PDA

View Full Version : Official 2009 NBA Draft Day Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

timvp
06-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Post any draft related news you find in here. Also use this thread for play-by-play during the draft.

timvp
06-25-2009, 12:46 PM
While much of our attention revolves around the lottery, we don’t want to forget about the rest of this draft, which is likely to be even more unpredictable. We’re touching base with a number of NBA teams sitting inside their war rooms on an hourly basis to figure out the latest, and it seems like we can expect quite a bit of movement to occur in the 17-30 range based on what we’re hearing.

“I’ve never seen a draft with so many loose ends this late in the game” one longtime observer told us this morning.

Multiple teams are trying to trade into the first round at the moment, with the most aggressive of them still being Houston, Miami and San Antonio. Another team that has begun to explore that option more thoroughly is Denver apparently. They could be in the hunt for a point guard, with the likes of Toney Douglas, Jeff Teague and possibly Darren Collison being their targets.

Picks that are potentially available include Oklahoma City (#25), Chicago (#26), Memphis (#27), Minnesota (#28) and the Los Angeles Lakers (#29). The going price will likely be cash.

A source with the New York Knicks tells us that they've acquired the #29 pick from the LA Lakers in exchange for 3 million dollars in cash.

More on that as it becomes available.

PBEEZY
06-25-2009, 12:47 PM
How many hours till the draft begins???? Im not American...so dont know the time difference

EricB
06-25-2009, 12:47 PM
lol the Lakers just outright sold the pick.

Unreal.

lurker23
06-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Is it just me, or is $3 million pretty high for #29? I think that's the max you can pay, and previous reports I had heard said the pick might be available for $500k or $1 million.

duncan228
06-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Will people be in chat tonight for play-by-play too?

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 12:56 PM
$3 mil is the going rate for 1st round picks (thanks Allen and Cablevision). Man, it's hard to see the Spurs dropping that on a 1st rounder unless they are certain he's the real deal.

benefactor
06-25-2009, 12:58 PM
How many hours till the draft begins???? Im not American...so dont know the time difference
6:30pm CST...which is about five and a half hours from now.

PBEEZY
06-25-2009, 01:04 PM
6:30pm CST...which is about five and a half hours from now.
thanks

coyotes_geek
06-25-2009, 01:04 PM
$3 mil is the going rate for 1st round picks (thanks Allen and Cablevision). Man, it's hard to see the Spurs dropping that on a 1st rounder unless they are certain he's the real deal.

$3 mil is a lot. Hopefully the Spurs can catch a break and find some GM in a panic as he gets closer and closer to being on the clock.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 01:05 PM
The Spurs could possibly get two prospects with a late first round pick and at #37 who could contribute sooner rather than later. If the Spurs are approaching this as now or never, perhaps they take a shot at that. Nos. 51 and 53 can be used for 'draft & stash' or on someone they really like but feel is a long shot.

They drafted Hill and he was able to contribute immediately. It will be a surprise to see the Spurs drop 3 large for the right to draft a prospect but then again, what was taking on $30 million to have Jefferson in the silver & black?

Libri
06-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Is it just me, or is $3 million pretty high for #29? I think that's the max you can pay, and previous reports I had heard said the pick might be available for $500k or $1 million.

To me that seems like a lot of money :greedy for the next to last pick of the first round.

coyotes_geek
06-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Keep in mind the knicks have never been known for being thrifty. Wouldn't be the first time they've overpaid for something.

manufan10
06-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Yahoo Sports' Mock Draft has the Spurs taking:

37. San Antonio Spurs – Jermaine Taylor, SG, Central Florida: Super athletic, big two guard could make the Spurs as their first pick in this draft.

51. San Antonio Spurs – Dante Cunningham, SF, Villanova: Big East’s most improved player last season.

53. San Antonio Spurs – Jon Brockman, PF, Washington: Undersized banger will show Gregg Popovich an NBA work ethic

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApUHNiHlFjeawi4zM5iBPPA5nYcB?slug=ys-mockdraftsecondround062509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 01:11 PM
lol Knicks. It's the Jerome James of draft picks.

Steve-O-Matic
06-25-2009, 01:13 PM
To me that seems like a lot of money :greedy for the next to last pick of the first round.

It's all about supply and demand. If there are a lot of bidders for the pick (which it sounds like there are/were), then it's not necessarily too much.

timvp
06-25-2009, 01:19 PM
POSTED: June 25 -- 2:13 p.m. ET

Andy Katz: Memphis and Minnesota talked again about trading the No. 2 pick (Memphis) to Minnesota for the No. 5 and 6 picks or the No. 5 or 6 and Kevin Love. But the price was too high for Minnesota, so Memphis plans on keeping the pick. According to multiple sources, Memphis would pick Connecticut center Hasheem Thabeet.

• Minnesota is hoping to land a specific player at No. 18 -- who could be Earl Clark (Louisville) or James Johnson (Wake Forest), among others. If that player isn't available, then the Wolves are expected to trade the pick, according to a source.

• Cleveland held on to the No. 30 pick in the trade with Phoenix for Shaquille O'Neal and wants to get a point guard with the selection. The Cavs are hoping a point guard projected to go higher drops down to them, according to a source.

• Brandon Jennings is scheduled to be one of the 15 players in the green room at the draft. But he could be pulled from the green room. Representatives of Jennings were huddling to make a decision on Thursday.

The fear is that Jennings will slide if Golden State (unlikely after the trade to get Speedy Claxton and Acie Law from Atlanta for Jamal Crawford) at No. 7, the Knicks at No. 8 or the Bucks at No. 10 all pass on him. If that happens then Jennings would likely fall into the 20s. Jennings' camp wants to avoid an embarrassing situation where Jennings is sitting there and not selected for a while. If they can get assurances that he will be picked high enough then he will stay in the room.

• Oklahoma City, Detroit and Chicago made assurances early on Thursday that they weren't dealing their top 16 picks.

• Pittsburgh coach Jamie Dixon received a number of calls earlier this week, and as late as Thursday, about DeJuan Blair's knees. Dixon, who is en route to New Zealand to coach the USA Under 19 national team playing in the World Championships, said he told the teams, including Indiana at No. 13, that Blair never missed a practice or game in his two years. Blair's knees have been questioned because he had ACL surgery on each knee in high school. Wonder if the Spurs may be looking at that 18th pick. If so, WTF could they be offering? Hill?

timvp
06-25-2009, 01:21 PM
The fact that we’re hearing these rumors makes them somewhat newsworthy, but considering the timing and nature of draft day, we’re extremely skeptical about the veracity of these reports, so take them with a grain of salt.

-Houston sends Shane Battier and Aaron Brooks to Sacramento for Beno Udrih at the #4 pick. A third team might have to get involved to make the salaries work. Most people around the league believe that Houston is very happy with their team at the moment, and that McGrady is really the only player they are looking to move.

-Plenty of Rondo talk throughout the top 10.

-A complicated three-way trade involving New Jersey, Minnesota and Memphis, which would send Devin Harris to Minnesota, the #5 and #6 picks to Memphis and Ricky Rubio and Craig Smith to New Jersey.

-New Jersey is also heavily shopping Vince Carter around in exchange for expiring contracts. It looks like they could be starting over from scratch, especially if both of these rumored trades go through.

-Portland dangling Greg Oden to try and get into the top 5? A number have teams say they are hearing that, although it could all be coming from the same source. A Trailblazers executive we spoke with emphatically denied that they would even consider trading Oden.

