PDA

View Full Version : Lowe: Someone in league texted me and said there's a little bit of buzz about 2 for 11 + Aldridge

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

TD 21
11-05-2020, 06:16 PM
https://dcs.megaphone.fm/ESP5583191463.mp3?key=fdb3c025ff91c84a01c9e072c569 a3ae

26:30

Obviously said other salary would have to be going out predictably says he thinks it'd be crazy (I'm sure it'd be amazing if Aldridge wore a Raptors jersey though) and that when he started checking around, he doesn't think it'd be a realistic thing that the Warriors would do.

rjv
11-05-2020, 06:36 PM
i agree that it just doesn't seem a likely thing for GS (or even SA) to pull the trigger on.

Degoat
11-05-2020, 06:39 PM
It makes sense from a win now perspective but Aldridge value just isn’t that high

Sugus
11-05-2020, 06:41 PM
To be honest, I don't love losing the chance to draft two separate prospects with 2 and 11, but if this trade would avoid the Spurs getting Wiggins, it'd be good as well. I'm torn on it, I don't know which one I'd prefer. Neither are probably going down though, so...

daslicer
11-05-2020, 06:50 PM
To be honest, I don't love losing the chance to draft two separate prospects with 2 and 11, but if this trade would avoid the Spurs getting Wiggins, it'd be good as well. I'm torn on it, I don't know which one I'd prefer. Neither are probably going down though, so...

Wiseman has superstar potential. He could turn out to be a bust but it's worth the risk. Highly unlikely Spurs are going to pick somebody at 11 that has superstar potential.

Robz4000
11-05-2020, 06:54 PM
If the Spurs don't have to take back Wiggins I'm fine with it.

TD 21
11-05-2020, 06:57 PM
I've said all along that I wouldn't do it if I were the Warriors and I don't believe they would either, but given the unique circumstances they find themselves in, calling it crazy goes too far.

daslicer
11-05-2020, 06:58 PM
If the Spurs don't have to take back Wiggins I'm fine with it.

Spurs might have to eat Wiggins contract to have a shot at the number 2 pick. Wiggins is trash but I would be willing to risk it to get Wiseman. Spurs are not going to get that many opportunities to acquire superstar talent. They have to jump on it when they have the chance.

Sugus
11-05-2020, 06:59 PM
Wiseman has superstar potential. He could turn out to be a bust but it's worth the risk. Highly unlikely Spurs are going to pick somebody at 11 that has superstar potential.

Agreed, that's what makes the offer so tempting. I still don't think GSW pulls it off, mainly because LMA didn't play in the bubble so there's a large risk of unknown with him being 35. I doubt GSW can't get a better offer than LMA + 11 alone. But we'll see soon enough I guess

Robz4000
11-05-2020, 07:07 PM
Spurs might have to eat Wiggins contract to have a shot at the number 2 pick. Wiggins is trash but I would be willing to risk it to get Wiseman. Spurs are not going to get that many opportunities to acquire superstar talent. They have to jump on it when they have the chance.

If the Spurs don't have to trade #11 I'd take on Wiggins. Either trade #11 or take on Wiggins, not both.

Degoat
11-05-2020, 07:21 PM
They value Wiggins people, I understand the circumstance that owners are losing money but there one of the few teams that can really spend and it not hurt them as much... I think there’s zero chance they’d include Wiggins

Robz4000
11-05-2020, 07:38 PM
They value Wiggins people, I understand the circumstance that owners are losing money but there one of the few teams that can really spend and it not hurt them as much... I think there’s zero chance they’d include Wiggins

:lol Wiggins is negative value my friend

Mugen
11-05-2020, 07:46 PM
If the Spurs don't have to trade #11 I'd take on Wiggins. Either trade #11 or take on Wiggins, not both.

I wouldn't take on Wiggins even if they kept 11 tbh. I'd be fine with taking shitty contracts via a 3rd team but no way I want Wiggins on the team unless they're 100% sold that Wiseman is Timmy 2.0.

Robz4000
11-05-2020, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't take on Wiggins even if they kept 11 tbh. I'd be fine with taking shitty contracts via a 3rd team but no way I want Wiggins on the team unless they're 100% sold that Wiseman is Timmy 2.0.

I'd be fine with it since they could prolly turn him around and package him with #11/Murray to someone like Charlotte and bring back Monk/Batum.

Shakril
11-05-2020, 08:01 PM
Not gonna happen. GSW needs a Big-Man. Looney is not enough if they want to go against the Lakers. They can pick Wiseman at 2.

Dhbsr555
11-05-2020, 08:29 PM
I mean how would gs even be able to afford Aldridge they have 4 max contract

daslicer
11-05-2020, 08:31 PM
Not gonna happen. GSW needs a Big-Man. Looney is not enough if they want to go against the Lakers. They can pick Wiseman at 2.

It's a long shot that Warriors will give up the pick if Wiseman is a legit superstar. Still LMA has value considering they are going to have to go up against Davis,Jokic in the playoffs. The Clippers already showed what happens when you don't have a big to match up with Jokic. Against the Lakers they will need a big man that can slow down Davis and make him work. LMA can help in both scenarios against Jokic and Davis.

daslicer
11-05-2020, 08:32 PM
I mean how would gs even be able to afford Aldridge they have 4 max contract

Their owner has not cared about luxury tax for a while granted he might care now that he can't make money off of his new arena due to Covid.

FutureMan
11-05-2020, 08:43 PM
I’d want a third team involved so we don’t have to take Wiggins. Maybe:

GSW: Aldridge & SAS 11th
OKC: Wiggins & Murray
SAS: Paul & GSW 2nd

talkspurs
11-05-2020, 08:49 PM

Paul is a worse contract then Wiggins. Some people always go for the Star names.

Dhbsr555
11-05-2020, 08:58 PM

i would be all for this trade if Paul was younger but he’s like 36 double the contract of Murray .

exstatic
11-05-2020, 09:35 PM

They can’t wait 2-3 years for Wiseman, which is what it will take for him to develop. Their window will be closed by then. With their tax bill, his $9M year one salary also becomes $40M, and goes up every year after that. They are in tax territory that costs them $3.50 for every dollar over the tax line. 9M +3.5X9M = 40M.

talkspurs
11-05-2020, 09:42 PM
I have also seen several articles that GS has been trying to get a star and has been turned down by the teams they have reached out with using the #2 pick. I would not do #2 plus wiggins for LMA and #11 but I am almost certain GS would. I would bet they would even be willing to do #2 Plus Wiggins for LMA. I think there is an outside shot the Spurs could hold out for #2 plus Min 2021 1st with Wiggins for LMA. I think GS may try and roll with the team they have for that trade though.

Joseph Kony
11-05-2020, 09:48 PM
I've been calling for this trade since the lottery....in a "weak" draft, LMA for the #2 pick straight up would be the best GSW are going to get to put next to their trio, and it's a good deal for both sides. hope they take it and we don't have to give up #11, unless they give us Wiggins and the 2021 Minny pick

exstatic
11-05-2020, 09:49 PM

The funny thing about Wiggins, is that Pop managed to make Rudy Gay efficient. If he can do that, he can clean up Wiggins game to the point they may be able to flip him for an asset down the line.

talkspurs
11-05-2020, 09:49 PM
I've been calling for this trade since the lottery....in a "weak" draft, LMA for the #2 pick straight up would be the best GSW are going to get to put next to their trio, and it's a good deal for both sides. hope they take it and we don't have to give up #11, unless they give us Wiggins and the 2021 Minny pick

Wiggins has to be included to match salarys or a bunch of other players. I have been on the trade for awhile now too.

talkspurs
11-05-2020, 09:51 PM
The funny thing about Wiggins, is that Pop managed to make Rudy Gay efficient. If he can do that, he can clean up Wiggins game to the point they may be able to flip him for an asset down the line.

He also was better last season. He might be getting more mature. Would not put to much into it but it is why I would jump at the #2 plus him for LMA. Dont think I would be willing to give up #11 though because I am not sold on number 2 or him growing up.

Joseph Kony
11-05-2020, 09:52 PM
Wiggins has to be included to match salarys or a bunch of other players. I have been on the trade for awhile now too.
doesnt GS have a fairly large TPE they can absorb salary into?

talkspurs
11-05-2020, 09:55 PM
doesnt GS have a fairly large TPE they can absorb salary into?

I think it is under 18K and LMA makes 24K so he would not fit.

Sugus
11-05-2020, 09:57 PM
I have also seen several articles that GS has been trying to get a star and has been turned down by the teams they have reached out with using the #2 pick. I would not do #2 plus wiggins for LMA and #11 but I am almost certain GS would. I would bet they would even be willing to do #2 Plus Wiggins for LMA. I think there is an outside shot the Spurs could hold out for #2 plus Min 2021 1st with Wiggins for LMA. I think GS may try and roll with the team they have for that trade though.

Honestly, I think #2, plus Minny's '21 pick, and without the Spurs giving up #11, is too much for Golden State to give up to be realistic, even if they are dumping an awful contract that also gives them breathing room in tax terms. Sounds like a pipedream. Having said that, and considering what Ex says about their salary situation being so dire, I could see a scenario where the Warriors are wholly pressed to trade #2 on the condition that Wiggins also goes with it, and not finding any suitable partners beyond the Spurs that would take him. Sounds like daydreaming, but stranger things have happened for sure - it'd be a blessing for the Spurs if we managed to get that haul.

talkspurs
11-05-2020, 10:03 PM
Honestly, I think #2, plus Minny's '21 pick, and without the Spurs giving up #11, is too much for Golden State to give up to be realistic, even if they are dumping an awful contract that also gives them breathing room in tax terms. Sounds like a pipedream. Having said that, and considering what Ex says about their salary situation being so dire, I could see a scenario where the Warriors are wholly pressed to trade #2 on the condition that Wiggins also goes with it, and not finding any suitable partners beyond the Spurs that would take him. Sounds like daydreaming, but stranger things have happened for sure - it'd be a blessing for the Spurs if we managed to get that haul.

I think they may walk at that too but I also would not do it for Mini pick instead of # 2 because we dont know where Mini will end up. Some other things to look at if the Spurs feel #2 is not enough (I think they would if they keep 11 (i know I would) eould be getting either their pick next year or their 2nd this year.

Dejounte
11-05-2020, 10:14 PM
Funny, it wasn't long ago where we all thought the Spurs had zero chance of moving into the top 10 with the kind of "assets" we have. Turns out, This draft is so weak up top that it's looking like they'd settle for our garbage. (or maybe it was just ST downplaying the value of our players)

FutureMan
11-05-2020, 10:17 PM
Paul is a worse contract then Wiggins. Some people always go for the Star names.

i would be all for this trade if Paul was younger but he’s like 36 double the contract of Murray .

It’s actually debatable on who’s contract is worse considering Paul improved his play and has one less year on his deal.

mo7888
11-05-2020, 10:22 PM

I agree with this possibility... I also have to take in account that wiggins got his contract not ling ago so his value around the league may not be as low as we think on ST.

ducks
11-05-2020, 10:28 PM

If pop last that long
If Duncan helps him

rankingtear
11-05-2020, 10:31 PM
The worst contract right now is the one you have to attach an asset to move so that's Wiggins.

ginobilized
11-05-2020, 10:40 PM
Here’s a crazy idea:
LMA & Forbes for #2 pick & Wiggins from GS
DD, Beli & #11 for # 1 from Minnesota

Full rebuild and pick of the litter 2x

Just an idea, no idea if either is even possible.

Dverde
11-05-2020, 10:59 PM
Here’s a crazy idea:

Forbes and Marco are free agents.

baseline bum
11-05-2020, 11:01 PM

They don't want a rookie with Curry already 33. They want to win right now.

Sugus
11-05-2020, 11:33 PM
I think they may walk at that too but I also would not do it for Mini pick instead of # 2 because we dont know where Mini will end up. Some other things to look at if the Spurs feel #2 is not enough (I think they would if they keep 11 (i know I would) eould be getting either their pick next year or their 2nd this year.

Tbh, I'm not interested in the slightest on Warriors' picks beyond this year's. They are a solid organization and, though their core is aging, will probably at least make the playoffs for a couple more seasons after next one. Curry and Klay's games should age pretty well, so those picks wouldn't be of too much value. In comparison, I have much, much less faith in Minnesota to pull it together in time for the '21 pick to not be worth trading for. Lastly, for sure agree with you that the centerpiece of any deal with GSW has to be #2 and not the Minny pick, which might not even be top-5 with KAT and Dlo on the team.

Sugus
11-05-2020, 11:39 PM
Funny, it wasn't long ago where we all thought the Spurs had zero chance of moving into the top 10 with the kind of "assets" we have. Turns out, This draft is so weak up top that it's looking like they'd settle for our garbage. (or maybe it was just ST downplaying the value of our players)

It's a bit of an unexpected situation, because moreso than the top of the draft being actually weak, there's just not a lot of info on the prospects, so the top picks carry a lot more "negative" perceived value than in any other regular year due to increased bust chances. I think if COVID never happened, even though the top draftees would be the same "bad" pool, teams would be fighting for a chance to draft Wiseman or Edwards (or maybe some other prospect that caught fire during March Madness or whatever), instead of collectively trying to trade down, which further reduces the pick's values.

Makes it even more clear that this year is the Spurs' chance to pick at the top without having to tank for it. Make a trade with Minny/GS, draft well like they usually do, and we could be tremendously close to a full rebuild... Also, worth pointing out that we still don't know if any team will actually settle for our garbage, tho. It's just rumors at this point. Here's to hoping they're correct!

talkspurs
11-05-2020, 11:47 PM
Tbh, I'm not interested in the slightest on Warriors' picks beyond this year's. They are a solid organization and, though their core is aging, will probably at least make the playoffs for a couple more seasons after next one. Curry and Klay's games should age pretty well, so those picks wouldn't be of too much value. In comparison, I have much, much less faith in Minnesota to pull it together in time for the '21 pick to not be worth trading for. Lastly, for sure agree with you that the centerpiece of any deal with GSW has to be #2 and not the Minny pick, which might not even be top-5 with KAT and Dlo on the team.

