Weaknesses
    -Efficiency
    -Shooting
    -Size

Complete Johnny Davis scouting report and Spurs outlook

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Links point to combine measurements. Correct link is this: https://www.spurstalk.com/johnny-dav...spurs-outlook/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Links point to combine measurements. Correct link is this: https://www.spurstalk.com/johnny-dav...spurs-outlook/
    Oops, thx.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good read. I think this is key:
    Offensively, Davis had to carry a massive load. Surrounded by a herd of future dairy farmers, he had no choice but to put Wisconsin on his back. While his efficiency suffered as a result, Davis flashed the ability to score from virtually every spot on the court. From step-back three-pointers to self-created mid-range jumpers to bold forays into the teeth of the defense, he did a lot of everything. He also averaged more than six free throw attempts per game and shot them at 79.1%.
    In the NBA, Davis will likely take a secondary or tertiary role on offense, which will assuredly improve his efficiency. However, he exhibited enough promise as a No. 1 option that it’s possible that he could be a high volume scorer at the next level. With better teammates and improved spacing, Davis’ ability to score from all three levels could potentially turn him into a go-to scorer. That’s not a likely outcome but it’s definitely a possibility if he keeps developing — and that’s not something that can be said about many players in this draft.
    Also, I don't think his size is an issue. Most NBA shooting guards advertised as 6'6" are actually his size... he's about average. His athleticism is not up to par, though, but his effort will go a long way to make up for it. He's probably the one guy with clearest 2 way potential at that slot. If he extends his range a bit, which is reasonable given time, work ethic and better looks, he'll be a very good starting guard for many years. I really like him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ghost of Michael Finley wants this to happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shades of Jordan Clarkson on offense and Donte Divincenzo on defense

i think there are better options IMO

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Compe iveness is an outlier seen from surprise all stars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    getting Klay Thompson vibes from him. Seems like a good fit next to DJ, if we didn't have 13 shooting guards on the roster already. Hard pass for me

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    getting Klay Thompson vibes from him. Seems like a good fit next to DJ, if we didn't have 13 shooting guards on the roster already. Hard pass for me
    He is undersized. Klay is a legit 6'7 with shoes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My favorite player in CBB this season. Most productive Guard in college and the best footwork of any Guard in the draft imo. An argument can be made that he was the best offensive player altogether, only behind Keegan Murray.

Anyways, love his game and would be happy with the pick personally (depending on who’s still on the board). Think the Spurs pass on him though in favor of Dyson Daniels, AJ Griffin, Ben Mathurin, or Sochan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think he winds up a Wizard or a Knick. Probably the latter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder who gets to gym first, him or Dejounte

The kid is every coaches dream. A natural leader and will to win. Pop would be giddy to have him in the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should be noted he measured nearly 6’6 in shoes despite his 6’5 listing. Only a 6’9 wingspan though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder who gets to gym first, him or Dejounte

The kid is every coaches dream. A natural leader and will to win. Pop would be giddy to have him in the team.
    Agree that whatever coach gets him will be a happy one. His intangibles are off the charts. Smart player, high character, natural born leader, gym rat, super compe ive, gives maximum effort, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel whatever lacking in his game, he will just work on it to the T. And the Spurs are not short on developing players if the willingness is there. I just feel by the end of the game, he will not be gun shy to take the shot, attack the rim, block a shot, whatever to win. Manu comes to mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is undersized. Klay is a legit 6'7 with shoes.
    Klay is a whole inch and a half taller (6'4.25" vs 6'5.75"). If there's a difference (there is!), that's not it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Posted these in the Draft Thread back in February.

Johnny Davis is so damn good. 13 straight points to close the game for the Badgers on the road. His game translates great to the next level. Arguably the most NBA ready prospect in the Draft. Could see him winning ROY. Reminds me a bit of Brandon Roy with his game. Not as athletic or explosive as Jaden Ivey, but a more polished offensive player right now (put up 37 pts & 14 rbs against Ivey & Purdue earlier this season). Just a smart, smooth basketball player who takes over in the clutch. Kid is a gamer.

He’s my favorite to win the Naismith College Player of the Year Award right now. Probably the greatest player in Wisconsin Basketball history honestly. We likely won’t be the team to draft him, but he’s a really good/safe prospect imo.

Kid is a monster.

Last edited by BatManu20; 05-19-2022 at 10:41 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Johnny Davis’ 3-point shooting will continue to improve at the next level with more reps and better spacing than he had at Wisconsin. Just a matter of time imo.

