PDA

View Full Version : Derrick White

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2018, 11:09 PM
The 4th best guard on the Spurs, maybe 3rd.

It's a shame Pop is treating him like he did Simmons, Splitter, DeJounte in their rookie years.

He's better than Tony, better than Patty, better than Forbes and Paul.

Give the kid the role he deserves.

dabom
03-02-2018, 11:10 PM
You gotta stop being a faggot for once. :lmao

SAGirl
03-02-2018, 11:21 PM
I think they need Paddy to spearhead their tank (if that's what they are doing, at this point i don't know). Tanking teams play their rookies...

BTW He scored 38 pts with 7 assists in the gleague last night, had 5 made 3s and drew fouls... brought the Spurs back for a win from down 13.

K...
03-02-2018, 11:31 PM
Green, manu, Murray, White, patty tank, Forbes...ok

I've said in other threads, half that list will be gone next year so white should get a spot. If green goes the two spot will be brutally thin, but we just gotta see. Trade paddy, glue Parker to the bench and hope for a good 2 is probably our best hope.

sananspursfan21
03-02-2018, 11:42 PM
That’s not what NBA 2k says....

MaNu4Tres
03-03-2018, 12:19 AM
I think they need Paddy to spearhead their tank (if that's what they are doing, at this point i don't know). Tanking teams play their rookies...

BTW He scored 38 pts with 7 assists in the gleague last night, had 5 made 3s and drew fouls... brought the Spurs back for a win from down 13.

Don't forget the defense. I know Spurs fans have grown accustomed to having guards like Tony & Patty that can't defend -- but I suggest fans start looking on that end of the court. I tried to tell people on here that's part of the massive value DeJounte brings for over a year now and it seems some are finally starting to realize the significant value it adds.

dabom
03-03-2018, 12:20 AM
I've been on Dejounte for 2 seasons now. Your faggot ass trying to take credit for the past couple of months. :lmao

dabom
03-03-2018, 12:23 AM
Stick to "uncle" takes. :lmao

dabom
03-03-2018, 12:27 AM
You can stick to this guy though. You got this one. :lol

MaNu4Tres
03-03-2018, 12:29 AM
I've been on Dejounte for 2 seasons now. Your faggot ass trying to take credit for the past couple of months. :lmao

Ive been on DeJounte since Day 1. Ask around, bud.

dabom
03-03-2018, 12:30 AM
Ive been on DeJounte since Day 1. Ask around, bud.

No you haven't faggot. :lmao

SAGirl
03-03-2018, 12:37 AM
dabom is so immature... "I saw him first" :rollin
That's irrelevant.

Point is Paddy is playing upwards of 30 minutes and sucking. White surely could have played more this season. Pop is definitely not going to play him at this point it looks like and he has shown enough in very very few minutes to be encouraged that he will be a nice roleplayer... probably better than Paddy and Forbes already.

dabom
03-03-2018, 12:40 AM
dabom is so immature... "I saw him first" :rollin
That's irrelevant.

Point is Paddy is playing upwards of 30 minutes and sucking. White surely could have played more this season. Pop is definitely not going to play him at this point it looks like and he has shown enough in very very few minutes to be encouraged that he will be a nice roleplayer... probably better than Paddy and Forbes already.

He is not better than MVPatty you dumb fuck. Anyone saying that shows the lack of basketball knowledge. :lol

SAGirl
03-03-2018, 12:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPurO6p9bw

MaNu4Tres
03-03-2018, 12:48 AM

Top 4 guard on the roster.

Better than Eddie House 2.0.

SAGirl
03-03-2018, 12:50 AM
He is not better than MVPatty you dumb fuck. Anyone saying that shows the lack of basketball knowledge. :lol
back at ya with the slur...

Chinook
03-03-2018, 12:52 AM
Really do like White. Only good thing about Danny leaving would be being able to see what Derrick could do next to Murray.

MaNu4Tres
03-03-2018, 12:55 AM
Really do like White. Only good thing about Danny leaving would be being able to see what Derrick could do next to Murray.

I can see him as the lead guard off the bench -- I see some Eric Gordon but with better play making ability as a lead guard. Better D too.

He's miles better than Patty & Tony. It's a shame he's getting the rookie treatment.

dabom
03-03-2018, 12:59 AM
Consistently wrong about most of the shit you say. :lmao

Day one. :lmao

Mr. Body
03-03-2018, 01:01 AM

He has nice vision. Maybe better than Parker and Mills, certainly better than Murray.

Leetonidas
03-03-2018, 01:01 AM
Im a fan of white tbh and agree with you. I hate Pops I'm not gonna play rookies schtick

SAGirl
03-03-2018, 01:25 AM
The 4th best guard on the Spurs, maybe 3rd.

It's a shame Pop is treating him like he did Simmons, Splitter, DeJounte in their rookie years.

He's better than Tony, better than Patty, better than Forbes and Paul.

Give the kid the role he deserves.
:pop: "It wouldn't be fair to those guys".
"He hasn't gotten over himself yet"

You know what is really, really surprising. At one point, Pop was playing Darrun Hilliard a 2 way contract guy while leaving Derrick in a suit, not played. I am speculating they liked Hilliard, he has played well in the dleague too and he's going to be an UFA this summer. They have to see if they pick him up as a depth signing or not... so I figured ok that is why they played HIlliard... but really he could have easily gotten minutes that went to Hilliard, Brandon Paul (who had a lot of opportunities for a rook and just completely fell out) and some of Forbes. And right now there is no reason Paddy needs to be playing 37 minutes.

Chris
03-03-2018, 03:23 AM
:pop:: "This season isn't for Derrick." "We will evaluate his role in the offseason after our 2nd round exit." "I can't make rational decisions while we have a maniac in the White House."

duncan2150
03-03-2018, 03:30 AM
I don’t understand why he’s not playing, last Time he played he was decent against GS and then disappears ....

Nathan89
03-03-2018, 03:35 AM

Beautiful. And I've been on White since before day 1 so I can't wait to play that card. :lol

Atl Spur
03-03-2018, 03:36 AM
Pop is making sure his confidence/development isn’t stunted. Learning/getting acclimated without pressure or expectation is good for a rookie. Just like most sports rookies require that time to develop....

Stabula
03-03-2018, 03:55 AM
:pop: "I don't know what the fuck I'm doing."

r0drig0lac
03-03-2018, 05:31 AM

Harden esque

picnroll
03-03-2018, 08:34 AM
Fatty’s awesome defense and clutch shooting will lead us to the lottery. Have faith in Fatty. Don’t play White, we can’t afford any wins.

picnroll
03-03-2018, 08:48 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259952&page=2&p=8644581#post8644581

Im seeing Russ, SAGirl, Raybies and Benefactor first showing interest in DJ. Not seeing dumb bomb there.

weebo
03-03-2018, 09:01 AM
Patty Mills would drop 100 on those gleague scrubs :lol

Chinook
03-03-2018, 09:07 AM

You mean that he would allow a 100 FG%?

K...
03-03-2018, 09:11 AM

But would he ever learn to drive to the basket? The knock on Mills is that he is a one way one skill player who lacks size. He's the same player he was when it was him and Cory Joseph fighting for minutes. White already has more basketball skill and size.

picnroll
03-03-2018, 09:22 AM
Fatty can’t create for others, can’t create well for himself, doesn’t stress the defense, can’t defend, can’t rebound, can’t shoot consistently. Other than that he’s outstanding. Does a great dinner.

MaNu4Tres
03-03-2018, 09:44 AM
Fatty can’t create for others, can’t create well for himself, doesn’t stress the defense, can’t defend, can’t rebound, can’t shoot consistently. Other than that he’s outstanding. Does a great dinner.

It's been this way for 6 seasons. That's why some of us were disgusted when he signed the 50 million dollar deal.

dabom
03-03-2018, 09:52 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259952&page=2&p=8644581#post8644581

Im seeing Russ, SAGirl, Raybies and Benefactor first showing interest in DJ. Not seeing dumb bomb there.

Talking about every prosect doesn't make it a take you dumb fuck. I'm pretty sure I can find 30 other threads like that. :lmao

His church is where the real takes are.

TheGreatYacht
03-03-2018, 10:11 AM
OP has Manure being a Top 3 guard :lol that's all I needed to read to know this thread is full of shit. He's a net negative player and a shit defender. Only Mills and Forbes are worse.

TheGreatYacht
03-03-2018, 10:13 AM
I hate Mills as much as the next guy, but he's better than Manure (and it isn't close). Show me the numbers if you think otherwise, Mexicans. I'm here for it.

r0drig0lac
03-03-2018, 10:16 AM
OP has Manure being a Top 3 guard :lol that's all I needed to read to know this thread is full of shit. He's a net negative player and a shit defender. Only Mills and Forbes are worse.

I hate Mills as much as the next guy, but he's better than Manure (and it isn't close). Show me the numbers if you think otherwise, Mexicans. I'm here for it.

?

picnroll
03-03-2018, 10:27 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261638&highlight=Church+murray
Dumb Bomb certainly not first to the party and the dumb shit thought Murray should start from day 1. Per usual zero insightful takes from the cretin.

TheGreatYacht
03-03-2018, 10:33 AM
?
Only Mills and Forbes are worse defenders*

Which is expected. Both those guys and Parker have to guard starting point guards every game which is the most skilled position in the league. Manure otoh still manages to get torched by SG's which is the weakest, and backups at that.

dabom
03-03-2018, 11:18 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261638&highlight=Church+murray
Dumb Bomb certainly not first to the party and the dumb shit thought Murray should start from day 1. Per usual zero insightful takes from the cretin.

I am on page two. And I absolutely loved it. Gave my take and been on him since and publicly too. :lol

Im watching the draft live and not on my computer. :lmao

dabom
03-03-2018, 11:20 AM
Even the first Dejounte Avi, faggot. :lmao

dabom
03-03-2018, 11:22 AM
First person to say to start him. :lmao

dabom
03-03-2018, 11:24 AM
I saw his full potential and was the first person to say start him. That's a take, faggot. :lmao

Atl Spur
03-03-2018, 01:28 PM
Yo, he called it........we get it. All that faggot calling is clown shit! Get yourself together

Nathan89
03-03-2018, 01:55 PM
Seems like most like White now. Seems like yesterday when this forum was :cryJordan Bell:cry.

picnroll
03-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Calling for a rookie draft pick with many serious flaws and a need to work on his game to start for a contending team is just more stupid shit from a dumdass poster. Many here saw Murray’s potential and a bright future dumb bomb, but intelligent posters also saw his significant areas of need for improvement before he got serious minutes. Now if you made a case it’d be better to give him some of the turd Fatty’s minutes you might have had a case.

dabom
03-03-2018, 02:01 PM
Calling for a rookie draft pick with many serious flaws and a need to work on his game to start for a contending team is just more stupid shit from a dumdass poster. Many here saw Murray’s potential and a bright future dumb bomb, but intelligent posters also saw his significant areas of need for improvement before he got serious minutes. Now if you made a case it’d be better to give him some of the turd Fatty’s minutes you might have had a case.

