PDA

View Full Version : Official 2010 NBA Draft Day Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

timvp
06-24-2010, 01:41 PM
There's sure to be a flurry of action before and during the draft. Use this thread to keep up.

Useful links:

SpursTalk's Prospect Index (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143701)
Spurs Draft Cheat Sheet (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157013)
Who did the Spurs workout? (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129855)
DraftExpress.com Twitter (http://www.draftexpress.com/twitter.php)
NBADraft.net Buzz (http://www.nbadraft.net/draft-day-draft-buzz-0)
Yahoo Draft Buzz (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AgkJvnijhieHtGv7M.zosRbPgq9_?slug=ys-draftbuzz062310)
ESPN.com Draft Buzz (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/category/_/name/draft-reports)

Latest Mock Drafts:

DraftExpress has James Anderson at 20 and Alexey Shved at 49.
NBADraft.net has Larry Sanders at 20 and Darington Hobson at 49.
ESPN.com has Craig Brackins at 20 and Alexey Shved at 49.

DesignatedT
06-24-2010, 01:43 PM
just about 4 hours away!

timvp
06-24-2010, 01:44 PM
OKC TargetingTibor Pleiss

7-foot-1 German bigman Tibor Pleiss has long been rumored to be a target for Oklahoma City GM Sam Presti at the 26th pick. The lastest rumor is that he is considering taking him as high as 18 because he's afraid San Antonio and former boss RC Buford will take him at 20. Pleiss shows a soft touch and great length at 7-foot. Though not the most athletic bigman, Pleiss can run the floor and has good fluidity. He is a strong candidate to leave in Europe for another year or two of seasoning and keep off the books until he's completely ready to contribute.

http://www.nbadraft.net/draft-day-draft-buzz-0

Pleiss makes some sense because it'd give the Spurs another bigman in the pipeline. Plus the Spurs wouldn't have to bring him over for a couple years.

tp2021
06-24-2010, 01:46 PM
I say, the more bigmen being taken ahead of our #20 spot, the better. One more quality wing trickles closer to us.

timvp
06-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Grizzlies like Pondexter

League sources said Washington forward Quincy Pondexter ranks high on the Memphis Grizzlies’ draft board and could be available when they pick at No. 25.

Marc J. Spears, 12:26 p.m. ET, June 24

Heat like Vasquez

If Maryland guard Greivis Vasquez gets out of the first-round, don’t expect him to get past the Miami Heat with the 32nd pick, league executives say.

Adrian Wojnarowski, 12:26 p.m. ET, June 24

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AkjQ.xRJZYFyT_LIeRXsBsHPgq9_?slug=ys-draftbuzz062410

SpursTillTheEnd
06-24-2010, 01:51 PM
i remember last years draft like it was yesterday, the spurs select dejuan blair, man blair almost ripped arms off in the nba

timvp
06-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Aaron (Bowie, MD)
How does Tiago Splitter impact what the Spurs do tonight? Are they working under the assumption that he's coming next year or staying in Europe?

Chad Ford
Deal isn't done, but I think they are hopeful that it will be soon. It may affect them. I've had them taking Craig Brackins here, but I'm begging to hear that they make take Jordan Crawford if he's on the board.

E-RockWill
06-24-2010, 02:05 PM
A little less than 4 hours.

Everyone knows the official Spurs draft party is @ the new Marriott, right? Not goin' myself because there is no way we should be drivin' when it all said & done......

Spurs Brazil
06-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Nets consider moving down
By Adrian Wojnarowski and Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports
1 hour, 30 minutes ago

Email Print NEW YORK – New Jersey Nets general manager Rod Thorn remains uncertain whether he wants to hold onto the third pick to draft Derrick Favors and is aggressively entertaining trade bids, league sources said.

“Rod doesn’t love that spot right now,” a source with knowledge of the Nets’ thinking said. “He’s willing to get out of there and go down.”

The Detroit Pistons would love to get to No. 3 and draft Kentucky center DeMarcus Cousins, sources said, but the two teams haven’t been able to get anywhere on a possible package. The Pistons engaged Sacramento on the fifth spot, but Kings GM Geoff Petrie wants to take Cousins and keep him.

Detroit is no longer making calls to move up and is planning to use its pick at No. 7, league sources said. Georgetown’s Greg Monroe tops Ed Davis on the Pistons’ board.

Thorn plans to draft Favors, the Georgia Tech freshman, should he keep the pick. Nevertheless, Favors is still seen as a young prospect who will likely have to wait two years to develop into a productive player. For the right package, sources said Thorn would be willing to drop down and take Monroe or Baylor’s Epke Udoh.

– Adrian Wojnarowski, 1:30 p.m. ET, June 24

Hornets could trade out of lottery

The New Orleans Hornets’ front office hadn’t wanted to trade its No. 11 pick, but it appears the financial realities of the cash-strapped franchise are making it more likely the team will trade out of the lottery, league sources said late Wednesday.

The Hornets could make a team with cap space take one of their unwanted contracts – perhaps James Posey(notes) or even Julian Wright(notes) – as a condition for moving into the 11th spot. The Hornets could move later into the first round, where the guaranteed contracts for rookies descend with every spot until the 30th pick. Or, perhaps the Hornets could move completely out of the first round and pick up one or two second-round picks.

