PDA

View Full Version : Spurs needs to tank hard and target Wembanyama un 2023

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

tapiefan
08-12-2021, 12:48 AM
Victor Wembanyama, the next big thing, will join the draft in 2023. Euro/French player, currently in TP's ASVEL, he is for sure the target the Spurs must focus on.

Spurs have 2 years to tank guys. Discuss.

slick'81
08-12-2021, 01:00 AM
Wake me up when the spurs are drafting in the top3

buttsR4rebounding
08-12-2021, 01:27 AM
Victor Wembanyama, the next big thing, will join the draft in 2023. Euro/French player, currently in TP's ASVEL, he is for sure the target the Spurs must focus on.

Spurs have 2 years to tank guys. Discuss.

Supposedly this is Presti’s plan. He is looking to accumulate as many 2023 picks as he can. He currently has 3 outright and a pick swap. He wants Victor badly. The Spurs should also.

Chomag
08-12-2021, 02:13 AM
Even with a top 3 this FO would use it on a second rounder with potential

8FOR!3
08-12-2021, 05:04 AM
Definitely a top prospect, but Chet Holmgren is insane on paper too. 7'1 wing (who I'm assuming would play PF) he's got KD upside.

MVPCues
08-12-2021, 06:18 AM

RIP

cd98
08-12-2021, 07:02 AM
Definitely a top prospect, but Chet Holmgren is insane on paper too. 7'1 wing (who I'm assuming would play PF) he's got KD upside.

Yes but that dude looks like he’s starving. Will he be able to put on weight? Also, I haven’t seen him play, but is he as mobile as KD?

james evans
08-12-2021, 09:07 AM
Even with a top 3 this FO would use it on a second rounder with potential
exactly. And I told you mfers this before the season ended. What's the use of tanking when they're just gonna pick a player that's not worth tanking for? Popovich and his figureheads must go...

exstatic
08-12-2021, 10:12 AM
Spurs are never going to voluntarily Tank hard. They can’t afford a lost decade like Phoenix just had. Our lease is up in 11 years.

John B
08-12-2021, 10:36 AM
Spurs are never going to voluntarily Tank hard. They can’t afford a lost decade like Phoenix just had. Our lease is up in 11 years.
They don’t have to try hard. Without major roster changes, this current lineup would have a hard time cracking 100 pts. That should help with the tank.

JeffDuncan
08-12-2021, 11:14 AM
They don’t have to try hard. Without major roster changes, this current lineup would have a hard time cracking 100 pts. That should help with the tank.

Since we’re the Spurs, and we’re classy, we call it “rebuilding” and pretend the verbiage makes a difference. I suppose. Or maybe call it “reshaping” since that even sounds artistic.

The season goals then are:

1. Win 26 games to get Pop the all time wins record (whether Pop himself cares or not.)

2. Win as little as we can beyond that, to get the best possible draft pick.

3. Go into next offseason with some way to sign a star, if one happens to become available.

4. Look cool doing it. Such as being nice to veterans and caring for the disabled.

So things appear.

Rocalcio
08-12-2021, 11:16 AM

Victor made him his bitch in the last U19 World Cup

tapiefan
08-12-2021, 11:43 AM
Since we’re the Spurs, and we’re classy, we call it “rebuilding” and pretend the verbiage makes a difference. I suppose. Or maybe call it “reshaping” since that even sounds artistic.

The season goals then are:

1. Win 26 games to get Pop the all time wins record (whether Pop himself cares or not.)

2. Win as little as we can beyond that, to get the best possible draft pick.

3. Go into next offseason with some way to sign a star, if one happens to become available.

4. Look cool doing it. Such as being nice to veterans and caring for the disabled.

So things appear.

Dont care about next season. If Pop gets the record, fine. But we must NOT sign a star next off season, because that's THE season we have to tank to get Victor. He's only 17, he cant come to the draft before 2023.

We have already missed Doncic (I'm sure the Kings would have been ready to give their FRP for a one-year Kawhi), we cant afford to miss the next european game changer once again.

ducks
08-12-2021, 11:48 AM
Even if they got him
He would break his leg and someone would say man up and he would bolt

SPURt
08-12-2021, 01:26 PM
RIP
:lol

tmtcsc
08-12-2021, 01:38 PM

Gonna be a short nap my guy. This team sucks right now. Lots of potential but no major guns to get W's. This is a tough league and Spurs are in a tough conference & division. I would be surprised & thrilled to be wrong but I'm settling in with realistic expectations. The first years of my fandom saw me cheering helplessly for Ice, Johnny Moore, Gene Banks, Mike Mitchell and A-Train as they tried to overcome the better teams in the West. They were just good enough to put a little sense of urgency in the Lakers during the playoffs.

Then there was the scrap heap with Alvin Robertson, Walter Berry, Cadillac Anderson and Johnny Dawkins. All that losing led to David Robinson who gave us some faint hope and then finally to the man who made this franchise - TIM DUNCAN.

They are starting over and its not going to be pretty.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-12-2021, 02:31 PM

Yeah, this team might be horrible. This team winning 15 games wouldn’t surprise me. Likewise 35 wins wouldn’t surprise me. A winning record would totally surprise me tho.

Seventyniner
08-12-2021, 02:37 PM
Imagine the meltdown if the Spurs win less than 26 games and Pop sticks around for another year to break the record.

Kurgan
08-12-2021, 02:44 PM

Drafting a white American named Chet? Sounds like something the Spurs would do unfortunately

JeffDuncan
08-12-2021, 03:19 PM
Drafting a white American named Chet? Sounds like something the Spurs would do unforrunately

It’s arguably better than drafting a Sherpa named Chet, who’s used to shooting at a 45 degree angle.

RC_Drunkford
08-12-2021, 03:48 PM
Imagine the meltdown if the Spurs win less than 26 games and Pop sticks around for another year to break the record.

That's actually what I'm expecting

BatManu20
08-12-2021, 04:13 PM
Spurs are going to win just enough games to miss out on a Top-3 pick. And it’s gonna suck tbh.

D-Robinson 50 fan
08-12-2021, 04:34 PM
Victor played great In the FIBA U19 tournament a month or so ago.

this season has some really good big men prospects also. I hope we can get a top 5 pick this season in the draft because I like a lot of the guys outside of Holmgren who I’m not a big fan of so far.

I like Paolo Banchero, Nikola Jovic and Jalen Duren a lot.

pad300
08-12-2021, 04:39 PM
... we cant afford to miss the next european game changer once again.

I'm pretty sure we already did that. Sengun knows how to play... (At 19!)

slick'81
08-12-2021, 04:49 PM
Gonna be a short nap my guy. This team sucks right now. Lots of potential but no major guns to get W's. This is a tough league and Spurs are in a tough conference & division. I would be surprised & thrilled to be wrong but I'm settling in with realistic expectations. The first years of my fandom saw me cheering helplessly for Ice, Johnny Moore, Gene Banks, Mike Mitchell and A-Train as they tried to overcome the better teams in the West. They were just good enough to put a little sense of urgency in the Lakers during the playoffs.

Then there was the scrap heap with Alvin Robertson, Walter Berry, Cadillac Anderson and Johnny Dawkins. All that losing led to David Robinson who gave us some faint hope and then finally to the man who made this franchise - TIM DUNCAN.

They are starting over and its not going to be pretty.

i still think white/murray can improve overall. Not sure they fall off a cliff this season but its definitely possible. One key injury to any starter,and its def hasta la vista baby

buttsR4rebounding
08-12-2021, 05:35 PM

That works. We might have a shot at driving a VW.

Seventyniner
08-12-2021, 05:42 PM
i still think white/murray can improve overall. Not sure they fall off a cliff this season but its definitely possible. One key injury to any starter,and its def hasta la vista baby

Do players tend to hit their peaks at a certain age, or after a certain number of years in the league? If it's age then White might be pretty close to his peak already while Murray has a few years to improve. If it's number of years in the league they should be in similar spots in their development curves.

TheGreatYacht
08-12-2021, 06:07 PM
Emoni Bates is better. He’s also Dejounte’s boy. He’s the franchise changing Forward this team needs.

Although knowing this front office, they’ll probably pick some 6’4 kid that no one knows if they are a Point or a Shooting Guard, or a white American big :pctoss

Rocalcio
08-12-2021, 06:37 PM
Emoni Bates is better. He’s also Dejounte’s boy. He’s the franchise changing Forward this team needs.

Although knowing this front office, they’ll probably pick some 6’4 kid that no one knows if they are a Point or a Shooting Guard, or a white American big :pctoss

No, he isn’t better.

TheGreatYacht
08-12-2021, 07:25 PM
No, he isn’t better.
He's better than french Porzingis

BackHome
08-12-2021, 08:48 PM
Spurs are going to win just enough games to miss out on a Top-3 pick. And it’s gonna suck tbh.

And it will be one of the last games that means nothing other then getting a number 1 pick put Pop will play his starters the whole game against a team that is playing there bench and we win by two points...

Rocalcio
08-13-2021, 02:25 AM
He's better than french Porzingis

That will be easy to check once they’re both in the league. But Wembanyama is taller, also has a great handle for his size, and more importantly, he’s much younger. And he will be something totally different from Porzi.

Rummpd
08-13-2021, 05:34 AM
This farce of a FO does not know how to tank effectively or build a team. Don't get your hopes up.

PrimeMinister
08-13-2021, 08:59 AM
Start brushing up on your mid/late lottery talents now it will save you time in a few months

dbestpro
08-13-2021, 09:10 AM

Racist much?

Thomas82
08-13-2021, 11:55 PM
I wish he was available in 2022.

Poolboy5623
08-14-2021, 09:32 AM
I keep seeing this word "tank"... the Spurs as constructed will not need to do such a thing. Good teams tank...the Spurs are not a good team. Their roster will take care of it on its own!

OldMan88
08-14-2021, 06:43 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/blob:https://www.spurstalk.com/e4a6863f-3706-432c-a3a6-31bc2994ed2chttps://www.spurstalk.com/forums/blob:https://www.spurstalk.com/9dd69458-7ab5-4b50-b9f5-5952e45c235fDude looks like Kyle Anderson’s brother.

