PDA

View Full Version : Shaq to the spurs??

Pages : [1] 2 3

JP le Requin
07-07-2010, 05:46 PM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/07/source-shaq-prefers-spurs-wants-to-play-two-more-seasons/

Play Two More Seasons
Comments
Say Something »
7/07/2010 6:00 PM ET By Chris Tomasson

PrintAText Size
EmailMore
Chris Tomasson
Senior NBA Writer
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Shaquille O'Neal's first choice is to join the San Antonio Spurs for one final run at a fifth NBA title, and he wants to play two more seasons before retiring, a source told FanHouse on Wednesday.

The source spent time Wednesday with O'Neal in the Orlando area, where the legendary free-agent center makes his offseason home.

The source said O'Neal said the Spurs and Atlanta are at the top of his list since there is interest with those teams on both sides. FanHouse's Tim Povtak reported Monday the link between O'Neal and the Hawks, and there were indications from San Antonio on Wednesday that the Spurs do indeed have interest.

O'Neal also is interested in Boston but the source said he realizes the Celtics don't have much interest in him. A source confirmed to Povtak on Wednesday that, while the Celtics have great respect for Shaq, he would disrupt their chemistry.

"He'd really like to go to San Antonio and team with Timmy (Duncan), and try to win one more title,'' said the source about O'Neal, who starred in high school in San Antonio.

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford declined comment.

The source said O'Neal, 38, plans to play two more seasons and then retire. He wants there to be a farewell tour in 2011-12, which he expects would be his 20th and final NBA season.

"He wants to sign a two-year deal,'' the source said about O'Neal, who made $21 million last season with Cleveland. "And then the second year will be a farewell tour. He can tell a team that you would sell out all 41 games (that season).''

That strategy might come in more handy with the future Hall of Famer possibly trying to convince Atlanta to offer him more than the midlevel exception of about $5.8 million. While the source said O'Neal would go to San Antonio for the midlevel, he said his preference if he joined the Hawks would be to get more money than that. The Hawks would need to make a move to have more than the midlevel, with one possibility trying to do a sign-and-trade with the Cavaliers.

One thing is for sure: the source said Shaq won't return to Cleveland.

"He thought it was OK,'' the source said of the one season O'Neal spent with LeBron James there. "But he won't be back.''

The source said O'Neal, who won titles with the Lakers in 2000, 2001 and 2002 and Miami in 2006, looked Wednesday to be in "good shape'' and that O'Neal still looks as if could contribute to a championship team. The source said O'Neal is going to let the free agency process play out and doesn't expect any deal to get done immediately. Players first can sign Thursday.

I really think SHAQ wants his 5th title...and not see duncan get it before him..so they can get it together...and moreover i think...if shaq can have opotunities to break arms's kobe..before he get his 6th ring...he will do it ;-)

DRIVE FOR FIVE!!!!!!
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag::flag::fl ag::flag::flag:

tdunk21
07-07-2010, 05:48 PM
prime shaq and prime timmy together would have been unstoppable....but aged shaq and timmy? i dont know...

ElNono
07-07-2010, 05:50 PM
http://humantestsubjects.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/facepalm.jpg

ElNono
http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/do-not-want.jpg

Sigz
lol no way

4down
07-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Neat idea... but defending the pick and roll is a bit higher on the priority list than selling out all the home games and opposing teams gyms a year from now.

Bruno
:hang

Brazil
http://humantestsubjects.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/facepalm.jpg

:lmao:lmao

Spurs Brazil
07-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Pass!!!!

8FOR!3
07-07-2010, 05:54 PM
I'd rather have Splitter over that fat POS.

lurker23
07-07-2010, 05:55 PM
I've said that I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Spurs signed a veteran big man for the minimum. Don't know that Shaq is really ready to take that little pay, nor the 10 mpg tops such a big would get after Duncan, Splitter (hopefully), Blair, and McDyess.

JP le Requin
07-07-2010, 05:56 PM
if oneal doesnt take a lot of money...and doesnt ask to be a starter...he could be good for 10-15 minutes in PO time.. i mean versus bosh, boozer, amare, garnett, yao ...a center 7 tall is always a center 7 tall at the end of a game..i mean he can produce good minutes for us...but sure musnt be expensive.

coyotes_geek
07-07-2010, 05:56 PM
If Shaq would take the league minimum I'd sign him.

.........and then I'd trade him to some crappy team just because I could.

ohmwrecker
07-07-2010, 05:58 PM
As long as he did not interfere with attaining Splitter and a solid SF, signed for the vet. min. and did not take minutes away from Blair . . . what am I saying?!

bigzak25
07-07-2010, 06:02 PM
If everything fell through with Splitter and Shaq was committed to being in the best shape he could get in, then the Spurs would have to seriously consider it.

Galileo
07-07-2010, 06:04 PM
he can help on free throws. The Spurs need help there.

coyotes_geek
07-07-2010, 06:05 PM
If everything fell through with Splitter and Shaq was committed to being in the best shape he could get in, then the Spurs would have to seriously consider it.

Sadly, you are 100% correct. They'd pretty much have to do it. Let us all pray that it doesn't come to that.

peacemaker885
07-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Shaq is 38 years old. I don't think he can get any healthier, especially with a lot of young guys out there. Having said that, a 7 footer is still a 7 footer. If he signs up for minimum, why not. He's funny.

ajh18
07-07-2010, 06:06 PM
If we CANT get splitter, than I'd consider it. He wants the midlevel or slightly below. thats only doable if splitter isnt coming.

DesignatedT
I would love a Duncan/Splitter/Blair/Shaq/Dice frontline. Would absolutely love it. Especially if it means Bonner won't come back. Shaq is still a great player to throw out there against guys like Bynum and Howard and those fouls could be useful.

Seventyniner
If Shaq would take the league minimum I'd sign him.
blank space omitted
.........and then I'd trade him to some crappy team just because I could.

:lmao
It was only a matter of time before this rumor started. At least nobody would call the Spurs "boring" anymore!

The ADMIRAL 50
07-07-2010, 06:08 PM
this would be another move made at the expense of the spurs future (d blairs development, complicating things with splitter, no resigning of mahinmi...whats the word on that front anyways?) with championship or bust written alll over it. that said, it would definitely make the spurs a better team next year no doubt. we have been lacking an actually legitimate center who isnt complete garbage since....damn...since a long time. probably nazr...and that was still just nazr.

ElNono
07-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Just the thought we might be looking to pick between Bonner or Shaq made me puke a little bit...

ElNono
07-07-2010, 06:09 PM
this would be another move made at the expense of the spurs future (d blairs development, complicating things with splitter, no resigning of mahinmi...whats the word on that front anyways?) with championship or bust written alll over it. that said, it would definitely make the spurs a better team next year no doubt. we have been lacking an actually legitimate center who isnt complete garbage since....damn...since a long time. probably nazr...and that was still just nazr.

Have you watched Shaq play since basically 2006?

The ADMIRAL 50
07-07-2010, 06:11 PM
yea, and would you rather have all 7 feet of him or matt bonner starting @ C every night?

ohmwrecker
There is the major upside of No Bonner if we sign Shaq.

ElNono
yea, and would you rather have all 7 feet of him or matt bonner starting @ C every night?

I would rather have neither really...

xmas1997
07-07-2010, 06:13 PM
It would be funny to see actually. But do the Spurs have more money at their disposal than the MLE after Jefferson opted out? Because I thought Splitter was getting the bulk of the MLE. Would Shaq take the LLE? Do we even have the LLE to spend this year?

coyotes_geek
07-07-2010, 06:13 PM
I would love a Duncan/Splitter/Blair/Shaq/Dice frontline. Would absolutely love it. Especially if it means Bonner won't come back. Shaq is still a great player to throw out there against guys like Bynum and Howard and those fouls could be useful.

Damn you. Your logic is shaking the foundation of my hate. The Spurs do need some legitimate size at C. Even with Splitter.

SpursTillTheEnd
07-07-2010, 06:14 PM
what if they pull the hack-a-shaq on us? but naw ill pass on this, when shaq was in high school here in sa he used to ball with my uncle over at the projects

ElNono
In a way, I shouldn't really worry. He's been barely able to play last season (50 something games IIRC). That should give plenty of minutes to the other guys.

DesignatedT
Fact that were showing interest in guys like Splitter and Shaq just makes me happier. Hopefully we are done with this "stretch 5" era. A Duncan/Splitter/Blair/Dice/Shaq front court would be great IMO. Especially when you let guys like Splitter and Blair learn from the 2 most dominant big man of the last decade.

I am not lobbying that Shaq should start or really even get major minutes but there are times when his big body and championship experience is very useful. If he is willing to come here and help mentor our young guys and be the 4th-5th big on our roster than im all for it.

coyotes_geek
07-07-2010, 06:16 PM
It would be funny to see actually. But do the Spurs have more money at their disposal than the MLE after Jefferson opted out? Because I thought Splitter was getting the bulk of the MLE. Would Shaq take the LLE? Do we even have the LLE to spend this year?