Well Porker gave us 6 games of the worst player ever in a series vs the Clips. He was already better than porker then. So yes, I did call it for a reason. :lmao

I also saw his potential to porkers decline and called for it. I don't say stupid shit here and I'm mostly always proven right. :lol

dabom
03-03-2018, 02:04 PM
Trying to debate one of the Elite Posters here. :lol

dabom
03-03-2018, 02:06 PM
Porker also didnt do shit vs OKC and been an injury prone pussy. It was time.

dabom
03-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Porker also went down last summer when everyone knows he's a soft Charmin player. :lol

sasaint
03-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Select rookie stats for recent 1st Round picks who joined the Spurs for their rookie seasons:

Cory Joseph (2011-12): GP - 29; MPG - 9.2
Kyle Anderson (2014-15): GP - 33; MPG - 10.8
Dejounte Murray (2016-17): GP - 38; MPG - 8.5
Derrick White (2017-18): GP - 16; MPG - 7.5

I have wondered most of the season why Pop was giving DWhite the freeze.

SAGirl
03-03-2018, 02:30 PM
Seems like most like White now. Seems like yesterday when this forum was :cryJordan Bell:cry.
They have needed a big and still do. But Derrick, absent that consideration, was a solid pick at his slot.

SAGirl
03-03-2018, 03:58 PM
I hope they don't lose Danny, I really hope he stays.
But Spurs having to account for the supermax soon + the summer deals they gave, I have no idea in what shape they find themselves and who they want to get this summer in FA vs whether they have some backup plans to resign their guys. It's really unpredictable to me and Danny deserves to get paid.

Chinook
03-03-2018, 04:15 PM
As I've said many times, it seems like PATFO were completely expect Danny to be gone this summer. That's the only way to explain White, Paul, Hanga and Simmons all being shown interest. Unlike some posters on ST, I imagine that Pop knows he can't just expect a random player to come in and do what Danny has done over the past seven seasons. Getting four guys who all have different strengths and levels of experience was the best way to start a competition. Paul opting for the trade looks like it caught the team by surprise (as it did most fans, I think). Then missing out on Kyrie by being unable to trade LMA for Jackson sank that opportunity. They'd likely already secured a deal with Paul at the time and thought they'd have more money for Hanga too.

One of the reasons Green may have gotten a new agent is because the Spurs have told him that if he opts out, he's gone. It would be a really, really shitty thing for Pop to do one summer after giving Mills and Pau big money, but being shitty to Green has never bothered Pop before. Whether Danny stays on the bench or comes back as a starter, he could be an impact player for the teams for years still, but at some point, the team is going to have to change the guard, so not paying Danny loyalty money isn't inherently bad. If they can clean up their cap by summer 2019 while giving their young guys real rotation spots, it could be the key to winning another title. I just don't have a ton of faith that PATFO are looking at this correctly, and if they let Danny go, it will just be because they truly think Mills is a more important player to the roster going forward. And that's fucking dumb.

vy65
03-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Can’t even begin to think about the thought process behind letting Green go but giving Mills long term cash.

Nathan89
03-03-2018, 04:32 PM
If Green leaves and I have to watch Mills for three more seasons. :shootme

sasaint
03-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Can’t even begin to think about the thought process behind letting Green go but giving Mills long term cash.

You kidding? Danny drinks Mad Dog 20/20.

Chris
03-03-2018, 04:51 PM
If Green leaves and I have to watch Mills for three more seasons. :shootme

Other teams strategy:

1.)Run pick and rolls at Mill
2.)Repeat

Russ
03-03-2018, 05:05 PM

Talking about every prosect doesn't make it a take you dumb fuck. I'm pretty sure I can find 30 other threads like that. :lmao

His church is where the real takes are.

As far as DJ goes, I called it pretty early.

I called for the Spurs to draft him on May 13, 2016, in Dejounte Murray's Think Tank thread over a month before the draft. Didn't talk about any others:

www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259952

First in.

This is the guy -- Spurs need to try everything to get him.

Then I called for him to be drafted again on May 19, 2016 over a month before the draft in the "Who would you try for at #29" thread:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260837&page=2&p=8596768&viewfull=1#post8596768

The Spurs need to draft Dejounte Murray of Washington.

http://www.nbadraft.net/files/players/DejounteMurray.gif

Height: 6-5
Weight: 170 lbs
Date of Birth: 09/19/1996
School: Washington

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dejounte-Murray-7309/)

NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/dejounte-murray)

NBADraft.net gives him a 94. The only categories below 8 are strength (he's 19 & will get stronger), leadership (he's 19), NBA ready (he's 19) and jump shot (Chip can fix).

In other words all of his weaknesses will go away.

He has the potential to play great D, he can get to the rack (moves are incredible), he can pass like Manu and he's athletic as hell. (See the videos on NBADraft.net for some ungodly fakes.)

He's the prototypical "new" NBA guard that all great teams must now have.

Need to move up to about 14-15 to do it -- just like they did with Kawhi.

Then bring over Bertans.

I was in early and didn't talk about any other players in that draft.

In Daboom's defense however, after the Spurs drafted Dejounte, he jumped on board pretty quick in the "Church" thread.

TheGreatYacht
03-03-2018, 05:40 PM
Both should be sent to China.

BackHome
03-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Yeah but Daboom also jumped on the Mills Bandwagon too. Lol

TD 21
03-03-2018, 06:06 PM
I'll concede there's been some potentially ominous signs regarding Green, but this board has a long history of freaking out over Spurs losing players they were clearly not going to lose and I still maintain that's more than likely the case here.

Green is as much a Spur as Mills is and is obviously more valuable and difficult to replace. If they were clearly only willing to lose Mills if he was collateral damage in a Paul signing and there's no shooting guard even close to that level that's available and they won't have the flexibility to adequately replace Green anyway, it would stand to reason that they'd be dead set on retaining him.

I don't buy that White was picked as a replacement because they're not comparable. His long term role is probably that of a Ginobili replacement. The problem is creating a path to that sometime soon. A Walker trade would do the trick, but I'm starting to suspect they won't even pursue that. Outside of that, it's either attempt to salary dump Mills or continue to diminish Parker's role to the point where he'd rather retire after next season.

sasaint
03-03-2018, 06:24 PM
I'll concede there's been some potentially ominous signs regarding Green, but this board has a long history of freaking out over Spurs losing players they were clearly not going to lose and I still maintain that's more than likely the case here.

Green is as much a Spur as Mills is and is obviously more valuable and difficult to replace. If they were clearly only willing to lose Mills if he was collateral damage in a Paul signing and there's no shooting guard even close to that level that's available and they won't have the flexibility to adequately replace Green anyway, it would stand to reason that they'd be dead set on retaining him.

I don't buy that White was picked as a replacement because they're not comparable. His long term role is probably that of a Ginobili replacement. The problem is creating a path to that sometime soon. A Walker trade would do the trick, but I'm starting to suspect they won't even pursue that. Outside of that, it's either attempt to salary dump Mills or continue to diminish Parker's role to the point where he'd rather retire after next season.

I don't like the idea of losing Danny, and I doubt that PATFO really wants that, either. However, the reckless spending last summer may have sealed Danny's fate.

I don't see DWhite in any particular role, and I doubt PATFO did when they picked him. I don't think he would ever be an energizer like Manu which I think we definitely need off the bench. Maybe PATFO thought of him as Dijon insurance, or maybe he was just next on their draft board.

I expect Milutinov and Hanga to come over next season. (Pop must be pining for some Euro company.) And I hope that Blossomgame can graduate from Austin. So there are those possible pieces going forward

objective
03-03-2018, 06:49 PM
Spurs would be better off with Green on 4/50 than Mills.

TD 21
03-03-2018, 08:49 PM
I don't like the idea of losing Danny, and I doubt that PATFO really wants that, either. However, the reckless spending last summer may have sealed Danny's fate.

I don't see DWhite in any particular role, and I doubt PATFO did when they picked him. I don't think he would ever be an energizer like Manu which I think we definitely need off the bench. Maybe PATFO thought of him as Dijon insurance, or maybe he was just next on their draft board.

I expect Milutinov and Hanga to come over next season. (Pop must be pining for some Euro company.) And I hope that Blossomgame can graduate from Austin. So there are those possible pieces going forward

Teams plan ahead. It's not like they were unaware that Green, barring a career altering injury, was going to opt out. Besides, they already showed what their plan was last off season: unless they can land a superstar or close, maintain as much of the core as possible.

White won't be an energizer like Ginobili, but outside of that, he's close enough to an archetype.

Hanga is probably never coming over and I believe Milutinov can wait one more season and will no longer be bound by the rookie scale (though how much, if any, more he's worth, is a question mark).

sasaint
03-03-2018, 09:09 PM
Teams plan ahead. It's not like they were unaware that Green, barring a career altering injury, was going to opt out. Besides, they already showed what their plan was last off season: unless they can land a superstar or close, maintain as much of the core as possible.

White won't be an energizer like Ginobili, but outside of that, he's close enough to an archetype.

Hanga is probably never coming over and I believe Milutinov can wait one more season and will no longer be bound by the rookie scale (though how much, if any, more he's worth, is a question mark).

Very good point. But even the best laid plans...

However, they clearly were not planning on Patty's becoming such a completely unreliable shooter. They may have expected to have an asset that they could trade this offseason for a reasonable return. Or maybe they simply preferred Patty to Danny, and they ended up backing the wrong horse. I am speculating here, because this awful season has wrecked whatever plan I might have been able to identify.

objective
03-04-2018, 12:13 AM
Austin Spurs will be on Fox Sports on Sunday.

Hopefully White will be there playing.

It'll be great to see the player that Pop will lie about next year like Splitter.

"We wanted to get him time as a rookie, but the was just hurt the whole year." - :pop:

Budkin
03-04-2018, 12:25 AM
Austin Spurs will be on Fox Sports on Sunday.

Hopefully White will be there playing.

It'll be great to see the player that Pop will lie about next year like Splitter.

"We wanted to get him time as a rookie, but the was just hurt the whole year." - :pop:

I think it was "It wouldn't be fair to the other guys."

objective
03-04-2018, 01:02 AM
I think it was "It wouldn't be fair to the other guys."

