Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Senator Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut — the leader of the hawkish "Scoop Jackson" wing of the Democratic Party — is responding positively to the suggestion that President Bush offer him a post in his Cabinet.

On Sunday, asked by interviewer Chris Wallace on Fox News whether he would accept such a position, Lieberman replied, "I'd certainly think about it."

Lieberman added that, discussion of himself aside, "it would be very good for the country to have some Democrats in the Cabinet" in order "to make clear to America and to the world that George Bush's policy in the war on terror is not just his policy, it's American policy."

The speculation that Bush might tap Lieberman, who flopped in the Democratic presidential primaries, for a Cabinet post has been advanced by his friend, Senator John McCain, an Arizona Republican, as well as by the neoconservative commentator William Kristol and by New Republic writer Lawrence Kaplan. Kaplan wrote in the magazine's November 16 online edition that Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld "and the neoconservatives around him will be departing soon enough — replaced, in all likelihood, by a senator, perhaps even Joe Lieberman.">
    Forward

Zell Miller didn't have Lieberman's back when Joe was running for President. In fact, the main reason I feel justified in calling Zell every name I can imagine--including a liar and a coward--is because he DID have a conservative Dem who shared his views on American security matters that he could've backed in the Presidential primary race, and he still didn't.

Perhaps Zell and Lieberman can have a duel for the cabinet position?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should be happy about this. Instead, you're dragging Lieberman through the mud.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's to be happy about? Lieberman selling out to the Neocons? If W wanted a loyal democrat named Joe in his cabinet it should have been Joe Biden.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is he selling out? Because he's a conservative Democrat who may be appointed to a Cabinet position? Isn't that better than a neoconservative Republican being appointed?

You guys scream for a bipartisan cabinet, then you trash any Democrat who becomes a part of that cabinet. It's like saying Republicans need to be more inclusive to blacks, then calling any black Republican an Uncle Tom.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now that Bush is trying to work with the Democratic party, anyone he works with is a sellout?

Dan, this nation will achieve greatness the sooner that people on both sides realize they need to work together, and do what is necessary to make that a reality.

The election's over, it's time to get some done in this country.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it is a good thing.
    I believe that republicans and democrats and conservatives and liberals can work together if they stop being so partisan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, Joe L never trashed the party, nor promoted their candidate at the GOP convention. There's only one ZELLout.

It's 11:46...and OU STILL sucks!!!!! jalbre6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it is a good thing. I believe that republicans and democrats and conservatives and liberals can work together if they stop being so partisan.
    Totally agree. I'm not a big Bush fan, but this would be a big first step into the healing process. I hope W does offer Lieberman a spot, and then I really hope Joe takes it. This would also mean to me that the president is seriously intent on reaching across the aisle. There is a lot of Americans that don't like the guy and can't believe he's still in office. The man's on the clock, with no third term possible. If he feels Lieberman is the best guy for a job, and it shows bipartisanship simultaneously, by all means this ought to happen.

What do Republicans think of this? This isn't an act of party treason or anything, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would fully support Lieberman in a cabinet position. It is time to come together for the sake of this great country. The likes of Dan will never conform to such an idea and that is very sad indeed. I think he is going to get left behind because of his agenda. That being ..anything Republican is bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    jalbre,

I think it's a good move. Joe's probably one of the more level-headed people left in the Democratic party.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, Joe L never trashed the party, nor promoted their candidate at the GOP convention. There's only one ZELLout.
    Bingo. Joe has always been a conservative democrat .. I don't get the outrage ..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can either about losing or get on board and try to help. I wonder what the world ridicules more...the fact that they don't like our Chief Executive or that us Demo's spend all our time talking about how much we don't like him. My boss at work is an asshole, but that doesn't stop me from working for him.

I'm over it. Others need to as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can either about losing or get on board and try to help. I wonder what the world ridicules more...the fact that they don't like our Chief Executive or that us Demo's spend all our time talking about how much we don't like him. My boss at work is an asshole, but that doesn't stop me from working for him.

I'm over it. Others need to as well.
    Kudos to you jalbre 6

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I figured it out. Dan thinks the real war shouldn't be America vs. radislam, but Demos vs. Republicans.

It's the only thing that makes sense.

Who is this guy, again? travis2's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make that its view of Democrats vs. its view of Republicans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can work together because not everything has to be this or that. If a pro-choice guy like Specter can still be leader in the conservatie republican party so can conservative democrats such as Joe Lieberman.
    I think quite a few conservatives have so called "liberal" views.

Bill Clinton made a great statement yesterday about how republicans and democrats can work together. "Our differences do matter, but our common humanity matters more."

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can work together because not everything has to be this or that. If a pro-choice guy like Specter can still be leader in the conservatie republican party so can conservative democrats such as Joe Lieberman.
    I think quite a few conservatives have so called "liberal" views.

Bill Clinton made a great statement yesterday about how republicans and democrats can work together. "Our differences do matter, but our common humanity matters more."
    Who is this Clin-ton? He should run for president!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dan,

Why is it when a Republican crosses party lines, he is a "man of convictions" honorable, etc, etc.... Can't remember his name, but when that Senator switched parties in 2000, the Democrats were just praising his name...

But a Democrat crosses... he is a sellout?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gopher, you know the answer to that one already. Demos want it both ways, and expect to have it both ways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some Republicans want it both ways too....that's why some marry Democrats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dan,

Why is it when a Republican crosses party lines, he is a "man of convictions" honorable, etc, etc.... Can't remember his name, but when that Senator switched parties in 2000, the Democrats were just praising his name...

But a Democrat crosses... he is a sellout?
    The answer is really simple. Normally, your right, bi-partisanship would be welcome, especially by a administration who has used every means possible, some legal and some not, to push its agenda, but this adminstration is different than others befrore it. Cabinet positions don't mean much to this White House since decisions seem to come from the top down. Therefore, any member of this cabinet is basically just a "yes" man.

Progressives have always been kinda ify in their relationship with the Hawkish Lieberman. Some admire his convictions, while others are suspecious about his true colors. Joining this administration kinda seals the deal in some minds that Lieberman has always been a democrat in name only. Not anything that is surpising really, just confirmation of long held suspecions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joining this administration kinda seals the deal in some minds that Lieberman has always been a democrat in name only.
    I disagree. If it wasn't for 600 or so people in Florida and some iffy ballots four years ago, Lieberman would be the VP of the United States right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree. If it wasn't for 600 or so people in Florida and some iffy ballots four years ago, Lieberman would be the VP of the United States right now.
    No thanks really to Lieberman though. He added very little to the Gore campaign. Gore would have had more success with Gephart or McCain, who may have been convinced to cross party lines back then given his strained relationship with W over the 2000 primaries, but since this was pre-911, the Democrats were thinking moderation, so they went with Lieberman.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't buy into the "true" republican or democrat because even I, as a democrat, do agree with some republicans and some of their views.

If I were not pro-choice can't I still be a democrat?
    If I am pro-choice can't I still be a republican?
    If I am for gay rights can't I still be a republican?
    If I am against gay rights can't I still be a democrat?

I don't know too many people who don't think outside the box.

Come on man...even former President Bush and President Bush gave praise to Bill Clinton yesterday. It can be done.

Stop the partisan BS and let's all have a group hug.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I were not pro-choice can't I still be a democrat?
    If I am pro-choice can't I still be a republican?
    If I am for gay rights can't I still be a republican?
    If I am against gay rights can't I still be a democrat?
    That's alright to about 60% of Americans Joe, but there is about 20% of Americans with a right-wing agenda to push and compromise isn't part of their plan.

Thread Information