The Hornets were believed to be hoping Baylor’s Ekpe Udoh would drop down, but that appears unlikely. New Orleans had strong interest with Kansas’ Xavier Henry and Nevada’s Luke Babbitt, too.

In other Hornets news, coach Monty Williams has hired away Sacramento Kings assistant Bryan Gates for his new staff, sources say. Gates had finished his first season in the NBA on Paul Westphal’s staff after a successful run with the Idaho Stampede of the D-League.

– Adrian Wojnarowski, 2:08 a.m. ET, June 24

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnKEFakqE12UcCqsIy3dUOI5nYcB?slug=ys-draftbuzz062410

benefactor
06-24-2010, 02:33 PM
lol twitter. Get some new servers you cheap asses.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/gospelrapper/twitterfail.jpg

Spursfanfromafar
06-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Sources: Bulls unloading Hinrich's salary

By Ric Bucher
ESPN The Magazine

The Chicago Bulls have a deal in place that would move Kirk Hinrich and the 17th pick to the Washington Wizards, freeing up enough cap space to pursue two maximum-salary players on this summer's free-agent market, sources with knowledge of the Bulls' plans said Thursday.

It wasn't immediately clear what Washington would send to Chicago in the trade.

The deal can't be officially consummated until July 8, when the Wizards will have room under the salary cap to absorb Hinrich's $9 million contract without having to send back anything of similar value.

Since it's a good-faith deal for the time being, there remains a chance it could fall apart. But according to one source, the Sacramento Kings are prepared to make a similar deal with the Bulls in the Wizards' stead if that were to happen.

Either way, moving Hinrich and the pick would push Chicago's space under the cap from $20 million to more than $30 million. That puts the Bulls on equal footing with the Miami Heat in pursuing not just one but two members of a free-agent class that is expected to include LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Carlos Boozer, Amare Stoudemire and Joe Johnson.

benefactor
06-24-2010, 02:41 PM
lmao @ benefactor is on bootytalk.com (http://www.bootytalk.com)
What?

ace3g
06-24-2010, 02:46 PM
chadfordinsider

Sources: Hinrich to the Wizards for No. 17 pick http://es.pn/cJE7ce

timvp
06-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Wall, Arenas and Hinrich?

benefactor
06-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Yeah...figure that one out.

ace3g
06-24-2010, 02:50 PM
chadfordinsider

Sorry, typo. Hinrich and 17 to the Wizards. Ric Bucher reporting. http://es.pn/cJE7ce

ace3g
06-24-2010, 02:53 PM
maybe they choose Turner instead

TacoCabanaFajitas
06-24-2010, 02:53 PM

Arenas possibly on the move?

benefactor
06-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Arenas possibly on the move?
Trading for Arenas would be GM career suicide.

xtremesteven33
06-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Wizards are gonna draft Turner...

TacoCabanaFajitas
06-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Trading for Arenas would be GM career suicide.

I'm sure somebody out there would be willing to take the chance on him, if for nothing more than to just fill up the seats

Spursfanfromafar
06-24-2010, 02:56 PM

Some trade rumor going around suggesting Arenas is being traded to the Magic for Vince Carter..

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/06/wizards-magic-discuss-gilbert.html

ajballer4
06-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Arenas has gotta be on the move. There's not enough min for all of them

TacoCabanaFajitas
06-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Arenas to Orlando? Would that be the smallest backcourt in the league? They may as well get Earl Boykins and Nate Robinson

benefactor
06-24-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm sure somebody out there would be willing to take the chance on him, if for nothing more than to just fill up the seats
Have you seen his contract? He's not gonna fill that many seats.

TacoCabanaFajitas
06-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Have you seen his contract? He's not gonna fill that many seats.

I don't think it's going to really matter, something is obviously up if they're getting Hinrich and draft Wall

benefactor
06-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Some trade rumor going around suggesting Arenas is being traded to the Magic for Vince Carter..

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/06/wizards-magic-discuss-gilbert.html
Orlando is far better off biting the bullet and eating VC's deal. Besides, only 4 million is guaranteed in the final year and it could wind up being a useful trade chip at the deadline.

tim_duncan_fan
06-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Guys don't expect anything exciting from the team tonight. I doubt we do any trading at all.

Book it.
:bang

Spursfanfromafar
06-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Orlando is far better off biting the bullet and eating VC's deal. Besides, only 4 million is guaranteed in the final year and it could wind up being a useful trade chip at the deadline.

Completely agree.. Wiz proving that they are a poorly run team to swallow $17 million (of cap space) for merely the 17th pick.

Seventyniner
06-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Perhaps a dumb question: can players (such as Mason, Bonner, or Bogans) whose contracts don't expire until next week be traded? In other words, can the Spurs potentially get in on a salary dump by trading one of those three soon-to-be free agents? I know we would lose their Bird rights, but I don't really care about that.

benefactor
06-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Two NBA teams I spoke with are operating under the assumption that Washington will be making the pick at 17. Elliott Williams may be the guy.

Blackjack
06-24-2010, 03:29 PM
The Wiz obviously look like they're going to be active this summer. They seem to just be acquiring assets more than assembling a team . . .

TimmehC
06-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Elli0t Williams? Because clearly, the Wiz need more combo guards now that they have Hinrich, Arenas and Wall.

benefactor
06-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Houston is entertaining offers for the #14 pick. Initially planned on standing pat, but are intrigued by the offers they're getting now.
Morey would probably want Parker.

