PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo: Spurs front-runners in race for Maggette

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

traitoravery
07-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Spurs front-runners in race for Maggette
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

The San Antonio Spurs have targeted Corey Maggette and are the front-runners to sign the Los Angeles Clippers’ free agent forward, multiple league sources said Tuesday night.

While no deal was imminent, Maggette would be expected to sign a multi-year deal for the mid-level exception, a move that would fulfill the Spurs’ desperate need for perimeter athleticism and scoring. Maggette would be leaving the Clippers, just as the team came to an agreement with Golden State free agent Baron Davis on a contract. With so much sudden salary cap space, the Warriors could be a threat to swoop in and take Maggette for themselves. The Boston Celtics have also shown serious interest in Maggette.

Another team with salary cap room, the Philadelphia 76ers, will present Atlanta Hawks restricted free agent Josh Smith an offer sheet on Wednesday when he visits with Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski in Philadelphia, two league sources said.

The Spurs struggled to generate points in the Western Conference finals against the Los Angeles Lakers and believe Maggette could make a dramatic impact as a complement to Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. Maggette averaged 22.1 points and 5.6 rebounds for the Clippers, who expect now to quickly re-sign free agent Elton Brand.

The Spurs had targeted Maggette as an explosive offensive addition to an offense that struggled to generate points in the Western Conference finals against the Los Angeles Lakers. Maggette averaged 22.1 points and 5.6 rebounds for the Clippers, who expect now to quickly re-sign free agent Elton Brand.

Maggette, 28, opted out of his contract with the Clippers on Monday, along with Brand. He had hopes of returning to the Orlando Magic, but the Spurs, who have an interest in Denver restricted free agent J.R. Smith and Detroit free agent Jarvis Hayes, made an aggressive push in the last 24 hours to sell Maggette on playing an important part in restoring them to a championship team.

“He’s going to take a lot of the offensive load off (Manu) Ginobili, but (Spurs coach Gregg) Popovich will have to hide him defensively on the floor,” a Western Conference scout said Tuesday night.

Maggette can sign on July 9, once the NBA’s moratorium on free agents is lifted.

LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ar6koHOIv8MQft2JGqkcjHk5nYcB?slug=aw-spursmaggette070108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
Fuck Yeah!!!:downspin:

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 09:08 PM
hellz Yes!

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Nice.

romad_20
07-01-2008, 09:09 PM
LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ar6koHOIv8MQft2JGqkcjHk5nYcB?slug=aw-spursmaggette070108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
Fuck Yeah!!!:downspin:

Shut the fuck up :wow Well, i'm not getting my hopes up until pen meets paper.

Buddy Holly
The San Antonio Spurs have targeted Corey Maggette and are the front-runners to sign the Los Angeles Clippers’ free agent forward, multiple league sources said Tuesday night.

remingtonbo2001
Fresh off the Rack.

O-Factor
Awesome.

duncan228
07-01-2008, 09:10 PM
“He’s going to take a lot of the offensive load off (Manu) Ginobili, but (Spurs coach Gregg) Popovich will have to hide him defensively on the floor,” a Western Conference scout said Tuesday night.

Buddy Holly
http://www.coreymaggetteonline.org/images/Corey-Maggette-pic.jpg

Marcus Bryant
Maggette, 28, opted out of his contract with the Clippers on Monday, along with Brand. He had hopes of returning to the Orlando Magic, but the Spurs, who have an interest in Denver restricted free agent J.R. Smith and Detroit free agent Jarvis Hayes, made an aggressive push in the last 24 hours to sell Maggette on playing an important part in restoring them to a championship team.

Maggette can sign on July 9, once the NBA’s moratorium on free agents is lifted.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 09:11 PM
If Finley's D made it three seasons with the Spurs, Maggette will be fine.

timvp
Holy crap. I thought Maggette would be unattainable this offseason. Thank you Baron Davis.

If this becomes official, the Spurs would have gotten the best shooting guard in the open market. :wow

completely deck
oh please please please

bigdog
07-01-2008, 09:12 PM
HELL YES.

I'm waiting to see a report on an agreement, but if they are really the frontrunners, then HELL YES.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Holy crap. I thought Maggette would be unattainable this offseason. Thank you Baron Davis.

If this becomes official, the Spurs would have gotten the best shooting guard in the open market. :wow

From .1% to 1% to 99.9999999%? :downspin:

traitoravery
07-01-2008, 09:13 PM
The Big Four!! :hungry:

T Park
07-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Holy shit

wow wow ow

How nice would that be.

td4mvp21
07-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Holy crap....please let this happen...

timvp
07-01-2008, 09:14 PM
From .1 to 1 to 99.9999999? :downspin:Still early. Teams with cap space haven't been spoken for yet. I still say it's less than a 50% chance but perhaps there is fire behind this smoke.

TheMadHatter
07-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Wow the Maggette race is now getting started. I heard he wanted to go back to ORL though. They desperately need a SG/SF player like him as well.

T Park
While no deal was imminent

That gives me some serious pause.

objective
He doesn't shoot a good %, but neither did Finley!

Marcus Bryant
Well, one thing's for certain. They aren't aiming to "stand pat."

Imagine that.

T Park
Still early. Teams with cap space haven't been spoken for yet. I still say it's less than a 50% chance but perhaps there is fire behind this smoke.

