PDA

View Full Version : NBA Trade Deadline 2019

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ace3g
01-16-2019, 08:43 PM
February 7 -- NBA Trade Deadline (3 p.m. ET)

21 days till the Spurs don't trade for a SF...

objective
01-16-2019, 08:51 PM

21 days until Pau starts making noise about playing time and his role next year

Robz4000
01-16-2019, 08:51 PM
Hopefully Spurs are active whether it's as buyers or sellers.

timtonymanu
01-16-2019, 08:53 PM
Probably gonna stand pat like usual cause no one will want our scrubs. And Bryn is “untouchable”

BD24
01-16-2019, 09:39 PM
We’re happy with what we have :pop:

timtonymanu
01-16-2019, 09:44 PM
We’re happy with what we have :pop:

Stonecutter pounding the rock, SPAM etc

sananspursfan21
01-16-2019, 11:09 PM
There might be a trade but knowing the front office it will be like Pondexter for Lance Thomas or something

Degoat
01-17-2019, 12:58 AM
Yeah it’s tough because I want them to make a move but as crazy as it sounds this year, I think low key the spurs could be trying to build their reputation back up. Kawhi and his camp made the spurs look pretty bad among players with the misdiagnosis, strict environment, etc.. having a washed up vet like gasol and paying him lots of $$$ this late in his career, staying loyal to guys like mills, giving Quincy a chance to revitalize his nba career.

Blackhaus
01-17-2019, 01:07 AM
Spurs have nothing to trade with, nobody wants Gasol and Patty is a lifer

marinoman
01-17-2019, 01:13 AM
A team that’s not playing for the playoffs will take pau, as long as a 1s attached

Mugen
01-17-2019, 01:19 AM
Just get rid of Pau. I don't care what you get back or even if you have to attach the Raptors pick to him. Just ship his ass out.

james evans
01-17-2019, 01:24 AM
I’m just anticipating Pau’s next extension

alpha_HaZE
01-17-2019, 01:26 AM
Pau is the only guy I want traded at this point, realistically speaking. I would think the other team would want to unload a long term contract of a player that does not play well right now (see Boris) for whatever reason but his production will go up when he joins the Spurs. And I don't see many players/teams fitting that description. Which does not bother me that much, since we shouldn't have to pay him 16mi next season.

But am open to ideas, Pau for who and why?

EricB
01-17-2019, 01:30 AM
If Demarre Carrol could be had for cheap, you get him. Other than that, why would you want to ship out Mills who’s been good?

Duncan87
01-17-2019, 01:31 AM
Think Pop sees writing on the wall Gasol just not NBA player anymore feel like he will play that loyal role

playbonner15
01-17-2019, 01:42 AM

21 days til the Spurs stand pat :lol

marinoman
01-17-2019, 01:44 AM
Terrance Ross + John simmons for pau + Cunningham and a first. Money works but pop doesn’t seem to be okay with Simmons.

SpurPadre
01-17-2019, 02:37 AM
Terrance Ross + John simmons for pau + Cunningham and a first. Money works but pop doesn’t seem to be okay with Simmons.

Simmons sucks and Pop doesn't like dunkers anyways.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-17-2019, 03:02 AM
I don't see the Spurs being able to do much with the assets they have but I also don't think they'll want to keep both firsts. They may dangle the Toronto pick for something, I just hope it wouldn't be for an expiring UFA.

There are a few teams that have to make moves but Sacramento is the key as they can help a lot of teams with their cap situation and they're bound to make moves. Depends on how early they begin doing deals.

alpha_HaZE
01-17-2019, 03:24 AM
Maybe Sean Marks can do us that favour :)

Pau for Allen Crabbe, the Nets can use Pau's expiring contract, and the Spurs on the other side can use a 6-6 wing that shoots 39% from the three point line (both career and this season!).

r0drig0lac
01-17-2019, 04:36 AM
Yeah it’s tough because I want them to make a move but as crazy as it sounds this year, I think low key the spurs could be trying to build their reputation back up. Kawhi and his camp made the spurs look pretty bad among players with the misdiagnosis, strict environment, etc.. having a washed up vet like gasol and paying him lots of $$$ this late in his career, staying loyal to guys like mills, giving Quincy a chance to revitalize his nba career.

rebuild your reputation with whom? with ex players wanting their last payment? nobody cares about Quincy,Spurs is the only good team that would give him a chance, and that's exclusively about Pop

If Demarre Carrol could be had for cheap, you get him. Other than that, why would you want to ship out Mills who’s been good?

impossible, Nets is a playoff team

SouthTexasRancher
01-17-2019, 06:11 AM
Knowing Pop, the trade deadline will once again come and go. No upgrading and settle for a first round exit, if that. Stick with the 'win one, lose one' formula. Seems we've got that down pat.

tbdog
01-17-2019, 09:06 AM
For Gasol's contract, you would want to look at teams that are willing to get rid of a longer contract. On top of my head, that's James Johnson, Courtney Lee, Lance Thomas, Marvin Williams, Evan Turner, Bazemore and Snell. They are not difference makers and I am unsure if losing offseason flexibility that could result in the loss of Gay, is worth it. I like James Johnson as I think the Spurs really need a hard worker. Gasol for Lee and Thomas would add a whole bunch of depth but unsure if any of them could be a rotational player comes playoffs, so what's the point.

r0drig0lac
01-17-2019, 09:09 AM
For Gasol's contract, you would want to look at teams that are willing to get rid of a longer contract. On top of my head, that's James Johnson, Courtney Lee, Lance Thomas, Marvin Williams, Evan Turner, Bazemore and Snell. They are not difference makers and I am unsure if losing offseason flexibility that could result in the loss of Gay, is worth it. I like James Johnson as I think the Spurs really need a hard worker. Gasol for Lee and Thomas would add a whole bunch of depth but unsure if any of them could be a rotational player comes playoffs, so what's the point.

Snell would be my chosen on this list, I do not believe James Johson is possible (your contract is bad)

HankChinaski
01-17-2019, 09:15 AM
No team is taking Gasol without us sending out a pick or a player with obvious potential in addition.

It's that or we take a slightly younger player with a equally horrendous an longer contract that doesn't do much for the team overall this season and makes things worse going into the off season

The waiver wire is where the Spurs will look at anything that could aid them.

The current roster make up isn't perfect an guys like Dante, Quincy, an Pau are not ideal but they at least know their role an are not a cancer on the bench.

The 8-9 man rotation going into a playoff is already there. Yeah they could use one more wing but that isn't going to miraculously fall into our lap like Diaw did.

duncan2150
01-17-2019, 09:54 AM
i'm ok with Pau, he will be in better shape and could a 3rd center but i hope we get rid of pondexter and cunnigham and sign players who can bring something.

Drewlius
01-17-2019, 10:06 AM
We are 1 injury to our core away from having to give playoff minutes to a mixture of Pondexter & Cunningham and that is a recipe for disaster. Any type of move that can give us depth that Pop will actually play in favor of those guys is a must. Waiver wire or otherwise.

Dverde
01-17-2019, 10:32 AM
I hope we trade The Raptors first round draft pick. I would rather have a solid bench player than give up another roster spot for somebody to play in Austin all year. Only been said a hundred times, we need a playable small forward. Spurs won’t trade Gasol or Patty. I’m hoping Gasol goes out super classy and retires without making the Spurs waive him. This would save the Spurs 6M in future salary space.

RD2191
01-17-2019, 11:36 AM
I hope we trade LMA and DD.

cd021
01-17-2019, 11:43 AM

Pau for Allen Crabbe, the Nets can use Pau's expiring contract, and the Spurs on the other side can use a 6-6 wing that shoots 39% from the three point line (both career and this season!).

Has a bad remaining contract and is apparently a mediocre defender, so, no.

SpursDynasty85
01-17-2019, 12:13 PM
Need a hybrid SF/PF incase Rudy gets hurt and for more versatility.

R. DeMurre
01-17-2019, 01:52 PM
I noticed today on the espn stats page that the two Spurs leading the team in +/- are Rudy Gay and Davis Bertans. I thought that was interesting, as most people think of SF as the team's weakest position.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM

SpursDynasty85
01-17-2019, 01:57 PM
I noticed today on the espn stats page that the two Spurs leading the team in +/- are Rudy Gay and Davis Bertans. I thought that was interesting, as most people think of SF as the team's weakest position.

These guys are more pfs in today's NBA who can play spot minutes at SF. It would be great to get another player to compliment them (better defender/rebounder/good jumpshot) we can play whoever that is along side both of them when we need to go big.

vavvi
01-17-2019, 01:57 PM

SF is the weakest position because both of them are playing PF

monty4329
01-17-2019, 02:36 PM
i'm ok with Pau, he will be in better shape and could a 3rd center but i hope we get rid of pondexter and cunnigham and sign players who can bring something.

If we make the playoffs, and it is not a small if, Pau will be useful. I expect him to be in better shape in a month or so, as he couldn't do any conditioning with the broken foot.

dbestpro
01-17-2019, 03:18 PM
The one player who would not cost much, probably would retire after this year, but could hit the three and actually might help you win a playoff game in brief minutes at the SF position is Vince Carter. Yes, he is old as dirt, but in select minutes he can still deliver.

Drom John
01-17-2019, 03:29 PM
Vince Carter
.405/.373/.769 TS% .545

Quincy Pondexter
.486/.357/.788 TS% .656

dbestpro
01-17-2019, 03:39 PM
Vince Carter
.405/.373/.769 TS% .545

Quincy Pondexter
.486/.357/.788 TS% .656

With the game on the line who would you prefer to take the shot? This is not about who excels in garbage minutes. This is about who has the pedigree to actually make a difference in limited minutes during a playoff game.

exstatic
01-17-2019, 03:54 PM
With the game on the line who would you prefer to take the shot? This is not about who excels in garbage minutes. This is about who has the pedigree to actually make a difference in limited minutes during a playoff game.

Neither. If you're in that position to have either of these guys take the shot, your team is screwed.

Degoat
01-17-2019, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=r0drig0lac;9675603]rebuild your reputation with whom? with ex players wanting their last payment? nobody cares about Quincy,Spurs is the only good team that would give him a chance, and that's exclusively about Pop

Players around the league know what happened to Quincy, he almost died. It makes the spurs look good among other players and their agents that they’re giving quincy a shot.

Keepin' it real
01-17-2019, 05:10 PM
Vince Carter
.405/.373/.769 TS% .545

Quincy Pondexter
.486/.357/.788 TS% .656

Meaningless stats.
:wakeup

Keepin' it real
01-17-2019, 05:15 PM
Snell would be my chosen on this list, I do not believe James Johson is possible (your contract is bad)

Steven Snell?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FluffyNeatGuillemot-size_restricted.gif

SpursRussia
01-17-2019, 05:25 PM

Actually not a terrible idea, yes Crabbe is more of an sg/sf than a sf/pf that we ideally need, and he is no Bruce Bowen defensively, but he is still a deadeye shooter who moves without the ball extremely well and is an upgrade in terms of size and D over Bryn or Patty.

His contract is not that terrible, he will be a big expiring next year.

BK will gladly do it to shed salary in pursuit of room for max FAs, maybe we even can squeeze a 2nd

Dverde
01-17-2019, 05:31 PM
Time to trade in our Gasol for a newer model...
https://i.imgur.com/ZJzt5Iw_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

RC_Drunkford
01-17-2019, 06:13 PM

I've been thinking about trading Pau for Marc too, but why would Memphis do that :lol

timvp
01-17-2019, 06:16 PM

What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension. There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense.

Ignazzz
01-17-2019, 06:21 PM
5.000.000 extra next year

tax detected and no Rudy
both firstrounders put even higher

Dverde
01-17-2019, 06:27 PM
I've been thinking about trading Pau for Marc too, but why would Memphis do that :lol

The fact both teams are in the same division make this trade very unlikely. Fat Gasol can opt out in the offseason and sign elsewhere. The trade will give them salary room when they waive Pau in the offseason. Frees up playing time immediately for Jalen Jackson. Patty Mills can help their bench. Forbes would be the asset on a cheap contract and throw in a draft pick.

Pavlov
01-17-2019, 06:48 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ZJzt5Iw_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=mediumUh, who's going to replace the 10 three point attempts per game after the trade?

RC_Drunkford
01-17-2019, 06:53 PM
The fact both teams are in the same division make this trade very unlikely. Fat Gasol can opt out in the offseason and sign elsewhere. The trade will give them salary room when they waive Pau in the offseason. Frees up playing time immediately for Jalen Jackson. Patty Mills can help their bench. Forbes would be the asset on a cheap contract and throw in a draft pick.

not only doesn't this trade make sense for Memphis, it also doesn't make sense for the Spurs

Dverde
01-17-2019, 06:54 PM
Uh, who's going to replace the 10 three point attempts per game after the trade?

Fat Gasol takes 4 attempts per game. Marco and Bertrans can split the rest.