While it's true that during Splitter's rookie season that Pop said something like "it wouldn't be fair to the team / other guys", I'm referencing the lies Pop told the SA media unchallenged in the years after.

After Splitter was successful in the next few years, Pop would explain away not playing him as a rookie by lying about Splitter being hurt the whole year and unable to play. While he missed most of camp and later midseason had a brief tailbone injury, he wasn't too hurt to play and contribute. And anyone who watched could tell that he should have played. I actually went through the box scores for that year in a post and found that the vast majority of games Splitter was healthy, cleared, and suited up and either getting garbage time where he played fine or was getting DNP-CDs and on the bench. It was false and the SA media has always been either too dumb or too scared to correct the record.

And because White missed like 3 weeks with a broken bone in November Pop will be free to use that to mislead about White being unavailable.

CGD
03-04-2018, 03:24 PM
All the cap expert types out there keep taking about how this summer is going to be a tight FA market, with little cash and appetite to spend by teams. If that’s true I see a scenario where Danny Green (and Gay) opts-in.

And if that happens I can see the spurs flipping him next year if White and others show progress. I love Danny’s game within the role he’s given, but it feels like some turnover might be needed over the next two seasons as the team reloads.

CGD
03-04-2018, 03:27 PM

It makes sense that the spurs are drafting and bringing in all these combo guards. After all they’re going to likely have to replace both Manu and Danny as early as this summer. Then you have to factor in Tony’s health.

sasaint
03-04-2018, 03:40 PM
All the cap expert types out there keep taking about how this summer is going to be a tight FA market, with little cash and appetite to spend by teams. If that’s true I see a scenario where Danny Green (and Gay) opts-in.

And if that happens I can see the spurs flipping him next year if White and others show progress. I love Danny’s game within the role he’s given, but it feels like some turnover might be needed over the next two seasons as the team reloads.

As far as Danny is concerned, I hope you are right. As far as Rudy is concerned, I hope his health is a non-issue. As far as DWhite is concerned, I am really curious. He is much less athletically gifted than Dijon, but in the G-League he has been very multi-dimensional and showed great, natural PG skill. His passing makes him seem more like a PG than a Danny or Manu replacement.

MaNu4Tres
03-04-2018, 04:05 PM
His passing makes him seem more like a PG than a Danny or Manu replacement.

Positions don't matter. He can play SG and still be a great passer like Manu. I see him as a back up lead guard 6th man type of impact player -- whether thats at the PG or SG position, that is irrelevant.

sasaint
03-04-2018, 04:25 PM
You are mostly right; positions matter less and less, however a PG still has the ball in his hands more than a SG. Regardless, I am accustomed to think of 6th men/leaders of the second unit as energizers, and I am not certain that describes White. But I have seen very little of him. I do think he seems better suited to that role than as a replacement for Danny.

gambit1990
03-04-2018, 04:34 PM
definitely thought he deserved PT after that game he looked good in.

tony's VORP is now -0.3, forbes' is -0.4.

TD 21
03-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Very good point. But even the best laid plans...

However, they clearly were not planning on Patty's becoming such a completely unreliable shooter. They may have expected to have an asset that they could trade this offseason for a reasonable return. Or maybe they simply preferred Patty to Danny, and they ended up backing the wrong horse. I am speculating here, because this awful season has wrecked whatever plan I might have been able to identify.

Mills is shooting .382% from 3, which is 1.1% worse than his career average. His true shooting % is .571, which is 1.2% greater than his career average. Granted, both his career marks would more than likely be higher if not for '14-'15, when he was coming off of shoulder surgery and was clearly not the same, but still.

The point is, he's playing at about the same level he almost always has and the reason the perception is otherwise, is because he's been overextended in a myriad of ways: from too many minutes and P-n-R opportunities, to briefly starting early and now defending shooting guards.

I seriously doubt they preferred Mills to Green and like I said, the plan was clearly to retain as much of the core as possible, barring a superstar or close wanting to sign with them (as if).

sasaint
03-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Mills is shooting .382% from 3, which is 1.1% worse than his career average. His true shooting % is .571, which is 1.2% greater than his career average. Granted, both his career marks would more than likely be higher if not for '14-'15, when he was coming off of shoulder surgery and was clearly not the same, but still.

The point is, he's playing at about the same level he almost always has and the reason the perception is otherwise, is because he's been overextended in a myriad of ways: from too many minutes and P-n-R opportunities, to briefly starting early and now defending shooting guards.

I seriously doubt they preferred Mills to Green and like I said, the plan was clearly to retain as much of the core as possible, barring a superstar or close wanting to sign with them (as if).

Thanks for the stats. Hard to believe. I do not know if there are stats that show such things; but I wonder if his "over-extension" has resulted in a decline in his spot-up percentage. He seems much less reliable on those open spot-ups than I remember in prior years. But you raise an interesting question that has occurred to me just in this latest 2-game experiment of Pop's: if Patty's time/usage returned to closer to his career averages, I wonder if his knack for spot-ups would improve.

objective
03-04-2018, 06:32 PM
Another good game by White today.

UZER
03-04-2018, 07:03 PM

Those stats make the contract even more embarrassing. $50mm :lol

picnroll
03-04-2018, 07:03 PM
White has better court vision than Murray. More of a PG. amazing he doesn’t get PT withe thevSpurs.

south side spur
03-04-2018, 07:18 PM
White has better court vision than Murray. More of a PG. amazing he doesn’t get PT withe thevSpurs.

Exactly, and it’s not even close. And that isn’t even a knock on Murray because White has better vision than all the guards except Ginobili and Parker. He always makes the simple play. He anticipates.

Chinook
03-05-2018, 03:33 AM
I think people are really underestimating the idea that Pop WANTS to run two-PG lineups. It's not just a quirk of the current roster. He built it to be this way, and he put Danny on notice saying he'd be moved in an effort to bring in a PG. There were rumors the year before that too with Conley. I don't think the idea of Murray and White both being PGs and starting bothers Pop in the slightest, and I'm frankly surprised that it bothers so many STers, given how many folks complain about Green not having a good enough floor game. Murray's offensive limitations but a ceiling on what the duo could accomplish, but the idea of having two guards playing interchangably on both ends hardly seems like a cause for concern.

picnroll
03-05-2018, 09:06 AM
I can easily see Murray and White playing together but on offense at this point White would be serving much more as a traditional PG, handling the ball, distributing for others, shooting. At this point White appears to better long and mid range and at the basket. They would be a very nice defensive, rebounding combination. White, Murray, Leonard would be a great perimeter defensive combo provided Leonard is still around and can wipe his ass.

MaNu4Tres
03-05-2018, 09:18 AM

I've mentioned this ad-nauseum to Jeff and a few other SAEN characters.

Mills numbers are identical across the board. What makes him look bad are because of two reasons:

1) Spurs finally have other options besides declining/shell of himself Tony Parker for Patty to compete with. Having better all around and more impactful options, such as Murray and White, have made a lot of the fans aware how bad (overall) Tony and Patty have been in recent years. Seeing that kind of overall impact from DeJounte and Derrick ( in small samples) have helped people realize the glaring warts in the overall game of Tony and Patty. Thank God this has finally happened somewhat (Derrick needs more time).

2. He's getting paid 50 million over 4 years now. Making that kind of money, has only made fans pay more attention to his game. Now fans are realizing how bad he actually is outside of spotting up. Everything else he's below average at. If he was still making 3 million, no one would be complaining.

sasaint
03-05-2018, 09:35 AM
I've mentioned this ad-nauseum to Jeff and a few other SAEN characters.

Mills numbers are identical across the board. What makes him look bad are because of two reasons:

1) Spurs finally have other options besides declining/shell of himself Tony Parker for Patty to compete with. Having better all around and more impactful options, such as Murray and White, have made a lot of the fans aware how bad (overall) Tony and Patty have been in recent years. Seeing that kind of overall impact from DeJounte and Derrick ( in small samples) have helped people realize the glaring warts in the overall game of Tony and Patty. Thank God this has finally happened somewhat (Derrick needs more time).

2. He's getting paid 50 million over 4 years now. Making that kind of money, has only made fans pay more attention to his game. Now fans are realizing how bad he actually is outside of spotting up. Everything else he's below average at. If he was still making 3 million, no one would be complaining.

Good points. But, Patty's spot–up shooting seems to have declined this year. The late game open-gym clank against LA was only the most recent example of his missing such wide-open shots.

pad300
03-05-2018, 09:44 AM
I think people are really underestimating the idea that Pop WANTS to run two-PG lineups. It's not just a quirk of the current roster. He built it to be this way, and he put Danny on notice saying he'd be moved in an effort to bring in a PG. There were rumors the year before that too with Conley. I don't think the idea of Murray and White both being PGs and starting bothers Pop in the slightest, and I'm frankly surprised that it bothers so many STers, given how many folks complain about Green not having a good enough floor game. Murray's offensive limitations but a ceiling on what the duo could accomplish, but the idea of having two guards playing interchangably on both ends hardly seems like a cause for concern.

I agree about Pop, but every coach in the NBA wants to run 2 PG lineups. Provided one of them has the capability to defend actual SG's, it's great... The problem is paying for it, especially with other stars. A decent PG who can defend up is a premium player... add another decent PG, and 2 Stars (Kawhi, LMA), and another decent big, and a decent bench. The salary cap exists and this franchise functions within that structure.

MaNu4Tres
03-05-2018, 09:45 AM
But, Patty's spot–up shooting seems to have declined this year. The late game open-gym clank against LA was only the most recent example of his missing such wide-open shots.

It hasn't. He's in the 97th percentile in spot ups averaging 1.34 ppp -- which makes him in the top 3 in the NBA w/ players over 100 attempts.

You're probably just becoming aware of how streaky he is because of the contract.

sasaint
03-05-2018, 09:50 AM
It hasn't. He's in the 97th percentile in spot ups averaging 1.34 ppp -- which makes him in the top 3 in ther NBA w/ players over 100 attempts.

He's always been very streaky too.

Yeah, thanks for looking that up. I know he has been streaky, but it does seem like his percentage on "big" shots isn't what it was. He has hit some shots every season that fueled big, important runs, and such, that he just hasn't seemed to hit this season. Instead of bringing the crowd to their feet in those big moments, he sends them slumping back in their seats. Perhaps that is just perception, though - and tainted by the whole TURRIBLE season.

SAGirl
03-05-2018, 01:13 PM
It makes sense ... Derrick and Murray not lacking in size and defensive ability makes it a very interesting combination. It would suck to lose Danny to keep Mills though, but we don’t know what’s coming this summer...

