PDA

View Full Version : Luis Scola & Jackie Butler GONE?!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

chachi
07-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Don't know if this has been said yet, but just read on MySA.com they have been traded to the Houston Rockets.

Solid D
07-12-2007, 07:27 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071207.WEBspurstrade.en.6be36230.html

Spurs trade Butler, Scola for Spanoulis

Greek guard acquired, but likely to stay in Europe

Web Posted: 07/12/2007 07:04 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News staff writer

The Spurs have agreed to trade center Jackie Butler and Argentine forward Luis Scola to the Houston Rockets for guard Vassilis Spanoulis, a future second-round pick and cash considerations, an NBA source said Thursday evening.

advertisement

Spanoulis, who played sparingly for the Rockets last season, is expected to remain in Europe.

The Spurs don’t figure to spend much time on introductions when they open training camp in a little more than two months.

Hoping to keep intact the roster that won them last season’s championship, the Spurs re-signed guard Jacque Vaughn and forward Matt Bonner on Thursday. After center Fabricio Oberto also re-signs in the coming days, all 12 members of the team’s playoff roster will be under contract.

Bonner received a three-year contract worth about $9 million while Vaughn received a two-year deal totaling around $2.5 million.

Bonner, 27, averaged 4.9 points and 2.8 rebounds in 56 games after joining the Spurs a year ago in a trade that sent center Rasho Nesterovic to Toronto. His role could increase this season if the Spurs decide to continue cutting back Robert Horry’s minutes.

Bonner, who stands 6-foot-10, is the type of big forward with 3-point range team executives now crave during the league’s small-ball era. He quickly won over coaches and teammates – not to mention the Spurs’ fans – with his hustle and every-man personality, and appeared to carve out a spot for himself in the rotation before injuring his left knee midway through the season.

Vaughn, 32, replaced Beno Udrih as the team’s primary backup point guard because coach Gregg Popovich valued his hustle and toughness. He averaged 3.0 points and 2.0 assists in 64 games.

The Spurs also had interest in signing Detroit forward Amir Johnson, but he re-signed with the Pistons on Thursday.

[email protected]

FromWayDowntown
That's an interesting move.

Kori Ellis
They traded them for another guy who is going to stay in Europe. :lmao

timvp
07-12-2007, 07:28 PM
WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFf

Solid D
Props to chachi. Wow, just like that.

FromWayDowntown
Lindsey's taking over.

timvp
SPANOULIS ISN"T EVEN GOING TO COME TO AMERICA HE GAVE UP AND IS STAYING IN GREECE FOREVER WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFf

Leetonidas
:wow

Switchman
wtf.

If the Spurs didn't win so many championships, I would seriously question their moves haha.

FromWayDowntown
07-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Well, we now know that there's a roster spot available.

Kori Ellis
At least they got a roster spot open :drunk

samikeyp
:bang :bang :bang

kolko
wow

timvp
07-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Spanoulis says he won't return to Rockets

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

After one largely disappointing season with the Rockets, guard Vassilis Spanoulis said there will not be another.

Spanoulis said Wednesday that he and his agent have told the Rockets many times he will not leave Greece for a second season in the NBA, or to play for another team in Europe.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said on Tuesday that the Rockets still want Spanoulis back for next season and have no plans of releasing him from his three-year contract. Spanoulis cannot sign with any FIBA team, which includes the teams in the Greek league, unless released by the Rockets. Morey had no further comment on Wednesday.

"It's something very personal," Spanoulis said. "It's family problems.

"I'm not disappointed. In life, you never know how things are coming. Some things you expect when you sign a contract, you go there, something happens, and your decision has to change. When we are so far away from home, the culture and life and all these things are different. It's very difficult to know what will happen.

"I want to stay in my country. My hope is to play for one team in my country."

Spanoulis played in 31 games last season, averaging 2.7 points and .9 assists in 8.8 minutes per game. He made 31.9 percent of his shot, 17.2 percent of his 3-pointers.

Spanoulis' agent, Miodrag Raznatovic, said he and Spanoulis have told the Rockets 10 times since the end of the season that Spanoulis will never return to play for the Rockets and that nothing would change his mind.

"He told them 10 times 'I am not coming back,' " Raznatovic said. "In the beginning it was between him and Jeff Van Gundy. Now it is not. He didn't adjust to the American way of living. 'I cannot survive. I must stay at my home.' I do not understand how they cannot understand. It's something serious.

"I've been trying for one month and a half to make them understand. This is crazy. Believe me, he sold everything, his car, his apartment. He is not coming back. I don't understand how they don't understand. He said, 'I cannot live there. I thought I can. I was very happy when I signed the contract. After eight months, 10 months, I don't want a single second more.'

"It's not about money. It's not about playing time. It's not about anything else. They could trade him to San Antonio and he could be the starting point guard, and he would he would say, 'No, I cannot.' "

Raznatovic said Spanoulis, who earned $1.8 million as a rookie last season, would repay the $350,000 buyout the Rockets paid Panathinaikos last season out of his next contract.

He said Spanoulis has told him he would not play for any team outside Greece again.

"They could try Miami, New York, L.A., it would not matter," Raznatovic said. "Maybe he goes to Spain and (would) feel different, but we'll never know. He said, 'No, no, no. I cannot leave Greece.'

"He is looking for an escape. He calls me every day. His mother calls me crying, saying, 'Get my son back.' This is serious. If they want to send a message to all international players that if (they) come and cannot adjust, they cannot go back, that they have to stay there like a slave, that won't work. If he comes back, what can he do? Can he be a good player? Of course not. It could be a disaster."

The Rockets have repeatedly called to try to convince Spanoulis to return, with Morey, Rick Adelman and Yao Ming each calling. But Spanoulis said his decision is not about basketball.

"It was very hard," Spanoulis said. "This life was very different. I expected it to be a lot different. I am very close with my family. I prefer to be with my family than to play in the United States. It is very difficult for me to make that step, to be away from them and live there.

"From the basketball side, I had a very tough season with Jeff. That year was 5, 10 percent what I had in my mind. Now this is past. I respect all the people there. I respect the new coach, Rick Adelman. I respect him as a person and as a coach, and the new GM and the people of Houston. But to me, I cannot come back."

[email protected]

:madrun :madrun :madrun :madrun:madrun :madrun:madrun :madrun:madrun :madrun

Leetonidas
If only they had included Beno...

picnroll
Looks like Mahinmi will stick.

Spurs Brazil
TERRIBLE trade

barbacoataco
07-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Seems to me like we kind of gave away two talented, young, Big players for not that much. Butler I kind of understand, but Scola has to be worth more?

samikeyp
Maybe this is a pre-cursor to another move?

[hoping beyond all hope/]

timvp
To The Freaking Rockets At Least Trade Them To The East This Is Going To Be The Worst Trade In Spurs History Omg Shoot Me Now

chachi
Thanks solid D for the props

FromWayDowntown
07-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Wait a tick -- if Spanoulis is under contract, though, there won't be a roster spot available, even if he's in Europe, right?

So this move didn't even open a roster spot immediately.

Spurs Brazil
07-12-2007, 07:32 PM
I think Ian is a lock now

timvp
07-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Wait a tick -- if Spannoulis is under contract, though, there won't be a roster spot available, even if he's in Europe, right?

So this move didn't even open a roster spot immediately.

