PDA

View Full Version : Steel and aluminum tariffs...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

CosmicCowboy
03-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Monumentally stupid. Trump is tripping off the deep end.

spurraider21
03-01-2018, 02:27 PM

spurraider21
03-01-2018, 02:28 PM
Free* Trade

sickdsm
03-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Cue retaliation grain imports in 3,2,1...........

hater
03-01-2018, 02:42 PM
As long as AR15s are not made of steel we good

God bless

RandomGuy
03-01-2018, 02:48 PM

Fuck Trump and fuck anybody who voted for that piece of shit.

Hello inflation.

CosmicCowboy
03-01-2018, 02:57 PM
As long as AR15s are not made of steel we good

God bless

Receivers are aluminum. Barrels are steel fwiw.

hater
03-01-2018, 03:02 PM
Receivers are aluminum. Barrels are steel fwiw.

:lmao Trump going in raw

RandomGuy
03-01-2018, 03:03 PM
Wall St sinks on Trump tariffs, interest rate worries

Dow off about 500 points (2%)
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/wall-street-opens-slightly-higher-consumer-data-151408168--finance.html

:lol

RandomGuy
03-01-2018, 03:11 PM

Y'all knew about this shit before he won. If this surprises you, you are an idiot.

RandomGuy
03-01-2018, 03:15 PM
Cue retaliation grain imports in 3,2,1...........

First it was the solar panels... a lot of which are made in china.

Now it is steel and almuminum... also made in china

China could let ONE go, but the steel tariffs, not so much. That one WILL hurt Chinese workers, and drive up Chinese government costs as they subsidize the shit out of steel.

They will need to save face now. This should be interesting.

RandomGuy
03-01-2018, 03:18 PM

American workers will see only a small portion of the massive windfall of money going to companies following corporate tax reform, according to a new analysis from JUST Capital.

With the corporate tax rate dropping from 35% to 21%, many companies have announced plans to hike wages and give out bonuses. Yahoo Finance has compiled a list of names. This year, JUST Capital estimates that the Russell 1000 companies it follows will see $150 billion in tax-related income.

Of the 90 of the largest publicly-traded companies that have announced plans an average of 6% of that tax-related income will go to workers, according to JUST Capital’s analysis.

“Perhaps most concerning is if we assume that all proceeds not already earmarked for other uses actually flow to management and shareholders in the form of stock buybacks or direct distributions, then 58% of corporate spending will be running counter to the public’s definition of what is just,” the report said.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/american-workers-will-see-tiny-portion-corporate-tax-windfall-163125120.html

RandomGuy
03-01-2018, 03:47 PM

Unfortunately, the current state of the White House already reflects the most obvious fix Mr. Trump could make: bringing in a more empowered and competent chief of staff. By most accounts, John Kelly had succeeded in improving the information flow, removing some of the key factional actors and reducing the leaks. A more experienced White House hand could probably do better, but at this point it isn’t clear Mr. Trump could attract that sort of A-list talent.

If the president is unwilling or incapable of getting control of the White House, he will continue to find his reputation lacking and his ability to influence the executive branch minimal. That may be enough for Mr. Trump, who often seems driven by anything but the desire to influence policy.

But a weak president is not something to cheer. Set aside the dangers of a weak leader engaging in risky foreign policy to try to improve his public standing. The modern executive branch relies on competent leadership; in its absence, it inevitably begins to decay.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/01/opinion/trump-hicks-kushner.html

TSA
03-01-2018, 06:06 PM

spurraider21
03-01-2018, 06:10 PM
:lol cuts it off at “until”

spoiler: it says “until 2018”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-rusal-deripaska/russian-magnate-deripaska-to-quit-roles-at-his-two-biggest-firms-idUSKCN1G31D3

TSA
03-01-2018, 06:16 PM
:lol cuts it off at “until”

spoiler: it says “until 2018”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-rusal-deripaska/russian-magnate-deripaska-to-quit-roles-at-his-two-biggest-firms-idUSKCN1G31D3

That is interesting as well. Thanks.

Chris
03-01-2018, 06:16 PM

Chris
03-01-2018, 06:17 PM

Chris
03-01-2018, 06:25 PM
last one I promise

CosmicCowboy
03-01-2018, 06:59 PM
Sorry. Tariffs are just dumn as shit.

Expect the White House to walk it back within 48 hours.

ducks
03-01-2018, 10:40 PM
Bet better trade deals

DMX7
03-01-2018, 11:05 PM
I'm ok with the steel tariff but the aluminum one I don't like.

ElNono
03-02-2018, 05:07 AM
Free Market bad now

CosmicCowboy
03-02-2018, 08:01 AM
I'm ok with the steel tariff but the aluminum one I don't like.

Why?

sickdsm
03-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Trudeau tried to get tariffs lowered, got them raised instead. He might have tried to get the wording changed from chickpeas to personpeas.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theprint.in/2018/03/02/more-agony-for-canada-as-india-raises-chickpeas-import-duty-again-to-60/amp/

hater
03-02-2018, 09:24 AM
Canada mexico and eu not happy

I do agree tinkering like this usually has negative effects that would overwhelm any positive effects

Not to mention all steel is not steel. There are hundreds of different qualities that come from abroad.

boutons_deux
03-02-2018, 09:28 AM
China is 11th in volume of steel exporters to USA

Trash's aim is as bad as dubya's

pgardn
03-02-2018, 09:30 AM

Then buy something(stock) now that really got a bad swing out of this.
What would it be?

Then sell on Monday?

RandomGuy
03-02-2018, 10:06 AM

You roll with that. My take: Hushmoney McPussygrabber has made up his mind, and as noted is not attracting the kind of educated, informed, or competent people who might tell him it is a bad idea.

He feels under siege and the only judgment he trusts is his own.

Walking it back will make him look weak and indecisive, something he does not ever do. He does not admit he is wrong.

It will go into effect, and actually cause inflation. Fed rate hikes will have to be bigger than they had planned once it works its way through the system, essentially causing a tax increase on the middle class and poor.

On the other hand, it will bring in funds to help offset the massive deficits that your dipshit party voted for in Congress.

Essentially he will be taxing the poor and middle class to give money to rich people. A sweet, sweet narrative for Democrats to run on.

RandomGuy
03-02-2018, 10:07 AM
China is 11th in volume of steel exporters to USA

Trash's aim is as bad as dubya's

What will be funny is that our trading partners can now target sanctions against Republican leaders in Congress. Pick specific imports in important Republican member's districts, which is exactly what China did last time. :rollin

Will Hunting
03-02-2018, 10:25 AM
There’s no way it’s actually going to happen and he knows it, he’s pushing for this just to appease the breitbart crowd.

Good buying opportunity in the market since it’ll bounce right back after the tariffs fall through.

sickdsm
03-02-2018, 10:50 AM
You roll with that. My take: Hushmoney McPussygrabber has made up his mind, and as noted is not attracting the kind of educated, informed, or competent people who might tell him it is a bad idea.

He feels under siege and the only judgment he trusts is his own.

Walking it back will make him look weak and indecisive, something he does not ever do. He does not admit he is wrong.

It will go into effect, and actually cause inflation. Fed rate hikes will have to be bigger than they had planned once it works its way through the system, essentially causing a tax increase on the middle class and poor.

On the other hand, it will bring in funds to help offset the massive deficits that your dipshit party voted for in Congress.

Essentially he will be taxing the poor and middle class to give money to rich people. A sweet, sweet narrative for Democrats to run on.

I would like to know your take on Trudeau. I'm not far from Canada so the news out of there is somewhat relevant to me. Trudeau seems to be the poster child for left leaning liberals in this country. Had Trump pulled some of the actions on this last trip he would (once again) be the laughing stock of the world. Dressed in rediculous garb, controversy with extremists (including pictures of his wife) and failed rediculous on his intended purpose.

What leader are you most envious of? Merkel? Tbh the strong decisive leaders are in countries like China and Russia, which aren't a very good comparison considering their countries.

RandomGuy
03-02-2018, 11:30 AM
I would like to know your take on Trudeau. I'm not far from Canada so the news out of there is somewhat relevant to me. Trudeau seems to be the poster child for left leaning liberals in this country. Had Trump pulled some of the actions on this last trip he would (once again) be the laughing stock of the world. Dressed in rediculous garb, controversy with extremists (including pictures of his wife) and failed rediculous on his intended purpose.

What leader are you most envious of? Merkel? Tbh the strong decisive leaders are in countries like China and Russia, which aren't a very good comparison considering their countries.

I am good with any leader who has the taste to drink Spaten Optimator.

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2017-05/28/15/asset/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane-03/sub-buzz-24382-1496000079-7.jpg

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/posts/angelamerkelbeermain.jpg

In all seriousness, Trudeau, Macron, Merkel, in that order.

Talented, educated center-left, with a commitment to human rights and free trade. I do not expect perfection, but I do expect someone who isn't afraid of the press, and picks people for competence first.

Pretty much everything Trump is not.

Hillary, for all her faults, understood US foreign policy, and both hard and soft power. She would have attracted enough talented competent people to adequately run an administration.

The current executive branch is imploding. We haven't felt the brunt of that yet, but we will.

RandomGuy
03-02-2018, 11:53 AM
I would like to know your take on Trudeau.

But to answer this specifically:

Trudeau is okay. Not impressed by his India trip. Fraught with missteps.

Recent moves to re-fund Canada's VA is a good first step to unfucking the system that conservatives starved at the expense of veterans. (sound familiar?)

A little to lefty-wishy washy for me at times. I'm sure that statement will shock some here.

The left needs to curtail its baser PC impulses that Trudeau gives into occasionally.

Overall a solid B. 8 of 10. Not perfect by far, but a breath of fresh competence.

Canada's parliamentary style democracy has some hope of reigning in his stupider shit.

sickdsm
03-02-2018, 11:53 AM
I am good with any leader who has the taste to drink Spaten Optimator.

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2017-05/28/15/asset/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane-03/sub-buzz-24382-1496000079-7.jpg

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/posts/angelamerkelbeermain.jpg

In all seriousness, Trudeau, Macron, Merkel, in that order.

Talented, educated center-left, with a commitment to human rights and free trade. I do not expect perfection, but I do expect someone who isn't afraid of the press, and picks people for competence first.

Pretty much everything Trump is not.

Hillary, for all her faults, understood US foreign policy, and both hard and soft power. She would have attracted enough talented competent people to adequately run an administration.

The current executive branch is imploding. We haven't felt the brunt of that yet, but we will.

So Trudeau can do all the idiotic things that might be a Trumpism and you STILL put him first? What is your criteria there? I think Merkel is there only legitimate answer and she gets knocked down a lot of rungs because of immigration and Europe. Imo, there is not a great leader of any free country.

Hillary played the game very well. Too well. She was the real life version of Francis Underwood. Arrogant and a flat out bitch when she thought it didn't matter. I've always heard the line, the measure of a man is how he treats those that can't do him any good. I think her arrogance behind closed doors would be very troubling. We all have those acquaintances that you can see right through. They get there way because we want to get rid of them. Until it's something that matters.

RandomGuy
03-02-2018, 12:03 PM
So Trudeau can do all the idiotic things that might be a Trumpism and you STILL put him first? What is your criteria there? I think Merkel is there only legitimate answer and she gets knocked down a lot of rungs because of immigration and Europe. Imo, there is not a great leader of any free country.

