Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I noticed you have braces. How long do you have to have them on and did you get any of that covered by insurance? I ask because I'm about to get braces, in fact tomorrow is my appt. to get the moldings done. just curious!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    I'm sure insurance would have covered it, but I have none.

As far as time goes, I'll have had them on about 3.5 years when I get them taken off, but I couldn't stay on schedule all the time because I was in DC, San Marcos and San Angelo for a long time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm sure insurance would have covered it, but I have none.

As far as time goes, I'll have had them on about 3.5 years when I get them taken off, but I couldn't stay on schedule all the time because I was in DC, San Marcos and San Angelo for a long time.
    were you meant to have it for 3.5 years or is it cause you couldn't stay on schedule? that's a long time! i hope I dont have to keep them that long lol. i have insurance and i'll be paying about $2,900. I figure that's an alright price. so any advice/tips about having braces? I know it's gonna suck. lol

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Spurfect, I think insurance covers part of it. I will be taking my son over the summer to get braces and everyone I've talked to said part of it's covered.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Spurfect, I think insurance covers part of it. I will be taking my son over the summer to get braces and everyone I've talked to said part of it's covered.
    yeah i think that without insurance, it's about $4K and I'll be paying $2,900. so yeah I think that's pretty good!

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I wish I never threw out my retainers years ago. I have one tooth that shifted a bit on top. I'm sure I'm the only one that notices. When I take my son in, I think I may ask about getting a retainer or something for myself.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I wish I never threw out my retainers years ago. I have one tooth that shifted a bit on top. I'm sure I'm the only one that notices. When I take my son in, I think I may ask about getting a retainer or something for myself.
    how long do you have to wear a retrainer after braces?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    depends on how much your teeth need to be moved. i had mine on for about a year when i was 12 or so, but i only needed a minor adjustment. my dad's had some patients who have had them for 2-3 years, but those are usually fairly extreme cases. i think i remember him saying that you need less and less checkups these days, that would be a good thing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    depends on how much your teeth need to be moved. i had mine on for about a year when i was 12 or so, but i only needed a minor adjustment. my dad's had some patients who have had them for 2-3 years, but those are usually fairly extreme cases. i think i remember him saying that you need less and less checkups these days, that would be a good thing.
    mine is major. haha. i figure 2 1/2 years to 3. though I hope it's closer to 2. i may need jaw surgery as well
    I think the orthodontist told me check ups are once a month.. i can handle that.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Honestly, I don't think you should ever stop wearing them. I only wore mine at night cuz I would lisp if I wore them. I got my braces off when I was 14 and probably stopped wearing my retainers after a few years. I think when my wisdom teeth came in when I was around 17, it shifted my teeth some. I also had to have 4 teeth pulled, but I don't know if they do that much anymore.

Anyway, when I would occasionally wear them here and there, my mouth would be so sore, which tells me my teeth had moved some.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Honestly, I don't think you should ever stop wearing them. I only wore mine at night cuz I would lisp if I wore them. I got my braces off when I was 14 and probably stopped wearing my retainers after a few years. I think when my wisdom teeth came in when I was around 17, it shifted my teeth some. I also had to have 4 teeth pulled, but I don't know if they do that much anymore.

Anyway, when I would occasionally wear them here and there, my mouth would be so sore, which tells me my teeth had moved some.
    they did pull a tooth and will probably have to pull more. it's going to suck i know it . i didn't know you had to wear the retainer for like ever, lol. but i guess it's worth it to have good teeth

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears

I noticed you have braces, I have braces too.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    they did pull a tooth and will probably have to pull more. it's going to suck i know it . i didn't know you had to wear the retainer for like ever, lol. but i guess it's worth it to have good teeth
    Well, maybe not FOREVER! I do think in my case, my wisdom teeth factored into it some. But like I said, I'm the only one that notices it and I notice it more in pictures.

Cuz you know how we like to zero in on our flaws and not the good things

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    I just wear my retainer at night when I go to sleep, but my Doctor told me I had to wear it for 2 years straight full time, then only at night, which is a load of BS and he kept asking me to come back for more appointments to charge me more, ing scammer.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well, maybe not FOREVER! I do think in my case, my wisdom teeth factored into it some. But like I said, I'm the only one that notices it and I notice it more in pictures.

Cuz you know how we like to zero in on our flaws and not the good things
    i know. that's why i hate people taking pics of me, cause i hate smiling. i'm gonna hate smiling for another 2 1/2 to 3 years...lol but.. hopefully after that i'll be a little bit happier.
    then I'll start complaining about my freckles

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I still have a permanent retainer behind my bottom teeth. That's probably the way to go. Flossing's a little more complicated but you get used to it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    I've never had to wear braces.

Of course I don't have any teeth either...

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I still have a permanent retainer behind my bottom teeth. That's probably the way to go. Flossing's a little more complicated but you get used to it.
    These were the kind of retainers I had.

http://www.archwired.com/images/My_Retainers.jpg

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    they look scary. lol

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

yeah, that's kinda what i want to avoid.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i know. that's why i hate people taking pics of me, cause i hate smiling. i'm gonna hate smiling for another 2 1/2 to 3 years...lol but.. hopefully after that i'll be a little bit happier.
    then I'll start complaining about my freckles

It doesn't get better as you get older!

My sister had to wear braces twice. We were living in Luxembourg at the time and the orthodontist she went to, while having trained in the USA, had very outdated methods. He pushed her teeth in so far that when she smiled from the side her teeth tilted in. When we moved back to the states, she had to go through another round of braces for 2.5 years, cuz he messed them up so badly.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

It doesn't get better as you get older!

My sister had to wear braces twice. We were living in Luxembourg at the time and the orthodontist she went to, while having trained in the USA, had very outdated methods. He pushed her teeth in so far that when she smiled from the side her teeth tilted in. When we moved back to the states, she had to go through another round of braces for 2.5 years, cuz he messed them up so badly.
    oh wow that's horrible. your poor sister... i'd hate to have to go through that TWICE. yeah my sister right now has them. i see her when she gets the braces tightened and she's in pain.. ugh not looking foward to it. just doesn't look fun at all.

may the force kick yo ass ObiwanGinobili's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

so do the guys pay you more $$ for that?

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    oh wow that's horrible. your poor sister... i'd hate to have to go through that TWICE. yeah my sister right now has them. i see her when she gets the braces tightened and she's in pain.. ugh not looking foward to it. just doesn't look fun at all.

Advil will become your friend, with a chaser of Tequila!

They've come a long way with braces. Back in the dark ages, all we had were full metal brackets! I also had to wear a headgear (but only at night, thank God!).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I noticed you have braces. How long do you have to have them on and did you get any of that covered by insurance? I ask because I'm about to get braces, in fact tomorrow is my appt. to get the moldings done. just curious!
    They didn't already tell you how long you have to wear them? Maybe when you go in tomorrow they will. Good luck!!

Thread Information