Blackjack
06-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Report: Josh Childress about to get offer from Washington Wizards (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/report-josh-childress-about-to-get-offer-from-washington-wizards.php)

Mel_13
06-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Perhaps a dumb question: can players (such as Mason, Bonner, or Bogans) whose contracts don't expire until next week be traded? In other words, can the Spurs potentially get in on a salary dump by trading one of those three soon-to-be free agents? I know we would lose their Bird rights, but I don't really care about that.

No.

Teams are free to make trades again once their season has ended, but cannot trade players whose contracts are ending or could end due to an option or ETO.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q87

DesignatedT
06-24-2010, 03:40 PM
I like that move for Chicago... WTF washington?

Mel_13
06-24-2010, 03:42 PM
I like that move for Chicago... WTF washington?

Makes sense for the Wiz if they've decided that Arenas has no future in Washington, either through trade or buyout.

Seventyniner
06-24-2010, 03:42 PM
No.

Teams are free to make trades again once their season has ended, but cannot trade players whose contracts are ending or could end due to an option or ETO.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q87

Thanks for the answer! The Spurs really aren't going to have the right contracts to provide salary relief for lower-salary players.

benefactor
06-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Washington needs an SF, so that move kinda makes sense.

DesignatedT
06-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Makes sense for the Wiz if they've decided that Arenas has no future in Washington, either through trade or buyout.

I doubt anyone is willing to take on that contract. That buyout is going to be terrible :lol what a joke.

ducks
06-24-2010, 04:04 PM
wizzards should be fun to watch next year

Mel_13
06-24-2010, 04:09 PM
I doubt anyone is willing to take on that contract. That buyout is going to be terrible :lol what a joke.

Yep.

Perfect example of why certain players can't be trusted with giant contracts. Two or three years from now the team that signs A'mare will have a similar problem.

Dro210
06-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Reading that Golden State is interested in moving the 6th pick, but they want whoever takes it to take Monta's contract off their hands too.

Now, I haven't been very big on the potential of trading Tony at all... but Tony for Monta and the 6th pick doesn't sound that bad to me.

Has this been discussed?

Seventyniner
06-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Reading that Golden State is interested in moving the 6th pick, but they want whoever takes it to take Monta's contract off their hands too.

Now, I haven't been very big on the potential of trading Tony at all... but Tony for Monta and the 6th pick doesn't sound that bad to me.

Has this been discussed?

Ugh, that Ellis contract is uggggly. Even Biedrins is rather overpaid, and #6 may not be high enough to be assured of a really good player.

I guess the baseline deal would be RJ + #20 for Ellis + Azubuike + #6...it looks great for the Spurs on paper, but I don't think I'd do it.

angelbelow
06-24-2010, 04:22 PM
cant wait!

DBMethos
06-24-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm really, REALLY not expecting any Spurs trades to go down. That just leaves the mystery of who they'll select with #20 (and #49 to a lesser extent) as the only true drama for the evening...

DesignatedT
06-24-2010, 04:27 PM
90 minutes

Dro210
06-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Ugh, that Ellis contract is uggggly. Even Biedrins is rather overpaid, and #6 may not be high enough to be assured of a really good player.

Not really that ugly.... 6 years/66 million if I'm correct?

Ellis is a nice player, $11mil is pretty reasonable imo

6 would get us one of Monroe, Cousins, Udoh... not quite Favors or Wes Johnson, but I could live with it.

Could try and really pull something off and steal Randolph in the deal too... don't know how we would make that happen tho.

EricB
06-24-2010, 04:33 PM
It helps because Pleiss is good.....

rayray2k8
06-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Eh. My exceptions are pretty low right now. I honestly believe the spurs will trade this pick.

benefactor
06-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Pacers and Nets discussing trade to send package including Danny Granger and 10th pick for Devin Harris, Yi and No. 3 pick, sources tell Y!

Dro210
06-24-2010, 04:40 PM
I guess the baseline deal would be RJ + #20 for Ellis + Azubuike + #6...it looks great for the Spurs on paper, but I don't think I'd do it.

Wow, you wouldn't do that?.... I'd do it in a heartbeat.

DesignatedT
06-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Wojo twitter

Pacers and Nets discussing trade to send package including Danny Granger and 10th pick for Devin Harris, Yi and No. 3 pick, sources tell Y!

:wow

I do that in a heartbeat if im NJ

ace3g
06-24-2010, 04:41 PM
WojYahooNBA

New Jersey has gotten a steady stream of offers for the third pick on Thursday, with teams trying to get a hold of Favors, sources said.

EricB
06-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Wow Granger and the 10th? and you get to dump that stiff Yi?

Better cross your fingers Jersey Shore that goes through.

EricB
06-24-2010, 04:44 PM
38 guests, some are in the Spurs organization I guarantee it. Hey guys, draft a wing you sons of bitches.

DesignatedT
06-24-2010, 04:44 PM
38 guests, some are in the Spurs organization I guarantee it. Hey guys, draft a wing you sons of bitches.

:lol

Dro210
06-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Replay of Dejuan Blair pick on NBATV right now just got me hype!

DesignatedT
06-24-2010, 04:47 PM
How long does each team have between picks again????

