PDA

View Full Version : Report: Damian Lillard Requests Trade, Spurs on List of Preferred Teams

Pages : [1] 2 3

Uriel
07-01-2023, 04:27 PM

Dex
07-01-2023, 04:35 PM

Cool to hear, but all we have to match money-wise is KJ, McD, and Graham and I'm sure Portland could do better.

RC_Drunkford
07-01-2023, 04:42 PM
We don’t have to match money wise, we have 25 million in open cap space

widowmaker
07-01-2023, 04:45 PM
I wouldn’t package kj for that dude.

Mr. Body
07-01-2023, 04:48 PM
Class up the trade request by mentioning the Spurs.

Mr. Body
07-01-2023, 04:48 PM
Cool to hear, but all we have to match money-wise is KJ, McD, and Graham and I'm sure Portland could do better.

We're under the cap. No need to attack Keldon.

baseline bum
07-01-2023, 04:49 PM
If he was two years younger I'd want the Spurs all over this. But he ain't.

Extra Stout
07-01-2023, 04:50 PM
Deep respect for the Spurs. The Spurs just got friend-zoned.

slick'81
07-01-2023, 04:51 PM
We ain't getting him

The Truth #6
07-01-2023, 04:59 PM
That would probably just cause a weird power struggle with Victor. I sort of prefer for this to be Victor’s team from day one with the assumption he’s not gonna be an arrogant prick about it, and let players learn to play around him. I’m not saying we should put too much pressure on him from the beginning, but having Lillard around would be sort of an opposite problem, potentially. Or I’m just scarred by the Kawhi horseshit.

timvp
07-01-2023, 05:04 PM
I have a deep respect for Damian Lillard ... but the timeline doesn't work. If I'm the Spurs, I don't give up multiple assets for a guy who will be expensive and declining when Wemby, in thoery, begins his ascent.

timvp

:lol

manufan10

scott
07-01-2023, 05:10 PM
I feel like Dame is gonna be one of those dudes still wowing everyone at 36. Not saying that will make him worth $60MM/year, but I don't think he'll be a broken as bum in his last season. Dude has a lot of pride and professionalism in his game, much like Lebron.

RD2191
07-01-2023, 05:19 PM
Trade for Dame. Get these kids in the playoffs and let them learn how to win on the big stage. What player could we sign or draft in the next 3 or 4 years that could possibly be as good as Dame? Who gives a fuck if he's 32? Isn't CP3 still balling (when healthy lol) at like 50 years old? Who the fuck wants to watch a bunch of 30 win seasons for the next 2-3 years? Wemby said he wants to win now. Believe him or don't. Just hope no one is crying when he dips in a few seasons because the front office was too chicken shit to try anything.

Jordan Jackson
07-01-2023, 05:21 PM
Donovan Mitchell really really wanted to be a Knick. He ended up in Cleveland. Bad shit might happen to you when you request a trade with some years left on your contract.

Blazers rightfully should be listening to everyone’s offer - not just the Heat.

wildbill2u
07-01-2023, 05:40 PM

Agenst and players always mention the Spurs as a great team destination, but sadly few stars ever seem to fall here.

SpursWoman
07-01-2023, 06:54 PM

:lol

Thomas82
07-01-2023, 06:56 PM
The Blazers would want too much for him besides, his top choice is Miami.

MarCowMar
07-01-2023, 07:03 PM
Would this need to be a trade that is consummated ASAP or could we just let the Blazers stew a bit and use the first half of the season to see how close Wemby is to being a legit centerpiece?

If Wemby ascends early I don't mind adding win-now vets to the team...

Feel like the Spurs have time on their side here--it's completely unknown whether our winning timeframe is immediate or a couple years out.

mo7888
07-01-2023, 07:04 PM
Would this need to be a trade that is consummated ASAP or could we just let the Blazers stew a bit and use the first half of the season to see how close Wemby is to being a legit centerpiece?

Feel like the Spurs have time on their side here--it's completely unknown whether our winning timeframe is immediate or a couple years out.

I don't think 'we' have anything to say about it

Mr. Body
07-01-2023, 07:09 PM

Right now he wants Miami.

Miami ain't got much to offer.

Other teams are raising their hands like Utah and Brooklyn.

Eventually Lillard will get that he can't go to Miami and will say he's okay with some other team. This'll take a while.

scott
07-01-2023, 07:11 PM
A good point made, however, that by mid-season we could quickly switch to buyer mode if Wemby is ascending and putting up 24/12/4/3, for example, and the other youngs are showing solid developmental progress. Say SA finds themselves in the 6 seed in January… you might consider a big move.

Or… that might lead you to believe in this core and just want to add via the bevy of picks we have coming.

cutewizard
07-01-2023, 07:11 PM
Let's move on.......

Russ
07-01-2023, 07:14 PM
Hopefully, when it comes to Lillard, the Spurs will be a facilitator and not a taker.

TekXX
07-01-2023, 07:17 PM
Can someone explain the timeline to me? I missed the memo about this timeline that keeps being brought up like y'all think Wright actually has a plan

Davidicus
07-01-2023, 07:18 PM
Woj went on sportscenter saying GMs are saying Portland is looking for best bidder and not necessarily Miami. That without a no trade clause plus he’s on a 4yr deal they need to do what’s best for Portland. Could be a way to up the anty from Miami but still noteworthy

mo7888
07-01-2023, 07:19 PM
Woj went on sportscenter saying GMs are saying Portland is looking for best bidder and not necessarily Miami. That without a no trade clause plus he’s on a 4yr deal they need to do what’s best for Portland. Could be a way to up the anty from Miami but still noteworthy

Miami doesn't have any anty to up..

SequSpur
07-01-2023, 07:21 PM
I have a deep respect for Damian Lillard ... but the timeline doesn't work. If I'm the Spurs, I don't give up multiple assets for a guy who will be expensive and declining when Wemby, in thoery, begins his ascent.

Spurs don’t have any assets. Do you have cable tv anymore?

BatManu20
07-01-2023, 07:22 PM
Damian Lillard is prepared to only play for the Miami Heat and his stance is Heat-or-bust, per Sam_amick

“He wants to compete with Jimmy Butler and Bam Adebayo, to grow inside that famed 'Heat culture' system under Pat Riley and Erik Spoelstra while becoming the final piece to their championship puzzle.”

EricB
07-01-2023, 07:22 PM
Can’t trade for Dame cause this franchise doesn’t try to win anymore.

all they do is evaluate and piss away talent. So no chance of improving the team! Gotta keep signing the garbage cheap players just to meet the floor.

EricB
07-01-2023, 07:23 PM
Spurs don’t have any assets. Do you have cable tv anymore?

they have lots of assets, they just chose not to use them, cause they don’t give a fuck about winning anymore.

why when so much of the fanbase runs interference for you by excusing losing and agreeing with it and then on top of it, you’re selling seats!

zero reason to try!

hell of a gig!

Mr. Body
07-01-2023, 07:24 PM
Can't wait until this generation of pissbabies retire and move on.

Davidicus
07-01-2023, 07:27 PM
Reposting what I posted in FA thread. If we do somehow trade for Dame I think there’s plenty of positives.

Count me in for wanting Lillard.

Yes our current strategy with Wemby is a very good one, but it's not the only good one.

Dame is CP3-like from a mentoring standpoint, but can actually play at an extremely high level for the next 3-6 years. I understand the "timeline" argument, but just because they won't align in a perfect storm does not mean that's the only route for a positive outcome, that is worth investing in:

Say we establish a smart, disciplined, and high-chemistry team over the next 2-4 years that other FA's want to come play for? What if Dame on the court gives Wemby space to breathe & grow, with opponent defenses not 100% laser focused on shutting him down? Wouldn't Dame surely mentor Sochan, Vassell, Keldon, etc. (whoever's left lol) into the best versions of themselves? Not to mention he plugs a major hole at PG. There are major positives to this 4-year timeline.

As for the money, yes he's got a huge contract but what are we spending that money on over 4 years that's better, in terms of getting Wemby to superstar status (the absolutely primary goal)? When Dame's contract is up, we max Vic's extension and re-sign Dame to a more appropriate contract as a veteran PG who can space the floor (and maybe he can still ball out after 4 years of Spurs load management + our new training facility).

So the goal would be around year 3-5 we've got some more rookies + 1-2 big FA's ready to ball for a championship.

This is all with a big asterisk that we can get Dame without selling the farm. Would take some poker-face negotiations since we aren't knocking on their door.

Second asterisk is I don't know who Dame is as a person, and I don't know Dame + Pop's relationship. I assume healthy on both counts.

EricB
07-01-2023, 07:32 PM
Lots of positives in trying to improve the team while not having to give up a ton of assets like they can with Lillard.

but the team needs more than one year of evaluating talent. “We have to see how these guys play” these same shit we were fed for last year why they had to blow it up.

they get lucky, get the generational talent now again “oh we can’t Ty to win yet, we have to keep evaluating cause we can do that shit anymore”

I don’t have to accept being fed bullshit about not wanting to win. You want to just get by sell tickets thanks to Wembenyama and play under the luxuaey tax? At least be fucking honest about instead of this bullshit of “oh we’re too young to try. We can’t possibly ADD and TRY!!!”

Once they made it acceptable to accept losing around here everyone is A Ok with it now.

TekXX
07-01-2023, 07:51 PM
Fuck Dame, "Heat Culture" what a joke

exstatic
07-01-2023, 08:20 PM
At this point,I want us to just sign enough players to fill the roster, and hit the ‘floor’, and tell Portland, Miami, Philadelphia, and the Clippers all to fuck off with their SRP cap rental plans.

CGD
07-01-2023, 08:21 PM
Hard pass

Phenomanul
07-01-2023, 10:40 PM
Didn't Dame play for Coach Pop as part of Team USA? Or did I imagine it?

lefty20
07-01-2023, 10:50 PM
Didn't Dame play for Coach Pop as part of Team USA? Or did I imagine it?

He did, but not very well. Got sonned by Nando and other Euro Guards. Iirc, he was playing with an abdominal issue.

offset formation
07-01-2023, 10:55 PM
At this point,I want us to just sign enough players to fill the roster, and hit the ‘floor’, and tell Portland, Miami, Philadelphia, and the Clippers all to fuck off with their SRP cap rental plans.

Make sure BWright gets that memo because he's currently salivating over scooping up every 2nd round pick he can get.

EricB
07-01-2023, 11:05 PM
Make sure BWright gets that memo because he's currently salivating over scooping up every 2nd round pick he can get.

so are the fans. “We just want ownership to save as much money as possible!”

loser mentality has growin into the fanbase and it sucks

Mr. Body
07-01-2023, 11:06 PM

We really missed the chance to pay Dillon Brooks $80 million.

heyheymymy
07-01-2023, 11:14 PM
Don't really want Dame in SA

sfernald
07-01-2023, 11:20 PM

Damn who pissed in your Cheerios today? Spurs have been as successful as any franchise in recent history. Short rebuild and we are back on the way up and people are screaming about it. Let the front office do their magic. The opposite of them is the Houston Rockets org and look at how that is going. That is no way to build a winner. A winner is built the Spurs, the Warriors, the Nuggets way.

honestfool84
07-02-2023, 12:05 AM
:lmao

honestfool84
07-02-2023, 12:08 AM

Are we not not watching the same Spurs team who in the last 20 years have had the highest winning percentage of ANY team sport?

And we have one horrendous season and land a generational type player as Wemby, and fans are still spoiled.

Geez, take a chill pill man.

sfernald
07-02-2023, 12:16 AM
The one thing I’ll say about Lillard and I said this on another forum but it probably fits here to.

Well, he’s a top 10 player in my estimation. That’s the kind of player who can bring you championships. He’s the player that everyone covets. We have one of those already. With two, we might become real title contenders overnight.

