View Full Version : Spurs Interested in Andray Blatche

Pages : [1] 2 3

timvp
08-04-2012, 05:55 PM
:stirpot:

DPG21920
08-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Per Marc Stein:

Free agent rumble that just dribbled across the pond: Heat & Spurs among teams to express exploratory interest in free agent Andray Blatche

timvp
08-04-2012, 06:00 PM
^Thanks nephs.

Blatche probably wouldn't work out but for a minimum contract he'd be worth the small gamble.

slick'81
08-04-2012, 06:02 PM
too much youth and upside for a team who needs a big not to try especially for cheap but i wonder exactly what blatche is looking for in terms of dollars

emanueldavidginobili
08-04-2012, 06:03 PM
The heat are interested too which means he's not going to choose the Spurs most likely

gambit1990
08-04-2012, 06:03 PM
i hope we land him.

gambit1990
08-04-2012, 06:04 PM
The heat are interested too which means he's not going to choose the Spurs most likely

that's along the lines of what i'm thinking as well.

TE
08-04-2012, 06:04 PM

This :lol

A question I have out of curiousity is how the hell can Miami afford him?

DPG21920
08-04-2012, 06:07 PM
He would be getting a min contract likely wherever he goes, so all teams have that available if they would like to spend it

Leetonidas
08-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Can't be worse than Bonner.

joeyjfive
08-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Finally some news, heres hoping we get him. FMB.

emanueldavidginobili
08-04-2012, 06:13 PM
How does the Heat even have any cap room after signing Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis and still paying the rest of the team

DontStopBelieving
08-04-2012, 06:17 PM
how does the heat even have any cap room after signing ray allen and rashard lewis and still paying the rest of the team

minimum

emanueldavidginobili
08-04-2012, 06:22 PM
minimum

Oh then there's no way we are landing him since we can only give him the minimum too.

Bruno
08-04-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm a little surprised that Miami is interested in Blatche. Centers like Darko or Birdman would be better fits with their roster.

It's a very good news that Spurs are interested in Blatche. Spurs are one of the weakest team in the league at the PF slot with Diaw, Bonner and Blair. If Blatche works, it would be huge for Spurs. It's a typical low risk high reward situation.

Tuddy
08-04-2012, 06:26 PM
He's not going to the heat because he won't get any minutes - Bosh, Haslem, Lewis

gambit1990
08-04-2012, 06:28 PM
It's a very good news that Spurs are interested in Blatche. Spurs are one of the weakest team in the league at the PF slot with Diaw, Bonner and Blair. If Blatche works, it would be huge for Spurs. It's a typical low risk high reward situation.

this.

i feel like i'm just waiting to be disappointed... i can almost see "blatche signs with heat" already. if he were to sign here instead, i think that would show maturity. and we'd be off to a good start.

Duncan2177
08-04-2012, 06:29 PM
He's not going to the heat because he won't get any minutes - Bosh, Haslem, Lewis

:tu

TD 21
08-04-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm a little surprised that Miami is interested in Blatche. Centers like Darko or Birdman would be better fits with their roster.

The Nets also need a backup center and likely have interest in Milicic, so Blatche is probably a fall back option if they lose out on Milicic. Andersen brings nothing that Anthony doesn't and comes without the true center size of Milicic, so they may not be interested.

Common sense would dictate he'd pick the Spurs. He has no chance of cracking the Heat's rotation not just next season, but probably going forward and would more than likely be nothing more than the next Curry.

My thoughts on why the Spurs make sense for Blatche . . .

They should do what the Thunder did with Thabeet: sign him for two guaranteed years. Barring injury, Thabeet won't be in the rotation next season. But the following one, when they're likely to dispose of Perkins so as to free up more cap space to re-sign Harden and Ibaka, is when he should have a shot at a more prominent role.

The same logic applies here. Blatche could come in next season, play the good soldier role, begin to repair his reputation, learn the system, get the occasional game to strut his stuff (like when they give Duncan games off) and wait his turn. Then, the following season, the possibility exists that he could become the starting PF. It's unlikely, as Diaw will probably be back, but if they like what they see from him, I don't think there's any question they'd trade or waive Bonner's partially guaranteed contract. And it's not it's out of the question that he could wrestle the starting position away from Diaw, either.

Bruno
08-04-2012, 06:37 PM
If Spurs get Blatche, the next move would be to trade Blair. Blair is in a contract year and I can easily see him causing troubles if he doesn't get enough playing time. Handling Blatche will be a big enough challenge. No need to complicate it with a logjam.

The beauty with a Blatche gamble is that if it doesn't work, Spurs will have a lot of time to find another option. It could be a little trade at the trade deadline, singing a waived player or a D-League player.

DontStopBelieving
08-04-2012, 06:43 PM
We have to get someone other than blair/bonner as the backup pf. We just have to :(

szkorhetz
08-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Pls, FO. We need him.

Andthentherewas21
08-04-2012, 07:03 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/source-several-teams-eyeing-andray-blatche/

Playing time is going to be more important that what he makes this year since the Wiz are paying him still. Chances are the team that guarantees him the most playing time is the one that gets him, since he already has his sights set on his contract for next season.

Duncan2177
08-04-2012, 07:17 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/source-several-teams-eyeing-andray-blatche/

Playing time is going to be more important that what he makes this year since the Wiz are paying him still. Chances are the team that guarantees him the most playing time is the one that gets him, since he already has his sights set on his contract for next season.

The spurs.

DAF86
08-04-2012, 07:25 PM
I think this kid will prove to be like McGee in the sense that playing for a good team will make him a lot of good. I hope the Spurs seduce him by promising him playing time (maybe even a starter role).

Ice009
08-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Spurs aren't going to promise or guarantee him shit though.

spurs1990
08-04-2012, 08:00 PM
At first I was skeptical but then realized we did the same thing with Diaw last March - attaining a player who's recently been released by one of the most inept franchises in the league.

May lightning strike twice.

Spurs da champs
08-04-2012, 08:05 PM
I think this kid will prove to be like McGee in the sense that playing for a good team will make him a lot of good. I hope the Spurs seduce him by promising him playing time (maybe even a starter role).

Yes I think that would be best for him & the Spurs as I'd prefer Diaw to come off the bench.

racm
08-04-2012, 08:21 PM
If Blatche starts then Leonard better take a bigger role in the offense.

AussieFanKurt
08-04-2012, 08:29 PM

Miami are just interested in anyone with at least average skill it seems

racm
08-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Miami are just interested in anyone with at least average skill it seems

They just want a big who isn't a total inept. Bron at the 4/Bosh at the 5 will be their MO for the playoffs, but they won't do it in the RS.

loveforthegame
08-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Glad to hear the Spurs are interested. Something at least. :tu

DPG21920
08-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Wonder if this is "real" interest or agent drumming up interest in a client that everyone is iffy on by throwing the Spurs name out there.

Didn't recent quotes come out about him wanting to go to a younger more high potential team where he can start?

gambit1990
08-04-2012, 08:54 PM
with blatche starting, diaw could come off the bench and help splitter get even easier points.

dunkman
08-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Wonder if this is "real" interest or agent drumming up interest in a client that everyone is iffy on by throwing the Spurs name out there.

Didn't recent quotes come out about him wanting to go to a younger more high potential team where he can start?

He's talented enough to start for the Spurs, however he has to join the training camp asap. The Spurs also won't give him any guarantees.

Duncan2177
08-04-2012, 09:01 PM
This spurs team needs some athleticism something that Blatche would give the team.

racm
08-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Does he play defense?

dunkman
08-04-2012, 09:03 PM
It's a great opportunity to add a capable PF on the cheap.
The roster would look fantastic tbh.

Parker / De Colo / Mills / Cory
Green / Manu / Neal
Leonard / Jack
Bletche / Diaw / Bonner
Duncan / Splitter / Blair

gambit1990
08-04-2012, 09:06 PM
It's a great opportunity to add a capable PF on the cheap.
The roster would look fantastic tbh.

Parker / De Colo / Mills / Cory
Green / Manu / Neal
Leonard / Jack
Bletche / Diaw / Bonner
Duncan / Splitter / Blair

other than being a year older, the team only got stronger. if that's how the roster ends up.

racm
08-04-2012, 09:17 PM
And with all but two of those guys being on last year's squad, they'll have good chemistry.

gee
08-04-2012, 09:46 PM
At first this idea repulsed me, but I've been thinking about it and over time the concept of Blatche joining the Spurs has really grown on me.

It is a definite possibility that Blatche is not actually a complete idiot, and that it was more the idiot culture of Washington that lead to him and the entire rest of the team acting like that.
The Spurs are probably the most professional and focused team in the NBA, but that can't be attributed to the fact that the Spurs are only made up of professional and focused players. There is a very strong culture in the Spurs that demands professionalism and focus that has clear effects on the actions and attitudes of the players and would be likely to rub off on Blatche too.

As mentioned before, the Spurs took a similar and perhaps more risker risk last season when the signed Diaw, an undersized big who had just been dropped from the worst team in the league. Given that Diaw worked out well it is just as likely that Blatche may work as well.
He may work out better as unlike Diaw he likes to score and won't give up so many open shots / open lanes / mismatch post up oppurtunities. But depending on his attitude in how he handles these it may also end up that he doesn't really 'fit' with the Spurs system. Part of Diaw's success with the Spurs was his complete unselfishness, even if it was just because he's scared of scoring.