Pavlov
01-17-2019, 06:57 PM
Fat Gasol takes 4 attempts per game. Marco and Bertrans can split the rest.:lol that's unrealistic.

Dverde
01-17-2019, 06:59 PM
not only doesn't this trade make sense for Memphis, it also doesn't make sense for the Spurs

I acknowledge the Grizz probably get a better deal elsewhere. I think they should trade Gasol this year. Conley’s contract is harder to move. They should move forward with Conley, Fathead, Jackson and tank the next couple of years.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-17-2019, 07:01 PM
Patty won't get traded.

Gasol probably won't get moved either, I just hope he slides to the forgotten end of the bench down by Eubanks and Pondexter somewhere. Let him mentor and lead by example...from the bench.

Joseph Kony
01-17-2019, 07:01 PM

LOL why would either of these guys be taking last shots, let alone playing in a playoff game :lol there's a reason Carter has been playing on shit non-playoff teams the last couple years. he is beyond washed up

ace3g
01-17-2019, 07:02 PM
If we trade with the Grizz, we better get Casspi in return.

ace3g
01-17-2019, 07:05 PM
The NBA announced the 2019 NBA All-Star Draft will be televised by TNT on Thurs, Feb. 7 at 7 p.m. ET. The team rosters for the 68th NBA All-Star Game will be revealed during a special NBA All-Star Draft Show.

Same day as NBA trade deadline - should make things interesting.

alpha_HaZE
01-17-2019, 07:08 PM
Has a bad remaining contract and is apparently a mediocre defender, so, no.

So were DJ, Pau, LaMarcus, DeMar and others but have played solid D under Pop.

cd021
01-17-2019, 07:20 PM
So were DJ, Pau, LaMarcus, DeMar and others but have played solid D under Pop.
He's making $18.5 million next season, would rather the Spurs draft a wing and keep DDR at the 3 with Murray back and White playing a bigger role. As for this season, Carrol would be a better fit but the Spurs are likely to stand pat.

gambit1990
01-17-2019, 07:29 PM
If we trade with the Grizz, we better get Casspi in return.
pass on casspi. dude thinks israel is in the right when it comes to the palestine situation.

R. DeMurre
01-17-2019, 07:45 PM
Marc Gasol turns 34 this month, and is definitely not the center you want to add to Murray, White, Walker, Aldridge, & DeRozan for next season, even if he was available.

offset formation
01-17-2019, 08:26 PM
Spurs have nothing to trade with, nobody wants Gasol and Patty is a lifer

Lol. Gasols contract is pure gold for a GM of RC's talents should they choose to move him.

Mills is still producing at levels commensurate with his contract, especially considering the contracts that were signed 2 years ago. At worst year 4 could become a burden. This team is **NOT** suffering as a result of those contracts. Kawhi's asshattery is the cause of our struggles. Full stop.

exstatic
01-17-2019, 09:06 PM
Lol. Gasols contract is pure gold for a GM of RC's talents should they choose to move him.

Mills is still producing at levels commensurate with his contract, especially considering the contracts that were signed 2 years ago. At worst year 4 could become a burden. This team is **NOT** suffering as a result of those contracts. Kawhi's asshattery is the cause of our struggles. Full stop.

Exactly. Look back to 2012. We sent HWSNBN, with 2.5 years left on his deal, plus a late first rounder to GS for Jack’s 1.5 year contract, saving $11M. Teams do that. We’re not trading Pau Gasol, we’re trading a contract that can offer a team $10M in salary relief this summer. No one wants Gasol at this point, but there would be a line forming for that contract if RC were to put it up on the market.

SpaceCoast Spursfan
01-17-2019, 11:06 PM
Actually not a terrible idea, yes Crabbe is more of an sg/sf than a sf/pf that we ideally need, and he is no Bruce Bowen defensively, but he is still a deadeye shooter who moves without the ball extremely well and is an upgrade in terms of size and D over Bryn or Patty.

His contract is not that terrible, he will be a big expiring next year.

BK will gladly do it to shed salary in pursuit of room for max FAs, maybe we even can squeeze a 2nd

Not really any good trades out there, but this at least has some potential. If you could do Gasol, Forbes, and Cunningham for Crabbe and Hollins-Jefferson that could give Spurs more options.

Crabbe replaces Bryn giving us bit more of a complete player with better size (at a much higher price) and Hollins-Jefferson gives you athletic SF though he is almost as limited offensively as Cun, but Spurs would get opportunity to see him up close and decide if they could develop his shot/offensive game.

The Nets don't want to pay Crabbe on PO he is almost certain to opt-in and he has had some injury issues and a couple of their young guys have played well in his absence. They also seem to have moved on from RHJ.

Not sure if worth taking on salary especially if it would be the difference in resigning Gay assuming he can stay relatively healthy. Also is Bryn & salary relief next year enough to entice the Nets or would they also want a pick?

Carroll would be the preferred target, but a trade involving Demare is more difficult both because he is an expiring and main cog off bench.

Duncan87
01-18-2019, 11:36 PM
Kenneth faried getting bought out Going to sign with Rockets

Duncan87
01-18-2019, 11:36 PM
Bet they waive Melo. Anyone????

DPG21920
01-18-2019, 11:54 PM
I don’t know what MEM could even get for Gasol. The fact he can opt out has to drive his value down some

pad300
01-19-2019, 12:39 AM
If we are really getting to brass tacks:

Patty, TOR 2019 FRP, and one of DJ or Lonnie Walker
for
Kemba Walker

Try 10 day contracts in the open roster spot, starting with Bruno Caboclo

RC_Drunkford
01-19-2019, 05:37 AM
If we are really getting to brass tacks:

Patty, TOR 2019 FRP, and one of DJ or Lonnie Walker
for
Kemba Walker

Try 10 day contracts in the open roster spot, starting with Bruno Caboclo

doesn't make sense since you have to resign him and he'll most likely want the max. Also Marc Gasol won't opt out of a 27 million dollar deal. Nobody would resign him for that money

Ignazzz
01-19-2019, 06:08 AM
Stop this nonesens

Kemba is frenchise player for Charlotte

Mills in Kemba Trade????
big wow

ace3g
01-19-2019, 10:48 AM

Rockets might waive James Nunnally to open roster spot, could be 3/D option for Spurs.

pad300
01-19-2019, 10:49 AM
doesn't make sense since you have to resign him and he'll most likely want the max. Also Marc Gasol won't opt out of a 27 million dollar deal. Nobody would resign him for that money

You're getting me mixed up with what other posters are proposing; I didn't say a damn thing about trading for Marc Gasol.

With respect to resigning Kemba, we would have his bird rights (and his cap hold is only ~$18M), so we have an exception for his contract. I suspect he's not getting a full max, he's 29 next season and has not done it on a contender (and none of the contenders need a starter PG). In summer we waive and stretch Pau (saving ~ $13.7M under the tax line) + what would have been Patty's $12.4 and Dejounte's $2.3M + the spot for the TO pick $1.4M = $29.8M without affecting our cap situation in the slightest... His max, as a 7-9 year veteran (this season is his 8th in the league) is roughly $30M...

Stop this nonesens

Kemba is frenchise player for Charlotte

Mills in Kemba Trade????
big wow

Yeah, this is an issue, MJ has been talking about keeping Kemba and competing. But that's a fantasy - Kemba will want the max to stay there, in a edge of the playoffs treadmill team. If CHA resigns him, they lock themselves into that mess, due to being in salary cap hell for 2 years, and Kemba (obviously from the last 3 years experience), isn't the guy to elevate that franchise into contention. Not good, and to stay, he might be in a position of demanding a DPE! So there is good odds he could just walk on them this summer... In that sense, for what is a 4 month rental, this is about as much value as I think they can possibly expect : a usable roleplayer to match the salaries (Patty), who's in a position that they will need after the trade, a strong prospect DJ, and a late first. If I was PATFO, I would start by leaving the TO pick out of the offer...

pad300
01-19-2019, 10:54 AM
Rockets might waive James Nunnally to open roster spot, could be 3/D option for Spurs.

I'd expect them to dump Melo's ass instead...

Duncan87
01-19-2019, 11:36 AM
Fareid threat to Spurs ?still can’t guard LA

Spurs da champs
01-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Kenneth Faried is ass cheeks.

lebomb
01-19-2019, 11:56 AM
Lol.... stand pat. Nothing available out there we want to trade for.

RD2191
01-19-2019, 11:58 AM

:lol

Pavlov
01-19-2019, 12:57 PM
Rockets might waive James Nunnally to open roster spot, could be 3/D option for Spurs.Well, a 3/- option anyway.

Wonder if there's any way to get in on the Danuel House situation there. Pretty bizarre and intractable looking at this point; will be interesting if it gets resolved this season.

And why haven't they called up Caboclo?

Weird stuff.

RC_Drunkford
01-19-2019, 01:05 PM
You're getting me mixed up with what other posters are proposing; I didn't say a damn thing about trading for Marc Gasol.

With respect to resigning Kemba, we would have his bird rights (and his cap hold is only ~$18M), so we have an exception for his contract. I suspect he's not getting a full max, he's 29 next season and has not done it on a contender (and none of the contenders need a starter PG). In summer we waive and stretch Pau (saving ~ $13.7M under the tax line) + what would have been Patty's $12.4 and Dejounte's $2.3M + the spot for the TO pick $1.4M = $29.8M without affecting our cap situation in the slightest... His max, as a 7-9 year veteran (this season is his 8th in the league) is roughly $30M...

the Marc Gasol statement wasn't directed towards you, I was speaking in general. I know what you are saying, I just think that Kemba will follow the money and look to get the supermax from somebody. There are enough desperate franchises out there who would do it. Spurs just won't offer that and thus can't be sure to be able to resign him. Of course having him would improve the team, but with White and Murray locked up on cheap deals it makes more sense to use that money on a competent SF since that's this teams weakness

pad300
01-19-2019, 02:54 PM
the Marc Gasol statement wasn't directed towards you, I was speaking in general. I know what you are saying, I just think that Kemba will follow the money and look to get the supermax from somebody. There are enough desperate franchises out there who would do it. Spurs just won't offer that and thus can't be sure to be able to resign him. Of course having him would improve the team, but with White and Murray locked up on cheap deals it makes more sense to use that money on a competent SF since that's this teams weakness

Kemba can't get the supermax from someone if he is traded (and he'd have to make the all-star team to get it from CHA this year). The only team you can get a supermax from is the team who drafted you, so if he's traded, that's off the table. With regards to an SF, sure a big time SF (a Kawhi, Giannis, Lebron, PG ...) would be a better get than Kemba, but there isn't one we can get for trade, and I can't see a path to significant cap-space this summer, even if Gasol and Mills are both hit by lightning... we will still be operating above the cap. Just like if we do such a trade for Kemba, we would still be stuck at the MLE for FA's.

exstatic
01-19-2019, 09:32 PM
Kenneth Faried is what happens to a player who leans heavily into athleticism when they get past their sell-by date.

exstatic
01-19-2019, 09:37 PM
Well, a 3/- option anyway.

Wonder if there's any way to get in on the Danuel House situation there. Pretty bizarre and intractable looking at this point; will be interesting if it gets resolved this season.

And why haven't they called up Caboclo?

Weird stuff.
House is a two way who exhausted his 45 days, and refused a multi year NBA minimum deal from HOU. He didn’t want to be locked in at that rate. He’s stuck in RG for the rest of the season, and no one else can call him up. He’ll be a FA this summer.

FireMicoHalili
01-19-2019, 09:40 PM
Lol.... stand pat. Nothing available out there we want to trade for.
Having Pondexter’s contract guaranteed pretty much indicated the team was standing pat. Pöltl’s play might have made Pau expendable though, but that’s just wishful thinking.

exstatic
01-19-2019, 09:41 PM
No one can offer him the SuperMax except Charlotte. The player has to meet the conditions, and the franchise must be the Bird Rights holding team.

Pavlov
01-20-2019, 12:35 AM
House is a two way who exhausted his 45 days, and refused a multi year NBA minimum deal from HOU. He didn’t want to be locked in at that rate. He’s stuck in RG for the rest of the season, and no one else can call him up. He’ll be a FA this summer.Right. That's the story if Houston wants to do nothing and retain his two-way rights.

What if they just waived him?

Chinook
01-20-2019, 12:36 AM
Right. That's the story if Houston wants to do nothing and retain his two-way rights.

What if they just waived him?

Why would they? I have a hard time thinking they get to use any more call-up days if they sign someone else. May as well hold onto him to see if he can be in the plans this summer.

Pavlov
01-20-2019, 12:48 AM
Why would they? I have a hard time thinking they get to use any more call-up days if they sign someone else. May as well hold onto him to see if he can be in the plans this summer.I don't know if the clock starts again but seems odd that a new player would inherit the previous players NBA days..

Chinook
01-20-2019, 12:55 AM
I don't know if the clock starts again but seems odd that a new player would inherit the previous players NBA days..

