Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just went to put gas in my car and it was 10 cents more a gallon than when I went by the station this morning! How can they raise it 10 cents in one day?

This is when I get so angry at the enviro-wackos who won't let us drill anywhere for oil and won't let us build any more refineries so that we can handle the increased demands!! IDIOTS!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is when I get so angry at the enviro-wackos who won't let us drill anywhere for oil and won't let us build any more refineries so that we can handle the increased demands!! IDIOTS!!!!
    We can drill all the domestices wells we want and still not curtail our thirst for Middle East and Venazuelan oil. We simply do not have reserves big enough to make a dent on demand. This is where I believe we are failing. We are not conserving, we are wasting fuel on even bigger gas-guzzling vehicles, we haven't explored alternative energies like hydrogen nor funded the R and D needed to improve the efficency of fuel cells.

I believe this country needs a new Philadelphia experiment, except that intead of exploring nuclear research, we need to come up with a new national energy strategy that explores alternative forms of energy, and makes the machinery that keeps our economy running more energy efficient - including our automobiles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well,

This post is what happens when uninformed idiots decide to rant on gas prices.

The only thing stoping oil companies like Valero from building more refineries is the cost.

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want a nuclear truck!

Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fill up on monday nights. i agree that high gas prices suck though, cuz my 3.1 is sucking it down like there's no tomorrow....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tired of it all? Here's your alternative.

Fantasy Football Guru Guru of Nothing's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just went to put gas in my car and it was 10 cents more a gallon than when I went by the station this morning! How can they raise it 10 cents in one day?

Look! Ducks got a spellchecker.

Raise My McFlagg CommanderMcBragg's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally I'd rather save the environment than drill everywhere for oil to satisfy your gas guzzling vehicle. As long as we keep adding to the problem by continuing to drive SUV's and other vehicles that get 15 MPG, like that ridiculous Hummer, we will continue to see gas prices rise.
    So unless you change your ways just fill up and shut up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I drive a truck. V8 18/21 mpg.

I work 3.5 miles from my home.

Joe Blow Drives a Honda Civic. V4 28/32 mpg

He works 16 miles from home.

Who is doing what for the enviroment?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't drive a SUV - I have a 3-year old Malibu. I don't take unnecessary trips and I try to combine as many errands into one trip as I can. I do live further from my job than I would like, but I've had my house on the market for almost a year so that I can move closer to my job. Also, since I both live and work outside 1604, VIA doesn't do me a bit of good!

So stop making assumptions about me!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't drive a SUV - I have a 3-year old Malibu. I don't take unnecessary trips and I try to combine as many errands into one trip as I can. I do live further from my job than I would like, but I've had my house on the market for almost a year so that I can move closer to my job. Also, since I both live and work outside 1604, VIA doesn't do me a bit of good!

I wasn't talking about you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I drive a truck. V8 18/21 mpg.

I work 3.5 miles from my home.

Joe Blow Drives a Honda Civic. V4 28/32 mpg

He works 16 miles from home.

Who is doing what for the enviroment?
    Who really cares? I thought/hope/wish/believe that this is still a free
    country. It gets a little tiresome for others who do not like someone's
    car that they drive to forever put them down. Dammit, they wouldn't
    build them if people didn't buy them. Those that want to drive a rinkie
    dink car do so and leave us that drive the BIG cars alone. Better idea,
    go to Japan or Europe and live, they got all kinds of little bitty cars that
    they drive and all with no smog devices on them, well they are going to
    start putting them on now, but just starting. They talk a good game, but
    that is all they do. Hey and you can pay 5-6 dollars a gallon for gas, isn't
    that just peachy creamy........

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry User - I wasn't referring to your post, I was referring to Commander McBragg's. He's the one who told me to either change my ways or just fill up my SUV and shut up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Understood. I was just pointing out how it's more than just the vehicle you drive that should be the focus, it's the at ude. I don't care what other people drive. I would pay for an option package for my truck if it would give me better milage for a semi-reasonable price. That option doesn't exist yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those of you with the broken record syndrome. While you were sleeping, the "big bad SUV" you mention is getting much more mileage now. My Tahoe gets 20mpg in town and 23 mpg on the road. Go ahead and drag your asses on the ground with those "little" cars if you desire. At least you should get updated on the subject. What it amounts to in a lot of cases is those that complain can not afford them and resort to jealousy as a tactic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you live in Texas, then enviro-whackos have nothing to do with your problem. The Gulf Coast has plenty of refining capacity. And untapped reserves in the U.S. would hardly make a dent in relieving price es.

Right-wing propagandists find it useful to make you believe that the domestic left is the cause of your problem, even though nothing could be further from the truth. All that would happen with increased drilling in the U.S. is that domestic oil exploration businesses would reap a windfall, given the sustained higher oil prices. You would get no relief.

Your problem is that China and India have rapidly growing economies, and there is just no way that oil production worldwide can keep up with their economic growth.