I agree with they should make the PO the next few years. That being said Curry does have an injury history and I think Klay will be back to normal but you never know. I take the pick more to get something extra but also the next two drafts are supposed to deep. We might be able to get a player out of it. There are several players I like at the end of this draft so having another 1st is not bad. If we happen to pick a year where they struggle then it would be even better. Would not be something I would walk away from the deal on just I would always try and get the most I could.

objective
11-06-2020, 12:04 AM

I'm of the same mind.

Spurs giving up 11 to take back Wiggins doesn't work for me. There can be other things given up, like 41 + the rights to Milutinov. But 11 is too much.

And I don't even love Wiseman who seems to be the consensus top 3 guy worth moving up for. I think Okongwu and Williams might be better NBA players.

Wiseman probably won't deserve to even start over Poeltl as a rookie, maybe longer.

But I'm fine with the trade up if they kept 11 to mess around with.

objective
11-06-2020, 12:05 AM

Not a bad point.

cd021
11-06-2020, 12:23 AM
I'm of the same mind.

Spurs giving up 11 to take back Wiggins doesn't work for me. There can be other things given up, like 41 + the rights to Milutinov. But 11 is too much.

And I don't even love Wiseman who seems to be the consensus top 3 guy worth moving up for. I think Okongwu and Williams might be better NBA players.

Wiseman probably won't deserve to even start over Poeltl as a rookie, maybe longer.

But I'm fine with the trade up if they kept 11 to mess around with.

-I think the issue is that GSW taking on Aldridge adds $27.7 million to their expensive roster, plus they're in the repeater tax. They almost have to move Wiggins to off-set incoming salary.

-If its Aldridge for #2 and Wiggins then that's a no-brainer for the Spurs. Rumor is that GSW wants Saddiq Bey though, so there probably wouldn't be a deal unless the Spurs include 11. I think I would still do Aldridge +11 for Wiggins +2 tbh.

-I've warmed up to Wiseman. I think his floor is better a De'Andre Jordan, his ceiling is probably a bigger, better free-throw shooting prime Dwight-- that's easily a 20 ppg, 10 rpg, 2.5 -3 bpg type of player. IMO.

cd021
11-06-2020, 12:27 AM

Fair point but Gay was already starting to become a more efficient player in Sac. Pop did put him in better situations to succeed though. Still, even if Wiggins improves, that contract is the biggest issue. I think he'll still be a valuable expiring contract, if the Spurs are in the asset acquisition game in 2 seasons. They can ship him out for other team's bad salary and get additional picks in the process.

PhantomDashCam
11-06-2020, 12:32 AM
It's a bit of an unexpected situation, because moreso than the top of the draft being actually weak, there's just not a lot of info on the prospects, so the top picks carry a lot more "negative" perceived value than in any other regular year due to increased bust chances.

This is the interesting thing for me. Also how has a prospect utilised this time to improve physically, mentally and their overall prospects as an NBA player going forward. With the right pick, you’re getting close to a 2nd year rookie. When the last time something comparable happened, we saw how advanced Kawhi was in some of his perceived weaknesses coming out of the lockout.

PhantomDashCam
11-06-2020, 12:32 AM
Dupe

cd021
11-06-2020, 12:47 AM
I think it is under 18K and LMA makes 24K so he would not fit.

Also, Aldridge has a 15% trade kicker, which would push his salary up to $27.7 million though he could waive that. Wiggins still makes more so they could be swapped without adding additional players to the deal.

Wiggins is on a bad deal but trading Aldridge for him essentially off-sets next season, it would be an outright negative deal during the 21-22 season and then actually might become a valuable during the 3rd and final year of his contract as a massive expiring contract.

hypothetically, If there is a version of a deal between the Spurs and Warriors where the Spurs acquire the 2nd pick and keep the 11th-- with the only caveat being having to take on Wiggins, you do that deal every single time.

Agreed. Spurs would have to completely bottom out to have a shot at the number #1 or #2 pick, eating Wiggins deal seems like a decent trade off if they think Wiggins is the real deal. If they hit on Wiseman or whomever they'd select then it's worth it.

objective
11-06-2020, 12:57 AM
-I think the issue is that GSW taking on Aldridge adds $27.7 million to their expensive roster, plus they're in the repeater tax. They almost have to move Wiggins to off-set incoming salary.

-If its Aldridge for #2 and Wiggins then that's a no-brainer for the Spurs. Rumor is that GSW wants Saddiq Bey though, so there probably wouldn't be a deal unless the Spurs include 11. I think I would still do Aldridge +11 for Wiggins +2 tbh.

-I've warmed up to Wiseman. I think his floor is better a De'Andre Jordan, his ceiling is probably a bigger, better free-throw shooting prime Dwight-- that's easily a 20 ppg, 10 rpg, 2.5 -3 bpg type of player. IMO.

I'm fine if it's Wiggins + 2 for Aldridge, or Aldridge +41 and Milutinov's rights. I don't hate Wiggins the player.

Just don't want to give up 11 when I'm not sure that whoever goes #2 is better than whoever goes #7 or #8. And could therefore slide to 11.

But if GS also wants to absorb Gay into their Traded Player Exception I'd give him over for free, or for a top 55 protected 2nd or whatever to make the trade work. That's a free throw in for them.

TD 21
11-06-2020, 12:58 AM
Keep in mind: As much as Wiggins is an albatross, they actually need him until they can find a viable replacement on the wing.

It'd be similar for the Spurs. If they lose Aldridge and DeRozan, they need someone to inherit their role. He can't credibly do it, but by default he'd serve as the go-to scorer for a team trying to avoid bottoming out. In that sense, he'd represent some value to them and the Warriors would know this.

Anyway, it's not happening, but hypothetically speaking that's the only variation that could make sense.

:lmao

Collins21
11-06-2020, 01:31 AM
I'm not one to do the whole sources thing but just reading some tea leaves I think we're reading this all wrong. I think we wouldn't even get Wiggins. I think the person they want to move silently is Draymond. Let's just say he hasn't been easy to deal with an is contract is seen as a albatross. Once again I have no sources but It wouldn't surprise me that if a deal is to be done it's for Draymond and not Wiggins.

rankingtear
11-06-2020, 01:40 AM
I'm not one to do the whole sources thing but just reading some tea leaves I think we're reading this all wrong. I think we wouldn't even get Wiggins. I think the person they want to move silently is Draymond. Let's just say he hasn't been easy to deal with an is contract is seen as a albatross. Once again I have no sources but It wouldn't surprise me that if a deal is to be done it's for Draymond and not Wiggins.

Basketball wise this is unlikely, they ran most of their sets off of Draymond.

SpurPadre
11-06-2020, 01:53 AM
Basketball wise this is unlikely, they ran most of their sets off of Draymond.

And a headcase shit talker like Draymond is as anti-Spur as you can get. No way that happens.

szkorhetz
11-06-2020, 02:15 AM
And a headcase shit talker like Draymond is as anti-Spur as you can get. No way that happens.
Like DDR?

gambit1990
11-06-2020, 02:18 AM
https://i.imgur.com/CLo6l05.png

-spurs move up without wiggins. that roster + the #6 and #11 = stacked

-warriors get la

-okc get the #2

-hawks make the playoffs

cd021
11-06-2020, 02:37 AM
I'm fine if it's Wiggins + 2 for Aldridge, or Aldridge +41 and Milutinov's rights. I don't hate Wiggins the player.

Just don't want to give up 11 when I'm not sure that whoever goes #2 is better than whoever goes #7 or #8. And could therefore slide to 11.

But if GS also wants to absorb Gay into their Traded Player Exception I'd give him over for free, or for a top 55 protected 2nd or whatever to make the trade work. That's a free throw in for them.

- Milutinov has no trade value and it's unlikely that he'd ever come over.

-41 is ok value but not enough to move the needle. Also, it's hard for GSW to justify giving up the #2 to pick just to save on Wiggins and picking up Aldridge and the 41st pick. I don't think they'd even consider that deal.

-If the Spurs are being agressive enough to even look at moving into the top 3, that at least suggests that they are very high on a player. They usually don't miss on picks and if they hit on #2 then that's likely a future star player.

I think there are players available at 11 that can be good starters but none that project as a star. If the Spurs think there's a star and there's a shot at getting him, they should absolutely include 11.

- Gay definitely seems to have value around the league, but the Spurs reportedly overvalued him-- likely meaning they wanted a first for him. He could be added to the deal, if necessary to try and close it out:

Aldridge, Gay and 11 for Wiggins, Looney and #2.

That would also have the benefit of offsetting Wiggins salary for this upcoming season as well as clear out minutes for Samanic.

Chillen
11-06-2020, 03:10 AM
Warriors should do it and Spurs do it for Wiseman (assuming Minny doesn't trade #1 pick because he said he won't play for Minny).

Aldridge is a perfect fit for Warriors offense. Warriors are in win now mode not rebuilding.

tbdog
11-06-2020, 06:12 AM
How good do you guys think Wiseman would be to lose an allstar big now?

cd021
11-06-2020, 06:38 AM

Aldridge isn't an all-star anymore, he's still good though. Wiseman should be pretty good out of the gate but getting Wiseman is more about the next decade. He has a very high ceiling and a solid floor tbh.

r0drig0lac
11-06-2020, 07:10 AM
Here’s a crazy idea:

lol

rankingtear
11-06-2020, 07:13 AM

He played 22 min in college against a good team. He's a mystery man with freakish tools. I think that's his appeal among fans, we never really saw his flaws.

Dejounte
11-06-2020, 07:32 AM
He played 22 min in college against a good team. He's a mystery man with freakish tools. I think that's his appeal among fans, we never really saw his flaws.

He has bad hands. Doesn't catch passes as well as he should.

exstatic
11-06-2020, 07:49 AM
The worst contract right now is the one you have to attach an asset to move so that's Wiggins.

Houston had to attach 2 first rounders and two pick swaps to CP3s contract to move it last year. OKCs stated intent was to move that contract, and they were unable to do so.

rankingtear
11-06-2020, 08:13 AM
Houston had to attach 2 first rounders and two pick swaps to CP3s contract to move it last year. OKCs stated intent was to move that contract, and they were unable to do so.

Not after he carried OKC to the playoffs. Paul most likely would be dealt this offseason, we would see if your valuation of him holds true.

exstatic
11-06-2020, 08:15 AM

Golden State will let that TPE expire. They have zero interest in taking on new salary. They’re already at $148M plus #2 pick at $9M plus a huge tax bill for next year, and $158 plus the second year of #2 plus another huge tax bill for the following year.

talkspurs
11-06-2020, 08:42 AM
https://i.imgur.com/CLo6l05.png

-spurs move up without wiggins. that roster + the #6 and #11 = stacked

-warriors get la

-okc get the #2

-hawks make the playoffs

Bad trade for the Spurs. We take on bad contracts and dont really improve. this may get us in the PO but after 2 years we would be at the bottom with older players

Rusty
11-06-2020, 10:49 AM
Looks like the Heat are going for Aldridge

r0drig0lac
11-06-2020, 11:07 AM
Looks like the Heat are going for Aldridge

link?

Rusty
11-06-2020, 11:12 AM
https://twitter.com/ViceCityAlerts/status/1324490719403274240?s=20

lmbebo
11-06-2020, 11:12 AM
https://heatnation.com/rumors/report-lamarcus-aldridge-might-be-a-trade-target-for-the-miami-heat/

Chinook
11-06-2020, 11:16 AM
People are overlooking the cap implications of all these trade. It's nearly impossible for them to do a LMA for Wiggins and 2 trade and stay under the tax. It would add like $13 Million to their pay roll. They'd have to hope someone is willing to take DMDR and give back mostly cap space or that GS would want Gay or Murray. And maybe Murray and LMA for Wiggins and 2 is appealing to them. But unlike most years for the Spurs, draft picks aren't basically free. An underrated reason why GS might be willing to trade down is the untold amount of cash it'd save them.

poopbox
11-06-2020, 11:28 AM
Don't think it will happen but it is a trade where everybody wins...

Spurs get off of a player who is just not a fit for how they want to play basketball and get to draft Wiseman.

Warriors still get a lottery pick and get a player in Aldridge that does fit in to how they want to play basketball...

Floyd Pacquiao
11-06-2020, 11:31 AM
Aldridge on the warriors would be deadly with his 3 point shooting and rim protection

daslicer
11-06-2020, 11:45 AM
Aldridge on the warriors would be deadly with his 3 point shooting and rim protection

Aldridge still has a good 2-3 years left of playing at a high level. Warriors are in a win now mode so I feel he would be a great fit for them.

mo7888
11-06-2020, 11:50 AM
People are overlooking the cap implications of all these trade. It's nearly impossible for them to do a LMA for Wiggins and 2 trade and stay under the tax. It would add like $13 Million to their pay roll. They'd have to hope someone is willing to take DMDR and give back mostly cap space or that GS would want Gay or Murray. And maybe Murray and LMA for Wiggins and 2 is appealing to them. But unlike most years for the Spurs, draft picks aren't basically free. An underrated reason why GS might be willing to trade down is the untold amount of cash it'd save them.

I think adding Murray to the deal would be appealing to them an allow us to keep 11. We might have to take back a smaller piece to help them with their cap but I think it would be appealing.

cd021
11-06-2020, 12:08 PM
I think adding Murray to the deal would be appealing to them an allow us to keep 11. We might have to take back a smaller piece to help them with their cap but I think it would be appealing.

I think that might work, something like Murray and Aldridge for Wiggins Looney and #2

It would depend on whether GSW values Murray more than 11 but the Spurs should do it if the opportunity presented itself.

buttsR4rebounding
11-06-2020, 12:08 PM

I was reading a bunch on some TWolves forums and read a dozen or more articles on possible trades for No. 1 and there's talk about Murray being a great fit next to Russell and who is locked in to a cap-friendly contract (if he is starter level talent which I think he is, just not as a point guard), but there's no way the Spurs would give him up. I personally think that Murray can morph more into a SG and secondary playmaker and be a solid piece, but if he could be packaged as part of deal with Minny to get 1 w/o the drag of a Wiggins salary I would be all for it.

gambit1990
11-06-2020, 12:14 PM
Bad trade for the Spurs. We take on bad contracts and dont really improve. this may get us in the PO but after 2 years we would be at the bottom with older players
uhh...
-spurs could use veteran leadership (cp3)
-starting caliber center (adams)
-dort is a future DPOY

and the spurs would add a #6 pick.

it would be a steal for the spurs and they would be no worse then the #4 seed next year.