You certainly don't let Shaq screw with landing Splitter. IF the Spurs have any interest at all, the deal put in front of Shaq is LLE or league minimum, take it or leave it. Probably league minimum since the LLE should be spent on a SF, regardless of what happens with RJ or a S&T resulting therefrom.

peacemaker885
Are we going to see more of that Parker - Shaq action during the 2008(?) All-Star games?

coachmac87
I wouldnt mind to add Shaq for depth....I mean ya we would be stacked on depth in our frontline. It turns into a strentgh unlike last year when it was a weakness. Eh probably not the best intrest for the team, but like they said..it would make a great story and bring more attention to the team.

The ADMIRAL 50
07-07-2010, 06:17 PM
There is the major upside of No Bonner if we sign Shaq.

exactly. we just cant give popovich the opportunity to start him alongside timmy d night after night, because god knows he will

ElNono
07-07-2010, 06:17 PM
You certainly don't let Shaq screw with landing Splitter. IF the Spurs have any interest at all, the deal put in front of Shaq is LLE or league minimum, take it or leave it. Probably league minimum since the LLE should be spent on a SF, regardless of what happens with RJ or a S&T resulting therefrom.

Yeah, the MLE is pretty much allocated. You can also prod the big cactus ego to sign for less to have a shot at catching Kobe with 5 rings...

timtonymanurich
07-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Damn you. Your logic is shaking the foundation of my hate. The Spurs do need some legitimate size at C. Even with Splitter. <---------------
:lol :rollin :lmao:lol:rollin:lmao:lol:rollin

SpursTillTheEnd
07-07-2010, 06:19 PM
did yall watch the playoffs this year? shaq was getting killed by noah

timtonymanurich
07-07-2010, 06:21 PM
um did yall watch the playoffs this year? shaq was getting killed by noah

I'll worry about Jack-me Noah if the Bulls play the Spurs in the Finals. Until then Spurs play the Bulls 2x per season and... and .... I ran out of reasons to care about Joakim Noah Dude is the FUGLIEST man in the NBA.

ElNono
07-07-2010, 06:23 PM
When you start considering an absolutely washed up and over the hill Shaq a good option, what does that says about you and your team? :depressed

Holt's Cat
07-07-2010, 06:24 PM
2 year vet minimum contract as the 5th big for 8-10 minutes a night wouldn't be bad.

Of course, I'd prefer at this point that they would re-sign Mahinmi and actually play him.

Starters
4 Duncan
5 Splitter

Bench
4/5 McDyess
4 Blair
5 O'Neal

I'd rather see that than the Red Rocket super hoagie aficionado back for 3 years and $10 mil again.

xmas1997
07-07-2010, 06:25 PM
I bet he would come here for the LLE if for no other reason than to win ring number 5 and thwart Kobe. But he would have to hug the Admiral before the first game of the season.
It have to be written into his contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coyotes_geek
07-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Yeah, the MLE is pretty much allocated. You can also prod the big cactus ego to sign for less to have a shot at catching Kobe with 5 rings...

Yep. That's going to be a pretty compelling case for him too. Two years, league minimum gets you a center who would love nothing more than to stick it to your biggest rival. All the Spurs would probably have to do is let Shaq get his name announced as their "starter" just to satisfy his ego, and then he'd probably even be okay with 15-20 minutes a night. Maybe even less than that.

Ugh. I HATE Shaq, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

rayray2k8
07-07-2010, 06:31 PM
I'd rather have Splitter over that fat POS.

Pretty much the idea. You want to use the MLE to get Splitter or Shaq?

timtonymanurich
07-07-2010, 06:32 PM
he can help on free throws. The Spurs need help there.

:lol:lmao:rollin:lol:lmao:rollin

coyotes_geek
07-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Pretty much the idea. You want to use the MLE to get Splitter or Shaq?

No one here is suggesting that the Spurs get shaq instead of Splitter, or that the Spurs give one nickel of their MLE to him.

As far as I'm concerined it's league min or nothing, with it made abundantly clear to him that Splitter is coming and he's going to get significant playing time.

Gooshie
07-07-2010, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't take Shaq over Splitter outright, but what if we signed Shaq with part of the MLE, and then packaged Splitter's rights for a small forward? For instance - Sign and Trade for Mike Miller?? Or Luol Deng?? Or Batum?? Don't forget we also have a potential RJ sign and trade as well - we would have a ton of options.

If I were the Spurs, and I could upgrade the center position AND the small forward position, I would at least have to consider it.

Holt's Cat
07-07-2010, 06:34 PM
He would add to the list of legendary NBA bigmen who have played for the silver & black:

David Robinson
Tim Duncan
Artis Gilmore
Moses Malone

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2010, 06:35 PM
I love Shaq, so I'm not going to be mad if the Spurs acquire him, but it wouldn't be a good signing with the way the Spurs are currently built..

-The Spurs frontcourt is already slow..while Splitter is going to add mobility, he's not athletic enough to change everything..Duncan is extremely slow at this point, Blair is slow defensively, and McDyess is slow..adding Shaq makes this team even slower, which is something they can't afford at this point..

-Shaq would absolutely have to be a bench player, obviously..he's still a good scoring option as a 4th big man while playing 10-15 MPG..would his ego accept that?..

-Shaq is still a very good defender in the post in 1 on 1 situations, but he's a horrible team defender at this point..the Spurs' perimeter defenders are weak right now, so this would expose him even more..

So overall, I wouldn't want him right now, the Spurs frontcourt is too slow as it is..if they shipped McDyess off in a trade, then I'd listen, but as of right now, it wouldn't make sense IMO..

The Spurs need some mobility for their 5th big..

I. Hustle
I'd do it. Hell I bet it would put some butts in seats.

Holt's Cat
I wouldn't take Shaq over Splitter outright, but what if we signed Shaq with part of the MLE, and then packaged Splitter's rights for a small forward? For instance - Sign and Trade for Mike Miller?? Or Luol Deng?? Or Batum?? Don't forget we also have a potential RJ sign and trade as well - we would have a ton of options.

If I were the Spurs, and I could upgrade the center position AND the small forward position, I would at least have to consider it.

You sign Shaq with the LLE or vet minimum exception.

angelbelow
For the minimum it couldnt hurt. hes a team/chemistry guy.

xmas1997
Nope the most I would go is the LLE which he might take. His ego and ass is too big to accept the vet minimum.

coyotes_geek
07-07-2010, 06:39 PM
I love Shaq, so I'm not going to be mad if the Spurs acquire him, but it wouldn't be a good signing with the way the Spurs are currently built..

-The Spurs frontcourt is already slow..while Splitter is going to add mobility, he's not athletic enough to change everything..Duncan is extremely slow at this point, Blair is slow defensively, and McDyess is slow..adding Shaq makes this team even slower, which is something they can't afford at this point..

-Shaq would absolutely have to be a bench player, obviously..he's still a good scoring option as a 4th big man while playing 10-15 MPG..would his ego accept that?..

-Shaq is still a very good defender in the post in 1 on 1 situations, but he's a horrible team defender at this point..the Spurs' perimeter defenders are weak right now, so this would expose him even more..

So overall, I wouldn't want him right now, the Spurs frontcourt is too slow as it is..if they shipped McDyess off in a trade, then I'd listen, but as of right now, it wouldn't make sense IMO..

Valid concerns, but for vet min/LLE it's not like you're going to find an athletic big who can step into the Spurs rotation and change anything.

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Valid concerns, but for vet min/LLE it's not like you're going to find an athletic big who can step into the Spurs rotation and change anything.

Like I said, I wouldn't be mad..I don't mind any signings for the vet minimum, the reward is always higher than the risk..seeing Shaq and Duncan on the same team would be amazing, even if it's just for nostalgia reasons, I just have my doubts on whether it would work or not..

Seeing Shaq/Duncan winning vs. Kobe and the Lakers would be priceless, and I do love the idea of him guarding Bynum or even Gasol for 10 mins..

lotr1trekkie
07-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Why is this guy planning a farewell tour? I have always felt after Kobe won #5 that Shaq wanted one more,especially if it kept him even with Tim. Not a bad idea if he comes for the minimum. Imagine Blair and him on a second unit. Yes, he is funny and would be a kind of a homecoming.

alchemist
07-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Shaq is a huge body no matter how old he is. If the price is right I would love for him to play for us.

Drz
07-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Hell I bet it would put some butts in seats.
Based on the 116 currently active user viewing this thread, I am inclined to agree.

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2010, 07:10 PM
There's no doubt about that..

Shaq will always be one of the biggest names in sports, no matter how old he is..his name will always draw interest..

Seventyniner
07-07-2010, 07:11 PM
My hate for Shaq has lessened with his relevance. For the min, sure, why not. It would give Shaq a chance to ask Kobe how his ass tastes if the Spurs knock out the Lakers.

rmt
07-07-2010, 07:15 PM
I'd love to have him for the vet's min or even the LLE. It's been so long since the Spurs had a legit 7 foot center. Play him sparingly and rest him for the playoffs. He'd be great against Gasol/Bynum and very motivated playing against LAL.

Wasn't Shaq the reason why Cleveland did so well against LA last year?

And it would mean - NO BONNER!

Spursfan 87
07-07-2010, 07:30 PM
I like the fact that he wants to play here and I’m not opposed completely to this, because in the playoff you win with size. A front court of Duncan/Splitter/Shaq/Blair/Dice would be pretty awesome. But, is Shaq willing to come off the bench to be our 4th or 5th big and accept a minimum contract? Thats the question.

benefactor
07-07-2010, 07:37 PM
I never thought I'd see the day when Shaq had the Spurs on his list. Strange offseason indeed.