In other words, he’s exactly the kind of player we collect all these assets for. His age just makes him the best he can possibly be and more desperate than you can possibly imagine. We need one of those actually. We need someone to lead us who just can’t possibly wait one more second to get a championship.

I think he could be the leader to Wemby that Robinson was to Duncan. Who immediately leads and focuses the team in the right direction simply because of his age and need to win it all now or never. That is the attitude you have to take and Lillard might have the talent and will to show Wemby what is required.

EricB
07-02-2023, 12:38 AM
We really missed the chance to pay Dillon Brooks $80 million.

Keep caping for billionaires

EricB
07-02-2023, 12:39 AM
Are we not not watching the same Spurs team who in the last 20 years have had the highest winning percentage of ANY team sport?

And we have one horrendous season and land a generational type player as Wemby, and fans are still spoiled.

Geez, take a chill pill man.

the championship teams are in the past. It’s been 9 years since they won a ring

they’ve had shit teams going on 5 years now,

miss me with this loser ass mentality

offset formation
07-02-2023, 01:27 AM

This is really the main issue. Fine PATFO, you want to run it back with a 22 win team with your new shiny toy to see what you have together, but it's also just weak to not take advantage of your huge salary cap room and make some offers on players that'll better your team.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 01:27 AM
TPark is the Jim Cramer of basketball. If he says it's a disaster, there is reason to hope. :lol

TekXX
07-02-2023, 01:33 AM
This is really the main issue. Fine PATFO, you want to run it back with a 22 win team with your new shiny toy to see what you have together, but it's also just weak to not take advantage of your huge salary cap room and make some offers on players that'll better your team.

LOL everyone thought our cap room meant we were gonna sign someone, nope still tanking, no need for improvement.

scott
07-02-2023, 01:33 AM
What the Spurs are doing now is fine.

If the Spurs went after Lillard or Herro or Reaves, it would have been fine.

Lots of ways to build from here, which is kind of the beauty of how the Spurs have set themselves up. It's all just which flavor of ice cream you prefer from this point.

rankingtear
07-02-2023, 01:56 AM
Punting Wemby rookie year won't matter. Health and Dame trades are the only thing that could make this rebuild fail. I hope FO does not try to be a dumbass and try to get good too fast. They can't erase a Dame type mistake even with the 100 second rounders they have.

Uriel
07-02-2023, 02:26 AM
Count me in the camp of saying thanks, but no thanks.

Dame is a great player, but acquiring him now when he’s on a long-term, expensive contract and on the wrong side of 30 and would take minutes away from our young players in an effort to win now seems like the kind of “big, costly” mistake that this front office is seeking to avoid.

Fireball
07-02-2023, 03:08 AM
I also have no interest that the Spurs sign Lillard. One big veteran signing (with a 2 year contract) would have been great just to get some experience into the locker room. Overall it looks like the Spurs will be in the next lottery again because I do not think Wemby alone will turn around this ship immediately. Hopefully he does enough to win RoY, then has enough upside to take MIP a year later ... and then the Spurs will probably be an much more interesting destination for veterans.

Proxy
07-02-2023, 03:33 AM
Love Dame, but rather hit the cap floor and run it with the current guys for two years, then go from there. Hopefully Miami can get him without giving up too many of their blue collar dudes

Uriel
07-02-2023, 04:36 AM

exstatic
07-02-2023, 06:04 AM
LOL everyone thought our cap room meant we were gonna sign someone, nope still tanking, no need for improvement.

I didn’t. Spurs said “We’re going to run it back for a year to see who/what works with Wemby”, and I believed them.

Big Empty
07-02-2023, 06:17 AM
I think if we’re still struggling to win games with our current situation, we’re gonna get a little aggressive at the trade deadline

ambchang
07-02-2023, 06:49 AM
It’s really a mystery why any young team with no title aspirations would want Lillard with that contract. The spurs will have zero flexibility if they get Lillard. That treasure trove of frp will be severely depleted to trade for Lillard and if he doesn’t work out (injuries, fit, just not good enough) then no team will give up anything that can help with the spurs taking a step to improve.

It will be four years of mediocrity with hands tied and no where to go if we get Lillard.

I’m still in the camp of waiting for doncic to be fed up with the Mavs, then the spurs can trade their FRPs for him when he demands a trade. That’s gonna be in the next two years.

slick'81
07-02-2023, 08:00 AM
I didn’t. Spurs said “We’re going to run it back for a year to see who/what works with Wemby”, and I believed them.

nobody actually did

LeBowen
07-02-2023, 08:02 AM
nobody actually did

Everyone who's a long time fan should've.

Spurs don't make big moves. Happens like once per decade. And this wasn't the summer to make a big move.

tesseractive
07-02-2023, 08:04 AM
Given that he's not a free agent and he doesn't have a no-trade clause, what does it even matter?

Also, anyone else think it's hilarious that he demanded to be traded from a team being rebuilt with youngsters and is fascinated by... a team being rebuilt with youngsters?

slick'81
07-02-2023, 08:05 AM
Given that he's not a free agent and he doesn't have a no-trade clause, what does it even matter?

Also, anyone else think it's hilarious that he demanded to be traded from a team being rebuilt with youngsters and is fascinated by... a team being rebuilt with youngsters?

he can play with another franchise player here

baseline bum
07-02-2023, 08:31 AM

Where do you think those rings came from? From being shitty in 1986-87 and winning the draft lottery for David then being shitty in 1996-97 and winning the draft lottery for Tim.

Ice009
07-02-2023, 08:49 AM
Lots of positives in trying to improve the team while not having to give up a ton of assets like they can with Lillard.

but the team needs more than one year of evaluating talent. “We have to see how these guys play” these same shit we were fed for last year why they had to blow it up.

they get lucky, get the generational talent now again “oh we can’t Ty to win yet, we have to keep evaluating cause we can do that shit anymore”

I don’t have to accept being fed bullshit about not wanting to win. You want to just get by sell tickets thanks to Wembenyama and play under the luxuaey tax? At least be fucking honest about instead of this bullshit of “oh we’re too young to try. We can’t possibly ADD and TRY!!!”

Once they made it acceptable to accept losing around here everyone is A Ok with it now.

Darn, man. I thought you were a big supporter of the front office? Are you genuinely pissed off with the moves they've made since getting the number 1 pick?

I'm actually OK with it for once as this free agent class really sucked. Maybe I was interested in Austin Reaves and Brook Lopez, but not many others stood out to me to make a hard push for.

I'll ask again to anyone that can answer, if the Spurs had of put in an offer to Austin Reaves, could they have front loaded it so the last two years aren't too big to still allow them to sign someone in the 2025 FA class? If so, I think they should have taken a gamble.

buttsR4rebounding
07-02-2023, 09:45 AM

I have the answer for you.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/

buttsR4rebounding
07-02-2023, 09:50 AM
he can play with another franchise player here

What about Scoot?

Extra Stout
07-02-2023, 10:07 AM
I'll ask again to anyone that can answer, if the Spurs had of put in an offer to Austin Reaves, could they have front loaded it so the last two years aren't too big to still allow them to sign someone in the 2025 FA class? If so, I think they should have taken a gamble.
No. The offer would have fallen under the “Arenas rule.” The actual salary would have been backloaded so that the Lakers would have had room to match if they so chose, but the cap hit would have been equal all four years.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 10:24 AM
The question isn't whether the Spurs should take on Lillard. He's going to Miami by hook or by crook.

The question is whether the Spurs should take on Herro.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 10:39 AM
The question isn't whether the Spurs should take on Lillard. He's going to Miami by hook or by crook.

The question is whether the Spurs should take on Herro.

That's a much tougher question tbh...

ace3g
07-02-2023, 10:48 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1400649755458359305/U4fKPF7C_normal.jpg
Evan Sidery @esidery
(https://twitter.com/esidery)4m (https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1675530686642438144)
The Trail Blazers do not plan to cooperate with Damian Lillard on his trade request to the Heat, per @wojespn (https://twitter.com/wojespn/):- Portland “open for business everywhere in the league” on trading Lillard.- Blazers seeking a combination of young players, draft picks and cap relief.- Miami has… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… (https://t.co/0EfdzfHrbl)

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 11:01 AM

To be fair, the Spurs have need at his position. If you actually believed his bullshit about Spurs and Culture and Team like every other player who really just wants to go to Miami, San Antonio is a better fit than Portland.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 11:02 AM
What about Scoot?
There is a logjam of guards in Portland, is there not?

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 11:04 AM
I think if we’re still struggling to win games with our current situation, we’re gonna get a little aggressive at the trade deadline
If it looks like they are one piece away, that would be an excellent strategy.

CGD
07-02-2023, 11:06 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1400649755458359305/U4fKPF7C_normal.jpg
Evan Sidery @esidery
(https://twitter.com/esidery)4m (https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1675530686642438144)
The Trail Blazers do not plan to cooperate with Damian Lillard on his trade request to the Heat, per @wojespn (https://twitter.com/wojespn/):- Portland “open for business everywhere in the league” on trading Lillard.- Blazers seeking a combination of young players, draft picks and cap relief.- Miami has… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… (https://t.co/0EfdzfHrbl)

Damn, that meeting must have gone poorly. Or, POR finally has its pretext while not looking like the “bad guys.”

Dejounte
07-02-2023, 11:07 AM
Again, if the only loss here is Vassell and one or two FRPs, you do this trade every day.

CGD
07-02-2023, 11:11 AM
Again, if the only loss here is Vassell and one or two FRPs, you do this trade every day.

I’d have to think about it hard if it’s Keldon + Filler + and two FRPs (especially if we keep one of the ATL ones).

But I’d still lean no honestly.

John B
07-02-2023, 11:20 AM

I think the right term is “tweak” by trade deadline, continuing the development onto the next season. Pop will assess what players need to compliment best to maximize Wemby’s game likewise the whole team, and make the necessary moves. Right now is too early to make those BIG moves (big costly mistakes). It’s prudent to get Wemby’s feet wet and slowly transition him without the high risk of injury. The Spurs have arsenals of future FRP and SRP’s plus assets. I seriously think PATFO will pull the trigger on a big move (if any) when the time comes.

slick'81
07-02-2023, 11:22 AM
Trust the process

sfernald
07-02-2023, 11:24 AM
I’d have to think about it hard if it’s Keldon + Filler + and two FRPs (especially if we keep one of the ATL ones).

But I’d still lean no honestly.

It's gonna be way more than 2 firsts. Damian has like 4 years left on his contract. And that contract is already starting to not look so bad after the contracts signed yesterday.

lefty20
07-02-2023, 11:24 AM

Would the Blazers even want Vassell? He is due for a bigger salary next year and the Blazers just committed a 100 mil to Simons last year, and are super high on Sharpe. It would appear that they are set at the Wing spots.

If I were the GM, I'd try to max out unprotected picks/swaps rather than focusing on any particular players. Of course, you want to avoid taking back bloated contracts with more than 2 yrs left on em.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't trade Vassell for Lillard unless they were the same age.

Dejounte
07-02-2023, 11:26 AM
Would the Blazers even want Vassell? He is due for a bigger salary next year and the Blazers just committed a 100 mil to Simons last year, and are super high on Sharpe. It would appear that they are set at the Wing spots.

If I were the GM, I'd try to max out unprotected picks/swaps rather than focusing on any particular players. Of course, you want to avoid taking back bloated contracts with more than 2 yrs left on em.

Would the Rockets even want Vanvleet? They’ve already drafted Amen Thompson, they are high on KPJ, Jalen Green needs the ball, etc…

never trust these orgs to make sense in any of their moves.

Spurs Homer
07-02-2023, 11:29 AM
The big three of
timmy,manu, parker…

was a solid big who excelled at defense , could score,distribute, draw mismatches and competed fiercely
a scoring guard who could get into the paint at will, draw fouls, and carry the team at times…
a combo guard who could do unorthodox things, create turnovers, steals, lead breaks, competed fiercely, etc…

hmmmm

If you squint a little you could see…Lillard, Wemby & Sochan….

