Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.axios.com/2023/05/17/abo...sing-elections
    In the 11 months since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, Republicans have underperformed in federal, judicial, statewide and local elections across the country.

Why it matters: Abortion isn't the only factor driving their election woes, especially in local races. But a toxic party brand can easily trickle down-ballot, and the GOP so far hasn't been able to navigate the voter backlash that began with a New York special election last August.

Driving the news: Jacksonville on Tuesday elected its second Democratic mayor in 30 years, with Donna Deegan upsetting Daniel Davis — a Republican endorsed by Gov. Ron DeSantis — in Florida's largest city.

• It was the first major election in Florida since DeSantis signed a six-week abortion ban — which a March poll found 75% of Florida residents oppose — in a private ceremony close to midnight last month.
    • In Colorado Springs, Colorado, independent businessman Yemi Mobolade was elected the first non-Republican mayor since 1979 — a "political earthquake" in a conservative stronghold, according to local media.
    • In Pennsylvania, Democrats held on to their one-seat state House majority by winning a special election in the Philadelphia suburbs, allowing them to block a GOP-backed referendum on limiting abortion rights.

By the numbers: Across 18 state legislative races held this year, including yesterday, Democrats have outperformed the 2020 presidential results by an average of six points, according to a Washington Post analysis.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden is correct Trump killed Roe

Couldn't have done it without RBG's help. Rest in peace Ruth.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Trump lovers have such weird flex. Comes with the lack of a sex life, I suppose.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I wish Roe wasn't overturned especially so soon, because it's an issue I couldn't care less about one way or the other since I'm an atheist, and pro-choice (or at least pro-right to choose) seems to be the prevailing majority opinion among independents and swing voters.

But appointing 3 solid conservatives to SCOTUS to replace 1 based conservative, 1 fifty-fifty voter and 1 stalwart leftist, has been much more good than bad despite overturning Roe being bad. Our SCOTUS majority has largely saved the country from even worse and quicker draconian tyrannical turmoil than what we did have to suffer through during the dark years of the Democrat 2021-22 trifecta, largely pertaining to green new deal ecofascist legislation including cap and trade, mandatory covid vax for all or indefinite prison time, immediate US citizenship for all immigrants regardless of paperwork (It's what the leftists truly want, don't kid yourself) and complete normalization of all counterculture and pretty much the 1st and 2nd Amendments would have been gutted by now. Gun laws would be similar to Canada and speech laws closer to China by now. The SCOTUS majority during the darkest few years may be what ultimately saves the USA.

Trump lovers have such weird flex. Comes with the lack of a sex life, I suppose.
    Obtuse and ignorant.

I guess having a gay or bi sex life definitely makes one think like a liberal, I suppose.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Lack of gay sex life. Das ist true.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish Roe wasn't overturned especially so soon, because it's an issue I couldn't care less about one way or the other since I'm an atheist, and pro-choice (or at least pro-right to choose) seems to be the prevailing majority opinion among independents and swing voters.
    I think you wish it wasn't overturned simply because of party politics. Overturning Roe was the right thing to do and abortion is back to being a state issue as it should. I'm pro choice but I'm also pro cons ution and pro representative democracy. If the people of Texas care enough about the issue to start replacing GOP politicians then the Texas GOP can either moderate their position or lose power. I'm fine with either outcome. At the national level, if the people of this country care enough about the issue to give the Dems enough power to codify abortion rights into a cons utional law then I'm fine with that too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The weird flex is coming from you lib dudes ever since Roe was overturned. I mean you guys are pretending that you lot's of women, knock them up, and then get them to have abortions...Cuz that's what real manly men do.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird flex straw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The weird flex is coming from you lib dudes ever since Roe was overturned. I mean you guys are pretending that you lot's of women, knock them up, and then get them to have abortions...Cuz that's what real manly men do.
    For real! Especially AL and other "male feminists" here. You have to be a real special type of pussy to claim to be a "male feminist"; not only that but an irl incel too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For real! Especially AL and other "male feminists" here. You have to be a real special type of pussy to claim to be a "male feminist"; not only that but an irl incel too.
    Are women the enemy?