Mr. Body
07-07-2010, 07:40 PM
This is actually kind of intriguing.

ElNono
07-07-2010, 07:44 PM
I like the fact that he wants to play here and I’m not opposed completely to this, because in the playoff you win with size.

That's provided that you can pry him off Taco Cabana by the time the playoffs roll around...

I kid, I kid! :lol

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 07:45 PM
So people have concerns about guys like Mason and Bonner either not being the good soldier or being utilized too much but don't have those same concerns with Shaq?

ElNono
07-07-2010, 07:46 PM
So people have concerns about guys like Mason and Bonner either not being the good soldier or being utilized too much but don't have those same concerns with Shaq?

He won't be asked to shoot 3s...

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 07:49 PM
He won't be asked to shoot 3s...

Ya gotta point. ... Ya gotta point. :lol

But what if Shaq's benched for the Bonner replacement?

That's a good question. ... That's a good question. :hat

ohmwrecker
07-07-2010, 07:51 PM

What replacement? Brian Scalabrine?

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Yes to bigs like 80 year old Shaq and no to bigs like Bonner.

ElNono
07-07-2010, 07:55 PM

You mean like Shaq getting potential Splitter/Blair minutes?
I'm not really concerned. Like I said earlier, at this stage he probably can barely play 50 games a season, and playing anything more than 20 minutes is probably beyond his reach.

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 07:56 PM
What replacement? Brian Scalabrine?

A little bit. ... A little bit.

Sure, why the hell not. I think we're safe with him on the team as long as Bonner's gone. As has been mentioned, them sharing the same uniform and same court has to be avoided at all cost for fear of the inevitable cataclysmic event.

Obstructed_View
07-07-2010, 07:58 PM
I was prepared to switch teams if the Spurs had signed Karl Malone, but I could root for Shaq if he gets into shape and shows some commitment to winning another title.

ElNono
07-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Did I just talked myself into accepting Shaq in a span of 3 hours?

That was quick.

baseline bum
07-07-2010, 08:01 PM
I'd rather have Bonner. Seriously. Shaq's career is over.

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 08:03 PM
You mean like Shaq getting potential Splitter/Blair minutes?
I'm not really concerned. Like I said earlier, at this stage he probably can barely play 50 games a season, and playing anything more than 20 minutes is probably beyond his reach.

Nah, I was just screwin' around. Imagine that, Blackjack screwin' around. People don't know it but I don't always take myself too seriously. I can take my hair down and get "jiggy" with it, or so those crazy, wacky kids like to say -- somewhere along the way I lost my way and haven't a clue what the hell I'm talking about ... so, yeah. Oh, that's right. Shaq.

Me no want. Me no see how he fit with Tim, role or in the grand scheme of things. Me not believe he's okay with being the fourth or fifth Big. Me skeptical that he wouldn't turn into the same kind of cancer he's been in his last stops.

Me love Shaq and wish me could want him to finish back at home where it all started but me -- the guy fascinated with saying "me" all of a sudden -- me don't want . . .

Obstructed_View
07-07-2010, 08:03 PM

Dude, you couldn't just ask for neither?

rmt
07-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Since we don't know if Splitter's coming over or how he'll match up against the elite centers, Shaq would be a great signing for LLE. Who else can hold their own (size wise) against Gasol/Bynum/Howard? Since Duncan's lost weight (to help with his knees), he's been pushed around in the post. Shaq would help with this.

Doesn't Shaq also play very well against Howard?

ElNono
07-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Nah, I was just screwin' around. Imagine that, Blackjack screwin' around. People don't know it but I don't always take myself too seriously. I can take my hair down and get "jiggy" with it, or so those crazy, wacky kids like to say -- somewhere along the way I lost my way and haven't a clue what the hell I'm talking about ... so, yeah. Oh, that's right. Shaq.

Me no want. Me no see how he fit with Tim, role or in the grand scheme of things. Me not believe he's okay with being the fourth or fifth Big. Me skeptical that he wouldn't turn into the same kind of cancer he's been in his last stops.

Me love Shaq and wish me could want him to finish back at home where it all started but me -- the guy fascinated with saying "me" all of a sudden -- me don't want . . .

I believe you. If you were to ask me on the spot, I would say NO WAY JOSE!
But then you start to rationalize it, get back those horrendous flashbacks of a red haired man launching bricks that destroy the side of the rim, the inevitable hands-up-walking-backwards-while-ref-whistles-for-a-and1 memories, and you hesitate... you know what I'm sayin'?

Manu20
07-07-2010, 08:10 PM

How about D non of the above

Cane
07-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Shaq's only worth it if you're in the East since he can still single cover Dwight Howard.

Dex
07-07-2010, 08:13 PM
I personally don't think it will happen, but I'm even amazed that Shaq would consider San Antonio. He's always seemed to have a chip on his shoulder with David and this organization.

Is this just posturing, or could there seriously be gears turning on this?

ElNono
07-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Is this just posturing, or could there seriously be gears turning on this?

I think he's testing the waters... I can't think the FO would offer him more than vet min...

Dex
07-07-2010, 08:14 PM
P.S. if the Spurs have the MLE to spend on Shaq (or anybody else), then something is terribly wrong.

Thomas82
07-07-2010, 08:17 PM

This post seems like deja veau....I could have sworn I read this exact same post from you a year or 2 ago.

rmt
07-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Shaq's only worth it if you're in the East since he can still single cover Dwight Howard.

So, I guess I'm dreaming to think the Spurs could get by LA and face the Magic in the Finals. If he can still single cover Dwight Howard, then he can single cover Gasol or Bynum. He's a better choice for that than Blair or Dice. Splitter's still an unknown.

Spursfan092120
07-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I say bring him in. He knows we don't have shit for money, and he said he wants to come here. That means he's willing to play for less money. We need a presence under the basket, and he's definitely that. Let's get Timmy and Shaq another ring...

Cane
07-07-2010, 08:27 PM
So, I guess I'm dreaming to think the Spurs could get by LA and face the Magic in the Finals. If he can still single cover Dwight Howard, then he can single cover Gasol or Bynum. He's a better choice for that than Blair or Dice. Splitter's still an unknown.

No, Howard's offense and fouling tendencies are laughably bad compared to Gasol and Bynum in the playoffs. All you need is a big body and someone thats competent on 1v1 defense to handle and frustrate Dwight Howard. However bigs are rare in the current market so I see him going to the East since Howard's there and many teams need a 5 in the East.

Howard also isn't that great playing against taller/bigger players, even has-beens like Shaq. Howard gets into foul trouble too easy and becomes inconsistent when playing against bigger players and both Gasol and Bynum don't have as exploitable of weaknesses.

Duncan and Dice can handle Howard should they meet in the Finals and the last time they met, Howard melted down in San Antonio. Duncan's more of a center on defense nowadays anyway.

JoeChalupa
07-07-2010, 08:29 PM
I'd be okay with this if the deal can get done.

EricB
07-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Bring him in as a bench big.

slick'81
07-07-2010, 08:37 PM
he actually played well last season down the stretch before getting hurt so i cant say i wouldnt want him in sa

Chillen
07-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Sure Shaq has aged but he is still a great free agent signing if he wants to play for the Spurs, it would help the Spurs down in the paint which can't be a bad thing.

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 08:38 PM
I believe you. If you were to ask me on the spot, I would say NO WAY JOSE!
But then you start to rationalize it, get back those horrendous flashbacks of a red haired man launching bricks that destroy the side of the rim, the inevitable hands-up-walking-backwards-while-ref-whistles-for-a-and1 memories, and you hesitate... you know what I'm sayin'?

Unfortunately, yes ... yes I do. :depressed

But if I can be serious for a minute (and I'll try real hard), though Shaq would be an upgrade and a step in the right direction after being made to bear witness to the Bonner Era -- and it was noteable enough to have its own era (even if for all the wrong reasons) -- aren't we just settling for better and not what's best?

I mean, could you honestly see Shaq not putting undue pressure on the coaching staff for not getting minutes or forcing the Spurs to play Tim and he together when the opposition's front line just won't allow it? And do you really think that he'd be a better presence in the locker room under such a circumstance as players like Mason and Finley who were never the player he was and have nowhere near the pull or gravitas of a Shaq?

I don't think there's any question that he has the ability still to help someone in the right role and if he's willing to curb the ego and truly sacrifice for the team, but in a lot of ways you could've said the same for Iverson the last couple of years. He could've really helped some teams as a 6th Man but he was just too great -- not too long ago -- and still too proud to accept that kind of a role. And even though some will try to say Shaq's a better, more likable guy than AI, that pride's still the same and Shaq's not coming to ride the coattails of anyone to the tune of third or fourth string.