Only if you don't think of it as a slot rather than a player. As far as I look at it, each team gets two slots with 45 call-up days. If you could just cut guys and start over, you could essentially keep 17 players ready to go indefinitely, with two of them not factoring into the cap/tax.

Pavlov
01-20-2019, 12:59 AM
Only if you don't think of it as a slot rather than a player. As far as I look at it, each team gets two slots with 45 call-up days. If you could just cut guys and start over, you could essentially keep 17 players ready to go indefinitely, with two of them not factoring into the cap/tax.But is that the way it actually is?

I haven't seen the CBA language.

Chinook
01-20-2019, 01:18 AM
But is that the way it actually is?

I haven't seen the CBA language.

Me either. The FAQ doesn't disagree with you. But it seems like an obvious loophole. Only thing to stop is is that the 45 days are pro-rated, so signing a guy 80 percent into the season only gives a team five call-up days. Would make it hard to find enough bodies to fill up minutes. Also helps explain why Moore hasn't been called up yet, though I still think he should have gotten some run.

Pavlov
01-20-2019, 01:22 AM
Me either. The FAQ doesn't disagree with you. But it seems like an obvious loophole. Only thing to stop is is that the 45 days are pro-rated, so signing a guy 80 percent into the season only gives a team five call-up days. Would make it hard to find enough bodies to fill up minutes. Also helps explain why Moore hasn't been called up yet, though I still think he should have gotten some run.Yeah, the prorating seems to do the trick and seriously it barely seems worth the effort as many players and agents aren't crazy about two-ways in the first place. That kind of abuse would keep both away from the team doing it.

alpha_HaZE
01-20-2019, 02:36 AM
Patty is not traded, so please cross that.

And I hope that Pau is traded as an expiring contract for someone like Allen Crabbe, but if he stays with the team we need him to produce. We need a 9 player rotation for the playoffs, that's; DeMar, LA, Rudy, Patty, Bryn, White, Davis, Jakob, Beli and you hope all 9 show up. Jakob has tons of potential but is also inconsistent. And who is to say that White, who has been more than solid for us recently, does not hit the rookie wall? We need Pau for the nights Jakob is not playing well, or White gets in foul trouble etc..

jiggy_55
01-20-2019, 06:40 AM
I haven’t seen mention of Vucevic. Do you think the spurs might be enticed to dangle a first round pick with Gasol to try and get him? He’s basically a young pau Gasol and has a soft touch, inside game, excellent rebounder, and can shoot the 3 ball so he can spread the floor while playing with LMA. His contract is expiring so there is risk of losing the pick for nothing but I’d assume Vuc wants a chance to be on a winning team for once in his career.

And we all know Pop still loves to go big at times so there aren’t many big men who are available and better than Vuc.

monty4329
01-20-2019, 07:08 AM

He was out of NBA until 5 days ago for a reason...

monty4329
01-20-2019, 07:11 AM
Patty is not traded, so please cross that.

And I hope that Pau is traded as an expiring contract for someone like Allen Crabbe, but if he stays with the team we need him to produce. We need a 9 player rotation for the playoffs, that's; DeMar, LA, Rudy, Patty, Bryn, White, Davis, Jakob, Beli and you hope all 9 show up. Jakob has tons of potential but is also inconsistent. And who is to say that White, who has been more than solid for us recently, does not hit the rookie wall? We need Pau for the nights Jakob is not playing well, or White gets in foul trouble etc..

so, we need Pau but you hope to trade him

monty4329
01-20-2019, 07:13 AM
I haven’t seen mention of Vucevic. Do you think the spurs might be enticed to dangle a first round pick with Gasol to try and get him? He’s basically a young pau Gasol and has a soft touch, inside game, excellent rebounder, and can shoot the 3 ball so he can spread the floor while playing with LMA. His contract is expiring so there is risk of losing the pick for nothing but I’d assume Vuc wants a chance to be on a winning team for once in his career.

And we all know Pop still loves to go big at times so there aren’t many big men who are available and better than Vuc.

I guess Orlando is looking for more than that

ceperez
01-20-2019, 09:57 AM
Spurs should need to burden themselves with an expensive contract.

Just need good enough players that understand the system.

Chinook
01-20-2019, 10:04 AM

I don't think Pop wants to go big anymore. He probably realized that Gay can't play the three without a mobile four to help out. I think he's trying to keep Gasol in the rotation as like a super sub, which to me suggests that he's on the verge of dropping him out of the rotation altogether. I still don't think he's looking to dump Pau for any old 6-8 guy, but I also think it's more likely than ever that he could trade Gasol within the next two or so weeks.

Trading for Vuc doesn't seem ideal. Like maybe those two guys can play together, but it's not going to be without its problems. I think they'd be lucky to maintain the same level on either side of the ball.

TheGreatYacht
01-20-2019, 10:26 AM

Perma. Ban.

ceperez
01-20-2019, 10:26 AM
I don't think Pop wants to go big anymore. He probably realized that Gay can't play the three without a mobile four to help out. I think he's trying to keep Gasol in the rotation as like a super sub, which to me suggests that he's on the verge of dropping him out of the rotation altogether. I still don't think he's looking to dump Pau for any old 6-8 guy, but I also think it's more likely than ever that he could trade Gasol within the next two or so weeks.

Trading for Vuc doesn't seem ideal. Like maybe those two guys can play together, but it's not going to be without its problems. I think they'd be lucky to maintain the same level on either side of the ball.

Spurs already have a 'any old 6-8 guy' in Cunningham.

The only reason to trade Pau is to get some long term assets. I can't see how Aldridge, DeRozan and Gay are going to be good enough to take this team past GSW. Maybe next season when GSW has one or two all-stars leaving the roster. Spurs are basically developing guys like White, Forbes, Bertans and Poetl. Guys like Pau, Mills and Belinelli are there to show them how to play in the NBA.

The problem with Aldridge, DeRozan and Gay are that there aren't any Spurs players that are poor man versions of them. Well maybe if you think of Walker as a poor man's DeRozan and Metu as a poor man's Aldridge. I think these 3 are just rentals that keeps the Spurs competitive.

With the Spurs roster, I would not be surprised if they get to the Western conference finals, but that's the best they can achieve this season. Any team in the West will be happy to make the conference finals. Nobody is getting past GSW though.

alpha_HaZE
01-20-2019, 10:09 PM
so, we need Pau but you hope to trade him

We need a 10th rotation player, for the reasons that I explained, and I hope we trade Pau to get that player. But if not, then Pau got be that guy for us.

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-20-2019, 11:25 PM
DDR for Parker

ace3g
01-21-2019, 05:18 PM
Melo to the Bulls

marinoman
01-21-2019, 05:34 PM
According to woj bulls won’t keep him. If he clears waivers I expect he will be a laker

BillMc
01-21-2019, 07:08 PM
According to woj bulls won’t keep him. If he clears waivers I expect he will be a laker

The dude needs to retire.

marinoman
01-21-2019, 07:44 PM
The dude needs to retire.
Maybe this is his version of a farewell tour and he’s gonna sign with as many teams as possible

rasuo214
01-21-2019, 08:12 PM

Just want to point out I said the Spurs should have traded Pau for Crabbe and one (or both) of Portland's picks during the 2017 off-season when they wanted to dump Crabbe's contract. Spurs could have drafted Kuzma/John Collins along with White.

In fact if the Spurs made the 2 trades I mentioned during the 2017 off-season + not re-signing Mills the team would be:

Mudiay/White/Forbes
DDR/Marco/Crabbe (expiring this year, so a valuable trade piece)
Gay/Johnson/Bertans
Collins(Kuzma)/ Bertans
Drummond/ Poeltl

Walker and Murray as well but not part of the DC.

Although I wouldn't have done the DDR trade but either way the team would have been a lot better and younger.

Spurs should have done what Sean Marks was smart enough to do. Take on young guys with shitty contracts for cheap instead of banking on imaginary FA signings. The Nets went from an awful team in an awful situation without their own picks, to a young, up and coming team with talent.

cutewizard
01-22-2019, 04:39 AM

Manimal to the Spurs...

lebomb
01-22-2019, 07:36 AM
Damn yall come up with some shitty trades. :lmao

SpaceCoast Spursfan
01-22-2019, 08:48 AM
Bottom line is there probably isn't a trade out there that moves the needle much. I read an article that Hawks are willing to move Dedmon for the right offer, but any deal would probably involve the Spurs taking back Bazemore or Lin to make salaries match. I wouldn't be opposed to moving Gasol, Forbes, Cun, & Poindexter + TOR pick if we could bring back Bazemore, Dedmon, & Bembry + 2nd.

I think that's a better team this year, but may not be worth cap implications the following year as Spurs probably couldn't retain Dedmon, and could keep them from resigning Gay. Bazemore & Bembry contracts do parallel contract of DDR preserving flexibility after 2020

If the Spurs want to keep 1st round pick could probably do similar trade where Spurs send 2nd round pick and get back Bazemore, Dedmon, & Carter (I think Vince can be effective in small minutes on a decent team)

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 01:17 PM
With how the team is playing, other than adding an all-star which is next to impossible I don’t even know what they need that could actually help? They don’t need anymore depth.

Im all for trading away Mills/Pau for salary reasons and gaining flexibility but I don’t know of anyone I can think of that would crack the rotation honestly.

Degoat
01-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Confused why the spurs are always connected to Stanley Johnson lol

Duncan87
01-22-2019, 01:49 PM
Supposedly article I read Gm that drafted Johnson in Detroit now works for the Spurs in some way maybe some type of Gm or scout. Just familiarity guessing

MoSpur02
01-22-2019, 02:04 PM
There's an article stating Spure have interest in Tristan Thompson and Alec Burks

Chinook
01-22-2019, 02:09 PM
There's an article stating Spure have interest in Tristan Thompson and Alec Burks

Assuming it's not true, but that would suggest a Gasol deck-shuffling trade. Actually, it'd have to be Gasol and Mills for those two, unless Pop wants to add Gay into deals for just say eff it an deal DeRozan.

MoSpur02
01-22-2019, 02:12 PM
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/rumor-spurs-interested-in-cavs-tristan-thompson-alec-burks

Here is the link

sananspursfan21
01-22-2019, 02:33 PM
Allen Crabbe would fix our “I miss Danny” problem. Virtually the same player with a little more athleticism

NASpurs
01-22-2019, 02:36 PM
Stopped reading at Sam Amico.

Robz4000
01-22-2019, 02:39 PM
Allen Crabbe would fix our “I miss Danny” problem. Virtually the same player with a little more athleticism

Crabbe is a horrendous defender. Also hasn't played in months while getting near $20mil/year.

SpaceCoast Spursfan
01-22-2019, 02:40 PM
Assuming it's not true, but that would suggest a Gasol deck-shuffling trade. Actually, it'd have to be Gasol and Mills for those two, unless Pop wants to add Gay into deals for just say eff it an deal DeRozan.

Interesting for sure, from a total salary standpoint. I don't know which is tougher to believe that they would trade Patty or move on from DDR. Love Patty as a player but wouldn't be disappointed either way. Burks/Thompson fairly similar to Bazemore/Dedmon.

Of course with Spurs you never really know if just rumor or something actually there. Have you heard anything outside this article MoSpur?

TheGreatYacht
01-22-2019, 02:47 PM
Plenty of posters here are clueless and it shows. Crabbe is injured, he fucking blows on both sides, and he has a player option for 18.5M next year NOT an expiring contract.

Can we permaban posters that bring this scrub up in the future?

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 03:09 PM
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/rumor-spurs-interested-in-cavs-tristan-thompson-alec-burks

Here is the link

If Sa knows they are operating over the cap next year anyways, I can see them having interest in swapping Gasol for TT. TT is younger and if they view him as better, having TT on the books where Gasol’s money is, is one way to try and improve the team for next year and has no impact on anything beyond that anyways.

Also, as M4T has said, it would seem likely SA could even get a draft pick from CLE for that deal since it would save CLE from taxes which they should not be paying with a roster that bad.

DAF86
01-22-2019, 03:19 PM
With how the team is playing, other than adding an all-star which is next to impossible I don’t even know what they need that could actually help? They don’t need anymore depth.

Im all for trading away Mills/Pau for salary reasons and gaining flexibility but I don’t know of anyone I can think of that would crack the rotation honestly.

What? Yes, they do need more depth.

As of right now, the Spurs have only 9 NBA level players. Any injury to one of those and we are royally fucked, like we saw with the extended time Gay was out. And even without injuries, we all know Pop would rather go 10 deep.

sananspursfan21
01-22-2019, 03:27 PM
Crabbe is a horrendous defender. Also hasn't played in months while getting near $20mil/year.