Spanoulis wants out of his contract. He'll gladly walk away from it Derek Fisher style.

leemajors
To The Freaking Rockets At Least Trade Them To The East This Is Going To Be The Worst Trade In Spurs History Omg Shoot Me Now
yeah i can't believe they traded these guys in the division.

Spurs Brazil
July 12, 2007, 7:28PM
Rockets close to dealing Spanoulis to Spurs

By JONATHAN FEIGEN

The Rockets were close to an agreement on Thursday to land Tau Ceramica star Luis Scola, one of the pillars of Argentina’s Olympic champion team and reserve Jackie Butler from the Spurs for guard Vassilis Spanoulis, a second round pick and cash considerations, a NBA executive with knowledge of the deal said.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey could not be reached for comment.

Team have sought Scola for years, but found it increasingly difficult to lure him from Europe as he became a more established star with one of the traditional European powers. He had starred for Argentina along with Manu Ginobili, Fabricio Oberto and Walter Hermann.

Spanoulis played 31 games for the Rockets last season, but said he would not return to the United States to play for any team.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4964549.html

Leetonidas
07-12-2007, 07:34 PM
I think this means the Spurs are bringing in Ian...

And FWD, I hope to God you're wrong about that one.

samikeyp
07-12-2007, 07:34 PM
That cheer from the east you just heard was Rocket fan.

:depressed

timvp
07-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Dennis Lindsey is now the anti-christ.

This is the worst trade in Spurs history. Scola and Butler for a second round pick and cash.

I am outraged.

mystargtr34
wow. So Scola is a better prospect than Spanoulis. Yet they ALSO give Butler.

picnroll
If Spurs were going after Amir they may be willing to spend on someone else. Wish they'd gotten Johnson. :crap

Russ
07-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Addition by subtraction?

timvp
Scola and Butler for a second round pick?!?!?!!?!!!!?!!?!?!?!?!!

Leetonidas
I wonder if Spanoulis and the Spurs have talked about this. I'm sure they probably called...I mean, it's completely asinine to trade for a player who said he does not want to be play in the NBA, let alone for a eurostar and a decent big man.

samikeyp
Dennis Lindsey is now the anti-christ.

This is the worst trade in Spurs history. Scola and Butler for a second round pick and cash.

I am outraged.

Hey that's right....he came from the....

Rockets! :spless:

I knew it....he's a friggen spy!!! :madrun

Kori Ellis
07-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Welcome to the forum, Chachi.

timvp
"It's not about money. It's not about playing time. It's not about anything else. They could trade him to San Antonio and he could be the starting point guard, and he would he would say, 'No, I cannot.' "

Raznatovic said Spanoulis, who earned $1.8 million as a rookie last season, would repay the $350,000 buyout the Rockets paid Panathinaikos last season out of his next contract.

Spurs Brazil
Presti gone and the Spurs do a dumb trade like that

FromWayDowntown
If Spanoulis wants out and will accept a Fisher-like release without payment, the Spurs have saved some money and will open a roster spot.

If Spanoulis wants out but demands a buyout of his remaining years, the Spurs have cost themselves some cap room and maintained costs against the tax threshold while opening a roster spot and bumping closer to the tax threshold (in theory).

If the Spurs intend to release Spanoulis, they've accomplished basically the same thing.

If the Spurs are truly interested in Spanoulis and he's not coming back to the USA, they've dealt two assets for a guy who will essentially only count against the cap while eating a roster spot until released.

Trying to be optimistic -- maybe they have a deal to send out Spanoulis's rights and something else for a more logical fit. I doubt that, though.

chachi
07-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Spurs giving their players away for nothing as usual!!!!!!!

samikeyp
07-12-2007, 07:39 PM
If Spanoulis wants out and will accept a Fisher-like release without payment, the Spurs have saved some money and will open a roster spot.

If Spanoulis wants out but demands a buyout of his remaining years, the Spurs have cost themselves some cap room and maintained costs against the tax threshold while opening a roster spot and bumping closer to the tax threshold (in theory).

If the Spurs intend to release Spanoulis, they've accomplished basically the same thing.

If the Spurs are truly interested in Spanoulis and he's not coming back to the USA, they've dealt two assets for a guy who will essentially only count against the cap while eating a roster spot until released.

Trying to be optimistic -- maybe they have a deal to send out Spanoulis's rights and something else for a more logical fit. I doubt that, though.

Im curious...was this a Pop/RC move or a Holt saving money move?

chachi
07-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks Great to be here Kori

timvp
07-12-2007, 07:40 PM

That's what it is, I guarantee you. He just wants out of his contract. He wants to stay in Greece forever. Once the Spurs let him out of his contract, they lose the rights to him.

Spanoulis was just used in place of a trade exception.

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 07:41 PM
im feeling queezy

Aggie Hoopsfan
Fuck the Spurs front office. Cheap mother fuckers

timvp
Im curious...was this a Pop/RC move or a Holt saving money move?

This moves saves about $4M plus whatever the money the Rockets gave them (up to $3M).

It was 100% a Holt move.

:madrun

Winery
WoW. That was dumb. Hopefully I'm just sleeping

samikeyp

What exactly is a trade exception?

I keep hearing that phrase and was wondering.

Thanks.

Solid D
I have decided after reading this to take an objective viewpoint and simply say...

Here is what the Spurs have done in layman's terms: The Spurs Front Office couldn't sell their Nolan Ryan Rookie card in mint condition for the price they wanted and they had a slightly used Lazy Boy that took up too much room in the den so they took them down to the Goodwill station on Bandera Road and just dropped them off and asked for a receipt.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 07:42 PM
I wonder if Spanoulis and the Spurs have talked about this. I'm sure they probably called...I mean, it's completely asinine to trade for a player who said he does not want to be play in the NBA, let alone for a eurostar and a decent big man.

You don't get it. This gets them under the salary cap and keeps an extra 6 million in Holt Cat's pocket.

Mission accomplished.

Winery
07-12-2007, 07:43 PM
ahhhh penny for the lot reciept. Ok, that makes sense now.

FromWayDowntown
07-12-2007, 07:44 PM
That's what it is, I guarantee you. He just wants out of his contract. He wants to stay in Greece forever. Once the Spurs let him out of his contract, they lose the rights to him.

If you're right, then the move makes much more sense to me. As I understand things, the clock is ticking on Scola's NBA availability and it seems obvious that the Spurs aren't willing to meet whatever demands Scola has for leaving Tau. If all of the foregoing is true, then the chances are pretty good that Scola won't be in the US for at least another year or two and the Spurs have now been able to get at least something useful -- some breathing room and a bit of roster flexibility -- for his rights.

duncan228
07-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Geez. I step away from the computer for 10 minutes and the sky falls. Damn.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 07:45 PM
The suck ass thing though is that the Spurs don't even get a trade exception out of it that they could use next year. Horrible ass piece of shit trade.

I wonder if Marcus still thinks the world of that piece of shit Lindsey.

timvp
07-12-2007, 07:46 PM
If you're right, then the move makes much more sense to me. As I understand things, the clock is ticking on Scola's NBA availability and it seems obvious that the Spurs aren't willing to meet whatever demands Scola has for leaving Tau. If all of the foregoing is true, then the chances are pretty good that Scola won't be in the US for at least another year or two and the Spurs have now been able to get at least something useful -- some breathing room and a bit of roster flexibility -- for his rights.