Hillary played the game very well. Too well. She was the real life version of Francis Underwood. Arrogant and a flat out bitch when she thought it didn't matter. I've always heard the line, the measure of a man is how he treats those that can't do him any good. I think her arrogance behind closed doors would be very troubling. We all have those acquaintances that you can see right through. They get there way because we want to get rid of them. Until it's something that matters.

Merkels commitment to immigration and sheltering refugees is one of her policies that I thought was best.

Germany's economy is going gangbusters, and needs more labor. Brilliant economic move. Absorb the most recent round of immigrants, turn them into liberals with connections to their home countries. A lot of winning, IMO.

RandomGuy
03-02-2018, 12:10 PM
There’s no way it’s actually going to happen and he knows it, he’s pushing for this just to appease the breitbart crowd.

Good buying opportunity in the market since it’ll bounce right back after the tariffs fall through.

From what I get form NPR this morning the tariffs are within the presidents authority.

RandomGuy
03-02-2018, 12:16 PM
last one I promise

China this month singled out American sorghum for an anti-dumping investigation, showing that it can hit America where it hurts Mr Trump in particular.

The largest sorghum producers in the US in terms of acreage are Kansas, Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma, and South Dakota.

China's investigations, which may take up to a year, signal that Beijing can inflict disproportionate pain on rural constituencies that voted for Mr Trump and his allies, said one analyst who asked not to be named."It's a shot across the bow as Trump decides whether to inflict tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminium imports," the analyst said.

"I get the strong sense that this will be a big element of China's strategy if a trade war really does take place - hitting US agricultural exports… in pro-Republican, pro-Trump constituencies before mid-terms

Democrats win from this. Republican areas get hammered with trade sanctions, triggered by their dumb shit president.

Watching this is like watching an own goal, only Golfy McDumbshit is too stupid to know that is what he is doing.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/3o7TKGRHLyFXdeziyk/giphy.gif

sickdsm
03-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Merkels commitment to immigration and sheltering refugees is one of her policies that I thought was best.

Germany's economy is going gangbusters, and needs more labor. Brilliant economic move. Absorb the most recent round of immigrants, turn them into liberals with connections to their home countries. A lot of winning, IMO.

Merkel just admitted that there are "no go zones where Germans and police should not and can't travel. Talk of Sharia law enforcement because it's not safe for police. Poland's debacle over enforcing a law preventing free speech about death camps is directly related to this immigration policy. Wasn't it a couple years ago Turkeys PM or whatever his title is was talking about taking over Europe from within? Recommending having as many children as you can to those living in other countries? I know there was some statistic floating around estimating when Muslims will outnumber the Germans that was starting but I have no idea how accurate it is.

Will Hunting
03-02-2018, 12:18 PM
From what I get form NPR this morning the tariffs are within the presidents authority.
That might very well be true (I have no idea) but Trump isn’t some maverick politician who stays true to his ideals. After a few days of backlash from the corporate overlords he’s beholden to hell back down from any kind of tariff.

RandomGuy
03-02-2018, 12:20 PM

Trump carries through on his shit ideas. Haven't we figure that out yet?

I am sure that there are people who know better in his administration who are pleading with him, as well as Congressional leaders to walk it back. I hope for all our sakes they do, but if they don't... I get to laugh.

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/kolo-toure-own-goal-against-fulham.gif

AaronY
03-02-2018, 12:21 PM

RandomGuy
03-02-2018, 12:24 PM
That might very well be true (I have no idea) but Trump isn’t some maverick politician who stays true to his ideals. After a few days of backlash from the corporate overlords he’s beholden to hell back down from any kind of tariff.

We get to find out next week. I think he is at the point where he DNGAF. He views the Republican party as HIS party, and anyone who doesn't like it can hit the road, and many in the new Trump party are falling into line behind the Dear Leader. That has not sunk in to some here yet.

sickdsm
03-02-2018, 12:24 PM
China this month singled out American sorghum for an anti-dumping investigation, showing that it can hit America where it hurts Mr Trump in particular.

The largest sorghum producers in the US in terms of acreage are Kansas, Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma, and South Dakota.

China's investigations, which may take up to a year, signal that Beijing can inflict disproportionate pain on rural constituencies that voted for Mr Trump and his allies, said one analyst who asked not to be named."It's a shot across the bow as Trump decides whether to inflict tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminium imports," the analyst said.

"I get the strong sense that this will be a big element of China's strategy if a trade war really does take place - hitting US agricultural exports… in pro-Republican, pro-Trump constituencies before mid-terms

Democrats win from this. Republican areas get hammered with trade sanctions, triggered by their dumb shit president.

Watching this is like watching an own goal, only Golfy McDumbshit is too stupid to know that is what he is doing.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/3o7TKGRHLyFXdeziyk/giphy.gif

It's always Ag. Rest of America makes overpriced shit. Very little production is cheaper or of superior quality than what China can get. It's not rocket surgery. Literally the ONLY card we hold that China wants is AG. China has been manipulating at markets for decades. Huge orders get cancelled then when price drops they buy it back. Phony "standards"are put in place to hammer prices and then they'll buy from a different country with the same quality. It's a game that China been allowed to chat at a very long time. How come your not posting the chickpea failure your Golden boy JUST GONE DONE WITH? Trudeau's a joke and does the left version of Trump's actions yet there's the same cock slobbering going on as his mom did.

sickdsm
03-02-2018, 12:26 PM

I am sure that there are people who know better in his administration who are pleading with him, as well as Congressional leaders to walk it back. I hope for all our sakes they do, but if they don't... I get to laugh.

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/kolo-toure-own-goal-against-fulham.gif
Because Hillary is in prison, the swamp has been drained and the wall is being built. Hahahaha. You're as delusional as those that voted for him.

vy65
03-02-2018, 12:27 PM
While cheap imports likely hurt American steelworkers, economists believe they’re hardly the main cause for the decline of the steel industry.

Low demand for steel and decades of automation are the main reasons jobs at American steel mills are disappearing, and no amount of tariffs on Chinese steel can change that tide, economists told me.

“The deal with these kinds of protections is that they don’t change long-term trends,” Michael Moore, an economics professor at George Washington University, told Vox shortly after Ross started the steel investigation. “The thought that a 55-year-old worker is going to keep their job because you put a tariff on imports is ridiculous.”

https://www.vox.com/2018/3/1/17066838/white-house-trump-steel-tariffs

RandomGuy
03-02-2018, 12:28 PM

Canada (15%), Brazil, South Korea, Mexico, Russia, Turkey, Japan, Taiwan, Germany, India (2%).

In that order.
9M metric tons in the 3Q, 2017

This is a message to Canada and Mexico, ahead of trade talks about NAFTA. Interesting.
https://www.trade.gov/steel/countries/pdfs/imports-us.pdf

boutons_deux
03-02-2018, 12:39 PM
Trump’s tariffs intended as ‘middle finger’ to White House aides he no longer likes

President Donald Trump doesn’t like being told what to do, and he’s reportedly setting policies to thumb his nose at advisers who have lost his trust.

Trump has sidelined chief of staff John Kelly and economic adviser Gary Cohn and intends to impose tariffs on steel and aluminum, which he’s wanted to do since the campaign, to deliberately disrespect them, reported Axios (https://www.axios.com/trump-tariffs-steel-aluminum-fantasies-white-house-staff-9640596f-4396-47e3-a478-b967ce02ba01.html).

“His staff at times managed to talk him off the ledge. No more,” reported Mike Allen and Jonathan Swan. “Tired of the restraints, tired of his staff, Trump is reveling in ticking off just about every person who serves him.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/trumps-tariffs-intended-middle-finger-white-house-aides-no-longer-likes-report/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29

I'm gonna nuke NK just to piss off you more intelligent, more serious, more successful ADULTS

What a way to ru(i)n a country.

Thanks, all you Trash assholes.

sickdsm
03-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Trump’s tariffs intended as ‘middle finger’ to White House aides he no longer likes

President Donald Trump doesn’t like being told what to do, and he’s reportedly setting policies to thumb his nose at advisers who have lost his trust.

Trump has sidelined chief of staff John Kelly and economic adviser Gary Cohn and intends to impose tariffs on steel and aluminum, which he’s wanted to do since the campaign, to deliberately disrespect them, reported Axios (https://www.axios.com/trump-tariffs-steel-aluminum-fantasies-white-house-staff-9640596f-4396-47e3-a478-b967ce02ba01.html).

“His staff at times managed to talk him off the ledge. No more,” reported Mike Allen and Jonathan Swan. “Tired of the restraints, tired of his staff, Trump is reveling in ticking off just about every person who serves him.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/trumps-tariffs-intended-middle-finger-white-house-aides-no-longer-likes-report/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29

I'm gonna nuke NK just to piss off you more intelligent, more serious, more successful ADULTS

What a way to ru(i)n a country.

Thanks, all you Trash assholes.

Still doesn't get it. Arrogant Hillary rigged the primary and dnc still pushed her through. Lots of people wanted to vote for Trump opponent but not someone who continues to chat the system. I tell my kids to take responsibility for their own actions. Maybe long standing Dems need to open up to it instead of whining about Russia until Russia gets pissed than saying Trump strained relationships with them.

Will Hunting
03-02-2018, 12:48 PM

The shit ideas he’s actually followed through on (ie his tax plan) are ideas the republican establishment was already pushing for under Obama as they’re par for the course Republican policies that fuck poor people. If he imposes tariffs there would be a flood of corporate money into towards Democrats in 2020.

RandomGuy
03-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Because Hillary is in prison, the swamp has been drained and the wall is being built. Hahahaha. You're as delusional as those that voted for him.

We will get to see, wont' we? If I were to bet money, I would bet he goes through with it. At least we only have to wait a week.

RandomGuy
03-02-2018, 12:54 PM
The shit ideas he’s actually followed through on (ie his tax plan) are ideas the republican establishment was already pushing for under Obama as they’re par for the course Republican policies that fuck poor people. If he imposes tariffs there would be a flood of corporate money into towards Democrats in 2020.

Again, a total win for Democrats, the fiscally responsible party. Votes and money. Trump is the best thing to happen to Democrats in almost 40 years. He has sped up the Democratic party rejuvenation by almost a decade.

See the Economist's "Revolt of the Librarians":

https://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2018/02/revolt-librarians

As noted elsewhere, I have seen this firsthand.

Will Hunting
03-02-2018, 12:54 PM
Exactly....leftists like RandomGuy saying shit like “Trump has followed through on everything and the sky is falling” are as retarded as the tea baggers claiming that Obama had made America socialist 8 years ago. Almost everything Trump promised hasn’t happened and never will happen.

None of his unorthodox ideas that made him unpopular with the Republican establishment have come even close to happening, and his one major piece of legislation was a tax plan that any Republican who had control of both houses would pass.

RandomGuy
03-02-2018, 12:55 PM
Exactly....leftists like RandomGuy saying shit like “Trump has followed through on everything and the sky is falling” are as retarded as the tea baggers claiming that Obama had made America socialist 8 years ago. Almost everything Trump promised hasn’t happened and never will happen.

None of his unorthodox ideas that made him unpopular with the Republican establishment have come even close to happening, and his one major piece of legislation was a tax plan that any Republican who had control of both houses would pass.