I truly do love Shaq. I believe he's been great for the game and has become a joy to watch and listen to as he's aged and become wiser and more humble off the court. But I just can't see him being the good soldier and being used enough to justify his presence. He's just not a fit, IMO, and it has nothing to do with his skill.

daslicer
07-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I think if the spurs get him and Splitter it would be just enough to get the spurs by the lakers but the problem is he would be useless against any of the other top teams. Against the Lakers he could take out Bynum considering he pretty much got the better of Bynum in both games this year. Despite his old age he was able to get Bynum in foul trouble and also on defense Bynum can't post him up due to his huge size and thus is negated. A big man group of Duncan,Shaq,Dice,Splitter,Blair definitely could stop the Gasol,Bynum,Odom trio from getting tons of rebounds which is the key to beating the lakers.

gospursgojas
07-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Id take shaq for 10mpg @ the vet min

ohmwrecker
07-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Id take shaq for 10mpg @ the vet min

Then at the trade deadline we can trade him to Charlotte for a conditional 2nd round draft pick in 2025.

ElNono
07-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I truly do love Shaq. I believe he's been great for the game and has become a joy to watch and listen to as he's aged and become wiser and more humble off the court. But I just can't see him being the good soldier and being used enough to justify his presence. He's just not a fit, IMO, and it has nothing to do with his skill.

I see your point, and mostly agree. If the options were 1)Bonner 2)Shaq and 3) none of the above, then I would embrace 3 in an instant. Unfortunately, if the Spurs truly have intentions of going after the red rocket, as his agent suggested, and you turn this into either 1) or 2), then I have no problem starting to rationalize all the stuff we've been rationalizing for the past 4 or 5 hours... :lol

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Spurs fans are letting the old hatred blind them. Shaq for the LLE or lower would be a nice pickup. Especially when the alternative is Red Rocket Bonner.

alchemist
07-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Shaq 2 year deal, Tim/Shaq retire with 6 rings a piece :wow :toast

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 08:52 PM
I see your point, and mostly agree. If the options were 1)Bonner 2)Shaq and 3) none of the above, then I would embrace 3 in an instant. Unfortunately, if the Spurs truly have intentions of going after the red rocket, as his agent suggested, and you turn this into either 1) or 2), then I have no problem starting to rationalize all the stuff we've been rationalizing for the past 4 or 5 hours... :lol

And if nothing else, it would be pretty enjoyable to have the Big Quotation around.

Aww ... what the hell! Bring on the Big Arroz con Pollo! (we're gonna have to work on the San Antonio nickname :hat)

ohmwrecker
07-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Spurs fans are letting the old hatred blind them. Shaq for the LLE or lower would be a nice pickup. Especially when the alternative is Red Rocket Bonner.

Absolutely. However, I did read in one of the articles that Shaq wanted the MLE from the Spurs and more than the MLE from the Hawks.

SpursTillTheEnd
in my opinion shaq would be worse then bonner at this point but fuck na mean if were wining and shaq is on this team maybe people will stop saying the spurs are boring

Thomas82
And if nothing else, it would be pretty enjoyable to have the Big Quotation around.

Aww ... what the hell! Bring on the Big Arroz con Pollo! (we're gonna have to work on the San Antonio nickname :hat)

He would probably call himself The Big Alamo or something crazy like that.

ohmwrecker
07-07-2010, 08:56 PM

The Big Cabron!

silverblk mystix
I never liked Shaq...most of the time I hated him ...

last coupla' years...didn't mind him so much...

...but IF getting Shaq means losing BONNER....

I guess I will find myself rooting for Shaq....the world is getting really weird....

Marcus Bryant
Absolutely. However, I did read in one of the articles that Shaq wanted the MLE from the Spurs and more than the MLE from the Hawks.

Then pass.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Of course, if this is the Spurs' idea of creating leverage w/Splitter's representatives...

TD 21
07-07-2010, 09:00 PM
This has nothing to do with hatred (I've never been a fan, but I don't hate O'Neal), this has to do with fit and logistics.

He'd be a terrible fit. He's immobile and has no shooting range, two problem areas for this front court already.

Too many people think this is a video game. "For 10 mpg at the LLE"? It doesn't work like that. There's his larger than life personality, his massive ego (he wouldn't start or finish games on this team, how do you think that would sit with him?), the fact that Pop would feel the pressure to play him more than he should because he's one of the all-time greats, etc. Too many probable issues. Even in the event those issues were overcome, like I said, he's a terrible fit.

Then there's the logistics. The only way the Spurs could afford him would be if they didn't sign Splitter. Who in their right mind would rather have O'Neal than Splitter at this point in their careers? So even if you're open to signing O'Neal, you shouldn't be rooting for it to happen.

Not only do I not think the Spurs would sign him even if Splitter wasn't signed, I don't even think they'd waste time seriously entertaining the possibility.

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Pretty much, TD. Pretty much. :tu

BlairForceDejuan
07-07-2010, 09:07 PM
http://www.celebrityclubber.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Sort_of_want.jpg

The Big Shaq Jacinto.

rascal
07-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Shaq is finished. He will be lucky to get through the season without a major injury.

DesignatedT
07-07-2010, 09:08 PM
This has nothing to do with hatred (I've never been a fan, but I don't hate O'Neal), this has to do with fit and logistics.

He'd be a terrible fit. He's immobile and has no shooting range, two problem areas for this front court already.

Too many people think this is a video game. "For 10 mpg at the LLE"? It doesn't work like that. There's his larger than life personality, his massive ego (he wouldn't start or finish games on this team, how do you think that would sit with him?), the fact that Pop would feel the pressure to play him more than he should because he's one of the all-time greats, etc. Too many probable issues. Even in the event those issues were overcome, like I said, he's a terrible fit.

Then there's the logistics. The only way the Spurs could afford him would be if they didn't sign Splitter. Who in their right mind would rather have O'Neal than Splitter at this point in their careers? So even if you're open to signing O'Neal, you shouldn't be rooting for it to happen.

Not only do I not think the Spurs would sign him even if Splitter wasn't signed, I don't even think they'd waste time seriously entertaining the possibility.

You're post is retarded. All you are doing is posting shit everyone on here already knows hints why everyone says "if". For example, "if" he takes less money to play here or "if" he accepts his role as the 4th or 5th big on the team. Of course nobody wants him if he can't accept these things and not one single person said that they would take Shaq over Splitter either...

TheSullyMonster
07-07-2010, 09:13 PM

Plus, if he has to come play behind Duncan to win another, that cements Duncan's legacy over his.:king

TD 21
07-07-2010, 09:17 PM
You're post is retarded. All you are doing is posting shit everyone on here already knows hints why everyone says "if". For example, "if" he takes less money to play here or "if" he accepts his role as the 4th or 5th big on the team. Of course nobody wants him if he can't accept these things and not one single person said that they would take Shaq over Splitter either...

That's it, I'm turning this into a two page spat...

In all seriousness, I don't think everyone already knows this, as I said, I think a lot of people have a video game mentality when it comes to potential player acquisitions. That and a novice understanding of how parts fit, what's realistic, etc. I think a lot of people go "well, the Spurs need size and he's huge, plus he's still a serviceable player and better than, say, Bonner, so why not sign him?" Yet they either fail to take into account or don't realize the probable issues.

I may not have a link to satisfy timvp, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and state it as fact that O'Neal can't accept those things. Anyone who's followed his career in recent years knows that. He'll promise the world, call Pop the greatest coach of all-time, call Duncan the best player of his generation, etc. He does the same thing over and over.

You misunderstood me. Ostensibly, what I said was "if you want O'Neal, then you're essentially picking him over Splitter" because it's one or the other. It's more like they're doing it without knowing better because if they did, I assume they wouldn't want O'Neal signed.

ElNono
07-07-2010, 09:18 PM
http://www.celebrityclubber.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Sort_of_want.jpg

:lol

Vic Petro
07-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Shaq wants to come to the Spurs for one final shot at Kobe before retiring. If he does come, he'll show up to camp out of shape, be a worthless POS until April, and generally cause us fits. But if we play the Lakers in the playoffs, he'll be an asset for us.

Vet minimum or even LLE? Ok. MLE? gtfo

DesignatedT
07-07-2010, 09:21 PM

In all seriousness, I don't think everyone already knows this, as I said, I think a lot of people have a video game mentality when it comes to potential player acquisitions. That and a novice understanding of how parts fit, what's realistic, etc. I think a lot of people go "well, the Spurs need size and he's huge, plus he's still a serviceable player and better than, say, Bonner, so why not sign him?" Yet they either fail to take into account or don't realize the probable issues.

I may not have a link to satisfy timvp, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and state it as fact that O'Neal can't accept those things. Anyone who's followed his career in recent years knows that. He'll promise the world, call Pop the greatest coach of all-time, call Duncan the best player of his generation, etc. He does the same thing over and over.

You misunderstood me. Ostensibly, what I said was "if you want O'Neal, then you're essentially picking him over Splitter" because it's one or the other. It's more like they're doing it without knowing better because if they did, I assume they wouldn't want O'Neal signed.

:lol well that makes sense. For the record Shaq>Splitter.

ElNono
07-07-2010, 09:23 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CqDk4jAv_Y4/TC1EM6w-WbI/AAAAAAAAEks/i0-1XSBL8OQ/s1600/09.jpg

ohmwrecker
07-07-2010, 09:24 PM
I may not have a link to satisfy timvp, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and state it as fact that O'Neal can't accept those things.