And even if it doesn't work out very well at all, the chances are he'll play more efficiently and do less dumb shit than Blair.

If Spurs can get him for minimum its a great oppurtunity for them.

Hooks
08-04-2012, 09:54 PM
He's not coming, he'll be with the heat GUARANTEED.

Sense
08-04-2012, 10:17 PM
At first I was skeptical but then realized we did the same thing with Diaw last March - attaining a player who's recently been released by one of the most inept franchises in the league.

May lightning strike twice.

Not even close to the same scenario..

Diaw has always been a all around player that has always wanted to win..

Blatche is an idiot, straight up idiot... there's a reason he's at the bottom of the pool and we're talking about him right now.

Libri
08-04-2012, 10:33 PM

TBH, I don't think Pop will promise him anything.

DAF86
08-04-2012, 10:33 PM

Blatche is an idiot, straight up idiot... there's a reason he's at the bottom of the pool and we're talking about him right now.

Then compare him to McGee, an ex-Wizard who was also thought to be a lost case and end up playing very well for a good team.

ElNono
08-04-2012, 10:52 PM
McGee is dumb and shit, and Denver will regret handing him that contract...

That said, there's no such risk with Blatche, seeing this would be a min deal...

DAF86
08-04-2012, 11:25 PM
McGee was a monster in the playoffs.

ElNono
08-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Against LA?

Game 1: 2 pts, 6 boards
Game 2: 5 pts, 9 boards
Game 3: 16 pts, 15 boards *****
Game 4: 8 pts, 4 boards
Game 5: 21 pts, 14 boards *****
Game 6: 2 pts, 5 boards
Game 7: 6 pts, 14 boards

He had two "monster" games, and at least 4 duds. Obviously, people mostly remember the "monster" games. I doubt he'll be an improvement over Nene, tbh.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-04-2012, 11:42 PM

This. He won't get the touches he needs to earn his next contract. That applies for both MIA and SAS.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-04-2012, 11:44 PM
The spurs.

Spurs aren't going to promise or guarantee him shit though.

DAF86
08-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Against LA?

He had two "monster" games, and at least 4 duds. Obviously, people mostly remember the "monster" games. I doubt he'll be an improvement over Nene, tbh.

For a guy that wasn't even assured to be a rotation player, that's a monster performance.

Sean Cagney
08-05-2012, 12:12 AM
Against LA?

Funny those stats would be a blessing and a revelation from a piece of shit like BONNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I will take the 6 pts and 14 boards in a game 7 over 0 f in pots and 1 rebound or so. SIGN HIM lol.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
08-05-2012, 12:16 AM
I can't believe people are thinking he will be starting. He probably won't even be on the team.

thOOdee
08-05-2012, 12:31 AM
I can't believe people are thinking he will be starting. He probably won't even be on the team.

lol..crazy profile pic and name.....

ElNono
08-05-2012, 12:46 AM
For a guy that wasn't even assured to be a rotation player, that's a monster performance.

Funny those stats would be a blessing and a revelation from a piece of shit like BONNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I will take the 6 pts and 14 boards in a game 7 over 0 f in pots and 1 rebound or so. SIGN HIM lol.

Well, they traded Nene for him, and looking at the 4 year/$44 million deal they just handed to him, you would think they expect to be able to play him more than 25 mins and be something more than a single digits guy.

Truth be told, if you watched that series, McGee was hit or miss. He either had moments where he did everything right, and moments where Karl had to pull him because he was pathetic and killing Denver. Which is kinda what you get with a moron with over the top athleticism. Kid has all the tools to be amazing, but the pea brain just keeps sticking out. It doesn't even look like a maturity issue. It's not that he's trying to do too much or trying to show off.

Now Blatche's problem is definitely immaturity. The question is if he recognizes he blew an opportunity in Washington and is ready to settle down and let vets help him figure things out, or if he's going to keep fucking around and blow perhaps his last shot at a career.

For the minimum, it's a risk the Spurs can and should take. I also agree with Bruno that Dejuan should be out if Blatche comes in.

Sense
08-05-2012, 01:53 AM
Then compare him to McGee, an ex-Wizard who was also thought to be a lost case and end up playing very well for a good team.

:lol

Comparing Blatche to McGee?

McGee is also an idiot, but he's clearly physically gifted.. any decent coach can make him a good player.

Spurs da champs
08-05-2012, 02:21 AM

:lol Diaw has always wanted to win? That's why he quit in Charlotte & has been consistently fat/overweight the last 3-4 seasons?

McGee is also an idiot, but he's clearly physically gifted.. any decent coach can make him a good player.

Blatche is clearly skilled, the right environment would do him right just as it did for McGee.

lakerhaterade
08-05-2012, 02:27 AM
:lol sense

:lol "diaw has always wanted to win"

DAF86
08-05-2012, 04:20 AM

In what world is Blatche not physically gifted?

Spursfanfromafar
08-05-2012, 08:13 AM
In what world is Blatche not physically gifted?

In the world where Blatche is *not as* physically gifted as McGee. The latter has a tremendous wingspan that makes him a unique shot blocker.

Blatche's game is more allround than McGee. Both are equally daft, while the former's character is of even more vile kind from his resume so far. And there have never been any complaints of McGee being physically out of shape, while Blatche had that precise problem last season.

I would be very surprised if the Spurs take in Blatche. He is the very anti-spur, character wise.

racm
08-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Dennis Rodman once wore silver and black, btw...

Namundy
08-05-2012, 08:54 AM
I live inside the beltway. Andray Blatche is an idiot. DO NOT WANT.

If you liked the Spurs ball movement last year, you definitely do not want that black hole on this team.

Ice009
08-05-2012, 08:57 AM
I'll take the chance on him. He could be a young Sjax ready to contribute big time on a championship contender.

People in NJ probably thought Sjax blew the chance he got and they probably thought he was on his way out of the league after they let him go. I'm pretty sure Sjax acted a similar way in NJ to the way Blatche was in Washington - not working hard enough, partying too much, getting caught up in the wrong stuff and not focusing solely on basketball. Coming to the Spurs really helped him a lot. Spurs need to sell Blatche on that.

elemento
08-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Do not want

Prefer Birdman tbh

Wild Cobra Kai
08-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Do not want

Prefer Birdman tbh

Birdman is a LOT older and will be losing his springs any day now, and still has his pedo accusation fight in front of him. According to a poster on this site, who's handle I cannot recall, the NBA has gone to great lengths to completely scrub him from their site. They wouldn't take those steps if there was nothing to it. His career could easily be over.

CGD
08-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Dude will be looking to rehab his image and career. What better way than to have the Spurs on your resume? Have to do it if its an option.

elemento
08-05-2012, 09:53 AM
They still have to prove he is guilty though.

Bird provides size and shot-blocking, something we really need. Blatche, while talented offensively, provides 0 defensively.

Plus, Birdman is not lazy and is not out of shape. Can you imagine having Diaw, Blair and Blatche in the same team. Whataburger will open 10 more stores in SA.

Age doesn't matter because it's gonna be a min 1-year sign. I think Birdman would help more, pedo accusations apart.

elemento
08-05-2012, 09:53 AM

Em-City
08-05-2012, 10:09 AM
I'll take the chance on him. He could be a young Sjax ready to contribute big time on a championship contender.

People in NJ probably thought Sjax blew the chance he got and they probably thought he was on his way out of the league after they let him go. I'm pretty sure Sjax acted a similar way in NJ to the way Blatche was in Washington - not working hard enough, partying too much, getting caught up in the wrong stuff and not focusing solely on basketball. Coming to the Spurs really helped him a lot. Spurs need to sell Blatche on that.

Terrible comparison. just terrible... :nope

Dr. John R. Brinkley
08-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Sjax's problem was that he cared too much and would often get emo and have tantrums (as far as I remember/understand it). I don't get the sense that Blatche has that same exact problem.

But what am I saying?! Of course he's going to be on the team. I just hope Duncan doesn't get hurt if he loses his starting spot!

wildbill2u
08-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Lots of players would rather play on a championship team like the Heat for the same money.

He might get more minutes here, but that's not guaranteed since Pop plays guys who are playing well within the system. He might wind up behind some guys with less talent but more familiar with the system.

Then the attitude factor might come to the fore and that wouldn't impress Pop one bit.

BanditHiro
08-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Dennis Rodman once wore silver and black, btw...

is that still the biggest name the spurs have ever signed?

spurs1990
08-05-2012, 01:47 PM
is that still the biggest name the spurs have ever signed?

Don't think so. See one Dominique Wilkins circa summer 1996.

therealtruth
08-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Blatche could potentially get minutes on the Spurs and even start. The guy is a good scorer, rebounder, and passer when he wants. That would move Diaw to the second unit. I don't believe in guaranteeing him anything but if he earns it he should definitely start.

Lincoln
08-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Jizzing yourself over a PF who shot 38% from the field. A big shooting 38% :lmao

SpurYank
08-05-2012, 01:58 PM
I live near DC and read everything about the Wizards. Andre Blatche has played ONLY when he wanted to, is uncooperative, not a team player, and the whole town celebrated his departure. The most prominent sports columnist on the Washington Post FINALLY said something nice about Ernie Grunfeld: that he got rid of the biggest problem the Wizards had.