The problem is that Butler's trade value was higher than a second round pick. Scola's trade value should have been a lot higher than a second round pick. Yet the Spurs packaged them together for a second round pick. And the Spurs are still stuck with Beno, who is the worst contract on the team.

I see nothing good about this trade. The Spurs basically salary dumped a guy on a one year contract for less than half the MLE.

Worst trade in franchise history.

Russ
07-12-2007, 07:46 PM
By JONATHAN FEIGEN

Spanoulis' agent, Miodrag Raznatovic, said he and Spanoulis have told the Rockets 10 times since the end of the season that Spanoulis will never return to play for the Rockets and that nothing would change his mind.

Hmmmmmmm . . .

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Pop.
R.C.
Linsey
Holt

All cheap fucks, all sellouts.

This is the shittiest trade in Spurs history. Fuck 'em all.

timvp
07-12-2007, 07:47 PM
I have decided after reading this to take an objective viewpoint and simply say...

Here is what the Spurs have done in layman's terms: The Spurs Front Office couldn't sell their Nolan Ryan Rookie card in mint condition for the price they wanted and they had a slightly used Lazy Boy that took up too much room in the den so they took them down to the Goodwill station on Bandera Road and just dropped them off and asked for a receipt.

EXACTLY.

The Spurs got like a peso on the dollar in this trade. Scola is freakin' good and Butler has potential.

Worst trade in Spurs history.

jcrod
07-12-2007, 07:48 PM
fuck no

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 07:48 PM
If I could find a decent air fare I would fly down to SA tomorrow and bitch slap every one of those assholes (Pop, R.C., Linsey, and especially Holt Cunt).

samikeyp
07-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Usually I accept AHF's Holt rants as just par for the course and let them go.

This time though....I think you nailed it bro.

This is fucked up. Only thing we can hope for now is that Butler never develops and Scola stays in Europe. Even then....well, it still blows.

mystargtr34
i wish i had something positive to say

Aggie Hoopsfan
This is like dumping Jessica Alba because she won't swallow and going home with Roseanne Barr.

I hate our front office.

timvp

And on top of that, Scola is very likely to come over this season. And he has a built in hatred for the team down the road that kept him out of the NBA for five years.

OMG this is such a bad deal. Just sit on Scola's rights and trade Beno. The difference in savings would have been about $600K when compared to this trade.

samikeyp
07-12-2007, 07:50 PM
i wish i had something positive to say

I do...

I am positive this sucks.

timvp
07-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Hmmmmmmm . . .
Read the rest of the article.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 07:51 PM
This is like a bad dream. Scola is going to light us up for the rest of his career, and he's a division rival that we get to see 4 times a year now.

We traded two of our most tradeable commodities for a second rounder and some cash for some hooch for Holt. :flipoff

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 07:51 PM
is Pop involved in trade decisions... or not...?
Yep probably more so than RC in terms of final say

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 07:52 PM
:frying:

picnroll
Butler does show an aptitude for Adelman's high post passing game ...

... and his crappy defense.

samikeyp
We traded two of our most tradeable commodities for a second rounder and some cash for some hooch for Holt.

And not even the good stuff.....we got a bottle of Thunderbird.

Solid D
Read the rest of the article.

Every riveting paragraph is pregnant with a solitary, strong message: "I'm never going back to the USA".

leemajors
07-12-2007, 07:53 PM
couldn't even toss in a s&t'd chuck hayes or something? i guess we'll see if they make any other moves.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 07:54 PM
couldn't even toss in a s&t'd chuck hayes or something? i guess we'll see if they make any other moves.

They won't. This is mission accomplished. Holt is under the lux tax threshold and banking.
:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

timvp
07-12-2007, 07:54 PM
The Spurs just got owned by the Rockets spy aka Dennis Lindsey. His girly last name should have been a clue.

Scola and Butler for a second round pick. I seriously can't believe this. There were many ways to save money and open up a roster spot, this wasn't one of them. And you do it with the Rockets?

Yao and Scola is going to be a deadly front court. Butler backing up Yao?

Holy crap wtf the Rockets just owned the Spurs ugly style.

FromWayDowntown
07-12-2007, 07:55 PM
The problem is that Butler's trade value was higher than a second round pick.

But trading him for a pick or a player woudn't create as much room if, for example, you intended to use your MLE (or some part of it) in the near future. Getting back the functional equivalent of a trade exception (assuming they can get Spanoulis settled) might be sufficient to convince the Spurs to use the MLE.

Scola's trade value should have been a lot higher than a second round pick.

Should have been, but at least the reports that I've read have suggested that the Spurs hadn't been able to do anything better than an offer of a 2nd round pick. Perhaps the market is aware that with Scola's upside you get the headaches of his contractual issues with Tau and the possiblity that he'll just remain in Europe for the foreseeable future.

Yet the Spurs packaged them together for a second round pick.

Again, if they get to dump Spanoulis as you say they will, then they've rid themselves of some salary and opened a roster spot with an MLE still available.

And the Spurs are still stuck with Beno, who is the worst contract on the team.

Perhaps there's something else afoot -- I'm trying to remain positive and see this as a potentially strategic move. I might be wrong in that choice, but I can't believe that this management group would make what appears to be a boneheaded decision without some resaonable contingency to follow.

I see nothing good about this trade. The Spurs basically salary dumped a guy on a one year contract for less than half the MLE.

Worst trade in franchise history.

I'm going to withhold judgment, but I understand what you're saying. If this deal allows the Spurs to make an offer to a free agent who can potentially make a difference -- a young, athletic wing, for instance -- I can see the trade as proving to be beneficial.

It would certainly seem from afar that they could have gotten more.

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Not that it matters but dont you think Ferry would have taken Butler/Scola + Beno for the exception and a bit of garbage. I do. Why this idea, surely they arent this DUMB. Do they not see what we see i mean...i just dont get it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 07:56 PM
The Spurs just got owned by the Rockets spy aka Dennis Lindsey. His girly last name should have been a clue.

Scola and Butler for a second round pick. I seriously can't believe this. There were many ways to save money and open up a roster spot, this wasn't one of them. And you do it with the Rockets?

Yao and Scola is going to be a deadly front court. Butler backing up Yao?

Holy crap wtf the Rockets just owned the Spurs ugly style.

Yep, we just gave a team with a bunch of scrubs a solid three in Yao, TMac, and Scola. This is a Pop damn joke.

Mr. Body
Just got in.

This is a devastating trade. Absolutely putrid.

timvp
Every riveting paragraph is pregnant with a solitary, strong message: "I'm never going back to the USA".

Yep. There is zero chance he comes back to the NBA. He wants out of his contract to sign with Pantaoisdfadfasikos.

This is a travesty.

Solid D
It's time to go out and hit the gym and get the frustrations out.

picnroll
Well guess Scola's rights weren't worth much after all.

samikeyp
They won't. This is mission accomplished. Holt is under the lux tax threshold and banking.

and he probably wonders why the Spurs don't repeat.

Exactly because of moves like this. You can't rest on your laurels in the NBA...everyone makes moves to get you and as the champ you have to make moves to adjust. They have to be smart moves though...not dumbass ones like this.

timvp is right....worst trade ever.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 07:57 PM
The wonderful thing about this? The Spurs greatly enrich a division rival.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Perhaps there's something else afoot -- I'm trying to remain positive and see this as a potentially strategic move. I might be wrong in that choice, but I can't believe that this management group would make what appears to be a boneheaded decision without some resaonable contingency to follow.

