View Poll Results: Which of these 49er Tight Ends is the greatest in franchise history?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ted Kwalick

0 0%
  • Dwight Clark

17 80.95%
  • Brent Jones

3 14.29%
  • Vernon Davis

1 4.76%
  • George Kittle

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    See poll. Interesting topic. All good choices.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Best overall was Vernon Davis, but Dwight Clark will always be remembered as better for being clutch. Kittle has a ton of potential, though.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Dwight Clark by a mile, tbh.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Det Catch.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Kittle looks like he's on pace to outproduce Clark statistically, but is he ever going to have a moment rivaling "The Catch"... i dont think so

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    Dwight Clark wasn't a TE. He was a WR, opposite Freddie Solomon. Charle Young and Russ Francis played TE for those early-to-mid '80s 49ers teams.

Vernon Davis is at the top, IMO. Nice job putting Ted Kwalick in there, BTW.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Dwight Clark wasn't a TE. He was a WR, opposite Freddie Solomon. Charle Young and Russ Francis played TE for those early-to-mid '80s 49ers teams.

Vernon Davis is at the top, IMO. Nice job putting Ted Kwalick in there, BTW.
    "SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The San Francisco 49ers will honor former tight end Dwight Clark with a season-long celebration of his life that will include unveiling a statue of "The Catch."

https://abc7news.com/sports/49ers-to...ation/3908618/

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Legit never encountered this Tight End phenomenon outside this forum. Maybe I'll make a thread sometime on 49ersWebZone

Vernon Davis::

My favorite was Brett Jones. During that 90s golden age. All 3 teams had a great TE - Jones, Novacek and Chmura

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    "SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The San Francisco 49ers will honor former tight end Dwight Clark with a season-long celebration of his life that will include unveiling a statue of "The Catch."

https://abc7news.com/sports/49ers-to...ation/3908618/
    He was a starting WR for San Francisco's world championship teams in 1981 and '84, not a TE, went to two Pro Bowls as a WR, not a TE and was a 1982 first-team NFL All-Pro as a WR, not a TE. Dwight Clark was a WR, not a TE. Whoever wrote that story was wrong.

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    I voted Dwight Clark. Clearly best TE in Niners history.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    He was a starting WR for San Francisco's world championship teams in 1981 and '84, not a TE, went to two Pro Bowls as a WR, not a TE and was a 1982 first-team NFL All-Pro as a WR, not a TE. Dwight Clark was a WR, not a TE. Whoever wrote that story was wrong.
    Sorry but a court of law has already ruled on this.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Too early to crown Kittle but he's on the right path. Different era though.
    For Clark to do what he did when he did it...he's the correct choice.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    JoeTaint you are lacking some context imho

Believe.
    Post Count
    There are tons of Niner games on youtube, I challenge anyone to post any of them that show Clark playing more TE than WR. I have posted five videos showing him at WR,

There is a Niner site that lists all the best players by position, why isn'r Clark mentioned with their TE's? He is listed number three at WR,

There is a reason every single football card of his reads .....WR.
    Last edited by Avant; 03-17-2019 at 05:01 AM.

Believe.
    Post Count
    The only one other than myself who knows football in this thread., Clark was never called or considered to be a TE. That is why...

Sacramento Bee
    Associated Press
    SI
    Fords
    LA Times
    New York Times
    Chicago Tribune
    Washington Post
    The Sporting News

All call him a...WR.

We appear to be the only ones here who actually know the game.

Who can show a card that reads....TE...try nobody.

Believe.
    Post Count
    San Francisco 49ers: 5 best tight ends in franchise history

That is off the Niners site, why isn't Clark even mentioned, yep....he was never a TE.

BUT.....is listed at number three at WR behind Rice/Owens.

At no time in his career was Dwight Clark ever thought of or considered to be a TE. Anywhere listing him as one is 100% wrong.

Jim Brown is ALWAYS called a RB, he was never a RB at all, he played FB. And there was always a RB beside him.

There are a 1000 places calling him a running back.....all wrong.

Believe.
    Post Count
    Too early to crown Kittle but he's on the right path. Different era though.
    For Clark to do what he did when he did it...he's the correct choice.
    Find a game video that shows Clark playing more TE than WR? I have shown five where he is playing WR.

Show a roster that lists him at TE.

1981 San Francisco 49ers Roster

Dan Au
    OT
    Hawaii

John Ayers
    OG
    West Texas A&M

Matt Bahr
    K
    Penn State

Guy Benjamin
    QB
    Stanford

Dwaine Board
    DE
    North Carolina A&T

Matt Bouza
    WR
    California

Dan Bunz
    LB
    Long Beach State

John Choma
    OG
    Virginia

Ricky Churchman
    DB
    Texas

Dwight Clark
    WR
    Clemson

Earl Cooper
    RB
    Rice

Randy Cross
    OG
    UCLA

and on and on

Believe.
    Post Count
    Starters 1986

Copy Link to Table to Clipboard

Pos Player Age Yrs GS Summary of Player Stats Drafted (tm/rnd/yr)
    Offensive Starters
    QB Joe Montana 30 7 8 191 for 307, 2,236 yards, 8 td, 9 int, & 17 rushes for 38 yards and 0 td San Francisco 49ers / 3rd / 82nd pick / 1979
    RB Joe Cribbs 28 6 10 152 rushes for 590 yards, 5 td, & 35 catches for 346 yards and 0 td Buffalo Bills / 2nd / 29th pick / 1980
    FB Roger Craig 26 3 15 204 rushes for 830 yards, 7 td, & 81 catches for 624 yards and 0 td San Francisco 49ers / 2nd / 49th pick / 1983
    WR Dwight Clark 29 7 14 61 catches for 794 yards, 2 td San Francisco 49ers / 10th / 249th pick / 1979
    WR Jerry Rice*+ 24 1 15 86 catches for 1,570 yards, 15 td, & 10 rushes for 72 yards and 1 td San Francisco 49ers / 1st / 16th pick / 1985
    TE Russ Francis 33 11 14 41 catches for 505 yards, 1 td New England Patriots / 1st / 16th pick / 1975
    LT Bubba Paris 26 3 9 1 fumble recovered San Francisco 49ers / 2nd / 29th pick / 1982
    LG John Ayers 33 9 14 San Francisco 49ers / 8th / 223rd pick / 1976
    C Fred Quillan 30 8 16 San Francisco 49ers / 7th / 175th pick / 1978
    RG Randy Cross 32 10 16 1 fumble recovered San Francisco 49ers / 2nd / 42nd pick / 1976
    RT Keith Fahnhorst 34 12 16 San Francisco 49ers / 2nd / 35th pick / 1974

Believe.
    Post Count
    No roster showing Clark at TE, No card that reads TE, only game video shows him at WR. That Niner site doesn't even mention him as a TE when talking their best.

Go to anY football forum on out there and start talking Dwight Clark as a TE and you will reaD what Joe said, it will be..........HE WAS NEVER A TIGHT END.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count

Believe.
    Post Count
    We have no judge in this, just the facts. ALL the facts show us that Clark played WR that is why he averaged 13 yards a catch, not even Tony Gonzalaz averaged that. TE 's don't average 13 for a career (Mackey might have way back when) so that right there tells the story.

Blake, you goofed and all this because you will NEVER EVER....ok ok I was wrong.

Believe.
    Post Count
    This off the Niners site.

Talking the franchise best TE's

However, while looking through the 49ers history, I noticed that there really haven't been that many great tight ends wearing the red, white and gold. As I've said repeatedly, I think Vernon Davis will reach that elite level at some point, but until then, the compe ion at the all-time TE position is scarce. Accordingly, I've decided to not even hold a vote. Simply put, Brent Jones is the best tight end in 49ers history and it's not all that close. Jones leads all 49ers tight ends in receptions, yards, touchdowns and Pro Bowl appearances and ranks in the top among all 49ers receivers in receptions, yards and touchdowns.

While Jones was never overrated as a tight end, I don't think he would qualify as underrated. I can't imagine anybody not recognizing the talent of Brent Jones and his major contributions during the 49ers glory days. He earned 3 Super Bowl rings and made four trips to the Pro Bowl. The 49ers had great receivers in Rice and Taylor and a great rushing/receiving threat in Roger Craig, but the importance of Jones to the West Coast offense is considerable. Throw in a streak of 125 consecutive games and you've got not only a franchise great, but an all-time great.

Honorable Mentions
    : Like I said, there is not a lot in the way of tight end talent in 49ers history. Ted Kwalick was a 3-time Pro Bowler at tight end in the early 70s, while Russ Francis was the primary TE and immediate predecessor of Brent Jones. I really thought Eric Johnson might have worked his way onto this type of list, but injuries have derailed him and now he's off in New Orleans. If Vernon Davis can continue to improve (he did improve his receptions and yards from year 1 to year 2), I don't see why he won't pass Brent Jones in the 49ers record books. Davis is a receiving tight end who is immensely athletic and could become the primary target of Smith/Hill/whomever. But that's an argument for another day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The reason Clark isn't even an honorable mention is because.......................................HE WASN'T A TE~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rookies sheesh~~~~~~~~~~~~

Believe.
    Post Count
    I get this.....let's mess with Avant......but don't look stupid doing it.

Look people, there are TONS of Niner game video out there, just watch one...BINGO...there it is right there. Now watch games from 80-87....you won't find any game where he was the starting TE, that will not happen. Did he come in tight a few times....yep...does that make him a TE...nope. Did Jimmy Gragam go out wide, does that make him a WR, of course not.

Why act ing goofy over this?

I'm a Niner fan, can talk Niners nobody here has ever heard of, I'm not going to know where Dwight Clark played, , saw ALL his games.

Believe.
    Post Count
    Best overall was Vernon Davis, but Dwight Clark will always be remembered as better for being clutch. Kittle has a ton of potential, though.
    A Niner fan who doesn't know Clark was not a TE.....wow~~~~

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count

Thread Information