-Detroit is trying to unload more salary on teams with a trade exception or cap space, in order to get further under the cap for this summer’s free agent class. Walter Sharpe is one player mentioned often in a salary cap dump.
:lol @ Beno taking all of one year to be a bust that the Kings want to get rid of. Who saw that coming? :rolleyes

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Wonder if the Spurs may be looking at that 18th pick. If so, WTF could they be offering? Hill?

I hope not, unless they are sold on a certain prospect and are convinced he's a can't miss type. They did try to trade him before, of course, but that was for a starting center...

DBMethos
06-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Hill's probably going to be better than anyone from this weak draft at #18.

Libri
Kevin Pritchard and the Portland front office made an interesting move last night, trading their own pick and two second rounders to Dallas to move up two spots to the #22 pick. Two players they appear to be targeting are Omri Casspi and DeJuan Blair, although it would be a little surprising if Blair was there at 22.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Word-on-the-Street-June-24th-The-Latest-3283

Kevin Pritchard is trying to screw the Spurs again!

mcdunk
It's all about supply and demand. If there are a lot of bidders for the pick (which it sounds like there are/were), then it's not necessarily too much.
The Spurs are limited on how much they can move trade wise. The only two logical players on the block would be Mason and Bonner. Minnesota would be a logical suitor to trade out of the #18 or #28 spots but they are loaded with PF & C. So in order for the Spurs to get one of their picks big money will have to be spent.

bigdog
06-25-2009, 01:24 PM
That prick Pritchard is up to no good, again.

Bruno
06-25-2009, 01:27 PM
If Spurs want a first round pick this year, the most logical offer would be a future first round pick.

bigdog
06-25-2009, 01:29 PM
I think they should go after #18. It only makes sense if they really want someone like Casspi.

Blackjack
06-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Yahoo Sports' Mock Draft has the Spurs taking:

37. San Antonio Spurs – Jermaine Taylor, SG, Central Florida: Super athletic, big two guard could make the Spurs as their first pick in this draft.

51. San Antonio Spurs – Dante Cunningham, SF, Villanova: Big East’s most improved player last season.

53. San Antonio Spurs – Jon Brockman, PF, Washington: Undersized banger will show Gregg Popovich an NBA work ethic

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApUHNiHlFjeawi4zM5iBPPA5nYcB?slug=ys-mockdraftsecondround062509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I wonder if Ludden had anything to do with the rationale for these selections.

This is something that would definitely not suprise me, which, well... Come to think of it?

Yeah, this is definitely not happening.:lol

EricB
06-25-2009, 01:32 PM
First rounder in 2011, plus a mill might get in.

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 01:33 PM
If we're paying 3 million $ for a late-first rounder, fuck that..I'd rather just give Hairston or Williams a shot instead of paying that kind of price for a wing..if it's less and a future 1st rounder, then I'm for it, but otherwise, I don't want the front office to do it..offering Hill would just be stupidity..

Knicks paying 3 mil$ for #29 isn't surprising, and neither is the Lakers receiving that much..the league will probably help them out in a way to soften the tax blow of signing Ariza and Odom..

Bruno
06-25-2009, 01:33 PM
First rounder in 2011, plus a mill might get in.

or in 2010.

coyotes_geek
06-25-2009, 01:35 PM
#37 and some cash might be enough to get the Spurs into the mid 20s.

Blackjack
06-25-2009, 01:36 PM
If Spurs want a first round pick this year, the most logical offer would be a future first round pick.

What would you think it would take for the 18th?

Minnesota is loaded with young developing players, that this draft will only add to, so would a pick and say a veteran like Mason or Bonner be of any interest?(It'd be great if "Money Bags" Holt could somehow just buy the pick:downspin:)

I'm pretty high on Casspi but there's no way I want to include Hill in a trade.

EricB
06-25-2009, 01:36 PM
or in 2010.

Can't trade picks two years in a row Bruno!

:)

EricB
06-25-2009, 01:37 PM
#37 and some cash might be enough to get the Spurs into the mid 20s.

I dunno if I'd want to give up on that 37th pick just yet.

coyotes_geek
06-25-2009, 01:41 PM

You can't go 2 years without using a 1st round pick. It doesn't have to be your own. If they acquire one this year they can trade next year's.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Got 'em.

Stump
06-25-2009, 01:45 PM
I dunno if I'd want to give up on that 37th pick just yet.
I don't think Holt can/will straight up buy a pick, so we'd have to surrender atleast one asset to go along with cash. Since I don't want it to be Hill, Splitter, or a future first rounder, the #37 is the best thing to give up.

Bruno
06-25-2009, 01:46 PM

You can't trade two future consecutive first round pick.

Spurs can trade their 2010 first round pick tonight and make the trade official just after the draft.

EricB
06-25-2009, 01:47 PM

Spurs can trade their 2010 first round pick tonight and made the trade official just after the draft.

Damnt.

Apologies...

EricB
06-25-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't think Holt can/will straight up buy a pick, so we'd have to surrender atleast one asset to go along with cash. Since I don't want it to be Hill, Splitter, or a future first rounder, the #37 is the best thing to give up.

They could probobly use next years apparently.

Bruno
06-25-2009, 01:50 PM
What would you think it would take for the 18th?

Honestly, I don't know.

manufan10
06-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Got 'em.

:huh

Did I miss something?

Mugen
06-25-2009, 01:54 PM
i just hope the spurs arent dangling george to get into the mid first round. None of the guys in the range can have the affect that hill has this year especially if bowen isn't brought back.

Stump
06-25-2009, 01:59 PM
The Spurs have done a good job of infiltrating other teams' front offices with GMs and coaches. Why are none of them hooking us up with bargain deals? :hat

spurtilldeath
06-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Hill being traded for a first rounder is not happening. Spurs ain't that stupid. Unless they want to move to top 15. Hill that we have now(with 1 season of NBA experience) is better than many of the mid frist rounders. That simply is downgrading yourself. Not happening

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 02:00 PM

Spurs can trade their 2010 first round pick tonight and make the trade official just after the draft.

Damnt.

Apologies...

:huh

Did I miss something?

I was joking with EricB.

Stump
06-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Dumb question, but when does the draft officially start tonight (central time)?

Thanks in advance

Libri
DraftExpress was updated a few minutes ago. Its now DaJuan Summers at 37.

spurtilldeath
6.30 cst

ajballer4
06-25-2009, 02:04 PM
I just hope Hill doesnt end up being traded to move up. Him and the 4 should be locked here for now

Spursmania
06-25-2009, 02:04 PM
I just don't see SA spending 3M off the bat for a late first round pick. Damn, I hope Hill is not in any trade talks.

Spursmania
06-25-2009, 02:05 PM
dumb question, but when does the draft officially start tonight (central time)?

Thanks in advance
6:30 cst pre-draft previews and I think the actual start time is 7:30cst.

bigdog
06-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Hill better not be in any trade talks. If the Spurs want to get into the 1st round, they should trade a pick, and some cash. That SHOULD make up for any extra cash that they don't want to spend on a 1st rounder.

spurtilldeath
06-25-2009, 02:07 PM
7.30 est.

manufan10
06-25-2009, 02:08 PM
I was joking with EricB.

