PDA

View Full Version : Dejounte Murray Trade Rumors: Will He Be Traded to the Atlanta Hawks?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

timvp
06-23-2022, 01:20 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/dejounte-murray-trade-rumor-atlanta-hawks/

I thought it was BS at first ... but the rumors are legit :wow

BillMc
06-23-2022, 01:25 PM
Wow, I assumed this was a smokescrean. Nice reporting OP!:bobo

scott
06-23-2022, 01:28 PM
Sounding like it was probably the Kings and #4?

If it included a lightly protected future Kings pick and a couple of FRPs from ATL *and* we got to keep #9 in addition to getting #4... man, I think we'd have to do that.

DPG21920
06-23-2022, 01:36 PM
Looks like my gut was right then about Collins making no sense for Sa if trading Murray. If Sa takes Dieng i hope Sa trades Murray.

rascal
06-23-2022, 01:38 PM
I'm expecting the only trade the spurs make is trading away one of their first round picks for a future first.

The Spurs asking prices are too high on every trade to get anything done.
Teams would be smart to stay far away from San Antonio in regards to a trade.

Robz4000
06-23-2022, 01:42 PM
Looks like my gut was right then about Collins making no sense for Sa if trading Murray. If Sa takes Dieng i hope Sa trades Murray.

This tbh. As much as I'd hate the Dieng pick, if they take him it signals the Spurs have picked a direction and have entered tank mode. Both Murray and Poeltl should be dealt.

exstatic
06-23-2022, 01:53 PM
Sounding like it was probably the Kings and #4?

If it included a lightly protected future Kings pick and a couple of FRPs from ATL *and* we got to keep #9 in addition to getting #4... man, I think we'd have to do that.

I don't see any way Sacto sends out #4 just for John Collins. They'd have to get #9 in the deal. If it came down to just pick protections, maybe a middle ground could be reached. They supposedly wanted full 1-14 lottery protection, and the Spurs probably wanted something like 1-4. Maybe 1-8 would work?

John B
06-23-2022, 01:59 PM
Multiple individuals employed by the Spurs say the franchise views Primo’s ultimate position to be point guard and that he’s exhibiting extreme work ethic and has made notable strides already this offseason.

This is the best news from that. I’m excited what this translates come openning day.

Chinook
06-23-2022, 02:03 PM
Yeah, ATL can suck every dick imaginable if they were trying to gice a bunch of non-lotto picks. Like functionally, it may not make a difference, but the lack of upside would be brutal.

rascal
06-23-2022, 02:13 PM
Yeah, ATL can suck every dick imaginable if they were trying to gice a bunch of non-lotto picks. Like functionally, it may not make a difference, but the lack of upside would be brutal.

What was the third team giving up? Murray straightup for pick 4 to get Ivey is a good deal.

This idea the spurs can get multiple unprotected or lightly protected picks is telling me the Spurs don't really want a trade.

I think the Spurs asking price was probably too high to get anything done.

mo7888
06-23-2022, 02:17 PM

Good information... honestly, I like the way they're thinking... I also felt like the way they view Primo was having an effect here too...

mo7888
06-23-2022, 02:20 PM
I don't see any way Sacto sends out #4 just for John Collins. They'd have to get #9 in the deal. If it came down to just pick protections, maybe a middle ground could be reached. They supposedly wanted full 1-14 lottery protection, and the Spurs probably wanted something like 1-4. Maybe 1-8 would work?

I think Sacramento might be getting Collins and Okongwu in the deal instead of 9....

John B
06-23-2022, 02:23 PM
A trade of Murray whether this draft or later just tells me Spurs are eyeing a equally effective Guard on this draft. Davis, Jaylen, Mathurin

illusioNtEk
06-23-2022, 02:26 PM
To risky!

I'd say get Ayton and Duren and call it a day... We have plenty of near all star guards guards.

It's also sad that this rumor has leaked... Just bad moral for this young Spurs Team. We should just stick with what we got, we are close to getting final peices together with some young bigs and we are set for 10 years. I hope the Spurs reads this and allow this young team to learn. Patience please. And no players over 27 unless they are Allstar.

Mr. Body
06-23-2022, 02:29 PM
Trading Murray for Collins was, if course, stupid. I don't get trading him for Ivey, who is both unproven and less of a point guard. Those picks must have been really enticing.

Or there is intel that one of the top three teams is taking Ivey and a big is falling.

vy65
06-23-2022, 02:33 PM
Lol betting the farm on Primo. Diversity hire doing diversity hire things.

John B
I see Hawks’ interest to hide Trae’s defensive weaknesses, and DJ is a very good help defense and co-facilitator, only 25 and cheap contract. It’s a no brainer for Hawks. They will continue knocking.

I wander if those multiple FRP’s can be packaged with 20-25 and get to top 10. I really like to get Davis and Sochan/Duren or all 3 :lol on this draft.

slick'81
I see Hawks’ interest to hide Trae’s defensive weaknesses, and DJ is a very good help defense and co-facilitator, only 25 and cheap contract. It’s a no brainer for Hawks. They will continue knocking.

I wander if those multiple FRP’s can be packaged with 20-25 and get to top 10. I really like to get Davis and Sochan/Duren or all 3 :lol on this draft.

murrays not going anywhere homie

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-23-2022, 02:42 PM
I appreciate the fact that the Spurs are doing whatever they can to improve the team. They should have shifted into this mode the day Kawhi walked, but that's ok. They were hoping our two all-stars could morph out of the post-season flops everyone else knew they were.

rascal
06-23-2022, 02:45 PM
To risky!

I'd say get Ayton and Duren and call it a day... We have plenty of near all star guards guards.

It's also sad that this rumor has leaked... Just bad moral for this young Spurs Team. We should just stick with what we got, we are close to getting final peices together with some young bigs and we are set for 10 years. I hope the Spurs reads this and allow this young team to learn. Patience please. And no players over 27 unless they are Allstar.

Spurs are closer to the bottom than they are to the top.

Rubberducky
06-23-2022, 02:50 PM
Just a heads up timvp, this article is making the rounds on a bunch of team subreddits and the main nba reddit. It's trending.

KingKev
06-23-2022, 02:51 PM
4 draft picks for Murray is a fking haul. I’ll say it again he is hardly in play.

Viewing Primo as the future of the franchise is absolute lunacy.

slick'81
06-23-2022, 02:52 PM
4 draft picks for Murray is a fking haul. I’ll say it again he is hardly in play.

Viewing Primo as the future of the franchise is absolute lunacy.

lol at primo replacing murray at pg

John B
06-23-2022, 02:57 PM
Just a heads up timvp, this article is making the rounds on a bunch of team subreddits and the main nba reddit. It's trending.

Good. Let the bidding war begin :bobo

John B
06-23-2022, 02:59 PM
I’d be thrilled to part with Murray, with a Davis, Sochan and Duren in my roster at the end of the day.

poopbox
06-23-2022, 03:01 PM
Whelp I had said the only way Murray gets moved is for a great young player and for multiple lottery picks with virtually no protection and it looks like that is what they were asking for :D

Feel like the end game would be to take some of the picks you get for Murray and then use them to move up and get Ivey

KingKev
06-23-2022, 03:02 PM
lol at primo replacing murray at pg

I don’t see it at all but I never saw Parker replacing Antonio Daniels so quickly either however nothing about Primo looks like a PG.

rjv
06-23-2022, 03:04 PM
I don’t see it at all but I never saw Parker replacing Antonio Daniels so quickly either however nothing about Primo looks like a PG.

a lot of ST posters here still say the same about murray.

BatManu20
06-23-2022, 03:04 PM
“There was a two hour window where [sic] the trade looked like it was nearing completion. Agents were even in on the call,” reads a text I got from a source last night.

Wow. This would be nuts.

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 03:05 PM
Thanks for this great report TIMVP. My initial reaction was kind of shock and denial, but after sleeping on it :coffee I realized trading Murray for a haul makes sense. I have chatted so much already about this that nothing else needs saying here, but thanking you for confirming this rumor.

:bobo

poopbox
06-23-2022, 03:10 PM
What was the third team giving up? Murray straightup for pick 4 to get Ivey is a good deal.

This idea the spurs can get multiple unprotected or lightly protected picks is telling me the Spurs don't really want a trade.

Which is the spurs MO. Instead of just flat out saying no we won't trade Dejounte they are telling Atlanta in order for you to get Dejounte you got to get us 4 lottery picks with little to no protection, which is going to be almost impossible for Atlanta to do with their current roster and players.

But...to play devils advocate...Atlanta is obviously desperate, since they took a HUGE step back last year. From ECF to not even in the playoffs. Pretty sure that staff is feeling heat from ownership to get back on track now. So who knows.

It is crazy to think that if the spurs would have been down to do pick swaps instead then Murray would be traded or getting traded today :wow

Brian Wong turning into Bryan Big Fucking Balls :wow

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 03:11 PM
Multiple individuals employed by the Spurs say the franchise views Primo’s ultimate position to be point guard and that he’s exhibiting extreme work ethic and has made notable strides already this offseason.

This is the best news from that. I’m excited what this translates come opening day.
Oh boy.. thanks for quoting this.
It slipped my mind as I was sooooo focused on the Murray trade.

This would obviously be a tanky move. Nothing to do but root for Primo at that point, and if not the tank.

poopbox
06-23-2022, 03:12 PM
Also wtf is Josh Primo doing in the spurs facility to make people think he can be a franchise player :rollin

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 03:14 PM
A trade of Murray whether this draft or later just tells me Spurs are eyeing a equally effective Guard on this draft. Davis, Jaylen, Mathurin
Wright seemed to talk about nothing but guards and BPA... it's in his subconscious and on his mind.

John B
06-23-2022, 03:15 PM

Neither is Murray a true PG. He’s a penetrate/dish kind of guy. And Tre almost getting triple-doubles whenever he starts makes me wonder if DJ is a system player. I know DJ has plenty of athleticism and crossover moves that he can translate elsewhere. But I don’t think he’s indispensable as a PG. And surely if Primo can tighten his handles, I know he can take the passing role.

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 03:17 PM
Also wtf is Josh Primo doing in the spurs facility to make people think he can be a franchise player :rollin
well I mean if you have guards that are 5'11" and unathletic guarding him, he will look like a star...