SAGirl
03-05-2018, 01:20 PM
It hasn't. He's in the 97th percentile in spot ups averaging 1.34 ppp -- which makes him in the top 3 in the NBA w/ players over 100 attempts.

You're probably just becoming aware of how streaky he is because of the contract.
Think that’s a factor as well as him playing more minutes than ever and being relied on for crunch time minutes in close games. The glaring thing for me is how limited he is everywhere else but shooting. I don’t really want him to take PNR opportunities from Kyle for example yet he gets 3 times as many... and he absolutely kills your defense.

MaNu4Tres
03-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Think that’s a factor as well as him playing more minutes than ever and being relied on for crunch time minutes in close games. The glaring thing for me is how limited he is everywhere else but shooting. I don’t really want him to take PNR opportunities from Kyle for example yet he gets 3 times as many... and he absolutely kills your defense.

Spurs are allowing 109.2 points per 100 possessions when Mills is on the floor, 100.7 points per 100 possessions when he's off. When Mills is on the floor, Spurs morph into the 18th best defense. In the past 4 games, Mills has played more minutes than any other player and Spurs are 1-3 allowing 117 points per game.

Current PG RPM rankings throughout the NBA:

Murray at 19th
White at 40th ( small sample)
Mills at 43rd
Parker at 78th

SAGirl
03-05-2018, 02:04 PM
Spurs are allowing 109.2 points per 100 possessions when Mills is on the floor, 100.7 points per 100 possessions when he's off. When Mills is on the floor, Spurs morph into the 18th best defense. In the past 4 games, Mills has played more minutes than any other player and Spurs are 1-3 allowing 117 points per game.

Current PG RPM rankings throughout the NBA:

Murray at 19th
White at 40th ( small sample)
Mills at 43rd
Parker at 78th
Tony has been really bad. Pop is a lot more judicious in how he plays him. He’s getting his minutes cut if he’s a TO machine, he’s not closing games and he has been demoted. Bc of his smaller role he’s now not getting a lot of heat but if he was still starting and closing games etc., ppl would complain about how hard he has fallen. Ideally I want him to retire. He doesn’t want to and won’t so maybe he doesn’t get overrelied on anymore and gets a small vet deal, but Spurs would still be tied up with Mills/Tony for many years...

MaNu4Tres
03-05-2018, 02:16 PM

The bolded is just dumb rationale. I really don't think Pop is that narrow minded to think " Patty is great at spot up shooting. He need to play 35 minutes to get our offense going." That's like dabom saying, "I made a DeJounte thread a year ago, I should take RCs job and take all of his responsibilities." There's several other factors of the game that need to be considered when making decisions. Can Pop be that narrow minded to ignore the other aspects? He is extremely smart, so that's doubtful. Then again, he's probably one of the most stubborn coaches in the NBA when it comes to his vets -- no coach comes close.

Patty needs to be a 15 minute spark plug and nothing more. However, I'm afraid if Pop were to demote him (like he should), it would be sub optimal for his value headed into the summer as it would handcuff them in negotiations. Having him in a larger role right now would increase the amount of factual ammunition Spurs would have at their disposal to discuss during negotiations -- it optimizes his perception and value. The best Spurs can hope for is trading him without attaching a 1st round pick and maybe taking back a salary that has 1 or 2 years left. If Spurs were to demote him and play Murray more, and give White more burn, then it would likely cement the fact that the Spurs would have to include maybe 2 first rounders to get rid of him.

SAGirl
03-05-2018, 02:37 PM
The bolded is just dumb rationale.
Not sure it's dumb rationale. Pop has been waffling with his rotations all season but at least we all thought he was still trying to win games. So what's going on now? Legit and honest question. Is he not worried anymore about losing games? Is Patty not going to be exposed more as a PG who cannot win games in such a large role? I am not sure the Spurs can fool anybody about him, but there can be teams out there that just need an elite spot up shooter and can return him to a smaller spot up role and don't care about anything else. He's overpaid for a small role of that nature but maybe a good opportunity arises. I am not sure Spurs don't want him back. We will have to see what happens.

spurraider21
03-05-2018, 04:34 PM
there is a middle ground between danny green and a point guard, when it comes to ability to put the ball on the floor

Chinook
03-05-2018, 05:01 PM
there is a middle ground between danny green and a point guard, when it comes to ability to put the ball on the floor

Green's not as far off the average as people are suggesting. He's able and more importantly willing to do more than just spot up. Folks still complaining act like he's the opposite of Murray and Anderson, but he's not. You want someone to make flashy moves with the ball in the half-court, you want a PG, not a two-guard. Of course, most teams don't have all three perimeter players with great floor games, so even when Green didn't have a better game off the dribble, the criticism was still unwarranted.

MaNu4Tres
03-05-2018, 05:21 PM
Since players of all positions come with all different skillsets, when are we going to start labeling the player by their skillsets instead of by their labeled position?

Spurs need another strong PnR initiator/play-maker from the perimeter with the starters and off the bench (that can come from any position on the perimeter -- not just PG). Murray has begun to show improvement and has been more effective in this area the past 5 weeks with the starters, but they'll need him to keep improving further. White shows good ability in the PnR, but Pop has pretty much made his decision with him this year.

You want someone that can put pressure on the rim from the PnR, creating open opportunities for teammates in the half court -- that isn't just a labeled PG, it can be a SG ( like White) or a SF (Kawhi).

Ditty
03-05-2018, 07:16 PM
White is going to be a good NBA player just because he can shoot.

Imagine Brogdon & White as our future back court :depressed.

TD 21
03-05-2018, 07:40 PM

Too much overlap and not in a good way for a starting back court. You need 2 dynamic perimeter players in this league now and neither of them are that. They're the type who compliment those types.

MaNu4Tres
03-05-2018, 07:46 PM
Derrick has been working his tail off all year. He has a personal trainer with him to make sure he's getting in 2-3 hours of shooting everyday (outside of game days).

I've notice an improvement in his stroke in recent months.

spurraider21
03-05-2018, 07:54 PM

murray and white fit very well together too, in theory

dabom
03-05-2018, 07:56 PM
murray and white fit very well together too, in theory

What theory? :lol

spurraider21
03-05-2018, 07:59 PM
What theory? :lol
its only in theory because we haven't seen it in practice yet.

their games complement each other quite well

dabom
03-05-2018, 08:01 PM
its only in theory because we haven't seen it in practice yet.

their games complement each other quite well

One of them needs to shot the three. Your theory is dumb as fuck. :lol

sasaint
03-05-2018, 08:04 PM
Tony has been really bad. Pop is a lot more judicious in how he plays him. He’s getting his minutes cut if he’s a TO machine, he’s not closing games and he has been demoted. Bc of his smaller role he’s now not getting a lot of heat but if he was still starting and closing games etc., ppl would complain about how hard he has fallen. Ideally I want him to retire. He doesn’t want to and won’t so maybe he doesn’t get overrelied on anymore and gets a small vet deal, but Spurs would still be tied up with Mills/Tony for many years...

If PATFO bring back either Patty or Tony I will be hooping mad. Not disappointed and certainly not surprised - but mad. I thoroughly expect PATFO to bring back both.

south side spur
03-05-2018, 08:07 PM
White can shoot the 3 and has an all around offensive game. For a supposed elite poster you should already know this. Murray and White are the future backcourt.

dabom
03-05-2018, 08:08 PM
White can shoot the 3 and has an all around offensive game. For a supposed elite poster you should already know this. Murray and White are the future backcourt.

I haven't seen him do shit at the NBA level. And he's trash. :lol

dabom
03-05-2018, 08:10 PM
Take that to the bank. :lol

spurraider21
03-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Green's not as far off the average as people are suggesting. He's able and more importantly willing to do more than just spot up.
:lol you watching today's showing?

Chinook
03-05-2018, 09:39 PM
:lol you watching today's showing?

Yes. I'm also looking at the whole season, though. He's doing better in the paint than Murray and Mills are. And this is with him usually not having the luxury of playing with his star player to make his drives easier. Green's gone through stretches this season where he was the first option on the perimeter. Most players who are normally tertiary play-makers aren't better.

tholdren
03-05-2018, 09:59 PM

Lol murray. U dumb

Chinook
03-07-2018, 12:38 AM
Bell got hurt again. Might have to switch our "greener grass" complaints to Bolden instead.

SAGirl
03-07-2018, 08:57 AM
As I've said many times, it seems like PATFO were completely expect Danny to be gone this summer. That's the only way to explain White, Paul, Hanga and Simmons all being shown interest. Unlike some posters on ST, I imagine that Pop knows he can't just expect a random player to come in and do what Danny has done over the past seven seasons. Getting four guys who all have different strengths and levels of experience was the best way to start a competition. Paul opting for the trade looks like it caught the team by surprise (as it did most fans, I think). Then missing out on Kyrie by being unable to trade LMA for Jackson sank that opportunity. They'd likely already secured a deal with Paul at the time and thought they'd have more money for Hanga too.

One of the reasons Green may have gotten a new agent is because the Spurs have told him that if he opts out, he's gone. It would be a really, really shitty thing for Pop to do one summer after giving Mills and Pau big money, but being shitty to Green has never bothered Pop before. Whether Danny stays on the bench or comes back as a starter, he could be an impact player for the teams for years still, but at some point, the team is going to have to change the guard, so not paying Danny loyalty money isn't inherently bad. If they can clean up their cap by summer 2019 while giving their young guys real rotation spots, it could be the key to winning another title. I just don't have a ton of faith that PATFO are looking at this correctly, and if they let Danny go, it will just be because they truly think Mills is a more important player to the roster going forward. And that's fucking dumb.
I have thought some more about Danny. I don't think the Spurs told him he's gone if he opts out... but he must want to get paid and read the tea leaves with Kiwi's supermax and the contracts the Spurs gave the past summer.

Think about this, he's a better player than Mills, and although Pau is still capable of putting up stats they are tending to be of the "empty calories" variety. Danny is still a player that helps you win games, specially if you have a star. He was an all nba 2nd team defender last season and this season has stood on his own defensively, outside of Kawhi's shadow.

Thinks about this:

Danny knows his value, his agent knows his value. He is looking for his last big contract. Considering possible trades in the future (bc he's already been in trade rumors and that is part of the business), he's got to look out for his bottom line. Spurs may not be able to afford him. I am now thinking they may legit be trying to prop up Mills' value like MaNu4Tres (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=5714) argues to trade him instead. There is a lot to be gained by trading Mills:
1. Opens up playing time for their young draft picks,
2. Opens up the possibility for them picking up a FA,
3. They have FA of their own that they need to pay or they will simply lose them.