What kind of link would provide that "fact"?

noles1983
07-07-2010, 09:25 PM
nm

lefty
07-07-2010, 09:26 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/KingDaddy18/disgustedReactionSouthParkCreators.gif

ElNono
yahoo reporting Shaq to Boston

:wow

mytespurs
I think if the spurs get him and Splitter it would be just enough to get the spurs by the lakers but the problem is he would be useless against any of the other top teams. Against the Lakers he could take out Bynum considering he pretty much got the better of Bynum in both games this year. Despite his old age he was able to get Bynum in foul trouble and also on defense Bynum can't post him up due to his huge size and thus is negated. A big man group of Duncan,Shaq,Dice,Splitter,Blair definitely could stop the Gasol,Bynum,Odom trio from getting tons of rebounds which is the key to beating the lakers.

But.......who would stop or slow down Kobe? :hat

noles1983
07-07-2010, 09:27 PM
:wow

im a crackhead, wrong o'neal lol..need sleeeeep

ohmwrecker
07-07-2010, 09:28 PM

Simple. We sign Ruben Patterson for the vet. min.

Ginobili2Duncan
07-07-2010, 09:29 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CqDk4jAv_Y4/TC1EM6w-WbI/AAAAAAAAEks/i0-1XSBL8OQ/s1600/09.jpg

Where did you get that sig from?

Vic Petro
07-07-2010, 09:31 PM
There's his larger than life personality, his massive ego (he wouldn't start or finish games on this team, how do you think that would sit with him?), the fact that Pop would feel the pressure to play him more than he should because he's one of the all-time greats, etc. Too many probable issues.

I don't think any of this portion applies. imo Shaq doesn't give a rat's ass whether he starts or finishes games anymore. He wants a team that's basically going to be comfortable giving him an in-season vacation before increasing his minutes at playoff time. Robert Horry did nothing until playoffs either and the players would joke about it.

The worst Shaq would do is talk shit to the media. Big deal. It would be pro Spurs anyway.

Also, Pop would be the last coach to feel pressure to play anyone. If there's any team that could deal with Shaq in the locker room, it would be the Spurs.

However I agree with you that he's a bad fit for other reasons like contract (assuming MLE) and fading skills.

ElNono
07-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Where did you get that sig from?

http://docfunk.blogspot.com/

DAF86
07-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Right now, Shaq is arguably the worst pick and roll big-man defender in the league. No thanks.

Ginobili2Duncan
07-07-2010, 09:39 PM
http://docfunk.blogspot.com/

Thanks, they are hilarious.

OleMissMike
07-07-2010, 09:43 PM
The Big Fiesta!!

Vic Petro
07-07-2010, 09:45 PM
The Big Fiesta!!

Or The Big Siesta

timtonymanurich
07-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Did I just talked myself into accepting Shaq in a span of 3 hours?

That was quick.

:lol:rollin:lmao:lol:lmao:rollin

I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL....

SenorSpur
07-07-2010, 09:47 PM
:yield

If anyone believes Shaq will play for the veterans minimum or LLE, then you don't know his ego.

If anyone thinks that Shaq is still a competent defender, teamwise or individually, you've not been watching him the past 3-4 seasons. In fact, he wasn't that good of a defender in his prime. His advantage was/is his mountainous presence and sheer physicality. Pull him away from the hoop and he's toast.

He bogs down the offense because of his constant "demand for his touches" and he routinely gets torched on pick-n-rolls. Furthermore, you can count on him being out of shape and missing about 30-40 games during the regular season.

The fact is he's been a devisive force in the lockerroom and has left a trail of scorched earth everywhere he's been. Has anyone NOT been paying attention to what transpired at the end of his last 3 stops? His selfish antics and disruptive behavior have been as much a reason for his multiple stops, as has been his declining play. Teams and players simply get tired of his act. Is that the type of player the Spurs need to have in their lockerroom? I think not. I can only hope that this is merely smoke coming from Shaq's camp only. Surely, the Spurs couldn't be this desparate.

Let him continue his farewell tour-of-duty with some other team. No thanks. :nope

daslicer
07-07-2010, 09:50 PM

To me the key is not stopping him but shutting down their frontline completely from getting second chance points. You stop the second chance points and their offense sputters. Their perimeter players outside of Kobe are average to mediocre on the offense end. What I would do is trot out a line up of Parker,RJ,Gino and force him to guard one of those 3 guys which will in return will slow him down on offense due to the energy he would have to expand to guard any of those 3 players. Kobe could have games of getting 40 points but what good does it do if his frontline ends up with a bunch of mediocre games. Also Kobe is always due for a few bad games he is a notorious chucker especially when he sees his teammates struggling it causes him to go into chuck mode.
Lakers to me are not a legendary dominant team like the 90's bulls, 80's celts/lakers but the reason they have won the last 2 years is due to having an enormous advantage in the paint which very few teams can counter defensively. If you look at it the teams that gave the lakers the most problems the last few years all had big frontlines ala nuggets,celtics,blazers, and even the current mavs. If Perkins doesn't get injured they would have lost to the Celtics.

Avitus1
07-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Hack a Shaq will finally be turned against us.

The_Worlds_finest
07-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Shaqs a defensive presence with duncan we have not had in the paint since drob. Shaq will be sick on the Spurs. I was thinking and hoping he would possibly consider us but surprise he wants to play for us. If he wants to play for the Spurs he knows the type of role he might stepping into it would be unreal if he took vet minimum but I wouldn't put it past him. He wants to add to his legacy and joining the big fundamental for rings and not CASH would be icing on the cake.

(PS two years of him mentoring Blair is worth it too)

CAN YOU DIG IT!!!

timtonymanurich
07-07-2010, 09:55 PM

I think you JUST blew everyones mind!

timtonymanurich
07-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Hack a Shaq will finally be turned against us.

Pop would pull him at the first sign of that. Unless Shaq proves his mettle and "makes them when they count" Hell, Shaq would even be able to work with Chip Engelland on his shot too!

timtonymanurich
07-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Right now, Shaq is arguably the worst pick and roll big-man defender in the league. No thanks.

With apparently no ability to learn it.....

Chucho
07-07-2010, 09:59 PM

I'd rather have the guy who, at his very worst, is still better than Bonner at his very best. Plus he can defend better, rebound better and has playoff credentials. And I really, really hate Shaq. I hate him almost as much as I hate Garnett and Malone.

my2sons
07-07-2010, 10:22 PM
I may even buy a couple of tickets to see this trainwreck....diesel fire...fat aristotle...sounds like fun. So many people on this board seem to think this team can't win anyway, so why not an entertaining nightmare waiting to happen. Its jason, freddy krueger and michael myers all rolled into one big entertaining horror movie to finish something where it all began, hell maybe they will reopen illusions in his honor. Spurs on nightly sportstalk, espn, foxsports everywhere, Talk about talk, I want splitter, but I would have fun seeing teams try to stop the picket fence with timmy and shaq what the hell and blair, setting double and triple picks...gasoft flying into the third row....Anderson would have a field day shooting threes and tony may be able to shoot all the floaters he wants, cuz with shaq and timmy down low, there won't be much paint left. I don't know what we would do with all these bigs, but if the spurs can find a way to get shaq and splitter then why not. People are pissy 'bout jefferson, no wings, no perimeter defense, shaq can't guard pick and roll, but if they funnel teams inside why guard pick and roll, and that would put two majestic towers guarding the paint. I just think it would be fun and different to watch

mattyc
07-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Shaq? Spurs?

Bizzaro world.

The Btown Spur
07-07-2010, 10:53 PM
This has got to be a joke

Kindergarten Cop
07-07-2010, 11:02 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/07/shaq-to-spurs-s.html

Shaq to Spurs? Seriously?
By Jeff McDonald

Kindergarten Cop
07-07-2010, 11:04 PM
http://twitter.com/jmcdonald_saen

Playing along with some web craziness: Yes to Shaq likely means no Splitter for #spurs. From the blog -- http://bit.ly/bJLfVb

Blackjack
07-07-2010, 11:07 PM

By Jeff McDonald

Mysa has been :ban: from the site, brah.

Kindergarten Cop
07-07-2010, 11:16 PM

By Jeff McDonald

Mysa has been :ban: from the site, brah.

Sorry Kori - I honestly had no idea. I apologize for the mistake. :oops

spursbird
07-07-2010, 11:16 PM
WTF? Giving up Splitter to sign Shaq?

Spurs9
07-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Hell I say go for it. We don't have much of a chance to win it all this year as it stands now if freaking Miami gets Lebron. Shaq in SA would be so lol

ElNono
07-07-2010, 11:20 PM
WTF? Giving up Splitter to sign Shaq?

I know, right? What's next? RJ opting out of a $15 million contract? :downspin:

SpursFanFirst
07-07-2010, 11:28 PM
I'd rather have Bonner.

:clap Yay, BB! I knew someday you'd come to the dark side.

baseline bum
07-07-2010, 11:34 PM
I don't care that Shaq is a first-ballot Hall of Famer. I don't care that he was a Laker and talked lots of bullshit to the Spurs 9-10 years ago. All I care about is he's not an effective player any more for any stretch of time on the floor, that he's about the worst defensive big in the game, that he can always be neutralized completely by forcing him to shoot free throws, and that he has absolutely nothing left in the tank. Watching Shaq do the exact same thing he criticized Patrick Ewing for at the end of his career would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. O'Neal needs to walk away; he's embarrassing himself.

baseline bum
07-07-2010, 11:35 PM
:clap Yay, BB! I knew someday you'd come to the dark side.

