PDA

View Full Version : Spurs free agency targets

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

RC_Drunkford
05-16-2023, 11:09 PM
Who y‘all got? We got around 50 million in cap space.

Fred Van Vleet? Not a fan of paying him that much. The Suns want to unload CP3, but not sure if I like that since they don‘t have any first round picks left.

Ditty
05-16-2023, 11:12 PM
Austin Reaves

Mr. Body
05-16-2023, 11:14 PM
I still think they cut bait with the cap space and sell it for assets. Just don't see splurging on an expensive name. Getting vet help, a George Hill type, might work. Really feel they may run with what they have (Tre and Graham) partly because they have other developing facilitators.

Mugen
05-16-2023, 11:16 PM
Bryn.

Chinook
05-16-2023, 11:28 PM
I'd be looking to get in on some of these draft deals. Like if Portland is moving three to bring in vets, I'd be looking into taking some ballast for modest considerations.

I've made my interest in Poeltl clear and beyond him, Lopez. The center market isn't great beyond that.

In a world where they were to trade Keldon, Dillion Brooks would be interesting. I think he's a POS, but maybe getting run out of Memphis and embarrassed by Lebron might help him rein it in a bit. He's a good defender and a decent offensive player when it's clear he's not a star. Cam Johnson could fit a similar situation, though that would likely need to be a much bigger contract given his RFA status. Grant Williams would be cheaper, but he's more a firm PF and wouldn't make much sense with Wemby and Sochan. I have Trent as more of a lead guard than a point. I think unless the Spurs make a trade for a PG, Jones is back, and he's taking up a decent chunk of change.

Millennial_Messiah
05-16-2023, 11:58 PM
CP3... Lillard... Lopez. All hard pass. We don't need old washed up pieces on this roster.

cd98
05-17-2023, 12:00 AM
I'd be looking to get in on some of these draft deals. Like if Portland is moving three to bring in vets, I'd be looking into taking some ballast for modest considerations.

I've made my interest in Poeltl clear and beyond him, Lopez. The center market isn't great beyond that.

In a world where they were to trade Keldon, Dillion Brooks would be interesting. I think he's a POS, but maybe getting run out of Memphis and embarrassed by Lebron might help him rein it in a bit. He's a good defender and a decent offensive player when it's clear he's not a star. Cam Johnson could fit a similar situation, though that would likely need to be a much bigger contract given his RFA status. Grant Williams would be cheaper, but he's more a firm PF and wouldn't make much sense with Wemby and Sochan. I have Trent as more of a lead guard than a point. I think unless the Spurs make a trade for a PG, Jones is back, and he's taking up a decent chunk of change.

I actually like Dillon. Yes he's dirty, but he would be loved here. He's not intimidated by anyone and brings some cockiness to the roster. And he'll probably be fairly cheap for a guy that can defend and shoot threes.

td4mvp2k
05-17-2023, 12:32 AM
not many real options for spurs other than foward Mcdaniels so bringing back KBD should be a priority

Teamduncan21
05-17-2023, 01:13 AM
Who y‘all got? We got around 50 million in cap space.

Fred Van Vleet? Not a fan of paying him that much. The Suns want to unload CP3, but not sure if I like that since they don‘t have any first round picks left.

Don't like fvv too. But that will make raptors weaker and our pick better

DPG21920
05-17-2023, 01:29 AM
Stay the course and don’t over spend in weak FA or trade. If anything try to get into lottery and get your PG there imo

Spursfanfromafar
05-17-2023, 01:35 AM
Some guys that the Spurs can target without going overboard - Josh Hart, Jalen McDaniels and of course, Block'ab Turtle, my favourite recent ex-Spur.

Silverheart80
05-17-2023, 01:37 AM
Stay the course and don’t over spend in weak FA or trade. If anything try to get into lottery and get your PG there imo

This is the way.

And if we do go for a PG in the draft, go for a big body. If there isn't one, then let's have fun watching Devin and Jeremy develop as point forwards. Start setting the pace with young, long, tall, deathball rosters that spread the floor, cut, share, and shoot from distance. Make shorter players on opposing teams into defensive liabilities every night.

onechance87
05-17-2023, 01:38 AM

Yup...Bring back kbd and jones...and move foward to see if they keep up the improvements

EricB
05-17-2023, 01:43 AM
Don’t bring back KBD.

go after Cam Johnson.

see what Keldon brings Ina trade.

see what you can do about point guard.

it’s to build, rebuild time is over.

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 01:58 AM
no rush to trade Keldon unless you think his value is at its peak right now. he's going into year 1 of his 4 year deal. not only will his salary figures become less burdensome as the cap goes up, but his deal is even frontloaded,.

but if we are going to move keldon, the obvious types of guys to target would be PG or C provided we cant land one in FA.

DesignatedT
05-17-2023, 02:00 AM
Trade for Dame Dolla

EricB
05-17-2023, 02:01 AM
no rush to trade Keldon unless you think his value is at its peak right now. he's going into year 1 of his 4 year deal. not only will his salary figures become less burdensome as the cap goes up, but his deal is even frontloaded, and this isnt an offseason where we will be light on cap room anyway.

but if we are going to move keldon, the obvious types of guys to target would be PG or C provided we cant land one in FA.

I think you sell high, but don’t sell cheap.

point guard is an obvious need and no idea how they can improve that

center though, very easy, either keep Collins and Bassey, or move Collins and sign a Naz Reid who would fit perfectly.

need shooting desperately. That needs to be added. Veterans. Cam Johnson would be my first guy I’d go after. The fit is elite.

LeBowen
05-17-2023, 02:15 AM
I'll still say the same I did long before the draft. Just run it back.

The next FA summer is way better. Obviously if there's a chance to get a legit star, do it.

lefty20
05-17-2023, 03:05 AM
Austin Reaves

Agree, but there's 0% chance of Lakers not matching our offer.

Best we can do is make sure they have to pay his max at 4/98, I think.

Robz4000
05-17-2023, 03:12 AM
I'm down to bring back Poeltl tbh. Always liked him and his fit with Wemby has been stated several times. No other FAs I'd be interested in unless they came at a discount.

Stay the course this upcoming season and see what you got.

szkorhetz
05-17-2023, 03:15 AM
I'm down to bring back Poeltl tbh. Always liked him and his fit with Wemby has been stated several times. No other FAs I'd be interested in unless they came at a discount.

Stay the course this upcoming season and see what you got.
Spurs signing him back would surely raise sime eyebrows, it would somewhat destroy their credibility for other teams I guess.
I also love the idea, but it's highly unlikely IMHO.

Robz4000
05-17-2023, 03:19 AM
Spurs signing him back would surely raise sime eyebrows, it would somewhat destroy their credibility for other teams I guess.
I also love the idea, but it's highly unlikely IMHO.

Eh, they've done it before and teams have still traded with them (Sean Elliot, Steve Kerr, Brent Barry).

EricB
05-17-2023, 03:25 AM
If Poeltl is a free agent, what’s so eye brow raising?

What am I missing?

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 03:29 AM
Eh, they've done it before and teams have still traded with them (Sean Elliot, Steve Kerr, Brent Barry).
spurs traded back for elliott and kerr

barry is the one they signed back, but wildly different situation from poeltl. the spurs gave the sonics a first in that deal, and the sonics waived barry, so its not like we "stole" him from anybody

here the raptors gave us a first (and two 2s) for jak

i mean its technically fair game, he's a FA, and they have the rights to pay him more than anybody else. but would definitely be frowned upon to snag him

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 03:30 AM

What am I missing?
i think there would be speculation that the spurs pre-planned this contingency with poeltl... ie we are trading you now, but if xyz happens, you will sign back with us anyway. part of the raptors reasoning to send us the package they did was the goodwill that they can probably get a deal done to retain poeltl, and not for the spurs to try and snag him back

EricB
05-17-2023, 03:32 AM
I just fail to see how it would be bad.

he’s a free agent, Toronto chooses not to match his asking price, no one else does but SA does.

I guess I’m weird in that I don’t see the problem.

EricB
05-17-2023, 03:34 AM
i think there would be speculation that the spurs pre-planned this contingency with poeltl... ie we are trading you now, but if xyz happens, you will sign back with us anyway. part of the raptors reasoning to send us the package they did was the goodwill that they can probably get a deal done to retain poeltl, and not for the spurs to try and snag him back

the raptors traded for him to make a run.

that failed, he’s a free. Agent, everything goes.

I guess I’m ignorant, but, I just don’t see how it would be bad

would I do it? Eh, maybe, depends on the price and the flexibility going forward, but then you have Bassey, Collins, etc, you’re overloaded on bigs in a wing league.

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 03:36 AM
the raptors traded for him to make a run.

that failed, he’s a free. Agent, everything goes.

I guess I’m ignorant, but, I just don’t see how it would be bad

would I do it? Eh, maybe, depends on the price and the flexibility going forward, but then you have Bassey, Collins, etc, you’re overloaded on bigs in a wing league.
collins is going into the last year of his deal, and bassey, while under contract for 3 seasons, has no guaranteed money beyond this upcoming season

to be fair, we also have phlegm birch, but he's also on the last year of his deal

EricB
05-17-2023, 03:38 AM
collins is going into the last year of his deal, and bassey, while under contract for 3 seasons, has no guaranteed money beyond this upcoming season

to be fair, we also have phlegm birch, but he's also on the last year of his deal

and after what Collins showed I don’t know if you move on. His abilities next to Wemby works better than Jacob.

Robz4000
05-17-2023, 03:42 AM
spurs traded back for elliott and kerr

barry is the one they signed back, but wildly different situation from poeltl. the spurs gave the sonics a first in that deal, and the sonics waived barry, so its not like we "stole" him from anybody

here the raptors gave us a first (and two 2s) for jak

i mean its technically fair game, he's a FA, and they have the rights to pay him more than anybody else. but would definitely be frowned upon to snag him

:tu

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 03:43 AM
and after what Collins showed I don’t know if you move on. His abilities next to Wemby works better than Jacob.
i loved what collins showed too, and extending him is definitely an option they should be exploring. i think the appeal of jakob is the idea of a burlier defensive anchor allowing wemby to float around and be a help/weakside defender, as opposed to having him anchored down to an opposing big. collins competes but he's not as strong an anchor as a guy like poeltl. i think the best fit (as chinook first floated) could be Brook Lopez. can be the paint anchor on defense, but also provides spacing to allow wemby to get to work on offense

myles turner would have theoretically been a strong fit but the pacers finally went ahead and extended him

Robz4000
05-17-2023, 03:44 AM
I'd still make a run at Poetlt tbh, but the depth the Spurs have at C (Collins, Bassey, Barlow) makes it less important than shoring up PG.

