Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    In a live radio broadcast on Friday July 20th current ESPN writer Marc Stein is reporting that Donaghy was working a side job as time keeper in the 2004-05 Spurs vs. Lakers game 5 where Derek Fisher made the winning shot with .4 of a second left on the clock. Stein says he had $20K riding on the Lakers and started the clock .2 seconds late enabling Fisher to make the game winning buzzer beater and keeping the Spurs from a repeat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    link, biotch!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a live radio broadcast on Friday July 20th current ESPN writer Marc Stein is reporting that Donaghy was working a side job as time keeper in the 2004-05 Spurs vs. Lakers game 5 where Derek Fisher made the winning shot with .4 of a second left on the clock. Stein says he had $20K riding on the Lakers and started the clock .2 seconds late enabling Fisher to make the game winning buzzer beater and keeping the Spurs from a repeat.
    Yeah that'd be nuts...but it doesn't give solace. Spurs would've still run up against a resilient Piston team that everyone....including the Spurs...would've underestimated.

Still....good find.

Believe.
    My Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Post Count
    someone posted it on this hiphop forum i know,he didnt provide a link...but really thats gotta be real shocking if found true

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would have happened if Fisher missed that shot anyway?

Bruce!...don't Bump The Mango Tree koopa's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that'd be nuts...but it doesn't give solace. Spurs would've still run up against a resilient Piston team that everyone....including the Spurs...would've underestimated.

Still....good find.
    we would've beat them, the pistons team we played was better then the pistons team that beat the lakers, sure it was the same players but they had better chemistry when we played them, plus the lakers were broken when they played that's the only reason the pistons won so easily, and the spurs don't underestimate teams in the post season

and that's gay if the first post is true, i had to suffer cause one of my friends is a laker rider and brings the .4 up on the reg.........

Bruce!...don't Bump The Mango Tree koopa's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would have happened if Fisher missed that shot anyway?
    then Donaghy would've lost his money and then the mob would have to cut his off........and then the spurs would've went on to win back to back

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well spank my ass and call me Charlie, isn't that nice...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

4 titles 9 years
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sureeeeeeeee

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, um, I'm pretty certain that NBA officials don't serve as timekeepers ever, even during playoff games. Donaghy wasn't an official for Game 5 of the 2004 WCSF -- it was Dan Crawford, Joe Forte and Ron Garretson.

Moreover, the .4 shot wouldn't have moved the line in a meaningful way unless the line was Spurs -.5. It also wouldn't have made much difference in terms of affecting an over/under.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bogus, but mildly humorous.

The way it was reported at the time, the three officials (Dan Crawford, Joe Forte, and Ronnie Garretson) had a remote clock-starting device on their belts.

Unfortunately for the Spurs and fortunately for the Lakers, not one of the three refs could react brain-to-hand quickly enough to start the clock after the catch without allowing an extra .3 or .4 of a second. They just as well may have reset the clock to .8 seconds with reaction time the way it was.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    we would've beat them, the pistons team we played was better then the pistons team that beat the lakers, sure it was the same players but they had better chemistry when we played them, plus the lakers were broken when they played that's the only reason the pistons won so easily, and the spurs don't underestimate teams in the post season

and that's gay if the first post is true, i had to suffer cause one of my friends is a laker rider and brings the .4 up on the reg.........
    You are wrong the Pistons 2004 team was better then 2005 due to Larry had them ready to play. The Spurs would have lost in 6 sorry I like the spurs and their fans.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's rumors like this that lower us to the level of many Phoenix Suns fans. Do you realize how absurd this sounds?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard he helped fake the moon landing....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are wrong the Pistons 2004 team was better then 2005 due to Larry had them ready to play. The Spurs would have lost in 6 sorry I like the spurs and their fans.

Sorry but I really have to disagree.. the Spurs dominated the Pistons that year... the Pistons somewhat feared the Spurs in that season overrall... after beating the Lakers they became a worthy opponent...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    give me a credible link

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny story.

And BTW, Tim Duncan's shot before Fisher's went through the hoop at .8 anyway. So Fisher deserved a little extra time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny story.

And BTW, Tim Duncan's shot before Fisher's went through the hoop at .8 anyway. So Fisher deserved a little extra time
    I'd bet my house he can't make that shot again, even 10 more tries. And I'd bet some money he would've breathed a little easier and released the ball a little different with 0.8 left instead of 0.4.

I have a betting problem too I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And league says that .4 is enough time to catch and shoot, so they would have had to let it stand.

DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY!!! YODA's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I recall corectly, The refs on floor have thew ability to start the clock too, so it wasnt just the time keeper, but all the refs too. NOT likely.

Yoda

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I heard Donaghy gave Fisher tiny magnets to put on the basketball as he shot it ... my gosh, David Blaine was right!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny story.

yep.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So if Marc Stein truly made that report live and Donaghy REALLY was not there at the .4 game, where on the all-time credibility list does that place Mr. Stein?

“They do a great job of their system and staying true to form,
    making big plays in big moments,” Suns coach Mike D'Antoni
    told reporters in Phoenix on Thursday. “That's what we're
    trying to get. Mental toughness, being lucky, I don't know
    what it is.”

The Spurs, D”Antoni added, just seem to “believe a little
    bit more.”
    “All the time,” he said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Although I would love to believe this I have to place the blame on Derek Fisher being way too lucky.

Thread Information