:lol

Ok, my bad. I just saw got 'em and I was confused. :bang

EricB
06-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Hill better not be in any trade talks. If the Spurs want to get into the 1st round, they should trade a pick, and some cash. That SHOULD make up for any extra cash that they don't want to spend on a 1st rounder.

?

I'm confused by this.

bigdog
06-25-2009, 02:11 PM
?

I'm confused by this.

What I meant is that if it's going to cost at least $3 million to get a first-rounder, and if the Spurs don't want to spend that much, they could send less cash, and a pick, instead of paying that full price.

I know, my other post made almost no sense.

timvp
06-25-2009, 02:14 PM
POSTED: June 25 -- 3:03 p.m. ET

Chad Ford: I just updated my mock draft to version 7.1 a few minutes ago. Here are the key changes:

-- Sources say the Bucks are now leaning strongly toward Brandon Jennings at No. 10. So much for that green-room drama he was facing. Over the past 48 hours the Bucks have really fallen in love with Jennings, and it's possible they would take him even if Jonny Flynn were still on the board.

-- I pushed Jrue Holiday to No. 13 at Indiana. The Pacers have been eyeing Ty Lawson, but I doubt Larry Bird can pass on the upside of Holiday. Not only is he one of the most talented players in the draft, he also has great size and defensive ability -- two things the Pacers lack in their backcourt.

-- With Lawson pushed out of Indiana's spot, I have him falling all the way to Atlanta at No. 19. Lawson would get a long look in Philly, but from what I'm hearing they are leaning toward Eric Maynor right now.

-- And with the Knicks buying the Lakers' pick at 29, I have them taking Florida State's Toney Douglas. GM Donnie Walsh is a big fan of Douglas, who is a great shooter and a terrific defender -- sort of a poor man's Ben Gordon. DaJuan Summers and Derrick Brown are other potential targets for the Knicks there.

• There are two theories in play that explain why the Thunder might not be taking Ricky Rubio after all.

The first is the smokescreen theory. It says that the Thunder are very tight-lipped and all of the recent leaks about Rubio are uncharacteristic of a Sam Presti team. They say that the Thunder are leaking Rubio hoping that a team like the Wolves who are hot for him would trade an asset to move up two spots.

The second theory is the Arn Tellem theory. Tellem is the agent for Russell Westbrook and some believe that he's been exerting major pressure on Presti not to take Rubio. Westrbrook wants to be a point guard and would be unhappy if he was moved to the 2.

I'm not sure I buy the second one at all. It is a tough position for Presti to be in, but in the end I think Rubio would make Westbrook a better player. As for the first one, that one does scare me a bit.

• The Minnesota Timberwolves continue to work the phones as we approach the draft. One interesting scenario that's arisen is a Knicks proposal that would send Wilson Chandler and the No. 8 pick to Minnesota for either the No. 5 or No. 6 pick.

Why would the Knicks do it? They believe this is a seven-player draft and they're stuck at 8. If they get to No. 6 they'll have a shot at Jordan Hill, Stephen Curry or Tyreke Evans there.

Why would the Wolves do it? If they can't get their hands on Ricky Rubio, most likely they'll select Jonny Flynn with one of their picks. Since the Warriors aren't seriously considering Flynn, they can move down two spots, get their guy and pick up a very nice asset in Chandler.

• The Grizzlies also are still shopping their pick and one potential trade may persuade them to part with it. A source in Memphis says the Rockets have offered Shane Battier and Aaron Brooks for No. 2. The Grizzlies could send them the dreaded Marko Jaric contract back and save some face in the draft if they did it. Who are the Rockets after? That is the question ...

• The Raptors have been debating all week between DeMar DeRozan and Jrue Holiday. James Johnson has been a dark horse there lately too, but it sounds like DeRozan has the slight edge.

bigdog
06-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Oh wow. If the Rockets pull off that trade with the Grizzles(even though unlikely) that could be huge for them. I would see them taking Thabeet.

D-ROB 50
I would love to trade up to get Casspi, I honestly believe that he could be our next Manu. If we don't, however, with the addition of RJ we filled a big void and if we get pendegraph, a young athletic big i feel we are definatley much improved. With our second second rounder a potential back up pg, maybe sergio llul. The third, a draft & stash of course. Add "The Gist" and a MLE big and the trophy comes home.

EricB
Battier and Brooks for the number 2?!?

Wow...

EricB
06-25-2009, 02:18 PM
eres the problem for Houston.

You trade Brooks, who the hell plays point guard?

urunobili
06-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Rockets trying to get Rubio?

Drom John
06-25-2009, 02:21 PM
At $3M, I'd rather draft #37 and throw money at Tau.

EricB
06-25-2009, 02:22 PM
At $3M, I'd rather draft #37 and throw money at Tau.

Limited up to the 500 grand that a team can offer of course.

Next CBA that number needs to be freaking raised....

EricB
06-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Rockets trying to get Rubio?

Ok cool.

What do you do to replace Battier?

ajballer4
Why would the rockets want to trade Brooks?
The guy is a rising star and was terrfic during their playoff run when Yao went down

timvp
I can't see the Spurs paying $3M for a pick. They already are going to be over the lux tax. Unless Holt won the lottery, the spending can't be limitless.

I'd rather keep the $3M to ensure the Spurs can sign a big in free agency.

bigdog
06-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Ok cool.

If they make that move, then maybe they are, for some idiotic reason, expecting to have McGrady healthy and back to normal, but that would be stupid.

urunobili
06-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Ok cool.

Bruce Bowen? :depressed

coyotes_geek
06-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Rockets would have Lowry and Jaric for PG's if the deal went down. Not great, but serviceable. Given Yao's situation they could use Thabeet.

EricB
If they make that move, then maybe they are, for some idiotic reason, expecting to have McGrady healthy and back to normal, but that would be stupid.

They couldn't be that stupid.

coyotes_geek
Rockets are planning on keeping Artest, so no need for Battier anymore.

EricB
06-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Bruce Bowen? :depressed

They went down that road with Brent Barry and it bit them in the ass in the sense that he produced jack shit.

Bowen however with Houston, would be pretty scary :(

EricB
06-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Rockets are planning on keeping Artest, so no need for Battier anymore.

Ok, who plays shooting guard.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Battier and Brooks? That's a rather low return for a #2 pick.

ajballer4
Mcgrady. For half a season

Kermit
Don't they have T-Mac?

coyotes_geek
06-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Ok, who plays shooting guard.

They'd still have TMac. They've got an MLE too.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 02:29 PM
The Grizz couldn't be that stupid. Oh, wait....

EricB
06-25-2009, 02:30 PM
They'd still have TMac. They've got an MLE too.

So 15 games of TMac hobbling around.

They do, I haven't seen whos available at SG, but nothing that I'd want to give up battier for honestly.

I know I may overrate Battier, but he's one of those vital cogs to the team.

ajballer4
06-25-2009, 02:30 PM
The Grizz couldn't be that stupid. Oh, wait....

:lol

bigdog
06-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Unless Houston has some epic plan for a Battier replacement, there is no way they make that trade, even if it means getting Rubio or Thabeet.

Mugen
hmm looks like the rox are targeting rubio, but trading brooks affects their possible deal for stoudemire?

if the rumors are true the rox might be trying to trade mcgrady/landry for stoudemire/barbosa

Lowry/Rubio
Barbossa
Artest
Stat
Yao

?