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 03:48 AM
I'd still make a run at Poetlt tbh, but the depth the Spurs have at C (Collins, Bassey, Barlow) makes it less important than shoring up PG.
dno if barlow is really a center, but yeah we have guys. just not the ideal pairing with wemby, at least defensively. collins should mesh with him just well on offense.

not a fan of the FA point guard market this offseason though. kyrie isnt an option. fvv is gross. theres deangelo russell, but dno how much he's gonna cost, and cant imagine the lakers just let him walk

Robz4000
05-17-2023, 03:52 AM
dno if barlow is really a center, but yeah we have guys. just not the ideal pairing with wemby, at least defensively. collins should mesh with him just well on offense.

not a fan of the FA point guard market this offseason though. kyrie isnt an option. fvv is gross. theres deangelo russell, but dno how much he's gonna cost, and cant imagine the lakers just let him walk

I'd run Jones at PG this upcoming season unless they swing for the fences in Scoot/Amen tbh. Agreed on the PG FA market this offseason (unless someone comes at a discount).

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 03:55 AM
I'd run Jones at PG this upcoming season unless they swing for the fences in Scoot/Amen tbh. Agreed on the PG FA market this offseason (unless someone comes at a discount).
wonder what Tre's next contract looks like tbh

Robz4000
05-17-2023, 03:56 AM
wonder what Tre's next contract looks like tbh

4/$36m imo

4lifecowboy
05-17-2023, 05:57 AM
Trade for Jalen Brown. He doesn't want to be second fiddle in Boston.

CGD
05-17-2023, 06:05 AM

Honestly, I think landing Wemby opens up this door now.

CGD
05-17-2023, 06:08 AM

This is probably how the Spurs see it.

Only exception I see is whether there is an opportunity to consolidate some of the draft capital now to get another 1st round pick in THIS draft.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2023, 06:08 AM
I'm on board with the majority here. I don't want the Spurs to make win now moves. I want them to build a juggernaut. Being stuck with a 38-year old Dame Lillard getting 63 million is not that.

Cam Johnson, Grant Williams seem like nice targets. Poeltl would obviously be a great fit. Lopez too, but I don't want old guys starting. Makes no sense on this team. I'm in the camp of take on salary for assets and make sure you have enough cap space next season to go after Jaylen Brown. That seems somewhat realistic. Snag another player in this draft. Maybe add a vet PG if a good one on a decent contract becomes available. I'm just hyped tbh

CGD
05-17-2023, 06:10 AM

Yeah, I think most likely scenarios next year is to see what Jones, Sochan, and Blake Wesley give you at the point and assess the next.

In any event you lock up Tre. He’s tremendous value as a back up.

heyheymymy
05-17-2023, 06:16 AM
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Jaxson Hayes
Saben Lee
Luka Garza
Jordan Goodwin
Neemias Queta

rankingtear
05-17-2023, 06:26 AM

What am I missing?

So was Marcus Morris and the FO won't be doing business with them for the next few decades.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 06:28 AM

I think he also hates Boston.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2023, 06:33 AM
I could also see us bring in somebody from Europe. Weren't there rumours a couple years ago that we wanted Vasilije Micić? He's one of the best PGs in the Euro League and OKC owns his rights. Fairly tall for a PG too. 29 years old.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 06:36 AM
Yeah, I think most likely scenarios next year is to see what Jones, Sochan, and Blake Wesley give you at the point and assess the next.

In any event you lock up Tre. He’s tremendous value as a back up.

If I thought the team really wanted to keep Jones before, it seems even more likely now.

Wesley may benefit from Wembanyama as much as any player. Not sure they'll play together a ton, but when they do, VW will pull all those shot blockers away.

John B
I think he also hates Boston.

I think it’s still too early to be paying that much in Wemby’s 1st two years. Spurs will wisely bring him out slowly until he’s NBA strong, and then we can start talking about pairing him with an All-Star(s). Patience will be the key.. and Pop is the best coach who sees the big picture.

JPB
A vet PG in the Mike Conley style would be nice (not saying spurs should trade for Conley).

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 06:39 AM
I think it’s still too early to be paying that much in Wemby’s 1st two years. Spurs will wisely bring him out slowly until he’s NBA strong, and then we can start talking about pairing him with an All-Star(s). Patience will be the key.. and Pop is the best coach who sees the big picture.

I agree. Brown would for sure put this team on the treadmill.

CGD
05-17-2023, 06:40 AM
A vet PG in the Mike Conley style would be nice (not saying spurs should trade for Conley).

I don’t dislike it. A mentor type who can bridge the next year or two

Philthemage
05-17-2023, 06:50 AM
Not all free agents but if we can somehow get Jaylen Brown, Evan Fournier or possibly Tobias Harris if Sixers are blowing it up, we'd be pretty set.

buttsR4rebounding
05-17-2023, 07:07 AM
There's talk that Phoenix may waive CP3. Although he probably would end up on the Lakers I wouldn't mind him here on a short term deal.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2023, 07:10 AM
Gabe Vincent, Jalen McDaniels, Cam Reddish might be had for a good deal

mo7888
05-17-2023, 07:13 AM
There's talk that Phoenix may waive CP3. Although he probably would end up on the Lakers I wouldn't mind him here on a short term deal.

I could see us taking on CP3. It's one year and pushes our cap space to next summer when we'd waive him. The only question is if Phoenix has any asset they can attach?

Maybe a 3 team deal with keldon going out could provide better value?

Not sure if it could work, but a 3 team deal with Cam Johnson and CP3 coming in and Keldon going to Brooklyn? Obviously, Brooklyn would rather keep Cam , but if he wanted to come here they would prefer Keldon over losing him for nothing I'd think? Just spit balling.... still in shock over last night..

Maddog
05-17-2023, 07:31 AM

Exactly
Don't overpay for FAs and trade assets- now you may change your tact if after a year he's more ready than you thought. I think Wemby will be good from day one- I also think he's got a ways before leading a title contender. He's got to get stronger for one.
I like Poodle, but he's a good example- he'll be 28, will command a premium and has a lot of limitations.

CGD
05-17-2023, 07:32 AM
I could see us taking on CP3. It's one year and pushes our cap space to next summer when we'd waive him. The only question is if Phoenix has any asset they can attach?

Maybe a 3 team deal with keldon going out could provide better value?

Not sure if it could work, but a 3 team deal with Cam Johnson and CP3 coming in and Keldon going to Brooklyn? Obviously, Brooklyn would rather keep Cam , but if he wanted to come here they would prefer Keldon over losing him for nothing I'd think? Just spit balling.... still in shock over last night..

I’m warming to CP3 idea actually. If anyone can manage/alpha dog him it’s Pop, and then upside of the teaching potential for the young guys is huge.

As noted, Suns need an third party though to bring in some value to Spurs. Everyone just thinks Suns will waive him anyway in the ened.

spursparker9
05-17-2023, 08:34 AM
Draymond and Dillon Brooks.

Joshua Primo too

Chinook
05-17-2023, 08:48 AM
I don't want a guy like Paul dominating the ball on a young team. The Spurs are trying out a bunch of guys in the lead role, and I think that's good for now. The team has purposefully removed structure from their offense. I've hated on that in the past, but you can't change it now when you got such a blue-chip perimeter prospect. Center is sooooo much more a need than PG. Acting like Bassey is a factor in the depth chart is ridiculous in my opinion. I like Barlow, but it's much harder to see what he'd do for the team long term now. The Spurs could easily fill the PG position with similar players with almost no investment. Re-sign Jones, draft a PG in the second and take a failed prospect from another team. Boom, you have the center position. Does that sound good? Of course not. But at least PG is a position that will be covered up by Sochan, Wesley and Branham playing minutes there. Center is just a wide open sore.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 08:48 AM

I don't understand what Phoenix is doing.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2023, 08:57 AM
CP3 just messes up future cap flexibility. He's owed 30 million for the next 2 seasons. I want the Spurs to have plenty of cap space in 2024 with players like Jaylen Brown and Dejounte Murray available.

mo7888
05-17-2023, 09:05 AM
CP3 just messes up future cap flexibility. He's owed 30 million for the next 2 seasons. I want the Spurs to have plenty of cap space in 2024 with players like Jaylen Brown and Dejounte Murray available.

Non guaranteed after next season. He'd only tie it up for next year.

K...
05-17-2023, 09:14 AM

Cp3 is Also notoriously greedy (not without reason) and is not going to go somewhere that Won't honor the second year. So no lowball cp3 fantasy.

FvckMavs
05-17-2023, 09:16 AM
Let our young player develop one more year. Save the cap space and try to sign Jaylen Brown next summer

mo7888
05-17-2023, 09:17 AM
Cp3 is Also notoriously greedy (not without reason) and is not going to go somewhere that Won't honor the second year. So no lowball cp3 fantasy.

It's not a low-ball fantasy....nobody is honoring that second year....he's only guaranteed $15M this year and Phoenix is considering paying that and waiving him.... if he's as greedy as you say, he'll gladly accept the $30M from us over the $15M + minimum contract he'd get elsewhere.

DesignatedT
05-17-2023, 09:18 AM
I doubt Jaylen Brown makes it to free agency. I think he'll be traded way before then. Hopefully the Spurs are active in their pursuit.

Big Empty
05-17-2023, 09:21 AM
Id rather allow Tre and Blake to develop instead of bringing in CP3. Wemby isnt going to be playing 30 minutes a gsme more like 20. Blake has some speed and im curious how his development is going.

BacktoBasics
05-17-2023, 09:24 AM
I’d trade two future 1sts and a pick swap to whoever takes Anthony Black. Then keep Tre and that chucker Graham.

buttsR4rebounding
05-17-2023, 09:32 AM
I’d trade two future 1sts and a pick swap to whoever takes Anthony Black. Then keep Tre and that chucker Graham.

Pacers are looking to trade pick 7 for veteran players. That's probably in the the Black range.

SpurSpike
05-17-2023, 09:42 AM
I know Markelle Fultz has not lived up to expectations but he seemed to be turning a corner last season. Wonder what it would take to get him from Orlando?

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2023, 09:56 AM

that changes the conversation. One thing about CP3 he's a floor raiser. If we get some assets I'm cool with it

BacktoBasics
05-17-2023, 10:02 AM
Pacers are looking to trade pick 7 for veteran players. That's probably in the the Black range.

I’d prefer we not trade any of our guys away for at least another year. Despite the record and drawn out injuries we had a pretty cohesive team. Both Keldon and Vassell will thrive off of a center that draws the defense from the post and from 3pt. Sochan will have even more maneuverability.

I’d keep it intact for now.