“We’ve advised him against it, but he’s convinced that it’s the right thing to do,” Sen. John Thune (R-SD), who is the third-ranking Senate Republican, told reporters.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/2/17070792/republican-congress-trump-steel-tariffs

sickdsm
03-02-2018, 12:59 PM
We will get to see, wont' we? If I were to bet money, I would bet he goes through with it. At least we only have to wait a week.

Goes through with what? You said he carries through on his shit ideas. I named three of the oldest one that are not going to happen. You can't single out one and use that to justify a shit statement like you just made.

RandomGuy
03-02-2018, 01:09 PM
Goes through with what? You said he carries through on his shit ideas. I named three of the oldest one that are not going to happen. You can't single out one and use that to justify a shit statement like you just made.

Jeez, you want me to go through the list? really?

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/

Have at it. Tax cuts, muslim bans, roll back of regulations. He is to his small credit, trying to carry through, despite being stopped in the courts on the muslim ban.

Rolled back Obama "regulations" even when doing so violated the law, etc etc.

sickdsm
03-02-2018, 01:14 PM

Have at it. Tax cuts, muslim bans, roll back of regulations. He is to his small credit, trying to carry through, despite being stopped in the courts on the muslim ban.

These were literally the oldest and shittiest plans he has had as POTUS. LITERALLY. not one will happen. You said he always followed through on his shittiest plans.

Where is Hillary incarcerated at?

sickdsm
03-02-2018, 01:15 PM

Tac cuts and rolling back regulations are definitely not in that category. How is that Muslim ban working out?

RandomGuy
03-02-2018, 01:40 PM
These were literally the oldest and shittiest plans he has had as POTUS. LITERALLY. not one will happen. You said he always followed through on his shittiest plans.

Where is Hillary incarcerated at?

(shrugs) Is this supposed to mean that he isn't trying on everything else?

Pavlov
03-02-2018, 01:58 PM
It's really difficult to describe just how stupid this president is:

RandomGuy
03-02-2018, 02:26 PM
It's really difficult to describe just how stupid this president is:

He has doubled down on the tariff talk. He really is going to do it. It's easy!

boutons_deux
03-02-2018, 03:02 PM
Carl Icahn Perfectly Timed $30 Million Stock Dump Before Trump’s Tariff Announcement
https://slate.com/business/2018/03/the-billionaire-financiers-uncanny-prediction-power-strikes-again.html

This is precisely how BigFinance operates, cheating, stealing, pillaging. Apparently hedge funds live on paying for insider tips

Isitjustme?
03-02-2018, 03:09 PM

boutons_deux
03-02-2018, 03:13 PM
In retaliation for Trump tariffs Europe will target U.S. bourbon, bikes, blue jeans

The European Union is considering applying 25 percent tariffs on $3.5 billion of goods –

a third steel, a third industrial goods and a third agricultural –

to “rebalance” bilateral trade, EU sources said.

“We will put tariffs on Harley-Davidson, on bourbon and on blue jeans – Levis,”

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker told German television.

“We are here and they will get to know us.

We would like a reasonable relationship to the United States,

but we cannot simply put our head in the sand.”

https://www.politicususa.com/2018/03/02/europe-targets-u-s-bourbon-bikes-blue-jeans-trade-riposte.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+%28Politi cus+USA+%29

Note there's nothing tariffed that hurt EuroBigCorp, like Boeing planes, farm equipment

Chris
03-02-2018, 09:51 PM

https://media0.giphy.com/media/45QB3jax5sRsk/giphy.gif

Isitjustme?
03-02-2018, 09:56 PM

https://media0.giphy.com/media/45QB3jax5sRsk/giphy.gif

No ones claiming he just now became stupid

Chris
03-02-2018, 11:23 PM

Chris
03-03-2018, 03:46 AM

pgardn
03-03-2018, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=Chris;9304758]969744502284890112

So you think it's cool he has been a complete idiot for a number of years?
Is this an antiglobalization stand Chris?

Quadzilla99
03-03-2018, 09:30 AM

And it will just screw over the smll amount of consumers who buy steel or aluminium products to get those few jobs ..brilllaint!

DMX7
03-03-2018, 09:57 AM

Actually, I think he's saying this just to appease himself. Trump has been on every side of almost every issue since he became a public figure but he has been remarkably consistent on the topic of trade. He has for years been saying America is getting "beat" in trade, and so I think this is an attempt to address that. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if in some way shape or form this helps his own business (maybe making existing properties more valuable if new ones cost more to build? -- I don't know exactly but it seems like the kind of thing he would take into consideration know him).

DMX7
03-03-2018, 09:59 AM

Chris, then why didn't he put a tariff that specifically targets China or effectively targets China much better than this? Our allies get hit much more than China with this.

CosmicCowboy
03-03-2018, 10:12 AM
China doesnt even sell us much unprocessed steel.

I still say this is so stupid it will get walked back and never actually happen. The main problem is that there is no way existing US steel mills can supply demand so the end result will just be a 25+% price increase with no trade benefit.

CosmicCowboy
03-03-2018, 10:17 AM
The funny thing is if he only picks on China for the tariff it wont even matter. China isnt even in the top ten of steel importers to the US. Canada, Brazil and South Korea are the top three and provide over half of our imports.

AaronY
03-03-2018, 11:09 AM
The funny thing is if he only picks on China for the tariff it wont even matter. China isnt even in the top ten of steel importers to the US. Canada, Brazil and South Korea are the top three and provide over half of our imports.

pgardn
03-03-2018, 11:09 AM

Further, if you just pick on China to pick, good luck with help on North Korea. China would so much like a stable leader in North Korea that would follow their rules. They still would like NK to pick on South Korea and Japan, but definitely not get the US involved directly, only as an ally. Just some nice conventional mortaring of SK, some NK ships interfering with Japan, NOT fat boy directly threatening the US with Nukes. If things were quiet, China could build their little Islands without US warships constantly buzzing them.

This president does not see bigger pictures. To me, this is just amazing. Republican and Democrstic presidents saw the bigger picture even if they disagreed on consequences. Rich salesman off the streets, farmer who just fell off the turnip truck... But, but we need an outsider, a guy who will shake things up. Welcome to chaos.

AaronY
03-03-2018, 11:10 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXYCB4xXUAIkOJ4?format=jpg

leemajors
03-03-2018, 12:54 PM
And it will just screw over the smll amount of consumers who buy steel or aluminium products to get those few jobs ..brilllaint!

Like every brewery in the US that cans.

Chris
03-04-2018, 05:13 PM
I found a sane Democrat. I think.

AaronY
03-04-2018, 07:00 PM
I found a sane Democrat. I think.

Hmmm..could be sane. whats his stance on alters and child sacrifice?

Spurtacular
03-04-2018, 07:04 PM
Fuck Trump and fuck anybody who voted for that piece of shit.

Hello inflation.

:lmao at the tantrum
:lmao and at #StillWithHerToo

Chris
03-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Hmmm..could be sane. whats his stance on alters and child sacrifice?

Ah, the passive aggressive jab. Clearly if one believes that Dissociative Identity Disorder or child sacrifice exists then they are insane. Tell me more about how the Constitution gives us Separation of Church and State.

Chris
03-04-2018, 07:41 PM

spurraider21
03-04-2018, 07:52 PM
Ah, the passive aggressive jab. Clearly if one believes that Dissociative Identity Disorder or child sacrifice exists then they are insane. Tell me more about how the Constitution gives us Separation of Church and State.
more importantly does he believe the earth is flat and surrounded by an impenetrable dome?

Chris
03-04-2018, 07:54 PM
more importantly does he believe the earth is flat and surrounded by an impenetrable dome?

Is that what you believe?

spurraider21
03-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Is that what you believe?
:lmao

ducks
03-04-2018, 11:21 PM
Trump worth billions as business man politicians think they know more then business man
Politicians learn to be politicians at college not business dealings

ducks
03-04-2018, 11:22 PM

Irving does

ducks
03-04-2018, 11:24 PM

Is that fact checked by liberal fact checkers

AaronY
03-05-2018, 01:53 AM

Lol

AaronY
03-05-2018, 01:55 AM
Is that fact checked by liberal fact checkers
The guys a Republican so I doubt it

RandomGuy
03-05-2018, 10:39 AM

Hail Satan.

:rolleyes

boutons_deux
03-05-2018, 11:03 AM
Sicko asshole bully
Trump says he might drop tariffs for Mexico and Canada — if they do what he wants on NAFTA

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/5/17080406/trump-tariffs-mexico-canada-nafta

RandomGuy
03-05-2018, 11:57 AM

"Back in August, Axios published a leaked summary of a meeting between Trump and his senior trade advisers. At that meeting, Trump declared, “I want tariffs.” Trump’s top economic adviser, Gary Cohn, previously of Goldman Sachs, was plainly unhappy. Trump ended the meeting by declaring to White House Chief of Staff John Kelly: “I know there are some people in the room right now that are upset. I know there are some globalists in the room right now. And they don’t want them, John, they don’t want the tariffs. But I’m telling you, I want tariffs.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-apos-trade-war-incompetent-153232277.html

Blake
03-05-2018, 12:46 PM
Billionaire*Carl Icahn, President*Donald Trump’s longtime friend and former special adviser, sold $31.3 million in shares of a steel-related company just before Trump announced tariffs on imported steel and aluminum.

Icahn unloaded nearly 1 million shares in crane manufacturer*Manitowoc Co.*of Wisconsin from Feb. 12 to Feb. 23, according to a*filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission*first reported by the website*Think Progress.*Manitowoc relies on steel, and shares in the company fell after Trump announced on Thursday that he plans to impose a 25 percent tariff on steel.*The Commerce Department’s report recommending the tariffs was made public*Feb. 16.

Icahn told CNBC*Thursday*that he hadn’t had “much interaction” with Trump in the “past four or five months,”*and had no special knowledge of what Trump planned to do or when. But the CNBC question concerned his opinion about market effect, not whether he had any privileged information. Stock trades based on*insider information*not available to the public are illegal......."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-pal-carl-icahn-unloaded-121446090.html

Blake
03-05-2018, 12:47 PM
What a coincidence nothing to see here

boutons_deux
03-05-2018, 04:42 PM
"he hadn’t had “much interaction” with Trump"

:lol much interaction was needed to receive a hot tip to dump stocks. :lol

Always amazing and hilarious these rich assholes think we are

RandomGuy
03-06-2018, 02:20 PM

Care to guess what country South Korea buys its steel from?

China sells raw steel to various countries and it is rolled into semi-finished products. Those products then get imported and are tagged with the 2nd country's flag.

RandomGuy
03-06-2018, 03:47 PM
That might very well be true (I have no idea) but Trump isn’t some maverick politician who stays true to his ideals. After a few days of backlash from the corporate overlords he’s beholden to [he'll] back down from any kind of tariff.

"Trump still didn’t flinch. “No, we are not backing down,” he told reporters who asked about Ryan’s criticism in the Oval Office on Monday."
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/republicans-cant-stop-trumps-trade-war-tariffs/554903

boutons_deux
03-06-2018, 03:48 PM
Rural America begins to realize Trump isn't working for them; as Nebraska Farm Bureau makes clear (https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/3/6/1746881/-Rural-America-begins-to-realize-Trump-isn-t-working-for-them-as-Nebraska-Farm-Bureau-makes-clear)

“It has been very well documented that your historic path to the White House came directly through rural America.

While your thoughts on trade where well known by farmers and ranchers, it would be very dangerous to assume it was the focus of their support.