Pop knows better.

ElNono
08-05-2012, 02:01 PM

SJax never played in NJ. Are you thinking Milwaukee or Charlotte?

lakerhaterade
08-05-2012, 02:10 PM
I live near DC and read everything about the Wizards. Andre Blatche has played ONLY when he wanted to, is uncooperative, not a team player, and the whole town celebrated his departure. The most prominent sports columnist on the Washington Post FINALLY said something nice about Ernie Grunfeld: that he got rid of the biggest problem the Wizards had.

Pop knows better.

Playing for the wizards, I'm surprised the guy didn't committ suicide. He underperformed because he played with a shit team, that's expected. Imagine if he's motivated? Give him a chance. He can't be worse than Bonner.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-05-2012, 02:52 PM

He played one season in NJ (2000-2001) before he came to the Spurs. He and By Scott clashed and he was sent on his way.

gambit1990
08-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Do not want

Prefer Birdman tbh

:rollin

007nites
08-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Blatche doesn't provide any interior defense which is pretty much all we need at this point. Fuck him.

Sense
08-05-2012, 03:14 PM
:lol Diaw has always wanted to win? That's why he quit in Charlotte & has been consistently fat/overweight the last 3-4 seasons?

You honestly think even if he tried he would have turned that team around?

His commitment to the team was obviously questionable, but even he knows a hopeless cause. Just look at what he did in PHX and with the Spurs.

lefty
08-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Blatche doesn't provide any interior defense which is pretty much all we need at this point. Fuck him.
YEah

We have Bonner for that

DPG21920
08-05-2012, 04:48 PM
The fact the Heat are interested is not good :lol. All else being equal, playing with Lebron for a team with a legit shot win a title and when they don't have as crowded of a front court likely puts the Spurs at a big disadvantage.

TD 21
08-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I don't even know why there's a debate about this; this couldn't be more basic. He's 6-11, athletic, skilled, only 26 and would cost the veteran's minimum. This franchise hasn't had anyone who checked all of those boxes since Duncan was young enough to still be referred to as athletic. The Spurs are known for their peerless culture and leadership, so if any team is suited to take on someone like this, it's them. Between Pop, Duncan and Jackson, no team has a more ideal group of mentors for him to learn from. If it even came close to all coming together (unlikely, but who cares given that there would be virtually no risk), he could eventually upgrade the biggest area of need on this team, which is the power forward position.

As far as his role, he'd be the fifth big (which would inevitably spell the end of Blair's time with the Spurs), with a chance of over taking Bonner by the end of the season. More likely, that would happen the following season, if they're pleased with what they see from him.

What I like about him is his versatility. When Splitter has his two or three injuries throughout the season, he could serve as the backup center (an obvious need, given that they don't have a third legit option at center). If Diaw succumbs to injury, he could serve as the starting power forward (also an obvious need, given that they have no secondary option to start; especially if Blair is traded). And when Bonner is Bonner come playoff time, he'd at least give them another option at backup power forward, because unlike Blair, he could actually play next to Splitter.

DPG, the Heat's big rotation is far more crowded. Between James, Battier, Lewis and Haslem, there's no minutes at power forward and between Bosh, Haslem and to a lesser extent Anthony, there's no minutes at center. With the Spurs, there's at least the possibility he overtakes Bonner by season's end and there's always a pretty good chance of Splitter getting injured.

Andthentherewas21
08-05-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't even know why there's a debate about this; this couldn't be more basic. He's 6-11, athletic, skilled, only 26 and would cost the veteran's minimum. This franchise hasn't had anyone who checked all of those boxes since Duncan was young enough to still be referred to as athletic. The Spurs are known for their peerless culture and leadership, so if any team is suited to take on someone like this, it's them. Between Pop, Duncan and Jackson, no team has a more ideal group of mentors for him to learn from. If it even came close to all coming together (unlikely, but who cares given that there would be virtually no risk), he could eventually upgrade the biggest area of need on this team, which is the power forward position.

As far as his role, he'd be the fifth big (which would inevitably spell the end of Blair's time with the Spurs), with a chance of over taking Bonner by the end of the season. More likely, that would happen the following season, if they're pleased with what they see from him.

What I like about him is his versatility. When Splitter has his two or three injuries throughout the season, he could serve as the backup center (an obvious need, given that they don't have a third legit option at center). If Diaw succumbs to injury, he could serve as the starting power forward (also an obvious need, given that they have no secondary option to start; especially if Blair is traded). And when Bonner is Bonner come playoff time, he'd at least give them another option at backup power forward, because unlike Blair, he could actually play next to Splitter.

DPG, the Heat's big rotation is far more crowded. Between James, Battier, Lewis and Haslem, there's no minutes at power forward and between Bosh, Haslem and to a lesser extent Anthony, there's no minutes at center. With the Spurs, there's at least the possibility he overtakes Bonner by season's end and there's always a pretty good chance of Splitter getting injured.

But hes not a player with a perfect past. He doesn't fit into the Spurs culture before coming here. The heat want him. He's not a true 7 footer. He's hasn't won DPOY so his defense sucks. He doesn't shoot the 3 at over 40% during the regular season. He has ALCs. He's not French

DPG21920
08-05-2012, 05:51 PM

Disagree - Tim/Tiago/Blair/Bonner/Diaw is more crowded. James and Battier aren't PF's even if Lebron can play that effectively and their line up looks great with him in that spot.

He should easily be able to beat out Battier & Lewis for minutes at PF if his head is on right. If they are looking for offense, he should beat out Anthony (who lost minutes as the season wore on).

ElNono
08-05-2012, 06:09 PM
He played one season in NJ (2000-2001) before he came to the Spurs. He and By Scott clashed and he was sent on his way.

Damn, and I actually checked and completely missed it. You're right.

Andthentherewas21
08-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Disagree - Tim/Tiago/Blair/Bonner/Diaw is more crowded. James and Battier aren't PF's even if Lebron can play that effectively and their line up looks great with him in that spot.

He should easily be able to beat out Battier & Lewis for minutes at PF if his head is on right. If they are looking for offense, he should beat out Anthony (who lost minutes as the season wore on).

I don't completely disagree, I would just throw out there that:
1. if the Spurs did get Blatche, pretty sure Blair would be gone. Add to that the DNP Duncan will get due to his age and Splitter's injury history, there are probably going to be a handful of games he would be guaranteed minutes.
2. Between Lebron, Wade, and Bosh, there isn't much offense left for guys that aren't 3 point specialists

TD 21
08-05-2012, 06:30 PM

It doesn't matter that James and Battier aren't natural PF's, what matters is that, on that team, with how they play, they'll both be playing PF. And the times they're not, Lewis or Haslem will be. So if, like the vast majority of finesse PF's, he's not interested in having to play C, he shouldn't even consider the Heat. And even if he's fine with it, he's still not going to play.

Realistically, he'd be competing with Lewis and Anthony to be the fourth big. But he can't stretch the floor to the extent Lewis can and he can't defend and block shots like Anthony, so I don't see him beating either out.

TDMVPDPOY
08-05-2012, 07:03 PM
isnt curry still with the heat? wouldnt that be crowded?

Hoops Czar
08-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Per Marc Stein:

Free agent rumble that just dribbled across the pond: Heat & Spurs among teams to express exploratory interest in free agent Andray Blatche

Game over.

SenorSpur
08-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Obviously, I would rather have had McGee. That said, if the Spurs are able to get this Blatche on the cheap, he's got some skills this team sorely needs so he'd certainly be worth a look.

I feel the Spurs structure, their system and their coaching methods would benefit this kid and possibly help turn his career around - if he's willing to embrace it and absorb it all.

DPG21920
08-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Everyone would rather McGee, but that was not even an option.

Redshadows
08-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Game over.
If Blatche wants a champ, he should join the Heat.

If he wants playing time, he should join the Spurs.

DPG21920
08-05-2012, 08:24 PM
I think his opportunity for PT is every bit as good with the Heat, or at least close enough to where it's not a difference maker.

If he's as good as posters think he is, he could beat out basically every big besides Bosh on the Heat.

Andthentherewas21
08-05-2012, 08:26 PM

He wants a contract above the minimum next year. As soon as he looks at Turiaf's contract with the Clips this season after coming from the Heat, he'll decide against them.

Ice009
08-05-2012, 08:42 PM

He played his first season in New Jersey. Byron Scott even started him for a while. Jack said he was friends with Stephon Marbury and they partied too much while he was there. Byron Scott said he had a golden opportunity that season to take advantage and he blew it, so they let him go.

My comparison is probably off comparing him to Blatche, Jack probably had a better overall attitude towards teammates and team ball.

spurs10
08-05-2012, 08:54 PM
I think their interest in Blatche definitely spells adios for Blair. After his dirty laundry hanging this summer he is likely as good as gone. I'm guessing Blatche has been offered a deal by the Spurs. He'll probably be with someone by the end of the week. It's an area where we are seriously lacking for sure.....

SenorSpur
08-05-2012, 09:03 PM
I think his opportunity for PT is every bit as good with the Heat, or at least close enough to where it's not a difference maker.

