PDA

View Full Version : In the end, Murray was not a culture fit

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dejounte
06-29-2022, 08:48 PM
Debate will go on and on about how if Murray was worth building a team around. We will not know for certain until maybe half a decade later. Fact is: the Spurs didn’t believe it. I don’t think we have to look at his individual performance and assess whether or not he could have elevated his game more or if it was possible for the team to raise its ceiling while paying him a max contract. I think the answer is simpler than that. With the Spurs, it has always been about culture. I’ve been on record saying DJ was a ticking time bomb. Even during when I supported his rise, I held the same belief. It’s known he’s had a rough childhood, and that has led him to have trust issues as an adult and random outbursts on social media or at times on the court. These are not things I held against him. He is human, after all, and we all go through shit. The problem is when it affects his ability to lead. Those trust issues? -Crept into not seeking mentorship more from the Big Three. If anyone noticed, DJ and Parker have this weird relationship where they only acknowledge each other when they have to. -He did not truly take Primo under his wing. I paid attention to these two throughout last season, and while there are some photos of Murray talking to Primo on the floor, he would post a cryptic message the next day about how people “need to stay in their lane”. -Speaking of those cryptic messages— imagine if the leader of the team was constantly posting about the people who are “real” to him and everyone else is fake. That shit is toxic as fuck. Murray was always insecure, and maybe that motivated him big time to become a star but it’s a serious character flaw. I always thought Murray would grow out of it eventually as the years go by and that he would retire as a Spur. I thought that by the end of his career, he would be grateful about how the Spurs molded him into a great person. I think the Spurs still did end up doing that. He forgave his father recently and that was no small thing. Forgiving someone who hurt you is probably one of the most mature and most difficult thing one can do. And Murray did that. I’m proud of him. The Spurs made a decision today. A decision that was probably brewing for awhile. The team now has players who seemingly have no troubled past. I think trading Murray allows someone else more equipped to take the leadership role. Someone else who will be more inclusive and accepts people for who they are. Everyone knows we need it. I’m excited to find out who that will be.

Dejounte
06-29-2022, 08:52 PM
Holy mother of wall of text. That did not format correctly. I even previewed the changes and it didn’t look like that. Here it is again:

Debate will go on and on about how if Murray was worth building a team around. We will not know for certain until maybe half a decade later.

Fact is: the Spurs didn’t believe it.
Why?
I don’t think we have to look at his individual performance and assess whether or not he could have elevated his game more or if it was possible for the team to raise its ceiling while paying him a max contract. I think the answer is simpler than that. With the Spurs, it has always been about culture. I’ve been on record saying DJ was a ticking time bomb. Even during when I supported his rise, I held the same belief. It’s known he’s had a rough childhood, and that has led him to have trust issues as an adult and random outbursts on social media or at times on the court. These are not things I held against him. He is human, after all, and we all go through shit. The problem is when it affects his ability to lead.

Those trust issues?
-Crept into not seeking mentorship more from the Big Three. If anyone noticed, DJ and Parker have this weird relationship where they only acknowledge each other when they have to.
-He did not truly take Primo under his wing. I paid attention to these two throughout last season, and while there are some photos of Murray talking to Primo on the floor, he would post a cryptic message the next day about how people “need to stay in their lane”.
-Speaking of those cryptic messages— imagine if the leader of the team was constantly posting about the people who are “real” to him and everyone else is fake. That shit is toxic as fuck. Murray was always insecure, and maybe that motivated him big time to become a star but it’s a serious character flaw. I always thought Murray would grow out of it eventually as the years go by and that he would retire as a Spur. I thought that by the end of his career, he would be grateful about how the Spurs molded him into a great person. I think the Spurs still did end up doing that. He forgave his father recently and that was no small thing. Forgiving someone who hurt you is probably one of the most mature and most difficult thing one can do. And Murray did that. I’m proud of him.

The Spurs made a decision today. A decision that was probably brewing for awhile. The team now has players who seemingly have no troubled past. I think trading Murray allows someone else more equipped to take the leadership role. Someone else who will be more inclusive and accepts people for who they are. Everyone knows we need it.

I’m excited to find out who that will be.

Dejounte
06-29-2022, 08:55 PM
FUCK the inability to edit posts now :lmao

BatManu20
06-29-2022, 08:58 PM
This whole site is functioning like it’s Windows ‘98 right now tbh.

offset formation
06-29-2022, 08:59 PM
Let me go on record saying I'm a proponent of this trade unlike some others who are upset. And I get people being upset cause DJ was one of us. But we simply weren't going anywhere with him as the lead.

Now I will add this caveat...I'm only down with the tank if Pop will actually play the young kids. If not, fuck him and this was a terrible idea.

BackHome
06-29-2022, 09:47 PM
I am down with that but who every he plays if they are winning sub their ass..lol

Dejounte
06-29-2022, 09:57 PM
Btw, “was not a culture fit to lead” is what I meant

and i also think the trade was made not for the Spurs to tank but to avoid commitment and remain flexible. People will be so disappointed if the Spurs don’t have a losing record this season which I think there IS a chance to happen. The Spurs won’t try to lose. They will be taught to remain competitive.

Chinook
06-29-2022, 10:00 PM
I do think the team was going to have to find a better player than Murray if they were going to be a contender, and I didn't know if he'd be able to accept that. We'll get a sense of that when we see him with Young. The Hawks don't need Murray to be a true star. They need him to play a role and raise their floor and ceiling. Can he handle potentially jockeying with Collins for second place in touches? I'm not going to go into my innate skepticism about Murray's demeanor much here. I've put those thoughts down plenty over the years. I think trading him was the best thing for his development, though. He doesn't feel the pressure to be the guy in Atlanta, nor does he feel compelled to stay. Hopefully he doesn't blow up and self-destruct as a person. He seems like a good dude who's been through a lot, and he deserves to reap the benefits of his hard work.

I don't know that it's a goal of the Spurs to not have any troubled players on their team. I think they want a good culture and locker room, but I don't think that's something that has to come from skeleton-less closets. I think Lonnie's a great example of that. I have my suspicions that DJM was't the locker-room favorite, but it takes all kinds. Iron sharpens iron, and tumbled stones polish each other smooth.

ducks
06-29-2022, 10:04 PM
Yeah he was a Republican not a donkey

Dejounte
06-29-2022, 10:05 PM
I do think the team was going to have to find a better player than Murray if they were going to be a contender, and I didn't know if he'd be able to accept that. We'll get a sense of that when we see him with Young. The Hawks don't need Murray to be a true star. They need him to play a role and raise their floor and ceiling. Can he handle potentially jockeying with Collins for second place in touches? I'm not going to go into my innate skepticism about Murray's demeanor much here. I've put those thoughts down plenty over the years. I think trading him was the best thing for his development, though. He doesn't feel the pressure to be the guy in Atlanta, nor does he feel compelled to stay. Hopefully he doesn't blow up and self-destruct as a person. He seems like a good dude who's been through a lot, and he deserves to reap the benefits of his hard work.

I don't know that it's a goal of the Spurs to not have any troubled players on their team. I think they want a good culture and locker room, but I don't think that's something that has to come from skeleton-less closets. I think Lonnie's a great example of that. I have my suspicions that DJM was't the locker-room favorite, but it takes all kinds. Iron sharpens iron, and tumbled stones polish each other smooth.

Got my post in before yours. I knew it was coming. Yes, I don’t think the goal is for the Spurs to have a team of scholarboys. I meant that maybe they’re looking for that type for a leader though.

Dejounte
06-29-2022, 10:06 PM
When Brian Wright said after the draft they “don’t try to gamble with character”, I felt it validated my thinking on this subject.

spurraider21
06-29-2022, 10:09 PM
Had nothing to do with culture. We couldn’t have asked for a better personality than Dejounte tbh

Mnky
06-29-2022, 10:35 PM
Had nothing to do with culture. We couldn’t have asked for a better personality than Dejounte tbh

tonight...you
06-29-2022, 10:39 PM
Yeah he was a Republican not a donkey
What is wrong with you?

poopbox
06-29-2022, 10:45 PM
All this "culture fit" shit is just what weak pussy ass managers and leaders do when they don't have the ability to resolve conflict. They seek out this environment where everyone is part of some "culture" and thus try to make it so there is no conflict and then they themselves never have to do what is part of a manager / leaders job, which is resolving conflict, getting buy in, etc...

KD didn't fit the warriors culture, to the point that him and draymond damn near got in a fight. But Kerr is a strong leader so they got 2 chips out of it anyway.

The last dance showed that everyone hated Mike and Mike hated everyone. Phil is a dumbass when it comes to basketball but he is a fucking master at managing ego's. So he got 6 rings out of them. Kobe and Shaq hated each other but Phil squeezed 3 rings out of them as well.

Lebron wanted Spoelstra flat out fired when he got to Miami. Wanted Riley to come coach the team cause he had all the championship equity. Riley told him nope Spoelstra aint going nowhere so get with the fucking program. They got 2 rings out of it and Spo is a made man in Miami.

Dejounte grinded his way up from the 29th pick to an nba all star. When the corpse of tony parker was out here scoring 6 points a game he was a good soldier and sucked it up. When LMA, Dejounte, Rudy, and Marco, and Patty, were chucking for their last big nba paydays Dejounte was a good soldier.

I don't get all of this "Can Murray handle sharing touches with blah blah blah"...uh John Collins shoots the ball 12 times a game so its not like he james fucking harden...and Murray is a guy who spent 3 years surrounded by straight up chuckers at the end of their careers.

Now people taking his social media post and making up whatever they want out of it. Can you name a player who DOESNT post cryptic shit on social media. Draymond got a whole fucking podcast saying all types of wild shit and Golden State is doing just fine. KD has one of the wildest online persona's you will ever see and he is literally the only player doing his job in Brooklyn. Ja Morant is online talking like he some real thug ass gravedigga for real and there might not be a team or a single player with more upside to them than the him and the Grizzlies. But Dejounte is some sort of villian cause he post "you can't trust fake people" on the internet? What?

I saw Sochan said Dejounte had already reached out to him and welcomed him to San Antonio. I don't see where he said Primo did the same. Let me get my pitch fork out and start talking about how it aint no way Primo can ever be a leader because I have not heard one thing about him reaching out to our number 9 draft pick. Fucking trade this toxic cancer right now before he does more damaged to the 3 impressionable young minds we just drafted. Who cares if he isn't old enough to drink a beer, get him out of here.

bdictjames
06-29-2022, 10:48 PM
DJ did his best.

If we had Duncan, or Manu, or Tony, this wouldn't be a problem, as there were leaders in the team that could keep DJ accountable.

DJ as a leader had a ceiling.. and he is too turnover-prone as the #1 option. He's best suited as a #3 option at the best. But he has a lot of tools to be a great, great NBA player and defender in this league.

I just hope our front office know what they're doing. It doesn't seem to make sense these last few years. Well really, ever since Presti stepped out.

ginobilized
06-29-2022, 11:02 PM
Holy mother of wall of text. That did not format correctly. I even previewed the changes and it didn’t look like that. Here it is again:

Debate will go on and on about how if Murray was worth building a team around. We will not know for certain until maybe half a decade later.

Why?
I don’t think we have to look at his individual performance and assess whether or not he could have elevated his game more or if it was possible for the team to raise its ceiling while paying him a max contract. I think the answer is simpler than that. With the Spurs, it has always been about culture. I’ve been on record saying DJ was a ticking time bomb. Even during when I supported his rise, I held the same belief. It’s known he’s had a rough childhood, and that has led him to have trust issues as an adult and random outbursts on social media or at times on the court. These are not things I held against him. He is human, after all, and we all go through shit. The problem is when it affects his ability to lead.

Those trust issues?
-Crept into not seeking mentorship more from the Big Three. If anyone noticed, DJ and Parker have this weird relationship where they only acknowledge each other when they have to.
-He did not truly take Primo under his wing. I paid attention to these two throughout last season, and while there are some photos of Murray talking to Primo on the floor, he would post a cryptic message the next day about how people “need to stay in their lane”.
-Speaking of those cryptic messages— imagine if the leader of the team was constantly posting about the people who are “real” to him and everyone else is fake. That shit is toxic as fuck. Murray was always insecure, and maybe that motivated him big time to become a star but it’s a serious character flaw. I always thought Murray would grow out of it eventually as the years go by and that he would retire as a Spur. I thought that by the end of his career, he would be grateful about how the Spurs molded him into a great person. I think the Spurs still did end up doing that. He forgave his father recently and that was no small thing. Forgiving someone who hurt you is probably one of the most mature and most difficult thing one can do. And Murray did that. I’m proud of him.

The Spurs made a decision today. A decision that was probably brewing for awhile. The team now has players who seemingly have no troubled past. I think trading Murray allows someone else more equipped to take the leadership role. Someone else who will be more inclusive and accepts people for who they are. Everyone knows we need it.

Very insightful, Dejounte. I can see a lot of truth in these perspectives. DJ's in-game blowups were always a concern to me. I remember him yelling act Pop and having some serious mental lapses in crunch time situations. I sensed the writing might be on the wall.
He was a great find and has developed into a rare player. He still has room to grow and it seems that both sides have handled this well.....so far. There may be some Twitter and IG posts that are regrettable coming soon. Even if that happens, I see DJ's life greatly improved by being part of the Spurs and I seem being deeply committed to his growth as a player and maximizing his potential of reaching his ceiling. Win-win.

One question.......are you keeping your moniker?

Dejounte
06-29-2022, 11:48 PM
^DJ paved the way for the future so I dont see why not tbh

daslicer
06-29-2022, 11:52 PM
:lol At DJ not wanting Parker to be his mentor. I'm not sure if there are many guys who would want Tony to mentor them knowing his character.

Mikesatx
06-30-2022, 12:36 AM
Talking about his character or leadership ability is silly. How the hell do you really know. I enjoyed watching him play and develope into the player he is. I agree that he isn’t the guy to build a team around. I think it really just comes down to that. When his contract is up he would have been deserving of a max or close to max deal. That would have resulted in 7-10th seeds for the next decade. The Spurs aren’t going to land top tier free agents so the only hope is the draft. They did the right thing. Last thing, all this Pop hate, I don’t care for some of the stuff he says or does but the guy can coach and he brings stability to the team. When he does decide to retire he will be missed.

KingKev
06-30-2022, 02:02 AM
Fk Sours culture. It's gotten rediculous. There is a reason literally no one with any success wants to play here.

spurraider21
06-30-2022, 02:12 AM
DJ did his best.

If we had Duncan, or Manu, or Tony, this wouldn't be a problem, as there were leaders in the team that could keep DJ accountable.