It's a speculation obviously, but If I am right, the Spurs will not tank even if the playoffs seem out of the picture. It's not just the fact that they are late to start tanking, it's also that they have a veteran team whose players' market value will decline if they aren't playing. Like DAvis starting for Gasol depletes Gasol's value, promotes a narrative that he's washed up, etc. That may have influenced the Spurs returning him to the starting lineup just as much as Gasol whining about it. They already saw whatever they wanted to see out of Davis during the short stint he had starting games. They probably also have a better idea of how much Davis is worth to them. I figure if they fall out of playoff contention, boosting trade value for veterans under contract and determining value of players who are going to be FA is probably a priority (like Kyle, Davis and Bryn, who all got a lot of playing time for different reasons). I bet they will work on reintegrating Rudy as best they can, and figuring out thigns in preparation for the offseason.

pad300
03-07-2018, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I'm sure Danny wants a big contract. So do a lot of players. Thing is, the market timing sucks for him - there's not a lot of space. Look at potentially available cap space :
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2018/
I figure there are 6-8 teams that can really offer a contract beyond the MLE (~8.5 Million 1st year), and he's not rating as a top level FA:
http://hoopshype.com/2018/02/13/nba-free-agency-2018-the-top-players/
Hoopshype has him as 35th.
He's going to have a HARD time getting a contract beyond the MLE...Unless the Spurs put a "corporate knowledge" contract in front of him.

r0drig0lac
03-11-2018, 09:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwNLuzQrPnE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGRMiRMDm1w

MaNu4Tres
03-11-2018, 10:38 AM
In 2018..

Better than Manu.

Better than Tony.

Better than Patty.

Better than Bryn.

Better than Paul.

UZER
03-11-2018, 11:03 AM
CIA pop is going to stunt his growth on purpose to prevent other teams wanting him after his rookie contract and allowing the Spurs to resign him cheap.

:lol I swear some of the stuff pop fluffers say on this board is gold.

spurraider21
03-12-2018, 09:57 PM
:lol

MaNu4Tres
03-12-2018, 10:01 PM
In 2018..

Better than Manu.

Better than Tony.

Better than Patty.

Better than Bryn.

Better than Paul.

Just Facts.

DAF86
03-12-2018, 10:03 PM
Positions don't matter. He can play SG and still be a great passer like Manu. I see him as a back up lead guard 6th man type of impact player -- whether thats at the PG or SG position, that is irrelevant.

But since he can play PG, it would be a shame to play him at SG. The lesser midgets we have to play, the better.

DAF86
03-12-2018, 10:10 PM

See above: the lesser midgets we have to play, the better.

Knowing how Pop is a defensive minded coach first, I doubt he's all that cool with two PG's lineups. But if he is, it's just further proof of how out of touch he is with how today's NBA should be played.

MaNu4Tres
03-12-2018, 11:17 PM
Give Derrick all of Patty minutes. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

objective
03-12-2018, 11:25 PM

I agree.

It is true that Mills should be at zero minutes.

Maybe he could be a specialist at the end of quarters.

dabom
03-12-2018, 11:35 PM

But what about Kawhi's Uncle? :lmao

dabom
03-12-2018, 11:36 PM
People that don't know how shit works. :lol

HarlemHeat37
03-13-2018, 12:12 AM
I have no idea how he wasn't at least ahead of Forbes in the rotation..Pop is so reluctant to join the rest of the NBA universe..

Stabula
03-13-2018, 12:18 AM
Derrick might be NBA caliber but he has a tiny sample size, lets not go sucking each others dicks just yet.

MaNu4Tres
03-13-2018, 12:38 AM
Derrick might be NBA caliber but he has a tiny sample size, lets not go sucking each others dicks just yet.

Don't need more sample to assess if a player has it or not. I've loved what I've seen from his games here and in Austin. He has the total package & is polished in more ways than any guard on the team

This kid has it.

picnroll
04-05-2018, 10:36 PM
Another nice game by White.

http://gleague.nba.com/games/20180405/SBLAUS/

MaNu4Tres
04-05-2018, 10:38 PM
He will be an elite shooter next year and have a huge impact on the team. Mark my words.

It's absurd that Pop has kept him kenneled all year.

tholdren
04-06-2018, 05:52 AM
Hes better than murray and its not close

Atl Spur
04-06-2018, 06:02 AM
He will be an elite shooter next year and have a huge impact on the team. Mark my words.

He’s trying to hide white and sell high on Murray I’m hoping......white is a point guard, Murray isn’t.

BillMc
04-06-2018, 07:07 AM

Agreed.

jyra
04-06-2018, 07:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TxvaMMLLPM

Looking very comfortable pulling up from 3 and finishing some tough shots at the basket.

SAGirl
04-06-2018, 12:38 PM

Looking very comfortable pulling up from 3 and finishing some tough shots at the basket.
That is super impressive.
Frankly no one else among the young draftees has had this shooting touch recently and he’s also skilled near the rim. In addition he plays defense.

Its a huge shame Pop didn’t play this guy all year. Playing Forbes, a washed up Tony, Mills getting 35-37 minutes...

White is not a kid. He came into the league with a polished game, being 23 years old. In a different team I think he would have played this season.

spurraider21
04-06-2018, 12:40 PM
while I can understand Pop trusting patty (though not with the volume of minutes he's given), what I don't understand is why Pop was so hellbent on getting forbes in the rotation at the expense of giving white a shot to earn playing time.

south side spur
04-06-2018, 01:03 PM
while I can understand Pop trusting patty (though not with the volume of minutes he's given), what I don't understand is why Pop was so hellbent on getting forbes in the rotation at the expense of giving white a shot to earn playing time.

Exactly...there’s 2 possibilities I’m thinking. Either Forbes is the new Supahead Steffens and he’s sucking the common sense out of Pop or he got a hold of the Bonner and Pop incriminating photos.

SpursDynasty85
04-06-2018, 01:37 PM
Exactly...there’s 2 possibilities I’m thinking. Either Forbes is the new Supahead Steffens and he’s sucking the common sense out of Pop or he got a hold of the Bonner and Pop incriminating photos.

Only a wild assumption of Pop's thinking. Patty could be traded. Forbes replaces Patty. Derrick White replaces TP/Ginobili, Hilliard replaces Green. Plus Forbes has a couple more seasons of grooming under the system which Pop likes.

sasaint
04-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Hes better than murray and its not close

Too bad you aren't Pop. I think Craterface has hitched his wagon to Murray as the starting PG, and will pretty much ignore DWhite.

south side spur
04-06-2018, 01:49 PM
Only a wild assumption of Pop's thinking. Patty could be traded. Forbes replaces Patty. Derrick White replaces TP/Ginobili, Hilliard replaces Green. Plus Forbes has a couple more seasons of grooming under the system which Pop likes.

Call me a Danny player fan but I hope you’re right about Patty being traded and they keep Danny. Also, I’m hoping for another PAC 12 draft and they sign Troy Brown Jr out of Oregon. I’m sick to my stomach of midget ball so hopefully Forbes becomes the alpha Austin Spur.

DAF86
04-06-2018, 01:49 PM

Owning the starting PG that beat us on the last game.

spurs50_
04-06-2018, 01:59 PM
Heck, Popovich would've had Kuzma playing in Austin.

TimDunkem
04-06-2018, 02:03 PM

You are correct. Kuzma wouldn't even get to play 20 games here if Poop was coaching him.

It just wouldn't be fair to the guys ahead of him. :pop:

gambit1990
04-06-2018, 02:05 PM
i feel like pop is playing forbes over white because he’s trying to throw forbes’ career a bone. he’ll be a free agent this summer while white is under contract for years.

SAGirl
04-06-2018, 02:06 PM
Owning the starting PG that beat us on the last game.
I didn't even pay attention to that

/slapface :pop: :bang:drunk:dizzy:pctoss:cuss:nutkick:

cd98
04-06-2018, 02:10 PM
We'll know if Derrick White is as good as Murray when he moves up to the main roster in two years.

Chinook
04-06-2018, 03:35 PM

I think White is better than Kuzma, honestly. Kuz is a one-way player looking great because the volume he's getting. Derrick is a two-way player

DJR210
04-06-2018, 03:38 PM
It is true that Mills should be at zero minutes.

:lol 50 million dollars to ride the pine

Dex
04-06-2018, 03:56 PM
Spurs shot themselves in the foot with their PG rotation this year, tbh.

They knew they had to give minutes to their new 50 Million Dollar Man.

They knew they had to give minutes to their up & rising young buck (DJ).

And they knew they had to save space for the old guard (Manu and Tony)...both of whom can only play to 60% of the level we need them to.

Frankly, White got pushed out by circumstance....he could've averaged a triple double in the dregs, and Pop is still gonna go with his "tried and true" players.

Hopefully, Mills contract gets moved, and that will open lots of minutes for White next season. He's earned them so far.

The silver lining is that if White had been playing spot minutes with the club all season...I doubt he would've developed into the player we are seeing in GLeague. Dude needs to learn the game...and it was too log-jammed here for him to do that properly.

spurraider21
04-06-2018, 04:06 PM

And they knew they had to save space for the old guard (Manu and Tony)...both of whom can only play to 60% of the level we need them to.

Frankly, White got pushed out by circumstance....he could've averaged a triple double in the dregs, and Pop is still gonna go with his "tried and true" players.

Hopefully, Mills contract gets moved, and that will open lots of minutes for White next season. He's earned them so far.

The silver lining is that if White had been playing spot minutes with the club all season...I doubt he would've developed into the player we are seeing in GLeague. Dude needs to learn the game...and it was too log-jammed here for him to do that properly.
he coulda gotten forbes' 20 minutes per game

gambit1990
04-06-2018, 04:07 PM

spurs can afford to play manu. his vorp is .2... tony's is -.5 :wow

Dex
04-06-2018, 04:08 PM

https://i.imgur.com/hxdCpt2.gif

spurraider21
04-06-2018, 04:20 PM
:lol

tholdren
04-06-2018, 04:38 PM
He’s trying to hide white and sell high on Murray I’m hoping......white is a point guard, Murray isn’t.

This is where i am. Trade bait. But with murrays hustle on d.... im not sure pop will part with him. Im not sure if i would either. My disdain for murray lies solely with his inability to play the pg spot and the fact he was drafted. Anyone can learn to get better with experience. It just proves the nba is simply overhyped

tholdren
04-06-2018, 04:39 PM

Why? Spurs need a scorer and on the shooting and creating forbes is light years ahead of murray. its sad if you cant recognize this

spurraider21
04-06-2018, 04:52 PM
Why? Spurs need a scorer and on the shooting and creating forbes is light years ahead of murray. its sad if you cant recognize this
is forbes light years ahead of derrick white?