If he's as good as posters think he is, he could beat out basically every big besides Bosh on the Heat.

I've heard that the Heat, after their first championship, are committed to utlizing their smaller lineup that features Bosh at the 5 and James at the 4.

Of course nothing is a cinch and it's very possible PT could be neglibile no matter which team he signs with - especially if he doesn't solve his knuckleheaded tendencies.

DPG21920
08-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Exactly. If he can beat out Blair, Bonner and Boris for minutes, he can certainly beat out Haslem, Anthony & Battier too.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Exactly. If he can beat out Blair, Bonner and Boris for minutes, he can certainly beat out Haslem, Anthony & Battier too.

Miami's offense is very specialized. Their primary two scorers aren't good shooters, so they need people around them to space things like Bosh and Battier and Miller. Blatche doesn't fit that category, even less so if they go small like they are talking about doing full time. LeBron and Battier would play all minutes at the 4, and Blatche would be competing with the rest of the traditional bigs for the scraps backing up Bosh at center.

callo1
08-05-2012, 10:06 PM

Career Stats: Blocks per game

Bonner: .1
Blair: .4
Splitter: .5
Diaw: .6
Blatche: .9 '07-'08 he had 114 blocks which comes to 1.4 per game
TD: 2.2

An upgrade is an upgrade. He isnt old, and he still has an upside.

lefty
08-05-2012, 11:47 PM

And then Jax shitted on Scott in game 6 of the 2003 Finals

spurspokesman
08-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Obviously, I would rather have had McGee. That said, if the Spurs are able to get this Blatche on the cheap, he's got some skills this team sorely needs so he'd certainly be worth a look.

I feel the Spurs structure, their system and their coaching methods would benefit this kid and possibly help turn his career around - if he's willing to embrace it and absorb it all.

This

Spurs da champs
08-06-2012, 01:08 AM
You honestly think even if he tried he would have turned that team around?

His commitment to the team was obviously questionable, but even he knows a hopeless cause. Just look at what he did in PHX and with the Spurs.

If Diaw wanted to win, he wouldn't have let himself get out of shape & word is he gained even more weight heading into the Olympics.

http://www.london2012.com/athlete/diaw-boris-1102238/

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3724

20lb weight gain.

Ice009
08-06-2012, 03:39 AM
WTF Boris. wtf is he doing gaining 20 pounds? he definitely needs to slim down a bit. not good enough playing with MORE weight.

therealtruth
08-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Career Stats: Blocks per game

Bonner: .1
Blair: .4
Splitter: .5
Diaw: .6
Blatche: .9 '07-'08 he had 114 blocks which comes to 1.4 per game
TD: 2.2

An upgrade is an upgrade. He isnt old, and he still has an upside.

Splitter was a much better shot blocker this year and in particular preinjury.

racm
08-06-2012, 09:16 AM
The Spurs need a guy who can defend in the post and/or in the perimeter more than a shotblocker. Look at OKC, Ibaka alone wouldn't be an imposing big because he isn't great at man defense though he's quick enough to rotate. That's why they went for Perkins.

ChumpDumper
08-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Splitter was a much better shot blocker this year and in particular preinjury.How much better?

JonNOKC
08-06-2012, 04:39 PM
WTF Boris. wtf is he doing gaining 20 pounds? he definitely needs to slim down a bit. not good enough playing with MORE weight.

Boris isn't gaining weight - The 265 weight number is a true number and what he played at for the Spurs. NBA roster info is routinely wrong or falsified and often outdated. It has been awhile since Boris sniffed 245 - let's see where he's at come TC

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 04:47 PM
He was definitely thinner with the Spurs.

Kidd K
08-06-2012, 05:15 PM

I completely disagree.

Blatche is 25. He has (perhaps) 10 years of a career ahead of him. Getting limited minutes playing for Miami behind Bosh (or playing center which he isn't good at) isn't going to help his career much.

Meanwhile, he'd get more minutes and shots rotating around in SA to set himself up for a bigger contract later.

I could see him signing with SA if he seriously is just choosing between those two teams. I also think he'd probably "play better" in SA due to better coaching and less whiney/selfish leadership in the player pool.

Ex-Spurs tend to get decent money once they leave anyway. Even ex-Spurs scrubs.

lurker23
08-06-2012, 06:00 PM
While blocked shots don't necessarily equate to defensive prowess, you should probably at least use some per minute basis.

Blocked shots per 36 minutes (career):

Blatche: 1.4
Splitter: 1.2
Blair: 0.7
Diaw: 0.7
Bonner: 0.6

Blocked shots per 36 minutes (last season):

Splitter: 1.5
Blatche: 1.0
Diaw: 0.6
Blair: 0.3

http://bkref.com/tiny/gNXxO

crc21209
08-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Anything to get Blair and/or Bonner off this team. I think Blatche would be awesome next to TD, Diaw, and Splitter in the front court...

Kidd K
08-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Anything to get Blair and/or Bonner off this team. I think Blatche would be awesome next to TD, Diaw, and Splitter in the front court...

Seriously. Blatche would get a ton of credit too if the Spurs win. Heat already won, so if they lose he gets blamed. . .if they win, well they were supposed to win.

There's a lot more reasons for Blatche to play and win here than in Miami. I could easily see him coming here. But tbh, I'm skeptical that those are his only choices.

Seventyniner
08-06-2012, 07:20 PM
He played his first season in New Jersey. Byron Scott even started him for a while. Jack said he was friends with Stephon Marbury and they partied too much while he was there. Byron Scott said he had a golden opportunity that season to take advantage and he blew it, so they let him go.

My comparison is probably off comparing him to Blatche, Jack probably had a better overall attitude towards teammates and team ball.

Jack is definitely smarter in BBIQ and is more of a team player; he just has that "I don't give a f***" attitude that turns a lot of people off.

Not saying Baltche couldn't get better, but there's nothing yet to indicate that he will.

That said, getting him for the minimum is a no-brainer if Baltche wants it.

Edit: by "I don't give a f***" attitude I don't mean that Jack is lazy and indifferent, but that he doesn't care what happens to him or what people think of him

spursnatic
08-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Boris isn't gaining weight - The 265 weight number is a true number and what he played at for the Spurs. NBA roster info is routinely wrong or falsified and often outdated. It has been awhile since Boris sniffed 245 - let's see where he's at come TCWhat was his weight when he was in Phoenix?...I want him back in that shape....Been actually trying to look that up but can't find it

ace3g
08-06-2012, 07:58 PM
The kind of shape he is in

From yesterday:

http://distilleryimage5.instagram.com/6610ae0ade7311e19c6622000a1e89ba_7.jpg

From today:

http://distilleryimage11.instagram.com/b08888b0dfd411e1b93522000a1c8870_7.jpg

Spurtacus
08-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Money shouldn't be an option if he is receiving little interest in the free agent market and is already owed a nice sum by the Wizards. Playing time will be important and thus I don't see him coming to SA even if the Spurs showed interest in signing him to the minimum. He'll be behind Duncan, Diaw, Splitter at least.

callo1
08-06-2012, 08:06 PM
While blocked shots don't necessarily equate to defensive prowess, you should probably at least use some per minute basis.

Blocked shots per 36 minutes (career):

Blatche: 1.4
Splitter: 1.2
Blair: 0.7
Diaw: 0.7

Blocked shots per 36 minutes (last season):

Splitter: 1.5
Blatche: 1.0
Diaw: 0.6
Blair: 0.3

Understood, I thought about that, but then I remembered that comparing the Wizards to the Spurs was, well, laughable. No player on that team had a hint of motivation, and certainly did not play in a system conducive to team play.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-06-2012, 08:11 PM
http://media.oregonlive.com/oregonian/photo/2012/08/11397771-essay.jpg

He does look to be heading back to pudge rocking it.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-06-2012, 08:43 PM
http://media.oregonlive.com/oregonian/photo/2012/08/11397771-essay.jpg

He does look to be heading back to pudge rocking it.

Looks about the same as his time in SA last year.

ace3g
08-06-2012, 09:01 PM
The Heat are looking at Andray Blatche, but it’s not serious

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/06/the-heat-are-looking-at-andray-blatche-but-its-not-serious/

DMC
08-06-2012, 11:23 PM

No

spurspokesman
08-06-2012, 11:40 PM
The Heat are looking at Andray Blatche, but it’s not serious

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/06/the-heat-are-looking-at-andray-blatche-but-its-not-serious/

I can see him jizzing over the fact miami has interest. He doesnt seem like the type to challenge himself in San Antonio when he can ass pat his way to a ring in south beach. He clearly seems headed there if he has his choice.

G-Dawgg
08-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Fuck Andray Biatch... He's a chemistry killer. He is the ultimate anti-Spur. He does not know how to play team basketball and he never will. The Spurs play the game the right way. He can't.

He'll never sign in San Antonio, more importantly I doubt the Spurs would seriously consider him.

SenorSpur
08-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Fuck Andray Biatch... He's a chemistry killer. He is the ultimate anti-Spur. He does not know how to play team basketball and he never will. The Spurs play the game the right way. He can't.

He'll never sign in San Antonio, more importantly I doubt the Spurs would seriously consider him.

