Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lifetime bans on coaches who are involved, lifetime bans on A.D.'s who covered-up illegal/immoral acts, vacating of awards/individual les of students who are involved, vacating of les, etc.
    How do you punish the ins ution (alumni included) that knew this guy was s and, because of the prestige of Joe Paterno and the Penn State football program, ignored the rumors and hid the truth.

The knowledge of this guy's actions pervade the entire culture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree with what the penalty should be. I'm fine with a total shutdown of the football program for a few years. But to think that they are going have a bunch of kids dreaming to play for them is a pipe dream at this point. It would be hard enough to start convincing any high talent prospects to help start the program over without the pedo situation. But my guess is that there aren't many kids out there who are still dreaming to play football at Penn State. For the foreseeable future, the first thing anyone is going to think when they see a Penn State uniform, jersey, sweatshirt, etc., is Sandusky. My guess is that this is has already irreparably damaged their future recruitment success in any sport.
    Rivals.com/Football recruiting/Penn St.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rivals.com/Football recruiting/Penn St.
    maybe those recruits are gay and don't know that Sandusky is gone.

on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    The state of denial Paterno's family is in is hilarious

"We demand to re-examine all of the evidence!"

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    If the recruits weren't legal adults, that lame "joke" might ALMOST make sense, B...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right because gay teens obviously like rape.

And old pickles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right because gay teens obviously like rape.

And old pickles.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The state of denial Paterno's family is in is hilarious
    There's nothing funny about any of it.

on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    There's nothing funny about any of it.
    There's nothing funny about Paterno and what he did, but I find it pretty hilarious how JoePa's family and biggest fans refuse to admit Paterno did anything wrong.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    double post
    Last edited by Wild Cobra Kai; 07-16-2012 at 09:53 PM.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    The current players and most of the current coaches and staff will end up paying for it even though they had zero to do with the abuse and cover-up. collateral damage so to speak.
    The players can be released immediately to play in other programs. The younger staff will probably get jobs. The older staff may be tainted, but I hardly think a few coaches are a reason to keep a program from deservedly crashing.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You cut off their football revenue and you're punishing the right people.
    Couldn't have said it any better.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't football fund a lot of academia as well?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if pen state goes broke so be it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And, Hitler made the trains run on time.

The point being, one up can ruin a legacy.

If Paterno knew Sandusky was a pedophile and let it go, he deserves to be erased from the record books, have his name stripped from all buildings, his statues pulled down, and the name "Nobody" put in its place.
    Wow. I agree with Yoni.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't football fund a lot of academia as well?
    I can't imagine this is the case at the collegiate level. Funding for academic purposes is brought in by academics. I'm not 100% on this but I'm about 90.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Lifetime Original "Showers for Algernon: The Jerry Sandusky Story".

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't imagine this is the case at the collegiate level. Funding for academic purposes is brought in by academics. I'm not 100% on this but I'm about 90.
    Penn state is one of those few schools where football proceeds could end up funding academics -- and who's to say the influence of football on alumni donations, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Lifetime Original "Showers for Algernon: The Jerry Sandusky Story".
    EEEEEEEEUCK!

I'll have to go waste a couple of hours here as my wife watches it or just plan ahead and spend the night at the ranch...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For top tier NCAA Division 1 schools sports like football are a huge cash cow. Millions a year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Penn state is one of those few schools where football proceeds could end up funding academics -- and who's to say the influence of football on alumni donations, etc.
    For top tier NCAA Division 1 schools sports like football are a huge cash cow. Millions a year.
    I have no doubt the big football programs in the nation like Penn State bring in a lot of money but I always figured it was funneled within the Athletics department. Those programs bring in lot of money but they also have amazing facilities (from which much of the rest of the university does benefit) and expenses run high.

I can't say for sure, but I would be very surprised to see money from football going to academics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Although google is my friend....

Successful football programs inject millions into their universities’ academic programs. Athletic departments not only cover the costs of student-athlete scholarships, but they often contribute to non-athletic scholarship funds. Alabama’s athletic department, for instance, contributed $3.5 million to the school’s non-athletic scholarship fund last year as part of a $6.5 million contribution package for university programming. Even far less profitable programs like Iowa and Oregon State have been central to academic initiatives. Iowa Athletics contributed $9 million to a new Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, and Oregon State’s athletic department spent $7 million to open the school’s Academic Success Center. Both are available to all university students.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmi...elp-academics/

Thats definitely not chump change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Democratic strategist James Carville argued that it would be "a really dumb idea" to suspend the Penn State football program, despite an independent investigation finding that top university officials, including former head coach Joe Paterno, worked to conceal child sex abuse allegations against former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

"Look, this is awful, gut-wrenching. And people that I really respect are talking about the 'death penalty' for Penn State football," Carville said on the "This Week" roundtable, referring to calls for the NCAA to effectively shut down the Penn State football program for several years as punishment. "That is a really dumb idea. Lives have been ruined, so the answer to it, let's go out and ruin more lives?"

"Let's take a kid who's a football player who was in the second grade when this happened and let's suspend the program. Who knows what he's going to do with his education?" Carville added. "Let's take every contract that's been signed … everybody that has a motel in Happy Valley, let's ruin their lives as a retaliation."

Carville argued instead that the Penn State football program should be allowed to continue so it can generate money, which can then be used to compensate the victims of Sandusky's child abuse.

"Let Penn State football play, let them make money, bring the trial lawyers in, pluck that chicken clean," Carville said..........

More

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...lly-dumb-idea/

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with Carville. Considering the direct consequences the truly responsible parties are going to feel in the form of criminal and/or civil judgements against them, not to mention the permament black cloud that will hang over them for the rest of their lives, I really don't see Spanier, Curley or Schultz giving much of a whether or not Penn State doesn't get to play football for a couple of years. All the death penalty does is punish people who didn't have anything to do with it.

Thread Information