Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Playlist > Yours Pistons < Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    The Mavericks know that protesting a loss won't change anything about their 111-107 loss to Indiana on Friday.

But if it draws more attention to what the Mavericks view as incorrect officiating and leads to change, then it will be worth the effort.

They filed an official protest with NBA officials Saturday about the loss to the Pacers. At issue was a 3-pointer by Troy Murphy that came early in the second quarter. Owner Mark Cuban said the referees were alerted to the fact that Murphy was inside the arc.

"[The] official scorer said he notified the crew, and no action was taken," Cuban said. "We are protesting that a correctible error was not corrected."

The lead referee Friday was Bennett Salvatore, who has a history of controversy with the Mavericks. He also made one of the most curious calls of the night on a fast break by Devin Harris, on which a non-shooting foul was called. That play was not included in the Mavericks' protest, nor were many others.

"We didn't protest any other calls, but we certainly questioned quite a few that went for us and against us," Cuban said.

Avery Johnson was ejected in the game, and Dirk Nowitzki and Murphy received technical fouls.

Most likely, the protest will yield no satisfaction for the Mavericks, other than peace of mind. The most extreme action would be replaying the rest of the game from the point that the incident occurred. But even Cuban admitted that's not the point.

"It puts it on record that it happened," Cuban said. "Hopefully it will lead to procedures being put in place by the league to keep this from happening again."

League officials did not respond to emails Saturday night.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....3750b371.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    now that is sad

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I don't think this is about sore loserism so much as it is that Bennett Salvatore is a ty in' ref, and all 30 teams would benefit from him not officiating games anymore. Not that Stern would ever discipline or punish a ref, Crawford-Duncan aside.
    Last edited by Findog; 11-25-2007 at 04:58 AM.

These aren't the droids you're looking for jman3000's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'd like to see the play in question.. anybody have a link?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    i'd like to see the play in question.. anybody have a link?
    http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/story/2007/11/24/123759/26

San Antonio, I'll be there in 2008! SpursWillOwn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    asterisk the pacers win then

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    asterisk the pacers win then
    I honestly don't think that's the point. We played ty, we lost. And we had over 30 FTAs in the game, that's not the issue either.

How does a ref get fired in the NBA? It seems like nothing short of messing with the point spread will get you in trouble. Salvatore is as bad as they come.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Devin Harris would have shot the ball instead of accentuating the flop, he not only would have gone to the line he probably also makes the basket.

Yeah he should have gone to the line but some of the blame goes to the unnecessary floppage.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sorry, but the reason it's called a "shooting foul" is that you have to actually SHOOT THE GODDAMN BALL.

Ref: *TWEET* Foul! Out on the side.
    Player: I was shooting the ball.
    Ref: Really? Where's the ball now?
    Player: Right here in my hands.
    Ref: I thought you said you were shooting the ball.
    Player: Well, I was GONNA shoot it. I was running toward the basket and stuff. Doesn't that count?
    Ref: Did you actually shoot the ball?
    Player: Well, not actually. But I was GONNA.
    Ref: *sigh* Do I really have to tell you?
    Player: I'll take it out on the side.

IMO it was a good call. Even if it wasn't, in a season where they are making a point of cutting way down on contiuation calls it's not remotely surprising that they'd make that call, especially if the player doesn't have the sense to let go of the ball. The sense of en lement from the Mavericks just staggers me.

And I could have sworn that the three pointer was called by Violet Palmer, NOT Salvatore. I did actually watch the game. The Mavs were seething and never really got past it. They ed about that call during every timeout. I think it contributed to the hard fouls and AJ's ejection. Cuban really only has himself to blame for that loss; it's not surprising that he'd file a protest.
    Last edited by Obstructed_View; 11-25-2007 at 10:00 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should've thrown it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And what about the 3 by Murphy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And what about the 3 by Murphy?
    Mark Followill said it was a flat blown call, that Troy was clearly inside the arc and that Violet just gave the wrong hand signal.

Funny how the integrity of the game only enters Mark Cuban's mind following a loss or a call that goes against him, though.
    Last edited by Obstructed_View; 11-25-2007 at 10:09 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was inside the arc. It was just flat wrong. Funny how the integrity of the game only enters Mark Cuban's mind following a loss or a call that goes against him, though.
    Is there a video?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's why I changed my quote, because I just accepted what Followill said without seeing the play. Knowing Mavs fans, I'm sure it's around here somewhere.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Eh...who gives a crap right now anyway? Only about 70 more games to fix things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh...who gives a crap right now anyway? Only about 70 more games to fix things.
    Well, a loss might make a difference down the road, so I understand why it's important. The Mavs lost by more than that one point, so it didn't matter in the the outcome of the game unless you factor in all those technical and flagrant free throws that resulted later in the game. I really think the Mavs would have had a better chance of winning that game if they'd just let it go, and that was a much bigger factor in the loss.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Cuban continues to embarrass himself and all Mavericks fans.

What a this guy is.

"HE WAS INSIDE THE THREE POINT LINE!!! WE WANT THE SCORE CORRECTED NOW!!!"

"Ok...you still lost by three".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another interesting thing is that it looks like AJ was ejected but there were no technical fouls called, and therefore no free throws awarded. Anybody know offhand what the rule is regarding that? The NBA should probably make a rule stating that for every fifteen seconds that you don't leave the court after an ejection, a free throw is awarded to the other team.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    mark cuban = bill polian

Spurs, Colts, Cowboys, and Irish SpursFanFirst's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coaches get mad all the time, but the way AJ was going after that ref in the video was a tad over the top

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coaches get mad all the time, but the way AJ was going after that ref in the video was a tad over the top
    I really think having to hear Cuban screech at the officials about three pointer for the entire game just finally got to him, as well as the rest of the team. That "we can't get a break" mentality can be debilitating. I think he just boiled over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another interesting thing is that it looks like AJ was ejected but there were no technical fouls called, and therefore no free throws awarded. Anybody know offhand what the rule is regarding that? The NBA should probably make a rule stating that for every fifteen seconds that you don't leave the court after an ejection, a free throw is awarded to the other team.
    There were free throws for AJ's two technicals.

8:36 Murphy Turnover:Lost Ball (2 TO) Steal:Terry (2 ST)
    8:34 Dunleavy Foul:Personal (3 PF)
    8:34 Timeout: Official
    8:34 Johnson Foul:Technical 8:34
    8:34 [IND 95-89] Granger Free Throw Technical (20 PTS)
    8:34 Johnson Foul:Technical 8:34
    8:34 Granger Free Throw Technical missed
    8:34 Johnson Ejection:Second Technical 8:34

http://www.nba.com/games/20071123/DA...laybyplay.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you. ESPN has only Dirk and Murphy's technicals listed in the box score.

Spurs, Colts, Cowboys, and Irish SpursFanFirst's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really think having to hear Cuban screech at the officials about three pointer for the entire game just finally got to him, as well as the rest of the team. That "we can't get a break" mentality can be debilitating. I think he just boiled over.
    Yeah, I agree. I can see how that would be the case.
    But, I don't think it's just this one game. AJ seems to be a bit of a hot head, ready to explode at any moment and any situation.

Thread Information