DJ as a leader had a ceiling.. and he is too turnover-prone as the #1 option. He's best suited as a #3 option at the best. But he has a lot of tools to be a great, great NBA player and defender in this league.

I just hope our front office know what they're doing. It doesn't seem to make sense these last few years. Well really, ever since Presti stepped out.
Murray had a 3.5 assist/turnover ratio which is outstanding tbh

4lifecowboy
06-30-2022, 02:17 AM
The truth is Murray's ceiling is the third best player on a championship level team. They knew his ceiling, why hold on when him being the best player on the roster would lead him to expect max level compensation. Wasn't a long term fit, timing wise. You wouldn't be able to build a title contending team if they had to max Murray to keep him.

tbdog
06-30-2022, 03:19 AM
Spurs couldn't offer him an extension that he was worth. And Klutch would want a max. So for the spurs to offer him the max, they'll have to let him become unrestricted. It was the right time to trade him. 2 years left on his contract. Hawks could risk losing him or having to over pay him.

KingKev
06-30-2022, 03:23 AM
Spurs couldn't offer him an extension that he was worth. And Klutch would want a max. So for the spurs to offer him the max, they'll have to let him become unrestricted. It was the right time to trade him. 2 years left on his contract. Hawks could risk losing him or having to over pay him.

We had at least another year to determine his value.

This trade will be easier to swallow if they are actually committed to tanking. We’d be naive to think that is a given. We also likely just ate 15-20mm in Galo just to buy him out.

The Janitor
06-30-2022, 03:39 AM
MAXIMUM COPIUM

KingKev
06-30-2022, 03:49 AM
I agree with basically everything Dejounte (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=51342) especially that this is not really about tanking.

This move would have been easier to stomach with a clear indication of tanking but I think we will see in the coming weeks PATFO will make moves to make this team more competitive in the short term.

I personally have little attachment to this organization after near 30 years of fandom. The culture BS is now more important than winning.

tbdog
06-30-2022, 04:21 AM

This trade will be easier to swallow if they are actually committed to tanking. We’d be naive to think that is a given. We also likely just ate 15-20mm in Galo just to buy him out.

What? No. Spurs can only offer an extension with a percentage increase on his current deal. I think that's percentage is 20%. Which is way under the max. So spurs can offer an extension now but it would be well below the max and his current value. So Murray would not, and the rumour was he said he will not sign the extension. So if the spurs wanted to resign him at his market value, they would need to wait for him to expire. Meaning he becomes unrestricted. Spurs can offer 4+1, where as other teams can offer 3+1. So your either over paying to keep him or letting him go for nothing.

Atlanta now keep his bird rights, so they can offer that 4+1 once his contact expires. So the best time to trade him his now, 2 years left. Teams won't give significant assets for a 1 year expiring on someone they cannot extend. Get me?

KingKev
06-30-2022, 04:25 AM
What? No. Spurs can only offer an extension with a percentage increase on his current deal. I think that's percentage is 20%. Which is way under the max. So spurs can offer an extension now but it would be well below the max and his current value. So Murray would not, and the rumour was he said he will not sign the extension. So if the spurs wanted to resign him at his market value, they would need to wait for him to expire. Meaning he becomes unrestricted. Spurs can offer 4+1, where as other teams can offer 3+1. So your either over paying to keep him or letting him go for nothing.

Atlanta now keep his bird rights, so they can offer that 4+1 once his contact expires. So the best time to trade him his now, 2 years left. Teams won't give significant assets for a 1 year expiring on someone they cannot extend. Get me?

I think you missed understood me.

I’m in agreement his extension amount wasn’t appropriate. It was only like 3yrs 70mm. Klutch were spot on advising him not to entertain that as his market value is much higher.

I’m saying DJ was locked in for two more years. We could have seen how next season went before deciding whether he is a major flight risk who would inevitably require a max deal.

FlAVaK
06-30-2022, 04:54 AM
What is wrong with you?

A lot. Probably everything...

RC_Drunkford
06-30-2022, 05:36 AM

Why?

Those trust issues?

somebody really has to explain to me why Spurs fans always come up with science fiction stories. "something happened in the locker room" "his posts on IG pissed off the FO" fuck outtahere. They talked to him about an extension and DJ rightfully said no. He also said he won't resign next year either, which makes sense because you can only give him a little raise and he would be severly underpaid which he is already. (this was reported by Windhorst)

The Spurs did what they always do: They penny pinch. And they realized they don't want to pay him max money nor lose him for nothing so they traded him. Besides that they also know this is the right draft to tank for a franchise player and the one at the top of the list is from France and played for Tony's team so it makes even more sense, since he would probably embrace getting drafted by the Spurs because of their history with international/french players.

As far as character there are 0 issues with DJ. He loves San Antonio, is a natural leader, is coachable, plays D, holds himself accountable, welcomes the rookies and has always been loyal to the organization. This guy didn't ask to get traded. They had those extension convos, the Spurs then listened to offers and when things got close with Atlanta they informed him and asked him if he would be ok with a trade to ATL to play with Trae. DJ and Trae then talked to each other and they were already boys anyway going back to the All-Star game.

All that other stuff y'all be making up is nonsense

KingKev
06-30-2022, 05:43 AM
somebody really has to explain to me why Spurs fans always come up with science fiction stories. "something happened in the locker room" "his posts on IG pissed off the FO" fuck outtahere. They talked to him about an extension and DJ rightfully said no. He also said he won't resign next year either, which makes sense because you can only give him a little raise and he would be severly underpaid which he is already. (this was reported by Windhorst)

The Spurs did what they always do: They penny pinch. And they realized they don't want to pay him max money nor lose him for nothing so they traded him. Besides that they also know this is the right draft to tank for a franchise player and the one at the top of the list is from France and played for Tony's team so it makes even more sense, since he would probably embrace getting drafted by the Spurs because of their history with international/french players.

As far as character there are 0 issues with DJ. He loves San Antonio, is a natural leader, is coachable, plays D, holds himself accountable, welcomes the rookies and has always been loyal to the organization. This guy didn't ask to get traded. They had those extension convos, the Spurs then listened to offers and when things got close with Atlanta they informed him and asked him if he would be ok with a trade to ATL to play with Trae. DJ and Trae then talked to each other and they were already boys anyway going back to the All-Star game.

I agree with alot of the above you posted also but you can’t convince me PATFO weren’t growing weary of some of the twitter stuff and DJ coming into his own as a household name with some pep in his step.

When you get over yourself, PATFO expect you to stay over yourself and the cultural component definitely made it easier for them to ring the till on DJ.

Dejounte
06-30-2022, 09:56 AM

My post will be easy to validate in the coming months when we find out if the Spurs make some win-now moves in free agency and trades. Let’s see how they spend their cap space.

btw, thanks for all the opinions thus far. The topic was controversial and I know it.

poopbox
06-30-2022, 10:02 AM
Reading all this stuff about Murray extension, I REALLY hope the Spurs did NOT go to a guy who just played the best basketball of his career which put him on the trajectory of being a max player, and actually try to talk to him about an extension that would financially pay him the least amount of money he can make in the future. No one is signing an extension like that after being a first time all star. No agent is letting their client sign that contract. If Dejounte had said yes to that Klutch would probably just drop him as a client and his agent would be fired.

That's just beyond tone deaf. If it comes out that the spurs even remotely asked Dejounte about an extension just fire everybody, sell the team, and move it to Austin. It's just no way people who work in a setting as high stakes as professional sports could be that fucking dumb to do something like that. If the Spurs did that I bet Dejounte couldn't tell Klutch to get him traded fast enough and I don't blame him.

KingKev
06-30-2022, 10:07 AM
My post will be easy to validate in the coming months when we find out if the Spurs make some win-now moves in free agency and trades. Let’s see how they spend their cap space.

btw, thanks for all the opinions thus far. The topic was controversial and I know it.

Exactly my thought process. Show me this was about the future and they finally have conceded they need to smarten up and play the game properly versus them being cheap and selling high with DJ’s personality pushing them over the top.

There is an popular or unpopular opinion (depending on who you ask) regarding Pop’s perceived ego and narcissism… these next few weeks will be telling… atleast for me anyways in how I view PATFO.

KingKev
06-30-2022, 10:08 AM
Reading all this stuff about Murray extension, I REALLY hope the Spurs did NOT go to a guy who just played the best basketball of his career which put him on the trajectory of being a max player, and actually try to talk to him about an extension that would financially pay him the least amount of money he can make in the future. No one is signing an extension like that after being a first time all star. No agent is letting their client sign that contract. If Dejounte had said yes to that Klutch would probably just drop him as a client and his agent would be fired.

That's just beyond tone deaf. If it comes out that the spurs even remotely asked Dejounte about an extension just fire everybody, sell the team, and move it to Austin. It's just no way people who work in a setting as high stakes as professional sports could be that fucking dumb to do something like that. If the Spurs did that I bet Dejounte couldn't tell Klutch to get him traded fast enough and I don't blame him.

Sadly this is how PATFO operates. Ironic given Pop is being paid beyond his worth.

Dejounte
06-30-2022, 10:19 AM
Exactly my thought process. Show me this was about the future and they finally have conceded they need to smarten up and play the game properly versus them being cheap and selling high with DJ’s personality pushing them over the top.

There is an popular or unpopular opinion (depending on who you ask) regarding Pop’s perceived ego and narcissism… these next few weeks will be telling… atleast for me anyways in how I view PATFO.

the trade can simultaneously still be about the future, just not the immediate future as one may hope and (fairly) expect. I think in the Spurs’ view, the reset button wasn’t pushed by making this trade. They will continue building upon what they currently have and they may believe they can increase their win total this upcoming season and every season after that. The assets gained from the trade will then be extra fuel for a team that’s good already. Think Warriors adding top five pick, Kuminga, while already having good players (and also having salary cap flexibility since they’re likely not to be locked in on huge contracts of Curry or Draymond’s level). Likely not as established as those Warriors, but the point I’m making is that THAT might be the endgame. NOT Wembawhoever.

we will see very soon.

The Truth #6
06-30-2022, 10:22 AM
The culture fit seems very plausible among other factors. I’ve been looking at this through the lens of Brian Wright more and more taking over the team and doing things his way and finding players that he likes. The culture thing is not new but Wright definitely seems to have a personality archetype and DJM is definitely not it.

poopbox
06-30-2022, 10:23 AM
Sadly this is how PATFO operates. Ironic given Pop is being paid beyond his worth.

Yeah as someone who works in upper management in real life, there are some real disturbing trends since the Kawhi debacle of how the Spurs operate that makes me think that if they start the tank they might never stop it. because no free agent that moves the needle will come here and none of the players who are here will stay here.

Just look at the Spurs track record with nba players who are not on a rookie contract.

Kawhi Leonard. Pay me supermax. No? Fine trade me.
Demar Derozan. Pay me the max. No? Sign and trade somewhere else.
Pau Gasol. I want to start. Oh you starting Poeltl? I'm not coming off the bench, trade me.
Lamarcus Aldridge. I want to start. Oh you starting Poeltl? Ok I'll just go home and never play for the Spurs again.
Demarre Carroll. Released and basically said the Spurs lied to him about what his role would be.
Thad Young. Flat out said he wants to play and if the spurs aren't playing him then trade him. Traded. Bonus points for it being phrased as "the spurs traded thad for a1st" where thad asked to be traded in the first place.
Dejounte Murray. No I won't except an extension that pays me the least amount of money I can make. Traded.

baseline bum
06-30-2022, 10:24 AM
This whole site is functioning like it’s Windows ‘95 right now tbh.

fify

tmtcsc
06-30-2022, 10:27 AM
According to Brian Windbag, Dejounte let the team know through Kunt Sports Management that he would not return to the Spurs when his contract was up. That works for me. He had a good season, inflated his value way above what he's worth and the Spurs got a good return. Never was a fan of this kid or his self-promoting bullshit on Instagram but he put in the work and the Spurs will be better for taking a chance on him. He's not a game changer and the Hawks are going to find out what we already know. He talks like an Alpha, acts like an Alpha, but he's doesn't play like one. ZF Given.

tmtcsc
06-30-2022, 10:30 AM
Yeah as someone who works in upper management in real life, there are some real disturbing trends since the Kawhi debacle of how the Spurs operate that makes me think that if they start the tank they might never stop it. because no free agent that moves the needle will come here and none of the players who are here will stay here.

Just look at the Spurs track record with nba players who are not on a rookie contract.

Kawhi Leonard. Pay me supermax. No? Fine trade me.
Demar Derozan. Pay me the max. No? Sign and trade somewhere else.
Pau Gasol. I want to start. Oh you starting Poeltl? I'm not coming off the bench, trade me.
Lamarcus Aldridge. I want to start. Oh you starting Poeltl? Ok I'll just go home and never play for the Spurs again.
Demarre Carroll. Released and basically said the Spurs lied to him about what his role would be.
Thad Young. Flat out said he wants to play and if the spurs aren't playing him then trade him. Traded. Bonus points for it being phrased as "the spurs traded thad for a1st" where thad asked to be traded in the first place.
Dejounte Murray. No I won't except an extension that pays me the least amount of money I can make. Traded.

All those players you listed were pretty much shit except for Kawhi. We all know what kind of clown show he is. Leonard and Gasol are the only ones who ever won a ring. Derozan? We saw firsthand what kind of empty stats he put up.

Dejounte
06-30-2022, 10:38 AM
Still haven’t seen folks make good arguments about DJ’s toxic posting as a leader of a team

are people really telling me they wouldn’t feel uncomfortable if they had a coworker they follow on IG saying, “cant trust these hos at work. They trying to take my place”? Yeah, he comes up to you and shakes your hand the next day. Are you telling me everyone you work with is genuine like that? And DJ’s other posts saying, “they smiling in my face everyday but i know they’re fake as fuck”? These posts aren’t the least bit concerning if this was supposed to be your coworker or team lead? Love DJ and all but goddamn, man.

tmtcsc
06-30-2022, 11:00 AM
Still haven’t seen folks make good arguments about DJ’s toxic posting as a leader of a team

are people really telling me they wouldn’t feel uncomfortable if they had a coworker they follow on IG saying, “cant trust these hos at work. They trying to take my place”? Yeah, he comes up to you and shakes your hand the next day. Are you telling me everyone you work with is genuine like that? And DJ’s other posts saying, “they smiling in my face everyday but i know they’re fake as fuck”? These posts aren’t the least bit concerning if this was supposed to be your coworker or team lead? Love DJ and all but goddamn, man.