I'd also rather have Samaki Wanker.

TDMVPDPOY
07-07-2010, 11:52 PM
shaq on the downside of his career is even shitter then that chris dudley career hahahaha

Fpoonsie
07-08-2010, 12:39 AM
You're post is retarded...

tee, hee

timvp
07-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Shaq for the LLE? I'd do it.

1) It'd be good for the pocketbook. Shaq to San Antonio would be a major splash that could excite the common Spurs fan. Shaq has a ton of fans in San Antonio. He'd no doubt say that he's "coming home to retire" and talk about how San Antonio was always his true home and how much he loves Robinson, Duncan, Pop, etc.

The Spurs would make back the LLE within the first month of him signing. And the more money ownership group has, the more likely they are to spend elsewhere.

2) The Lakers are still the team to beat. Their main advantage over the Spurs right now is length. Shaq, even at 38, can neutralize length. A Duncan and Shaq frontline could work against Gasol and Bynum.

3) Splitter, McDyess and Blair next to Duncan looks good on paper but it's pretty risky. Blair has no ACLs, McDyess probably loses a few steps and Splitter has a big adjustment (and injury concerns, as well). As a fifth big to add to the mix for the LLE or lower, who has the potential upside of Shaq? The Big Insurance Policy could be an appropriate nickname if he were to sign.

4) I have no worries of Pop playing Shaq too much. Pop falls in love with shooters, for the most part. Pop also hates playing a big who will clog the middle when Duncan is on the court. If anything, Pop would probably struggle to play Shaq many minutes.

5) The Spurs tend to get bored in the regular season. With Shaq being Shaq, boredom wouldn't be as much of a worry. If he gets too unruly, releasing an LLE contract won't cause too much damage.

All in all, Shaq as a fifth big would be fine. Pop would have to be on his toes and really juggle the bigmen based on matchups ... but it could work.

EricB
07-08-2010, 12:54 AM
I think with Splitter's "back em down" game and back to the basket game, Shaq would be a great mentor in that he could show him a few things. Especially a hook shot cause suprisingly Shaq got quite good with it.

EricB
07-08-2010, 12:54 AM
Do you guys have any IDEA how many Shaq jerseys the Spurs would sell?

It would be unreal.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 12:55 AM
I agree with all of the on-court potential to be a good get, I have serious doubts about Shaq riding the pine as a fourth or fifth option and being busted out when the playoffs roll around without there being any friction or drama behind the scenes.

I'd love Shaq here for the entertainment value and if I could honestly see him accepting the role he'd be asked to play, but I have serious doubts.

It wouldn't be boring, though. That's for sure.

EricB
07-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Meh, Shaq accepted a smaller role ok in Miami and seemed to take a smaller role in Cleveland ok...

The Truth #6
07-08-2010, 01:04 AM
I can see the merits. Shaq might even be half way motivated to beat the Lakers after being called out by Kobe after the Lakers won their latest title.

HarlemHeat37
07-08-2010, 01:07 AM
I don't buy that Shaq would be a distraction..he didn't cause any problems in Cleveland, and he seems to have a lot of respect for Duncan and Pop..

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 01:12 AM
I'm sure Hickson and their faster lineup would've received more burn had Shaq not been Shaq and there were actually reports about there being some tension with the roles while he was there.

Maybe Kobe getting 5 would turn him into the perfect teammate willing to assume the perfect role for the Spurs but I'm looking at all of his prior stops. And over the last few years he hasn't shown to be a player that's fully accepted where he is as a player in this current day and time and given me reason to believe this would work out to a degree that would be beneficial enough to win a championship.

But that's me.

EricB
07-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Reports of tension?

So there was no actual tension?

BillMc
07-08-2010, 01:18 AM
For the LLE, sure...

I have to say I can't see Pop being much for Shaq's "Goodbye Tour." Anything distracting like that is very un-Pop- friendly. I remember Kareem's Goodbye Tour got to be a bit much and Kareem was way more reserved then the Big Nomad.

The Truth #6
07-08-2010, 01:19 AM
It's true. Bridges are burned every step of the way. As others have said, this could be more about selling tickets. I'd look forward to the HEB and TC commercials, for sure. It could be legendary.

timvp
07-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Don Harris claims he gave Shaq the idea. (http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story/Shaq-interested-in-joining-Spurs-before-retiring/agBaQ5Aza0mPsFS0XNePWg.cspx)

And he kinda did :lol

mattyc
07-08-2010, 01:22 AM
Let's bring back Kevin Willis too.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rtdP-SZP21c/R4zoGNSmBoI/AAAAAAAAAi4/vl-odnvXv4Y/s400/willis.jpg

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 01:25 AM
Reports of tension?

So there was no actual tension?

Just curious, if you hear about something and then see some things that make you believe there might be some credence for it -- say like a team losing cohesion and playing listless ball at times -- do you just dismiss what you hear or see with your eyes because you don't have someone like Ludden report it to you or a co-worker send you a link to why the guy next to you looks like he's been on a two-week bender and smells like shit.

"I'm sorry ... but unless you give me a link or a report, lady, I'm going to have to believe it didn't happen. Hey, Jim! Wake up and spray some Febreze up in this bitch. Did you forget to do laundry ... and sleep ... for a couple of weeks?"

tuncaboylu
07-08-2010, 01:25 AM
Signing Shaq with LLE is no brainer. If he accepts it, don't even think twice and do it. If he wants MLE, we can't afford it because Splitter, but LLE to Shaq. Jump it.

He proved that he can play and provide 10-6 averages in play-offs. He will bring at least fun to team, if anything else doesn't. And maybe they can win their 5th ring with Duncan at the same time:)

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 01:30 AM
Don Harris claims he gave Shaq the idea. (http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story/Shaq-interested-in-joining-Spurs-before-retiring/agBaQ5Aza0mPsFS0XNePWg.cspx)

And he kinda did :lol

I remember him trying to get him to come back for the minimum. Say what you will about Harris, but those interviews he gets with Shaq from time to time are priceless.

Like I've said, I love Shaq. And if I'm wrong, I'll gladly be wrong. But I'm just being honest and telling you what I feel after having watched how things have played out as he's hit the tail end of his career.

I think it'd be a borderline miracle for the Spurs to win a title next year regardless, so maybe I should just embrace it if he's willing to come for the LLE. And maybe I will in time.

But it ain't happenin' now. :lol

rayray2k8
07-08-2010, 01:33 AM
duncan and shaq together in their 'drive for 5'? Im in.
Shaq in black sounds good. :)

Indazone
07-08-2010, 01:34 AM
Shaq on the Spurs makes sense. Would give you guys the size you need to match up with the Lakers. Shaq as a backup would be like having Alonzo Mourning was to Shaq back in the day. Shaq backing up your premier center Tim Duncan would be pretty solid. You just have to manage that atrocious 50 percent foul shooting.

Duncan2177
07-08-2010, 01:35 AM
duncan and shaq together in their 'drive for 5'? Im in.
Shaq in black sounds good. :)

:tu

Kori Ellis
07-08-2010, 01:36 AM
timvp is a (not so) closet Shaq fan - always has been. So he'd probably even give him the MLE ;)

SpursTillTheEnd
07-08-2010, 02:03 AM
yall know how tmmy gave drob a championship in his final year, yall think blair can do the same for tim?

EricB
07-08-2010, 02:05 AM
Just curious, if you hear about something and then see some things that make you believe there might be some credence for it -- say like a team losing cohesion and playing listless ball at times -- do you just dismiss what you hear or see with your eyes because you don't have someone like Ludden report it to you or a co-worker send you a link to why the guy next to you looks like he's been on a two-week bender and smells like shit.

"I'm sorry ... but unless you give me a link or a report, lady, I'm going to have to believe it didn't happen. Hey, Jim! Wake up and spray some Febreze up in this bitch. Did you forget to do laundry ... and sleep ... for a couple of weeks?"

The team falling apart was more Lebron quitting than Shaq IMO.

EricB
07-08-2010, 02:12 AM
timvp is a (not so) closet Shaq fan - always has been. So he'd probably even give him the MLE ;)

TIMVP is a closet laker fan.

Even has the jersey to prove it......

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 02:14 AM
In the playoffs, it had to do with Mr. West goin' South with Mrs. James.

But they're were some issues during the regualr season and during the playoffs with the way Brown was playing Shaq -- especially after returning from injury -- and how it took away from Hickson's time and their best lineup, which was a much quicker and athletic group.

I don't think it's a malicious thing on Shaq's part, I just think it's a product of greatness no longer being great combined with a presence and bigger-than-life persona that doesn't allow those around him to treat him as the player he actually is these days.

Great teams and players don't usually go out all that well. It just doesn't happen often as it's a long fall from the top -- that's why David's final year was all the more special.

angelbelow
Shaq has always been a team guy, i think big ego or not, as long as he understood what Pop and the spurs want out of him, he'll be great to have. Pops is a straight arrow guy, hes not gonna guarantee shaq anything. So if Shaq is willing to sign with us for the minimum I dont see how that could hurt.