Degoat
05-17-2023, 10:11 AM
Would y’all trade Keldon for the #10 pick? Highly doubt either team would consider it but it’s fair value imo

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 10:14 AM

I might be in the same range. I'd throw a bag for Black. Not sure what I'd give up but I'd be aggressive if he slips.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 10:15 AM
Would y’all trade Keldon for the #10 pick? Highly doubt either team would consider it but it’s fair value imo

I would if our player is there.

Big Empty
05-17-2023, 10:18 AM
I can see the Spurs doing this if there is someone we REALLY like. Question is what woukd the Mavs also want outside of Keldon

BacktoBasics
05-17-2023, 10:32 AM
I might be in the same range. I'd throw a bag for Black. Not sure what I'd give up but I'd be aggressive if he slips.

He would be the perfect pg for this team. Tre would make the perfect change of pace/style back up pg in that scenario. But all my wishes were used up on Wemby. If we somehow got Black I'd immediately go buy a lotto ticket.

BacktoBasics
05-17-2023, 10:33 AM
I would if our player is there.

No one other than Black or possibly Whitmore(probably not) that I would even remotely be interested in moving Keldon for. ST disrespects Keldon way too often.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 10:36 AM
No one other than Black or possibly Whitmore(probably not) that I would even remotely be interested in moving Keldon for. ST disrespects Keldon way too often.

I just don't think he's a good basketball fit. He's not much of a passer, he either shoots or drives to the hole, his defense is fairly weak, and where he goes in the lineup is a big question. That said, not having to be a first option will help him a lot and his team leader personality are great.

T Park
05-17-2023, 10:39 AM

He wont be first fiddle with Wembenyama either….

Russ
05-17-2023, 10:47 AM
The Spurs should keep their powder dry and see what they got for a while (vs. signing FAs).

Knowing the Spurs, they'll probably do that.

mo7888
05-17-2023, 11:04 AM

I would..

Chinook
05-17-2023, 11:12 AM
I was looking at Spotrac's free agent list and saw that George Hill is 37. Holy shit time flies. I still think of him as one of the "young guys" on the Spurs.

Philthemage
05-17-2023, 11:15 AM
I was looking at Spotrac's free agent list and saw that George Hill is 37. Holy shit time flies. I still think of him as one of the "young guys" on the Spurs.

I checked the exact same thing last week. I was thinking which ex spur vets we could bring in. I kept thinking Hill was much younger than me... Turns out no.

John B
05-17-2023, 11:24 AM

I’d give Keldon and this years SRP’s for Anthony Black. He’s slotted at 10th to Dallas. I think they’d love Keldon over at Dallas. They always covet our guys, Blair, Boban, Bertans, even Avery as HC. I’d give them Keldon and his and1’s for Anthony Black.

Anthony Black, Vassell, Wemby, Sochan, Collins.

Now that’s a hell of a defensive line-up, length and size.

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 11:45 AM
i still remember when indiana george was looking so good that parker was allegedly on the block

BacktoBasics
05-17-2023, 12:21 PM
I’d give Keldon and this years SRP’s for Anthony Black. He’s slotted at 10th to Dallas. I think they’d love Keldon over at Dallas. They always covet our guys, Blair, Boban, Bertans, even Avery as HC. I’d give them Keldon and his and1’s for Anthony Black.

Anthony Black, Vassell, Wemby, Sochan, Collins.

Now that’s a hell of a defensive line-up, length and size.
I wouldn’t. I think Keldon is a great piece on a championship team and that’s what we’re building

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 12:24 PM
its amazing how much wemby changes every equation. pre-wemby, i didnt love Black because the spurs needed more offensive oomph. but with wemby, suddenly you just want a complementary piece and Black has Jrue Holiday like potential (holiday was a similarly poor shooter in college, about 30% from 3, 72% from the line)

the bucks actually have a good formula assuming wemby is treated somewhat like giannis (obviously different players). brook lopez to anchor the paint and create spacing on O. vassell is the middleton-esque secondary offensive player, though he needs to get his defense up to par. a PG who can switch and defend multiple positions like Jrue would be awesome to have.

Gibbz
05-17-2023, 12:27 PM
Jordan Clarkson

John B
05-17-2023, 12:27 PM
I wouldn’t. I think Keldon is a great piece on a championship team and that’s what we’re building

except that Anthony Black is a better piece if he could be had. Anthony Black is bigger, a position of need at facilitator, better defender, more upsides than Keldon

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 12:29 PM
anthony black for keldon and just throw in some seconds like

https://media.tenor.com/dIOhkSitadsAAAAC/throwing-cash-wolf-on-wall-street.gif

John B
05-17-2023, 12:35 PM
Jordan Clarkson

He’d take minutes from our guards, and too early to be spending until Wemby’s on his 2nd or 3rd year, when his body is NBA strong and Spurs can go to war.

Ignazzz
05-17-2023, 01:44 PM
Keldon is better for us. Try to get Black other way. Or similar PG with better 3s

baseline bum
05-17-2023, 01:52 PM
Wonder if the Spurs could make a play for Lillard with all the picks they have.

exstatic
05-17-2023, 02:00 PM
Gabe Vincent, Jalen McDaniels, Cam Reddish might be had for a good deal

Reddish sucks donkey dicks.

szkorhetz
05-17-2023, 02:18 PM
Harden is about to become a free agent.:stirpot:

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 02:36 PM
Harden is about to become a free agent.:stirpot:
hes going back to the lockets imo

pookenstein
05-17-2023, 03:07 PM
Why do some people think J. Brown could be an option? He made an All NBA Team and if I remember correctly he can sign a supermax at nearly 300M/5Y with the Celtics now. He can't get that kind of money anywhere else, so he's not leaving Boston for a place where he'll be the second fiddle as well.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2023, 04:00 PM
Why do some people think J. Brown could be an option? He made an All NBA Team and if I remember correctly he can sign a supermax at nearly 300M/5Y with the Celtics now. He can't get that kind of money anywhere else, so he's not leaving Boston for a place where he'll be the second fiddle as well.

I highly doubt that Boston will give him and Tatum the supermax. Tatum will get it, but Jaylen?

Chinook
05-17-2023, 04:21 PM
Wonder if the Spurs could make a play for Lillard with all the picks they have.

They could, but ew.

baseline bum
05-17-2023, 04:30 PM
hes going back to the lockets imo

You misspelled lmao at the end tbh

baseline bum
05-17-2023, 04:33 PM
I highly doubt that Boston will give him and Tatum the supermax. Tatum will get it, but Jaylen?

Go Heat this series so they don't offer it.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 04:42 PM
Don't know where to put this, but Harden has declined his huge option for next year. Suns now expected to guarantee Chris Paul's salary, although I suppose they could trade him.

poopbox
05-17-2023, 06:36 PM

Because it's highly unlikely Boston is going to really offer him that much money, because they also will have to supermax Tatum...and they are absolutely going to supermax Tatum sense the consensus is that he is better than Brown...

Toss in the extremely punitive salary taxes in the upcoming cba and supermaxing two players on your team is pretty much a deathblow to your roster construction.

White has one more year left on his deal and I would think the Celtics are going to want to keep some money available for him as well.

From a basketball perspective its a no brainer for them to sign Jaylen but from a financial sense if he demands the supermax or trade trade is the only option the money they will be paying him and tatum combined is crippling.

No player can ever get more than the team will offer them.

MultiTroll
05-17-2023, 06:42 PM
Jerami Grant PF Portland

Excessive Egotist
05-17-2023, 06:59 PM
Nate Duncan suggests Grant Williams as our primary target. I see his reasoning. Why not overpay for a couple years of Brook Lopez, if we're targeting a center? I'm not convinced we should target a center.

I'm still partial to taking this season to see what we have in some of our young players. I like our center rotation as it is, particularly assuming Wemby soaks up some of the minutes when opposing teams go small.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2023, 07:28 PM
Grant Williams and Cam Johnson are definitely good options, but we'd have to move McDermott to open up playing time. Unless of course, we trade Keldon...

drpill
05-17-2023, 07:37 PM
People seem ready to see Keldon gone but he brings a lot to the team in terms of off-court chemistry and on-court energy. Who else is going to help Victor understand why people in San Antonio love country music so much? In game he hits big shots and isn't intimidated. I personally wouldn't want to let him go unless I knew we were getting something similar to that in return, or a truly massive talent upgrade. Black is intriguing, but if trading KJ I'd prefer a known commodity to a roll of the dice.

scott
05-17-2023, 08:39 PM
I don't want a guy like Paul dominating the ball on a young team. The Spurs are trying out a bunch of guys in the lead role, and I think that's good for now. The team has purposefully removed structure from their offense. I've hated on that in the past, but you can't change it now when you got such a blue-chip perimeter prospect. Center is sooooo much more a need than PG. Acting like Bassey is a factor in the depth chart is ridiculous in my opinion. I like Barlow, but it's much harder to see what he'd do for the team long term now. The Spurs could easily fill the PG position with similar players with almost no investment. Re-sign Jones, draft a PG in the second and take a failed prospect from another team. Boom, you have the center position. Does that sound good? Of course not. But at least PG is a position that will be covered up by Sochan, Wesley and Branham playing minutes there. Center is just a wide open sore.

You've always been one of my favorite posters, but you are sleeping on my man Bassey and hopefully one day you'll eat some crow!

lmbebo
05-17-2023, 09:30 PM
If Orlando cuts Issac, I think he's a good reclamation project.

ace3g
05-17-2023, 09:30 PM
Poeltl
Harrison Barnes
Jerami Grant
Khris Middleton
Rui Hachimura
Joe Ingles
Herbert Jones
Dario Saric

mo7888
05-17-2023, 09:32 PM
If Orlando cuts Issac, I think he's a good reclamation project.

He's got alot left of his contract, are there rumors they are going to waive him?

lmbebo
05-17-2023, 09:36 PM
He's got alot left of his contract, are there rumors they are going to waive him?

Thought I had read about Orlando moving on from him potentially

Edit, guess he has 2 years left, but only 1 is guaranteed. So would be a trade.

Wonder if Suggs could be had as well in a trade. I don't know his game very well, but maybe fit?

offset formation
05-17-2023, 09:38 PM
Poeltl
Harrison Barnes
Jerami Grant
Khris Middleton
Rui Hachimura
Joe Ingles
Herbert Jones
Dario Saric

Poeltl -- Would definitely consider
Harrison Barnes -- Yes
Jerami Grant -- No
Khris Middleton -- Yes PLEASE
Rui Hachimura -- Yes
Joe Ingles -- No
Herbert Jones -- Would definitely consider
Dario Saric -- No

Chinook
05-17-2023, 09:45 PM
You've always been one of my favorite posters, but you are sleeping on my man Bassey and hopefully one day you'll eat some crow!

I admitted I was wrong about Collins, so I don't mind doing so about Bassey if that ever becomes justified. I think with Wemby on board, the standards for which players STers think the team should keep are going to change dramatically. Guys filling up in situations without talented competition aren't going to look nearly as foundational as they do now.