Muser
06-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Have fun with the draft everyone, I would watch but I got my final exam on the summer tomorrow. Here's hoping something big happens!

06-24-2010, 04:48 PM
good deal for NJ. people really like favors for some reason.

DesignatedT
06-24-2010, 04:53 PM
How long does each team have between picks again????

ace3g
06-24-2010, 04:54 PM
FakeCoachPop

I'm not one to spread rumors, but it's a known fact that John Wall does not have either of his ACL's. STAY AWAY!

Agloco
06-24-2010, 04:58 PM

ace3g
06-24-2010, 04:58 PM
WojYahooNBA

After pre-draft deals, here's one team's projection of summer cap space: Knicks, $34.2 million; Bulls, $29.1 mil.; NJ, $27.2; Miami, $26.2.

ducks
06-24-2010, 04:59 PM
and with the first pick of the draft they pick cousins!

lol

Shastafarian
Miami, $26.2.

That's WITH Wade's current contract I believe. Without they're around $43/$44 million under. I think.

Duncanonu

I would trade RJ for a bag of chips, so yeah i would do that deal.

Obstructed_View
06-24-2010, 05:05 PM
:wow

I do that in a heartbeat if im NJ

You know AJ's looking to deal Devin Harris. Maybe Dallas will call so he can get Jason Kidd again. :)

mingus
06-24-2010, 05:11 PM
NJ has GOT to do that trade. Granger is a legit 2nd option that they could put next to James. they already have a nice, future all-star post player in Lopez, so they don't need a guy like Favor's or Cousins as much. they just need to put a nice defensive big next to him.

Tito_Trinidad
06-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Granger could be our best SF, the 3 we need

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2010, 05:24 PM

Has this been discussed?

If you could pry away Randolph as part of that deal, it gets more interesting.

Throw in RJ too.

EricB
06-24-2010, 05:27 PM
RJ Parker 20
for Montae Randolph and the 6th?

man oh man.....

Tough but I think I'd pull the trigger on that one.

Seventyniner
06-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Ellis is an absolute cancer. He is a very inefficient volume scorer with a long contract; this is one of the worst players you can have on a team. TP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ellis, and I'm not sure that's enough >s. Ellis would destroy this team's chemistry.

Michi_Germany
06-24-2010, 05:30 PM
It helps because Pleiss is good.....

Pleiss is really good and i would like to see him in the spurs uniform.

ajballer4
06-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Ellis is a baller. That said, hes not good for the Spurs. Hes a Warrior type player for life

EricB
06-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Ellis is an absolute cancer. He is a very inefficient volume scorer with a long contract; this is one of the worst players you can have on a team. TP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ellis, and I'm not sure that's enough >s. Ellis would destroy this team's chemistry.

Ellis would straighten up under Pop, plus Pop likes offensive point guards.

Losing Parker is outweighed by the pick and Randolph.

This of course is all for our amusement only as its never happening...

slick'81
06-24-2010, 05:32 PM
and let the games begin cant wait for the draft

Juanobili
06-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Where can I go to see all the draft day trades and picks, etc.?

Newton
06-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Where can I go to see all the draft day trades and picks, etc.?

http://espn.go.com/espn3/

EricB
06-24-2010, 05:49 PM
SpearsNBAYahoo (http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo)
German C Pleiss is moving up and could be selected as high as 18th by OKC. Its uncertain whether he plays in the NBA next season or overseas

EricB
Thats off of twitter BTW.

Spurs Brazil
Heat working to create cap spaceEmail Print Comments151 By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com
Archive
The Miami Heat were still desperately seeking salary cap room Thursday as the hours ticked down to the NBA draft.

One day after essentially sacrificing Daequan Cook and a first-round draft pick (18th overall) in a trade with Oklahoma City that cleared $3.4 million in salary cap space, a league source told ESPN.com that the Heat were working Thursday on a buyout of James Jones' contract to further increase their financial flexibility for free agency this summer.

Jones has $15.5 remaining on his contract through 2012-13, but those final three seasons are only partially guaranteed if James is waived by June 30.

Waiving Jones would knock another $2.8 million off the Heat's salary cap for the 2010-11 season, giving them roughly $27 million to spend in free agency after July 1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5322877

Chieflion
06-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Guys, can we go to draft day chat? Damn it, why is ducks in there?

clubalien
06-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Nets consider moving down
By Adrian Wojnarowski and Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports
1 hour, 30 minutes ago

Email Print NEW YORK – New Jersey Nets general manager Rod Thorn remains uncertain whether he wants to hold onto the third pick to draft Derrick Favors and is aggressively entertaining trade bids, league sources said.

“Rod doesn’t love that spot right now,” a source with knowledge of the Nets’ thinking said. “He’s willing to get out of there and go down.”

The Detroit Pistons would love to get to No. 3 and draft Kentucky center DeMarcus Cousins, sources said, but the two teams haven’t been able to get anywhere on a possible package. The Pistons engaged Sacramento on the fifth spot, but Kings GM Geoff Petrie wants to take Cousins and keep him.

Detroit is no longer making calls to move up and is planning to use its pick at No. 7, league sources said. Georgetown’s Greg Monroe tops Ed Davis on the Pistons’ board.