Dhbsr555
11-06-2020, 12:21 PM
So we trade derozen Aldridge and Luka to take on a 36 year old Chris Paul .. fuck that. That’s dumb .

barakz21
11-06-2020, 12:26 PM
Fuck that. I’d rather they trade for another lottery pick that isn’t 2nd while still keeping the 11th.

SpurPadre
11-06-2020, 12:33 PM
Like DDR?

DDR a shit talker? Since when?

Prime BEEF
11-06-2020, 12:41 PM
Fuck that. I’d rather they trade for another lottery pick that isn’t 2nd while still keeping the 11th.
DDR/Murray/#41 to bulls for Lavine/Young/#4

would then draft Halliburton at #4. Halliburton and LaVine become backcourt of the future. Can use #11 on a wing defender. Still have the ability to trade LMA/Gay for another piece if the FO wants to.

Dhbsr555
11-06-2020, 12:43 PM
I’d like to ship Murray and draft a pg

gambit1990
11-06-2020, 12:44 PM
So we trade derozen Aldridge and Luka to take on a 36 year old Chris Paul .. fuck that. That’s dumb .
keep the #11 pick, gain the #6 pick. and dort is a future DPOY, like i already said.

and cp3 contract expires next year. way better than wiggins' contract.

Dhbsr555
11-06-2020, 12:49 PM
I really don’t think anyone but you thinks this is a good move. If we do that I’d rather do Aldridge and Murray and I’m not down for giving up on Luka yet.

daslicer
11-06-2020, 12:55 PM

Wiseman will not fall outside of the top 3. The Hornets desperately want him and are trying to to swap their 3 pick with the Wolves number 1 pick. If he's available at 3 the Hornets will grab him.

R. DeMurre
11-06-2020, 12:59 PM
The Aldridge to Miami rumors are interesting because they actually make sense for Miami. I think Robinson and Herro became a little overhyped during the playoff run, so it's not hard to picture Miami unloading one for a major upgrade of Aldridge over Jae Crowder at PF. Miami's probably hoping that the seeming inevitability of a guy named Duncan Robinson winding up on the Spurs helps them here. Aldridge + filler (Metu) for Robinson, Olynyk, Iguodala, & #20 pick actually works.

Dejounte
11-06-2020, 01:08 PM

This is the same fool who thinks Dwight Howard will turn the Spurs around. Gambit seems infatuated with washed up players

r0drig0lac
11-06-2020, 01:23 PM
The Aldridge to Miami rumors are interesting because they actually make sense for Miami. I think Robinson and Herro became a little overhyped during the playoff run, so it's not hard to picture Miami unloading one for a major upgrade of Aldridge over Jae Crowder at PF. Miami's probably hoping that the seeming inevitability of a guy named Duncan Robinson winding up on the Spurs helps them here. Aldridge + filler (Metu) for Robinson, Olynyk, Iguodala, & #20 pick actually works.
well, I had to endure the worst player in the league as a starter for two seasons, having one of the 5 best shooters in the league (Steph, Klay, Seth, Bertans, Robinson) instead would be like a Christmas miracle.

R. DeMurre
11-06-2020, 01:46 PM
well, I had to endure the worst player in the league as a starter for two seasons, having one of the 5 best shooters in the league (Steph, Klay, Seth, Bertans, Robinson) instead would be like a Christmas miracle.

The Spurs obviously find bargain shooters appealing regardless of defense, so replacing Belinelli & Forbes with Robinson wouldn't be out of character for them. I view Olynyk as a place holder off the bench, a small net positive player who doesn't hurt the team. The #20 pick lets them take a chance... Imagine if they could get Jalen Smith and Aleksej Pokusevski. Two major Spurstalk camps could be happy together! :lol

paperboy77
11-06-2020, 01:50 PM
It makes sense from a win now perspective but Aldridge value just isn’t that high

Yeah but LA can still be a beast 3rd- option. Especially on a Warriors team returning Klay AND Curry. Warriors plus LA and crew will be a very tough out next season. There's no way the Lakers woulda been able to shut down the splash brothers in the playoffs. How quickly we forget! 2020 season was a huge fluke.

barakz21
11-06-2020, 02:01 PM

I think they can still get better value for Aldridge, and while not my favorite, this is actually one of the better trade ideas I’ve seen that I can get on board with. We get a young player, AND another first rounder. Plus, imagine if Robinson winds up finishing his career with the Spurs and ends up retiring getting his jersey retired. They’d have to put it right between DRob and TD’s, with his full name just for shits and giggles.

Thomas82
11-06-2020, 02:09 PM
Wiseman will not fall outside of the top 3. The Hornets desperately want him and are trying to to swap their 3 pick with the Wolves number 1 pick. If he's available at 3 the Hornets will grab him.

It would be a disaster for Wiseman if he went to the Hornets, IMO.

exstatic
11-06-2020, 02:13 PM

I think they’d rather move him, but no one wants Draymond. Just seeing what a fucking problem he was for Kerr when they were WINNING TITLES leads one to believe he’d be a locker room cancer.

daslicer
11-06-2020, 02:14 PM
It would be a disaster for Wiseman if he went to the Hornets, IMO.

If the Spurs can't get him I would like to actually see him in Charlotte. I'm biased since I live in Charlotte and the Hornets are my home team but I like to see them actually for once have a chance at a legit star. They haven't had a legit star since Baron Davis way back in the early '00s.

exstatic
11-06-2020, 02:16 PM

Wiggins will make more than LMA next year. His extension kicks in, and he’ll be about $31M.

exstatic
11-06-2020, 02:18 PM

Robinson is probably worse than Forbes on D. They were just able to hide him better, with Bam playing behind him.

look_at_g_shred
11-06-2020, 02:38 PM
With the reported workouts for the spurs, it seems that they feel they have a decent shot at moving up in some way. Whether its 2 or 6.

phxspurfan
11-06-2020, 02:54 PM
Wise man or bust

look_at_g_shred
11-06-2020, 02:58 PM
When they report that the spurs have worked out Wiseman..someone has to post the itshappening.gif

Dhbsr555
11-06-2020, 02:59 PM
I’d pick big 0 and deni over wiseman tbh. Wiseman is athletic but has no shot

pad300
11-06-2020, 03:14 PM
Wiggins will make more than LMA next year. His extension kicks in, and he’ll be about $31M.

I believe he is talking from the SAS perspective; as you note, Wiggins will make more than LMA next year, #2 adds ~9 million on top of that...

talkspurs
11-06-2020, 03:37 PM
I believe he is talking from the SAS perspective; as you note, Wiggins will make more than LMA next year, #2 adds ~9 million on top of that...

I believe you are correct. there are other things the Spurs can do to stay below. Not resign Lyles, not resign Jacob or recall his QO. If DDr opts out that also gives us lots of room. I still think we had some room before the cap this year so we would have that room also.

R. DeMurre
11-06-2020, 03:42 PM
I think they can still get better value for Aldridge, and while not my favorite, this is actually one of the better trade ideas I’ve seen that I can get on board with. We get a young player, AND another first rounder. Plus, imagine if Robinson winds up finishing his career with the Spurs and ends up retiring getting his jersey retired. They’d have to put it right between DRob and TD’s, with his full name just for shits and giggles.

Agreed... it's a tough call compared to #2 + Wiggins, but that Wiggins contract tends to scare me off and I don't know if Wiseman, Deni, Edwards, or anyone else at the top of this draft is good enough to counterbalance that-- I'll leave that to the scouting dept of the Spurs to decide on. But my guess here is that a couple of shots at the middle of the draft is somewhere that the Spurs can harvest success, and at a lower cost than a #2.

gambit1990
11-06-2020, 03:46 PM
please don't keep demar :rolleyes

EasyMoney
11-06-2020, 03:55 PM
Am I the only one who wouldn't mind andrew wiggins? This coming season is shortened. Who cares. Deal with his contract for 1 season and in his contract year he shows his potential so he can get paid again, haha.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-06-2020, 04:11 PM
No thanks on Wiggins, don’t need another DeRozan type player on the team

Kevin
11-06-2020, 05:10 PM
The Hornets would be the perfect third team if the Spurs don't want Wiggins long term. Nicolas Batum's contact his expires this season and his salary matches LMA's.

Spurs Get: 2nd pick and Batum's expiring contract.
Hornets Get: Wiggins.
Warrior Get: LMA and 32nd pick from Hornets.

Spurs get the 2nd pick without giving up the 11. Hornets get Wiggins for almost nothing. Warriors get LMA and basically recoup the 2nd rounder that they traded away to Dallas.

Dhbsr555
11-06-2020, 05:16 PM
I like that trade

lmbebo
11-06-2020, 05:30 PM
The Hornets would be the perfect third team if the Spurs don't want Wiggins long term. Nicolas Batum's contact his expires this season and his salary matches LMA's.

Spurs get the 2nd pick without giving up the 11. Hornets get Wiggins for almost nothing. Warriors get LMA and basically recoup the 2nd rounder that they traded away to Dallas.

Whats charlotte get for helping us out?

Dhbsr555
11-06-2020, 05:34 PM
If there’s anyway possible we can keep 11 while trading dd or Aldridge for a top 5 pick . That would be huge

r0drig0lac
11-06-2020, 05:57 PM

why do Hornets want Wiggins?

rankingtear
11-06-2020, 06:06 PM
If there’s anyway possible we can keep 11 while trading dd or Aldridge for a top 5 pick . That would be huge

No. I doubt Derozan can even be traded on draft night.

talkspurs
11-06-2020, 06:08 PM
No. I doubt Derozan can even be traded on draft night.

We could trade LMA ang get a top pick if the other team agrees. I would also think DDR would have to opt in or opt out by draft. If he opts in He can be traded as well.

Larry O
11-06-2020, 06:13 PM
I don't know if I am late to the party today on this rumor, but the buzz I'm hearing today from SA sportstalk is that the idea is for GS to send their #2 pick to SA, & Draymond Green, & we send them LMA & our number 11 pick. And SA would pick Wiseman. Now... Draymond Green??? Hmmmm…. as I think of this, my first thought is NOOOO!!! Well, for one, I wonder how he would react to Pop's coaching? But if this team is looking for a good defender, playmaker, tough competitor and a tough leader in the locker room & a dog on the floor, well... Draymond is your man. But this is the latest buzz that's going on with the Spurs right now. Now, I'm torn on this, but will it happen? Well, I have my popcorn! :)

daslicer
11-06-2020, 06:21 PM
I don't know if I am late to the party today on this rumor, but the buzz I'm hearing today from SA sportstalk is that the idea is for GS to send their #2 pick to SA, & Draymond Green, & we send them LMA & our number 11 pick. And SA would pick Wiseman. Now... Draymond Green??? Hmmmm…. as I think of this, my first thought is NOOOO!!! Well, for one, I wonder how he would react to Pop's coaching? But if this team is looking for a good defender, playmaker, tough competitor and a tough leader in the locker room & a dog on the floor, well... Draymond is your man. But this is the latest buzz that's going on with the Spurs right now. Now, I'm torn on this, but will it happen? Well, I have my popcorn! :)

I can't stand Draymond but I would be able to suck up for a few years while our young guys develop. Once they are developed we can just dump his ass since his contract will expire at the same time. From a comedic side seeing him and Pop yell at each other would be very entertaining.

r0drig0lac
11-06-2020, 06:28 PM

Pop loves Draymond Green

rankingtear
11-06-2020, 06:31 PM

Too good to be true. I guess Zach left the rumor to interpretation on who is the outgoing player. Spurs are trying to find a playmaking big man for a while since Duncan left.

Kevin
11-06-2020, 07:17 PM
The Hornets are getting a player who’s averaged almost 20 points a game his entire career and who’s still only 26. That’s a pretty good return for a washed up Batum and the 32nd pick. Besides it’s not like Charolette will ever be some huge free agent destination even if Wiggins is over paid.

ginobilized
11-06-2020, 07:32 PM
I hate to be the grim reaper here, but it just occurred to me that Brian Wright is our GM.

After letting that sink in, it is hard to believe that something big and/or great will occur.

However, false hope is still hope.

r0drig0lac
11-06-2020, 07:35 PM
The Hornets are getting a player who’s averaged almost 20 points a game his entire career and who’s still only 26. That’s a pretty good return for a washed up Batum and the 32nd pick. Besides it’s not like Charolette will ever be some huge free agent destination even if Wiggins is over paid.

in fact it is not, and if all franchises have a little competence, the Warriors will die with this contract in your hands, as it should be, unless they pay a high price (# 2 + MIN21 for example)

Dejounte
11-06-2020, 07:55 PM
Draymond and Keldon is a whole lot of nasty. I'm for this trade all the way. Need toughness on this team. No more pussies.

It's not like Draymond is old. He's only 30.

White/ Murray
Keldon/ Lonnie/ Mills
Deni or Okoro/ Mason Jones
Draymond/ Luka/ Lyles
Poetl/ Eubanks

Fuck, boy. Championship dynasty right there

Dhbsr555
11-06-2020, 07:59 PM
No way in hell gs trades number two for Aldridge .. it’s a pipe dream .

Shakril
11-06-2020, 09:50 PM

Exactly. They can have Wiseman, a potential All-Star Caliber Player. His skillset is already at a stage, that can help them right away.

EasyMoney
11-06-2020, 09:58 PM
Golden state isn't trading Draymond. No way in hell.

Dhbsr555
11-06-2020, 10:30 PM
I’d rather trade up for deni or maybe trade down and get a piece for Aldridge

SpursDynasty85
11-06-2020, 11:23 PM
This would have to be for Wiseman eh?

talkspurs
11-07-2020, 12:22 AM
Am I the only one who wouldn't mind andrew wiggins? This coming season is shortened. Who cares. Deal with his contract for 1 season and in his contract year he shows his potential so he can get paid again, haha.