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AAN87G9.img?h=702&w=1248&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=757&y=424

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/blob:https://www.spurstalk.com/91c0aff7-d875-4054-81b8-f6a58dbba0fc

SAGirl
08-14-2021, 10:07 PM
Is he a guard that measures 6’4” barefoot but we can inflate to 6’6” or 6’7” with a lucky growth spurt?

Allan Rowe vs Wade
08-15-2021, 12:25 AM
too tall

DMX7
08-15-2021, 12:29 AM

Yeah, he reminds me of KD definitely.

BackHome
08-15-2021, 10:25 AM
Either way we need to get a top 3 pick in the next two draft picks to rebound quickly or will live the death of a thousand cuts the next 15 years

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-28-2021, 04:29 AM
With Bates and Duren reclassifying, the 2022 draft looks incredibly strong at the top with also Banchero, Holmgren, Hardy, Griffin all looking like possible top picks and Jovic, Nzosa, Smith, Houstan, Ivey and Baldwin Jr with a legit chance at top 3.

Edit : it appears Bates won't be eligible for the 2022 draft, but it's still a very deep class.

Biggems
08-28-2021, 08:23 AM
I say win it all this year, then club the entire starting lineup and 3 reserves in the knee so they are out for the season, get the top pick, draft the Frenchie, and then become relevant for the next 10-15 years again......

I can dream, so don't dare try to wake me up......

tapiefan
11-02-2021, 02:35 AM
Get rid of Pop, tank hard, and get the next big french thing

https://twitter.com/LNBofficiel/status/1454875433002942464

tapiefan
01-24-2022, 03:03 AM
Projected to be #1 at the 2023 NBA Draft. Let's go Spurs. He is the next big thing.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/33112613/2023-nba-mock-draft-no-1-college-prospect-how-international-class-stacks-possible-breakout-sophomores

R. DeMurre
01-24-2022, 11:22 AM
There is a Tony Parker connection: https://www.archysport.com/2021/06/nba-jeep-elite-victor-wembanyama-arrives-at-asvel-tony-parker-euphoric-2/

BatManu20
01-24-2022, 12:40 PM
Long way out obviously, but Spurs won’t be bad enough next season to have a chance at the #1 overall pick. Our young guys will be a year older/improved and Dejounte will be entering his prime. It would take extraordinary luck unfortunately.

BatManu20
01-24-2022, 12:42 PM
Only way this happens imo is if DJ lets PATFO know that he won’t be re-signing here in 2024 and they end up moving him. And obviously that would be worst case scenario and would set us back even further. Otherwise I don’t see another Avenue to the #1 pick without some insane luck.

KingKev
01-24-2022, 12:44 PM
Long way out obviously, but Spurs won’t be bad enough next season to have a chance at the #1 overall pick. Our young guys will be a year older/improved and Dejounte will be entering his prime. It would take extraordinary luck unfortunately.

We are a little bit of misfortune away from being the worst team in the league. I can easily seeing us being a bottom 5 team again next year if we completely flunk out in free agency again which is a probable given the free agent class and PATFOs risk averse nature.

Another bottom 5 year is what this team needs.

BackHome
01-24-2022, 01:47 PM
To be honest I am surprised that White has not missed a couple of weeks of injury with his foot because if he had I can 100% say we would be dead last. I think the same thing next year who ever we draft will play in G League and Primo is still learning I don't expect much from him until his third year.

If White or Murray miss a couple of weeks of games we have a good chance to fall in the top 3 in this draft and next years draft.

KingKev
01-24-2022, 01:56 PM
To be honest I am surprised that White has not missed a couple of weeks of injury with his foot because if he had I can 100% say we would be dead last. I think the same thing next year who ever we draft will play in G League and Primo is still learning I don't expect much from him until his third year.

If White or Murray miss a couple of weeks of games we have a good chance to fall in the top 3 in this draft and next years draft.

It wouldn’t surprise me if White is playing injured. I’m not big on him and haven’t been in awhile although I respect his defense but if he is ailing maybe he should take some time off as he has no bounce at all and I think that’s what is really hurting his shot and why it is so damn flat. Even his makes are ugly.

exstatic
01-24-2022, 02:06 PM

That’s only the lottery draw position. You draft from post lottery position, which has been much more fluid than before the odds changed. It’s easy to jump into the top 4. 8 or 9 teams have done it for the 12 top 4 positions over the past 3 drafts.

You don’t have to finish with the worst record.

KingKev
01-24-2022, 02:50 PM
Updating lottery odds for ppl who are curious:

we currently have a ~40% chance of a top 4 pick:

https://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

I’d love to see us firmly as the 3rd worst team to finish the year.

exstatic
01-24-2022, 03:02 PM
Updating lottery odds for ppl who are curious:

we currently have a ~40% chance of a top 4 pick:

https://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

I’d love to see us firmly as the 3 worst team to finish the year.

There was a year when 3 of the top 4 position finishers were booted out. Orlando is the current bottom feeder. Do you know what pick they have the highest odds to get? Number 5 at 47.9%.

KingKev
01-24-2022, 03:14 PM
There was a year when 3 of the top 4 position finishers were booted out. Orlando is the current bottom feeder. Do you know what pick they have the highest odds to get? Number 5 at 47.9%.

Well that was the point of flattening out the odds. They have a >50% of top 4 and can’t fall below
a fifth pick.

exstatic
01-24-2022, 03:46 PM
Well that was the point of flattening out the odds. They have a >50% of top 4 and can’t fall below
a fifth pick.

Right, but if you hard tank, and draw the #5? Disaster. You tried to lose but couldn’t even do that right. I like our chances if we stay at 5-6. Decent shot to climb up high in the draft.

KingKev
01-24-2022, 04:06 PM
Right, but if you hard tank, and draw the #5? Disaster. You tried to lose but couldn’t even do that right. I like our chances if we stay at 5-6. Decent shot to climb up high in the draft.

From a pure mathematical standpoint hard tanking still is the correct strategy at optimizing your chance at getting the best draft pick all else equal. There are qualitative factors to consider however.

I’m very happy with this year thus far. Our guys have competed, we’ve had some moral victories, we’ve developed players, we’ve gotten a good look at our group both individually and as a whole and we haven’t sacrificed team culture or player morale. With that being said as you get closer to the end of the season you absolutely want to maximize your odds at a higher pick which means finishing with the worst possible record.

In my opinion, given our current seeding, the 3rd seed is attainable and optimizes those qualitative factors I mentioned above with the math, all else equal.

MultiTroll
01-24-2022, 05:18 PM
and some of you were bagging on Chet Holmgrens 7'0" 195 build?

7'2" 225. This Wemban dude can use some hamburgers too.

tapiefan
05-01-2022, 03:16 AM
Tank for Victor in 2023

https://twitter.com/LNBofficiel/status/1510664134366359552https://twitter.com/LNBofficiel/status/1510664134366359552

Ice009
05-01-2022, 03:32 AM
Darn, he looks good. Is that the team that TP owns that he's playing for?

Not sure what the level of competition is like that he's playing against, but he looked really good.

BatManu20
05-01-2022, 05:46 AM
Spurs are likely going to be a little better this coming year than last. Wembanyama is a bigger pipe dream than Banchero tbh.

Teams will be tanking hard for him at the end of next season though. He’s going to be the biggest prospect since Zion. Looks like a legit franchise player.

BatManu20
05-01-2022, 05:57 AM

tapiefan
05-01-2022, 06:55 AM
Darn, he looks good. Is that the team that TP owns that he's playing for?

Not sure what the level of competition is like that he's playing against, but he looked really good.

Yeah, that's the team TP owns. And the game was in French League.

Ariel
05-01-2022, 09:33 AM
Tank for Victor in 2023

https://twitter.com/LNBofficiel/status/1510664134366359552https://twitter.com/LNBofficiel/status/1510664134366359552
Holy crap. Look at the 1:00 mark how he grabs the ball with one hand after a pass, like you'd do if they throw you a tennis ball. Unlike Chet's, this dude's hype seems legit.

Silverheart80
05-01-2022, 10:20 AM
I've said it elsewhere in recent days, but this is the guy the Spurs should be aiming for. Or at the very least, the 2023 Draft is where PATFO should be focusing, not this year's. The more the Spurs can trade this year's draft picks and convert them into 2023 1st-rounders, the better. Stockpile trade assets with that draft in mind.

I don't think the Spurs have to hard-tank to be in the 2023 Lottery. The current lineup is bad enough to get there, even with another year's worth of 'seasoning'. No current Spur creates a consistent matchup problem against other teams over an entire season. Great character guys. I love 'em, but none is a threat to dominate a 4th quarter night after night. So if PATFO stands pat with the current roster and doesn't add something to make us an 8-seed, they'll lose plenty despite best efforts. But if they get lucky enough to add Wembanyama to this lineup, I think this team competes for rings again. Whatever team gets him -- he's going to be *such* a matchup nightmare. He'll change the balance of the floor every night. Make life easier for all his teammates, even as a rookie.

I don't think there's a 2022 draft pick or free agent that can turn the current Spurs roster into a championship team. Wembanyama can. I'll take a 5-10% chance at him any day over a 0% chance of winning a championship with the current Spurs roster + anyone available in the upcoming summer.

FutureMan
05-01-2022, 11:12 AM
Spurs are likely going to be a little better this coming year than last. Wembanyama is a bigger pipe dream than Banchero tbh.

Teams will be tanking hard for him at the end of next season though. He’s going to be the biggest prospect since Zion. Looks like a legit franchise player.

Not sure I see many teams worse than the Spurs next year. Which teams are you thinking of?

offset formation
05-01-2022, 12:31 PM
Somehow or another, and despite their horrible draft pick and cap status, he'll end up in LA.

Or NY. Or Miami. Or Chicago.

JPB
05-01-2022, 03:28 PM
BY the way, he's 7'3.

daslicer
05-01-2022, 03:36 PM
Somehow or another, and despite their horrible draft pick and cap status, he'll end up in LA.

Or NY. Or Miami. Or Chicago.