Our choices include:
    1) Cope with the rising cost of energy as best we can
    2) Invest heavily in energy conservation and in alternative energies, knowing that skyrocketing oil costs will soon render them economical
    3) Conquer the major oil-producing countries of the world, take control of their reserves, and subsidize the U.S. consumer while stiffing the rest of the world
    4) Kill off a few hundred million Chinese and Indians to reduce demand

#1 is more or less what we are doing now. Higher energy costs are a drag on the U.S. economy, but we are seeing economic growth nonetheless. #2 is probably a good idea, but it is still unlikely to allow us to enjoy the cheap energy we have had for most of the past century or so. #3 involves decades of war against the other world powers, and likely would incur far greater expense than #1 or #2, not even counting the questionable moral value of killing hundreds of thousands of people just so you can fill up a little more cheaply.* #4 probably involves nuclear war -- and a likely retaliatory strike against the U.S. population would further reduce oil demand. And besides, anyone who seriously would consider #4 an option is a Hitler/Stalin figure.

*No, I don't believe that's why we're in Iraq.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The dude with the civic makes a better enviromental impact, unless the only place you drive is work.

And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, this is only aimed at you if you do the following.

People who drive around in SUVs with no need are selfish asses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're wrong Manny.

More milage, means more gas of course but there are other considerations.

More maintenance is required of the smaller vehicle because of the higher milage. (Oil from oil changes, filters, brakes, air filters, and other consumables.

The smaller vehicle will do more damage to roads since it travel farther on them.

Traffic jams which cause even greater pollution and wear on roads increase because of longer commute.

If a car travels 32 miles round trip a day and I travel 7 miles round trip what milage difference are we talking about here?

32 x 5 = 160 miles per week. Lets say there is 49 work weeks in a year.

That gives us 160 x 49 = 7840 miles per year.

For the truck it would be:

7 x 5 = 35 miles per week. 35 x 49 = 1715 miles per year

7840 - 1715 = 6125 miles difference per year.

The 2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX 4-Spd AT gets a combined milage of 34 mpg. Let's say 36 since most of the trip should be on a highway.

6125 / 36 = 170 gallons of gas per year.

Now is that a waste for the person driving the Civic? Not if they feel it's justified. Is it a waste to take a larger vehicle a shorter distance? Not if the owner feels it's justified.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're wrong Manny.
    He's about 95% wrong.

More milage, means more gas of course but there are other considerations.
    The numbers to and from work aren't the most salient ones. It's total mileage per year... oh, but make sure to weight city miles heavier than highway miles. The environmental impact of a mile traveled at 70 mph on a freeway is considerably less than the impact of a mile traveled at 35 mph on surface streets with stoplights.

More maintenance is required of the smaller vehicle because of the higher milage. (Oil from oil changes, filters, brakes, air filters, and other consumables.
    True.

The smaller vehicle will do more damage to roads since it travel farther on them.
    Oh, I seriously doubt that. Damage to the road increases linearly by miles traveled, but to the fourth power by vehicle weight. So a Ford Expedition driven 7 miles a day causes about five times as much road wear as a Honda Civic driven 32 miles a day.

Traffic jams which cause even greater pollution and wear on roads increase because of longer commute.
    True.

(gas usage calculations snipped)

Now is that a waste for the person driving the Civic? Not if they feel it's justified. Is it a waste to take a larger vehicle a shorter distance? Not if the owner feels it's justified.
    You're mostly right.

Who determines need? You? Now if you have somebody who never uses the cargo capacity, and never hauls people around, and just wants a big vehicle to sit up high by one's lonesome and intimidate other traffic over long distances, then I agree that person is somewhat of a sociopath. Social pressure is probably more appropriate in this case than any sort of state intervention, IMO. And if somebody is using a vehicle sparingly, then driving an SUV is certainly no more socially irresponsible than driving an expensive sports car.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quote:

Oh, I seriously doubt that. Damage to the road increases linearly by miles traveled, but to the fourth power by vehicle weight. So a Ford Expedition driven 7 miles a day causes about five times as much road wear as a Honda Civic driven 32 miles a day.

You are partially right about this. Many larger vehicles have larger tires which allow for a greater surface area which contacts the road. For instance, the tires on my truck allow for such a greater amount of surface area that they actually have a lower PSI value than the stock tires for the Civic given in the example. This may not be an across the board statistic, but it is a factor to consider.

One thing I just thought about after writing that just poped into my head. Have you ever been driving on the highway, or even in a bumpy/hilly road and noticed those scratches in the pavement? You know the ones where some body bottomed out their transfer case or something? What percentage of those scratches are caused by SUVs and light trucks? I would just guess and say they were mostly made by cars and other lower to the ground vehicles. That's just my guess now. :p

I guess Manny can talk all the he wants. His vehicle gets a million miles to the gallon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess Manny can talk all the he wants because he actually learned how to read.

unless the only place you drive is work

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're saying wasting gas needlessly because you drive a car is ok? Just don't do it in a SUV or truck? None of my numbers related to other driving or milage so I never stated anything to the contrary. But with the extra gallons of gas you save from living closer to work you can do a lot of other driving around.

Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yous gotta problem with ma car manny?

needs a margarita
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would just guess and say they were mostly made by cars and other lower to the ground vehicles. That's just my guess now.
    Sheyit...my car doesn't have the stock suspension on it so it was dropped about 1-1/2 inches. I'm sure I shaved another inch off my front spoiler just from pulling out of Stevenson M.S.'s driveway.

Eh...I wouldn't complain about the gas prices in Texas. We pay less for super (with higher octane, even) than California pays for regular unleaded.

Thread Information