BackHome
04-06-2018, 04:53 PM
What is sad is that you can’t see how Bad Forbes Sucks. The dude make Mills look good no way should he be on a team that has any thoughts of going to the playoffs.

As far as Murray he is getting better and has a much higher upside then No Defense Midgit Forbes. Is he our best PG I would say No and I would say that if given a fair chance White should be our starting PG next year. But Murray should be the backup and you can probably play both at the same time.

SpursDynasty85
04-06-2018, 04:56 PM
You are correct. Kuzma wouldn't even get to play 20 games here if Poop was coaching him.

It just wouldn't be fair to the guys ahead of him. :pop:

Why didn't Kawhi play in the D-league his first year? Kuzma would be a great fit for Spurs. He has a well rounded game.

SpursDynasty85
04-06-2018, 05:46 PM
is forbes light years ahead of derrick white?

Forbes is a better SG at this point. Derrick White future looks to be a PG which the Spurs have too many of at this point.

Chinook
04-06-2018, 05:50 PM
Forbes is a better SG at this point. Derrick White future looks to be a PG which the Spurs have too many of at this point.

White can literally do everything better than Forbes, including shoot. Maybe Bryn's got him in an open gym, but in a game, White beats him easily. Derrick doesn't have the track record to prove it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's the best guard on the roster by next year.

BillMc
:lol 50 million dollars to ride the pine

Hey, we're paying Kawhi 19 million not even to show up for home games these days.

Chinook
Hey, we're paying Kawhi 19 million not even to show up for home games these days.

Damn, Bill's gone full savage.

BillMc
04-06-2018, 05:52 PM
White can literally do everything better than Forbes, including shoot. Maybe Bryn's got him in an open gym, but in a game, White beats him easily. Derrick doesn't have the track record to prove it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's the best guard on the roster by next year.

If that's the case how do you see him pairing up with Murray? Does he unseat DJ as the starter? Or do they pair him at the 2 and who becomes the primary ballhandler?

SpursDynasty85
04-06-2018, 05:52 PM

If I could have it Forbes should've taken Patty's spot this year. Forbes deserves minutes over White at this point. Pop needs to run sets White hasn't even seen yet. I look forward to a productive offset ok n where White does get a few mpg next year though.

BillMc
04-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Damn, Bill's gone full savage.

This season is full on Lord of the Flies for me.

Chinook
04-06-2018, 05:58 PM
If I could have it Forbes should've taken Patty's spot this year. Forbes deserves minutes over White at this point. Pop needs to run sets White hasn't even seen yet. I look forward to a productive offset ok n where White does get a few mpg next year though.

Forbes is cheaper than Patty, but he's so much worse that it's almost worth the money. At his absolute best, Bryn looks like a dynamic scorer. But he's streaky at the one thing he's good at, can't even pretend to be a PG and can't defend any position. Forbes should be in the Kerr role, not as the starting guard next to Murray. As far as sets go, White's been learning the Spurs' playbook for a year with the Toros. You can argue that gamespeed might be a problem, but knowing the sets won't be.

Chinook
04-06-2018, 06:04 PM
If that's the case how do you see him pairing up with Murray? Does he unseat DJ as the starter? Or do they pair him at the 2 and who becomes the primary ballhandler?

It all depends on how Murray develops offensively. A Dejounte who can't score isn't going to be a starter very long, White or no White. If Murray can shoot well enough to sit in the corner and also get offense off the dribble, he and White could play the two-PG backcourt Pop has wanted for almost a decade now. Neither has to be THE man, because they can both attack off primary or secondary penetration. IT would be similar to watching Tony and Manu now. Derrick is better at running an offense, while DeJounte is better at pressure off the dribble. Ideally, though, they'd both be good enough at both of those things that they could take turns running the teams like Paul and Harden to.

On D, obviously, the sky's the limit given their good size and noses for the ball.

SpursDynasty85
04-06-2018, 06:06 PM
Forbes is cheaper than Patty, but he's so much worse that it's almost worth the money. At his absolute best, Bryn looks like a dynamic scorer. But he's streaky at the one thing he's good at, can't even pretend to be a PG and can't defend any position. Forbes should be in the Kerr role, not as the starting guard next to Murray. As far as sets go, White's been learning the Spurs' playbook for a year with the Toros. You can argue that gamespeed might be a problem, but knowing the sets won't be.

Bro. Bryn Forbes had a way better stint in the d league than Derrick White. Look at the numbers. I'm not denying White might end up a better fit for the Spurs or player period but Bryn earned his playing time. Its arguable he earned it over Dejounte too. Derrick White is a pg in the Spurs eyes. A season of grooming will do good for him.

TheGreatYacht
04-06-2018, 06:09 PM

MaNu4Tres
04-06-2018, 06:14 PM

He already is.

But that doesn't mean he should take Murrays spot.

It means he should take Parkers/Forbes minutes, even Pattys.

Start him at the 2 ( defending twos, but being an initiator on offense -- like Manu).

Or have him as the lead guard off the bench.

objective
04-06-2018, 06:16 PM
Why didn't Kawhi play in the D-league his first year? Kuzma would be a great fit for Spurs. He has a well rounded game.

Pop will play a rookie if he hates the vet in front of them.

Richard Jefferson had already been benched in the playoffs and Pop even wasted some of his summer drinking time on remedial drills for him. Pop was out on RJ.

Parker was behind Antonio Daniels, who Pop never liked and never wanted as his point guard.

Pop loves Mills, loves Parker. Likes Forbes.

Chinook
04-06-2018, 06:19 PM
Bro. Bryn Forbes had a way better stint in the d league than Derrick White. Look at the numbers.

:rolleyes No, he didn't.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/f/forbebr01d.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/w/whitede01d.html

Bryn did outshoot him, though. Everything else only looks like a competition because White played 20-percent fewer minutes per game.

I'm not denying White might end up a better fit for the Spurs or player period but Bryn earned his playing time.

Not really:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Derrick+White&player_id1_select=Derrick+White&y1=2018&player_id1=whitede01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Bryn+Forbes&player_id2_select=Bryn+Forbes&y2=2018&player_id2=forbebr01&idx=players

White has easily outplayed Bryn in his limited NBA time. I'm all willing to say that Derrick doesn't have a big enough sample, but that's Pop's fault.

Its arguable he earned it over Dejounte too.

:lol OMG, it's not. I'm apparently the bigger Murray-hater on this site, but I have no problem admitting he's been way better than Forbes overall. Bryn should definitely not be the top guard in the rotation.

Derrick White is a pg in the Spurs eyes. A season of grooming will do good for him.

That's fine if you think that. White is still a better two-guard than Forbes whether Pop plays him there or not.

Chinook
04-06-2018, 06:21 PM

White's less of a d-league player than Forbes is, and you have no problem loading up in the magazine thread.

spurraider21
04-06-2018, 06:27 PM
forbes has been a shittier version of gary neal, white is more of an all around player and isn't a weak link on defense like forbes/mills

tholdren
04-06-2018, 06:32 PM
What is sad is that you can’t see how Bad Forbes Sucks. The dude make Mills look good no way should he be on a team that has any thoughts of going to the playoffs.

As far as Murray he is getting better and has a much higher upside then No Defense Midgit Forbes. Is he our best PG I would say No and I would say that if given a fair chance White should be our starting PG next year. But Murray should be the backup and you can probably play both at the same time.

Forbes is the best three point shooter on the team. Statistically. And he is the only spur that can create instant offense or get a shot off anywhere on the court off the dribble.

tholdren
04-06-2018, 06:33 PM

Bryn did outshoot him, though. Everything else only looks like a competition because White played 20-percent fewer minutes per game.

Not really:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Derrick+White&player_id1_select=Derrick+White&y1=2018&player_id1=whitede01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Bryn+Forbes&player_id2_select=Bryn+Forbes&y2=2018&player_id2=forbebr01&idx=players

White has easily outplayed Bryn in his limited NBA time. I'm all willing to say that Derrick doesn't have a big enough sample, but that's Pop's fault.

:lol OMG, it's not. I'm apparently the bigger Murray-hater on this site, but I have no problem admitting he's been way better than Forbes overall. Bryn should definitely not be the top guard in the rotation.

That's fine if you think that. White is still a better two-guard than Forbes whether Pop plays him there or not.

Why would you play your best ball handler at sg if your pg cant dribble or pass. It serves zero purpose. I will wait

SpursDynasty85
04-06-2018, 06:37 PM

Not really:

Thanks for posting the stats and everything. I will retract my statement of "way better" but Forbes did outshoot him pretty clearly and had a very good summer league before the season started which includes looking better than Dejounte during that time. Dejounte looked terrible other than a handful of games this season. Same can be said for Forbes but he has great confidence in his shot as do the coaches. When he is open from what I've seen he converts. You shouldn't compare Derrick Whites numbers in the NBA this season since most of them were garbage minutes and very situational. Forbes on the other hand of course is not going to look good when Spurs have had such an up and down season with Kawhi out and the lineup changing every week.

Leetonidas
04-06-2018, 06:37 PM
"Forbes is the best three point shooter on the team" :lmao

SpursDynasty85
04-06-2018, 06:40 PM

In a 3 pt shooting contest I'm pretty sure Forbes wins on the Spurs which is probably why he is still in the rotation. Spurs coaching staff aren't stupid. They evaluate these players daily.

tholdren
04-06-2018, 07:00 PM

Please see 3pt percentage....

Chinook
04-06-2018, 07:33 PM
Why would you play your best ball handler at sg if your pg cant dribble or pass. It serves zero purpose. I will wait

Because positions are only as important as the limitations of your players. White can handle the ball plenty as an SG, and he can slide over to the primary ball-handler when Murray is on the bench. Agree or disagree, SA is playing Murray at the one because they want to, and they continue to do so for the same reason. White gives them what they need for a guard next to Murray, so they can fit together.

Chinook
04-06-2018, 07:39 PM
Thanks for posting the stats and everything. I will retract my statement of "way better" but Forbes did outshoot him pretty clearly and had a very good summer league before the season started which includes looking better than Dejounte during that time. Dejounte looked terrible other than a handful of games this season. Same can be said for Forbes but he has great confidence in his shot as do the coaches. When he is open from what I've seen he converts. You shouldn't compare Derrick Whites numbers in the NBA this season since most of them were garbage minutes and very situational. Forbes on the other hand of course is not going to look good when Spurs have had such an up and down season with Kawhi out and the lineup changing every week.