I am being sarcastic here... I am obviously rooting for him, but realistic take is that the tank will finally arrive.

Hopefully his shooting is back though. Even though I am skeptical about those lofty expectations, he will be better.

Degoat
06-23-2022, 03:17 PM
I wouldn’t at all be surprised if the spurs really like a guard in this draft and that they’re planning on drafting one of them tbh. Blake Wesley? Tyty Washington? Dyson Daniels? Dalen Terry?

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 03:22 PM
To risky!

This team is not close honestly. Considering Murray trades is an admission that they aren't close.

If it wasn't for the play in game the last 3 seasons, the Spurs would have had nothing to look for but tank at the end after the all star game for 3 straight seasons.

I have to give credit to the NBA for keeping the play in as it has given teams that are trying to compete something to aim for instead of starting the tank in February. If it wasn't for those play in games, fans would realize how hopeless things could be looking. It was really bad that some of those bad years, they had demar and other veterans on the team. They needed to do this sooner... anyways,

Murray will be elegible for an extension next summer, hes represented for Rich Paul and will want a max. Jakob is going to be worth $20 million per year starting next summer... This team is still far away.... so they need to get real.

poopbox
06-23-2022, 03:23 PM
I wouldn’t at all be surprised if the spurs really like a guard in this draft and that they’re planning on drafting one of them tbh. Blake Wesley? Tyty Washington? Dyson Daniels? Dalen Terry?

Don't think any of these guys will be as good as Dejounte was this year. I don't think any guard could be other than Ivey and...gasp...Shaedon Sharpe

Seventyniner
06-23-2022, 03:25 PM
“There was a two hour window where [sic] the trade looked like it was nearing completion. Agents were even in on the call,” reads a text I got from a source last night.
Wow. This would be nuts.

That is a shit ton of smoke. A few more hours and we'll see if there's any fire.

Payote75
06-23-2022, 03:28 PM
https://twitter.com/ilikeATLSports/status/1540056490668613632?t=YiwJYwqMSsOzJssW95JxgA&s=19

That I have to say for me is a jump all over it. I'd think the kings would want one of our other picks. What do you guys think on this one.

szkorhetz
06-23-2022, 03:37 PM
https://twitter.com/ilikeATLSports/status/1540056490668613632?t=YiwJYwqMSsOzJssW95JxgA&s=19

That I have to say for me is a jump all over it. I'd think the kings would want one of our other picks. What do you guys think on this one.
I hate this trade, TBH.

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 03:38 PM
Whelp I had said the only way Murray gets moved is for a great young player and for multiple lottery picks with virtually no protection and it looks like that is what they were asking for :D

Feel like the end game would be to take some of the picks you get for Murray and then use them to move up and get Ivey
lol you nailed it.
Come on teams! Get cracking. You want to make a Summer Splash, improve your team! This is it!

--------------------

Seriously... those in denial still should look at the fact that the Spurs are not rumored to be buyers for any significant additions but trading up in the draft, to realize how clear it is that the Spurs are rebuilding still.

Murray is, realistically, "not about that life" at this point of his career.

Whether Primo is a potential cornerstone:drunk or not we don't know, but all we can do is root for him whatever happens. :cheer

exstatic
06-23-2022, 03:44 PM

He's got better court vision than Murray. DeJounte has literally never made a pass that surprised and delighted me. Primo, in his limited 1000 minute rookie season, made a half dozen of them. He's like an offense version of Vassell on defense, who just knows where everyone is. Even on the drive, he knows when a player is sliding to a new position, whether it's part of the play or a reaction to defensive movement.

Ariel
06-23-2022, 03:48 PM

F*ck no. That's basically Dejounte for no. 4, since 15 & 16 have about equal value to 9. So F'n NO. Might reconsider if we keep 9 though.

SpurPadre
06-23-2022, 03:50 PM
I'm not on this board as much as in years past but I'm still a Spurs fan for life. This is a stunning turn of events even if it doesn't end up happening. One thing I can't find much info on is whether Pop is coming back or not. I even read something about Manu being a possible replacement. If Murray gets traded, does that indicate Pop is definitely retiring?

slick'81
06-23-2022, 03:50 PM
Wow. This would be nuts.

and of course the it was seconds away from completing :lol

Payote75
06-23-2022, 03:51 PM
F*ck no. That's basically Dejounte for no. 4, since 15 & 16 have about equal value to 9. So F'n NO. Might reconsider if we keep 9 though.

You don't like the center and no I'm not spelling his damn name lolol...I'm challenged. Other moves would follow as well probably and your getting 4 16 and future number ones ok Atlanta might be in the 20s but the kings gonna king. Plus a center. I'd be all over that.

BackHome
06-23-2022, 03:52 PM

Yeah they have to get one of those players I am guessing Blake or Dalen Terry of even TYTy if he falls to 20

Ariel
06-23-2022, 03:53 PM
Misread the trade, it's Dejounte + 9 for 4 + 16 + Charlotte's 2023... actually even WORSE. We'd have to keep 9 and maybe add a swap or 2.

Leetonidas
06-23-2022, 03:54 PM
I'm not on this board as much as in years past but I'm still a Spurs fan for life. This is a stunning turn of events even if it doesn't end up happening. One thing I can't find much info on is whether Pop is coming back or not. I even read something about Manu being a possible replacement. If Murray gets traded, does that indicate Pop is definitely retiring?

No, and I don't think Pop is retiring which is why you haven't heard anything about him coming back or not because it's assumed he will be. I don't think Pop is the kind of guy to make a spectacle. if he were retiring he would have already announced it, IMO.

But, as always with the Spurs, who really knows for sure. i wouldnt look into anything they do as being indicative of anything else. So if Murray does end up getting traded i'd venture to guess that has not bearing on Pop returning or not

Payote75
06-23-2022, 03:55 PM
I hate this trade, TBH.

Understood man I love DJ I'm not understanding the premise of why we seem to need a 10 year rebuild but if it has to happen then I hope we get best return possible. This supposed to be exciting day it's actually becoming stressful worrisome bothersome etc. But got to trust pop and his peeps all I got rt now.

TD 21
06-23-2022, 03:56 PM
Just as I thought. I'd do it if it's for the 3 way I suggested last night and posted above, but not for a random haul of picks.

It makes a lot of sense to pursue this to the fullest. Murray's and the Spurs timelines are divergent, he's more complementary/fringe star than franchise player and his value is probably never going to be higher.

BatManu20
06-23-2022, 03:57 PM
This tells me that even if the trade doesn’t go through with ATL, we’re gonna have to trade Dejounte now in the very near future. He’s not going to be happy with being stuck on a shitty team that is trying to actively get rid of him.

BatManu20
06-23-2022, 03:58 PM
If this is the direction the Spurs are really going to go in, a full-on rebuild, then we need to trade Poeltl too and just fucking tank hard next season and hope for the best in the Wembanyana sweepstakes.

None of this “we are too proud to tank” bullshit. Either full on tank and embrace it or make moves to compete now, none of this in between treadmill shit.

SpurPadre
No, and I don't think Pop is retiring which is why you haven't heard anything about him coming back or not because it's assumed he will be. I don't think Pop is the kind of guy to make a spectacle. if he were retiring he would have already announced it, IMO.

But, as always with the Spurs, who really knows for sure. i wouldnt look into anything they do as being indicative of anything else. So if Murray does end up getting traded i'd venture to guess that has not bearing on Pop returning or not

I've always been a big Murray fan and enjoyed to see his resurgence this past season but I trust PATFO know what they're doing here. Kawhi set this franchise back over 20 years with his behavior so I know they're trying to right the ship.

RC_Drunkford

thanks for the reporting. Any insight if the Spurs would be interested in pairing Collins with DJ? That was actually the thought behind pursuing Collins.

RC_Drunkford
06-23-2022, 03:59 PM

I been saying this for a while, they think he is James Harden 2.0

poopbox
06-23-2022, 04:00 PM
lol you nailed it.
Come on teams! Get cracking. You want to make a Summer Splash, improve your team! This is it!

--------------------

Seriously... those in denial still should look at the fact that the Spurs are not rumored to be buyers for any significant additions but trading up in the draft, to realize how clear it is that the Spurs are rebuilding still.

Murray is, realistically, "not about that life" at this point of his career.

Whether Primo is a potential cornerstone:drunk or not we don't know, but all we can do is root for him whatever happens. :cheer

It's still just about impossible for any team other than houston and okc to give the spurs what they want if they don't come down off those pick swaps.

Dejounte probably going to be salty all this upcoming season to :lol

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 04:04 PM
It's still just about impossible for any team other than houston and okc to give the spurs what they want if they don't come down off those pick swaps.

Dejounte probably going to be salty all this upcoming season to :lol

In part that is a reason they need this to happen. I mentioned in a different thread how the initial Ben Simmons trade didn't go through for some minor thing, but Ben found out, and things just soured from there. I still I am kind of in disbelief any trade will go down this draft involving Dejounte because this leaked... but it's not ideal bc the Spurs hand is tipped. Once Murray starts asking for trades and things it's just a different experience, and possibly even more complicated.

MannyIsGod
06-23-2022, 04:04 PM

God damn you guys suck at asset valuation. Murray for #4 straight up - so Ivey - is an awful deal for the Spurs. Fucking atrocious.

exstatic
06-23-2022, 04:05 PM
This tells me that even if the trade doesn’t go through with ATL, we’re gonna have to trade Dejounte now in the very near future. He’s not going to be happy with being stuck on a shitty team that is trying to actively get rid of him.

WE aren't trying to get rid of him. ATL called, and we listened. We asked for the FRP bag, and they declined.

I think every player on this non-playoff team knows that none of them are untouchable. They're NOT being shopped, but if the right, ridiculous offer comes, they'll be traded.

TD 21
06-23-2022, 04:09 PM
If they could get Ivey and Okongwu and the former hits, it's like skipping two years of bottoming out.