Mr. President, please do not turn your back on the farm and ranch families

who depend on international markets and

who rely on you to make wise decisions that don’t put their economic future in jeopardy.”

The caveat seems to be:

“look, we knew you were out there on this stuff, but by and large we didn’t believe you and voted for you for other reasons”

a US-China trade war that might target US soybean exports to China — the biggest buyer of US soybeans.

It imported about $14 billion worth of US soybeans in 2016, or

60 percent of the total US crop

Iowa is the second-largest soybean producing state after Illinois. There are roughly 70,000 to 80,000 soybean farmers in the two states

One of the most reliable exports from the United States are food crops — agriculture — and a trade war puts all of that at risk.

(http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/05/news/economy/trade-war-red-states/index.html)
Farmers across the Midwest would be a prime target for China, the biggest buyer of some American crops.

"Coming from an agriculture state that supported Trump, it's certainly a disappointing development for Montana and the rest of rural America,"

says Herb Karst, a grain farmer in Billings, Montana, and a representative of Farmers for Free Trade, an advocacy group.

"It just seems that agriculture is going to be paying the price for the protection of the steel and aluminum industries,"

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/3/6/1746881/-Rural-America-begins-to-realize-Trump-isn-t-working-for-them-as-Nebraska-Farm-Bureau-makes-clear

Chris
03-06-2018, 05:00 PM

Reck
03-06-2018, 05:39 PM

Nutcase Trump is serious about his suicide mission on imposing a massive 25% tarrifs on countries like Canada and Mexico. RIP Trump

Chris
03-06-2018, 05:42 PM

Nutcase Trump is serious about his suicide mission on imposing a massive 25% tarrifs on countries like Canada and Mexico. RIP Trump

The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council.
The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council.

RandomGuy
03-06-2018, 05:58 PM
The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council.
The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council. The officials insisted there was no single factor behind the departure of Mr. Cohn, who heads the National Economic Council.

"officials insisted" :lmao

I am sure there wasn't a single factor.

What I think was the biggest factor:

Not wanting to be associated with this loser administration. The spreading taint of incompetence and bumbling from self-inflicted crisis to self-inflicted crisis has anybody worth a shit running for the hills.

RandomGuy
03-06-2018, 05:59 PM
Rural America begins to realize Trump isn't working for them; as Nebraska Farm Bureau makes clear (https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/3/6/1746881/-Rural-America-begins-to-realize-Trump-isn-t-working-for-them-as-Nebraska-Farm-Bureau-makes-clear)

“It has been very well documented that your historic path to the White House came directly through rural America.

While your thoughts on trade where well known by farmers and ranchers, it would be very dangerous to assume it was the focus of their support.

Mr. President, please do not turn your back on the farm and ranch families

who depend on international markets and

who rely on you to make wise decisions that don’t put their economic future in jeopardy.”

The caveat seems to be:

“look, we knew you were out there on this stuff, but by and large we didn’t believe you and voted for you for other reasons”

a US-China trade war that might target US soybean exports to China — the biggest buyer of US soybeans.

It imported about $14 billion worth of US soybeans in 2016, or

60 percent of the total US crop

Iowa is the second-largest soybean producing state after Illinois. There are roughly 70,000 to 80,000 soybean farmers in the two states

One of the most reliable exports from the United States are food crops — agriculture — and a trade war puts all of that at risk.

(http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/05/news/economy/trade-war-red-states/index.html)
Farmers across the Midwest would be a prime target for China, the biggest buyer of some American crops.

"Coming from an agriculture state that supported Trump, it's certainly a disappointing development for Montana and the rest of rural America,"

says Herb Karst, a grain farmer in Billings, Montana, and a representative of Farmers for Free Trade, an advocacy group.

"It just seems that agriculture is going to be paying the price for the protection of the steel and aluminum industries,"

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/3/6/1746881/-Rural-America-begins-to-realize-Trump-isn-t-working-for-them-as-Nebraska-Farm-Bureau-makes-clear

Yup. Farmers and ranchers will be paying the price for Trump's stupidity.

I don't really feel sorry for them. They voted overwhelmingly for this idiot.

Pavlov
03-06-2018, 06:01 PM
Chris insists he left that shithole administration for multiple reasons.

Chris
03-06-2018, 06:02 PM
"officials insisted" :lmao

I am sure there wasn't a single factor.

What I think was the biggest factor:

Not wanting to be associated with this loser administration. The spreading taint of incompetence and bumbling from self-inflicted crisis to self-inflicted crisis has anybody worth a shit running for the hills.

Every administration has resignations for various reasons. At least the article quantified it's bullshit early on.

Pavlov
03-06-2018, 06:14 PM
How do US aluminum producers, who stand to win big from the tariff, feel about the president’s move?

Thanks, but no thanks.

In a letter to Trump today (March 6), a group of 114 producers and other companies said they are “deeply concerned” about how a tariff could affect their industry, reports CNBC. They said they believe the tariff will ultimately do more harm than good—especially for US jobs. Among the members are Alcoa, Vulcan, and Rio Tinto Alcan, which together have a US workforce of more than 700,000.

https://qz.com/1222922/trumps-steel-and-aluminum-tariff-doesnt-even-appeal-to-aluminum-producers/

:lol Trump

Chris
03-06-2018, 06:37 PM

Pavlov
03-06-2018, 06:45 PM
971066355914104832Did they all put tariffs on Canadian steel?

Be specific.

CosmicCowboy
03-06-2018, 06:48 PM
Did they all put tariffs on Canadian steel?

Be specific.
What tariffs have been put in place, chump? Be specific.

Pavlov
03-06-2018, 06:49 PM
What tariffs have been out in place, chump? Did I miss it?Hey, it's time for CC to make dem straw men!

Let me know when you can make an argument like a grown man.

CosmicCowboy
03-06-2018, 06:50 PM
Hey, it's time for CC to make dem straw men!

Let me know when you can make an argument like a grown man.

What straw man? Who put tariffs on Canada?

Pavlov
03-06-2018, 06:53 PM
What straw man? Who put tariffs on Canada?CC, you might want to read up on Trump's tariff plan.

It's even in his tweets.

You can do it!

CosmicCowboy
03-06-2018, 06:54 PM
You clearly insinuated tariffs had been put on Canadian steel. I asked you who placed tariffs on canadian steel. You then whined like a bitch and screamed strawman.

CosmicCowboy
03-06-2018, 06:55 PM
CC, you might want to read up on Trump's tariff plan.

It's even in his tweets.

You can do it!

Ive gotten where I dont believe anything Trump tweets. Are you saying you do?

Pavlov
03-06-2018, 06:55 PM
You clearly insinuated tariffs had been put on Canadian steel. I asked you who placed tariffs on canadian steel. You then whined like a bitch and screamed strawman.Your inference is faulty.

You made a straw man.

Pavlov
03-06-2018, 06:56 PM
Ive gotten where I dont believe anything Trump tweets.Great. Then there's nothing to discuss.

CosmicCowboy
03-06-2018, 06:56 PM
Your inference is faulty.

You made a straw man.

I responded to your allegation and you whined.

RandomGuy
03-06-2018, 06:57 PM
Every administration has resignations for various reasons. At least the article quantified it's bullshit early on.

Not every administration has people fleeing from its shithole-ness in droves. :rollin

Pavlov
03-06-2018, 06:57 PM
I responded to your allegation and you whined.I made no allegation at all.

You're really terrible at this.

RandomGuy
03-06-2018, 07:01 PM
You clearly insinuated tariffs had been put on Canadian steel. I asked you who placed tariffs on canadian steel. You then whined like a bitch and screamed strawman.

He didn't insinuate it had happened. He was asking a relevant question about Trumps proposed job-killing tariffs, and using that question to point out the dishonest cherry picking of Chris' post.

CosmicCowboy
03-06-2018, 07:01 PM
Did they all put tariffs on Canadian steel?

Be specific.
Was the answer you were looking for " no one has put tariffs on canadian steel including Trump?"

Pavlov
03-06-2018, 07:02 PM
He didn't insinuate it had happened. He was asking a relevant question about Trumps proposed job-killing tariffs, and using that question to point out the dishonest cherry picking of Chris' post.Yeah, Chris, Posobiec and I were all talking about Trump's proposed tariffs.

How can that be difficult to understand?

Pavlov
03-06-2018, 07:03 PM
Was the answer you were looking for " no one has put tariffs on canadian steel including Trump?"He hasn't put them on Chinese steel either.

Are you sundowning or something?

This is simple stuff.

RandomGuy
03-06-2018, 07:07 PM

Trump says more staff will leave as he seeks 'perfection'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-says-more-staff-will-leave-as-he-seeks-perfection

:rollin

RandomGuy
03-06-2018, 07:24 PM
Was the answer you were looking for " no one has put tariffs on canadian steel including Trump?"

No.

The answer was:

Trump has proposed tariffs on Canadian steel. Chris' post was about how "all presidents impose steel tariffs on China". Trump's actions are not comparable.

Chris
03-06-2018, 07:35 PM
Trump says more staff will leave as he seeks 'perfection'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-says-more-staff-will-leave-as-he-seeks-perfection

:rollin

I said it before. To make an omelet, you have to break some eggs. I'd be careful with those Microsoft (:lol) articles. Some of them can be misleading.

Chris
03-06-2018, 08:08 PM

TeyshaBlue
03-06-2018, 08:31 PM
I said it before. To make an omelet, you have to break some eggs. I'd be careful with those Microsoft (:lol) articles. Some of them can be misleading.

Ive said it before. Im not sure he knows what he's doing.

Chris
03-06-2018, 10:40 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXZY9uWW4AEZYrt.jpg:large

DMX7
03-06-2018, 10:50 PM
Jared Kushner is going to Mexico to resolve this. He's got this.

RandomGuy
03-07-2018, 12:18 PM

"To work in the Trump administration is to court reputational ruin, legal risk, and public humiliation. Why would top candidates sign up for that?" writes Ezra Klein.

1) Cohn’s exit is believed to reflect two realities. First, he accomplished most of what he actually wanted to accomplish in the position — namely, massive tax cuts for corporations and wealthy Americans (such as Cohn, a former top executive at Goldman Sachs). Second, he was uncomfortable with the direction Trump is going on tariffs.

2) Cohn is known to have nearly, but not actually, quit after Trump’s comments on August’s white nationalist march in Charlottesville, Virginia. The fact that he is instead quitting now has led to a lot of criticism to the effect of, “Charlottesville was acceptable, but tariffs were the last straw!” This is true, so far as it goes. But it goes too far. By that logic, the entirety of the Trump administration should quit, and as noxious as Trump’s comments were (and are), we actually need some people staffing the executive branch. Cohn’s exit is, in its way, normal: He passed his signature policy effort, he didn’t get the promotion to Federal Reserve chair, he was losing influence internally, he was burnt out, and so he is leaving.

3) What’s abnormal is that Cohn’s deputy, Jeremy Katz, left in December. Usually the deputies wait out the bosses so they can become the bosses. But the Trump administration isn’t building its bench. It’s losing its bench even faster than it’s losing its principals. Trump’s White House has also lost the deputy directors of the National Security Council and the Domestic Policy Council, as well as multiple deputy chiefs of staff. Oh, and last week, Trump’s communications director and deputy communications director resigned.

:rollin Chris

You are such a dumb shit. Here, have another bag to smear on yourself.