R. DeMurre
07-02-2023, 11:33 AM
I know the whole "loyalty" topic has been front and center with the Lillard/Portland situation, but Miami simply doesn't have as much to offer as some other teams at this point. If Portland takes an inferior offer just to look like the Good Guys, I think it'd be a mistake for a team desperately in need of help. The Dame/Nurkic pairing reminds me a lot of the Westbrook/Adams pairing in that it was unlikely to bring a championship, but the supposed advanced-stats-savvy/moneyballing front offices kept them together long enough for their value to go down. I'm much more a fan of what Ainge has done in Utah: he had two stars who didn't get along, and everybody thought he needed to decide which one to build around and which to trade. But he looked and saw a Center with no offensive game, and a 6'2" SG who wasn't a defender and decided to trade both of them at peak value, getting back some good players and a bunch of future assets.

Dejounte
07-02-2023, 11:33 AM
The big three of
timmy,manu, parker…

was a solid big who excelled at defense , could score,distribute, draw mismatches and competed fiercely
a scoring guard who could get into the paint at will, draw fouls, and carry the team at times…
a combo guard who could do unorthodox things, create turnovers, steals, lead breaks, competed fiercely, etc…

hmmmm

If you squint a little you could see…Lillard, Wemby & Sochan….

Lillard can be the “1st gen” team up for Wemby… it could be similar to the gap between DRob and Timmy. Lillard can help be an everyday guide to Wemby and show him the ropes on how to handle stardom in the NBA.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 11:34 AM
Would the Rockets even want Vanvleet? They’ve already drafted Amen Thompson, they are high on KPJ, Jalen Green needs the ball, etc…

never trust these orgs to make sense in any of their moves.
The Spurs are like someone who checks their shopping list before going out.

The Rockets look like someone who checks their credit limit before going out.

sfernald
07-02-2023, 11:36 AM

Here's what I think a potential trade would look like. This one would include us taking Nurkic as well and sending out KJ and sending 5 firsts and 5 seconds.

https://i.postimg.cc/8CTp7S8s/Screenshot-2023-07-02-at-9-34-37-AM.png

LeBowen
07-02-2023, 11:40 AM
Here's what I think a potential trade would look like. This one would include us taking Nurkic as well and sending out KJ and sending 5 firsts and 5 seconds.

Hell no to that offer.

I wouldn't do more than 3 firsts, especially if Keldon is also in the deal. He's 33 and even 3 firsts and Keldon would be a way better offer than anything else they get.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 11:40 AM

But why????

Nurkic is a salary dump for them anyway, so they should pay for him.

And nobody can offer many picks for Lillard so why are you just throwing the farm??

Dejounte
07-02-2023, 11:41 AM

This is nowhere close to reality tbh. This is just the Spurs outbidding themselves. No other team would even offer that.

slick'81
07-02-2023, 11:42 AM

:lobt2:

JPB
07-02-2023, 11:43 AM
Spurs are not gonna trade for Lillard. They're focused on an entirely different horizon, a bigger picture and they're right about that. That's the right way to do, don't let the big shiny hotels and casinos drag you away from the main road and destination.

MultiTroll
^ oh hell no not all those 1st round picks.

sfernald
This is nowhere close to reality tbh. This is just the Spurs outbidding themselves. No other team would even offer that.

Yeah, 3 first and 3 seconds might do it. I just wanted to show you guys what might be the WORST case. We would still have first round picks every year going forward and still have an Atlanta pick. I'm not saying above is the trade. Just floating something out there. But I do want you to be prepared that four years of prime Lillard won't be cheap.

slick'81
07-02-2023, 11:44 AM
Spurs are not gonna trade for Lillard. They're focused on an entirely different horizon, a bigger picture and they're right about that. That's the right way to do, don't let the big shiny hotels and casinos drag you away from the main road and destination.

Thats what im saying

John B
07-02-2023, 11:46 AM
First it was Austin Powers… Reaves, now Damn Lilliard. Spurs are not trading Vassell. I’d buy it if and when Pop already assessed Wemby’s game, when he’s NBA strong, etc. When the moment is right, nobody is untouchable if what is best for the team (see DJM trade). Right now is too early in the game. Don’t spend all your tits money. The night is young. Somebody better will come along.

sfernald
07-02-2023, 11:48 AM
First it was Austin Powers… Reaves, now Damn Lilliard. Spurs are not trading Vassell. I’d buy it if and when Pop already assessed Wemby’s game, when he’s NBA strong, etc. When the moment is right, nobody is untouchable if what is best for the team (see DJM trade). Right now is too early in the game. Don’t spend all your tits money. The night is young. Somebody better will come along.

How many of those players will have Spurs on their list tho????

exstatic
07-02-2023, 11:48 AM
Damn, that meeting must have gone poorly. Or, POR finally has its pretext while not looking like the “bad guys.”

Dame’s timing was really fucked up. I’d be pissed off if I were them, too.

LeBowen
07-02-2023, 11:49 AM

If Wemby lives up to the hype, no star will be opposed to being traded to the Spurs.

sfernald
07-02-2023, 11:50 AM
Dame’s timing was really fucked up. I’d be pissed off if I were them, too.

I think the timing was very specific. He waited until his teammate Grant got paid. That's a pretty cool teammate actually.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 11:50 AM
You guys have a 19 year old phenom on your team and are casually discussing sending years and years of draft picks.

...for four years of Damien Lillard.

Four. Years. At the end of which he will be 37 and making 60 million dollars a year.

sfernald
07-02-2023, 11:51 AM
You guys have a 19 year old phenom on your team and are casually discussing sending years and years of draft picks.

...for four years of Damien Lillard.

Four. Years. At the end of which he will be 37 and making 60 million dollars a year.

60 Million won't even get you the next FVV contract in four years! And Wemby just got through making a big championship run in France. Why would he not want to be in the playoffs here day one!! If we want to keep him, we need to bring a perennial contender and not wait four years to get there.

Dejounte
07-02-2023, 11:51 AM

Exactly. A lot of people opposed to the idea are suggesting we’d give up the farm or that we’d mess up some grand plan. Giving up Vassell and a first round pick or two is so low risk that it doesn’t change much for their long term plans.

sfernald
07-02-2023, 11:54 AM
Exactly. A lot of people opposed to the idea are suggesting we’d give up the farm or that we’d mess up some grand plan. Giving up Vassell and a first round pick or two is so low risk that it doesn’t change much for their long term plans.

Exactly even my shitty worst case trade above really isn't high risk. Most all important players are retained and we still have draft picks for days.

John B
07-02-2023, 11:59 AM

We heard it all before. And yup if Wemby lives up to his potential, they will come (Field of Dreams :lol).

A lot of ST posters need to lay-off their coffee. Chill and trust the process :bobo

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 12:01 PM
60 Million won't even get you the next FVV contract in four years! And Wemby just got through making a big championship run in France. Why would he not want to be in the playoffs here day one!! If we want to keep him, we need to bring a perennial contender and not wait four years to get there.
So you're willing to sacrifice as much as five years of draft picks for a guy who is going to be declining as your young core just starts getting good? Right as your superstar is ready to sign his first extension? That makes no sense to me. All you are showing Victor with that move is that the future isn't important. That's the quickest way to see him sign elsewhere.

sfernald
07-02-2023, 12:03 PM
So you're willing to sacrifice as much as five years of draft picks for a guy who is going to be declining as your young core just starts getting good? Right as your superstar is ready to sign his first extension? That makes no sense to me. All you are showing Victor with that move is that the future isn't important. That's the quickest way to see him sign elsewhere.

The goal is that they have won a championship at some point within those five years. Then the team will in such regard that stars will be clamoring to join Wemby and replace the aging Lillard.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 12:06 PM
First order of thinking: What would we give up, now, to get Damian Lillard? A current player, draft picks.

Second order of thinking: What are the potential consequences not seen by first order thinking? Lillard on the decline, paying Lillard $60 million in years three and four, missing out on Vassell's development, missing out on those draft picks, not being able to use the money for other players, possibly having to use assets to move Lillard if he's done/does not fit

First order thinking accounts for only the immediate costs and benefits. This is where bad GMs live. Second order thinking is where well-run organizations live. First order thinking is important, but second order thinking is absolutely vital.

R. DeMurre
07-02-2023, 12:06 PM
The idea that a big time player in a non-glamorous city is a lure for free agents is mostly mythological. That didn't work with Robinson, and it didn't work with Duncan. Granted, you probably only need it to work once, but it's not as likely to happen as many believe.

exstatic
07-02-2023, 12:10 PM
The goal is that they have won a championship at some point within those five years. Then the team will in such regard that stars will be clamoring to join Wemby and replace the aging Lillard.

The goal is to semi-regularly win a championship over a period of time like we did from 99-14. Doing what it takes to get Dame takes a blowtorch to that.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 12:10 PM

Within what five years? Lillard is gone in four. You gave up five years of first round picks plus Devin Vassell. The only thing more questionable than thinking they win a title in the two years before Dame blows an Achilles is thinking San Antonio becomes a free agent destination to recoup all your lost talent with ring chasers.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 12:14 PM
The only reason to want Lillard is if you think he can win you a title.

The only way you think Lillard can win you a title is if you think the current Spurs are a playoff team.

If you don't think the latter, don't wish for the former.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 12:20 PM

Lillard is good for maybe two more years. Let's be optimistic and say he's good for all four, if declining.

The team isn't going to be ready for a deep playoff run immediately. Hell, they don't even know how to close out regular season games, or stop runs or any number of intermediary things. It'll take a playoff or two after that to know how to beat teams there. So by the time they're ready to go, Damian Lillard, who has only had modest playoff success and years ago, will be sharply declining.

And we've then sold off tons of draft picks and are stick stuck paying the guy.

Anyway -- we all know the Spurs aren't trading for Damian Lillard. Again, the question is whether the Spurs want Tyler Herro.

Dex
07-02-2023, 12:23 PM
To be fair, the Spurs have need at his position. If you actually believed his bullshit about Spurs and Culture and Team like every other player who really just wants to go to Miami, San Antonio is a better fit than Portland.

Imagine Dame stretching the floor to 35-feet out, and Wemby inside.

I still don't see it happening, but...man, that would be fun to watch.

Dejounte
07-02-2023, 12:23 PM

The only way you think Lillard can win you a title is if you think the current Spurs are a playoff team.

I’ve said this in the past: a team doesn’t have to be good from top to bottom. Only your top two or three does. Those players elevate everyone else and completely shift the outlook of the team.

and again, you are blowing things out of proportion with the “give up four or five picks”. I think you’re repeating that because that’s the only thing that justifies your position, which nearly everyone who is advocating for this has said that wouldn’t be the case.

TekXX
07-02-2023, 12:25 PM
We got to trap them thru the draft because we all know they don't want to come to SA, ooh but they have huge respect for pop, whatever good that gets us which is not much.

sfernald
07-02-2023, 12:29 PM
Lillard is good for maybe two more years. Let's be optimistic and say he's good for all four, if declining.

The team isn't going to be ready for a deep playoff run immediately. Hell, they don't even know how to close out regular season games, or stop runs or any number of intermediary things. It'll take a playoff or two after that to know how to beat teams there. So by the time they're ready to go, Damian Lillard, who has only had modest playoff success and years ago, will be sharply declining.

And we've then sold off tons of draft picks and are stick stuck paying the guy.

Anyway -- we all know the Spurs aren't trading for Damian Lillard. Again, the question is whether the Spurs want Tyler Herro.