I'd much rather that than continuing on with this in between nonsense, where they're rumored to be in on young veteran sub stars and fail to land any while continuing to draft projects in the late lottery.

slick'81
06-23-2022, 04:11 PM
Spurs weren't trading Murray unless they got a kings ransom. Nobody is paying that. Murray stays

MannyIsGod
06-23-2022, 04:13 PM
I don't think this means the Spurs want to tank, but I think its hard not listen to a deal that involves getting 4 draft picks in return for Dejounte. I have a big time emotional attachment to DJM, and I think he's very good, but if the Spurs can get that kind of a package for them they HAVE to consider it. Especially now, when Dejounte's value is the highest its ever been.

MannyIsGod
06-23-2022, 04:13 PM
I mean sure looks like they got pretty close to someone paying that.

slick'81
06-23-2022, 04:14 PM
I mean sure looks like they got pretty close to someone paying that.

not close enough apparently

DPG21920
06-23-2022, 04:17 PM
If it’s true that they got that close my guess is it gets done. ATL should want to go all in for Murray; he’s great and young and they want to win.

They really concerned about bottoming out? Nope. They should do what it takes especially since risk is low picks turn into top 5 or something

It’s rare you get a shot a young all stars - the cost should not matter much imo

Leetonidas
06-23-2022, 04:19 PM
I'm gonna miss DJM man, he's like the anti-Kawhi and has always been extremely pro-Spurs :depressed

Ocotillo
06-23-2022, 04:19 PM
Furthermore, I can’t emphasize enough how much the Spurs believe in Joshua Primo’s potential. Multiple individuals employed by the Spurs say the franchise views Primo’s ultimate position to be point guard and that he’s exhibiting extreme work ethic and has made notable strides already this offseason.

WTF is wrong with these people? Don't they read the Spurs Talk message board?

Ocotillo
06-23-2022, 04:30 PM
WTF is wrong with these people? Don't they read the Spurs Talk message board?

Wait! Who's guarding Ja?!?!?!?!

offset formation
06-23-2022, 04:37 PM
WTF? Primo is not a fucking PG. He's not even a SG. Hes a SF.

Come on PATFO. You don't double down on mistakes. He showed ZERO capability to break down a defense, noe yhe passing ability to facilitate other'sgames without a piss poir turnover rate.

No, just no.

Joseph Kony

doesnt matter :lol Ja's been torching SA since he came into the league

exstatic
not close enough apparently

Supposedly came down to the pick protections. That's pretty fucking close. That means they had all of the players and matching salaries done. That's usually what kills a deal.

KingKev
06-23-2022, 04:39 PM
I'm gonna miss DJM man, he's like the anti-Kawhi and has always been extremely pro-Spurs :depressed

He isn’t going anywhere and guess who many have been considering paying 2x his true value…. Our friends in ATL who we have a great relationship with.

slick'81
06-23-2022, 04:42 PM
Supposedly came down to the pick protections. That's pretty fucking close. That means they had all of the players and matching salaries done. That's usually what kills a deal.

Spurs couldnt get those unprotected picks

Uriel
06-23-2022, 04:42 PM
If the Spurs really do trade Dejounte Murray for the #4 pick and believe Primo is the starting PG of the future, then they’d draft Keegan Murray over Jaden Ivey wouldn’t they?

CGD
06-23-2022, 04:43 PM

Exactly. It could be revived tonight if one of the picks moving leads to someone the spurs like.

slick'81
06-23-2022, 04:44 PM
Exactly. It could be revived tonight if one of the picks moving leads to someone the spurs like.

dont hold your breath

CGD
06-23-2022, 04:44 PM
If the Spurs really do trade Dejounte Murray for the #4 pick and believe Primo is the starting PG of the future, then they’d draft Keegan Murray over Jaden Ivey wouldn’t they?

Not necessarily. Ivey projects more as a secondary ball handler. It’s why people like him at DET with Cade.

John B
06-23-2022, 04:55 PM

It’s certainly not DJ. And not just Ja, but every shifty guards who torch the Spurs every single night. Spurs need a point-of-attack defender as much ad they need a defensive PF from this draft - Davis, Dyson

The Truth #6
06-23-2022, 04:55 PM
Josh Primo is going to look like Kobe starting next to Caleb Houstan. Joking?

exstatic
06-23-2022, 05:02 PM

Or, if they meet somewhere in the middle on the protections. They want full 1-14 lottery on all of them. We probably want unprotected or maybe 1-4. Maybe they split the difference? Like 1-8 on all of them, or two unprotected or lightly protected, and two full lottery protected?

KingKev
06-23-2022, 05:08 PM
Or, if they meet somewhere in the middle on the protections. They want full 1-14 lottery on all of them. We probably want unprotected or maybe 1-4. Maybe they split the difference? Like 1-8 on all of them, or two unprotected or lightly protected, and two full lottery protected?

Reminder, you don’t have inside information even if you do play dominos with Pop’s older brother at the local rec centre.

K...
06-23-2022, 05:18 PM
Id imagine any final offer comes when pick 4 is on the clock . No urgency till then. There should be other trades ready too if the spurs did their jobs

exstatic
06-23-2022, 05:20 PM
Reminder, you don’t have inside information even if you do play dominos with Pop’s older brother at the local rec centre.

Did I say I did? You do understand what the words maybe and probably mean, right?

-21-
06-23-2022, 05:22 PM
im all for moving murray. as much as i love the guy, we're just in no position to win rn and it makes sense to get as much as u can for him while his value is at an all-time high.

baseline bum
06-23-2022, 05:25 PM
Not interested in trading an allstar for lottery protected picks at all unless it's coming with either the #2 or #3 tonight to get Holmgren or Banchero.

rascal
06-23-2022, 05:33 PM
Not interested in trading an allstar for lottery protected picks at all unless it's coming with either the #2 or #3 tonight to get Holmgren or Banchero.

Then you won't be trading because those guys won't be traded for Murray.

rascal
06-23-2022, 05:33 PM

RC_Drunkford
06-23-2022, 05:36 PM
Like I said, the best offer the Hawks have for John Collins as of now is Harrison Barnes straight up :lol with no pick attached as just reported by The Athletic. Spurs should absolutely try to grab him for J-Rich, McDermott and 25 or something along those lines

baseline bum
06-23-2022, 05:42 PM

Yeah probably not, Spurs aren't going to pull one over on Presti to get Holmgren and Houston seems to be in love with Banchero, though they could be lying I guess.

TD 21
06-23-2022, 05:49 PM
If the Spurs were on the verge of landing Ivey and possibly Okongwu and it doesn't get revived/completed because of pick protections, they'll have probably passed up on the best value they're likely to get for Murray going forward.

If they retain Murray/Poeltl, chances are we're right back here next year, debating the merits of a cadre of underwhelming prospects (relative to need) in the late lottery as opposed to entering the Wembaynyama sweepstakes.

slick'81
06-23-2022, 05:51 PM
If the Spurs were on the verge of landing Ivey and possibly Okongwu and it doesn't get revived/completed because of pick protections, they'll have probably passed up on the best value they're likely to get for Murray going forward.

If they retain Murray/Poeltl, chances are we're right back here next year, debating the merits of a cadre of underwhelming prospects (relative to need) in the late lottery as opposed to entering the Wembaynyama sweepstakes.

hell hve to be moved before he enters his final contract season and his value takes a nose dive

offset formation
06-23-2022, 06:17 PM

bend over and I'll show you an All-Star

offset formation
06-23-2022, 06:19 PM
Yeah probably not, Spurs aren't going to pull one over on Presti to get Holmgren and Houston seems to be in love with Banchero, though they could be lying I guess.

bend over and I'll show you a lie.

no...er, wait a second. that didn’t come out the way I meant it.

rascal
06-23-2022, 06:32 PM
I don't think this means the Spurs want to tank, but I think its hard not listen to a deal that involves getting 4 draft picks in return for Dejounte. I have a big time emotional attachment to DJM, and I think he's very good, but if the Spurs can get that kind of a package for them they HAVE to consider it. Especially now, when Dejounte's value is the highest its ever been.

Quit getting emotioanally attached to players on a team that is closer to the bottom than the top.

Ivey is going to be great, a better player than Murray in the long run.

KobesAchilles
06-23-2022, 11:05 PM
Quit getting emotioanally attached to players on a team that is closer to the bottom than the top.

Ivey is going to be great, a better player than Murray in the long run.
Not in Detroit he isn’t.

DPG21920
06-25-2022, 11:08 AM
Some more Intel from Seth Partnow podcast:

rascal
06-25-2022, 11:13 AM
Not in Detroit he isn’t.

Ivey will be great in Detroit. They have some good young talent there.

RC_Drunkford
06-25-2022, 11:14 AM

Just get Collins and keep DJ

mo7888
06-25-2022, 11:15 AM

That sounds to me like we're going to move him and Jak for picks...take bad contracts for picks...maybe even move KJ for picks....play the young guys and try to get enough ping pong balls to get a shot at Victor Wembanyama..

offset formation
06-25-2022, 11:31 AM
That sounds to me like we're going to move him and Jak for picks...take bad contracts for picks...maybe even move KJ for picks....play the young guys and try to get enough ping pong balls to get a shot at Victor Wembanyama..

From your keyboard to Pop's eyes. Please sweet baby jesus.

Just don't let this kid end up a Laker. I'll quit basketball forever.

Dejounte
06-25-2022, 11:36 AM
Another summer of Spurs fans wanting a DJ trade to happen? And then the season starts and he’s still a Spur?

https://twitter.com/jeffgspurszone/status/1540735175553712130

When will yall ever learn?

Trueblood
06-25-2022, 11:39 AM

This is exactly what we should be doing. Primo is making progress and could take over next year. Trading Murray and Jak get us at least 2 first rounders in '23. If we want Wembanyama we have to tank hard. Whoever gets first is not giving it up even if we could offer a high lottery pick and two additional first rounders so we have one shot.

LeBowen
06-25-2022, 11:39 AM
I just can't see Trae and DJ fitting well together on offense.
Having an off-ball guard that's not really a catch and shoot threat is really bad in today's league.

But if they really want him, make them overpay.
I wouldn't do the trade if Hawks aren't willing to include Hunter, they're misusing him, anyway.
I'd do DJ+Jakob for Hunter+Collins.
Maybe even take Capela's contract with Doug etc.

That's the version if Pop doesn't want to tank.
But as you guys already said, best case scenario is just getting all the possible assets and embaracing the tank this year.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-25-2022, 11:42 AM
From your keyboard to Pop's eyes. Please sweet baby jesus.

