PDA

View Full Version : 2023 NBA DRAFT

Pages : [1] 2 3

Big Empty
07-02-2022, 05:51 PM
I know its super early. But is it true that the NBA is going to allow drafting players straight out of high school again? If so its going to be exciting!

BatManu20
07-02-2022, 05:56 PM
The tank for Wemby down the stretch of this season is gonna be wild.

Robz4000
07-02-2022, 05:59 PM
I know its super early. But is it true that the NBA is going to allow drafting players straight out of high school again? If so its going to be exciting!

Not in 2023 it looks like.

rascal
07-04-2022, 08:54 PM
There are some great players in this draft. I've been looking into some of the players projected in the top few picks.
The Spurs are going to add a great player.

If the Spurs don't get 1 they can get a PG better than Murray in Scoot Henderson at 2.

Or Dariq Whitehead.

Spurs will fall into the top 3 or 4 picks.

rascal
07-04-2022, 09:05 PM
The spurs need to trade with Charlotte(send them Poeltl) to have them lift the protections on their pick even if they let Charlotte keep the pick if it's first overall.

Spurs get lucky with the first pick, their own pick take Wembanyama(5 locked up) and get Charlotte's pick at 2 take Scoot Henderson(1 locked up).

lmbebo
07-04-2022, 09:46 PM
The spurs need to trade with Charlotte(send them Poeltl) to have them lift the protections on their pick even if they let Charlotte keep the pick if it's first overall.

Spurs get lucky with the first pick, their own pick take Wembanyama(5 locked up) and get Charlotte's pick at 2 take Scoot Henderson(1 locked up).

Charlotte is in rebuild mode again. With Bridges being a punk a$$ human being, they basically are putting all players up for sale except LaMelo.

They aren't going to remove any protections most likely unless you are taking back Rozier and Hayward.

rascal
07-04-2022, 10:27 PM
Charlotte is in rebuild mode again. With Bridges being a punk a$$ human being, they basically are putting all players up for sale except LaMelo.

They aren't going to remove any protections most likely unless you are taking back Rozier and Hayward.

Agree, unfortunately that Charlotte pick won't be a future first round pick.

XDT76
07-04-2022, 11:54 PM
Agree, unfortunately that Charlotte pick won't be a future first round pick.

They probably have to make it to PO, else Ball will leave

spurs10
07-05-2022, 12:30 AM
What is the 'protect' on that Cha pick. Top 5?

SPURt
07-05-2022, 12:44 AM
What is the 'protect' on that Cha pick. Top 5?
Top 16…

lmbebo
07-05-2022, 07:11 AM
if Bridges was going back to CHA, chance that 1st would have conveyed to the Spurs. But CHA blowing things up means that we most likely we received 2 FRPs from ATL and 2 SRPs from CHA in the Murray trade.

I can't see CHA really doing that well over the next 2-3 seasons unless they win the lottery next year and get that french kid

mo7888
07-05-2022, 07:42 AM

I don't think they've put everyone up for sale or bailed on pushing for the playoffs because of Bridges... I do think it changes their priorities though...before getting off Hayward to help their cap situation was a priority...now not nearly as much...they're more likely to be buyers now than sellers.... players like Jak and KJ are probably higher on their list now than before Miles decided to ruin his leverage with resigning...

offset formation
07-05-2022, 08:04 AM
The tank for Wemby down the stretch of this season is gonna be wild.

Certainly between the 3rd and 4th place team. Theres gonna be some seriously overt player personnel choices to lose and it should be hilarious.

Kurik
07-05-2022, 10:40 AM
The projected top 5 in 2023 would have potentially supplanted the majority of the top 5 in 2022. Granted the next year has to play out and prospects can get injured or underperform. Just preparing mentally that the Spurs won’t get #1 but they should still get someone with way more upside than all of our teenagers.

exstatic
07-05-2022, 11:11 AM
Top 16…

16 for year one, 14 for years 2 and 3. It was basically a throw in pick that we got so we could say we got 3 FRPs.

They literally can’t have a fire sale, unless it includes LaMelo. They desperately need to make the playoffs, or he’s gone.

exstatic
07-05-2022, 11:17 AM

They have a multi talented young PG who made the ASG in year two, and can be offered an MAX extension next summer, and you think they’re going to blow it up for a 14% chance at Wembanyana? If they miss, Ball is gone, and they have neither. I feel comfortable in saying, barring an injury to Ball, CHA will be one of the only borderline playoff teams that will NOT tank this year.

rascal
07-05-2022, 11:24 AM
Still think getting Charlotte to lift protections on their pick due to the spurs, except for first overall which would make Charlotte more liekly to lift the protections is the spurs best chance of getting another lottery pick in next year's draft.

Trade Keldon and or Poeltl to them.

Next year's lottery class has some great players and it would be smart if the spurs can get two lottery picks (even if the Charlotte pick is protected for number 1).

lmbebo
07-05-2022, 11:26 AM
They have a multi talented young PG who made the ASG in year two, and can be offered an MAX extension next summer, and you think they’re going to blow it up for a 14% chance at Wembanyana? If they miss, Ball is gone, and they have neither. I feel comfortable in saying, barring an injury to Ball, CHA will be one of the only borderline playoff teams that will NOT tank this year.

Saw a tweet, that all pieces are moveable for them. Without bridges, I don't think they are even a play-in team.

They've been out there wanting to move on from the money owed to Hayward and Rozier.

exstatic
07-05-2022, 12:00 PM
Saw a tweet, that all pieces are moveable for them. Without bridges, I don't think they are even a play-in team.

They've been out there wanting to move on from the money owed to Hayward and Rozier.

The problem is, to get rid of Rozier and Hayward, they're going to have to PAY assets, slowing any rebuild. They might as well put Lamelo on the market if they do that.

Seventyniner
07-05-2022, 12:11 PM
I don't understand the whole idea of trading assets to Charlotte to get them to weaken the protections on their 2023 first that the Spurs now have. If the Spurs make the Hornets better, the protections are less likely to matter because their pick would be lower. I guess the best-case scenario would be that the Hornets think they improve enough to remove the protections, then miss the playoffs anyway. But is that worth burning assets (Poeltl, maybe Keldon?) that could return actual picks of their own elsewhere? Unless the Hornets get decimated by injuries, even if they fall into the lottery they will probably be at the bottom (pick 13/14) anyway.

There's a point where even a pick in the 20s from a good team is worth more than a chance at a small handful of ping pong balls, even for a true game changer like Wembanyama.

rascal
07-05-2022, 01:12 PM
I don't understand the whole idea of trading assets to Charlotte to get them to weaken the protections on their 2023 first that the Spurs now have. If the Spurs make the Hornets better, the protections are less likely to matter because their pick would be lower. I guess the best-case scenario would be that the Hornets think they improve enough to remove the protections, then miss the playoffs anyway. But is that worth burning assets (Poeltl, maybe Keldon?) that could return actual picks of their own elsewhere? Unless the Hornets get decimated by injuries, even if they fall into the lottery they will probably be at the bottom (pick 13/14) anyway.

There's a point where even a pick in the 20s from a good team is worth more than a chance at a small handful of ping pong balls, even for a true game changer like Wembanyama.

Next year a top 10 lottery pick will be a great player to add to the Spurs.

Charlotte isn't that good and even with Poeltl or Keldon might not be a playoff team(lost Bridges) and they are a Melo injury away from having a top 5 pick next year.

rascal
07-05-2022, 01:34 PM

I don't see any team trading unprotected picks for either Keldon or Poeltl, the best option if the Spurs want another lottey pick next year is that Charlotte lifts the protections on their pick hoping they make the playoffs and that pick doesn't land in the lottery.

exstatic
07-05-2022, 01:41 PM

Charlotte isn't that good and even with Poeltl or Keldon might not be a playoff team(lost Bridges) and they are a Melo injury away from having a top 5 pick next year.

Josh Richardson would be a great fill in for Bridges.

exstatic
07-05-2022, 01:43 PM

Judging by our transactions so far, we'll earn one.

rascal
07-05-2022, 01:46 PM
Judging by our transactions so far, we'll earn one.

The goal is to get two top ten picks, the one from Charlotte and the Spurs.

Seventyniner
07-05-2022, 01:59 PM
I don't see any team trading unprotected picks for either Keldon or Poeltl, the best option if the Spurs want another lottey pick next year is that Charlotte lifts the protections on their pick hoping they make the playoffs and that pick doesn't land in the lottery.

The point of my post was to compare Charlotte weakening the protections on their 2023 pick (maybe to #1-4?) to getting a guaranteed first from another team, presumably in the #20-25 range. I also don't think the Spurs are getting any unprotected picks for Poeltl or Keldon. But I don't see Charlotte lifting the protections entirely.

exstatic
07-05-2022, 02:07 PM

Yeah, except we’re not going to. If they’re blowing it up, there’s no way they unprotect the pick. If they’re not, they’ll be looking to improve to keep Melo, so, no chance it’s top 10.

spurraider21
07-05-2022, 02:58 PM
cant get a top 10 pick from charlotte

exstatic
07-05-2022, 05:22 PM
cant get a top 10 pick from charlotte

I think his plan was to trade something to them to remove the protection. Fool’s errand.

spurraider21
07-05-2022, 05:24 PM
I think his plan was to trade something to them to remove the protection. Fool’s errand.
doenst make sense at any level. if we send them a positive asset like jak, that makes it more likely that they just end up picking past 16 and we'd have gotten the pick anyway

rascal
07-05-2022, 05:54 PM
doenst make sense at any level. if we send them a positive asset like jak, that makes it more likely that they just end up picking past 16 and we'd have gotten the pick anyway

You think Charlotte is better than Miami, Atlanta, Boston, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Toronto, Chicago or Cleveland with Poeltl and losing Miles Bridges?

lmbebo
07-05-2022, 05:57 PM
think best used of the CHA pick is to use it in another deal which may return other picks later on (no 2023).

I think any deal with CHA may lift future protections. I don't see them having any incentive to drop protections on 23 now.

Seventyniner
07-05-2022, 06:24 PM
think best used of the CHA pick is to use it in another deal which may return other picks later on (no 2023).

I think any deal with CHA may lift future protections. I don't see them having any incentive to drop protections on 23 now.

I like the idea of potentially rolling that Charlotte 2023 pick into a (hopefully more lightly protected) 2024 (or later) pick. And yes, getting them to lift protections in the future is another way to upgrade the pick rather than only focusing on the 2023 protections. :bobo

rascal
07-05-2022, 07:56 PM
I like the idea of potentially rolling that Charlotte 2023 pick into a (hopefully more lightly protected) 2024 (or later) pick. And yes, getting them to lift protections in the future is another way to upgrade the pick rather than only focusing on the 2023 protections. :bobo

Spurs already have future picks, would rather get that 2023 extra pick's protections lifted.

lmbebo
07-05-2022, 08:59 PM
Spurs already have future picks, would rather get that 2023 extra pick's protections lifted.

I just don't see that happening unless we trade them Keldon or Devin

venitian navigator
07-06-2022, 01:27 AM

In all seriousness, KJ could be the perfect player for them to give them back what they just lost with the Bridges drama. And Imho we could maximize his trading value trading him to Charlotte for draft picks (the next year's one eliminating the top 16 protection plus the 2035 one)...