Is this all new to you Eric? Look at your screen name. You've had nothing but praise for this guy and have been dialed in on him since he got here. He was never the player you thought he was. This isn't about his upbringing, its about who he's always shown everyone to be. He's a loud mouthed braggart who was more interested in the fame that came along with being in the NBA than becoming a star. I'm not saying he didn't improve and put in some work but he was "meh" at best when it came to being an answer to the PG position.

I'm just glad the Spurs are getting something back for him. Next moves - get rid of the roster fodder and headcases. Lonnie is at the top of that list. Another guy filled with potential who can't seem to string good games in to any sort of consistency. Hurt thumbnail, hurt feelings, woke overdrive, immature, unreliable. Yeah, we need to get rid of that and find some real players. Real dawgs who compete.

The Spurs are going to sign a veteran or someone who can teach the youngsters how to navigate the league and season without getting in to trouble and keeping in good shape. I can't imagine that person being Manu or Tim. They were winners and would probably be frustrated as hell trying to keep the kids in line. Shit, Tim couldn't influence Aldridge's lazy ass.

KingKev
06-30-2022, 11:05 AM

I stay off social media entirely other than watching 22 yr old chicks dance on tiktok but I’ll concede I cringe when I see that shit posted on here. The thing is every other NBA organization puts up with their players and their twitter fingers.

PATFO needs to get with the times. There are no reincarnations of TD/Manu or DRob in the pipeline, and if there were we’d be too damn prideful to tank properly to attain them. I’ll leave TP out since he tried to bang his teammates wife. Funny how PATFO turned a blind eye that time.

The Truth #6
06-30-2022, 11:08 AM
His IG must have been an issue with the FO. They hate that type of exposure. And they probably did think he was a potential time bomb as he got more accolades and got closer to a max. I assume they are scarred by the Kawhi experience. Shit, they’ve avoided drafting a small forward since he left, lol. Having said that, he was a gym rat and did a lot of things they probably loved. Did his teammates like him? Hard to say. I would also say that a big chunk of the NBA operates like DJM did. He wasn’t a complete outlier. Just random thoughts.

KingKev
06-30-2022, 11:14 AM
His IG must have been an issue with the FO. They hate that type of exposure. And they probably did think he was a potential time bomb as he got more accolades and got closer to a max. I assume they are scarred by the Kawhi experience. Shit, they’ve avoided drafting a small forward since he left, lol. Having said that, he was a gym rat and did a lot of things they probably loved. Did his teammates like him? Hard to say. I would also say that a big chunk of the NBA operates like DJM did. He wasn’t a complete outlier. Just random thoughts.

DJ earned every damn thing he got here. He arguably earned the right to act up on social media too. I don’t condone it but at the end of the day he does his job and this is where I can’t get onside with PATFO; guys who don’t produce can fly under the radar and get paid if they are culture guys while personalities like DJ are shunned.

You think PATFO would have ever drafted Lamelo or Ant? Fk no. They probably would have still taken Vassell at 3.

Dejounte
06-30-2022, 11:16 AM
yes, a lot of NBA players use their platform in irresponsible ways.

however,

The truly top tier NBA players (and leaders) don’t constantly post juvenile shit that DJ did.

And

The Spurs have a higher standard than others do when it comes to who should own the throne when it comes to leadership as evidenced by the slow transition from Pop.

KingKev
06-30-2022, 11:23 AM
yes, a lot of NBA players use their platform in irresponsible ways.

however,

The truly top tier NBA players (and leaders) don’t constantly post juvenile shit that DJ did.

And

The Spurs have a higher standard than others do when it comes to who should own the throne when it comes to leadership as evidenced by the slow transition from Pop.

and we as Spurs fans will suffer. Moral victories don’t bring me pleasure. I’m comfortable with losing for the right reasons but for the first time in 25 years I’m actually questioning my fandom and it’s because of PATFO.

td4mvp2k
06-30-2022, 11:25 AM
According to Brian Windbag, Dejounte let the team know through Kunt Sports Management that he would not return to the Spurs when his contract was up. That works for me. He had a good season, inflated his value way above what he's worth and the Spurs got a good return. Never was a fan of this kid or his self-promoting bullshit on Instagram but he put in the work and the Spurs will be better for taking a chance on him. He's not a game changer and the Hawks are going to find out what we already know. He talks like an Alpha, acts like an Alpha, but he's doesn't play like one. ZF Given.
agree. he did the best of hiding it and always knew he was a me guy. glad spurs jumped on it at his peak and didnt look back.

jjspur
06-30-2022, 11:27 AM
I am just very disappointed in the move.
If DJM was getting greedy and wanted a lot of money in 2 years, I understand the trade. if he was a bad culture fit on the team, I understand. If he simply hated the high temperatures in San Antonio in summer, I understand.
This is what I don't understand. They didn't get any immediate help. Sorry but Gallo will probably be waived after guaranteeing his salary. The draft picks won't come for at least a year, so basically we got nothing to help us this year thus embracing the immediate tank. It feels like we just joined the perennial losers club like Sacramento, getting decent draft picks but then trading the talent you do have away and still losing. They lose because of bad front office decisions, bad trades and bad coaching. Looks like we now have two out of three.

At this point I understand the trade was probably necessary, we get what we can for a player that really didn't want to be here and wouldn't be worth the price he would be asking for. I just wish we would have gotten something that wouldn't take us several steps backwards. With immediate help you know what you are getting, with picks, especially so so picks you just don't. That steady forward direction is what has kept the spurs relevant for so many years. With yesterdays trade that got thrown out the window. Like I said I am rather disappointed, but who knows maybe they have something up their sleeves to somehow salvage this season, but right now it doesn't look good.

The Truth #6
06-30-2022, 11:32 AM
Dejounte: has your opinion of him changed somewhat recently? If I remember correctly last week I was wondering about the trade rumors in a vague culture fit way and I thought you defended DJM and how he reaches out to other players as a defense of him.

Big picture: I liked him as a player in the end despite some cringe moments.

poopbox
06-30-2022, 11:34 AM
All those players you listed were pretty much shit except for Kawhi. We all know what kind of clown show he is. Leonard and Gasol are the only ones who ever won a ring. Derozan? We saw firsthand what kind of empty stats he put up.

Doesn't matter what type of player they are. What matters is that we are starting to see a trend of veteran nba players pretty consistently tell the spurs pay me what i want or trade me, or give me the starting job i want or trade me. There is no middle ground, there is no compromise, its the player getting exactly what they want or the player leaving. That's a very bad spot to be in. If you are Keldon or Devin or Tre, what's to stop you from saying "pay me this or i'll just leave"? "Promise me these minutes or I'll just leave?" Cause you have seen damn near everyone who is not a rookie deal or just do it.

Every interaction can't be an ultimatum. Shit goes old real quick.

Kawhi went on to win a ring. Demar was a fringe mvp candidate and got most of the credit for turning the bulls around. LMA went to ring chase. Thad Young went to play for a playoff team. Derrick White was in the finals. So not only do these players give the spurs an ultimatum, when they leave they damn near instantly have more success somewhere else. If you Devin or Keldon and you saw Derozan go from not even making an all star appearance in a spurs jersey to being a fringe mvp candidate the first year he left, why the fuck would you stay in san antonio?

MannyIsGod
06-30-2022, 11:35 AM
I 100% believe you all overanalyze social media posts from these dudes which leads y'all to develop really strange narratives about Dejounte. Give me a credible source on something and we'll see but y'all trying to figure out what some dude in his early 20s is tweeting about is pretty ridiculous.

Dejounte
06-30-2022, 11:37 AM
Dejounte: has your opinion of him changed somewhat recently? If I remember correctly last week I was wondering about the trade rumors in a vague culture fit way and I thought you defended DJM and how he reaches out to other players as a defense of him.

Big picture: I liked him as a player in the end despite some cringe moments.

Last week I pointed out DJ reaching out to the rooks as what I had in my mind proof against him being traded. Logic was telling me he wouldn’t make the effort to do that if something was happening. Turned out the hunch was wrong. It wasn’t about character.

Dejounte
06-30-2022, 11:47 AM
I 100% believe you all overanalyze social media posts from these dudes which leads y'all to develop really strange narratives about Dejounte. Give me a credible source on something and we'll see but y'all trying to figure out what some dude in his early 20s is tweeting about is pretty ridiculous.

Youre acting as if there was something to figure out in the first place. The examples I laid out weren’t cryptic. It said what it said. There’s not a narrative to develop— the narrative is there. I can’t help it if this concept is hard to explain to boomers.

MultiTroll
06-30-2022, 11:48 AM
Psssssh.

PATFO were not a culture fit for DJ.

Hope he smokes in the playoffs for ATL.

The Truth #6
06-30-2022, 11:53 AM
In life, business decisions are usually about money and then later rationalized as issues about culture or personality or character. The Spurs definitely care about character, so they’re atypical in a sense. In the end it probably wasn’t one thing but many things.

poopbox
06-30-2022, 11:57 AM

Well if are not doing the things he is talking about then why would you even think he was talking about you? If I was his teammate none of the stuff he said would offend me cause it doesn't apply to me. In these situations the only people who get offended by it are the people who know what he says is true. It's like if you call an honest person a liar they tend to brush it off cause they know it isn't true. But if you call a liar a liar then they get all offended because they know it's true. I don't see how Dejounte typing "people fake as fuck" bothers anyone who isn't fake as fuck.

It's beyond the pale to me that grown ass men can look at a player who grinded his way into an all star from the 29th pick, set behind veterans for his entire career, have every fucking player who has come here since he been here talk about how he is the first one to great them and show them the ropes, but all of that gets disregarded cause he didn't take primo under his wing and he posted some shit on instagram.

People talking about Tim and Tony and Manu leadership....get the fuck out of here :lmao

You talking about the same Tim Duncan who openly admitted to never talking to Tony when he got here? What kind of leadership is that :lmao

You talking about the same Tony Timmy and Manu who said when the Spurs traded Kawhi for George they openly asked Pop what the fuck he was doing and never talked to Kawhi? You call that fucking leadership :lmao. Openly saying you never talked to a rookie player on two separate occasions is good leadership :lmao

How do we know any of the players on our team is even reading DJ social media stuff? Do we even know if the spurs players follow DJ or whatever it's called?

KingKev
06-30-2022, 11:58 AM
agree. he did the best of hiding it and always knew he was a me guy. glad spurs jumped on it at his peak and didnt look back.

You are both dumbasses incapable of reading or interpreting news/data but I will let you try and figure out why I hold this opinion.

The Truth #6
06-30-2022, 12:00 PM
Or more specifically, they are worried about public image. For a long time it seemed like half of the front office and ownership were alcoholics with DWI charges. So there’s a hypocrisy there from afar. But overall, I understand the hesitancy in a million dollar business to get in bed with weird unpredictable people like Kawhi. And they were obviously spoiled in having high character Hall of Fame players with David Robinson and Tim Duncan. That’s not gonna happen again. So yeah, if they pursue character too far then we definitely could be a mediocre team. If we only chase exciting players short term, then we can be mediocre also and end up like the Dallas Mavericks, so to speak, though obviously Luka keeps them afloat.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-30-2022, 12:12 PM
I can’t help it if this concept is hard to explain to boomers.

pretty sure Manny is Gen X aka the best generation

bruh you need to get off DJM's dick ... he's gone now

imo it was a win-win trade for SAS and DJM. big gamble for ATL might work, might not

i wish DJM well but can't stand trae

jjspur
06-30-2022, 12:13 PM
In life, business decisions are usually about money and then later rationalized as issues about culture or personality or character. The Spurs definitely care about character, so they’re atypical in a sense. In the end it probably wasn’t one thing but many things.

The spurs are not owned by a gazillionaire lie Mark Cuban or Steve Ballmer so seeing the spurs and how they operate, it was probably about the money. If you're a generational talent or all star level talent, yeah the spurs will fork over the money and let the chips fly where they may. Murray was a good player but he wasn't a generational talent, an all star but just barely. In the end did the thing they needed to do. Now the next major move in rebuilding this team is up to the front office . Hopefully they can make some decent moves sooner rather than later. It will keep a lot more fans that way.

R. DeMurre
06-30-2022, 12:24 PM

Agreed, but in this case I'd say the talent-to-money ratio replaces the single issue of money by itself. If DJ had the impact stats of Giannis, Curry, or even Butler, he'd still be on the team, even if he'd recently posted pics of his new conversion to an outlaw cult and his simultaneous marriages to Kim Kardashian, Cardi B,
Bhad Bhabie, and Lil Nas X.

MannyIsGod
06-30-2022, 12:28 PM
Youre acting as if there was something to figure out in the first place. The examples I laid out weren’t cryptic. It said what it said. There’s not a narrative to develop— the narrative is there. I can’t help it if this concept is hard to explain to boomers.

You have no idea who or what he's talking about in the example you used and you read into it like an insecure teen who can figure out if the girl he likes is vaguebooking about him and that makes ME the boomer? Hilarious.

MannyIsGod
06-30-2022, 12:30 PM
pretty sure Manny is Gen X aka the best generation

bruh you need to get off DJM's dick ... he's gone now

imo it was a win-win trade for SAS and DJM. big gamble for ATL might work, might not

i wish DJM well but can't stand trae

I'm actually right on the edge of millennials.

baseline bum
06-30-2022, 12:31 PM
Meh Spurs didn't want to pay Dejounte a max contract in 2024 so traded him. He was nothing but professional here.

Dejounte
06-30-2022, 12:34 PM
You have no idea who or what he's talking about in the example you used and you read into it like an insecure teen who can figure out if the girl he likes is vaguebooking about him and that makes ME the boomer? Hilarious.

The point went over your head

it doesnt matter who it was about. Put yourself in the shoes of his teammates as if they were reading that.

and your correlation is whack. I’m not sure you know what you’re typing.

MannyIsGod
06-30-2022, 12:36 PM
I assume his teammates aren't sitting there wondering if every DJM social media post is about them because who the fuck does that?

Dejounte
06-30-2022, 12:37 PM
I assume his teammates aren't sitting there wondering if every DJM social media post is about them because who the fuck does that?

and this is the part where you’re fucking out of touch and don’t know what 20 year olds do

RC_Drunkford
06-30-2022, 12:38 PM
this was not a character issue, it was a money & basketball issue. Get over it and stop making shit up. DJ also never said he won't resign, he simply didn't want to accept a lowball extension which was the right thing to do. No NBA player would do that after coming off an All-Star season

MannyIsGod
06-30-2022, 12:44 PM
and this is the part where you’re fucking out of touch and don’t know what 20 year olds do

You're confusing insecure people and 20 year olds but sure man. All 20 year olds are running around assuming everything is a subtweet aimed at them.

lmbebo
06-30-2022, 12:44 PM
this was not a character issue, it was a money & basketball issue. Get over it and stop making shit up. DJ also never said he won't resign, he simply didn't want to accept a lowball extension which was the right thing to do. No NBA player would do that after coming off an All-Star season

Truth. He'd probably still be a spur and considering an extension if he wasn't an all-star replacement last year. Who knows, he probably would have refused the extension either way.