Just don't let this kid end up a Laker. I'll quit basketball forever.

Lakers can't get Wembanyama. They don't control their own 2023 pick - NO have swap rights with no protections.

RC_Drunkford
06-25-2022, 11:42 AM
I'm not doing none of that. I'm calling the Hawks to give up John Collins for Walker, J-Rich and a 2nd rounder so we can make the playoffs

Dejounte
06-25-2022, 11:44 AM
https://twitter.com/realtompetrini/status/1540736881838632961

:lmao :lmao

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-25-2022, 11:44 AM
I think the Murray to Atlanta deal is dead for good. Spurs likely were targeting pick 4 from Sacramento in a three-way trade + future picks from Atlanta but this can't happen anymore. They're doing their due diligence, which they should, and they're setting high prices for their assets, which they also should.

offset formation
06-25-2022, 11:45 AM
Lakers can't get Wembanyama. They don't control their own 2023 pick - NO have swap rights with no protections.

You clearly have more faith in the righteousness of the universe than I do. Nature finds a way. Lakers are cockroaches and cannot be exterminated even when they do everything possible that kills every other species (franchise).

Degoat
06-25-2022, 11:47 AM
Hawks are in a tough spot tbh supposedly before the draft the kings were offering a package around Harrison Barnes without the #4 pick. They’re not gonna get a better player in a trade then JC imo but time will tell.

rascal
06-25-2022, 11:50 AM
You clearly have more faith in the righteousness of the universe than I do. Nature finds a way. Lakers are cockroaches and cannot be exterminated even when they do everything possible that kills every other species (franchise).

Never count the Lakers dead. They always find ways to rise from the dead and turn that team around quickly.

LA has always been the number one destination for the top free agents and that's how the lakers build their teams through free agency unlike the spurs who have to build through the draft process.

mo7888
06-25-2022, 11:55 AM

:bobo:lol

poopbox
06-25-2022, 12:05 PM
All of this drama over Josh fucking Primo :lol

This dude better be fucking good this year :lol

Imagine having a point guard have a career year and be the most improved player in the league while becoming an all star and being like, we going to make somebody else the point guard:lol

SPURt
06-25-2022, 12:38 PM
I hope the Spurs don’t trade DJM, dude has a decade of ball left in him. Unless the trade his Herschel Walker crazy, there’s no need for rumors.

CGD
06-25-2022, 12:53 PM
Yes, I think the draft was the context for this trade. Another may arise down the road, but right now I'd be more focused on how i can extort the crap out the on the Knicks in their quest to land Brunson.

BackHome
06-25-2022, 12:54 PM
Yeah, all this trade DJM is just a bunch of hot air only way we trading him is if it's a block buster deal where we getting multiple first round picks

Gagnrath
06-25-2022, 01:00 PM

There's a huge difference between actively trying to get rid of someone and "We'll hear your offer, Oh you'll give us Collins, Your pick for this year and 2024, Toss in an unprotected Kings pick, and a random pick from like the nets or philly" Hum lets see what we can shuffle to match salaries, and talk with agents. Oh wait you won't/can't remove the lottery protections from the kings pick and yours in the future.... Yeah how about no.

RC_Drunkford
06-25-2022, 01:31 PM
Yes, I think the draft was the context for this trade. Another may arise down the road, but right now I'd be more focused on how i can extort the crap out the on the Knicks in their quest to land Brunson.

I'd love to snatch one of those OKC picks. Just not sure if the Knicks would make a deal with us, we're not exactly friends

CGD
06-25-2022, 01:45 PM
I'd love to snatch one of those OKC picks. Just not sure if the Knicks would make a deal with us, we're not exactly friends

They have a rager on for Bronson but must shed salary first. They likely need to unload Fournier to make it work, but Nerlens is the other piece that helps move the needle too.

Spurs could:

- For a FRP and a SRP, Spurs could send out Romeo, KBD, and Jock (all waivable for NYK) and take back a year of Nerlens (~9M).

- For 3 FRP (remember several they just got are heavily protected), Spurs could absorb 2 years of Fournier (~18M per year).

- or do both

If the Spurs are interested in Ayton, they would have more picks to throw at the Suns.

T Park
06-25-2022, 01:49 PM
I’d be very open to getting Noel back for a year for picks. Restrictions need to be lightened however

TD 21
06-25-2022, 03:43 PM
Now that the three way to get 4 is no longer even theoretical, I don't see anything that makes sense for Murray and with the Spurs drafting Sochan, the Hornets Williams and the Raptors Koloko (not that he necessarily projects as a starter, but they probably won't pursue a similar type, non star one for now), the only Poeltl trade that makes sense is for Ayton.

They have a rager on for Bronson but must shed salary first. They likely need to unload Fournier to make it work, but Nerlens is the other piece that helps move the needle too.

Spurs could:

- For a FRP and a SRP, Spurs could send out Romeo, KBD, and Jock (all waivable for NYK) and take back a year of Nerlens (~9M).

- For 3 FRP (remember several they just got are heavily protected), Spurs could absorb 2 years of Fournier (~18M per year).

- or do both

If the Spurs are interested in Ayton, they would have more picks to throw at the Suns.

Great call. The Suns could either keep both Poeltl and Noel and make a decision by the deadline or, if they're comfortable with the latter as a starter (and as a relatively inexpensive vertical spacer, they might be) look to expand it to three teamer, with Poeltl and the Knicks draft capital going somewhere for something they prefer.

DPG21920
06-25-2022, 03:54 PM
Washington makes sense. Johnny Davis + KCP + 3 firsts (one unprotected, one top 4 protected and one top 8 protected)

CGD
06-25-2022, 04:14 PM
Washington makes sense. Johnny Davis + KCP + 3 firsts (one unprotected, one top 4 protected and one top 8 protected)

I like that. If we could swing Deni instead of KCP even better.

I still feel we will end up dealing with NYK this summer in some capacity. Whether eating their bad money or even a DJ landing spot itself (Knicks have 7 picks including there own that could be decent).

DPG21920
06-25-2022, 04:26 PM
Definitely think NY is a team to watch

Ice009
06-26-2022, 06:58 AM

I still feel we will end up dealing with NYK this summer in some capacity. Whether eating their bad money or even a DJ landing spot itself (Knicks have 7 picks including there own that could be decent).

Do you guys actually think DJM will be traded? You're making it sound certain.

T Park
06-26-2022, 07:00 AM

There will be cap room even if they signed Ayton, so go ahead and get Noel with a pick

SpursBills
06-26-2022, 07:26 AM
Honestly, if the front office believes in Primo's potential that much, I'd take Okongwu and 3 first rounders for Murray. Flip Poetl for a pick. Okongwu was one of my favorites going into his draft class and I think with starter minutes he breaks out (one of the few guys I've seen able to give Giannis problems in the limited minutes he guarded him). Next year you tank, if you get lucky and hit #1, take Wembenyama and you've got a great trade asset in Okongwu. In the more likely scenario that you don't get lucky, you've got a young highly switchable defensive monster with a not broken jump shot on the same timeline as your other guys, and you can go get BPA and more draft assets for a true rebuild.

Ignazzz
06-26-2022, 07:35 AM
3x1rd from ATL with Dejounte in Hawks very bad deal.

offset formation
06-26-2022, 08:31 AM

Spurs reportedly do want that type of haul for him but I am very doubtful a team views Murray's value with that kind of reciprocity.

Dejounte
06-26-2022, 09:26 AM
What the Spurs are asking for is not the same as what they think teams value him as

To the Spurs, it may be more trouble giving him up for fair value than keeping him thus the increased cost. They likely aren’t even seeking to trade him, but it’s the summer and all kind of BS is up for discussion.

KingKev
06-26-2022, 10:08 AM
There will be cap room even if they signed Ayton, so go ahead and get Noel with a pick

There won’t. We have ~30mm if we renounce Walker.

John B
06-26-2022, 11:13 AM

Nobody is going to give up Wembanyama for picks. It’s either you get #1 pick or you don’t get him.

mo7888
06-26-2022, 12:07 PM
Nobody is going to give up Wembanyama for picks. It’s either you get #1 pick or you don’t get him.

I didn't argue otherwise...but the more picks your have in the lottery the better your chances are of having one bounce your way..

Excessive Egotist
06-26-2022, 12:48 PM

Agree with this.

I believe the lead candidates are NY, Atlanta, Portland, and Nets. Spurs should prioritize teams who can include an unprotected '23 FRP.

The Nets are intriguing as the three team partner because they could send Kyrie one direction and receive Dejounte (and McDermott, I'd guess).

I personally think NY + SA + BKN OR POR + SA + BKN makes more sense than Atlanta.

A straight up trade with the Knicks makes the most sense.

My best guess on the value sought by Spurs:

IF NY, then I'd imagine San Antonio would have to get 4 picks, including NY's unprotected '23, and Obi Toppin.

IF Portland, at least 2 picks plus Shaedon Sharpe.

If Brooklyn, 4 picks.

A three team trade with Brooklyn means 2 picks from BKN and 2 picks from the third team (who will land Kyrie) and maybe a young player.

If ATL, Collins and three firsts, at least one of which would have to be unprotected.

The difference in # of picks is entirely dependent on projected number of lottery picks. Spurs will value Murray on par with three lottery picks. So more picks, or a player, will be required if the picks sent to Spurs project mid to late first round. Brooklyn and Portland's would project in late teens or 20s, which is why I think the inclusion of Shaedon Sharpe would be necessary if dealing with Portland.

If Spurs move Murray, they'd also move Poeltl, Richardson, and probably Johnson, which is ~4 FRPs. Moving Murray means resetting around Devin as the most Sr. member of the young core, which will also feature four 19 year olds.

Excessive Egotist
06-26-2022, 12:50 PM
Agree with this.

I believe the lead candidates are NY, Atlanta, Portland, and Nets. Spurs should prioritize teams who can include an unprotected '23 FRP.

The Nets are intriguing as the three team partner because they could send Kyrie one direction and receive Dejounte (and McDermott, I'd guess).

I personally think NY + SA + BKN OR POR + SA + BKN makes more sense than Atlanta.

A straight up trade with the Knicks makes the most sense.

