Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...upreview080502

Three players, at three different stages of their careers, come together in Madrid this weekend, all with the NBA looming large on their horizons.

The question, in the cases of Tiago Splitter, David Andersen and Omri Casspi is what effect will this weekend's Euroleague Final Four have on their careers on the other side of the Atlantic?

The culmination of the European season arrives at the Community of Madrid Sports Palace, starting Friday, when Splitter's Spanish team Tau Ceramica take on favorites CSKA Moscow, featuring Andersen, in the second semifinal.

Before that, Casspi's Maccabi Tel Aviv and Italy's Montepaschi Siena face off for the right to play in Sunday's final and, as is by now customary, every NBA team will have one, and possibly up to half a dozen, personnel on hand to witness the highest level of club basketball outside North America.

This is not an occasion for weak hearts. Reputations, careers even, have been made or lost at Final Fours where the fervent, passionate, soccer-style crowds test even the strongest nerves.

Last season, some experts believed Splitter looked overwhelmed as Tau lost to hosts Panathinaikos in the semifinal yet, of the "NBA three" in action this weekend, his appears the most clear-cut future.

The San Antonio Spurs still took Splitter 28th in last year's draft, a decision that appears to have been more than justified by his form in helping Tau return to a fourth consecutive Final Four this weekend.

Splitter, as he told espn.com before the Euroleague season even started, fully intends to be with Spurs in camp later this year and no evidence from either Tau, Texas or Tiago himself has emerged to contradict that analysis.

"The NBA is something I have in my mind," says Splitter. "I want to finish the season here then we will see better. But, for sure, it would be the best way to go over to the NBA, winning the Euroleague, proving you are a great player and earning the respect of the NBA."

Splitter's coach, the highly-regarded Croatian Neven Spahija is, coincidentally, a friend of Spurs' G.M. RC Buford, not that he is volunteering a detailed scouting analysis at this point.

"It will be a very interesting conversation with R.C.," laughs Spahija. "When anything bad happens with players I recommend, it's my fault; whenever the players are good, it is because R.C. is a great scout!"

"But Tiago has had his best ever season and I really appreciate the job he has done for us. He has taken the next step in his career but is he ready for the NBA? It is difficult to say, you never know how players will adjust."

Whatever the outcome with Splitter, however, the Spurs have an embarrassment of Euro riches waiting in the wings, along with the 6'11", 23-year-old forward-center from Brazil.

Frenchman Ian Mahimni is an almost identical build to Splitter (same height, six pounds lighter at 230) and coming off an exceptional year in the NBA Development League with the Austin Toros, having averaged 17.1 points and 8.2 rebounds a game.

Iowa Energy coach Nick Nurse, who has has spent much of his career in Europe and is currently an assistant with the GB national team has seen Mahimni ten times this season. "He's got all the talent in the world," says Nurse.

"He's extremely talented, athletic, shoots it facing up and he has some good fight in his game. At the end of the season he was banged up and wasn't 100 per cent but he was still right in there, battling.

"Of course, being ready for the NBA and being ready to make it onto the Spurs are two different things and he needs more experience and to get more physical. But he showed some flashes of sheer brilliance this season."

To further cloud the issue, 28-year-old Luthuanian Robertas Javtokas, having been buried deep on the bench at Panathinaikos last season, is coming off an exceptional season with Russian team Dynamo Moscow.

"Javtokas should have been in the NBA two years ago," says a European scout. "But he took the decision for his family to take the money at Panathinaikos and that held back his opportunities. Now, he's one of the better bigs available over here."

For the Spurs, therefore, never a club to shy away from international players, this summer could be a particularly interesting one.

"International guys all develop in different ways," says Buford. "We have seen that happen here at the Spurs with Manu (Ginobili), (Luis) Scola, (Gordan) Giricek and Tony (Parker). All came to the NBA by different routes.

"There is not a formula that is perfect, that works for every individual. But we like all three of these guys and we think they can all be productive players in the NBA."

