Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Penn State Nittany Lions
    Wish one of the WWI docs would do a more concentrated and detailed battle of the Isonzos
    You usually don't hear much about Italy in those docs. Most of the time they are talked about, it's usually about nameless battles they had going on in the Alps

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Wish one of the WWI docs would do a more concentrated and detailed battle of the Isonzos

on a side note this is the official Do entary topic.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...=Do entaries

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Netflix has a few Nazi stuff that Baseline Bum would love.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    The WWI in Colour do entary (mentioned earlier in this thread) is pretty good.

As far as WWI movies go, Johnny Got His Gun is strange, but I like it. A Very Long Engagement might be the best, though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Penn State Nittany Lions
    on a side note this is the official Do entary topic.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...=Do entaries
    nah, I'm fine in this thread.

The WWI in Colour do entary (mentioned earlier in this thread) is pretty good.

As far as WWI movies go, Johnny Got His Gun is strange, but I like it. A Very Long Engagement might be the best, though.
    Never seen those; are they about the western front? I'm quite fond of "Gallipoli" and even more so with "Lawrence of Arabia". "Paths of Glory" is good and "Sgt York" is not bad for an older film.

But I'm still looking for a decent new-ish Western Front film that isn't forcefeeding us American storylines. Flyboys and Warhorse can lick my testicles.

Anyways, I'll look around this weekend and try to type up a WW1 doc list. Too many incomplete ones out there

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    nah, I'm fine in this thread.

Never seen those; are they about the western front? I'm quite fond of "Gallipoli" and even more so with "Lawrence of Arabia". "Paths of Glory" is good and "Sgt York" is not bad for an older film.

But I'm still looking for a decent new-ish Western Front film that isn't forcefeeding us American storylines. Flyboys and Warhorse can lick my testicles.

Anyways, I'll look around this weekend and try to type up a WW1 doc list. Too many incomplete ones out there
    Johnny Got His Gun is just B&W inner monologue of a guy who's been irreversibly maimed in the war. A Very Long Engagement is a french film (lol france), but is easily my favorite WWI movie ever made.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    jeebus, u'd like Beneath Hill 60 too. Passchendaele is decent, but overly masturbatory in the end.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Warhorse can lick my testicles.
    I can see you have an acquired taste.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Johnny Got His Gun is just B&W inner monologue of a guy who's been irreversibly maimed in the war. A Very Long Engagement is a french film (lol france), but is easily my favorite WWI movie ever made.
    Favorite WWII movie? I have to go with Der Untergang, since I can watch most of it with my pants down thanks to Gerda and Frau Goebbels.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Penn State Nittany Lions
    jeebus, u'd like Beneath Hill 60 too. Passchendaele is decent, but overly masturbatory in the end.
    I've heard of the hill 60 movie as well as the long engagement. Those ing mines though, that's some brutal . That'd be one of the worst ways to go if you survived the initial blasts.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Penn State Nittany Lions
    Favorite WWII movie? I have to go with Der Untergang, since I can watch most of it with my pants down thanks to Gerda and Frau Goebbels.
    Although not my favorite, I liked Enemy at the Gates. Anything with just Russians and Germans going at it is gonna make for a good flick.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    Favorite WWII movie?
    I honestly don't think I can answer that question

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This Is What Winning Looks Like was pretty good.

Afghanistan is really a hopeless country.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Penn State Nittany Lions
    5 mins after everyone leaves that country, the hardcore dirty knees will take over and that'll be that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I honestly don't think I can answer that question
    I think I found my favorite WWII movie tbh

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Recommendations for The Great War? PBS's The Great War and the Shaping of the 20th Century is awesome (think I mentioned that one earlier in the thread), but I don't really know any others.
    There's one called The First World War that's available on youtube; bout 10 parts at 50 or so minutes a piece...it's pretty good. I've seen parts of random BBC ones like WWI in Colour that sometimes comes on the History Channel. I know there are others, just gotta find a list of them.
    BBC made a 26 part (with a couple more added later) do entary series in the 60s also called The Great War. Incredible.

For movies, BBC also adapted the novel Birdsong last year. A lot of melodrama in it, but also some fair attempts to portray aspects of the battle of the Somme, which really needs to be its own movie or miniseries someday.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    BBC made a 26 part (with a couple more added later) do entary series in the 60s also called The Great War. Incredible.

For movies, BBC also adapted the novel Birdsong last year. A lot of melodrama in it, but also some fair attempts to portray aspects of the battle of the Somme, which really needs to be its own movie or miniseries someday.
    Never heard of the BBC series; thanks, I'll have to check it out. I wonder if it's as good as Thames' World at War was for WWII (best do entary I have ever seen, and it's not even close). The PBS series The Great War and the Shaping of the 20th Century seems a little biased in trying to make KKK-asshole Woodrow Wilson into some kind of hero.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins

I'm on part 9 of that BBC series right now. Very detailed, good stuff

I liked Birdsong--melodramatic, like you said, but altogether pretty solid.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    Never heard of the BBC series; thanks, I'll have to check it out. I wonder if it's as good as Thames' World at War was for WWII (best do entary I have ever seen, and it's not even close). The PBS series The Great War and the Shaping of the 20th Century seems a little biased in trying to make KKK-asshole Woodrow Wilson into some kind of hero.
    Some presidents were assholes, but they were needed nonetheless. Andrew Jackson--for example--was one of our best, despite his ownership of slaves and the Trail of Tear complaints

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I'm on part 9 of that BBC series right now. Very detailed, good stuff

I liked Birdsong--melodramatic, like you said, but altogether pretty solid.
    You didn't like Triumph des Willens?

The Nazi eagle alone was worth the price of admission tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    You didn't like Triumph des Willens?

The Nazi eagle alone was worth the price of admission tbh.
    My grandfather (on my father's side) is in that film for a brief second. I you not. I'll call my old man tomorrow and ask him where exactly, then I'll PM it to you. Not kidding.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Burzynski and the magic johnson do entary

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    My grandfather (on my father's side) is in that film for a brief second. I you not. I'll call my old man tomorrow and ask him where exactly, then I'll PM it to you. Not kidding.
    Nice

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    BB, I know the shot of him is a scene during one of the parades (duh) where you see a camera truck or van. On top of it are a cameraman and his assistant. The assistant is my granddad (RIP). Like I said, I'll ask about it tomorrow cause I don't feel like watching the whole thing tonight.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    tbh I just wish the sonuva would've left me a Luger...those things are like hen's teeth

Thread Information