RandomGuy
03-07-2018, 12:20 PM

He has no clue.

Some of his dumb shit ideas will actually work though, simply due to the volume of dumb shit ideas. Chris will be right there rolling in it like a good dog the whole time, then pop up when that dumb shit idea works and brag about how good he smells.

elbamba
03-07-2018, 02:13 PM

If I had to take a guess, I would say he is trying to shore up his support with the working class who don't really care about the cost of steel and aluminum or how it hurts the stock market. This is Trump trying to prove he is one of them. I believe it is a purely political move.

RandomGuy
03-07-2018, 02:54 PM
If I had to take a guess, I would say he is trying to shore up his support with the working class who don't really care about the cost of steel and aluminum or how it hurts the stock market. This is Trump trying to prove he is one of them. I believe it is a purely political move.

It is consistent with his previously stated beliefs.

He thinks he knows better, when it is obvious to those who do... that he does not.

boutons_deux
03-07-2018, 04:18 PM

Come on, man, "not sure"? :lol

boutons_deux
03-07-2018, 05:35 PM
WH already crumbling, tariff exemptions could be made

boutons_deux
03-07-2018, 07:20 PM
But then Trash sez NO tarriff country exemptions :lol

boutons_deux
03-08-2018, 08:19 AM
Basically, Trash's deflection from Mueller and pandering to his ignorant base was, is ALL BULLSHIT

Trump plans to announce steel tariffs, but may allow exemptions for U.S allies after all

in a surprise reversal the White House opened the door to exemptions for products from Canada, Mexico and other U.S. allies.

would mark a retreat :lol so much winning! :lol

his intended target, China

the United States gets a relatively small amount of imported metals from China.

Instead, most U.S. steel and aluminum imports come from Canada and other allies.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tariffs-trump-china-20180307-story.html#nws=mcnewsletter

ya think China will stop "over producing" steel for the WORLD market? :lol

So Trash pulled attention to himself, as Mueller keeps beavering towards biting a big hole in Trash's tiny log.

CosmicCowboy
03-08-2018, 08:26 AM
Meh. Told you guys they would walk that tariff shit back.

RandomGuy
03-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Meh. Told you guys they would walk that tariff shit back.

"may allow"

We'll see. Looks to me like he has talked himself into broad sanctions. This is like watching a slow-moving trainwreck. I hope the damage done is limited, but it is a big train of stupid careening out of control...

CosmicCowboy
03-08-2018, 02:22 PM
"may allow"

We'll see. Looks to me like he has talked himself into broad sanctions. This is like watching a slow-moving trainwreck. I hope the damage done is limited, but it is a big train of stupid careening out of control...

Meh I've gotten to where I dont believe anything he says. He just pulls this stream of consciousness shit out of his ass and forgets about it the next week.

Chris
03-08-2018, 03:28 PM

RandomGuy
03-08-2018, 03:37 PM
Meh I've gotten to where I dont believe anything he says. He just pulls this stream of consciousness shit out of his ass and forgets about it the next week.

He has been "forgetting" because he has had senior staff helping to keep him distracted. Senior staff that have been deserting the sinking ship.

What happens when the people helping him forget his bad ideas... aren't there any more, CC?

RandomGuy
03-08-2018, 03:39 PM

https://www.yahoo.com/news/yahoo-news-now-191933606.html

We get to find out.

Chris
03-08-2018, 04:01 PM

Pavlov
03-08-2018, 04:05 PM
971835184558608384:lol President Dennison already backed down

RandomGuy
03-08-2018, 04:06 PM

The president has called for a 25 percent tariff on imported steel and a 10 percent levy on imported aluminum. Although Trump initially wanted to apply the tariffs worldwide, carve-outs were added for Canada and Mexico for the time being. Aides say exceptions could be made for other U.S. allies.

Negotiating tactic for NAFTA revamp. Both governments have reacted poorly to threats. I give a good chance these exceptions will be removed as those talks break down.

RandomGuy
03-08-2018, 04:17 PM
:lol President Dennison already backed down

Canada + mexico = 25% of imports.

Tariffs now in place on the other 75% it seems.

Markets priced in this last week, so the news is already "built in" to averages.

Expect an uptick in inflation in a few months as the higher prices work their way through.

Expect to see manufacturing job losses in about the same time frame 6-12 months, as US consumers of steel start to contract due to higher materials costs.

https://ei.marketwatch.com/Multimedia/2018/03/06/Photos/ZH/MW-GE937_steel__20180306133535_ZH.jpg

Poor Trump voters. Fucked over worse than the poor shits in Trump "University"

Brazil
03-08-2018, 04:19 PM
:lol companies already looking at speeding up delocalizing plants from US to Mexico

Brazil
03-08-2018, 04:19 PM
:lol what a fucking idiot

Chris
03-08-2018, 04:23 PM

RandomGuy
03-08-2018, 04:24 PM
Canada and Mexico are waging a pressure campaign to save NAFTA

Last Wednesday, two Canadian government officials speaking on the condition of anonymity told Reuters that they were concerned about that actually happening — and soon. Shortly after the news broke, big companies whose profits are heavily tied to NAFTA staying intact saw their stocks plunge. General Motors lost more than $2 billion in value in less than 90 minutes. And Wall Street’s major stock indexes ended lower on Wednesday in part due to concerns about how NAFTA falling apart could rock the regional economy.

Experts say that those Canadian government sources might have actually been trying to provoke a reaction from investors to demonstrate to the Trump administration the perils of leaving the free trade agreement.

“I think it was a trial balloon intended to get a market reaction, which it did,” Edward Alden, a trade expert at the Council on Foreign Relations, told me. “The goal was to reinforce the argument that ... pulling out of NAFTA will be bad for the markets and for the US economy.

https://www.vox.com/world/2018/1/16/16882662/trump-withdraw-nafta-canada-mexico

boutons_deux
03-08-2018, 04:24 PM
25% + markups by metals distribution channel

RandomGuy
03-08-2018, 04:25 PM

U.S. Trade Gap Widens to Post-Recession High
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-07/u-s-trade-gap-widens-to-post-recession-high-amid-tariff-threat

"or another" A recession would do that. :lol

dabom
03-08-2018, 04:27 PM
Another fucking recession while we elect another fucking repug. :lmao

dabom
03-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Can we go to one person one vote count. I'm tired of all the presidents kowtowing to little shitty states to win an election. :lol

More people would actually vote if they knew their vote mattered too. :lol

dabom
03-08-2018, 04:30 PM
How the majority of the US is progressive and we are going backwards all the fucking time. :lmao

RandomGuy
03-08-2018, 04:31 PM
The European Union is preparing punitive tariffs on iconic U.S. brands produced in key Republican constituencies, raising political pressure on President Donald Trump to ditch his plan for taxing steel imports.

Targeting 2.8 billion euros ($3.5 billion) of American goods, the EU aims to apply a 25 percent tit-for-tat levy on a range of consumer, agricultural and steel products imported from the U.S. if Trump follows through on his tariff threat, according to a list drawn up by the European Commission and obtained by Bloomberg News. The list of targeted U.S. goods -- including motorcycles, jeans and bourbon whiskey -- sends a political message to Washington about the potential domestic economic costs of making good on the president’s threat.

Paul Ryan, Republican speaker of the House of Representatives, comes from the same state -- Wisconsin -- where motorbike maker Harley-Davidson Inc. is based. Earlier this week, Ryan said he was “extremely worried about the consequences of a trade war” and urged Trump to drop his tariff proposal.

Other U.S. politicians will also feel the pressure. Bourbon whiskey hails from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s home state of Kentucky. San Francisco-based jeans maker Levi Strauss is headquartered in House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi’s district.

The tariffs included in draft list discussed on Monday can be imposed without waiting for WTO dispute-settlement procedures, according to the European Commission’s briefing to EU government envoys. They are retaliatory measures worth 50 percent of the EU’s exports of steel which will be hurt by Trump’s plan, and hence can be imposed immediately, according to the commission.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-06/eu-targets-u-s-shirts-to-motorbikes-in-tariff-retaliation-plan

Trumps response to this will be tariffs on EU cars... and on it will go. The EU's economy collectively is larger than the US'.

Hang on to your jobs gentlemen.

dabom
03-08-2018, 04:32 PM
What is this dumb fuck doing. :lmao

dabom
03-08-2018, 04:34 PM
Deregulate, cut taxes, spend more than we make and then add tariffs to send us in a fucking recession again, oh and fuck up the stock market. :lmao

dabom
03-08-2018, 04:35 PM
Only thing missing is a couple of wars and then we got a real clusterfuck. :lmao

Chris
03-08-2018, 04:35 PM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-06/eu-targets-u-s-shirts-to-motorbikes-in-tariff-retaliation-plan

Trumps response to this will be tariffs on EU cars.

Hang on to your jobs gentlemen.

The EU is crumbling. Italy is about pull out. German protesters on the streets every day against Merkel. Trump effect is worldwide. Nationalism is back. Globalism is f'd and unfuckable.

spurraider21
03-08-2018, 04:36 PM
The EU is crumbling. Italy is about pull out. German protesters on the streets every day against Merkel. Trump effect is worldwide. Nationalism is back. Globalism is f'd and unfuckable.
:lmao le pen

dabom
03-08-2018, 04:36 PM
And cut benefits to the poor. I missed that one. :lol

Pavlov
03-08-2018, 04:38 PM
The EU is crumbling. Italy is about pull out. German protesters on the streets every day against Merkel. Trump effect is worldwide. Nationalism is back. Globalism is f'd and unfuckable.:lol Italy's pulling out would probably help the EU at this point. Still has almost the same GDP as Russia.

Merkel just won again.

What is globalism, Chris?

RandomGuy
03-08-2018, 04:39 PM
[farting noise]

um, sure. You go with that.

dabom
03-08-2018, 04:39 PM
You got to be some fucking idiot to vote republican or not vote at all in these coming elections. At any level.

dabom
03-08-2018, 04:40 PM
:lol Italy's pulling out would probably help the EU at this point. Still has almost the same GDP as Russia.

Merkel just won again.

What is globalism, Chris?

I asked him who the Globalists are like 2 months ago, he deflected. :lol

dabom
03-08-2018, 04:41 PM
Indiscriminate shouting by repugs. :lol

dabom
03-08-2018, 04:42 PM
I'm done. I'm outta here.

RandomGuy
03-08-2018, 04:43 PM

In all due seriousness, a kernel of truth there about a general sense of angst. Italy will stay, Merkel will continue in power. These trends have their own built-in backlash, as we will find out in November.

The dumbshits of "Trumpism" won't kill globalism. It will simply cede leadership to China, who will start setting the rules, and those rules will not favor the US.

Trump has turned the world against us, and that will have consequences.

RandomGuy
03-08-2018, 04:57 PM
:lol companies already looking at speeding up delocalizing plants from US to Mexico

Electrolux Halts Tennessee Expansion Amid Trump Metal Tariffs

Electrolux has put on hold a planned $250 million-plus investment in its Springfield, Tenn., kitchen appliance plant after President Trump announced his intention to impose sharp tariffs on imported steel and aluminum.

The Swedish majap maker told Reuters it has postponed any capital improvements at the manufacturing facility pending further details from Washington.

Electrolux said the duties could affect it indirectly by raising the price of U.S.-made steel, which it uses exclusively in its domestically-made products.