Another underrated aspect of his game that most guards in this draft don’t have is his post-up ability. He was the best SG in the post in CBB this season. Really good in that department with his advanced footwork and mid-range ability.

I like him better than Agbaji personally. Not quite as athletic and not the 3-point shooter Agbaji is, but he’s 2 years younger, is better off the dribble, and is better in the midrange. I also just like his iso-ability to go get you a bucket when you need one better.
    Here’s some examples of Davis’ ability in the post from one game against one of the best defensive teams in CBB.

He shows some of his footwork, midrange touch, and passing ability in just a handful of possessions.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Davis measurements are actually really good for a 2-guard. 6’4.25 without shoes is essentially 6’5 - 6’6 in actual NBA height. And his standing reach of 8’7.5 is very good. Same reach as Klay who is 1.5 inches taller. He’s also got big hands which probably explains his above average rebounding, handles and finishing at the rim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where do you guys rate him compared to Bouknight last year? I wasn't a fan of Bouknight but thought he was a better NBA scoring prospect than Davis, which from a ball-dominant SG I believe is kind of mandatory.

I like Davis' compe iveness and toughness but I don't know what his role is at the next level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Davis measurements are actually really good for a 2-guard. 6’4.25 without shoes is essentially 6’5 - 6’6 in actual NBA height. And his standing reach of 8’7.5 is very good. Same reach as Klay who is 1.5 inches taller. He’s also got big hands which probably explains his above average rebounding, handles and finishing at the rim.
    His size is good for a shooting guard. But for the super switchability that someone like Dyson Daniels brings to the table, you'd want him to be a little bit bigger. Davis would be too small to be one of those 2/3/4 play-anywhere players, most likely.

Speaking of Daniels, Daniels vs. Davis is an extremely tough choice for me. Daniels is younger, bigger, a better passer and has a better overall feel. Davis is by far the better scoring prospect though and brings a boatload of intangibles to the table. I like Daniels' switchability but I think I'm starting to lean more Davis than Daniels. It's really close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Davis can go as high as 7 at Portland and I don’t think he will drop past the Knicks at 11.

Portland (Billups) will like his toughness, defense and playmaking. I don’t think the Pelicans will take him at 8. I could see the Spurs taking him at 9. I could see the Wizards taking him at 10 and making him and Beal the backcourt sharing ball handling and play making duties. I also think Thibs will love him at 11 as they need playmaking and defense.

If somehow he drops past 11 I can see him sliding to the Cavs at 14 as I think the Thunder and Hornets both pass him up for bigger needs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think switchability has become overrated in the modern NBA. You need guys who can guard a position well rather than just "well enough". If Davis can guard Ja and Trae, then he has value. If he can't, I don't care what SGs, SFs or PFs he can guard. It doesn't matter. The Spurs have a number of team defenders who can make an impact off the ball or if they don't have to cover multiple guys, but stars still eat right through those players. Finding that guy should be the team's top priority if they even look at a guy under 6-7. Davis being able to do this makes him interesting if the Spurs trade back. It doesn't make him all that interesting at 9. I don't care about moxie. Guys with chutzpa can be found all over the draft. Give me a guy with the skills the Spurs need at nine and look for those intangibles with the later picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His size is good for a shooting guard. But for the super switchability that someone like Dyson Daniels brings to the table, you'd want him to be a little bit bigger. Davis would be too small to be one of those 2/3/4 play-anywhere players, most likely.

Speaking of Daniels, Daniels vs. Davis is an extremely tough choice for me. Daniels is younger, bigger, a better passer and has a better overall feel. Davis is by far the better scoring prospect though and brings a boatload of intangibles to the table. I like Daniels' switchability but I think I'm starting to lean more Davis than Daniels. It's really close.
    Yeah agree I see Davis as a big combo guard who can occasionally slide up to the 3 for spot minutes depending on the matchup, where as Daniels has big wing size and is a potential four position defender. Just checked his combine numbers and yeah, 6’6 without shoes (+1.75” on Davis), 8’9 standing reach (+1.5” on Davis), 6’10.5 wingspan (+2” on Davis). Those are ‘big wing’ type measurements.

I think Davis and Daniels are going to be tough to split for a few teams in the 7-11 range, Portland at 7, Spurs at 9, Wizards at 10, Knicks at 11. I think New Orleans at 8 goes with shooting such as Mathurin or Griffin.

Thread Information