Nah Im with you but the list is not long. That being said I would not do LMA for him I would want #2. also would not send them LMA and 11.

buttsR4rebounding
11-07-2020, 12:49 AM
Exactly. They can have Wiseman, a potential All-Star Caliber Player. His skillset is already at a stage, that can help them right away.

First, they don’t want someone who can help them they want someone who can help them get by the Lakers in the next 2 to 3 seasons. Wiseman is not likely going to do that. 2nd, if they just keep him it will cost them around 40 million per year with the luxury tax.

Chillen
11-07-2020, 04:11 AM
LMA and Spurs #11th pick for #2 pick and Wiggins isn't a bad deal for Warriors. If they are in win now mode they should take it. I would guess Spurs would have to add Patty Mills. Warriors would be crazy good this upcoming season.

Down Under
11-07-2020, 05:41 AM
LMA and Spurs #11th pick for #2 pick and Wiggins isn't a bad deal for Warriors. If they are in win now mode they should take it. I would guess Spurs would have to add Patty Mills. Warriors would be crazy good this upcoming season.
It's a great deal for the Warriors. If they can get off one of the 5 worst contracts in the NBA & add a stretch 5 in exchange for moving down just 9 places in a bad draft that's unreal. The Spurs would be insane to do that.

cd021
11-07-2020, 05:47 AM

It sounds more like the framework rather than the trade itself. A trade between the two teams would probably be something like:

Aldridge, Gay and #11 for Wiggins, Looney and #2

exstatic
11-07-2020, 08:52 AM

No, it’s not. He’s played a grand total of 3 college games. He’s not ready, he’s two years away, or maybe 3.

The Warriors are also DROWNING, financially. Not all organizational decisions are made based on on the court issues. Their payroll, without #2, is $148M next season, and $158 the year after that. They are also in 3.5 territory, tax wise, meaning tha for every $1 over the tax they are, they pay $3.50 in luxury tax. I don think they’ve finalized the numbers for next year, but their bill will be significant, moreso the following season.

#2 presents its own problem to them. The salary for that spot is $9M for year one. Now, slap the tax on that for GS, and it becomes 9+(3.5X9)M, or, $40M for year one alone. Can you see why they don’t mind offloading #2?

FvckMavs
11-07-2020, 09:14 AM
No, it’s not. He’s played a grand total of 3 college games. He’s not ready, he’s two years away, or maybe 3.

The Warriors are also DROWNING, financially. Not all organizational decisions are made based on on the court issues. Their payroll, without #2, is $148M next season, and $158 the year after that. They are also in 3.5 territory, tax wise, meaning tha for every $1 over the tax they are, they pay $3.50 in luxury tax. I don think they’ve finalized the numbers for next year, but their bill will be significant, moreso the following season.

#2 presents its own problem to them. The salary for that spot is $9M for year one. Now, slap the tax on that for GS, and it becomes 9+(3.5X9)M, or, $40M for year one alone. Can you see why they don’t mind offloading #2?

Exactly. And with Wiggins' salary being 30m, 31m and 33m in the next three years, don't think Spurs would give up Aldridge AND #11 for Wiggins +#2.

Trueblood
11-07-2020, 09:37 AM
Keep in mind: As much as Wiggins is an albatross, they actually need him until they can find a viable replacement on the wing.

It'd be similar for the Spurs. If they lose Aldridge and DeRozan, they need someone to inherit their role. He can't credibly do it, but by default he'd serve as the go-to scorer for a team trying to avoid bottoming out. In that sense, he'd represent some value to them and the Warriors would know this.

Anyway, it's not happening, but hypothetically speaking that's the only variation that could make sense.

:lmao

You have a good point, which is why I think the deal doesn't happen without 11. They are banking on an upgrade at the front court AND getting either Vassel or Bey to fill the whole on the wing with a 3 and D prospect. Not ideal to put a rookie in the SL, but when you have Curry, Thompson, Green and LA there all you need is a young kid with the prototypical wing body who can play defense. It's actually pretty smart on their part. I think to make it all work you go:

To GS - LA & 11

To SA - Wiggins, 2, & Minny's 21 1st rounder

This really is win win for everyone.

GS gets a win now player who will immediately bolster their lineup for at least a year or two to compete with LA (the Clippers and rockets will both be looking for bigs this year to hold down AD so the importance of GS having one is more important than ever). They also get a pick that allows them to fill a need at the wing with a defensive rookie. And they can fill out the roster with ring chasing vets per usual.

The spurs should not be trying to win this year. The west is an arms race, the streak is broken, and we need to focus on rebuild. Enter Wiggins, a perennial under achiever on an albatross contact. Put him along the youngsters and let pop and chip work their magic. He's had steady improvement recently so the evidence points to continued improvement with good coaching. Best case he finally reaches his #1 overall potential; worst case he flounders a bit and we offload his contract at the and of the year. His contact will have one less year on it which will make him more appealing to other teams and it won't hurt us long term. We can trade DDR with this also to free up guard minutes for the young guys and get an asset or two for him while we're at it since Wiggins can step into the 3 spot. Pick up a few vets to fill in the frontcourt. Stick number 2 in Austin (not ideal, but let's be honest that's what pop will do anyway) and we end up with two 1st rounder next year with a better draft that we can use on two guys or to move up again.

Again, everyone wins here. But knowing how ridiculously stupid Minny is they'll probably end up sending KAT to GS to get their first rounder back 😂

DPG21920
11-07-2020, 11:08 AM
^ that’s more of what I can see

talkspurs
11-07-2020, 12:03 PM
You have a good point, which is why I think the deal doesn't happen without 11. They are banking on an upgrade at the front court AND getting either Vassel or Bey to fill the whole on the wing with a 3 and D prospect. Not ideal to put a rookie in the SL, but when you have Curry, Thompson, Green and LA there all you need is a young kid with the prototypical wing body who can play defense. It's actually pretty smart on their part. I think to make it all work you go:

To GS - LA & 11

GS gets a win now player who will immediately bolster their lineup for at least a year or two to compete with LA (the Clippers and rockets will both be looking for bigs this year to hold down AD so the importance of GS having one is more important than ever). They also get a pick that allows them to fill a need at the wing with a defensive rookie. And they can fill out the roster with ring chasing vets per usual.

The spurs should not be trying to win this year. The west is an arms race, the streak is broken, and we need to focus on rebuild. Enter Wiggins, a perennial under achiever on an albatross contact. Put him along the youngsters and let pop and chip work their magic. He's had steady improvement recently so the evidence points to continued improvement with good coaching. Best case he finally reaches his #1 overall potential; worst case he flounders a bit and we offload his contract at the and of the year. His contact will have one less year on it which will make him more appealing to other teams and it won't hurt us long term. We can trade DDR with this also to free up guard minutes for the young guys and get an asset or two for him while we're at it since Wiggins can step into the 3 spot. Pick up a few vets to fill in the frontcourt. Stick number 2 in Austin (not ideal, but let's be honest that's what pop will do anyway) and we end up with two 1st rounder next year with a better draft that we can use on two guys or to move up again.

Again, everyone wins here. But knowing how ridiculously stupid Minny is they'll probably end up sending KAT to GS to get their first rounder back 

I would be ok with this. Hopefully we could buy another pick in the first round. Doubt the Spurs would do this but I se good players in this draft.

cd021
11-07-2020, 01:13 PM
Exactly. And with Wiggins' salary being 30m, 31m and 33m in the next three years, don't think Spurs would give up Aldridge AND #11 for Wiggins +#2.

I don't think Golden State would give up the number 2 pick without the Spurs taking on Wiggins getting the number 11 pick back in return.

I think the Spurs should still absolutely make that move, if they get an opportunity at the #2 pick they should take it.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-07-2020, 01:13 PM
I think it's clear that the Spurs need to focus on the future. While I think LMA is our best player for the first 3 1/2 quarters of games, he's not the long-term future of this franchise. He'd make a team like the GSW pretty unstoppable if he's ok not getting touches. Even though he likes that ball, on a championship team like the Warriors he'd be scary good, and I can't see him sulking if the Warriors are on top of the West and he's just getting 8-10 shots a night. IMO the Warriors would love to swap a Wiggins for an Aldridge, with #2 and #21 exchanged for #11 to sweeten the pot. They could easily add two more titles with such an upgrade. Who wouldn't do that deal if you're GS? The Warriors walk away from that deal feeling, well, golden.

Wiseman would be a bit of a project so Spurs fans would have to be patient. He's a year or two behind DeAndre Ayton in Phoenix, and we're just now starting to see Ayton play well, two years in. I'd agree that you draft Wiseman knowing you won't start reaping the benefits of that pick until year 3.

But if any team could develop a big man, it's San Antonio. Imagine Tim and possibly even David working with him! An athletically gifted 5 with the right skills and attitude in that environment could be phenomenal once he matures.

alpha_HaZE
11-07-2020, 01:33 PM

Me neither, he is only 25 and still has lots of upside if he commits himself. But, even if he never reaches his ceiling, he is a very capable defender and shoots the three at a decent rate, so in that sense he is a better fit than DeMar.

exstatic
11-07-2020, 01:54 PM
Me neither, he is only 25 and still has lots of upside if he commits himself. But, even if he never reaches his ceiling, he is a very capable defender and shoots the three at a decent rate, so in that sense he is a better fit than DeMar.

I don’t believe there’s a ton of upside left, but he wouldn’t be the first player who’s game the Spurs cleaned up and made more efficient. That process may catch some other team’s eye, and net an actual asset down the road.

stephen jackson
11-07-2020, 02:09 PM
I think our luka sucks...:depressed

talkspurs
11-07-2020, 03:22 PM
Although slight I think the league starting so quickly after the draft helps the spurs pursuit of the pick. GS pick and Wigins will not have much time to practice with the team. Also during the season I am hearing more b2b so less time to practice during the year. While LMA also would be under this reduced timeframe he has played in the league for awhile and should pick up the playbook better.

cd021
11-07-2020, 03:39 PM

He turns 26 early next year, at some point, players are kind of what they are. He's a better defender and shooter than DeMar but DeMar is a superior play maker and just a better offensive player in general.

I don’t believe there’s a ton of upside left, but he wouldn’t be the first player who’s game the Spurs cleaned up and made more efficient. That process may catch some other team’s eye, and net an actual asset down the road.

The Spurs can clean up some of the issues that plagues his game but he probably won't be an asset, in regards to his play. I do think his contract could be pretty valuable during the final year though. Not many $33 million dollar expiring deals are actually are available via trade. The Spurs could offer him up to teams looking to unload a lot of salary in exchange for multiple picks.

Ocotillo
11-07-2020, 04:40 PM
I think it's clear that the Spurs need to focus on the future. While I think LMA is our best player for the first 3 1/2 quarters of games, he's not the long-term future of this franchise. He'd make a team like the GSW pretty unstoppable if he's ok not getting touches. Even though he likes that ball, on a championship team like the Warriors he'd be scary good, and I can't see him sulking if the Warriors are on top of the West and he's just getting 8-10 shots a night. IMO the Warriors would love to swap a Wiggins for an Aldridge, with #2 and #21 exchanged for #11 to sweeten the pot. They could easily add two more titles with such an upgrade. Who wouldn't do that deal if you're GS? The Warriors walk away from that deal feeling, well, golden.

Wiseman would be a bit of a project so Spurs fans would have to be patient. He's a year or two behind DeAndre Ayton in Phoenix, and we're just now starting to see Ayton play well, two years in. I'd agree that you draft Wiseman knowing you won't start reaping the benefits of that pick until year 3.

But if any team could develop a big man, it's San Antonio. Imagine Tim and possibly even David working with him! An athletically gifted 5 with the right skills and attitude in that environment could be phenomenal once he matures.

Add to that Wiseman and Luka S would be in theory coming of age about the same time. Roll of the dice but could be very interesting if they develop.

ginobilized
11-07-2020, 04:57 PM
Have the Spurs worked out Wiseman?
If this deal goes through, I don’t think he’s their guy.
But, what a deal this would be, regardless of who the Spurs pick.

Dhbsr555
11-07-2020, 05:01 PM
I say pick deni if we trade up.. he’s the one I want

Thomas82
11-07-2020, 05:10 PM

No, they haven't worked him out, but if he is their target it would probably be best not to because of how teams have screwed them in the past by drafting their guy, largely to keep him away from the Spurs.

buttsR4rebounding
11-07-2020, 05:27 PM
No, they haven't worked him out, but if he is their target it would probably be best not to because of how teams have screwed them in the past by drafting their guy, largely to keep him away from the Spurs.

That may have been true Big Three, but other teams don't give 2 shits about the Spurs now. They just want to make their own team as good as possible.

rankingtear
11-07-2020, 05:46 PM
Multiple sources have told Bleacher Report the name they keep hearing now for the Timberwolves is James Wiseman. "Some within the Golden State Warriors think Wiseman is going No. 1, whether Minnesota keeps the pick or not," one source plugged into the conversation said.

Dverde
11-07-2020, 05:46 PM
I think GSW do #2 and Wiggins for LMA and #11 in a heartbeat. I don’t think the Spurs want to give up #11 for that Wiggins take back. Maybe LMA, Rudy Gay (trade exception) for Wiggins and #2 gets the deal done. I can’t see GSW wanting to include Looney or Green for an old version of LMA.

Thomas82
11-07-2020, 06:15 PM
That may have been true Big Three, but other teams don't give 2 shits about the Spurs now. They just want to make their own team as good as possible.

Good point!!

Thomas82
11-07-2020, 06:25 PM
Multiple sources have told Bleacher Report the name they keep hearing now for the Timberwolves is James Wiseman. "Some within the Golden State Warriors think Wiseman is going No. 1, whether Minnesota keeps the pick or not," one source plugged into the conversation said.

This should be interesting. Besides us, the only other teams I know that have interest in him are the Hornets, Wizards, and Celtics.

exstatic
11-07-2020, 06:25 PM

He worked out for GS, but there’s nothing to say that they couldn’t invite the Spurs to watch, if there is really something brewing. It would count as a GS workout,and not a Spurs one, but they could still get the info they need.

talkspurs
11-07-2020, 06:26 PM
I always wondering how much of the god drafting was RC and how much of it Sam Presti. Presti has made some really good trades since he has gone to OKC and spurs not so much.

exstatic
11-07-2020, 06:35 PM

It’s a bluff, like Boston ran on Philly to get them to pick swap 1 for 3. Boston had no intention of picking Fulz, but they bluffed by leaking that they might. They got #3, a future pick, which I believe is this year’s #14, and they picked Tatum, who they always wanted. Minny has KAT. Using #1, which will cost $9M year one, for a development project who’s development is automatically stunted by playing behind KAT, makes no sense.