Blatche really doesn't have a lot of choices. If he comes to the Spurs, he wouldn't have a choice. Either he buys in or GTFO.

DesignatedT
08-07-2012, 01:17 AM
There isn't any one person that could come on this team and be a "chemistry killer" or some "lockroom cancer". With the big 3 here that just isn't possible. If the Spurs are seriously interested they will be up front with him and tell him how it's going to be. If he wants to try it at that point then cool.

G-Dawgg
08-07-2012, 05:28 AM
..he sucks so bad though... If he touches the ball, everybody will stand around watch him play by himself. Believe me. I'm not joking when I say that he doesn't understand the concept of team basketball.

I guess its possible that he can still learn....

benefactor
08-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Looks about the same as his time in SA last year.
Indeed...and I don't see why everyone is so hung up on Diaw carrying extra weight anyway. It actually seemed to help him defensively dealing with bigger players and he didn't seem to lose much quickness because of it.

Maddog
08-07-2012, 06:21 AM
I can see him jizzing over the fact miami has interest. He doesnt seem like the type to challenge himself in San Antonio when he can ass pat his way to a ring in south beach. He clearly seems headed there if he has his choice.

Reason why he would love Miami see #9
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/remembering-andray-blatche/2012/07/17/gJQAT5JmrW_blog.html

11 other reasons the Spurs are probably not really interested

Cane
08-07-2012, 06:58 AM
For the min it's a deal, and the Spurs aren't going to find much else at the bargain bin. Spurs desperately need size and athleticism at the 5 spot although Blatche obviously is about as raw and dumb as experienced players can be....Ian Mahinmi 2.0, sometimes these guys just need a change of venue and opportunities to compete :downspin:

Blatche will get minutes too. Duncan will likely average another career low in minutes, Splitter isn't cut out for heavy minutes and is fragile himself (plus Spurs might want to keep his value low), and that's about it when we're talking the centers of the team. Spurs could also use some breathing room when it comes to foul management for the 7 footers. Also the fewer minutes that undersized and/or fat players like Diaw, Blair, and Bonner have to play center, the better....

..he sucks so bad though... If he touches the ball, everybody will stand around watch him play by himself. Believe me. I'm not joking when I say that he doesn't understand the concept of team basketball.

I guess its possible that he can still learn....

Ginobili will make things happen with Blatche

spursnatic
08-07-2012, 07:02 AM
What was his weight when he was in Phoenix?...I want him back in that shape....Been actually trying to look that up but can't find it
Found it...He was 215 lbs when with Phoenix...Now he is atleast 240-245...Our Conditioning Coach really needs to work his ass off and get some of that weght off of him...I think he would be a much better player...It is actually Charlotte fault making him get that way so he could be their Center

JonNOKC
08-07-2012, 07:22 AM
Found it...He was 215 lbs when with Phoenix...Now he is atleast 240-245...Our Conditioning Coach really needs to work his ass off and get some of that weght off of him...I think he would be a much better player...It is actually Charlotte fault making him get that way so he could be their Center

I think he is in the 265 area and has been for at least a year now - as benefactor mentioned given his age and the role the Spurs are asking him to play I think Diaw would be fine at 240-250 range, maybe even better off in that range than getting too small and get pushed around in the post

Duncan2177
08-07-2012, 11:17 AM

And the spurs gave him a 2 year, $9.2 million dollar contract? Does the FO know he needs to loose weight? This is ridiculous.

TheSpursFNRule
08-07-2012, 03:29 PM
can you guys shut the fuck about Diaws weight? Diaw is gonna be fine he is a good fit. Lets focus on getting a proper 4th big that isn't Blair or Bonner.

Bruno
08-07-2012, 06:33 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/wizards-playing-free-agent-waiting-game/2012/08/07/6169b7e4-e0a7-11e1-a19c-fcfa365396c8_blog.html

San Antonio and Miami have both reportedly expressed exploratory interest in Blatche but teams have yet to make a serious pitch to employ the former Wizard, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

So either Spurs have given up or they are waiting on something. Both are solid options. Spurs could have decided to give up on Blatche after a talk with him and a more in depth look at his situation. They could too wait the end of Olympics to be sure everyone is healthy or wait to see what they can get for Blair in a trade.

DPG21920
08-07-2012, 09:26 PM
If they really wanted him they very easily could have made an offer knowing highely likely it's a min offer. There is nothing to wait on because whatever the variables there is no risk. It's more likely that they aren't really interested.

Seventyniner
08-07-2012, 09:36 PM
And the spurs gave him a 2 year, $9.2 million dollar contract? Does the FO know he needs to loose weight? This is ridiculous.

As a PF, we don't want Diaw at 215 anyway. There aren't many post-up PFs around, but at 215 he may as well be a SF.

spursnatic
08-07-2012, 09:50 PM
As a PF, we don't want Diaw at 215 anyway. There aren't many post-up PFs around, but at 215 he may as well be a SF.But he was a beast at that weight, he could play the 1-5 and did it well...Not many people with that kind of talent...Think the last person you could ask to do that and did it well was Magic Johnson

Spurs da champs
08-07-2012, 10:00 PM
But he was a beast at that weight, he could play the 1-5 and did it well...Not many people with that kind of talent...Think the last person you could ask to do that and did it well was Magic Johnson

LeBron can and has.

Diaw does look bulkier tho, he needs to tone down and build his stamina up.

SenorSpur
08-07-2012, 10:57 PM
can you guys shut the fuck about Diaws weight? Diaw is gonna be fine he is a good fit. Lets focus on getting a proper 4th big that isn't Blair or Bonner.

Yeah, let's redirect back to the original subject - the possibility of the Spurs adding Blatche.

SpurSwag
08-08-2012, 12:30 AM
I know the guy has really questionable work ethic and has made some really bone headed decision, but at his best in Washington, i remember thinking he had the potential to be one of the better 4's in the game. He put together some really dominant stretches at times, showing off good range, inside game, and even some nice ball handling skills. I've read that he's willing to accept the minimum, so why the hell not? Should he work hard and put in the effort, I see no reason why he couldn't be starting next to Tim come playoff time. Then again, I've always liked something about Blatche, even when he's been at his worst.

Kidd K
08-08-2012, 12:57 AM
Money shouldn't be an option if he is receiving little interest in the free agent market and is already owed a nice sum by the Wizards. Playing time will be important and thus I don't see him coming to SA even if the Spurs showed interest in signing him to the minimum. He'll be behind Duncan, Diaw, Splitter at least.

Tbh I don't think Splitter is really scaring anyone away from thinking they won't have a chance at getting played above him.

Splitter is basically a failed project imo. He's nowhere near what I thought he'd be. Yeah, I had high expectations, but he isn't even meeting up to my then changed lower expectations. I could easily see Blatche get playing time ahead of Splitter if he plays anything that remotely resembles a tough defense while not choking around the basket on offense.

Splitter's defense is mediocre. . .his offense is okay. . .when he's open or half open. His 1v1 post offense is nothing special though. He gets most of his shit on pick and rolls or cuts.

Then again, Blatche does sorta strike me as one of those lazy thug type players like Carmello Anthony. Still, I don't think he'd really be any worse than Splitter. And with how inconsistent and injury prone Splitter is, Blatch would get plenty of time out there.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Blatche is a complete bonehead, almost in the league of Ricky Davis, but if he wants to come to the SPurs for a shot at redemption on a min salary, why not. Huge physical talent, and maybe Pop/Tim/Manu/Tony can turn him around ala Jax.

gambit1990
08-08-2012, 01:47 AM
his official twitter account, @andrayblatche, has been suspended.

ace3g
08-08-2012, 01:59 AM
his official twitter account, @andrayblatche, has been suspended.

that isn't his twitter handle, this is:

https://twitter.com/drayblatche

gambit1990
08-08-2012, 02:01 AM
that isn't his twitter handle, this is:

https://twitter.com/drayblatche

:lol my bad.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-08-2012, 07:10 AM

G-Dawgg
08-08-2012, 07:15 AM
Diaw's a fat-ass... he doesn't even look like an athlete. Anybody getting paid millions of bucks to be an athlete should earn their size by hitting the weights, not by fuckin' eating Mcdonalds....

spurs10
08-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Diaw's a fat-ass... he doesn't even look like an athlete. Anybody getting paid millions of bucks to be an athlete should earn their size by hitting the weights, not by fuckin' eating Mcdonalds....
He's French, I'm sure he can do better than McDonalds. Escargot, filet mignon, brie, and baquettes.....all with extra butter.
Seriously, I thought he played great with a lot of hustle. He made the Gasol brothers work.

ace3g
08-10-2012, 12:56 AM
So, after the Dwight trade, should the Spurs be more aggressive to get Blatche to add size to the roster (and potential?)?

Sean Cagney
08-10-2012, 12:57 AM
so, after the dwight trade, should the spurs be more aggressive to get blatche to add size to the roster (and potential?)?

yessssssss. Period. Unless you think garbage ass Bonner or Blair will make a difference! WHICH THEY WILL NOT! They are what they are, no upside now to them they are out of that. Blatche yeah he is an idiot at times etc. and immature, but he has crazy upside if he has the right coach and players around him IMO, which team better for that?