The contract sucks but I’ve watched him play quite a bit in the past. Always looked good to me anyway.

sananspursfan21
01-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Saw some article with no legs or sources about Spurs interest in Tristan Thompson. At times, our offensive rebounding lacks. His contract is horrible too though

jermaine
01-22-2019, 03:37 PM
Saw some article with no legs or sources about Spurs interest in Tristan Thompson. At times, our offensive rebounding lacks. His contract is horrible too though

I'd lo e him

vavvi
01-22-2019, 03:44 PM
Let’s get nobody

jermaine
01-22-2019, 03:54 PM
T. Thompson for Pau! Win in my book

acoelho1
01-22-2019, 04:06 PM
I really like Alec Burks but he's been injury prone his entire career but still feel he has untapped potential. Nevertheless, I think standing pat makes sense if there is no 3 and d guy out there as a backup 3. If DDR would get back to playing like he was before, we have a solid "big" 3.

Dverde
01-22-2019, 04:22 PM
Cleveland has this SF that could prove useful...name is something Blossomgame. Spur should get him included.

phxspurfan
01-22-2019, 04:45 PM
Spurs aint doing shit bois...get used to the Holting Pattern (tm) again

Dex
01-22-2019, 06:03 PM
Cleveland has this SF that could prove useful...name is something Blossomgame. Spur should get him included.

Eh, they'd probably just keep him stashed in the GLeague for like three years.

r0drig0lac
01-22-2019, 06:59 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1087860357626916864

Chinook
01-22-2019, 07:01 PM
No interest in either. Conley would be more useful, but he's not worth the resources to get him, even if that's just cap space.

Degoat
01-22-2019, 07:04 PM
Would like the spurs to maybe trade for garret temple

Texas_Ranger
01-22-2019, 07:05 PM
pau and forbes for marc and mike. do it!

Robz4000
01-22-2019, 07:05 PM
Just bring back Fathead.

TheGreatYacht
01-22-2019, 07:06 PM
Do they want to salary dump them or get draft picks (lol)?

If they want to salary dump... Pau, Forbes, and Cunningham for Marc Gasol works.

TheGreatYacht
01-22-2019, 07:07 PM
Just bring back Fathead.
Permaban.

In two seasons that cancerous piece of shit has caused the Spurs to lose Kawhi, Parker, and Manu and now the Grizzlies to lose Gasol and Conley.

RD2191
01-22-2019, 07:20 PM
Permaban.

In two seasons that cancerous piece of shit has caused the Spurs to lose Kawhi, Parker, and Manu and now the Grizzlies to lose Gasol and Conley.

:lol

cd021
01-22-2019, 07:22 PM
The contract sucks but I’ve watched him play quite a bit in the past. Always looked good to me anyway.
Maybe because I listen to Dunc'd On but i'm pretty sure i've heard that he is a pretty bad defender or at least overratted several times before. Either way, not worth his $18.5 million dollar bill next season and I doubt the Spurs would be interested in paying that price.

Hoops Czar
01-22-2019, 07:23 PM
No interest in either. Conley would be more useful, but he's not worth the resources to get him, even if that's just cap space.
What resources?

cd021
01-22-2019, 07:25 PM
T. Thompson for Pau! Win in my book

Yuck. $18.5 million for Thompson next season. Spurs are much better off with Gay, Aldridge, Bertans and Poeltl.

Leetonidas
01-22-2019, 07:26 PM
What resources?

Considering he makes like 32 million a year, we would need to trade a good amount of salary. Which seems pretty unlikely given Conley is on the wrong side of 30, due 65 million over the next two years, and spurs have Murray/White. Why on earth would we even be interested in Conley

MoSpur02
01-22-2019, 07:28 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1087860357626916864

Hell no. Gasol is overrated. Aldridge is just fine. Conley is way overpaid and injury prone

cd021
01-22-2019, 07:31 PM
What? Yes, they do need more depth.

As of right now, the Spurs have only 9 NBA level players. Any injury to one of those and we are royally fucked, like we saw with the extended time Gay was out. And even without injuries, we all know Pop would rather go 10 deep.

9 good rotation players is pretty damn good tbh. There is always a risk of injury but this team's depth is the reason why they are 19-7 over their last 26 games.

Walker, Murray, and White went down and Forbes stepped up. Then White came back and proved that he's and NBA player. Poeltl was a 3rd string center but played well when Gasol went down and is now the back up five. I don't know how many playoff teams can say they have 9 quality NBA players in their rotation.

It would be nice to add a player like Carrol for Gasol but I wouldn't do any of the other trades that have been posted here.

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 07:35 PM
Yuck. $18.5 million for Thompson next season. Spurs are much better off with Gay, Aldridge, Bertans and Poeltl.

They could still have all those guys. TT’s money is really irrelevant unless Gay demands a hefty raise. The question is would you rather have Pau + the MLE, no Pau + the MLE or TT + the MLE?

ace3g
01-22-2019, 07:36 PM
https://twitter.com/vndsgn/status/1087806706455851008

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 07:38 PM
It will be interesting to see what MEM gets for Marc if it comes to that. Like I said, he’s still a very good player but the fact he has a player option has to scare teams away somewhat.

For MEM, they have to feel like they may just have to get anything for a guy who is leaving anyways.

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 07:40 PM
Spurs don’t need depth. You don’t give up first round picks for guys that don’t move the needle. Would having more depth be good? Sure, but they don’t need it.

But yeah, if you can give up Pau/Pondexter/Cunningham and maybe like a 2nd round pick to take a flier on someone younger, im fine with that.

MoSpur02
01-22-2019, 07:41 PM
Tristan Thompson is a very good rebounder. Especially on the offensive side. I haven't watched much Cavs basketball and wondering if he's developed any kind of three point shot? Can he guard stretch 4s?

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 07:45 PM
Tristan Thompson is a very good rebounder. Especially on the offensive side. I haven't watched much Cavs basketball and wondering if he's developed any kind of three point shot? Can he guard stretch 4s?

He has zero shot. He’s still good around the rim if spoonfed, but no real offensive game. Still great energy and rebounding.

Defense is still above average overall.

Spurs are 99% operating over the cap it appears for next year. So if that is the case, they will only have the MLE to improve, whether they waive Pau or not. If SA thinks TT is better than Pau, then it makes sense to do the deal and it should be a no brainer for CLE (unless they can get better offers).

SA, should probably get a pick in the deal, but even if they don’t, for reasons above, I can see how a Pau for TT deal makes sense if Pau can’t really net anything else.

Hoops Czar
01-22-2019, 07:49 PM
Considering he makes like 32 million a year, we would need to trade a good amount of salary. Which seems pretty unlikely given Conley is on the wrong side of 30, due 65 million over the next two years, and spurs have Murray/White. Why on earth would we even be interested in Conley
Exactly, not to mention their resources are tied into production so you can't just take out two or three rotation players and think the Spurs can make that up with an overpriced, injury prone pg who doesn't even fulfill a need beyond this year. Realistically, DeRozan would have to be part of any deal to make it work and there's just no way Pop would do that even if he had a need at the pg position.

ace3g
01-22-2019, 07:49 PM
I know it is just a highlight vid, but having another SF that can guard elite SFs would be greatly needed on this roster. Would help eliminate lineups with Patty and Forbes together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M408h-VNKs

Hoops Czar
01-22-2019, 07:51 PM
Spurs don’t need depth. You don’t give up first round picks for guys that don’t move the needle. Would having more depth be good? Sure, but they don’t need it.

But yeah, if you can give up Pau/Pondexter/Cunningham and maybe like a 2nd round pick to take a flier on someone younger, im fine with that.

Yeah, Me thinks Memphis won't be stupid enough to get Kwame Brown'd twice.

Chinook
01-22-2019, 07:57 PM
Cun and Metu for Johnson works salary-wise. I'm interested if folks balk at including Chim, especially if those same folks keep pushing for including the Toronto first in deals. Swapping out Metu for Pon and a second probably also works, but Detroit would probably value a Spurs big more than anything else they could give. It would not surprise me if Pop legit thinks Dante is a better player than Stan though, and wouldn't do that deal.

Something like Pau and the Toronto first for Temple and Green could work. But I don't see any reason to value the savings from Gasol's deal worth the price, and they don't really have anything in the middle to make up the difference. That pick is going to have legit draft value, I think. The team is winning themselves just out of range where a very good prospect HAS to fall to them, so having the mobility to hop up a few spots could make a huge difference in getting their forward of the future. Even if they stay put, it looks like some good players should still be around when they get to the bottom of the first. It's worth way more than role-players and cap savings in a year where the team is likely over the line anyway.

Thompson is okay player if you mean in the context of a guy to compete with Poeltl for minutes behind Aldridge. He's not a well-rounded guy though, and definitely not the mobile defender to fill out the starting unit. I wouldn't consider trading Pau for him a win for SA unless they got value out of the deal on top of Thompson. I really don't see Burks as that value, btb. He makes too much and doesn't really provide something the team is lacking. Either the Cavs have to give up prospects or a pick or they'll have to take back a contract like Mills to give SA financial incentive to do this deal. I personally would consider something around Thompson and Clarkson for Mills and Gasol, since it's salary-neutral and gives the Spurs extra money when they might really need it. But it's probably not what the Cavs are looking for.

DAF86
01-22-2019, 08:01 PM
9 good rotation players is pretty damn good tbh. There is always a risk of injury but this team's depth is the reason why they are 19-7 over their last 26 games.

Walker, Murray, and White went down and Forbes stepped up. Then White came back and proved that he's and NBA player. Poeltl was a 3rd string center but played well when Gasol went down and is now the back up five. I don't know how many playoff teams can say they have 9 quality NBA players in their rotation.

It would be nice to add a player like Carrol for Gasol but I wouldn't do any of the other trades that have been posted here.

9 good rotation players isn't good when the injury of just one of those 9 players sends you on a losing streak.

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 08:04 PM
Cun and Metu for Johnson works salary-wise. I'm interested if folks balk at including Chim, especially if those same folks keep pushing for including the Toronto first in deals. Swapping out Metu for Pon and a second probably also works, but Detroit would probably value a Spurs big more than anything else they could give. It would not surprise me if Pop legit thinks Dante is a better player than Stan though, and wouldn't do that deal.

Something like Pau and the Toronto first for Temple and Green could work. But I don't see any reason to value the savings from Gasol's deal worth the price, and they don't really have anything in the middle to make up the difference. That pick is going to have legit draft value, I think. The team is winning themselves just out of range where a very good prospect HAS to fall to them, so having the mobility to hop up a few spots could make a huge difference in getting their forward of the future. Even if they stay put, it looks like some good players should still be around when they get to the bottom of the first. It's worth way more than role-players and cap savings in a year where the team is likely over the line anyway.

Thompson is okay player if you mean in the context of a guy to compete with Poeltl for minutes behind Aldridge. He's not a well-rounded guy though, and definitely not the mobile defender to fill out the starting unit. I wouldn't consider trading Pau for him a win for SA unless they got value out of the deal on top of Thompson. I really don't see Burks as that value, btb. He makes too much and doesn't really provide something the team is lacking. Either the Cavs have to give up prospects or a pick or they'll have to take back a contract like Mills to give SA financial incentive to do this deal. I personally would consider something around Thompson and Clarkson for Mills and Gasol, since it's salary-neutral and gives the Spurs extra money when they might really need it. But it's probably not what the Cavs are looking for.

I think getting TT would be a win for Pau even without other compensation. I dont think it would be optimal, but still a win. TT is better than Pau (IMO) and his one year deal doesn’t functionally do anything to harm the Spurs. Spurs may not have room to improve much next season and I’d rather have TT + the MLE rather than Pau + the MLE (or no Pau + the MLE).

I think he could get minutes and would be a big improvement of Cunningham/Pondexter and probably Poeltl (at least for one season as Poeltl continues to develop).

But I agree SA * should * get compensation likely in the form of draft picks. It would save CLE so much money.

If I am SA the only way I am including any picks:

1) If you want to be a FA player and you can dump Mills/Pau and it takes a pick.

2) If you can swap Cunningham/Pon for a flier on a younger talent then it’s worth a 2nd rounder IMO. It’s not a necessary trade but it’s one I think is smart if they like a prospect with nba tape already.

3) If you can land an all-star and really go for it around LMA/DeRozan (least likely situation by far).

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 08:05 PM
Yeah, Me thinks Memphis won't be stupid enough to get Kwame Brown'd twice.

Was not talking about Marc but speaking on MEM/Marc, I really don’t know how much more they might be able to get for Marc with his contract situation.

It may turn out that an expiring contract + first round pick(s) is the best offer they get.

They look like they will be losing him for nothing next season in free agency anyways. His value will be driven down because of that.

Hoops Czar
01-22-2019, 08:06 PM

No, thety need lots of depth. They just don't have the assets/resources needed to bring in such depth.

Hoops Czar
01-22-2019, 08:07 PM
Was not talking about Marc but speaking on MEM/Marc, I really don’t know how much more they might be able to get for Marc with his contract situation.

It may turn out that an expiring contract + first round pick(s) is the best offer they get.

They look like they will be losing him for nothing next season in free agency anyways. His value will be driven down because of that.

My best guess would be both are on the Grizzlies at seasons end.