According to the article Philly is going after Josh Smith so that would take them out of the running.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Normally I wouldn't put too much stock in it but there's that whole comment about multiple league sources are saying it.

The Spurs and their personnel moves don't make waves, so if there's smoke with this, it's coming from Maggette's camp. Interesting development.

Pistons < Spurs
07-01-2008, 09:16 PM
:wow:wow

T Park
Well, one thing's for certain. They aren't aiming to "stand pat."

Imagine that.

Shocking.

Bruno
Getting Maggette would be unexpected and awesome.

Spurs will have basically fixed their perimeter.

PG : Parker / Hill / Vaughn
SG : Bowen / Ginobili / shooter (Finley, Barry, Giricek ..)
SF : Maggette / Udoka / prospect (Hairston, Gist..)

Biggems
07-01-2008, 09:17 PM
I just shit my shorts with excitement....brb, I have to change

TheMadHatter
07-01-2008, 09:17 PM
The race is just getting started. Teams with capspace will weigh in and then things will get interesting. Right now nobody has offered Maggette anything above the MLE, who knows if it will stay that way.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Please make it so.

T Park
The race is just getting started. Teams with capspace will weigh in and then things will get interesting. Right now nobody has offered Maggette anything above the MLE, who knows if it will stay that way.

There are two teams with room more than MLE

One is the Sixers and they are preparing a deal for Josh Smith.

So its down to 1.

remingtonbo2001
It's like the night before Christmas....In July.

Buddy Holly
Does anyone think we could sign Barnes for the LLE?

Brutalis
07-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Woo wee Maggz is playing our fiddle.

Aggie Hoopsfan
He doesn't shoot a good %, but neither did Finley!

He averages 22 points per game on 46% FG shooting and shoots 2% better than Finley from three. :wtf

Marcus Bryant
The first domino fell, which was the Clippers needing to renounce him to sign another free agent and thereby precluding the possibility of a sign and trade.

Now the Spurs will need the Warriors, Sixers, and Grizzlies to use their cap space on other players.

If that falls, then the Spurs will basically have to lure him to SA over other teams offering the same amount of $.

td4mvp21
What about Maggette for the MLE and Diop for the LLE? That would be ideal.

oligarchy
Getting Maggette would be unexpected and awesome.

Spurs will have basically fixed their perimeter.

PG : Parker / Hill / Vaughn
SG : Bowen / Ginobili / shooter (Finley, Barry, Giricek ..)
SF : Maggette / Udoka / prospect (Hairston, Gist..)

So, Maggette for MLE, and that would leave LLE and minimum contracts. What do you think the chances are that Giricek would sign for LLE? I would love to have Giricek at SG for LLE. He plays some pretty good D and is a pretty good shooter.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Does anyone think we could sign Barnes for the LLE?

I think the LLE is going to Barry or the last big.

montgod
07-01-2008, 09:20 PM
I think there are three teams in the race: Spurs, Celtics, and Magic.

It's really up to Maggette who he wants to go with. Throw in the fact that SA and FL are tax free states. The Spurs really could get him.

Lets hope this works out and doesn't turn out like.... you know who from the CLippers back in the day - even though it was a good omen that he never came.

T Park
The first domino fell, which was the Clippers needing to renounce him to sign another free agent and thereby precluding the possibility of a sign and trade.

Now the Spurs will need the Warriors, Sixers, and Grizzlies to use their cap space on other players.

If that falls, then the Spurs will basically have to lure him to SA over other teams offering the same amount of $.

Ah ok.

Grizzlies doesn't seem likely cause they just got Mayo and they are not in a win now mode.

Warriors is a possibility, and the Sixers are supposedly targeting Josh Smith number 1 though.

objective
He averages 22 points per game on 46% FG shooting and shoots 2% better than Finley from three. :wtf

I was just pointing out that at worst he'll shoot like Finley.

oligarchy
I think the LLE is going to Barry or the last big.

We don't have to use the LLE on Barry, we can use the non-bird exception (or Thomas if we resigned him).

timvp
07-01-2008, 09:21 PM
The thing I love about Maggette's game is his ability to get to the free throw line. He gets to the line as much as Parker and Ginobili combined. He can also rebound and has the tools to be a good defender.

He's a little bit of a china doll and his character can sometimes be questioned, however for the MLE, he's a FANTASTIC buy. This is a guy who can give you about 20 points and five boards a night while getting to the free throw line 9 or 10 times per game.

If Spurs fans wanted JR Smith, Maggette is basically JR Smith except not crazy and with a more varied repertoire.

Damn, this would be so nice.

Buddy Holly

Doesn't that sort of read like he said yes to the Spurs?

T Park
So, Maggette for MLE, and that would leave LLE and minimum contracts (I believe they also have the bi-annual). What do you think the chances are that Giricek would sign for LLE (or bi-annual)? I would love to have Giricek at SG for LLE. He plays some pretty good D and is a pretty good shooter.

Yeah if Barry leaves that would be idea signing him.

Pop likes his defense.

td4mvp21

Not only that, but he's an athletic slasher. Also, he averaged 5.6 rpg. I'll take that from a wing/small forward any day.

T Park
The thing I love about Maggette's game is his ability to get to the free throw line. He gets to the line as much as Parker and Ginobili combined. He can also rebound and has the tools to be a good defender.

He's a little bit of a china doll and his character can sometimes be questioned, however for the MLE, he's a FANTASTIC buy. This is a guy who can give you about 20 points and five boards a night while getting to the free throw line 9 or 10 times per game.