Dejounte
06-30-2022, 12:46 PM
You're confusing insecure people and 20 year olds but sure man. All 20 year olds are running around assuming everything is a subtweet aimed at them.

No confusion here. I hoop with random 20 year olds all the time at the gym and assuming all of them are just insecure is lol.

tmtcsc
06-30-2022, 12:48 PM
You are both dumbasses incapable of reading or interpreting news/data but I will let you try and figure out why I hold this opinion.

You're the dumbass if you think PATFO are out of touch with what a malcontent and primadonna looks like. They've got plenty of history to learn from. This move wasn't about social media or posting on Instagram or being out of touch with a younger generation. It's about not being able to shoot threes, its about being immature and not a good floor general. Thanks to all the hype DJM's agency put out there for him, he was able to sneak in to the All Star game. Good for him. He's a great rebounder for being a guard but he falls short in way more important skill departments.

He earned his minutes, showed improvement from the time he got here but was more bark than bite. He's not leading anyone or any team to a championship. He's a role player and that's it, much like the majority of players on this crappy ass roster. As for Pop, his biggest flaw is his stubborness and ego. He rode Tim's coattails to an eventual HOF but at least he admitted it. The best thing he did was develop a culture of accountability. That's about it.

RC_Drunkford
06-30-2022, 12:49 PM
Truth. He'd probably still be a spur and considering an extension if he wasn't an all-star replacement last year. Who knows, he probably would have refused the extension either way.

of course he would, the guy averaged close to a triple double last season. It's not a fair contract. Now while I assume he will improve further, Atlanta might be able to resign him cheaper because he will get less touches on the Hawks as a complimentary player, so his number will most likely dip, but he will still make more money once he enters FA in 2024 than what the Spurs could offer (due to the rules of the limited salary amount they can offer in the extension)

MannyIsGod
06-30-2022, 12:51 PM
No confusion here. I hoop with random 20 year olds all the time at the gym and assuming all of them are just insecure is lol.
Up until recently I taught college students my dude. Hooping with them doesn't magically make you more in touch or your assumptions any less of an assumption. This is seriously the flimsiest shit ever. You hope with 20 year olds so you surmised that primo was mad at Dejounte for a tweet so the Spurs traded him? Come on dude you are way better than this.

wildbill2u
06-30-2022, 02:43 PM
Murray looked better on paper/offensive scoring because he was our first option and we really had no one else. And he still wasn't the outside shooter he needed to be as a #1. I doubt his scoring will be as prolific on his new team, so his value may be more in the area of a two way player with an emphasis on defense. But that will be Atlanta's problem.

He gave us what he had in his skill-set, and to be clear, I called him out on a couple of bad skills (shooting mechanics, ball-handling mechanics) when he arrived and he worked hard to fix them. You can't ask for more of a player than that he works hard to be successful and doesn't rock the boat with personal or attitude problems. Grade A.

I suspect he enjoyed his time here as the leader of the team. Let's hope he is happy there and becomes overpaid for the rest of his career.

diego
06-30-2022, 03:15 PM
You're the dumbass if you think PATFO are out of touch with what a malcontent and primadonna looks like. They've got plenty of history to learn from. This move wasn't about social media or posting on Instagram or being out of touch with a younger generation. It's about not being able to shoot threes, its about being immature and not a good floor general. Thanks to all the hype DJM's agency put out there for him, he was able to sneak in to the All Star game. Good for him. He's a great rebounder for being a guard but he falls short in way more important skill departments.

He earned his minutes, showed improvement from the time he got here but was more bark than bite. He's not leading anyone or any team to a championship. He's a role player and that's it, much like the majority of players on this crappy ass roster. As for Pop, his biggest flaw is his stubborness and ego. He rode Tim's coattails to an eventual HOF but at least he admitted it. The best thing he did was develop a culture of accountability. That's about it.

Yep, for me Djs problem wasn't leadership, relationships etc. It was his flaws as a lead guard. And you can live with lack of range or finishing ability or vision or whatever. But having your main ballhandler make poor decisions down the stretch is a recipe for underachievement (much like DeRozan ironically enough)

I admit I watched barely 20% of the last two seasons, so maybe im totally wrong. But when I did I saw a guy who routinely coughed games up down the stretch with bad shot selection, bad time management, bad gambles or slow decisions. Game threads seemed to support that impression

I think dj is lovable, he certainly cares and works .. but the rebounds and defense don't make up for the poor closing ability, that's too big of a flaw for a max player

koriwhat
06-30-2022, 03:32 PM
This whole site is functioning like it’s Windows ‘98 right now tbh.

Windows ME! lol

emanueldavidginobili
06-30-2022, 04:11 PM
When I read all of DJs nonsense he post I don't immediately think he's referring to one of his teammates. I just think it's one of his homies from back home, family members or a companion and I don't think any of the players ever thought DJ was ever referring to them. There's no proof on the court of DJ ever having a problem with any of his teammates, they all loved him and looked up to him it seemed like.

He's just an emotional guy and wears his heart on his sleeve, but he has always backed his play up on the court and was accountable and a great teammate. I think trading him because of a culture fit is farfetched, I certainly don't think PATFO is snooping on a 25 year olds social media. I have never heard a bad word about his character or any legal troubles since he has been drafted. This is more about a mutual decision that was beneficial for both parties and DJ handled it like a professional.

If the Spurs have that culture mindset and trying to find leaders like Manu and Timmy they're going to be waiting a very long time because this is a completely new generation from those guys and the Spurs need to adapt to that. Not saying draft a bunch of assholes but social media is bigger than it's ever been and this generation lives on it and expresses themselves through it.

RC_Drunkford
06-30-2022, 05:39 PM
for all you idiots making shit up

Dejounte
06-30-2022, 05:47 PM
^none of this remotely relates to anything I have said so not sure who you are addressing.

KingKev
06-30-2022, 05:47 PM
for all you idiots making shit up

Anyone with 1/4 a brain and access to GOOGLE should have known this. Crazy how stupid ppl are in an era where information is free.

KingKev
06-30-2022, 05:51 PM
^none of this remotely relates to anything I have said so not sure who you are addressing.

I think he was just putting it in one of 20 DJ trade threads as atleast 20 ST idiots read Fatboy Windy’s initial trolling regarding Klutch, DJ and unwillingness to sign an extension and creamed their pants to justify this dogshit trade.

Russ
06-30-2022, 05:54 PM
The only culture Dejounte didn't fit was the youth culture.

RC_Drunkford
06-30-2022, 05:56 PM

Apparently he wasn't a culture fit

Dejounte
06-30-2022, 06:01 PM
Apparently he wasn't a culture fit

Read the thread.

RC_Drunkford
06-30-2022, 06:08 PM
Read the thread.

I obviously did. Basically a bunch of made up non-sense

OldMan88
06-30-2022, 06:38 PM
The spurs are not owned by a gazillionaire lie Mark Cuban or Steve Ballmer so seeing the spurs and how they operate, it was probably about the money. If you're a generational talent or all star level talent, yeah the spurs will fork over the money and let the chips fly where they may. Murray was a good player but he wasn't a generational talent, an all star but just barely. In the end did the thing they needed to do. Now the next major move in rebuilding this team is up to the front office . Hopefully they can make some decent moves sooner rather than later. It will keep a lot more fans that way.

Agree mostly. This was primarily a business decision. DJM was at his most valuable point and the rest of the team didn’t match up to that level where they would be competitive, so it made sense to move him.

Gagnrath
07-01-2022, 06:47 PM
So I think that Brian Wright and the rest of the back office decided that Murray was going to be peaking about 2024-abour 2028 and would be wanting if not a max deal a near max deal. They also felt that having the next two years with the spurs being first and second round losers without much payroll or draft stock to get better and not having the financial wherewithal to make major improvements was going to be bad. So they traded Murray fora lot of draft stock while having no serious issues. This likely puts the spurs into the serious odds for the top spot while still "trying to win on the floor", and develop Primo, Vassel, and Keldon.

dg7md
07-02-2022, 03:02 AM
Fk Sours culture. It's gotten rediculous. There is a reason literally no one with any success wants to play here.

poopbox
07-02-2022, 11:09 AM
Yep, for me Djs problem wasn't leadership, relationships etc. It was his flaws as a lead guard. And you can live with lack of range or finishing ability or vision or whatever. But having your main ballhandler make poor decisions down the stretch is a recipe for underachievement (much like DeRozan ironically enough)

I admit I watched barely 20% of the last two seasons, so maybe im totally wrong. But when I did I saw a guy who routinely coughed games up down the stretch with bad shot selection, bad time management, bad gambles or slow decisions. Game threads seemed to support that impression

I think dj is lovable, he certainly cares and works .. but the rebounds and defense don't make up for the poor closing ability, that's too big of a flaw for a max player

This is like the most spurstalk post ever :lmao

DJ got traded cause he had all these flaws but I don't really even know cause I don't even really watch the games but when I do watch the games it's the guy who makes the biggest impact on us winning games not playing enough but he is 25 and can't make every single shot in the 4th quarter and that's not good enough but again I don't really even watch the games so I could be wrong:lmao

KingKev
07-02-2022, 11:18 AM
This is like the most spurstalk post ever :lmao

DJ got traded cause he had all these flaws but I don't really even know cause I don't even really watch the games but when I do watch the games it's the guy who makes the biggest impact on us winning games not playing enough but he is 25 and can't make every single shot in the 4th quarter and that's not good enough but again I don't really even watch the games so I could be wrong:lmao

I’ll add:

”Oh and correct me if I’m wrong he wanted to get paid market value which is not very Spursy. Here in San Antonio we take money off the table in the name of the greater good because we are a storied franchise of winners”

Meanwhile DJ just wanted to fking win and all the wine drunk grandpa Pop stories, colloquies, inspirational quotes imaginable will not make that happen without some cultural change.

emmo
07-02-2022, 11:53 AM

RC_Drunkford
07-02-2022, 01:06 PM
that's actually not what Windhorst reported

jjspur
07-02-2022, 01:08 PM
Lets see how much of an "all star" he is in Atlanta next season. ATL has more talent than we do so that may not happen again. If that's the case then we got good value for him. If he blows up and becomes a major all star then he will demand a very very large pay increase. That's now Atlanta's problem. Spurs may have dodged a big financial bullet

OldMan88
07-02-2022, 02:26 PM
I always thought DJM was a very good, but not great player. One issue I had was one of his “strengths”, supposedly, being his high rebounding numbers. The most effective transition offense teams usually have their point guard receiving an outlet pass from the rebounding player, allowing to PG to survey the floor quickly and usually initiate the transition scoring opportunity with one quick pass to the cutting or posting up player before the defense gets set up. Meanwhile, DJM is still dribbling up the court after securing the rebound, many times taking it away from one of our bigs. Never made sense to me, but that how he got his triple doubles.

tmtcsc
07-02-2022, 06:19 PM
that's actually not what Windhorst reported

However, ESPN’s Brian Windhorst reported that the Spurs decided to part ways with Murray because it was inevitable that they’d lose the 25-year-old. “He and his agent, Rich Paul, made it known that he was not going to extend his contract with the Spurs this summer,” Windhorst said on The Hoop Collective podcast (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10040458-windhorst-dejounte-murray-told-spurs-he-wouldnt-sign-contract-extension-this-summer).
Source: Doric Sam @ Bleacher Report (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10040458-windhorst-dejounte-murray-told-spurs-he-wouldnt-sign-contract-extension-this-summer).

"Moments after the trade was announced, Windhorst reported that the Spurs decided to close the deal with Atlanta because Murray was not going to sign an extension before his contract was up.

He and his agent, Rich Paul, made it known he was not going to extend his contract with the Spurs this summer," Windhorst said."

RC_Drunkford
07-02-2022, 07:15 PM
However, ESPN’s Brian Windhorst reported that the Spurs decided to part ways with Murray because it was inevitable that they’d lose the 25-year-old. “He and his agent, Rich Paul, made it known that he was not going to extend his contract with the Spurs this summer,” Windhorst said on The Hoop Collective podcast (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10040458-windhorst-dejounte-murray-told-spurs-he-wouldnt-sign-contract-extension-this-summer).
Source: Doric Sam @ Bleacher Report (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10040458-windhorst-dejounte-murray-told-spurs-he-wouldnt-sign-contract-extension-this-summer).

"Moments after the trade was announced, Windhorst reported that the Spurs decided to close the deal with Atlanta because Murray was not going to sign an extension before his contract was up.

He and his agent, Rich Paul, made it known he was not going to extend his contract with the Spurs this summer," Windhorst said."

exactly. Maybe you should learn how to read since you still haven't found the mistake :lmao

tmtcsc
07-02-2022, 08:32 PM
exactly. Maybe you should learn how to read since you still haven't found the mistake :lmao

Seriously? Maybe you should learn how to interpret what someone says. He wasn't going to remain a Spur, wasn't going to sign an extension and he wanted out. It's all the same shit.

RC_Drunkford
07-02-2022, 08:34 PM
Seriously? Maybe you should learn how to interpret what someone says. He wasn't going to remain a Spur, wasn't going to sign an extension and he wanted out. It's all the same shit.

:lmao an extension and a new contract is not the same thing. The difference is about 20 million dollars per year idiot

tmtcsc
07-02-2022, 10:10 PM
:lmao an extension and a new contract is not the same thing. The difference is about 20 million dollars per year idiot

Hey DumbAss, he didn't want to play for the Spurs anymore. He wanted a chance to win a Championship and wasn't going to stay. He & Mighty Mouse had been talking about playing together and the Spurs made it happen for him. He sure as shit wasn't getting that money here because he isn't worth it and wasn't going to get paid by a franchise who knows what his ceiling is. Done.

RC_Drunkford
07-03-2022, 04:53 AM
I guess you also believe in the tooth fairy. What are you gonna say now? Wright was lying? :lmao

tmtcsc
07-03-2022, 10:52 AM
I guess you also believe in the tooth fairy. What are you gonna say now? Wright was lying? :lmao

Let's start here:

Here’s what we learned about the Hawks on Friday afternoon:

• Murray said he’s been talking to Young for roughly two to three weeks about the possibility of teaming up. “He wanted it as much as I wanted it,” Murray said.