Atl Spur
07-06-2022, 07:12 AM
First of all history proves you don’t win with a bunch of rookies! So, unless we are drafting a can’t miss prospect, we will probably punt on the pick anyway. People obviously are forgetting Ayton was the #1 pick and now he has the possibility of being moved! In this game there are no guarantees but one thing is for sure, ROOKIES don’t win championships!

rascal
07-06-2022, 10:40 AM

I would trade them keldon for them to lift protections on that 23 pick. I don't think they'll make the playoffs in the east.

rascal
07-06-2022, 10:44 AM
First of all history proves you don’t win with a bunch of rookies! So, unless we are drafting a can’t miss prospect, we will probably punt on the pick anyway. People obviously are forgetting Ayton was the #1 pick and now he has the possibility of being moved! In this game there are no guarantees but one thing is for sure, ROOKIES don’t win championships!

The top of the 23 draft class has players better than Keldon.

If the spurs can get two top ten players who could both be franchise changing players (which Keldon is not) to go along with the rookies they got this year and other young players then they have the foundation for future success.

rascal
07-06-2022, 10:49 AM

The Spurs aren't winning any time soon anyways. Those rookies will not be rookies in a couple of years and near age of one another they can peak around the same time.

Vince Carter's ankle
07-06-2022, 11:34 AM
The Spurs aren't winning any time soon anyways. Those rookies will not be rookies in a couple of years and near age of one another they can peak around the same time.
You haven't seen a single game of these guys yet, but you already call them "franchise changing players".

rascal
07-06-2022, 12:44 PM
You haven't seen a single game of these guys yet, but you already call them "franchise changing players".

They have a chance to be. I've seen Keldon and he never will be.

dbestpro
07-07-2022, 07:06 AM
Scoot> Wemby.
Wemby = Ralph Sampson.

exstatic
07-07-2022, 07:33 AM
Scoot> Wemby.
Wemby = Ralph Sampson.

God, you’re dumb.

RC_Drunkford
07-07-2022, 08:56 AM
Scoot> Wemby.
Wemby = Ralph Sampson.

definitely not. Besides that Scoot is absolutely not Spurs material when it comes to character. That guy will leave as soon as possible

rascal
07-07-2022, 09:54 AM

I said Could be franchise changing players.

Keldon I know is not a franchise player.

rascal
07-07-2022, 09:57 AM
God, you’re dumb.

No need for that just because you disagree.

Your opinions aren't any better than anyone elses.

rascal
07-07-2022, 09:59 AM
definitely not. Besides that Scoot is absolutely not Spurs material when it comes to character. That guy will leave as soon as possible

I'm tired of people always wanting to pass on top potential players because they don't supposedly have character.

Spurs need to add the top talent when they can.

dbestpro
07-07-2022, 10:20 AM
God, you’re dumb.

God your naive. They said the same thing about Sampson and Bradley for that matter. It's even worse for Wemby now. The NBA is all about the three. Very little else matters.

BackHome
07-16-2022, 06:40 PM
I'm tired of people always wanting to pass on top potential players because they don't supposedly have character.

Spurs need to add the top talent when they can.

Totally agree - I think right now you got 3 legit NBA Franchise players in this draft.

1. Wem - Center
2. Henderson - PG
3.G.G. Jackson - "He would be crazy not to come out early" PF - Plus watched his interviews he screams Spurs player

As long as we get one of these 3 players I am confident we "Could" have one of our Franchise players..

ace3g
07-16-2022, 07:29 PM
https://twitter.com/ChrisVernonShow/status/1548462215686066176

ace3g
07-16-2022, 07:43 PM
https://twitter.com/ChrisVernonShow/status/1548462215686066176

Doug McDermott is coaching the Omaha Blue Crew.

BackHome
07-16-2022, 07:50 PM
If the Thompson twins can work on there 3 point percentage that is going to put them in top 5 or top 10 range, depending how they do.

mystargtr34
07-16-2022, 08:17 PM
Totally agree - I think right now you got 3 legit NBA Franchise players in this draft.

1. Wem - Center
2. Henderson - PG
3.G.C. Jackson - "He would be crazy not to come out early" PF - Plus watched his interviews he screams Spurs player

As long as we get one of these 3 players I am confident we "Could" have one of our Franchise players..

Agree. I'd be ok with anywhere in the Top 3. Its not like its VW or bust.

exstatic
07-16-2022, 08:44 PM
Overtime elite plays against trash competition most games. If they weren’t afraid to show out, they’d play with the ignite, against 2 ways and draft picks on assignment.

Thomas82
07-16-2022, 09:03 PM

1. Wem - Center
2. Henderson - PG
3.G.C. Jackson - "He would be crazy not to come out early" PF - Plus watched his interviews he screams Spurs player

I wonder what made Jackson de-commit from UNC.

BackHome
07-16-2022, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I was suprised as in a interview he was very excited to be going to UNC - the kid is very smart but in the end it probably comes down to $ and being put in a position where he can go into the draft in 2023.

DAF86
07-17-2022, 02:13 PM
If we finish bottom 3, we get 14% of getting number one. But what are the chances of staying in the top 3?

stnick2261
07-17-2022, 02:26 PM
If we finish bottom 3, we get 14% of getting number one. But what are the chances of staying in the top 3?

1) 14% top pick | 40.1% top 3 | 100% top 5
2) 14% top pick | 40.1% top 3 | 80% top 5
3) 14% top pick | 40.1% top 3 | 66.9% top 5
4) 12.5% top pick | 36.6% top 3 | 55.3% top 5
5) 10.5% top pick | 31.6% top 3 | 44.3% top 5 (possible to drop all the way to #9)

Most people I read who are talking about going for absolute worst record... it's not about getting the best odds for #1 overall pick. It's getting 100% chance for top 5.

DAF86
07-17-2022, 02:41 PM
1JOhGlSJH4Y

scott
07-17-2022, 05:06 PM
1JOhGlSJH4Y

Thanks for this, lots of exciting talent. Nothing on Jackson here, who I’ve seen some folks mention. Bailey looked least impressive of those prospects though - his clips just looked like a good player in a red game where he is way better than everyone else but not that impressive

ace3g
11-06-2022, 09:45 PM
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1589448185201786881

ace3g
11-13-2022, 02:13 PM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1591861430550233090

RC_Drunkford
11-13-2022, 02:40 PM

Ariel
11-13-2022, 03:25 PM
5) 10.5% top pick | 31.6% top 3 | 44.3% top 5 (possible to drop all the way to #9)

Most people I read who are talking about going for absolute worst record... it's not about getting the best odds for #1 overall pick. It's getting 100% chance for top 5.
I mostly agree, but I'd say it's both. If the FO is 100% committed to developing youngsters under a "winning culture", then the level of "sucktitude" required is probably more than they can handle, as bottom teams are usually poorly constructed, coached, and dysfunctional all around, and that is not going to happen with Pop at the helm.
Bottom 3 is also likely out of reach, considering what teams like Houston, Charlotte and the Lakers are showing. I think Detroit and Orlando will improve their record as the season progresses but we should still be better than them, and then there's a bunch of teams like Indiana, OKC, Washington, Brooklyn, Sacramento that could round up the bottom 10.
So given where we stand, best case scenario at this point would be continue to push for a couple of months, and pump up our vets trade value and capitalize on it before the trade deadline. And from then on, soft tank our way into a bottom 4-6 position that, while suboptimal, still gives us decent chances at a top talent. That's why I'm hoping for.
If we end up with a top talent and we add a few good vets in free agency, that should be the beginning our rise towards contention.

exstatic
11-13-2022, 05:57 PM

What you’re not showing is as the worst team that your HIGHEST ODDS are for #5, 48%. Top 5 doesn’t mean shit in a 2 franchise player draft.

playbonner15
11-13-2022, 07:41 PM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1591861430550233090

I'm leaning towards FO taking Scoot over Wemby... with Spurs' history with injuries, Wemby's gonna be a bust in SA :lol

stnick2261
11-14-2022, 09:08 AM
I mostly agree, but I'd say it's both. If the FO is 100% committed to developing youngsters under a "winning culture", then the level of "sucktitude" required is probably more than they can handle, as bottom teams are usually poorly constructed, coached, and dysfunctional all around, and that is not going to happen with Pop at the helm.
Bottom 3 is also likely out of reach, considering what teams like Houston, Charlotte and the Lakers are showing. I think Detroit and Orlando will improve their record as the season progresses but we should still be better than them, and then there's a bunch of teams like Indiana, OKC, Washington, Brooklyn, Sacramento that could round up the bottom 10.
So given where we stand, best case scenario at this point would be continue to push for a couple of months, and pump up our vets trade value and capitalize on it before the trade deadline. And from then on, soft tank our way into a bottom 4-6 position that, while suboptimal, still gives us decent chances at a top talent. That's why I'm hoping for.
If we end up with a top talent and we add a few good vets in free agency, that should be the beginning our rise towards contention.

Obviously things have changed since I posted that. But it IS doable to get as close to the top pick as possible while still developing youngsters. You go full strength against the best teams (if they are at full strength)... and you sit 1-2 starters against the worst teams (they are the ones that you need to force a win onto them).

And I agree, you should never have them (each individual player) play at less than 100% when they are suited up.

stnick2261
11-14-2022, 09:15 AM
What you’re not showing is as the worst team that your HIGHEST ODDS are for #5, 48%. Top 5 doesn’t mean shit in a 2 franchise player draft.

And the highest odds for the second best team is for #5, 28%... and their second highest odds are for #6, 20%.
The third and fourth worst teams' highest odds are for pick #6.

It's not like I was hiding that stat. The "highest odds" stat still shows the need for going for worst record.

2007 was a "2 franchise player" draft that included Al Horford, Mike Conley and Jeff Green in the top 5. I'd rather have any of them than Yi Jianlian who went 6th.

I will take ANY increase to the lottery odds that doesn't hurt the current team.

exstatic
11-14-2022, 01:40 PM
And the highest odds for the second best team is for #5, 28%... and their second highest odds are for #6, 20%.

It's not like I was hiding that stat. The "highest odds" stat still shows the need for going for worst record.

2007 was a "2 franchise player" draft that included Al Horford, Mike Conley and Jeff Green in the top 5. I'd rather have any of them than Yi Jianlian who went 6th.

I will take ANY increase to the lottery odds that doesn't hurt the current team.

If we pull a player who has Jeff Greens career path in the top 5, it’s a fail. ProbablyHorford, too.

heyheymymy
11-14-2022, 02:57 PM
damn I remember Yi Jianlian haha

duncan2150
11-14-2022, 06:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxlPa13OTnA

Don't sleep on George.

BackHome
11-15-2022, 06:01 PM
If he keeps playing like this he will go in top 5

ace3g
01-03-2023, 08:27 PM
https://twitter.com/PubSportsRadio/status/1610447231051522050

rascal
01-03-2023, 09:16 PM

It's logical you want the highest odds/chance to get a top two pick in this draft.

rascal
01-03-2023, 09:17 PM
I'm leaning towards FO taking Scoot over Wemby... with Spurs' history with injuries, Wemby's gonna be a bust in SA :lol

Better to draft Wemby trade him for Scoot + another draft pick or player than to draft Scoot number one.