If Spurs fans wanted JR Smith, Maggette is basically JR Smith except not crazy and with a more varied repertoire.

Damn, this would be so nice.

The perfect small ball 4 as well when needed.

Aggie Hoopsfan

Memphis has Rudy Gay, O.J. Mayo, Antoine Walker, and Hakeem Warrick. Don't see them chasing another G/F.

To me, it comes down to Philly and GS.

MI21
I'm thinking not a lot of the Spurs fans realise just how good Maggette is.

This would also make the drafting of a backup PG a very good move and with Mahinmi coming through the Spurs would have just got some youth, energy and athleticism all over the court.

Please happen!

Biggems
07-01-2008, 09:22 PM
So lets say we do get Maggette for the MLE, can we use the LLE and the trade exemptions together to get, let's say Barnes?

T Park
Doesn't that sort of read like he said yes to the Spurs?

Makes it seem like hes "intrigued"

I wouldn't say signed though.

Das Texan
holy fuck!

this alone would make the offseason a sterling success.

oligarchy
Ah ok.

Grizzlies doesn't seem likely cause they just got Mayo and they are not in a win now mode.

Warriors is a possibility, and the Sixers are supposedly targeting Josh Smith number 1 though.

I think Warriors are waiting on Arenas (I guess Warriors are offering 5-year 100) but Washington is offering 6-year 124. So.. it's possible Arenas could sign with the Warriors, so they may not be targeting Maggette.

T Park
07-01-2008, 09:23 PM
holy fuck!

this alone would make the offseason a sterling success.

If that was intended

nice :smokin

A.H 21-50
would be nice
imagine the lineup , difficult to stop the spurs with four 20 pts per game players

i need to calm down :flag:

T Park
I think Warriors are waiting on Arenas (I guess Warriors are offering 5-year 100) but Washington is offering 6-year 124. So.. it's possible Arenas could sign with the Warriors, so they may not be targeting Maggette.

Well Wershington offered 6 and 106

I think the Warriors are offering balls out all they can.

Dunno how that affects things.

timvp
07-01-2008, 09:24 PM
There are two teams with room more than MLE

One is the Sixers and they are preparing a deal for Josh Smith.

So its down to 1.The Hawks will most likely match whatever the Sixers offer. I think the Sixers are still very much in play. They may want a big but then again, they were starting Willie freakin' Green at shooting guard all season last year.

Jlowd21
no fuckin way! I cant believe this. Ive been following Maggette since his days at duke and there's no doubt in my mind that he is exactly what we need to get back on top.

T Park
Thomas
Duncan
Bowen
Maggette
Parker

Hill
Ginobili
Mahinmi
Udoka
Gist
Hairston
Bonner

Vaughn
IR
IR

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Tony/Hill/Vaughn
Manu/Barnes/Barry
Maggette/Bowen/Gist
Tim/Ian
Thomas/Jav

That'd be a pretty crazy line up.

completely deck
i've already said it but...
OH GOD PLEASE

Big P
Doesn't Ludden work for yahoo? Why didn't he break this story? Either way....hells yes

T Park
The Hawks will most likely match whatever the Sixers offer. I think the Sixers are still very much in play. They may want a big but then again, they were starting Willie freakin' Green at shooting guard a lot last year.

Yeah good point.

This report makes me happy, but its a cautious happy, knowing from the past of dealings with the likes of Tyrone Nesby, D Fish and other FAs, that nothing is set, or done, until its CONFIRMED.

montgod
07-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Thomas
Duncan
Bowen
Maggette
Parker

Hill
Ginobili
Mahinmi
Udoka
Gist
Hairston
Bonner

Vaughn
IR
IR

Forgot Oberto and hopefully Barry.

Mr.Bottomtooth
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/Mr_Bottomtooth/pop.jpg
Well, after a while, me and RC saw who was left in the free agent market
and we decided that we were gonna surprise all you fuckers.

T Park
Tony/Hill/Vaughn
Manu/Barnes/Barry
Maggette/Bowen/Gist
Tim/Ian
Thomas/Jav

Take out Javtokas and Barnes, and then its more realistic.

BTW, your forgetting Oberto.

timvp
At the very least, the report should help those emo Spurs fans untie the noose and realize the Spurs aren't content to just bring back the same team.

T Park
07-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Forgot Oberto and hopefully Barry.

Fuck

thank you.

Yeah with them in there, IF Barry comes back, thats a damn stacked team that is damn damn damn hard to beat.

oligarchy
Thomas
Duncan
Bowen
Maggette
Parker

Hill
Ginobili
Mahinmi
Udoka
Gist
Hairston
Bonner

Vaughn
IR
IR

Now that's a crappy line-up and bench...

exstatic
API - In a surprise reversal, Corey Maggette has renounced his interest in the Spurs, since the number 50 is not available for him to wear.

ShoogarBear
The thing I love about Maggette's game is his ability to get to the free throw line. He gets to the line as much as Parker and Ginobili combined.

Yep, that is key. Maggette will go cold as much as anyone else on the team, but unlike everyone else, he can still get to the line even when his shots aren't falling.

Tim used to be like that. :depressed

Buddy Holly
Take out Javtokas and Barnes, and then its more realistic.

BTW, your forgetting Oberto.

