Page 279 of 344 FirstFirst ... 179229269275276277278279280281282283289329 ... LastLast
Results 6,951 to 6,975 of 8600
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, I think everyone’s going to be happy no matter what the Spurs do because we have two picks in this draft.
    As long as they don't select Castle at 4, have Dillingham go before 8 and and are staring down the barrel of a theoretical (Salaun) or non (Holland, Williams) shooter at 8.

If they select Sheppard, Dillingham or even Buzelis at 4, it'd be easier to stomach some non shooter like Castle at 8.

But of all teams, this one can't walk away with zero offensive dynamism despite multiple top 8 picks . . . and the fact that there's proponents of it despite what we've seen for years here (and considering how the modern NBA is) is astonishing.
    Last edited by TD 21; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:15 PM.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Serious question: just saw that Dillingham is with Klutch - does that impact the Spurs consideration of him at all?
    ……yikes

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With a slow, elongated release, no less. He's not getting that shot off regularly in the NBA shooting that slowly. There's a reason he shot poorly from 3 this season tbh.
    I was just about to post that kind of description. It might work a little better against smaller players if he plays the point and will be OK for camp-out-at-the-arc attempts. It looks like something that could be improved without a complete overhaul anyway. I'd still prefer an already proven shooter.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on interviews, Ron Holland doesn't seem like Spurs personality to me tbh. I'd bet the Spurs are much more intrigued by Risacher and Buzelis in terms wing players.
    Why? Did he have a Scotty Hopson level of re ed interview or something? Still my favorite moment of draft combine history:

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, I think everyone’s going to be happy no matter what the Spurs do because we have two picks in this draft.
    I'm sure I'm just saying something that thousands of people have already said, but yeah, the more I've been watching this class, the more I feel like there's a lot of really good players, just not certain all-stars. The draft is "bad" since the top is not great, but the depth is normal. This is a draft where there's a lot of opportunities for arbitrage.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Impressive. More threes than Cody Williams took all season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan and Castle can't play together, the former probably is entrenched and Jones might be too.

The playoffs are more so about not having a liability defender (unless they offset it by being a superstar or star offensively) than having so called perimeter stoppers.

Despite the hype, bigs still and will always have by far the biggest impact defensively and the Spurs again lucked into having the best in the business.

I don't want a small guard as much as the next person, but talent is the biggest need and they're not in a position to pass it up.
    I agree with the assessment of Sochan and Castle's compatibility right now... but I sure hope that *if* Castle is the best prospect available that we don't pass on him because of Jeremy ing Sochan. Sochan isn't good enough to dictate our drafting decisions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as I know, Klutch and the Spurs are basically good. One thing -- Dillingham is kind of an influencer type who is into fashion and has a pretty good internet following. Not a bad thing, but with Sochan and Wembanyama being big personalities, it would be a new day.
    Hollywood (Park) Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as they don't select Castle at 4, have Dillingham go before 8 and and are staring down the barrel of a theoretical (Salaun) or non (Holland, Williams) shooter at 8.

If they select Sheppard, Dillingham or even Buzelis at 4, it'd be easier to stomach some non shooter like Castle at 8.

But of all teams, this one can't walk away with zero offensive dynamism despite multiple top 8 picks . . . and the fact that there's proponents of it despite what we've seen for years here (and considering how the modern NBA is) is astonishing.
    Sure, in those scenarios you laid out there will be a few who will be upset at the outcome. I kinda doubt it’s likely they don’t select a sure-thing on offense at 8th if they pick Castle at 4th though.

For the record, I was a massive Castle hater until recently. He moves like a future star on offense without currently producing tangibly. I think many here will come around on him after 40 games or so if he gets drafted. I don’t think we’re talking Sochan-level rawness here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is hollinger paid to post so many wrong assertions, approximations and omissions, re-writting history and... not checking the stats he's talking about?

- His pre-draft season Batum had a pretty difficult start before finshing better with his Le Mans team who went 2-12 in Euroleague.

- Batum there posted 8.5pt, 3.7rb, 2.7ass, 29% on 3.

- Risacher's stats in Eurocup this season: 13.1pt, 3.7rbd, 1.1 ass, 56% shooting on 3 . on a team who went to the finals.

-French league Batum pre-draft season: 12pt, 5rb, 3ass, 35% on 3 in 28mn) on a 23/7 team... (That's not exactly "dominating" the league as Hollinger suggests.)