Context matters. Forbes looked good when everyone let him do what he wanted. Some guys excel in that regard, and others don't. I fully expect White to have a strong summer league if he's able to participate. That was his very first taste of anything near NBA action. Just as Forbes got better from his first to second SL, so too will White. Murray's the only one who played worse. Obviously by this point in the season, there are much better sample sizes out there than those old tourney, however.

BackHome
04-06-2018, 08:00 PM
White is a starter Forbes at best is 15th man or G League

spurraider21
04-06-2018, 08:28 PM
forbes was scoring a lot in the summer league while shooting 40% from the field

tholdren
04-06-2018, 08:59 PM
Because positions are only as important as the limitations of your players. White can handle the ball plenty as an SG, and he can slide over to the primary ball-handler when Murray is on the bench. Agree or disagree, SA is playing Murray at the one because they want to, and they continue to do so for the same reason. White gives them what they need for a guard next to Murray, so they can fit together.

I agree w your take on positions. But i think you fall off on what white can do part.

Watch murray. 90 percent of the time he dribbles to a trap spot. Passes to the wing and trots to the corner. Its like a back up pg in high school. So again why wouldnt murray just play the 2... aka not bring it up the floor? What will white do next to murray that he wouldnt do next to forbes. In fact you may say that pairing him w forbes would be better because youre going to cheat if youre defending murray, and you arent going to let forbes shoot. Makes no sense

And really hes a nothing on offense if not a handicap. Your best bet is him being disruptive on d. Which is not any better than hoping forbes can be disruptive on offense.

SpursDynasty85
04-06-2018, 09:42 PM
forbes was scoring a lot in the summer league while shooting 40% from the field

Nitpicking stats. Well then compare Forbes shooting % for g league to White. I'm not arguing he is better than White but White wasn't going to help us this year anyway. It's a mute point. Forbes at least gives us spacing and shooting. Forbes is a better spot up shooter than White.

Chinook
04-06-2018, 09:47 PM
I agree w your take on positions. But i think you fall off on what white can do part.

Watch murray. 90 percent of the time he dribbles to a trap spot. Passes to the wing and trots to the corner. Its like a back up pg in high school. So again why wouldnt murray just play the 2... aka not bring it up the floor? What will white do next to murray that he wouldnt do next to forbes. In fact you may say that pairing him w forbes would be better because youre going to cheat if youre defending murray, and you arent going to let forbes shoot. Makes no sense

And really hes a nothing on offense if not a handicap. Your best bet is him being disruptive on d. Which is not any better than hoping forbes can be disruptive on offense.

You'll get no argument from me that Murray's career arc depends heavily on him getting something consistent on offense. I even said so either upthread or in another thread. A Murray who never improves from here is going to be a back-up long term. I am not as down on his current skills as you seem to be (I think he's poor but not horrific dribbling and actually think he has an unselfish mentality passing-wise that is only being held back through inexperience). A Murray who can't shoot is no more a shooting-guard than he is a point-guard. On the ball, he may have some issues, but off the ball, he's going to have nothing to do but go for offensive boards, which is usually a bad thing for transition defense (and we've been seeing that).

I disagree somewhat on the idea that White needs to bring the ball up the floor and that doing so is a PG's job. Pop has consistently pushed for there being multiple guys who can take a rebound or outlet pass and get offense into position. To that end, only Green and the centers really don't do so, and Danny will if he's the pressure release. Murray, like most other Spurs, usually dribbles to the ball to one of the wings then kicks it out to the trailing big to start one of the Motion sets. I don't usually find fault with his handling here. Most of the time he gets in trouble, it's when he moves inside the three-point line or when he's otherwise attacking.

tholdren
04-06-2018, 09:57 PM
You'll get no argument from me that Murray's career arc depends heavily on him getting something consistent on offense. I even said so either upthread or in another thread. A Murray who never improves from here is going to be a back-up long term. I am not as down on his current skills as you seem to be (I think he's poor but not horrific dribbling and actually think he has an unselfish mentality passing-wise that is only being held back through inexperience). A Murray who can't shoot is no more a shooting-guard than he is a point-guard. On the ball, he may have some issues, but off the ball, he's going to have nothing to do but go for offensive boards, which is usually a bad thing for transition defense (and we've been seeing that).

I disagree somewhat on the idea that White needs to bring the ball up the floor and that doing so is a PG's job. Pop has consistently pushed for there being multiple guys who can take a rebound or outlet pass and get offense into position. To that end, only Green and the centers really don't do so, and Danny will if he's the pressure release. Murray, like most other Spurs, usually dribbles to the ball to one of the wings then kicks it out to the trailing big to start one of the Motion sets. I don't usually find fault with his handling here. Most of the time he gets in trouble, it's when he moves inside the three-point line or when he's otherwise attacking.

Tony didnt do that every time, nor manu. Watch white. His handles vision and iq are just so much better. Taking it oit of whites hand to murray is like chris paul to danny green

Ice009
04-06-2018, 10:02 PM
Same can be said for Forbes but he has great confidence in his shot as do the coaches. When he is open from what I've seen he converts. You shouldn't compare Derrick Whites numbers in the NBA this season since most of them were garbage minutes and very situational. Forbes on the other hand of course is not going to look good when Spurs have had such an up and down season with Kawhi out and the lineup changing every week.

All I've seen from Bryn when open is bricks from just over 50% of his shots. An elite shooter shouldn't miss less than 50% of his shots when wide open. With those same wide open looks, Gary Neal would have been converting over 50% of those shots. I don't give a shit how good of a shooter he is in an open gym. For whatever reason, that's not translating to games. Like Kawhi once said, it's about taking what you do in the gym and being able to do it in games. He said there's lots of players that are great in the gym, but they aren't able to do it in the games.

SpursDynasty85
04-06-2018, 10:11 PM
All I've seen from Bryn when open is bricks from just over 50% of his shots. An elite shooter shouldn't miss less than 50% of his shots when wide open. With those same wide open looks, Gary Neal would have been converting over 50% of those shots. I don't give a shit how good of a shooter he is in an open gym. For whatever reason, that's not translating to games. Like Kawhi once said, it's about taking what you do in the gym and being able to do it in games. He said there's lots of players that are great in the gym, but they aren't able to do it in the games.

Patty and Green were considered elite shooters too but Forbes is shooting a better percentage from the 3 than them. Without a true playmaker to give open shots to everyone all our below avg shooting guards will struggle. If you can't see Bryn is a pretty good shooter than I guess that's your problem.

DJR210
04-07-2018, 01:06 AM

At least he has elite talent when his vagina heals

But yeah..

:lol 231,707.00 a game to milk some soreness

Ice009
04-07-2018, 01:08 AM
Patty and Green were considered elite shooters too but Forbes is shooting a better percentage from the 3 than them. Without a true playmaker to give open shots to everyone all our below avg shooting guards will struggle. If you can't see Bryn is a pretty good shooter than I guess that's your problem.

I've seen him miss too many open shots to consider him an elite in game shooter. He might be elite in the gym, but not in actual NBA games against the best teams.

BillMc
04-07-2018, 06:14 AM
231,707.00 a game to milk some soreness

Man, you'd think he'd try and play....

duncan2150
04-07-2018, 06:24 AM
I still didn’t understand Why people keep thinking forbes is an nba player.

His qualities are scoring, shooting and even on this side he’s not that good, 42% 65% ft. He can’t do Nothing except scoring, he’s a liability on defense, late on every screen.

he doesn’t have the size, speed To be at least a rotation player.

boutons_deux
04-07-2018, 07:31 AM
Man, you'd think he'd try and play....

he tried, his chronic pathology said No Mas

dbestpro
04-07-2018, 09:20 AM
Forbes is the best shooter on the team, and the worst defender. Whatever he scores, he turns around and gives up on defense. White can serve as a better all around player.

tholdren
04-07-2018, 10:24 AM
Forbes is the best shooter on the team, and the worst defender. Whatever he scores, he turns around and gives up on defense. White can serve as a better all around player.

And even worse can be said about murray. Hes a decent defender but so bad on offense. Like tiago. Or how many on here were saying pau was.... all wrong

BackHome
04-07-2018, 11:55 AM
I am glad some Posters are finally changing there mind about White the dude is legit

tbdog
04-07-2018, 12:34 PM
I still didn’t understand Why people keep thinking forbes is an nba player.

His qualities are scoring, shooting and even on this side he’s not that good, 42% 65% ft. He can’t do Nothing except scoring, he’s a liability on defense, late on every screen.

he doesn’t have the size, speed To be at least a rotation player.

Whats worse is that he is vertically and athletically challenge, so he just can't get a good shot off. He actually has a decent in between game in terms of fundamentals, but defenders can get back in the play and challenge his shot. He is a typical player where he is somewhat skilled but doesn't have the body to be an NBA player. This has to be his last year in the job.

tholdren
04-07-2018, 03:21 PM
Whats worse is that he is vertically and athletically challenge, so he just can't get a good shot off. He actually has a decent in between game in terms of fundamentals, but defenders can get back in the play and challenge his shot. He is a typical player where he is somewhat skilled but doesn't have the body to be an NBA player. This has to be his last year in the job.

This is stupid. Hes the only spur that creates off dribble. U dumb

duncan2150
04-07-2018, 03:41 PM
This is stupid. Hes the only spur that creates off dribble. U dumb

Are you serious ? He can create something? And even if he can, he’s so bad on D that you can’t rely on him.

TD 21
04-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Not giving White a chance to overtake Forbes is the most inexplicable rotational decision this season because it can't be explained away by cliché political reasons: contractual status and loyalty. It can't even be said that Forbes provides a needed specific skill that White is incapable of providing. They also have more invested in White and he was drafted at 23, with part of the selling point being his basketball IQ.

It's like they just decided that because Forbes got here a year earlier and has the designation of a shooter (because he can't do anything else) and White has the designation of, in Pop parlance, a "basketball player" (sub par athleticism, but capable of doing a variety of things), that it means the latter can't shoot.

SAGirl
04-07-2018, 06:15 PM
Pop basically predetermined b4 the season started that this wasn’t White’s year and no matter what’s happened afterwards he hasn’t reconsidered that stance.

I am on my cell phone so I am not going through the trouble to look up the quote but Pop basically said it either in preseason or very early in the season.

ceds
04-07-2018, 06:37 PM
Context matters. Forbes looked good when everyone let him do what he wanted. Some guys excel in that regard, and others don't. I fully expect White to have a strong summer league if he's able to participate. That was his very first taste of anything near NBA action. Just as Forbes got better from his first to second SL, so too will White. Murray's the only one who played worse. Obviously by this point in the season, there are much better sample sizes out there than those old tourney, however.

can't wait to see you wet your pants again when a 4 year college player already one year in put up stats next summer league :lol

SpursDynasty85
04-07-2018, 07:25 PM
Ok. I'm seeing these Derrick White highlights and he is looking darn good! I hope he does become our starting SG next year! Going to be a great fit with Dejounte.