Had to use Oberto and Udoka in a S&T for Barnes.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Starters
1 Parker
2 Maggette
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Thomas

Bench
1 Hill
2 Ginobili
2 Barry or FA
2/3 Udoka
4 Bonner
4/5 Mahinmi
5 Oberto

IR
1 Vaughn
2/3 Hairston
3/4 Gist

T Park

No need to S&T when hes a FA and isn't going back.

GS wouldn't want those guys anyways.

Wouldn't need to give up those guys either.

Buddy Holly
So we'd potentially have four players who can average in the high teens/lower 20's?

timvp
Yep, that is key. Maggette will go cold as much as anyone else on the team, but unlike everyone else, he can still get to the line even when his shots aren't falling.

Tim used to be like that. :depressedYeah, pre-Joey incident, Duncan used to get to the line about as often as Maggette.

Now? About half that :(

T Park
07-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Starters
1 Parker
2 Maggette
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Thomas

Bench
1 Hill
2 Ginobili
2 Barry or FA
2/3 Udoka
4 Bonner
4/5 Mahinmi
5 Oberto

IR
1 Vaughn
2/3 Hairston
3/4 Gist

Raise banner number 5 fuckers :smokin

Mr.Bottomtooth
Starters
1 Parker
2 Maggette
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Thomas

Bench
1 Hill
2 Ginobili
2 Barry or FA
2/3 Udoka
4 Bonner
4/5 Mahinmi
5 Oberto

IR
1 Vaughn
2/3 Hairston
3/4 Gist
Chingao, that's nice.

Buddy Holly
No need to S&T when hes a FA and isn't going back.

GS wouldn't want those guys anyways.

Wouldn't need to give up those guys either.

So do you think he'd sign for the LLE?

Brutalis
07-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Wow looks like a lot of you have already lost your nut.

montgod
Now that's a crappy line-up and bench...

Not to mention, I wouldn't get too hopeful about the second round picks. I hope they stick, but I could realistically see this as the final lineup:

Tony/Hill/Vaughn
Maggette/Ginobli/Barry
Bowen/Udoka/Finley
Tim/Horry/Ian/Bonner
Thomas/Oberto

T Park
So do you think he'd sign for the LLE?

Not really.

Giving the MLE to Maggette would effectively take you out of the running for any other wing IMO.

Biggems
07-01-2008, 09:31 PM
once again I will ask.....if we use the MLE on Maggette....

are we then allowed to combine the LLE with the trade exemptions to sign another top caliber FA, let's say a Matt Barnes?

T Park
Not to mention, I wouldn't get too hopeful about the second round picks. I hope they stick, but I could realistically see this as the final lineup:

Tony/Hill/Vaughn
Maggette/Ginobli/Barry
Bowen/Udoka/Finley
Tim/Horry/Ian/Bonner
Thomas/Oberto

I restate.

Raise banner number 5.

timvp
It's time for Pop to bust out the mariachis. Mariachis are one-for-one when it comes to signing free agent swingmen away from the Clippers.

:smokin

T Park
07-01-2008, 09:32 PM

are we then allowed to combine the LLE with the trade exemptions to sign another top caliber FA, let's say a Matt Barnes?

The trade exceptions can't be combined.

oligarchy
Yeah, pre-Joey incident, Duncan used to get to the line about as often as Maggette.

Now? About half that :(

7.1 in 07, 5.9 in 08.

Maggette... 9.7 last year.. :wow

montgod
I restate.

Raise banner number 5.

No doubt babaaaaa!

I would just hope that Ian and Udoka's defense gets WAY better over the offseason.

T Park
07-01-2008, 09:33 PM
It's time for Pop to bust out the mariachis. Mariachis are one-for-one when it comes to signing free agent swingmen away from the Clippers.

:lmao

I can just see the press conference.

"I was considering SA, and was gonna fly to Orlando and Oakland, but when Pop was there with Duncan and the mariachis, I knew SA was my new home"

El Jefe
The perfect small ball 4 as well when needed.

Didn't even think about that. You might have sold me right there.

Biggems
The trade exceptions can't be combined.

can the trade exceptions be combined with each other at all? i mean that would suck if they cant, cause we have 3 of them, but we might not have room for 3 players.

ShoogarBear
I restate.

Raise banner number 5.

A LOT will still depend on what Ian contributes.

AFBlue
Woooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John_C
Fuck this! Maggette must now opt to play for Spurs. This will be a win win situation for both camp.

jack sommerset
Not to be a downer but with very few FA, this maybe a ploy to get more money from another team.

GopherSA
Well, well, well.

This would certainly do much to shore up the chances of continuing the "Spurs only win the title in odd numbered years" thing, wouldn't it?

T Park
7.1 in 07, 5.9 in 08.

Maggette... 9.7 last year.. :wow

Yeah and on top of that, hes a damn good free throw shooter as well.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Re-sign Thomas and use the LLE on the last big and we got our championship team. :smokin

WildcardManu
best news i've heard today after being banned from world of warcraft

Sigz
What # would he wear?

T Park
Well, well, well.

This would certainly do much to shore up the chances of continuing the "Spurs only win the title in odd numbered years" thing, wouldn't it?

It would give some great odds at it yeah :lol

T Park
What # would he wear?

If it helped, I'd beg David to hand him a 50.

WildcardManu
07-01-2008, 09:35 PM
If it helped, I'd beg David to hand him a 50.