Kermit
There's also a Vecsey rumor concerning the Rockets. LeAndro Barbosa and Amare Stoudemire to the Rockets for T-Mac, Aaron Brooks, and Carl Landry.

bigdog
06-25-2009, 02:34 PM
hmm looks like the rox are targeting rubio, but trading brooks affects their possible deal for stoudemire?

if the rumors are true the rox might be trying to trade mcgrady/landry for stoudemire/barbosa

Lowry/Rubio
Barbossa
Artest
Stat
Yao

?

That deal also includes Brooks.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Maybe the Grizz can be convinced that if the Lakers can get $3 million for 29, getting $3 million for a measly 2 is a great deal.

ajballer4
06-25-2009, 02:35 PM

Lowry/Rubio
Barbossa
Artest
Stat
Yao

?

why would the suns do that? Personally i still think they shouls build around amare not nash

Mugen
06-25-2009, 02:36 PM
That deal also includes Brooks.

yeah i know but maybe they could get it done without including brooks and adding somebody else. i think they are intent on cashing in that Mcgrady contract this offseason because of all the success they had without him last season.

Libri
06-25-2009, 02:52 PM
If the Spurs trade into the first round I don't think it will be lower than the 21st.

timvp
06-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Sources: Nets, Magic in serious talks
By Chad Ford

The New Jersey Nets are in serious talks with the Magic about a deal that will send Vince Carter to Orlando for Rafer Alston, Tony Battie and Courtney Lee, two league sources told ESPN.com.

The talks have reached a point that a deal could be done by the end of the day Thursday, according to sources.

The trade would give the Magic even more star power on their quest to win an NBA championship. The addition of Carter to a lineup that already consists of All-Star players Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis and Jameer Nelson would make them the favorites to win the Eastern Conference title next year.

As for the Nets, the move is a cost-cutting measure. Both Alston and Battie are in the last year of their contracts, and trading for them would shave $16.5 million off New Jersey's roster in the summer of 2010 and put the Nets well below the salary cap.

The deal, if completed, would also give the Nets a young, promising shooting guard in Lee.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Not a bad deal for either team there.

Mugen
06-25-2009, 03:06 PM
that nets trade pretty much shows that spurs could have gotten VC instead of RJ. Im glad they got RJ. That trade helps the magic a lot, especially if they resign Turk.

Courtney Lee is a good player too, so nets didnt do too bad.

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Orlando would SERIOUSLY be stacked heavily with that team..they could also let Turkoglu go, and possibly keep Gortat, since they seem to be willing to pay a little extra to keep their guys..

NJ has rejected pretty much every deal for VC due to not getting anything in return, but they would get Lee here, so it's possible that they actually do this trade..

They're also dangling Harris around, and the rumor around here is that he could legitimately be traded by the end of the night..so it all makes sense..

bigdog
06-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Orlando would SERIOUSLY be stacked heavily with that team..

They would only be stacked IF they kept Turkoglu.

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 03:12 PM
They would only be stacked IF they kept Turkoglu.

I don't know about that..

Turkoglu was much more valuable to them this year due to Nelson being out..it made Turk their primary pick and roll guy, and primary ballhandler..with Nelson back in the mix, they won't need him as much..

Vince is easily a much better player than Turkoglu, and he's proven he can make big shots..he would be a #2 to #4 option on Orlando, so I don't think they should even keep Turkoglu..the only thing Turk has over Vince is that he's a better defender, but Orlando didn't really use Turkoglu's defense much this year, since they have Pietrus on the team(Lee would be gone)..

They're better off letting him go, taking VC, and keeping Gortat..

Mugen
06-25-2009, 03:12 PM
VC has a huge contract, i think it might be insurance in case they lose Turk.

this could either hurt or help the spurs' chances of signing gortat depending on the magic being able to resign Turk.

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 03:14 PM
VC has a huge contract, i think it might be insurance in case they lose Turk.

this could either hurt or help the spurs' chances of signing gortat depending on the magic being able to resign Turk.

I'm assuming it hurts our chances at getting Gortat..

keeping Turkoglu doesn't make any sense for them if they acquire Vince..they're getting a better player that can play a similar style as Hedo, and they have to assume Nelson will be healthy next year..

they could just pay Vince, let Turkoglu go, and pay a little tax for Gortat IIRC..

EricB
06-25-2009, 03:15 PM
If they are smart, they would resign Turkoglu.

You roll a starting 5 of Howard
Lewis Turkoglu Carter and Nelson?

Hot damn.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Team scAmway will pay approximately $30 mil in lux tax if that goes down.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Question for all:

What point guard in this draft would you be (as a fan) willing to trade Hill for (Meaning the Spurs trade Hill and get a pick)?

Dr. Gonzo
06-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Question for all:

What point guard in this draft would you be (as a fan) willing to trade Hill for (Meaning the Spurs trade Hill and get a pick)?

Hopefully they won't trade Hill just to draft a PG that Pop won't play.

timvp
06-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Question for all:

I don't love any point guard in this draft other than Rubio and Curry when considering how they'd fit on the Spurs.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't love any point guard in this draft other than Rubio and Curry when considering how they'd fit on the Spurs.

You think Curry could be a legit pg?

Mel_13
06-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Orlando would SERIOUSLY be stacked heavily with that team..they could also let Turkoglu go, and possibly keep Gortat,

That makes sense. The trade as outlined would leave them thin in the frontcourt if they also let Gortat go. He will be cheaper to keep than Hedo and will keep the roster balanced. The buzz over VC will be loud enough to drown out any complaints about letting Hedo walk.

timvp
06-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Nelson
Carter
Turkoglu
Lewis
Howard

Damn that'd be a hell of a starting lineup.

angelbelow
06-25-2009, 03:23 PM
i agree that turk would be expendable, however.. lewis turk carter nelson and howard is pretty intense..

timvp
06-25-2009, 03:23 PM
You think Curry could be a legit pg?For the Spurs needs, yes. Pop likes backup point guards that like to shoot and can spread the floor.

Trimble87
06-25-2009, 03:24 PM

I agree. If we trade Hill for anything I would want it to be Cassipi or Young. That being said If we cant get a 1st round pick for cash or a 10/11 first rounder then it isnt worth it for me.

Any news on a Bonner/Mason trade for a Big and a pick?

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 03:27 PM
For the Spurs needs, yes. Pop likes backup point guards that like to shoot and can spread the floor.

I mean overall. There is no way the Spurs could trade up to get Curry.

urunobili
06-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Nelson
Carter
Turkoglu
Lewis
Howard

almost an All Star starting 5... :depressed

EricB
06-25-2009, 03:29 PM
I mean overall. There is no way the Spurs could trade up to get Curry.

I would highly doubt the Spurs have the chips to get into the top 5 of the lottery.

Mugen
06-25-2009, 03:30 PM
i think curry's ceiling is prob mo williams type numbers.

Bruno
that nets trade pretty much shows that spurs could have gotten VC instead of RJ.

Spurs offer was Oberto + Thomas + Bowen + Mason for Carter + #11.

Magic offer is significantly better.

DPG21920
I know, that is what I said.

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 03:31 PM
That makes sense. The trade as outlined would leave them thin in the frontcourt if they also let Gortat go. He will be cheaper to keep than Hedo and will keep the roster balanced. The buzz over VC will be loud enough to drown out any complaints about letting Hedo walk.

they would be getting Ryan Anderson as well..he isn't great, but he's a good bench big man..

coyotes_geek
06-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Nelson
Carter
Turkoglu
Lewis
Howard

One that would be expensive as hell too. Assuming it's going to take about $10 mil to get Turkoglu back, that's $67 mil wrapped up in just your starting 5.