My point is no need to trash on Bryn. He makes 10-15th man money and is a great shooter and competitor. His defense is not good but better than "by far the worst". He can be a viable option off the bench but needs more playmakers around him. Bryn is getting like 5-10 min a game now. I'd much rather White develop in the G league than only play 10 min a game right now. He really is looking good!

emanueldavidginobili
04-09-2018, 07:50 AM
White again with back to back 35 point performances this time game 1 of the G-league finals.

Mr. Body
04-09-2018, 08:04 AM
White made it look easy. Definitely needs a lot of court time in the big league next year.

r0drig0lac
04-09-2018, 08:28 AM
offensively this kid seems to have the full package, I'll stick with my prediction of Harden lite until he starts having minutes

MoSpur02
04-09-2018, 08:56 AM
Saw last night's game. White looks like a solid NBA level player. He doesn't lack confidence that's for sure. Certainly better than Forbes. His defense needs work.

dabom
04-09-2018, 09:57 AM
Someone compile 6 highlight nba or gleague videos and I will give a bigger in-depth look into his tools for the nba.

BackHome
04-09-2018, 10:42 AM
Dude you all ready said he sucks why would you change his mind now?

dabom
04-09-2018, 10:44 AM
Dude you all ready said he sucks why would you change his mind now?

I never said I was changing my mind.

dabom
04-09-2018, 10:52 AM
The thing about the NBA is that you can't be average at a couple things. You need to have some elite skill that can separate you from the rest.

His passing is average, his foot speed might be below average, his dunking is average, might be too short for a 2 guard.

I haven't seen his shooting but I ain't basing it off of G-league (fathead was an elite scorer there). Shooting the 3 well might be a decent plus... Haven't seen if he is durable. Probably will though considering he isn't athletic.

No real NBA experience, no playoff experience.

dabom
04-09-2018, 10:54 AM
Someone tell me I'm wrong.

BackHome
04-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Your wrong. Lol. Don’t get me wrong he is not going to be a Manu or Kawhi impact player but for where he was drafted he can help the team as a good rotation player. He is a very smart player has great anticipation and makes other players around him better and he doesn’t get frustrated very calm player.

He has good handles can create his own shot has the ability to take it to the rim and his three ball game is getting better. Is he as athletic as Murray Nope, but he is more skilled then Murray. And yes I like both players and think both can play can play together.

Dex
04-09-2018, 11:28 AM
White is looking good right now and scoring the ball...but I'll withhold judgement until I see him get real NBA minutes.

Dejounte averaged 17.2 points in GLeague. Kyle averaged 21.3. Forbes averaged 23.4.

The ability to score against that level of competition obviously does not automatically translate to the big stage.

BackHome
04-09-2018, 11:33 AM
I like the fact that he is putting up 35 pts in a playoff game. The regular season few teams really focus on defense but in the playoffs they do so much more impressive to do what he did.

Also add that he did have a very good game when he was called up by the Spurs so another good indicator

boutons_deux
04-09-2018, 11:45 AM
Sounds like it would be useful to put DW on the Spurs playoff roster

Robz4000
04-09-2018, 11:47 AM
Saw last night's game. White looks like a solid NBA level player. He doesn't lack confidence that's for sure. Certainly better than Forbes. His defense needs work.

His defense looks great; dude was wreaking havoc on both sides of the ball last night.

jyra
04-09-2018, 11:54 AM
I like the fact that he is putting up 35 pts in a playoff game. The regular season few teams really focus on defense but in the playoffs they do so much more impressive to do what he did.

The Raptors 905 also had the best defensive rating in the G-League this season fwiw.

picnroll
04-09-2018, 12:13 PM
Versatile scorer long, mid and at the basket. His floater is better, more controlled than Murray’s go to shot.

spurraider21
04-09-2018, 12:59 PM
he looks very comfortable pulling up for 3 off the dribble. i dont think he's quite a gunner like a gary neal... but he looks like he can give us what we wanted james anderson to be.

SpursDynasty85
04-09-2018, 01:05 PM
he looks very comfortable pulling up for 3 off the dribble. i dont think he's quite a gunner like a gary neal... but he looks like he can give us what we wanted james anderson to be.

I was totally thinking of James Anderso too except White seems a little quicker and has a higher release and gets in shooting position. A lot quicker with his set ups and decisions. Anderson never quite looked comfortable in an NBA game and then the foot injury...

raybies
04-09-2018, 01:10 PM
I think his ceiling is CJ Mcollum type with better d.

SAGirl
04-09-2018, 04:51 PM
I think his ceiling is CJ Mcollum type with better d.
I thought of McCollum too but held myself from mentioning it bc too small sample. He has a nice jumper, which made me think of CJ.

emanueldavidginobili
04-10-2018, 03:46 AM
i have no doubt in my mind White can compete in the NBA, hes mature thats a huge plus hes not a one and done player and hes used to working his way to the top if you know his story before he made it to D1. The games he has played this season in the NBA hes played pretty well and confident. I actually went to the Spurs/Warriors game in Golden State where he played well and looked confident as hell,

SpursDynasty85
04-11-2018, 10:49 AM
I think we jinxed him. 4-18 in the final game and Nick Johnson gets the Finals MVP, ouch! Still hope he turns out to be our new starting sg next year.

Phenomanul
04-11-2018, 02:20 PM
Will he be on the playoff roster?

dbestpro
04-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Will he be on the playoff roster?

No. They will keep an empty seat for Leonard before White.

Phenomanul
04-11-2018, 06:54 PM
No. They will keep an empty seat for Leonard before White.

What's the roster limit? Same as regular season? 13 Players? 12 Active, 1 Inactive?

In alphabetical order...

01) LaMarcus Aldridge
02) Kyle Anderson
03) Davis Bertans
04) Bryn Forbes
05) Pau Gasol
06) Rudy Gay
07) Manu Ginobili
08) Danny Green
09) Joffrey Lauvergne
10) Kawhi Leonard
11) Patty Mills
12) Dejounte Murray
13) Tony Parker
14) Brandon Paul
15) Derrick White

I would be tempted to leave out J. Lauvergne and B. Paul to make room for White. But yeah, it's a risky move only because of the position.

Chinook
04-11-2018, 06:56 PM
There is no such thing as a playoff roster anymore. Only limit is you can't use two-way guys. This has been the case for a really long time now. I'm frankly shocked this keeps coming up.

Phenomanul
04-11-2018, 06:59 PM
There is no such thing as a playoff roster anymore. Only limit is you can't use two-way guys. This has been the case for a really long time now. I'm frankly shocked this keeps coming up.

I hadn't researched that limitation before. Thanks for clearing it up though.

Chinook
04-11-2018, 07:05 PM
I hadn't researched that limitation before. Thanks for clearing it up though.

NP. The playoff roster has been gone for like a decade, if not a decade-and-a-half. I think the two-way guys are causing some confusion, because you have to be on the real 15 to play in the post-season. The media mentioned Cook and a couple of other two-ways guys around the league being converted by yesterday to be eligible for the playoffs but decided to frame it in terms of a "playoff roster" for some reason.

DPG21920
04-11-2018, 07:06 PM
No two-way players (which is why Casspi was released from GS - to convert Cook to a full-time player) & the only thing teams do in the playoffs is name two inactives each game from the roster

DAF86
04-16-2018, 11:49 PM
Murray, Forbes and Tony getting minutes over this guy. :lol

urunobili
04-16-2018, 11:50 PM
Murray, Forbes and Tony getting minutes over this guy. :lol

Just plain bad. :depressed

spurraider21
04-16-2018, 11:54 PM
Guy was never given a chance to compete for rotation minutes. Much more important for Forbes to be given a scholarship due to a spectacular summer league where he was shooting 40% from the field

Mugen
07-02-2018, 10:45 PM
Good news: Derrick White looks really damn good and is in for some big minutes next season
Bad news: He's the best guard on the roster :lol

objective
07-02-2018, 11:12 PM
Good news: Derrick White looks really damn good and is in for some big minutes next season
Bad news: He's the best guard on the roster :lol

Worse news: he'll be behind Marco, Mills, Green, and Porker/Forbes in the rotation

apalisoc_9
07-02-2018, 11:13 PM
Bellineli going to eat all of derrick whites minutes, sadly.

Mugen
07-03-2018, 12:11 AM
Beli and White are completely different players and DWhite has gotten a chance to get over himself tbh......

So please get it right, Beli is gonna eat Lonnie's minutes :lol

alpha_HaZE
07-03-2018, 12:16 AM
He didn't look that good imho, not to the point we can say he is better than DJ. Don't forget Kyle used to look pretty good in summer league as well.

lmbebo
07-03-2018, 12:17 AM
haven't seen game, walker play? 1st thoughts? (guarded I know at this point )

Mugen
07-03-2018, 12:22 AM
He didn't look that good imho, not to the point we can say he is better than DJ. Don't forget Kyle used to look pretty good in summer league as well.

Dejounte was terrible in summer league tbh, White looks to be the superior NBA player already. I wouldn't be surprised if White is the starting 2 guard 10 games in since he'll be the only guard on the team that can create a shot.

DJR210
07-03-2018, 01:37 AM

White's play making is smoother and more in control, and DJ can't really shoot outside of 10 feet..

venitian navigator
07-03-2018, 01:37 AM
Murray - White as starting back court?

the point is that Mills and Green as a back court don't work too well...both of them can't carry the ball...

alpha_HaZE
07-03-2018, 01:39 AM
Dejounte was terrible in summer league tbh, White looks to be the superior NBA player already. I wouldn't be surprised if White is the starting 2 guard 10 games in since he'll be the only guard on the team that can create a shot.

I guess we will see what happens. I am rooting for the guy to be great. All am saying is that there are guys who did bad during summer and well in the NBA and guys that were Summer ALL STARS but haven't done much for us yet.

alpha_HaZE
07-03-2018, 01:49 AM
White's play making is smoother and more in control, and DJ can't really shoot outside of 10 feet..

The fact that White can make the outside shot is very exciting, but I can assure you that neither his defense nor his rebounding will be as good DJ's and you are kinda ASSuming that DJ will not improve? That's silly, let's see what both bring to the table next season before we crown White the winner. But again I count on DJ taking a giant leap in his third year especially with everyone healthy and knowing each other and the system a bit better.