Chinook
01-22-2019, 08:09 PM
Really wish folks stopped acting like Leonard is the same as James, Durant or Giannis. All of those guys have legit PF size (as in, they could have played the position two decades ago). Leonard wouldn't be out of place playing the two. That's not a statement on his skill-set, but he doesn't present the same defensive challenge the others do, because almost every team has a guy who can physically match up with him. Leonard isn't that hard to guard so long as you accept you're not going to shut him down. You take away easy looks, avoid fouling and cover up the passing lanes, and you'll be fine. Leonard is one of the best scorers in the NBA. but you can do enough to make it to where his team doesn't score enough to beat a good offense on the other end.

All this is to say that Johnson guarding Leonard well means nothing to me. White guarded him well too. Johnson repeatedly having good defensive games against those other guys would be a much bigger deal. Those are the players where the team has a hole (too big for White, too fast for Gay and too good for DeRozan). If a guy isn't able to fill that niche, then he's just luxury depth. Not worthless, but not really a need.

DPG21920
No, thety need lots of depth. They just don't have the assets/resources needed to bring in such depth.

Disagree on both counts. Spurs have great promising youth, expiring deals and multiple first round picks. They have more than enough to get depth. They just don’t need it.

ace3g
Thinking of all the awesome/versatile lineups if we added Stanley Johnson.

LMA, Beli, Bertans, DeRozan, Gay, Patty, Poeltl, White, and Johnson would be my 9-man playoff rotation.

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 08:10 PM
Really wish folks stopped acting like Leonard is the same as James, Durant or Giannis. All of those guys have legit PF size (as in, they could have played the position two decades ago). Leonard wouldn't be out of place playing the two. That's not a statement on his skill-set, but he doesn't present the same defensive challenge the others do, because almost every team has a guy who can physically match up with him. Leonard isn't that hard to guard so long as you accept you're not going to shut him down. You take away easy looks, avoid fouling and cover up the passing lanes, and you'll be fine. Leonard is one of the best scorers in the NBA. but you can do enough to make it to where his team doesn't score enough to beat a good offense on the other end.

All this is to say that Johnson guarding Leonard well means nothing to me. White guarded him well too. Johnson repeatedly having good defensive games against those other guys would be a much bigger deal. Those are the players where the team has a hole (too big for White, too fast for Gay and too good for DeRozan). If a guy isn't able to fill that niche, then he's just luxury depth. Not worthless, but not really a need.

Exactly (on the overall sentiment - not Kawhi). I mean, if the cost is Cunningham or Pondexter and a 2nd round pick, I’m ok taking fliers on guys younger to see if they actually possess anyupside. But it’s not a priority.

lmbebo
01-22-2019, 08:13 PM
Would love to get Johnson ... Think its doable...

Not sure if anyone can chime in on Rondae Hollis Jefferson.

Someone we could target?

Chinook
01-22-2019, 08:13 PM

They obviously don't need lots of depth. They have five unambiguously good players in White, DeRozan, Gay, Bertans and Aldridge and others in Mills, Forbes, Beli and Poeltl who are good enough for "depth" on any team. Gasol's in that category too, but he's not playing to that level now and could be left out. There will be playoff teams in the second round in both conferences with worse depth than that, if not in the third round.

And yeah, first-round picks are plenty in the way of assets to bring back depth. Look at any trade for a non-star and tell me those players went for more than expirings and a pick.

There's being pessimistic about the Spurs' talent and there's being unrealistic. Your argument is the latter.

Leetonidas
01-22-2019, 08:18 PM
Pistons desperately need a PG since Jackson has turned out poorly for them. I wouldn't be willing to part with White or Murray for Johnson and they won't take nor will Spurs trade Patty, and Forbes is not a PG. Don't see it happening unless Detroit makes a move for Conley and Spurs get in as a 3rd team

DAF86
01-22-2019, 08:18 PM

You don't need to give up a first for depth. Pau alone can get you a depth adding wing.

MoSpur02
01-22-2019, 08:24 PM
Forbes and Cunningham for Stanley Johnson would be great. Hate to see Fobes go (can't believe I'm saying that) because he's developing and may still improve some more, but we have a huge need at the SF position. Especially a defensive specialist. I wouldn't want to trade Metu because he's still raw and I see potential in him.

DAF86
01-22-2019, 08:24 PM
And if the depth can't be added via trade I would like to try some G-leaguers out. What can we possibly lose by cutting Pondexter and bringing Ben Moore up? Absolutely nothing. I still don't understand how a move like this hasn't been made yet.

Chinook
01-22-2019, 08:26 PM
Pistons desperately need a PG since Jackson has turned out poorly for them. I wouldn't be willing to part with White or Murray for Johnson and they won't take nor will Spurs trade Patty, and Forbes is not a PG. Don't see it happening unless Detroit makes a move for Conley and Spurs get in as a 3rd team

The Pistons wouldn't be trading Johnson with the expectation of getting a starter back. They'd be doing it just to recoup some value from a failed selection. I don't believe that Detroit would balk at Bryn coming back, actually. It's just not clear that Bryn for Johnson makes any sense for the Spurs without something coming back. I'd at least want their second, but the Spurs don't have any use for yet another pick in this draft, and Detroit doesn't really have another second to give for a while. I just don't see Johnson's value as being good at all. He's been a bad player this season, which I still don't think a lot of folks on this site understand. He'd grade out as the worst player on the Spurs.

Chinook
01-22-2019, 08:29 PM
And if the depth can't be added via trade I would like to try some G-leaguers out. What can we possibly lose by cutting Pondexter and bringing Ben Moore up? Absolutely nothing. I still don't understand how a move like this hasn't been made yet.

No reason to cut Pon for that. Ben could be called up at any time. Still wondering what Pop is saving him for, because as Lonnie gets healthier and especially once the d-league season ends, there'll be no reason to not have Walker with the big club. Essentially, if there's a time to play Moore, it'll be over the next month or so. btb, after the d-league season ends, it's my understanding that two-way players get unlimited call-ups. So even if the goal is to wait until April, there's no need.

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 08:30 PM
Yeah, SJ has not been good at all his entire career so far. I don’t understand where people say he has value. He may develop more and a change of scenery could help, but he looks busty at this point.

Hoops Czar
01-22-2019, 08:37 PM
They obviously don't need lots of depth. They have five unambiguously good players in White, DeRozan, Gay, Bertans and Aldridge and others in Mills, Forbes, Beli and Poeltl who are good enough for "depth" on any team. Gasol's in that category too, but he's not playing to that level now and could be left out. There will be playoff teams in the second round in both conferences with worse depth than that, if not in the third round.

And yeah, first-round picks are plenty in the way of assets to bring back depth. Look at any trade for a non-star and tell me those players went for more than expirings and a pick.

There's being pessimistic about the Spurs' talent and there's being unrealistic. Your argument is the latter.

DeRozan is an egregiously overpaid regular season stat padder who doesn't make his team better, Gay is injury plagued and out of a contract at seasons end, Mills and Forbes are TRASH, Beli only plays one side of the ball, Bertans is just a shooter and Poeltl is hit or miss. White shows promise and Murray is completely unproven with a flat jump shot. I'm sorry, we have different definitions of the word depth.

Have we finally come to the realization that the Spurs are officially playoff fodder as if we're now comparing them to the "other" teams that Spurs fans made fun of because their fans had unrealistic dreams of championship contention? Those teams with worse or similar depth doesn't change the fact that the Spurs have a very flawed roster with Aldridge being the only consistently healthy two-way player.

The Spurs don't have much of a future beyond the next three years so trading away draft picks for what would amount to short term success would be a very bad idea for a team that's closer to a rebuild than a championship.

slick'81
01-22-2019, 08:42 PM
Yeah, SJ has not been good at all his entire career so far. I don’t understand where people say he has value. He may develop more and a change of scenery could help, but he looks busty at this point.

His 3 point shooting % is def worrisome.Does seem poodle esque as busty at this point

Chinook
01-22-2019, 08:51 PM
DeRozan is an egregiously overpaid regular season stat padder who doesn't make his team better, Gay is injury plagued and out of a contract at seasons end, Mills and Forbes are TRASH, Beli only plays one side of the ball, Bertans is just a shooter and Poeltl is hit or miss. White shows promise and Murray is completely unproven with a flat jump shot. I'm sorry, we have different definitions of the word depth.

Yes, you have an unrealistic idea of what depth is. DeRozan being overpaid has literally nothing to do with depth. Gay leaving the team this summer has even less to do with depth. One-sided players, inconsistent players, they're fine for your depth players. Those are guys to compete with players like Gerald Green and Jerami Grant. They aren't supposed to fill DeRozan's role in the rotation.

Have we finally come to the realization that the Spurs are officially playoff fodder as if we're now comparing them to the "other" teams that Spurs fans made fun of because their fans had unrealistic dreams of championship contention? Those teams with worse or similar depth doesn't change the fact that the Spurs have a very flawed roster with Aldridge being the only consistently healthy two-way player.

This is irrelevant to the discussion of depth. If the Spurs are in a non-contending season, it's not because they don't have enough good players. It's because they lack a third star. Stars aren't depth in anyone's definition except for maybe yours. The Sixers didn't trade for Jimmy Butler because they lacked depth.

The Spurs don't have much of a future beyond the next three years so trading away draft picks for what would amount to short term success would be a very bad idea for a team that's closer to a rebuild than a championship.

So here you've come to the point you were refuting just a few posts ago. The Spurs shouldn't trade away picks if it's not for a star. DPG didn't say that assuming SA had a star-level package to offer. He said that to discourage trades that won't push the Spurs to the next level, meaning trades for depth. The Spurs can be the team they are (4-8 with a chance to make the WCF if everything breaks for them but could be bounced in the first round with a bad draw), without any depth trades. If Johnson doesn't make put them in the top three, why do the trade at all?

MoSpur02
01-22-2019, 09:19 PM
If the Spurs are looking to trade for someone, I prefer getting Bazemore instead of Stanley Johnson or Alec Burks. Derozan's shot/offense worries me. I think a consistent three point shooter such as Bazemore would help much more if they're point in trading for someone is to compete this season. The Spurs need a legit defender on the wing as well. To me Bazemore solves both of those issues.

Johnson is the cheaper option, but he has proven much. Not sure he can improve this team that much.

I don't see a need for a center like Marc Gasol. I think Poeltl is better than Gasol or at least will get better with more playing time.

SpaceCoast Spursfan
01-22-2019, 09:39 PM
Just for kicks here are a few trades from ESPN trade board:

NY Blockbuster
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ydc8xys3

Pistons/spurs SJ variation
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yccshytu

Spurs/Suns deal (Spurs include 1st rounder)
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7ujhddu

Hawks/Spurs Linsanity

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9z3mqkv

Of course there are many others but these caught attention because either had been discussion, were some what interesting, and/or funny.

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 09:43 PM
Look, I like Jakob, but Marc is far superior. That doesnt mean he would be easy to integrate or would fit well, but he’s way closer to a third star than Jakob.

To me, getting a third star on a deal that lines up with DeMar/LMA is very tough and I can see SA taking a swing if the cost is something like Pau + picks (not that I’m saying I think that is smart) then I can see SA trying something like that IF, IF the goal is to win now.

They have to take some risks IF that is the mindset. They have to add to LMA/DeRozan. They might not be willing to do that for Marc or otherwise and opt instead to do the winbuild they have been doing. But we shall see.

Chinook
01-22-2019, 09:46 PM

NY Blockbuster

Hawks/Spurs Linsanity

Of course there are many others but these caught attention because either had been discussion, were some what interesting, and/or funny.

The first two are dookie-and-a-half. The Suns one is awful unless the Spurs love Jackson (otherwise, they're paying two firsts and making their roster worse for no reason). The final deal is good for SA but not appealing to the Hawks unless the Spurs give a pick, and if the Spurs give a pick, it no longer makes sense for them. Had Atlanta done the right thing and drafted Luka, then Forbes would probably be appealing to them. But he's redundant with Young to say the least.

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 09:47 PM

NY Blockbuster

Hawks/Spurs Linsanity

Hate them all except Suns (I would absolutely do that) and Hawks (would probably do that)

Hoops Czar
01-22-2019, 09:49 PM
Yes, you have an unrealistic idea of what depth is. DeRozan being overpaid has literally nothing to do with depth. Gay leaving the team this summer has even less to do with depth. One-sided players, inconsistent players, they're fine for your depth players. Those are guys to compete with players like Gerald Green and Jerami Grant. They aren't supposed to fill DeRozan's role in the rotation.

It's probably your faulty reading comprehension but I was responding to your post about the Spurs having five unambiguously good players in White, DeRozan, Gay, Bertans and Aldridge. Nowhere did I mention the words "depth" and "DeRozan" in the same sentence though pound for pound, DeRozan might be classified as one of the worst "stars" in the decade as it is really rare to see a career net negative player playing for a pair of 50 win RS teams. Good player? Sure, when he's engaged for a week here or a week there between the months of October and mid April but that's the true definition of depth. Good players are part of a team's depth. Not sure why you put Bertans in the same category with Aldridge, White, Gay and DeRozan. He is by your definition alone, the truest form of depth.. At least stay consistent with your argument.