Thorn plans to draft Favors, the Georgia Tech freshman, should he keep the pick. Nevertheless, Favors is still seen as a young prospect who will likely have to wait two years to develop into a productive player. For the right package, sources said Thorn would be willing to drop down and take Monroe or Baylor’s Epke Udoh.

spurs went out of their way to interview favors...
favors would like to play for spurs

i wonder if he would demand a trade like manning in nfl and kobe to lakers

angelbelow
06-24-2010, 06:02 PM
watching the preview right now

Brazil
06-24-2010, 06:03 PM
trolling has begun on the nba forum

Chieflion
06-24-2010, 06:04 PM
trolling has begun on the nba forum

It is not even trolling. It is just pathetic.

Dro210
Intro was sick!

ffadicted
Fuck, not home, I wonder if there will be any streams

SpursTillTheEnd
06-24-2010, 06:05 PM
76ers will draft favors but might trade him, hmm i smell spurs all over this

Chieflion
06-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Fuck, not home, I wonder if there will be any streams

Just sent you one.

DPG21920
06-24-2010, 06:09 PM
I find it hilarious that Chad Ford says TP or Hill is gone by Thursday yet is talking about who the Spurs will pick at #20. lol

angelbelow
06-24-2010, 06:10 PM
yea gilbert is probably out.

NewJerSpur
06-24-2010, 06:10 PM
I honestly don't know much about the college ranks, so I love coming to the forum to get a better idea of what we're getting ourselves into outside of the 2-second breakdown given after each pick, even if this info conflicts at times, lol.....actually makes it that much more fun to read.

ace3g
06-24-2010, 06:11 PM
JVG said that Mike Miller might be expendable now with Hinrich going to Washington, maybe the Spurs could somehow get him in a trade

ffadicted
06-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Granger + 10th for Yi + Harris + 3rd is the buzz

crc21209
06-24-2010, 06:14 PM
JVG said that Mike Miller might be expendable now with Hinrich going to Washington, maybe the Spurs could somehow get him in a trade

Mike Miller would be pretty badass...better than the shooters we had on the team last year...

Chieflion
06-24-2010, 06:14 PM
"The Clippers are at the 8th pick. It seems like they are always here."

scottspurs
06-24-2010, 06:15 PM

I'm pretty sure Mike Miller is already a FA.

ace3g
06-24-2010, 06:18 PM
chadfordinsider

Kevin Pritchard has been fired an hour before the draft? Wow! Jason Quick reports

benefactor
06-24-2010, 06:19 PM
chadfordinsider

Kevin Pritchard has been fired an hour before the draft? Wow! Jason Quick reports
lol

angelbelow
06-24-2010, 06:19 PM
damn it just hit me.. james and bosh sign with the heat... and then the heat can use bird rights to sign wade correct?

DPG21920
06-24-2010, 06:20 PM
:lmao at Pritch.

DPG21920
damn it just hit me.. james and bosh sign with the heat... and then the heat can use bird rights to sign wade correct?

No sir.

Libri
So who will come out with the crazy outfit? hehe

ajballer4
Intro was sick!

Cole Aldrich looked like an axe murderer when he was in the elevator

TheProfessor
06-24-2010, 06:21 PM
chadfordinsider

Non-issue.

angelbelow
06-24-2010, 06:23 PM
No sir.

lol thank goodness.. cause that would just be ridiculous

ace3g
06-24-2010, 06:23 PM
WojYahooNBA

Pacers want NJ to take Granger into cap space, and give them No. 3 pick. Nets don't want to take $10 million hit on summer room. Deal dying.

WojYahooNBA

The Pacers want a point guard, but sources say they aren't enthusiastic about taking back Devin Harris in trade. Larry Bird wants Favors.

ffadicted
06-24-2010, 06:24 PM
lol thank goodness.. cause that would just be ridiculous

lol they don't even need bird rights to sign the three guys, it's retarded

Chieflion
06-24-2010, 06:24 PM

I think they would have enough cap by July 8th to sign 3 max or near max FAs.

ace3g
06-24-2010, 06:25 PM
chadfordinsider

Pritchard will still be running the draft per Quick. He should select Omar Samhan at 22 before Paul Allen can stop him.

lefty
06-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Rachel Nichols just scared the shit out of me

angelbelow
06-24-2010, 06:27 PM
lol they don't even need bird rights to sign the three guys, it's retarded

thats not what i meant. i meant that they can use their cap space to sign james and bosh, and THEN use the bird rights that they have on WADE to sign him to a max contract since they will be over the cap. but now that i think about it since they didnt extend wade earlier that is probably not possible.

lmao i did not mean to make it sound like they had bird rights for all 3.

DPG21920
06-24-2010, 06:29 PM

I guess they would have enough room to do this if they cleared some more space....

ffadicted
06-24-2010, 06:29 PM
thats not what i meant. i meant that they can use their cap space to sign james and bosh, and THEN use the bird rights that they have on WADE to sign him to a max contract since they will be over the cap. but now that i think about it since they didnt extend wade earlier that is probably not possible.

I know you meant that. The heat have enough cap to sign the 3 guys and wouldn't even need bird rights if that was possible to do. They have enough cap room for Bosh Lebron and Wade lol

angelbelow
06-24-2010, 06:30 PM
I know you meant that. The heat have enough cap to sign the 3 guys and wouldn't even need bird rights if that was possible to do. They have enough cap room for Bosh Lebron and Wade lol

oh i see :p:

Mel_13
06-24-2010, 06:31 PM

Can't do that, specifically against the rules.

dbestpro
06-24-2010, 06:31 PM
I predict Wall will be the first pick selected.