My best guess on the value sought by Spurs:

IF NY, then I'd imagine San Antonio would have to get 4 picks, including NY's unprotected '23, and Obi Toppin.

IF Portland, at least 2 picks plus Shaedon Sharpe.

If Brooklyn, 4 picks.

A three team trade with Brooklyn means 2 picks from BKN and 2 picks from the third team (who will land Kyrie) and maybe a young player.

If ATL, Collins and three firsts, at least one of which would have to be unprotected.

The difference in # of picks is entirely dependent on projected number of lottery picks. Spurs will value Murray on par with three lottery picks. So more picks, or a player, will be required if the picks sent to Spurs project mid to late first round. Brooklyn and Portland's would project in late teens or 20s, which is why I think the inclusion of Shaedon Sharpe would be necessary if dealing with Portland.

If Spurs move Murray, they'd also move Poeltl, Richardson, and probably Johnson, which is ~4 FRPs. Moving Murray means resetting around Devin as the most Sr. member of the young core, which will also feature four 19 year olds.

EDIT: I just saw DPG's speculation re: Washington. Agree.

T Park
06-26-2022, 12:58 PM
There won’t. We have ~30mm if we renounce Walker.

34. More if they renounce more.

CGD
06-26-2022, 01:00 PM
^ The Murray trade teams I’ve heard musing on by the various podcasters are NYK, ATL, WAS, MIN.

— I’m intrigued most by NYK if the goal is picks. They have those 3 protected picks (Dallas one only top 10 btw), but more importantly they have their own out to 2028.

— a WAS deal involving J. Davis and picks intrigues.

— ATL and MIN are meh. No point in a Collins swap if Murray goes out.

CGD
06-26-2022, 01:09 PM

In reality Suns will also end up taking some of our guys back in a S&T, if they’re dead set on balking at a max offer sheet.

In that world Ayton signs and Spurs still have a healthy amount of capspace potentially to some bad salaries (Knicks) for picks

KobesAchilles
06-26-2022, 01:12 PM
Ivey will be great in Detroit. They have some good young talent there.
Detroit? That’s where players careers go to die isn’t it. This isn’t the well run organization of the early 00s.

CGD
06-26-2022, 01:14 PM
Detroit? That’s where players careers go to die isn’t it. This isn’t the well run organization of the early 00s.

Nah, they’re cooking now. Detroit will be fun to watch over next 4 years.

Ariel
06-26-2022, 01:22 PM
Yup. NY is desperate for a PG and has 3 firsts + all of their own, and they're going to suck long term. If Brunson stays with the Mavs, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they throw everything but the kitchen sink at us for Dejounte. If they throw 5 lightly protected firsts, or 4 + a few swaps, then it may be something to consider.

Ariel
06-26-2022, 01:23 PM
^ The Murray trade teams I’ve heard musing on by the various podcasters are NYK, ATL, WAS, MIN.

— I’m intrigued most by NYK if the goal is picks. They have those 3 protected picks (Dallas one only top 10 btw), but more importantly they have their own out to 2028.

Yes, this. Washington or NY are the teams that make the most sense, not Atlanta.

CGD
06-26-2022, 01:29 PM
Yes, this. Washington or NY are the teams that make the most sense, not Atlanta.

With New York, the Spurs can even take Fournier off their hands if it increases the haul. I’d demand 2 unprotected NYK FRP (or at least the 2023 one), and the 3 protected FRP they just got.

Excessive Egotist
06-26-2022, 01:31 PM

Mostly agree with this. Collins would have help with the development of Primo. And we'd be able to secure 1-2 FRPs for him at a future trade deadline. So I don't think Spurs should over think his fit without Murray; they should secure the asset and determine how to convert it later.

Excessive Egotist
06-26-2022, 01:40 PM

Mostly agree with this. Collins would help with the development of Primo. And we'd be able to secure 1-2 FRPs for him at a future trade deadline. So I don't think Spurs should over think his fit without Murray; they should secure the asset and determine how to convert it later.

Chinook
06-26-2022, 01:45 PM

Don't know where you're looking, but the Capulator isn't counting the cap holds for the rookies. The Spurs don't have a max slot after guaranteeing Collins.

Ariel
06-26-2022, 01:46 PM
With New York, the Spurs can even take Fournier off their hands if it increases the haul. I’d demand 2 unprotected NYK FRP (or at least the 2023 one), and the 3 protected FRP they just got.
They got 3 first round picks for OUSMANE F*ING DIENG... If we hand them a 25 year old all star AND take on a horrible contract, we need more than that. I would ask for the MSG also...

CGD
06-26-2022, 01:49 PM
They got 3 first round picks for OUSMANE F*ING DIENG... If we hand them a 25 year old all star AND take on a horrible contract, we need more than that. I would ask for the MSG also...

I mean 5 picks, two of which are unprotected is a start.

Chinook
06-26-2022, 01:49 PM
To put it into perspective, the Spurs might operate as an over-the-cap team now that they made all their first-round picks and guaranteed Collins. That's how little cap space they have. They can still create a max slot if they need it, but I don't think they'd want to do that if trading is also an option.

CGD
06-26-2022, 01:53 PM
To put it into perspective, the Spurs might operate as an over-the-cap team now that they made all their first-round picks and guaranteed Collins. That's how little cap space they have. They can still create a max slot if they need it, but I don't think they'd want to do that if trading is also an option.

Could you explain how that’s even possible? Is that because they haven’t formally renounced Aminu, Sato, Dragic?

Excessive Egotist
06-26-2022, 02:01 PM
Yup. NY is desperate for a PG and has 3 firsts + all of their own, and they're going to suck long term. If Brunson stays with the Mavs, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they throw everything but the kitchen sink at us for Dejounte. If they throw 5 lightly protected firsts, or 4 + a few swaps, then it may be something to consider.

From NY, I want three of their own FRPs, at least one unprotected, Detroit's '23 FRP, and Obi Toppin.

Ariel
06-26-2022, 02:04 PM
From NY, I want three of their own FRPs, at least one unprotected, Detroit's '23 FRP, and Obi Toppin.
Obi Toppin is dead weight, all he can do is dunk in transition. I'd ask for as many picks as possible and that's it. The Knick's roster is utter garbage (other than RJ Barret, and certainly he's not going anywhere).

Chinook
06-26-2022, 02:08 PM
So this is going to initially sound crazy, but:

Murray and Richardson to PHX for Paul, Cam Johnson, Shamet and two firsts

Then (technically simultaneously):

Paul and Poeltl to LAL for Westbrook and two firsts.

The Spurs get four first and Cam Johnson for their two best players and taking $10 Million in 2023-2024 salary.
Phoenix gets to re-sign Ayton and have their young core for cheaper
LAL gets to basically get the banana boat together

Then in the off-season, use the bit of cap space that remains to sign Jalen Smith to something like $42M/3 with only the first year guaranteed.

I initially thought the Spurs should then either waive/buyout Westbrook or send him home until a trade could be found. But then I realized that the resulting team would actually fit him.

Westbrook, Jones, Wesley
Vassell, Primo, Branham
Johnson, McDermott, Langford
Johnson, Sochan, Bates-Diop
Smith, Collins, Landale

Two-way: Wieskamp, Barrlow

That's actually a fast unit with excellent spacing and defensive ability. The Johnsons and Sochan would make for one of the best young forward rotations I can ever think of. Smith and Collins can both shoot from outside. I think that roster would actually play to Westbrook's strengths. I don't think Westbrook would have another MVP-caliber season, and I'm not sure that I'd want him to dominate the ball enough to find out. But he might perform well enough to get a team to give up value for him. I can't think of a starting PG that would be a better stop-gap. It's sad, because DeJounte himself might be perfect for that lineup. Maybe the Spurs could get Cam for Poeltl if Ayton walks? Johnson, Johnson and Jones are notable free agents after next season, but the Spurs might be able to get all or two of them on reasonable extensions this summer to allow them to go into the next off-season with cap space.

Chinook
06-26-2022, 02:11 PM
Could you explain how that’s even possible? Is that because they haven’t formally renounced Aminu, Sato, Dragic?

It's because the MLE and LLE both count against the cap until a team is so far below it that they can't make up the different. Lonnie's hold is around $14 Million. The exceptions combine to about $15 Million. Then Wieskamp, Cacock and the two-ways have their cap holds. That puts the team like $10 Million over the cap.

CGD
06-26-2022, 02:14 PM
^ Id rather just get the 4 FRP from the Knicks in a deal for Murray. Spurs can then continue to shop Jak and Richardson separately for additional trade capital.

CGD
06-26-2022, 02:16 PM
It's because the MLE and LLE both count against the cap until a team is so far below it that they can't make up the different. Lonnie's hold is around $14 Million. The exceptions combine to about $15 Million. Then Wieskamp, Cacock and the two-ways have their cap holds. That puts the team like $10 Million over the cap.

Ok thanks. Good to know but seems academic in the end, no? They can renounce Lonnie, and waive/renounce Romeo, KBD, and Jock if further flexibility is required.

Chinook
06-26-2022, 02:19 PM
^ Id rather just get the 4 FRP from the Knicks in a deal for Murray. Spurs can then continue to shop Jak and Richardson separately for additional trade capital.

Cam Johnson is not to be slept on. Dude would be a perfect fit with Keldon and Sochan. Imagine forward going from a weak position to 100-percent taken care of for the next four years.

Also, the Knicks have a bunch of truly awful picks clumped together. They're one of the worst teams to trade with because they're going to keep trying to shovel shit on the plate and pretend it's food.

JPB
06-26-2022, 02:22 PM

The Spurs get four first and Cam Johnson for their two best players and taking $10 Million in 2023-2024 salary.

Then in the off-season, use the bit of cap space that remains to sign Jalen Smith to something like $42M/3 with only the first year guaranteed.

I initially thought the Spurs should then either waive/buyout Westbrook or send him home until a trade could be found. But then I realized that the resulting team would actually fit him.