LA doesn't have a draft pick until 2027.

BatManu20
05-01-2022, 03:46 PM
Not sure I see many teams worse than the Spurs next year. Which teams are you thinking of?

Thunder
Pistons
Magic
Rockets
Kings
Pacers
Wizards

Those are the teams I think we’ll be better than for sure. Lakers and Knicks are wild cards.

RC_Drunkford
05-01-2022, 05:33 PM
the Detroit Pistons will be a force in 2030

rascal
05-01-2022, 07:29 PM
I've said it elsewhere in recent days, but this is the guy the Spurs should be aiming for. Or at the very least, the 2023 Draft is where PATFO should be focusing, not this year's. The more the Spurs can trade this year's draft picks and convert them into 2023 1st-rounders, the better. Stockpile trade assets with that draft in mind.

I don't think the Spurs have to hard-tank to be in the 2023 Lottery. The current lineup is bad enough to get there, even with another year's worth of 'seasoning'. No current Spur creates a consistent matchup problem against other teams over an entire season. Great character guys. I love 'em, but none is a threat to dominate a 4th quarter night after night. So if PATFO stands pat with the current roster and doesn't add something to make us an 8-seed, they'll lose plenty despite best efforts. But if they get lucky enough to add Wembanyama to this lineup, I think this team competes for rings again. Whatever team gets him -- he's going to be *such* a matchup nightmare. He'll change the balance of the floor every night. Make life easier for all his teammates, even as a rookie.

I don't think there's a 2022 draft pick or free agent that can turn the current Spurs roster into a championship team. Wembanyama can. I'll take a 5-10% chance at him any day over a 0% chance of winning a championship with the current Spurs roster + anyone available in the upcoming summer.

So many unknowns, the Spurs might have an injury or two and then the tank will be on.

They aren't deep enough to have a good record next year if they have a key injury.

Ariel
05-01-2022, 07:35 PM
Thunder
Pistons
Magic
Rockets
Kings
Pacers
Wizards

Those are the teams I think we’ll be better than for sure. Lakers and Knicks are wild cards.
On paper I agree. But it depends on the way the Spurs go this summer. If they sign Lavine and keep Poeltl, they are out of the lottery altogether. If they just keep Poeltl and draft well, they'll make the play in and may be in the late lottery or out of it. If they shock us all and also trade Dejounte for a few young players in an out of character rebuild move, then it could happen. But I give that scenario 1 in a 100 chance, if that.

rascal
05-01-2022, 07:41 PM

He's not taking into account that other teams are likely to improve. Just thinking the Spurs will improve while others stay the same.
The Spurs were healthy this year and still were not a playoff team, a key injury and they will be near the bottom.

The Spurs are closer to the bottom than to the top with their current roster.

There's going to be a need for a big turnover on the roster for the spurs to be good enough to be back in title contention.

rascal
05-01-2022, 07:43 PM
On paper I agree. But it depends on the way the Spurs go this summer. If they sign Lavine and keep Poeltl, they are out of the lottery altogether. If they just keep Poeltl and draft well, they'll make the play in and may be in the late lottery or out of it. If they shock us all and also trade Dejounte for a few young players in an out of character rebuild move, then it could happen. But I give that scenario 1 in a 100 chance, if that.

A key injury could also knock them into one of the worst teams in the league. The spurs are not very deep in talent.

offset formation
05-01-2022, 08:33 PM

That was my point.

Ariel
05-01-2022, 08:36 PM
A key injury could also knock them into one of the worst teams in the league. The spurs are not very deep in talent.
True, but the only player I see having such an impact is Dejounte, and him suffering a season ending injury is not a scenario I'd be looking for, for a 14% chance at Wembanyama.

daslicer
05-01-2022, 08:45 PM
That was my point.

So your point was that he will eventually go to LA? If that's your point you can say that about pretty much every young prospect.

wildbill2u
05-01-2022, 09:17 PM
The idea that any team can tank and get to draft a consensus #1 pick is ludicrous. They might get a favorable percentage likelihood of getting to draft #1, but the lottery ball modification to the draft made it impossible to guarantee success by tanking.

offset formation
05-01-2022, 09:46 PM
So your point was that he will eventually go to LA? If that's your point you can say that about pretty much every young prospect.

True. But I'm also suggesting a certain level of nefariousness that seems to allow LA especially to always get the best prospects, best players, despite their front office and player development being absolute shit.

daslicer
05-01-2022, 10:31 PM
True. But I'm also suggesting a certain level of nefariousness that seems to allow LA especially to always get the best prospects, best players, despite their front office and player development being absolute shit.

To me it came to light during the '17-'18 season when they tried to steal Kawhi and almost pulled it off. Prior to that season I didn't even pay attention to the Lakers since they were pure trash and had been garbage for a while, so they fell off my radar. It took me by surprise and caught me off guard when they attempted to steal Kawhi and also get Lebron and Davis which with the latter they were able to pull off. It surprised me because even though I had known for a longtime LA is a hot destination but I didn't think anybody would want to play for the Lakers due to the crappy roster and incompetent front office they had. I based this off of the Knicks how they play in NYC which is the biggest market but nobody wants to play for them due to having a stupid owner and incompetent front office.

This was a lesson I learned the hard way which is the Lakers will always get a pass from these players for being incompetent. Anyways I would say the whole entire league outside of Miami, NYC, Chicago is always at risk of getting their players pouched from by the Lakers. It's a cold reality we have to deal with.

MultiTroll
05-01-2022, 10:55 PM
This was a lesson I learned the hard way which is the Lakers will always get a pass from these players for being incompetent. Anyways I would say the whole entire league outside of Miami, NYC, Chicago is always at risk of getting their players pouched from by the Lakers. It's a cold reality we have to deal with.
Wonder how hard they tried to get Timmy Duncan?

daslicer
05-01-2022, 11:16 PM

They never really had the chance to pry Duncan since Shaq and Kobe were already their cornerstones and back then the idea of the super team didn't exist. I don't think Duncan and Shaq could play together so Duncan would never considered going down there. Once Shaq left they would not have been able to pry Duncan since the Spurs already established Parker and Ginobili as stars. So I think they never bothered with Duncan since there was never really the opportune situation to sell him a pitch.

rascal
05-01-2022, 11:24 PM
No doubt there is always the risk of losing players to The Lakers but that doesn't mean the Lakers can get anyone they want.

daslicer
05-02-2022, 01:09 AM
No doubt there is always the risk of losing players to The Lakers but that doesn't mean the Lakers can get anyone they want.

I agree I'm of the mindset once the Spurs get their next superstar they just have to go out there maximize their chances to win with that superstar and let the chips fall as they may. If they can't win when that superstar's restricted contract is up he probably will leave but that's ok.

Seventyniner
05-02-2022, 09:41 AM

That's not right, at least from what this site says. https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

It looks like the Pelicans have the right to swap picks with the Lakers next year and get the Lakers 2024 first outright, but beyond that the Lakers have all their own firsts. The earliest first the Lakers can trade away is the 2026 pick.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-02-2022, 10:26 AM
That's not right, at least from what this site says. https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

It looks like the Pelicans have the right to swap picks with the Lakers next year and get the Lakers 2024 first outright, but beyond that the Lakers have all their own firsts. The earliest first the Lakers can trade away is the 2026 pick.

This is true with the only caveat that the Lakers can't trade their 2026 pick until NO decide whether they want their 2024 first or 2025 first, thus the earliest first the Lakers can trade is 2027.

BatManu20
05-07-2022, 02:47 PM

Silverheart80
06-25-2022, 10:13 PM
Bump.

All this uncertainty surrounding DJM..... the word that the Spurs want three 1st-rounders minimum for him..... draft moves that netted two more guards + no center..... the ongoing lack of balance in the roster w/ a call for 'versatility'..... I'm good with all of it.

May this lead to a season of heavy minutes for young guys and a bottom-three league finish at best. We all know Pop is not gonna tank games. The good news is if this roster stays the way it is, and doesn't make big swings in free agency -- Pop won't need to tank. Losses will take care of themselves.

The more losses, the better the raffle ticket for Wembanyama.

And even if the Spurs don't get the #1, 2023 is gonna be one helluva draft + free agency period. Just one more year of patience.

If this is what the GM is aiming toward, count me in for all of it.

Ariel
06-25-2022, 10:23 PM
Three first rounders is trash. For a 25 y.o. 2 way all star you need much more than that. The picks need to be in the lottery, very lightly protected, and add in a really good young player on a good deal (i.e. not Collins). Atlanta's picks will not be lottery ones, and they have no one of real interest. If they're going to take that, I would have preferred they offered him to NY who is desperate for a PG. They gladly would have given you this year's pick plus several picks (they have 3 future firsts + theirs) and swaps, I think we could have gotten 4 picks at least plus swaps, EASILY.

BatManu20
06-25-2022, 10:29 PM
In theory this is the right move, as the Spurs desperately need a true franchise player, and Wembanyana would give us that (it looks like). The problem with this, obviously, is that even if we are a bottom five team — which, given our track record of refusing to tank, seems highly unlikely — the odds are still stacked against us in terms of winning the lottery.

Unfortunately I think if we don’t trade DJ — which also seems unlikely at this point — we’re not going to be anywhere near bad enough to have a chance at Victor or the other couple blue chippers like Scoot Henderson, Nick Smith, or Dariq Whitehead. Dejounte just raises the ceiling of this team too high. Plus our young guys like Keldon, Vassell, Primo, etc. are going to be a year older/more seasoned, and will probably better this season. Just don’t see it happening sadly, as badly as we need it to.

Silverheart80
06-25-2022, 10:36 PM
Three first rounders is trash. For a 25 y.o. 2 way all star you need much more than that. The picks need to be in the lottery, very lightly protected, and add in a really good young player on a good deal (i.e. not Collins). Atlanta's picks will not be lottery ones, and they have no one of real interest. If they're going to take that, I would have preferred they offered him to NY who is desperate for a PG. They gladly would have given you this year's pick plus several picks (they have 3 future firsts + theirs) and swaps, I think we could have gotten 4 picks at least plus swaps, EASILY.