TDMVPDPOY
08-10-2012, 01:41 AM
panic mode now....

slick'81
08-10-2012, 02:04 AM
we got bonner/blair ftw

Halberto
08-10-2012, 02:05 AM
Blatche is not an answer for Howard. Kiss our 5 ring dream goodbye

Bruno
08-10-2012, 06:43 AM
The Howard trade changes nothing for Blatche. Personally, I still think Spurs should really try to sign him. I would be a big fan of that that low risk high reward move.

timvp
08-10-2012, 07:03 AM
I think the Howard trade means signing Blatche makes more sense. The Spurs need some sort of unforeseen break and landing a motivated Blatche for peanuts could potentially be a difference-maker.

Overcoming one hurdle (OKC) was going to be difficult enough. Now the Lakers very well could be an even bigger hurdle than OKC was ... so the equations are changing.

timvp
08-10-2012, 07:03 AM
I think the Howard trade means signing Blatche makes more sense. The Spurs need some sort of unforeseen break and landing a motivated Blatche for peanuts could potentially be a difference-maker.

Overcoming one hurdle (OKC) was going to be difficult enough. Now the Lakers very well could be an even bigger hurdle than OKC was ... so the equations are changing.

xmas1997
08-10-2012, 07:17 AM

It should force their hand, they have to counter this move now.

bklynspursfan
08-10-2012, 08:28 AM
This has to get done. He's a big body who is skilled and needs some guidance/mentoring. Part of me just does not see it happening, but hopefully I'm wrong and the Spurs take the low risk high reward move.

SenorSpur
08-10-2012, 09:42 AM
The impending Howard trade absolutely DOES and SHOULD create a sense of urgency for the Spurs to upgrade their frontline. I don't know how much of an upgrade Blatche would be over Blair, as a reserve big, but certainly the additional size factor would be an asset.

Redshadows
08-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Howard could eat Diaw, Splitter, Bonner and Blair without breaking a sweat.

Redshadows
08-10-2012, 10:11 AM
I think Spurs could try to use more small ball more against the Lakers so they could score from transition.

Damn, I hate small ball.

Spurs da champs
08-10-2012, 10:15 AM
The impending Howard trade absolutely DOES and SHOULD create a sense of urgency for the Spurs to upgrade their frontline.

It does; but they wont.

I don't know how much of an upgrade Blatche would be over Blair, as a reserve big, but certainly the additional size factor would be an asset.
A motivated Blatche if he joins would be the 2nd best big IMO.

gambit1990
08-10-2012, 10:43 AM
A motivated Blatche if he joins would be the 2nd best big IMO.

no doubt. a motivated blatche could be the best big man duncan has played with since robinson.

Leetonidas
08-10-2012, 10:49 AM
I don't see how the Lakers trading for a player shorter than Bynum and far less skilled on offense means we absolutely have to shore our front line up. I mean if our front line was enough to beat then before, why does getting Howard change that? Bynum was our biggest problem on that team

Bruno
08-10-2012, 10:54 AM
The biggest consequence of the Howard trade regarding Blatche is that it may push Heat to take another route. Lakers have a good chance of reaching the final and Heat should focus on countering them. Their priority should be even more than before to add a big defensive minded center.

Leetonidas
08-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Hopefully that leaves him for us then, Spurs need to get on it. I wanted him before the trade, I'm just saying the trade doesn't really change anything. We need a PF either way and he looks to be the cheapest/best available. I really hope Spurs are just waiting til the Olympics are over

SenorSpur
08-10-2012, 11:03 AM
I don't see how the Lakers trading for a player shorter than Bynum and far less skilled on offense means we absolutely have to shore our front line up. I mean if our front line was enough to beat then before, why does getting Howard change that? Bynum was our biggest problem on that team

Wrong. While Bynum was a much better offensive player and has some tremendous games against the Spurs, Howard wreaks far more havoc on the defensive end and can literally shut down the paint penetrations by himself. Howard presents a myriad of issues because of his athleticism, strength and defensive prowess. The Spurs have no answer.

Even though the two teams haven't matched up in the playoffs in a few seasons, the Spurs has been overmatched against bigger frontlines for some time now. All you need to remember is how the Spurs got their asses waxed and outmuscled against the Grizzlies in the 2011 playoffs, with exactly the same frontline they have now.

Make no mistake about it. The Spurs have had frontline deficiencies for about 3 years now and STILL have not yet addressed them. Meanwhile, Duncan enters the twilight of his career. At a time when he should have as much help as possible, he's still forced to carry the load because the rest of his frontline partners are undersized, underskilled or both.

pad300
08-10-2012, 11:04 AM

It's not just Bynum for Howard. It's also adding Nash.

Nash will make their offense better. Especially for a guy like Howard, with his physical gifts, who is devastating when he gets the ball in the right spot at the right time. Howard's never had a PG anywhere near as good as Nash.

Meanwhile, the Laker's big weakness, defense, is also getting a huge upgrade. Howard as a defensive centerpiece is a huge upgrade for them. He will improve both their post defense, and with his mobility to switch over and block a shot on a penetrator, their perimeter defense...

Net, the combination is to upgrade an already strong offense, and an overhaul of a a weak defense...

SenorSpur
08-10-2012, 11:05 AM
It's not just Bynum for Howard. It's also adding Nash.

Nash will make their offense better. Especially for a guy like Howard, with his physical gifts, who is devastating when he gets the ball in the right spot at the right time. Howard's never had a PG anywhere near as good as Nash.

Meanwhile, the Laker's big weakness, defense, is also getting a huge upgrade. Howard as a defensive centerpiece is a huge upgrade for them. He will improve both their post defense, and with his mobility to switch over and block a shot on a penetrator, their perimeter defense...

Net, the combination is to upgrade an already strong offense, and an overhaul of a a weak defense...

Bingo!

Leetonidas
08-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Oh I agree for the most part, I just meant if Spurfan thought LA wasn't a huge concern I don't see why they are soooo much better now. How Howard regains his form after back surgery will be key as well because as we all know, back problems can spell the end for talented big men quickly.

Sadly I have the feeling the Spurs are going to try and counter this by adding more offensive firepower. Scary thought though, Howard shutting down penetration lanes while their defenders can stay at home on our shooters...I just hope OKC and LA meet before we meet one of them in the playoffs.

Leetonidas
08-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Since when were the Lakers a bad defensive team?

pad300
08-10-2012, 11:22 AM

Since their starting perimeter defense consisted of

MWP - old
Kobe - old and dogs it defensively to save energy for bad shots
Fisher - really old

Switching Fisher for Sessions didn't help - replacing really old with bad defender wasn't much of an upgrade.

Getting Nash makes it:
MWP - old
Kobe - old and dogs it defensively to save energy for bad shots
Nash - really old and a bad defender to boot

SenorSpur
08-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Oh I agree for the most part, I just meant if Spurfan thought LA wasn't a huge concern I don't see why they are soooo much better now. How Howard regains his form after back surgery will be key as well because as we all know, back problems can spell the end for talented big men quickly.

Sadly I have the feeling the Spurs are going to try and counter this by adding more offensive firepower. Scary thought though, Howard shutting down penetration lanes while their defenders can stay at home on our shooters...I just hope OKC and LA meet before we meet one of them in the playoffs.

That is the said part. OKC was successful in shutting down the Spurs penetration in the playoffs, as were the Grizzlies the year before. Imagine how much of a defensive factor Howard would be in shutting down penetrations for the Fakers. This isn't good news for the Spurs.

Leetonidas
08-10-2012, 11:23 AM
But their perimeter defense is even worse now with Nash. They always had a great interior defense with two legit 7 footers patrolling the paint

SenorSpur
08-10-2012, 11:24 AM

Fakers were a horrible defensive team last year. Look up how well the opposition shot the ball against them, and from behind the arc. Their pick and roll defense, and transition defense, was horrendous all year long.

SenorSpur
08-10-2012, 11:26 AM
But their perimeter defense is even worse now with Nash. They always had a great interior defense with two legit 7 footers patrolling the paint

That was true if you allowed them to get you in half court. They were terrible in transition. That's how the Thunder was successful. They ran the Fakers off the court and forced the Fakers to go smaller because Bynum couldn't keep up.

cd98
08-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Bynum was 3rd in the league in shot blocking last year. I still think Howard is an upgrade, but I don't know that he makes that much of a difference on defense given that Bynum was pretty good in his own right.

What will be interesting is to see if Howard and Gasol can play together. Bynum couldn't adjust his game and so when the Lakers went with Bynum, Gasol became a non factor. But if Howard and Gasol (Gasol is a little out of his prime) can play together, it will probably be the best twin tower team given that they still have Kobe at small forward and Nash at point guard. I'm not saying that Howard and Gasol are better than Tim and David, it's just that David's back made them less effective, and the years that both Tim and David were in top shape, the rest of the Spurs line up wasn't as good as the current Laker line up.

pad300
08-10-2012, 11:44 AM

One on one that made them Ok, but neither Gasol nor Bynum could deal with a pick and roll, due to lack of mobility and effort respectively. And Bynum is still a work in progress defensively - good post moves and/or an ability to step out and hit the mid-range jumpshot are things he just doesn't deal well with.