Westbrook, Jones, Wesley
Vassell, Primo, Branham
Smith, Collins, Landale

That's actually a fast unit with excellent spacing and defensive ability. The Johnsons and Sochan would make for one of the best young forward rotations I can ever think of. Smith and Collins can both shoot from outside. I think that roster would actually play to Westbrook's strengths. I don't think Westbrook would have another MVP-caliber season, and I'm not sure that I'd want him to dominate the ball enough to find out. But he might perform well enough to get a team to give up value for him. I can't think of a starting PG that would be a better stop-gap. It's sad, because DeJounte himself might be perfect for that lineup. Maybe the Spurs could get Cam for Poeltl if Ayton walks? Johnson, Johnson and Jones are notable free agents after next season, but the Spurs might be able to get all or two of them on reasonable extensions this summer to allow them to go into the next off-season with cap space.

I don't want to ever see Westbrook in a spurs uniform, not even for 10 unprotected picks.

kobyz
06-26-2022, 02:23 PM

Even Durant isn't give you that kind of package

Chinook
06-26-2022, 02:24 PM
Ok thanks. Good to know but seems academic in the end, no? They can renounce Lonnie, and waive/renounce Romeo, KBD, and Jock if further flexibility is required.

If the Spurs renounced everyone and waived all of their non-guarantees besides Jones, they could get a slot for the lowest tier of max contract. But that's only if they stretch Langford. It's possible but painful, and I expect the team to not initially go into the summer expecting to use cap space unless they want a free-agent for more than the MLE and/or someone wants to pay them for the space.

Excessive Egotist
06-26-2022, 02:25 PM

:bobo

Excessive Egotist
06-26-2022, 02:26 PM
Even Durant isn't give you that kind of package

The Detroit pick is heavily protected and no one in NY is wild about Toppin. He's been mostly a bad player for two years.

Excessive Egotist
06-26-2022, 02:30 PM
Obi Toppin is dead weight, all he can do is dunk in transition. I'd ask for as many picks as possible and that's it. The Knick's roster is utter garbage (other than RJ Barret, and certainly he's not going anywhere).

I'm not a big fan of Toppin either. But NY's picks also don't project super well. You'd expect those picks to between 6 seed and play in with Murray on their roster. We'd have to get four FRPs and a swap or SRPs or Toppin.

CGD
06-26-2022, 02:33 PM
Cam Johnson is not to be slept on. Dude would be a perfect fit with Keldon and Sochan. Imagine forward going from a weak position to 100-percent taken care of for the next four years.

Also, the Knicks have a bunch of truly awful picks clumped together. They're one of the worst teams to trade with because they're going to keep trying to shovel shit on the plate and pretend it's food.

Good call on Cam Johnson, and I do think for the Suns they’re asking internally, “do we pay Ayton or Johnson?” In fact, I like the idea of offering the Ayton sheet just to mess with PHX on this, lol.

I see the the Knicks picks situation differently:

- their natural 2023 FRP has value if unprotected. If they miss the playoffs again it’s another lotto ticket.

- the Dallas 2023 FRP, which is the best of the 3 they traded for IMO, is only top 10 protected. Who knows what happens with Brunson (btw this is the pick id demand if they want us to eat Nerlens to create cap space for Brunson)

- Natural Knicks picks after 2025 could be valuable if he leaves or RJ busts or DJM leaves for free agency after 2024.

- I’d also ask to the two other protected non-natural 2023 picks.

objective
06-26-2022, 02:37 PM
My math using spotrac, keeping Tre and Jock, renouncing everyone else puts them at $90,935,863 and 14 players, which should be enough for Ayton if signed to an RFA deal at 25% of $122m.

Where is my math wrong?

CGD
06-26-2022, 02:37 PM
If the Spurs renounced everyone and waived all of their non-guarantees besides Jones, they could get a slot for the lowest tier of max contract. But that's only if they stretch Langford. It's possible but painful, and I expect the team to not initially go into the summer expecting to use cap space unless they want a free-agent for more than the MLE and/or someone wants to pay them for the space.

Thanks for explaining the finer points.

I sure hope they have a plan to use that capspace, even as a dumping ground! Would be very disappointing otherwise.

CGD
06-26-2022, 02:41 PM
My math using spotrac, keeping Tre and Jock, renouncing everyone else puts them at $90,935,863 and 14 players, which should be enough for Ayton if signed to an RFA deal at 25% of $122m.

Where is my math wrong?

That’s my reading too, but perhaps I’m missing something.

But bottom line: if they really want to offer Ayton a sheet starting at his $30.5M max, it’s the old “if there is a will there is a way” adage.

objective
06-26-2022, 02:46 PM
That’s my reading too, but perhaps I’m missing something.

But bottom line: if they really want to offer Ayton a sheet starting at his $30.5M max, it’s the old “if there is a will there is a way” adage.

Right, I don't get it. My math is even with keeping Jock who is a fringe NBA player. Though I suppose if the Spurs did sign Ayton as an unmatched RFA or in a sign and trade that Poeltl would be gone, and in that scenario there'd be a spot for Jock as emergency bench player

Chinook
06-26-2022, 02:48 PM

Where is my math wrong?

I don't know why it's slightly different, but I see Deeks for some reason hasn't removed Samanic from the Spurs' salaries even though he's been gone for way before he made most of his updates. That does allow them to keep Langford. I'd question keeping Jock over KBD if the team is going to have both Ayton and Poeltl, but that's neither here nor there.

CGD
06-26-2022, 03:01 PM
^ on Jock and KBD, if Spurs are interested in Ayton of real, I’d love to see them first package those guys with Romeo to NYK for Nerlens and the Dallas 2023 FRP. Knicks just waive/renounce those guys for capspace.

That Dallas pick can go in an Ayton S&T.

mo7888
06-26-2022, 03:28 PM

Westbrook, Jones, Wesley
Vassell, Primo, Branham
Smith, Collins, Landale

I like the 2nd iteration you mentioned best (getting cam for jak). To me the first one is kinda sorta trying to compete and end up around the play-in again. Yes we've got a couple 20something picks from Phoenix and a couple probably lottery picks from LA in a few years but if I'm trading DJ I want an unprotected lottery pick in 23 and our own high lottery pick in 23 so we have a shot at Wembanyama and hopefully another top 6 pick. NY or Washington give us a shot at that.

KobesAchilles
06-26-2022, 03:31 PM

Westbrook, Jones, Wesley
Vassell, Primo, Branham
Smith, Collins, Landale

That is the greatest tank scenario I have ever seen. I would be all over this lol. Get Westbrook to ball dominate and has us lose games while giving us a very good forward option that is young. It gives us a chance to realistically tank for the French dude. Plus both Paul and Lebron won’t even be any good by 2027 and AD might even be injured again giving us another top 10 pick.
The real gamble though is giving away DJ. He’s a player that doesn’t grow on trees so we have to be super high on Primo to even consider it. Although you could argue we could trade the picks away for a disgruntled player. But the thought of this trade is fascinating

objective
06-26-2022, 03:31 PM
^ on Jock and KBD, if Spurs are interested in Ayton of real, I’d love to see them first package those guys with Romeo to NYK for Nerlens and the Dallas 2023 FRP. Knicks just waive/renounce those guys for capspace.

That Dallas pick can go in an Ayton S&T.

I don't think that would work, I think their contracts would become guaranteed in order to trade them.

However, if the Spurs strike out on Ayton and Collins or just choose to burn space for picks, Spurs could just take Noel into space for draft pick

OKC fleeced a great future #1 for taking JaMychal Green off Denver

CGD
06-26-2022, 04:31 PM
I don't think that would work, I think their contracts would become guaranteed in order to trade them.

However, if the Spurs strike out on Ayton and Collins or just choose to burn space for picks, Spurs could just take Noel into space for draft pick

OKC fleeced a great future #1 for taking JaMychal Green off Denver

Damn, I thought part of the upshot of those deals was the trade and waive appeal.

BatManu20
06-26-2022, 05:04 PM
DJ to Atlanta confirmed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWNZ8jBXwAMOuvm?format=jpg&name=large

objective
06-26-2022, 05:19 PM
Damn, I thought part of the upshot of those deals was the trade and waive appeal.

Only during the season I thought. There's a point at which they either have to be guaranteed to be traded and I don't know if that's the end of the regular season or until the league year rolls over into the agency.

I'm sure cbafaq has the clarification but don't have the time now to look

Fazzlaa
06-26-2022, 05:48 PM
Wizards fan here

How about: Kyle Kuzma, Deni Avdija, 2025 1st rounder, 2027 1st rounder, 2029 1st rounder for Dejounte?

(Can include Rui to sweeten the deal)

mo7888
06-26-2022, 05:50 PM
Wizards fan here

How about: Kyle Kuzma, Deni Avdija, 2025 1st rounder, 2027 1st rounder, 2029 1st rounder for Dejounte?

No...an unprotected 1st in 2023...and 3 more 1sts with some protection on a sliding scale starts the conversation..

Fazzlaa
06-26-2022, 05:57 PM
No...an unprotected 1st in 2023...and 3 more 1sts with some protection on a sliding scale starts the conversation..

The issue is, the 2023 1st rounder is owned by the Knicks right now (via OKC who got it from HOU) from the Wall-Westbrook trade. That pick is lottery protected and has protections until 2026 in which it becomes 2 seconds if it never conveys.

objective
06-26-2022, 05:59 PM
Is 2029 eligible for teams to trade yet? Perusing the RealGM future picks owed page I didn't notice any picks past 2028. Maybe when July 1st comes?

mo7888
06-26-2022, 06:12 PM
The issue is, the 2023 1st rounder is owned by the Knicks right now (via OKC who got it from HOU) from the Wall-Westbrook trade. That pick is lottery protected and has protections until 2026 in which it becomes 2 seconds if it never conveys.

Then I think the Wizards would need to find a 3rd team and open it up to provide thst unprotected 2023...

CGD
06-26-2022, 06:28 PM

Technically selections 15-30 are owned by the Knicks. I wonder if there is a way to convey the portion of the pick that conveys the 1-14 selection.

CGD
06-26-2022, 06:31 PM

Agree, we’d need unprotected 2023 FRP to start the convo. It’s why the Knicks and Wiz appeal.

PhantomDashCam
06-26-2022, 06:35 PM
Holy Crap...

PhantomDashCam
06-26-2022, 06:37 PM
^ Appears to be a hoax. Damn the small edit windows. Apologies guys.