The investment was designed to modernize the Tennessee factory and expand it by 400,000 square feet to accommodate increased manufacturing capacity and a new line of freestanding cooking products.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.twice.com/product/electrolux-halts-tennessee-expansion-amid-trump-metal-tariffs

Chris
03-08-2018, 05:13 PM

Electrolux has put on hold a planned $250 million-plus investment in its Springfield, Tenn., kitchen appliance plant after President Trump announced his intention to impose sharp tariffs on imported steel and aluminum.

The Swedish majap maker told Reuters it has postponed any capital improvements at the manufacturing facility pending further details from Washington.

Electrolux said the duties could affect it indirectly by raising the price of U.S.-made steel, which it uses exclusively in its domestically-made products.

The investment was designed to modernize the Tennessee factory and expand it by 400,000 square feet to accommodate increased manufacturing capacity and a new line of freestanding cooking products.

https://www.twice.com/product/electrolux-halts-tennessee-expansion-amid-trump-metal-tariffs

However, the company told the local Greenville News that it will continue a separate $250 million-plus modernization and expansion program at its refrigerator/freezer facility in Anderson, S.C., which it began last year.

Electrolux is adding 800,000 square feet to the plant, which will produce a new line of Frigidaire products, and is consolidating freezer production there from its factory in St. Cloud, Minn., which is scheduled to close next year.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fusatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com %2F2014%2F01%2Flarry-david-yawn.gif%3Fw%3D1000&f=1

RandomGuy
03-08-2018, 05:19 PM
https://www.economist.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/640-width/20180310_FBM962.png

RandomGuy
03-08-2018, 05:22 PM
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fusatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com %2F2014%2F01%2Flarry-david-yawn.gif%3Fw%3D1000&f=1

I'm sure the people who would have been hired think that's a yawner, dumbass.

I am gonna rub every single plant closure and canceled project in your face.

Chris
03-08-2018, 05:24 PM
I'm sure the people who would have been hired think that's a yawner, dumbass.

I am gonna rub every single plant closure and canceled project in your face.

That Trump Derangement Syndrome thingy

Pavlov
03-08-2018, 06:16 PM
That Trump Derangement Syndrome thingyThat Trump blind worship thingy

boutons_deux
03-08-2018, 06:47 PM
Why steel tariffs failed when Bush was president

Efforts to help one industry often anger dozens of others, as well as longtime trading partners

When George W. Bush tried to save the steel industry in 2002 by raising tariffs on selected steel products,

many Republicans and business groups say the result was a disaster.

More jobs were lost than saved.

The states he sought to help suffered.

And in the end, the tariffs were overturned.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/07/steel-tariffs-trump-bush-391426

boutons_deux
03-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Trump’s most hardcore America First trade adviser is on the brink of getting a lot more power

Peter Navarro, an anti-China obsessive, could be promoted to Trump’s top economic adviser.

Now, it appears that the prickly America First advocate who played a crucial role in driving Cohn to quit could, in fact, be taking his old position:

Trump administration officials are reportedly considering White House trade adviser Peter Navarro (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-cohn/after-tariff-fight-loss-trump-economic-adviser-cohn-quits-idUSKCN1GI2ZS) as one of the leading candidates to head the National Economic Council (NEC).

If Navarro is chosen, it would be an extraordinary turn of events for the eccentric economist.

In the earlier days of the administration, Navarro played a significant role (https://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/17/peter-navarro-trump-trade-240611) in encouraging Trump’s skepticism of free trade on issues ranging from NAFTA to how the US does business with China.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/8/17091012/tariffs-peter-navarro-death-by-china-steel-aluminum

Chris
03-08-2018, 06:58 PM

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/trump-elon-musks-tweets-on-tariffs-very-interesting

Pavlov
03-08-2018, 07:00 PM

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/trump-elon-musks-tweets-on-tariffs-very-interestingWhat Chinese cars are sold in the US?

CosmicCowboy
03-08-2018, 07:01 PM
China sends cars to the US?

Pavlov
03-08-2018, 07:07 PM
China sends cars to the US?I found four-- two from GM, one from Ford and one from Volvo.

Currently I see no 东风汽车s being imported to the US.

boutons_deux
03-08-2018, 07:09 PM
What Chinese cars are sold in the US?

the low US tariff on chinese car imports is overwhelming US domestic car mfrs

boutons_deux
03-08-2018, 07:11 PM
I found four-- two from GM, one from Ford and one from Volvo.

Are GM, Ford, and Volvos from China subject to import tariffs?

Pavlov
03-08-2018, 07:12 PM
Are GM, Ford, and Volvos from China subject to import tariffs?Good question. I imagine so since it's so low anyway.

clambake
03-08-2018, 07:12 PM

good question boo

boutons_deux
03-08-2018, 07:15 PM
Good question. I imagine so since it's so low anyway.

maybe if Trash put a 50% tariff on smartphones, US mfrs would ramp up. :)

Chris
03-08-2018, 07:22 PM
gRpEXJG0g2c

Cruz talks about his disdain for tariffs and destroys Joe on a gun debate. :lol

spurraider21
03-08-2018, 07:26 PM
destroys Joe on a gun debate. :lol
republican on republican violence

Chris
03-08-2018, 07:45 PM
republican on republican violence

It's actually a really good watch, and Grassley Cruz bill would have stopped Sutherland Springs.

Pavlov
03-08-2018, 08:08 PM
It's actually a really good watch, and Grassley Cruz bill would have stopped Sutherland Springs.Does that require guns in churches?

Chris
03-08-2018, 08:10 PM
Does that require guns in churches?

Nope.

ElNono
03-09-2018, 04:00 AM
When steelworker talked about the hardships he faced after his father lost his job, Trump said, “Well, your father, Herman, is looking down. He’s very proud of you.” Informed that the man’s father was still alive, Trump quipped, “Then he’s even more proud.”

Brazil
03-09-2018, 06:51 AM

only an idiot like Trump does not understand how things work...

All auto makers Tier 1 already sent letters to their customers with price increases request due to new tariffs, all auto makers are already pushing back about footprint and how Tiers 1 are going to compensate for those taxes... Simple answer gtfo US and increase production from countries who will get exemption like Canada or Mexico.

If you impose tariff to importation you cannot create exceptions for some countries... uterly stupid

At the end countries that will benefit from exemptions can thank Donald

well one good thing is US won't need a wall anymore, jobs are gonna be created in Mexico

:lmao Donaldd....

Brazil
03-09-2018, 06:52 AM
When steelworker talked about the hardships he faced after his father lost his job, Trump said, “Well, your father, Herman, is looking down. He’s very proud of you.” Informed that the man’s father was still alive, Trump quipped, “Then he’s even more proud.”

this one is hilarious too

but there are so many.. difficult to keep up

TeyshaBlue
03-09-2018, 08:56 AM

All 15 of them. :lol

RandomGuy
03-09-2018, 11:34 AM
Does that require guns in churches?

If you give guns to school employees do librarians get silencers?

CosmicCowboy
03-09-2018, 11:54 AM

Get all your posts from facebook? :lol

RandomGuy
03-09-2018, 01:09 PM
Get all your posts from facebook? :lol

Guilty as charged. That shit was funny.

Chris
03-09-2018, 01:51 PM

Pathetic. Trying to pass that off as your own. I'm sure most of your posts are copy pasta too. :lol

dabom
03-09-2018, 01:53 PM

Chris
03-09-2018, 06:13 PM

Spurtacular
03-11-2018, 11:24 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYCnN7wVAAA3AUc.jpg:large

Chumpette response: :cry

koriwhat
03-12-2018, 02:53 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYCnN7wVAAA3AUc.jpg:large

Chumpette response: :cry

Seems fair to me.

johnsmith
03-12-2018, 10:58 PM
Price of rebar went up across the Midwest and Texas by $50 a ton today. Weird cause scrap didn’t go up....it’s almost like gigantic companies that own steel mills are artificially raising the price now because there’s nothing preventing them from doing so, and the smaller companies are about to all get fucked.

This was a dumb idea.

ducks
03-12-2018, 11:07 PM
Bad rebar cost lived
Lives are important

johnsmith
03-12-2018, 11:14 PM
Bad rebar cost lived
Lives are important

You read that from a fortune cookie?

Chris
03-13-2018, 02:09 AM

midnightpulp
03-14-2018, 01:01 AM
Price of rebar went up across the Midwest and Texas by $50 a ton today. Weird cause scrap didn’t go up....it’s almost like gigantic companies that own steel mills are artificially raising the price now because there’s nothing preventing them from doing so, and the smaller companies are about to all get fucked.

This was a dumb idea.

And U.S. steel is trash. The only thing these tariffs will achieve is subsidizing a subpar product, forcing consumers into a decision that might not be best for the interests of themselves or their company. Furthermore, it'll kill any incentive for US steel firms to innovative and competitively price since they'll have a literal stranglehold on the market. Case in point:

For Scheurich, 69, whose production of industrial parts depends almost entirely on importing specialized steel from Japan and Sweden, the restrictions on foreign-made metals pose a direct threat to his business. Though the president insists tariffs will force companies such as his to “buy American,” Scheurich confronts a more complex globalized reality.

“What people don’t understand about the steels I use is it doesn’t have anything to do with price. I’ve tried to find domestic sources,” he said. “ . . . I’m not importing it because of price. I’m importing it because of quality and I can get it.”
Scheurich said he has to buy from foreign companies [B]because decades of consolidation in the domestic steel industry have left few U.S. mills producing the high-quality steel he requires. The limited amount of American steel he can obtain too often has obvious flaws, he said.

"Decades of consolidation" translates into monopoly and illustrates my point how when US steel firms consolidated, the quality of the product tanked since there was no longer a dynamic marketplace featuring many competing companies all pushing each other in terms of innovation and price. US Steel got fat and lazy under this uncompetitive environment, allowing foreign firms to swoop in with a better product at a better price. Now the US Steel industry is essentially getting a bail out for their incompetence in the form of these tariffs.

In the late 1990s, Scheurich bought about half of his annual steel needs from U.S. mills. But today, he can obtain from U.S. mills only about 2 percent of his $10 million in annual steel purchases.

The quality of the domestic steel that Scheurich can acquire is often disappointing. Showing a visitor around his 50,000-square-foot factory, Scheurich points out the differences between immaculate steel forgings from Japan and an American alternative.
“Look at this!” he says, pointing to visible imperfections in the surface of the U.S. product.

And since the tariffs are poised to limit outside competition, there won't be some miraculous reviving of the US Steel industry. They'll simply price gouge, as per your example.

boutons_deux
03-14-2018, 01:20 PM
Out of 43 Economists, Not One Backed Trump’s Tariffs

A new University of Chicago survey (http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-steel-aluminum-tariffs-poll-economist-survey-2018-3) of 43 top economists found not a single one said President Trump’s new tariffs on steel and aluminum will end up being a net positive for Americans.

Overall,

65% of respondents said they “strongly disagreed”

when asked if Trump’s move “imposing new US tariffs on steel and aluminum will improve Americans’ welfare,” while

28% simply disagreed.

http://www.pensitoreview.com/2018/03/14/out-of-43-economists-not-one-backed-trumps-tariffs/

U Chicago is home of socio/economic Darwinism, loved by the oligarchy.

boutons_deux
03-15-2018, 06:58 AM
U.S. solar forecast ratcheted down as tariffs weigh

U.S. solar energy installations will grow slower than previously expected in the coming years due to the Trump administration’s tariffs on panel imports and new federal tax laws that will restrict investment in the clean energy source,

Installations between 2018 and 2022 will be 13 percent lower than originally forecast, GTM Research

It will be years before U.S. solar installations again hit the peak level of 2016, GTM said.