I'd vote same... David might have to put up the #

oligarchy
can the trade exceptions be combined with each other at all? i mean that would suck if they cant, cause we have 3 of them, but we might not have room for 3 players.

Nope. No exceptions can be combined.

T Park
Re-sign Thomas and use the LLE on the last big and we got our championship team. :smokin

Resign Thomas, Barry, FA big,

call it an offseason in the middle of July.

Sounds fucking great to me :lol

ShoogarBear

Just don't use words like bust.

Mr.Bottomtooth
What # would he wear?

My guess is 25. No wait, 33.

T Park
I'd vote same... David might have to put up the #

I wouldn't obviously outright give it to him but, if David standing at the airport with the 50 helped, fuck it, stitch it up :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Tony/Hill/Vaughn
Manu/Barnes/Barry
Maggette/Bowen/Gist
Tim/Ian
Thomas/Jav

Especially seeings it won't happen. Bowen would start, Maggette at the 3, Manu off the bench, and that's not even getting into Barnes won't be here for the LLE or the low odds of Javtokas here.

ShoogarBear
Not to be a downer but with very few FA, this maybe a ploy to get more money from another team.

Give us at least an hour of fun before we have to consider that.

T Park
My guess is 25. No wait, 33.

Yeah I think he had 33 when he was in Orlando.

I don't care. Whatever number he wanted :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
Resign Thomas, Barry, FA big,

call it an offseason in the middle of July.

Sounds fucking great to me :lol

Hell yes. :toast

Biggems
Remember how our plane wouldnt fly after the NO series......

Let's make sure that when Maggette's flight lands....that whatever flight he has to get on, becomes severely delayed. Take him to Ruth Criss, PF Chang's, Chris Madrid's, Rudy's, Landry's in the Tower, Piedras Negras de Noche, and the Dominion

bigdog
07-01-2008, 09:37 PM

only 2 other teams can offer more money, and one of them is unlikely to do so, given their status(Grizzlies). Besides, I doubt he'd want to go to a horrible team like MEM.

the other is Philly, who is targeting Josh Smith, but I don't know that he would work well with Iguodala, since they are kind of the same type of player.

ShoogarBear
Would feel better if this was a Ludden article, but oh well.

timvp
Just don't use words like bust.Good point. Hopefully the Express-News keeps Spurs fans abreast of the situation.

Aggie Hoopsfan

How do you S&T two guys GS has expressed no interest in for a guy GS doesn't want?

Udoka doesn't fit Nellieball, neither does Oberto (too slow).

T Park

Let's make sure that when Maggette's flight lands....that whatever flight he has to get on, becomes severely delayed. Take him to Ruth Criss, PF Chang's, Chris Madrid's, Rudy's, Landry's in the Tower, Piedras Negras de Noche, and the Dominion

Then for a beer at Buffalo Wild Wings.

Its open till 3 :lol

John_C
07-01-2008, 09:38 PM

Man, I hope not. I hope Maggette looks at it in a way that he may play for a Championship contender.

misterx91578
07-01-2008, 09:38 PM
please let get it done

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2008, 09:39 PM

Forget the trade exceptions. Barnes will get an offer for more than the LLE.

T Park
07-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Funny that Wojnarowski would break this and not Ludden.

It being from yahoo and all.

exstatic
07-01-2008, 09:40 PM
OK, I like Maggette, but let me throw just a bit of cold water here. He's a whole 2 years younger than Manu, and 6 older than JR Smith. He's not really the healthy type, and both Doc and Dunleavy hated him as much as Byron and George hated Mr. Smith. This isn't an angel, and he ain't particularly young, although by Spurs standards, he could be considered so. He plays on average 65 games a year.

I like the rebounding and the FTs.

TheMadHatter
If I were a betting man I'd say he's going back to ORL for the MLE. Starting role, great location, no income tax.

T Park
OK, I like Maggette, but let me throw just a bit of cold water here. He's a whole 2 years younger than Manu, and 6 older than JR Smith. He's not really the healthy type, and both Doc and Dunleavy hated him as much as Byron and George hated Mr. Smith. This isn't an angel, and he ain't particularly young, although by Spurs standards, he could be considered so. He plays on average 65 games a year.

I like the rebounding and the FTs.

I'd still beg him to come.

Like TIMVP said, hes the BEST swingman available.

Kori Ellis
I wouldn't obviously outright give it to him but, if David standing at the airport with the 50 helped, fuck it, stitch it up :lol

I'm not so sure I'd want a guy here if his deciding factor was having his choice in jersey number. :lol

Anyway, my opinion of Maggette is the same now as last time they went after him ... he's a balla ... can score, rebound and get to the line. His ability to get to the line and rebound are huge reasons the Spurs should want him. He's a big time china doll too though - you can count on him to miss about 15 games a year. But for the MLE, you can't pass him up.

The Truth #6
Though the Sixers and GS (and Memphis) could offer more money, are we reducing the field of competition? I mean, there are other teams like us that only have the MLE to offer, so in that sense, other teams can try to sell him on their city and team for pretty much the same money, right?

For some reason, I imagine that Houston or Dallas and possibly Phoenix will find a way to butt their noses into this deal to try and jinx us, even if it is only talking through the media.

Luckily, Maggette knows we've been trying to get him for a long time. And, Pop somehow finds the charm to woo free agents. He's done it time and time again, however, not usually top free agents.

My question is the timing of when we would make an offer. I wonder if everyone is waiting for the other team to make a move.

My first thought is to move quick so it gives less time for teams like Phili to see if their offer to Josh Smith is matched or not. Waiting would seem to hurt our chances, but I'm curious to hear what other people think.

Ocotillo
07-01-2008, 09:41 PM

What you want the guy coming to camp looking like Shaq?

T Park
07-01-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm not so sure I'd want a guy here if his deciding factor was having his choice in jersey number. :lol

Anyway, my opinion of Maggette is the same now as last time they went after him ... he's a balla ... can score, rebound and get to the line. His ability to get to the line and rebound are huge reasons the Spurs should want him. He's a big time china doll too though - you can count on him to miss about 15 games a year. But for the MLE, you can't pass him up.

I know, but were desperate here come on :lol

TheMadHatter
07-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Man, I hope not. I hope Maggette looks at it in a way that he may play for a Championship contender.

:lmao the guy has rotted his entire career away on the Clippers. Do you really think he cares about getting a ring? The man wants a payday.

timvp
07-01-2008, 09:43 PM
After taking a step back and looking at the NBA landscape, I still can't fully buy this. Maggette is far and away the best unrestricted free agent on the market. To make that point, consider that Kurt Thomas is very likely the second best unrestricted free agent on the market :lol

With that said, the Warriors, Sixers or maybe even Grizzlies will have what it takes to outbid the Spurs. If those teams want to make a splash, Maggette is easily the most attainable free agent on this market. They can try to get a Josh Smith or a Ben Gordon ... but when all is said and done, Maggette will almost certainly be their best option.

If I'm Maggette's agent, I tell him to hold off signing anything until the teams with cap room figure out what they are going to do. The MLE is the minimum that Maggette is going to make. Waiting around for the big spenders to swing and miss when trying to get restricted free agents would be the way to get the most money.

The only way Maggette would sign now (July 9th) would be if he just wants to be on the Spurs and help the Spurs get back to championship basketball. That'd be awesome ... but it'd be so against common free agent sense that it's almost unbelievable.

The bottomline is Maggette has to still be considered very much of a longshot ... however, there is hope now.

ECZ
07-01-2008, 09:43 PM
im not getting my hopes up just yet....

robbie380
07-01-2008, 09:44 PM
wow that would be an amazing coup for you guys. i would have to imagine that some one of the other few teams under the cap would overspend for him but if not...:toast

meh nevermind fuck you guys. i hate yall. :lol

bigdog
07-01-2008, 09:45 PM
After taking a step back and looking at the NBA landscape, I still can't fully buy this. Maggette is far and away the best unrestricted free agent on the market. To make that point, consider that Kurt Thomas is very likely the second best unrestricted free agent on the market :lol

With that said, the Warriors, Sixers or maybe even Grizzlies will have what it takes to outbid the Spurs. If those teams want to make a splash, Maggette is easily the most attainable free agent on this market. They can try to get a Josh Smith or a Ben Gordon ... but when all is said and done, Maggette will almost certainly be their best option.

If I'm Maggette's agent, I tell him to hold off signing anything until the teams with cap room figure out what they are going to do. The MLE is the minimum that Maggette is going to make. Waiting around for the big spenders to swing and miss when trying to get restricted free agents would be the way to get the most money.

The only way Maggette would sign now (July 9th) would be if he just wants to be on the Spurs and help the Spurs get back to championship basketball. That'd be awesome ... but it'd be so against common free agent sense that it's almost unbelievable.

The bottomline is Maggette has to still be considered very much of a longshot ... however, there is hope now.

Remember, the Grizzlies ownership is trying to reduce payroll, so I don't see them signing Maggs.

Bartleby
07-01-2008, 09:45 PM
If I were a betting man I'd say he's going back to ORL for the MLE. Starting role, great location, no income tax.

Can't blame you for hoping the Spurs don't sign him, but the fact is he would probably start for the Spurs, pay no state income tax, and be on a team that (unlike Orlando) is a legitimate contender every year.

Biggems
07-01-2008, 09:46 PM
as far as his health...........he will play less minutes per game for the Spurs than he did for the Clippers. this will help him stay healthy throughout the season.

El Jefe
He's a big time china doll too though - you can count on him to miss about 15 games a year.

This looks to be spot on. Played 70 and 75 games the last two seasons, but in 05-06 was only good for 32 games.

But you're right, for the price it's a great option. If you get 70 games out of him, it's a success. And it makes it easier to rest Manu a game here and there, or even for 10 games in one stretch if he needs it.

montgod

I agree, but I am hoping for two things:

1. He has grown up and realizes he is about to be 29 and has nothing to show for his career in terms of a title.

2. He is a little pissed about being renounced and seeing that it's a possibility that his old team, the Clippers could be successful without him. To get back at them, he makes a Western conference team that much better to try and get to the Finals.

Cant_Be_Faded
Fuck it, I'm not down with it. We need a young athletic player who will D it up and rebound. The garbage points are numerous in this offense for anyone to pick up on it. We don't need a "china doll" seeing how injuries broke our best chance to repeat only a month ago.

montgod
07-01-2008, 09:47 PM
as far as his health...........he will play less minutes per game for the Spurs than he did for the Clippers. this will help him stay healthy throughout the season.