This is irrelevant to the discussion of depth. If the Spurs are in a non-contending season, it's not because they don't have enough good players. It's because they lack a third star. Stars aren't depth in anyone's definition except for maybe yours. The Sixers didn't trade for Jimmy Butler because they lacked depth.

They lack a second star but I think your definition of "good" is a bit blurry. Stars aren't depth clown shoes but good players are. Good players are what creates depth. I've never heard a person ever refer to a scrub as part of a team's depth except possibly you.

So here you've come to the point you were refuting just a few posts ago. The Spurs shouldn't trade away picks if it's not for a star. DPG didn't say that assuming SA had a star-level package to offer. He said that to discourage trades that won't push the Spurs to the next level, meaning trades for depth. The Spurs can be the team they are (4-8 with a chance to make the WCF if everything breaks for them but could be bounced in the first round with a bad draw), without any depth trades. If Johnson doesn't make put them in the top three, why do the trade at all?

Nope. What I'm saying is draft picks are more valuable to the Spurs future than a middling role player who may add a small amount of depth in the present. There isn't a single player on the market that could make the Spurs anymore of a contender than they are right now. If everything breaks right and the Spurs' role players like Mills, Forbes Bertans, Poeltle, postseason DeRozan, etc overachieve and true contenders like the Warriors play down to the level of the competition, who knows what might happen but the little bump they might receive from a trade/buy out won't make much of a difference unless the Spurs were somehow able to trade Matt Bonner for Trevor Ariza. Washington would get a guy who likes to eat sandwiches and tell halftime jokes and the Spurs would be getting a solid 3 and D guy.

You of all people should know by now how the Spurs do business yet you're one of the front runners in the trade deadline thread every year. Either you have a lot of time on your hands or you're a little kid standing in candy store who just wants to believe this year will be different.

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 09:53 PM
The first two are dookie-and-a-half. The Suns one is awful unless the Spurs love Jackson (otherwise, they're paying two firsts and making their roster worse for no reason). The final deal is good for SA but not appealing to the Hawks unless the Spurs give a pick, and if the Spurs give a pick, it no longer makes sense for them. Had Atlanta done the right thing and drafted Luka, then Forbes would probably be appealing to them. But he's redundant with Young to say the least.

Disagree on the Suns one: Ryan would help the team more than Pau IMO (at least regular season) and his money is what it is (just one more season and we can pretend SA would be keeping Pau instead of waiving him). Jamal Crawford is not any good, but still better than Pondexter and can provide the same offense Mills does in general.

I would much rather have Josh money than Mills money for the upside alone and its all team options if things go way south for a quick reset after next season.

I mean, I am probably in the minority, but Josh has shown enough to where giving up the two late firsts is fair enough to see what hes made of.

YGWHI
01-22-2019, 09:58 PM
I feel bad for this Griz rebuilding but Mike and Marc have always been my guys. Just do it, RC!

Chinook
01-22-2019, 10:01 PM
It's probably your faulty reading comprehension but I was responding to your post about the Spurs having five unambiguously good players in White, DeRozan, Gay, Bertans and Aldridge.

Nothing to do with me. It's you trying to get off topic to make this about how bad you think the Spurs are in general. It's old and tired enough on its own, but in this case, it's very irrelevant. If your star sucks, then your star sucks, but he has nothing to do with depth.

Not sure why you put Bertans in the same category with Aldridge, White, Gay and DeRozan. He is by your definition alone, the truest form of depth.. At least stay consistent with your argument.

Because Bertans is a legit good player. He's not on the level of Gerald Green. He's at the same level as PJ Tucker, who's probably the fourth-best player on the Rockets.

They lack a second star but I think your definition of "good" is a bit blurry. Stars aren't depth clown shoes but good players are. Good players are what creates depth. I've never heard a person ever refer to a scrub as part of a team's depth except possibly you.

Shitty attempt at a turn-around. You think guys like Mills, Beli and Poeltl aren't comparable to the 6-8 of most playoff teams, and it says more about your knowledge of other teams than it does about them. You're definition of a scrub includes who put up numbers that makes them comfortably top-60 at their position. That is unrealistic passed off as critical.

Nope. What I'm saying is draft picks are more valuable to the Spurs future than a middling role player who may add a small amount of depth in the present.

Yes, otherwise known as that point you were just refuting a few posts ago. You using more critical language doesn't change the point; it just colors it to your normal temperament.

You of all people should know by now how the Spurs do business yet you're one of the front runners in the trade deadline thread every year. Either you have a lot of time on your hands or you're a little kid standing in candy store who just wants to believe this year will be different.

Or maybe I enjoy speculating without having to feel like PATFO will listen. I don't know what you get out of sports forums, but I certainly don't come in expecting PATFO to make decisions based on what I say. I can believe a move would be good for the Spurs while not believing such a move is possible. Moreover, I can believe PATFO won't make a move without pulling a you and believing they CAN'T if they wanted to. It's actually hilarious that you're even trying to accuse me of expecting a trade to happen when you replied to posts essentially saying the Spurs don't have any reason to make a trade in the first place. Kid in a candy store?

SpaceCoast Spursfan
01-22-2019, 10:14 PM
Disagree on the Suns one: Ryan would help the team more than Pau IMO (at least regular season) and his money is what it is (just one more season and we can pretend SA would be keeping Pau instead of waiving him). Jamal Crawford is not any good, but still better than Pondexter and can provide the same offense Mills does in general.

I would much rather have Josh money than Mills money for the upside alone and its all team options if things go way south for a quick reset after next season.

I mean, I am probably in the minority, but Josh has shown enough to where giving up the two late firsts is fair enough to see what hes made of.

The Sun's deal was interesting just because I hadn't thought of JJ. Really comes down to how you feel about Josh, and I really don't know. At times I have thought he had really high ceiling and other times just doesn't look good.

As far as Hawks go, I think the Spurs could pull off a trade for Dedmon/Bazemore which I would prefer over J Lin and I think the Hawks would have more interest in moving Bazemore to free up cap space this off-season.

Chinook
01-22-2019, 10:16 PM

Anderson isn't helping anybody anymore. He's no more a PF on defense than Pau is, and giving him minutes will make it harder for Gay to do his job. Spurs already have a more ideal Anderson in Bertans. You're also continuously under the impression that the Spurs have a lot of financial flexibility next season if they take on salary like Anderson. They don't. They'd have to make pretty tight decisions if they did this trade and paid the full MLE next year. It would depend on the Spurs' draft slot to see if they had enough to pay Gay even what he made this year -- and that's assuming the Toronto pick goes out. The only way to get breathing room would be to cut Anderson, but you still are in a situation where you'll have barely any room under the tax. To get real space, you'd have to stretch him, which goes against your idea of it only being a one-year thing.

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=20949123875c47dc6f268de797855470

To be clear, the Spurs could work around that salary. They could play hardball with Gay, or they could stash their pick, or they could not use the full MLE. But those are real compromises the team has to make. This isn't painless, and if the team is giving up a first too, it has to be worth more than just a middling SF.

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 10:19 PM
Anderson isn't helping anybody anymore. He's no more a PF on defense than Pau is, and giving him minutes will make it harder for Gay to do his job. Spurs already have a more ideal Anderson in Bertans. You're also continuously under the impression that the Spurs have a lot of financial flexibility next season if they take on salary like Anderson. They don't. They'd have to make pretty tight decisions if they did this trade and paid the full MLE next year. It would depend on the Spurs' draft slot to see if they had enough to pay Gay even what he made this year -- and that's assuming the Toronto pick goes out. The only way to get breathing room would be to cut Anderson, but you still are in a situation where you'll have barely any room under the tax. To get real space, you'd have to stretch him, which goes against your idea of it only being a one-year thing.

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=20949123875c47dc6f268de797855470

To be clear, the Spurs could work around that salary. They could play hardball with Gay, or they could stash their pick, or they could not use the full MLE. But those are real compromises the team has to make. This isn't painless, and if the team is giving up a first too, it has to be worth more than just a middling SF.

Meh. I know the Spurs situation however I am making some assumptions. Im not too worried about Gay which is why I’m saying what I’m saying. Would be fine if he stayed, would also be fine if he just walked.

With regards to Ryan, I know his defense sucks but so does Pau. Spurs have Bertans now so having Ryan instead of Pau doesn’t change anything there and I just think Ryan fits better next to LMA or whomever offensively even if it’s just in Pau’s spot minutes.

I’m also higher on Josh Jackson than most.

Chinook
01-22-2019, 10:24 PM
Meh. I know the Spurs situation however I am making some assumptions. Im not too worried about Gay which is why I’m saying what I’m saying. Would be fine if he stayed, would also be fine if he just walked.

With regards to Ryan, I know his defense sucks but so does Pau. Spurs have Bertans now so having Ryan instead of Pau doesn’t change anything there and I just think Ryan fits better next to LMA or whomever offensively even if it’s just in Pau’s spot minutes.

I’m also higher on Josh Jackson than most.

I like Josh a good deal and think he needs out of Phoenix ASAP. But I think you have to REALLY like him for this to make sense. What I'm saying is that the Spurs are paying a hefty price by doing this deal. Anderson's not cheap, and the Spurs could be adding a decent amount of salary this upcoming summer just through natural growth. They aren't going to punt next year when that could be their last with any semblance of star power for quite some time.

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 10:32 PM
I like Josh a good deal and think he needs out of Phoenix ASAP. But I think you have to REALLY like him for this to make sense. What I'm saying is that the Spurs are paying a hefty price by doing this deal. Anderson's not cheap, and the Spurs could be adding a decent amount of salary this upcoming summer just through natural growth. They aren't going to punt next year when that could be their last with any semblance of star power for quite some time.

Pau + Mills money is the same as Josh + Ryan so to me it really makes no difference. So yeah, Anderson isn’t cheap, but if we assume SA won’t just waive Pau to be further under the tax/be able to pay Rudy a ton, then he’s on the books because waiving him doesn’t help them add to the team.

The only real salary add next year is Rudy and MLE. At the end of the day I think Josh + Ryan not only help SA win more now, but JJ fits the winbuild plan as well.

Also not to mention I think Josh will be an infinitely better trade piece vs Mills or the after draft picks in the event SA wants to try and add a third star for the last 2 years of LMA/DeRozan.

Chinook
01-22-2019, 10:43 PM
Pau + Mills money is the same as Josh + Ryan so to me it really makes no difference.

It's more than a $4-Million difference.

if we assume SA won’t just waive Pau to be further under the tax/be able to pay Rudy a ton, then he’s on the books because waiving him doesn’t help them add to the team.

I have zero reason to believe the Spurs wouldn't waive Pau because they know they can get a replacement for cheap and want to go with Poeltl. I'm not going to say I know Pop's mind, but unless Gasol takes back a rotation spot on a successful team, there's no reason to pay him. Even if they want to keep him, they'd save money waiving him and re-signing him. The Spurs have carried dead money on their books for years now. They aren't going to be afraid to do it again.

The only real salary add next year is Rudy and MLE. At the end of the day I think Josh + Ryan not only help SA win more now, but JJ fits the winbuild plan as well.

Rudy's raise, the MLE and the pick are like $15 Million in salary. It's not a small add in the least. The tax is only increasing by $8 Million. Anderson definitely isn't going to help them win now, so I don't get why you keep thinking he'd be a plus over Pau there. At least Pau can fill in at center if Aldridge has to rest. That's way better than Anderson being slow on defense and one-note on offense. If you think Jackson is going to be a consistent starter for years, then year, it could be a good trade just for that. But if he's the 10th man, then I'd rather just sign a guy with the MLE and move on.

talkspurs
01-22-2019, 10:47 PM

I dont see the 2 first. I see a first rd included but dont see where the 2nd is. I actually had thought of something like this except I would change out crawford for Bender and Put Cunningham for Pondexter (for money reason). Phoenix has not played bender up until ayton got hurt so I think they might get rid of him. Would give Spurs a year to see what they like. I also agree that throwing in a pick especially Toronto pick would be worth it. We also get the SF with Jackson who is good Defense and has shown with PT can be good.
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y78khm6h

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 10:53 PM
It's more than a $4-Million difference.

I have zero reason to believe the Spurs wouldn't waive Pau because they know they can get a replacement for cheap and want to go with Poeltl. I'm not going to say I know Pop's mind, but unless Gasol takes back a rotation spot on a successful team, there's no reason to pay him. Even if they want to keep him, they'd save money waiving him and re-signing him. The Spurs have carried dead money on their books for years now. They aren't going to be afraid to do it again.