By remarkable coincidence, the Hawks approach the Spurs about a trade for Dejounte and Murray's representatives remind the Spurs what they already know - Murray isn't signing the extension.

If you don't think they informed Wright that Murray wanted to go to Atlanta AND he preferred to be in a win now scenario, you're the one who believes in the tooth fairy.

If you don't think Trae Young's feelings had any impact on Atlanta sweetening their offer for Murray (a ridiculous 3 first round picks for essentially a "meh" player), you're clueless.

The Spurs have to be feeling like bandits after getting that package back for him. The Hawks overpaid big time for a non-difference maker who can defend and rebound but can't shoot.

The Spurs roster is essentially a collection of hot garbage & good role players at best. They are in desperate need of real talent that can win games. Because of their youth and the time it will take to see what they have, the Spurs aren't going to waste money pursuing current free agents. They won't come here to be part of rebuild.

For all his talk about "We", Murray has always been full of shit and a "Me" first player who said everything right in front of the camera. Eric might be on to something about Murray's attitude and playing social media games. Who knows? It doesn't matter, dude wasn't going to be here & he told the Spurs as much.

So yeah, on to all the bullshit Thank You's on Social Media, talk of Spurs family forever and the inevitable video montage they'll give him when he returns. It's all PR nonsense. There's a handful of members in here (me included) that aren't sorry to see him go. I won't be surprised at all if the Spurs end up winning more games without him. Count Lonnie Walker's departure as another reason why they'll be better too. He brought nothing but inconsistency and frustration along with the occasional flashes of what the Spurs hoped he good be. Good riddance.

Wu36
07-03-2022, 11:24 AM
I don’t really like the the return on the trade now. If the Spurs end up with a top 5 pick next year while giving young players some run I’ll be higher on the return. But overall I’m glad to not be stuck in Washington’s situation where they just keep paying Beal and not doing anything productive in the playoffs.

RC_Drunkford
07-03-2022, 12:39 PM
Let's start here:

Here’s what we learned about the Hawks on Friday afternoon:

• Murray said he’s been talking to Young for roughly two to three weeks about the possibility of teaming up. “He wanted it as much as I wanted it,” Murray said.

By remarkable coincidence, the Hawks approach the Spurs about a trade for Dejounte and Murray's representatives remind the Spurs what they already know - Murray isn't signing the extension.

If you don't think they informed Wright that Murray wanted to go to Atlanta AND he preferred to be in a win now scenario, you're the one who believes in the tooth fairy.

If you don't think Trae Young's feelings had any impact on Atlanta sweetening their offer for Murray (a ridiculous 3 first round picks for essentially a "meh" player), you're clueless.

The Spurs have to be feeling like bandits after getting that package back for him. The Hawks overpaid big time for a non-difference maker who can defend and rebound but can't shoot.

The Spurs roster is essentially a collection of hot garbage & good role players at best. They are in desperate need of real talent that can win games. Because of their youth and the time it will take to see what they have, the Spurs aren't going to waste money pursuing current free agents. They won't come here to be part of rebuild.

For all his talk about "We", Murray has always been full of shit and a "Me" first player who said everything right in front of the camera. Eric might be on to something about Murray's attitude and playing social media games. Who knows? It doesn't matter, dude wasn't going to be here & he told the Spurs as much.

So yeah, on to all the bullshit Thank You's on Social Media, talk of Spurs family forever and the inevitable video montage they'll give him when he returns. It's all PR nonsense. There's a handful of members in here (me included) that aren't sorry to see him go. I won't be surprised at all if the Spurs end up winning more games without him. Count Lonnie Walker's departure as another reason why they'll be better too. He brought nothing but inconsistency and frustration along with the occasional flashes of what the Spurs hoped he good be. Good riddance.

Oh you are one of the "instagram balller" guys. I get it :lol Haters gonna hate

Rummpd
07-03-2022, 03:10 PM
He may or may not have been a fit but d for sure this inept front office botched another star trade or release. Time for change at the very top of a once proud now pathetically run team.

tmtcsc
07-03-2022, 03:41 PM
Oh you are one of the "instagram balller" guys. I get it :lol Haters gonna hate

Posers gonna pose. You're just easily distracted by shiny items and glitter. He had no substance. Atlanta won't win, neither will the Spurs but they'll have draft capital to at least try and rebuild. ATL sold their souls and future for Instagram Baller. I'm liking this trade more and more.

objective
07-03-2022, 04:10 PM
Maybe other people have speculated this, I've only skimmed the thread

But I believe the Spurs when they say that they didn't go into the summer looking to trade Dejounte. Because I buy into them not having a grand plan. They don't know what they're doing. And I stress 'know', not inasmuch as intelligence, but we in being deliberate. People think they've chosen to tank and have things in motion. "oh, they added Jock and pulled Lonnie's offer, they're up to something!"

No, they aren't up to anything. People who should have known better really thought that pulling Lonnie's offer meant something big was about to happen, despite a long history of them not screwing over players like Morey would.

But anyways, I think this trade can be traced back to Dejounte publicly recruiting Lavine. There's no way he does that if he didn't picture himself in San Antonio long term at the time. That's him committing to the future of the team and taking a leadership role that is the norm in the modern NBA, recruiting players. And it happened weeks before any talking with Trae Young happened based on public timelines.

That's where things went south I believe.

That's where the culture clash happened, and long story short, when the FO didn't have his back behind closed doors, that's when he concluded things weren't going too happen in SA like he thought he needed them to, and he started looking elsewhere.

Because i can easily see the braintrust of Pop, Wright, and RC with his personal Uber driver then FLIPPING OUT over Dejounte posting or linking or liking a LaVine in a Spurs jersey picture. THAT'S NOT THE SPURS WAY! That's not humble and over yourself, that's not quiet or meek, that's seeking attention and ego-driven or other nonsense.

I'm sure there was an all hands on deck meeting over how to handle it, they probably were even called by the league office to have to explain or deny their role in it. Which then would have led to them having to talk to Dejounte and explain the Spurs way. Which I'm sure would have led to a discussion over what they were planning to do this summer, which turns out might be what they did last summer: nothing but questionable contracts and second rate cap eating for picks.

I'm sure their lack of enthusiasm for chasing dreams or big moves was like a bucket of cold water poured on his hot tempered head. And if they weren't as committed to winning or even making bigger moves to improve the roster, then he would have to go look for that somewhere else. Little did he know that he was punching his own ticket by recruiting other players.

TD 21
07-03-2022, 04:44 PM
It was far more practical than salacious as many are portraying it. In a sense, he was a victim of his own success because his leap crystalized a hazy situation by making is so they were on divergent paths.

As a complimentary/fringe star, it wasn't sensible to attempt to speed up their timeline and there was no realistic (Ayton and Collins are a cut under fringe stardom and Anunoby is an elite role player) trade that would have led to a quantum leap anyway.

This notion of "they're still not tanking" is nonsense. This is now the projected worst team in the league, likely to widen the gap with a presumed Poeltl trade.

tim_duncan_fan
07-03-2022, 04:54 PM
I believe he asked for a trade, but also, he is not top-guy-on-the-team material.

Also, having come to the opinion that he asked for a trade, I no longer feel hesitant about bashing him for his flaws. He got a lot of steals, but he can't guard and Atlanta's defense will not be any better. I'm hoping Keldon, Devin, and Primo take turns busting his ass on the court.

exstatic
07-03-2022, 05:19 PM

Actually, like $12M, which is less than DJ’s contract, and created some space to use for trade partnering.

KingKev
07-03-2022, 05:26 PM
Actually, like $12M, which is less than DJ’s contract, and created some space to use for trade partnering.

I wrote that figure before it was announced his guarantee was upped and date pushed back to facilitate the trade. That was my expectation of his buyout.

Thus far they appear committed to a direction so easier to swallow.

objective
07-03-2022, 05:58 PM
presumed Poeltl trade.

Why is there a presumed Poeltl trade?

Could they trade Poeltl? Absolutely. Would it help a tank direction without his rim protection? Of course. Should they trade him? Sure seems like a lot of fans would be happy to see it to get better lottery odds.

But why is it 'presumed'? To an observer, it makes logical sense. Spurs better off in long term with tanking : Spurs trade Murray for future picks : Spurs must therefore be tanking : Spurs must then trade Poeltl.

But I look at the moves they've made, it's not so cut and dry. Last year could have been seen as a tanking year: move on from DeRozan, Mills, Gay : Spurs going young to both tank and see what they have. Spurs sign injured Zach Collins, fits in with tanking. They go on to trade guys like White and others, getting picks for the tank.

But then they also signed McDermott. A 30 year old role player. If they had set that money aside they could have squeezed multiple first round picks with trades.

So while they might trade Poeltl, I wouldn't presume it. Doesn't seem like a lot of teams in the market to pay what a center like him should be worth. Are they going to take a 'bad' deal just to tank? They don't seem willing to sit healthy players to tank like OKC, so I don't know if they're willing to just get back a second round pick or something else lackluster.

The past few days I feel like I've seen some "this doesn't make sense" lines from people expecting big moves or tank moves or youth signings ... Because they think they know the direction the Spurs are taking. So many posts, "Well, at least they chose a direction with this trade!"

But then the questions start. Why did they do the Dejounte deal so soon? Why tender Lonnie then pull the offer in hours? Why not sign Jalen Smith when the room exception would be higher than his Indiana deal and they could do it with no impact on their cap room?

I won't be surprised if they trade Poeltl but also won't be surprised if they keep Poeltl into next summer. And I won't be surprised if they take him to next summer and let him walk in free agency. People here will be posting, "It doesn't make sense. Should have traded him last summer and improved our odds, now we're stuck at pick 6 after the lottery!". That's just the way it is. I think they make their moves according their own internal inscrutable logic. Instances where their moves line up with public expectation are probably coincidental rather than predictable like the movement of celestial bodies.

TD 21
07-03-2022, 06:07 PM
Why is there a presumed Poeltl trade?

But then they also signed McDermott. A 30 year old role player. If they had set that money aside they could have squeezed multiple first round picks with trades.

But then the questions start. Why did they do the Dejounte deal so soon? Why tender Lonnie then pull the offer in hours? Why not sign Jalen Smith when the room exception would be higher than his Indiana deal and they could do it with no impact on their cap room?

Simple: They either cash him in for more draft capital, lose the asset for nothing (but more cap space) next off season or overpay to get him to consider re-signing.

Last year has nothing to do with this one and McDermott was signed because 1) His ability to space the floor will help aid in the mostly deficient shooting youth on court and because they'll want some "character" veterans to help shepherd the youth off court.

Might have had a narrow window to extract this amount/type of draft capital. The Hawks could have moved on, the Timberwolves prioritized Gobert and none of the Cavaliers, Knicks, Wizards were probably willing to pace this price period.

daslicer
07-03-2022, 07:29 PM

But I believe the Spurs when they say that they didn't go into the summer looking to trade Dejounte. Because I buy into them not having a grand plan. They don't know what they're doing. And I stress 'know', not inasmuch as intelligence, but we in being deliberate. People think they've chosen to tank and have things in motion. "oh, they added Jock and pulled Lonnie's offer, they're up to something!"

No, they aren't up to anything. People who should have known better really thought that pulling Lonnie's offer meant something big was about to happen, despite a long history of them not screwing over players like Morey would.

But anyways, I think this trade can be traced back to Dejounte publicly recruiting Lavine. There's no way he does that if he didn't picture himself in San Antonio long term at the time. That's him committing to the future of the team and taking a leadership role that is the norm in the modern NBA, recruiting players. And it happened weeks before any talking with Trae Young happened based on public timelines.

That's where the culture clash happened, and long story short, when the FO didn't have his back behind closed doors, that's when he concluded things weren't going too happen in SA like he thought he needed them to, and he started looking elsewhere.

Because i can easily see the braintrust of Pop, Wright, and RC with his personal Uber driver then FLIPPING OUT over Dejounte posting or linking or liking a LaVine in a Spurs jersey picture. THAT'S NOT THE SPURS WAY! That's not humble and over yourself, that's not quiet or meek, that's seeking attention and ego-driven or other nonsense.

I'm sure there was an all hands on deck meeting over how to handle it, they probably were even called by the league office to have to explain or deny their role in it. Which then would have led to them having to talk to Dejounte and explain the Spurs way. Which I'm sure would have led to a discussion over what they were planning to do this summer, which turns out might be what they did last summer: nothing but questionable contracts and second rate cap eating for picks.

I'm sure their lack of enthusiasm for chasing dreams or big moves was like a bucket of cold water poured on his hot tempered head. And if they weren't as committed to winning or even making bigger moves to improve the roster, then he would have to go look for that somewhere else. Little did he know that he was punching his own ticket by recruiting other players.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or serious. If you are being serious than this is a profoundly stupid post. I doubt the Spurs got upset at DJ for posting on IG that he wanted Lavine. Reality is Spurs didn't see him as a franchise player to build around and went to him and told him they would trade him to a place he wanted to go. I think this was the best break up you can have between a team and its star player.

JeffDuncan
07-04-2022, 04:23 AM
It was far more practical than salacious …

You may be one of those people who should not try to use “vocabulary” words. Or did your spell checker help you way too much?

The word, salacious, can mean either lustful, or sexually obscene.

So you just wrote that the Murray trade was more practical than it was sexually obscene.

Now, I will grant you that point. I would agree. I do not think that when the Spurs traded Murray they were hoping to be sexually obscene. But is that really what you were trying to say? If you claim it was I will not believe you.

Or maybe that’s why so many of the posters here are dubious or even upset with the Murray trade. It wasn’t sexually obscene enough for them. You might be on to something there. The guys here wanted an X rated trade and all they got was a lousy G rated one.

Anyway…

The Spurs traded Murray because - through no fault of their own - they stumbled across the best opportunity they’d ever get to trade him, probably.

The trade did not happen because Murray wanted out. He didn’t.

It did not happen because the Spurs wanted to trade Murray. They didn’t.

Atlanta did it. The Murray trade emerged from their effort to trade John Collins.

Atlanta has been trying to trade Collins for some time now. No secret.

They called the Spurs (among many others) and one of the ideas they floated was Collins for Murray. That was a no go for the Spurs.

Atlanta then dropped Collins from the conversation but they kept talking about Murray. What would it take to get him?

They were especially interested in DJ because they see him as a player who can help Trae Young at both ends of the floor. For Atlanta it’s all about building around Trae.

The Spurs let it be known that with the way the team is now they were primarily interested in draft picks, as many good ones as they could get. Would Atlanta give enough picks?

Atlanta is in win-now mode as they try to stay competitive in the East. So they replied “maybe.”

The question arose whether Trae and DJ could really get along, being on the same team. If so, Atlanta’s answer on the draft picks would become yes.

DJ then went to Atlanta, to spend some time with Trae. The verdict from that, from both DJ and Trae, was thumbs up.

At that point, Atlanta agreed to give enough to make the trade happen.

Spurs fans try to look into DJ’s head to explain the trade, or they try to look at some attitude of the Spurs. But that isn’t where the answer is. The reason for the trade is in Atlanta.

lmbebo
07-04-2022, 07:24 AM
Was thinking back to last summer when the Spurs apparently made an offer to the 76ers for Simmons with Murray being the key piece...

Maybe this was a concern back then

Atl Spur
07-04-2022, 08:55 AM
Someone please help me with this, if it is presumed the the spurs do not know what they’re doing, why do some expect so much from them? Total foolishness!������ The fact that most of you truly don’t know how remarkable this ride has been over the last 25 yrs is baffling; ANY franchise & fanbase would change positions with usin a snap of a finger. Quit being little whiney boys bitching. That’s all and btw Spurs/Primo will be fine

TD 21
07-04-2022, 10:08 AM
You may be one of those people who should not try to use “vocabulary” words. Or did your spell checker help you way too much?

The word, salacious, can mean either lustful, or sexually obscene.

So you just wrote that the Murray trade was more practical than it was sexually obscene.

Now, I will grant you that point. I would agree. I do not think that when the Spurs traded Murray they were hoping to be sexually obscene. But is that really what you were trying to say? If you claim it was I will not believe you.

:lmao I actually meant scandalous.

rankingtear
07-04-2022, 10:25 AM

Source? Trust me bro.

JeffDuncan
07-04-2022, 03:58 PM
:lmao I actually meant scandalous.

Ah. I hereby nominate you for typo of the year, tho. :lmao

Mr. Body
07-04-2022, 04:45 PM
Klutch move.

They are always going to steer their players either to LeBron or to baller markets. Unless they forget about them entirely, like Nerlens Noel.

exstatic
07-14-2022, 09:16 AM

exstatic
07-14-2022, 09:20 AM
Was thinking back to last summer when the Spurs apparently made an offer to the 76ers for Simmons with Murray being the key piece...

Maybe this was a concern back then

Philly wanted him. Spurs wouldn’t give.

John B
07-14-2022, 10:35 AM
Philly wanted him. Spurs wouldn’t give.

In retrospect, would you have traded for Simmons? I mean I don’t know the state of Simmons mind, but once he puts it together, Simmons is a potential tier 1 that DJ could only dream of becoming.

exstatic
07-14-2022, 11:01 AM
In retrospect, would you have traded for Simmons? I mean I don’t know the state of Simmons mind, but once he puts it together, Simmons is a potential tier 1 that DJ could only dream of becoming.

I don’t think he’s s a tier 1, maybe a 1A or a 2. It would have helped our pick, though, since his back/disc issues prevented him from playing at all this season.

All in all, I’m happy with the haul we got for DJ, and our picks this summer. Sochan could turn out to be a slightly smaller, much less dramatic version of Simmons.

Atl Spur
07-14-2022, 02:33 PM
DJ going to magic city is really nothing to sweat….. between dope boys , athletes and regular 9 to 5 a lot of these dudes partake in this type behavior. And trust me, him showing some dough on Instagram don’t heighten is chance of being robbed out here……these young boys rob everyone! Dumb in my opinion but not abnormal.

Ice009
07-14-2022, 08:28 PM
I don’t think he’s s a tier 1, maybe a 1A or a 2. It would have helped our pick, though, since his back/disc issues prevented him from playing at all this season.

All in all, I’m happy with the haul we got for DJ, and our picks this summer. Sochan could turn out to be a slightly smaller, much less dramatic version of Simmons.

Is Simmons out the whole of next season? Also, when you say Sochan is slightly smaller, I didn't know Simmons is bigger. I'll have to look up their heights, or did you mean body/weight wise Simmons is bigger?

exstatic
07-14-2022, 08:37 PM
Is Simmons out the whole of next season? Also, when you say Sochan is slightly smaller, I didn't know Simmons is bigger. I'll have to look up their heights, or did you mean body/weight wise Simmons is bigger?

Sochan listed at 6’9”, and Simmons at 6’11”. I think Simmons will be good to go by training camp. It just took forever to diagnose his bulging disc. It’s a relatively minor procedure that brings massive amounts of pain relief.

KingKev
07-15-2022, 07:18 AM

Do you have access to google?

JeffDuncan
07-15-2022, 09:14 AM
... I think Simmons will be good to go by training camp. It just took forever to diagnose his bulging disc. It’s a relatively minor procedure that brings massive amounts of pain relief.

Absolute nonsense. Where’d you come up with that? Disc problems are quick and easy to diagnose these days. There’s no chance that what you wrote is true.

Simmons didn’t play because he refused to play for Philly anymore, and it took Morey a long time to get the only trade he ever wanted, which was Harden.

Simmons claimed he had stayed in shape, but it was a fib, obviously. When he started practicing with the Nets he didn’t have the muscle tone to hold his spine in alignment, and excessive spinal curvature caused the disc to protrude. And they diagnosed it immediately, especially since he has some history of back trouble.

The slipped disc happened because he was too flabby when he started putting heavy strain on his back again.

The surgery he had is a treatment, not a cure. To avoid a recurrence he’ll need to maintain adequate muscle tone to keep his spine in alignment, like doing a couple hundred sit-ups and/or leg lifts every day. If he does that he could be ok. If he spends hours slouched in a chair playing video games he’ll have back trouble again.

I hope the Spurs never really wanted him. And never do want him.

KingKev
07-17-2022, 06:08 PM
Murray is FREE per his latest tweet. Crazy literally nobody wants to fking be here.

Time for a culture change.

DPG21920
07-17-2022, 06:35 PM
Murray is FREE per his latest tweet. Crazy literally nobody wants to fking be here.

Keldon just signed an extension - so clearly you’re wrong.

TD 21
07-17-2022, 06:57 PM

They haven't appealed to the vast majority of inner city types from the Robinson era on.

By continuing to maintain this archaic, militaristic "culture", it becomes even more paramount than it would be for any other non glamor market for their next star(s) to be foreign. No guarantees obviously, but a much better chance of them not feeling like an outsider.

Keldon just signed an extension - so clearly you’re wrong.

Of course, he hadn't "gotten paid" yet, so naturally he was going to prioritize that at this point in time. He also has a likely brief window where he gets to play a role that he wouldn't anywhere else.

If he had his druthers, he probably doesn't want to be here either (I'd already throw Wesley in too).

tonight...you
07-17-2022, 07:00 PM
It's time to sign us some Kyrie Irvings and Ben Simmonses.
Culture change!

GAustex
07-17-2022, 07:27 PM
Is that senile old drunk gonna put up with that culture change?

KingKev
07-17-2022, 07:48 PM
Culture change!

Says the old man who tells on ppl while staying at a 29.99 motel.

KingKev
07-17-2022, 07:56 PM
They haven't appealed to the vast majority of inner city types from the Robinson era on.

By continuing to maintain this archaic, militaristic "culture", it becomes even more paramount than it would be for any other non glamor market for their next star(s) to be foreign. No guarantees obviously, but a much better chance of them not feeling like an outsider.

Of course, he hadn't "gotten paid" yet, so naturally he was going to prioritize that at this point in time. He also has a likely brief window where he gets to play a role that he wouldn't anywhere else.

If he had his druthers, he probably doesn't want to be here either (I'd already throw Wesley in too).

Seriously man. Why is it so hard for Spurs fans to understand. This isn’t the old days of guys railing lines and fcking hoes an hour before practice but let these guys breathe.

scott
07-17-2022, 07:58 PM

No. Simmons isn’t a tier 1, or even a tier 2. Players who can’t play in the final few minutes can’t be considered stars. DJ > Ben, and Philly wanted multiple picks to go with DJ. Many of accurately pointed out at the time tha DJ was worth more than Ben

scott
07-17-2022, 08:07 PM
Loved DJM, but let’s face it - dude is a drama queen. I doubt Pop was stopping him from living whatever lifestyle he wanted, since he posted pics on private jets and LV bags full of cash on his IG. “Being free” is just more DJ drama.

DJ and Pop were a good match for the time it lasted. DJ prob isn’t in the league anymore if he gets drafted to LA, MIA or NY. Pop’s style is exactly what DJ needed entering the league, and DJ would prob even admit that. But wgaf if he goes to a strip club.

tonight...you
07-17-2022, 08:08 PM
I'm not old! Lol.
And yeah. I was freaking tired!
If I'm not getting it on, I don't want to hear others doing so while I'm trying to sleep!

You can can cuck it out.
Have at it!

tonight...you
07-17-2022, 08:11 PM
And I guess you don't go to LA.
Those rooms are not 29.99.
Not then, not now.
Lol.
Now getcha ass somewhere you know what you're talking about.

KingKev
07-17-2022, 08:11 PM
Loved DJM, but let’s face it - dude is a drama queen. I doubt Pop was stopping him from living whatever lifestyle he wanted, since he posted pics on private jets and LV bags full of cash on his IG. “Being free” is just more DJ drama.

DJ and Pop were a good match for the time it lasted. DJ prob isn’t in the league anymore if he gets drafted to LA, MIA or NY. Pop’s style is exactly what DJ needed entering the league, and DJ would prob even admit that. But wgaf if he goes to a strip club.

Preach. DJ and Pop both prospered and DJ mighta been outta the league without him but still we can’t just be a system where guys wanna get the fk outta dodge once they make it and DJ is a loyal dude so how many times are we going to repeat this process. PATFO need to tweak their culture if they want to win.

scott
07-17-2022, 08:16 PM
Yeah for sure… will be interesting what kind of culture Pop’s successor brings. And if Pop steps away from the team altogether when he stops coaching or if he keeps the President title and maintains a FO role

Rummpd
07-17-2022, 09:05 PM
Someone please help me with this, if it is presumed the the spurs do not know what they’re doing, why do some expect so much from them? Total foolishness!������ The fact that most of you truly don’t know how remarkable this ride has been over the last 25 yrs is baffling; ANY franchise & fanbase would change positions with usin a snap of a finger. Quit being little whiney boys bitching. That’s all and btw Spurs/Primo will be fine

Inane take - bottom line the Spurs front office has been beyond dismal for at least 7 years. They got nothing for the best talent they had, dumped other talent, make questionable draft choices and now got rid of their only star for a series of what will be high draft picks and more mediocre talent.

Atl Spur
07-17-2022, 09:12 PM
Inane take - bottom line the Spurs front office has been beyond dismal for at least 7 years. They got nothing for the best talent they had, dumped other talent, make questionable draft choices and now got rid of their only star for a series of what will be high draft picks and more mediocre talent.

Is it though?

scott
07-17-2022, 09:57 PM

Aside from Primo, what we the questionable draft choices? Spurs still rank very high as a top drafting team, and frankly it is too early to tell on Primo

rogcl1
07-17-2022, 10:01 PM
Inane take - bottom line the Spurs front office has .been beyond dismal for at least 7 years. They got nothing for the best talent they had, dumped other talent, make questionable draft choices and now got rid of their only star for a series of what will be high draft picks and more mediocre talent.

The Spurs were in the WCF up 20 in 2017 before the Zaza incident. Now granted ,they hung on to Aldridge too long after that and Kawhi sabotaged his value , but there is still a pick coming in on DeRozan and a probable pick for moving Poeltl. Could things have been done different , sure but there were some extenuating circumstances. But after hanging on trying to compete they have changed course and appear to be maximizing opportunities for a rebuild. There are several years to be questioned but 7 years does not fit that criticism.

TD 21
07-17-2022, 11:14 PM
Culture change!

Right, because there's no middle ground between the two.

Seriously man. Why is it so hard for Spurs fans to understand. This isn’t the old days of guys railing lines and fcking hoes an hour before practice but let these guys breathe.

In an ideal world, I'd like it to be like the Duncan era forever too, but it's just not realistic.

They're going to have to change with the times or continue to get left behind.

They can start by hiring a young black or biracial coach, but they won't.

tonight...you
07-17-2022, 11:24 PM

In an ideal world, I'd like it to be like the Duncan era forever too, but it's just not realistic.

Marcus Morris?

TD 21
07-17-2022, 11:28 PM
Marcus Morris?

What's the alternative? Continuing to bury their head in the sand because of five rings?

Not being appealing to a majority of the best talent is a major issue, especially in a non glamor market.

J_Paco
07-18-2022, 12:06 AM

Um.....Mitch Johnson is both young (35 years old) and biracial/Black. So, that already destroys this point entirely.

And I think they have "lightened up" as far as culture or coaching style is concern. Pop is far more lenient and less of a task master like back in the day.

And they've taken chances on some headcases in the past (does the name Stephen Jackson ring a bell), but are likely more hesitant to bring in that type with how young the roster is. There are probably other guys with similar issues that came by San Antonio, but I cam recall off hand.

Ice009
07-18-2022, 01:48 AM
Do you have access to google?

I've never given a shit about Simmons to want to know anything about him. Waste of my time to look it up. I thought he was 6'9".

RC_Drunkford
07-18-2022, 07:46 AM

Last 5 years. 2017 was when they started to do dumb shit with the Mills and Gasol extensions. That being said last offseason was ok, so I‘d say they were terrible from 2017 to 2020

BatManu20
07-18-2022, 08:53 AM
Deleted it immediately of course.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FX7KvtaXEAErxsO?format=jpg&name=medium

KingKev
07-18-2022, 08:55 AM

couchman
07-18-2022, 09:12 AM
I get the sense that DJM's expectations for this next season are sky high and we'll find out how "FREE" and "HAPPY" he'll feel if those aren't met.
That one tweet alone probably cost him some fans: Spurs fans who would have been rooting for him this season but are feeling less enthused about it now

KingKev
07-18-2022, 09:20 AM

I get the sense that DJM's expectations for this next season are sky high and we'll find out how "FREE" and "HAPPY" he'll feel if those aren't met.
That one tweet alone probably cost him some fans: Spurs fans who would have been rooting for him this season but are feeling less enthused about it now

haha he just gained 100x the amount of fans in a better city on a team that has a chance at some success.

couchman
07-18-2022, 09:49 AM
My main point is that we've seen teams assemble All-star squads only to have it all come crumbling down quickly when they don't meet lofty expectations.
Just look at the Lakers and Nets right now.
I think there's a solid chance that things in Atlanta don't meet expectations.
Even if they are a good team, will they truly contend for a title in the next few years?
I think beating out the Celtics, Bucks, and Heat will be difficult

KingKev
07-18-2022, 10:26 AM
My main point is that we've seen teams assemble All-star squads only to have it all come crumbling down quickly when they don't meet lofty expectations.
Just look at the Lakers and Nets right now.
I think there's a solid chance that things in Atlanta don't meet expectations.
Even if they are a good team, will they truly contend for a title in the next few years?
I think beating out the Celtics, Bucks, and Heat will be difficult

It doesn’t have to be boom or bust. The same ppl who hate LBJ for being boom or bust have the same mentality towards the rest of the league. ATLs expectations are to be better than last year, that’s it.

Wasn’t it Pop who compared winning a title to chipping away at a rock with an icepick?

TD 21
07-18-2022, 10:31 AM
Um.....Mitch Johnson is both young (35 years old) and biracial/Black. So, that already destroys this point entirely.

And I think they have "lightened up" as far as culture or coaching style is concern. Pop is far more lenient and less of a task master like back in the day.

And they've taken chances on some headcases in the past (does the name Stephen Jackson ring a bell), but are likely more hesitant to bring in that type with how young the roster is. There are probably other guys with similar issues that came by San Antonio, but I cam recall off hand.

He's an assistant, light skin (colorism unfortunately still exists in the "black community") and more than likely suburban. He probably doesn't relate to someone like Murray much more than Pop does.

You're shooting the messenger. I'm not defending these brats/divas, I'm just saying this is the reality so it's either adapt or die.

KingKev
07-18-2022, 10:38 AM
He's an assistant, light skin (colorism unfortunately still exists in the "black community") and more than likely suburban. He probably doesn't relate to someone like Murray much more than Pop does.

You're shooting the messenger. I'm not defending these brats/divas, I'm just saying this is the reality so it's either adapt or die.

It’s not even about race anymore. Guys that got it out the mud might be rough around the edges elsewhere. Who gives AF.

In society we push diversity for many reasons including the synergies that accompany different ppl coming together for the same common goal. PATFO pushes diversity in that you can look different but still need to be a robot. It’s pure hypocrisy.

Atl Spur
07-18-2022, 12:17 PM
Free? That’s funny! Spurs will be laughing all the way to the bank on this one:) this was the best
Time to say adios to DJ; I wish him much success just with us:)

scott
07-18-2022, 01:17 PM

This is a really good point. We saw DJM express a chip on his shoulder last season at being the first time he was the #1 option, and he seemed to have a lot of pride in that. But I'd say that DDR was way more deferential than Trae will be in Atlanta. We'll see how FREE and HAPPY DJM is when Trae rolls down the court and starts chucking logo 3s without DJM ever getting a chance to even touch the ball.

I still want DJM to succeed, but this pairing in ATL has a lot of boom/bust potential.

Seventyniner
07-18-2022, 02:06 PM
I still want DJM to succeed, but this pairing in ATL has a lot of boom/bust potential.

I agree, and that's exactly what the Spurs want. If the Hawks turn into busts by 2025 those unprotected picks and the unprotected swap are going to be extremely valuable.

J_Paco
07-18-2022, 03:52 PM

Dog, he has worked his way up the staff, could end up like James Barrego, Will Hardy and Chad Forcier (not yet) as sought after young coaches.

I wouldn't assume anything about his upbringing or background based on skin complexion. Anyway, they do need a young coach/voice (that we agree on), unfortunately that isn't happening until Pop hangs them up.

At least the team is going in a younger direction (finally), will actually start drafting in the top 5 of the lottery and will hopefully find their next franchise player soon.

TD 21
07-18-2022, 04:43 PM
Dog, he has worked his way up the staff, could end up like James Barrego, Will Hardy and Chad Forcier (not yet) as sought after young coaches.

I wouldn't assume anything about his upbringing or background based on skin complexion. Anyway, they do need a young coach/voice (that we agree on), unfortunately that isn't happening until Pop hangs them up.

At least the team is going in a younger direction (finally), will actually start drafting in the top 5 of the lottery and will hopefully find their next franchise player soon.

I'm not knocking Johnson nor am I assuming anything, which is why I said "more than likely" and "probably".

If you look at the coaches who supposedly relate best to players, they're ones who aren't overly old and speak their language so to speak. Even in the national media, the ones who have the most access to them, same thing. It's not a coincidence.

John B
07-18-2022, 04:56 PM

Well good riddance :lmao

So who's saying this IG baller was Spurs for Life? :lmao. Again the guy's all talk, not very Spursy. And I'm sure the PATFO considered that and I doubt they would've given him the max. Not the player to build around on, imo.

RC_Drunkford
07-18-2022, 04:57 PM
I'm pretty sure the culture will change once we got the coke sniffing coach who fucked his players girlfriend

KingKev
07-18-2022, 05:05 PM
I'm pretty sure the culture will change once we got the coke sniffing coach who fucked his players girlfriend

He sounds like he is winning to me!

paperboy77
07-18-2022, 05:35 PM

Just because? Fuck that get the best that's out there.

J_Paco
07-18-2022, 06:30 PM
I'm not knocking Johnson nor am I assuming anything, which is why I said "more than likely" and "probably".

If you look at the coaches who supposedly relate best to players, they're ones who aren't overly old and speak their language so to speak. Even in the national media, the ones who have the most access to them, same thing. It's not a coincidence.

I got you, man. I think for the first time ever on here we are on the same page team - wise. I was just stating that they do have a young, Black coach, but I get that you meant as a head coach.

That may or may not be in the cards. My thing is finding and cultivating the (elite) talent that we clearly lack.

J_Paco
07-18-2022, 06:31 PM

Derek Fisher? Who are you referencing with this remark?

tonight...you
07-18-2022, 06:36 PM
Derek Fisher? Who are you referencing with this remark?
Quinn Snyder

PhantomDashCam
07-18-2022, 06:49 PM
Deleted it immediately of course...

DJ still is very much an "Off the Cuff" type of Social Media user. I personally think it's just youthful exuberance, the fresh start talking, rather than some premeditated Spurs slander.
Wish him well. Move was in the best interest of both parties on further consideration (Hawks short term, Spurs Long term).

scott
07-18-2022, 07:27 PM

scott
07-18-2022, 07:29 PM
People saying its fake tho

KingKev
07-18-2022, 07:35 PM
^ haha I don’t care who wrote that comment it is spot on.

DPG21920
07-18-2022, 08:13 PM
Doesn’t seem fake…pretty low of him if true.

tonight...you
07-18-2022, 08:17 PM
Doesn’t seem fake…pretty low of him if true.
He can think whatever he wants.
Doesn't matter.
Let's see him lead a team to 5 'chips.
Let's see him lead his team to one.
Let's see him get even close to one.

GAustex
07-18-2022, 08:18 PM
I miss Tim Duncan

tonight...you
07-18-2022, 08:21 PM
I miss Tim Duncan
We all miss him.
The Perfect Spur.

Insane how the stars aligned.
I'm so glad to have experienced his career.

My mother was a huge Spur fan.
She died March of '14.

Them winning that year was such a great and also sad day at the same time.

Never forget it.

scott
07-18-2022, 08:22 PM
Dang its real, which is pretty wild.

I guess you can say... In the end, Murray was not a culture fit.

Dejounte
07-18-2022, 08:24 PM
Yep, I looked for it too and found it. :lmao

tonight...you
07-18-2022, 08:24 PM

Like a kid thinking he can now do what he wants.
No prob.
We'll see how it goes.

RC_Drunkford
07-18-2022, 08:26 PM
He‘s probably just joking with the guy, but Spurs „culture“ seems to be rubbing a lot of people the wrong way. Remember when there were rumors about Dedmon and Simmons not wanting to be educated about black culture by an old white man :lol

Dejounte
07-18-2022, 08:27 PM
DJ still is very much an "Off the Cuff" type of Social Media user. I personally think it's just youthful exuberance, the fresh start talking, rather than some premeditated Spurs slander.
Wish him well. Move was in the best interest of both parties on further consideration (Hawks short term, Spurs Long term).

I don’t know if youth can still be used as an excuse here. He’s 25. That’s an adult man who has a ton of responsibility for his platform. He’s a dick, period.

DPG21920
07-18-2022, 08:28 PM
Still wish him the best but lets see how his career turns out and how the Spurs do. Spurs have a lot to prove tbh..

GB20
07-18-2022, 08:29 PM

Dawn! The spurs avoided another Drama with this guy.

KingKev
07-18-2022, 08:30 PM
I don’t know if youth can still be used as an excuse here. He’s 25. That’s an adult man who has a ton of responsibility for his platform. He’s a dick, period.

haha are we talking about the player or the forum member?
timvp can you pls grant this man’s name change request

GAustex
07-18-2022, 08:31 PM
He OK just not all that
He got better for that good for him
He ain’t worth what he thinks and prolly gonna get
Spurs got a decent haul for DJM

Dejounte
07-18-2022, 08:33 PM
haha are we talking about the player or the forum member?
timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) can you pls grant this man’s name change request

When you gonna leave, bruh? Amazes me how much you lack in self-awareness. Figures you’d side with a dude trashing a team you supposedly are a fan of. It’s some type of dedication to spend your negative energy on a daily for the next 15 years and be a bitch about it.

tonight...you
07-18-2022, 08:34 PM
He is who he is.
Not a bad person.
Just a guy who does what he does and some of it can rub people the wrong way.

Some of what he says can be right and some of what he says can be wrong.

Just like all of us.

His major difference is that he has a much larger platform and many more people have eyeballs on him.

How he uses his platform is how we will view him and I get where you're coming from.
He's not the most diplomatic of personalities.

scott
07-18-2022, 08:36 PM
I'm just glad I can now safely call this dude out for the Capitalize Every First Sentence Typing Shit.

You're 25 man, never too late for some proper fuckin' grammar.

Dejounte
07-18-2022, 08:37 PM
This cuck and all the other cucks who spend so much time on this forum because they’re so unhappy with their lives that they spout their garbage and dissatisfaction for a team that they’re trying to like so bad and cling on to for their dear boring lives. :lmao :lmao

KingKev
When you gonna leave, bruh? Amazes me how much you lack in self-awareness. Figures you’d side with a dude trashing a team you supposedly are a fan of. It’s some type of dedication to spend your negative energy on a daily for the next 15 years and be a bitch about it.

He is saying what some of us are thinking. I don’t follow anything in life blindly so when someone who was apart if this organization for so long says what I’m thinking about PATFO I personally feel vindicated.

RC_Drunkford
I ask myself this question: what exactly is it that’s wrong in that system? That‘s the more interesting thing to me. My guess would be :pop:

GAustex
07-18-2022, 08:39 PM
I ask myself this question: what exactly is it that’s wrong in that system? That‘s the more interesting thing to me. My guess would be :pop:
Bingo

KingKev
07-18-2022, 08:40 PM
I'm just glad I can now safely call this dude out for the Capitalize Every First Sentence Typing Shit.

You're 25 man, never too late for some proper fuckin' grammar.

haha frfr. Message aside he doesn’t do himself any favours with that shit.

scott
07-18-2022, 08:42 PM
DJ and Cam Newton should look for a 2 for 1 GroupOn on how to post on social media like a normal adult.

rankingtear
07-18-2022, 08:46 PM

Selling talent until you find a generational one is what's wrong. It could be a year or it could be 15.

KingKev
07-18-2022, 08:49 PM
Selling talent until you find a generational one is what's wrong. It could be a year or it could be 15.

Even if we had that talent he’d have to be a Spurs culture guy. So not only are we looking for generational talent but he also needs to be a generational human by PATFOs standards.

poopbox
07-18-2022, 08:51 PM
Big Dick Jounte shitting on the Spurs. I guess Primo should have hugged him more :lol

scott
07-18-2022, 08:53 PM

I mean, even if you look past the Big 3 era, it's a system that turned a trio of 29th overall picks into:

1. A key role player on an NBA Finals Team
2. An all-star who yielded a massive trade haul
3. A 17ppg overachiever now sitting on an $80million extension

It's also a system that's created a coaching tree that extends to over 1/4 of all the head coaches in the league

I'd be legitimately curious what beefs DJM could have with the system. DJM never got the Tony Parker treatment, but was rather developed a pretty smart manner for a raw 29th overall pick. I doubt DJM is thinking that the system should have tanked harder after KL wanted out.

Let's go back to the era of KL demanding a trade - what is your timeline of the moves the Spurs FO should have made instead to make DJM love "the system"?

DPG21920
07-18-2022, 08:57 PM
I mean, even if you look past the Big 3 era, it's a system that turned a trio of 29th overall picks into:

It's also a system that's created a coaching tree that extends to over 1/4 of all the head coaches in the league

I'd be legitimately curious what beefs DJM could have with the system. DJM never got the Tony Parker treatment, but was rather developed a pretty smart manner for a raw 29th overall pick. I doubt DJM is thinking that the system should have tanked harder after KL wanted out.

Let's go back to the era of KL demanding a trade - what is your timeline of the moves the Spurs FO should have made instead to make DJM love "the system"?

Ehhh. Valuing guys like Mills and not giving White/Murray ANY minutes…all egregious and called out by several of us over the years. But SA has a lot to prove - hopefully they use his comments as fuel and execute their plan

FkLA
07-18-2022, 08:58 PM

I mean he was all "Spurs way this, Spurs way that" up until the trade rumors started. He's always been an over emotional dude..so if reports of him never asking for a trade are true, hes just acting like a scorned ex, tbh.

KingKev
07-18-2022, 09:00 PM
Ehhh. Valuing guys like Mills and not giving White/Murray ANY minutes…all egregious and called out by several of us over the years. But SA has a lot to prove - hopefully they use his comments as fuel and execute their plan

Yeah, the ball is in PATFOs court now. Execute. 4yrs removed from the KL saga and you are the worst team in the league with virtually nothing to show.

RC_Drunkford
07-18-2022, 09:05 PM

you are talking basketball system. He clearly said there are internal problems bigger than basketball. I‘m not talking about basketball here. It has seemed to me for a while that how the franchise did things off the court is what‘s problematic in certain areas. I think the old man is out of tune, holding the franchise hostage with his ego. Ever since the 2014 title Pop got too full of himself preaching all this getting over yourself stuff while being out here chasing his records and starting Bryn Forbes. This franchise needs to adjust its culture and it can only happen with a new head coach who is in full control

Leetonidas
07-18-2022, 09:08 PM

Lmao. Fuck Instagram Baller

Leetonidas
07-18-2022, 09:09 PM
I mean he was all "Spurs way this, Spurs way that" up until the trade rumors started. He's always been an over emotional dude..so if reports of him never asking for a trade are true, hes just acting like a scorned ex, tbh.