Music to my ears. Agree with all of this. I didn’t say Spurs should *just* get three 1sts. It’s the item being spread around. Love DJM, but if we’re aiming for Wembanyama, the current design makes sense to me.

Silverheart80
06-25-2022, 10:44 PM
In theory this is the right move, as the Spurs desperately need a true franchise player, and Wembanyana would give us that (it looks like). The problem with this, obviously, is that even if we are a bottom five team — which, given our track record of refusing to tank, seems highly unlikely — the odds are still stacked against us in terms of winning the lottery.

Unfortunately I think if we don’t trade DJ — which also seems unlikely at this point — we’re not going to be anywhere near bad enough to have a chance at Victor or the other couple blue chippers like Scoot Henderson, Nick Smith, or Dariq Whitehead. Dejounte just raises the ceiling of this team too high. Plus our young guys like Keldon, Vassell, Primo, etc. are going to be a year older/more seasoned, and will probably better this season. Just don’t see it happening sadly, as badly as we need it to.

Yeah, I hear you. So much can happen before next year’s draft. I think you’re right that DJM raises the win ceiling of this team a bit too high for good hopes, but I also see we have zero players that create constant offensive mismatches night after night. Hard to think of another team as bad as we are in that department coming into this next season. Like I said, I don’t think we need to tank. The roster design will allow the losses to happen because we don’t create nightly mismatches of any consequence. I’m OK with this for the sake of the big picture.

BatManu20
06-25-2022, 10:47 PM
He does look like he’ll be a fucking two-way monster though.

Rudy Gobert + Kevin Durant hybrid (though he’s not on Durant’s level as a scorer obviously).

7’3 230 lb Point-Center with a 7’9 wingspan. Just a wild prospect.

BatManu20
06-25-2022, 10:53 PM
Should also be noted that Wembanyama was only 4 days away from being eligible for THIS year’s draft. And he would’ve easily gone #1 over Banchero as an 18 year-old.

BatManu20
06-25-2022, 10:57 PM
Hopefully that clip from Jonathan Givony ending on the OKC logo isn’t an omen. Cause they’re gonna suck ass again this year and will likely have the best odds or close to it for the top pick next summer.

Silverheart80
06-25-2022, 11:11 PM
He does look like he’ll be a fucking two-way monster though.

Rudy Gobert + Kevin Durant hybrid (though he’s not on Durant’s level as a scorer obviously).

7’3 230 lb Point-Center with a 7’9 wingspan. Just a wild prospect.

Nailed it.

Yeah, I see people comparing him to Porzingis or glossing him as ‘Chet 2.0’. And I’m sorry but these miss the boat entirely.

We hear the word ‘generational’ a little too often, but this guy is what it looks like. Doesn’t just make a team better but shifts the entire landscape. I look at some of his passing angles and wonder, ‘How the hell do you stop that?’ I remember dreaming back when ‘what if we win the lottery and somehow score David?’ And then it happened.

No guarantee but if any player is worth the pain of the raffle ticket, this guy’s it. Plus the upper crust selections below him in the next draft are gonna be so good.

slick'81
06-25-2022, 11:14 PM
Even as bad as sa was this past season they pretty much topped out at the 6th spot. Gonna take luck and a helluva lot more losing to get in that top 3

KobesAchilles
06-25-2022, 11:21 PM
I know everybody shit talks tanking. But if there ever was a year to tank, it’s this one. Jak gets more back spasms. DJ rests a bit after the all star break due to soreness. Start a few rookies here and there for our games. We have the roster to tank tbh if we sit out a few guys.

slick'81
06-25-2022, 11:24 PM
I know everybody shit talks tanking. But if there ever was a year to tank, it’s this one. Jak gets more back spasms. DJ rests a bit after the all star break due to soreness. Start a few rookies here and there for our games. We have the roster to tank tbh if we sit out a few guys.

:pop:"Never"

rascal
06-25-2022, 11:32 PM
The Spurs will find a flaw in his character and pass him up.

rascal
06-25-2022, 11:35 PM
They should tank as it worked for the teams that tanked this year.

Trade DJ and Poeltl and get draft picks and a vet PG as those guys are not in the long term plans of the team.

Just play the rookies and give them minutes to grow.

Ariel
06-25-2022, 11:41 PM
Hopefully that clip from Jonathan Givony ending on the OKC logo isn’t an omen. Cause they’re gonna suck ass again this year and will likely have the best odds or close to it for the top pick next summer.
Well, the league has to do something about it. At some point, you have to stop rewarding tanking, or you get shameless franchises doing this for a living. Something like a draft lottery quota, where each slot is awarded a given amount of points (based on some statistical value per pic) and you can only gain so many in a give time frame. If you suck 2 years, we'll help you. If you suck 3/4 years, we'll stop rewarding you. If you suck 5+ years, your detrimental to the league and we'll start taxing you. Then you'll see just how fast the Prestis of the league will have to play the sport, and not basketball monopoly.

NickiRasgo
06-26-2022, 11:03 AM
Imagine if OKC next year got the 1st pick next NBA Draft. lol Unicorn Towers.

DAF86
06-26-2022, 11:41 AM
Unfortunately, you just can't tell folks like DJ, Poeltl, Vassell and Keldon to stop trying to win. They are on a clear upwards trajectory and you can't just take a year of development from them.

offset formation
06-26-2022, 12:15 PM
Imagine if OKC next year got the 1st pick next NBA Draft. lol Unicorn Towers.

They have so many draft picks they could conceivably buy the draft pick if they want by packaging a player like SGA or Giddey and some of those picks. They have a lot of potential flexibility. Adding Wembanyama would give them 3 unicorns tbh

mo7888
06-26-2022, 12:46 PM
Unfortunately, you just can't tell folks like DJ, Poeltl, Vassell and Keldon to stop trying to win. They are on a clear upwards trajectory and you can't just take a year of development from them.

Yup...but you can trade 2 or 3 of them away for more ping pong balls in next years draft...

CGD
06-26-2022, 12:46 PM
They have so many draft picks they could conceivably buy the draft pick if they want by packaging a player like SGA or Giddey and some of those picks. They have a lot of potential flexibility. Adding Wembanyama would give them 3 unicorns tbh

No way anyone passes on that kid, even with the whole war chest throw at them.

We’ll find out here soon (I hope) what path the spurs will follow: build around the Murray timeline or tear it down.

rascal
06-26-2022, 01:57 PM

The Lakers are always in play for all the stars in the league and often pull it off.

They don't build through the draft and have a history of using free agency and splashy trades to turn their team around.

BatManu20
06-26-2022, 02:44 PM
His wingspan is nuts. Will be a monster paint protector.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWBTko6XwAECIKr?format=jpg&name=medium

FutureMan
06-26-2022, 02:51 PM

Those players can continue to get better but the question is if their ceiling is much higher to keep up with other teams progression. If the season starts now what teams are for sure worse? People are highly, and I mean highly, underrating a few teams that finished below the Spurs last year.

Silverheart80
06-26-2022, 03:25 PM

Agree. Pop's not gonna tank a single game. Spurs players won't tank a single game.

The thing is -- because the current roster is devoid of players that create mismatches on a nightly basis -- the Spurs don't have to tank to lose big. The roster is designed in such an unbalanced way. And I do think it's a design by the GM, with (what I hope) is a purpose of getting a raffle ticket for the '23 Draft, while still allowing the team to 'play the right way'. I think next year's draft, and the '23 Free Agency are the fulcrum points that decide how high this team can aspire in the coming years.

You get Wembanyama as a Spur and it changes everything because he changes the entire shape of the floor. He'll be a nightmare for opponents every night, even while he's just figuring out the NBA game. Worth a losing season this year to have a shot at him. And if the Spurs don't get him -- next year's top end selections are gonna still be better than this year's.

The question is -- not all teams are gonna take the high road like the Spurs and there *will* be tankers. Who's in the best position to tank and compete for that #1? OKC and Houston are racking up so much talent that I don't know how they can tank without being grossly obvious. Their win ceiling seems like it'll be higher than the Spurs just on talent alone, but I'm sure they'll try to lowball. I see the Knicks, Pacers, and Kings as being tankers for sure. Surely the Magic and the Pistons should have a higher win ceiling than the Spurs with two top-5 picks in two years, but they might be in the tankathon, depending on whether the Pistons' backcourt gels, and whether Isaac materializes for the Magic. Maybe the Wizards too, depending on how things pan out with Beal's free agency.

So what is that -- 8 possible teams that could have worse records than the Spurs next year? And tbh, I don't think there are even that many.

Whatever happens -- I'm gonna enjoy watching a development year of the guys we have. I just hope we don't panic into a bad free agent signing (Ayton, Lavine) and mess up the curve that I suspect is being built.

KingKev
06-26-2022, 03:31 PM
The good thing about coach Pop is sometimes when he is going all-in he actually fking sucks and out coaches himself. If DJ and Jak have extended injuries we are a bottom 5 team which gives you a 40% probability.

Silverheart80
06-26-2022, 03:48 PM
The good thing about coach Pop is sometimes when he is going all-in he actually fking sucks and out coaches himself. If DJ and Jak have extended injuries we are a bottom 5 team which gives you a 40% probability.

LOL Word. I love Pop, but yeah.

DAF86
06-26-2022, 04:38 PM
Yup...but you can trade 2 or 3 of them away for more ping pong balls in next years draft...

Nobody in the lottery would do that, and other types of ping pong balls won't help us get this French kid.

mo7888
06-26-2022, 04:40 PM
Nobody in the lottery would do that, and other types of ping pong balls won't help us get this French kid.

They won't if we wait until next offseason to make a trade but there are teams that are interested in DJ that moght include an unprotected pick in FA in about a week...

DAF86
06-26-2022, 04:51 PM
They won't if we wait until next offseason to make a trade but there are teams that are interested in DJ that moght include an unprotected pick in FA in about a week...

Any team looking to include DJ won't be bad enough to give us number one draft odds.