And at the same time, keep Ginobli fresh as well.

jack sommerset

I get that but you have to look at it from a players point of view. Get what you can now because after that you have to think of the next 30 years of making money. SA is not a big market. Not alot of jobs as a local hero being the 4th best player on a team that won championships before his arrival. Great catch for Spurs but will it pay off for him and his future.

angelbelow
incredible to both signing maggette and how fast the thread grew.

timvp
07-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Anyway, my opinion of Maggette is the same now as last time they went after him ... he's a balla ... can score, rebound and get to the line. His ability to get to the line and rebound are huge reasons the Spurs should want him. He's a big time china doll too though - you can count on him to miss about 15 games a year. But for the MLE, you can't pass him up.Agreed. If Maggette signs, hopefully Maggette and Ginobili figure out a way to not end up missing the same 15 games each year. Some teamwork would be appreciated.

:hat

timvp
07-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Fuck it, I'm not down with it. We need a young athletic player who will D it up and rebound. The garbage points are numerous in this offense for anyone to pick up on it. We don't need a "china doll" seeing how injuries broke our best chance to repeat only a month ago.The Spurs had to rely too much on garbage points last year. They didn't have enough skill points.

AFBlue
Spurs need an athletic wing player that can do more than just shoot (i.e. score and get to the line)....I don't see how you do any better than Corey Maggette, especially for the MLE.

Maggette comes with almost none of the risk that JR Smith does and has nearly the upside. If the Spurs didn't have to give up anything to get him, they'd be stupid not to.

El Jefe
Agreed. If Maggette signs, hopefully Maggette and Ginobili figure out a way to not end up missing the same 15 games each year. Some teamwork would be appreciated.

:hat

:rollin
Maybe the should draw straws to see who gets to sit out first?

SportsRadioLos
07-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Don't worry about the Sixers in this deal. They're getting involved with Josh Smith at around 12 mil per year. And with Hawks ownership being what it is, they'll let him split. Not like any other team in the NBA has to go to court to sign a player for longer than 4 years...

Throw Memphis out the window. They're for sale and are not taking on anymore payroll unless it's little Gasol.

To me this comes down to Orlando, Boston, and SA.

Darkwaters
Would feel better if this was a Ludden article, but oh well.

Count your blessings. At least it's not Hoopsworld.

bavarianworks
Parker/HIll
Ginobili
Maggette/Bowen
Duncan
Ian/Thomas

That SHOULD be the starting 5.

exstatic
incredible to both signing maggette and how fast the thread grew.

Uh, nobody signed nuthin', yet.

Ocotillo
this thread is on fire.

I am not going to get too excited just yet. It's early and a lot of things can happen.

BTW, J.R. who?

SScarrJ
Well it sounds as if the money is gonna be around the MLE no matter what he does at this point. I really don't see any teams like Philly or Memphis breaking the bank for him since both teams already have an athletic wing who attacks the basket (Gay & Iggy). But then again I didn't really see a team spending 100+ mil on R. Lewis last summer.

Gino2882
07-01-2008, 09:52 PM
This really, honestly, would be ideal for the Spurs. A super athletic swingman who absolutely takes it to the rack relentlessly. He would be tremendous.

AC#21_TD ERA
07-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Big move for the franchise. He's exactly what we need. But there's still a long way to go. I wouldn't put my money on it just yet. GET ME A MAGETTE JERSEY IF HE SIGNS.

oligarchy
07-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Parker/HIll
Ginobili
Maggette/Bowen
Duncan
Ian/Thomas

Bowen would start at SG and Maggette would start at SF. Manu would still come off the bench.

timvp
07-01-2008, 09:53 PM
I'd definitely keep the numbers of JR Smith and Josh Childress on speed dial. If Maggette falls through, those two seem like they should be the next in line. The next tier after that is probably Pietrus and Azubuike.

TheMadHatter
07-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Do you guys really see Magette signing a long term deal for the MLE though? It's incredible because he's a legit 20/5 player in this league. Freaking Luke Walton makes the MLE.

I have a hard time believing no team will offer him no more than the MLE. Someone will bite.

picnroll
07-01-2008, 09:55 PM
WOW!!!! Beyond hopes and dreams.

Manufan909
07-01-2008, 09:56 PM
So when does FA signing end, again?

oligarchy
07-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Do you guys really see Magette signing a long term deal for the MLE though? It's incredible because he's a legit 20/5 player in this league. Freaking Luke Walton makes the MLE.

I have a hard time believing no team will offer him no more than the MLE. Someone will bite.

No.. he'd probably sign a 2-year deal (maybe three) with player option(s). I believe he would look to find a good payday from a decent team next year or the year after; especially the year after.

timvp

I have a hard time believing no team will offer him no more than the MLE. Someone will bite.Agreed. But we'll see. Maybe the Sixers and Warriors will go in different directions.

So when does FA signing end, again?It starts July 9th.

Marcus Bryant

Well, there are only 3 someones who can in the league. After that, it's the MLE.

El Jefe
07-01-2008, 09:58 PM
The Spurs had to rely too much on garbage points last year. They didn't have enough skill points.

Looks like most of his shots last year came off of jumpers and isolation. Almost an even split between medium range jumpers and 3's. Very little of those jumpers were the end result of a double in the post (Makes sense, with Brand out the Clippers did not have much of a post presence)

What throws me is that very little of his production came from him posting up. I had an image in my head of him consistently posting up smaller wing players, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Hope he can adjust to playing in a defined offensive set as opposed to whatever the Clips run.