KobesAchilles
05-17-2023, 09:57 PM
I want no part of Dame. The dudes game is disgustingly bad. I’m too tired to go into the details but tldr version is he is a chucker that plays zero defense and takes stupid shots.

I think I would want Austin Reaves for $20million a year. And Brooks for cheap from Memphis. Both are scrappy and play defense. Austin can shoot the ball while Brooks I think can shoot around 35-37% from ranger with us. I would look to unload salary (trade KJ) though and pick up a vet. We need some experience on the team. Klay would be ideal. The roster needs an overhaul.

But Reaves, Tre for PG
Klay, Brooks, Vassell for SG/SF
Sochan Wemby and Zach for Bigs is a nice place to start

Ariel
05-17-2023, 09:58 PM
Top centers are either too expensive (Poeltl back) or too expensive AND too old (Brook Lopez). But maybe we could take a look at someone like Mason Plumlee as a more reasonably priced big body to throw inside the paint and spare Wemby from taking the punishment, and help Zach Collins as well.

offset formation
05-17-2023, 10:00 PM
I want no part of Dame. The dudes game is disgustingly bad. I’m too tired to go into the details but tldr version is he is a chucker that plays zero defense and takes stupid shots.

I think I would want Austin Reaves for $20million a year. And Brooks for cheap from Memphis. Both are scrappy and play defense. Austin can shoot the ball while Brooks I think can shoot around 35-37% from ranger with us. I would look to unload salary (trade KJ) though and pick up a vet. We need some experience on the team. Klay would be ideal. The roster needs an overhaul.

But Reaves, Tre for PG
Klay, Brooks, Vassell for SG/SF
Sochan Wemby and Zach for Bigs is a nice place to start

Having the ability to make Lakers pay more to keep AR is worth it too.

Degoat
05-17-2023, 10:00 PM
Naz Reid would be a good C to pickup

KobesAchilles
05-17-2023, 10:03 PM
Having the ability to make Lakers pay more to keep AR is worth it too.
That’s true. Jeanie is super cheap and doesn’t want to pay luxury tax at all.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 10:10 PM
Top centers are either too expensive (Poeltl back) or too expensive AND too old (Brook Lopez). But maybe we could take a look at someone like Mason Plumlee as a more reasonably priced big body to throw inside the paint and spare Wemby from taking the punishment, and help Zach Collins as well.

I've liked Plumlee for a long time. He's not perfect but he's a smart hustling player who does a number of things well.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2023, 11:12 PM
Poeltl
Harrison Barnes
Jerami Grant
Khris Middleton
Rui Hachimura
Joe Ingles
Herbert Jones
Dario Saric

didn‘t even realize Herb Jones was a free agent. A lot of good suggestions tbh, but I‘d pass on Grant and I‘m not even sure if I‘d want Middleton at this point. Both are likely staying with their team

rankingtear
05-18-2023, 02:37 AM
Rumor is a vet center and power forward. I think this is protect Wemby mode for the first 2 years of his career until his body adjust to NBA.

spursparker9
05-18-2023, 04:57 AM
Tbh this offseason FA sucks. Just save the money and give the current young players more playing time

lmbebo
05-18-2023, 07:07 AM
Tbh this offseason FA sucks. Just save the money and give the current young players more playing time

Think the new CBA no longer allows you to save money.

Degoat
05-18-2023, 07:29 AM

Im sure there’s ways around it but I read that the spurs can’t keep their cap space like they did this last offseason, the NBA made a new rule I believe on having to use it.

RC_Drunkford
05-18-2023, 07:31 AM
Im sure there’s ways around it but I read that the spurs can’t keep their cap space like they did this last offseason, the NBA made a new rule I believe on having to use it.

Yes. Does it kick in next season already? We might have to sign some people on 1 year deals if that's the case

ace3g
05-18-2023, 02:31 PM
https://twitter.com/George_Hill3/status/1659252023458398243

CGD
05-18-2023, 05:13 PM
That's awesome.

I'd take him or Connolly as my vet PG signings to help shape the youngsters.

kobyz
05-18-2023, 07:31 PM
Austin Reaves

Is he the second coming of Manu?

td4mvp2k
05-18-2023, 07:44 PM
he's playing for the wrong team

TD 21
05-19-2023, 03:27 PM
If you want to make the argument for a veteran big, an inexpensive, fringe rotation - deep bench type, who can make a shot like Saric, Wagner or Kaminsky, make a lot more sense than an older, relatively expensive, clear cut rotational player who can't shoot, like Plumlee.

On a team that already counts two terrible shooters (Sochan and Jones) among their top 6 and only 2 good shooters definitively in their rotation period (Vassell, McDermott), the last thing they need is a rim running C.

I'd have had interest in Reid pre Wembanyama, as sort of a younger Collins type, who'd free them up to trade the latter for more draft capital. Now, I wouldn't bother.

CorrectCrusader
05-19-2023, 03:49 PM

The fit is great, but why would he want to play second fiddle here? Victor is the de-factor superstar.

T Park
05-19-2023, 03:51 PM
Cam Johnson.

Defensive upgrade, upgrades the shooting. Smart.

Should be offered a contract at Midnight on the dot

spurraider21
05-19-2023, 04:25 PM
he's good but cant imagine he'd be cheap. is he the guy we want to be paying what is likely 20+ mil per. i wonder if targeting Yuta instead could be an option

brooklyn is in such a weird spot where they have a number of solid role guys, no star, a weird draft pick situation with them still owing some picks and swaps to houston meaning tanking doesnt do shit for them, but then getting picks from phoenix (and then way down the line, dallas).

they arent in a good cap spot, but joe harris has 17.5 mil expiring. ben simmons is the elephant under contract for 2 more years at 38/40 mil. i dont know that they are wanting to sell picks for cap relief, but theyre going to have to get into the tax just to keep their squad in tact.

tanking doesnt make sense because that stands to benefit houston and not them. they dont have the star to build a competitor with. dont really know what their plan is at all tbh. i imagine they'd be calling for guys like lillard/beal or trae just to try to do something.

JPB
05-19-2023, 04:37 PM
Damn, George Hill is already 37. How time flies.

tbdog
05-19-2023, 05:37 PM
Brook Lopez is the perfect center for Wemba. Then Reeves or Strus. Similar players. Reeves better play maker. Strus better shooter.

Sochan and Jones at point.

RC_Drunkford
05-19-2023, 06:24 PM
I don't really see why we should sign a center. Zach Collins is good enough playing next to Wembanyama and will still improve in some areas. Since he started he averaged 16.5/8/3.8/1/1 49.4% FG 39.2 3P%. These are actually great numbers.

spurraider21
05-19-2023, 06:34 PM
I don't really see why we should sign a center. Zach Collins is good enough playing next to Wembanyama and will still improve in some areas. Since he started he averaged 16.5/8/3.8/1/1 49.4% FG 39.2 3P%. These are actually great numbers.
i think he should be extended, but would also like to sign a center that can be a better defensive anchor when the situation calls for it. while he got better at it in the 2nd half, collins has a history of being foul-prone. fouls notwithstanding, he's not an impactful defender though he's he'll throw his body around. if wemby is going to get any degree of load/minute management as a rookie, we're going to need bodies anyway. and its not like collins cant play alongside another center for stretches.

collins also missed about a quarter of the season last year. i dont want 6'9 bassey to be the only other option

jesterbobman
05-19-2023, 06:40 PM
I don't think the moves this year are about vaulting into contention. It's about ensuring the Culture builds, and you have a variety of pieces in place so you can determine what the best way to play around Wemby is, so that you know fit for the future picks. It's not "What makes us good this year" but "What do we need to know in term of player types to work with around Wemby."

I think you want to go shooting bigs who are strong, so Vic can be a weakside / help defender, but you can punish the help he'll force - Brook would be great if he's interested (I think the Bucks pay for the next few years of contention and he'd want to stay there), or lower end young guys like Naz Reid (not as good), or strong 4 who can play small ball 5 like PJ Washington and Grant Williams. (A Zach / Wemby / Sochan / Grant top 4 bigs with another bruising Centre would let you test the combos).

Wing spots are mostly taken, in terms of variety. I think you want as many guys who offer some level of average / + defence and shooting as possible. Working out how Keldon / Malaki fit, and how Wemby plays with a movement shooter like Doug is a useful bit of discovery. there's not great wing depth in the Free agency market, but Kuzma / Cam Johnson could make sense if you were looking for another good player to add options, who aren't old and means you can run out huge lineups with shooting. Don't see much point in going for fringe options below GT Jnr, and might as well check in on Malaki rather than signing another SG only shooter.

Nothing at PG intrigues me in the FA market. I think you want to keep the varied attack, so keeping Tre and seeing how that works alongside some Blake development minutes is probably sensible. I don't think Tre is a long term starter, but there's no point reaching for a fringe upgrade when this is an experiment year.

RC_Drunkford
05-19-2023, 06:54 PM
i think he should be extended, but would also like to sign a center that can be a better defensive anchor when the situation calls for it. while he got better at it in the 2nd half, collins has a history of being foul-prone. fouls notwithstanding, he's not an impactful defender though he's he'll throw his body around. if wemby is going to get any degree of load/minute management as a rookie, we're going to need bodies anyway. and its not like collins cant play alongside another center for stretches.

collins also missed about a quarter of the season last year. i dont want 6'9 bassey to be the only other option

3.3 fouls per game while averaging 29 minutes is not bad tbh. Zach will still get better, he's only 25 and this was basically his 3rd full season. We could sign a back up big, but I'd rather let Bassey get more playing time. He's on a bargain contract and got some potential.

spurraider21
05-19-2023, 07:21 PM
3.3 fouls per game while averaging 29 minutes is not bad tbh. Zach will still get better, he's only 25 and this was basically his 3rd full season. We could sign a back up big, but I'd rather let Bassey get more playing time. He's on a bargain contract and got some potential.
for the season, his fouls per 36 was 5. i did say he got better at it later in the year, but its generally been a trend with him.

Mr. Body
05-19-2023, 07:47 PM
I definitely want another good strong body. I am a Bassey believer, but his health and capabilities are not established. I don't think he lasts past Indiana, but TJD is the sort of perfect piece to get. He's older, but knowledgable. He's undersized, but very athletic. Good locker room. Rebounds, blocks shots, can bang. Mamu has a role here, but he's more of a PF

Not a big believer in other bigs in this draft, at least in terms of immediate capabilities. Dieng obviously isn't the solution. I really think they need to get somebody somewhere.

Cabrito
05-19-2023, 08:36 PM
I would take a flyer on Thomas Bryant over wasting time on Plumlee.

