Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real food being affordable isn't the problem.
    Yes it is. Healthy food is drastically more expensive than preservative-laden long shelf life low-nutrient human feed that most people eat every day.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes it is. Healthy food is drastically more expensive than preservative-laden long shelf life low-nutrient human feed that most people eat every day.
    Rice and beans are not expensive. There is plenty of cheap, healthy food out there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree, especially if you purchase healthy food the right way. It will obviously be more expensive if you shop at Whole Foods. However, if you subsitute carrots, banannas, broccoli, zuchini squash, snap peas for chips, crackers, cookies and other preservative-filled food, you will not see a difference in your grocery bill.

I purchase one big bag of carrots for $3.00 and keep it at my office for snacking and filler food at lunch. I used to purchase chips and other snack foods at Costco every two weeks for about $20.00.

You can buy healthy cereal for a slighly higher cost than sugar cereal or you can eat oatmeal which is even cheaper.

I started saving serious money when I stopped eating out for lunch every day and started bringing my lunch. I stopped eating breakfast tacos or bagels on the way to the office and subs uted it for a bananna and egg whites.

But probably the most important thing is that I gave up soda and now drink free water. I don't waste money on orange juice or juice of any kind. I'll eat the fruit and drink water.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for you. But should not someone step in if parents allow their children to eat out every day? Certainly you would agree that someone should regulate, and hopefully do a better job of ensuring that people no longer eat pink slime.

There is a role for government when it comes to food. And there is going to continue to be a need for government to get involved if the trends in obesity continue to skyrocket. Telling people they are fat and lazy doesn't work.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO (am I being too subtle?)

Yes, let the FDA keep ensuring that food is safe. It is NOT the govt's job to tell me my kids can't have a ing cheeseburger.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, but it's also not their job to be feeding them crap like french fries, chips, and sodas every day at school.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes, let the FDA keep ensuring that food is safe. It is NOT the govt's job to tell me my kids can't have a ing cheeseburger.
    the problem does not arise when you feed your child one cheeseburger. The problem would not be present if you feed your child one cheeseburger a week. However, the problem does arise, and it is a very real problem, when parents feed their children cheeseburgers, french fries and soda every day.

Then the issue is no longer a question of your right as a parent. Now this is abuse, you are physically hurting your child. You are setting your child up for emotional damages as well from self-confidence issues to bullying at school for weight issues. Certainly a child has rights too. Or do children's rights only exist when they are unborn fetuses?

I would contend that this could justifiably be labled as cruel and unusual punishment for parents to force children to eat like this. Furthermore, this all effects me directly. My health insurance costs skyrocket when we have to provide 50% of the country with heath care for preventable diseases.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

No one wants the government to tell you your kids can't have a cheeseburger.

I get that people think regulations are bad and evil, and that there is a tremendous amount of political motivation to maintain that position, but I don't get the argument that it is somehow bad or evil to ensure that school lunches are healthy and that food is made of food.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "let the FDA keep ensuring that food is safe."

The Best, Most Disgusting Reporting on Food Safety

http://www.propublica.org/article/th...on-food-safety

And since Round-up has failed on GMO crops + weeds, FDA/USDA ready to permit Agent Orange component on US crops

The insane are running the asylum

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the problem does not arise when you feed your child one cheeseburger. The problem would not be present if you feed your child one cheeseburger a week. However, the problem does arise, and it is a very real problem, when parents feed their children cheeseburgers, french fries and soda every day.

Then the issue is no longer a question of your right as a parent. Now this is abuse, you are physically hurting your child. You are setting your child up for emotional damages as well from self-confidence issues to bullying at school for weight issues. Certainly a child has rights too. Or do children's rights only exist when they are unborn fetuses?

I would contend that this could justifiably be labled as cruel and unusual punishment for parents to force children to eat like this. Furthermore, this all effects me directly. My health insurance costs skyrocket when we have to provide 50% of the country with heath care for preventable diseases.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you that this is a real concern, but what do you want the government to do about it? Once you get past school lunches, what else is there? Do we start taking fat kids away from fat parents and putting them into foster homes?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wholeheartedly agree with you that this is a real concern, but what do you want the government to do about it? Once you get past school lunches, what else is there? Do we start taking fat kids away from fat parents and putting them into foster homes?
    fat swap tv show!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can be creative about this. IE: require obese children to conduct a blood/weight test every 6 months or so and if there's no improvement, fine the parents. If they don't show up for the test, fine them. Make consecutive fines scale up the penalty amount.

Once you touch their pockets, they'll get the message. Can't pay? Spend the night in jail. You think this is too tough? Having diabetes when you're 13 is tough.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are right. All I can do is and complain about the problem. I have no real solution.

Perhaps criminalizing obesity? Misdomenor or something to that effect. Texas does this if your child misses school. Perhaps we can pass a weight law that if your child reaches a certain unhealthy weight you get fined. You can draft exceptions that would exempt certain individuals with conditions.