Slinkyman

Maggette will make the money up with endorsement deals with Time Warner and Taco Cabana.

angelbelow
Uh, nobody signed nuthin', yet.

point taken, spoke too early.

BOHOLANO#21
07-01-2008, 10:02 PM
dang, i'm hoping corey M will take a pay cut to play for the SPURS. at least we know now that RC is doing something to upgrade the team.

angelbelow
07-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Agreed. But we'll see. Maybe the Sixers and Warriors will go in different directions.

It starts July 9th.

the good news is that sixers have 2 and 3 positions filled (AI and T Young) and weak at PF. the warriors are also pretty filled at the 2 and 3 (ellis sjax, and will probably resign one of their 3 FA wings.)

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 10:03 PM
the good news is that sixers have 2 and 3 positions filled (AI and T Young) and weak at PF. the warriors are also pretty filled at the 2 and 3 (ellis sjax, and will probably resign one of their 3 FA wings.)

Exactly.

BOHOLANO#21
07-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Maggette will make the money up with endorsement deals with Time Warner and Taco Cabana.
he will be the lone endorser for HEB after he signs with the SPURS. he will eat the cake by himself, pull them carrots and eat it etc..

K-State Spur
07-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I'd feel better if it was Ludden instead of Wojnarowski, that guy's an idiot.

Slinkyman
Imagine a world where Maggette and Beno make the same amount of money...

completely deck
Do you guys really see Bynum signing a long term deal for the demanded max contract though? It's incredible because he's an injured player in this league. Freaking Kobe Bryant makes the max contract payout.

I have a hard time believing a team will offer him no more than the MLE.

George Gervin's Afro
07-01-2008, 10:09 PM
I think most of us need to take a step back and realize this happening is still a long shot.

jag
07-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Parker/HIll
Maggette/Ginobili
Bowen/Udoka
Duncan
Thomas/Ian

Fixed

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 10:10 PM
I think most of us need to take a step back and realize this happening is still a long shot.

Fuck that.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Fuck that.

:rollin

2centsworth
07-01-2008, 10:11 PM
It's not necessarily a pay cut to take less money with the spurs. Money in San Antonio goes a whole lot further than it does in LA or Philly. For example, Bruce bought a monster house here that would have cost him 3 to 5 times as much somewhere else. $5 mil in SA is like $10 mil in LA. Plus, no state income tax.

El_Mago
07-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Parker, Hill, Vaughn
Maggette, Ginobili, Hairston
Bowen, Udoka, Gist
Duncan, Horry, Bonner
Oberto,Thomas, Mahinmi

FUCK YEAH!

A good mixture of strength, athleticism, experience, and talent!

Let's do it!

AA2120
07-01-2008, 10:12 PM
holy shit ballz!!

this would be fuckin awsome!

El Jefe
07-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Fuck that.

Frankly I'm just happy there's NBA news to be had. I was getting stir crazy after the draft. I'll jump on the Sign Maggette bandwagon on that basis alone.

Biggems
Parker, Hill, Barry
Maggette, Ginobili, Hairston
Bowen, Udoka, Gist
Duncan, Horry, Bonner
Oberto,Thomas, Mahinmi

FUCK YEAH!

A good mixture of strength, athleticism, experience, and talent!

Let's do it!

There I fixed it for you

z0sa
It's not necessarily a pay cut to take less money with the spurs. Money in San Antonio goes a whole lot further than it does in LA or Philly. For example, Bruce bought a monster house here that would have cost him 3 to 5 times as much somewhere else. $5 mil in SA is like $10 mil in LA. Plus, no state income tax.

Exactly what I was thinking. A million less might actually go twice as far here.

Manufan909
07-01-2008, 10:14 PM

Dare to dream, son!!!

angelbelow
07-01-2008, 10:14 PM

wow, i didnt know, he has to come now!:toast

Russ
07-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Maggette = Title.:flag:

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Once the sign and trade possibility vanished for Maggette, the Spurs became a legit suitor. Maggette will have all the minutes he could want in SA's swingman rotation. Bowen and Ginobili will max out around 55 to 60 minutes a night combined, and that's likely to be a bit lower during the early part of the season with Ginobili coming off his little trip to Beijing.

A 3 year deal for the MLE with a player option after the 2nd year would make sense. Maggette could then opt out in the glorious summer of 2010 with 15+ (or whatever) teams with large amounts of cap room chasing max free agents. Look at this summer, you have like 3 at most. It sucks to be a free agent this summer, especially if your team renounces you to sign someone else and blocks you from sign and trade possibilities.

The Truth #6
07-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Just jumping ahead -if we somehow sign Maggette for the MLE, and with Barry opting out, and with us needing to sign KT, doesn't it seem like Barry might not be back?

I'd try a sign and trade with Barry for Matt Barnes if that was somehow possible and within budget, though being within budget and possible probably cancel each other out.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Hopefully we can still get Barry if we get Maggette. There's gonna be times when Hill isn't getting it done and then we're gonna be wishing for Barry back.

Sway
07-01-2008, 10:19 PM
WOW! Now thats what I am talking about! Who would have ever thought Maggette was even an option?!?

clubalien
07-01-2008, 10:20 PM
hellz Yes!

:lobt2:

tlongII
07-01-2008, 10:21 PM
I hope this happens. I would actually give the Spurs' FO props if it does. It would actually keep the Spurs window of opportunity open a little longer. The West is going to be absolutely SICK next year!

completely deck
07-01-2008, 10:21 PM