Obstructed_View
08-10-2012, 01:02 PM
The Spurs' window was all but closed last year. They have little choice but to swing for the fences anywhere they can, regardless of what the Lakers do.

Duncan2177
08-10-2012, 01:07 PM

Were fucked.

AFBlue
08-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Blatche = Dwight-lite = Savior

G-Dawgg
08-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Blatche could be an all-star if he learned how to play the game and weren't such an immature selfish prick...
But there is a reason he has limited interest in the league.

spurspokesman
08-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Blatche could be an all-star if he learned how to play the game and weren't such an immature selfish prick...
But there is a reason he has limited interest in the league.

Would love to see him reach his potential in San Antonio. Gambling is the only option to secure a worthwile bigman at this point and this guy is worth a roll of the dice.

racm
08-11-2012, 01:06 AM
I'm pretty sure Pop and RC are looking to do moves with the Dwight trade. I just hope it isn't something as knee-jerky as trading Leonard for a recognizable name.

Signing Blatche isn't a bad idea.

jon123spurs
08-11-2012, 01:18 AM
I think now we must sign blatche. What other choice do we have. Its either a nut case or a pair of two chokers in Bonner and Blair. I'll take the nutcase. Get it done Rc.

Kidd K
08-11-2012, 01:31 AM

Tbh, I don't think Dwight would really abuse Diaw too much. Diaw could sorta guard Gasol too, but Gasol is much better at abusing his height advantage than Dwight.

I also wouldn't sell the idea that Duncan will be put on Dwight instead of Gasol, and try to get away with Diaw and Splitter on Gasol for as long as possible.

Obviously Bonner and Blair have no prayer against either though. . .

racm
08-11-2012, 01:56 AM
How does Pau guard the 3 point line, btw?

Spurs da champs
08-11-2012, 05:19 AM
Would love to see him reach his potential in San Antonio. Gambling is the only option to secure a worthwile bigman at this point and this guy is worth a roll of the dice.

Well it really isn't a gamble seeing as he'd be signed with the veterans minimum.

8FOR!3
08-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Tbh, I don't think Dwight would really abuse Diaw too much. Diaw could sorta guard Gasol too, but Gasol is much better at abusing his height advantage than Dwight.

I also wouldn't sell the idea that Duncan will be put on Dwight instead of Gasol, and try to get away with Diaw and Splitter on Gasol for as long as possible.

Obviously Bonner and Blair have no prayer against either though. . .

Gasol's a legit 7 footer though, DH's only 6'10. There's a big difference in being 2 inches shorter than the guy you're guarding and 4.

Spurs4#5
08-11-2012, 01:21 PM
I really don't see what the mass hysteria is?...bynum was leaps and bounds better than. Dwight on the offensive end...defensively Dwight is a bit better maybe even equal to Bynum...i see this as a win for the spurs...dwight Howard is not that good of a player...his name is what has drummed up how good he is...not his play

Spurs4#5
08-11-2012, 01:23 PM
The reason to sign blatche would to replace Blair and that's it...hr would never replace Bonner because of the current system the spurs play on offense...they need a stretch four

Spurs4#5
08-11-2012, 01:27 PM
This is how the matchups would go against the Lakers...duncan or splitter guards Dwight, diaw or splitter guards gasol, green/leonard guards kobe/dumbshit (formally known as metta world peace), and parker guards Nash...doesnt seem like theres that much of a match up difference between the two teams in the starting lineup....our bench will be far superior to the Lakers

Spurs4#5
08-11-2012, 01:28 PM
U also have to remember the have mike brown as their head coach so that's an advantage we have in every matchup with them

sananspursfan21
08-11-2012, 01:31 PM
I really don't see what the mass hysteria is?...bynum was leaps and bounds better than. Dwight on the offensive end...defensively Dwight is a bit better maybe even equal to Bynum...i see this as a win for the spurs...dwight Howard is not that good of a player...his name is what has drummed up how good he is...not his play

Howard is waaaay better rebounder though.

spurraider21
08-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Howard is waaaay better rebounder though.

Bynum had 30 rebounds against us. Im all for him leaving

therealtruth
08-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Bynum had 30 rebounds against us. Im all for him leaving

Yeah Dwight would have got 60.

SenorSpur
08-11-2012, 07:49 PM
The reason to sign blatche would to replace Blair and that's it...hr would never replace Bonner because of the current system the spurs play on offense...they need a stretch four

They need a stretch four that can hit shots in the playoffs. Not one that folds like chair under pressure.

timtonymanu
08-11-2012, 07:54 PM
They need a stretch four that can hit shots in the playoffs. Not one that folds like chair under pressure.

Also

Last time I remembered, Diaw can hit the 3. So Bonner becomes even more useless.

xmas1997
08-11-2012, 08:18 PM
It seems to me all this Blatche talk is nothing but conjecture or wishful thinking at this point because we have heard nothing concrete about the Spurs going after him other than one small report of "expressing an interest".
A potential headcase like him would surely make Pop explore the option on a more personal level, don't you think?
I do. Pop is not known for suffering fools gladly. :flag:

ThaBigFundamental21
08-11-2012, 08:50 PM
We all know what Blatche could be. But he is a player who will most likely NEVER reach his potential. There is something wrong inside of his head, seems to be more than maturity issues. The guy is completely mixed up. I honestly don't know if he is even worth giving a shot. Sure the cost should be low, but the chances of positive results are slim and none.
With that being said, what choices do the Spurs really have?

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Tbh, I don't think Dwight would really abuse Diaw too much.
:lmao

Sean Cagney
08-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Yeah Dwight would have got 60.

:rollin:lol:lol:lmao

Sean Cagney
08-11-2012, 10:46 PM
The Spurs' window was all but closed last year. They have little choice but to swing for the fences anywhere they can, regardless of what the Lakers do.

Last year the stars aligned for the Spurs later in the year and yes I believe that was by far their best shot at another title! This year it's a longer year and players are older etc. etc. I know they will have more chemistry with Diaw, Jax and Patty etc. but other teams like LA and Miami got better and OKC will be better.

Brazil
08-11-2012, 10:49 PM

this

I don't even understand why the spurs fans are so mad at the howard move

Sean Cagney
08-11-2012, 10:55 PM
this

I don't even understand why the spurs fans are so mad at the howard move

Because I am guessing we don't want to lose to LA in the playoffs for the third time in a row :depressed. Why couldn't we have met them last year when they were down some and beaten them for old times sake? Now they reload and are better again. True the Spurs are not contenders, but most don't want to see Kobe ring again to get that 6th because of Jordan talks! If so he got alot of help to do it.

Brazil
08-11-2012, 11:10 PM

Because I am guessing we don't want to lose to LA in the playoffs for the third time in a row :depressed. Why couldn't we have met them last year when they were down some and beaten them for old times sake? Now they reload and are better again. True the Spurs are not contenders, but most don't want to see Kobe ring again to get that 6th because of Jordan talks! If so he got alot of help to do it.

Lakers won't ring and even if they ring this one would be a new robert horry for Kobe anyway.

ace3g
08-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Update on Blatche, he just had his 4th annual youth basketball camp

http://centralny.ynn.com/content/top_stories/595721/hundreds-turn-out-for-fourth-annual-andray-blatche-basketball-camp/

DPG21920
08-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Damn it, ACE :lol

ace3g
08-18-2012, 12:06 AM
? What did I do this time

*Did you think it was going to be

@WojYahooNBA

Spurs have agreed to vet min contract with Andray Blatche

MR.SILVER&BLack
08-18-2012, 12:18 AM
WTF? is this for real?

Edit: lol didnt read DPG's comment.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-18-2012, 12:22 AM
WTF? is this for real?

You must have gotten an F in reading comprehension.

MR.SILVER&BLack
08-18-2012, 12:24 AM
You must have gotten an F in reading comprehension.
:lol my mistake. didnt read DPG's comment or the comment before.

ace3g
08-18-2012, 08:48 PM
He lives these days in Houston, where he is working out with former NBA player, coach and general manager John Lucas to polish his image and improve his body and his game.

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2012/08/andray_blatche_visits_his_syra.html

Wild Cobra Kai
08-18-2012, 08:54 PM

If he's working with Lucas, he might be salvageable. He works with players with both physical and attitude problems. TJ Ford went to him after his first near-paralysis episode in Milwaukee. They worked on totally re-doing his game and jump shot. Luc will work his ass off, all day every day, and Pop would seem like a saviour.

ace3g
08-19-2012, 01:31 PM

Here is another article from the same site with more in depth interview with Blatche and how he is trying to change his image:

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2012/08/andray_blatche_released_by_the.html#incart_river_d efault

“It’s something I love to do. It doesn’t matter if it’s the Heat or the Spurs or the D League. Whatever. As long as I’m back on the court playing ball."

At least we know the Spurs interest is legit.

*EDIT* Seems that was something the writer brought up in a question and he just responded to the rumor.

-21-
08-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Looks like he's trying. Maybe we should sign him with his buddy N'Diaye.

RodNIc91
08-19-2012, 02:26 PM
How about it Spurs151 have you heard any news recently?

Bruno
08-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Sign him.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Here is another article from the same site with more in depth interview with Blatche and how he is trying to change his image:

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2012/08/andray_blatche_released_by_the.html#incart_river_d efault

At least we know the Spurs interest is legit.

