Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    40 million dollars.

I'm not even going to bother to list the ways that this money would be much better spent.

Would anyone on here actually like to defend the spending of this money in an idiotic and unnessecary manner?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man every one costs a lot

light some up and relaxx

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope, that's a lot of money. I guess the caterers could justify it.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's an unnecessarily extravagant and wasteful use of money, but it's certainly not the first Inaugural bash that has been such.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    out of curiosity, whose inauguration costs were the highest?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I couldn't tell you, but I would hope any statistics on the subject would take economic factors of the time into consideration.

You'd probably have to go back a long time to find one that wasn't overpriced.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bet Washington's was the cheapest!

It's 11:46...and OU STILL sucks!!!!! jalbre6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm... Clinton's was $30 million on 13 balls in '92 (w/ Aretha) and $35 million in '96 (w/ Elton John). W's first go round was also in the neighborhood of $35 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a waste of money, but aren't all Inaguartions for in bant presidents?

It's not tax money, so let them throw their party.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Private dollars...providing commerce to Washington D.C. businesses and others, around the country.

Big whoop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Private dollars...providing commerce
    It's private companies using money to buy access to politicians who's cons uents expect to be protected from these same company excesses. Every Inaugural, government ethics is thrown out the window and private citizens are supposed to stand up and celebrate democracy as their interest get rail-roaded yet again by big money.

One other thing is for certain, if W planned to be more of a uniter in his second term than the divider he has been in his first, this is a lousy way to start after such a divisive Presidential election.

Who is this guy, again? travis2's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Waahh Wahhh ING Waahh

Private money. They can do what they want with it. And there isn't a ING thing you, Manny, or you, Dan, can do about it. This is still a FREE country, and as much as you two would like to see the sickle and hammer waving again, it ain't gonna happen.

Bunch of pussies.

Just shut the up. You want a dictatorship, move to Cuba or North Korea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's private companies using money to buy access to politicians who's cons uents expect to be protected from these same company excesses. Every Inaugural, government ethics is thrown out the window and private citizens are supposed to stand up and celebrate democracy as their interest get rail-roaded yet again by big money.

One other thing is for certain, if W planned to be more of a uniter in his second term than the divider he has been in his first, this is a lousy way to start after such a divisive Presidential election.
    And of course you would have posted the same thing if this had been Kerry's inauguration. RIGHT????? in hypocrit!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but Clinton got his money from private donations limited to $100.
    But not Dubya, he got big cash deposits upwards of $250K from special interest groups. Big difference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be willing to bet that the increase in security is a big part of that cost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Inaugural price tag in line with history

By Joseph Curl
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Reuters news agency this week headlined a story, "Critics Say Bush Inaugural Too Lavish for Wartime," then quoted one "critic," Rep. Anthony Weiner, New York Democrat, who complained that the estimated $40 million for the Bush-Cheney inauguration is extravagant.
    The Associated Press moved a story that asked, "With that kind of money, what could you buy?" The answer, the wire service said: "200 armored Humvees ... vaccinations and preventive health care for 22 million children ... and a down payment on the nation's deficit."

But a review of the cost for past inaugurations shows Mr. Bush's will cost less than President Clinton's second inauguration in 1997, which cost about $42 million. When the cost is adjusted for inflation, Mr. Clinton's second-term celebration exceeds Mr. Bush's by about 25 percent.
    According to the Consumer Price Index, $42 million in 1997 is the equivalent of $49.5 in 2004.
    The significant majority of funding for this year's festivities, including nine officials balls, are from private donations and tickets for events held by the Presidential Inaugural Committee, a similar setup to fund raising Mr. Clinton used to underwrite his inauguration. Mr. Clinton had a record 12 balls in 1997.
    A Jan. 20, 1997, story by USA Today estimated about $12.7 million of Mr. Clinton's inauguration was financed by U.S. taxpayers. Initial estimates indicate the District will foot about $17 million in security costs this year.
    "Every inaugural, there's a really good reason given why you should spend whatever donors are sending in on something else," Rich Galen, a veteran Republican activist, told the Associated Press, saying many of the complaints come from the losers of the election.
    Mr. Weiner and Rep. Jim McDermott, Washington Democrat, in a letter to President Bush said that a celebration during the war on terror is inappropriate and the money could be better spent, saying the funds could be used pay for 690 Humvees and a $290 bonus for each soldier serving in Iraq.
    "Precedent suggests that inaugural festivities should be muted — if not canceled — in wartime," said the letter, which cited President Roosevelt's scaled back inauguration in 1945 that had a menu of cold chicken salad and pound cake.
    Tracey Schmitt, a spokeswoman for the Presidential Inaugural Committee, and White House officials say the inauguration is an American tradition that transcends partisan politics and is a symbol to the world.
    President Johnson didn't eschew pageantry in 1965, racking up a $1.6 million bill for inaugural festivities despite the Vietnam War, historian Robert Dallek told Reuters.
    In 1997, there was grumbling that the inauguration cost too much. But Clinton spokesman Barry Toiv said at the time, "It's really a symbol to the world and has been for over 200 years, and it's worth celebrating."
    This year, the inaugural committee has taken a similar tact, dubbing the events "Celebrating Freedom, Honoring Service."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but Clinton got his money from private donations limited to $100.
    But not Dubya, he got big cash deposits upwards of $250K from special interest groups. Big difference.
    Do I detect a tone of jealously there Johnny boy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do I detect a tone of jealously there Johnny boy?
    No Hooker boy, a tone of pride that Clinton got his money from the common folk not the rich folk. Did you hear that!? Huh? Did you!?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Common folk like Monica Lewinsky? What did she get for her 100?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    clinton got serviced by the common folk too. you are a jaded mother er if you believe that one side or the other gives a damn about you. take care of your own damn self and all will be well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No Hooker boy, a tone of pride that Clinton got his money from the common folk not the rich folk. Did you hear that!? Huh? Did you!?
    Settle down and take your Ridlan Johnny before you blow a gasket!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Common folk like Monica Lewinsky? What did she get for her 100?
    Ex was right, conservatives still do think Monica jokes are funny.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be willing to bet that the increase in security is a big part of that cost.
    Wrong. The city of Washington D.C. is expected to pick up the extra security costs from its Homeland Security money and is not a part of the $40 million dollar undercount (probably closer to $50 million).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong. The city of Washington D.C. is expected to pick up the extra security costs from its Homeland Security money and is not a part of the $40 million dollar undercount (probably closer to $50 million).
    Losing the election just SUCKS for you doesn't it Dan?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't Watch The Anointing - Watch CSPAN2 Coverage of Protestors

Thread Information