Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    THANK YOU BASED NEAL ClingingMars's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Post Count
    4,729


    -Mars

  2. #2
    Veteran
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Post Count
    497
    i sure don't...

    (btw, i live in canada)

  3. #3
    Based dirk4mvp's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Post Count
    24,173
    no

  4. #4
    Green 4 3 for 6 dg7md's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Post Count
    4,720
    I do.

    Sorry that it's not jampacked with pro-Americana stuff so you can't enjoy the constant fast-paced back and forth type playing. Seriously, overtime hockey is some of the best entertainment around, period. You never know what the will happen and there is no time where you're "safe" on offense since it's never guaranteeing a position. There's a few theories for this lack of major popularity all around the 50 states.

    America loves baseball but hardly care for hockey unless they live in a place where a hockey team is... why? I like baseball but hockey is the most physical sport out of the 'major' sports here (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL), followed by football, but even then rugby is more physical yet nobody cares about that at all here; but that is accepted because it doesn't have teams.

    Could it do with the fact that it doesn't snow much in the more southern states? Could be, because most people from Michigan (hockeytown), Minnesota, etc. happen to enjoy the game a lot.

    Yet... when I go to Stars games, the fans are rowdy and some of the craziest I've seen at games live...

    I swear if they had more Americans playing, Americans would care, that's the major deal embeded in the logic of many Americans (especially in the deep south). Notice nobody cares about the NBA unless it has a major (American) star taking over? The NBA was nothing until LeBron stepped into the game and made it popular again. The "new Jordan" philosophy.

    That is my opinion but I can pretty much assure it is fact, but there are variables around that make it difficult to figure out just why people don't care, it's an excellent, exciting sport, yet why don't people care?

    I do think when Crosby blows up, it'll be more popular, NHL was pretty damn popular in the 90's with Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, Yzerman, Jagr, plus coming off the Miracle on Ice, one of America's most shining sports moments...

    NHL's American popularity is reliant on Crosby, Ovechkin, and other prospects.
    Last edited by Doghouse MD; 06-07-2007 at 03:58 AM.

  5. #5
    Winning is boring. flipcritic's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Post Count
    592
    What's hockey?

  6. #6
    POW! POW! Evan's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Post Count
    8,499
    I do.

    Sorry that it's not jampacked with pro-Americana stuff so you can't enjoy the constant fast-paced back and forth type playing. Seriously, overtime hockey is some of the best entertainment around, period. You never know what the will happen and there is no time where you're "safe" on offense since it's never guaranteeing a position. There's a few theories for this lack of major popularity all around the 50 states.

    America loves baseball but hardly care for hockey unless they live in a place where a hockey team is... why? I like baseball but hockey is the most physical sport out of the 'major' sports here (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL), followed by football, but even then rugby is more physical yet nobody cares about that at all here; but that is accepted because it doesn't have teams.

    Could it do with the fact that it doesn't snow much in the more southern states? Could be, because most people from Michigan (hockeytown), Minnesota, etc. happen to enjoy the game a lot.

    Yet... when I go to Stars games, the fans are rowdy and some of the craziest I've seen at games live...

    I swear if they had more Americans playing, Americans would care, that's the major deal embeded in the logic of many Americans (especially in the deep south). Notice nobody cares about the NBA unless it has a major (American) star taking over? The NBA was nothing until LeBron stepped into the game and made it popular again. The "new Jordan" philosophy.

    That is my opinion but I can pretty much assure it is fact, but there are variables around that make it difficult to figure out just why people don't care, it's an excellent, exciting sport, yet why don't people care?

    I do think when Crosby blows up, it'll be more popular, NHL was pretty damn popular in the 90's with Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, Yzerman, Jagr, plus coming off the Miracle on Ice, one of America's most shining sports moments...

    NHL's American popularity is reliant on Crosby, Ovechkin, and other prospects.
    Do you realize that 3 of the 5 Spurs starters are international players? 4 if Finley doesn't start.