Degoat
06-26-2022, 06:39 PM
^Fake^ You had me for a second lol

Mr. Body
06-26-2022, 06:45 PM
You've been banned from SpursTalk.

CGD
06-26-2022, 06:46 PM
Lol, had me there for a sec.

The clear thing with all this: DJ has a robust as hell market.

BatManu20
06-26-2022, 06:47 PM
Lmao the troll accounts get everyone at some point :lol

Excessive Egotist
06-26-2022, 06:50 PM
Wizards fan here

Are these unprotected? Can we have Kispert instead of Avdija?

exstatic
06-26-2022, 07:02 PM

Westbrook, Jones, Wesley
Vassell, Primo, Branham
Smith, Collins, Landale

Weiskamp is on an NBA contract, and m pretty sure he’d rather be released than go back on a 2 way.

exstatic
06-26-2022, 07:11 PM

Where is my math wrong?

Holds for our shiny new FRPs.

objective
06-26-2022, 07:30 PM

I included all of them

Cardinal
06-26-2022, 07:31 PM
Jake Fischer says talks with Atlanta are ongoing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">San Antonio and Atlanta remain engaged on trade conversations regarding a larger deal centered around Dejounte Murray and John Collins, sources said. <br><br>We’ll get into all the trade and free agency scuttle with <a href="https://twitter.com/BigWos?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BigWos</a> tomorrow at 7:30pm ET on <a href="https://twitter.com/getcallin?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@getcallin</a>:<a href="https://t.co/GgQWuQz9ud">https://t.co/GgQWuQz9ud</a></p>&mdash; Jake Fischer (@JakeLFischer) <a href="https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/1541215181656756228?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 27, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

objective
06-26-2022, 07:31 PM

Chinook's numbers were off because he used deeks' numbers that had Samanic included

mo7888
06-26-2022, 07:32 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">San Antonio and Atlanta remain engaged on trade conversations regarding a larger deal centered around Dejounte Murray and John Collins, sources said. <br><br>We’ll get into all the trade and free agency scuttle with <a href="https://twitter.com/BigWos?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BigWos</a> tomorrow at 7:30pm ET on <a href="https://twitter.com/getcallin?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@getcallin</a>:<a href="https://t.co/GgQWuQz9ud">https://t.co/GgQWuQz9ud</a></p>&mdash; Jake Fischer (@JakeLFischer) <a href="https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/1541215181656756228?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 27, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's interesting....

Ariel
06-26-2022, 07:36 PM

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/1541215181656756228

Chinook
06-26-2022, 07:43 PM
Weiskamp is on an NBA contract, and m pretty sure he’d rather be released than go back on a 2 way.

Pretty sure he's not. He got signed to a one-year deal after his conversion. He was only signed for one year anyway as far as I know, so he's still an RFA. I have to admit info on exactly his contracts and those of the other two-way guys were structured.

vy65
06-26-2022, 08:28 PM
Trading Murray doesn't jive - it's hard to understand the FO sending away the teams leader and source of stability, especially if Pop has 1 year left in him.

slick'81
06-26-2022, 08:31 PM
Trading Murray doesn't jive - it's hard to understand the FO sending away the teams leader and source of stability, especially if Pop has 1 year left in him.

this is all assuming Dejounte still wants to be here

Spurs Homer
06-26-2022, 08:33 PM
lololol @ pop retiring in one year!

exstatic
06-26-2022, 08:35 PM
Pretty sure he's not. He got signed to a one-year deal after his conversion. He was only signed for one year anyway as far as I know, so he's still an RFA. I have to admit info on exactly his contracts and those of the other two-way guys were structured.

Technically, for 4 days, he’s on an NBA contract, and likely would be too jazzed to step back into a 2way

spurraider21
06-26-2022, 08:48 PM
Yeah i don’t get trading murray unless we get that holiday type package. But i really don’t get trading for Collins if we’re taking that approach.

Chinook
06-26-2022, 09:08 PM
Technically, for 4 days, he’s on an NBA contract, and likely would be too jazzed to step back into a 2way

I was on my phone (and can't edit), but what meant was that I think he signed a one-year two-way deal in the first place. So once this year runs out, he's an RFA and has to have a new contract -- whether one way or two. If he signed a two-year contract, then the reversion might matter (EDIT: I actually checked this, and the reversion actually lasts for the rest of the contract, not just the rest of the year. There's no going back to a two-way automatically for him). I wouldn't actually be surprised if he did sign another two-way contract. His stock wasn't that high in the first place. If the team wants him, I fully expect him back on a most an X-10 deal.

BatManu20
06-26-2022, 09:19 PM
Trading Dejounte makes no sense unless Collins is being re-routed to another team for more draft capital. If we trade DJ straight up for Collins and a couple picks, I’ll fucking hate it. I already don’t like Collins as it is, but he’s still decent enough to keep us from being a bottom-5 team and giving us a chance at the #1 pick, which would be the only real reason you trade DJ. So giving up our best player for a shittier one and a couple mid-late draft picks makes no sense to me. Hopefully PATFO are smarter than than, though I don’t have nearly as much confidence in them as I once did.

Mugen
06-26-2022, 09:24 PM
Trading Dejounte after the year he had would be so fucking dumb, would be on brand for an organization that hasn't picked a direction since Kawhi shook them to their core :lol

Chinook
06-26-2022, 09:26 PM
The Spurs aren't going to tank. They just aren't. Trading Murray is no different than trading Kawhi. The Spurs have a lot of young guys they're going to try to develop, and while I think they're planning to do that in presence of Murray, they might not be. I do think they'd try to route Collins elsewhere, but just as with Murray, they'd need to get what they want for him. Otherwise, the team could use him to help develop the many young guards on the roster. Replacing Murray wouldn't be easy, but it would be possible if they play the free-agent game over the next few years. Ultimately, they're trying to solve a puzzle, not open a lock. There isn't one correct action to take.

Mugen
06-26-2022, 09:28 PM
this is all assuming Dejounte still wants to be here

If that's true, that means the last two All Stars this organization has had would have wanted out. At that point, you gotta hope for some type of relocation or pray to god that Pop finally stops holding this team hostage and walks off into the sunset.

Good luck to this organization ever sniffing relevancy again if they managed to piss off Murray too tbh :lol

Fazzlaa
06-26-2022, 09:29 PM
Are these unprotected? Can we have Kispert instead of Avdija?

What about all three of our recent picks?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWNn_ykXoAE_wfb?format=jpg&name=large

mo7888
06-26-2022, 09:31 PM
What about all three of our recent picks?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWNn_ykXoAE_wfb?format=jpg&name=large

Lol... no

Fazzlaa
06-26-2022, 09:33 PM
Lol... no

Those 3 and two unprotected picks?

The Wiz fan base is so desperate. Look at Wizards twitter. :lol

CGD
06-26-2022, 09:34 PM
The Spurs aren't going to tank. They just aren't. Trading Murray is no different than trading Kawhi. The Spurs have a lot of young guys they're going to try to develop, and while I think they're planning to do that in presence of Murray, they might not be. I do think they'd try to route Collins elsewhere, but just as with Murray, they'd need to get what they want for him. Otherwise, the team could use him to help develop the many young guards on the roster. Replacing Murray wouldn't be easy, but it would be possible if they play the free-agent game over the next few years. Ultimately, they're trying to solve a puzzle, not open a lock. There isn't one correct action to take.

Totally get it, but no need to limit themselves to ATL if they opt to move DJ. Washington, Knicks among teams with better offerings than taking on 4 more years of Collins.

Dejounte
06-26-2022, 09:39 PM

The Spurs fan base is desperate. Folks here want to trade DJ :lmao

folks want to keep pushing back the Spurs’ timeline to relevancy. Any day anyone of us could pass away. Tbh I’m not going to wait another five years to see the Spurs compete. I could go next year or the year after next. And these Spurs aren’t as far away as people think.

CGD
06-26-2022, 09:40 PM

Closer. On the picks, one would be your unprotected 2023 FRP for sections 1-14 (I know Knicks own 15-30), and if it doesn’t covey, then unprotected in 2024.

And, boy, I feel terrible for you all for management poised to give Beal that awful deal.

RC_Drunkford
06-26-2022, 09:42 PM

folks want to keep pushing back the Spurs’ timeline to relevancy. Any day anyone of us could pass away. Tbh I’m not going to wait another five years to see the Spurs compete. I could go next year or the year after next. And these Spurs aren’t as far away as people think.

yeah I don‘t get that either. Makes 0 sense to me with all the youth we already have on the team to trade our 2 PGs away within 5 months

Dejounte
06-26-2022, 09:44 PM
https://twitter.com/thetyjager/status/1541234414851686400?s

https://twitter.com/josh810/status/1541236158188888065?s

KobesAchilles
06-26-2022, 09:47 PM

To competing or making the playoffs? Bc if you’re talking about competing then we are a long ways away. If you’re talking about 6-8th seed then I agree we aren’t that far away. But us winning 55+ games, that is 5 years away at this rate.

hombre
06-26-2022, 09:51 PM
Fuck the idea of trading DJ. It’s a bullshit idea, unless he’s asking out, then fuck him.

Dejounte
06-26-2022, 09:56 PM
To competing or making the playoffs? Bc if you’re talking about competing then we are a long ways away. If you’re talking about 6-8th seed then I agree we aren’t that far away. But us winning 55+ games, that is 5 years away at this rate.

Not gonna get into all that. All I’ll say is that development is ripe for guys like Keldon or Vassell to take the next leap, and the perception of the team’s ceiling hinges on that leap which we will only see once the season begins.

lmbebo
06-26-2022, 09:57 PM
If they get a haul for him, sure. But not giving him away

BatManu20
06-26-2022, 10:03 PM
Dejounte seems thrilled about the potential trade reports.

https://i.postimg.cc/j20RGbVM/9-F3-EE6-A9-AD36-4-E31-AA81-EBC640285-A7-D.jpg

Degoat
06-26-2022, 10:04 PM
^ Idk that could be about anything Imo, he’s always posting stuff like that on Instagram lol

TimmehC
06-26-2022, 10:11 PM
Yeah, that's just a normal Dejounte post. *If* DJ is to be traded, it's probably best to wait until the Brunson and Beal situations are settled. That way you can pit multiple bidders against each other.