Yup. Dudes just asshurt the Spurs didn't want to pay him 42M on his next deal

scott
07-18-2022, 09:10 PM

In the first year after the KL debacle (2018-19), DJM was out for the season and Derrick (in his second season) got more minutes and started ahead of Patty, despite Patty being a more efficient player per advanced stats. Then Derrick "broke out" in the playoffs.

In the next season, DJ's first year back after injury, both DJM and Derrick played ahead of Patty. Only DDR and LMA played more minutes than the range DJM and Derrick were playing (around 25 per game).

Season after that... DJM and Derrick were both 30 mpg players while Patty stayed at 25 mpg.

If you want to go back to Derrick's rookie year/DJ's 2nd year, you probably have a good case, but DJM still played 21mpg and played enough to win All NBA Defensive 2nd Team. We were also coming off a season where we probably should have won the title, still had Tony and Manu, and probably didn't expect KL to miss the entire season.

Should DJM played ahead of Patty his rookie year? We were one of the best teams in the league, probably not the time to experiment with a raw 29th pick.

If anything, there is probably a better case for how Patty and Bryn stunted Lonnie's development more than DJM or Derrick.

scott
07-18-2022, 09:12 PM
you are talking basketball system. He clearly said there are internal problems bigger than basketball. I‘m not talking about basketball here. It has seemed to me for a while that how the franchise did things off the court is what‘s problematic in certain areas. I think the old man is out of tune, holding the franchise hostage with his ego. Ever since the 2014 title Pop got too full of himself preaching all this getting over yourself stuff while being out here chasing his records and starting Bryn Forbes. This franchise needs to adjust its culture and it can only happen with a new head coach who is in full control

What do you think those beyond basketball things are? What are the problematic off the court things the franchise does that is hurting the program and the players? I'm genuinely curious, not asking sarcastically.

exstatic
07-18-2022, 09:17 PM

I don’t think they’re holding out for generational. It would be nice, but they’d probably settle for a solid franchise guy that could take them a few rounds deep, and maybe if the stars align, a chip. You have to churn the guys who aren’t that,because otherwise, you end up paying too many mediocre players, and lose the ability to accrue draft picks. OKC is approaching that threshold now, and the only young player they’re paying is SGA.

RC_Drunkford
07-18-2022, 09:24 PM
​
What do you think those beyond basketball things are? What are the problematic off the court things the franchise does that is hurting the program and the players? I'm genuinely curious, not asking sarcastically.

I obviously don’t know what‘s going on behind the scenes, but as I mentioned in 2017 there was some clique buidling going on between the older and younger guys (Dedmon, Simmons, Kawhi) with reports saying that they didn‘t want to be educated about black culture by an old white guy or something along those lines. Then there‘s the thing TimVP said about somebody clashing with Kawhi who can‘t be fired. Then there‘s the whole military pecking order Pop been running. Now there have been reports about a rift in the front office on which direction to go in the future. I can‘t point the finger at one thing, but it‘s certainly not running as smooth as the Spurs make it seem to be.

Atl Spur
07-18-2022, 09:24 PM
Damn DJ! It’s always how you leave…… Good thing I’m a fan of the name on the front of the jersey, not the back:) Atlanta got raped , they just don’t know it yet!

RC_Drunkford
07-18-2022, 09:28 PM

and by the way if you want to know what I think the FO has done wrong basketball wise I made a whole thread about it years ago

scott
07-18-2022, 09:31 PM
​

I obviously don’t know what‘s going on behind the scenes, but as I mentioned in 2017 there was some clique buidling going on between the older and younger guys (Dedmon, Simmons, Kawhi) with reports saying that they didn‘t want to be educated about black culture by an old white guy or something along those lines. Then there‘s the thing TimVP said about somebody clashing with Kawhi who can‘t be fired. Then there‘s the whole military pecking order Pop been running. Now there have been reports about a rift in the front office on which direction to go in the future. I can‘t point the finger at one thing, but it‘s certainly not running as smooth as the Spurs make it seem to be.

That's interesting. It seems like things have become more player friendly the last few years (from the outside looking in). It has seemed like the military pecking order thing has kind of gone away, but maybe not behind the scenes. And I wonder how Timmy's stint on the bench played into this, or Manu's current role with the team. Perhaps it is viewed by current players as not letting go of the past, whereas us fans see it as bringing the thread of success to the next generation.

Or... maybe there is just someone untouchable in the FO who everyone hates? Or maybe they view Brian Wright as incompetent? I could see how the bag that McBuckets got last offseason could send a bad message to the team as well. For one of the highest paid players on the team to be such a role player might have sat wrong with a lot of current players who felt they were more deserving (though its not like DJM could have gotten anything more out of it - he clearly didn't want the extension he was eligible for).

Atl Spur
07-18-2022, 09:32 PM
​

Bro, that’s just life! Perfect is an illusion until you find the remedy, always have been. I know now that some do it better than others…..not a big deal! Kawhi and DJ both will see soon enough why most franchises model themselves after that small market team in south Texas! DJ in Atlanta can go either way but if I had to put some dough on it, I’m going shit show & bail in two years. Atlanta has way to much stuff going on for regular people��

Mr. Body
07-18-2022, 09:34 PM
​

Lol what military pecking order? What fictional bullshit is that?

Mr. Body
07-18-2022, 09:36 PM
Dejounte is more of a baller type who thinks only baller types can win. He has a lot of Stephen A. Smith to him. Guessing, if this isn't just joshing, he thinks the franchise will struggle because it doesn't cater to the baller class, when they've won 5 championships not doing so.

In fact ballers have never won any championship.

RC_Drunkford
07-18-2022, 09:36 PM
Lol what military pecking order? What fictional bullshit is that?

I‘m not talking about last season. You forgot the 2 years of Bryn Forbes starting at SG huh?

Mr. Body
07-18-2022, 09:40 PM
I‘m not talking about last season. You forgot the 2 years of Bryn Forbes starting at SG huh?

That's a military pecking order? What was his rank? LMAO.

RC_Drunkford
07-18-2022, 09:41 PM
That's interesting. It seems like things have become more player friendly the last few years (from the outside looking in). It has seemed like the military pecking order thing has kind of gone away, but maybe not behind the scenes. And I wonder how Timmy's stint on the bench played into this, or Manu's current role with the team. Perhaps it is viewed by current players as not letting go of the past, whereas us fans see it as bringing the thread of success to the next generation.

Or... maybe there is just someone untouchable in the FO who everyone hates? Or maybe they view Brian Wright as incompetent? I could see how the bag that McBuckets got last offseason could send a bad message to the team as well. For one of the highest paid players on the team to be such a role player might have sat wrong with a lot of current players who felt they were more deserving (though its not like DJM could have gotten anything more out of it - he clearly didn't want the extension he was eligible for).

I think Pop only knows how to do things one way and that‘s when he had Tim and the team was a contender. It‘s easy to have new guys buy in when they come to a franchise that has been in the playoffs for 20 years. A lot of that stuff doesn‘t work when you‘re in the bottom half of the conference. He‘s obviously changing it up with the young guys now though.

RC_Drunkford
07-18-2022, 09:43 PM
That's a military pecking order? What was his rank? LMAO.

starting SG. „He reminds me of Steph“ :lol

This is more about the old days when he played his guys, mainly the vets while having young guys sit there and watch Belinelli play defense

KingKev
07-18-2022, 09:44 PM
Dejounte is more of a baller type who thinks only baller types can win. He has a lot of Stephen A. Smith to him. Guessing, if this isn't just joshing, he thinks the franchise will struggle because it doesn't cater to the baller class, when they've won 5 championships not doing so.

Those 5 chips were because of Tim Duncan who was able to both lead and navigate all personalities in the interest of winning. Tim Duncan would have adored a teammate like DJ.

rankingtear
07-18-2022, 09:58 PM
​

I thought it was known that DRob was the one clashing with Kawhi. He even made an appearance on draft day to make up for it haha.

Atl Spur
07-18-2022, 10:08 PM
Those 5 chips were because of Tim Duncan who was able to both lead and navigate all personalities in the interest of winning. Tim Duncan would have adored a teammate like DJ.

I’d have to disagree……DJ’s super ra ra! He says the right things but you can’t fake forever ( grandma told us that our whole lives ) be who you are!

TD 21
07-18-2022, 11:08 PM
[/B]

Just because? Fuck that get the best that's out there.

In virtually everything else, I'd agree. In this, get someone who can "relate" to the majority of these players.

Besides, there is no such thing as "best" coach or candidate anyway. It's all subjective.

tim_duncan_fan
07-18-2022, 11:54 PM

Funny thing is, he's not a baller like that. He's not Demar. He's not even JCrossover.

He WANTS. to be a street-cred-focused decent player, but we'll see how he looks in Atlanta. He was a very borderline all-star on a team with no one else to take shots.

But we'll see how he looks in Atlanta.

offset formation
07-19-2022, 12:03 AM

Changing user name to Dick, Period anytime soon?

Kidding.

The Truth #6
07-19-2022, 12:11 AM
He’s impulsive. He’s also driven. I guess it combines in awkward ways. I’d say he’s maybe not so much a dick but rather someone who is constantly saying shit. He probably contradicts himself a lot. Anyway, whether or not he said this stuff, his legacy with the team is from a time that will largely be forgotten whether fans still like him or not.

It’s like debating who was better, Alvin Robertson or Walter Berry. No one cares years later.

offset formation
07-19-2022, 12:13 AM
I don’t think they’re holding out for generational. It would be nice, but they’d probably settle for a solid franchise guy that could take them a few rounds deep, and maybe if the stars align, a chip. You have to churn the guys who aren’t that,because otherwise, you end up paying too many mediocre players, and lose the ability to accrue draft picks. OKC is approaching that threshold now, and the only young player they’re paying is SGA.

I think OKC is perfectly threading the needle. Houston also appears to be doing well and are on a good trajectory following the Harden trade. Time will tell for us.

XDT76
07-19-2022, 01:07 AM

Finance, I think the thing most upset him probably is the team trading away white and putting Poeltl up for trade during last trade deadline and probably telling him they are not going to pursue Levine nor pay him max after his contract end.

scott
07-19-2022, 01:48 AM
I usually give guys a pass for the dumb shit they tweeted when they were kids... but someone unearthed this gem and I think it's funny.

In the end, Murray was not a culture fit

scott
07-19-2022, 01:49 AM
This Guy Has Been Typing Like This For Almost A Decade Jesus F'n Christ

Uriel
07-19-2022, 06:09 AM
I don't understand why Spurs fans are heckling DJ on social media. He obviously wanted to be in San Antonio and was hurt that he was traded so now he's overcompensating. No need to make him feel worse.

exstatic
07-19-2022, 06:33 AM
He’s impulsive. He’s also driven. I guess it combines in awkward ways. I’d say he’s maybe not so much a dick but rather someone who is constantly saying shit. He probably contradicts himself a lot. Anyway, whether or not he said this stuff, his legacy with the team is from a time that will largely be forgotten whether fans still like him or not.

It’s like debating who was better, Alvin Robertson or Walter Berry. No one cares years later.

Alvin. I care, and it’s not even close. He was a multi All Star, multi All D, one time All NBA selection.

Ice009
07-19-2022, 06:45 AM
I thought it was known that DRob was the one clashing with Kawhi. He even made an appearance on draft day to make up for it haha.

I've never heard this. If it was D-Rob, what were they clashing about? And which draft day are you referring to? Didn't D-Rob also try and talk to Kawhi when he asked out?

exstatic
07-19-2022, 06:46 AM
I think OKC is perfectly threading the needle. Houston also appears to be doing well and are on a good trajectory following the Harden trade. Time will tell for us.

We’ll see. OKC wasn’t able to rent cap room this summer, and used and traded FIVE FRPs.

exstatic
07-19-2022, 06:48 AM
I don't understand why Spurs fans are heckling DJ on social media. He obviously wanted to be in San Antonio and was hurt that he was traded so now he's overcompensating. No need to make him feel worse.

This.

Texas_Ranger
07-19-2022, 06:49 AM
Hes not wrong about the Spurs. We are a joke. But whoever thought this guy was something special is also pretty stupid... at least not as stupid as him, cause watching this retard type is another level of stupidity.
Enjoy Atlanta and being Traes bitch.

KingKev
07-19-2022, 06:53 AM

I couldn’t agree more. He’s responding in an immature way to the business side of the game.

He wanted to be here going into free agency I mean he was publicly recruiting Lavine.

If he continues the level of play he showed this past season he will get his max deal for certain.

John B
07-19-2022, 07:36 AM
Alvin. I care, and it’s not even close. He was a multi All Star, multi All D, one time All NBA selection.

Quadruple-double

BatManu20
07-19-2022, 08:00 AM

Cause a large portion of Spurfan are spoiled turds tbh.

RC_Drunkford
07-19-2022, 08:12 AM
I couldn’t agree more. He’s responding in an immature way to the business side of the game.

He wanted to be here going into free agency I mean he was publicly recruiting Lavine.

If he continues the level of play he showed this past season he will get his max deal for certain.

I'm pretty sure his stats will take a dip especially in assists and rebounds, so I don't think he will be viewed as a max player. With that being said I assume he will shoot the 3 better and I actually see the Trae Young/DJ pairing working pretty well

Dejounte
07-19-2022, 08:13 AM
https://twitter.com/zachcolwellptr/status/1549368966677639168

exstatic
07-19-2022, 08:16 AM
I'm pretty sure his stats will take a dip especially in assists and rebounds, so I don't think he will be viewed as a max player. With that being said I assume he will shoot the 3 better and I actually see the Trae Young/DJ pairing working pretty well

You’re in the minority with your opinion. DJ has always been fairly meh as an off ball player, and he’ll be nothing else in a lineup with Trae.

RC_Drunkford
07-19-2022, 08:20 AM
You’re in the minority with your opinion. DJ has always been fairly meh as an off ball player, and he’ll be nothing else in a lineup with Trae.

maybe, but he shot 32% last season. It's not far fetched to think he could up that to 36%. Also Atlanta's issue is defense, since everybody will just be standing around on offense watching Trae Young do all kind of shit, while he's a traffic cone on defense. They need somebody to set the tone on D and DJ is certainly the right guy for that. He also got some pretty good roll men on that team who are more skilled than Jakob on offense