Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Greatest Show on Earth LakeShow's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    What is the Spurs criteria for retired numbers?

How in the can they retire AJ without retiring Elliott? I'm happy for AJ but that is an honor unsurpassed for an organization. Does AJ fit in that group? The lakers have had a lot of players that fit the AJ mode., Scott, Wilkes, Hairston, Rambis, Nixon, etc. There would be no numbers left if they retired all of the players in the AJ class. Don't you think you're insulting alot of former Spurs players by retiring AJ's number?

Take a look at the Lakers retired numbers and the players that wore them.

Retired Numbers: (7)

13 - Wilt Chamberlain
    22 - Elgin Baylor
    25 - Gail Goodrich
    32 - Magic Johnson
    33 - Kareem Abdul Jabar
    42 - James Worthy
    44 - Jerry West

All of these players are also in the Hall of fame.

Lakers in the Hall of Fame: (16)

1959 - George Mikan
    1975 - Bill Sharman
    1976 - Elgin Baylor
    1977 - Jim Pollard
    1978 - Wilt Chamberlain
    1978 - Pete Newell
    1979 - Jerry West
    1981 - Slater Martin
    1995 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Vern Mikkelsen
    1996 - Gail Goodrich
    2000 - Robert McAdoo
    2002 - Earvin "Magic" Johnson
    2003 - James Worthy
    2004 - Bill Sharman
    2007 - Phil Jackson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How in the can they retire AJ without retiring Elliott?
    Umm... Elliott's number was retired two years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

thread fail

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Umm... Elliott's number was retired two years ago.
    , i thought I heard it but I looked it up and they didn't have it listed, My bad, but still....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say fail but at least he spelled Elliott right.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Damn Outdated website,

http://www.thesportsroadtrip.com/halloffame.html

what numbers are retired by the spurs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yeah that's more like it, Robinson wasn't even on that list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Retiring a jersey is something decided by a franchise.
    Every Franchise set the bar at the level they want and it's not only based on the level of play but also on what the player means to the team history or to the communauty.
    Spurs have set the bare at a lower level than Lakers. It's their choice and you can't really say that the Lakers or Spurs choice is better than the other.
    The only thing that you could criticize is if a franchise isn't consistent and snub some players. as an example, I have nothing against Spurs retiring Avery number as long as they retire bowen number when he will retire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are the Lakers going to retire Shaq's number?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Are the Lakers going to retire Shaq's number?
    I'm sure they will. They should!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Retiring a jersey is something decided by a franchise.
    Every Franchise set the bar at the level they want and it's not only based on the level of play but also on what the player means to the team history or to the communauty.
    Spurs have set the bare at a lower level than Lakers. It's their choice and you can't really say that the Lakers or Spurs choice is better than the other.
    The only thing that you could criticize is if a franchise isn't consistent and snub some players. as an example, I have nothing against Spurs retiring Avery number as long as they retire bowen number when he will retire.
    What about Alvin Robertson? I know he moved on to play alot of years with other teams but everytime I think about him, i think Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say fail but at least he spelled Elliott right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alvin's best years were the equal of any Spur guard not named George Gervin, but he didn't really stay with the Spurs long enough, and then his numerous subsequent arrests guaranteed it would never happen.

The guys who really have an argument now that Moore and AJ's have been retired are Mike Mitc and Larry Kenon.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AJ kicked ass with the Spurs, and that's what counts.Period.
    It don't matter where He's working right now.
    It's a retired Jersey,not a retired coach suit.

Veteran
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    When is Stephen Jackson's jersey retirement?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys think Gilmore will have his retired?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One main difference between the Spurs and the Lakers is the Spurs didn't inherit a championship team like the Lakers did. Minneapolis set the groundwork for the Lakers' success so by the time the team got to LA, it was easy to only accept the best.

With the Spurs in San Antonio, they actually had to set their own foundation. So the players who got the Spurs over the hump meant more to this franchise. Los Angeles inherited a team that was already over the hump with five championships in the bag. The team was one year removed from yet another trip the finals when it moved to LA.