Mr. Body
06-26-2022, 05:28 PM
The Spurs aren't going to try to lose. Ain't in the team culture. Even if they tank, best they can do is like a 24% chance at the top pick. No thanks.

mo7888
06-26-2022, 05:48 PM
Any team looking to include DJ won't be bad enough to give us number one draft odds.

Because DJ has been getting us to the playoffs right....seriously a NY team with DJ isn't making the playoffs...

lefty20
06-26-2022, 07:45 PM
The Lakers are always in play for all the stars in the league and often pull it off.

They don't build through the draft and have a history of using free agency and splashy trades to turn their team around.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/vl9cr0/1_overall_pick_paolo_banchero_reveals_his_top_5/

Banchero to LAL confirmed when he hits UFA, tbh.

rascal
06-26-2022, 10:45 PM
The Spurs aren't going to try to lose. Ain't in the team culture. Even if they tank, best they can do is like a 24% chance at the top pick. No thanks.

They tanked for Duncan so it's in their culture if it's worth to tank.

rascal
06-26-2022, 10:47 PM

It's very hard to get unprotected draft picks and especially next year to get an unprotected draft pick.

daslicer
06-26-2022, 10:52 PM
If they trade Dejounte, then they would be heading in that direction.

mo7888
06-26-2022, 11:18 PM
It's very hard to get unprotected draft picks and especially next year to get an unprotected draft pick.

No doubt it's not easy but with so many teams capped out there will be pressure to get something done and that will raise asking prices...I think you'll see a few unprotected picks change hands in various deals around the league.

DAF86
06-26-2022, 11:19 PM
Because DJ has been getting us to the playoffs right....seriously a NY team with DJ isn't making the playoffs...

They might make the playoffs, they might not. But they won't be bad enough to give us the number one pick. That's for sure.

mo7888
06-26-2022, 11:22 PM
They might make the playoffs, they might not. But they won't be bad enough to give us the number one pick. That's for sure.

If they're in the lottery they increase our odds but what increases the odds the most is our own pick if we trade DJ/Jak..

RC_Drunkford
06-27-2022, 09:34 AM
Change of plans from Tony Parker: He wants to build Asvel Villeurbanne around Victor Wembanyama. The French champion offers him to be the centrepiece of his project if he decides to continue next season. The player has an offer from Paris Basketball. According to @Eurohoopsnet (https://twitter.com/Eurohoopsnet)

DAF86
06-27-2022, 10:18 AM
Change of plans from Tony Parker: He wants to build Asvel Villeurbanne around Victor Wembanyama. The French champion offers him to be the centrepiece of his project if he decides to continue next season. The player has an offer from Paris Basketball. According to @Eurohoopsnet (https://twitter.com/Eurohoopsnet)

I don't know how the whole draft thing works with international players, but if Victor doesn't make himself elegible for the draft, then, in upcoming years, any team could sign him as a free agent, right?

Maybe Tony could do us a solid, lock him in France for a couple of years and then we can sign him outright.

JPB
06-27-2022, 10:37 AM
I don't know how the whole draft thing works with international players, but if Victor doesn't make himself elegible for the draft, then, in upcoming years, any team could sign him as a free agent, right?

Maybe Tony could do us a solid, lock him in France for a couple of years and then we can sign him outright.

Don't know if it has changed but If a player does not declare, in the calendar year when he turns 22, he is declared automatically eligible (i.e. he's able to be drafted whether the player himself desires to be in the NBA draft or not) and any NBA team can draft him.

Not that it would happen anyway. barring injury he's #1 pick next year. No point spending3 or 4 years in Europe playing against weaker oppostions (no offense) retarding your development in NBA.

RC_Drunkford
06-27-2022, 11:10 AM

I hope he can help us get him. Can't he stay in France until he's too old for the draft and then sign with us? :lol

cutewizard
06-28-2022, 05:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K69YJMPhFG8

cutewizard
06-28-2022, 05:18 AM
my god, the very apotheosis of the game of basketball > WENBANYAMA................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tapiefan
06-29-2022, 04:31 AM

https://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/Actualites/Victor-wembanyama-va-quitter-l-asvel/1340917

Victor Wembanyama has announced he decided to leave ASVEL. He wants to get closer to Paris. Could be Paris Basketball or Metropolitains 92 (coached by Collet). G League Ignite could be an option as well.

Once again, tank hard next season and draft Victor.

BackHome
06-29-2022, 04:55 PM
Well the Tanking has Just Started - We got two picks in 2023 our and Charlottes/Atlanta - Who knows maybe we can flip Jakob to get one more pick in 2023

DAF86
06-29-2022, 09:33 PM
timvp pin this thread, tbh.

offset formation
06-29-2022, 09:38 PM
Well the Tanking has Just Started - We got two picks in 2023 our and Charlottes/Atlanta - Who knows maybe we can flip Jakob to get one more pick in 2023

We shouldn't have any problem getting a first for him. Maybe even a FRP and SRP.

BackHome
06-29-2022, 09:42 PM
Yeah, that is my thoughts also I am all ready checking out 2023 mocks and a couple of cats have caught my eye - I know everyone is talking about W.................... but there are two or three guys I would be very happy in getting

slick'81
06-29-2022, 11:15 PM
Yeah, that is my thoughts also I am all ready checking out 2023 mocks and a couple of cats have caught my eye - I know everyone is talking about W.................... but there are two or three guys I would be very happy in getting

the spurs clearly think so

KingKev
06-30-2022, 02:28 AM
The DJ trade will be easier to stomach if this team really is committed to tanking but I’m not convinced they are.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-30-2022, 02:31 AM

Way too early obviously, but the 2023 draft appears to be significantly stronger than this year's. Wembanyama and Henderson are true tier 1 prospects, there are also Whitehead, Lively, Smith, Thompson brothers who'd all have a claim to be better than anyone from the 2022 draft. Of course some of them will disappoint, perhaps someone else rises, but there's little question about the draft being the best in years.

ace3g
06-30-2022, 09:44 AM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1542517566957989890

mo7888
06-30-2022, 09:52 AM
The DJ trade will be easier to stomach if this team really is committed to tanking but I’m not convinced they are.

I think they are but, that is the next big question to be answered for sure..

BatManu20
06-30-2022, 09:52 AM

BatManu20
06-30-2022, 09:55 AM

XDT76
06-30-2022, 10:17 AM
Would ST explode if the Spurs get ard 9th lottery pick again? Look at the line up Jones/JRich/Vassell/KJ/Poeltl and Primo/Lonnie or Branham/McD/Sochan/Zollins. We might end up in a similar position as last year.

Ignazzz
06-30-2022, 10:19 AM
Would ST explode if the Spurs get ard 9th lottery pick again? Look at the line up Jones/JRich/Vassell/KJ/Poeltl and Primo/Lonnie or Branham/McD/Sochan/Zollins. We might end up in a similar position as last year.

without Poeltl extra? No way

cd98
06-30-2022, 11:10 AM
I'm glad we are finally tanking. No shame in it. And smart to do it in July and not "try" to make the play in for 3-4 months and then tank. We can't do that and keep up with the expert tankers. We have to start taking from the minute the preseason starts.

RC_Drunkford
06-30-2022, 12:46 PM

absolutely. Spurs need to be in the bottom 3, best case scenario is they the worst team in the NBA

BatManu20
06-30-2022, 12:50 PM
#1*

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWdXOXwXEAAXFY_?format=jpg&name=small

BatManu20
06-30-2022, 12:51 PM
#1*

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWdXOXwXEAAXFY_?format=jpg&name=small.

BatManu20
06-30-2022, 12:52 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWc1UFEVsAAMOlI?format=jpg&name=large

BatManu20
06-30-2022, 12:55 PM
This kid’s gotta be 7’4 at least. Chet is a legit 7’1, though he has poor posture in this photo. Players over 7’2 usually have knee and/or back problems early on in their careers. This kid’s size makes me nervous. Especially when you consider that he doesn’t play like an old-school Center. He plays like an athletic guard.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWdBhaQXkAMK8QP?format=jpg&name=small

John B
06-30-2022, 01:23 PM
https://twitter.com/BradeauxNBA/status/1542261458272149505?s=20&t=kvZkpR0H8d_UO1scI6mxtw

BatManu20
06-30-2022, 04:37 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWh8SX8WQAEziz6?format=jpg&name=medium

slick'81
06-30-2022, 04:59 PM
Dude is an athletic marvel. No wonder spurs are all in on the tank

offset formation
06-30-2022, 06:15 PM
Assuming his body doesn't fail him, he's the next Jordan, LeBron.

slick'81
06-30-2022, 06:49 PM

duncan,magic etc etc. Hes the real deal and the spurs know it

bluebellmaniac
06-30-2022, 06:56 PM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1542517566957989890

I'd assume there's a buyout clause in there.

DAF86
06-30-2022, 07:39 PM
ctysWWZKqYk

I want everybody gone on the Spurs roster by the start of the season. Tank. Tank hard. Tank like you've never tanked in your life.

RC_Drunkford
06-30-2022, 07:59 PM
ctysWWZKqYk

I want everybody gone on the Spurs roster by the start of the season. Tank. Tank hard. Tank like you've never tanked in your life.

we absolutely need to get this guy. If we get him, we're back immediately

tim_duncan_fan
07-01-2022, 01:48 AM
Is he Tony French or Ian French?

cutewizard
07-01-2022, 04:51 AM
tannnnnnnnnnkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

pls

skin27
07-01-2022, 01:48 PM
I thought spurs never tank and they can develop 40th to 60th picks and make them a great players.

slick'81
07-01-2022, 02:27 PM
I thought spurs never tank and they can develop 40th to 60th picks and make them a great players.

they sucked for david and lucked into tim.

skin27
07-01-2022, 04:08 PM
But most people think spurs is good in making lottery pick into a great players

slick'81
07-01-2022, 04:09 PM
But most people think spurs is good in making lottery pick into a great players

still time with primo,devin&sochan

skin27
07-01-2022, 04:26 PM
If spurs tank for wembanyama it means they are no longer good in making lottery picks into great players..

Chomag
07-01-2022, 04:35 PM
Stuff some PEDs down him and call it a day!