I'm sure the chances of the Spurs getting him are small, but with the reports of what is coming out from the Rip City front office, the odds of the Heat getting him are probably even smaller since every GM in the league has slept on the idea of bringing Lillard aboard last night and there's just no way the Heat can generate a competitive offer to what is likely going to be put out there. Make no mistake, the offers will look much more like the Rudy Gobert offer than the Bradley Beal offer in this case.

TekXX
07-02-2023, 12:29 PM
I’ve said this in the past: a team doesn’t have to be good from top to bottom. Only your top two or three does. Those players elevate everyone else and completely shift the outlook of the team.

and again, you are blowing things out of proportion with the “give up four or five picks”. I think you’re repeating that because that’s the only thing that justifies your position, which nearly everyone who is advocating for this has said that wouldn’t be the case.

If you want to sign a free agent around here they'll say you want to be just like Houstin, there's no middle ground.

Manu20
07-02-2023, 12:30 PM
The Spurs at least have to entertain the idea of trading for Lillard. Do their due diligence and see what Portland is willing to take.

On the other hand I will be totally fine to see how Vassell and Johnson fit with Wemby tho.

Ariel
07-02-2023, 12:30 PM
The number isn't exactly known, but if young player + a few picks swaps were enough, likely there would be a trade in place already. At the moment Miami can offer 2 unprotected firsts ('28 & '30) + 2 unprotected swaps ('27 + '29... technically '24 as well, but it'd be a "fake" swap) + a couple recent draftees (Jaquez & Jovic) + Herro... I doubt an offer of the caliber you mention (young player + 1/2 pick/s) isn't already on the table yet nothing got done.

sfernald
07-02-2023, 12:31 PM
Within what five years? Lillard is gone in four. You gave up five years of first round picks plus Devin Vassell. The only thing more questionable than thinking they win a title in the two years before Dame blows an Achilles is thinking San Antonio becomes a free agent destination to recoup all your lost talent with ring chasers.

Keldon, not Vassell, which personally is a huge difference to me. I would not do the trade personally at all that way.

Tyronn Lue
07-02-2023, 12:32 PM

False dichotomy. There's plenty to be said for getting the best talent available to support your projected generational rookie.

lefty20
07-02-2023, 12:46 PM
The first and foremost reason why trading for Dame makes 0 sense rn is Wemby himself. Dude is still an unproven commodity. We don't really know exactly what we have in him atm and exactly how effective he will be out of the gates.

If Wemby comes outta the gate averaging 25/11/3/3, then yeah... you perhaps look to make a win-now trade in that scenario. But considering that he is only 19, I'd be willing to bet the house that he will not be doing this.

It just makes too much sense to remain in a holding pattern rn. We can always pivot at the trade deadline or next off-season if Wemby happens to hit the ground running.

exstatic
07-02-2023, 01:17 PM
False dichotomy. There's plenty to be said for getting the best talent available to support your projected generational rookie.

Disagree. If you’re paying THAT salary, and THAT cost to acquire, you’d better be fucking ringing, and more than once.

Dverde
07-02-2023, 01:44 PM
Maybe this will kill some of this BS Heat culture. Shipping a home grown player for a ring chaser, two FA leaving for other teams, tampering with other teams players, overpaying Robinson, Herro, and Lowry.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 01:52 PM
Maybe this will kill some of this BS Heat culture. Shipping a home grown player for a ring chaser, two FA leaving for other teams, tampering with other teams players, overpaying Robinson, Herro, and Lowry.

Spoelstra us a genius coach. Riley is a good GM, even at times a great one, but his penchant for overpaying talent is bizarre.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 01:56 PM
Inanely reading tea leaves, I don't think the Spurs will get involved in the Lillard stuff. Nothing there for them. Herro could get routed to Brooklyn.

You'd think they'd be interested in absorbing a Mills for draft capital. Houston may not have wanted them involved. Or the Spurs feel the roster crunch, esp guards.

What is needed is clearly a big. Wild guess, since there are no good outright FA centers, is that they're waiting on the Harden Clippers situation, or simply the Clippers situation alone, feeling like one of Zubac or Plumlee will be on the move.

Dunno.

Mal
07-02-2023, 01:58 PM
God damn those supermax contract are something else. 37 yrs player for 63 milions and you would have to outbid other teams to do that.

I doubt Spurs would be ready while Lillard is still in prime, and when they are ready, their star player have 55mil cap hit at age of 36.

Hard pass if this is more than cap relief and couple 1st and 2nd package.

CGD
07-02-2023, 02:20 PM
It's gonna be way more than 2 firsts. Damian has like 4 years left on his contract. And that contract is already starting to not look so bad after the contracts signed yesterday.

So it’s a terrible contract and you want to add MORE than two FRPs? Not sure I follow

mo7888
07-02-2023, 02:22 PM
I've been away from the Lillard stuff today.... is Portland gonna end up with Ben Simmons? I get Brooklyn wanting Herro now if Simmons is going out instead of Spencer..

KobesAchilles
07-02-2023, 02:25 PM
Spurstalk at its finest. Tim Duncan in his prime couldn’t go deep with this shitty roster. Everyone is saying that we need to see how our team will fit with Wemby but any idiot can see that we don’t have a squad around him that fits.

Tre Jones doesn’t fit. He can’t shoot and teams will double off of him to attack Wemby. Wemby is turnover prone and definitely will be early due to adjusting to nba speed. Giving teams an easy way to get him off his game and not improving the PG play isn’t “smart GM’ing.” It’s actually the opposite

Vassell fits very well. He can shoot the ball. Pump fake and score off midrange and create for himself when the play goes bad. There’s zero part of Devin’s game that doesn’t fit with Wemby.

Collins fits very well. He will take the brunt of the bodying for Wemby in the paint. He will stretch the floor offensively and on defense he is tough enough to bang in the paint. Wemby will have to help out on the boards but that’s a big duh.

Sochan by default will have to move positions. He is no longer a starting PF. This might just be for 3 years until Wemby gets an NBA body. In which case he will slide back into the PF when Wemby inevitably becomes a center. Or it could be for the rest of his Spurs career. But he is now by all accounts a SF. For the people clamoring that he can run our offense and dribble the ball himself and create for others, guess what, SFs have been known to do that. See Bird, Pippen, Lebron. Now for this to happen, Sochan needs to learn how to shoot the ball. Luckily he is a gym rat. Unluckily, he is injured and I don’t really know how much you can develop your shot with a bum leg.

KJ doesn’t fit with the starters. Easy enough. He can be a 6th man. And the rest of our bench pretty much sucks.

Now with Lillard, we solve the PG problem. It won’t cost us “6 years of our own FRPs” to do it either. Probably 4 and even then they don’t have to be our own. We could do our own but something like our 24 pick, Chi FRP, and Atlanta pick, and a might do it. Lillard is an bonafide all nba player. He would immediately become our best player.

And to the 4 years from now doomsday predictors, at the very least, he will be able to shoot the 3ball the rest of his career. I doubt he will be a 30 ppg guy at age 37, but he will be 20 and 6 very easily. And tbh trading him won’t be the albatross you guys think it will be. Might cost us a protected first at the most.

Now my question is, if we get Dame, can we still outright sign a max free agent? Or do we have to trade for our 3rd star. Bc trading for a 3rd star might be pretty easy tbh. Trade for PG and offer him a 3 year max. Then You have Wemby, Lillard, PG, Sochan, and Collins, plus whatever bench we can piece together.

CGD
07-02-2023, 02:26 PM
Just let Utah take a run at him. Sounds like they’re kicking the tires. Also, I always forget his alma mater, Weber State, is in Utah.

Mal
07-02-2023, 02:38 PM
The more I think, Spurs could fit this 63 mil cap hit, since KJ and Wemby would be 32 mil cap hit combined. So three starters for 100 mil is not that bad. Just trade have to be reasonable and do not include Sochan, Vessell and KJ

exstatic
07-02-2023, 02:49 PM
The more I think, Spurs could fit this 63 mil cap hit, since KJ and Wemby would be 32 mil cap hit combined. So three starters for 100 mil is not that bad. Just trade have to be reasonable and do not include Sochan, Vessell and KJ

They want the trading team to eat Nrkic’s deal, too. Another $20M per year. Absolute NOPE.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 02:52 PM
They want the trading team to eat Nrkic’s deal, too. Another $20M per year. Absolute NOPE.

For Brooklyn that might make sense if they are sending Simmons to Portland...but it makes no sense here..

Mal
07-02-2023, 02:57 PM

Still doable, but no way the Spurs add 3-5 frp to that. But Lillard, Nurkic for 2x1st, Birch and 5x2nds ?

mo7888
07-02-2023, 02:59 PM
Still doable, but no way the Spurs add 3-5 frp to that. But Lillard, Nurkic for 2x1st, Birch and 5x2nds ?

Definitely not...

Mal
07-02-2023, 03:10 PM
Definitely not...

Too much or bad fit ?

sfernald
07-02-2023, 03:12 PM
I love seeing everyone’s asses collectively bunch up tighter than the pickle jar lid when we talk about big trades on here lol.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 03:13 PM
Too much or bad fit ?

Both really to a degree.... cost is moreso the problem though...

DPG21920
07-02-2023, 03:16 PM
I really dont want Herro :cry Hoping SA doesn’t do it….

If they get him for “free” by simply absorbing him maybe I can stomach it. Maybe. But I prefer not to

TimDunkem
07-02-2023, 03:17 PM
Spurstalk at its finest. Tim Duncan in his prime couldn’t go deep with this shitty roster. Everyone is saying that we need to see how our team will fit with Wemby but any idiot can see that we don’t have a squad around him that fits.

Tre Jones doesn’t fit. He can’t shoot and teams will double off of him to attack Wemby. Wemby is turnover prone and definitely will be early due to adjusting to nba speed. Giving teams an easy way to get him off his game and not improving the PG play isn’t “smart GM’ing.” It’s actually the opposite

Vassell fits very well. He can shoot the ball. Pump fake and score off midrange and create for himself when the play goes bad. There’s zero part of Devin’s game that doesn’t fit with Wemby.

Collins fits very well. He will take the brunt of the bodying for Wemby in the paint. He will stretch the floor offensively and on defense he is tough enough to bang in the paint. Wemby will have to help out on the boards but that’s a big duh.

Sochan by default will have to move positions. He is no longer a starting PF. This might just be for 3 years until Wemby gets an NBA body. In which case he will slide back into the PF when Wemby inevitably becomes a center. Or it could be for the rest of his Spurs career. But he is now by all accounts a SF. For the people clamoring that he can run our offense and dribble the ball himself and create for others, guess what, SFs have been known to do that. See Bird, Pippen, Lebron. Now for this to happen, Sochan needs to learn how to shoot the ball. Luckily he is a gym rat. Unluckily, he is injured and I don’t really know how much you can develop your shot with a bum leg.

KJ doesn’t fit with the starters. Easy enough. He can be a 6th man. And the rest of our bench pretty much sucks.

Now with Lillard, we solve the PG problem. It won’t cost us “6 years of our own FRPs” to do it either. Probably 4 and even then they don’t have to be our own. We could do our own but something like our 24 pick, Chi FRP, and Atlanta pick, and a might do it. Lillard is an bonafide all nba player. He would immediately become our best player.

And to the 4 years from now doomsday predictors, at the very least, he will be able to shoot the 3ball the rest of his career. I doubt he will be a 30 ppg guy at age 37, but he will be 20 and 6 very easily. And tbh trading him won’t be the albatross you guys think it will be. Might cost us a protected first at the most.

Now my question is, if we get Dame, can we still outright sign a max free agent? Or do we have to trade for our 3rd star. Bc trading for a 3rd star might be pretty easy tbh. Trade for PG and offer him a 3 year max. Then You have Wemby, Lillard, PG, Sochan, and Collins, plus whatever bench we can piece together.
Thanks for the hard to swallow pill. Right on the money, imho.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 03:18 PM
I really dont want Herro :cry Hoping SA doesn’t do it….