- Risacher french league pre-draft season: 10pt, 3.8rb, 1 ass, 35% shooting on 3 in 24min on a 25-9 top 3 team.

Evan Fournier never played euro club compe ions. his pre-draft stats in the french league: 14pt, 3.2rbd, 2.2ass ,45%total shooting, 27% on 3 (he was stat padding to death) on 9-21 record, non playoff team (not exactly "dominating" either).

Numbers actually show fournier, and specially Batum and Risacher had very similar numbers. and I like how he "let Bilal on the side" (who had lesser numbers than Zach) while WAS is thrilled with Bilal's first season.

----

Another thing Hollinger is omitting is that back in the 2007-2008 season, there was only one american player in Batum's team. There's 4 (+ one canadian) in Risacher's one. Just like the NBA, the french league has changed a lot in 17 years, and making raw comparisons between two player from these two generations without taking this in consideration is honestly very basic reasoning.

Hollinger also didn't check Batum or Fournier scouting report from their pre-draft season. They weren't entirely touted as the players they became, but had similar quesiton marks and similar reamarks than Risacher's... Yeah, all in al, that's exactly the opposite of what Hollinger suggests.
    I frankly don't understand how we can try to evaluate players, predict their impact in a league, based on these kinds of statistics. The role these players had in their team was not the same. Some people think as if we were talking about college games.

Fournier was a scorer, he was precocious, and he chose to go to a (from memory) professional second division team (in any case, a bad team, in order to be able to express himself at best, a bit like Traoré in end of season this year with Saint Quentin).

Batum was known to be an all-around player like Boris Diaw: he was a winger who touched the ball a lot and who had the same role, with great success in the youth national team. He had a major role in a good team, but he was not a scorer. These numbers mean nothing. His impact was much greater in leadership: it was Victor's former coach last year, and national team coach, who gave him this role.

So, comparing Batum and Fournier numbers doesn't make much sense, they don't have the same roles, and they didn't play in teams of the same level.

Risacher is yet another profile. In a game, he never has the ball, he is the prototype 3 and D player. If the PG does not give him the ball or if he is not successful, he does not score and his major involvement will remain then his defense (Coulibaly bigger). How do you comapre that to... Fournier? He is not at all intended to be a versatile player like Batum-Diaw, let alone a scorer. And if this year his team is compe ive, it's a good surprise.

The stats are all the less relevant as in France, coaches are slow to get young people involved. Their playing time is often limited. There's some exception: Parker, Fournier, Batum, yes, and then, Risacher, yes, or last year Hifi in an average team, ending this year with a top European team, being the best scorer of the compe ion and ending in the league best five players. If you judge player throw numbers, Hifi is your second pick last year after Victor...

Franchises draft on talent and potential, not... on stats. What kind of scouting is that?^^ As much as I understand that we can look at the percentages, since that can be an indication for the future. But the points per game, the minutes, the immediate contribution of a young player compared to another in another team... I'll never understand that. European leagues are not college league ou Dleagues.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There are zero offensive dynamic players in this draft. Dillingham/ Risacher and Sheppard won't be high volume scorers.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I would agree if there were players who project to be elite offensive talents but there isn't any in this draft. Dillingham is the best and he will be possibly the worst defender in the NBA day 1. We should be swinging for upside on players like Topic, Castle, Risacher, Buzelis, etc.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with the assessment of Sochan and Castle's compatibility right now... but I sure hope that *if* Castle is the best prospect available that we don't pass on him because of Jeremy ing Sochan. Sochan isn't good enough to dictate our drafting decisions.
    Of course, but you know how they operate.

Sure, in those scenarios you laid out there will be a few who will be upset at the outcome. I kinda doubt it’s likely they don’t select a sure-thing on offense at 8th if they pick Castle at 4th though.

For the record, I was a massive Castle hater until recently. He moves like a future star on offense without currently producing tangibly. I think many here will come around on him after 40 games or so if he gets drafted. I don’t think we’re talking Sochan-level rawness here.
    Too unnecessarily risky to leave that to chance.

I'm not out on Castle (though I'm always skeptical of the archetype) so much as I am his fit on this roster. It's not just the lack of shooting either, it's the lack of assertiveness.