    The NHL's problem is their idiocy in having that failed strike. They were gaining in popularity but were not strong enough to sustain a prolonged work stoppage. I myself can't get back into hockey and I guarantee I am one of the biggest fans of international sports on this forum and I probably rank pretty high among Americans in my demographic nationwide. My 3 favorite sports are NFL - MMA and Euro Football (soccer). The latter 2 doesn't get much more international than that does it? The strike simply killed my interest, and obviously many others. It has nothing to do with "American" nationality. Failed ratings and poor attendance, not to forget a pathetic TV deal have a direct correlation between the pre and post strike timeline.

    Baseball continues to grow more international by the year.

    And I don't even know how to address that Lebron somehow saved the NBA...Thats too silly to even argue I think. You called the NBA nothing until he came around! wow.
    Last edited by Evan; 06-07-2007 at 10:40 AM.

  7. #7
    Green 4 3 for 6 dg7md's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Post Count
    4,720
    Do you realize that 3 of the 5 Spurs starters are international players? 4 if Finley doesn't start.

    The NHL's problem is their idiocy in having that failed strike. They were gaining in popularity but were not strong enough to sustain a prolonged work stoppage. I myself can't get back into hockey and I guarantee I am one of the biggest fans of international sports on this forum and I probably rank pretty high among Americans in my demographic nationwide. My 3 favorite sports are NFL - MMA and Euro Football (soccer). The latter 2 doesn't get much more international than that does it? The strike simply killed my interest, and obviously many others. It has nothing to do with "American" nationality. Failed ratings and poor attendance, not to forget a pathetic TV deal have a direct correlation between the pre and post strike timeline.

    Baseball continues to grow more international by the year.

    And I don't even know how to address that Lebron somehow saved the NBA...Thats too silly to even argue I think. You called the NBA nothing until he came around! wow.
    Nope. The NBA wasn't "nothing" but look at the ratings post-Jordan era. I was referring to the day after Jordan retired as "the NBA was nothing before him"... how many regularly followed the NBA until LeBron stepped up into the league? Why else is the league so happy LeBron is in the limelight now? Ratings. Casual fans... merchandise...

    Casual fans are really what everyone caters for in sports, and without a mega-star they have nothing to advertise. Of course WE (Spurs fans) watched, because our era begun after Jordan retired, but so many people stopped caring about the NBA after Jordan left, it's so ridiculous. The NBA is basically a superstar league, you can have great talent but if you don't have a superstar you are considered "boring"... look at the Spurs, why are we "boring"? Not because we actually are, but because we don't have a 25ppg scorer who can entertain those casual fans that tend to watch and are more favorable to the superstars of the NBA.

    LeBron, Carmelo, Wade, Oden, Durant, Howard... the NBA is now set for a while and they are pretty happy about it.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Post Count
    332
    The Problem with Hockey is that it is not on ESPN. I am sorry but Versus is just not the market that ESPN.

    Hockey needs to change the commissioner since the current Commish is the one who let the league sit out a whole season. Even Bud did not do that.
    They need to cut about 2-4 teams IMO to get more good teams. Also they need to market its players and that is where ESPN comes in at. If ESPN covers the sport it gets better coverage on sportscenter and all around.

    But yes I do care about the NHL. Although it is way behind the NFL and NBA. Nothing beats a good playoff series in Hockey.IMO

  9. #9
    <><><><><><> ALVAREZ6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Post Count
    20,267
    I hate hockey....




    this morning when I turned on the TV and saw the Ducks became champs, I was like WTF, I thought the NHL championship has been goin on for month now??? Takin longer than the NBA playoffs.

  10. #10
    Veteran velik_m's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Post Count
    9,303
    Hockey is fun, quick paced, phisical sport. And Kopitar rocks!

  11. #11
    I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Post Count
    24,176
    Nope. The NBA wasn't "nothing" but look at the ratings post-Jordan era. I was referring to the day after Jordan retired as "the NBA was nothing before him"... how many regularly followed the NBA until LeBron stepped up into the league? Why else is the league so happy LeBron is in the limelight now? Ratings. Casual fans... merchandise...