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you wish it wasn't overturned simply because of party politics. Overturning Roe was the right thing to do and abortion is back to being a state issue as it should. I'm pro choice but I'm also pro cons ution and pro representative democracy. If the people of Texas care enough about the issue to start replacing GOP politicians then the Texas GOP can either moderate their position or lose power. I'm fine with either outcome. At the national level, if the people of this country care enough about the issue to give the Dems enough power to codify abortion rights into a cons utional law then I'm fine with that too.
    I'm not okay with that because the Dems getting too much power means that along with the abortion codification comes draconian green new deal, globalist, white replacement, stagflation, and vaxmania that will have me wanting to move to the Falkland Islands.

I wish it wasn't overturned because if it wasn't then the fact is we would be looking at 53 senate seats, 240ish House seats, and 30+ governorships along with a much clearer pathway to 270 electoral college points next year.

Are women the enemy?
    Based on the way they vote on average compared to men, unfortunately yes.

Abolish the 19th and the Dems have a hard time winning all but the bluest of elections these days.

Abolish the 19th and the Dems have no realistic path to 270 electoral college points.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not okay with that because the Dems getting too much power means that along with the abortion codification comes draconian green new deal, globalist, white replacement, stagflation, and vaxmania that will have me wanting to move to the Falkland Islands.

I wish it wasn't overturned because if it wasn't then the fact is we would be looking at 53 senate seats, 240ish House seats, and 30+ governorships along with a much clearer pathway to 270 electoral college points next year.

Based on the way they vote on average compared to men, unfortunately yes.

Abolish the 19th and the Dems have a hard time winning all but the bluest of elections these days.

Abolish the 19th and the Dems have no realistic path to 270 electoral college points.
    Puritanical obstructionism. I don't think you can distill the modern GOPo more.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Imagine the ability to murder fetuses being a major priority in your life. We aren't talking contraceptives here.

I'm fine with legalizing it for the entire nation but imagine killing being make or break issue for someone. Very mature bunch, can't strategize responsible sex.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are women the enemy?
    Are babies in the womb?,,,,,because you democrats sure are determined to snub 'em out,,,,,

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine the ability to murder fetuses being a major priority in your life. We aren't talking contraceptives here.

I'm fine with legalizing it for the entire nation but imagine killing being make or break issue for someone. Very mature bunch, can't strategize responsible sex.
    You have a remarkable ability to misunderstand almost anything. Did you ever get your foreskin reconstruction?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    " ing lots of women" = Weird flex?

Only in Incel Land.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Yeah I can't understand why the choice of whether women should be compelled to complete an unwanted 40 week pregnancy is such an important issue for people either, they should be more concerned about someone with a penis 12 states away winning a girls swimming compe ion.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    "Ha ha we made it more difficult for women to terminate an unwanted pregnancy and we will continue to enable the politicians who want a federal ban. This will make women think twice about having sex."

That's you guys. That's weird.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    You have a remarkable ability to misunderstand almost anything. Did you ever get your foreskin reconstruction?
    They'll never get my foreskin!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are babies in the womb?,,,,,because you democrats sure are determined to snub 'em out,,,,,
    No, we just think individual women can decide for themselves without your threats and rage.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    "Ha ha we made it more difficult for women to terminate an unwanted pregnancy and we will continue to enable the politicians who want a federal ban. This will make women think twice about having sex."

That's you guys. That's weird.
    Politically I think Republicans should punt the issue. Anyone that personally feels very strongly against abortions isn't going to flip political parties because GOP changes focus. And as the most Liberal nation on the Planet it makes sense to be legal nation wide.

If the American people increasingly want so badly to be irresponsible with sex, then it's time to come to terms with that. You can't parent other people, even teachers today are being increasingly ignored & even abused.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Politically I think Republicans should punt the issue. Anyone that personally feels very strongly against abortions isn't going to flip political parties because GOP changes focus. And as the most Liberal nation on the Planet it makes sense to be legal nation wide.

If the American people increasingly want so badly to be irresponsible with sex, then it's time to come to terms with that. You can't parent other people, even teachers today are being increasingly ignored & even abused.

Yeah that'll work piss off the base on the one issue you've been fighting for 50 years

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Yeah that'll work piss off the base on the one issue you've been fighting for 50 years
    There's 2 parties

They'll get over it in a voting cycle or two

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are women the enemy?
    Why would they be? "Male feminists" are the enemy tbh and they're s my losers too. Prove me wrong!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would they be? "Male feminists" are the enemy tbh and they're s my losers too. Prove me wrong!
    Because they support women's rights and causes?

That doesn't make sense unless you think women are in fact the enemy.

Thread Information