Thomas82
11-07-2020, 06:52 PM
It’s a bluff, like Boston ran on Philly to get them to pick swap 1 for 3. Boston had no intention of picking Fulz, but they bluffed by leaking that they might. They got #3, a future pick, which I believe is this year’s #14, and they picked Tatum, who they always wanted. Minny has KAT. Using #1, which will cost $9M year one, for a development project who’s development is automatically stunted by playing behind KAT, makes no sense.

I hope it is a bluff, especially since they could be potentially picking him for another team.

jjktkk
11-07-2020, 06:55 PM
I always wondering how much of the god drafting was RC and how much of it Sam Presti. Presti has made some really good trades since he has gone to OKC and spurs not so much.So you didn't like the Spur's General manager R.C. Buford trading George Hill — a beloved backup point guard coach Gregg Popovich called his favorite player — to Indiana for its 15th overall pick, a 20-year-old sophomore out of San Diego State named Kawhi Leonard?

Dejounte
11-07-2020, 07:00 PM
So you didn't like the Spur's General manager R.C. Buford trading George Hill — a beloved backup point guard coach Gregg Popovich called his favorite player — to Indiana for its 15th overall pick, a 20-year-old sophomore out of San Diego State named Kawhi Leonard?

Unless you were in the war room, there's no concrete proof that it was Presti (or any specific individual) that was responsible for that trade. For all we know, it was a collective decision (it should be. that's how things work in big organizations).

Edit: you said RC Buford. Point still stands lol

jjktkk
11-07-2020, 07:14 PM
Unless you were in the war room, there's no concrete proof that it was Presti (or any specific individual) that was responsible for that trade. For all we know, it was a collective decision (it should be. that's how things work in big organizations).

Edit: you said RC Buford. Point still stands lolYeah, Presti had already left for Seattle, and then OKC long before PATFO swung the trade for Leonard. @talkspurs needs to do a little more research next time.

rankingtear
11-07-2020, 07:23 PM
I always wondering how much of the god drafting was RC and how much of it Sam Presti. Presti has made some really good trades since he has gone to OKC and spurs not so much.

The Harden trade happened. They just made the finals the year before and the difference in contract negotation was reported to be 5 million.

talkspurs
11-07-2020, 07:39 PM
So you didn't like the Spur's General manager R.C. Buford trading George Hill — a beloved backup point guard coach Gregg Popovich called his favorite player — to Indiana for its 15th overall pick, a 20-year-old sophomore out of San Diego State named Kawhi Leonard?

IM not saying the Spurs have not done anything good. I think OKC has done better though. Look at the trade they did last year for CP3. that was a steal by OKC. Look at the Spurs trade to toronto (a player that wanted out) vs Paul George ( a player who wanted out). Kawhi I would argue was the better Player but OKC got more.

Dejounte
11-07-2020, 07:41 PM
IM not saying the Spurs have not done anything good. I think OKC has done better though. Look at the trade they did last year for CP3. that was a steal by OKC. Look at the Spurs trade to toronto (a player that wanted out) vs Paul George ( a player who wanted out). Kawhi I would argue was the better Player but OKC got more.

Two totally different situations...

I don't know why whenever the Kawhi trade is brought up, that they conveniently ignore that he tanked his own value giving us very limited options for trade partners.

AND let's be real, NO ONE expected the Thunder to be in the playoffs this year. Probably not even the Thunder themselves when they traded for CP3. They probably thought he would just be a good vet for the young guys.

talkspurs
11-07-2020, 07:44 PM
Two totally different situations...

I don't know why whenever the Kawhi trade is brought up, that they conveniently ignore that he tanked his own value giving us very limited options for trade partners.

AND let's be real, NO ONE expected the Thunder to be in the playoffs this year. Probably not even the Thunder themselves when they traded for CP3. They probably thought he would just be a good vet for the young guys.

So did george. He said he was going to LAC. That was the only place he was going.

I am not talking about the thunder going to the Playoffs. Yes I mentioned the Paul trade but they got rid of an equal player (just older but CP3 and Westbrook I would say are both equal) but they also got lots of picks.

TD 21
11-07-2020, 07:50 PM
Somehow a thread that was intended to poor cold water on this notion has done the exact opposite and added fuel to the fire. It's as if virtually no one read/listened beyond the title, despite the brevity.

To GS - LA & 11

Again, everyone wins here. But knowing how ridiculously stupid Minny is they'll probably end up sending KAT to GS to get their first rounder back 

So the Warriors are now supposed to give up both of their chances to find a bridge player to their next era to dump an albatross and for a 35 year old, on an expiring contract, coming off of shoulder surgery? Come on, man.

Wiggins hasn't had steady improvement. His shot profile somewhat modernized last season, but he's still an inefficient scorer and poor 3-point shooter/defender/rebounder/play maker.

JuneJive
11-07-2020, 08:01 PM
Somehow a thread that was intended to poor cold water on this notion has done the exact opposite and added fuel to the fire. It's as if virtually no one read/listened beyond the title, despite the brevity.

So the Warriors are now supposed to give up both of their chances to find a bridge player to their next era to dump an albatross and for a 35 year old, on an expiring contract, coming off of shoulder surgery? Come on, man.

Wiggins hasn't had steady improvement. His shot profile somewhat modernized last season, but he's still an inefficient scorer and poor 3-point shooter/defender/rebounder/play maker.

Bolstering their championship aspirations or getting a bridge player?

They really can't have both. Firstly because of the financial implications.

Secondly, if Wiggins is such a lousy player, a negative asset, it would surely cost them something to get rid of him.

What do you suggest they do?

Dump Wiggins with a pick attached but keep the other one ( #2 or Minny '21 ) and go from there with the existing set of players.

As it stands they need to create a bench and get a starting calibre SF type of player. Lot to do.

SpursDynasty85
11-07-2020, 08:24 PM

this makes the most sense. It’s obvious Warriors or the Spurs do not want a guard.

Dhbsr555
11-07-2020, 08:28 PM
Would y’all offer keldon for Wiggins plus #2 plus mint pick next year ... I say no but it’s been talked about

Trueblood
11-07-2020, 08:43 PM
To each their own man, you're more than entitled to your opinion my friend.

I respectfully disagree. First off they are already looking to trade the #2 pick. If they really wanted a bridging player this is the pick to find it. If Minnesota does better this year and they come back to their previous form they run the risk of two picks that are both worse than what they have now. Perhaps they are comfortable thinking they can use them both to move up next year. But I just don't buy it. I think they aren't thinking 5 years from now. They still have Curry, Green and Thompson but at this point I wouldn't see them getting past the Lakers or the Clippers. They might even struggle against the rockets or jazz. Their window is getting close to closing but it hasn't closed yet. They aren't thinking rebuild but retool. Which is where all the smoke is coming from with the trading 2 rumors.

Maybe the spurs throw in 41? What do you think it takes to make the deal work?

rankingtear
11-07-2020, 09:38 PM
Aldridge + White/Murray + #11 for #2 + Wiggins + MIN 2021 1st + TPE.

I think this would get it done. Although if GS think they have a shot at Beal or Giannis at the deadline they may not want to part with MIN 2021 and Wiggins.

Murray/White + #11 for #2 + TPE is cleaner and would still allow them to be players at the deadline.

More in line to the ATL insiders rumored price for the #2 pick

GS has been doing the same as MIN but a lot more open to pick swap and higher end young player than MIN. GS is really pushing for a deal with CHI, CLE, DET, and ATL. CHI just lacks all interest as does CLE. As I’ve mention, the name that has been mention has been Kevin Huerter. For CLE, Collin Sexton and from CHI, Lauri M and L. Kennard from DET.

Dhbsr555
11-07-2020, 09:45 PM
I would add Murray in a trade for sure

Dhbsr555
11-07-2020, 09:46 PM
But wouldn’t add 11th if Murray is involved

Dhbsr555
11-07-2020, 09:47 PM
If gsw doesn’t get rid of Wiggins they have no shot at Giannis there already over the luxury tax

cd021
11-07-2020, 09:49 PM
Would y’all offer keldon for Wiggins plus #2 plus mint pick next year ... I say no but it’s been talked about
Nah. I wouldn't want the Spurs to offer a pick beyond this draft. There's always the chance that that pick could be much higher than 11 and in a better draft. As for Keldon, I think I'd rather have him than the 11th pick in this current draft. Spurs should keep him.

rankingtear
11-07-2020, 09:57 PM
If gsw doesn’t get rid of Wiggins they have no shot at Giannis there already over the luxury tax

Trade

Dhbsr555
11-07-2020, 10:02 PM
Who they gonna trade Giannis for .. ain’t happening

cd021
11-07-2020, 10:08 PM
Aldridge + White/Murray + #11 for #2 + Wiggins + MIN 2021 1st + TPE.

I think this would get it done. Although if GS think they have a shot at Beal or Giannis at the deadline they may not want to part with MIN 2021 and Wiggins.

Murray/White + #11 for #2 + TPE is cleaner and would still allow them to be players at the deadline.

More in line to the ATL insiders rumored price for the #2 pick

-If that's who Golden State is really considering moving back for, then the Aldridge rumors seem to make more sense.

-Aldridge and Murray for , say, Wiggins, Looney, and #2 make some since. GSW adding in Minnesota's 2021 pick doesn't; they'd be trading the number 2 pick in this draft and probably a top 10 pick in a better draft.

Not sure if GSW would still do that deal with out the 11th pick, but if the Spurs do include Murray, that is the situation where I think that San Antonio insists on keeping it.

Dhbsr555
11-07-2020, 10:12 PM
I trade Murray if we also get Minnesota pick in 2021 but that should be a heavy price for two lotto picks

Dhbsr555
11-07-2020, 10:12 PM
I’d rather get a top 10 pick and say a one year rental so we will have tons of cap space in 21

rankingtear
11-07-2020, 10:14 PM
Why I think they want to trade #2 for a young player + lottery pick.

The value of number #2 goes down once the player is selected. Because now your trading for the player and not the position in the draft. You are now limited to teams who like the player and assuming the teams have not already addressed the need for that player with their own pick or free agency. Also they won't have the luxury of upping the value of said player them being gunning for the championship next year. So moving down and getting a young asset who can contribute to their team and still getting a valuable prospect ensures the value is still there. They would still have an option for an opportunistic trade like Giannis . Beal or even Booker at the deadline while competing for the chip.

Dhbsr555
11-07-2020, 10:23 PM
What if we added poodle in s&t

buttsR4rebounding
11-07-2020, 10:33 PM
If they’re trading for GA at the deadline it is for Draymond plus. No way those 2 would fit together in that line up.

rankingtear
11-07-2020, 10:35 PM
What if we added poodle in s&t

Can't, unless free agency starts before the draft.

Dhbsr555
11-07-2020, 10:36 PM
I think green crushed any value he may of had this year . Looked and horrible without curry and klay

Dhbsr555
11-07-2020, 10:36 PM
Will dd opt in before draft

Wu36
11-07-2020, 10:40 PM
All these scenarios are fun. But I don’t think the spurs want 2 firsts again. Keldon, LW, Murray, Luka, don’t like including white due to being older. I just don’t see adding 2 more firsts to them. Maybe something with atl for Collins if they don’t want to pay him. I like some to the ideas/rumors

Dhbsr555
11-07-2020, 11:50 PM
As long as Forbes and beli are gone and Lonnie and keldon get big minutes idc if we make a trade... I will lose it if Forbes starts again

R. DeMurre
11-08-2020, 12:21 AM
If D White's and KJ's drafts were each granted a do over, both of them likely go top 10... so I don't see why you'd want to include either in a trade that involves taking another stab at drafting a top 10 guy, unless you're pretty certain it's a franchise player.

alpha_HaZE
11-08-2020, 12:22 AM
He turns 26 early next year, at some point, players are kind of what they are. He's a better defender and shooter than DeMar but DeMar is a superior play maker and just a better offensive player in general.

Rk Age FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1 24 7.2 16.8 .429 6.4 14.3 .451 6.2 7.5 .824 0.6 3.5 4.1 3.7 1.0 0.3 2.1 2.4 21.4
2 24 8.5 18.9 .447 6.3 12.5 .506 3.7 5.2 .709 1.3 4.0 5.3 3.8 0.9 1.0 2.6 2.5 22.8

Provided by Stathead.com (https://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool): View Stathead Tool Used (https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool)
Generated 11/7/2020.

These are the STATS for each player at the age of 24 years old (I have removed 3% because Wiggins is better there) it is really hard to distinguish the two. Listen, I am not saying that Wiggins will become the playmaker and scorer that DeMar is, but rather than players do improve past 24 years old, they improve past 25, and so on.

TD 21
11-08-2020, 12:55 AM
Bolstering their championship aspirations or getting a bridge player?

They really can't have both. Firstly because of the financial implications.

Secondly, if Wiggins is such a lousy player, a negative asset, it would surely cost them something to get rid of him.

What do you suggest they do?

Dump Wiggins with a pick attached but keep the other one ( #2 or Minny '21 ) and go from there with the existing set of players.

As it stands they need to create a bench and get a starting calibre SF type of player. Lot to do.

They can conceivably have both. That's the value of having a #2 pick (even in this draft) and a top 3 protected '21 pick that's likely to fall in the top 10.

Wiggins is all that, but unless they're getting a starting caliber wing back or an avenue to a projected plug and play one, they need him. He's their 4th best player by default, on a roster that has all of 5 proven NBA players and a bloated payroll.

I'd suggest not forcing it. If there's no sensible deal for an established player on the table, try to move down a spot or a few and pick up an additional asset.

To each their own man, you're more than entitled to your opinion my friend.