*EDIT* Seems that was something the writer brought up in a question and he just responded to the rumor.

I'd be skeptical if it were anyone but Luc. He won't work on changing his image, which is more or less irrelevant. Luc will actually change Andray as a person, making him recognize what his shortcomings are and working on them. He's sort of the Athlete Whisperer. Even if they work on no basketball, he'll be a better player.

spurraider21
08-19-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm tired of our "interest". I don't get the hesitation. He can be had for a ridiculous one year minimum deal and is young and talented. And the spurs could always use a big. He's talented but is a head case. What better environment than Sam Antonio where he'd have a bench role behind a role model like Duncan. The fact that he hasn't been signed angers me
Why the wait?

ace3g
08-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Well if the rumored Patterson trade happens, Spurs might have to wait to see how the numbers add up (Spurs want to stay under luxury tax).

It is up to Blatche where he wants to sign, Spurs can't really do anything about that.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-19-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm tired of our "interest". I don't get the hesitation. He can be had for a ridiculous one year minimum deal and is young and talented. And the spurs could always use a big. He's talented but is a head case. What better environment than Sam Antonio where he'd have a bench role behind a role model like Duncan. The fact that he hasn't been signed angers me
Why the wait?

Because a contract signed at gunpoint is illegal? They can't fucking MAKE him sign. He's off getting his shit together, so chill, beyotch.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Well if the rumored Patterson trade happens, Spurs might have to wait to see how the numbers add up (Spurs want to stay under luxury tax).

It is up to Blatche where he wants to sign, Spurs can't really do anything about that.

If it comes down to money and they are under the gun, they could always cut Blair.

swaggerjackson
08-19-2012, 06:34 PM
What is the rumored Patrick Patterson trade? Are there any details? The last tiime I read it was just someone on hoopshypes forum saying the spurs were interested in him but they deal could not go down until later in the month because of some contractual business. Is there any more to that?

Wild Cobra Kai
08-19-2012, 07:39 PM
What is the rumored Patrick Patterson trade? Are there any details? The last tiime I read it was just someone on hoopshypes forum saying the spurs were interested in him but they deal could not go down until later in the month because of some contractual business. Is there any more to that?

Probably not. I'm sure our rumors wind up on other boards, too.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
08-19-2012, 08:23 PM
I've seen people mention TD as being a mentor to him. I'm thinking SJax would be more likely, even though it's also sort of unlikely at the same time, so to speak.

Andthentherewas21
08-19-2012, 08:23 PM
The only rumor I've seen was something like Blair, Neal, (maybe Byars) plus a 1st, for Patterson. However I'm pretty sure that was from someone on ST, so some may want to consider the source.

ace3g
08-19-2012, 08:36 PM
This is the original source for the trade: http://forums.hoopshype.com/forums/index.php?topic=76187.0

We discussed the trade rumor starting here: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202184&page=3

swaggerjackson
08-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Gotcha. I like the idea of going after Patterson but I doubt the Rockets are looking for multiple players back seeing as though they already have somewhere around 20 players on payroll. But Patterson and Blatche sound better than Blair and Bonner. Continuity helps win games early in the season but after 82 games it becomes less of an advantage. Bring on some new guys!

Wild Cobra Kai
08-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Gotcha. I like the idea of going after Patterson but I doubt the Rockets are looking for multiple players back seeing as though they already have somewhere around 20 players on payroll. But Patterson and Blatche sound better than Blair and Bonner. Continuity helps win games early in the season but after 82 games it becomes less of an advantage. Bring on some new guys!

If they take back Neal and Blair, they can cut them, so it's almost a 1 for 0 trade. Just sayin...if they're trying to dump salary

spurraider21
08-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Free agents don't have the luxury to sit around at this point as teams rosters fill up. There has been no report of the Spurs officially offering Blatche a contract. He knows he needs an image repair. He's getting paid via amnesty. If a contender offers him a one year "prove it" deal he'd take it and likely command MLE level money

Wild Cobra Kai
08-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Free agents don't have the luxury to sit around at this point as teams rosters fill up. There has been no report of the Spurs officially offering Blatche a contract. He knows he needs an image repair. He's getting paid via amnesty. If a contender offers him a one year "prove it" deal he'd take it and likely command MLE level money

No one is paying him MLE money. He wouldn't get to keep most of it anyway. There is a penalty on salary for an amnestied players over the minumum. Anything over minimum is taxed at a high rate to re-pay the team that amnestied him. The NBA isn't going to allow them to double dip.

SpurNation
08-19-2012, 11:27 PM

True. But the Spurs, I would think, would be the best destination for him to wind up to garnish playing time if it were a choice amongst contenders.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
08-19-2012, 11:43 PM

It is his decision, but have you heard of a lot of teams knocking down his door though? Just curious.

Andthentherewas21
08-19-2012, 11:54 PM
This is the original source for the trade: http://forums.hoopshype.com/forums/index.php?topic=76187.0

We discussed the trade rumor starting here: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202184&page=3

Thanks Ace, I knew it was around here somewhere but couldn't find it.

At this point its worth a shot for the Spurs. And I can understand a scenario where Houston would want Neal (he couldn't be much worse on D than Kevin Martin, and he can score) so he wouldn't be a bad replacement.

Only thing I don't get is what Toronto, Orlando, or Washington would get out of all this. All of those teams are at least 2-3 deep at both C and PF. It wouldn't make any sense for Orlando to give up any draft picks since they are clearly rebuilding and their rookies from this draft are going to be struggling to get time already. And Blair makes less than a million so not exactly a huge salary dump if that is what a team is trading to get him for.

But if it gets the Spurs a front-court with more potential the Bonner-Blair, then I'm for it.

DesignatedT
08-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Neal, Blair and Bonner for Patterson and Livingston would pretty much be the best possible thing to happen to the Spurs.

Hoops Czar
08-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Neal, Blair and Bonner for Patterson and Livingston would pretty much be the best possible thing to happen to the Spurs.

AND a 1st round draft pick. No thanks.

DesignatedT
08-20-2012, 12:46 AM
Give them the pick. It will be like #28 anyway.

The Spurs would be getting rid of the 3 weak links on the roster while adding a capable big man who can play next to Duncan, No - brainer.

Andthentherewas21
08-20-2012, 01:28 AM
Give them the pick. It will be like #28 anyway.

The Spurs would be getting rid of the 3 weak links on the roster while adding a capable big man who can play next to Duncan, No - brainer.

Add in Spurs are in Win-Now mode and the only two 1st round draft picks that weren't stashed overseas and actually contributed in their rookie year during the past decade were George Hill and Beno Udrih. (Kawhi wasn't the Spurs draft pick).

Bruno
08-20-2012, 02:09 AM
If Spurs need to give up a first round pick for a player of Patterson's level, they better keep the pick and sign Blatche who seems motivated to save his career.

Signing Blatche and then trading away Blair and Neal for second round picks would be a nice end for this offseason.

Spurs da champs
08-20-2012, 02:38 AM
Spurs are very passive when it comes to signing talented free agents;.why else would Blatche consider D League if they weren't?

spurraider21
08-20-2012, 04:03 AM
No one is paying him MLE money. He wouldn't get to keep most of it anyway. There is a penalty on salary for an amnestied players over the minumum. Anything over minimum is taxed at a high rate to re-pay the team that amnestied him. The NBA isn't going to allow them to double dip.

Is that for the duration of his original contract with the wizards? I thought if he signs a 1 year deal this year, he can then sign for whatever he wants next year

Wild Cobra Kai
08-20-2012, 07:25 AM
Is that for the duration of his original contract with the wizards? I thought if he signs a 1 year deal this year, he can then sign for whatever he wants next year

No. The recoup lasts as long as his amnesty. If he gets enough money, the Wiz get completely paid back.

No one will want to pay him anyway. They already know that the Wiz are on the hook. Why assume the risk of the salary? If you pay him big, you are taking a risk you don't need to. If he continues to fuck up, you're on the hook for the money instead of the Wiz. Dumb.

spurraider21
08-20-2012, 01:37 PM
No. The recoup lasts as long as his amnesty. If he gets enough money, the Wiz get completely paid back.

No one will want to pay him anyway. They already know that the Wiz are on the hook. Why assume the risk of the salary? If you pay him big, you are taking a risk you don't need to. If he continues to fuck up, you're on the hook for the money instead of the Wiz. Dumb.

I see. Thnx for the info. I still don't see the risk of a 1 year vet minimum deal. Money that is usually given just to fill empty roster spots can be used on a young, talented player, with size we need. ugh

gambit1990
08-20-2012, 03:09 PM
i wonder what the spurs could be waiting on if they are reportedly interested. maybe to trade blair? i'm aware of blatche's past, but i'm surprised no one has snagged him... if he's willing to play for the d league then he's obviously willing to play for not a lot of money.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-20-2012, 06:15 PM
i wonder what the spurs could be waiting on if they are reportedly interested. maybe to trade blair? i'm aware of blatche's past, but i'm surprised no one has snagged him... if he's willing to play for the d league then he's obviously willing to play for not a lot of money.

I think Andray is the "hold up". He is working with John Lucas, and that tends to be a kind of open ended thing. He'll likely pick a destination when he's done.