I have a bad feeling that contingency plan is we get to see Ian and Williams playing for the Toros this year :td

Still, you don't do this deal within your fucking division of all places like this. Unreal...

objective
this is the worst trade in Spurs history during my lifetime.

1. Don't trade BOTH Butler and Scola for a 2nd rounder

2. Don't trade within the conference

3. Don't trade to freaking Houston who is desperate for a PF. If Butler doesn't work out, Scola sure as hell will.

DISGRACE.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 07:58 PM
RC Buford, greatest professional sports personnel manager in history....

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Well guess Scola's rights weren't worth much after all.

Are you crazy? I just saved 4 million dollars in luxury tax penalties!

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/1/1d/Peter_holt.jpg

timvp
07-12-2007, 07:59 PM
I could have lived with Butler for the rotting contract of Spanoulis and a second round pick. Wouldn't have liked it, but I could live with it.

Throwing in Scola makes it a disgrace.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 08:00 PM
I think I'm going to follow Presti to Seattle. Fuck this shit.

timvp
It's time to go out and hit the gym and get the frustrations out.

Do a couple reps for timvp. Thanks.

shyne
Is there no chance that Splitter comes over this season?

Mr. Body
I can't eat my Chipotle burrito now. I feel like throwing up.

samikeyp
07-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Two young, up and coming prospects = a second round pick

Money saved by cheap-ass owner = 4 million dollars

Making a division rival better while screwing yourself = priceless.

:depressed

picnroll
07-12-2007, 08:01 PM
If they were going after Amir Johnson doesn't that mean they were willing to spend the money, it wasn't just a salary cap move?

Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:02 PM
this is the worst trade in Spurs history during my lifetime.

1. Don't trade BOTH Butler and Scola for a 2nd rounder

2. Don't trade within the conference

3. Don't trade to freaking Houston who is desperate for a PF. If Butler doesn't work out, Scola sure as hell will.

DISGRACE.

This is what happens when a city panics and thinks they have to trade a 22-year-old center who isn't playing David Robinson level defense. You show desperation and you get HOSED like the Spurs did.

The Spurs were desperate to trade Butler for some unknown reason and got OWNED.

Russ
07-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Three guys with unproven NBA talent were traded for each other. This trade is a big nothing.

The positives and negatives of Scola and Butler are strikingly similar.

Plus Side:

Size
Shooting touch
Offense

Minus Side:

Quickness
Defensive potential
Attitude?

Both of the big guys go against the template the Spurs have set up for Duncan's side men.

None of these three will likely ever contribute significantly to an NBA team. (If any ever does, my money is on the Greek guy.)

Once the above is common knowledge, on down the road, the big reaction will be long since forgotten. We just got nothin else to discuss. :wakeup

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:03 PM
If they were going after Amir Johnson doesn't that mean they were willing to spend the money, it wasn't just a salary cap move?

Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

The Spurs always are "about" to sign the last player who just got signed. I file this away with how the Spurs "almost" got Przybilla and Zo last year.

It's just an excuse to then go sign a scrub to a one year contract and say oh well we tried.

:jack

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 08:03 PM
he himself was talking about coming over .. Splitter that is. I dont see it tho

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:04 PM

No chance.

ducks
07-12-2007, 08:04 PM
I think I'm going to follow Presti to Seattle. Fuck this shit.
do not let the door hit you on the way out

samikeyp
07-12-2007, 08:05 PM
And thus began the downfall.

Aggie Hoopsfan

Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

The problem is, the Spurs were always this close to pulling off signing highly coveted free agent x and instead end up with some 40 year old over the hill veteran who is looking to gravy train to a title.

FromWayDowntown
I wonder how this will affect timvp's South Park looks.

timvp during the regular season . . . timvp during the playoffs . . . timvp after the playoffs . . . timvp after Spurs management apparently owned by Rockets?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1848226&postcount=39

Spurs Brazil
07-12-2007, 08:06 PM

NO, but I think Ian is a lock now

picnroll
07-12-2007, 08:07 PM
The Spurs always are "about" to sign the last player who just got signed. I file this away with how the Spurs "almost" got Przybilla and Zo last year.

It's just an excuse to then go sign a scrub to a one year contract and say oh well we tried.

:jack
We'll see how it plays out. Spurs biggest need was and still is a long 3 and a backup PG. Not Butler. Not Scola. Scola is not the agile PF the Rockets need to match with the slow footed Yao.

timvp
Let me get this straight. The Spurs publicly scoffed at deals of Scola for a second round pick. So what do they do? Trade Scola AND Butler for a second round pick.

Fantastic.

And to top it off, to the Houston Rockets.

Someone please wake me up.

Aggie Hoopsfan
do not let the door hit you on the way out

I'm not really going to, but it just pisses me off as a Spurs fan that I get to watch shit like this go down so a multi-millionaire cheap ass owner can save a few mil.

If I were paying for season tickets, I would be livid.

Tek_XX
I wonder how much power Pop or Buford have when Holt wants to ditch players

KEDA
:pctoss

what the fuck is our front office doing?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Why stop there? They should have just thrown in Parker too, I hear Houston needs a point as well.

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Three guys with unproven NBA talent were traded for each other. This trade is a big nothing.

Plus Side:

Size
Shooting touch
Offense

Minus Side:

Quickness
Defensive potential
Attitude?

Both of the big guys go against the template the Spurs have set up for Duncan's side men.

None of these three will likely ever contribute significantly to an NBA team. (If any ever does, my money is on the Greek guy.)

Once the above is common knowledge, on down the road, the big reaction will be long since forgotten. We just got nothin else to discuss. :wakeup

Point is i dont think anyone was really doubting these two were being traded, the point is what we got and who we traded too. I mean they just broke two cardinal sins with this trade, 'trading big for small' or in this case '2 bigs for nothing'. Second, trading to a division and NBA Championship rival and filling their needs. WOW.

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:09 PM

Plus Side:

Size
Shooting touch
Offense

Minus Side:

Quickness
Defensive potential
Attitude?

Yeah they don't fit the template so you gift wrap them to the Rockets for nothing. And I would have been outraged if this trade happened ten minutes after game four against the Cavs.

This is ownage to the ultimate degree.

Russ
If I were paying for season tickets, I would be livid.

To paraphrase the old joke, I guess Clipper season seats are out of the question? :)

Mr. Body
Let me get this straight. The Spurs publicly scoffed at deals of Scola for a second round pick. So what do they do? Trade Scola AND Butler for a second round pick.

Fantastic.

And to top it off, to the Houston Rockets.

Someone please wake me up.

That's the long and the short of it. This is like getting kicked in the nuts as a fan.

timvp
I wonder how this will affect timvp's South Park looks.

timvp during the regular season . . . timvp during the playoffs . . . timvp after the playoffs . . . timvp after Spurs management apparently owned by Rockets?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1848226&postcount=39

:lmao

I'll to get off the beach and update that post . . .

L.I.T
07-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Dear motherfucking Christ Almight.

I don't even want to read the comments, I don't need to.

That's it, all goodwill has evaporated, what four championships, four championships cannot be brought up for the rest of the off-season.

samikeyp
The problem is, the Spurs were always this close to pulling off signing highly coveted free agent x and instead end up with some 40 year old over the hill veteran who is looking to gravy train to a title.