The market is not expected to return to the 15.2 gigawatts installed that year at least through 2023.

In 2017, the United States installed 10.6 GW of solar, and 2018 is expected to be similar.

The slowdown marks a major shift for the solar industry, which has experienced runaway gains in the last decade thanks to government policies that support renewable energy and a sharp fall in the price of the technology.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-solar/u-s-solar-forecast-ratcheted-down-as-tariffs-weigh-idUSKCN1GR0C5?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

Trash has no fucking idea of what he does, and even less of an idea of the results of his decisions.

johnsmith
03-16-2018, 06:20 AM
And U.S. steel is trash. The only thing these tariffs will achieve is subsidizing a subpar product, forcing consumers into a decision that might not be best for the interests of themselves or their company. Furthermore, it'll kill any incentive for US steel firms to innovative and competitively price since they'll have a literal stranglehold on the market. Case in point:

"Decades of consolidation" translates into monopoly and illustrates my point how when US steel firms consolidated, the quality of the product tanked since there was no longer a dynamic marketplace featuring many competing companies all pushing each other in terms of innovation and price. US Steel got fat and lazy under this uncompetitive environment, allowing foreign firms to swoop in with a better product at a better price. Now the US Steel industry is essentially getting a bail out for their incompetence in the form of these tariffs.

And since the tariffs are poised to limit outside competition, there won't be some miraculous reviving of the US Steel industry. They'll simply price gouge, as per your example.

It’s really amazing how many suckers think this is really good for our economy too because trump told them so. Cracks me up how many people I’ve explained the repercussions of this too about just simple rebar and they’re just flabbergasted by the end of the conversation.....my favorite are the ones that refuse to believe it.

RandomGuy
03-16-2018, 09:54 AM
It’s really amazing how many suckers think this is really good for our economy too because trump told them so. Cracks me up how many people I’ve explained the repercussions of this too about just simple rebar and they’re just flabbergasted by the end of the conversation.....my favorite are the ones that refuse to believe it.

That simply shows how effective conservative media propaganda is, and how ill-suited most of the Trump party base is to resist disinformation.

What is ironic is that the people who voted for Trump thinking he will help their situation are going to be the ones hurt most.

At this point, I don't really feel sorry for them. Not in the slightest.

johnsmith
03-16-2018, 10:02 AM
That simply shows how effective conservative media propaganda is, and how ill-suited most of the Trump party base is to resist disinformation.

What is ironic is that the people who voted for Trump thinking he will help their situation are going to be the ones hurt most.

At this point, I don't really feel sorry for them. Not in the slightest.

I don’t think it’s conservative media being overly effective....I think it’s narrow mindedness coupled with partisan politics. I know it’s anecdotal but my parents are a great example....they’ve been extremely successful throughout their lives in the construction industry and so they automatically side with Republicans, but then they’ve been so disenchanted with politicians in general over the past 60 years, they want to believe a DC outsider is the solution so badly they refuse to look at the other side of the argument....it’s just plain stubbornness and they know they don’t have to deal with repercussions because they will be dead in twenty years.

And honestly RG, I voted for Trump too. I really do agree with him on 90% of the issues but this tariff thing has been a real eye opener for me. Yes it impacts me greatly on a day to day so it’s easy for me to pay attention too, but at the same time, it’s goig to have such a negative impact on my livelihood it’s making me long for the days of do nothing politicians.

johnsmith
03-16-2018, 10:03 AM
I guess I don’t have much of a point, I just hate this decision so much I wanna talk about it all the time nowadays....and I have to for work anyway.

RandomGuy
03-16-2018, 10:18 AM
I don’t think it’s conservative media being overly effective....I think it’s narrow mindedness coupled with partisan politics. I know it’s anecdotal but my parents are a great example....they’ve been extremely successful throughout their lives in the construction industry and so they automatically side with Republicans, but then they’ve been so disenchanted with politicians in general over the past 60 years, they want to believe a DC outsider is the solution so badly they refuse to look at the other side of the argument....it’s just plain stubbornness and they know they don’t have to deal with repercussions because they will be dead in twenty years.

And honestly RG, I voted for Trump too. I really do agree with him on 90% of the issues but this tariff thing has been a real eye opener for me. Yes it impacts me greatly on a day to day so it’s easy for me to pay attention too, but at the same time, it’s goig to have such a negative impact on my livelihood it’s making me long for the days of do nothing politicians.

The problem is that this is just the tip of the shitberg. Trump is single handedly flushing American greatness down the toilet.

He is hollowing out the Federal government's talent pool in a political witch hunt.
He is alienating allies we need for things we want.
He praises dictators, and shows no commitment to the values and freedoms that made our country what it is.
He is turning the world against us. This has economic consequences.

Immigrants are not the problem he says.

He makes lying acceptable, and is actively lining his pockets by profiting from being president in his businesses', actively breaking laws doing it.

The tone at the top he is setting is corrosive and filters out throughout his administration, manifesting in corruption unseen since the gilded age. The EPA deputy winning the right to consult with companies whose identities he doesn't have to disclose says all you need to know about that.

johnsmith
03-16-2018, 10:24 AM
The problem is that this is just the tip of the shitberg. Trump is single handedly flushing American greatness down the toilet.

He is hollowing out the Federal government's talent pool in a political witch hunt.
He is alienating allies we need for things we want.
He praises dictators, and shows no commitment to the values and freedoms that made our country what it is.
He is turning the world against us. This has economic consequences.

Immigrants are not the problem he says.

He makes lying acceptable, and is actively lining his pockets by profiting from being president in his businesses', actively breaking laws doing it.

The tone at the top he is setting is corrosive and filters out throughout his administration, manifesting in corruption unseen since the gilded age. The EPA deputy winning the right to consult with companies whose identities he doesn't have to disclose says all you need to know about that.

Don’t kill me for this one, but I think your post here is one of he main problems for liberals right now....you’re so mad at the entire situation that you’re all over the place with the complaints (I don’t totally blame you either because I’d be the same way if Hillary had won). Your above post has little relevance to what we were discussing but you cant help it because you view EVERYTHING as an issue (again, don’t blame you).

CosmicCowboy
03-16-2018, 10:30 AM
Im already getting a lot of price increase notices even before details are finalized.

RandomGuy
03-16-2018, 11:36 AM
Don’t kill me for this one, but I think your post here is one of he main problems for liberals right now....you’re so mad at the entire situation that you’re all over the place with the complaints (I don’t totally blame you either because I’d be the same way if Hillary had won). Your above post has little relevance to what we were discussing but you cant help it because you view EVERYTHING as an issue (again, don’t blame you).

Not entirely unfair observation.

I can summarize what is going on wrong a lot more simply: A thoroughly corrupt and incompetent president.

That incompetence is the cause of the tariffs in the OP. I was merely noting that the tariffs were the tip of the shitberg. If you think you 90% support him, the problem is that you aren't really paying attention. His policies are shit, because he has no grasp on any of the important issues.

The corruption and incompetence is so breathtaking in its scope that remaining silent is to be complicit in the destruction, akin to watching a building burn down and not calling the fire department, because you like the glow.

RandomGuy
03-16-2018, 11:39 AM
Im already getting a lot of price increase notices even before details are finalized.

At this point that is a good thing, IMO. As many people as possible need to feel the pain of Trumps stupidity. It will be the only thing that sinks in to get past the right wing media echo chamber.

boutons_deux
03-16-2018, 11:52 AM
Trump Readies Sweeping Tariffs and Investment Restrictions on China

Mr. Trump and his top trade advisers are readying a raft of actions to penalize China’s theft of American intellectual property, including tariffs on at least $30 billion of annual Chinese imports,

may also include investment restrictions, caps on visas for Chinese researchers and challenges to China’s trade practices at the World Trade Organization

asked for a figure beyond $30 billion and for the plan to be officially announced in the coming weeks, according to two people familiar with the exchange.

devising the measure to broadly counter a Chinese strategy known as the Made in China 2025 plan (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/business/made-in-china-technology-trade.html). China introduced a comprehensive initiative in 2015 to upgrade Chinese industry over the next decade and dominate sectors of the future,

the idea of targeting China has broad support among a number of officials who believe China is cheating in global trade.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/us/politics/trump-china-trade-measures.html

RandomGuy
03-16-2018, 12:11 PM
Trump Readies Sweeping Tariffs and Investment Restrictions on China

Mr. Trump and his top trade advisers are readying a raft of actions to penalize China’s theft of American intellectual property, including tariffs on at least $30 billion of annual Chinese imports,

may also include investment restrictions, caps on visas for Chinese researchers and challenges to China’s trade practices at the World Trade Organization

asked for a figure beyond $30 billion and for the plan to be officially announced in the coming weeks, according to two people familiar with the exchange.

devising the measure to broadly counter a Chinese strategy known as the Made in China 2025 plan (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/business/made-in-china-technology-trade.html). China introduced a comprehensive initiative in 2015 to upgrade Chinese industry over the next decade and dominate sectors of the future,

the idea of targeting China has broad support among a number of officials who believe China is cheating in global trade.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/us/politics/trump-china-trade-measures.html

Awesome. Let's fucking do it. Trump unchained.

baseline bum
03-16-2018, 12:28 PM

How can you agree with Trump on 90% of the issues when Trump's stance has been all over the place on healthcare, DACA, trade, etc? Or do you mean you agree with Paul Ryan's agenda that Trump has rubber stamped since getting elected 90% of the time?

johnsmith
03-16-2018, 06:08 PM
How can you agree with Trump on 90% of the issues when Trump's stance has been all over the place on healthcare, DACA, trade, etc? Or do you mean you agree with Paul Ryan's agenda that Trump has rubber stamped since getting elected 90% of the time?

You’re absolutely correct....I need to rephrase that because it’s something I say often when discussing Trump....what I should really be saying is that I agreed with 90% of his economic policies as they were laid out on his platform while running for office.

Honestly, I think I’m just in a stop saying that.

johnsmith
03-16-2018, 06:10 PM
Not entirely unfair observation.

I can summarize what is going on wrong a lot more simply: A thoroughly corrupt and incompetent president.

That incompetence is the cause of the tariffs in the OP. I was merely noting that the tariffs were the tip of the shitberg. If you think you 90% support him, the problem is that you aren't really paying attention. His policies are shit, because he has no grasp on any of the important issues.

The corruption and incompetence is so breathtaking in its scope that remaining silent is to be complicit in the destruction, akin to watching a building burn down and not calling the fire department, because you like the glow.

Lol....that last part cracked me up. As for the rest of it....that’s fair and I need to stop only focusing on what impacts me alone.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-16-2018, 06:50 PM

His solution is to remove what he sees as the problem namely the POTUS and his GOP congress. He is fairly single minded in purpose. I see no problem with it.

midnightpulp
03-16-2018, 11:25 PM
Awesome. Let's fucking do it. Trump unchained.