The case of CSKA's 6'11" forward-center David Andersen is less clear cut. Drafted in the second round by the Atlanta Hawks six years ago, his talks with the NBA team have never progressed because of their unwillingness to match anywhere near the money the Australian-Dane has been able to command over nine years in Europe ... five in Italy and the last four in Moscow.

"Last year, David was coming off a major injury," says CSKA coach Ettore Messina of Andersen, 27, who suffered an appalling broken leg, dislocated ankle and ruptured ligaments that cost him most of the 2005-06 season.

"It was very difficult for him but this year he has moved back to the position he likes best [center] which is a position he interprets in a very personal way. He is a center who can shoot from outside, he has a lot of versatility, shooting from outside and posting up his man.

"This was probably his best season at CSKA. But he will be out of contract and, as for the NBA, why not, if he plays for a team that needs his special ability? He's not a 'muscle' player, he's more a finesse player who can spread the floor with his jump shot and can get points inside."

Says Andersen himself: "I haven't really made a decision (on the NBA). I'm pretty open to things at the moment. I'm exploring my options, my agent is talking to people but, like any player, you dream of playing at the highest level."

Casspi, at 19, is the youngest of the trio and, given his undrafted status, will be of most interest to NBA scouts in Madrid. Although limited to 11 minutes a game in Euroleague, his playing time increased after Zvi Sherf took over coaching duties in January and his 4.6 points and 23 rebounds a game were of higher quality than the basic numbers suggest.

Sources say that Casspi has let it be known that if the signs are he will be a first round pick, his name will remain in the 2008 draft. Some observers believe he is worth a lower first round pick and a strong showing this weekend could cement that view.

"I'm not thinking about it at all, tomorrow is the biggest game of my career," said Casspi. "But my contract is finished at the end of the season and everything is open. For now, I just don't think about it, I think about the next game."

The teenager, who turns 20 in June, was already on NBA radar after a strong showing on the World Select team that was outclassed by a strong US national junior team, featuring college stand-outs Michael Beasley, Kevin Love and O.J. Mayo at the Nike Hoop Summit in Memphis 13 months ago.

"Omri is a hard-nosed, no-nonsense type of player who could be an excellent role player in the NBA," says former Australian national teams coach Rob Beveridge who coached Casspi that week. "He can knock down the three and is good in the open court and in his finishing. But I think his biggest strength is his mental toughness and his desire to win."

In short, the very qualities which Casspi, Splitter, Andersen and all other Final Four combatants will need this weekend.

Ian Whittell covers basketball for The Times of London.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the forecasted demise of the Spurs keeps getting put on hold - Ian and Tiago will both be on the Spurs next year in at least some role and as for the Lithuanian - bring him over for a look if possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ian and Tiago both need to be apart of the rotation next season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Javtokas was out of the picture, I thought. Interesting. This next generation of players are coming soon. It might work out well. If we could only clone Timmy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't realize ESPN published good articles on international basketball like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully, attention like this will give Javtokas' rights some value on the trade market. He doesn't appear to be in the Spurs' plans at the moment.

Seems Casspi really wants to get out of Maccabi and play overseas next year.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the forecasted demise of the Spurs keeps getting put on hold - Ian and Tiago will both be on the Spurs next year in at least some role and as for the Lithuanian - bring him over for a look if possible.
    I don't think Javtokas would come without a guaranteed contract. And - while we do need some young(er) players - I can't see the team going with 3 rookie bigs on the roster next year.

The Duncan/Manu/Tony championship window won't be closed, and you're looking at Tim/Fab/Bonner/Ian already being under contract. If they bring Thomas back (at a reduced rate), that really only leaves room for Splitter (unless they can move Bonner).

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Yeah Spurs just reload and keep going. If these guys pan out which I think they will, you need to start looking at developing a great young pt guard as Ginobili and Parker age.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Javtokas would come without a guaranteed contract. And - while we do need some young(er) players - I can't see the team going with 3 rookie bigs on the roster next year.

