Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I just use cell phones only.
    When I first looked into magicJack, I only considered it for use when I wanted to save on my cellphone "minutes" - and that was last year! Now, because of the LAW regarding cellphone use while driving, I have my cellphone calls forwarded to my magicJack number. I will not be tempted to answer a call while zipping along on the freeway just so the Highway Patrol copper can spot me holding something to my ear and hold me up. I can always use my cellphone to call my magicJack number for any messages when I have no other distractions around me & I can handle business details effectively when I have both hands & eyes available, too. Have you ever found yourself behind someone on a cellphone who just will not get out of your way? It happens on the road and even in the supermarket (someone driving a cart with groceries, yaking on the phone, & hogging up the middle of the isle without regard to others trying to get by). I'll bet, now that you've read this part, you'll start noticing this happening to you, too.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Anyone able to use this with an alarm company I have ADT and it needs a phone line.
    I would not recommend using magicJack for an Alarm System that is monitored by an Alarm Company.

The Alarm Company needs to have a dedicated phone line for direct communications 24/7. That phone line should not be shared for voice calls because the alarm panel WILL cut you off to make data communications whenever it needs to without regard to how important your phone call was. The newer Alarm Systems now have cellphone technology to avoid wire cutting attacks but are also more expensive to monitor.

You have to decide what is more important; your life & property OR trying to save a few bucks on telephone costs in monitoring. (Besides, most alarm panels will protest when their telephone line has lost a connection and that will happen whenever you shut down the computer hosting the magicJack).

PS: This is also true for elevator cars (all elevators have an emergency call "box"). Don't even think about using a magicJack for the elevator systems.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just an FYI - I just cancelled my Magic Jack service. This was possibly the worst Voip service I have ever tried to use. I had NO calls that both parties could hear or understand the other! When you GO cheap, you GET cheap.
    You are absolutely correct. I will give an example of how cheap it can be: My In-Laws use Brightport in Florida. They have their TV, Phone Service, and Internet all supplied by the same company. When I was visiting with them, I noticed that when the kids were at school, the phones Voice Quality was excellent. But the minute the kids came in from school, they were immediately on their computers doing their chats On-Line and playing internet games. When I was actually on the phone before they came in, I had perfect quality phone connection until they got On-Line... My words were cutting off and my sentenences made no sence to the others on the other side of the line.

So, it is true! You get what you pay for... If you pay less for the lower download speeds, you will get slower talk speeds, too. The magicJack also states that it will not work on dial-up internet connections.

Do your research and you will make informed decisions.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just got magic jack. It IS GREAT (soon to be ex-wife ran my phone bill up to $1,000 + but thanks to magic jack...) Now I have a question and an idea. Question, how does the voice box work. No luck making it work yet, supposedly I can leave my own "Hi, you have reached (xxx) xxx-xxxx I am not able to speak with you just now but if..." just by typing my phone number and pressing * Problem is when I do it asks for my password. I DO enter it correctly but it says otherwise. What the...??? and also...idea. If you have a wireless internet connection via a laptop (as opposed to my only PC, a desktop) you have a phone that goes anyplace and makes calls for SUPER CHEAP, so maybe someone can figure out how to condense all that needed tech into JUST a cell phone. A cell phone so designed would allow you to make these nice free (or nearly so) calls without hauling around the laptop. Honestly I have never owned a cell phone but unless cell phone regular rates are ALREADY free, or nearly so, it seems that would be a vast improvement over all of the above.

could it have anything to do with the fact that I am using a cordless phone with magic jack? (hope not)
    I'll bet you must have blurted out something about wanting to take care of her during your courtship. It's amazing how women will remember these little comments guys will make during the heat of passion (considered to be temporary insanity) and women will try to hold a guy to this by commiting acts that require a guy to respond. (i.e. raking up a $1000 phone bill knowing the guy will have to pay for it.)

As for magicJack, keep it away from her. Let her get her own phone in her own name and you can bet she will not rake up a huge phone bill again. Don't even mention magicJack to her because you will not want to share the cost-cutting benefits with someone who has no intentions of letting you slip through her fingers without getting as much money out of you as possible. Why would she be doing this? Do you remember saying you would take care of her before getting married? She wants herself to be taken care of, now and forever. It's "until death do you part" or find a way to get into the "Witness Protection Pogram." Good luck!