Juanobili
As long as Splitter comes too.. then hell yeah!

Gagnrath
07-08-2010, 02:21 AM
Hey if Kevin Willis wants to come back I'm all for it. Sure he was only getting 3 to 5 minutes every other game but the dude stayed in shape and would fight for everything, wore kneepads to keep himself from shattering diving for loose balls, and when he fought for position the other guy knew it b way of a bone elbow.

Bruno
07-08-2010, 02:22 AM
The article mentioned Shaq for the MLE, not for the LLE or for the min.

Shaq for the MLE would mean no Splitter. Do people really want that? And even if Spurs can't get Splitter, there are better options than Shaq for the MLE.

EricB
07-08-2010, 02:23 AM
Doubtfull the Spurs would give him the MLE.

Spurs > Hawks

angelbelow
07-08-2010, 02:24 AM
At first I was kind of questioning whether there was any truth to the source, after reading it again, Shaq wants the MLE + more if possible. He probably wont be coming here.

TDMVPDPOY
07-08-2010, 02:32 AM
shaq is short on cash since losing 50% lol

anyway how much money does he really need? he already has enough that would last for a few generations

jiggy_55
07-08-2010, 02:34 AM
I would definitely love it if he joined for the LLE. A cool, huge guy who is fun to have around, a mentor for many. He would be great in the case that Splitter doesn't join, but it would be much better for him to teach Splitter and for Splitter to practice against him.

tuncaboylu
07-08-2010, 02:34 AM
At first I was kind of questioning whether there was any truth to the source, after reading it again, Shaq wants the MLE + more if possible. He probably wont be coming here.

He may want MLE, but i think that he may accept LLE to be in a contender like Spurs instead of playing Atlanta for MLE.

LLE is around 2M and MLE 5,8M. I don't think that he would create problem for 3.8M, he earned 21M last year. I think We may convince him to sign MLE for next year and tell him to play LLE for this year.

slick'81
07-08-2010, 02:39 AM
no way he touches any of that mle unless splitter screws sa if not he can have atlanta

EricB
07-08-2010, 02:41 AM
No way any team gives him MLE or half MLE or any cap space.

No freaking way...

Juanobili
07-08-2010, 02:43 AM
Oh he wants the MLE? fuck that shit

Splitter, what's up?

Stefan.2789
07-08-2010, 02:46 AM
[QUOTE=EricB;4482462]No way any team gives him MLE or half MLE or any cap space.

No freaking way...[/QUOTE

Hello Mr. EricB....just wanted to know if you ever divulged your info on the player who the spurs were targeting with LLE, or had an agreement with...and if not, is it safe to say yet??? Just asking...

Mr. Body
07-08-2010, 02:48 AM
Tell Shaq that Kobe has more rings than him. He'll come for the LLE.

Spursfan 87
07-08-2010, 02:51 AM
Tell Shaq that Kobe has more rings than him. He'll come for the LLE.

EricB
07-08-2010, 02:52 AM
[quote=EricB;4482462]No way any team gives him MLE or half MLE or any cap space.

No freaking way...[/QUOTE

Hello Mr. EricB....just wanted to know if you ever divulged your info on the player who the spurs were targeting with LLE, or had an agreement with...and if not, is it safe to say yet??? Just asking...

No I haven't because I've been busy and my buddy has literally been tough to get a hold of. We only talk in bits right now, understandable, things this time of year are always loco in that place.

Stefan.2789
07-08-2010, 02:52 AM
I thought it was a great idea to sign Shaq with the LLE....but now thinking he might be a little too old....he already seems to be losing it a bit because he must clearly be a little delusional thinking he can still get the full or most of the MLE.....just saying...

Stefan.2789
07-08-2010, 02:54 AM
[quote=Stefan.2789;4482477]

No I haven't because I've been busy and my buddy has literally been tough to get a hold of. We only talk in bits right now, understandable, things this time of year are always loco in that place.

Cool.....well as far as i remember, u know who it is, can you at least say if u think its a good signing or not for the LLE..???

EricB
07-08-2010, 03:05 AM
[quote=EricB;4482492]

Cool.....well as far as i remember, u know who it is, can you at least say if u think its a good signing or not for the LLE..???

Depends on if

A that person signs for it

B if the said person then performs

Bruno
07-08-2010, 04:03 AM

No freaking way...

Disagree.
Shaq has had 2 solid seasons in Phoenix and Cleveland. I can easily see a contender offering him most if not all the MLE.

Shaq for the LLE would be a fine signing but it's far from sure eh would accept to take a paycut just to join SA.

jiggy_55
07-08-2010, 04:15 AM
Disagree.
Shaq has had 2 solid seasons in Phoenix and Cleveland. I can easily see a contender offering him most if not all the MLE.

Shaq for the LLE would be a fine signing but it's far from sure eh would accept to take a paycut just to join SA.

He's 38 and he's got so much money in his bank account! Doubt the couple million will matter that much to him to be honest so I doubt a paycut will be an issue. If he really wants to be here and they really want him, than it would an easy decision for both sides.

I don't see why he wouldn't like to team up with Mr. Duncan. He's a proven winner, can mentor the younger guys, is a good passer, while also being a huge presence in the paint offensively and defensively. He could try team up with Team Duncan to get himself a 5th championship and a shot to take Kobe off the top from the West. Plus he can't shoot Ft's so perfect :lol.

Sounds like a good destination, and I haven't even mentioned this is his original home.

chazley
07-08-2010, 04:24 AM

No freaking way...

False.

ploto
07-08-2010, 06:18 AM
He may want MLE, but i think that he may accept LLE to be in a contender like Spurs instead of playing Atlanta for MLE.

Atlanta was the 3rd seed in the East last year and had a better record than the Spurs did.

ploto
07-08-2010, 06:21 AM
For the minimum, he can go back to Miami!!

mingus
07-08-2010, 06:36 AM
priority number 1 should be Splitter, after that you've got the SF position to worry about with RJ's situation in limbo.

that said, i would LOVE for the Spurs to get Shaq, esp. if they can't acquire Splitter. i don't give a fuck about the past. his size would help tremendously against the Lakers. negative is it might stunt the development of a guy like Blair a little bit. offensively, he fits very well. he's a greater passer from the post and Hill, Manu, Tp are anywhere from good-to-great at moving without the ball.

if the frontcourt rotation is

Splitter/Shaq
Timmy/Dice/Blair

then :wow... that's absolutely sick, and you go for it, as long as you can get the SF figured out as well.

tuncaboylu
07-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Atlanta was the 3rd seed in the East last year and had a better record than the Spurs did.

And they barely beat low-seeded Bogut-less Bucks and swept against Orlando with an average of 25 points difference each game.

Moreover, Bulls is stronger than last year. If Lebron joins to Miami, they will be tremendous(If he stays in Cavs, Cavs is already better than Atlanta). Boston kept their core and Orlando will not be worse than this year. If he goes to Atlanta, he can't see ECF, he has no chance.

If he joins to Spurs, he has a decent chance. Utah and Suns weakened and none of the western teams doesn't seem stronger than last year. The only powerhouse is Lakers and to beat them is a good mission for Shaq.

Danny.Zhu
07-08-2010, 07:26 AM
LLE is also acceptable.

Ryvin1
07-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Would pop still hack-a-shaq if he was on the Spurs?? I think so..

dbestpro
07-08-2010, 07:56 AM
I could see a ST RJ for Shaq. The MLE is Splitter's. RJ could then reunite in an up tempo offense with Scott. Of course we would have to do something like McD for Beasley to fill out the SF spot. Shaq, Duncan, Splitter, and Blair can match any team's front court in regards to size even LA.

Phenomanul
07-08-2010, 08:19 AM
He's asking for too much money...

Muser
07-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Shaq wants the MLE? :lmao

Tony Sinclair
07-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Shaq could help

Cheddz
07-08-2010, 08:45 AM
He would add to the list of legendary NBA bigmen who have played for the silver & black:

David Robinson
Tim Duncan
Artis Gilmore
Moses Malone

You forgot Schintzius and Uwe Blab.

sa_butta
07-08-2010, 08:56 AM
I would take Shaq for minimal money, I think he could provide us with decent help in the paint. Only bad thing is he would be useless at the end of games since he cannot make Fts for shit.

rjv
07-08-2010, 09:02 AM
if lebron goes to miami, i think shaq's interest will suddenly migrate towards south beach.

johnnySpurs
07-08-2010, 09:16 AM
I would take Shaq for minimal money, I think he could provide us with decent help in the paint. Only bad thing is he would be useless at the end of games since he cannot make Fts for shit.

He should fit right in.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Shaq for the LLE? Sure.

Shaq for anything more than the LLE? Only if he plays for the Clippers.

sa_butta
07-08-2010, 09:26 AM
He should fit right in.
True, but we need better ft shooting at the end of games...

coyotes_geek
07-08-2010, 09:29 AM
if lebron goes to miami, i think shaq's interest will suddenly migrate towards south beach.