If they get him for “free” by simply absorbing him maybe I can stomach it. Maybe. But I prefer not to

I think we shpuld let Brooklyn get him and unload Simmons to Portland in the process..

exstatic
07-02-2023, 03:32 PM
I love seeing everyone’s asses collectively bunch up tighter than the pickle jar lid when we talk about big trades on here lol.

I would throw our entire pick bag,all of it, at Milwaukee or Dallas for Giannis or Doncic, and pay whatever they’re making. Not afraid of a big trade, but it has to be the right one.

Dejounte
07-02-2023, 03:33 PM
https://twitter.com/mammalii7/status/1675557623901429760?s=46

John B
07-02-2023, 03:36 PM
I would throw our entire pick bag,all of it, at Milwaukee or Dallas for Giannis or Doncic, and pay whatever they’re making. Not afraid of a big trade, but it has to be the right one.

That might just happen with Luka soon after another run with Kyrie... hoping.

Cardinal
07-02-2023, 03:38 PM
Just spitballing: does a package of branham, Wesley, and 2-3 firsts get it done?

John B
07-02-2023, 03:39 PM
https://twitter.com/mammalii7/status/1675557623901429760?s=46

KJ played with Dame at the Olympics. He's probably hoping for the Spurs to get in the mix.

Dejounte
07-02-2023, 03:40 PM
Just spitballing: does a package of branham, Wesley, and 2-3 firsts get it done?

Likely not. A trade of this magnitude requires names that are more publicly known so when PR comes for the Blazers, it will be easy to explain. Vassell and/or KJ are the premier names from the Spurs. Swap them with Branham and Wesley and that’s the type of deal that gets it done. IMO, it will only need Vassell. I don’t think KJ will net him by himself.

DPG21920
07-02-2023, 03:41 PM
I think we shpuld let Brooklyn get him and unload Simmons to Portland in the process..

Im good with that. I will take Simmons on for one of those PHX unprotected picks tbh..

jeebus
07-02-2023, 03:41 PM
Man there are some /r/nbaspurs level takes in here.

Extra Stout
07-02-2023, 03:43 PM
I’d love to have Luka, but Mav fans would burn down the AAC if the Mavs traded him to San Antonio.

BatManu20
07-02-2023, 03:52 PM
Been seeing some Twitter noise regarding Dame to Toronto for Scottie Barnes + draft picks. Just the kind of splash Masai loves to make tbh. Doubt it happens, but would suck for our pick next year.

K...
07-02-2023, 04:06 PM
i think portland will gouge us because they know what we got with picks and will demand an absurd amount. spurs will need to wait for Lillard to really turn the screws to get a deal and will probably get outbid before that.

We really don't know if the holt and wright era is disciplined to avoid a bad trade but with pop returning they will probably hold out unless pop really loves lillard.

WE have no idea how close they are to Luka, but i would not be mad if the MAVS got kawhi leonarded .

Wemby needs acclimatation (sochan as well) to the true NBA skill : getting players to collude to create superteams.

BackHome
07-02-2023, 04:14 PM
All Dame has to say is "I am only playing for X, XX, XXX team - if your not on the list do you really want to waste all your draft picks on a guy who doesn't want to be there? I honestly think Dame has told management he will only play for 3 teams and he will not play for any other team - Now Portland will get a little more now that they adding New York or maybe Nets ...

K...
07-02-2023, 04:19 PM
All Dame has to say is "I am only playing for X, XX, XXX team - if your not on the list do you really want to waste all your draft picks on a guy who doesn't want to be there?

he did that an said miami and portland have called his bluff. He needs to pull a kwahi now

exstatic
07-02-2023, 04:24 PM
All Dame has to say is "I am only playing for X, XX, XXX team - if your not on the list do you really want to waste all your draft picks on a guy who doesn't want to be there? I honestly think Dame has told management he will only play for 3 teams and he will not play for any other team - Now Portland will get a little more now that they adding New York or maybe Nets ...

He’s got four years left on that awful contract. He has to go where they send him.

Dex
07-02-2023, 04:26 PM
he did that an said miami and portland have called his bluff. He needs to pull a kwahi now

Problem is that Kawhi only had one year left on his deal. Lillard has two.

Dude can sit there and say "I want Miami" all he wants, but Portland has no obligation to take a shitty deal to keep him happy and Dame will be stuck wherever he goes unless he wants to sit out 2 seasons ad miss $100M

exstatic
07-02-2023, 04:37 PM
Problem is that Kawhi only had one year left on his deal. Lillard has two.

Dude can sit there and say "I want Miami" all he wants, but Portland has no obligation to take a shitty deal to keep him happy and Dame will be stuck wherever he goes unless he wants to sit out 2 seasons ad miss $100M

Four years left on his deal.

baseline bum
07-02-2023, 04:39 PM
I'll take him if Portland just has to give him away like the Spurs had to give Leonard away. But the Atlanta picks, the Spurs 2025 pick (eg the Atlanta swap), and the Spurs 2028 pick (the Boston swap) are off the market here. Wouldn't give Sochan either, nor probably Vassell. If Portland gets forced to accept something like Keldon, the Charlotte pick, the Chicago pick, and change then I'd probably take Dame despite that contract.

Dex
07-02-2023, 04:48 PM
Four years left on his deal.

Damn you right, Spotrac didn't make it obvious

Yeah, dude has zero leverage here to demand anything other than hoping Portland does him favors for his "loyalty"

baseline bum
07-02-2023, 04:51 PM
Damn you right, Spotrac didn't make it obvious

Yeah, dude has zero leverage here to demand anything other than hoping Portland does him favors for his "loyalty"

LOL loyalty. Love seeing second rate stars like Lillard and third rate stars like Beal talking loyalty to their teams when it's really loyalty to that cash money when they're paid like first rate stars.

tonight...you
07-02-2023, 05:03 PM
Cuban will do every single thing in his power to keep Luka till he retires.
Even if it means strong-arming him and hold zero regard to Luka's wishes.

Cuban's like that.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 05:07 PM
Imagine Dame stretching the floor to 35-feet out, and Wemby inside.

I still don't see it happening, but...man, that would be fun to watch.

Oh absolutely. I mentioned the idea several days ago and was convinced that his salary and age were deal killers.

Mal
07-02-2023, 05:13 PM
Oh absolutely. I mentioned the idea several days ago and was convinced that his salary and age were deal killers.

Age sure, but if you add that Wemby is on rookie deal through all 4 years Dame has left on the deal, you can swallow that deal and make it work. As long as Johson and his below market deal is not part of trade package

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 05:14 PM

Cuban's like that.
Not sure how you think he could do that.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 05:18 PM
Age sure, but if you add that Wemby is on rookie deal through all 4 years Dame has left on the deal, you can swallow that deal and make it work. As long as Johson and his below market deal is not part of trade package
Just because you can maybe afford it doesn't make it the best deal available over the next 48 months. At some point an actual superstar who is young might become available. There aren't really any basketball reasons to sacrifice that flexibility.

tonight...you
07-02-2023, 05:27 PM
Not sure how you think he could do that.
Doesn't matter how I think what I think.
What matters is how Cuban thinks what he thinks.

Full money grabs, no trades despite demands, trying to do what Luka wants...

I will be beyond shocked if Luka leaves the Mavs.
Not from him wanting to do what he wants, but from playing under an owner that's going to keep him no matter what.

Luka will need to sacrifice big bucks to walk away.

JMO

mo7888
07-02-2023, 05:30 PM

Not from him wanting to do what he wants, but from playing under an owner that's going to keep him no matter what.

JMO

Cuban doesn't have the power to keep an ufa when his contract is up...no owner does

tonight...you
07-02-2023, 05:36 PM
Cuban doesn't have the power to keep an ufa when his contract is up...no owner does
You're right, but like I said:

That is it and that is all.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 05:39 PM

JMO
Actually it does matter how you think what you think. What you are suggesting is impossible. If Luka is at the end of his contract and wants to leave, all Mark Cuban can do is make handicapped faces about it.

tonight...you
07-02-2023, 05:42 PM
Actually it does matter how you think what you think. What you are suggesting is impossible. If Luka is at the end of his contract and wants to leave, all Mark Cuban can do is make handicapped faces about it.
Cuban also has his bird rights and access to more money than anyone else as far as a Luka Contract goes.

I really don't want to keep repeating myself, but...

If Luka wants to go no matter what, he's walking away from a lot of money because Cuban is not going to make him happy in that regard.

BackHome
07-02-2023, 05:54 PM
He’s got four years left on that awful contract. He has to go where they send him.

Yeah, but would you want a player basically telling you he doesn't want to play for your team or be in your city?

Oh, who won the bet? The one about changing Username?

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 05:57 PM
Cuban also has his bird rights and access to more money than anyone else as far as a Luka Contract goes.

I really don't want to keep repeating myself, but...

If Luka wants to go no matter what, he's walking away from a lot of money because Cuban is not going to make him happy in that regard.
All Cuban can do is be so awful that Luka walks away from a supermax. He is young enough that he will get another shot with his second team.

If Luka only cares about money, he will just get fat and stay in Dallas.

K...
07-02-2023, 06:00 PM
yeah lebron lost out on so much when he left cleveland and miami, durant lost so much, kawhi lost so much. These all time players know that winning a championship is vital for their long term career. They do what they need to do.nothing is going to better for current stars careers than teaming with giannis, jokic, and wemby.

sfernald
07-02-2023, 06:03 PM
https://theathletic.com/4659031/2023/07/02/2023-nba-free-agency-day-2-grades?source=user-shared-article

So interesting Athletic article. Basically it talks about how badly the blazers current front office mismanaged their assets to get to this point. They lost trade after trade after trade and depleted their roster. It suggests they should try very hard to take mostly draft capital in the Lillard trade since drafting is literally the only thing they are good at.

So right up our alley!

PhantomDashCam
07-02-2023, 07:07 PM
Not throwing shade but do people realize that Dame is almost 3 years younger than Steph Curry and arguably has less miles on the odometer?
He's not the same caliber of player obviously (though you can talk about comparability), but he's closer to giving you four years of Max type production than dropping off after two...

I love Vassell but if it's him and two to three future firsts and a seconds package, and you believe in the overall potential of the team and its rise to prominence quickly; Spurs definitely need to look at this.

Dejounte
07-02-2023, 07:10 PM
Not throwing shade but do people realize that Dame is almost 3 years younger than Steph Curry and arguably has less miles on the odometer?
He's not the same caliber of player obviously (though you can talk about comparability), but he's closer to giving you four years of Max type production than dropping off after two...

I love Vassell but if it's him and two to three future firsts and a seconds package, and you believe in the overall potential of the team and its rise to prominence quickly; Spurs definitely need to look at this.

nope, the perfect star will come by. Just need to keep praying for it.

BatManu20
07-02-2023, 07:40 PM

The Truth #6
07-02-2023, 08:00 PM
Unpopular opinion: maybe Dame actually isn’t a winning player? I thought he got exposed in the Olympics and don’t see Pop prioritizing him, imo, rightfully so.

Also: Heat Culture. How can it can it simultaneously mean showy superstars and no name undrafted grinders? Seems like bullshit.

(Steps off soapbox…)

spurraider21
07-02-2023, 08:03 PM
If you want to treat the game as a business and demand max after max, nobody’s stopping you. But then the team has the moral right to treat it like a business too.

objective
07-02-2023, 08:03 PM
I don't expect there to ever be a trade for Lillard. Even if he was open to it, Portland management has proven themselves morons and will take back a worse deal than they could with the Spurs because they're buffoons who think Jerami Grant is worth a billion dollars.

However, this is a discussion forum so ...

The more I think about a lillard trade the more I warm up to it if it's dead salary plus picks. That doesn't fit the alleged desire for 'young players plus picks" in return but it is what it is.