There are zero offensive dynamic players in this draft. Dillingham/ Risacher and Sheppard won't be high volume scorers.
    Dillingham is clearly a dynamic creator/shooter and Sheppard is a dynamic shooter too (even if more stationary). Risacher isn't, but at least projects as someone defenses won't disregard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it’s true that the spurs will bring in a vet PG to mentor which ever guard they draft… what do we think of Isaiah Collier? I know his season was up and down but he’s big and physical, can you imagine teams guarding a pick & roll with him and wemby!

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dillingham is clearly a dynamic creator/shooter and Sheppard is a dynamic shooter too (even if more stationary). Risacher isn't, but at least projects as someone defenses won't disregard.
    I don't think Dillingham will be as good as people think. His size will be a problem in the NBA. He doesn't look quick enough to get to the basket on a regular. Sheppard is only going to be a role player off the bench.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it’s true that the spurs will bring in a vet PG to mentor which ever guard they draft… what do we think of Isaiah Collier? I know his season was up and down but he’s big and physical, can you imagine teams guarding a pick & roll with him and wemby!
    He needs to crush this pre-draft process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Dillingham will be as good as people think. His size will be a problem in the NBA. He doesn't look quick enough to get to the basket on a regular. Sheppard is only going to be a role player off the bench.
    I got news for you, but Castle almost certainly will be too unless he does something virtually unheard of among his archetype and become a good enough shooter for defenses to respect.

Dillingham and Sheppard stand good chances of being sixth men. Castle could easily range from fringe rotation to replacement player.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dillingham gives you shooting, rim pressure, and is begging to be a Spur. Get him at 4 without a doubt. I'm not against Castle but there seems to be an illogical push towards him. Do people think he's a good shooter now? He would have to show that in multiple workouts I would think.

If you get Dillingham at 4, tons of ways to draft at 8 with a wing. Depending on who remains, I'd be cool with Holland (upside project), Cody (same), Knecht (scoring, still some upside), Castle (utility guy, defense).

If we end up Castle at 4, I feel like we have to get Knecht to improve our shooting. No way would I want Castle and Holland due to shooting concerns, possibly Castle and Cody are solid, but the team doesn't improve much in the short term.

To me, Dillingham at 4 just makes the 8 pick more palatable no matter who they get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you think Dillingham isn't a dynamic scorer or quick enough to get to the basket, I doubt you ever watched him. He's not guaranteed to succeed, but he definitely fits that mold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not out on Castle (though I'm always skeptical of the archetype) so much as I am his fit on this roster. It's not just the lack of shooting either, it's the lack of assertiveness.
    Recent players with a similar profile (defensively oriented jumbo guards with high IQ but awful shooting) didn't hit thus far: Anthony Black and Dyson Daniels. To be fair Castle seems much more resourceful getting to the basket and finishing, but the offensive issues (especially shooting) have really hurt them badly. No matter how good he is elsewhere, Castle would have to be at least an average (and willing) shooter to be worthy of that top 4 selection.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got news for you, but Castle almost certainly will be too unless he does something virtually unheard of among his archetype and become a good enough shooter for defenses to respect.

Dillingham and Sheppard stand good chances of being sixth men. Castle could easily range from fringe rotation to replacement player.
    Castle is most definitely intriguing, but I agree that Dilly is closer to a sure thing. Like you said, his floor is probably a sixth man. He has enough scoring and play making ability to at least be moderately successful at the next level. And as many of us have said before, none of these guys are slam dunks. All of them in one way or another are a roll of the dice and I'd rather roll the dice towards someone who can score and make plays.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Recent players with a similar profile (defensively oriented jumbo guards with high IQ but awful shooting) didn't hit thus far: Anthony Black and Dyson Daniels. To be fair Castle seems much more resourceful getting to the basket and finishing, but the offensive issues (especially shooting) have really hurt them badly. No matter how good he is elsewhere, Castle would have to be at least an average (and willing) shooter to be worthy of that top 4 selection.
    I've got him #8 on my Board and I'm comfortable with that based on the shooting limitations.

Believe.
    Post Count
    Our problems are PG, forward and shooting. You are propossing to add a SG and center that can't shoot. How in the F does any of these guys solve ANY of our all problems, let alone ALL of them?

Imagine a lineup of Castle, Vassell, Sochan, Wemby and Clingan. Easily the worst lineup in the entire league. The Pistons would beat us by 40. That wouldn't even work in the pre-three point line invention era.
    Dude Pistons wouldn’t even score 40 on that lineup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to crush this pre-draft process.
    hint: he's not

Thread Information