Something does need to be done about China, but obviously I'm not confident in Trump having anywhere near the competence to handle the situation. They are indeed the biggest "cheat" in global trade, with nefarious practices that would make even the most merciless Fortune 500 company blush. Dumping, blatant disregard for intellectual property laws and rights, patent infringement, the list goes on. Amazon is also complicit here for having piss poor quality control in what they'll sell on the site. A common Chinese tactic is to see what items are hot sellers on Amazon and the like, reverse engineer the product, and then undercut the original. And in pretty much every instance, it's of much lower quality and even dangerous, as in the case of this egg shaped pet bed that was a hit on Amazon. Chinese merchant ripped off the design, but didn't build their version correctly, and it wound up tipping over and suffocating pets.

RandomGuy
03-19-2018, 09:17 AM
Lol....that last part cracked me up. As for the rest of it....that’s fair and I need to stop only focusing on what impacts me alone.

The level if disregard for ethics and good transparent governance is without precedent. I have read enough to make me truly alarmed at what is happening.

The deputy EPA chief being allowed to consult with businesses and not disclose who is paying him... wow.

The problem is that putting ideology over competence, and driving out experience and knowledge WILL have an impact, but that won't be felt for years. It's like letting the infrastructure under a bridge decay. You don't see it until it collapses and someone dies.

It will be subtle, but will affect everybody in some way.

RandomGuy
03-19-2018, 09:18 AM

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-trump-tariff-layoffs-begin-1521241456

The Trump Tariff Layoffs Begin
A keg manufacturer lays off workers as domestic steel prices rise.

RandomGuy
03-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Something does need to be done about China, but obviously I'm not confident in Trump having anywhere near the competence to handle the situation. They are indeed the biggest "cheat" in global trade, with nefarious practices that would make even the most merciless Fortune 500 company blush. Dumping, blatant disregard for intellectual property laws and rights, patent infringement, the list goes on. Amazon is also complicit here for having piss poor quality control in what they'll sell on the site. A common Chinese tactic is to see what items are hot sellers on Amazon and the like, reverse engineer the product, and then undercut the original. And in pretty much every instance, it's of much lower quality and even dangerous, as in the case of this egg shaped pet bed that was a hit on Amazon. Chinese merchant ripped off the design, but didn't build their version correctly, and it wound up tipping over and suffocating pets.

Yup. Pretty much right on all counts.

Trump's big problem is that he is not really all that intelligent, and profoundly uncurious. This means his understanding of the world is based on the way it was in 1985.

Shit has changed, but because he does not follow events, nor bother with developing an understanding of issues, his entire conception of reality is flawed.

Good policy coming out of a fantasy world rarely happens. Even a blind man can throw darts and hit a bull's-eye on occasion, but don't bet on it.

So instead of policies aimed at intellectual property, we have policies based on metal. Instead of focusing on job training for new jobs, we have policies that solve a problem that never really existed in the first place (most steel jobs got lost to automation, not foreign competition)

boutons_deux
03-20-2018, 07:16 AM
Implementation of metals tariffs remains muddled days before they take effect

governments and businesses across the globe are in a fog as to what is happening and

are bracing for at least a short-term hit because of what many criticize as the administration's slapdash process.

he exempted Mexico and Canada, at least temporarily, and said that

other nations could negotiate with the White House to get out of paying duties on tens of billions of dollars of imports.

the administration still has not spelled out in any detail what trading partners must do to secure a country exemption.

And with just a few days before the tariffs take effect, the void has left many companies and governments frustrated and concerned that the trade action could spiral into a global crisis.

Trade ministers from Europe and other countries have been scrambling to meet with Trump officials in recent days,

even as they and business groups in the U.S. and abroad have been waiting for the administration to clarify what it will take for nations to get tariff exemptions.

"Clear as mud," said one diplomatic official in Washington of the process.

"The entire process, the tone, time schedules — all these elements —

are annoying people here and

harming the image of the United States in an unnecessary fashion,"

Trump charged ahead with the formal tariff orders, which he justified on the basis of national security,

even before his administration could prepare the necessary rules and procedures for countries and companies seeking exemptions for steel and aluminum products.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tariff-exemptions-confusion-20180320-story.html#nws=mcnewsletter

piece of shit self-pre-occupied sicko Trash provides nothing but toxic chaos, while the Repugs and oligarchy love how he's fucking up govt, which is their long-term strategy anyway.

RandomGuy
03-22-2018, 09:17 AM
So now we have Chinese tariffs announced.

Chinese government will be more than happy to leverage any pain felt into anti-US, pro-government sentiment.

For the Chinese government the tariffs will be a win-win, as it will allow them political capital to do things they wouldn't otherwise.

Trump has miscalculated his negotiating position, and badly.

RandomGuy
03-22-2018, 09:18 AM
rump on Thursday is set to announce wide-reaching tariffs on at least $50 billion worth of Chinese imports, an administration official said, following a seven-month investigation into the intellectual property theft, which has been a longstanding point of contention in US-China trade relations.
The move, which comes on the heels of the administration's steel and aluminum tariffs that also took aim at China, has already been met with threats of retaliation from China and is heightening concerns of a global trade war that could destabilize the global economy -- fears the Trump administration has repeatedly brushed off.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/22/politics/donald-trump-china-tariffs-trade-war/index.html

boutons_deux
03-22-2018, 09:23 AM
Hilarious that Trash is punishing China for ripping off USA, after Trash has ripped off his suppliers for decades.

Reck
03-22-2018, 10:20 AM
:lol I thought Xi Jinping was Trump's dude?

This guy doesn't know what the fuck he's doing.

RandomGuy
03-22-2018, 10:26 AM

Looks like we get to find out.

As noted, Trump's tariffs are a good thing for Beijing, who will get to use them politically.

boutons_deux
03-22-2018, 11:49 AM
How Trump’s Protectionism Backfires
https://static01.nyt.com/newsgraphics/2018/03/13/porter-china-steel/6f8124bc8af9ade3f37a12977c47acbfb00d455c/producers-945.png

https://static01.nyt.com/newsgraphics/2018/03/13/porter-china-steel/6f8124bc8af9ade3f37a12977c47acbfb00d455c/users-945.png

Many of the industries sensitive to the
tariffs are clustered in places that turned
out most enthusiastically for Mr. Trump.

https://static01.nyt.com/newsgraphics/2018/03/13/porter-china-steel/6f8124bc8af9ade3f37a12977c47acbfb00d455c/trump-voters-945.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/20/business/how-trumps-protectionism-backfires.html

RandomGuy
03-22-2018, 11:54 AM
"are you better off than you were a year ago" questions will be very pointed.

The US economy doesn't turn on a dime, and these tariffs will take a few months to be felt.

November is probably enough time for the first few layoffs and price increases to be evidenced.

LOL Trump 2020

boutons_deux
03-22-2018, 12:14 PM
10Ms still are NOT making the $$$, after inflation, they made back in early 2000's

Corporate America Is Suppressing Wages for Many Workers

It is tempting to think that wage stagnation is intractable, a result of long-term trends, like automation and globalization, that government is powerless to do anything about.

In fact, a growing body of evidence pins much of the blame on a specific culprit, one for which proven legal weapons already exist. But they are not being used.

The culprit is “monopsony power.”

This term is used by economists to refer to the ability of an employer to suppress wages below the efficient or perfectly competitive level of compensation.

a large seller — like a cable company — is able to demand high prices for poor service because consumers have no other choice.

It turns out that

many corporations possess bargaining power over their workers, not just over their consumers.

Their workers accept low wages and substandard working conditions because few alternative job opportunities exist for them or because switching jobs is costly. In other words, in the labor market,

effectively a small number of employers are competing for their labor.

Monopsony power is frequently created through

noncompete clauses and

no-poaching agreements and

is aimed at the most vulnerable workers.

contracts that limit their ability to find new jobs even after they leave their old one.

noncompete clauses remain ubiquitous.

one in five workers with a high school education or less are subject to a noncompete.

A quarter of all workers are covered by a noncompete agreement with their current employer or a past one.
over half of major franchises forbid their franchisees from competing for one another’s workers,

up from 36 percent in 1996.

Businesses have also discovered that they can push down labor costs by outsourcing (https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/01/04/future-work-independent-contractors-alternative-work-arrangements-216212)work.

Because outsourcing companies may have greater labor market power than the original firms, they can reduce workers’ wages.

common features of the labor market give enormous bargaining advantages to employers.

industries are increasingly dominated by a small number of huge companies, which means that workers have fewer choices among employers in their area.

When employers exercise monopsonistic power, wages are suppressed, jobs are left unfilled, and economic growth suffers.

the public learned that high-tech companies, including Google and Apple, had agreed not to poach one another’s talent (https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-requires-six-high-tech-companies-stop-entering-anticompetitive-employee), a flagrant monopsonistic tactic that brought down the wrath of the Justice Department.

no-poaching agreements have continued unabated.

Senators Warren and Booker have pressed (https://www.booker.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=699) the Justice Department to discharge its responsibilities. In its response, the

Justice Department professed it

“takes very seriously its mission to protect competition, :lol

which benefits both consumers and workers.” :lol

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/opinion/corporate-america-suppressing-wages.html?mtrref=undefined&assetType=opinion

Repug DoJ, controlled by Capital, ain't gonna do shit for Labor.

War on Employees will become more intense, ruthless

Capital crushing Labor will be the rule

Horrible U.S. inequality will increase horribly.

The American Dream, gotta be asleep to believe it.

johnsmith
03-23-2018, 11:50 AM
Hilarious that Trash is punishing China for ripping off USA, after Trash has ripped off his suppliers for decades.

In your own words, how has he ripped off suppliers for decades? Not saying your wrong, but would just like to know.

RandomGuy
03-23-2018, 12:10 PM
In your own words, how has he ripped off suppliers for decades? Not saying your wrong, but would just like to know.

To begin with: the contractors he owed money to when he went into bankruptcy were creditors who were in line for money after the big banks. They got shafted.

His companies are notorious for attempting to get out of paying because of some made up flaw in the work. That is part of why he gets sued so much.

RandomGuy
03-23-2018, 12:11 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/06/09/donald-trump-unpaid-bills-republican-president-laswuits/85297274/

Few hudred people there all claiming the same thing, in a lawsuit.

RandomGuy
03-23-2018, 12:12 PM
DC-area contractors claim Trump owes them more than $3 million

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/312846-dc-area-contractors-claim-trump-owes-them-more-than-3-million

RandomGuy
03-23-2018, 12:13 PM
Trump’s DC Hotel Tagged With $5 Million in Unpaid Worker Liens

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-05/trump-s-dc-hotel-tagged-with-5-million-in-unpaid-worker-liens

RandomGuy
03-23-2018, 12:13 PM
Hope that helps john

johnsmith
03-23-2018, 12:17 PM
Hope that helps john

Lol....it does RG....I only laugh cause I was asking Boutons and you’re currently irritated with people calling you baby boutons.

Regarding Trump....I agree, that’s horseshit....but it’s also par for the course regardingbcontractors and their relationships with suppliers. I deal with t every single day and I have a saying about it that I use quite often....”all contractors lie all the time....no exceptions”.

RandomGuy
03-23-2018, 12:19 PM
Lol....it does RG....I only laugh cause I was asking Boutons and you’re currently irritated with people calling you baby boutons.

Regarding Trump....I agree, that’s horseshit....but it’s also par for the course regardingbcontractors and their relationships with suppliers. I deal with t every single day and I have a saying about it that I use quite often....”all contractors lie all the time....no exceptions”.

Sorry, it seemed like a request for information that I knew something about. I should have let Boo speak for himself.