Just kidding we all know LeBron is the only player that can get away with that. All joking aside tanking is going to be tuff there are some other teams that are masters at tanking every year.

Leetonidas
07-01-2022, 04:38 PM
If spurs tank for wembanyama it means they are no longer good in making lottery picks into great players..

Or maybe it just means they see a generational prospect in the next draft and want a shot at him. Not really hard to understand. What teams are routinely taking guys drafted after 10 into franchise leading great players? I'll wait

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2022, 04:58 PM
yeh and what happens if the spurs fail to win the lottery? whats the next best option to draft?

Leetonidas
07-01-2022, 05:50 PM
yeh and what happens if the spurs fail to win the lottery? whats the next best option to draft?

Scoot Henderson is supposed to be the clear other top prospect in the next draft

Dejounte
07-01-2022, 05:54 PM
Scoot averaged 14 , 5 , and 3 in the g league this past season and is supposed to be a generational player that is better than anyone from this latest draft

thats how overhyped this upcoming draft is.

ill bet the projected top 8 right now that people are claiming are really good wont be the same top 8 by next year. Jumping the gun on these uncertainties is everybody’s favorite thing to do.

mystargtr34
07-01-2022, 06:24 PM
Scoot averaged 14 , 5 , and 3 in the g league this past season and is supposed to be a generational player that is better than anyone from this latest draft

thats how overhyped this upcoming draft is.

ill bet the projected top 8 right now that people are claiming are really good wont be the same top 8 by next year. Jumping the gun on these uncertainties is everybody’s favorite thing to do.

Yeah happens every year. You can almost garuantee two of the consensus top 10 prospects as of now will end up as second round picks by next years draft.

Wembanyama does look like a generaltoonal prospect. Scoot Henderson I haven’t looked at much, I struggle to see how a 6’3 guard can be a generational prospect but we’ll see.

John B
07-01-2022, 06:30 PM
Stuff some PEDs down him and call it a day!

Just kidding we all know LeBron is the only player that can get away with that. All joking aside tanking is going to be tuff there are some other teams that are masters at tanking every year.

Yup gotta shameless first to tank blatantly like OKC and Rockets

ace3g
07-01-2022, 07:15 PM
Not a salary cap expert and was wondering does a team typically tank in season when they have a lot of cap space?

spurraider21
07-01-2022, 07:16 PM
Not a salary cap expert and was wondering does a team typically tank in season when they have a lot of cap space?
well usually you try to sell/rent out your cap space in exchange for picks to help facilitate trades. take on bad contracts, etc

BackHome
07-01-2022, 08:46 PM
You know as long as we land a top 3 pick I’ll be Very Happy

Big Empty
07-02-2022, 11:08 AM
This guy looks tall, tiny and weird lol

Drom John
07-02-2022, 05:03 PM
Yeah happens every year. You can almost garuantee two of the consensus top 10 prospects as of now will end up as second round picks by next years draft.

Decided to answer before looking up an answer, and chose only the first hit:

Bleacher Report | Way-Too-Early 2022 NBA Mock Draft
Johnathan Wasserman, July 31, 2021

1) Chet Holmgren
2) Paolo Banchero
3) Jaden Hardy
4) Yannick Nzosa
5) Jalen Duren
6) AJ Griffin
7) Jabari Smith
8) Caleb Houstan
9) Patrick Baldwin, Jr.
10) Matthew Cleveland

rascal
07-02-2022, 06:21 PM

Lew Alcindor

BatManu20
07-03-2022, 02:28 PM
Victor Wembanyama injury historyWembanyama has had several injuries in his young career. His season ended on June 3 after what’s been reported as a psoas injury (https://lookcharms.com/victor-wembanyama-from-asvel-to-paris-basketball/). It was his third injury of the season. He also suffered a small fracture of his finger in Nov., and then had a stress fracture in his fibula (https://sportando.basketball/en/victor-wembanyama-out-8-weeks-with-fibula-stress-fracture/?dev) that cost him two months starting to Dec.

BatManu20
07-03-2022, 02:29 PM
Problem with 7’5 guys is they’re almost ALL injury prone. This kid is a ridiculous prospect but I’d bet good money that he deals with a lot of injuries throughout his career. Wouldn’t be surprised if his career is cut short by them.

Ariel
07-03-2022, 02:31 PM
(About Victor Wembanyama of France): "I don’t really give too many people credit, but I give credit to this guy right here. I thought I was tall, I thought I had long arms, but he takes it to a whole other level. He moves great. He’s got a shot. He’s got skills too. He’s gonna be a rich man one day. I know he’s gonna keep working. Hopefully I’ll be able to see him in the NBA and continue to play against him for a long time." - USA forward Chet Holmgren

https://i.ibb.co/s94m5gT/a.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/HDhGf8f/b.jpg

https://www.fiba.basketball/es/world/u19/2021/game/1107/Estados-Unidos-Francia#tab=boxscore
Final game USA vs France:
Wembanyama: 22 pts, 8 reb, 9 blocks
Holmgren: 10 pts, 5 reb., 5 asists, 0 blocks

Oh... Wembanyama is almost 2 years younger than Holmgren...

BatManu20
07-03-2022, 02:32 PM
Wemby is somehow still listed at 7’2 but that’s obv a joke. He’s look a legit 7’5+. Here is is standing beside 7’4 Center Zach Edey from Purdue and 7’1 Chet Holmgren. This kid is massive.

https://www.fiba.basketball/api/img/graphic/8e6b6558-4e4c-431a-ac58-88926ab36a6a/1000/1000?mt=.jpg

BackHome
07-04-2022, 01:24 AM
Yeah I think you reach a size where it's not good for your body or the game as far as being able to stay healthy. I like the Kid but I agree he is going to be a walking band aid for his career.

mystargtr34
07-04-2022, 01:32 AM
Scoot Henderson it is then.

mystargtr34
07-04-2022, 01:40 AM
In all seriousness the injury frequency and severity tend to increase exponentially once players go over 7'2 in height. And every inch above that tends to increase it even more.

Not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing that VW is so long and skinny.

cutewizard
07-06-2022, 03:18 AM
Wembanyama >>>>>>>> Ralph Sampson

cutewizard
07-06-2022, 03:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpJLmxVkrYU

Atl Spur
07-06-2022, 07:19 AM
The best ability is availability right? The Spurs need to field the best team they can and compete. Tanking for dude is a losing proposition….. who knows, you still might get him later on down the road ( Ayton says hi ). We need to compete and let the chips fall were they may.

John B
07-06-2022, 08:30 AM
The best ability is availability right? The Spurs need to field the best team they can and compete. Tanking for dude is a losing proposition….. who knows, you still might get him later on down the road ( Ayton says hi ). We need to compete and let the chips fall were they may.

Agree. The chances of getting Wembanyama is still a long shot <<<< offering Max on Ayton. As mention, Ayton has a lot of upsides still at 23 yrs old and inline with our youth. It’s not responsible to not try to get Ayton at thus point.

tim_duncan_fan
07-06-2022, 09:13 AM
Probably for the best if we get the second pick.

Super skinny and longer than God? Sounds like an injury waiting to happen. And he has already had leg injuries apparently. Of course, in passing on him, there is the potential of looking like you outsmarted yourself later.

I dunno, obviously, but to me he is a question, not a certainty.

JPB
07-06-2022, 09:41 AM
Probably for the best if we get the second pick.

Super skinny and longer than God? Sounds like an injury waiting to happen. And he has already had leg injuries apparently. Of course, in passing on him, there is the potential of looking like you outsmarted yourself later.

I dunno, obviously, but to me he is a question, not a certainty.

Nah, everyone wants this kid for a reason. He's potentally a top 5-10 player in history... He totally outplayed Chet, while 2 years younger...

There's always a risk, but you don't pass on a generational player and such an attraction because of potential injuries. You don't want to spend the following 15 years regretting and looking like fools... Look how NO supermaxed Zion who played 85 games in 3 years for them...

He's certainly gonna bulk up and work on what he physically needs to avoid injuries. There's no other kid behind him who would be worth passing on him. And he fails, so be it.

Spurs Homer
07-06-2022, 10:18 AM
Nah, everyone wants this kid for a reason. He's potentally a top 5-10 player in history... He totally outplayed Chet, while 2 years younger...

There's always a risk, but you don't pass on a generational player and such an attraction because of potential injuries. You don't want to spend the following 15 years regretting and looking like fools... Look how NO supermaxed Zion who played 85 games in 3 years for them...

He's certainly gonna bulk up and work on what he physically needs to avoid injuries. There's no other kid behind him who would be worth passing on him. And he fails, so be it.

sam bowie over mj?

Atl Spur
07-06-2022, 10:21 AM
sam bowie over mj?

^this. People refuse to acknowledge history :)

tapiefan
07-07-2022, 09:19 AM
Victor has been selected to the french team for Euro 2022.

rascal
07-07-2022, 09:49 AM
Yeah I think you reach a size where it's not good for your body or the game as far as being able to stay healthy. I like the Kid but I agree he is going to be a walking band aid for his career.

No doubt he is a risk.

See how he holds up this year, if more leg injuries stay away.

wildbill2u
07-08-2022, 12:22 PM
Lots of really tall, but relatively skinny, players have had serious problems with their bone structure causing stress fractures and degenerative knee conditions. Bill Walton, Andrew Bynum, Greg Oden, Yao Ming, Greg Daugherty, Ralph Sampson and the little known Johnathan Bender are some of many who had their career ended or limited in either time or skills domination .

Seventyniner
07-08-2022, 12:37 PM
Lots of really tall, but relatively skinny, players have had serious problems with their bone structure causing stress fractures and degenerative knee conditions. Bill Walton, Andrew Bynum, Greg Oden, Yao Ming, Greg Daugherty, Ralph Sampson and the little known Johnathan Bender are some of many who had their career ended or limited in either time or skills domination .