Dverde
05-19-2023, 08:46 PM
Naz Reid anyone?

Degoat
05-19-2023, 09:22 PM
Naz Reid anyone?

Exactly who I think we should target, he’d be perfect to split time with Collins with (maybe even surpass him)
Jaxson Hayes is another guy that might be attainable. I see the Brook Lopez intrigue but he’s old

RC_Drunkford
05-19-2023, 09:28 PM
for the season, his fouls per 36 was 5. i did say he got better at it later in the year, but its generally been a trend with him.

I'm talking about his stats as a starter. The sample size is big enough here

MultiTroll
05-19-2023, 11:02 PM
Would Spurs even want any of the Celtics marshmallows? Looks like implosion is incoming.

DWhite on a comeback tour? No? Too injury prone?

Their 3 *stars* are just pathetic at playing with a lead and having a BBIQ over room temperature.

heyheymymy
05-19-2023, 11:05 PM
Starting to wonder if SA would like to bring back Kieta Bates-Diop now?

Was assuming he would be gone but now with Victor the added length might be nice.

Mr. Body
05-19-2023, 11:15 PM
Starting to wonder if SA would like to bring back Kieta Bates-Diop now?

Was assuming he would be gone but now with Victor the added length might be nice.

I think he's back as a culture fit. Team still needs older vets and he's one of those guys. Team's also weak on long SFs as you say.

heyheymymy
05-19-2023, 11:24 PM
Agreed Mr Body

KBD could be additional long insulation around Victor which I view as a priority.

He can play SF and hits a pretty nice corner 3, does lots of little glue things, but you can slide KBD up to PF in select circumstances and so it's a helpful player template for sure not to mention corporate knowledge to dust off a theme from our heyday.

Without Wemby perhaps I see KBD gone and the team going in another direction as more likely.

John B
05-19-2023, 11:51 PM

Nah man. Just because he can shoot 3’s. Manu makes them baseline passes that bends, I never see anyone does better. Manu’s hesitation moves break ankles. Nah Reaves could be a Benu maybe :lol

spurraider21
05-19-2023, 11:57 PM
I'm talking about his stats as a starter. The sample size is big enough here
As a starter he averaged 3.7 fouls in 28 minutes which is still like 5 fouls per 36

heyheymymy
05-20-2023, 12:07 AM
Rather KBD is a PF but looking at it through the lens of his return with Wemby/Sochan/Mamu already stacking the 4 realistically KBD would appear to have mins at the 3 in that case.

buttsR4rebounding
05-20-2023, 01:12 AM

Collins was the best player on the team last year after the Poeltl trade. Spurs seem to have hit a home run with this reclamation project. Don’t worry about it this year For the few times a year that teams play heavy center. Zach has earned his spot in the starting lineup and the combo of Zollins/Wemby will give awesome rim protection.

Mnky
05-20-2023, 02:35 AM
I expect the spurs to be much more aggressive in pursuits of possibilities while maintaining their well thought out plan. The team has been being built with Wemby in mind for years. Literally. They will continue building around him.

Whether fans want to come to the realization or not the spurs did not do right by Kawhi as the face of the franchise. He made business requests, as all superstars do, and they did not prioritize the players he wanted. They prioritizes their past. Wright has eluded to learning from their past a few times when given such a possibility as a franchise player and I always go back to Kawhi and how they even considered playing hard ball with the contracts. It cost Orlando Shaq and cost them Kawhi.

In the end it seems to have worked out but the reality is that your superstar has to have a say in their career if you want them to play for you. If wemby is that player and wants to be in the playoffs, I expect them to pursue it.

With that being said, I do believe he has the character to understand how patience pays off as well. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the spurs active in the draft. They have the center piece for at least 4-6 Years. All those resources they've gathered should now be used for the center piece and nothing else. When the centerpiece leaves, those resources become a painful roll of the dice again for years.

Mnky
05-20-2023, 02:37 AM
Collins was the best player on the team last year after the Poeltl trade. Spurs seem to have hit a home run with this reclamation project. Don’t worry about it this year For the few times a year that teams play heavy center. Zach has earned his spot in the starting lineup and the combo of Zollins/Wemby will give awesome rim protection.

Zack is also the bruiser punching bag that would take the heat from Wemby. He also fits perfectly as a stretch big and won't clog the lane for Wemby wanting to attack from the perimeter. A stretch/bruiser in the paint is exactly what Wemby needs.

venitian navigator
05-20-2023, 03:12 AM
Imho in case we're gonna be actors in the free agent market, the obvious fa targets would be Van Vleet and Poeltl. That's because what we need is a pg that can shoot threes and defend and a bruiser big man that can ease the Wemby nba transition. Both are experienced players. Plus, Van Vleet has championship experience and Poeltl already knows the system. He with Collins, Bassey and, supposedly re_signed, Mamu and Barlow, compose a deep package of 4/5 that can play center all season long and exploit any kind of game style. It just depends on if we really want to go that way losing our cap space flexibility for next year's and if we don't want to hurt Toronto raptor's feelings (I suppose we don't if the past Poeltl trade was considered by them like a play off run and now they want to change strategy and so sell pieces and be back as a lottery team)

NickiRasgo
05-20-2023, 04:59 AM
Agreed Mr Body

KBD could be additional long insulation around Victor which I view as a priority.

He can play SF and hits a pretty nice corner 3, does lots of little glue things, but you can slide KBD up to PF in select circumstances and so it's a helpful player template for sure not to mention corporate knowledge to dust off a theme from our heyday.

Without Wemby perhaps I see KBD gone and the team going in another direction as more likely.

Honestly I'm not a fan of KBD but he's like a low-maintenance type of player who doesn't complain and when he's being called, he's ready so I won't mind him back since he seems a legit nice and quiet guy.

RC_Drunkford
05-20-2023, 05:33 AM
As a starter he averaged 3.7 fouls in 28 minutes which is still like 5 fouls per 36

Since Poeltl got traded and he became the starter he averaged 3.3. What’s so hard to understand about that?

Chinook
05-20-2023, 08:25 AM
Since Poeltl got traded and he became the starter he averaged 3.3. What’s so hard to understand about that?

In the 19 games Collins played after Poeltl was traded, he still fouled out three times and got five fouls three more times. He did have four games where he got one or no fouls, but I wouldn't say being in foul trouble a third of the time inspires confidence that he's over those issues. To me the biggest concern is that he missed eight of the final 27 games of the season. Sure, for most players you can chalk that up to the Spurs resting guys because they were tanking. But Collins' injury history is too broad to assume that. I have strong doubts he's going to be reliable as a long-term starter. If you stretch out those numbers for a whole season, he'd miss 24 games and be in foul trouble by the end of 19 more of those. That's more than half the season of unreliability suggested by Collins during his best stretch of his career.

To me the need to invest in a center beyond Collins is obvious.

Excessive Egotist
05-20-2023, 08:43 AM
In the 19 games Collins played after Poeltl was traded, he still fouled out three times and got five fouls three more times. He did have four games where he got one or no fouls, but I wouldn't say being in foul trouble a third of the time inspires confidence that he's over those issues. To me the biggest concern is that he missed eight of the final 27 games of the season. Sure, for most players you can chalk that up to the Spurs resting guys because they were tanking. But Collins' injury history is too broad to assume that. I have strong doubts he's going to be reliable as a long-term starter. If you stretch out those numbers for a whole season, he'd miss 24 games and be in foul trouble by the end of 19 more of those. That's more than half the season of unreliability suggested by Collins during his best stretch of his career.

I agree with all this, although the best move might be to replace Collins next summer. But if we move for a center sooner, 1) Grant Williams, 2) offer Brook Lopez a big number and see how Milwaukee responds, 3) Naz Reid, 4) Paul Reed, or 5) target 3rd pick and recoup Nurkic as part of the deal.

Sugus
05-20-2023, 09:01 AM

What's your C wishlist looking like, Chino? Both for FA signing and trades, given that we have the (theoretical at least) assets for pretty wild trades, be it this season or next one.

I also share the skepticism on Zollins' durability and reliability if he's given more of a role than he had last year. But I don't wish to bring back Poeltl, as much as I liked him here, and there aren't too many good Cs on the market nowadays. I don't want to go for a cheap thing, either - I'm of the opinion that a good and reliable C is an absolute must for Wemby's development. The less you are forced to play him at C during his early seasons, the better.

One player I'm keeping an eye on is Bam Adebayo. Miami's obviously on a great run, but they're a Jimmy-heliocentric team, and as soon as his wheels start falling off, they could turn to a rebuilding phase faster than most would expect. I think he'd be an ideal pairing to Wemby, even better than Jak or Zollins.

spurraider21
05-20-2023, 09:40 AM
I already said he got better at it as the season went along. It’s just you use increasingly smaller sample sizes when you add qualifiers

PerforatedNeckline
05-20-2023, 10:42 AM
I think Chinook makes valid points about Collins but I don't know if you can assume much about his durability from missed games down the stretch when the Spurs were pretty clearly holding starters out for very minor bumps and bruises in order to facilitate losing.

Chinook acknowledges this in his post, but I'm just saying I think he pretty well showed he could play a whole season without being tentative or hesitant and without something catastrophic happening to his career. Which is maybe a low bar, but still.

Chinook
05-20-2023, 11:06 AM
I think Chinook makes valid points about Collins but I don't know if you can assume much about his durability from missed games down the stretch when the Spurs were pretty clearly holding starters out for very minor bumps and bruises in order to facilitate losing.

Chinook acknowledges this in his post, but I'm just saying I think he pretty well showed he could play a whole season without being tentative or hesitant and without something catastrophic happening to his career. Which is maybe a low bar, but still.

Collins averaged 20mpg before the trade and still missed 11 games. That's like a 65-game season. I expect something close to that will be his career. It's not horrible, though if those are his minutes, the team is definitely going to need a starting center. I'm okay with giving Zach a legit chance to show what he can do this season (they can extend him at any time), but I would not going into the year without a legit other center on the roster. It's fine to have Collins win the job, but he shouldn't win by default.

Chinook
05-20-2023, 11:11 AM
What's your C wishlist looking like, Chino? Both for FA signing and trades, given that we have the (theoretical at least) assets for pretty wild trades, be it this season or next one.

I also share the skepticism on Zollins' durability and reliability if he's given more of a role than he had last year. But I don't wish to bring back Poeltl, as much as I liked him here, and there aren't too many good Cs on the market nowadays. I don't want to go for a cheap thing, either - I'm of the opinion that a good and reliable C is an absolute must for Wemby's development. The less you are forced to play him at C during his early seasons, the better.