Mugen
06-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Spurs offer was Oberto + Thomas + Bowen + Mason for Carter + #11.

Magic offer is significantly better.

the spurs asked for the 11th pick?

i was thinking the spurs offered bruce, fabby, and Mason (or Hill) for Vince

which i think would be a lot closer to the Magics offer.

Bruno
06-25-2009, 03:39 PM
the spurs asked for the 11th pick?

i was thinking the spurs offered bruce, fabby, and Mason (or Hill) for Vince

which i think would be a lot closer to the Magics offer.

Yes, they did.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Bruce_Bowen_Kurt_Thomas_and_Fabricio_Oberto_traded .html

According to an Eastern Conference executive, Bowen, Oberto, Thomas and Roger Mason Jr. had been offered to the Nets in exchange for Carter and the Nets’ first-round pick in Thursday’s draft. The Spurs balked when the Nets asked for additional considerations, then turned their focus to Jefferson.

Nets get a good return for VC with expirings and a very good prospect in Courtney Lee.
I find that Thorn did a great job at trading Kidd, Jefferson and Carter.

Bruno
06-25-2009, 03:43 PM
I would be quite surprised to see Spurs picking a big with #37.

Spurs need bigmen but I doubt they will carry more than 2 rookies PF/C. They still have one with Mahinmi and there is a good chance that another come from Europe (likely Gist).

Mugen
06-25-2009, 03:45 PM

Spurs need bigmen but I doubt they will carry more than 2 rookies PF/C. They still have one with Mahinmi and there is a good chance that another come from Europe (likely Gist).

i agree, this draft is weak for big men. i think they most likely get a PG.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 03:45 PM

That is why I think the Spurs will be taking a point guard and a wing.

vander
06-25-2009, 03:46 PM
IMO over the next few years, RJ will be better than VC, considering age and attitude and salary and whatnot.

Mel_13
06-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Boston Globe calls the Carter trade official

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2009/06/carter_to_magic.html?s_campaign=8315

vander
06-25-2009, 03:50 PM

you can never have too many big man prospects IMO, being that so many of them never amount to anything.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Boston Globe calls the Carter trade official

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2009/06/carter_to_magic.html?s_campaign=8315

Motherfucker.

Dr. Gonzo
06-25-2009, 03:55 PM
The Magic will be good.

Bruno
06-25-2009, 03:56 PM
bold prediction: If Ellington is available at #37, Spurs will pick him.

completely deck
06-25-2009, 03:58 PM
It's going to be interesting to see that lineup together next year (if they can stay healthy)

timvp
06-25-2009, 03:59 PM
bold prediction: If Ellington is available at #37, Spurs will pick him.

I'd be happy with that. Athletic, good shooter and could grow into being a good defender. He'd make Mason even more tradeable and would be good insurance if Mason leaves in free agency.

EricB
06-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Magic get Carter AND Ryan Anderson!?!?

Mel_13
06-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Chad Ford now says:

The New Jersey Nets have agreed to a trade in principle with the Magic that will send Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson to Orlando for Rafer Alston, Tony Battie and Courtney Lee, two league sources told ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4287197

timvp
06-25-2009, 04:16 PM
The 2010 NBA playoffs are shaping up to be a bloodbath.

objective
06-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Nelson
Carter
Turkoglu
Lewis
Howard

yep, pretty much head and shoulders above a Parker-Ginobili-Jefferson-Duncan-Bonner/Rasheed/Dice/Gortat/Zaza/Gooden lineup. By a clear margin. And with Pietrus off the bench.

Mugen
06-25-2009, 04:18 PM
yep, pretty much head and shoulders above a Parker-Ginobili-Jefferson-Duncan-Bonner/Rasheed/Dice/Gortat/Zaza/Gooden lineup. By a clear margin. And with Pietrus off the bench.

meh

id take a

Parker
Manu
RJ
TD
Sheed

lineup over that, especially in the 4th.

but thats a damn scary Magic lineup with a lot of firepower.

EricB
Chad Ford now says:

The New Jersey Nets have agreed to a trade in principle with the Magic that will send Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson to Orlando for Rafer Alston, Tony Battie and Courtney Lee, two league sources told ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4287197

God the Magic just butt raped the Nets...

DPG21920
RJ looks like a** if the Spurs do not add very quality big men.

EricB
06-25-2009, 04:19 PM

Head and shoulders?
Uh
not quite.

Bruno
I will say something that was unimaginable to say few years ago:
Spurs are lucky to be in the western conference.

DPG21920
Are they going to resign Hedo? If not, is Hedo for 10M while keeping Lee not better than VC for 16M with an extra year on his contract?

timvp
06-25-2009, 04:21 PM

Eh, I wouldn't wave the white flag just yet. That's a lot of ego. If Howard didn't think he got the ball enough as it was, adding Carter to the equation doesn't solve that.

Plus a healthy Parker and Ginobili are both better than than the second and third player on the Magic. If Duncan can battle Howard to a draw, the Spurs next three should be able to more than hold their own.

vander
06-25-2009, 04:21 PM
no way they keep turkoglu now anymore right?

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 04:22 PM
It's a buyer's market. Peter needs to open up the safe at Holt CAT HQ and take out the gold bars.

EricB
06-25-2009, 04:22 PM
It's a buyer's market. Peter needs to open up the safe at Holt CAT HQ and take out the gold bars.

Before or after he has to lay off another 1500 workers.

objective
06-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Eh, I wouldn't wave the white flag just yet. That's a lot of ego. If Howard didn't think he got the ball enough as it was, adding Carter to the equation doesn't solve that.

Plus a healthy Parker and Ginobili are both better than than the second and third player on the Magic. If Duncan can battle Howard to a draw, the Spurs next three should be able to more than hold their own.

I'm not waving a white flag, but on paper, I like that lineup significantly more. They made the finals with Lee and a disposable Alston and add Carter. Spurs got rolled in the first and add Jefferson and bring back Ginobili, if he doesn't fall apart again. And still don't have a legit starting big next to Duncan with no guarantee to get one.

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 04:25 PM
I agree that adding RJ is useless if we don't get a big man, and it looks like the front office agrees with that..there's no way they wouldn't agree..the Spurs off-season is FAAAAR from done..

I wonder where Hedo is going now..Portland?..

BTW, Carter or not, Orlando isn't winning a title unless Howard improves his offense..

vander
06-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Are they going to resign Hedo? If not, is Hedo for 10M while keeping Lee not better than VC for 16M with an extra year on his contract?

I would agree, however supposedly that Ryan Anderson kid has some serious potential. NJ is a huge loser in this deal, worse than Milwaukee

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 04:29 PM
This is a lot to take in. Things are moving so fast. Like I said, the RJ move means nothing right now and this was before the Cavs got Shaq and the Magic got VC. If the Lakers resign Odom and Ariza, the Spurs will have to sign or trade for another significant piece (big) in order to have any realistic chance of competing.

Oh ya, they have to hope Manu and Tim stay healthy.