From what I remember, a lot of this can be blamed on the square-cube law. For example making someone 10% bigger in every dimension increases their mass by 33.1% but the surface area of their bones (which must support that mass) by only 21%. That means extremely tall people that do a lot of high-impact activities on a hard surface, like running and jumping in a basketball game, should be more prone to injuries like foot fractures than more normal-sized people.

wildbill2u
07-08-2022, 01:09 PM
I don't keep up with so-called 'tanks" from the past, but can anyone cite a couple of teams that tanked and actually got the number one draft pick? It seems to me that with the lottery balls bouncing in unpredictable ways that the very theory of tanking is suspect. Sure you can wind up in the lottery by purposely losing games, but with no guarantee of the number one pick aren't you setting your team up for a bad let down if the ploy doesn't work. I'm sure someone has the odds figured out, but those balls look more and more like a Pachinko parlor to me--totally oblivious to odds as they bounce around.

wildbill2u
07-08-2022, 01:15 PM
From what I remember, a lot of this can be blamed on the square-cube law. For example making someone 10% bigger in every dimension increases their mass by 33.1% but the surface area of their bones (which must support that mass) by only 21%. That means extremely tall people that do a lot of high-impact activities on a hard surface, like running and jumping in a basketball game, should be more prone to injuries like foot fractures than more normal-sized people.

Aha! I knew that one of our knowledgeable folks would come up with a scientific reason for BB players being more injury prone. It seems obvious doesn't it that a very tall tennis player like Arhur Ashe would be less prone to injuries than a BB player of a similar height. By the way, I only put some of the tallest players in my list above. But we have to remember that even the "shorter players" like guards are much taller than the average human and many of them like Brandon Roy, Allan Houston, Penny Hardaway, and Pete Maravich have also had some careers that were injury plagued. It goes with the territory.

DAF86
07-08-2022, 02:07 PM
Folks actually trying to rationalize passing on this guy, or trying not to tank after trading Murray. :lol

Maxing Ayton as one of the reasons. :lol

Stump
07-08-2022, 08:50 PM
I don't keep up with so-called 'tanks" from the past, but can anyone cite a couple of teams that tanked and actually got the number one draft pick? It seems to me that with the lottery balls bouncing in unpredictable ways that the very theory of tanking is suspect. Sure you can wind up in the lottery by purposely losing games, but with no guarantee of the number one pick aren't you setting your team up for a bad let down if the ploy doesn't work. I'm sure someone has the odds figured out, but those balls look more and more like a Pachinko parlor to me--totally oblivious to odds as they bounce around.
One of the more noteworthy examples would be when the Seattle Supersonics / OKC Thunder decided to tank for a few years. In three years, they ended up with four top-5 picks (they traded Ray Allen for the #5 the first year). Those picks were Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, Russell Westbrook, and James Harden. They also used their extra cap space to absorb bad contracts in exchange for more first round picks. One of those ended up becoming Serge Ibaka.

Did it work? They ended up with some huge talent, but never won a championship. Furthermore, you have to factor in that their circumstances are very different from most teams'.
1. They were in the middle of switching cities. OKC was thrilled to have a team and buy tickets, regardless of how terrible they were.
2. Landing three MVP-caliber guys with four top-5 picks is crazy lucky. In most cases, you would be ecstatic to land one in those circumstances.
3. Cap space is still valuable, but not nearly as much as it was back then. OKC could get more value with that strategy than we could now.

RC_Drunkford
07-09-2022, 05:26 AM

Orlando Magic

illusioNtEk
07-09-2022, 10:44 AM
is this guy the next james white? or giest on ST? Focus on Today and not Tommorow

offset formation
07-09-2022, 11:42 AM
When you're now publicly rebuilding, the whole point is about tomorrow, not today. Our current roster, even if these guys all max our their abilities probably only gets you to a 4-8 seed AT BEST. You need at least 1 superstar to even think about reaching the finals nowadays. Sometimes 2 isn't even enough. Put a Wembanyama on a team with a bunch of sub all-stars though and you've got a team that might challenge for LOBs for multiple years. Aside from him, you're probably looking at mediocrity as your ceiling.

lefty20
07-10-2022, 10:03 PM
Primo gonna make sure we get the best possible odds to land this mf.

dbestpro
07-11-2022, 06:09 AM
The Spurs are not going to be bad. They are going to be historically bad. I predict the lowest record ever for a Spurs team. .

rjv
07-11-2022, 09:53 AM
^^ yes, they are going to have a very poor record. that's why i don't get all these trade jakob and keldon posts. the spurs don't need to do anything intentional any more. they will have a bad record regardless. and even if they had kept DJ, they'd have been only marginally better than last year. the problem is that there are too many other teams that will have improved more than the spurs would have. as it is, i expect the spurs to have one of the worst records-at least bottom five.

DAF86
07-11-2022, 10:27 AM
^^ yes, they are going to have a very poor record. that's why i don't get all these trade jakob and keldon posts. the spurs don't need to do anything intentional any more. they will have a bad record regardless. and even if they had kept DJ, they'd have been only marginally better than last year. the problem is that there are too many other teams that will have improved more than the spurs would have. as it is, i expect the spurs to have one of the worst records-at least bottom five.

Bottom 5 isn't enough, we need to be bottom 3. With Poeltl, Richardson and the other vets we aren't going to be that bad, that's why we need to trade them. Also, to get more first round picks.

rjv
07-11-2022, 10:53 AM
Bottom 5 isn't enough, we need to be bottom 3. With Poeltl, Richardson and the other vets we aren't going to be that bad, that's why we need to trade them. Also, to get more first round picks.

no one can guarantee a bottom three which is why i say bottom five. will there be a team that pulls its roster like portland and detroit did last season (a gambit that didn't work as far as getting the top pick goes)? will there be a team that legitimately suffers significant injuries to key players? you don't just make trades to deplete your roster for a 14% shot at the top pick. and you certainly don't rush a trade.

DAF86
07-11-2022, 11:11 AM
no one can guarantee a bottom three which is why i say bottom five.

Can't guarantee a bottom 3 finish but you can guarantee a bottom 5? What kind of logic is that? :lol

Nobody can guarantee anything, but you are way closer to getting a bottom 3 record if you trade your most productive players for future assets. That's why you do it if you are in rebuilding mode.

will there be a team that pulls its roster like portland and detroit did last season (a gambit that didn't work as far as getting the top pick goes)? will there be a team that legitimately suffers significant injuries to key players?

All the more reason to tank early and often. No reason to start the season with guys like Poeltl, Richardson, McDermott, etc. and getting meaningless wins that will hurt you in the lottery later on.

you don't just make trades to deplete your roster for a 14% shot at the top pick. and you certainly don't rush a trade.

After trading your 26 year old all-star on the raise, you better. Going all-in on the tank is the only reasonable explanation for a trade like that.

I don't understand Spurs fans stuck on this middle of the road shit. This offseasn had two ways to go, and two ways only. The first one (and the one that would have been my favourite choice), trying to make moves to compete now. Unfortunately, the Murray trade changes this. After trading your best player for future assets, the only path to follow now is going hard for that tank. None of these half assed measures many of you guys are trying to rationalize.

"We can't deplete the roster"
"We still need a competent PG to run the team"
"We should go after Ayton"

Fuck all of that. We need none of that shit. The Spurs need to trade all the vets, get future assets, and give the youngsters all the minutes.

Next season, after hopefully getting a franchise level prospect with a top 3 pick, we can start talking about constructing the best roster possible again.

rjv
07-11-2022, 11:29 AM
Can't guarantee a bottom 3 finish but you can guarantee a bottom 5? What kind of logic is that? :lol

it's not logic; it's an opinion. this isn't a symposium on the logic and set theory of Quine. technically, i guess anyone can guarantee anything but it doesn't make it any less likely.

Nobody can guarantee anything, but you are way closer to getting a bottom 3 record if you trade your most productive players for future assets. That's why you do it if you are in rebuilding mode.

All the more reason to tank early and often. No reason to start the season with guys like Poeltl, Richardson, McDermott, etc. and getting meaningless wins that will hurt you in the lottery later on.

After trading your 26 year old all-star on the raise, you better. Going all-in on the tank is the only reasonable explanation for a trade like that.

I don't understand Spurs fans stuck on this middle of the road shit. This offseasn had two ways to go, and two ways only. The first one (and the one that would have been my favourite choice), trying to make moves to compete now. Unfortunately, the Murray trade changes this. After trading your best player for future assets, the only path to follow now is going hard for that tank. None of these half assed measures many of you guys are trying to rationalize.

Fuck all of that. We need none of that shit. The Spurs need to trade all the vets, get future assets, and give the youngsters all the minutes.

Next season, after hopefully getting a franchise level prospect with a top 3 pick, we can start talking about constructing the best roster possible again.[/QUOTE]

you missed my point entirely. the spurs are not a middle of the road team now. they are bad. we shouldn't deplete the roster just to do it. if the spurs can find a competent PG in this current roster, you don't trade him. you develop him. you do the same for KJ and vassell. the only tradeable pieces would be josh and mcdermott. you don't trade poeltl unless you know you can't retain him on the cheap again past this summer. what happens if your all in tank strategy fails and the spurs don't wind up with a top three pick but still traded away most of their core?

rjv
07-11-2022, 11:34 AM

it's not logic; it's an opinion. this isn't a symposium on the logic and set theory of Quine. technically, i guess anyone can guarantee anything but it doesn't make it any less likely.

Next season, after hopefully getting a franchise level prospect with a top 3 pick, we can start talking about constructing the best roster possible again.

you missed my point entirely. the spurs are not a middle of the road team now. they are bad. we shouldn't deplete the roster just to do it. if the spurs can find a competent PG in this current roster, you don't trade him. you develop him. you do the same for KJ and vassell. the only tradeable pieces would be josh and mcdermott. you don't trade poeltl unless you know you can't retain him on the cheap again past this summer. what happens if your all in tank strategy fails and the spurs don't wind up with a top three pick but still traded away most of their core? [/QUOTE]

what happens if your all in tank strategy fails and the spurs don't wind up with a top three pick but still traded away a good chunk of their core? i would only trade richardson and mcdermott. poeltl, i would hold onto unless the signs pointed to his unwillingness to sign with the spurs again next summer or he is asking for too much.