One player I'm keeping an eye on is Bam Adebayo. Miami's obviously on a great run, but they're a Jimmy-heliocentric team, and as soon as his wheels start falling off, they could turn to a rebuilding phase faster than most would expect. I think he'd be an ideal pairing to Wemby, even better than Jak or Zollins.

I like Lopez quite a bit and think he should be the main target on a short-term deal. Reid is a bit small for what I'd want, but him or Wagner are options for a younger guy. I think Len has grown into a rotation center, though that wouldn't be great competition for Collins. Meyers Leonard is actually a legit name as well. He is a big guy who can shoot. He has baggage, but I don't think it's the kind that the Spurs have to worry about staining their reputation. People know PATFO isn't bigoted.

Vince Carter's ankle
05-20-2023, 11:22 AM
I would not going into the year without a legit other center on the roster.
he'll appear on june 22.

Joseph Kony
05-20-2023, 11:48 AM
too bad Kyrie is a flat earther primadonna headcase. character issues aside in terms of skillset he would be the perfect PG for Wemby

RC_Drunkford
05-20-2023, 12:02 PM
I'd love to pair Wemby with Myles Turner, but that will cost

Frenchfred
05-20-2023, 12:11 PM
2024 is better for free agents. The Spurs will probably just go for a couple of veterans this year, continue to develop the youngsters, see of Wenby acclimate and who he needs around him before throwing money at a star

lefty20
05-20-2023, 05:06 PM
Nah man. Just because he can shoot 3’s. Manu makes them baseline passes that bends, I never see anyone does better. Manu’s hesitation moves break ankles. Nah Reaves could be a Benu maybe :lol

He's got a lot of that herky jerky drive game that Manu had mastered. His efficiency/advanced stats also reminds me of Manu. The comparison is not completely unwarranted.

I'd call him a poor man's version of Manu, not the second coming of Manu or Manu2.0.

spurraider21
05-20-2023, 05:24 PM
I'd love to pair Wemby with Myles Turner, but that will cost
Yeah indy finally extended him

ducks
05-20-2023, 08:24 PM
Woj: Lakers will match any offer on Austin Reaves and Rui Hachimura, tabled D’Angelo Russell extension talks until after season

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2023/5/20/23731296/nba-free-agency-rumors-lakers-austin-reaves-rui-hachimura-dangelo-russell-contract-extension

td4mvp2k
05-20-2023, 08:36 PM
Woj: Lakers will match any offer on Austin Reaves and Rui Hachimura, tabled D’Angelo Russell extension talks until after season

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2023/5/20/23731296/nba-free-agency-rumors-lakers-austin-reaves-rui-hachimura-dangelo-russell-contract-extension
good keep them paying the tax

Mr. Body
05-20-2023, 08:39 PM
Lakers to D'Lo: Uh... we'll get back to you.

heyheymymy
05-20-2023, 08:52 PM
If SA did bring KBD back what would the deal look like financially speaking?

I see he got 1.8MM this season

Chinook
05-20-2023, 08:57 PM
KBD has earned himself some money. I would say at least $5 Million a season on a two-year deal.

ducks
05-20-2023, 09:04 PM

BatManu20
05-20-2023, 09:07 PM
Yea I don’t see the lakers letting Reaves get away unless it’s some ludicrous offer, which is unlikely. They’ve been really good since the trade deadline and they’re going to keep this group together.

Stump
05-20-2023, 09:13 PM
KBD has only ever made the minimum. This is the first offseason of his career where he is in a position to negotiate for more. My belief is that he needs to find a deal, here or elsewhere, where he can get some generational wealth.

With so many contracts on the books, three draft picks (maybe more?) in June, and lots of salary cap space, roster spots are pretty valuable. I'm not sure if it makes sense for both sides to continue their relationship. If the Spurs think he is a worthy veteran influence to keep on the team, I would give him a contract that is generous in the first year but protects future cap space (unguaranteed or partially guaranteed future years, declining year-to-year values).

mystargtr34
05-20-2023, 11:54 PM
There are some juicy 2024 free agents.

DeJounte UFA (not a fan tbh)
Jaylen Brown UFA
Anthony Davis PO
LeBron PO
Paul George PO
Kawhi Leonard PO
Domantas Sabonis UFA
Pascal Siakam UFA
OG Anunoby PO

Some good Restricted ones as well like Maxey, Ant Edwards, Haliburton but these restricted guys are usually a pipe dream without overpaying significantly.

Might be better of just being patient trying to put together a monster package for a big fish such as Luka or Giannis at the end of 2023-2024. You have to hope they are disgruntled and want to leave and the Spurs have to show they have a bright future during next season with Wemby.

mystargtr34
05-21-2023, 12:03 AM
Out of the potential 2024 FA's.

Quick and dirty rankings in terms of fit with the current Spurs.

1. Sabonis might be a good fit next to Wemby who would cover Sabonis biggest weakness (rim protection). Will be 28 in 2024.
2. Jaylen Brown could play 2 or 3 but would mean one of Keldon or Vassell is gone. Will be 28 in 2024.
3. Siakam would be a good get but might be some fit issues with Wemby and Sochan still need a stronger C to play with those guys. Maybe Siakam can get by as a 3. Will be 30yo by the time 2024 comes around might be pushing it to align with Wemby.
4. OG has become overrated but he's a high end role player or a good third option on a contender if you have a strong 1st and 2nd scoring option. Will be 27 in 2024.
5. AD will be 31 in 2024 but he looks like he is one rebound away from having a season ending injury on every play.
6. Kawhi will be 33 in 2024 and looks broken tbh.

mystargtr34
05-21-2023, 12:07 AM
Devin Booker might be a 2nd tier star you go after with a trade package at end of next season if the Suns looks like they're heading into the abyss (Durant regression, injury etc.).

Brandon Ingram is another (Zion injuries, CJ McCollum being trash).

SGA maybe.

Chinook
05-21-2023, 01:17 AM
Reaves is another guy pumped up by his market. I'm not saying he's not good, but he's not worth more than the MLE. Some people on YouTube said he was worth a low-max, which is ludicrous. He might legit be a decent player on another team ala Caruso, but Alex was paid way more reasonably.

spurraider21
05-21-2023, 01:47 AM
Reaves will get more than MLE money imo. And while it’s easy to say the lakers will match, a quick offer sheet could put them in a really bad spot. They might have some cap space this offseason if they renounce hachimura, for example. But Reaves has a very small cap hold. An offer sheet that comes in before they’ve been able to lock in a FA signing could be completely brutal

RC_Drunkford
05-21-2023, 02:14 AM
Send in the offer sheet then :lol I hope the Lakers have to overpay both

Teamduncan21
05-21-2023, 03:35 AM
Don't buy into Lakers crap. Laker players tend to be hyped more than normal. Caruso, kuzma, Clarkson, bynum etc. When they move to another team, then they're good but nothing worth overpaying. The big market is able to hype up their players well. (warriors does the same, say making Poole or Wiggins sound better than they are especially last year)

MultiTroll
05-21-2023, 03:45 AM
Reaves is another guy pumped up by his market. I'm not saying he's not good, but he's not worth more than the MLE. Some people on YouTube said he was worth a low-max, which is ludicrous. He might legit be a decent player on another team ala Caruso, but Alex was paid way more reasonably.
Thank you.

Lot of Lebron hate here and elsewhere. Truth of the matter is Lebron draws a hell of a lot of coverage including doubles as well as on-the run. Is often fantastic at then dumping off to the open man.
That is how Reeves gets a LOT of his wide open Laker looks.

Creating his own shot when locked down on D? Ya very average.

Bruno
05-21-2023, 03:57 AM
I wouldn't mind Spurs just re-signing Tre Jones and filling the roster with cheap players. Spurs priority isn't winning at that stage of the rebuilding plan. It's all about letting the young players grow and seeing how they fit together and how good they are.

Saying that, if they truly believe in a FA or a mid to late first round pick, Spurs have all the assets to get him with all their cap space and future picks.

tbdog
05-21-2023, 04:34 AM

Reaves is a pretty much a complete role player and should play for all playoff teams. He is a decent defender. He is a decent play maker. He is a decent shooter. He can draw fouls and he plays hard. He doesn't really have faults for a guard.

lefty20
05-21-2023, 04:39 AM
The absolute max any team can offer Reaves is 4/98. I honestly think Lakers would match this as well, but do so grudgingly.

Imma be shocked if he doesn't get at least one offer of 4/80 or better.

onechance87
05-21-2023, 07:44 AM
Surely we try to get jakob poeltl....Would be nice to have a defensive big paired up with wemby for the next few years

couchman
05-21-2023, 08:35 AM
Austin Reaves and Poeltl are the most likely FA to fit here imo.
The Spurs original plan for Wemby was for Poeltl to start at C and Wemby to play PF.
Reaves might be a starting PG.
Resign Jones for sure.
Mamu and Champagnie are probably yes.
Probably Barlow as well.
Naz Reid is a maybe for me but probably not.

CGD
05-21-2023, 09:13 AM
KBD has only ever made the minimum. This is the first offseason of his career where he is in a position to negotiate for more. My belief is that he needs to find a deal, here or elsewhere, where he can get some generational wealth.

With so many contracts on the books, three draft picks (maybe more?) in June, and lots of salary cap space, roster spots are pretty valuable. I'm not sure if it makes sense for both sides to continue their relationship. If the Spurs think he is a worthy veteran influence to keep on the team, I would give him a contract that is generous in the first year but protects future cap space (unguaranteed or partially guaranteed future years, declining year-to-year values).

He’s part of the churn, and I think he’ll get a decent contract from someone else for it. Like the idea of front loading a 1 year deal (with no/little guaranteed money next year) and seeing if they can get an asset for him in Feb or use his contract for matching purposes.

talkspurs
05-21-2023, 10:53 AM
A player I would like to see us go after is Jamal Cain of Miami. I think he is a RFA but I would like to see us go after him and see what he becomes. That being said we also dont have many spots on the roster to develop players that are not already here so he might have to push someone else off.

exstatic
05-21-2023, 10:57 AM
he'll appear on june 22.

Wembys not a center, no matter what the mock drafts say.

DAF86
05-21-2023, 11:17 AM
6. Kawhi will be 33 in 2024 and looks broken tbh.

Damn, I feel old.

DAF86
05-21-2023, 11:21 AM

Yes, he is. That's the position that will take the most out of him and that's where he will play 99% of his career. Folks wanting to pair him with a traditional center ala Poeltl need to stop overthinking things.

heyheymymy
05-21-2023, 11:22 AM
Damn, I feel old.

First George Hill and now this. Damn time files.

offset formation
05-21-2023, 11:26 AM
Yea I don’t see the lakers letting Reaves get away unless it’s some ludicrous offer, which is unlikely. They’ve been really good since the trade deadline and they’re going to keep this group together.

Drive up his price.