Mr. Body
06-26-2022, 10:13 PM
It's completely stupid to let these rumors circulate. It's going to hurt team chemistry and if the risk is Murray leaving in a couple of years it practically ensures it.

My guess is ATL was asking around, the Spurs were feeling out getting high in the lottery this year, ATL has been desperate to get rid of J. Collins, and so they started leaking rumors to force something to happen.

If the FO doesn't nip this shit in the bud it might get bad.

Degoat
06-26-2022, 10:20 PM
It's completely stupid to let these rumors circulate. It's going to hurt team chemistry and if the risk is Murray leaving in a couple of years it practically ensures it.

My guess is ATL was asking around, the Spurs were feeling out getting high in the lottery this year, ATL has been desperate to get rid of J. Collins, and so they started leaking rumors to force something to happen.

Yup pretty much how I think it happened as well. Hawks probably offered a rich package that they thought the spurs wouldn’t be able to refuse and the spurs probably asked for more and they decided to leak it to pressure the spurs. It’s definitely peculiar tho

Dejounte
06-26-2022, 10:28 PM
Just because they didn’t nip it in the bud in public doesnt mean they didnt.

Degoat
06-26-2022, 10:31 PM
Trae Young liked DJs last Twitter pic…..

MultiTroll
06-26-2022, 10:32 PM
Just because they didn’t nip it in the bud in public doesnt mean they didnt.
This.
The rumors are going to be publicized no matter what.

KobesAchilles
06-26-2022, 10:33 PM
Not gonna get into all that. All I’ll say is that development is ripe for guys like Keldon or Vassell to take the next leap, and the perception of the team’s ceiling hinges on that leap which we will only see once the season begins.
I’m low on the KJ development and it has nothing to do with him and everything to do with Pop. If Pop is gonna keep having him as our starting PF then he is doing him a disservice and whatever development he does make will wear down as the season winds on bc the damage to his body will climb.

Vassell is a different case and I’m high on him becoming a 15 point a night guy this season. Like I see DJ hovering around 20 with both KJ and Vassell averaging 15. Poeltl giving us 11. And other guys kinda just rounding out the team. But the thing is I don’t believe we have a franchise player on our roster. And that is going to keep us from competing. I can’t remember too many title winners that didn’t have a top 3 player in the league besides us on 14, Dirk in 11, and Detroit in 04.

Ariel
06-26-2022, 10:33 PM
Also, Dejounte seems to be really involved with the Spurs future, calling the recent draftees to welcome them (at least Sochan said he called him, I assume he did the same with the other 2), and pimping his buddy Lavine to the Spurs... you wouldn't think he'd give a crap if he knew he's being shopped around. Doesn't add up.

mystargtr34
06-26-2022, 11:12 PM
I do think Dejounte and Trae are a good fit together in the backcourt. Atlanta desperatey needs defense on the perimeter and a second creator. Dejounte fills both needs. He can easily guard 2's and/or the best backcourt player on the other team while you hide Trae on the lesser of the two. So, I think Atlanta is willing to give up a lot to get him. But I'm still not sure Capela-Hunter-Huerter-Dejounte-Trae gets you past the Bucks, Celtics or Heat out East. They could beat any other team in the East though.

What I am curious about from a Spurs perspective, what else do the Spurs get along with Collins if they do send Dejounte there. I view Collins as only a slightly net positive asset because of his contract. Dude still has 4 years $102 million left on his deal starting next season and hasn't proven to be worth any where near that. So how much do the Hawks have to give up to meet fair value for Dejounte. I think its at least Collins + 3 unprotected 1sts, or Collins + AJ Griffin + 2 unprotected 1sts. Or if the Spurs are trying to win now and have other moves in the pipeline (Ayton), then they might want Collins, AJ Griffin, Bogdanovic and a 1st and send back McDermott and/or Richardson along with Dejounte.

Hawks 1sts would probably only amount to picks in the 15-25 range as they'd make the playoffs in the East. How much value do those picks have?

TD 21
06-26-2022, 11:21 PM
Yup pretty much how I think it happened as well. Hawks probably offered a rich package that they thought the spurs wouldn’t be able to refuse and the spurs probably asked for more and they decided to leak it to pressure the spurs. It’s definitely peculiar tho

This would jive with Wojnarowski, who rarely attaches timelines to rumors, claiming Collins was almost certain to be traded before the draft and now the Kings have presumably moved on, so there doesn't appear to be a trade for him.

Spurs doing "intel" on Collins while trading Murray (creating a gaping hole at PG) makes no sense as is, particularly on the heels of drafting a PF 9th, nor does getting a bunch of middling picks from the Hawks alongside.

T Park
06-26-2022, 11:28 PM
I really don’t know how the Spurs can nip trade rumors in the bud. Only thing you can do is be honest with Dejounte and say “we don’t want to trade you, all we’ve done is said, if you want him, you’ve gotta pay this big package”

Outside of that, the spurs don’t need to do shit other than we don’t speak about bullshit on Twitter.

Degoat
06-26-2022, 11:31 PM
What’s funny about this whole thing too, every rumor has been from Jake Fischer, others have “confirmed these rumors.” But has this Jake Fischer ever reported something that actually happened? I don’t think so lol

Mr. Body
06-26-2022, 11:58 PM
I really don’t know how the Spurs can nip trade rumors in the bud. Only thing you can do is be honest with Dejounte and say “we don’t want to trade you, all we’ve done is said, if you want him, you’ve gotta pay this big package”

Outside of that, the spurs don’t need to do shit other than we don’t speak about bullshit on Twitter.

Easy, just publicly state that he's not on the auction block in some manner. Except the Spurs don't speak that way sometimes to detriment.

Mr. Body
06-27-2022, 12:05 AM
This continues to read as the Hawks trying to create a market for a player who is drawing tepid interest. Weren't they doing this before? I can't remember shit due to covid but they've been trying to dump Collins since they signed him and claiming that teams were interested in him.

slick'81
06-27-2022, 12:07 AM
Yea i dont buy any of this bs. If the hawks wanted him they'd already paid the piper

T Park
06-27-2022, 12:32 AM
Easy, just publicly state that he's not on the auction block in some manner. Except the Spurs don't speak that way sometimes to detriment.

But why do that to the public? What happens if you have that attitude but then someone does bring a godfather trade and you have to take it? There’s zero upside in commenting stupid Twitter shit. You talk to your player, keep him abreast, other than, run the damn club.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-27-2022, 01:01 AM
I don't see why STers should have a problem with the team gauging DJ's value, or anyone else's tbh. There isn't a single player on the roster who's untradeable, it's exactly what they should be doing. Doesn't mean they're shopping anyone, it means they're picking up the phone and listening.

This is a smart thing to do because he'll technically be extension eligible. It doesn't mean they'll trade him for John Collins and a couple of late firsts, but considering the interest from a lot of teams they could get a godfather type offer. It also shows that despite of everyone knowing they're not going to tank, they also have different roads they might take in the offseason, one of which could be taking a step back and building around the younger core.

dokdok
06-27-2022, 02:14 AM
I don't see why STers should have a problem with the team gauging DJ's value, or anyone else's tbh. There isn't a single player on the roster who's untradeable, it's exactly what they should be doing. Doesn't mean they're shopping anyone, it means they're picking up the phone and listening.

This is a smart thing to do because he'll technically be extension eligible. It doesn't mean they'll trade him for John Collins and a couple of late firsts, but considering the interest from a lot of teams they could get a godfather type offer. It also shows that despite of everyone knowing they're not going to tank, they also have different roads they might take in the offseason, one of which could be taking a step back and building around the younger core.

I guess the main reason why people have a problem in the first place is to Spurs fans Dejounte has a higher value to us from a sentimental point of view. He stayed with us during the Kawhi saga and took over. Of course it is ok to gauge his value on the open market but the fact that most of the noise is around DJ is a bit disheartening. I agree with you that absolutely we should see what DJ's value is out there and if we get an offer that blows us away we should take it. I just wish we were looking at gauging the market of other players on our team and improving other parts of our roster instead trading the one guy who has shown loyalty to us and developed well.

slick'81
06-27-2022, 02:32 AM
I guess the main reason why people have a problem in the first place is to Spurs fans Dejounte has a higher value to us from a sentimental point of view. He stayed with us during the Kawhi saga and took over. Of course it is ok to gauge his value on the open market but the fact that most of the noise is around DJ is a bit disheartening. I agree with you that absolutely we should see what DJ's value is out there and if we get an offer that blows us away we should take it. I just wish we were looking at gauging the market of other players on our team and improving other parts of our roster instead trading the one guy who has shown loyalty to us and developed well.

i highly doubt murray will fetch the jrue holiday deal. Still ,stranger things have happened i guess

KingKev
06-27-2022, 03:12 AM
https://twitter.com/thetyjager/status/1541234414851686400?s

https://twitter.com/josh810/status/1541236158188888065?s

This. This was my immediate thought process when the rumours started swirling last week.

slick'81
06-27-2022, 03:17 AM
Jake fischer :lol

RC_Drunkford
06-27-2022, 03:58 AM

Yeah I think so too. Spurs were just setting a high asking price, just to see if somebody was willing to pay that. They are probably also interested in adding Collins while keeping DJ, so that's why they are talking

exstatic
06-27-2022, 08:23 AM
But why do that to the public? What happens if you have that attitude but then someone does bring a godfather trade and you have to take it? There’s zero upside in commenting stupid Twitter shit. You talk to your player, keep him abreast, other than, run the damn club.

DeRozan was FURIOUS at Masai for assuring him he wouldn’t be traded, and then trading him. You can tell the player that they’re not being shopped. Unless you have a big three, everyone is tradeable for the right price.

AFBlue
06-27-2022, 08:50 AM
Is the Don Harris tweet pre-draft where he says the ATL thing is "dead" part of the Spurs publicly nipping this in the bud? Are we sure this thing is still a thing, or could it be this guy continuing to milk the rumor for attention?

buttsR4rebounding
06-27-2022, 08:56 AM
I see where DJ was working out 30 minutes from the Hawks facility on Saturday.

timtonymanu
06-27-2022, 09:06 AM
Lol I doubt DJ cares that much. He’s far from untouchable too. The Spurs shouldn’t have to go out of their way to protect him.