I guess I see the first year as a 'free year", meaning the cap room they have now (25mil); Graham and Birch is perfectly fitted to Lillard's salary, so I don't think there's some outrageous cost there, Spurs weren't going to be doing much with that money anyway

I think I would like a deal of Graham & Birch plus 1sts and 2nds. Spurs 24 lottery protected for 2 years that converts to seconds, the Toronto pick, the Charlotte pick, the Bulls pick and I say give them the 25 Atlanta pick work. Plus 5 seconds. 5 potential firsts and 5 seconds seems fair to me.

I'm sure everyone will see it as an overpay but I don't think so. Spurs have too many picks for the roster. They just bailed on a #33 pick and the rationale was you can't have too many young players and the weren't enough roster spots. It's not going to be much different when it's the #16 from Charlotte or the #17 from Atlanta. Spurs will be heading into roster crunches whether people like it or not.

And if Nurkic is the sticking point you can still make the deal work money wise by adding McDermott. Yes he sucks on a bad contract but he'll be salary ballast after 2 seasons and you can add picks and get someone better.

I do think the Spurs are in line for the playoffs right now. And I do think Lillard could make them a contender, in so far as reaching the conference finals. I think Denver is one of the most overrated champions of the century.

Win now, with Pop. Duncan was a coin flip or airplane accommodation away from leaving the Spurs and that's with having won a title. Win now, win when young, get things going now.

And Lillard will be off the books in time for the Spurs to have used their 26 Atlanta swap and their 27 Atlanta and their 28 Boston swap and maybe with some caproom they get the next guy to pair with Wemby.

These extra first rounders with protections I think get overrated by fans. New York just had one of their acquired firsts disappear in the ether when Washington for the first time ever chose a long hard tanking rebuild. One bad injury or front office shakeup and any or all of the Toronto, Charlotte or Chicago picks could evaporate also.

This team has no point guard and no concrete way of getting one. Maintaining cap room will get harder and harder. They didn't even have the room to outbid the rockets for FVV if they wanted to this year and this was the big target year they had space. OKC burned 17 million plus pick 12 to select a back up point guard. Jones ain't it, and I don't see it in Wesley either.

Use these potential picks while you have them. I'm sure the argument will be to package them to move up in a future draft but that's easier said than done. It might cost you 5 picks then for an unknown, for the next Jalen Suggs. And then you have to develop them.

Just make the move now as long as it doesn't involve Wemby, Keldon, Vassell, or Sochan. They're the core that matter.

Spurs Homer
07-02-2023, 08:22 PM
It is just weird that a miracle happened -
(lottery/wemby)

then another miracle (sort of) is happening - (lillard open to coming to s.a)

and

spurs are in need of a second star
spurs are a point guard away from having a nice team

and

everyone here is so USED TO -
planning for the future/tanking/hoarding picks/riding with G league players

that suddenly the clouds part and it is there for the taking....

and everyone is:

"nah- lillards too old"
"nah- lillard will cost 60- mil in year 4"
"nah- wemby needs 2-3 years ..."
"nah- we need to keep our frp, srp,"
"nah - no vassell...."
"nah - not keldon"

**edit - oh yeah - another piece of good fortune - the Spurs are the team in the BEST position to nab a superstar - if they have the balls to go after it - **

jeezus...

Sure hope the spurs front office has the balls to grab a gift when it is in their lap...

daslicer
07-02-2023, 08:26 PM
It is just weird that a miracle happened -
(lottery/wemby)

then another miracle (sort of) is happening - (lillard open to coming to s.a)

and

spurs are in need of a second star
spurs are a point guard away from having a nice team

and

everyone here is so USED TO -
planning for the future/tanking/hoarding picks/riding with G league players

that suddenly the clouds part and it is there for the taking....

and everyone is:

"nah- lillards too old"
"nah- lillard will cost 60- mil in year 4"
"nah- wemby needs 2-3 years ..."
"nah- we need to keep our frp, srp,"
"nah - no vassell...."
"nah - not keldon"

jeezus...

Sure hope the spurs front office has the balls to grab a gift when it is in their lap...

Lillard is basically an undersized SG and is getting up there in age. He is 33. I'm definitely passing up on that. Now if it was some young star like Doncic I would be down. By getting Lillard you are basically betting the Spurs will be able to win the championship in the next 2 years. I don't see Lillard being useful after 35.

Spurs Homer
07-02-2023, 08:31 PM
Lillard is basically an undersized SG and is getting up there in age. He is 33. I'm definitely passing up on that. Now if it was some young star like Doncic I would be down. By getting Lillard you are basically betting the Spurs will be able to win the championship in the next 2 years. I don't see Lillard being useful after 35.

sure buddy,

join the club -

too this
too that
not enough this
not enough that

Dverde
07-02-2023, 08:36 PM
I think it would be weird for Herro to come to his former teammate Keldon’s team making more money than him. I like Herro but not at his contract number.

objective
07-02-2023, 08:42 PM
Some Spurs fans : "Lillard is too old! He'll be 33!"

Meanwhile David Robinson was 33 and 37 when he won his titles. How easy fans forget their history.

If Wemby is who people think him to be, a truly generational player, the best in 20 years, maybe the best ever, then he's ready to try and win the title with this year, next year, every year.

If he's not that guy, then keep losing. If he's the next Banchero or Bargnani, you might as well trade Keldon and Vassell now to tank and to aim for the next number one pick, maybe he'll be good enough to carry Wembenyama

If you see he's the next Duncan, he can win during his rookie deal. If you see he's the next Olowokandi, then you have to hold on to these picks end these young guys, maybe they'll be the next Jokic, the second round draft pick might be the way to go.

exstatic
07-02-2023, 08:43 PM

Cuban's like that.

That ensures he walks out the door in 2027 for nothing. He will be 28, and Wemby 23.

Barfunk
07-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Stars should be clamoring to come to a team like the Spurs. Truly a place where they could just focus on basketball. Media throws nothing but softballs here at the coaches/players.

daslicer
07-02-2023, 08:45 PM

Meanwhile David Robinson was 33 and 37 when he won his titles. How easy fans forget their history.

If Wemby is who people think him to be, a truly generational player, the best in 20 years, maybe the best ever, then he's ready to try and win the title with this year, next year, every year.

If he's not that guy, then keep losing. If he's the next Banchero or Bargnani, you might as well trade Keldon and Vassell now to tank and to aim for the next number one pick, maybe he'll be good enough to carry Wembenyama

If you see he's the next Duncan, he can win during his rookie deal. If you see he's the next Olowokandi, then you have to hold on to these picks end these young guys, maybe they'll be the next Jokic, the second round draft pick might be the way to go.

Comparing 33 Lillard to 33 David Robinson is a stupid comparison. Robinson could impact the game on both ends while Lilllard doesn't have that ability. Lillard is not going to be a defensive anchor like Robinson was.

Barfunk
07-02-2023, 08:46 PM

:lol These right here.

exstatic
07-02-2023, 08:46 PM
Yeah, but would you want a player basically telling you he doesn't want to play for your team or be in your city?

Oh, who won the bet? The one about changing Username?

We won the draft lottery, making the terms of the bet moot.

ismael-robert
07-02-2023, 08:55 PM
By 37 Dave was a solid role player. His back had him a shell of himself. By 37 dame may just be spot up 3 shooter like kerr

tonight...you
07-02-2023, 09:00 PM
That ensures he walks out the door in 2027 for nothing. He will be 28, and Wemby 23.
Hope to see it.

Ariel
07-02-2023, 09:03 PM

David Robinson won with a team led by Duncan that had a veteran supporting cast. In this case the core is a bunch of 19 (Wemby), 20 (Sochan, Branham), 22 (Vassell) and 23 (Keldon) year olds, that are NOWHERE NEAR contention. The fact of the matter is, WE DON'T KNOW HOW FAR ALONG WEMBY IS. The guy isn't a 4 year senior like Duncan was, he might be really good (hopefully) but it's ridiculous to expect him to be as good as Tim was right out of the gate. Even if he's really good, it'll take him a few years to develop, meanwhile Lillard is getting up in age and it'll give you a very slim window to contend, it's a threading the needle kind of scenario. Meanwhile, you likely have to trade some of the youth and picks, overpay for a supporting cast, and miss out on free agency given the financial commitment Lillard would take.
It's like people have learned nothing from the past 10 such trades (KD, Harden -twice-, Kyrie, Gobert, Mitchell, Paul George, KG and Pierce to Brooklyn, etc). These trades rarely work and when they do it's because there's a veteran team in place to contend immediately (AD to Lakers, KG & Ray Allen to Boston) and that's usually one championship of glory and a decade plus of misery. It's a clear pass from me.

Crazymaddopeyo
07-02-2023, 09:07 PM
I like Dame but right now all he’ll do is make us a play in team and teach the young guys around him. These are good things but is it worth the money? This team probably won’t be ready to compete for another three years and I’m just assuming by then he’ll be 36 and a shell of himself.

Not saying don’t it but it’s a huge gamble depending on who you give up.

objective
07-02-2023, 09:16 PM
I think these core players for the Spurs are ready. I think Keldon is ready for the playoffs, and Vassell, and Sochan. They'll get better with time, just like how Parker and Manu weren't done developing after winning in 03.

But I think with Lillard in place of expirings this team would have a legit shot. Wemby, Keldon, Vassell, Sochan, and Lillard is 5 guys I'm comfortable seeing the Spurs go to war with. In the playoffs you ultimately need 7 or 8 players you can count on once you get far enough. Collins could be one, Jones and Branham or McDermott could be the others.

If not for Sean's knee surgery in 98 they might have ringed then too, though Vinny instead of Elie was a shortcoming.

Spurs Homer
07-02-2023, 09:18 PM
Comparing 33 Lillard to 33 David Robinson is a stupid comparison. Robinson could impact the game on both ends while Lilllard doesn't have that ability. Lillard is not going to be a defensive anchor like Robinson was.

Lillard can take over a game and score at will ala kobe

when hes on- he is unstoppable

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 09:28 PM
By 37 Dave was a solid role player. His back had him a shell of himself. By 37 dame may just be spot up 3 shooter like kerr
And he had 13 points and 17 rebounds in his final game. The clinching game of the championship.

Tyronn Lue
07-02-2023, 09:38 PM
Disagree. If you’re paying THAT salary, and THAT cost to acquire, you’d better be fucking ringing, and more than once.
29 teams don't ring every year. Dame isn't the only high salary player.

Ariel
07-02-2023, 09:43 PM
29 teams don't ring every year. Dame isn't the only high salary player.
tied for 7th highest, only 2M below 2nd highest paid player: https://hoopshype.com/salaries/players/

DPG21920
07-02-2023, 09:52 PM
If Dame were 27-29 I wouldn’t think twice…but he’s not. His age and money are just too risky. The upside is maybe 2nd round team? Downside is missing out on a championship potential core/team for next 5-7 years.

Dejounte
07-02-2023, 09:56 PM
The amount of money being paid doesn’t matter and too many people are fixated on it. It’s the timing of when those contracts end that money is tied to which matter most. Deliberate planning for that is key. Looking at dollar value is pointless in the context that is being used by many here.

K...
07-02-2023, 10:00 PM
if the deal is good, say 3 FRP filler, swaps, then the 2 frp to salary dump him is just the cost of doing business. the same is true of herro, although i think he might remain positive asset especially if he can exploit wemby partnership.

baseline bum
07-02-2023, 10:01 PM

Lillard ain't David Robinson and LOL the thought of 19 year old Wemby being as ready as 22 year old Tim.