KobesAchilles
05-21-2023, 11:51 AM
The dream is of course Luka. A Luka/Wemby combo would be amazing. But no way Dallas will trade him to us. Our best real bet is to suck again next year and get lucky and enter the top 5 in the draft. I actually think PG13 will be moved after next year when the Clippers lose again in the first round. He is a player I would like.

Really though I want a vet with championship experience and knowledge. We are so freaking young. It’s why I want Klay. Our kids need to learn how to be professionals, how to work, how to act, and how to be a pro. Even Chris Paul would demand that. Maybe Kyle Lowry off the bench. He’s a winner and a hard worker and even at 38 he’s productive for a back up PG.

Chinook
05-21-2023, 12:16 PM
Reaves is a pretty much a complete role player and should play for all playoff teams. He is a decent defender. He is a decent play maker. He is a decent shooter. He can draw fouls and he plays hard. He doesn't really have faults for a guard.

There's a huge gap from capable player to max contract. The MLE is basically made for players like him, though the Spurs signing him for a bit more than that if that like he would make sense. But let's put things into perspective. He's playing at an equivalent level of 2012 Danny Green. Both were very capable complimentary players who excelled at filling in the gaps around their teams' stars. Yes, Reaves' non-shooting offensive game is way better than any Green showed, but he's also not an elite defender at his position. If you want to put Reaves a little above so be it. How much is that worth? Green would've likely got the full MLE on the market. The combination of his playoff slump and him wanting to remain with the Spurs lead to a discount.

Reaves has to be put into context. He's not playing like one of the actual best players on a winning team. There's only so much money -- especially with the new salary rules coming up -- that you can pay for a guy you want to be your fourth- or fifth-best player. MAYBE the Spurs could afford to pay him huge money solely because his contract would coincide with Wemby's rookie deal. But as a guy who'd at best be fighting Vassell and Johnson for a starting spot, there's a clear limit to what's a tenable offer the Spurs could make.

BacktoBasics
05-21-2023, 01:36 PM
The dream is of course Luka. A Luka/Wemby combo would be amazing. But no way Dallas will trade him to us. Our best real bet is to suck again next year and get lucky and enter the top 5 in the draft. I actually think PG13 will be moved after next year when the Clippers lose again in the first round. He is a player I would like.

Really though I want a vet with championship experience and knowledge. We are so freaking young. It’s why I want Klay. Our kids need to learn how to be professionals, how to work, how to act, and how to be a pro. Even Chris Paul would demand that. Maybe Kyle Lowry off the bench. He’s a winner and a hard worker and even at 38 he’s productive for a back up PG.
Pg13 is fine but he never plays. These guys who play 50-60% of the games don’t have me sold that it’s worth the investment.

Degoat
05-21-2023, 07:55 PM
I hate him as a player but what do we think of Dillon Brooks? Lol he’s a clown, but I do think because he challenged Lebron the national media really wanted the public to hate him because he went against the king.

BacktoBasics
05-21-2023, 08:11 PM
I hate him as a player but what do we think of Dillon Brooks? Lol he’s a clown, but I do think because he challenged Lebron the national media really wanted the public to hate him because he went against the king.
Could be a Mario Elie type.

Mr. Body
05-21-2023, 08:26 PM
Brooks was shitcanned by the Grizz because he wants to be paid, but also because he was yapping way too much and he really was not good.

CGD
05-21-2023, 08:27 PM

If it were like year 3 of Wemby and we were about to take the next, I’d say these types of players are valuable. But not now.

K...
05-21-2023, 08:27 PM

too soon in the rebuild to get a loudmouth, just focus on talent then psychology. Wemby might be a killer , sochan might be crazier once he gets more famous. Next coach might have a different psch than pop. lots of variables right now to pick a talent based on their personaility over talent. Now if you meant "he's available and cheap" disregard.

JPB
05-21-2023, 08:28 PM

If Luka asks to be traded to SA, Dallas won't have the choice, like NO with AD to the lakers, where they really didn't want to send him, specially if the spurs have the best package. All Luka has to do is let everyone knows he won't renew with any other team than SA... No one will drop 4 or 5 FRPs and a couple valuable players for a year rental.

exstatic
05-21-2023, 08:29 PM
Yes, he is. That's the position that will take the most out of him and that's where he will play 99% of his career. Folks wanting to pair him with a traditional center ala Poeltl need to stop overthinking things.

He’s literally said he doesn’t want to play center. Playing him there is the fastest road to another Kawhi situation, and a waste of his perimeter skills. Kevin Durant is 6’11” and no one ever considered playing him at center, despite his center height.

Ariel
05-21-2023, 08:35 PM
If it were like year 3 of Wemby and we were about to take the next, I’d say these types of players are valuable. But not now.
Dillon Brooks is a present Dallas type player, not Spurs.

CGD
05-21-2023, 08:41 PM
The FA crop this summer is meh.

I think the more interesting question is the trade market : 1) leveraging the capspace, and 2) shopping Keldon potentially.

KobesAchilles
05-21-2023, 09:27 PM
Do we have to use all our cap this year? Can we just do a buncha 1 year deals with a team option 2nd year? Kinda like what the Texans do in football?

scott
05-21-2023, 09:31 PM
Do we have to use all our cap this year? Can we just do a buncha 1 year deals with a team option 2nd year? Kinda like what the Texans do in football?

What's the max we're allowed go give Gorgeui Dieng on a one year deal? Because we might see it happen :lol

TD 21
05-21-2023, 09:59 PM
Not a free agent (2/$45M remaining), but with the Celtics season ending in disaster and him admitting that being a 6th man is tough and he's only really able to accept it because of their status, I wonder if Brogdon will want out.

It'd have to include a third team to provide them with a win-now player(s) for Spurs draft capital, but he's not only a central casting Spur, but an ideal fit with the current roster.

BatManu20
05-21-2023, 10:00 PM
Watching the 2-Seed Celtics get absolutely smashed by the 8-Seed Miami Heat for a 3-0 Miami series lead, it’s evident the Tatum/Brown pairing isn’t working. Jaylen Brown is an UFA in 2024 and I wouldn’t be surprised if he wants out of Boston. The Spurs could very well have interest, depending on what happens with Keldon. Brown will be 27 and entering his prime next Summer. He’s not worth a SuperMax, but he’ll be a hot commodity nonetheless. Or they might want to just skip 2024 altogether and keep their options open for 2025 (Luka, Giannis, Lebron, Paul George, AD, etc.). Something to keep an eye on.

Ariel
05-21-2023, 10:17 PM
Not a free agent (2/$45M remaining), but with the Celtics season ending in disaster and him admitting that being a 6th man is tough and he's only really able to accept it because of their status, I wonder if Brogdon will want out.

It'd have to include a third team to provide them with a win-now player(s) for Spurs draft capital, but he's not only a central casting Spur, but an ideal fit with the current roster.
Brogdon played well for the Celtics and won't come cheap, will be 31 shortly after next season starts, will raise our floor now and likely not our ceiling when we actually need it. I'm not saying we shouldn't try to improve or balance out the roster, but not at a high cost when it won't impact wins in the long term.

Ariel
05-21-2023, 10:18 PM
Watching the 2-Seed Celtics get absolutely smashed by the 8-Seed Miami Heat for a 3-0 Miami series lead, it’s evident the Tatum/Brown pairing isn’t working. Jaylen Brown is an UFA in 2024 and I wouldn’t be surprised if he wants out of Boston. The Spurs could very well have interest, depending on what happens with Keldon. Brown will be 27 and entering his prime next Summer. He’s not worth a SuperMax, but he’ll be a hot commodity nonetheless. Or they might want to just skip 2024 altogether and keep their options open for 2025 (Luka, Giannis, Lebron, Paul George, AD, etc.). Something to keep an eye on.
Not a huge Jaylen Brown fan, but I'm not opposed if we sign him as a FA. Absolutely against trading for him, though.

BacktoBasics
05-21-2023, 10:21 PM
Dillon Brooks is a present Dallas type player, not Spurs.

I actually think he’d be a good fit for Dallas if doesn’t get stupid with his contract demands.

BacktoBasics
05-21-2023, 10:26 PM
The FA crop this summer is meh.

I think the more interesting question is the trade market : 1) leveraging the capspace, and 2) shopping Keldon potentially.

I don’t think they shop Keldon. It’s getting a little ridiculous here. You can’t replace Keldon with a better player unless you’re gonna surrender numerous picks. Which is really dumb considering the picks will hold more value as they age. Especially if Atlanta struggles.

Keldon is a guy you shop down the road if necessary.

As far as I’m concerned. Keldon is vital in carry some of the load while Wemby breaks in and finds his place.

You cannot give up that much production when you know your franchise player isn’t ready to carry the load. You run the risk of poisoning the team. Keldon buys time. A year or more. Then and only then do you shop him.

So dumb to shop a 20ppg scorer with great culture and chemistry without returning proven players.

Ariel
05-21-2023, 10:32 PM
I actually think he’d be a good fit for Dallas if doesn’t get stupid with his contract demands.
Yeah, they need defensive wings in the worst way and can make up for his inefficient offense. Plus, he comes at a risk but they're on the brink of alienating Luka, so they miight as well go for it. Dallas needs to do what the Lakers did, forget about stars and get 3/4 good role players in their prime. That's what their #10 pick should be used for. That won't make them contenders, but it can make them good enough for a second round or conference finals, which is where you need to be not to lose Luka in the short term.

Extra Stout
05-21-2023, 10:37 PM
I don’t think they shop Keldon. It’s getting a little ridiculous here. You can’t replace Keldon with a better player unless you’re gonna surrender numerous picks…

So dumb to shop a 20ppg scorer with great culture and chemistry without returning proven players.

But he’s so bad on defense, and he only scored 22 ppg because somebody had to take the shots. He wasn’t that efficient. Flame me if you want, but in totality I think he’s barely a rotation player on a good team. I don’t see his contract as a bargain. He has some positive intangibles, sure, but if somebody overvalues him I think it’s a no-brainer to move him.

CorrectCrusader
05-21-2023, 11:01 PM
Brooks was shitcanned by the Grizz because he wants to be paid, but also because he was yapping way too much and he really was not good.

Memphis canning brooks is hilarious when Ja is being even worse of a character.

BacktoBasics
05-21-2023, 11:32 PM
But he’s so bad on defense, and he only scored 22 ppg because somebody had to take the shots. He wasn’t that efficient. Flame me if you want, but in totality I think he’s barely a rotation player on a good team. I don’t see his contract as a bargain. He has some positive intangibles, sure, but if somebody overvalues him I think it’s a no-brainer to move him.
Some of these issues resolve themselves when the team in general is playing better. You can’t force a guy who is ideally the perfect 3rd option to lead a team and then bitch about “inefficiency”.