Mel_13
06-24-2010, 06:32 PM

In that scenario, Wade would still be signed using his Bird Rights (one extra year and larger annual raises)

DPG21920
06-24-2010, 06:32 PM
They don't have enough cap room as things stand today to sign 3 max FA's, but they could. You can't use cap space to sign FA's then use Bird Rights. They don't allow that because it circumvents the rules.

ffadicted
06-24-2010, 06:33 PM
lol are they booing stern??

Libri
They're booing Stern, again. lol

lefty
FU Stern

mudyez
lol are they booing stern??

they do every year!

TheProfessor
06-24-2010, 06:34 PM
OK, Stern mocking Knicks' fans was pretty funny :lol

dbestpro
Stern gets booed when just walking down the sidewalk.

Spurs Brazil
chadfordinsider

lefty
Kwame :lmao

scottspurs
06-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Wizard select Brian Zoubek

widowmaker
HA everybody is booing Stern LOL

lefty
Spurs select Matt Bonner

TheProfessor
06-24-2010, 06:36 PM
WojYahooNBA: Paul Allen delivers a final, stunning, and ultimately vicious public humiliation of Kevin Pritchard: Firing him on draft night? Unreal.

timvp
06-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Let's get this ish started :hungry:

TIMMYD!
06-24-2010, 06:37 PM
No surprises here John Wall #1.

ffadicted
06-24-2010, 06:37 PM
surprise surprise lol

MannyIsGod
06-24-2010, 06:38 PM
They don't have enough cap room as things stand today to sign 3 max FA's, but they could. You can't use cap space to sign FA's then use Bird Rights. They don't allow that because it circumvents the rules.

Of course you could. You would basically have to renounce most of your players in order to do it because a FA still counts against the cap unless renounced but you most certainly could do this.

blkroadrunners
wtf w/ that hat

scottspurs
Now the draft begins

lefty
I predict Wall will be the first pick selected.
http://users.atw.hu/andreasz/o-rly.gif

MannyIsGod
06-24-2010, 06:39 PM

What rule is that?

angelbelow
06-24-2010, 06:40 PM
surprise surprise

Mel_13
06-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Of course you could. You would basically have to renounce most of your players in order to do it because a FA still counts against the cap unless renounced but you most certainly could do this.

Only if you have enough cap space for your entire payroll. You can't sign FAs using cap space and then end up over the salary cap.

DPG21920
06-24-2010, 06:41 PM

Mel_13
What rule is that?

The CBA.

angelbelow
lol they always boo stern. awesome.

MannyIsGod
06-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Only if you have enough cap space for your entire payroll. You can't sign FAs using cap space and then end up over the salary cap.

You could sign 2 max free agents as long as it keeps you under the cap and then use the bird rights on a 3rd to sign him to the max as well. Now yes, you have to be under the cap after the 2 max deals but not for the 3rd assuming bird rights. Then you fill out your roster with min deals.

MannyIsGod
06-24-2010, 06:43 PM
The CBA.

I'm not familiar with any part of the CBA that specifically prohibits this action but I'm not Bruno. Feel free to point it out though.

NewJerSpur
Don't get Knick fans booing the Lakers for beating their hated rival in the Finals, lol.

ffadicted
wow, another shocking selection

DPG21920
You would have to be under the cap enough for All 3 Manny.

lefty
Turneeeeeeeeeer !!!

He is good :tu

ace3g
WojYahooNBA

Derrick Favors agent, Wallace Prather, still hasn't been told if the Nets are drafting his client.

MavDynasty
turner..surprise surprise

scottspurs
Evan Turner is gonna be Scottie Pippen

Juanobili
No surprises yet

angelbelow
06-24-2010, 06:44 PM
What rule is that?

its makes sense, because in order to use the bird rights, they have to sign him through an extension right? and that has to occur before july 1st?

im not too familiar with the rules so please correct me guys but thats my current understanding

ffadicted
Turner > Wall

Mel_13
You could sign 2 max free agents as long as it keeps you under the cap and then use the bird rights on a 3rd to sign him to the max as well. Now yes, you have to be under the cap after the 2 max deals but not for the 3rd assuming bird rights. Then you fill out your roster with min deals.

You're wrong.

29. Can a team sign all the free agents it wants (up to the cap limit) and THEN re-sign its own free agents using the Bird exception?

Yes, but there's a restriction. A team's free agents continue to count as team salary (against the salary cap). This charge is called the "free agent amount." So there may not be enough money under the cap to sign another team's free agent, because the team's own free agents are taking up all their cap room.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q29

mudyez
06-24-2010, 06:45 PM
what happened to the Washington Generals? Thought they would get the first pick? They are always loosing but dont get it?

MannyIsGod
06-24-2010, 06:46 PM
You would have to be under the cap enough for All 3 Manny.

No, you don't. You need to be under the cap for the 2 (including the amount that the 3rd FA counts against the cap) but you can def end up over the cap with the 3rd signing assuming bird rights.

bigdog
Interesting to see what happens in these next few picks.

MannyIsGod
You're wrong.

29. Can a team sign all the free agents it wants (up to the cap limit) and THEN re-sign its own free agents using the Bird exception?

Yes, but there's a restriction. A team's free agents continue to count as team salary (against the salary cap). This charge is called the "free agent amount." So there may not be enough money under the cap to sign another team's free agent, because the team's own free agents are taking up all their cap room.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q29

I'm not wrong. I specifically spoke about that above. Thats why they renounce those free agents in order to clear the cap space.

DPG21920
06-24-2010, 06:47 PM
No, you don't. You need to be under the cap for the 2 (including the amount that the 3rd FA counts against the cap) but you can def end up over the cap with the 3rd signing assuming bird rights.

Yes, but there is a cap hold. It is the same thing as being under enough, because the cap hold raises your salary up to that point.

You are wrong about this.

Mel_13

No, you can't.

I gave you the link.

angelbelow
lol who the fuck cares how doug felt as a #1 pick. fucking stuart scott

Mel_13
I'm not wrong. I specifically spoke about that above. Thats why they renounce those free agents in order to clear the cap space.

smh

ffadicted
06-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Favaaahs

scottspurs
06-24-2010, 06:49 PM
How long is Favors a net?

Brazil
06-24-2010, 06:50 PM
favors to the nets

MannyIsGod
I'm not wrong because the hold on the cap can be LESS than a max contract.

lefty
Minesotta will probaby pick Wesley Johnson

angelbelow
06-24-2010, 06:51 PM
didnt know he was 18

NewJerSpur
06-24-2010, 06:51 PM
lol who the fuck cares how doug felt as a #1 pick. fucking stuart scott

Listen bruh, just give the ball to Michael and.....well, you know the rest.

lefty
06-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Wesley Johnson is going to Minny

SpursTillTheEnd
06-24-2010, 06:53 PM
my bad i didnt mean the 76ers i meant the nets they will trade favors just watch.

Booharv
Minesotta will probaby pick Wesley Johnson

Probably Cousins since they already have two centers.

lefty
Probably Cousins since they already have two centers.
Good point

angelbelow
damn speed this shit up =)

lefty
06-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Called it:D

ffadicted
JAwnsssonnnn

scottspurs
No surprises yet

BadMotorscooter
I agree with everyone who says Turner over Wall. When a guy like Kobe Bryant says that Turner is the real deal and that he would pick him 1st if he was in charge says enough for me. One of the best in the game to ever play the SG spot and respects your game....people better take notice. Turner is gonna do damage.

Mel_13
I'm not wrong because the hold on the cap can be LESS than a max contract.

Let it go.

At the end of the day, a team that uses cap space to sign FAs can't end over the salary cap for that season. That's black and white CBA law.

Think about it. Why is Miami giving away assets to get a few million more in cap space? They already had enough for two max deals. If what you're saying is true, they would just sign two max FAs with cap space and then sign Wade with Bird rights. Since they CAN'T do that, they're trying to create enough cap room for three max contracts.

angelbelow
unprofessional imo

lefty
06-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Cousins @ Sacramento

TheProfessor
unprofessional imo
What, the pants?

loveforthegame
Cousins @ Sacramento

I hope so. :king

lefty
unprofessional imo
Kobe dresses well but he is a raper

SpursTillTheEnd
cousins will be this years dejuan blair no jinks

scottspurs
06-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Cousins probably next

lefty
06-24-2010, 06:56 PM
I hope so. :king
You want Udoh @ GS ?

angelbelow
06-24-2010, 06:57 PM
What, the pants?

yup lol

ffadicted
:sleep:sleep

DPG21920
Spurs, what are you going to do? Nobody knows.

MannyIsGod
06-24-2010, 06:58 PM

Let it go.

Can a hold be less than the max or not? Its really that easy.

At the end of the day, a team that uses cap space to sign FAs can't end over the salary cap for that season. That's black and white CBA law.

Think about it. Why is Miami giving away assets to get a few million more in cap space? They already had enough for two max deals. If what you're saying is true, they would just sign two max FAs with cap space and then sign Wade with Bird rights. Since they CAN'T do that, they're trying to create enough cap room for three max contracts.

Wade's hold may be equal to the max but that doesn't mean thats the only situation possible.

lefty
Pick Matt Bonner

DPG21920
Manny, this is very common knowledge. You are wrong, but it appears that unless Bruno tells you, you won't believe it.

angelbelow
Off realgm:

07:42 PM: RUMOR: The Columbian's Brian T. Smith reports that the Blazers interviewed both R.C. Buford and Sam Presti.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/#ixzz0romudqG4

MannyIsGod
06-24-2010, 06:59 PM

Sign someone no one has ever heard of and stash him overseas. Fast forward a few years and he hasn't cracked the rotation and people will be very upset on this board.

Oh wait, that was Ian Mahimni.

scottspurs
Off realgm:

07:42 PM: RUMOR: The Columbian's Brian T. Smith reports that the Blazers interviewed both R.C. Buford and Sam Presti.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/#ixzz0romudqG4

The blazers must be obsessed with the Spurs.

MannyIsGod
Manny, this is very common knowledge. You are wrong, but it appears that unless Bruno tells you, you won't believe it.

Can a hold be less than the max? Yes or no.

TheProfessor
yup lol
Come on, that's this draft's highlight so far :lol

DPG21920
I really hope they trade out of the first round if things go according to most mocks...

scottspurs
06-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Cuzins

ffadicted
no surprises here again

Booharv
Cousins will be the best player from this draft.

