Here's why last nights UTSA debacle was no shock. Coaches make decisions—who to start, what kind of D to play, whether to use weapons or ignore them, whether to learn from mistakes. Suspect areas--

Defense—still playing insane deny in the strap D off the ball, instead of passing lane, sagging, helping D. Why get in the strap of a player 2 passes away??? Help out, and for the love of Pete, tell your PG to stay in front of his man!

While PG has tons of steals and sometimes help his team, his overplaying D also gives up easy penetration and backdoors, which leads to dumb fouls/slacker D while chasing the ball down lane (that’s how he fouled out against Tx St. and a season long pattern), exposing his bigs. When he loses his assignment, his hands are in his pockets, no rotation to help the big who's having to cover his man. This happened with annoying regularity last night.

Offense--While DG is a decent PG, he is still a freshman and has a lot to learn to be a floor general. Lately when a guy is on fire, he hesitates to pass, throws up 1 on 5 junk, turnover, etc. (1 for 15??) Team loses chance to create serious separation. None of the recent wins should have been as close as they were. He nearly gave the TX St. game away w/ missed FT and TO at end of regulation and fouled out in OT leaving his team mates to drain 10/10 FT which they thankfully did. He’s a poor 3 pt shooter who would do well to find the open man/hot hand, and run the offense, such as it is. Last night, the second highest % 3 pt shooter in the SC (playing for UTSA) hits 4 for 4 threes in first half (should have had more but no pass from PG.) It took nearly 15 minutes in the second half to get him another shot——how do you not get him the ball? He had more buckets off the bench in the first half than the whole team made in the second half—go figure.

Contrary to UTSA press clippings, it's a team game, and a true test of PG is whether you make your team mates better. It will be interesting to see if there are transfers after this year. I predict several, while Gabbidon is still a question mark. And Gibson may want to play at a serious D1 (ranked higher than 280), so I wouldn't rule that out either. But he'd give up being the favored son, would have to play team D and team O, so why should he?

Real test comes March 3 and March 8

That's the only reason why he's not playing for a bigger conference school, he can't shoot the three. I don't think he will transfer, remember the BT era is just getting started.
    I'm not too woried about Gabbidon ever playing again since Ludwick may be better than Gabbidon by next year, and we have recuirted a solid SF in Leslie Jackson.

another guy on here recently told me sei paye is gibsons great friend from basketball. sei paye just transfered here and i doubt gibson would leave when i am sure he is the reason sei paye came here. this is really thompsons first year of recruits due to late hire 2 years ago. i think gibson is learning each game and recurits like goutsa said are improving.

Thread Information