Extra Stout
05-21-2023, 11:37 PM
Some of these issues resolve themselves when the team in general is playing better. You can’t force a guy who is ideally the perfect 3rd option to lead a team and then bitch about “inefficiency”.
Fair, but a guy whose offense is only good enough to be a third option needs to be a plus defender, or else on a decent team he belongs on the bench playing spot minutes.

mudyez
05-22-2023, 12:01 AM

At least he should be protected while not habing filled out his frame. Just play him alongside a center or at least have Sohan defend them.
Play Wemby as C again certain teams that are not playing traditional Centers and in some end of game situations. Long term, it might be best (ultimate skill ball) to have him Center fulltime.

Btw.: Anyone remember KD playing SG for some time wirth the Sonics? I remember that not going well, but why not experiment with Wemby playing alongside two other bigs at least if the oposing SF isn't a go to type of guy?

Teamduncan21
05-22-2023, 12:02 AM
Memphis canning brooks is hilarious when Ja is being even worse of a character.

Because trash talking lebron is really not the main reason for getting canned. It's his production vs cost. That's why sochan can trash lebron if he wants as long as he plays well, just need to let production match.
If he doesn't then that will be a problem

Mr. Body
05-22-2023, 12:38 AM
Because trash talking lebron is really not the main reason for getting canned. It's his production vs cost. That's why sochan can trash lebron if he wants as long as he plays well, just need to let production match.
If he doesn't then that will be a problem

Also, Sochan hasn't trash-talked LeBron. He posted some emojis on social media.

If he starts talking cocky shit before and during games, I'm sure Pop will take care of it.

onechance87
05-22-2023, 06:47 AM
I would pay brook lopez...He helped relieve pressure off antetounmpo defensively and offensively...Think he could do the same for wemby

EricB
05-22-2023, 07:23 AM
I would pay brook lopez...He helped relieve pressure off antetounmpo defensively and offensively...Think he could do the same for wemby

zero reason when you have Zach Collins

Degoat
05-22-2023, 07:29 AM
Not to argue for Brooks but his defense is better then any of our current spurs, offensively he’s an idiot but he was locking guys up this year like him or not.

JPB
05-22-2023, 07:34 AM
Also, Sochan hasn't trash-talked LeBron. He posted some emojis on social media.

If he starts talking cocky shit before and during games, I'm sure Pop will take care of it.

Didn't know "why the "king" is flopping so much" was an emoji.

Mr. Body
05-22-2023, 08:30 AM
Didn't know "why the "king" is flopping so much" was an emoji.

That was just a comment on the game. The trolling was the emojis.

DAF86
05-22-2023, 09:08 AM
He’s literally said he doesn’t want to play center. Playing him there is the fastest road to another Kawhi situation, and a waste of his perimeter skills. Kevin Durant is 6’11” and no one ever considered playing him at center, despite his center height.

Tim Duncan also said he didn't like playing center and he played center his whole career, despite the Greatest Power forward of All-time narrative.

Wemby says he doesn't want to play center and that's exactly what he plays now in France. Playing center in today's NBA doesn't mean posting up on every possesion. It doesn't mean standing below the hoop all-game. It doesn't even have to mean guarding the likes of Jokic and Embiid.

But it does mean that when you do post up Wemby, you don't have a 7 foot stiff clogging up the paint. It means that when an opossing players attacks the basket, Victor isn't usessly standing around the 3 pt line on defense. Among some other things.

He's a center, he will be a center. That doesn't mean that you'll put him on a box and prevent him from displaying his entire arsenal.

Mr. Body
05-22-2023, 09:13 AM
Tim Duncan also said he didn't like playing center and he played center his whole career, despite the Greatest Power forward of All-time narrative.

Wemby says he doesn't want to play center and that's exactly what he plays now in France. Playing center in today's NBA doesn't mean posting up on every possesion. It doesn't mean standing below the hoop all-game. It doesn't even have to mean guarding the likes of Jokic and Embiid.

But it does mean that when you do post up Wemby, you don't have a 7 foot stiff clogging up the paint. It means that when an opossing players attacks the basket, Victor isn't usessly standing around the 3 pt line on defense. Among some other things.

He's a center, he will be a center. That doesn't mean that you'll put him on a box and prevent him from displaying his entire arsenal.

He really needs someone with strength to play next to him. Whether you call that person a PF or whatever, it doesn't matter. But you don't want Wembanyama constantly bumped and hit by beefy guys with lower centers of gravity. As for playing style, he's not a center at all. Defensively is another matter.

DAF86
05-22-2023, 09:15 AM
He really needs someone with strength to play next to him. Whether you call that person a PF or whatever, it doesn't matter. But you don't want Wembanyama constantly bumped and hit by beefy guys with lower centers of gravity. As for playing style, he's not a center at all. Defensively is another matter.

The whole point of having a 7'4" guy that can dribble and shoot is causing matchup problems. If you play that 7'4" guy always on the perimiter and pair him with a traditional center, you wouldn't be creating any matchup problem.

Mr. Body
05-22-2023, 09:23 AM
The whole point of having a 7'4" guy that can dribble and shoot is causing matchup problems. If you play that 7'4" guy always on the perimiter and pair him with a traditional center, you wouldn't be creating any matchup problem.

I mean, he's not a center. You need to actually watch him.

You'll still get matchups when you play him along with Collins, which is what will happen. Collins can leave the lane when he needs to. He's a good shooter.

Just as often, Wembanyama will pull out of the lane to let others work. For example, Sochan making attacks at the bucket. This is what he does now. He'll be picking guards or floating away from the action. They're going to move him around a lot.

This isn't Duncan where you're posting him up even 80%. Not at all. Wembanyama is kind of terrible as a post guy and it's not his game, but they'll work on it.

DAF86
05-22-2023, 11:03 AM
I mean, he's not a center. You need to actually watch him.

You'll still get matchups when you play him along with Collins, which is what will happen. Collins can leave the lane when he needs to. He's a good shooter.

Just as often, Wembanyama will pull out of the lane to let others work. For example, Sochan making attacks at the bucket. This is what he does now. He'll be picking guards or floating away from the action. They're going to move him around a lot.

This isn't Duncan where you're posting him up even 80%. Not at all. Wembanyama is kind of terrible as a post guy and it's not his game, but they'll work on it.

I watch him play plenty, that's why I know he plays as a center in France.

I agree Collins is a decent fit, because he can easily play PF too. The idea of having to pair Wemby with a traditional center like a Duren or Poeltl is what I have a problem with. You wouldn't be getting the most out of Victor in that kind of setup.

objective
05-22-2023, 12:02 PM
I'm leaning towards Brook Lopez if it's a declining 3 year deal, or partial guarantee on the last year. It would probably only be good for 1.5 years like with Pau, but Brook can play inside or outside on offense as needed.

I'm not super thrilled about it, he'll be 35 next year. But they have money to spend and he should be off the books before a Wemby extension blows away any cap space.

exstatic
05-22-2023, 12:04 PM
I watch him play plenty, that's why I know he plays as a center in France.

I agree Collins is a decent fit, because he can easily play PF too. The idea of having to pair Wemby with a traditional center like a Duren or Poeltl is what I have a problem with. You wouldn't be getting the most out of Victor in that kind of setup.

You also wouldn't be getting the shit beat out of him in that kind of a setup, either. There's that.

Mugen
05-22-2023, 12:12 PM
Reaves will get at least 80mil/4 year. I could see Utah doing that or even the Spurs tbh.

DAF86
05-22-2023, 12:16 PM
You also wouldn't be getting the shit beat out of him in that kind of a setup, either. There's that.

This is 2023, nobody's beating the shit out of anybody. :lol

Also, what do you propose? Have the 7'4" guy with an 8'1" wingspan standing around on the perimeter guarding the 3 pt line?

Ariel
05-22-2023, 12:19 PM
https://i.ibb.co/SRdjH5X/asparagus.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/rvqKXh2/cassava.png
Wemby & Chet vs NBA centers

exstatic
05-22-2023, 12:20 PM
This is 2023, nobody's beating the shit out of anybody. :lol

Also, what do you propose? Have the 7'4" with an 8'1" wingspan standing around on the perimeter guarding the 3 pt line?

He'd play off the 3 point line and sag for WS blocks. He can recover from almost in the lane all the way to the 3 line in the blink of an eye.

There are still enough big 5s to punish him in the paint. You don't even have to be all that big. He's a twig.

Leetonidas
05-22-2023, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't worry much about Wemby getting bullied by NBA centers. Aside from Nurkic and Valancunias, what other bigs really feature a banger-type offensive game? Embiid is constantly flopping and settle for jumpers. Jokic is unstoppable regardless. But there arent many low-post banging Cs these days so idk why everyone is so worried about Wemby being able to hold his own against NBA centers

Extra Stout
05-22-2023, 12:26 PM
He has an 8-foot wingspan. He moves great laterally. Around the paint he’ll alter so many shots that teams will start just not taking them.

I guess the trade off is that stronger 5’s will be able to back him down in the paint. Maybe they’ll bully him out of some rebounds.

DAF86
05-22-2023, 01:14 PM
He'd play off the 3 point line and sag for WS blocks. He can recover from almost in the lane all the way to the 3 line in the blink of an eye.

There are still enough big 5s to punish him in the paint. You don't even have to be all that big. He's a twig.

Which 5s big enough do you know that post up? Jokic, Embiid. Who else?

But in any case, you don't need traditional centers to defend them. Look how Hachimura has maneged to contain Jokic after the Serb went for 33 pts in the first 3 quartes of the WCF. I could see Sochan doing that type of job for the 6 or 8 games in a season we'll need to defend those type of centers.

spurraider21
05-22-2023, 01:25 PM
i mean... having an NBA forward try to defend a 7'4 guy does sound like a matchup problem. hard to contest a guys shot with that kind of length. its what makes durant so great

spurraider21
05-22-2023, 01:26 PM
Reaves will get at least 80mil/4 year. I could see Utah doing that or even the Spurs tbh.
hopefully its a midnight offer sheet. put the lakers on the clock. they are going to want to abuse his low cap hold to make some maneuvers. forcing an accelerated timeline could really screw them

DAF86
05-22-2023, 01:30 PM
i mean... having an NBA forward try to defend a 7'4 guy does sound like a matchup problem. hard to contest a guys shot with that kind of length. its what makes durant so great

Wemby is nowhere near the kind of shooter nor ball-handler that Durant is, though, and never will be. Opposing coaches would be happy with Wembanyama taking fadeaway jumpers over their forwards all day long, tbh.

Wemby isn't going to win games with his jumpshot and perimeter play on the NBA. He's gonna win them with his size and hability to do things at the center position, that other centers can't do. But for that to happen, you have to play him at center.