I respectfully disagree. First off they are already looking to trade the #2 pick. If they really wanted a bridging player this is the pick to find it. If Minnesota does better this year and they come back to their previous form they run the risk of two picks that are both worse than what they have now. Perhaps they are comfortable thinking they can use them both to move up next year. But I just don't buy it. I think they aren't thinking 5 years from now. They still have Curry, Green and Thompson but at this point I wouldn't see them getting past the Lakers or the Clippers. They might even struggle against the rockets or jazz. Their window is getting close to closing but it hasn't closed yet. They aren't thinking rebuild but retool. Which is where all the smoke is coming from with the trading 2 rumors.

Maybe the spurs throw in 41? What do you think it takes to make the deal work?

I wouldn't say looking to. More like, it's their preference, if they can acquire a star or at least high quality player who fits the timeline of their big 3.

As I've said ad nauseam, the only deal I could envision would be Aldridge and 11 for Wiggins and 2, but I still don't think they'd do it. Aldridge is just too old, on an expiring and coming off of shoulder surgery.

exstatic
11-08-2020, 06:01 AM
I think green crushed any value he may of had this year . Looked and horrible without curry and klay

He’s 30, was revealed as a mediocre role player, and has a player option for 2023-2024 for $27.5M.

tbdog
11-08-2020, 08:35 AM
Rk Age FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1 24 7.2 16.8 .429 6.4 14.3 .451 6.2 7.5 .824 0.6 3.5 4.1 3.7 1.0 0.3 2.1 2.4 21.4
2 24 8.5 18.9 .447 6.3 12.5 .506 3.7 5.2 .709 1.3 4.0 5.3 3.8 0.9 1.0 2.6 2.5 22.8

Provided by Stathead.com (https://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool): View Stathead Tool Used (https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool)
Generated 11/7/2020.

These are the STATS for each player at the age of 24 years old (I have removed 3% because Wiggins is better there) it is really hard to distinguish the two. Listen, I am not saying that Wiggins will become the playmaker and scorer that DeMar is, but rather than players do improve past 24 years old, they improve past 25, and so on.

He has little work ethic. DD has good work ethic and a decent leader throughout his career. He put Raptors back on the market after Bosh left. People remember his failures but forget what he did for Toronto over the years. Wiggins won't ever be that good. He has empty stats, kinda like a Steve Francis but without the ego or drive.

XDT76
11-08-2020, 08:53 AM
I don't think Golden State would give up the number 2 pick without the Spurs taking on Wiggins getting the number 11 pick back in return.

I think the Spurs should still absolutely make that move, if they get an opportunity at the #2 pick they should take it.

No way Spurs should give up Aldridge and 11, we will help GS save 50mil and make them more well equipped to challenge for champion, whereas we are taking the risk that Wiseman is picked by the Wolves or he is not up to standard we will be forced to seriously overpay Poeltl as we will have no cap space to sign a starting big if Aldridge and Poeltl are both gone. If we keep 11 or get Wolves 21 pick at least I can accept it.

Ignazzz
11-08-2020, 10:09 AM
We can wait for 1st pick. After Edwards push the button.

TD 21
11-08-2020, 11:38 AM
He has little work ethic. DD has good work ethic and a decent leader throughout his career. He put Raptors back on the market after Bosh left. People remember his failures but forget what he did for Toronto over the years. Wiggins won't ever be that good. He has empty stats, kinda like a Steve Francis but without the ego or drive.

:lol No, he didn't. So sick of this narrative from Spurs/casual fans. Lowry and the fluky Gay trade (for 4 role players, that provided long term salary relief and was supposed to kick off a re-build), which provided depth, were primarily responsible for their turnaround.

A funny thing happened though: they started winning to such an extent that shady Ujiri, who wanted to re-build since he returned, couldn't sell to their ownership/team/fanbase that they traded their beloved, pseudo star (the only one in their history who wanted to be a Raptor for life) was only worth something similar to the Gay package, so he begrudgingly kept him until he found a sucker.

exstatic
11-08-2020, 11:58 AM
No way Spurs should give up Aldridge and 11, we will help GS save 50mil and make them more well equipped to challenge for champion, whereas we are taking the risk that Wiseman is picked by the Wolves or he is not up to standard we will be forced to seriously overpay Poeltl as we will have no cap space to sign a starting big if Aldridge and Poeltl are both gone. If we keep 11 or get Wolves 21 pick at least I can accept it.

You don’t understand draft trades at all, do you. There is a rule in place that you must make a first round pick at least every other year, you can only trade the actual pick that often. Dumb Cleveland owner named Stepien was trading his pick every year for 30 something coke head over the hill players, and the team was in the toilet for a long time. The Stepien rule. The way you work around it, in this case, is that GS picks the player for us, and we pick someone at 11 for them, and then you submit a trade to the league for the rights to the players selected. If Minny were to pick the player we want at #1, no deal.

cd021
11-08-2020, 12:45 PM

-How does that make any sense? Why should the Spurs care if Golden State gets future cap space if the Spurs get the #2 pick in the draft. That's the obvious tradeoff that would be required for the Spurs to get their highest pick in 23 years.

If the Spurs value a player enough to trade up and take on a bad contract, then it would see like they'd be pretty confident in a player like Wiseman. They generally don't miss on picks, if they to acquire that pick and were to hit on that pick then they could have their next star.

-Whether the Spurs trade up for Wiseman or not, they'd still have Poeltl restricted rights. They don't have to lose him for anything. Its not like the Spurs risk going into next season without a starting caliber center just by pursuing a trade.

-Also, Golden State holds the power in a potential trade because they have an asset that the Spurs seemingly want. If the Spurs want to make a deal, they likely aren't going to be able to keep #11. Also, no way Golden State gives up that Minny 2021 first round pick -- which is likely to fall in the top ten of a better draft.

alpha_HaZE
11-08-2020, 01:20 PM

Yes, in principle I agree with you, but if you read my original post I said "if he puts in the work" then the argument to that was, well some players are what they are and that DeMar is the better playmaker and overall the better offensive player, to which I replied that DeMar at the age of 24 was not the player that he is today.

Anyways, I never said that Wiggins will be as good as DeMar, what I am saying is that he has the potential if he commits himself, and even if he doesn't improve as much his defense and three point shooting make him a good fit with our team. Think about it, DJ, Derrick, and Wiggins have the potential to be the best defensive backcourt in the NBA.

talkspurs
11-08-2020, 01:51 PM
You don’t understand draft trades at all, do you. There is a rule in place that you must make a first round pick at least every other year, you can only trade the actual pick that often. Dumb Cleveland owner named Stepien was trading his pick every year for 30 something coke head over the hill players, and the team was in the toilet for a long time. The Stepien rule. The way you work around it, in this case, is that GS picks the player for us, and we pick someone at 11 for them, and then you submit a trade to the league for the rights to the players selected. If Minny were to pick the player we want at #1, no deal.

If the Spurs give GS their 11th then the it would not matter on GS making their pick as you correctly stated they only have to make a 1st rd pick every other year it does not have to be their pick. Since GS made a pick last year I dont know why this is coming up. We could still trade for thier pick this year since I think GS has their pick for next year and Min pick as well. We would not be able to trade for Min pick this year (unless giving a pick back) till after they draft because of this rule since they have traded away their pick next year and I dont think they have another one.

exstatic
11-08-2020, 01:58 PM
If the Spurs give GS their 11th then the it would not matter on GS making their pick as you correctly stated they only have to make a 1st rd pick every other year it does not have to be their pick. Since GS made a pick last year I dont know why this is coming up. We could still trade for thier pick this year since I think GS has their pick for next year and Min pick as well. We would not be able to trade for Min pick this year (unless giving a pick back) till after they draft because of this rule since they have traded away their pick next year and I dont think they have another one.

The point is, if you have a player in mind, you don’t WANT to trade for the pick unless you know that player is there. I’m sure GS is talking to multiple teams. That’s also why they give teams 15 minutes on the clock. They probably have several prospective deals lined up, and they may need to make 2-3 calls to get to the deal.

If GS were to trade the actual pick, they would be unable to trade a pick at the deadline, probably in March this year. That could spike a good trade they may have lined up. You always want your options open, which is why teams trade the player rights at draft time.

talkspurs
11-08-2020, 02:07 PM
-How does that make any sense? Why should the Spurs care if Golden State gets future cap space if the Spurs get the #2 pick in the draft. That's the obvious tradeoff that would be required for the Spurs to get their highest pick in 23 years.

-Also, Golden State holds the power in a potential trade because they have an asset that the Spurs seemingly want. If the Spurs want to make a deal, they likely aren't going to be able to keep #11. Also, no way Golden State gives up that Minny 2021 first round pick -- which is likely to fall in the top ten of a better draft.

Its not so much that the Spurs care about clearing up GS cap space it is that they are having to take it on. People take on bad contracts and get compensated by picks. People also trade players and get compensated in picks/players. LMA is not on a bad contract and he gives them a chance to win now. not in a few years when their players would be old. Wiggins hurts their tax and if traded here would hurt our salary cap. You dont give up 2 things (player cap space) for a slight move up in draft especially one this week.

GS does not hold the power they both have something the other team wants. Without a big GS title hopes are lower. They also would be in worse taxes if they keep him. Yes Spurs would want the #2 pick but it is not like GS would not want what the Spurs have as well.

talkspurs
11-08-2020, 02:10 PM
The point is, if you have a player in mind, you don’t WANT to trade for the pick unless you know that player is there. I’m sure GS is talking to multiple teams. That’s also why they give teams 15 minutes on the clock. They probably have several prospective deals lined up, and they may need to make 2-3 calls to get to the deal.

If GS were to trade the actual pick, they would be unable to trade a pick at the deadline, probably in March this year. That could spike a good trade they may have lined up. You always want your options open, which is why teams trade the player rights at draft time.

I knew about wanting to make sure we got the player we wanted in the trade did not think about them having a pick for this year so they could trade a 2021 pick later. If they had our pick though it would not matter but if I remember you are one (like me) that does not want to inlcude our 11th so they would need to make their pick then trade to us so they could trade their 2021 if they wanted to.

exstatic
11-08-2020, 02:19 PM
Its not so much that the Spurs care about clearing up GS cap space it is that they are having to take it on. People take on bad contracts and get compensated by picks. People also trade players and get compensated in picks/players. LMA is not on a bad contract and he gives them a chance to win now. not in a few years when their players would be old. Wiggins hurts their tax and if traded here would hurt our salary cap. You dont give up 2 things (player cap space) for a slight move up in draft especially one this week.

GS does not hold the power they both have something the other team wants. Without a big GS title hopes are lower. They also would be in worse taxes if they keep him. Yes Spurs would want the #2 pick but it is not like GS would not want what the Spurs have as well.

LMA has made it pretty clear that he’s going to finish in Portland. If he plays here next year, he will walk next summer. If he gets traded to GS, and wins a ring, maybe he postpones and signs a 1+1. He’s not a real asset to us, past this season. Think of him as useful salary ballast for this trade.

talkspurs
11-08-2020, 02:38 PM
LMA has made it pretty clear that he’s going to finish in Portland. If he plays here next year, he will walk next summer. If he gets traded to GS, and wins a ring, maybe he postpones and signs a 1+1. He’s not a real asset to us, past this season. Think of him as useful salary ballast for this trade.

Right not useful to us but is useful to them. He would give us cap space if he leaves which we could use to get other players or other picks for teams dumping players.

cd021
11-08-2020, 02:39 PM

-Sure, Wiggins is a horrible contract and under normal circumstances it would likely require at least two first round picks to unload a contract of that size. That said, the Warriors are willing to trade the #2 pick in the draft. That pick is not only much higher than most picks that get traded in deals to off load salary but there's the fact that # 2 picks virtually never get traded.

-Aldridge is probably a bit overpaid, and is certain to be if he doesn't waive his 15% trade kicker in a hypothetical trade (that would up his salary to $27.7 million). That said, he's still a good player and GSW apparently likes him enough to seemingly entertain trading back several spots for him.

I get the point about giving up the 11th pick and Aldridge and taking on Wiggins contract, in exchange for the #2 pick. Still, its the #2 pick and its an extremely valuable asset-- especially to the Spurs, who are seemingly ready to start a years long rebuilding process.

Trading up 9 spots normally requires multiple first round picks or pick(s) and a young asset. It seems that the Spurs probably aren't looking to move one of their young players so being able to move a vet, on an expiring deal, in their place is actually a win for the Spurs. Moving on from at 35 year old, that seems unlikely to want to re-sign after next season, as the center piece of a deal involving the #2 pick seems like a no-brainer. Also; the Spurs, at least as reported, don't seem like they'd have to mortgage the future by giving up a future first.

Golden State definitely has the power, they can opt not to trade their pick to the Spurs just for Aldridge and to take on Wiggins. There is probably a better deal to be had unless the Spurs include their 11th pick.

talkspurs
11-08-2020, 03:16 PM
Golden State definitely has the power, they can opt not to trade their pick to the Spurs just for Aldridge and to take on Wiggins. There is probably a better deal to be had unless the Spurs include their 11th pick.

They do not have complete power. They have tried to trade #2 and people keep rejecting when it has Wiggins attached to it. Teams do not want to take on his salary. As you said they have not just been talking to the Spurs but no one else wants to take on his contract and give them a big for #2. Bigs (good ones at least) are in short supply. Only ones that I hear out there on the trade markert are LMA, horford, Turner after that your dropping down to Deadmon. The one I have not really heard them going after that would not be bad for them would be Allen in Brooklyn.

Sugus
11-08-2020, 03:36 PM
A lot of homerism in this thread. The more I think about it, the less I see any kind of deal with GS happening. They have other options from teams that can offer both future picks, and better players, and LMA at 35 coming off a shoulder surgery that made him miss the bubble is hard from a safety net against All-Star bigs like AD - especially when he's a one year rental if they don't ring. I can't see Golden State giving up a #2 pick for that, even if #11 is included; and yes, I know they have to offload the salary from #2 and/or Wiggins' contracts to make the numbers close for next season. That doesn't mean it has to be us trading with them. Most comments I've seen give the Spurs an oddly high bargaining ground, which they just don't have.