Mel_13
06-25-2009, 04:34 PM

Hedo for 10M + Lee+ Alston+ Battie = 22.7M

Gortat for 5.8M + VC+ Anderson = 23.5M

spurtilldeath
06-25-2009, 04:36 PM
It isn't even July 1st yet and things are getting real interesting this offseason. The playoff's are going to be a bloodbath, atleast in the eastern conference. I can't believe this is happening...east getting better than west? at least at the top...

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Hedo for 10M + Lee+ Alston+ Battie = 22.7M

Gortat for 5.8M + VC+ Anderson = 23.5M

Ya, but what about next year? Battie and Alston were expiring.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Which fits better and has less risk?

Hedo+Lee+Alston+Battie

VC+Anderson+Gortat

Hedo and Lee got to the finals with the Magic and know the system. Is the upgrade that you get with the VC side enough to justify giving up the expirings?

Unless you think AC is a good enough second pg, the Magic still need one along with signing Gortat.

Trimble87
06-25-2009, 04:40 PM
I dont see how the VC trade effects the Spurs or the RJ trade at all. If we get to the finals we can worry about the Magic or whoever we face then. I have never been a fan of VC, he was always a ball hog and a bad team mate. Add to that the fatc that he is on the down side of his career I would much rather have Jefferson then Carter.

Considering how huge VC's contract is I would imagine the Magic are done with Trukoglu... and I would definitely take Turkoglu over VC.

If they can manage to keep Turk with VC at SG then that is a lot of firepower to be sure. But the Magic never lacked for offense, carter is not a good defender and seems to sleep walk on that side of the floor.

To me the biggest concern for the Magic in the playoffs was lack of mental strength and low basketball iq. I cant count how many times in close 2-8 pt games they would run down the floor and fire up contested 3's instead of running a set play or spotting up Howard in the post. VC does not help them in that department at all either.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Not to mention I think Battie is better than Ryan Anderson at this point.

objective
06-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Vince Carter would have finished that alley-oop, no doubt in my mind.

kace
06-25-2009, 04:44 PM

pretty much the same bs that people saying we are way behind LA with the new big 4 healthy and another legit big.

TP >> Nelson
manu = Carter
RJ = Hedo
Sheed = Lewis
TD = Howard and for the last four, you could even say spurs have every time a slight advantage.

How does that would lead to Magic starting 5 >>> Spurs one as you say ???

and Hill has the upside to equal Pietrus off the bench.

Mel_13
06-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Ya, but what about next year? Battie and Alston were expiring.

With the deals for Lewis, Howard, Nelson, and Pietrus already on the books, Orlando doesn't seem to concerned about cap space. With this trade they have pushed another pile of chips into the pot. It will be interesting to see which player, Hedo or Gortat, is their highest priority to resign.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 04:49 PM
With the deals for Lewis, Howard, Nelson, and Pietrus already on the books, Orlando doesn't seem to concerned about cap space. With this trade they have pushed another pile of chips into the pot. It will be interesting to see which player, Hedo or Gortat, is their highest priority to resign.

Maybe, I just do not think VC+Ryan is a big enough upgrade over Hedo+Lee+Alston in order to justify handcuffing yourself to a certain degree.

Only time will tell and it certainly was not a bad move, but I just do not know if it was the right move. If they break the bank and resign Hedo, then I think it is awesome. If not, well, I have said my part...

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 04:50 PM
pretty much the same bs that people saying we are way behind LA with the new big 4 healthy and another legit big.

TP >> Nelson
manu = Carter
RJ = Hedo
Sheed = Lewis
TD = Howard and for the last four, you could even say spurs have every time a slight advantage.

and Hill has the upside to equal Pietrus off the bench.

One problem, the Spurs do not have Wallace.

Then again, the Magic do not have Hedo.

objective

TP >> Nelson
manu = Carter
RJ = Hedo
Sheed = Lewis

What BS with LA? LA was a much better team than the Spurs this year.

Sheed isn't close to Lewis. Anyone who watched him play this year could see he was just about done. Better than anything the Spurs had, but still done. He vomits up threes and clanks way to many of them and has lost what mobility he had on defense, he's strictly a post defender now.

I'd take Hedo over RJ any day of the week. Hedo can affect games when he's not scoring with his playmaking and rebounding, RJ can't.

Again, I'm not saying the Spurs are doomed if they play them in the finals. If they even get that far.

I am saying that's a damn impressive lineup and on paper I think is better than any foursome the Spurs put out with any big they are thought to be after, unless Ian comes through.

OF COURSE, that's only IF the Magic bring back Turkoglu.

timvp
Michael Jackson Dies

Posted Jun 25th 2009 5:20PM by TMZ Staff

Michael JacksonWe've just learned Michael Jackson has died. He was 50.

Michael suffered a cardiac arrest earlier this afternoon and paramedics were unable to revive him. We're told when paramedics arrived Jackson had no pulse and they never got a pulse back.

Michael is survived by three children: Michael Joseph Jackson, Jr., Paris Michael Katherine Jackson and Prince "Blanket" Michael Jackson II.

Jackson had 13 number one hits during his solo career

Busy draft day :wow

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Wtf

timvp
06-25-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm not waving a white flag, but on paper, I like that lineup significantly more. They made the finals with Lee and a disposable Alston and add Carter. Spurs got rolled in the first and add Jefferson and bring back Ginobili, if he doesn't fall apart again. And still don't have a legit starting big next to Duncan with no guarantee to get one.

Who is the legit starting big next to Howard? If the Magic and Spurs meet, expect a whole bunch of small ball.

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Wow, dead?..damn..

vander
06-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Which fits better and has less risk?

Hedo+Lee+Alston+Battie

VC+Anderson+Gortat

Hedo and Lee got to the finals with the Magic and know the system. Is the upgrade that you get with the VC side enough to justify giving up the expirings?

Unless you think AC is a good enough second pg, the Magic still need one along with signing Gortat.

going forward, Alston and Battie are nobodies IMO, they cut some dead weight there, Anderson will be better than Battie, probably even better than Gortat, and VC will be a little better than Hedu.

so they saved themselves some money next year, while keeping about the same amount of talent, but spread out among fewer players, which is a good thing IMO. if they spend their MLE wisely, I think they are better off then if they would have just kept the same team intact. and that's saying something since they were a few plays from going up 3-1 on the Lakers basically without Nelson and with Howard still far from as good as he can be.

Mel_13
06-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Maybe, I just do not think VC+Ryan is a big enough upgrade over Hedo+Lee+Alston in order to justify handcuffing yourself to a certain degree.

Only time will tell and it certainly was not a bad move, but I just do not know if it was the right move. If they break the bank and resign Hedo, then I think it is awesome. If not, well, I have said my part...

I agree with you. I just spelled out the two choices to more clearly see what their choices were for 23M next year. I didn't pick one.

I do believe that Orlando better win a title in the next two years or Otis Smith is going to choke on all those massive contracts and lose his job.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 04:55 PM
I am thrilled to be an NBA fan right now. Lets hope the fireworks continue into the draft. Does anyone have a feeling the Spurs will make a significant trade during the draft?

EricB
06-25-2009, 04:56 PM
I am thrilled to be an NBA fan right now. Lets hope the fireworks continue into the draft. Does anyone have a feeling the Spurs will make a significant trade during the draft?

Agreed, the NBA being the top headlines in a good way is awesome.

IMO, I don't think they will get a deal done. Not for lack of trying, but just for not having pieces and or not wanting to shell out 3 million like the retarded Knicks.

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Well Orlando already SEVERELY overpaid for Lewis, and they just made the Finals, so I'm pretty sure it's becoming Finals or bust at this point..