I thought Shaq and Wade didn't part on the best of terms?

rjv
07-08-2010, 09:33 AM
I thought Shaq and Wade didn't part on the best of terms?

could be, wherever there is massive adultery there seems to be fingerpointing amongst teammates.

seriously, i was not aware of that and miami may not even want shaq but they will be in dire need of a center and even a 38 year old shaq would be a better option than most.

but perhaps shaq would not have any interest as well. just speculation on my part.

coyotes_geek
07-08-2010, 09:47 AM
could be, wherever there is massive adultery there seems to be fingerpointing amongst teammates.

seriously, i was not aware of that and miami may not even want shaq but they will be in dire need of a center and even a 38 year old shaq would be a better option than most.

but perhaps shaq would not have any interest as well. just speculation on my part.

I could be wrong about the animosity. Even if there was some, a shot at a ring can make a lot of that go away.

Josepatches_
07-08-2010, 09:48 AM

Maybe.

Miami is a nice place for everybody and it would be a good team to win a tittle for players who had won enough money all these years like Shaq.

My Fault
07-08-2010, 09:52 AM
I could see a ST RJ for Shaq. The MLE is Splitter's. RJ could then reunite in an up tempo offense with Scott. Of course we would have to do something like McD for Beasley to fill out the SF spot. Shaq, Duncan, Splitter, and Blair can match any team's front court in regards to size even LA.
Beasley can not play SF.

johnnySpurs
07-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Normally I'd have no problem with Shaq... and I still think he is a very capable NBA center. However, I'd hate to see us limit what could be crucial development time in the NBA for Splitter and Blair if we're left in a position where we have to manage playing time for what... 5? 6 bigs? I'd love to see Splitter and Blair take on a lot of minutes this year. I'd especially like to see them on the floor together as they (6'11" Splitter and 6'2" Blair) are the future bigs of this team.

johnnySpurs
07-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Beasley can not play SF.

If last season is any indication, Beasley can not play anything.

Muser
07-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Shaq isn't going back to Miami, he burned too many bridges there.

I'd take him for the LLE, hell he's better than Bonner.

dbestpro
07-08-2010, 10:27 AM
If last season is any indication, Beasley can not play anything.

Guy is only 21 and would still be a junior in college. Has taken a lot of heat for not being an allstar at the age of 20. Has played, SF, listed 6-10, and shot 40% from the 3 2 years ago. The kid is going to be a steal for someone and probably will be an eventual star when given some time to allow his game to mature.

coyotes_geek
07-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Normally I'd have no problem with Shaq... and I still think he is a very capable NBA center. However, I'd hate to see us limit what could be crucial development time in the NBA for Splitter and Blair if we're left in a position where we have to manage playing time for what... 5? 6 bigs? I'd love to see Splitter and Blair take on a lot of minutes this year. I'd especially like to see them on the floor together as they (6'11" Splitter and 6'2" Blair) are the future bigs of this team.

For the life of me I just can't fathom why people on this board are so afraid of having a deeper basketball team just because it might reduce the number of minutes their favorite young guys get to play. Is the point to have the best basketball team possible? Or is the point just to play young guys as many minutes as possible? No one should be afraid of challenging guys like Splitter and Blair to become better basketball players by making them compete for playing time against better teammates. That's a far better scenario than forcing yourself into giving them a bunch of playing time simply because there's no one better on the roster.

Besides, making Splitter compete against Shaq both in practice and for game minutes would be about the best development tool for him that there is.

rayray2k8
07-08-2010, 10:48 AM
I think just about everyone likes the idea of Shaq coming over. And just about everyone think that he shouldn't get more than the LLE :lol
More than that and the spurs might just look away.
I like the idea of him coming due to the fact that having Shaq in black would increase the national broadcast that the spurs would usually have. Think about that.. Mainly something for non-san antonio residents to think about.

Fpoonsie
07-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I'd honestly consider trading in my fan card (a la Fpoonsie circa 2004 during all that Karl Malone nonsense) were this to actually happen.

C'mon, Spurs, you're better than this.

RamReddy
07-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Although many spurs fans (including me) probably wanted to strangle Shaq when he played with the Lakers and Suns...this offseason move will be better than any of the ones we made last year. Our defense would be back to that championship caliber...or would u rather see Bonner's scrub ass mess the whole season up again ???

SIGN SHAQ :flag::flag::flag:

duhoh
07-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Just the thought we might be looking to pick between Bonner or Shaq made me puke a little bit...

:depressed

spursfaninla
07-08-2010, 11:34 AM
anyone using the words shaq and defense in the same sentence must either be thinking of shaq 5 years ago, or means the opposite.

Shaq can block shots (maybe), but that is it. He wasn't motivated when he was younger and faster to play real d outside of the block; what makes you think he will now?

no f-ing way do we want shaq. He will grumble and cause problems, he wants too much money, and he is lazy as hell.

CaptainLate
07-08-2010, 11:46 AM

Not only did they barely beat the low-seeded Bogut-less Bucks, but had they played in the West I doubt they would have had a better record than the Spurs.

texas_gator
07-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Sign Shaq! (for the LLE of course) otherwise...

HAQ-A-SHAQ!

ToughActinTinactin
07-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Shaq couldn't hurt.

cantthinkofanything
07-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Shaq couldn't hurt.

He's still a very big and very strong black man.

Big Empty
07-08-2010, 12:02 PM
I'd take shaq, all we would need him for is against Paul Gasol. He could do pretty well against the long stretched Gasol and give his weak ass fits!

dbestpro
07-08-2010, 12:18 PM
anyone using the words shaq and defense in the same sentence must either be thinking of shaq 5 years ago, or means the opposite.

Shaq can block shots (maybe), but that is it. He wasn't motivated when he was younger and faster to play real d outside of the block; what makes you think he will now?

no f-ing way do we want shaq. He will grumble and cause problems, he wants too much money, and he is lazy as hell.

Shaq standing still, and picking his nose while smiling for the camera offers better defense than Bonner.

DesignatedT
07-08-2010, 12:19 PM
He's still a very big and very strong black man.

SenorSpur
07-08-2010, 12:22 PM

All these are factors that the majority of the "Shaq-supporters" here seem to either don't know or are conveniently forgetting.

Knoxxx
07-08-2010, 12:23 PM
No way Shaq for the MLE as others have stated. Had not thought about the LLE, but I suppose that would be pallatable. Vet min is more like it for what his role is likely to be, and the amounts he has been overpaid the last several years. If he really wants a championship, he needs to put his money where is mouth is. He'd fit right it from a free throw percentage perspective too. :lol

Knoxxx
07-08-2010, 12:24 PM
All these are factors that the majority of the "Shaq-supporters" here seem to either don't know or are conveniently forgetting.

If he doesn't understand his limited role at the outset then its a no go. At the vet min, we could always waive him if we was just a cancer/liability to our team.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Shaq in silver and black?
by Andrew A. McNeill

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/shaq-tim-duncan.jpg

AOL Fanhouse’s Chris Tomasson has published a report saying that Shaquille O’Neal’s goal is to play two more seasons, and the team he is targeting is your San Antonio Spurs.

He’d really like to go to San Antonio and team with Timmy (Duncan), and try to win one more title,” said the source about O’Neal, who starred in high school in San Antonio.

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford declined comment.

The source said O’Neal, 38, plans to play two more seasons and then retire. He wants there to be a farewell tour in 2011-12, which he expects would be his 20th and final NBA season.

“He wants to sign a two-year deal,” the source said about O’Neal, who made $21 million last season with Cleveland. “And then the second year will be a farewell tour. He can tell a team that you would sell out all 41 games (that season).”

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/07/08/shaquille-oneal-spurs-rumor/#more-8856)

Brazil
07-08-2010, 12:39 PM
More I think more I like the idea, the two dominant bigs of the last decade together for a last two years ride...

AFBlue
07-08-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm sure the Spurs getting older and slower is not the goal of the Spurs FO right now, given how they were decimated by a team that outjumped, outran and stretched them.

I don't think Shaq is a good fit for this squad, no matter what the price.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Shaq in Phoenix was a huge disaster, and Shaq in Cleveland was also terrible.

I'm not liking the trend here.

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 12:56 PM
The more I look at the potential landscape of the NBA, the more I start to think about just enjoying the games the Spurs have left and not wringing my hands about them winning another championship -- it's what I want for them more than anything but it's looking to be pretty much out of their control.

I'm 50-50 on this farewell tour.

On one hand, could a Spurs fan honestly feel good about what very well could be Tim's last year being overshadowed by a Shaqapalooza? After all of the years he's overshadowed him through the media and all of the wars Shaq's been on the opposition?

On the other hand, Tim would love that first scenario. He'd love to be able to get out without so much as anyone noticing or acknowledging the end to his career.

But on the other hand -- the third one that a particular gentleman wish he'd had in Total Recall -- Having a farewell tour for Shaq would probably drag Tim into the spotlight kicking and screaming and it would become a spectacle in itself with the league sending out the Wilt and Russell of this generation. There'd be interviews, shows, national media all over the place and an increased presence in San Antonio. The Spurs and its all-time great would be provided with a platform they've never really been afforded. Shaq could bring that.

So I still hold firm to the idea that this wouldn't work on the court to a tune of a championship and could even turn out ugly at times, but faced with the reality of the league and the Spurs' probable place in it ... I'm warming to the big fella' (for the LLE or minimum).

EricB
07-08-2010, 01:05 PM
With Phoenix done there's not many teams left that "decimated" the spurs in that style...