Very true.

I though only Spurs fans were spoiled by the 4 titles...apparently Holt is too thinking that this formula will work forever even after the Big 3 are gone. Hell, it doesn't always work with the Big 3 still here!

Aggie Hoopsfan
To paraphrase the old joke, I guess Clipper season seats are out of the question? :)

Just like SA tickets, LA's a little far for me to drive.

lotr1trekkie
Let me see: Unload Butlers contract, let Spanoulis walk away & trade Scola's rights go for a future 2nd pick. Scola's stock hit a bear market. Two somethings for nothing. Seems to me this is a setup for something else that is already in the works. Makes no sense otherwise.

Tek_XX
07-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Watch Butler have some freakish breakout season.....eww burn.

samikeyp
07-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Seems to me this is a setup for something else that is already in the works. Makes no sense otherwise

Purely a cost-cutting move. No more.

SpursFanFirst
07-12-2007, 08:12 PM

:tu I agree with what you're saying here. If this holds true, then why is everyone so upset? I must be missing something.

objective
I can't believe the trade was not only in conference, but also in division!

to the Rockets!

And don't blame any of this on a 'city' or 'fans' who were ready to drop Butler because he was fat and couldn't get ahead in the roster, or were ready to trade Scola because of his buyout or perceived greed or questionable translatable skills . . .

This is all on ownership and management.

Matt Bonner just got 3 million a year.

How much did Butler make again?

Again, Holt wanted under the luxury tax, and RC wanted Matt Bonner.

Solid D
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/IMA/B1161~Straight-Flush-Posters.jpg

"Fold"

spursfan09
How do we know that there is not something bigger at work here?

Russ
Yeah they don't fit the template so you gift wrap them to the Rockets for nothing.

That gives me some reassurance, timvp. If there were any doubt about this move, they would never have made it within the division -- especially with the Rockets.

The potential slowness of a Rockets front line of Ming, Scola and Butler is intriguing.

samikeyp
07-12-2007, 08:13 PM
How do we know that there is not something bigger at work here?

Because Holt is a cheap fuck.

loveforthegame
I just got back from dinner and now this. :vomit:

timvp
That's the long and the short of it. This is like getting kicked in the nuts as a fan.

Exactly. This trade had no purpose other than making Holt somewhere between $4M and $7M. There is still a roster crunch because now the Spurs will bring in Mahinmi as the 6th big.

This trade did NOTHING good. No roster spots. No trade exceptions. No quality picks. Nothing except $4M to $7M for Peter Holt.

And the Spurs are STILL over the luxury tax threshold even after this trade ... meaning they won't sign anyone using the MLE.

O-Factor
:smchode::smchode::smchode:

:cuss:cuss

:makemyday

spursfan09
Well I'll take your word for it.

samikeyp
07-12-2007, 08:14 PM
"Your not a fool, are you?"
Tim Duncan

no but Holt is.

RC too.

and Pop for not standing up.

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:15 PM
That gives me some reassurance, timvp. If there were any doubt about this move, they would never have made it within the division -- especially with the Rockets.

The potential slowness of a Rockets front line of Ming, Scola and Butler is intriguing.Scola isn't slow. Yao and Butler are centers.

When Scola is average 17 and 5 and Butler proves to be a solid backup center, don't look at me.

Winery
It is what it is

Aggie Hoopsfan
Let me see: Unload Butlers contract, let Spanoulis walk away & trade Scola's rights go for a future 2nd pick. Scola's stock hit a bear market. Two somethings for nothing. Seems to me this is a setup for something else that is already in the works. Makes no sense otherwise.

Yeah, it's called 4 million for Holt to put a moonshine still in his new den.

ObiwanGinobili
07-12-2007, 08:16 PM
"I've been trying for one month and a half to make them understand. This is crazy. Believe me, he sold everything, his car, his apartment. He is not coming back. I don't understand how they don't understand. He said, 'I cannot live there. I thought I can. I was very happy when I signed the contract. After eight months, 10 months, I don't want a single second more.'

:lmao oh shit! what a strange tuern of events!! he;s not gogin to be our startign PG .. but still :lol he's NOT playing here.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 08:16 PM
I can't imagine a worse offseason, even after last year's dismal go at it.

Draft Marcus Williams, sign Bonner for too much money, now this. Splitter was a good pick, but he's not a Spur at the moment, is he? They'll probably trade him next summer plus cash considerations for Michael Doleac and Vin Baker's jaundiced liver.

vander
07-12-2007, 08:17 PM
well, I'd bet all my vbookie money against a repeat right now,
this FO seems intent on going into next year with less talent and more age

picnroll
07-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Haven't seen this much angst from some since the Malik trade two titles ago.

bigdog
07-12-2007, 08:18 PM
well this sucks. spanoulis has been saying that he doesn't want to play for the rockets, or maybe even in the US, and the Spurs go out and do something like this. I'm glad we finally got rid of Scola, but we shoulda kept Butler. yeah we have Splitter and Mahinmi stashed away right now, but I don't see them as safe fits with our team right now or in the near future.

samikeyp
07-12-2007, 08:18 PM
I can't imagine a worse offseason, even after last year's dismal go at it.

Haha! Good call.

This makes last year look awesome!

Kori Ellis
07-12-2007, 08:19 PM
When Mahinmi turns out better than Butler + Scola combined, then y'all will be singing a different tune. :drunk :lol :drunk

mystargtr34
Exactly. This trade had no purpose other than making Holt somewhere between $4M and $7M. There is still a roster crunch because now the Spurs will bring in Mahinmi as the 6th big.

This trade did NOTHING good. No roster spots. No trade exceptions. No quality picks. Nothing except $4M to $7M for Peter Holt.

And the Spurs are STILL over the luxury tax threshold even after this trade ... meaning they won't sign anyone using the MLE.

Yet he thanks the fans at every Trophy presentation like he gives a shit. That fuck should split that $5mil saving and send it to us in checks if he really gives a fuck.

Mr. Body
well, I'd bet all my vbookie money against a repeat right now,
this FO seems intent on going into next year with less talent and more age

It doesn't set out in a right frame of mind to do a bitch-ass move like this.

Houston was DESPERATE for big man talent. So the Spurs give them what they need for free????

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:20 PM
My initial reaction is disgust. If Solid D is also against it, I have to go with my initial reaction.

The Malik trade was much different. That was a salary dump that brought in a decent player. I didn't love it but I wasn't outraged.

But this trade takes the cake as the worst trade I've ever seen the Spurs do. The cherry on top is they traded these players to the Rockets.

ducks
07-12-2007, 08:21 PM
When Mahinmi turns out better than Butler + Scola combined, then y'all will be singing a different tune. :drunk :lol :drunk
:clap :clap :clap

samikeyp
07-12-2007, 08:21 PM
When Mahinmi turns out better than Butler + Scola combined, then y'all will be singing a different tune.

See? I knew their was a reason!

:lol

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 08:22 PM

Well, it's still a stupid trade. Where's the rule they had to trade Butler and Scola TO A DIVISION RIVAL in order to bring Mahinmi over?

This is beyond disgraceful and stupid.

Solid D
The only thing that can come close to making things right is for the Spurs to be freed-up to sign a decent FA and treat it like it is part of this trade.

timvp

I thought you've said Mahinmi sucks? :stirpot:

shyne
07-12-2007, 08:23 PM
So is fucking Mahinmi coming over now!? Cause this trade is fucking bullshit.