KobesAchilles
07-02-2023, 10:06 PM
I mean basically Spurstalk is only willing to trade for Luka, Giannis, and Jokic. That’s it. Meanwhile we have a team full of all-stars that are better fits than any other all-nba player in the entire nba. So in 3 years we will have 3 all nba players naturally and will be willing to compete… yeah good luck with that plan

Whats more likely is that we will end up with the 14th pick next year and y’all geniuses will miss out on Lillard for a alright player in Keldon, the 14th pick in the draft, the CHI pick, and one Atlanta swap. Makes zero sense. Bc by then we will be in the same cycle.

No don’t trade for x player bc our 14th pick is gonna be an all star. Tre Jones might develop a 3ball. KJ averaged 18 ppg with no defense. He’s integral to our culture. Who knows what that 15th pick from Atlanta nets us. It could be another Kawhi!

And next thing you know, we never had a deep playoff run, our core guys are still youngish, but not nearly as good as we thought they were, and our draft picks will be too young to help Wemby.

One player, 3FRPs and we literally have a pick every year anyways and all of Spurstalk says no. Just weird

DPG21920
07-02-2023, 10:11 PM
I mean basically Spurstalk is only willing to trade for Luka, Giannis, and Jokic. That’s it. Meanwhile we have a team full of all-stars that are better fits than any other all-nba player in the entire nba. So in 3 years we will have 3 all nba players naturally and will be willing to compete… yeah good luck with that plan

Whats more likely is that we will end up with the 14th pick next year and y’all geniuses will miss out on Lillard for a alright player in Keldon, the 14th pick in the draft, the CHI pick, and one Atlanta swap. Makes zero sense. Bc by then we will be in the same cycle.

No don’t trade for x player bc our 14th pick is gonna be an all star. Tre Jones might develop a 3ball. KJ averaged 18 ppg with no defense. He’s integral to our culture. Who knows what that 15th pick from Atlanta nets us. It could be another Kawhi!

And next thing you know, we never had a deep playoff run, our core guys are still youngish, but not nearly as good as we thought they were, and our draft picks will be too young to help Wemby.

One player, 3FRPs and we literally have a pick every year anyways and all of Spurstalk says no. Just weird

It’s not weird it’s rational. Dame has a ton of risk due to his age and contract. It’s situational. I’d be open to trading for the guys you mentioned. Not Dame. But if Ja or Embiid or Ant Edward’s or any other expensive star was available that was younger and fit with the timeline more then we would be open.

Dame is too old and too expensive and does not match the timeline at all unfortunately. If his deal was exactly the same but he was 27 I would be more open to it.

DPG21920
07-02-2023, 10:12 PM
Side note - just saw a nugget from Bobby Marks that he heard Dame loves SA BUT wants a more title ready team. So only way he would be open is if they had another trade lined up for another all star (like Kawhi and PG situation)

scott
07-02-2023, 10:18 PM
The beauty of what the Spurs FO has done is that it has left open the flexibility to that any of these options are all viable team building options and none of them really hamstring us the way you might think. As Dejounte has pointed out, Lillard’s contract, while massive, isn’t as killer as it seems on the surface BECAUSE of the way the Spurs have conducted themselves thus far. So with that in mind…

1) Dame is a bona fide superstar who I think actually fits with our team quite well. However, his age and contract are negatives. I actually think Dame is the kind of dude who could still be balling at a high level at 36, but it’s hard to spend $60MM to find out, whether you can afford to or not. For these reasons, this is not my preferred option.

2) My preferred option is probably unpopular on this board, and it’s Tyler Herro. He’s young, he’s talent, and he is attainable. IMO, he would immediately become our best player behind Wemby, with a fairly significant gap to the next best player. Someone in this thread will make an argument that Vassell is a better player, and we’ll just have to agree to disagree. His contract actually fits quite well with our timeline. He may not be a perfect fit with Vassell, KJ and Sochan, but I really don’t care too much about that. Vassell and KJ aren’t good enough to worry about how a superior player fits with them, and I think Sochan will fit with anyone. For the record, I actually think Herro and Vassell could fit well together… but I’d also be fine with losing Vassell to get Herro, because that’s how much better a player I think Herro is than Vassell. You’re obviously, all free to disagree.

3) I’m totally fine with the Spurs slow playing it as well. That is a completely viable team building route. However, what I think we would best not disillusion ourselves with is that there is going to be this epic 2025 FA class that we need to keep our powder dry for and that Giannis, Luka, etc. will be free agents willing to come to San Antonio. These draft classes never really materialize, and even with Wemby, San Antonio still isn’t going to be that top FA destination.

4) As an extension of the point above, I believe the FO has earned a lot of trust with setting us up to this point, but at some point they’re going to have to actually make a move. That’s the part we’ve yet to see from this FO… it’s all just been selling and putting future pieces in place thus far. Can they make the transition to being shrewd and effective buyers? They can’t make all these picks… but we’ll also have wasted an opportunity if we end up just selling them for some 2031 FRP that conveys when Wemby is possibly playing somewhere else. All the moves we make need to be done to improve the team within the Wemby timeline that is known - which is 6-7 years. We can’t horde cap space and picks forever. At some point, we have to push in the chips. For now, I trust the FO… but I have both eyes open.

objective
07-02-2023, 10:19 PM

While I am pro-lillard trade I don't want to include Keldon in any deal, but it's not because I think he'll be a star (I'm not a huge believer in him turning into a star).

Rather for pragmatic reasons: the reason to trade for Lillard is to compete right now. Can't compete without legit NBA players up and down the short rotation and Keldon fits that bill. Without Keldon there would be a big hole for minutes and I don't think Branham or Cissoko or Champagnie can come close to filling it

objective
07-02-2023, 10:22 PM
After looking at Brooklyn's stash of picks, I do think they could offer a more tempting deal to Portland, though I think they would ultimately be a worse team than SA would with Lillard.

Extra Stout
07-02-2023, 10:22 PM
I don’t think the Spurs are going to be a 40-win team drafting 14th. I think they’re going to be a 29-win team drafting 6th. And Toronto will be a 36-win team handing over the 11th pick.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 10:36 PM
People don't know if he's Duncan or Olowakandi but they know what free agents or trade bait he needs but it has to be RIGHT NOW and it has to be someone who is available RIGHT NOW. Don't let him play even a single minute in summer league. Use all draft picks. Sign every free agent. Spend every penny. You're a shill for the front office who wants to see the franchise fail if you don't want to make every available move right this minute.

K...
07-02-2023, 10:46 PM
People don't know if he's Duncan or Olowakandi but they know what free agents or trade bait he needs but it has to be RIGHT NOW and it has to be someone who is available RIGHT NOW. Don't let him play even a single minute in summer league. Use all draft picks. Sign every free agent. Spend every penny. You're a shill for the front office who wants to see the franchise fail if you don't want to make every available move right this minute.

we might need a poll to settle this, but who is actually full on lillard? i'd assume its 50% hell no, and 50% "if it's for the minimum why not"? The problem is Dame has no leverage due to his contract, value on contract. If you the spurs, you wanna low ball portland, or see what else we can pry loose from Miami or whever else lillar or harden might go.

I think it's fine to say, trading for lillard is ok in the short term, and a medium concern in the medium term, and not trading is also okay. Personally we can do better but need to be ready for the next set of stars to want to come here.

K...
07-02-2023, 10:50 PM
Side note - just saw a nugget from Bobby Marks that he heard Dame loves SA BUT wants a more title ready team. So only way he would be open is if they had another trade lined up for another all star (like Kawhi and PG situation)

yeah the timing of this is bad, who the fuck are the spurs going to get and why should they become the clippers? Dame needed to make this request before FA, unless he wants harden and that probably a hell no.

also the spurs know first hand about lillard and LMA, and while wemby might be more assertive than LMA, it would not be surprising if LMA scared the spurs off lillard.

DPG21920
07-02-2023, 11:04 PM
Maybe they can land Jerami Grant to pair with him!! :lol

rankingtear
07-02-2023, 11:07 PM
People don't understand that it is not just Dame, he would be followed up by several win now moves. Mistake after mistake would add up trying to catch up with his timeline not Victors. We are not sure yet if it fits on the court or personality wise. You just don't commit to the top 10 highest paid player nearing the end of his career then stop there. It would be waste of our time and dame time.

BackHome
07-02-2023, 11:16 PM
I think people are setting themselves up for failure regarding Wemby first year - Don’t get me wrong happy to have him but way to much pressure on his young shoulders. He is going to have his ups and downs like any rookie and Pop will be very cautious with him regarding injuries and just wear and tear in such a long season. Before I do a Houston I am going to do a test drive to see what I actually got and then I will start making moves

Seventyniner
07-02-2023, 11:21 PM
I doubt it will be possible to trade for Dame without having to take on Nurkic too. The Blazers are in the drivers seat here. The Spurs have been looking for another C; is it worth settling for Nurkic there if it means getting Dame?

spurraider21
07-02-2023, 11:25 PM
Cedi Osman doesn’t count?

spurraider21
07-02-2023, 11:25 PM
I doubt it will be possible to trade for Dame without having to take on Nurkic too. The Blazers are in the drivers seat here. The Spurs have been looking for another C; is it worth settling for Nurkic there if it means getting Dame?
If the blazers are ready to treat Nurkic like a burden and not an asset then equations change

Mnky
07-02-2023, 11:32 PM

This is a great breakdown. If you can be competitive now, you be competitive now. Dame is a top tier player and isn't close to his end game. 30 is not old, not sure why people still don't understand that. Especially not for guys who are shooters. I don't get the "timeline" everyone talks about. You're not guaranteed Wemby wants to stay here forever losing. There is no timeline outside of his current contract until he signs again.

I wouldn't make a bad deal but If there was a favorable deal on the table for Dame? Absolutely. Ridiculous not to want a talent like that leading your next generational star. Would help tremendously with being the biggest target in the NBA next year. You have the money, it won't hamper you and you give up Keldon? A guy who is legitimately one of the worse defenders in the league? You're not winning with that type of defense at any point. Keldon has gotten worse at defense, not better. Love Keldon, but he's not a cornerstone player.

And the draft picks, this is exactly why you stock piled them. To make a move when it was available. You can't draft two 1st rounders every year.

Like I said, I'm not throwing it all away on Dame, but if Spurs can get a good deal for him and he wants to be here? Absolutely take him. Now maybe the deal is horrible and maybe he would never want to be here, then yea move on, but easy yes to Dame if the price is right. He helps your generational star. He protects him. You're investing in Wemby being a Spur for life. That's absolutely worth it if he is what they think he is.

Mnky
07-02-2023, 11:37 PM
While I am pro-lillard trade I don't want to include Keldon in any deal, but it's not because I think he'll be a star (I'm not a huge believer in him turning into a star).

Rather for pragmatic reasons: the reason to trade for Lillard is to compete right now. Can't compete without legit NBA players up and down the short rotation and Keldon fits that bill. Without Keldon there would be a big hole for minutes and I don't think Branham or Cissoko or Champagnie can come close to filling it

Sochan and Vassell fill those minutes fine. Keldon plays the forward position, but is lacking size, athletic ability and defense at the position. All of which vassell and sochan are as good if not a better fit.

ismael-robert
07-02-2023, 11:42 PM
If it's picks n end of bench salary fillers fine but not willing to give up our young talent. Keldon, vassell, could put up all star type numbers if that's what dame wants...sochan proved he could and malaki has potential...like our first 12 guys can put up 20 any night if pop draws defense off of them with proper plays

offset formation
07-02-2023, 11:46 PM

Careful bro. This is heretical stuff and certain posters will be along shortly to tell you how idiotic you are for daring question the greatness that is PATFO....or at minimum the idea that we aren't already destined for greatness as currently constructed. And while you're at it, how dare you mention that we still haven't reached the salary floor or have picks to trade. What kind of cretin are you anyway?

honestfool84
07-02-2023, 11:59 PM

:rollin
You'll never be happy, deal with it.