That doesn't mean no trade is possible, I just don't see it happening with the Warriors, even though I'd personally love for it. If the rumors from that ATL insider are true, there might be picks to be had in the 5-8 range, which the Spurs could also be interested in. The general notion seems to be that the FO isn't staying still in regards to the draft, both from the multiple reports coinciding in the Spurs inquiring about possible trade partners, and the fact that they've worked out top lottery picks. If there's one year that the Spurs were likely to trade up, it'd be this one for sure... That's the feeling I get.

How many days is it, 10 until the draft? I'm excited, tbh.

ginobilized
11-08-2020, 04:32 PM
LMA on the Warriors would be very difficult to contain. They could beat you in so many ways.
He'd definitely put pressure on defenses to pick their poison. He's still capable of scoring inside and in the mid-range.
His ability to play physical, by today's standards would be ideal for GS. He can still score 30pts in a playoff game, I don't see the other bigs mentioned doing this.
The Spurs might have some leverage here by having the best player for GS.

pad300
11-08-2020, 04:39 PM

I think you're understating this financial issues enormously. The Wiggins contract is for $31,579,390 and $33,616,770 in 21/22 and 22/23. If they keep that contract, in both years, GSW will be paying the repeater luxury tax, $3.50 for every $1.00 over (and the contract will entirely be in luxury tax space). $65 million * (1+3.5) = $292.5 million . No franchise will take that financial hit. They need to move at least one of Wiggins, Draymond, Curry or Klay. Assuming they don't want to blow up the next couple of years of possible contention, it's Wiggins that moves...

TD 21
11-08-2020, 05:22 PM
Yes, in principle I agree with you, but if you read my original post I said "if he puts in the work" then the argument to that was, well some players are what they are and that DeMar is the better playmaker and overall the better offensive player, to which I replied that DeMar at the age of 24 was not the player that he is today.

Anyways, I never said that Wiggins will be as good as DeMar, what I am saying is that he has the potential if he commits himself, and even if he doesn't improve as much his defense and three point shooting make him a good fit with our team. Think about it, DJ, Derrick, and Wiggins have the potential to be the best defensive backcourt in the NBA.

If he had the kind of work ethic you're alluding to, it'd have revealed itself by now and he'd likely be markedly better than he is (even with a poor basketball IQ). Six years in, with financial security for the remainder of his life, isn't going lead to him magically finding religion, particularly on a re-building team like this.

He's neither a good defender or 3-point shooter, though. Think smaller, worse version of young Gay. Inefficient ISO scorer, who sucks at everything else. Counting stats without context are irrelevant. Look at the catch all metrics.

alpha_HaZE
11-08-2020, 05:59 PM
If he had the kind of work ethic you're alluding to, it'd have revealed itself by now and he'd likely be markedly better than he is (even with a poor basketball IQ). Six years in, with financial security for the remainder of his life, isn't going lead to him magically finding religion, particularly on a re-building team like this.

He's neither a good defender or 3-point shooter, though. Think smaller, worse version of young Gay. Inefficient ISO scorer, who sucks at everything else. Counting stats without context are irrelevant. Look at the catch all metrics.

Like I said, I don't think he has the work ethic to improve the way DeMar did, but I am not saying he is not going to do it. You never know what motivates people, so I really do think we agree.

R. DeMurre
11-08-2020, 06:02 PM
I think you're understating this financial issues enormously. The Wiggins contract is for $31,579,390 and $33,616,770 in 21/22 and 22/23. If they keep that contract, in both years, GSW will be paying the repeater luxury tax, $3.50 for every $1.00 over (and the contract will entirely be in luxury tax space). $65 million * (1+3.5) = $292.5 million . No franchise will take that financial hit. They need to move at least one of Wiggins, Draymond, Curry or Klay. Assuming they don't want to blow up the next couple of years of possible contention, it's Wiggins that moves...

That's a lot of money, even for a billionaire like Joe Lacom & Co... They paid $450 million for the entire team in 2010. If this trade rumor is true, I'm guessing the hold up is the Spurs trying to play hardball and not include #11, or asking for an extra pick next year.

R. DeMurre
11-08-2020, 06:11 PM

The metrics are kinda mind-boggling. In '17-'18 (his only winning season), these were the Offensive and Defensive ratings for the top Timberwolves:

KAT: 127 ORtg... 107 DRtg
Butler: 122.........110
Taj Gibson: 123.....112
Jeff Teague: 111.....112
Wiggins: 101.....113

Wiggins has never had a season where his numbers weren't upside down.

Chinook
11-08-2020, 06:12 PM

Exactly, the second-overall pick isn't free either. Too many folks seem to be overlooking that SA becomes a tax team if they do this deal. Of all years, this would be the worse one to be a tax team in, because owners are basically letting the players make more money than the revenue should allow. Not only would SA have to pay some tax, but they'd miss out on what could be huge tax payments from other teams. Then because the owners are loaning the players cap space, there's no reason to believe the cap will expand much if at all. So that increasing Wiggins deal will be a constant source of pressure on the team's finances.

GS does not have the power here. It's not clear there's even a clear number two guy that ANYONE wants, let alone SA. For them, just staying the course is probably not an option. Maybe SA doesn't offer the better deal, but there's a clear limit to where the deal stops making sense for SA, and it's not too far past 2 and Wiggins for LMA, DMDR or Gay/Mills.

exstatic
11-08-2020, 06:14 PM
Right not useful to us but is useful to them. He would give us cap space if he leaves which we could use to get other players or other picks for teams dumping players.

Can you get a #2 overall from some other team? If not, strike while the iron is hot. BTW, no good FA will sign here, and you’re not going to,find a better cap space rental than Wiggins for #2. You’re just not.

talkspurs
11-08-2020, 06:38 PM
Can you get a #2 overall from some other team? If not, strike while the iron is hot. BTW, no good FA will sign here, and you’re not going to,find a better cap space rental than Wiggins for #2. You’re just not.

#2 is not a normal #2. It is a risky pick. I think he will be good but many players before have thought they would be good as well. This is also considered more of a flat draft. So the difference between 2 and 11 is not much of a difference. You also say # is a good cap rental but we would have to do something to get under the cap. not resign a player or trade or something. We also are giving them something that helps them win a championship. Yes this is not guaranteed but it is a much better chance.

baseline bum
11-08-2020, 06:39 PM

I see no way he'd turn down a fat 3 year extension if Golden State offered. Hell I don't think he'd turn down one from the Spurs much less a title contender in a prime market like the Warriors.

cd021
11-08-2020, 07:32 PM
They do not have complete power. They have tried to trade #2 and people keep rejecting when it has Wiggins attached to it. Teams do not want to take on his salary. As you said they have not just been talking to the Spurs but no one else wants to take on his contract and give them a big for #2. Bigs (good ones at least) are in short supply. Only ones that I hear out there on the trade markert are LMA, horford, Turner after that your dropping down to Deadmon. The one I have not really heard them going after that would not be bad for them would be Allen in Brooklyn.

-Which teams have rejected a trade with Golden State? Teams can't even make trades yet.

-Bigs are in good supply, that's why a player like Poeltl likely isn't likely going to get a big offer. In fact, there are 3 starting caliber centers expected to go in the top 10 of of this draft. Aldridge is better than many bigs but not enough to solely justify trading the number 2 pick in the draft for.

-In essence, it seems that GSW is using the number 2 pick to try and offload Wiggins, while still staying in the lottery and also adding an impact player. The Spurs reported package seems to do that but that's not necessarily an offer than another team can't beat. Still, the Spurs should jump at the chance to make that deal if the opportunity presents itself.

TD 21
11-08-2020, 08:22 PM
Exactly, the second-overall pick isn't free either. Too many folks seem to be overlooking that SA becomes a tax team if they do this deal. Of all years, this would be the worse one to be a tax team in, because owners are basically letting the players make more money than the revenue should allow. Not only would SA have to pay some tax, but they'd miss out on what could be huge tax payments from other teams. Then because the owners are loaning the players cap space, there's no reason to believe the cap will expand much if at all. So that increasing Wiggins deal will be a constant source of pressure on the team's finances.

GS does not have the power here. It's not clear there's even a clear number two guy that ANYONE wants, let alone SA. For them, just staying the course is probably not an option. Maybe SA doesn't offer the better deal, but there's a clear limit to where the deal stops making sense for SA, and it's not too far past 2 and Wiggins for LMA, DMDR or Gay/Mills.

Nah. Wiggins would obviously be the DeRozan replacement. He'd inevitably be turned into lesser salary or if they did the Horford 3 way with the 76ers/Clippers you suggested, they'd likely not re-sign Poeltl and if necessary find a taker for Gay for minimal salary in return.

The Warriors have all of the power. They don't have to do anything and probably won't, with the exception of moving down slightly and picking up some decent young depth in the process.

talkspurs
11-08-2020, 08:27 PM
-Which teams have rejected a trade with Golden State? Teams can't even make trades yet.

-Bigs are in good supply, that's why a player like Poeltl likely isn't likely going to get a big offer. In fact, there are 3 starting caliber centers expected to go in the top 10 of of this draft. Aldridge is better than many bigs but not enough to solely justify trading the number 2 pick in the draft for.

-In essence, it seems that GSW is using the number 2 pick to try and offload Wiggins, while still staying in the lottery and also adding an impact player. The Spurs reported package seems to do that but that's not necessarily an offer than another team can't beat. Still, the Spurs should jump at the chance to make that deal if the opportunity presents itself.

It has been well reported that them and Mini have been trying to trade their picks. Some teams besides ours that I have seen linked to them are Phli, Phoenix, Milwaukee.

You say bigs are in good supply. I put good bigs, who are the good bigs that are in such large supply?

Chinook
11-08-2020, 08:36 PM
Nah. Wiggins would obviously be the DeRozan replacement. He'd inevitably be turned into lesser salary or if they did the Horford 3 way with the 76ers/Clippers you suggested, they'd likely not re-sign Poeltl and if necessary find a taker for Gay for minimal salary in return.

That doesn't address anything I said. Also acquiring Horford doesn't do anything but make the finances worse, and while they might be able to dodge the tax by letting Poeltl walk, it's weird that you'd be okay with that. You've said multiple times that they can't let "an asset" like Jakob walk for nothing.

"Inevitably turned into lesser salary?" Yeah right. If it were so easy to turn Wiggins into lesser salary, GS wouldn't have any need to pay to move him.

The Warriors have all of the power. They don't have to do anything and probably won't, with the exception of moving down slightly and picking up some decent young depth in the process.

Feels like you're just repeating yourself. GS doesn't have all the power. They WANT to not pay a huge tax pill. We know that by them coming and saying they probably won't use their TE. Maybe they'll grit and bear it, and maybe SA and the rest of the league and grit and bear not moving up to 2. Certainly, unless you specifically want one of Edwards/Wiseman, you might just to go Charlotte and try your luck, or Chicago, Cleveland, ATL or so on. All of those trade-ups SA have been linked to are lower than GS's pick anyway. SA doesn't have to and might prefer not to move that high if they really do want Deni or Okongwu or Toppin. They could probably get one at 6, and ATL has been rumored to be a much better trade partner. With GS trying to avoid paying excess tax, they're probably not going to be able to get the sweethart deals from lower-seeded teams you're implying they'd get easily. Best I could see if moving down to 7 with Detroit, but they aren't a great fit for getting GS the win-now player they want to replace Wiggins with. The Pistons might be able to rope SA into the deal at that point, but I don't know if either team wants to pay to give SA the value they'd need to do the deal without 2 going to SA.

exstatic
11-08-2020, 08:36 PM

This entire thread you have fucking failed to understand the absolute financial shitstorm GS is currently headed for.

TD 21
11-08-2020, 08:51 PM
That doesn't address anything I said. Also acquiring Horford doesn't do anything but make the finances worse, and while they might be able to dodge the tax by letting Poeltl walk, it's weird that you'd be okay with that. You've said multiple times that they can't let "an asset" like Jakob walk for nothing.

"Inevitably turned into lesser salary?" Yeah right. If it were so easy to turn Wiggins into lesser salary, GS wouldn't have any need to pay to move him.

Feels like you're just repeating yourself. GS doesn't have all the power. They WANT to not pay a huge tax pill. We know that by them coming and saying they probably won't use their TE. Maybe they'll grit and bear it, and maybe SA and the rest of the league and grit and bear not moving up to 2. Certainly, unless you specifically want one of Edwards/Wiseman, you might just to go Charlotte and try your luck, or Chicago, Cleveland, ATL or so on. All of those trade-ups SA have been linked to are lower than GS's pick anyway. SA doesn't have to and might prefer not to move that high if they really do want Deni or Okongwu or Toppin. They could probably get one at 6, and ATL has been rumored to be a much better trade partner. With GS trying to avoid paying excess tax, they're probably not going to be able to get the sweethart deals from lower-seeded teams you're implying they'd get easily. Best I could see if moving down to 7 with Detroit, but they aren't a great fit for getting GS the win-now player they want to replace Wiggins with. The Pistons might be able to rope SA into the deal at that point, but I don't know if either team wants to pay to give SA the value they'd need to do the deal without 2 going to SA.

It addresses all of it because the point is they'd have many ways out. They wouldn't just make this trade (again: not happening, but hypothetically) and more or less call it an off season. Who said I'd be okay with letting Poeltl walk? I just said it'd be an option. If they had Wiseman and Horford, the need presumably wouldn't exist short or long term.

I meant DeRozan.

Want and willing to are two difference things. Either way, they're not taking a subpar return for the 2nd pick (even in this draft) because of the tax. I didn't imply any "sweetheart deals", just a decent or intriguing young player or young veteran.

This entire thread you have fucking failed to understand the absolute financial shitstorm GS is currently headed for.

No insider has said to this point that it's going to impact what they do and again, either way that's not going to be reason enough to throw a 2nd pick in the garbage.

I get that this is a Spurs forum and many don't follow the league closely, but the amount of homer-ism in this thread is off the charts.