Athenea
Dream on.

samikeyp
The only thing that can come close to making things right is for the Spurs to be freed-up to sign a decent FA and treat it like it is part of this trade.

Is there anyone left that could make up for this?

mystargtr34

In Euroleague play, Mahinmi is to Scola as Stromile Swift is to Tim Duncan.

But its all good Mahinmi has upside, when he learns how to catch a ball and develop something that resembles a jump shot we will all WITNESS THE IAN.

Mr. Body
I just decided this is a two-part trade. The second will bring Shane Battier to the Spurs.

Except they'll send Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili for him.

samikeyp
We just lost some Argie love too. :(

Kori Ellis
I thought you've said Mahinmi sucks? :stirpot:

You don't see the drunk, laughing face, drunk?

It was a joke.

I wish they would have kept Butler. I don't really care about Scola, but I thought he'd be worth more than a guy that will never play in the league and a future 2nd round pick that they will trade away.

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:24 PM

If this is a precursor to a larger sign-and-trade, that's a different story. However, I don't see how it changes the Spurs' ability to sign and trade. They just gave away two of their better assets for cash.

spursfan09
07-12-2007, 08:24 PM
I was under the impression that Scola was never going to come anyway. It's sucks we don't really get anything for him though.

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:25 PM
So is fucking Mahinmi coming over now!? Cause this trade is fucking bullshit.

Yeah, he's coming over now.

*Poof*

There went the roster spot the Spurs opened. Hopefully the Rockets at least call Buford in the morning.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 08:25 PM

Even if Spanoullis stayed in Europe and we voided his contract, we're still 300K over the lux tax.

This was a 600K penalty < 4 million penalty trade.

chachi
07-12-2007, 08:26 PM
With Butler gone does this mean Mahinmi will play the next set of summer league games?

FromWayDowntown

That's been my point all along.

After all, the Spurs had to do something if they were to ever make a free agency move.

timvp
I just decided this is a two-part trade. The second will bring Shane Battier to the Spurs.

Except they'll send Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili for him.

:lol Don't forget that the Spurs will have to throw in the pick they got from the Rockets.

shyne
07-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Everyone pray someone fails a physical!

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:28 PM
You don't see the drunk, laughing face, drunk?

It was a joke.

I wish they would have kept Butler. I don't really care about Scola, but I thought he'd be worth more than a guy that will never play in the league and a future 2nd round pick that they will trade away.

My bad. This trade is like if you traded me, Deuce and Yogi for a credit card bill.

:nerd

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 08:29 PM

Not necessary. Houston just pounded the shit out of R.C. Buford's prostate. Don't worry; it's there, just bruised.

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Yao/Butler
Scola/Chuck
Battier/Novak
T-Back/Bonzi
Alston/James

Can you say NBA Champ?

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:30 PM
With Butler gone does this mean Mahinmi will play the next set of summer league games?

He's injured. It does mean the Spurs should cancel their games in Salt Lake City because they are going to get hammered without their best player.

Spurs16212
07-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Sounds like a salary cap move to me..... Butler was not going to get any playing time in a Spurs uniform as well as Scola..... We need a solid small forward to currently back up Bruce Bowen.

M. Pietrus or M. Barnes from Golden State would fit the bill. As for Ian coming in, I am all for... Young, athletic, and versatile

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Yao/Butler
Scola/Chuck
Battier/Novak
T-Back/Bonzi
Alston/James

Can you say NBA Champ?

The Rockets lacked scoring ... especially at the power forward position and behind Yao. The Spurs gave it to the Rockets for a second round pick.

And with Yao being 8 feet tall, Scola's size won't matter.

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 08:31 PM

:lol Thats the first thing that came to my head :lol :lol

SpursFanFirst
07-12-2007, 08:32 PM
http://entimg.msn.com/i/300/mov/ChickenLittle_300x298.jpg

bigdog
i'm convinced the Spurs will do something within the next week or so after this trade. i'm really hoping so. it will be a bad move if they bring Ian over this year. and remember, Ely is gone, now Butler is gone, and with speculation that White ocule be cut in a couple of weeks, we might only have 12 players on our roster (and Spanoulis), so we could definitely have some room for a couple of other players (Melzer?)

Aggie Hoopsfan
We just handed Houston 2/3 of their big man rotation for a second round pick and a couple of 40 oz.ers for Holt. Damn I hate those cheap ass fuckers running this team. :pctoss

FromWayDowntown
Is there anyone left that could make up for this?

If the Spurs are able to find the wing they so badly need, that would make up for it, I think. If Scola comes to the US, is he more Carlos Boozer or more Malik Rose (or worse). I'm thinking he's more the latter. While he's been successful in international competition and very good in Europe, the NBA histories of guys with that sort of background is sketchy at best. For instance, Jasikevicius ate the world (including Team USA) alive at the 2004 Olympics, but has done nothing in the NBA. I'm not suggesting that Scola sucks or that he'll never pan out or anything of that sort. I'm just saying that the reverential view of Scola is (perhaps) premature. I realize that NBA scouts love him and that many think he'll make a nice transition if he ever comes over, but it remains to be seen what his ultimate impact will be.

I understand the frustration in dealing him away in this circumstance, but there's got to be much, much more to this than we're seeing. It doesn't make much sense to me that the Spurs have been so steadfastly holding out for a first rounder for Scola only to decide to jettison him along with a project big man for a 2nd rounder without something else coming.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 08:33 PM
i'm convinced the Spurs will do something within the next week or so after this trade. i'm really hoping so. it will be a bad move if they bring Ian over this year. and remember, Ely is gone, now Butler is gone, and with speculation that White ocule be cut in a couple of weeks, we might only have 12 players on our roster (and Spanoulis), so we could definitely have some room for a couple of other players (Melzer?)

You don't trade Butler and Scola to sign a scrub like Melzer. Give us a break.

Marcus Bryant
The only way this trade even remotely makes sense is if Scola is re-upping tomorrow with Tau for 5 years with no buyout possibility until the end of the contract.

duncan228
FromWayDowntown is talking sense.

shyne
07-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Shit in might go Nancy Kerrigan on Butler's knee to make sure this bullshit does not happen!

Spurs16212
Yao/Butler
Scola/Chuck
Battier/Novak
T-Back/Bonzi
Alston/James

Can you say NBA Champ?

:lol :lol

I would be surprised to see them come out of the first round.....

mystargtr34
The Rockets lacked scoring ... especially at the power forward position and behind Yao. The Spurs gave it to the Rockets for a second round pick.

And with Yao being 8 feet tall, Scola's size won't matter.

If they stay healthy then well, i dont even wanna think of it. Dont you think if they had Van Gundy they would have been even more formidabble. I mean, they were great defensively they were just lacking that one extra low post option - now they got two. I just dont see how a Yao/Butler/Scola combo will work with Adelmans up tempo style.

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:35 PM
What people aren't understanding is that the Spurs could have traded away Beno instead and kept Scola's rights and they'd basically be in the same financial position. This trade doesn't even make sense if you look at it as just a money move. It doesn't put the Spurs below the luxury tax threshold. With the addition of Mahinmi, it opens up no roster spots.