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Dude what the hell :(.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Michael Jackson the GOAT. Rip.

EricB
06-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Michael Jackson the GOAT. Rip.

Not the GOAT.

But an amazing entertainer.

Mel_13
06-25-2009, 05:07 PM
5:45 Update

Plenty of Uncertainty at the Top Still

With just hours to go before the NBA draft officially kicks off, there is still plenty of uncertainty regarding who is going where exactly. Oklahoma City is heavily involved in trade talks for the #3 team, but appears to be asking for too much for the rights to Ricky Rubio.

Minnesota appeared to be playing it cool in regards to Rubio early on, but has emerged as a major suitor for his services this evening, which will make things very interesting leading up to the #3 pick. OKC seems to be asking for Al Jefferson right now…will they settle on Kevin Love?

Right now it appears that Oklahoma City is leaning towards picking Rubio and keeping him as a trading chip to potentially use this summer. A few sources we spoke with mentioned that they still expect Rubio to end up in New York when it’s all said and done.

Oklahoma City is also active in trade talk with Phoenix, with their main target appearing to be Robin Lopez. They are reportedly offering Phoenix their 2010 unprotected pick back in return for Lopez, but that seems like a very high price for the Suns to pay.

Sacramento seems to be leaning towards Tyreke Evans from what we’re hearing, and may have even told him as much.

If Minnesota keeps the pick, it looks very likely that they will take Jonny Flynn with one of those picks, with the other pick likely being used on James Harden. Some people think that DeMar DeRozan could be a target, but that seems far-fetched.

That would leave Golden State with an interesting dilemma at 7—take Jordan Hill or Stephen Curry? It seems like they would lean towards Hill, although this is a tough one to call.

At #8, we might see the unfathomable happen—Stephen Curry available to the Knicks? That would really make for an unforgettable moment in the Garden. Gerald Henderson also appears to be a target here.

At #9, it appears that Toronto will take DeMar DeRozan, if he’s on the board.

That would leave Milwaukee with an interesting choice between Jrue Holiday and Brandon Jennings. All indications are that Holiday has been “their guy” for weeks now since Flynn went out of their range, but Jennings has really come on strong in the last 24 hours, so we may have to wait and see.

At 11, we’re hearing Terrence Williams, and at 12, Gerald Henderson.

We’ll see how things play out…

SPURSGOAT
06-25-2009, 05:10 PM
dang! only about an hour to go til the draft! :flag::blah:blah

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 05:11 PM
If the Lakers resign Odom and Ariza along with the Cavs getting Shaq and the Magic getting VC, what type of player(s) (caliber wise) do the Spurs need to get in order to have a legit shot at winning a title?

EricB
06-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Mcdeyss and or Wallace.

Mugen
06-25-2009, 05:13 PM
If the Lakers resign Odom and Ariza along with the Cavs getting Shaq and the Magic getting VC, what type of player(s) (caliber wise) do the Spurs need to get in order to have a legit shot at winning a title?

Sheed.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Minnesota appeared to be playing it cool in regards to Rubio early on, but has emerged as a major suitor for his services this evening, which will make things very interesting leading up to the #3 pick. OKC seems to be asking for Al Jefferson right now…will they settle on Kevin Love?

Ya right, Al for Rubio?

SPURSGOAT
06-25-2009, 05:20 PM

I am watching the coverage live on CNN right now... they are not saying he is dead; just critical condition at the moment...but doesn't look good... :depressed

timvp
06-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Calathes to Dallas?

We’re receiving some indications that the Dallas Mavericks are still in hot pursuit of Greek-bound Nick Calathes with the #24 pick. Owner Mark Cuban and head coach Rick Carlisle are both fans of the big point guard, and appear to be willing to wait a year until signing him. There is a school of thought that Calathes may be able to get out of his contract with Panathinaikos and play for the Mavs this year already, possibly with a buyout, but we’re not sure of how accurate that is.

This pick makes sense considering what Cuban said the other day about being able to “get the guy we like even at 24” after moving down two spots in the Portland trade. Sacramento likes Calathes at 23, but appears to be leaning in other directions, although that could change.

Other options for Dallas include Jeff Teague, Tyler Hansbrough and Toney Douglas.

Atlanta-Golden State Trade Official

We received word this afternoon that the Jamal Crawford for Acie Law and Speedy Claxton trade was officially consummated after a trade call with the league was made.

ajballer4
06-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Wonder how well my a&m boy Acie will do in GS. I think thats bad system for him

objective
06-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Who is the legit starting big next to Howard? If the Magic and Spurs meet, expect a whole bunch of small ball.

well, they started Lewis as the defacto 2nd big against playoff teams with 2 bigs. Lewis isn't a a banger but he has better PF credentials than Bonner. And much better offensively and a non-choker.

I don't know who the Spurs could go small with. Mason? No thanks. Hill? Maybe, but Hill is better than Redick or Anthony Johnson. Bonner is worthless. Gist is an unknown quantity. Finley would be a disaster.

Tully365
06-25-2009, 05:37 PM
This is shaping up to be a creepy, interesting and memorable day: Farah Fawcett and Michael Jackson passed away, multiple blockbuster NBA trades.... and the draft hasn't even happened yet.

objective
06-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Back to the draft :

I wouldn't worry so much about De Colo's athleticism as I would his incredibly reckless play. In the game footage I watched, he repeatedly made needless, showy passes for no reason with a high fail risk. Instant ulcer for Pop.

timvp
06-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Andy Katz: Brandon Jennings will not be coming to the draft.

According to a statement from agent Bill Duffy: "Because we do not have a strong grasp of Brandon's draft position, I've advised that he and his family enjoy this day in a more private setting with the people he loves the most. Brandon Jennings will have a very illustrious career in the NBA, and at the end of the day, that is all that is important."

bigdog
06-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Interesting. I wonder how far he will slip?

EricB
06-25-2009, 05:48 PM
This is shaping up to be a creepy, interesting and memorable day: Farah Fawcett and Michael Jackson passed away, multiple blockbuster NBA trades.... and the draft hasn't even happened yet.

Yeah one of those close to almost "Where were you when ____, happened"

bigdog
06-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Despite this being a sad day, I'm still looking forward to the draft.

objective
06-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Some contending teams that made moves : SA, CLE, ORL

Does Boston do something? Houston? Denver? Dallas?

ajballer4
06-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Tough break for Jennings. His international play hurt him more than it helped him

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Does anyone think Mills could survive Pop and get some minutes?

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Some contending teams that made moves : SA, CLE, ORL

Does Boston do something? Houston? Denver? Dallas?

Spurs did not make a contending move imo. Cleavland getting Shaq makes them a contender instantly, same with VC in Orlando.

RJ does not make the Spurs a contender unless other solid moves follow.

Spurs Brazil
06-25-2009, 05:55 PM
I think Magic will not re-sign Hedo now

Mel_13
06-25-2009, 05:57 PM
6:45

We're hearing that Sacramento and Portland are closing in on a deal that would send Sergio Rodriguez and the #38 pick to Sacramento for #31.

Mugen
Spurs did not make a contending move imo. Cleavland getting Shaq makes them a contender instantly, same with VC in Orlando.

i agree that other moves need to follow. But RJ no doubt makes us a legit contender.