Tyronn Lue
07-03-2023, 12:47 AM
If he's a bust then that next 1st overall isn't walking through that door anytime soon. Nothing to lose in that case. It's not like anyone here does profit sharing with the Spurs owners.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2023, 12:54 AM
30 is not old, not sure why people still don't understand that.

He's 33. It makes a difference on a contract that's back loaded to thank a vet for his contribution. A team acquiring him misses out on most of the contribution and is stuck paying for the thank you.

baseline bum
07-03-2023, 12:56 AM
This is a great breakdown. If you can be competitive now, you be competitive now. Dame is a top tier player and isn't close to his end game. 30 is not old, not sure why people still don't understand that.

I'd be all over getting Lillard if he was 30. He's not, he's 33.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2023, 12:59 AM
I'd be all over getting Lillard if he was 30. He's not, he's 33.
Hell, I might be willing to look at him prior to the trade deadline depending on how things flesh out. Not certain why everyone is in such a panic to use every draft pick and spend every dollar before summer league has even started.

kht
07-03-2023, 01:09 AM
I'd be the third team to pick up Herro tbh. If he can play for Spo and Riley and all of the distractions that come with living in Miami, San Antonio would be a cake walk.

Mr. Body
07-03-2023, 01:45 AM
Really think the Lillard trade is not for us. Unless Herro somehow appeals to the brass but I don't think so.

Harden is where it's at. He'll get to the Clippers and we are watching the whole meet up like a coyote in the desert. I don't think they can keep both centers. There's rumors Zubac is available.

Would I trade a first for Zubac? Dunno. Probably that Charlotte one. Also, the Clippers have almost no seconds for the rest of the decade. But then... I think it's Philadelphia that gets the draft assets of the Spurs step on and grab the center to facilitate.

Mnky
07-03-2023, 04:15 AM
He's 33. It makes a difference on a contract that's back loaded to thank a vet for his contribution. A team acquiring him misses out on most of the contribution and is stuck paying for the thank you.

Did not know his contract was backloaded, that does make a bit of a difference.

Mnky
07-03-2023, 04:18 AM
Hell, I might be willing to look at him prior to the trade deadline depending on how things flesh out. Not certain why everyone is in such a panic to use every draft pick and spend every dollar before summer league has even started.

I agree here. It's not a rush thing, but it's also not an automatic No like people are saying to add a star player to help your franchise player develop. I like the spurs approach of seeing what they have first. For Lilliard, the Only other bid against the spurs would be the Nets. If they go all in, good for them but if there would be the possibility for a good deal to invest in helping Wemby develop. With that being said, I see the spurs getting Herro much more likely in a facilitating position over Lilliard.

Mal
07-03-2023, 04:19 AM
Just because you can maybe afford it doesn't make it the best deal available over the next 48 months. At some point an actual superstar who is young might become available. There aren't really any basketball reasons to sacrifice that flexibility.

Dame Lillard, even at 33, is top of the top player you can get, come on.

Mal
07-03-2023, 04:23 AM
If Dame were 27-29 I wouldn’t think twice…but he’s not. His age and money are just too risky. The upside is maybe 2nd round team? Downside is missing out on a championship potential core/team for next 5-7 years.

I`ll take 2nd round, when Wemby is still 19.

JPB
07-03-2023, 04:29 AM
This is a great breakdown. If you can be competitive now, you be competitive now. .

Precisely not, that's the whole point and why Wright is the GM, who as such has to see the big picture and deal spurs assets consequently, not just plan for the near future... The goal is not to be competitive but to contend, nobody cares are about the couple WC semi finals Lillard presence could eventually bring to SA. You're not ringing with today's Lillard who is 32, not 30 by the way...

And no one should assume anything about how competitive he could be after 34, we have no idea how he will feel physicall and psychologically and that's part of the risk that a GM has to calculate...Lillard does'nt fit the timeline and jeoperdize a lot of things you could and should do when Wemby will enter his prime... Missing on superstars in the next couple of years who could make you contend for 4-5 years just for a couple of WC semis doesn't make sense, reason why SA won't do it.

"If you can be competitive now, you be competitive now" is what a bad GM would say.

Mnky
07-03-2023, 04:51 AM
Precisely not, that's the whole point and why Wright is the GM, who as such has to see the big picture and not just the near future... The goal is not to be competitive but to contend, nobody cares are about the couple WC semi finals Lillard presence could eventually bring to SA. You're not ringing with today's Lillard who is 32, not 30 by the way...

And no one should assume anything about how competitive he could be after 34, we have no idea how he will feel physicall and psychologically and that's part of the risk that a GM has to calculate...Lillard does'nt fit the timeline and jeoperdize a lot of things you could and should do when Wemby will enter his prime... Missing on superstars in the next couple of years who could make you contend for 4-5 years just for a couple of WC semis doesn't make sense, reason why SA won't do it.

"If you can be competitive now, you be competitive now" is what a bad GM would say.

Their job is literally based on being competitive. This is just a silly take. Wemby wants to compete. He has said it multiple times. Competing does not mean selling the farm and giving away all assets. It doesn't mean taking bad deals. If there is a good deal where the spurs clearly win, you think they should avoid it simply because they shouldn't be competitive now?

That, good sir, is a bad GM.
You can't keep superstars when you're not competitive. If Wemby is a LeBron level player, you have to be competitive sooner than later.

A "bad GM" didn't care about being competitive in Cleveland. We saw how that turned out.

I don't think Wemby is that level of impact this early, and don't think it's necessary. You can't be in the lottery every year with a generational talent. It won't workout.

The original argument was simply against being automatically against Lilliard without even knowing what the cost were. So even in the event of it benefiting the spurs, they shouldn't consider it? That's just silly. You should consider all options and weigh the highs and lows. If it works out to your benefit and you can be competitive now over not competitive, yea you absolutely consider that every time. I listed the benefits of the situation, mostly towards Wemby. He is the priority if he is the franchise. You build around what's best for him. Having a competent PG over one of the worse defensive players in the league in keldon johnson and a couple 1st round picks you probably won't be able to use isn't a bad deal to help Wemby his first few years.

It doesn't mean it's the one to make, plenty of question marks without even seeing wemby play in the NBA yet, but once again, Wemby is the priority if he's that guy.

LeBowen
07-03-2023, 05:14 AM
If Wemby is a LeBron level player

Key point here.
We just don't know. He could be the next Kareem or the next Oden.

We need at least half a season to establish his actual ability and more importantly durability in the NBA.
And it's not like the rest of the roster is full of established players.
We need one season with no bs DNPs, everyone playing at their best, in order to properly evaluate the roster.

Most of us who are against trading for Lillard would have no issue in doing so if we were sure Wemby is the next big thing, but we're not.
What if he gets injured before we even figure out his potential? You're stuck with Lillard who's not going to sit out another season.

If Wemby has a Duncan-like rookie season, then by all means, go all in the next summer and get ready for contention.
I just think that trading for a 33 year old on a supermax that runs through 2027 isn't a good idea.
Might seem far fetched because Spurs were never a destination for big names, but just look at the state of the league.

Mavs completely ruined any chance to build around Luka and he doesn't seem to have Dirk's loyalty. He's gone within two years if this situation continues.
Memphis looked to be on their way to contention, but it turned out that Ja is an idiot. If he doesn't get his shit together this season, I can see some trade requests being made.
TWolves are always a trainwreck, can't see Edwards sticking around for long.
NOLA is also a joke, but we don't really want either of their stars.
Suns are stacked right now, but that roster is very close to their expiry date. Two seasons at the most and they're done. Who knows what happens with Booker after that.
Kings are good, but already at their limit because they can't add another star and neither Fox nor Sabonis are good enough as first options on a legit contender.
Hawks are close to imploding.
Celtics have a big decision to make with Brown's contract.
Cavs will have to get rid of Mitchell or Garland (my personal favorite for Wemby's partner) because two small guards on a max, playing with no defense just can't work.
Bucks extended their window by a couple of seasons, but they'll be done in 2025 with no assets remaining. Giannis will still be young enough.
Sixers are in a horrible position. I'd say their window is closed and Embiid won't be there much longer, imo.

I didn't even include Warriors, Lakers or Clippers because they're just straight up old and don't have an all-star Spurs would want.
Denver is the only contending team in a really good long-term situation right now.

Biting on Lillard trade is something poorly ran organizations with no patience do.
He most defintiely doesn't even want to join and would play for the Spurs as a last resort option. Then we'd have to make a couple more trades because he won't come to fight for the play-in.

After nephew sabotaged everything, Spurs kept digging themselves even deeper for a couple of years with all those treadmill team trades.
They finally realized it's time to go and got incredibly lucky with Wemby. I'm sure they won't ruin it just because a 33 year old star asked out.
I honestly can't remember when was the last time NBA had so many contenders in questionable situation and uncertain long-term future.
I'd say that as soon as the next summer, Spurs will have at least a couple of opportunities to trade for any of the players I mentioned above. Players who are way closer to Wemby timeline than Lillard.
By then we'll know if Wemby is actually the real deal. If he is, then very few players won't have Spurs on their list of preferred trade destinations.
And not only that, but Spurs will have enough assets to make multiple trades. Just takes some patience.

Season can't start soon enough so everyone can forget all about these potential trades.

rankingtear
07-03-2023, 05:56 AM
I don't know what the rush is. Do 35 year old all star guards stopped being available after this offseason.

SpursGenius
07-03-2023, 06:03 AM

I would do KJ, MCD, salary filler, Charlotte pick 1st (14 at best) and Chicago pick (mid first i think), 2-3 second rounders. Thats it. After a few days Portland will realize Most teams have nothing great to offer for Dame at 32.

exstatic
07-03-2023, 06:49 AM
I'd be the third team to pick up Herro tbh. If he can play for Spo and Riley and all of the distractions that come with living in Miami, San Antonio would be a cake walk.

You do understand that he’s failing at all of that, right? They’ve been shopping him for a year because of that fact. It’s not just to trade him for lillard. He’s been on the block.

Oh, and he would absolutely fail here, which is why we wouldn’t trade for him.

objective
07-03-2023, 06:55 AM
If Wemby is who everyone thinks he is then the Spurs will be competitive whether anyone likes it or not.

I'm confident they'll surprise people, like in the first 7 game this past year but over a whole season. The biggest thing holding them back is the lack of a good point guard / on ball creator. That is probably the easiest way to lose is by having bad point play.

If Vassell gets an extension anything like the current payscales going around the Spurs might never have enough cap room to add a top 15 point guard via free agency for the rest of Wemby's career. VanVleet wasn't a top 10 pg in my eyes and ... still has an estimated 1st year salary of 40.8!

That's if there's even any one to sign. The top 3 UFA points next year are dejounte, Conley and Lowry. Plus 35 year old DeMar if he counts. In 2025 they'll be Ben Simmons, Jamal Murray (good luck), 31 year old Derrick White and 35 year old non shooting Jrue.

I was not a fan of signing FVV before free agency because of the reasons people don't like a Lillard deal: doesn't fit with the plan, age not in the same timeline ... So why do I think differently for someone even older who would cost assets beyond just capspace? Because Lillard is that much better. He's so good that he can be worth it, if he wanted to play for SA of course.

High risk yet high reward . I don't expect it to happen and won't be heartbroken when it doesn't. Just an entertaining thought experiment.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2023, 07:01 AM
I`ll take 2nd round, when Wemby is still 19.

Why do you want to lose in the conference semifinals?

Obstructed_View
07-03-2023, 07:04 AM
I don't know what the rush is. Do 35 year old all star guards stopped being available after this offseason.

Apparently he is the greatest aging guard of all time. I'm pretty certain he will be on the trading block again in two years. :lol

Obstructed_View
07-03-2023, 07:24 AM
I'm super grateful that Victor is confident and wants to win right away. I don't necessarily think that mortgaging a significant part of your future on the optimism of a 19 year old is the wisest course of action.