Ice009
01-04-2023, 07:17 AM
Yeah, I'd be very happy with either Victor or Scoot. I am not greedy, would be extremely happy with a top 2 pick in this draft. Definitely doesn't have to be number one pick only.

exstatic
01-04-2023, 07:29 AM

What Spurs history of injuries?

Scared money don’t make money.

The Truth #6
01-04-2023, 09:16 AM
Yeah, the Clippers are the ones with the injury curse. It’s fitting they end up with Kawhi.

Rocalcio
01-04-2023, 12:35 PM
I don’t really like Henderson attitude on the court. I already noticed during the games versus Wembanyama that he seems to provoke and moke a lot, and you can see that on the dunk he had last night. I’m not sure that would please Pop. On the contrary you will never see Wembanyama trashtalking, even after a never seen before action. He fits the Spurs’ mentality more.

LeBowen
01-04-2023, 01:40 PM
Victor is our guy.

Tall like Timmy, French like Tony, skilled like Manu. :king

Hopefully he's not injury prone like nephw. :lmao

lmbebo
01-04-2023, 04:29 PM
Scoot and Victor would be great outcomes for this draft. No issue if we get either.

spurraider21
01-04-2023, 04:50 PM
Scoot and Victor would be great outcomes for this draft. No issue if we get either.
don't get greedy

lmbebo
01-04-2023, 06:03 PM
not saying both, but either one would be great.

exstatic
01-04-2023, 06:35 PM

And implies both. If you say Wemby OR scoot, that means you’d be happy with either.

slick'81
01-04-2023, 07:57 PM

just pray brother

rascal
01-06-2023, 09:56 AM
And implies both. If you say Wemby OR scoot, that means you’d be happy with either.

He did say either in the next sentance, not both.

james evans
01-06-2023, 10:59 AM
Agree. I'd be ok with anywhere in the Top 3. Its not like its VW or bust.
At this point, i do not trust popovich or the front office. I wouldn't be shocked if they picked a 2nd rounder with the 3rd pick and sent him to the G league for the season.

james evans
01-06-2023, 11:01 AM
Tell Magic and Rusell that lol. plus Bird, Duncan, and Kareem all won in their 2nd year.

Mr. Body
01-06-2023, 12:00 PM
Tell Magic and Rusell that lol. plus Bird, Duncan, and Kareem all won in their 2nd year.

I don't think you'll see rookies having much of a first-year impact anymore. They come into the league after a year of college with a lot of basketball to learn. Back in the day, a Duncan or Bird or Kareem was very ready to transform a team right away. They actually knew how to play.

LeBowen
01-06-2023, 12:06 PM
At this point, i do not trust popovich or the front office. I wouldn't be shocked if they picked a 2nd rounder with the 3rd pick and sent him to the G league for the season.

I would've said the same before this season, but we've got a 9th pick with obvious flaws and he's been playing point a lot.
They finally realized we're not getting anywhere without talent and you can't develop talent without playing them.

Magic had Kareem, Duncan had Robinson, Bird had former MVP Cowens and a few more great players, Kareem had the greatest point guard in history at the time, Oscar.
Russell was drafted in '57, with Celtics buying a pick in excange for a circus show or whatever. Different times.

Point being that all of them got drafted into very good teams.
If we for example get Victor and he actually turns out to be KD+Gobert in one, we could trade for another star and contend right away. Same goes for other tanking teams.
Dallas had the misfortune of Luka being too good on a subpar roster, so now they can't get enough help for him to contend.

Atl Spur
01-06-2023, 01:16 PM

Read it a little closer big dog; I said a bunch of rookies���� Adding a rookie to an established core is different.

exstatic
01-06-2023, 02:21 PM
I would've said the same before this season, but we've got a 9th pick with obvious flaws and he's been playing point a lot.
They finally realized we're not getting anywhere without talent and you can't develop talent without playing them.

Magic had Kareem, Duncan had Robinson, Bird had former MVP Cowens and a few more great players, Kareem had the greatest point guard in history at the time, Oscar.
Russell was drafted in '57, with Celtics buying a pick in excange for a circus show or whatever. Different times.

Point being that all of them got drafted into very good teams.
If we for example get Victor and he actually turns out to be KD+Gobert in one, we could trade for another star and contend right away. Same goes for other tanking teams.
Dallas had the misfortune of Luka being too good on a subpar roster, so now they can't get enough help for him to contend.

Worrying about his supporting cast in year one isn’t the most important thing. He’s a slightly built kid with injury concerns who’s playing like 5 games a month. Let’s just get him through 82 games. We’re not contending in year one.

ace3g
05-21-2023, 01:21 PM
https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/1659620984591138816

heyheymymy
05-21-2023, 01:43 PM

paging offset

JPB
05-21-2023, 01:55 PM
I secretly hope spurs trade up for my man Bilal, but still not sure how high he can go. depending on "respected" mock drafts you check, he's projected from 18 to 30... No way spurs get him for their second, so do it Brian.

I pretty sure they won't work him out or ITV him if they're interested, not to drag attention. And they know who he is.

rascal
05-21-2023, 02:30 PM
I secretly hope spurs trade up for my man Bilal, but still not sure how high he can go. depending on "respected" mock drafts you check, he's projected from 18 to 30... No way spurs get him for their second, so do it Brian.

I pretty sure they won't work him out or ITV him if they're interested, not to drag attention. And they know who he is.

Do you like him more than Keldon?

The Truth #6
05-21-2023, 02:35 PM
If VW likes him I’d say trade up for him, ideally using the SRPs. I’m intrigued by him. I’m on board.

JPB
05-21-2023, 02:42 PM
Do you like him more than Keldon?

Right now, ofc not. Keldon is a more valuable, proven player, but Bilal has intriguing potential and now that we got Wemby maybe we can take a flyer on him with the familiarity he has with Vic as a bonus. He could be interesting as a bench guy behind Keldon and eventually as a cheap replacement if Keldon is traded...

It's true that coaches and teammates comments should always be taken with a grain of salt, but what Wemby is saying is pretty detailed and accurate. Bilal is all around and two way. Still raw and to be polished but great defensive instincts and a guy that could actually thrive more in the NBA than euro ball thanks to his speed and athleticism... Now, there's always risks and nothing is guarantee d but that's the young guys with potential spurs could transform into a very valuable player in the right environment and with Wemby besides him.

CGD
05-21-2023, 03:04 PM

Dude is going to get levered all the way to the lottery lol. Amazing how there is ALWAYS a guy this time of year

Mr. Body
05-21-2023, 04:07 PM
I can see Coulibaly getting into the late lottery, but feel he's going to remain overlooked. OKC could bite, but there will be a guy like Leonard Miller there. Feels like the top 10 has been pretty much booked for a while, even with Nick Smith and Keyonte George moving out a few months ago.

Mr. Body
05-21-2023, 04:08 PM
Bufkin was fouled at the 9:19 mark and went to the bench to get medical attention. His finger appeared to be dislocated. He proceeded to knock down both free throws, then hit 2 straight three-pointers. That was part of a 10-0 Michigan run to take a 57-56 lead and a personal 8-0 surge.

I posted that in another thread, from an Illinois-Michigan game that went to overtime. Not sure what will become the 'official' thread of draft picks.

BackHome
05-21-2023, 04:38 PM
There a couple of players who measurements and play in the combine have pushed them from high second to now possible mid to late first rounds.

PhantomDashCam
05-21-2023, 06:04 PM
Let's not forget the Spurs fascination with combine darlings...

JPB
05-21-2023, 06:10 PM
Those vids have honestly little to no interest if you don't see the full session. They obviously won't show you all the misses and there's no one to defend for zero pressure shoots... Lots of guys who can knock 10 3s in a row alone in the gym.
Still somehow intersting to see the shooting mechanics.

PhantomDashCam
05-21-2023, 06:17 PM
Those vids have honestly little to no interest if you don't see the full session. They obviously won't show you all the misses and there's no one to defend for zero pressure shoots... Lots of guys who can knock 10 3s in a row alone in the gym.
Still somehow intersting to see the shooting mechanics.

I agree. Just posting information RE: Spurstalk player interest and prior drafting trends. Sheppard looked a lot better in the scrimmage for example than Adam Flager who the Spurs had previously reported to have worked out.

Biggems
05-21-2023, 07:42 PM
Bilal Coulibaly is unknown to me. However, I just went and started watching a draft video of him on you tube. He is built like Michael Cooper or Orlando Woolridge but seems smooth like Adrian Dantley. I am going to look into more videos of him. So far, I like what I see, especially since Cooper was one of the best on ball defenders in NBA history and Adrian Dantley was one of my favorite players of the 80s.

talkspurs
05-21-2023, 07:52 PM
Does anyone else see the Hornets trading Ball and drafting scoot? Ball has had injury problems and so has his brother. Could it be something where it would be better for them to trade him now and get assets for him rather then him getting hurt again and the assets being less? Would they get more in a trade by trading away a proven player then by trading back or not picking the best player available? I am not saying scoot should or should not be the 2nd pick but I could see where if a team would offer a good package for Ball the hornets would take it and move on.

JPB
05-21-2023, 07:56 PM
I agree. Just posting information RE: Spurstalk player interest and prior drafting trends. Sheppard looked a lot better in the scrimmage for example than Adam Flager who the Spurs had previously reported to have worked out.

Wasn't a shot at you, that's still interesting to put players on ST's map and talk them.

mo7888
05-21-2023, 08:27 PM
Does anyone else see the Hornets trading Ball and drafting scoot? Ball has had injury problems and so has his brother. Could it be something where it would be better for them to trade him now and get assets for him rather then him getting hurt again and the assets being less? Would they get more in a trade by trading away a proven player then by trading back or not picking the best player available? I am not saying scoot should or should not be the 2nd pick but I could see where if a team would offer a good package for Ball the hornets would take it and move on.

I do think trading Ball is something they should vett out, but with the team being up for sale I don't think they make that move.

exstatic
05-21-2023, 08:43 PM
I do think trading Ball is something they should vett out, but with the team being up for sale I don't think they make that move.

Team isn’t actually for sale. MJ is selling enough of his shares so he will no longer be the majority owner. That’s all that’s for sale.

Mr. Body
05-21-2023, 08:48 PM

I don't. Lamello is really good and they haven't really seen how good he can be yet. Trading him for Scoot is wildly overrating Scoot, too.

mo7888
05-21-2023, 08:54 PM
Team isn’t actually for sale. MJ is selling enough of his shares so he will no longer be the majority owner. That’s all that’s for sale.

But there would be a new majority owner correct? Kinda like when Kohl sold his interest in the Bucks?

talkspurs
05-21-2023, 09:18 PM
I don't. Lamello is really good and they haven't really seen how good he can be yet. Trading him for Scoot is wildly overrating Scoot, too.

Is he though? Good i will give you but really good I think is a stretch. He does not shoot much over 42%. good but not great 3% on high shooting avg scoring better then avg ast for a guard. He also will be coming up on an extension shortly. What does he give that scoot wouldnt. If Portland would give up pick 3 and 1 future 1st unprotected I think you jump on it. Washington if they do 8+ 2 1st once again jump on it. I am not saying you give him away for nothing but both those teams want established players and depending on the return I would not consider him a cornerstone of the team.
If you take his record this year 13-23 and put it in a regular season it would be 29-30 games. They won 27 with him playing about half the season. the team is not much better with him.

PhantomDashCam
05-21-2023, 10:14 PM
Wasn't a shot at you, that's still interesting to put players on ST's map and talk them.

Never thought it was JPB. Just agreed with the take and wanted to further explain why I’d post it.

rascal
05-22-2023, 05:45 AM

That would be the smart thing to do but the Hornets are not smart so I expect them to draft Miller.

ace3g
05-22-2023, 05:30 PM
Draft is one month away.

BackHome
05-22-2023, 06:05 PM
​​​​
Let's not forget the Spurs fascination with combine darlings...

I am also liking me some Ben Sheppard kind of reminds me a little of Branham but a much better defender -
2022-23 - 32G - 18pts - TRB 5.2 - FG% 47.5 FG3% 41.5 - FT% 68.4 - eFG 56.3

Also, like Jalen Slawson - HT: 6'6.50 - Wing: 6'11.75 - Another guy who is a really good one on one and team defender
2022-23 36G - 15.6pts - TRB 7.1 - FG% 55.6 - FG3% 39.4 - FT% 77.5 - efg 61.5

ace3g
05-27-2023, 12:49 PM
https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1662473746060546049

scott
05-27-2023, 02:28 PM

ST likes to think about the dream scenario of the Spurs landing Scoot in addition to Wemby... but how about:

Hornets take Scoot #2
Hornets trade Lamelo Ball to POR for #3 and Anfernee Simons and take Brandon Miller

talkspurs
05-27-2023, 05:04 PM
ST likes to think about the dream scenario of the Spurs landing Scoot in addition to Wemby... but how about:

Hornets take Scoot #2
Hornets trade Lamelo Ball to POR for #3 and Anfernee Simons and take Brandon Miller

I could see something along these lines. I just see a good chance for Char to reset their team and have 3 young players to grow together. They also would have a PG and a C with some win players. It is a good start to a team. all of them may not make it but if they do it would be on the same timeline.

mo7888
05-27-2023, 05:29 PM

Hornets take Scoot #2

I'd do that if I were Charlotte, but if I'm Portland I don't think I do that. I don't think Melo is enough to get them there... they need more players than that. I'd be more inclined to do the trade someone suggested earlier and trade back with Orlando and then repackage 6 and 11 in separate deals to add two or more players that might be more complimentary to Lillard.

tonight...you
05-28-2023, 01:14 AM
26 years ago?
I was damn good looking, on top of the of the world with a new job I had no business deserving in L.A. and punching above my weight before 9/11 crushed everything around me.

Now? I'm still pretty good looking. Dad bod...
Still punching above my weight, but marriage helps keep the flame alive.

Happy to be happy is all I ask and happy for our Spurs to get this chance again.

I will always remember '99.

Every one of them and will enjoy all of this till I can't any longer.

KingKev

I'm not old! lol

Middle aged... yeah.

Thomas82
05-29-2023, 11:43 PM

I was 17 years old and finishing up my junior year of high school.

barakz21
05-30-2023, 12:35 AM

I was 11, a 5th grader, and 2 years away from becoming a Spurs (and actual basketball) fan. Crazy how time flies, Timmy was just in his 2nd season then and as of right now has been retired for 7 years already.

Obstructed_View
05-30-2023, 04:50 AM
I was 26, working in Waco as a computer programmer. Travelled to San Antonio or Dallas a dozen times a year to see the Spurs play.

I remember researching Chauncey Billups, Tim Thomas and Adonal Foyle, wondering if maybe Keith Van Horn might be a good addition. Like this year with Victor, I didn't even watch Tim Duncan highlights. Like this year, I didn't even have any NBA fan friends to call when the Spurs won the lottery. Unlike 1997, I watched the lottery with my three kids and had people to yell and high five with when we won it.

Gonna be a fun time to be a fan coming up.

scott
05-30-2023, 04:18 PM
I was 17 years old and finishing up my junior year of high school.

Same here. I remember the start of that season, joking "the Spurs should try to get this Duncan" guy thinking there was no way it would happen.

Thomas82
05-30-2023, 11:32 PM
Same here. I remember the start of that season, joking "the Spurs should try to get this Duncan" guy thinking there was no way it would happen.

Man, after we won that lottery I didn't sleep for the next 2 nights.

CorrectCrusader
05-31-2023, 08:07 AM

lol if only they did this

BatManu20
05-31-2023, 10:17 AM
Tank for Matas tbh.

B1KPlQGMH9I

Mr. Body
05-31-2023, 10:20 AM
Tank for Matas tbh.

Still maintain going Ignite is a bad decision for these guys. They're not coming in ready. We'll see about Scoot. I predict stats and flash but it'll become clear he needs work with the game part of basketball. What Wemby is getting is infinitely better.

rascal
05-31-2023, 10:28 AM
Yeah, except we’re not going to. If they’re blowing it up, there’s no way they unprotect the pick. If they’re not, they’ll be looking to improve to keep Melo, so, no chance it’s top 10.

Wrong

Charlotte is 2.

exstatic
05-31-2023, 11:17 AM
Wrong

Charlotte is 2.

Way to cherry pick one post from a conversation about you wet dreaming about getting a top 10 pick from Charlotte. The context was that there was no chance the protections would be removed and then convey to us as a top 10 pick.

NickiRasgo
05-31-2023, 11:54 AM
Still maintain going Ignite is a bad decision for these guys. They're not coming in ready. We'll see about Scoot. I predict stats and flash but it'll become clear he needs work with the game part of basketball. What Wemby is getting is infinitely better.

Agreed. That's why I preferred Brandon over Scoot tho I don't mind Scott but quite worried because he's coming from G-League. Playing for NBA G-League doesn't really help them to be tested compared to NCAA when it's more competitive and when the game is on the line since they're playing there only for stats and highlights. Players drafted from Ignites within the lottery are so far underwhelming:

Jalen Green
Jonathan Kuminga
Dyson Daniels

That's why it's hard to trust Scoot's integrity in terms of being competitive once he's in the NBA. Sure he's still young and can still improve but them playing in NCAA or something similar to Euroleague is still better for their early development when it comes to playing in a much competitive league. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe he's another Jalen Green.

Also, just to add I kinda off with Scoot's recent statement that Spurs should consider drafting him #1 instead and it's a bit of red flag since it's a little bit of campaigning just like with Embiid (MVP) recently. I don't think that he's really genuinely happy to play with the Spurs (maybe at the start of his career) and it just happen that the Spurs are picking #1 - he'll probably say the same thing if Hornets, Blazers, Rockets or Pistons are picking #1.

spurraider21
05-31-2023, 12:55 PM
jalen green has been pretty good. his efficiency has been poor but thats also not unexpected when playing on a shit team and being asked to be the primary option. he's been a 3 level scorer with playmaking ability.

Mr. Body
05-31-2023, 01:01 PM
jalen green has been pretty. his efficiency has been poor but thats also not unexpected when playing on a shit team and being asked to be the primary option. he's been a 3 level scorer with playmaking ability.

The reason the team is so shit is in large part because Jalen Green is so shit. He's absolutely awful unless he gets his shot going, and even then his shot selection is terrible. Don't give a shit if he's a 3 level scorer if his efficiency is really bad and he hasnt shown any playmaking ability at all. He has a long way to go if the team wants to win.

Mr. Body
05-31-2023, 02:29 PM
Jonathan Givony's Mock Draft Today (ESPN) and rumors.

SAS - Victor Wembanyama

CHA - Brandon Miller

POR - Scoot Henderson

HOU - Amen Thompson

DET - Cam Whitmore

ORL - Ausar Thompson

IND - Jarace Walker

WAS - Anthony Black

UTA - Jalen Hood-Schifino

DAL - Taylor Hendricks

ORL - Gradey Dick

OKC - Nick Smith Jr.

TOR - Jordan Hawkins

NOP - Dereck Lively II

ATL - Keyonte George

UTA - Kobe Bufkin

LAL - Cason Wallace

MIA - Jett Howard

GSW - Rayan Rupert

HOU - Noah Clowney

BKN - Bilal Coulibaly

BKN - Leonard Miller

POR - James Nnaji

SAC - Kris Murray

MEM - Brice Sensabaugh

IND - Dariq Whitehead

CHA - Brandin Podziemski

UTA - Olivier-Maxence Prosper

IND - Colby Jones

LAC - Maxwell Lewis

DET - Jaime Jaquez Jr.

IND - Andre Jackson Jr.

SAS - Gregory Jackson II

CHA - Julian Phillips

BOS - Tristan Vukcevic

ORL - Ben Sheppard

OKC - Marcus Sasser

SAC - Trayce Jackson-Davis

CHA - Jordan Walsh

DEN - Sidy Cissoko

CHA - Dillon Mitchell

WAS - Terquavion Smith

POR - Reece Beekman

SAS - Jalen Wilson

MEM - Amari Bailey

ATL - Kobe Brown

LAL - Zach Edey

LAC - Adem Bona

CLE - Keyontae Johnson

OKC - Mouhamed Gueye

BKN - DaRon Holmes II

PHX - Seth Lundy

MIN - Bobi Klintman

SAC - Coleman Hawkins

IND - Terrence Shannon Jr.

MEM - Julian Strawther

WAS - Hunter Tyson

MIL - Emoni Bates

Draft Intel - Prospects:

"Brandon Miller's camp says it is hoping he can do enough on his June 10 visit in Charlotte to convince the Hornets to give him assurances they'll pick him at this spot, something that might hinge more on how he performs in his interview arrived holding a legal brief written by his attorneys informing teams that he would not be able to comment on specific details regarding his involvement in the lead-up to the fatal shooting of Jamea Jonae Harris. It's the biggest factor holding him back from being the easy choice at No. 2"

"Sources say Scoot Henderson is also very interested in Charlotte's situation and would welcome hearing his name called second, as much due to geographic proximity to his hometown of Marietta, Georgia, as the excitement over new ownership that is potentially taking over the Hornets org"

"Cam Whitmore helped his cause by putting his tremendous physical tools and overall talent on display at the WME pro day in Santa Barbara, California. Pretty much every NBA representative in attendance walked away highly impressed by the considerable long-term upside he possesses"

"Many NBA eyebrows were raised last week when Jarace Walker called off his pro day appearance in Santa Barbara at the last minute, despite looking completely healthy. The immediate suspicion among teams was that a team has elected to "shut him down""

"Although Jordan Hawkins is widely viewed as the top shooter in the draft, there's a bit of disagreement among executives as to where exactly he becomes worth the bet, whether that's late lottery range or further down"

"Dereck Lively II is another player who generated significant buzz at the Klutch pro day, appearing to be in outstanding shape physically, shooting the ball exceptionally well from the perimeter and bringing a degree of intensity and aggressiveness we didn't always see in his lone season at Duke. He'll have to validate that in private workouts, but the dearth of big men in this class gives him the ability to be a riser on draft night"

"Jett Howard is a bit of a polarizing prospect in this class, as he seems to have some real fans in NBA front offices, but also some teams weren't impressed at all with what they saw from him in Big Ten play as he was playing hurt"

"Rayan Rupert is being selective with the teams he visits, prioritizing roster fit and strong development situations on playoff-caliber teams rather than trying to be selected as high as possible"

"Brice Sensabaugh has been hobbled by a knee issue he suffered late in Ohio State's season, which required surgery and has thus far prevented him from conducting competitive team workouts, a source told ESPN"

Draft Intel - Teams:

"There's been some chatter that the Orlando Magic might not keep both of their lottery picks -- they should certainly have options if they choose to try to move around"

"Most NBA executives expect the OKC Thunder to be active in trade discussions looking to potentially package the 12th pick and future first-rounders in an attempt to move up on draft night, which makes sense considering the shortage of roster spots the Thunder could be working with moving forward with all the talent they've accumulated"

mo7888
05-31-2023, 02:51 PM
Jonathan Givony's Mock Draft Today (ESPN) and rumors.

SAS - Victor Wembanyama

CHA - Brandon Miller

POR - Scoot Henderson

HOU - Amen Thompson

DET - Cam Whitmore

ORL - Ausar Thompson

IND - Jarace Walker

WAS - Anthony Black

UTA - Jalen Hood-Schifino

DAL - Taylor Hendricks

ORL - Gradey Dick

OKC - Nick Smith Jr.

TOR - Jordan Hawkins

NOP - Dereck Lively II

ATL - Keyonte George

UTA - Kobe Bufkin

LAL - Cason Wallace

MIA - Jett Howard

GSW - Rayan Rupert

HOU - Noah Clowney

BKN - Bilal Coulibaly

BKN - Leonard Miller

POR - James Nnaji

SAC - Kris Murray

MEM - Brice Sensabaugh

IND - Dariq Whitehead

CHA - Brandin Podziemski

UTA - Olivier-Maxence Prosper

IND - Colby Jones

LAC - Maxwell Lewis

DET - Jaime Jaquez Jr.

IND - Andre Jackson Jr.

SAS - Gregory Jackson II

CHA - Julian Phillips

BOS - Tristan Vukcevic

ORL - Ben Sheppard

OKC - Marcus Sasser

SAC - Trayce Jackson-Davis

CHA - Jordan Walsh

DEN - Sidy Cissoko

CHA - Dillon Mitchell

WAS - Terquavion Smith

POR - Reece Beekman

SAS - Jalen Wilson

MEM - Amari Bailey

ATL - Kobe Brown

LAL - Zach Edey

LAC - Adem Bona

CLE - Keyontae Johnson

OKC - Mouhamed Gueye

BKN - DaRon Holmes II

PHX - Seth Lundy

MIN - Bobi Klintman

SAC - Coleman Hawkins

IND - Terrence Shannon Jr.

MEM - Julian Strawther

WAS - Hunter Tyson

MIL - Emoni Bates

Draft Intel - Prospects:

"Brandon Miller's camp says it is hoping he can do enough on his June 10 visit in Charlotte to convince the Hornets to give him assurances they'll pick him at this spot, something that might hinge more on how he performs in his interview arrived holding a legal brief written by his attorneys informing teams that he would not be able to comment on specific details regarding his involvement in the lead-up to the fatal shooting of Jamea Jonae Harris. It's the biggest factor holding him back from being the easy choice at No. 2"

"Sources say Scoot Henderson is also very interested in Charlotte's situation and would welcome hearing his name called second, as much due to geographic proximity to his hometown of Marietta, Georgia, as the excitement over new ownership that is potentially taking over the Hornets org"

"Cam Whitmore helped his cause by putting his tremendous physical tools and overall talent on display at the WME pro day in Santa Barbara, California. Pretty much every NBA representative in attendance walked away highly impressed by the considerable long-term upside he possesses"

"Many NBA eyebrows were raised last week when Jarace Walker called off his pro day appearance in Santa Barbara at the last minute, despite looking completely healthy. The immediate suspicion among teams was that a team has elected to "shut him down""

"Although Jordan Hawkins is widely viewed as the top shooter in the draft, there's a bit of disagreement among executives as to where exactly he becomes worth the bet, whether that's late lottery range or further down"

"Dereck Lively II is another player who generated significant buzz at the Klutch pro day, appearing to be in outstanding shape physically, shooting the ball exceptionally well from the perimeter and bringing a degree of intensity and aggressiveness we didn't always see in his lone season at Duke. He'll have to validate that in private workouts, but the dearth of big men in this class gives him the ability to be a riser on draft night"

"Jett Howard is a bit of a polarizing prospect in this class, as he seems to have some real fans in NBA front offices, but also some teams weren't impressed at all with what they saw from him in Big Ten play as he was playing hurt"

"Rayan Rupert is being selective with the teams he visits, prioritizing roster fit and strong development situations on playoff-caliber teams rather than trying to be selected as high as possible"

"Brice Sensabaugh has been hobbled by a knee issue he suffered late in Ohio State's season, which required surgery and has thus far prevented him from conducting competitive team workouts, a source told ESPN"

Draft Intel - Teams:

"There's been some chatter that the Orlando Magic might not keep both of their lottery picks -- they should certainly have options if they choose to try to move around"

"Most NBA executives expect the OKC Thunder to be active in trade discussions looking to potentially package the 12th pick and future first-rounders in an attempt to move up on draft night, which makes sense considering the shortage of roster spots the Thunder could be working with moving forward with all the talent they've accumulated"

Very interesting comments.... Thanks for sharing that..

Mr. Body
05-31-2023, 03:18 PM
Jaden Hood-Schifino that high is definitely a surprise. Honestly it's nice to see someone go against the received wisdom. Most mocks have Cason Wallace there. There's some chatter about Cason's position is all over the place. Some see him as a good piece but not scalable to a lead guard. Others, of course, disagree.

OKC is worth keeping an eye on. They're a year or two ahead of us in the 'glut of assets' schedule. They almost have to start moving up in drafts.

Seems generally a lot of movement upward for Bufkin and Lively. Dick was already in top 11 consideration and he could go higher, too.

If that Orlando 11 is up for grabs, the Spurs would have to hope they want future capital. Other teams can let them fall back slots.

I feel that if Hendricks is available to Dallas they keep the pick and take him.

As for the Spurs' picks, not that they're likely:

GG Jackson a huge drop here. The Spurs would be exactly right for him. Not so sure the other direction. He has good one-on-one skills but is a disaster as a teammate, is maybe even worse than Samanic in effort, and is terrible on defense. I could take a flyer on him if somehow they interviewed him and found a good kid who just needs to be goosed along for a while.

Jalen Wilson seems like a meh. Don't think he's athletic enough for the NBA. I'd much rather take Kobe Brown or even Bobi Klintmann and stash him in Sweden.

Mugen
05-31-2023, 04:00 PM
I wonder if two future firsts (CHA and a heavily protected 1st) + McDermott is enough to get Orlando to move off of #11. Might be worthwhile if two of Black/Cason/Bufkin are available there tbh.

mo7888
05-31-2023, 04:30 PM
I wonder if two future firsts (CHA and a heavily protected 1st) + McDermott is enough to get Orlando to move off of #11. Might be worthwhile if two of Black/Cason/Bufkin are available there tbh.

I think top 10 protected in that scenario is reasonable. I also don't think they really want to rookies added to their team this summer.

BackHome
05-31-2023, 05:13 PM
Everyone thinks Bobi Klintmann got a wink wink deal as he pretty much shut it down after season ended.

Mugen
05-31-2023, 05:23 PM
I think we see at least 4 trades involving picks #2-14. Some early predictions:

-Portland moves off #3 (Siakam?)
-Detroit moves off #5 (Indy?)
-OKC moves into the top 10 (W/ Washington at 8?)
-Dallas moves off #10
-Orlando moves off #11

If the Spurs want to move back into the lottery, they'll have plenty of suitors tbh.

Mr. Body
05-31-2023, 07:15 PM

I don't think this would be enough. McDermott isn't worth much. Orlando probably wants to trade back and the Spurs have nothing there. Or they want to get something in the future and the picks you mention are worse than the one they're trading. They can get better offers.

Mr. Body
05-31-2023, 07:16 PM
I think we see at least 4 trades involving picks #2-14. Some early predictions:

-Portland moves off #3 (Siakam?)
-Detroit moves off #5 (Indy?)
-OKC moves into the top 10 (W/ Washington at 8?)
-Dallas moves off #10
-Orlando moves off #11

If the Spurs want to move back into the lottery, they'll have plenty of suitors tbh.

And plenty of competition. More competition drives the prices up.

exstatic
05-31-2023, 07:27 PM
And plenty of competition. More competition drives the prices up.

Our wallet is fatter than anyone except OKC.

Mr. Body
05-31-2023, 07:31 PM

Sure, sort of.

Most teams wanting to trade down in the, say, 3-11 position don't want to trade out. They want to trade down.

If teams want to trade out, we have a lot to offer. But for teams wanting to trade down, we ain't got anything.

Russ
05-31-2023, 07:44 PM
Spurs are sitting pretty.

No. 1 pick in a one deep draft.

Pick #33 in a draft where that's the perfect value point.

Degoat
05-31-2023, 07:59 PM
Kinda think teams will try to get a ransom from the spurs if they do want to trade up into the lottery, especially since we got #1

spurraider21
05-31-2023, 07:59 PM
Brooklyn, Utah

exstatic
05-31-2023, 08:16 PM
Brooklyn, Utah

Utah already has 3 FRPs, and are likely to be sellers. BKN also has multiple picks.

Mr. Body
05-31-2023, 08:18 PM
I think he means Brooklyn and Utah have a trove of picks.

What exstatic meant was an overall 'wallet' of future picks.

Brooklyn gets into weird territory the next few years, but those PHX picks will be sweet. Utah has a lot of picks in general. But will need to consolidate at some point.

spurraider21
05-31-2023, 08:18 PM
Utah already has 3 FRPs, and are likely to be sellers. BKN also has multiple picks.
they both could be candidates to consolidate and move up for those earlier lottery picks

exstatic
05-31-2023, 08:25 PM
they both could be candidates to consolidate and move up for those earlier lottery picks

BKN is going to have a tough go trying to get there with only 21,22. Utah has a better shot, with 9,16, and 28.

Mr. Body
05-31-2023, 08:50 PM
BKN is going to have a tough go trying to get there with only 21,22. Utah has a better shot, with 9,16, and 28.

I haven't heard anything about Brooklyn wanting to get deep into the top 10. But then Marks is pretty quiet, Spurs quality. I can see him wanting to get into the late lottery with those picks, but some good players might be there anyway. I could see them grabbing Bufkin and Coulibaly and leaving, cackling.

jesterbobman
05-31-2023, 08:56 PM
If Cason lasts that late I think we'd be able to trade up for him without too much of an issue. 33, Toronto pick and a second might be enough to get up to 17 or so.

ace3g
05-31-2023, 11:18 PM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1664123985813032960

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1664124347127066624

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-01-2023, 09:42 AM
Incredibly surprised Julian Phillips, Amauri Bailey, Bobi Klintman and Jordan Walsh haven’t returned to school. I can only imagine most if not all have received a late first round promise.

BackHome
06-01-2023, 07:33 PM
All of them did good as far as measurements and play in NBA combine the only one who didn't do anything was Klintman so everyone was surprised he stayed in and saying he must have received a promise from a team. He has talent it's just who ever takes him got to be cool he is a 3 year project

Mr. Body
06-01-2023, 07:35 PM
All of them did good as far as measurements and play in NBA combine the only one who didn't do anything was Klintman so everyone was surprised he stayed in and saying he must have received a promise from a team. He has talent it's just who ever takes him got to be cool he is a 3 year project

Draft n stashes don't really happen anymore, but Klintmann might be the last of a breed.

But then the last draft had so many shitty-ass players who couldn't shoot or do much of anything get picked. The last few drafts, really. Remember Ziaire Williams?

JPB
06-01-2023, 07:50 PM
Sure, sort of.

Most teams wanting to trade down in the, say, 3-11 position don't want to trade out. They want to trade down.

If teams want to trade out, we have a lot to offer. But for teams wanting to trade down, we ain't got anything.

that's a crucial point.

BackHome
06-01-2023, 11:06 PM
Tankathon just came out with there new mock they have the following:

Black going 9th
Dick going 10th
Wallace 11th
Kobe Bufkin 15th
Bilal going 25 to Memphis
Spurs 33rd pick Cidy Cissoko - ESTATIC Favorite second round player. Lol
Spurs 44th pick Jordan Walsh

Looking at there mock the first round looks legit the second round looks like they hurried it to be honest

rankingtear
06-02-2023, 02:16 AM
Cason dropping looks like value. I think he is a Wright guy, high floor with hidden upside. He played center as a kid, I think last year was early development of his guard skills.

Degoat
06-02-2023, 10:10 AM
If the spurs stay at 33, I’m planting my Flag and hoping Colby Jones is available. He gives me some big Malcolm Brogdan Vibes

BackHome
06-06-2023, 10:45 AM
I think this draft is going to be pretty crazy I see a lot of teams wanting to make moves;

1. Charlotte has worked out almost have lottery candidates and some possibly showing signs they might be open to trading pick
2. Boston has almost worked out every first round potential player including lottery picks but they only have a second round pick at 35

Rumors;
1. Houston will be looking at moving there 20th pick as they have to many young players
2. Suns keeping Paul but looking at moving Ayton
3. Utah possible looking at Bilal at 9 and PG at 16
4. Indiana possible team that made promise to Bobi Klintman

Mr. Body
06-06-2023, 11:09 AM
I think this draft is going to be pretty crazy I see a lot of teams wanting to make moves;

1. Charlotte has worked out almost have lottery candidates and some possibly showing signs they might be open to trading pick
2. Boston has almost worked out every first round potential player including lottery picks but they only have a second round pick at 35

Rumors;
1. Houston will be looking at moving there 20th pick as they have to many young players

This may be a year we finally see a lot of movement.

Charlotte should be looking for a basket. Also, hilarious if they eff things up for Portland.

No idea what Boston is after. But they do need to be aggressive esp if they keep Brown.

Houston is going to show us our future a little bit. They have so many young players and many pick incoming. What do they do?

As for the #20 pick, that's kind of a dud (least how I see it). The bargain guards are all gone and now you're looking at Bryce Sensabaugh. Might make sense to gamble on a guy like Whitehead if he's there.

I think Utah's smart move is to not go for a PG with 9 because there will be options left at 16. Unless they fall for someone.

exstatic
06-06-2023, 11:13 AM

Rumors;

Perhaps they've been talking to Portland about a Jaylen Brown for #3 swap.

BatManu20
06-06-2023, 12:27 PM

mo7888
06-06-2023, 01:35 PM

Rumors;

With Houston, I really wonder how real all the Harden returning rumors are? If it's in the bag it seems to me they have to either 1) take Miller if he falls, 2) draft a big like Walker or Henderson, or 3) trade it, and that could be trading back for a Gradey Dick or for a player and draft capital. All the mocks showing them taking Amen seem I'll advised if the rumors are true. It's just not a good pairing.

mo7888
06-06-2023, 01:36 PM
Perhaps they've been talking to Portland about a Jaylen Brown for #3 swap.

Since Portland is committed to Dame, I think that might have traction and be good for both teams.

scott
06-06-2023, 01:49 PM
This may be a year we finally see a lot of movement.

Charlotte should be looking for a basket. Also, hilarious if they eff things up for Portland.

No idea what Boston is after. But they do need to be aggressive esp if they keep Brown.

Houston is going to show us our future a little bit. They have so many young players and many pick incoming. What do they do?

As for the #20 pick, that's kind of a dud (least how I see it). The bargain guards are all gone and now you're looking at Bryce Sensabaugh. Might make sense to gamble on a guy like Whitehead if he's there.

I think Utah's smart move is to not go for a PG with 9 because there will be options left at 16. Unless they fall for someone.

If I were Charlotte I'd be looking to reset things by sending Melo to Portland for #3. For as much as we've discussed getting Wemby AND Scoot on this board, I think it makes a lot more sense for Charlotte to be looking at locking up #2 and #3. Melo hasn't been able to stay healthy, the team isn't any worse without him if you look at the splits, he is about to need a massive extension, new ownership on the way, and the team isn't really close to competing. All the making for a push of the reset button.

mo7888
06-06-2023, 02:01 PM
If I were Charlotte I'd be looking to reset things by sending Melo to Portland for #3. For as much as we've discussed getting Wemby AND Scoot on this board, I think it makes a lot more sense for Charlotte to be looking at locking up #2 and #3. Melo hasn't been able to stay healthy, the team isn't any worse without him if you look at the splits, he is about to need a massive extension, new ownership on the way, and the team isn't really close to competing. All the making for a push of the reset button.While I agree with your take on Charlotte moving Melo for #3, if Boston offers Brown then that Trumps Charlotte's Melo offer. Dame would much rather play with a guy that's fully healthy and has had playoff success instead of an oft injured potential of a player.

Obstructed_View
06-06-2023, 02:34 PM
With Houston, I really wonder how real all the Harden returning rumors are? If it's in the bag it seems to me they have to either 1) take Miller if he falls, 2) draft a big like Walker or Henderson, or 3) trade it, and that could be trading back for a Gradey Dick or for a player and draft capital. All the mocks showing them taking Amen seem I'll advised if the rumors are true. It's just not a good pairing.

A team that is looking forward to getting James Harden back is also a team stupid enough to draft Amen to pair with him.

Extra Stout
06-06-2023, 02:39 PM
A team that is looking forward to getting James Harden back is also a team stupid enough to draft Amen to pair with him.
Or even worse, a team dumb enough to package the #4 in a trade for KAT.

Seventyniner
06-06-2023, 02:45 PM
While I agree with your take on Charlotte moving Melo for #3, if Boston offers Brown then that Trumps Charlotte's Melo offer. Dame would much rather play with a guy that's fully healthy and has had playoff success instead of an oft injured potential of a player.

Charlotte won't know if Boston will even offer that, unless Portland really is talking to Boston about that and Portland leaks the info. If Charlotte thinks that offer would help their team they should call up Portland and make it regardless of what they think Portland and Boston are talking about.

Mr. Body
06-06-2023, 02:48 PM

I don't think Harden was ever serious about leaving. He's just trying to get his bag. They'll work to trade Harris.

Meanwhile, Kevin Porter Junior somehow makes $15.86 million for the next three years and then one at a team option. How the F did that happen?

spurraider21
06-06-2023, 03:19 PM
If I were Charlotte I'd be looking to reset things by sending Melo to Portland for #3. For as much as we've discussed getting Wemby AND Scoot on this board, I think it makes a lot more sense for Charlotte to be looking at locking up #2 and #3. Melo hasn't been able to stay healthy, the team isn't any worse without him if you look at the splits, he is about to need a massive extension, new ownership on the way, and the team isn't really close to competing. All the making for a push of the reset button.
not to mention, resetting from an actually productive Melo to an additional high lottery pick means they're more likely to keep that protected first :lol

mo7888
06-06-2023, 05:52 PM

Touche'

mo7888
06-06-2023, 05:53 PM
I don't think Harden was ever serious about leaving. He's just trying to get his bag. They'll work to trade Harris.

Meanwhile, Kevin Porter Junior somehow makes $15.86 million for the next three years and then one at a team option. How the F did that happen?

Wow...I thought KPJ's contract was a team option for each season not just the last....that's awful..

Mr. Body
06-06-2023, 06:06 PM
Wow...I thought KPJ's contract was a team option for each season not just the last....that's awful..

You're right - apparently non-guaranteed year over year. The site I was on, HoopsHype, didn't show that.

Obstructed_View
06-06-2023, 06:12 PM
Or even worse, a team dumb enough to package the #4 in a trade for KAT.

Making moves just to be moving is such a Mark Cuban move. I don't know why other teams try to do it. It's a sure sign that your decision-makers don't know what the hell they're doing.

scott
06-06-2023, 06:28 PM
While I agree with your take on Charlotte moving Melo for #3, if Boston offers Brown then that Trumps Charlotte's Melo offer. Dame would much rather play with a guy that's fully healthy and has had playoff success instead of an oft injured potential of a player.

No doubt, it might not be the best offer Portland gets, but I do think that is the direction I'd be thinking if I were the Hornets. Of course, this also hurts the value of our FRP from Charlotte, but they rightfully give zero F's about us.

DPG21920
06-06-2023, 08:01 PM
I will be at the Draft in BKY again this year! Had to make it out for some Spurs history…..I will try to take some pics

BatManu20
06-06-2023, 08:13 PM
I will be at the Draft in BKY again this year! Had to make it out for some Spurs history…..I will try to take some pics

Nice. Decent seats? They might show you in the crowd after the selection if you’re wearing Spurs gear. Especially if it’s a Wemby jersey.

spurraider21
06-06-2023, 08:44 PM
seeing taylor hendricks fall to the mavs at 10 in a lot of mocks. he seems like quite the perfect for them tbh. another shooting weapon alongside doncic who finally gives them a legit defensive presence. the mavs collapsed toward the end of last year but i still wouldnt sleep on them as a good team this year. hendricks seems like a guy who can hit the ground running too

DPG21920
06-06-2023, 08:58 PM
Nice. Decent seats? They might show you in the crowd after the selection if you’re wearing Spurs gear. Especially if it’s a Wemby jersey.

Ya - should be solid seats. I’m getting a custom Spurs draft shirt made from Dakota Mitchell (does cool Spurs gear at CampecheColletive)

Funny story about showing me in crowd - I was actually on ESPN after covid for the draft. I had been for a few years in a row pre covid and ESPN ran a segment for the first draft post covid where they allowed fans back in. I was not even at that draft but they used footage from like 2 drafts before that and it was me walking in the door with my spurs gear all happy :lol

So odd they used old footage but all my friends were like “dude you were on ESPN today”

Degoat
06-06-2023, 10:22 PM
It’s hard to say what the spurs will do after drafting wemby. Like many on here PG seems to be the position of need but honestly I think they like their trio of Tre, Graham, Wesley, with other contributing to bringing the ball up. I’m starting to see us going with a forward with #33 tbh

barakz21
06-07-2023, 12:18 PM

how do you go to that? Tickets? And if so, how much do they cost?

DPG21920
06-08-2023, 10:04 AM
how do you go to that? Tickets? And if so, how much do they cost?

It’s held at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn….you can buy tickets from Ticketmaster and they range from $70 all the way to $400. So its not really any different than going to watch a basketball game, just have to buy a ticket

They also have these special “experiences” packages too where you can meet the draftees and go on stage etc…those are like $1200-$2500 though

barakz21
06-08-2023, 10:11 AM
I am seriously interested in going. But damn at that price? I might as well just spend that amount (probably will be a bit more) when they’re in town to play either the Knicks or Nets (whichever one will be cheaper and works best with my work schedule though). In any case, thanks!

BatManu20
06-09-2023, 10:24 AM
Random but seems like a solid deal for Denver depending on the protections. Think this is OKC understanding they have too many upcoming picks and are taking a discount here in hopes that Denver sucks in 6 years.

RC_Drunkford
06-09-2023, 10:50 AM
Smart move by the Nuggets. They will be a contender for years to come. Their core is still young and Jokic‘s game should age well

Mr. Body
06-09-2023, 10:51 AM
Random but seems like a solid deal for Denver depending on the protections. Think this is OKC understanding they have too many upcoming picks and are taking a discount here in hopes that Denver sucks in 6 years.

OKC has four (!) first round picks next year. Utah, Houston, LAC, and their own. This pick will likely not be incredible, but around 20 or so. Denver needs help now, and that 37 in this draft may actually be pretty good.

This is a good option, flipping draft picks forward. We may eventually do that, too.

mo7888
06-09-2023, 11:01 AM
OKC has four (!) first round picks next year. Utah, Houston, LAC, and their own. This pick will likely not be incredible, but around 20 or so. Denver needs help now, and that 37 in this draft may actually be pretty good.

This is a good option, flipping draft picks forward. We may eventually do that, too.

I like the strategy of flipping a pick forward here and there to keep more options open.

Seventyniner
06-09-2023, 11:12 AM
I don't know if I've ever heard of a team in the Finals making a trade, let alone any team this time of year.

This is OC paying up to roll an asset forward. I see the logic for both sides.

Mr. Body
06-09-2023, 11:15 AM
I like the strategy of flipping a pick forward here and there to keep more options open.

We see how SRPs will have value here or there, too.

Mr. Body
I don't know if I've ever heard of a team in the Finals making a trade, let alone any team this time of year.

This is OC paying up to roll an asset forward. I see the logic for both sides.

Denver has to see a really flat landscape before them. If they can maintain good role-players, they might actually have a bit of a run.

BatManu20
Yea this is part of the problem with stockpiling too many picks. They lose trade value the longer you hold ‘em and you realize there’s simply too many for you to actually use to draft players. That’s why I’m all for moving a package of multiple picks for the right player. Will be interesting to see if we jump back into the lottery in a couple weeks.

mo7888
06-09-2023, 11:18 AM
We see how SRPs will have value here or there, too.

That's true. There's are certain years where 2rp's have more value than other years too. As for those, I know ex is a proponent of selling all of them. I'm more of a proponent of packaging them for a future 1st way down the line. It may require a little patience waiting on the right deal, but I prefer that to selling them.

BatManu20
06-09-2023, 11:18 AM
Denver has to see a really flat landscape before them. If they can maintain good role-players, they might actually have a bit of a run.

Agreed. Their core is young and locked up for the foreseeable future. Joker’s 28, Murray only 26, Gordon 27, and MPJ only 24. Plus Braun is only 22 and seems to have a bright future with room to grow as a player. They’re likely going to lose Bruce Brown to free agency this Summer, so they need more draft picks to help fill out the roster. Hate to use the D word but Denver could definitely be in that category if they stay healthy over the next couple years.

Mr. Body
06-09-2023, 11:22 AM
Agreed. Their core is young and locked up for the foreseeable future. Joker’s 28, Murray only 26, Gordon 27, and MPJ only 24. Plus Braun is only 22 and seems to have a bright future with room to grow as a player. They’re likely going to lose Bruce Brown to free agency this Summer, so they need more draft picks to help fill out the roster. Hate to use the D word but Denver could definitely be in that category if they stay healthy over the next couple years.

They're a strong team and locked in right now. The dynasty word does feel out of place. Like Milwaukee, Golden State last year, none of these teams are really that great. But someone has to win the chip and Denver's the one really ready and able to do it this time.

exstatic
06-09-2023, 11:25 AM
That's true. There's are certain years where 2rp's have more value than other years too. As for those, I know ex is a proponent of selling all of them. I'm more of a proponent of packaging them for a future 1st way down the line. It may require a little patience waiting on the right deal, but I prefer that to selling them.

Not all at once, but yes, if we maintain the same amount of FRPs, or increase that, it should be enough of a talent pool to draw from.

When you have 13 FRPs, almost any of our 19 SRPs that are drafted will be a wasted resource that could have been used to grease a trade like OKC did, or converted year over year into cash.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-09-2023, 11:57 AM
It's an interesting trade.

I don't think it's about Denver looking to fill up the roster with rookies, it's more likely that this gives them the opportunity to do trades using a pick as they'd now have 2 2024 1st round picks. They've already traded all of the picks they could going forward, so this gives them another option to use to upgrade the roster. They also must have reworked the protections on their 2027 pick that they already owe to OKC that has protections going to 2029.

mo7888
06-09-2023, 12:28 PM
Not all at once, but yes, if we maintain the same amount of FRPs, or increase that, it should be enough of a talent pool to draw from.

When you have 13 FRPs, almost any of our 19 SRPs that are drafted will be a wasted resource that could have been used to grease a trade like OKC did, or converted year over year into cash.

I get the strategy there, I just think there's more value in packaging them in certain years for a pick several years down the road or in some cases attaching them to dump a poor contract, or attach them when trying to acquire a particular role player. I'm just not as high on dumping them for a few bucks when I think there is more value in being patient and opportunistic.

scott
06-09-2023, 01:14 PM

I posted this in the "Cost of moving up" thread, but the pick that OKC is giving up could in theory be as high as #2*.

LAC and OKC's relative standing in the league means it is likely to be in the teens or 20s as you mentioned, but this is not a nothing pick. Very interesting and it does have implications as to the (lack of) value in our CHA pick.

*For the pick to be #2, OKC, LAC and HOU would have to get Top 4 picks and UTAH a Top 10 pick and OKC-LAC (in any order) would have to get 1-2.

baseline bum
06-09-2023, 01:19 PM

Murray always gets hurt in the playoffs and Michael Porter Jr is a ticking time bomb. Jokic is amazing but he can't do it on his own.

Mr. Body
06-09-2023, 01:21 PM
I posted this in the "Cost of moving up" thread, but the pick that OKC is giving up could in theory be as high as #2*.

LAC and OKC's relative standing in the league means it is likely to be in the teens or 20s as you mentioned, but this is not a nothing pick. Very interesting and it does have implications as to the (lack of) value in our CHA pick.

*For the pick to be #2, OKC, LAC and HOU would have to get Top 4 picks and UTAH a Top 10 pick and OKC-LAC (in any order) would have to get 1-2.

I doubt this gets a high pick for Denver, but there's a moderate chance it goes late lottery, although that's doubtful. It's highly likely one of Utah, OKC, or Clippers make the playoffs and this pick gets in the 16-20 range.

Still, I think this is a loss for OKC, depending on the protection on Denver's 2029 pick.

And I want to smack people (not you) who claim the next year's draft is weak. I abhor received wisdom just repeated carelessly. This year's draft was supposedly for the ages, back when Dereck Lively and Dariq Whitehead were considered godly prospects and Nick Smith Jr was considered a stunning player. None of that shit panned out. You got to wait until they play the next level.

mo7888
06-09-2023, 02:03 PM
I doubt this gets a high pick for Denver, but there's a moderate chance it goes late lottery, although that's doubtful. It's highly likely one of Utah, OKC, or Clippers make the playoffs and this pick gets in the 16-20 range.

Still, I think this is a loss for OKC, depending on the protection on Denver's 2029 pick.

And I want to smack people (not you) who claim the next year's draft is weak. I abhor received wisdom just repeated carelessly. This year's draft was supposedly for the ages, back when Dereck Lively and Dariq Whitehead were considered godly prospects and Nick Smith Jr was considered a stunning player. None of that shit panned out. You got to wait until they play the next level.

By that definition no draft can be poor or one for the ages going into it.....

scott
06-09-2023, 02:18 PM

I also think this is an L for OKC, probably driven by the pressure of an abundance of picks (which is a cautionary tale for us).

If I were in OKC's shoes, I would have been angling for Top-6 protections on that DEN 29 pick just based on time value alone. While I agree that the smart money is on the pick going to DEN next year being in the 16-24 range, the range of outcomes is 2-30, which is wild. LAC is always in such a weird space with the health of their two stars, and OKC could be an SGA injury away from major regression. These are not, of course, things you can or should bet on - but the risk/reward profile of the pick going to DEN in 24 is really interesting, and DEN essentially gets a free roll for a mere protected pick in 2029.

The more I do the mental math, the more it looks like a huge L for OKC.

Also, 100% agree with you on thinking next year's class is weak. It doesn't have a Wemby, but people are acting like there are great players drafted who aren't Duncan/Lebron/Wemby level prospects. There are actually a few interesting prospects next year (Buzelis, Collier, Wagner, Booker, etc) that it is just too early to judge.

R. DeMurre
06-09-2023, 02:45 PM
It's impossible to know what 2029 will look like, but I'd bet a 34 yr old Jokic is still pretty good, and that OKC pick might not be much. Denver getting four shots in the the next two drafts at finding a solid bench piece or two is a really smart move for them.

spurraider21
06-09-2023, 02:48 PM
Yea this is part of the problem with stockpiling too many picks. They lose trade value the longer you hold ‘em and you realize there’s simply too many for you to actually use to draft players. That’s why I’m all for moving a package of multiple picks for the right player. Will be interesting to see if we jump back into the lottery in a couple weeks.
having a million picks is nice when you dont have the centerpiece and need to take swing after swing after swing on guys. landing wemby makes them less useful. need more quality than quantity now

exstatic
06-09-2023, 03:37 PM

It doesn't have a generational prospect, so some equate that with being weak. I reminded them that last summer, no one had Anthony Black or Taylor Hendricks as even being one and dones, and now, they're consensus top 10 picks.

exstatic
06-09-2023, 03:42 PM
I get the strategy there, I just think there's more value in packaging them in certain years for a pick several years down the road or in some cases attaching them to dump a poor contract, or attach them when trying to acquire a particular role player. I'm just not as high on dumping them for a few bucks when I think there is more value in being patient and opportunistic.

I'm actually in favor of almost any use of the SRPs other than drafting players who will almost certainly be let go at some point, rendering the asset a zero value.

Mr. Body
06-09-2023, 03:43 PM
It doesn't have a generational prospect, so some equate that with being weak. I reminded them that last summer, no one had Anthony Black or Taylor Hendricks as even being one and dones, and now, they're consensus top 10 picks.

Pundits say a draft is weak when it doesn't have 2-3 topline players. Sometimes they'll react to high school rankings, which are almost completely worthless. Drafts aren't strong or weak by way of their top 3 players. But it's easy to market them this way.

And, of course -- you get it, a draft cannot be determined until guys start playing the next level. Anthony Black wasn't on anyone's radar. Coulibaly, Bufkin, any of these dudes. And then you have overrated players hanging on by fingernails because they were rated highly and didn't completely shit the bed, like Cam Whitmore.

Mr. Body
06-09-2023, 03:44 PM
I'm actually in favor of almost any use of the SRPs other than drafting players who will almost certainly be let go at some point, rendering the asset a zero value.

The Denver trade suggests that highly leveraged teams will see decent to good value to these picks. I think the Spurs' cache has a lot of mediocre SRPs, but they're still going to appeal to teams who have traded away their firsts or need cheap young players to fill their rosters who might turn out to be better. The upcoming era, this stash of SRPs looks nice to have.

So much so that it's not outside the realm of possibility that a team might trade a future first for a wad of SRPs spread over nearby years.

BatManu20
06-09-2023, 04:36 PM

exstatic
06-09-2023, 04:44 PM

Some stupid team will take his unmotivated ass.

spurraider21
06-09-2023, 04:47 PM
i know it wont work out well for them, but portland seems like they'd be enticed to try something

BatManu20
06-09-2023, 04:55 PM
Agreed. I want nothing to do with KAT, but Portland seems like a good partner if they’re trying to move him. If they’re dumb enough to offer the 3rd Pick for him (unlikely), T-wolves should jump all over that. They need to recoup some of those lost assets in that horrendous Rudy Gobert trade. And he’s locked up for the next 3 years, 4 if he opts in to his Player Option.

Mr. Body
06-09-2023, 05:25 PM
I remember getting downvotes and vitriol like two or three years ago for saying KAT was a complete bum.

Mr. Body
06-09-2023, 05:30 PM
Rumors are that Harden wants KAT to join him in Houston.

Lawls

RC_Drunkford
06-09-2023, 05:54 PM
Curious to see which idiotic FO is giving up the house for KAT. If Portland takes him and the Wolves can pair Ant with Scoot that's actually a W for them

mystargtr34
06-09-2023, 06:12 PM
Minny has to trade him. He’s not a 4 and can’t play next to Rudy. Too slow on both ends.

The only way KAT will be a net positive player is if you play him at the 5 and surround him with a strong defensive 4 and at least one other strong defender on the wing.

I think Miami is actually a reasonable fit. Slide Bam down to the 4.

It would probably take Tyler Herro and a 1st in a 3-team deal as I’m not sure Minny would want Herro since he and Ant are both position locked at the 2.

KAT
Bam
Jimmy
Strus
Vincent

Solid shooting, scoring and defense tbh.

Other good fits would include.

Cavs - Package centred around Jarrett Allen in a 3 team deal. KAT plays next to Mobley who will protect the rim and cover KAT on D.

Grizzlies - KAT plays next to JJJ. Would need to include Tyus Jones and probably 3+ 1sts and a prospect or two.

Thunder - Pair him next to Chet at the 4.

Every other team in the league KAT would be a net negative imo he gives up to much on defense.

Mr. Body
06-09-2023, 06:14 PM
KAT is soft as fuck and I wouldn't take him for free. He's always been a soft nobody.

JPB
06-09-2023, 06:19 PM
Do you have to take all his pornstar friends if you trade for KAT?

Or maybe that's the sweetener.

scott
06-09-2023, 06:22 PM
This offseason is shaping up to be just as wild and fun as last year's. Really looking forward to it AND glad we have Wemby coming in instead of planning of another year of hoping to be a facilitator to collect assets for future draft opportunities.

lefty20
06-09-2023, 06:52 PM

CGD
06-10-2023, 07:34 AM
Minny has to trade him. He’s not a 4 and can’t play next to Rudy. Too slow on both ends.

The only way KAT will be a net positive player is if you play him at the 5 and surround him with a strong defensive 4 and at least one other strong defender on the wing.

I think Miami is actually a reasonable fit. Slide Bam down to the 4.

It would probably take Tyler Herro and a 1st in a 3-team deal as I’m not sure Minny would want Herro since he and Ant are both position locked at the 2.

KAT
Bam
Jimmy
Strus
Vincent

Solid shooting, scoring and defense tbh.

Other good fits would include.

Cavs - Package centred around Jarrett Allen in a 3 team deal. KAT plays next to Mobley who will protect the rim and cover KAT on D.

Grizzlies - KAT plays next to JJJ. Would need to include Tyus Jones and probably 3+ 1sts and a prospect or two.

Thunder - Pair him next to Chet at the 4.

Every other team in the league KAT would be a net negative imo he gives up to much on defense.

KAT is not Heat material

CGD
06-10-2023, 07:40 AM

Lawls

They deserve each other. Makes total sense actually.

Teamduncan21
06-10-2023, 09:20 AM
KAT is not Heat material

Butler is gonna go crazy with him around

CGD
06-10-2023, 10:02 AM
Butler is gonna go crazy with him around

Again…

I forgot they already had beef.

Extra Stout
06-10-2023, 10:06 AM

Lawls
People who know people who know people in Houston say Harden and KAT to Houston is just waiting for July to get here.

Fertitta couldn’t stomach the rebuild.

BatManu20
06-10-2023, 01:07 PM
People who know people who know people in Houston say Harden and KAT to Houston is just waiting for July to get here.

If Minnesota can get the 4th Pick for KAT straight up, that’s a major win for them imo. Just getting KAT off the books alone would be a major win. Nobody’s winning shit with that dude as one of their 2 best players. Then they can trade Gobert this year or next to recoup some picks from that awful trade they made to attain him. Would basically be a “get out of jail free card” for their franchise with how horribly they’ve managed it with those KAT and Gobert’s deals alone. Would be a fresh start for them with Ant and whoever they draft at 4 (likely Amen Thompson) instead of pedaling in mediocrity for the foreseeable future and being basically a guaranteed Play-In team for First Round out, much like we were just a couple years ago.

Mr. Body
06-10-2023, 01:44 PM
If Minnesota can get the 4th Pick for KAT straight up, that’s a major win for them imo. Just getting KAT off the books alone would be a major win. Nobody’s winning shit with that dude as one of their 2 best players. Then they can trade Gobert this year or next to recoup some picks from that awful trade they made to attain him. Would basically be a “get out of jail free card” for their franchise with how horribly they’ve managed it with those KAT and Gobert’s deals alone. Would be a fresh start for them with Ant and whoever they draft at 4 (likely Amen Thompson) instead of pedaling in mediocrity for the foreseeable future and being basically a guaranteed Play-In team for First Round out, much like we were just a couple years ago.

I agree that dumping anything for KAT is a win. Getting a top lottery pick would be unbelievable. But I think Gobert is good for them. What they paid is a sunk cost at this point, but he is a great defensive anchor. Just trying to solve him and KAT is pointless.

JPB
06-10-2023, 02:31 PM
I agree that dumping anything for KAT is a win. Getting a top lottery pick would be unbelievable. But I think Gobert is good for them. What they paid is a sunk cost at this point, but he is a great defensive anchor. Just trying to solve him and KAT is pointless.

I agree with that. Gobert is still a great defensice force, it was just nonsense to try an pair him with KAT.

Seventyniner
06-10-2023, 04:09 PM
It looks like I'm in the minority here, but I think KAT is a very good player. At least as good as prime Aldridge and not too far below Anthony Davis.

All the talk about "soft" and "weak" applied to those other two guys too, and they ended up each being easily good enough to be the second-best player on a title contender. If the Wolves offered him to the Spurs for one of the Atlanta picks + Keldon and salary ballast I would instantly accept.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-10-2023, 04:16 PM
It looks like I'm in the minority here, but I think KAT is a very good player. At least as good as prime Aldridge and not too far below Anthony Davis.

All the talk about "soft" and "weak" applied to those other two guys too, and they ended up each being easily good enough to be the second-best player on a title contender. If the Wolves offered him to the Spurs for one of the Atlanta picks + Keldon and salary ballast I would instantly accept.

Anthony Davis issue is his performance in big games and most of the narrative is coming from LeBron fanbois. Aldridge is a better comparison but he at least played tough defense. The reason KAT is labeled soft is because of how he defends and his durability.

He'd be a volume shooter on a bad team. I don't see the point.

CGD
06-10-2023, 04:41 PM

Well the makings of a deal are there with Rockets owning #4.

Deal may probably look something like:
- two of #20, 2024 BKN Pick, 2026 BKN pick
- one of Jabari or Green
- one of Eason of Sengun

RC_Drunkford
06-10-2023, 05:11 PM
the Rockets going all in with KAT and Harden would be great. That's good enough for the franchise to stay mediocre for the next 5 years, while then falling apart and having to rebuild again :lol

Ariel
06-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Well the makings of a deal are there with Rockets owning #4.

Deal may probably look something like:
- two of #20, 2024 BKN Pick, 2026 BKN pick
- one of Jabari or Green
- one of Eason of Sengun
Nah, that's a gross overpay, KAT won't command that much. Plus I very much doubt Ime will be on board with this, he's not that stupid.

Mr. Body
06-10-2023, 06:43 PM

Anthony Davis isn't even as good as prime Aldridge.

Obstructed_View
06-12-2023, 06:30 AM
Anthony Davis isn't even as good as prime Aldridge.

Not even close.

Degoat
06-12-2023, 07:14 AM
Spurs really are on a roster crunch. We have like two open spots maybe?

Collins/Mamu
Wemby/Sochan/Dom
KJ/Doug/Julian
Dev/Malaki
Tre/graham/Wesley

Do we think the spurs could simply sell #33 and use 44 on a two way? I’d be bummed with that but our roster is pretty much full

Spursfanfromafar
06-12-2023, 07:14 AM

I disagree. KAT is an overhyped, overpaid center whose value is only on the offensive end and that too, not so much, in playoff moments. He is certainly not as good as prime Aldridge. He is a unique player with his three point ability but has under-performed relative to expectations/ contract. Aldridge took the Blazers perennially into the playoffs and was a good player for the Spurs. KAT has barely made it to the playoffs without help and has not done enough.

exstatic
06-12-2023, 07:21 AM
Spurs really are on a roster crunch. We have like two open spots maybe?

Collins/Mamu
Wemby/Sochan/Dom
KJ/Doug/Julian
Dev/Malaki
Tre/graham/Wesley

Do we think the spurs could simply sell #33 and use 44 on a two way? I’d be bummed with that but our roster is pretty much full

Mamu, Dom, Julian all on the bubble, and not guaranteed a spot.

Mr. Body
06-12-2023, 07:29 AM
And McDermott and Graham aren't forever players.

Yes, there's a roster crunch though.

I don't think they'll sell the 33. It's too valuable.

Degoat
06-12-2023, 07:33 AM
Mamu, Dom, Julian all on the bubble, and not guaranteed a spot.

with the way they played I believe the spurs will bring them back (not to mention KBD who I also think could be brought back as well)

mo7888
06-12-2023, 08:44 AM
with the way they played I believe the spurs will bring them back (not to mention KBD who I also think could be brought back as well)

They played well enough to achieve the 2nd worse record in the league....they aren't guaranteed a spot...

Mr. Body
06-12-2023, 08:59 AM
Despite a crunch, I think the Spurs will pull two rookies out of this draft.

That's a hell of a lot of young players. But they seem to have their heads screwed on straight. Keep two or three mentors and see what happens.

Degoat
06-12-2023, 09:07 AM
They played well enough to achieve the 2nd worse record in the league....they aren't guaranteed a spot...

Guess we should get rid of everyone then…