Bruno
Back to the draft :

I wouldn't worry so much about De Colo's athleticism as I would his incredibly reckless play. In the game footage I watched, he repeatedly made needless, showy passes for no reason with a high fail risk. Instant ulcer for Pop.

In the highlights, when he is playing with a blue jersey, it's an all star game, not a real game.
But it's true that he is doing some crazy passes in the Manu mold.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 05:58 PM
It put them in a better position to be a contender, but did not put them ahead of or equal to the Lakers.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 05:59 PM
In the highlights, when he is playing with a blue jersey, it's an all star game, not a real game.

I would rather have a guy you have to reel back than a guy in which you cannot teach creativity.

Bruno
#31 is for Claver.

objective

I use the word 'contending' as teams whose goals begin and end with a title and nothing less, and that the media and conventional wisdom would view as contenders.

Mugen
06-25-2009, 06:00 PM
RJ to the Spurs >>> Shaq to the Cavs.

so if sheed goes to the spurs then are you willing to say that Spurs=Lakers? Given that both teams stay healthy?

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Not bad Mel_13 for Sactown. Still can get the same range of talent with the 38 and you get SR who would be nice at the 31 anyways.

bigdog
06-25-2009, 06:01 PM
It sure seems like Portland is making every possible move to get ahead of the Spurs and take whoever the Spurs want.

Scola
Draft coverage is beginning on ESPN :)

objective

I'm not talking about the youtube clips. The Cholet playoff/cup game you linked to about 6 weeks ago or so is what I'm referring to. In the first few minutes I was wondering "What the F is he doing trying to make that pass?" more than once if my memory is correct.

bigdog
06-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Here we go.

Here's to a good Spurs draft :)

loveforthegame
06-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Good deal for the Kings. I like what they're building there.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 06:03 PM
I use the word 'contending' as teams whose goals begin and end with a title and nothing less, and that the media and conventional wisdom would view as contenders.

Maybe, but that does not make it true. In order to contend, you have to realistically be able to beat the top 4 teams. Even with Jefferson, which was a fantastic trade in isolation, the Spurs cannot beat the Lakers and Boston,Cavs,Magic would be extremely tough.

Not to mention the Spurs still have a lot of health questions to answer.

RJ to the Spurs >>> Shaq to the Cavs.

so if sheed goes to the spurs then are you willing to say that Spurs=Lakers? Given that both teams stay healthy?

Yes, if the Spurs get Sheed, then the Jefferson trade will be magnified and that would be the other move I spoke about that would make the Spurs legit contenders.

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Mark Jackson will mention Kobe at least 1592 times during this draft broadcast, even though he isn't involved at all..

Spursmania
06-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Let the draft preview begin!

DPG21920
#31 is for Claver.

So you think Casspi at 22 and Claver at 31?

timtonymanu
Stuart Scott will talk about Shaq and the Cavs 123757 times tonight. And he's doing it already.

loveforthegame
06-25-2009, 06:05 PM

Sounds right. Portland strikes again.

bigdog
They already forgot about the Jefferson. All they're going to talk about is Shaq, VC, and Amare's possible deal.

coyotes_geek
I hope they talk about Lebron and Shaq. It's been tough getting some coverage on that.

Bruno
06-25-2009, 06:06 PM

I'm not sure it will be Casspi at #22.

ajballer4
Mark Jackson will mention Kobe at least 1592 times during this draft broadcast, even though he isn't involved at all..
:lol:lol:lol

objective

the Blazers are determined to draft any small forward the Spurs could possibly like. They'll pull a trade to get Jerebko too if they have to. :lol

Mel_13
Not bad Mel_13 for Sactown. Still can get the same range of talent with the 38 and you get SR who would be nice at the 31 anyways.

Yeah, Sac needs a PG one year after spending 33M on Beno:lol

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure it will be Casspi at #22.

Any ideas? They could use another sg/pg. Maybe using it to trade up?

timtonymanu
06-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Shaq. LeBron. Shaq. LeBron. Cavs.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Yeah, Sac needs a PG one year after spending 33M on Beno:lol

That does suck, but does not change what they have to do. No sense in being stubborn :lol

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 06:10 PM
ESPN's coverage is ridiculously horrible..

HarlemHeat37
Sacramento has to be the most irrelevant team in the NBA right now..maybe in NBA history(LOL exaggeration obviously)..I don't see a present, and I don't see a future..

timtonymanu
ESPN's coverage is ridiculously horrible..

i agree. I'm muting the Shaq trade talk.

Marcus Bryant
My God. Shoot Jay Bilas before he speaks.

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 06:11 PM
I forget how bad ESPN is..I really only watch when it's big events like these..

you really have to limit your ESPN watching, it could shorten your life..

bigdog
I would rather listen to Vitale than half of these idiots that are talking right now.

ajballer4
Van Gundy and Jackson talk too much about irrelevant things

Bruno
06-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Any ideas? They could use another sg/pg. Maybe using it to trade up?

DX has them taking Hansbrough. Blazers need a backup PF.

urunobili
06-25-2009, 06:12 PM
I think Magic will not re-sign Hedo now

JVG has just confirmed this....

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Like I said in the other thread..it's very possible that Turkoglu gave them a price, and they weren't ready to give him the $..Vince could have just been a replacement..while he makes more $, he's really a much better player..

the Lewis contract hurts them for the future anyways, and they'll have to deal with that until it's almost over..they just made the finals, they want to keep Dwight happy..they might as well try to win now..

benefactor
06-25-2009, 06:14 PM
lol Clippers draft room

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 06:15 PM
WTF is up with Taylor Griffin's hair?..

benefactor
Blake's brother needs to go ahead and embrace the bald head look.

Marcus Bryant
lol griffin and his caveman brother

benefactor
WTF is up with Taylor Griffin's hair?..
Epic receding hairline.

loveforthegame
06-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Dx

7:15

it looks like we need to move harden into that 3 slot. That's the word here in the green room at least. It's really interesting to look around the tables and see who knows where they are going and who doesn't.

Regarding the amare trade that is being reported, it seems like the warriors are balking at including the #7 pick. I guess we'll see what happens when that pick comes up. The suns would sure like to get curry if he's available.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 06:21 PM
DX has them taking Hansbrough. Blazers need a backup PF.

True, they do need that.

benefactor
06-25-2009, 06:24 PM
lol Frodo

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Curry looks like a G.

ajballer4
06-25-2009, 06:25 PM
lol Frodo

Exactly what he looks like

Libri
06-25-2009, 06:25 PM
another Ricky Rubio/Pistol Pete comparison :rolleyes

SPURSGOAT
06-25-2009, 06:26 PM
less than 5 minutes! WOOT!!!:downspin::downspin::blah:ihit

TimDunkem
06-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Dick Vitale on Rubio eh? I'm gonna change the channel now.

benefactor
06-25-2009, 06:28 PM
I swear...listening to Vitale is like being hit in the face with a 2x4.

ajballer4
06-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Vitale picked us for Finals!

HarlemHeat37
The sadness in Stuart Scott's voice after Vitale said the Spurs would be in the Finals was pretty funny..

bigdog
I swear...listening to Vitale is like being hit in the face with a 2x4.

His voice is annoying, but you'd rather listen to Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy talk about Shaq and LeBron the rest of the night?

timvp
06-25-2009, 06:30 PM
:lol That Ewing commercial is classic.

TimDunkem
06-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Vitale picked us for Finals!

He said the Lebronaliers would win.