They could also implement taxes on soda and other extremely unhealthy foods. (i.e. fast food tax). We do it with tabaco and alcohol.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can be creative about this. IE: require obese children to conduct a blood/weight test every 6 months or so and if there's no improvement, fine the parents. If they don't show up for the test, fine them. Make consecutive fines scale up the penalty amount.

Once you touch their pockets, they'll get the message. Can't pay? Spend the night in jail. You think this is too tough? Having diabetes when you're 13 is tough.
    I agree. Extreme problems sometimes call for extreme measures. I wish it didn't come to that but my heart does break when I see young kids the same age but three times the width of my son struggling to play on a playground.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real food being affordable isn't the problem. The unwillingness of Americans to sacrifice couch/TV time to exercise and cook for themselves is.
    Good healthy food is not affordable for many people.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I am surprised people are so hungry all the time, honestly. Everyone around me, every family member, every friend, every coworker, mother ers all eat 3 meals a day with all sorts of in between.

People, in my uneducated opinion, are just plain addicted to eating.

Maybe back in the early 20th century when everyone worked 60 hours on their feet everyday except Sundays, eating three meals a day made sense. These days, everyone has a desk job and works 60hrs a week, but still eat like a person who does physical labor everyday.

Again, I dont pay attention to health and fitness, so I am admittedly ignorant on the subject. But people around me, everywhere, make me sick watching them eat all the ing time. Always hungry, always want to eat.

I eat once, sometimes twice a day. A big healthy lunch and a very light dinner. Thats it. Way less than 2000 calories that I guarantee.

I dont know, just putting it out there. I am sure the phys ed teachers will jump all over this post and tell me how my diet sucks and bla bla bla.

My remedy for fat-asses? Stop eating all the god damn time. You shouldnt be that hungry all the time. You dont "do" . You barely move all day, listening to you breathing through your nose while eating makes me ill. Fat people seem to think walking from one end of the house to the other, bending over a few times and the back and forth between the parking lots is "exercise".

Newsflash: No it isnt. Maybe for a paraplegic it is, but not you with two working legs. At least, it shouldnt be. If you lose your breath walking up stairs and you dont have a long medical history of asthma, youre too god damned fat. Stop eating (so much) and start moving a uva lot more. More fruit and vegetables, remove chips, cookies, sweets and sugar cereal from your diet.

I really dont see the issue here.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wow, that's extreme. Count me out of advocating for that. Sounds like a Wild Cobra Libertarian utopia tbh.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    People, in my uneducated opinion, are just plain addicted to eating.
    A lot of the food that we eat is loaded with chemicals that inspire physical addiction.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    crossfit and paleo my nikkas.
    Never thought of it before, but I can see how digging up fossils could be a decent workout.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, that's extreme. Count me out of advocating for that. Sounds like a Wild Cobra Libertarian utopia tbh.
    Assuming some vestige of the health care bill comes into play you are going to see it more and more used as a risk rating for health insurers. If you want to be a disgusting fat body then fine but your health coverage premium is going to go up.

Thats really the only reason why its even a big deal: health care costs.

Some people like fatties.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of the food that we eat is loaded with chemicals that inspire physical addiction.
    Food is a physical addiction. You have physical withdrawals when you lack anything from vitamin B to protein. There is a distinction between something that helps for example vitamin C to be absorbed into the brain versus say nicotine.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Real food being affordable isn't the problem. The unwillingness of Americans to sacrifice couch/TV time to exercise and cook for themselves is.
    False, be prepared for more record inflation as we keep printing more and more invisible money to keep our economy afloat. There is also a huge pending food crisis coming because of population and demand.

Did you know that since 2008 the Federal Reserve has tripled the amount of printed currency on the market? Our dollar has lost half its value in a 10 or 12 year span with more of the same coming.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rice and beans are not expensive. There is plenty of cheap, healthy food out there.
    Oranges are $1 for one where I live. Many people living paycheck to paycheck just cannot buy fresh fruits and vegetables. I don't buy oranges at $1 for 1.
    I live paycheck to paycheck like many people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I kind of agree to a point. Next time you are at the store start pricing things by the pound. Carbs and fats win hands down for most things.

Biology and the way our brains are hardwired doesn't help either.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Americans have too much processed junk in their foods. The big buisness of making money for the food industy is more important than keeping the fat causing crap out of the American diet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    False, be prepared for more record inflation as we keep printing more and more invisible money to keep our economy afloat. There is also a huge pending food crisis coming because of population and demand.

Did you know that since 2008 the Federal Reserve has tripled the amount of printed currency on the market? Our dollar has lost half its value in a 10 or 12 year span with more of the same coming.
    There will be no "record inflation".

Deflation is more likely, given world economic conditions.

Thread Information