Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just For a comparison, Pels who are a very hot team just got thrashed by the Wiz. Why? No AD! Spurs have a great supporting cast for KL. As fans we are frustrated but we realy do have a great team that’s missing the star player. Hope he comes back this year... no point in saving him... tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just For a comparison, Pels who are a very hot team just got thrashed by the Wiz. Why? No AD! Spurs have a great supporting cast for KL. As fans we are frustrated but we realy do have a great team that’s missing the star player. Hope he comes back this year... no point in saving him... tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know it's a running joke on this forum among some posters and I'm sure it can be refuted by some research, but doesn't it seem legit that Popovich really puts on an act during these National TV games?

Calling timeouts after 10 seconds of action, hockey subs utions, yelling at players after a timeout, the sideline reporter shtick, etc..have to put on an act for the casuals and mainstream media

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know it's a running joke on this forum among some posters and I'm sure it can be refuted by some research, but doesn't it seem legit that Popovich really puts on an act during these National TV games?

Calling timeouts after 10 seconds of action, hockey subs utions, yelling at players after a timeout, the sideline reporter shtick, etc..have to put on an act for the casuals and mainstream media
    Of course dude. I keep telling people on here it’s an act. But but but look how mad he was because he was yelling . Please. He doesn’t give two s about it anymore. I mean, the guy literally says “it’s just basketball” over and over. The guy has literally said, “new planets were discovered.”

He doesn’t have it in him anymore. He is done. I can’t wait for the guy retire. And I don’t want him in the FO office either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course dude. I keep telling people on here it’s an act. But but but look how mad he was because he was yelling . Please. He doesn’t give two s about it anymore. I mean, the guy literally says “it’s just basketball” over and over. The guy has literally said, “new planets were discovered.”

He doesn’t have it in him anymore. He is done. I can’t wait for the guy retire. And I don’t want him in the FO office either.
    We definitely need young blood... I think the current NBA has passed him, and he is too stubborn to change (Phil Jackson anyone?)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I've been saying for a while, that Pop has become a caricature of himself and he definitely forces his shtick on national TV. He knows the coverage of the Spurs is that of a college team, where the coach is the star. Considering they have an MVP candidate and another All-Star, it's disgusting and part of the reason why so many players, most notably the majority of the top ones, clearly don't want to play here.

What's worse, is players past and present alike, regurgitating this played out media narrative of "this being one of his best coaching jobs" and "him being able to take any 5 guys and make them good". Not only is that bull and they know it, but it's incredibly disrespectful to the great players he's had the pleasure of coaching throughout his career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We definitely need young blood... I think the current NBA has passed him, and he is too stubborn to change (Phil Jackson anyone?)
    yep, he's still putting slow ass 7 footers out there on the regular. This isn't 1999 or the early 2000s.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I've been saying for a while, that Pop has become a caricature of himself and he definitely forces his shtick on national TV. He knows the coverage of the Spurs is that of a college team, where the coach is the star. Considering they have an MVP candidate and another All-Star, it's disgusting and part of the reason why so many players, most notably the majority of the top ones, clearly don't want to play here.

What's worse, is players past and present alike, regurgitating this played out media narrative of "this being one of his best coaching jobs" and "him being able to take any 5 guys and make them good". Not only is that bull and they know it, but it's incredibly disrespectful to the great players he's had the pleasure of coaching throughout his career.
    I feel Duncan's legacy suffers the most disrespect from this media narrative. I have argued with idiots on realgm and reddit who feel Duncan was only great because he played for Pop or that he would not have been a winner had he not played for Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Going with Forbes over Bertans as the 10th man, against a team loaded with big wings
    - When they went to that gigantic lineup, inexplicably keeping his micro lineup in, with Mills defending Middleton!
    - Final possession of a quarter, he goes without Murray/Parker, which obviously makes sense for spacing, but then leaves Gay in over Bertans
    - Continuing to play Mills 30+ minutes, yet almost always keeping Green below that threshold, even when he's far better suited for the match-up and outshooting the former
    - Despite the run they made, going big down the stretch and playing hi-lo, yet making it more difficult by saddling them with 2 of the worst shooters in the league
    - Not calling timeout on the final play. I know they can't create, so he didn't want to play against a set defense, but they could have saved time getting it over midcourt, subbed out Murray and got another shooter in the game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop excels at drawing up the play. Pop always relied on his assistants to cover his weakness which was player rotations. Pop does not listen to anyone anymore and has just gotten too full of himself to the point he is his own worse enemy. He is mentally weak, and that weakness has become contagious among the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop excels at drawing up the play. Pop always relied on his assistants to cover his weakness which was player rotations. Pop does not listen to anyone anymore and has just gotten too full of himself to the point he is his own worse enemy. He is mentally weak, and that weakness has become contagious among the Spurs.
    He listens to his notecards.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who replaces Pop?

This is where the but... But.... But....

Find the hottest relatively young college guy (Brad Stevens?) the pro guy who is established (Brad Stevens) From our own Bunch?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who replaces Pop?

This is where the but... But.... But....

Find the hottest relatively young college guy (Brad Stevens?) the pro guy who is established (Brad Stevens) From our own Bunch?
    This argument is so lame. Pop is pushing 70. You’re not replacing an in-his-prime guy. It’s obvious, the guy just doesn’t give a anymore. Not saying hes trying to lose, but he is not the same Pop. He had a all star free agent that asked to be traded. He’s got a superstar to 5 league MVP who’s in no hurry to come back and play for him. When has that ever happened in Pops tenure? Players can feel when a coach is just going through the motions. Winning and losing doesn’t matter as much. And that’s fine, but at some point it’s time for a change.

Besides, who was Pop before he replaced Bob Hill. The man almost got fired and he had Tim Duncan!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This argument is so lame. Pop is pushing 70. You’re not replacing an in-his-prime guy. It’s obvious, the guy just doesn’t give a anymore. Not saying hes trying to lose, but he is not the same Pop. He had a all star free agent that asked to be traded. He’s got a superstar to 5 league MVP who’s in no hurry to come back and play for him. When has that ever happened in Pops tenure? Players can feel when a coach is just going through the motions. Winning and losing doesn’t matter as much. And that’s fine, but at some point it’s time for a change.

Besides, who was Pop before he replaced Bob Hill. The man almost got fired and he had Tim Duncan!!
    Pop to me has just lost the fire and compe iveness he once had. Last year his delayed reaction in the WCF towards Zaza's cheap shot really showed it to me. Him being buddy buddy with Kerr and Mike Brown during that series despite getting his ass kicked to me was a sign that the fire is no longer there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coach Bud isn't in good terms with the new Hawks management. .. He's the perfect coach for this new generation. ..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

nice post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone gets old Pop is old as dirt.

Its pretty damn simple

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bud is too soft, not even half the coach Pop is. I think Pop retires soon. They wont release him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop goes one more season and then transitions to full time team president and they hire a new coach. I just hope it is not Messina.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when did pop almost get fired while having tim duncan?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when did pop almost get fired while having tim duncan?
    The '99 team started out badly after that strike-shortened season commenced.

Rumors were rampant . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The '99 team started out badly after that strike-shortened season commenced.

Rumors were rampant . . .
    so to criticize pop, we're pointing out a segment of a season where we wound up winning our first championship in franchise history?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so to criticize pop, we're pointing out a segment of a season where we wound up winning our first championship in franchise history?
    True, but he was pretty near getting fired after that embarrassing loss to Utah on national TV. Coc was the likely replacement and that huge win in Houston was likely what saved Pop's job. Well that and the huge tear they finished the season on beginning with that win in Houston.

Thread Information