Rudy's raise, the MLE and the pick are like $15 Million in salary. It's not a small add in the least. The tax is only increasing by $8 Million. Anderson definitely isn't going to help them win now, so I don't get why you keep thinking he'd be a plus over Pau there. At least Pau can fill in at center if Aldridge has to rest. That's way better than Anderson being slow on defense and one-note on offense. If you think Jackson is going to be a consistent starter for years, then year, it could be a good trade just for that. But if he's the 10th man, then I'd rather just sign a guy with the MLE and move on.

4M?

Ryan + Josh = 28.3M (21.2 for Ryan + 7.1 for Josh)

Pau + Mills = 28.4M (16 for Pau + 12.4 for Mills)

What am I missing here?

Chinook
01-22-2019, 10:55 PM
4M?

Ryan + Josh = 28.3M (21.2 for Ryan + 7.1 for Josh)

Pau + Mills = 28.4M (16 for Pau + 12.4 for Mills)

What am I missing here?

You're assuming the Spurs wouldn't use Pau's partial guarantee, even though they put it in the contract. If you take the guaranteed money, the difference is just over $4 Million.

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 11:15 PM
You're assuming the Spurs wouldn't use Pau's partial guarantee, even though they put it in the contract. If you take the guaranteed money, the difference is just over $4 Million.

I see where you were coming from. I mean, it all just depends like you said on the value placed on Josh and also what the real plan for SA is (win now to the best of their ability or hybrid approach)

I just like it because you get JJ and you still have the same exact 2020 cap space trajectory

BD24
01-22-2019, 11:22 PM
Agree, not sure what all the hype around him is about.

He has never posted a fg% above 40 and his 3P % has been lower than 30 every season but his rookie year. He is an above average defender, but wouldn't call him elite by any means. He is also a surprisingly poor rebounder for his size and position. You would think with his size he would be able to rebound pretty well if nothing else.

Hoops Czar
01-22-2019, 11:43 PM
Nothing to do with me. It's you trying to get off topic to make this about how bad you think the Spurs are in general. It's old and tired enough on its own, but in this case, it's very irrelevant. If your star sucks, then your star sucks, but he has nothing to do with depth.

You're goalpost moving would make Ronaldo proud. when your star isn't a star and is basically a high usage role player with a career net negative, they turn into depth as long as that said player doesn't try to take it upon himself to hero ball his team to victory. It's tiring that you don't have a lick of common sense to know that good players ARE in fact depth.

Because Bertans is a legit good player. He's not on the level of Gerald Green. He's at the same level as PJ Tucker, who's probably the fourth-best player on the Rockets.

He's depth! Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Shitty attempt at a turn-around. You think guys like Mills, Beli and Poeltl aren't comparable to the 6-8 of most playoff teams, and it says more about your knowledge of other teams than it does about them. You're definition of a scrub includes who put up numbers that makes them comfortably top-60 at their position. That is unrealistic passed off as critical.

Mills and Beli might be depth on a playoff team destined for a 1st round exit. Just ask Philly and San Antonio. I guess that depends on your expectations and how you use the depth. For instance, Using Mills as a backup pg for 33 minutes a game isn't adding to depth, it detracts from it.. It's like moving Manny Machado from third base where he is an elite defender to SS where he is a sub par defender. Mills isn't a pg and he adds zero depth to the position. Mills and Beli type talents are a dime a dozen and most playoff teams have at least one or both on a roster.

Yes, otherwise known as that point you were just refuting a few posts ago. You using more critical language doesn't change the point; it just colors it to your normal temperament.

You can spin it anyway you like but don't blame me for your lack of reading comprehension.

Or maybe I enjoy speculating without having to feel like PATFO will listen. I don't know what you get out of sports forums, but I certainly don't come in expecting PATFO to make decisions based on what I say. I can believe a move would be good for the Spurs while not believing such a move is possible. Moreover, I can believe PATFO won't make a move without pulling a you and believing they CAN'T if they wanted to. It's actually hilarious that you're even trying to accuse me of expecting a trade to happen when you replied to posts essentially saying the Spurs don't have any reason to make a trade in the first place. Kid in a candy store?

Speculate away! I don't mean to shit on your parade of fantasy and make believe. I think I would take your speculation a little more seriously if they weren't full of flatulence and bunk. Trades that are so one-sided and slanted in the Spurs direction because the only players you throw in a trade are the ones that have no redeeming value to the opposing team involved. Don't give me the Pau expiring bullshit. That's your simple excuse for everything. You can throw that in with the Parker, Anderson and the annual Matt Bonner trade proposals of yesteryear or fill in the scrub's name you want the Spurs to rid themselves of. From my point of view with my feet planted firmly on the ground, The Spurs don't have assets to pull off trades. By that, I mean the assets/depth/able bodies they have is currently tied to production and by trading pieces away, you're gaining depth in one area while creating holes somewhere else. This isn't a hard concept to understand.

cd021
01-22-2019, 11:44 PM
They could still have all those guys. TT’s money is really irrelevant unless Gay demands a hefty raise. The question is would you rather have Pau + the MLE, no Pau + the MLE or TT + the MLE?

I would rather have no Pau + the MLE. I don't think he'd be down with being the 3rd center and I don't love him playing alongside Aldridge when Gay is a much better fit in the modern NBA.

Spurs could draft or sign a vet big to fill out the center rotation and save a lot of money in the process.

DPG21920
01-22-2019, 11:46 PM
I would rather have no Pau + the MLE. I don't think he'd be down with being the 3rd center and I don't love him playing alongside Aldridge when Gay is a much better fit in the modern NBA.

Spurs could draft or sign a vet big to fill out the center rotation and save a lot of money in the process.

Why do people care about Spurs saving money? As long as they aren’t paying tax, TT will be far better than anyone they can sign to fill out the roster.

tbdog
01-22-2019, 11:57 PM
Why do people care about Spurs saving money? As long as they aren’t paying tax, TT will be far better than anyone they can sign to fill out the roster.

Because it will have a negative impact on the future salary cap and may result in unable to obtain a player they may fit better with some small movement.

Chinook
01-23-2019, 12:02 AM
You're goalpost moving would make Ronaldo proud. when your star isn't a star...

... then your problem is that you need a star, not that you need depth.

He's depth! Why is this so hard for you to understand?

If anything below the top-three is depth, then the Spurs have even more depth than you're trying to argue.

Mills and Beli might be depth on a playoff team destined for a 1st round exit. Just ask Philly and San Antonio. I guess that depends on your expectations and how you use the depth. For instance, Using Mills as a backup pg for 33 minutes a game isn't adding to depth, it detracts from it.. It's like moving Manny Machado from third base where he is an elite defender to SS where he is a sub par defender. Mills isn't a pg and he adds zero depth to the position. Mills and Beli type talents are a dime a dozen and most playoff teams have at least one or both on a roster.

If most playoff teams have one or two players comparable to the ones the Spurs have as part of their depth, then it sounds like SA has adequate depth.

You can spin it anyway you like but don't blame me for your lack of reading comprehension.

It's not anyone's fault but yours that you chose to challenge a point you agreed with. You're crying about spin when you said almost verbatim what DPG said.

Speculate away! I don't mean to shit on your parade of fantasy and make believe. I think I would take your speculation a little more seriously if they weren't full of flatulence and bunk. Trades that are so one-sided and slanted in the Spurs direction because the only players you throw in a trade are the ones that have no redeeming value to the opposing team involved. Don't give me the Pau expiring bullshit. That's your simple excuse for everything. You can throw that in with the Parker, Anderson and the annual Matt Bonner trade proposals of yesteryear or fill in the scrub's name you want the Spurs to rid themselves of. From my point of view with my feet planted firmly on the ground, The Spurs don't have assets to pull off trades. By that, I mean the assets/depth/able bodies they have is currently tied to production and by trading pieces away, you're gaining depth in one area while creating holes somewhere else. This isn't a hard concept to understand.

What was the last trade I proposed? Have I even proposed one in this thread? Anyway, it's pretty clear you simultaneously know little about the Spurs and even less about any team outside of the Spurs. You have trouble grasping the basic value concept and show no ability to back up your points with concrete examples. I asked you a very simple question about other trades, and you couldn't answer it. You don't want to answer it, because what interests you is finding new and creative ways to hammer home the same pessimistic points over and over. That's fine. But when you can't even read a thread to see my attitude toward it, it makes you look incompetent. I don't think you're incompetent, but I do think you realized pretty early in this conversation that your points were wrong-headed and continued to charge ahead anyway rather than just backing down. Now you're forced to pretend like the words in the thread aren't there and that arguments that should be really easy to support but have no evidence some how stand on their own.

DPG21920
01-23-2019, 12:03 AM
Because it will have a negative impact on the future salary cap and may result in unable to obtain a player they may fit better with some small movement.

TT would have absolutely no bearing on future salary cap and the ability to obtain a player.

Chinook
01-23-2019, 12:06 AM

Let's put it this way: I'd rather draft a big at 29 to replace Pau than stash a guy because Thompson is on the roster. Or they could bring over Milutinov. Moreover, I wouldn't mind the Spurs having the flexibility to take on salary in future trades or to have enough room under the tax to shuffle around the bottom of their rosters and cut guys with guaranteed money in a potential training-camp competition.

DPG21920
01-23-2019, 12:11 AM
Let's put it this way: I'd rather draft a big at 29 to replace Pau than stash a guy because Thompson is on the roster. Or they could bring over Milutinov. Moreover, I wouldn't mind the Spurs having the flexibility to take on salary in future trades or to have enough room under the tax to shuffle around the bottom of their rosters and cut guys with guaranteed money in a potential training-camp competition.

That’s fair, I’m just thinking TT is still a decent enough player to where that would not matter too much to me, but I see how people could value the above.

But the point remains, for next year, someone like TT has no bearing on future cap space. Next year is shot for cap space anyways unless SA unloads Pau/Mills. Then beyond that, TT is off the books just like Pau would be.

Degoat
01-23-2019, 12:12 AM
I highly doubt the TT trade happens but he is definitely a better pairing with the young players like Murray and white.

Degoat
01-23-2019, 12:13 AM
Also LA wouldn’t have to do any of the dirty work with TT here

Chinook
01-23-2019, 12:14 AM
btb, I did see a post a page or so ago where I replied to the various players discussed and technically proposed trades. I don't think anyone but Hoop could argue that those deals are wildly one-sided in the Spurs' favor.

Chinook
01-23-2019, 12:19 AM
That’s fair, I’m just thinking TT is still a decent enough player to where that would not matter too much to me, but I see how people could value the above.

But the point remains, for next year, someone like TT has no bearing on future cap space. Next year is shot for cap space anyways unless SA unloads Pau/Mills. Then beyond that, TT is off the books just like Pau would be.

If Aldridge were younger to where he still could play the four, maybe I'd consider Thompson's potential to play next to him worth the trade. As is, I just can't see if as positive or neutral to a win-now role. If the target year is 2020, then something were SA trades their tax room next year for cap space in 2020 (mainly by including that Mills/Clarkson swap), then that makes sense. As is, Cleveland won't add value to save money now that they're tanking. And I'd rather have someone on the roster who has more years of control given how volatile SA's front-court is after next season. The guard depth should be fine for years to come, but their bigs could all be gone very soon.

Realdeal1
01-23-2019, 12:21 AM
I want Marc gasol on this team.. highly unlikely but still would love for it to happen

Dverde
01-23-2019, 12:23 AM
Two interesting things about Tristan Thompson. Played at Texas like LMA. Same agency group as Dejounte Murray (Klutch). I think he is overpriced and a bad fit for this Spurs team.

Duncan87
01-23-2019, 12:34 AM
Good about TT he’s put up good numbers against Warriors ball club rebounding and battling with Dray could be used to guard Cuz

Chinook
01-23-2019, 12:47 AM
I dont see the 2 first. I see a first rd included but dont see where the 2nd is. I actually had thought of something like this except I would change out crawford for Bender and Put Cunningham for Pondexter (for money reason). Phoenix has not played bender up until ayton got hurt so I think they might get rid of him. Would give Spurs a year to see what they like. I also agree that throwing in a pick especially Toronto pick would be worth it. We also get the SF with Jackson who is good Defense and has shown with PT can be good.
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y78khm6h

I was the one who said "two firsts", and I guess DPG just let it flow through. I was counting the salary difference as worth another first. That's true if just looking at Anderson and Gasol, but factoring Mills in, it's not that big of a hit. Honestly, being able to send Mills out might make it a good deal regardless, even though the concerns I had are still valid. Jackson actually had a very strong game tonight, and he's been turning it around for a while now (I have him on my FBB teams). I'm a believer in Jackson and would likely trade a lot for him, but his value is going to go up. The only hope of grabbing him is if the Suns somehow love Mills. Otherwise, he's probably the least gettable SF on their roster, including Bridges (whom I don't think is on the table at all).

GusT15
01-23-2019, 01:13 AM
For everyone that entertains the thought of trading for Marc Gasol right now a couple of things they need to be aware of.