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Also I have sent a few complaints through the form on their site about it not working unless I reboot, I keep getting the same exact response, giving a bunch of steps to reinstall and shut down programs that might be interferring with it!?!, if it can't work
    with other software running what good is it? Basically they have all sent the same reply, obviously it is a preprinted reply they send out, have gotten it back three times from three different people, exactly the same, and of no help, it just has commen sense stuff that any idiot would have already done, except for shutting down your other software.
    I agree with you. The magicJack uses up computer resources that my other applications often need immediately. Also, I'm in the middle of typing up something and the magicJack dialing pad pops up right in front of me totally ignoring the rest of what I was typing away. I would have to battle with my computer to make it do what I want it to do.

But I fixed all that. Go see my first post up above regarding the use of a Thin Client computer. The magicJack works 24/7 and it frees up my laptop AND my desktop so that I am not bothered with pop-ups anymore. I'm no longer interrupted by things going on in the background, either. It's a big difference.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Is this forum run by majic jack?
    Indirectly! Those of us who have been brain-washed into thinking magicJack is a wonderful "God-Send" device because we found a way to make it work to our "deceptively bent desires" are the ones behind this covert action. The magicJack "dongle" must be emitting a freqency that had mind altering effects that could be the root cause for dominating this forum.

Try to watch "Monster Within Us" on the History Channel and the NatGeo cable channel. They talk about tapeworms, etc. If they exist, is it possible that magicJack could really be behind all this, too?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yes! ...and there is also unlimited 411 calls, too! Plus there are no taxes being charged for the 911 services. Check your phone bill and add up all those tiny tax charges. I cannot find any of those same tax charges on my magicJack phone bill either. NO, Wait! There is NO magicJack phone bill. Just a license bill for either $19.95 for one year or $59 for 5 years. Should I buy in bulk?
    I have not been able to dial a 3-way call. That's what 3-way is to me, Me being able to dial out to a third party.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics
    I just renewed my MJ service. I was in an old building that had 1960's cable wire in it. I now have new cable wire and the MJ is working very well, my only complaint is 9!! service, but that is just how it is. Most of my early problems were network problems, not MJ problems, since my cable was upgraded I have no complaints,I have been using the service over a year now

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How about paying 20 bucks a year for all the calls you
    want and have the ability to call from any computer.
    Not a joke or gimmick and I am not a salesman for them
    but this what they promise.

magic Jack Link

By the way I haven't tried this, but I am going to try it.
    30 day free trial. What can you lose?
    Okay, looks like the next step is on the way. I have to wonder though,
    how long before AT&T, Verizon, Virgin and the rest hit the courts to stop
    it.

MagicJack's next act: disappearing cell phone fees

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/us_tec...show_magicjack

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    magic jack works. I am using it for my family overseas. No long distance fees ever again

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I actually just bought one of these at Best Buy along with a new cordless phone with extra handsets, will give my opinion soon.
    ive done all kinds of testing with no problems whatsoever.
    So is it still working well? I would joke in this thread but I'm thinking of getting one. My cell phone will be my main phone but want a back up for home or to give out to people I don't want having my cell phone number.

Any real spurstalk members try it?

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Miami Heat
    Guys,

For me the magicJack has worked really really well. I got rid of my landline because I mostly use my cell and it wasn't worth it to pay for the landline, but I was short on minutes randomly because I would have months here and there where I would have several long calls to family... The magicJack fixed this problem because I just use it when I'm at home and its gonna be a long call.

I couldn't be happier.

If you want more info you should check out the site I found that convinced me to get it. This site even provides a secret customer service number for those that need to get help with their magic Jack. It's http://www.thevoiphub.com/category/magic-jack/
    Last edited by markarnold; 03-09-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Miami Heat
    Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that I do have problems every once in a while. Sometimes the magic Jack cuts out but I've learned to deal with it since its only costing me $20 for the whole year.

let me know if you have any other questions, I've been using it for about 6 months now and have gotten pretty well versed in it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    Oh I forgot about this winner of a thread.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So is it still working well? I would joke in this thread but I'm thinking of getting one. My cell phone will be my main phone but want a back up for home or to give out to people I don't want having my cell phone number.

Any real spurstalk members try it?
    Been using it now for 8 months. No real issues as long as the PC is on. Only thing that kind of sucks is that when you dial you have to add the area code also. So I'm dialing 210 before every call. Granted I hardly call from it.

Also is kind of cool that if you are on a call and put them on hold for another call the person holding hears music while they wait.....freak me out when that happen to me. Also voice mails go to my email which is push to my cell so I can here them no matter where I'm at.

Thread Information