It does nothing over than make Holt $4-7M richer.

bigdog
07-12-2007, 08:35 PM
You don't trade Butler and Scola to sign a scrub like Melzer. Give us a break.

yeah, but I was thinking that the only spots open would be 2 spots on the inactive list for now and not the regular 12 man roster. unless they gid rid of beno, which i hope they do. but either way, like i said, after this, i'm sure the spurs have something else coming up

FromWayDowntown
07-12-2007, 08:37 PM
With the addition of Mahinmi, it opens up no roster spots.

In theory, the Spurs now have 2 spots available (Butler, Ely) instead of the 1 (Ely) they had before.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 08:38 PM
What people aren't understanding is that the Spurs could have traded away Beno instead and kept Scola's rights and they'd basically be in the same financial position. This trade doesn't even make sense if you look at it as just a money move. It doesn't put the Spurs below the luxury tax threshold. With the addition of Mahinmi, it opens up no roster spots.

It does nothing over than make Holt $4-7M richer.

My guess is that Scola's signing long-term with Tau. In that case, they essentially got a 2nd round pick and cash for Butler (which should please all of the fans of San Antonio Basketball, LLC or whatever's P&L statement).

Solid D
07-12-2007, 08:38 PM
I guess if Spanoulis would agree to play in Spain, the Spurs could at least release Spanoulis to Tau as barter...a negotiating chip to set Splitter free a year early. :lol

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:39 PM
If they stay healthy then well, i dont even wanna think of it. Dont you think if they had Van Gundy they would have been even more formidabble. I mean, they were great defensively they were just lacking that one extra low post option - now they got two. I just dont see how a Yao/Butler/Scola combo will work with Adelmans up tempo style.

Adelman isn't only up tempo. His Portland teams had a slower pace and were great on defense. He just knows how to coach his team in a way that best brings out the team's ability.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 08:40 PM
In theory, the Spurs now have 2 spots available (Butler, Ely) instead of the 1 (Ely) they had before.

parker
ginobili
bowen
duncan
oberto
vaughn
udrih
finley
barry
bonner
horry
elson
white
williams
XXXXX

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:41 PM
My guess is that Scola's signing long-term with Tau. In that case, they essentially got a 2nd round pick and cash for Butler (which should please all of the fans of San Antonio Basketball, LLC or whatever's P&L statement).

I'd bet Scola is coming over this year. The Rockets now have until Monday to buy out Scola's contract ... which I'm sure they are planning to do.

If the Rockets do sign him in the next couple days, that'd make this trade even worse.

Spurs Brazil
XXXXX

Ian

Marcus Bryant
Fuck this shit. T Park or AHF could run this team better.

Adios.

-MB

mystargtr34

Surely Houston would have talked to Scola and Tau before making the trade...not that they lost anything anyway so your probably right :depressed

djohn14
07-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Well this is.....strange. I guess Ian is happy. I thought giving Bonner 3 years was dumb, but this is dumber. Who knows, maybe he know something about Ian that we don't. I won't question it, because we are the SPURS, the NBA CHAMPIONS, WE DON'T MAKE BAD MOVES.

FromWayDowntown
07-12-2007, 08:44 PM
parker
ginobili
bowen
duncan
oberto
vaughn
udrih
finley
barry
bonner
horry
elson
white
williams
XXXXX

Yeah, I don't see them keeping both White and Williams.

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Well this is.....strange. I guess Ian is happy. I thought giving Bonner 3 years was dumb, but this is dumber. Who knows, maybe he know something about Ian that we don't. I won't question it, because we are the SPURS, the NBA CHAMPIONS, WE DON'T MAKE BAD MOVES.

That he sucks to a degree less than we think. COULD BE

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Looking at it salary cap wise, the Spurs would have saved more money by trading away Beno for nothing than trading away Butler and Scola to bring in Mahinmi.

Classic.

FromWayDowntown
07-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Maybe Peter Holt has just exposed himself as a closet Mavs/Suns/Rockets fan -- he's tired of the Spurs winning all of these championships!!

Spurs16212
I guess if Spanoulis would agree to play in Spain, the Spurs could at least release Spanoulis to Tau as barter...a negotiating chip to set Splitter free a year early. :lol

Interesting notion......

spurtime
I just got word from a guy in the Rockets org that the reports about Butler being included in the deal are incorrect. The actual deal involves Scola and VSpan.

Roxsfan
07-12-2007, 08:48 PM

Ha Ha, SPLASH.

Time will tell, this will be interesting in the upcoming years :elephant :ihit :clap

timvp
I just got word from a guy in the Rockets org that the reports about Butler being included in the deal are incorrect. The actual deal involves Scola and VSpan.

That wouldn't work. The Rockets would have to take back salary.

objective
Let this be the final nail in the coffin for all the Ludden doubters.

When something comes from Ludden, IT'S COMING FROM THE SPURS.

Ludden will never go off reservation, EVER.

He doesn't want end up behind O'Keefe in line at the soup kitchen, so he knows that he has to write what they want.

Now you may say, 'It's stupid to announce that you're looking to move a guy, it ruins his value!'

Well, as Forrest Gump would say . . .

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Looking at it salary cap wise, the Spurs would have saved more money by trading away Beno for nothing than trading away Butler and Scola to bring in Mahinmi.

Classic.

They couldnt do it that easily, who would take just Beno for nothing. You would want 3 or 4 unconditional first rounders to live with Beno taking up one of ur roster spots.

I need to be saved.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Fuck this shit. T Park or AHF could run this team better.

Adios.

-MB

:flipoff More like Tpark or coachmac87.

vander

um, no, we are the NBA champions because we had the good fortune of winning the NBA draft lottery in 97, despite already having a pretty good team.

plenty of bad moves have been made by our FO and this is one of them

spurtime
07-12-2007, 08:50 PM
That wouldn't work. The Rockets would have to take back salary.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. I'm talking to him on another board and he's texting back and forth with a guy in the Rockets FO who's working on the deal.

ShoogarBear
07-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Sweet.

Can't wait for the "they've won four rings, they know what they're doing" posts.

ShoogarBear
07-12-2007, 08:51 PM
That sound you hear . . . is Kevin Pritchard and Sam Presti laughing their asses off.

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Yeah, it doesn't make sense. I'm talking to him on another board and he's texting back and forth with a guy in the Rockets FO who's working on the deal.

Butler and V-Span's contract work perfectly in a trade. Has to be this trade that is being reported.

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 08:52 PM

Seriously, dont do this to me

timvp
07-12-2007, 08:52 PM
That sound you hear . . . is Kevin Pritchard and Sam Presti laughing their asses off.

The day after Presti gets a $10M trade exception for Rashard Lewis and Pritchard gets James Jones and Rudy Fernandez for nothing, Buford gets destroyed.

:shootme

spurtime
07-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Seriously, dont do this to me

I'm just telling you what I'm hearing, bro. I know this guy personally. He's legit.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Sweet.

Can't wait for the "they've won four rings, they know what they're doing" posts.

No doubt.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 08:54 PM

How'd the Spurs keep up with him when all of the great ideas in Spurs' personnel history came from someone else?

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Does RC toss Holt's salad? WTF?

cherylsteele
07-12-2007, 08:55 PM
I was thinking that too.

I personally think Butler is basically a stiff, he looks so mechanical in his movement on the court, plus his "D" is atrocious.

