Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CHICAGO (AP)—Vinny Del Negro has been offered the Chicago Bulls head coaching job, according to a person within the league who is familiar with the situation.

The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because an announcement had not been made Monday.

An official announcement, which could come this week, would end a nearly two-month search that included courtships of Mike D’Antoni and Doug Collins.

Del Negro, the assistant general manager of the Phoenix Suns who has never been a head coach, would take over a team that went from 49 wins to 49 losses this past season and missed the playoffs after making the second round in 2007.

The Bulls have the first pick in the draft later this month.

ADVERTISEMENT

A sluggish start cost coach Scott Skiles his job in December, and interim coach Jim Boylan was fired April 17. Former Minnesota coach Dwane Casey and Sacramento assistant Chuck Person also recently interviewed.

Messages left for Del Negro and Bulls GM John Paxson were not immediately returned.

Del Negro, who played collegiately at N.C. State, was drafted in 1988 by Sacramento and also played for San Antonio, Milwaukee, Golden State and Phoenix, averaging 9.9 points in 771 NBA games. He also played in Italy.

The Bulls were poised to make an offer to D’Antoni in early May only to see him jump from the Phoenix Suns to the New York Knicks before hearing chairman Jerry Reinsdorf’s presentation.

Collins, who coached a young Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen in the late 1980s before the championship run, also entered the picture, embracing the idea of a second opportunity in Chicago after the Bulls won the draft lottery and a shot at Derrick Rose or Michael Beasley.

The sides publicly acknowledged interest and said there would be more talks once Collins’ broadcast duties with TNT were finished. That happened when the Los Angeles Lakers beat San Antonio, but a potential deal unraveled.

Collins told Reinsdorf to look elsewhere June 6.

“I called Jerry this afternoon and said, ‘Let’s move forward and make sure we stay the friends that we have been for 25 years,”’ Collins said at the time. “It had to be a home run, and both of us had a little angst over it. So we both agreed it wasn’t the best to keep going this way.”

The Bulls, too, need a change of direction after unraveling just as the season tipped off.

A first-round sweep of Miami—Chicago’s first series victory since the championship era—and a six-game loss to Detroit in the second round last year gave the Bulls high hopes that quickly crashed. The Kobe Bryant trade rumors and failed contract negotiations with Luol Deng and Ben Gordon—who turned down five-year extensions worth more than $50 million—left Chicago in a funk it could not shake.

The unselfishness and hard-nosed defense that defined recent teams was missing. Players bickered with each other and lashed out at coaches as the losses mounted, and some skipped practices and shootarounds.

Joakim Noah, last year’s first-round pick, lashed out at assistant Ron Adams in January and was initially suspended one game before teammates voted to make it two. Noah also clashed with Ben Wallace, who was traded to Cleveland.

And just last month Noah was arrested in Gainesville, Fla., for having an open container of alcohol and also was charged with marijuana possession.

Tyrus Thomas skipped practice, Chris Duhon missed a shootaround the day after he attended a Duke-North Carolina game, and Andres Nocioni had words with Boylan during a game. Duhon is an unrestricted free agent who probably won’t be back, and Paxson figures to make some moves whether the No. 1 pick is involved or not.

“Hardly a year goes by when you don’t do something. But first we have to decide what we want to do with the pick,” Reinsdorf said last week. “And then we listen to offers for it, and then we’ll think about what else we’re going to do.”

^AP Sports Writer Andrew Seligman contributed to this report.

One more time... xtremesteven33's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HAHA....DelNegro

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Del Negro, porter, mike brown
    how many former spur players are now in teams front office
    sam, pj, and kerr

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should have gone with Avery...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Avery is pretty much ours now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    like the spurs will pay him 4 million for 3 years to be an assistant coach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    aj's going to sit back for a year and collect a big check from cuban...he'll probably go after a job next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if there would be a way to get Tyrus Thomas out of Chicago?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Del Negro? I applaud the Bulls for thinking outside the box but how about someone who has at least been an assistant coach on some level. Del Negro in his playing days was known as the last one at practice and the first one to leave. He also wilted once Pop got on the sidelines.

I give him two years max.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he can show Hinrich how to go around the back and punch a dunk down in transition...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he can show Hinrich how to go around the back and punch a dunk down in transition...
    Or at least shoot toe-on-the-line two-pointers.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if there would be a way to get Tyrus Thomas out of Chicago?
    This is my only concern. Del Negro has a rift with Pop from back in the day so hopefully this won't cause any future issues if the Spurs become suitors for a T. Thomas trade. I think he would be outstanding on the Spurs!

I just can't believe they selected Del Negro of all people to be their coach. I can see it now... instead of running laps or whatever, he will make them study the art of how to brush their hair in perfect unison and practice running without messing it up.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GL to vinnie trade us the first pick!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Del Negro was, by far, the Spur that I hated the most. I wish him nothing but failure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the bulls are a funny organization.

they should be competing for the nba le on a yearly basis with the talent they have, but yet they are always in the lottery because they are so very beyond clueless. Its very hilarious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Del Negro? I applaud the Bulls for thinking outside the box but how about someone who has at least been an assistant coach on some level. Del Negro in his playing days was known as the last one at practice and the first one to leave. He also wilted once Pop got on the sidelines.

I give him two years max.

He was the italian Beno.

How about that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From D'Antoni to Del Negro. Is there any doubt that the Mafia runs Chicago?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Chicago front office had a brain they would hire away Tom Thibodeau....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best thing about Del Negro is that he's got a Hot Ass Wife!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whats next? Dwayne Schintzius

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't hallucinating? Vinnie did actually do that once, didn't he? It was such a surprise I fell of my chair!

I couldn't find the play I was thinking about, but here's Vinnie soaring in the Italian league (with totally lame music):

WTF are the Bulls thinking? That organisation lurches from bad decision to bad decision. They need a leader-type coach to get all those youngsters into line and inspire them to play for each other. Is Del Negro that guy? I doubt it.
    Last edited by RuffnReadyOzStyle; 06-10-2008 at 05:28 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Paxon is a complete and total asshat.

Seriously...I can't believe this guy has a job as a GM. He's so freaking stupid.

How can someone so incredibly stupid be allowed to GM an NBA Team?

Lousy hiring.

And Vinny has squat knowledge of the Spurs "system".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....,1239418.story

Del Negro is considering hiring former Spurs, Sonics, Knicks and Pacers coach Bob Hill as his lead assistant, sources said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or at least shoot toe-on-the-line two-pointers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Paxon is a complete and total asshat.
    Yeah, I think he's quietly the worst GM in the NBA. He's had chances at nearly every big name player and he's never done anything other than add more and more small forwards and undersized bigs to his team.

When the Spurs were shopping Scola, Paxson should have been all over that. Scola was the exact piece the Bulls were missing last year. Add Scola (for likely something cheap) and the Bulls become a playoff team.

Thread Information