If AJ played for the Spurs today, no way he would get his jersey retired. But the players who helped turn this franchise from contender to champions should have been and were honored.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Alvin's best years were the equal of any Spur guard not named George Gervin, but he didn't really stay with the Spurs long enough, and then his numerous subsequent arrests guaranteed it would never happen.

The guys who really have an argument now that Moore and AJ's have been retired are Mike Mitc and Larry Kenon.
    ok, I see. That's tough for Alvin, he really earned that honor during his years there.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    One main difference between the Spurs and the Lakers is the Spurs didn't inherit a championship team like the Lakers did. Minneapolis set the groundwork for the Lakers' success so by the time the team got to LA, it was easy to only accept the best.

With the Spurs in San Antonio, they actually had to set their own foundation. So the players who got the Spurs over the hump meant more to this franchise. Los Angeles inherited a team that was already over the hump with five championships in the bag. The team was one year removed from yet another trip the finals when it moved to LA.

If AJ played for the Spurs today, no way he would get his jersey retired. But the players who helped turn this franchise from contender to champions should have been and were honored.
    If you're going by that i understand. Avery was there before he became a champion with the Spurs so he did play a part in your turnaround.

Always waiting for the next game
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    laker fan is just fishing. instead of asking spurs fans why the spurs organization is retiring somebody's jersey, why don't you ask the hall of fame why artis gilmore isn't in it yet? he's clearly bigger than a lot of players that are in the hall of fame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artis_Gilmore

Hall of Fame candidacy

Despite an ABA career in which he averaged 22.3 points and 17.1 rebounds per game, NBA career averages of 17.1 points and 10.1 rebounds per game, Gilmore has yet to be elected to the Hall of Fame; he is one of several former ABA MVPs who have not received the honor. In addition to being pro basketball's all-time most successful field goal percentage shooter, Gilmore ranks among the top 25 all-time point scorers, as well as in the top ten in rebounds, blocked shots, games and minutes played. No other players with comparable statistical accomplishments have been omitted from the Hall of Fame. Gilmore remains ineligible for consideration of Hall of Fame enshrinement until 2012. For the past three years he failed to receive a single vote of support from a panel of nine basketball experts serving on the North American screening committee. This committee is anonymous.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    laker fan is just fishing. instead of asking spurs fans why the spurs organization is retiring somebody's jersey, why don't you ask the hall of fame why artis gilmore isn't in it yet? he's clearly bigger than a lot of players that are in the hall of fame.

Agree with that...Atrist should have been in the Hall years ago...and is the guy most deserving not in the Hall. I'm not sure what kind of case he has for Spurs jersey retirment, because his career was spent with so many different teams...but he's definitely a HOFer.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    He should be in the Hall. I'm really not fishing I was just curious on how and why Avery was selected. He didn't have a stellar career as a player over the years, but he was there to help you win your first le.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe George Mikan's number is not retired by the Lakers....he was their first great player and force behind more of their championships than just about any other player outside of Magic.

As for the Spurs criteria:

Silas - Career Spur, first face of the franchise.
    Gervin - Franchise, one of the NBA's greatest.
    Moore - Mainly...tragic figure, career Spur.
    Drob - Franchise, one of NBA's greatest. One of cities greatest.
    Elliott - Career Spur, inspirational figure.
    AJ - Career Spur who wasn't really a career Spur, Inspirational who is not that inspiriational at times. Made the right friends...with the heart of the franchise, the head of the franchise, and the mouth of the franchise.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I can't believe George Mikan's number is not retired by the Lakers....he was their first great player and force behind more of their championships than just about any other player outside of Magic.

As for the Spurs criteria:

Silas - Career Spur, first face of the franchise.
    Gervin - Franchise, one of the NBA's greatest.
    Moore - Mainly...tragic figure, career Spur.
    Drob - Franchise, one of NBA's greatest. One of cities greatest.
    Elliott - Career Spur, inspirational figure.
    AJ - Career Spur who wasn't really a career Spur, Inspirational who is not that inspiriational at times. Made the right friends...with the heart of the franchise, the head of the franchise, and the mouth of the franchise.
    They only retired the jersey of players that actually played in LA. Kind of petty though, I would have no problem with his number being retired.

Thread Information