PhantomDashCam
11-08-2020, 09:40 PM
From a Golden State fan... excuse me, I mean writer's perspective:

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-rumored-lamarcus-aldridge-trade-010946045.html

Green is the heartbeat of the team and captain of the defense. Golden State would have to be highly motivated to send him elsewhere, and Aldridge isn't nearly enticing enough. As for Wiggins, the Warriors already are short on wings, and losing him would further exacerbate that. Not to mention, the Dubs are counting on Wiggins (https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/warriors-giving-andrew-wiggins-shot-might-be-genius-henry-abbott-says) to either become their fourth star player or directly help them acquire one. Aldridge was a star for many seasons, but he isn't one anymore.
On top of the fact that Aldridge isn't worth giving up everything that was included in that proposed trade, he also doesn't fit in stylistically with how the Warriors want to play. He is a ball-stopper on offense and often an aloof defender. Yes, his proficiency shooting from the perimeter would be a nice addition, but not at the cost of everything else that would be thrown off.

tbdog
11-08-2020, 10:24 PM
From a Golden State fan... excuse me, I mean writer's perspective:

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-rumored-lamarcus-aldridge-trade-010946045.html

That take makes no sense except the Warriors are short on the wings. They are shorter in the middle too. LMA with Curry and Klay. Gee. LMA gets doubled for the Spurs due to our lack of shooters. Imagine having Curry and Klay out there with him? You would jump on that. Warriors window is open for a few more years and it's not like LMA contract hurts their flexibility over the next few years too. Wiggins has to be their 4th star by default. And at 30mil per year? But LMA would be their third star, leaping Green.

exstatic
11-08-2020, 10:38 PM
It addresses all of it because the point is they'd have many ways out. They wouldn't just make this trade (again: not happening, but hypothetically) and more or less call it an off season. Who said I'd be okay with letting Poeltl walk? I just said it'd be an option. If they had Wiseman and Horford, the need presumably wouldn't exist short or long term.

I meant DeRozan.

Want and willing to are two difference things. Either way, they're not taking a subpar return for the 2nd pick (even in this draft) because of the tax. I didn't imply any "sweetheart deals", just a decent or intriguing young player or young veteran.

No insider has said to this point that it's going to impact what they do and again, either way that's not going to be reason enough to throw a 2nd pick in the garbage.

I get that this is a Spurs forum and many don't follow the league closely, but the amount of homer-ism in this thread is off the charts.

Don’t need insider info. League payrolls are available a number of places online, and I understand the luxury tax, and how to do basic math. $148M+$9M for next year, and $158M + $9.6M for the following year. Every dollar over the tax is charged a premium of $3.50.

Basic math and cap figures.

Chinook
11-08-2020, 11:12 PM

The Spurs would have options to get out of the money, but those options aren't free. That's why it's not a no-brainer for them to do this kind of deal. At the point where you're giving up or passing on value just to make the numbers work, you really have to question whether this trade at all makes sense for them.

Let's talk about LMA for Wiggins and the swap and DeRozan for Horford and 21 (that's the only thing that'd affect this year's cap). Here's a capulator link: http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=14769718905fa8bf20a86d9328737660

That basically has both of those trades, plus releasing Lyles and letting everyone walk -- including Poeltl. I had them select Wiseman because you suggested it, but they could easily not even have that chance or desire and would thus be more tempted to re-up Poeltl. Regardless, as it stands, they'd be about $2 Million under the tax line with three roster spots left to fill. That's basically impossible without further trades to move Gay and Mills. Even if the Spurs can find a way to make it worth without taking back future salary, they'd be right up against the tax the next season, but this time they'd have to make a decision on keeping White. You're one of the people who believes that he should get more than Murray, and that would make them clear tax-payers, and that's with them having 10 guys on the roster, including White and the future first. It'd be pretty hard for the Spurs to dodge the tax either season, and I don't see any reason why that roster would be willing to pay it.

Want and willing to aren't different. They are just different ways of describing the same thing in a case like this. GS doesn't WANT to pay tax -- therefore saving money is an incentive that has to be worked into any deal. They might ultimately decide to not do a deal, but they'd be missing out in the same way SA would be missing out if they decide not to pay the price GS asks for to move up in the draft. SA might well be "willing to" just draft at 11 -- in fact, I'm sure they are. GS doesn't have them over a barrell. Both sides want things the other has, but both can get those things by dealing with other teams. We've heard no indication that PATFO even wants to move up that high; so assuming their lack of leverage doesn't make sense. LMA for Wiggins just seems like a straight-forward framework that gets GS something they want while SA gets something they MIGHT want. I've yet to see anything about PATFO coveting Edwards or Wiseman.

PhantomDashCam
11-08-2020, 11:26 PM
That take makes no sense except the Warriors are short on the wings. They are shorter in the middle too. LMA with Curry and Klay. Gee. LMA gets doubled for the Spurs due to our lack of shooters. Imagine having Curry and Klay out there with him? You would jump on that. Warriors window is open for a few more years and it's not like LMA contract hurts their flexibility over the next few years too. Wiggins has to be their 4th star by default. And at 30mil per year? But LMA would be their third star, leaping Green.

Overall, I think it's a case of a Golden State guy/homer overvaluing their assets while failing to acknowledge (like many in this thread have said) the financial ramifications on their roster moving forward.

I'm in the minority on this I'm sure, but I feel GS rise to providence is no guarantee next year. They lack play-makers, have unproven pieces on the wing and are short of depth at the 5. Not to mention questions about Klay coming back from injury and possible decline in Dray's and Steph's games.

NickiRasgo
11-09-2020, 12:55 AM
And there's a report that the Timberwolves now are considering taking James Wiseman instead.

This is what makes me worry lately. If the deal push-thru, Spurs already set to take James Wiseman but what if Timberwolves drafted James Wiseman instead? I mean taking Anthony Edwards is not a bad idea but kinda defeats the purpose.

rankingtear
11-09-2020, 01:08 AM
And there's a report that the Timberwolves now are considering taking James Wiseman instead.

This is what makes me worry lately. If the deal push-thru, Spurs already set to take James Wiseman but what if Timberwolves drafted James Wiseman instead? I mean taking Anthony Edwards is not a bad idea but kinda defeats the purpose.

https://grantland.com/features/analyzing-kawhi-leonard-george-hill-trade-2013-conference-finals/

some reading to understand how draft deals work

buttsR4rebounding
11-09-2020, 01:30 AM
Overall, I think it's a case of a Golden State guy/homer overvaluing their assets while failing to acknowledge (like many in this thread have said) the financial ramifications on their roster moving forward.

I'm in the minority on this I'm sure, but I feel GS rise to providence is no guarantee next year. They lack play-makers, have unproven pieces on the wing and are short of depth at the 5. Not to mention questions about Klay coming back from injury and possible decline in Dray's and Steph's games.

Damn. They might be in the lottery next year too!

PhantomDashCam
11-09-2020, 04:16 AM
Damn. They might be in the lottery next year too!

:lol I know it sounds somewhat crazy. I don’t expect the lottery but as currently constructed, I don’t think they are better than both L.A’s, Denver and maybe Dallas. They will make moves for sure. They brought ex-spur Jonathon Simmons into their ”dubble” and he was dominant. Not sure he is even an NBA player at this point.

r0drig0lac
11-09-2020, 04:37 PM
https://twitter.com/AmicoHoops/status/1325910897781563392

Dejounte
11-09-2020, 04:40 PM

Sam Amico has been around forever and he has never been right with these rumors. Sam Amick is the reliable one

SpursDynasty85
11-09-2020, 04:55 PM
so Wiseman/Okongwu at worst. Hornets badly wanting Wiseman rumors makes Timberwolves taking Wiseman sound reliable. Any asset plus number 3 sound like an easy decision for Timberwolves specially with these rumors Spurs might be interested in Wiseman as well. Taking a starting big makes tons of sense for Spurs.

Dverde
11-09-2020, 05:00 PM

They interested in LMA/Gay for Wiggins. Not giving us #2.

SpursDynasty85
11-09-2020, 05:01 PM

Which we would say heck no to.

exstatic
11-09-2020, 05:04 PM
so Wiseman/Okongwu at worst. Hornets badly wanting Wiseman rumors makes Timberwolves taking Wiseman sound reliable. Any asset plus number 3 sound like an easy decision for Timberwolves specially with these rumors Spurs might be interested in Wiseman as well. Taking a starting big makes tons of sense for Spurs.

You should never play poker. Hornets want Wiseman, so Minny just wants a small asset to move back 2 spots? Minny has them over a barrel. Hell, Minny may have floated those GS rumors just to get CHA to act, so they can up the ante.

exstatic
11-09-2020, 05:07 PM

That doesn’t even come close salarywise, and the Spurs would never take that contract without a good pick, or a couple of average ones. Don’t know why you decided to pull this out of your ass, but I’ve never seen any version of this without #2. Show your work, or gtfo.

SpursDynasty85
11-09-2020, 05:13 PM
You should never play poker. Hornets want Wiseman, so Minny just wants a small asset to move back 2 spots? Minny has them over a barrel. Hell, Minny may have floated those GS rumors just to get CHA to act, so they can up the ante.

It wouldn't be playing poker if Charlotte and Timberwolves are in active talks for the number one plus an asset which is usually how this stuff works no?

TD 21
11-09-2020, 05:26 PM
Don’t need insider info. League payrolls are available a number of places online, and I understand the luxury tax, and how to do basic math. $148M+$9M for next year, and $158M + $9.6M for the following year. Every dollar over the tax is charged a premium of $3.50.

Basic math and cap figures.

Do to, as you have, pontificate that its going to impact what they do with the #2 pick.

The Warriors aren't the Spurs financially and they're in a unique position as a franchise. I wouldn't be making assumptions on this one.

The Spurs would have options to get out of the money, but those options aren't free. That's why it's not a no-brainer for them to do this kind of deal. At the point where you're giving up or passing on value just to make the numbers work, you really have to question whether this trade at all makes sense for them.

Let's talk about LMA for Wiggins and the swap and DeRozan for Horford and 21 (that's the only thing that'd affect this year's cap). Here's a capulator link: http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=14769718905fa8bf20a86d9328737660

That basically has both of those trades, plus releasing Lyles and letting everyone walk -- including Poeltl. I had them select Wiseman because you suggested it, but they could easily not even have that chance or desire and would thus be more tempted to re-up Poeltl. Regardless, as it stands, they'd be about $2 Million under the tax line with three roster spots left to fill. That's basically impossible without further trades to move Gay and Mills. Even if the Spurs can find a way to make it worth without taking back future salary, they'd be right up against the tax the next season, but this time they'd have to make a decision on keeping White. You're one of the people who believes that he should get more than Murray, and that would make them clear tax-payers, and that's with them having 10 guys on the roster, including White and the future first. It'd be pretty hard for the Spurs to dodge the tax either season, and I don't see any reason why that roster would be willing to pay it.

Want and willing to aren't different. They are just different ways of describing the same thing in a case like this. GS doesn't WANT to pay tax -- therefore saving money is an incentive that has to be worked into any deal. They might ultimately decide to not do a deal, but they'd be missing out in the same way SA would be missing out if they decide not to pay the price GS asks for to move up in the draft. SA might well be "willing to" just draft at 11 -- in fact, I'm sure they are. GS doesn't have them over a barrell. Both sides want things the other has, but both can get those things by dealing with other teams. We've heard no indication that PATFO even wants to move up that high; so assuming their lack of leverage doesn't make sense. LMA for Wiggins just seems like a straight-forward framework that gets GS something they want while SA gets something they MIGHT want. I've yet to see anything about PATFO coveting Edwards or Wiseman.

They kind of are free. Since they're not going to receive a haul as is, if one of the Spurs' pre-requisites in a DeRozan trade that they want to clear appreciable salary for this upcoming season in the deal, I don't foresee that being an issue. Gay could be a different story (maybe they could flip him for Ariza and waive him) though.

Even as something of a Wiseman skeptic and someone who shudders at the thought of Wiggins on this team, I'd still see it as a no brainer because it's the absolute apex of an asset they could acquire for Aldridge or DeRozan.

Either way, the Spurs aren't paying the tax for this team, no matter what they do.

Realistically, if they acquired #2 (Wiseman) and Wiggins, that'd make a Horford trade less likely because they'd have a lesser need for a centerish type and at that point they'd probably place more of a premium on cap relief in a DeRozan trade.

An incentive is one thing, but acting like they'd be willing to make a bad trade because of the tax is another. The Warriors have the leverage because they have the key asset and the Spurs don't have a great asset/package to offer in return.

exstatic
11-09-2020, 06:31 PM
Do to, as you have, pontificate that its going to impact what they do with the #2 pick.

The Warriors aren't the Spurs financially and they're in a unique position as a franchise. I wouldn't be making assumptions on this one.

No, they’re not the Spurs. They are in tax hell, and the Spurs aren’t. GS also won’t be able to monetize that new arena like they thought they would, at least not this season. They could pay $31M in tax JUST on pick #2 next season. Imagine that other 30ish million that they’ll have to pay 3.5-1 tax on.

DAF86
11-09-2020, 08:16 PM
The one time I want the Spurs to stay put and I'm sure they will end up doing something stupid like trading up in this draft. :lol

Joseph Kony
11-09-2020, 08:19 PM
Sam Amico has been around forever and he has never been right with these rumors. Sam Amick is the reliable one
he's just citing Zach Lowe's comment in the podcast as his source :lol

lmbebo
11-09-2020, 08:49 PM
Gay/LMA for Wiggins doesn't work without picks .... Taking on a lot of salary ... Probably why it made it to the media. Guess dead in water

daslicer
11-09-2020, 09:04 PM
Gay/LMA for Wiggins doesn't work without picks .... Taking on a lot of salary ... Probably why it made it to the media. Guess dead in water

I have heard another rumor the Warriors wanted LMA and the 11th pick for Wiggins straight up. Ridiculous if that's true.

Dverde
11-09-2020, 09:07 PM
Pop for Blake Griffin and a 2nd rounder?

Biggems
11-09-2020, 09:49 PM
So, after perusing the thread.....
Let's say we get 2 from GS, 4 from Chicago, and keep 11.....

Who do we take at 2, 4, and 11

exstatic
11-09-2020, 09:55 PM
So, after perusing the thread.....
Let's say we get 2 from GS, 4 from Chicago, and keep 11.....

Who do we take at 2, 4, and 11

How the fuck are you getting #4 from Chicago?