MannyIsGod
I really hope they trade out of the first round if things go according to most mocks...

I hope they select Hobson just because I'm a Lobos homer now.

angelbelow
not a bad pick for the kings

angelbelow
06-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Come on, that's this draft's highlight so far :lol

Brazil
still no surprises

DPG21920
Cousins/Dalembert/Landry/Thompson for the Kings

scottspurs
Greg Monroe next if the Warriors are smart

TheProfessor
T-Wolves are going to regret this. You just know it.

lefty
06-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Udoh @ GS

Monroe @ Motown

DPG21920
06-24-2010, 07:03 PM
I hope they select Hobson just because I'm a Lobos homer now.

Uhhhhh. I kind of hope at least a guy like Damion James slips or something.

benefactor
T-Wolves are going to regret this. You just know it.
I was thinking the same thing.

BadMotorscooter
Utah is gonna make out like a bandit. All the talent they have and they also get the #8 pick.

MannyIsGod
Actually - I hope the Spurs select Landon Donovan.

Mel_13
06-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Can a hold be less than the max or not? Its really that easy.

Wade's hold may be equal to the max but that doesn't mean thats the only situation possible.

You're completely missing the only point that matters.

ALL payroll must fit under the salary cap for a team using cap space to sign FAs.

You can't sign FAs from another team using cap space and then use exceptions to wind up over the salary cap.

The current version of the CBA has been in effect since 2005. Point to one example where a team used cap space to sign a FA and then used exceptions to wind up over the cap. You will be unsuccessful because it is not allowed under the CBA.

Plain and simple.

DPG21920
If the draft is going to get interesting, this should be the point of the draft for surprises....lets start hoping some SF's get passed up.

Shastafarian
08:03 PM: RUMOR: Wojnarowski reports that the agent for Cousins would have made it clear his client didn't want to play for Golden State if Kings didn't pick him.

08:01 PM: RUMOR: The Warriors will select Ekpe Udoh, according to a source that spoke with Marc Spears.

loveforthegame
Greg Monroe next if the Warriors are smart

That's my hope too. Though I expect they'll take Udoh.

ffadicted
lol @ all these kids and the way they talk

TheProfessor
I was thinking the same thing.
chadfordinsider: Great pick for Kings. For a second straight year Kings may have the Rookie of the Year.

ace3g
daldridgetnt

Rasheed Wallace officially retiring. Story on NBA.com: http://bit.ly/d2UfcC

crc21209
06-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Wow I wasnt really sure if the Kings would go with Cousins there. I thought he would go to Detroit. The Kings are building a stacked frontline now with Dalembert, Cousins, Thompson, and Landry.

NewJerSpur
Come'on Cousins, you pay attention to the mocks; you didn't just break the lavender out for no reason, did you?

smrattler
Cousins is a seriously funny and spunky guy in interviews.

Turn it down a notch!

mudyez
cousins: "I'm a kid, that wants to have fun!"....not exactely what you want to hear, if you are the Kings! :)

angelbelow
lol @ all these kids and the way they talk

hahah thinking the same thing

DPG21920
06-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Take Udoh G.S.

Booharv
GS should pick Monroe but they'll pick Udoh.

lefty
I caaalllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it

DPG21920
06-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Nice....Biedrins is gone in G.S.

SpursTillTheEnd
baylor baby fuck a&m

scottspurs
Stupid pick unless they plan on trading Randolph. Pistons gonna pick Monroe.

crc21209
I still cant believe the Warriors took a defensive-minded guy. :lol

Booharv
lol 23 year old project

angelbelow
06-24-2010, 07:08 PM
daldridgetnt

Rasheed Wallace officially retiring. Story on NBA.com: http://bit.ly/d2UfcC

interesting

MannyIsGod
You're completely missing the only point that matters.

ALL payroll must fit under the salary cap for a team using cap space to sign FAs.

You can't sign FAs from another team using cap space and then use exceptions to wind up over the salary cap.

The current version of the CBA has been in effect since 2005. Point to one example where a team used cap space to sign a FA and then used exceptions to wind up over the cap. You will be unsuccessful because it is not allowed under the CBA.

Plain and simple.

I'm going to look later because this sounds totally and completely wrong to me but for now I'm going to go ahead and cry uncle, Bruno Jr.

We'll see though.

DPG21920
Stupid pick unless they plan on trading Randolph. Pistons gonna pick Monroe.

I think they move Biedrins and keep Randolph. Two better athletes and better fit. Offense and defense.

lefty
Monroe to Detroit

Aminu to LAC

Davis to Utah

Mel_13
06-24-2010, 07:09 PM
interesting

Surprised that he didn't force a buyout. Just retired and left 12M on the table.

ace3g
WojYahooNBA

The Pistons have decided to draft Georgetown's Greg Monroe with 7th pick, league source says.

TimDunkem
lol 23 year old project
So? He can pass, dribble, shoot the open jumper, face-up, play with his back to the basket, and block shots. He can contribute immediately..

hsxvvd
Monroe to Detroit

Aminu to LAC

Davis to Utah

shhh... your spoiling it....:lol

ace3g
06-24-2010, 07:10 PM
glad we got Dice instead, that would have been a wasted contract for Sheed