Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have perhaps 4 seasons left in the career of the greatest player ever to don the Silver & Black. Why must we settle for a less than optimal supporting cast until then? Surely the Spurs don't believe that TD would leave in '08?

You keep TD by showing a commitment to winning. Now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get out the scratch fixing fluid.

The record is still skipping.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why am I not surprised that TPark still plays vinyl?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why am I not suprised youd keep saying the same things over and over.

For some reason you feel the need to pick up where Ghostwriter has retired and left off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wax on, wax off, Danielson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wtf?

he is back?

this team could use a mark bryant on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have perhaps 4 seasons left in the career of the greatest player ever to don the Silver & Black. Why must we settle for a less than optimal supporting cast until then? Surely the Spurs don't believe that TD would leave in '08?

You keep TD by showing a commitment to winning. Now.
    That's what I don't get, also. The Spurs are making moves to create cap room in the summer of 2009 or whatever it is ... but why?

The Big Three is in its prime right now. Duncan and Manu have nowhere to go but down. Now is the time you try to win. Not three seasons from now.

And it'd be different if cap room ever did anything for this team. The Spurs always strike out and settle for giving too much money to a player who doesn't deserve it. And nowadays, it's a lot harder to sign free-agents and there are many more restrictions.

The Spurs need to worry about winning today. If that means taking on a contract that extends past Duncan's playing time, so be it. You have maybe two more prime seasons for the Big Three. Don't waste that planning for 2011.

Spurs Fan In Milan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with Marcus and LJ.

reppin the 16th letter! Fillmoe's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    in 08 timmy wont even be much of a factor anymore..... he wearing down faster than a aging hooker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i rather win now, then later, who knows what heppens down teh road....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The trouble with the 08 plan is that I don't see who Spurs can sign. When I look at 08' FAs either :
    - They aren't good enough to get more than the MLE (no need to be under the cap in this case).
    - They are bad fit for Spurs.
    - They will be too expensive for the few cap space available for SPurs.
    - They are restricted.
    - They are old.

The only good FA I've found is Trevor Ariza and it's not even sure he will get more than the MLE. If there aren't good FAs, the 08 plan sucks.

Just kicking ass and winning Championships!!! VaSpursFan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And it'd be different if cap room ever did anything for this team. The Spurs always strike out and settle for giving too much money to a player who doesn't deserve it. And nowadays, it's a lot harder to sign free-agents and there are many more restrictions.

The Spurs need to worry about winning today. If that means taking on a contract that extends past Duncan's playing time, so be it. You have maybe two more prime seasons for the Big Three. Don't waste that planning for 2011.
    fantastic insight. i feel the same way. i cringe every time i hear about the spurs clearing cap room because it's fool's gold. they never get the player they target. which means most FA have a problem with coming to SA when they're in their prime. We tend to end up with the old farts in the twilight of their career chasing a championship.

RC/pop need to change their operating model, be innovative and forward thinking. the only way this team gets top players in their prime is through trades. we have to start targeting talent and trading for it. otherwise, we're gonna have a load of cap room and nothing to do with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great thread. I have thought the very same thing.

In the immortal words of one Mike Tyson "It's Ludicrous"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really think Spurs office either overestimated our big 3 or underestimated the rest of the league especially the Mavs or both. They basically fell asleep and listened too much to Charles Barkley who's been saying for 3 years in a row that we are almost a lock to win it all.

Guess what, our big 3 are still that good, but the supporting cast has actually gotten greatly worse and the rest of the league has gotten much better. Not to mention the way the officiating has changed which doesn't help the Spurs.

Well there is really nothing anybody can do at this point. We all must just hope our big 3 can carry us all the way, and if they do, they will be superheroes in my book. because it's looking very tough.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a dumb idea to be stuck on 2008 if you're thinking about selling the team.

But if you're not, then it's ing stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because the front office doesn't want their organization to go in the dumpster after 2010. You know there IS going to be life after TD and Manu, right? It's called a long-term plan. Vision.

With the cap money in '08 the Spurs can afford to go after a big-name free agent or get two or three complimentary players to work alongside Parker, who will be the franchise cornerstone in two or three years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure how much cap room they can clear in 2008. Looking at hoops hype it's not much. What, like $8M?

Oh, and PHAT TONY, I don't think Tony Parker will ever be a franchise cornerstone. He's not a franchise player, never will be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a dumb idea to be stuck on 2008 if you're thinking about selling the team.
    As cool as that would be, I just don't know of anyone of worth in SA, that would want to heap tons of money into em, and keep em here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not a franchise player, never will be.
    I can see how at 23 you can make that distinction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All of this talk presupposes there is a plan for 2008. But suppose there isn't a plan at all?

Perhaps the plan was that with the addition of Finley Barry and the usual (suspect) supporting cast, the Big three would be good enough to win it all or be in serious contention for the next few years without major additions.

At this point it looks like a miscalculation because Dallas and Phoenix appear to have gotten better. But the current team will have to play out the year(s) because we really don't have much to offer anyone in trade.

And all our young players are serious projects rather than 'can't miss' talents--including those guys in Europe.

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sure the Spurs will be here in 2008.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because the front office doesn't want their organization to go in the dumpster after 2010. You know there IS going to be life after TD and Manu, right? It's called a long-term plan. Vision.
    It's called it's time to tank until the Spurs can land another franchise bigman. When Tim and Manu are done, they aren't going to pull some magical free agents out of the ocean, plug them next to Tony and continue to win championships.

I don't know if Spurs fans realize how hard it is to win an NBA championship. , I don't even know if the Spurs realize that themselves. The time is now. In 2008 or 2011 or whatever, the ship will have sailed. It will be time to trade TP for younger prospects and draft picks and start over. Sad but true.

Spurs fans have between 2 and 5 good years left. After that, get used to mediocrity for a few decades. And no cap room would change that.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, the long-term plan is to say it for the rest of the Tim Duncan era so you can have a quality team in 2010?

Bull . I don't think our management is that stupid, though it's evident at least one person is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are we worried about 2010?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans have between 2 and 5 good years left. After that, get used to mediocrity for a few decades. And no cap room would change that.
    Do they have more than 1 year left? If they lose to the Mavericks in the postseason, do you really see them beating them a year from now?

Thread Information