    Casual fans are really what everyone caters for in sports, and without a mega-star they have nothing to advertise. Of course WE (Spurs fans) watched, because our era begun after Jordan retired, but so many people stopped caring about the NBA after Jordan left, it's so ridiculous. The NBA is basically a superstar league, you can have great talent but if you don't have a superstar you are considered "boring"... look at the Spurs, why are we "boring"? Not because we actually are, but because we don't have a 25ppg scorer who can entertain those casual fans that tend to watch and are more favorable to the superstars of the NBA.

    LeBron, Carmelo, Wade, Oden, Durant, Howard... the NBA is now set for a while and they are pretty happy about it.
    the NHL and hockey both have limited appeal in most of the US. basically because you can't walk out your front door and play it whenever you want. anyone can pick up a football, basketball, baseball and glove and play with someone. not everyone can jump out on the ice and play hockey. in the north it's a bit more feasible, but it's just not as accessible a sport as the rest.

  12. #12
    I abhor ugliness Vizzini's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Post Count
    778
    First of all, I love hockey. It is by far the best sport to attend in person. Non stop action, end to end skating and knowing you really shouldn't look away b/c the puck could end up in the back of the net in just a heartbeat.

    Second, everyone refers to the NHL Strike, but it wasn't a strike, it was a lockout, the owners were the ones who shut the doors, refusing to start up again until there was a salary cap.

    Third, I think the reason that hockey isn't more popular has to do with the logisitcs and the huge costs of playing hockey in youth leagues. You can't go out and find a skating rink, or an empty parking lot, then supply nets, skates, pads, sticks and the puck, then have enough people to actually play a compe ive game, and still have two people who have goalie gear, to actually make it like the actual game.

  13. #13
    TheDrewShow is salty lefty's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Post Count
    101,216
    Hockey is great to watch, especially when Crosby, Ovechkin, Lecavalier or Kovalev have the puck ; these guys are pure showmen.

  14. #14
    Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Post Count
    10,571
    Hockey is great to watch, especially when Crosby, Ovechkin, Lecavalier or Kovalev have the puck ; these guys are pure showmen.
    Hahahahah...LOL.....

    maybe Kovalev in a Penguins jersey this was true.

  15. #15
    Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Post Count
    10,571
    I dont care if people like hockey or not. You either get it, or you dont. Oh well.

  16. #16
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Post Count
    2
    Lets Go Buffalo!!!!

    hockey is sick. its so fast. this was a great season even if the sabres didnt win it all. looking forward to the offseason, wondering if drury and briere will stay.

  17. #17
    Ubuntu Tippecanoe's Avatar
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Post Count
    1,959
    i only care that the stanley cup stays in the states

  18. #18
    TheDrewShow is salty lefty's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Post Count
    101,216
    Hahahahah...LOL.....

    maybe Kovalev in a Penguins jersey this was true.
    Well, his numbers have really dropped, because he doesn't show up every night, but when he wants to play, man, he really plays ; he is still one of the most talented offensive players in the NHL.

  19. #19
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Post Count
    225

  20. #20
    Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Post Count
    10,571
    Well, his numbers have really dropped, because he doesn't show up every night, but when he wants to play, man, he really plays ; he is still one of the most talented offensive players in the NHL.
    That sounds strangley familiar to a similar moniker given to another Russian player with more talent than God should give to a human.

    Sergei Fedorov

  21. #21
    TheDrewShow is salty lefty's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Post Count
    101,216
    That sounds strangley familiar to a similar moniker given to another Russian player with more talent than God should give to a human.

    Sergei Fedorov

    Spot on

  22. #22
    Ballin' OldDirtMcGirt's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Post Count
    825
    I like hockey, although it's pretty damn painful to watch the Coyotes these days.

  23. #23
    Thank God I'm a country boy! djohn14's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Post Count
    2,613
    I kindof like the Blues.

  24. #24
    Believe. JROLLA's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Post Count
    13
    I live in Detroit. Hockey is possibly my favorite sport, and No I'm not Canadian. I'm Hispanic.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •