Ok my standard qualifier…boxing was the first sport I followed and I basically gave up on the sport due to its pathetic inability to govern itself. While I passionately follow MMA part of me really hopes boxing gets it back together so I can follow both…but I can't seem them ever doing that.
What boxing needs is a polarizing central figure/organization like Dana White and the UFC to put this on track. Dana has a lot of flaws but he is doing this thing right.
Don King could have been that but he is beyond a s bag and ruined boxing. It is possible Golden Boy Productions could do this but I don't know... in fact I doubt it.
Here is how to save boxing…
I honestly don't think it would be too hard as long as you have the money and conviction to stay the course
You have one organization who simply signs the best 100 best or fighters that are under 25 that nobody knows about across all weight classes
Change the weight classes (in this case eliminate half of them)
Have them fight each other on a regular basis all the while cutting the garbage and re-sign the contracts of the quality fighters and as they grow into stars so does your organization
Keep on signing new guys to cheap contracts and force them to prove themselves
Do the best you can to put on legit fights and protect nobody (sometimes you have to protect a fighter to make money but sooner than later you must risk them)
Get rid of that f-cking body armor they wear around their groin
Smaller gloves
No standing 10 counts so these guys can extend their career and have a brain
So…radical but massive changes need to happen. Stop being MLB by refusing to makes changes. This would take time but if one league did this they would gain attention and 5 or so years down the road would have something massive on your hands.
That is basically what the UFC did.
Flame my post away!!!