Scola could be good but you really don't know that for sure, plus you don't even know if he will be in the NBA any time soon either dur to that nice sized buyout.

I have not seen Mahinmi play at all so I can't evaluate his play.

This could possibly be a trade opposite of what the majority of the people here think it is. I am going to reserve judgment.

Maybe they are making room to bring back Nazr?

objective
07-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Sweet.

But . . . But . . . they drafted Tony Parker at the end of the first round 6 years ago!

Marcus Bryant
Rationalizing this, Spurs-style, they wanted to keep the team together and Butler needed more minutes elsewhere.

mystargtr34

The day after Presti gets a $10M trade exception for Rashard Lewis and Pritchard gets James Jones and Rudy Fernandez for nothing, Buford gets destroyed.

:shootme

Wow Orlando hosed that one probably worse than RC did with this

AFBlue
07-12-2007, 08:57 PM
What the FUCK! Sorry, but I'm speechless....Unbelievable

DOMINATOR
haha

ShoogarBear
It doesn't matter if Butler and Scola don't happen to pan out.

The fact is, at this point in time, their worth in trade is much, much more than what the Spurs are getting, which is in essence nothing. Big Fat Zero. The Spurs at the absolute minimum should have gotten a first round pick out of it.

spurtime
The thing that kills me is that the trade was made with a division rival...no matter who's involved. Trade these guys to the EC, or at least out of fucking Texas.

Kori Ellis
Maybe they are making room to bring back Nazr?

Oh my. That would be a nightmare.

ShoogarBear
07-12-2007, 08:58 PM
haha:flipoff

Hot damn we owe you guys. First for the playoff losses, now this.

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 08:58 PM
lol i can picture everyone staring at the screen refreshing the page waiting for the Butler update.

Roxsfan
07-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Adelman isn't only up tempo. His Portland teams had a slower pace and were great on defense. He just knows how to coach his team in a way that best brings out the team's ability.

Yes, man you know your stuff.

Yao ming in the high post, passing to cutters, taking the long J's, taking threes from the top...so there is less distance to get back on a miss
and mixing it up down low, where few can stop him :madrun

well a three point shot on a blow out maybe :smokin

objective
I don't even want to visit clutchcity right now, I just know they're laughing their asses off.

---------

Sad how the Spurs had two low post scoring possibilities to use, a great way to keep the offense from stagnating those times when Duncan is out of the game . . .

And they drop them both for cash and whoever the next coming of Marcus Williams is

Marcus Bryant
We knew the Spurs wanted to dump Butler's salary.

We knew they wanted to get something for Scola's rights.

They did what they wanted to do.

Financial concerns trump basketball ones. Well I have other concerns that trump following them anymore.

AFBlue
07-12-2007, 09:00 PM
im feeling queezy

OMG...said the same thing.

:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 09:00 PM
The Rockets have traded Vassilis Spanoulis, a second round pick and cash to the San Antonio Spurs for the rights to Argentine power forward Luis Scola and 6-foot-10 center Jackie Butler.

ClutchFans has confirmed with a league source that the deal is as reported, though the Rockets can not mention it until 9pm Central time tonight. The pick given up by Houston will be a 2009 second-rounder.

The league source also confirmed to ClutchFans that the Rockets plan to have Scola on the team this season.

http://www.clutchcity.net/news/1426/rockets_trade_spanoulis_for_scola/

SenorSpur
07-12-2007, 09:01 PM
I just got in front of the computer after a few hours and find out this bullshit.

The jist of every trade should be to improve your team. R.C. makes no moves that do not favor financial flexibility. I have to admit that I'm scratching my head on this one. This makes no sense.

Was he that desparate to get under the cap that he traded a young, developing player fo 10 cents on the dollar?

Spurs got ass-raped on this one - VOLUNTARILY - no less.

AFBlue
SO many things are wrong with this I don't know where to begin....

DOMINATOR
:flipoff

Hot damn we owe you guys. First for the playoff losses, now this.
don't be mad at the rockets man... blame the spurs organization... rockets get 2 players for giving up nothing.

timvp
07-12-2007, 09:02 PM
It doesn't matter if Butler and Scola don't happen to pan out.

The fact is, at this point in time, their worth in trade is much, much more than what the Spurs are getting, which is in essence nothing. Big Fat Zero. The Spurs at the absolute minimum should have gotten a first round pick out of it.

Exactly. Why give away Scola for nothing? You could just hold on to him and wait for his contract in Tau to expire in less than a year. You can hold on to Butler and if he can't find his way into the rotation, you can either trade him at the deadline or wait for his contract to expire at the end of the year. What you don't do is trade them both to the Rockets for nothing.

And if you wanted to open up a roster space or have the same effect on the luxury tax, send Beno and two second rounders somewhere for a second rounder.

This trade makes absolutely no sense. Not on the basketball court. Not on the books. The only upside to it is the $3M in cash the Spurs probably received from the Rockets.

But that $3M doesn't go anywhere except into Holt's pockets.

exstatic
07-12-2007, 09:02 PM
My guess is that Scola went Giricek on them, and they had no choice. For those who don't remember, Giricek threatened to sign long term in Europe if the Spurs didn't trade him. I have no doubt that Scola is coming to the NBA. I also have no doubt that if this trade doesn't go down, he locks down in Tau. I think the deadline would have been Sunday, and this may have been the least-worst deal.

I'm not happy, but I will be if we can get rid of Beno's fucking rotting corpse to Cleveland for a conditional second rounder in 2084.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't even want to visit clutchcity right now, I just know they're laughing their asses off.

They're as flabbergasted as we are... though in the opposite direction.

AFBlue
To all the people talking roster spots....

WHO THE HELL DO THE SPURS SIGN THAT IS BETTER THAN BUTLER AND SCOLA?!?!?!

Roxsfan
don't be mad at the rockets man... blame the spurs organization... rockets get 2 players for giving up nothing.

This appears to be a MAJOR break for the Rockets, but you just never know how things will play out..........I hope for the best because the west is cut-throat now...or will be VERY soon.

AFBlue
The ONLY two bigs with ANY semblence of a post game outside of Duncan....GONE!

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 09:04 PM
My guess is that Scola went Giricek on them, and they had no choice.

They still had the choice. Send him to Chicago or another EC team for a 2009 2nd rounder. I'm sure Paxson would accept.

SenorSpur
07-12-2007, 09:04 PM
THey could have at least tried to coax something better out of Chicago.

SpursFanFirst
07-12-2007, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=objective]I don't even want to visit clutchcity right now, I just know they're laughing their asses off.

Actually, I just went there, and it's not bad at all...Most of them are trying to figure out who Scola is.

AFBlue
Well I've got a buddy from H-town, here with me in Georgia. Might as well call him and give him the news. With the utter crap coming from the Texans and Astros, he could use a good-news story.

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :smchode:

ShoogarBear
:worthy: :worthy::worthy:2008 Master Plan :worthy::worthy::worthy:

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 09:08 PM
:worthy: :worthy::worthy:2008 Master Plan :worthy::worthy::worthy:
:lol :lol

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 09:09 PM
It's easy to decipher this trade. Splitter and Mahinmi both can be signed under rookie deals that require a guaranteed commitment of $1.5 mil over 2 years for each of them. Scola will cost more as will Butler over that same time period. The Spurs also get a 2nd round pick and cash out of the deal.

Maybe Holt's Cat will get some Fancy Feast now.