The Duncan/Manu/Tony championship window won't be closed, and you're looking at Tim/Fab/Bonner/Ian already being under contract. If they bring Thomas back (at a reduced rate), that really only leaves room for Splitter (unless they can move Bonner).
    I don't see Thomas coming back, which is too bad, I'd rather have the young guys learning from Thomas than Fabs.

and Bonner needs to stay, he's not as bad as Pop is making him appear.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see Thomas coming back, which is too bad, I'd rather have the young guys learning from Thomas than Fabs.
    why is that?

whether everybody would agree with the move or not, i could definitely see the team offering him a 2/6 type deal. Being a role player who will play next year at 36, I don't think he'd nab much more on the open market.

"We'll do it this time" Bartleby's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Spurs just reload and keep going. If these guys pan out which I think they will, you need to start looking at developing a great young pt guard as Ginobili and Parker age.
    Manu, yes (as if he could ever be replaced), but Parker is still very young, even for a PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

and Bonner needs to stay, he's not as bad as Pop is making him appear.
    Kurt Thomas should come back. He's a perfect fit for the team and the team is perfect for him. I can see no other place in the NBA that provides playoff runs and starting opportunities.

Bonner is lousy. If he was unable to cut it this year, next year will be no different.

obligatory troll smasher Flux451's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kurt Thomas should come back. He's a perfect fit for the team and the team is perfect for him. I can see no other place in the NBA that provides playoff runs and starting opportunities.

Bonner is lousy. If he was unable to cut it this year, next year will be no different.

I agree Thomas willl come back. He is a great assest to the team. Like every year. Pop will reduce mins of older players in reg season.

Bonner isn't lousy, just streaky. He makes a lot of mental errors. I think they should trade him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree Thomas willl come back. He is a great assest to the team. Like every year. Pop will reduce mins of older players in reg season.

Bonner isn't lousy, just streaky. He makes a lot of mental errors. I think they should trade him.
    Thomas can and will be back. It appears he loves the Spurs and they definitely love him.

Bonner's value has diminished since he appears to have lost confidence in his shot. I'd rather they swap him out for someone like Eduardo Najera.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd rather they swap him out for someone like Eduardo Najera.
    ugh

the single handid choker for the Nuggets against the Spurs last year? No thank you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't imagine any team in their right mind would trade to get a $3 million flag waver. Bonner is stuck on the team next year. He's a non-issue; let's get back to the promise of Splitter.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bonner is a good value and no one else mentioned can spread the floor.

Back to the drawing board, haters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bonner is a good value and no one else mentioned can spread the floor.

Back to the drawing board, haters.

Why would Holt accept a buyout? Williams would have to take less money than hes owed!!! - Mr Body

Just a quick question for Bruno, where does Siena play? What country I should say.

Can't Start Threads Kill_Bill_Pana's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes Javtokas can play in NBA. There is many Europe players that can play in NBA. American fans just believe things which is not true about level of Europe now. But just because these player can play in NBA mean nothing. Javtokas is athletic ability is probable higher than Dwight Howard and he is probable taller than him also.

But Javtokas is also hard player to deal with. He have at ude issues as they say in NBA.

Siena is Italy team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As Tau's coach said, you never know how a player is going to adjust.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    avtokas is athletic ability is probable higher than Dwight Howard
    Uh, I highly highly doubt that.

He have at ude issues as they say in NBA.
    If true he will never play in the NBA, especially with the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting never have heard of them.

Quick note for anyone watching right now, you will notice one Alex Garcia playing for Maccabi. @ the color commentator "I think he should take out Batista, I do not like him, he is not a good player" WOW

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey is Nikola Vujcic related to Sasha ??????

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IIRC, Romain Sato plays for Siena.

Yep, there he is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes Javtokas can play in NBA. There is many Europe players that can play in NBA. American fans just believe things which is not true about level of Europe now. But just because these player can play in NBA mean nothing. Javtokas is athletic ability is probable higher than Dwight Howard and he is probable taller than him also.

But Javtokas is also hard player to deal with. He have at ude issues as they say in NBA.

Siena is Italy team.
    Are you sure you're not thinking of pre-motorcycle accident Javtokas? Even then, that's quite a stretch.

Thread Information