DAF86
07-11-2022, 11:45 AM

you missed my point entirely. the spurs are not a middle of the road team now. they are bad. we shouldn't deplete the roster just to do it.

We wouldn't be "depleting the roster", we would simply be trading away players that don't fit the timeline for future assets that will. You know, like all tanking teams do.

if the spurs can find a competent PG in this current roster, you don't trade him. you develop him.

Sure, and where did I say different? My PG comment was referring to guys that wanted to sign a veteran PG to run point. You don't sign a journeyman to take minutes away from Primo, Wesley or Jones. You play your youngesters and see what you got going forward.

you don't trade poeltl unless you know you can't retain him on the cheap again past this summer.

What's the point of retaining a good, but nothing more than that, center that doesn't fit the timeline?

what happens if your all in tank strategy fails and the spurs don't wind up with a top three pick but still traded away most of their core?

What happens? You at least got future first round picks from those players you traded. Also, you wouldn't be trading away any core, just Poeltl and a couple of bench players.

Now let me rephrase the question to you: What happens if you don't trade away those players? What do you gain? Do you expect to make the playoffs with those players you don't trade?

rjv
07-11-2022, 01:51 PM
Now let me rephrase the question to you: What happens if you don't trade away those players? What do you gain? Do you expect to make the playoffs with those players you don't trade?

if you remove players from the roster for assets, that is technically depleting. (deplete: to reduce in amount)

i already implied what would happen. you get a 14% chance of the top pick.

how can i expect to make the playoffs if i said the spurs were a bottom five team at best (with the current roster)?

DAF86
07-11-2022, 01:57 PM
if you remove players from the roster for assets, that is technically depleting. (deplete: to reduce in amount)

i already implied what would happen. you get a 14% chance of the top pick.

how can i expect to make the playoffs if i said the spurs were a bottom five team at best (with the current roster)?

Then what would we gain by not trading those players?

baseline bum
07-11-2022, 02:04 PM

They just traded 25 year all star Murray because they didn't want to pay him in two years. Why keep the 26 year old big they also won't want to pay in two years? Convert that shit into picks instead of losing him for nothing on a team now too young to consider him an important piece.

rjv
07-11-2022, 02:08 PM
Then what would we gain by not trading those players?

i have no problem with trading away richardson or mcdermott but see no point in trading away any of the younger players because i still think they are developing. i also prefer to hold on to poeltl for now. if you think the absence of poeltl somehow lands the spurs a top pick, well then great. i don't see it that way. (obviously)

rjv
07-11-2022, 02:09 PM
They just traded 25 year all star Murray because they didn't want to pay him in two years. Why keep the 26 year old big they also won't want to pay in two years? Convert that shit into picks instead of losing him for nothing on a team now too young to consider him an important piece.

you tell me what team would swoop in for poeltl right now and offer us a butt load of picks.

Ariel
07-11-2022, 02:12 PM
That is true, but it will be compensated by the fact that Pop will genuinely try to win games (even if he can't), when those other teams will intentionally tank even if they have more talent. And it doesn't take a lot of effort to do so, you just have to look at the matchup between teams at the bottom, and I suspect the Spurs will have BY FAR the best head to head record against those teams... not because we're better... but because we're trying to WIN, when they're trying to LOSE.

baseline bum
07-11-2022, 02:17 PM
you tell me what team would swoop in for poeltl right now and offer us a butt load of picks.

Probably only get one.

DAF86
07-11-2022, 02:27 PM
i have no problem with trading away richardson or mcdermott but see no point in trading away any of the younger players because i still think they are developing. i also prefer to hold on to poeltl for now. if you think the absence of poeltl somehow lands the spurs a top pick, well then great. i don't see it that way. (obviously)

What do you want to hold Poeltl for? The Spurs are some long years away from competing again. By that time Poeltl would be on the wrong side of 30. Also, good luck convincing him to waste his prime years and resign with a rebuilding team. Poeltl is gone, the best thing we can do is trade him for some assets that come in handy in the future.

DAF86
07-11-2022, 02:30 PM

We don't need a butt load of picks, just one FRP would be better than letting him walk for nothing. Not to mention that it also helps our goal of winning the least amount of games possible.

Seventyniner
07-11-2022, 02:39 PM

Poeltl is on the last year of his deal. That's a big difference; when trading for players who are outproducing their salary you want the contract length to be as long as possible.

That said, Poeltl should definitely fetch more than Thad Young did. But I wouldn't expect multiple firsts. Even 1.5 (a guaranteed first and a protected one with a 50% chance to convey) is probably a stretch imo.

baseline bum
07-11-2022, 03:03 PM
Poeltl is on the last year of his deal. That's a big difference; when trading for players who are outproducing their salary you want the contract length to be as long as possible.

That said, Poeltl should definitely fetch more than Thad Young did. But I wouldn't expect multiple firsts. Even 1.5 (a guaranteed first and a protected one with a 50% chance to convey) is probably a stretch imo.

Crap thought he had one more year after this upcoming year.

rjv
07-11-2022, 03:47 PM
We don't need a butt load of picks, just one FRP would be better than letting him walk for nothing. Not to mention that it also helps our goal of winning the least amount of games possible.

if the spurs can get one solid FRP for him, i'll be the first to be pleasantly surprised.

rjv
07-11-2022, 03:49 PM
That is true, but it will be compensated by the fact that Pop will genuinely try to win games (even if he can't), when those other teams will intentionally tank even if they have more talent. And it doesn't take a lot of effort to do so, you just have to look at the matchup between teams at the bottom, and I suspect the Spurs will have BY FAR the best head to head record against those teams... not because we're better... but because we're trying to WIN, when they're trying to LOSE.

the saying goes that "players don't tank, organizations do." what would have to happen is that the spurs would have to intentionally sit their best players which would seem an odd move for a franchise trying to fill seats.

TD 21
07-11-2022, 04:05 PM

:lmao Anyone with a brain knows they need to trade Poeltl and Richardson, but notion that they "aren't going to be that bad" with them is insane. They have to be the odds on favorite to be the worst team in the league at the moment.

DAF86
07-11-2022, 04:09 PM
if the spurs can get one solid FRP for him, i'll be the first to be pleasantly surprised.

The Spurs got a FRP for the corpse of Thad Young, why wouldn't they get a FRP for a much better player, like is Poeltl?

DAF86
07-11-2022, 04:11 PM
:lmao Anyone with a brain knows they need to trade Poeltl and Richardson, but notion that they "aren't going to be that bad" with them is insane. They have to be the odds on favorite to be the worst team in the league at the moment.

And who's saying that? :lol

rjv
07-11-2022, 04:16 PM
The Spurs got a FRP for the corpse of Thad Young, why wouldn't they get a FRP for a much better player, like is Poeltl?

if they can get an unprotected FRP for poeltl from a crap team-great.

DAF86
07-11-2022, 04:21 PM
if they can get an unprotected FRP for poeltl from a crap team-great.

Get real. No crap team is going to do that type of trade. Only teams interested in Poeltl will be playoffs teams, which means a mid to late 20's pick, and that's perfectly fine. That's how we got players such as Tony Parker, Dejounte Murray, Derrick White, Kyle Anderson, Keldon Johnson, Corey Joseph, Blake Wesley, etc.

DAF86
07-11-2022, 04:23 PM
I was forgetting George Hill.

TD 21
07-11-2022, 04:23 PM
And who's saying that? :lol

:lmao I literally quoted you.

DAF86
07-11-2022, 04:26 PM
:lmao I literally quoted you.

Ok, now show me where did I say the Spurs won't be bad. :lol

ace3g
07-11-2022, 04:28 PM
https://twitter.com/FRABasketball/status/1544962172509372417

RC_Drunkford
07-11-2022, 04:36 PM
the only guy who can save this franchise from becoming the Seattle Supersonics

https://www.nbcsports.com/sites/rsnunited/files/styles/metatags_opengraph/public/article/hero/victor-wembanyama.jpg

Vince Carter's ankle
07-11-2022, 04:58 PM
the only guy who can save this franchise from becoming the Seattle Supersonics

https://www.nbcsports.com/sites/rsnunited/files/styles/metatags_opengraph/public/article/hero/victor-wembanyama.jpg
He won't be at Spurs. You can start rooting for another team

TD 21
07-11-2022, 05:25 PM
Ok, now show me where did I say the Spurs won't be bad. :lol

With Poeltl, Richardson and the other vets we aren't going to be that bad

:wakeup

DAF86
07-11-2022, 05:47 PM
:wakeup

Sorry, I just realized you wrote "THAT bad" on your post. I thought you had written "The Spurs aren't going to be bad".

The Spurs are going to be bad, no doubt about it. But, if they don't trade Poeltl and Richardson, there are a lot of chances of them not being bad enough as to get a bottom 3 record, which should be the goal. That's what I mean by "not THAT bad".

ace3g
07-15-2022, 06:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW41Z1XBYGA

KingKev
07-16-2022, 07:18 AM
^ thanks fir posting that. Parker is a G

cutewizard
07-25-2022, 09:14 AM
This is the player Victor should watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJGCySdvlPo

cutewizard
07-25-2022, 09:15 AM
Nothing comes close to Chamberlain.........!

exstatic
07-25-2022, 09:24 AM

According to LJ, there is already an offer with picks. They're trying to work him into one of the big trades for unprotected pick(s).

exstatic
07-25-2022, 09:38 AM
I was forgetting George Hill.

The mother pick. Win shares of each player while they played for the Spurs.

George Hill 14.9
Davis Bertans 9.3
Kawhi Leonard 56.3
Demar DeRozan 20.9
Jakob Poeltl 21.7
Keldon Johnson 9.3
Thad Young 1.0
Malaki Branham N/A
2025 CHI FRP

Total of 133.4 WS and counting for the Spurs from the 2008 #26 pick.

rjv
07-25-2022, 10:57 AM
According to LJ, there is already an offer with picks. They're trying to work him into one of the big trades for unprotected pick(s).

if we can get some unprotected picks for poeltl, i'm all in.

Thomas82
07-26-2022, 10:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqNNOiZMldM