PDA

View Full Version : Mason Wants Out?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Spurs working to help accommodate Roger Mason with a trade, agent Mark Bartelstein tells Y! Minutes down, wants to play. Spurs cool with it.

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

slick'81
02-15-2010, 08:16 PM
poof be gone

objective
02-15-2010, 08:17 PM
beat me to it

Might as well let him go.

No more Mason will help free up time at PF for Ian.

ElNono
sounds like it... can't blame him...

ElNono
You would ask for a trade too if they would put you behind the rotten corpse of Finley in the rotation...

crc21209
02-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Do it now then if he wants out. Do some sort of combo of Mason, Bonner, Finley, etc. for Tyrus Thomas and Salmons or Camby/Telfair...

Sausage
02-15-2010, 08:19 PM
I think the Spurs are making a mistake by not playing him. I honestly hope they don't trade him, and play him more. He's a lot better than Bogans so he should've started instead of him.

slick'81
02-15-2010, 08:19 PM
mason wont resign neway when he was buried in the rotation after last seasons playoff disaster spurs might as well c what they can get

duncan228
02-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Mason wants trade from Spurs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-masonspurs021510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

The San Antonio Spurs’ front office is working with Roger Mason’s agent to trade the veteran guard to a team where he can have a significant role.

“Roger had a terrific season last year after the Spurs had a bunch of injuries, and now that everyone is back healthy and his minutes are limited, the Spurs are trying to do the right thing and find a good spot for him,” Mason’s agent, Mark Bartelstein, told Yahoo! Sports on Monday.

Mason, 29, is averaging 19 minutes and 7.4 points per game. He averaged 30 minutes and nearly 12 points a game a season ago. Mason is in the final season of a two-year deal with Spurs.

One league executive says there’s “significant” interest from other teams in dealing for Mason.

TIMMYD!
02-15-2010, 08:20 PM
I opposed trading him most of the season, but if Pop isn't going to play him, then what's the point of having him rotting on the bench instead of trading him?

objective
02-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Okay, so if Mason's agent wants the Spurs to move him . . .

Does that imply that they weren't looking to move him beforehand as an expiring deal leading to the agent making the request (which would mean they weren't looking to make a deal at all) . . .

Or it just that the request so happens to coincide with the Spurs plans? A case of "Please trade my client." met by a response of "Way ahead of you."

benefactor
02-15-2010, 08:22 PM
The Bulls trade for Thomas/Salmons once again makes perfect sense.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Mason + Vaughn for Stoudemire.
Come on RC.

Juanobili
:( damn, I like Roger

the PG experiment should've never happened. Just fucked everything up.

thanks for playing in my favorite Christmas game, Roger <3

Sisk
Hopefully we can get something good in return. I'm sure his trade value is pretty high for his current salary

exstatic
02-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Owner's committee member: Peter Holt
Player's committee members: Mason, Ratliff

Buh-BYE.

Shastafarian
Interesting considering this from two days ago:

Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. hasn't heard any specific trade rumors, but told reporters Thursday that he wants to stay right where he is.

"I want to be in San Antonio for my career," Mason said. "I want to win a championship here. That would be the ultimate."

Mason knows that the NBA is a business, but San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich has hinted that the team will stand pat past Thursday's trade deadline.

He has an expiring contract worth $3.78 million, an attractive chip to a trade partner looking to cut payroll.

"If something happens, it happens," Mason said. "You can't really worry about it or control it. I can only control what I can, and that's to help this team win."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64663/20100213/mason_wants_to_remain_in_san_antonio/

objective
I'd like to see this story tweeted :

Agent: Mahinmi wants in

Josepatches_
02-15-2010, 08:24 PM
It's funny how people can make a trade with Fin,Mason,Bonner..... .If we don't want them how we are going to find a team to get good players for them.

crc21209
02-15-2010, 08:24 PM
The Bulls trade for Thomas/Salmons once again makes perfect sense.

Yup, that's what I said. Some sort of Mason, Bonner, Finley, cash, picks, whatever package for Thomas/Salmons...

dbestpro
02-15-2010, 08:25 PM
probably will go in some kind of combo trade to Wash for Oberto.

benefactor
02-15-2010, 08:25 PM
He's pretty much proven he is nothing more than a gunner. I don't see him getting significant minutes on any playoff team.

loveforthegame
02-15-2010, 08:26 PM
So much for being about team. Good riddance.

objective
maybe the wizards would like him back in a package for Jamison?

tim_duncan_fan
Fuck.

He should be playing big minutes for us but instead we'll trade him in return for less than he is worth.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bang

BadOne
I too wish that Pop started him over Bogans, however after this crap:

Mason Wants To Remain In San Antonio (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64663/20100213/mason_wants_to_remain_in_san_antonio/)

Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. hasn't heard any specific trade rumors, but told reporters Thursday that he wants to stay right where he is.

"I want to be in San Antonio for my career," Mason said. "I want to win a championship here. That would be the ultimate."
Mason knows that the NBA is a business, but San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich has hinted that the team will stand pat past Thursday's trade deadline.
He has an expiring contract worth $3.78 million, an attractive chip to a trade partner looking to cut payroll.
"If something happens, it happens," Mason said. "You can't really worry about it or control it. I can only control what I can, and that's to help this team win."

TO THIS:

Mason wants trade from Spurs

The San Antonio Spurs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/sas/;_ylt=AqaVJQr.6zRymUPpSueFK40QmNIF)’ front office is working with Roger Mason’s (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3628/;_ylt=AhaHFPmxrAPSJ0Thd5iwhi8QmNIF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3628/news;_ylt=Au2u5R9N9qdUsPlEzVc44qIQmNIF) agent to trade the veteran guard to a team where he can have a significant role.
“Roger had a terrific season last year after the Spurs had a bunch of injuries, and now that everyone is back healthy and his minutes are limited, the Spurs are trying to do the right thing and find a good spot for him,” Mason’s agent, Mark Bartelstein, told Yahoo! Sports on Monday.

Mason, 29, is averaging 19 minutes and 7.4 points per game. He averaged 30 minutes and nearly 12 points a game a season ago. Mason is in the final season of a two-year deal with Spurs.
One league executive says there’s “significant” interest from other teams in dealing for Mason.

I say good ridance. I think Bogans should be shipped off too. Heck maybe they should ship them both to New Jersey for Courtney Lee.

Peace wit yo Montell Jordan lookin azz!

-BADONE

Ice009
Didn't Roger Mason Jr. say less than a week ago he loves it in San Antonio and wants to play the rest of his career here?

Did anyone read that. I wonder why he has done a 180. Maybe he heard too much trade rumors and said fuck the Spurs.

TIMMYD!
Watch this thread get 10+ pages by tonight.

crc21209
02-15-2010, 08:27 PM
maybe the wizards would like him back in a package for Jamison?

If only they could pull that off....

benefactor
02-15-2010, 08:27 PM

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64663/20100213/mason_wants_to_remain_in_san_antonio/
I don't know why he ever said it. Right after he signed with the Spurs he came out and said that he structured his contract with 2010 in mind. I don't think he ever intended on staying.

dbestpro
02-15-2010, 08:28 PM
First sign of a team melt down and player rebellion to Pop.

ElNono
02-15-2010, 08:28 PM
It's probably his agent telling Roger that he needs to show himself if he's looking for a good contract next season. Not gonna happen as a Spur, so might aswell go somewhere else.

Makes sense.

benefactor
02-15-2010, 08:29 PM
First sign of a team melt down and player rebellion to Pop.
:lol

dbestpro
02-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Watch this thread get 10+ pages by tonight.

Of which you can say you are a proud contributor.

benefactor
02-15-2010, 08:30 PM
I don't know why he ever said it. Right after he signed with the Spurs he came out and said that he structured his contract with 2010 in mind. I don't think he ever intended on staying.

It's probably his agent telling Roger that he needs to show himself if he's looking for a good contract next season. Not gonna happen as a Spur, so might aswell go somewhere else.

Makes sense.
:tu

MaNu4Tres
02-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Well his trade value just went down. Thanks Bartelstein.

Shastafarian
02-15-2010, 08:31 PM

Not necessarily. He's not playing as it is now so it's not like other teams have much leverage even after this.

TIMMYD!
02-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Of which you can say you are a proud contributor.

Another drop in the bucket. :lol

ace3g
02-15-2010, 08:33 PM
better chance now of maybe getting a TT/Salmons trade done, hopefully they are working on it

Wombatzu
02-15-2010, 08:34 PM
wow, i can't remember the last time a player or his agent said in public that they wanted off the Spurs...

Rodman, maybe?

TD 21
02-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Mason wants trade from Spurs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-masonspurs021510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

The San Antonio Spurs’ front office is working with Roger Mason’s agent to trade the veteran guard to a team where he can have a significant role.

This guy is genuinely a good guy, you can just tell. I believe him when he said he wanted to remain with the Spurs for the remainder of his career, but here's the part he left out: so long as he's playing a role in that. A role more significant than fringe rotation player, that is.

I don't blame him a bit. Inexplicably, his role went from solid starter to 10th-11th man. He didn't even get a chance to keep his starting job, it was snatched away from him the moment training camp commenced. And for who? Finley, who's only in the league based on reputation at this point more than anything. That was followed by Bogans being handed a starting spot, on the basis of his being a "tough defender". He may be a tough defender, but that doesn't make him a stopper. He unequivocally proved that this season.

You don't think the team has been annoyed by the treatment Mason has received? Obviously I can't say for sure, but they're not dumb, game recognize game and anyone who knows anything about the game should know that Mason is clearly the 8th best player on this team. This team uses a 10 man rotation and yet still Mason isn't consistently in it? Inexplicable.

"Significant interest"...that bodes well for the Spurs. Very well, indeed.

Bartleby
02-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Keep in mind that this is coming from Mason's agent, not Mason himself (which isn't to say that they aren't on the same page). Mason's claim about wanting to stay in SA may not be the right thing to say if they are looking to land him a big contract in 2010.

Stringer_Bell
02-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Well damn. I really like RMJ in a run & gun shooting roll when everyone else is playing timid, but he is a liability when we have a decent lead and he starts taking dumb shots without working the clock. If his mouth piece says he wants out, let him out. Someone will want him and we can probably get a good piece out of it...hope this works!

Mel_13
02-15-2010, 08:37 PM

The greatest part of Mason's trade value was as a 3.8M expiring contract. That hasn't changed.

Sausage
02-15-2010, 08:38 PM
VtRuC0oRTJQ

This was just last year! What has Bogans done to deserve the starting role? I remember he had ONE good game against Dallas in their first meeting. But other than that, he's been AWFUL!

Shifty
Keep in mind that this is coming from Mason's agent, not Mason himself (which isn't to say that they aren't on the same page). Mason's claim about wanting to stay in SA may not be the right thing to say if they are looking to land him a big contract in 2010.

I would like to think this is true. Maybe this is a reaction by his agent to gather some interest for his next contract.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Would Mason get his minutes in Chicago?

ElNono
02-15-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm one of those that believe the rumors there was a friction between Bowen and Pop because Finley was in front of him on the rotation. This would be the second time Pop pulled the same shit. Obviously, this is mere opinion based on a rumor, so take it with a grain of salt.

crc21209
02-15-2010, 08:40 PM

One of the things that they do lack is 3-point shooting...

tothrowed
02-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Wtf mason is one of our best players whats going on and no the salmons trade dosnet make sence salmons is a ball hog and tt is worse than stephen jackson attitude wise mason > bogans

weebo
02-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Some of these guys overvalue themselves. Roger Mason is nothing more than an erratic three pointer shooter with shoddy defense. He's had a couple of good games here and there but nothing that would warrant him getting big minutes. The coming of age for GHill as the 2 guard really pushed Mason farther into Pop's dog house. So long 'Money Mase'.

MaNu4Tres
02-15-2010, 08:42 PM
The greatest part of Mason's trade value was as a 3.8M expiring contract. That hasn't changed.

I fully aware of that. And when I say down, I don't mean significantly.

Teams will just have a little more leverage now that he has made it public that he wants out.

Baseline
02-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Pop screwed the guy up. Mason has never been anything more than a shooter. That's obvious. But it wasn't obvious to Pop, who tried to make him a point guard, and in so doing, messed up his rhythm and consequently, his shot.

Mason's agent must be extremely angry if he went to the press with this. He has to know this "announcement" makes a deal that much more difficult to do, but he did it anyway - probably to spite Popovich.

I think this situation is indicative of a far greater problem the Spurs have - very few NBA guys like playing for Pop. Tim is very unusual. Tim is also very disciplined, no nonsense, and extremely good. He also is a great defender. But if you are like 95% of the NBA and you are not all of those things, you're going to have a hard time playing for Pop.

Add Mason to the list of guys Pop has ruined.

weebo
This guy is genuinely a good guy, you can just tell. I believe him when he said he wanted to remain with the Spurs for the remainder of his career, but here's the part he left out: so long as he's playing a role in that. A role more significant than fringe rotation player, that is.

I don't blame him a bit. Inexplicably, his role went from solid starter to 10th-11th man. He didn't even get a chance to keep his starting job, it was snatched away from him the moment training camp commenced. And for who? Finley, who's only in the league based on reputation at this point more than anything. That was followed by Bogans being handed a starting spot, on the basis of his being a "tough defender". He may be a tough defender, but that doesn't make him a stopper. He unequivocally proved that this season.

You don't think the team has been annoyed by the treatment Mason has received? Obviously I can't say for sure, but they're not dumb, game recognize game and anyone who knows anything about the game should know that Mason is clearly the 8th best player on this team. This team uses a 10 man rotation and yet still Mason isn't consistently in it? Inexplicable.

"Significant interest"...that bodes well for the Spurs. Very well, indeed.

Mason sucks. Get over it. It wasn't Mike Fin that took his minutes away. It was GHill.

CGD
Sucks but not surprised. Mase is a smart dude, and while he'd love to stay here he's also a realist surely weighing the following factors: (1) he's in a contract year, (2) hard cap or other pro-owner CBA changes in 2011 loom, (3) reduced minutes means less opportunity to showcase his value in FA this summer.

I wish him all the best if he does leave. Wahoowa!

elbamba
02-15-2010, 08:44 PM
I think the Spurs are making a mistake by not playing him. I honestly hope they don't trade him, and play him more. He's a lot better than Bogans so he should've started instead of him.

Man is this true. It is a mistake to move him, especially because we won't get anything for him but maybe some relief.

MaNu4Tres

At the expense of Salmons, yes he would get a lot actually.

ElNono
Some of these guys overvalue themselves. Roger Mason is nothing more than an erratic three pointer shooter with shoddy defense. He's had a couple of good games here and there but nothing that would warrant him getting big minutes. The coming of age for GHill as the 2 guard really pushed Mason farther into Pop's dog house. So long 'Money Mase'.

I still think Mason is more valuable than Finley. Sure, it's like selecting between a giant douche or a turd sandwich, but still. There's no reason why you wouldn't play Mason over Finley.

I also hope that if we move Mason, we better be signing a backup PG. Tony has been hobbled, and Manu or Hill are not PGs. Mason has been playing the role, and he sucked at it too.

MaNu4Tres
02-15-2010, 08:45 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yhxtb83

Pop's dream would come true.

TIMMYD!
02-15-2010, 08:47 PM

We could have a ginger fest with Scabs and Bonner. :lol

benefactor

tdunk21
lets hope the spurs will get good value in return.....i wonder if we can get jamison

MaNu4Tres
02-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Pop screwed the guy up. Mason has never been anything more than a shooter. That's obvious. But it wasn't obvious to Pop, who tried to make him a point guard, and in so doing, messed up his rhythm and consequently, his shot.

Mason's agent must be extremely angry if he went to the press with this. He has to know this "announcement" makes a deal that much more difficult to do, but he did it anyway - probably to spite Popovich.

I think this situation is indicative of a far greater problem the Spurs have - very few NBA guys like playing for Pop. Tim is very unusual. Tim is also very disciplined, no nonsense, and extremely good. He also is a great defender. But if you are like 95% of the NBA and you are not all of those things, you're going to have a hard time playing for Pop.

Add Mason to the list of guys Pop has ruined.

Give me a break.

crc21209

:lol We would have double the sandwich hunting! :lol

tdunk21

lol

admiralsnackbar
02-15-2010, 08:49 PM

I don't really think it's a matter of over-valuing himself as it is a contract year leading into what could potentially be his last pro contract. He needs to promote himself and you can't blame him for looking after his future when even his present ability to contribute is being ignored.

If he said he wanted to retire a Spur, I have no reason to doubt him, but I also think it was just him being a professional and showing he knows how to say the right things (in contrast with, say, Amare) . Much luck to him. And to us, for that matter -- maybe we can get some good piece with him.

weebo
I still think Mason is more valuable than Finley. Sure, it's like selecting between a giant douche or a turd sandwich, but still. There's no reason why you wouldn't play Mason over Finley.

I also hope that if we move Mason, we better be signing a backup PG. Tony has been hobbled, and Manu or Hill are not PGs. Mason has been playing the role, and he sucked at it too.

Last year, yes, I would agree. This year, however, Fin hardly has seen much playing time. If Mason wasn't too much of a chucker with poor D, I could see why people would get upset over this guy.

Personally, I wouldn't mind keeping him, but if he can get us something viable back I'm all for it.

SpursRulez4eVeR

Scalabrine > bonner :wakeup

benefactor
rofl Pop ruining Mason. It's not Pops fault that all Mason can do is shoot.

dbestpro
02-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Pop screwed the guy up. Mason has never been anything more than a shooter. That's obvious. But it wasn't obvious to Pop, who tried to make him a point guard, and in so doing, messed up his rhythm.

Pop would never play a person out of their position if it would mess up their game. Just ask RJ.

benefactor
02-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Mason/Finley for Salmons. No brainer.

angelbelow
02-15-2010, 08:52 PM

Yea I thought of that too.

jimo2305
02-15-2010, 08:53 PM
dammit no! no no no!

it's bad enough pop doesn't play the guy..

yeah im a mason fan but im not scared to say he's been playin like shit.. but mason's far from the worst player on the team like some of y'all are makin' him out to be..

there's like a good 5 or 6 players id rather seen gone before mason.. he's saved our asses numerous times in the past.. and he's not old.. but y'all seem to forget this.. smh..

ElNono
02-15-2010, 08:55 PM

What's probably holding up that trade is that Pop doesn't want to let Finley go....

Sausage
02-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Roger has been a favorite player of mine and it would be sad to see him go considering the circumstances, but if he's going to rot on the bench, might as well get something for him right?

As long as he's not in Maverick blue or Lakers purple and gold, then I'll be okay with a trade.

wut
02-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Anyone who can't play defense is expendable.

While I like Mason's 'no fear' attitude to take shots...it seemed this season he was jacking up horrible shots.

Mason was brought in to infuse the team with some offense....and that's no longer a problem with G. Hill, Blair and RJ on the team.

benefactor
02-15-2010, 08:57 PM
What's probably holding up that trade is that Pop doesn't want to let Finley go....

He can probably have Finley back after 30 days. C'mon Pop..it's just a month.

5in10
get us back someone that is not as dumb as RJ please.

DesignatedT
Mason is definitely better than bogans but if we can bring in another big to help us out im all for this...

plus what some people dont realize is that manus 27 mpg and tonys 32 mpg are all going to be going up significantly in the playoffs and as we get closer to the playoffs... we really dont even have that much time left for mason or bogans on the court anyway... especially with hill playing the way hes been.

crc21209
He can probably have Finley back after 30 days. C'mon Pop..it's just a month.

Thats 29 days too long for Pop...:lol

Blackjack
02-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Given his standing with the team, contractual status and the looming CBA, this isn't all that surprising; it's understandable, really.

But, what is surprising, is seeing something like this play out in public with the Spurs. This is something we've come to we expect from other, lesser teams and players -- professionally speaking.

What a year . . .

lebomb
02-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Too many Spurs fans are idiots.......I remember last year and earlier this year when Mase hit lots of game ending shots, or was lights out from the perimeter. Let Pop sit a guy for whatever reason he has, and the guy cant come in and hit a shot right away, then everyone crucifies the guy. Im telling you right now, the NBA is all about the green light..........you have it, and you can do no wrong. If you DONT and you shoot and miss? Your ass is in the dog house.

02-15-2010, 08:59 PM
good, a trade would benefit both camps. maybe the spurs can get someone who get knock down the 3 AND play defense. wouldn't that be something?

tp2021
02-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Dang, its take a shit on Mase thread.

tp2021
02-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Thats 29 days too long for Pop...:lol

More like 32 days too long

alchemist
02-15-2010, 09:01 PM
It forces the Spurs to do something, too bad Dallas got the real prize before Mason came out with this BS.

weebo
02-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Too many Spurs fans are idiots.......I remember last year and earlier this year when Mase hit lots of game ending shots, or was lights out from the perimeter. Let Pop sit a guy for whatever reason he has, and the guy cant come in and hit a shot right away, then everyone crucifies the guy. Im telling you right now, the NBA is all about the green light..........you have it, and you can do no wrong. If you DONT and you shoot and miss? Your ass is in the dog house.

In the NBA, if you're a shooter and can only really do that, you have to make your shots consistently. Mason hasn't done that or he would be getting major minutes. I'm sure people would like to pin this one on Pop as well, but Mason dug his own grave by missing too many open shots, playing crappy defense, and not doing much of anything else. If you didn't know this, we already have a guy like that playing major minutes in RJ.

HarlemHeat37
02-15-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm not going to cry over Mason's trade demands..while he's obviously a seriously flawed player, he still has a right to complain after falling behind shitty players like Finley and Bogans in the rotation for no reason..

Finley's role just always hurts the Spurs somehow..

Ice009
It forces the Spurs to do something, too bad Dallas got the real prize before Mason came out with this BS.

I am wondering though if Mason Jr. made this request before the last Nuggets game and was that a reason why Pop started him against the Nuggets to showcase him?

TIMMYD!
good, a trade would benefit both camps. maybe the spurs can get someone who get knock down the 3 AND play defense. wouldn't that be something?

Who do you have in mind?

admiralsnackbar
02-15-2010, 09:04 PM
The more I think about it, I can also imagine some CIA at work. By having Mason demand a trade, other FOs are given the impression that the trade is being offered to accommodate a player, not out of desperation to improve -- ie, Spurs are given some leeway to negotiate a trade without having to bend over a barrel to do so. That it helps Mason out just makes it a win/win.

A bit fanciful, but a bit plausible, too.

jesterbobman
02-15-2010, 09:05 PM
As an option, gets Wash under the tax, Chicago gets shooters on expiring deals, we get talent. Salmons is a better fit from a size standpoint, but it's a similar idea, though I don't know if Washington gives up on Foye as he was a key piece of the Rubio trade.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yf5gvs5

OR to get Memphis More help on the Wing, Save more money for Washington, Possibly also move The 27th pick in 08 or 09 to do it(Carroll or Arthur, Going to Washington)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yz94f2k

SpursRulez4eVeR
02-15-2010, 09:07 PM
mason for Kirk Hinrich straight up so pop can play extreme small ball with kirk, ,TP,manu,rj and td yayy!

or hinrich tp manu rj and ghill :toast

alchemist
02-15-2010, 09:07 PM
I am wondering though if Mason Jr. made this request before the last Nuggets game and was that a reason why Pop started him against the Nuggets to showcase him?
You're probably right, still it sucks that the Mavs got what the Spurs needed. I appreciate Holt for paying the payroll but it hurts to see that the Lakers/Mavs can just bite the bullet and roll the dice financially anytime they want.

lmbebo
02-15-2010, 09:08 PM
What about Blatche for RMJ?

Works straight up

TIMMYD!
02-15-2010, 09:08 PM
As much as i'd like a trade, I'm pretty sure we're staying put.

wut
02-15-2010, 09:09 PM

That was the problem with Mason.... he always thought the light was green.

Dex
02-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Lame. I understand the guy probably just wants to play more minutes or a more significant role, but I lost a little respect for RMJ with this. I wanted to take his side during all of this trade talk, but from the sounds of it, he could be instigator.

At least this means we should see some movement on the trade front.

This also means that unless the Spurs bring in another shooter (which would be questionable considering our need for a defensive big), then we're stuck with Bogans or Finley for the rest of the year. :bang

Mel_13
02-15-2010, 09:11 PM

That does appear to be the most obvious solution. Chicago gets cap space for next year. Spurs get a decent wing for next year at a reasonable price. Mason gets more playing time. Finley retires in his hometown. Wins all the way around.

Ice009
02-15-2010, 09:12 PM
As much as i'd like a trade, I'm pretty sure we're staying put.

I am pretty sure that you are not sure. How can you make a statement like that unless you work for the Spurs? You're just guessing.

HarlemHeat37
02-15-2010, 09:13 PM
There's nothing wrong with always having the green light, that wasn't Mason's problem at all..he's obviously a combo guard that can shoot the lights out from anywhere, can score off the pull-up dribble and gets hot quickly..while he's improved his all-around game, he's still a below average defender, a below average passer and a below average penetrator..

It's nice to have a player like that when the pieces around him work, similar to Eddie House in Boston..our other swingmen don't work around a guy like Mason though, that was part of the problem with having him..Jefferson doesn't play defense, Finley can't play defense even if he tried his hardest, Bogans sucks, Manu isn't going to play the 3 for long stretches and Hill isn't going to play the 3 either..having Mason in there makes our backcourt a huge defensive liability since Jefferson, Bogans and Finley can't defend..

I would much rather move Bogans and Finley, but those guys would never demand a trade..they probably know that most other teams, if not ALL of them, wouldn't want either of them on their team..

I'm just hoping the FO can pull off a Salmons/Thomas deal before the deadline, although the Thomas part looks unlikely..

tp2021
02-15-2010, 09:13 PM
If I know Pop, and I don't, then I think that there's no way he will be happy with a player that makes his desire to be traded public. RMJ is already in the doghouse, and out of the rotation. Most likely, I'd say he's out of San Antonio.

sribb43
02-15-2010, 09:15 PM
This dude was such $$$ until game 3 of the playoffs last season....ever since he has sucked balls. More PT for the corpse known as Michael Finley

weebo
02-15-2010, 09:17 PM
LOL @ a fringe role player asking for a trade

timvp
02-15-2010, 09:17 PM
This shouldn't be surprising at all to anyone who has followed along. RMJ has been talking about his lack of minutes all year and it's been obvious Pop is no longer fond of him. The last straw came after the Denver game when Pop not so subtly blamed him for the loss.

In any trade scenario, RMJ was going to be included. He has a good sized expiring deal and his on the court value may make him slightly more appealing than simply an expiring contract. The Spurs really need to make a trade to shake up the chemistry and RMJ was very likely to be involved, even before this talk by the agent.

As for his play, this is an odd end to the RMJ era. He played very well at times last year but it all fell apart late in the season. Teams figured out he's a liability on the defensive end .... especially against quickness. Add that to his woeful series against the Mavs and I can understand why Pop never really trusted him this season. Poor defenders who choked in the playoffs don't exactly make the most sense when going for a championship.

As long as it's Hill getting RMJ's shooting guard minutes, the Spurs won't skip a beat without him. But if it's Finley or Bogans, that's a different story . . .

The trade deadline will be very interesting. You gotta think the chances of the Spurs making some sort of trade is about 90%.

Dex
02-15-2010, 09:18 PM
If I know Pop, and I don't, then I think that there's no way he will be happy with a player that makes his desire to be traded public. RMJ is already in the doghouse, and out of the rotation. Most likely, I'd say he's out of San Antonio.

If RMJ wasn't out of the rotation before, he is now.

I'd be surprised to see anything more than showcase minutes...and I think people know what they are getting with Mase.

Sausage
02-15-2010, 09:18 PM
from Twitter.

@JimBobBreazeale: Chi Tribune says Bulls have made it known they won't take on $ & want expiring deals. Fin, Bonner & Mason fit the bill.

FeZZy
02-15-2010, 09:19 PM
yay! trade timeeee

bigdog
02-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Awesome. This definitely puts him out of the rotation. If he doesn't suit up Wednesday, we know he's probably being traded.

Let's get a big!

TIMMYD!
02-15-2010, 09:21 PM
from Twitter.

@JimBobBreazeale: Chi Tribune says Bulls have made it known they won't take on $ & want expiring deals. Fin, Bonner & Mason fit the bill.

Does he work for the Spurs?

SequSpur
02-15-2010, 09:21 PM
This shouldn't be surprising at all to anyone who has followed along. RMJ has been talking about his lack of minutes all year and it's been obvious Pop is no longer fond of him. The last straw came after the Denver game when Pop not so subtly blamed him for the loss.

In any trade scenario, RMJ was going to be included. He has a good sized expiring deal and his on the court value may make him slightly more appealing than simply an expiring contract. The Spurs really need to make a trade to shake up the chemistry and RMJ was very likely to be involved, even before this talk by the agent.

As for his play, this is an odd end to the RMJ era. He played very well at times last year but it all fell apart late in the season. Teams figured out he's a liability on the defensive end .... especially against quickness. Add that to his woeful series against the Mavs and I can understand why Pop never really trusted him this season. Poor defenders who choked in the playoffs don't exactly make the most sense when going for a championship.

As long as it's Hill getting RMJ's shooting guard minutes, the Spurs won't skip a beat without him. But if it's Finley or Bogans, that's a different story . . .

The trade deadline will be very interesting. You gotta think the chances of the Spurs making some sort of trade is about 90%.

you fail to mention that RMJs heroic measures last year, probably got the spurs where they were in the seeding.

he has helped on many occasions this year as well....outside of him and maybe george hill, the spurs have no outside shooting...

it will a tragedy that he is gone and this team will have to rely on bonner and finley from downtown....

yeah right...

Sausage
02-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Does he work for the Spurs?

No, but he's just pointing out what the Chicago Tribune was saying, and that Fin, Bonner, and Mason fit the description.

TIMMYD!
02-15-2010, 09:24 PM
No, but he's just pointing out what the Chicago Tribune was saying, and that Fin, Bonner, and Mason fit the description.

Dream situation if we end up with both Salmons and Thomas.

lefty
02-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Ok, trade for .......

...............Captain Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaax

MaNu4Tres
02-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Ok, trade for .......

...............Captain Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaax

We could have got him for Mason and Bonner but we didn't pull the trigger back in the beginning of the season.

ShoogarBear
02-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Poor defenders who choked in the playoffs don't exactly make the most sense when going for a championship.

http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/4/4c/Act_matt_bonner.jpg

So he must be on the trading block, too then.

Spursfan 87
02-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Take this opportunity to clean the house.

Bogans,Bonner,Mase,Finley for Salmons and Thomas

Pop can have his Finley back in 30 days

Dex
I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

This season blows.

HarlemHeat37
I'll be somewhat happy as long as Finley and Bogans don't play a single minute for us the rest of the season(obviously unrealistic)..addition by subtraction..perimeter players that can barely move shouldn't have roles on a team with high aspirations..

EricB

Since last year he has been.

Dex
02-15-2010, 09:29 PM
I'll be somewhat happy as long as Finley and Bogans don't play a single minute for us the rest of the season(obviously unrealistic)..addition by subtraction..

Good luck with that.

lefty
02-15-2010, 09:29 PM
We could have got him for Mason and Bonner but we didn't pull the trigger back in the beginning of the season.
Don't remind me

Ideally I would like to keep Mason, he is fucking clutch, but if we are gonna trade him, we should get another clutch shooter

Creation88
02-15-2010, 09:30 PM
i think the Spurs made a huge mistake not playing Mason, now he wants out. he's the one sharpshooter we have. oh well, trade for Salmons.

SequSpur
02-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Don't remind me

Ideally I would like to keep Mason, he is fucking clutch, but if we are gonna trade him, we should get another clutch shooter

Mason is the best fucking shooter on the team...

Yeah, trade him...the spurs will average 70ppg, have the best defense, while our opposition averages 85 and they still lose by 15 and get in the lottery.

Ice009
02-15-2010, 09:33 PM
http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/20082353?source=rss_blogs_NBA

The Knicks, another source said, also remain involved with the Bulls (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/CHI) regarding Tyrus Thomas (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1113185) -- among the most likely players to be traded by Thursday because of his problematic status as a restricted free agent after the season. Denver, Houston, and Charlotte also have inquired about Thomas, and the Spurs (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/SA) are believed to quietly ready to pounce with an offer in their bid to add much needed length and athleticism to their frontcourt.

TD 21 posted this in another thread. I thought it would be worth mentioning here too.

Obstructed_View
Add that to his woeful series against the Mavs and I can understand why Pop never really trusted him this season. Poor defenders who choked in the playoffs don't exactly make the most sense when going for a championship.

Pop had declared the chances for a title dead with Manu's injury. It's simply inconceivable that anyone would be surprised the way the Spurs rolled over and died, and inexplicable that anyone would hold a grudge going into this season. That said, it it looks like that's exactly what happened. I just don't know how you can understand it as though it makes some kind of sense.

jimo2305
I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

This season blows.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

5in10
02-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Mason for Ronnie brewer? Does that work?

EricB
02-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Pop had declared the chances for a title dead with Manu's injury. It's simply inconceivable that anyone would be surprised the way the Spurs rolled over and died, and inexplicable that anyone would hold a grudge going into this season. That said, it it looks like that's exactly what happened. I just don't know how you can understand it as though it makes some kind of sense.

He was wrong or something? :lol

lefty
02-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Mason is the best fucking shooter on the team...

Yeah, trade him...the spurs will average 70ppg, have the best defense, while our opposition averages 85 and they still lose by 15 and get in the lottery.

EricB
02-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Mason for Ronnie brewer? Does that work?

Yuck...

Ice009
02-15-2010, 09:36 PM
He was wrong or something? :lol

You know good and well that a comment like that doesn't exactly help the team believe in themselves.

tim_duncan_fan
Why do people want Tyrus Thomas? Isn't he known for a low basketball IQ, limited skillset and barely being 6-10? In what way would he help us?

SpurNation
I can't blame him.

ElNono
Considering the FO was targeting him for two seasons before actually signing him, I guess it's safe to say they were way off judging RMJ's talent...

ffadicted
02-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Is it save to assume that if the spurs are trading mason because of lack of minutes, then in return they plan to get someone who can play meaninful minutes, in which case we'll see an expiring deal package?

ElNono
02-15-2010, 09:37 PM
You know good and well that a comment like that doesn't exactly help the team believe in themselves.

I actually think Pop was trying to loosen them up with that comment...

Ice009
02-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Considering the FO was targeting him for two seasons before actually signing him, I guess it's safe to say they were way off judging RMJ's talent...

The Lakers didn't have Gasol and the Celtics didn't have Garnett when they were targeting him. The NBA has changed a lot since then.

EricB
02-15-2010, 09:39 PM

You guys are such fucking hypocrites.

Ice009
02-15-2010, 09:39 PM
I actually think Pop was trying to loosen them up with that comment...

He said it before Manu was out though. He didn't know Manu would be out for the season. It was a stupid comment and there was no need for it.

timvp
02-15-2010, 09:40 PM

He probably is. However, Bonner is currently the second best defensive bigman on the team.

Although that probably says the more about the team than anything else . . .

Ice009

You guys are such fucking hypocrites.

We can't all suck off Pop. That is your job and you EXCEL at it.

Spursfan 87
Mason was of great help in last year playoffs...........

EricB

Or his talent was there and he just didn't work?

It happens ya know... Things that would in theory work but for some reason or another just not....

Not EVERYTHING can work out 100%.

ducks
he was wrong or something? :lol

yes he fucking was
had he not ruided their confidence
this team does not soley rest on a overpaid manu

EricB
02-15-2010, 09:41 PM
We can't all suck off Pop. That is your job and you EXCEL at it.

Or I'm just realistic?

EricB
02-15-2010, 09:41 PM
yes he fucking was
had he not ruided their confidence
this team does not soley rest on a overpaid manu

I know I hate it when my confidence is ruided.

ulosturedge
02-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Mason would be better suited playing for a offense happy team. Mason's game conflicts with everything Pop wants out on the floor which is solid defense. Bring up Malik to backup Hill and Manu and get a big for Mason.

EricB
02-15-2010, 09:43 PM
He said it before Manu was out though. He didn't know Manu would be out for the season. It was a stupid comment and there was no need for it.

You see this is classic, had he said "We can beat anyone, even without manu" You would've been one of the first ones on here saying "WTF is he smoking and why is he bsing the team?"

Fucking hypocrites....

DPG21920
02-15-2010, 09:43 PM
I just don't get that the Spurs FO is cool about it. Who do they have ahead of him and why?

EricB
02-15-2010, 09:44 PM
I just don't get that the Spurs FO is cool about it. Who do they have ahead of him and why?

Someone they would get in return?

Ice009
Or I'm just realistic?

Look man I'd say most people knew we didn't have a chance with out Manu, but why say that to the team?

I said we had about a 5% chance of winning it all last season and I said the Mavs had about a 1% chance before the playoffs started.

Why not just miss the playoffs if you really think that. Pop should have told them to tank then if he felt we had no chance of doing anything, even getting past the first round.

SpurNation
He probably is. However, Bonner is currently the second best defensive bigman on the team.

Although that probably says the more about the team than anything else . . .

Ain't that the frickin' truth.

Marcus Bryant
Get the fuck out.

ducks
hill is ahead of mason
his d is a little better then mason
and hills shot is good
I also think hills d is overrated but improving

ducks
02-15-2010, 09:45 PM

maybe not
they might get a pick to stash over seas and never play for the spurs:lol

200 miles
02-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Bonner/Mason/Mahinmi for Batum

Is it feasible or not?

ducks
i know i hate it when my confidence is ruided.

have you ever played pro ball
confidence is fucking key

alchemist
so do the Spurs just go balls to wall and trade Ginobili with Mason/Bonner/Finley?

MaNu4Tres
02-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Ain't that the frickin' truth.

It's not.

EricB
Get the fuck out.

Yeah, he may be getting a raw deal being behind Bogans and FInley which IMO is just retarded playing behind them but wanting or demanding a trade is a bitch move.

Adios.

ducks
Yuck...

brewer d is way better and would not demand out

EricB
so do the Spurs just go balls to wall and trade Ginobili with Mason/Bonner/Finley?

Knowing the crush that Pop has on Ginobili, I'd put the odds of trading him at about 5%

Ice009
02-15-2010, 09:48 PM
You see this is classic, had he said "We can beat anyone, even without manu" You would've been one of the first ones on here saying "WTF is he smoking and why is he bsing the team?"

Fucking hypocrites....

Pop didn't say that though. Making up fake quotes to call me a hypocrite is retarded.

Pop should have said something along the lines of just play hard and play defense and we'll see what we can do. He could have even said nothing at all.

There is no need to go to extremes and say we can win it all with Manu or we can't win shit with out Manu.

EricB
brewer d is way better and would not demand out

Brewer sucks.

Blackjack
I don't think Mason's failure against the Mavs was a choke -- as in he couldn't handle the pressure mentally.

Roger just happened to be a very limited player playing on a beat up team, which in turn allowed their opponent to completely neutralize his one real strength by forcing him into a role he was incapable of playing -- namely taking him off the three-point line and making him create off the dribble offensively (rendering him baffled and ineffective).

If you've got a dominant, healthy Tim and Manu that series, I'm sure Mason would have acquitted himself much better . . .

I have no problem with the Spurs letting him go or Roger and his agent even advocating for a trade -- it's in both parties best interest, imo. The Spurs need a more well-rounded player than Mason and Roger deserves the opportunity to play for his next contract -- it clearly won't be with the Spurs.

Blackjack
I don't think Mason's failure against the Mavs was a choke -- as in he couldn't handle the pressure mentally.

Roger just happened to be a very limited player playing on a beat up team, which in turn allowed their opponent to completely neutralize his one real strength by forcing him into a role he was incapable of playing -- namely taking him off the three-point line and making him create off the dribble offensively (rendering him baffled and ineffective).

If you've got a dominant, healthy Tim and Manu that series, I'm sure Mason would have acquitted himself much better . . .

I have no problem with the Spurs letting him go or Roger and his agent even advocating for a trade -- it's in both parties best interest, imo. The Spurs need a more well-rounded player than Mason and Roger deserves the opportunity to play for his next contract -- it clearly won't be with the Spurs.

DPG21920

What does that have to do with why he is not playing now?

ShoogarBear
02-15-2010, 09:49 PM

Fucking hypocrites....

No, it would be a coach trying to rally his troops to put out their best effort.
That's pretty much what he did in 2007.

The "woe is me, we have no hope" spiel is straight from the Don Nelson Excuse Making Loser Bullshit School of coaching. Unfortunately and inexplicably, Pop seems to have picked this time in his career to start emulating his buddy in all kinds of bad ways.

EricB
Pop didn't say that though. Making up fake quotes to call me a hypocrite is retarded.

Pop should have said something along the lines of just play hard and play defense and we'll see what we can do. He could have even said nothing at all.

There is no need to go to extremes and say we can win it all with Manu or we can't win shit with out Manu.

Inferring intent in joking quotes is retarded as well.

Yet you do it.

Marcus Bryant
http://ahedofmytime.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/whitehouse12_600_070306.jpg

GTFO.

Mel_13
02-15-2010, 09:50 PM

The basic idea was posted here:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4084515&postcount=79

Look at 144 total minutes per game at the 1, 2, and 3. As the season progresses, RJ, Tony, and Hill will be playing 35+ mpg and Manu will play close to 30. That only leaves 10-15 mpg for the 5th perimeter player. Mason did the math.

ploto
RMJ was one of the best players to come onto the team and right away play well with Duncan. When he was starting and Duncan would kick the ball out to him, it worked well almost from the get go. Then, Pop played mind games and it was all gone.

Spurs players have asked to be traded before but I do not recall it getting out before the trade happened.

EricB
No, it would be a coach trying to rally his troops to put out their best effort.

The "woe is me, we have no hope" spiel is straight from the Don Nelson Excuse Making Loser Bullshit School of coaching. Unfortunately and inexplicably, Pop seems to have picked this time in his career to start emulating his buddy in all kinds of bad ways.

Problem is, there was a roster to rally behind in 07.

Can you honestly say that about THIS roster as it stands now?

If they were to get a Tyrus Thomas and a John Salmons I'd then go into full 07 mode and be ready to rally the troops, but even I one of the biggest Spurs homers there is can't get confident in this group.

ElNono
have you ever played pro ball
confidence is fucking key

You have?

ducks
02-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Brewer sucks.

mason does not ?

EricB
02-15-2010, 09:51 PM
What does that have to do with why he is not playing now?

I misunderstood what you said.

Sorry all knowing one.

ducks
02-15-2010, 09:52 PM

If they were to get a Tyrus Thomas and a John Salmons I'd then go into full 07 mode and be ready to rally the troops, but even I one of the biggest Spurs homers there is can't get confident in this group.

quit making excuses

spurs are starting to look like they need a new coach

EricB
02-15-2010, 09:52 PM
mason does not ?

wtf...

DPG21920
02-15-2010, 09:53 PM
I misunderstood what you said.

Sorry all knowing one.

:lol What does that even mean? You misunderstood what I said, then call me all knowing one? I could literally say that about everyone of your posts.

Cant_Be_Faded

shoog you have definitely been onto something with this theory

i'm agreeing more and more

EricB
:lol What does that even mean? You misunderstood what I said, then call me all knowing one? I could literally say that about everyone of your posts.

I've never professed to know all at all.

I don't think as highly of my posts as 90% of the people here.

lurker23
As good as Mason was at times last year, I view this mostly as good news, since it probably spurs the Spurs (no pun intended) into making at least a minor trade. If they can't get a major trade done (seems likely at this point), one that's a minor upgrade and shakes things up a little bit would still probably be nice to help wake the team up.

ducks
02-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Knowing the crush that Pop has on Ginobili, I'd put the odds of trading him at about 5%

manu posted him and pop are not close anymore

manu wants extended

manu is not finley

EricB
quit making excuses

spurs are starting to look like they need a new coach

Awesome, who,

Eric Musselman?

PJ Carleisimo?

What available coach right now are you gonna get thats better?

Seriously.

Ice009

Just quit then T Park. Don't watch any games and don't come to the forum.

So you gotta have a stacked team before you can believe you'll win anything. Is that what you are saying?

We've already got the talent on the team now, but it's just not meshing. Does than mean the Spurs should call the season off?

Did you have any clue in 2007 that the Spurs would win? I reckon you didn't before those playoffs started.

EricB
02-15-2010, 09:55 PM

manu wants extended

manu is not finley

Since when did you become Argentinian?

ducks
wtf...

mason has sucked since the first half of the first season he was here

ElNono

Actually Manu posted exactly the opposite of that. He said his friendship with Pop transcends the player-coach relationship.

Now, that doesn't mean the FO won't trade him.

dbestpro
Look at the teams that need 3 pt shooters. RMJ and Bonner could help these 8 teams that are the worst from 3 pt range.

pistons
nets
pacers
clippers
wolves
grizzlies
rockets
bulls

ducks
02-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Since when did you become Argentinian?

since when have you

EricB
02-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Just quit then T Park. Don't watch any games and don't come to the forum.

So you gotta have a stacked team before you can believe you'll win anything. Is that what you are saying?

We've already got the talent on the team now, but it's just not meshing. Does than mean the Spurs should call the season off?

Did you have any clue in 2007 that the Spurs would win? I reckon you didn't before those playoffs started.

Not having confidence in a group = quitting?

No, its just being realistic.

Im gonna go to the games, root like hell for em, but unless a trade is made or injuries, I don't think they will win the ring.

Its just plane reality. Sorry.

DPG21920
02-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Actually Manu posted exactly the opposite of that. He said his friendship with Pop transcends the player-coach relationship.

Now, that doesn't mean the FO won't trade him.

It is like he just makes stuff up. Manu said it is a tough situation, but that he values Pop and his relationship.

Cane
Its for the best of both parties but that X-Mas shot against the Suns will always be remembered in Spurs history ;)

Thursday couldn't come soon enough.

EricB
Look at the teams that need 3 pt shooters. RMJ and Bonner could help these 8 teams that are the worst from 3 pt range.

pistons
nets
pacers
clippers
wolves
grizzlies
rockets
bulls

Uh cross out the Nets Rockets and Grizzlies

Out of the rest of em, only the Bulls have players I'd be honestly interested in.

ducks
Awesome, who,

Eric Musselman?

PJ Carleisimo?

Seriously.

aj is avaible
right now he would be better then pop and I am not an aj fan

Ice009
Not having confidence in a group = quitting?

No, its just being realistic.

Im gonna go to the games, root like hell for em, but unless a trade is made or injuries, I don't think they will win the ring.

Its just plane reality. Sorry.

Did you think the Spurs would win it all around this time in 2007?

Most fans thought that we didn't have a chance around this time back then either.

If you did show me some quotes.

EricB
02-15-2010, 09:58 PM
It is like he just makes stuff up. Manu said it is a tough situation, but that he values Pop and his relationship.

Yeah Pop and Manu are guys in retirement that will take a vacation together and not think about the old times, debate politics and do other things.

They are friends.

Hard not to with the time they've spent together and what they've all been through.

ducks
02-15-2010, 09:59 PM

Out of the rest of em, only the Bulls have players I'd be honestly interested in.

all teams have players better then mason

ElNono

It's also amazing how ducks will never fail to bring up his Manu hate in a completely unrelated thread. I mean, this is a 'Mason wants out' thread... :lol

dbestpro
Awesome, who,
Eric Musselman?
PJ Carleisimo?
Seriously.

This argument use to work. The problem is Pop has coached this year like Mussleman. If he continues to coach this way, then you can take your pick of dozens of coaches who can do better, including PJ. In fact give me Jabbar as our next head coach. At least he wouldn't go small.

DPG21920
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities
English novelist (1812 - 1870)

EricB
Did you think the Spurs would win it all around this time in 2007?

Most fans thought that we didn't have a chance around this time back then either.

If you did show me some quotes.

I wasn't 100% confident, but I knew they had the pieces to do it.

Show me quotes. Up yours kid.

timvp
If no larger trade can be worked out, I bet the Spurs trade RMJ + Mahinmi to Golden State for Raja Bell and cash.

ShoogarBear
02-15-2010, 10:00 PM

“If we don't win it, I should probably be fired."--Gregg Popovich, Jul 19th 2009.

Now, I'm not saying that this particular team functioning at its peak is good enough to beat the Lakers or Denver or (now) Dallas at their peaks. But it clearly has more talent than any team in the Duncan Era and it's not even come close to achieving its potential. In fact, the last team Spurs team to underachieve this badly was what . . . when Tarkanian was coach?

It's not 100% on Pop, but I would say a large part, like 75%, is on him. And not just the tactical decisions like smallball and the rotations, but the shit like throwing players under the bus and adopting the Don Nelson excuse vibe.

Pop's been a fantastic coach, but this year he's declined more than any player. I don't understand it, maybe he's just getting tired.

EricB
This argument use to work. The problem is Pop has coached this year like Mussleman. If he continues to coach this way, then you can take your pick of dozens of coaches who can do better, including PJ. In fact give me Jabbar as our next head coach. At least he wouldn't go small.

:lmao

Yeah ok kid.

ElNono
If no larger trade can be worked out, I bet the Spurs trade RMJ + Mahinmi to Golden State for Raja Bell and cash.

I rather do that than standing pat...

ducks
Yeah Pop and Manu are guys in retirement that will take a vacation together and not think about the old times, debate politics and do other things.

They are friends.

Hard not to with the time they've spent together and what they've all been through.

right now they both can not retire fast enough

spurs could use some of that 11 million on player then can make a difference
regularly

BanditHiro

the nets have brock lopez i know he would be impossible to get but..

EricB
02-15-2010, 10:01 PM

Meh, I guess that would be ok.

In theory it would be ok, but, damn.

ducks
02-15-2010, 10:01 PM
“If we don't win it, I should probably be fired."--Gregg Popovich, Jul 19th 2009.

Now, I'm not saying that this particular team functioning at its peak is good enough to beat the Lakers or Denver or (now) Dallas at their peaks. But it clearly has more talent than any team in the Duncan Era and it's not even come close to achieving its potential. In fact, the last team Spurs team to underachieve this badly was what . . . when Tarkanian was coach?

It's not 100% on Pop, but I would say a large part, like 75%, is on him. And not just the tactical decisions like smallball and the rotations, but the shit like throwing players under the bus and the adopting the Don Nelson excuse vibe.

Pop's been a fantastic coach, but this year he's declined more than any player. I don't understand it, maybe he's just getting tired.
he is tired that is why aj would even be better then him

MaNu4Tres
02-15-2010, 10:02 PM

Or a Mason/Finley for Salmons

With Finley coming back in 30 days. (Pop's deal breaker)

SequSpur
Tyrus Thomas and Salmons.........:lmao

yeah right...the bulls are doing great with them aren't they....

ElNono

I wanted to add... if that ends up being the case... so much for all those 'valuable expiring contracts' people were pimping when the season started...

SequSpur
02-15-2010, 10:03 PM

yeah, RMJ would probably have a chance at being an allstar next year and Mahinmi will average a double double....

Raja Bell sucks.

EricB

It's not 100% on Pop, but I would say a large part, like 75%, is on him. And not just the tactical decisions like smallball and the rotations, but the shit like throwing players under the bus and the adopting the Don Nelson excuse vibe.

I don't disagree.

I think there are times this year Pop has been a little too open to the media with his thoughts than he should've been and I don't think I could've ever thought that.

Its a catch 22 though.

Who would you hire better? Is Avery Johnson really that big of an upgrade?

Is there a coach out there right now that you could say "ya know if he had the Spurs roster, I'd love to see what he'd do with it"

I'm not as educated on assistant coaches right now maybe you could point me to a name...

ducks
Meh, I guess that would be ok.

In theory it would be ok, but, damn.

told you they would trade for a pick

ShoogarBear

How were the Wiz doing with Butler and Haywood?

DPG21920

That is a terrible argument. So Al Jefferson sucks? Tyreke Evans? Rose?

ducks
yeah, RMJ would probably have a chance at being an allstar next year and Mahinmi will average a double double....

Raja Bell sucks.

when you trade a sucky player you get that back

SequSpur
02-15-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't disagree.

I think there are times this year Pop has been a little too open to the media with his thoughts than he should've been and I don't think I could've ever thought that.

Its a catch 22 though.

Is there a coach out there right now that you could say "ya know if he had the Spurs roster, I'd love to see what he'd do with it"

I'm not as educated on assistant coaches right now maybe you could point me to a name...

Pop road the gravy train to 4 rings..that's great...every dog has his day...it's time to move on...

I'm tired of his act...get someone here to entertain me....

Libri
If the Spurs still want their back up point guard, then this is the opportunity to get one.

EricB
Or a Mason/Finley for Salmons

With Finley coming back in 30 days. (Pop's deal breaker)

From your keyboard to god's ears.

I don't know how he's played this year, but I loved how he played against the Celtics last year. Especially defensively.

ducks
i don't disagree.

I think there are times this year pop has been a little too open to the media with his thoughts than he should've been and i don't think i could've ever thought that.

Its a catch 22 though.

Who would you hire better? Is avery johnson really that big of an upgrade?

Is there a coach out there right now that you could say "ya know if he had the spurs roster, i'd love to see what he'd do with it"

i'm not as educated on assistant coaches right now maybe you could point me to a name...
a new voice is an upgrade

dbestpro
02-15-2010, 10:05 PM
:lmao

Yeah ok kid.

I probably met your momma at a Spurs game in 78.

Marcus Bryant
Fuck you and your fucking contract year.

EricB
How were the Wiz doing with Butler and Haywood?

* Sniff Sniff*

Smells like burnt midget.

EricB
02-15-2010, 10:06 PM
I probably met your momma at a Spurs game in 78.

Seeing as we didn't move to SA till 82 that would be highly doubtful..

ElNono

You tell em, Marcus... :rollin

Vic Petro
On what planet can one make an argument that Avery Johnson or PJ Carlesimo would be a better basketball coach than Gregg Popovich for any team? Seriously, what are you basing that on? What have they done in their careers that can approach four championship rings? I guess Jeff Bzdelik could have won rings coaching those teams? It's a ridiculous and useless argument.

EricB

Want a topper on your Glenfidditch MB?

ShoogarBear
02-15-2010, 10:07 PM
I don't disagree.

Its a catch 22 though.

I'm not saying hire another coach.

I'm saying this coach needs to get his shit together.

What would be fantastic would be if Pop said something along the lines of, "Hey, remember what I said back in July? That's still true. This is more talent that we've ever had. Everybody on this team needs to stop making me look like an asshole. Beginning with me."

Marcus Bryant
02-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Edradour and GTFO.

ducks
On what planet can one make an argument that Avery Johnson or PJ Carlesimo would be a better basketball coach than Gregg Popovich for any team? Seriously, what are you basing that on? What have they done in their careers that can approach four championship rings? I guess Jeff Bzdelik could have won rings coaching those teams? It's a ridiculous and useless argument.

aj took a less team and almost got them a title

ElNono

You COULD make the argument they would have won having Robinson and Duncan for 4 years, and Duncan in his prime for another 5...

That said, Pop has done great considering he managed to make Duncan stay and win 4 rings with a relatively modest budget...

EricB
02-15-2010, 10:09 PM
You COULD make the argument they would have won having Robinson and Duncan for 4 years, and Duncan in his prime for another 5...

That said, Pop has done great considering he managed to make Duncan stay and win 4 rings with a relatively modest budget...

:lmao @ PJ winning anything...

ElNono
02-15-2010, 10:10 PM
:lmao @ PJ winning anything...

He sure has more championship rings riding Duncan coattails than you...

SequSpur
02-15-2010, 10:10 PM

What would be fantastic would be if Pop said something along the lines of, "Hey, remember what I said back in July? That's still true. This is more talent that we've ever had. Everybody on this team needs to stop making me look like an asshole. Beginning with me."

As long as Parker continues to play sore with his tampon string hangin out..this team could hire phil jackson, red aurbach, greg popovich and jeff van gundy and still couldn't make the playoffs.

EricB
02-15-2010, 10:11 PM
He sure has more championship rings riding Duncan coattails than you...

Jack Haley has more rings than me.

Whats your point.

Pentagruel
02-15-2010, 10:11 PM
PJ is just god-awful... I can't understand how anyone could want that scrub as the Spurs' coach after repeated failures as a head coach in the past.

ElNono
02-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Whats your point.

That a lot of guys won a championship ridding Duncan's coattails... including PJ AND Avery...

EricB
02-15-2010, 10:13 PM

I don't think Pop honestly has that huge of an ego.

I mean, does the team automatically become world beaters if he comes out and says "If we don't win the ring I will quit"?

I mean I understand that he's coaching like Don Nelson and I agree, but I don't understand what coming out in the media saying that I've sucked, does"

EricB
02-15-2010, 10:14 PM
That a lot of guys won a championship ridding Duncan's coattails... including PJ AND Avery...

Yes there have.

What I didnt understand is the thinking that PJ could've possibly won as many as head coach as Pop.

dbestpro
02-15-2010, 10:14 PM

Whats your point.

The point is Pop had done an excellent job in the past and now he sucks as much as anyone who is on the Spurs payroll this year. There came a time when Gervin could no longer deliver and had to move on. The same thing happens to coaches. It really looks like Pop has lost the ear of his players and that they just don't trust his decisions, anymore.

ElNono
02-15-2010, 10:15 PM
And BTW, I don't doubt Pop's coaching capacity... but when he comes out and says he can't get through to the team, then you have to start thinking about players tuning him out... How you get around that?

ducks
02-15-2010, 10:15 PM
I don't think Pop honestly has that huge of an ego.

I mean, does the team automatically become world beaters if he comes out and says "If we don't win the ring I will quit"?

I mean I understand that he's coaching like Don Nelson and I agree, but I don't understand what coming out in the media saying that I've sucked, does"

no not at all
how he talks to the media

SequSpur
02-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Maybe RMJr has had enough and is making a stand. He has to know that he is the best shooter on the team...It's not even close...the rest of this team couldn't hit 5 out of 10 from 3 land with no one else on the court...

can't say I blame him...

ElNono
02-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Yes there have.

What I didnt understand is the thinking that PJ could've possibly won as many as head coach as Pop.

I never claimed 'as many'. I claimed you could make the argument he could have won at least one. 'Blind squirrel finds a nut...' and what not.
I mean, Duncan has been that good.

Marcus Bryant
02-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Maybe the problem is that there are too many prima donna bitches on the team who don't know what it takes to win a championship. Good luck in Clipperland or wherever, MaseMoneywhoever.

SequSpur
02-15-2010, 10:17 PM
no not at all
how he talks to the media

he is under the gun by the organization to do that...the spurs are losing their fan base and support like an atomic bomb on the organization...

I know that as a fact....their is concern in spurs la la land...