The Grizzlies are 1-12 in their last 13 for a reason.Their one win was against the Spurs for a reason.This Spurs team has a lot of weaknesses,adding Gasol to the roster fixes none of our weaknesses.

Marc Gasol has regressed a lot physically in the past couple of seasons.He is already starting to move like his brother at times.He is 34 years old,how long do you think he has before going full Pau?

Marc Gasol has a player option for 27millions for the 2019-2020 season.There is no way in hell he is not opting in for a team he would like to play for.

We should stay away from Marc Gasol and that is an understatement.

Hoops Czar
01-23-2019, 01:16 AM
... then your problem is that you need a star, not that you need depth.
Not necessarily a star, just role players that can be counted on daily and not intermittently.

If anything below the top-three is depth, then the Spurs have even more depth than you're trying to argue.

I don't know what the hell this even means. The T-Wolves play 11 guys over 20 minutes per game. The Warriors plays 6 guys over 20 minutes per game. Minnesota is 11th in the west while GS is first. Does that mean Minnesota has more depth than GS? :lol Knicks might be depth kings. They play 14 guys 15 min/game.

If most playoff teams have one or two players comparable to the ones the Spurs have as part of their depth, then it sounds like SA has adequate depth.

So why propose trades if the Spurs are good as is? If people are in here proposing trades, then the depth probably isn't as good as you think it is.

It's not anyone's fault but yours that you chose to challenge a point you agreed with. You're crying about spin when you said almost verbatim what DPG said.

DPG said the Spurs don't need depth. I said they do. Does that sound like an agreement?

What was the last trade I proposed? Have I even proposed one in this thread? Anyway, it's pretty clear you simultaneously know little about the Spurs and even less about any team outside of the Spurs. You have trouble grasping the basic value concept and show no ability to back up your points with concrete examples. I asked you a very simple question about other trades, and you couldn't answer it. You don't want to answer it, because what interests you is finding new and creative ways to hammer home the same pessimistic points over and over. That's fine. But when you can't even read a thread to see my attitude toward it, it makes you look incompetent. I don't think you're incompetent, but I do think you realized pretty early in this conversation that your points were wrong-headed and continued to charge ahead anyway rather than just backing down. Now you're forced to pretend like the words in the thread aren't there and that arguments that should be really easy to support but have no evidence some how stand on their own.

No, I apparently know more about the Spurs than you because the Spurs rarely make in season trades unless it's to accommodate an unhappy player. The last in-season trade deadline deals the Spurs made were

In 2014 - Nando De Colo acquired by Toronto for Austin Daye.
In 2012 - S-Jax acquired by Spurs for RJ (unique circumstances)
In 2010 - A conditional 2nd acquired by Spurs for Theo Ratcliffe
In 2007 - Melvin Ely acquired by Spurs for Eric Williams

Mind officially blown!!! :wow It's like the lights are on Chinook but nobodies home.

What was your question about other trades? You mean the two questions you posed at the start of the paragraph that I was suppose to answer before you hit reply? :lol You're right about the pessimistic part. Some times thick skulls are tough to crack so I need to keep hammering home the same point until I break sludge. I'm not going to turn into a campus cheerleader like you but I'll tell you what I'll do.. I'll try to be more open mined and optimistic about the Spurs going forward. I'll have many relapses along the way but as long as the Spurs win, I'll say mostly ​positive things.

hsnews
01-23-2019, 02:15 AM
I love NBA and the bsketball team and i wish chicago bulls to win all the NBA matches.

For latest news (https://hs.news/) and updates

cd021
01-23-2019, 03:16 AM

Because he won't likely play, and is overpaid. People complain about Gasol now, but it'll be the same thing unless Pop tries to go the two big route again which would be a disaster with Murray back, along with DeRozan in the SL.

For all we know Tyson Chandler may be interested in that role because he's at the tail end of his career and is apparently good friend's with Aldridge.

hombre
01-23-2019, 03:16 AM
No way I'm getting rick rolled.

cd021
01-23-2019, 09:31 AM
9 good rotation players isn't good when the injury of just one of those 9 players sends you on a losing streak.

That's not really true. Spurs lost to Memphis by 10 without Gay with DeRozan starting his recent trash play.

The following night they beat OKC then they lost to OKC without Gay and DeRozan continuing to play poorly.

They lost to Charlotte without Gay, Beli (who's been on fire recently) and DeRozan putting up 14 points on 15 attempts and 6 turnovers.

It's not like losing Gay alone caused them to lose those games. DeRozans slide coincides with Gay's injury. It's hard to win when your second option plays poorly and the third is out.

BackHome
01-23-2019, 10:22 AM
Don’t want no part of any of the Gasol brothers they are both done pretty much end of career

Duncan87
01-23-2019, 10:22 AM
Anyone wonder why all reports have Spurs looking for extra wing defender seems like they got plenty

Joseph Kony
01-23-2019, 11:04 AM
Anyone wonder why all reports have Spurs looking for extra wing defender seems like they got plenty
is that a joke?

RD2191
01-23-2019, 11:07 AM

:lol this fukin guy

Coach X
01-23-2019, 11:08 AM
Marc Gasol is not the DPY and All-Star player you remember. Watch him play now.

Do you get nervous watching our bigs posting up James Harden and the Rockets? You haven't seen Marc struggles in the post vs Dikembe Harden Mutombo.

PATFO.WON'T.MOVE.MILLS

Tristan Thompson already won a ring and started to decline. I don't think he's nothing else but a huge Center with a huge contract and no Championship hunger anymore. Pass.

Spurs need athletic forwards that don't hurt the offense.

Dverde
01-23-2019, 11:40 AM
Part of making a trade is forcing a player to come to SA. If we wait until players like Triston Thompson and Fat Gasol become free agents they’ll probably sign elsewhere. I don’t think either fit well with this team. I also agree they won’t trade Patty mid-season.

DAF86
01-23-2019, 11:42 AM
That's not really true. Spurs lost to Memphis by 10 without Gay with DeRozan starting his recent trash play.

The following night they beat OKC then they lost to OKC without Gay and DeRozan continuing to play poorly.

They lost to Charlotte without Gay, Beli (who's been on fire recently) and DeRozan putting up 14 points on 15 attempts and 6 turnovers.

It's not like losing Gay alone caused them to lose those games. DeRozans slide coincides with Gay's injury. It's hard to win when your second option plays poorly and the third is out.

One plyer gets injured and we have to change the entire complexion of the starting lineup because we have no other good options to keep the same structure of 1 true bigman and 1 long SF playing PF.

Chinook
01-23-2019, 11:54 AM
Not necessarily a star, just role players that can be counted on daily and not intermittently.

Not gonna win this one. If DeRozan sucks, then having solid depth won't make up for him.

I don't know what the hell this even means. The T-Wolves play 11 guys over 20 minutes per game. The Warriors plays 6 guys over 20 minutes per game. Minnesota is 11th in the west while GS is first. Does that mean Minnesota has more depth than GS? :lol Knicks might be depth kings. They play 14 guys 15 min/game.

Because you list Houston's fourth-best player a depth. The Spurs have nine players akin to rotational players on other teams. No matter what kind of spin you put on it, that's adequate depth.

So why propose trades if the Spurs are good as is? If people are in here proposing trades, then the depth probably isn't as good as you think it is.

Same reason you can't stop acting like the Spurs suck no matter how well they do. Some folks are like that. This isn't a homogeneous group at all. You even have a growing Murray/White division for no reason at all.

DPG said the Spurs don't need depth. I said they do. Does that sound like an agreement?

Yes. The disagreement is because you misinterpreted DPG's reasoning (not shocking). You thought he was saying the Spurs were a contender. He was saying no realistic trade could make them a contender, so they may as well stand pat. "They don't need depth" meant "They don't need a non star." Dude's stated multiple times that he wants the Spurs to "sell" some of their tax space next year and look at 2020 fresh. How does that sound like a guy who has blind ambitious of the Spurs winning a title?

No, I apparently know more about the Spurs than you because the Spurs rarely make in season trades unless it's to accommodate an unhappy player. The last in-season trade deadline deals the Spurs made were

Zero to do with anything. I asked you about the value of mid-season trades. You've consistently failed to back up your claim that expirings plus first-rounders are good enough capital to execute those trades. Moreover, you still don't seem to understand that I haven't said anything about the Spurs making trades except that they'd be able to if they wanted to. Saying "they don't want to" isn't a response we both agree that the Spurs aren't likely to make trades. We both agree that they need more work than just a depth trade. We agree that they should save their picks for the future. The only reason why we disagree is that you're not happy with the Spurs being just a playoff team and I am happy with them being just a playoff team for now.

I'm not going to turn into a campus cheerleader like you but I'll tell you what I'll do.. I'll try to be more open mined and optimistic about the Spurs going forward. I'll have many relapses along the way but as long as the Spurs win, I'll say mostly ​positive things.

I don't think you're a bad poster. I just think you really like being one of the more edgy characters on this site. That's fine when just talking about opinions about how the Spurs are going to do, how good so and so in, etc. But when we're talking about objective things like whether first-round picks are enough to get role-players in trades, your pessimism overshadows reality. Guys like Lou Williams and Bojan Bogdanovic show us that firsts are still very powerful, even when attached to undesirable players. Both of those teams took back bad money and gave up a legit rotation player just to get those picks. The Spurs have two picks like that and a lot of expiring salary. They could definitely make trades like that.

GusT15
01-23-2019, 11:54 AM
And here we go again with the Stanley Johnson rumors...

This is like deja vu,is this the 3d straight year the Spurs are interested in him? In his fourth year!!!

Someone in the front office has a hard on for this dude tbh

r0drig0lac
01-23-2019, 11:55 AM
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252327/Spurs-Interested-In-Trading-For-Wing

Chinook
01-23-2019, 11:58 AM
A couple of house-cleaning articles from RealGM's aggregator:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252328/Exec-Pau-Gasol-Doesnt-Have-Trade-Value

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252327/Spurs-Interested-In-Trading-For-Wing

Nothing we haven't heard. Don't think this changes anything. At best, it might suggest that RC is making rounds shopping Gasol for a wing. More likely, it seems like an unrelated executive was just asked a bunch of questions.

SpurSpike
01-23-2019, 12:07 PM
How about trading Pau Gasol back to the Bulls for Jabari Parker? We get a tall young wing defender they get a center since Robin Lopez may be shipped out soon and one of there other centers Wendall Carter Jr. is out 6-8 weeks with a busted thumb, they could maybe use another shaggy center? Salaries match...

GusT15
01-23-2019, 12:12 PM
How about trading Pau Gasol back to the Bulls for Jabari Parker? We get a tall young wing defender they get a center since Robin Lopez may be shipped out soon and one of there other centers Wendall Carter Jr. is out 6-8 weeks with a busted thumb, they could maybe use another shaggy center? Salaries match...

Tall young wing DEFENDER? Jabari Parker is a fat young Power Forward with 2 ACL's and he plays ZERO defence.

SpurSpike
01-23-2019, 12:21 PM
Tall young wing DEFENDER? Jabari Parker is a fat young Power Forward with 2 ACL's and he plays ZERO defence.

Don't know a lot about him honestly but saw he was listed as a SF/PF. He is only 23 and 6'8", seems to have the tools to be a wing defender. Maybe he just needs to be schooled in defense by pop?

r0drig0lac
01-23-2019, 12:25 PM
Pau is a former player, it was always obvious he has no value in the league

slick'81
01-23-2019, 12:33 PM

If carmela got traded so could pau

r0drig0lac
01-23-2019, 12:40 PM
If carmela got traded so could pau

fair

Larry O
01-23-2019, 12:43 PM
Hmmm... read both of those RealGM writeups on Gasol's trade value & the Spurs' intrest for possibly trading for Stanley Johnson. It sounds like we may be stuck with Gasol for this season while for Johnson, well... is he possibly no different that Josh Huestis on the offensive end? And there's Ben Moore, the 2-way contract player. LW4 is with the team today as they play the 76'ers. Hopfully with Bertans out, LW4 can get some time on the court & does well on both ends, if he's allowed to play. If he plays & does well in his homecoming in front of his family & friends in his home state, perhaps there will be a change of heart & PATFO will decide to keep him with the Big Boys & work his way onto rotational minutes. I know, I know: keep dreaming, BUT, I'd be surprised if the Spurs do make a trade move without disrupting much of this team; the culture & the chemistry. At this point, if anything, SAS will make changes from an internal standpoint, ala Moore, Huestis or LW4. Maybe they may persue Johnson in the offseason? But the bottom line is: Anything Is Possible! So, for us fans, we'll just have to continue to play guessing games & wait & see how this will all play out! GSG!!!

KDKSpurs24
01-23-2019, 12:47 PM
I think Jabari Parker even said he doesn’t get paid to play defense

GusT15
01-23-2019, 12:49 PM
Don't know a lot about him honestly but saw he was listed as a SF/PF. He is only 23 and 6'8", seems to have the tools to be a wing defender. Maybe he just needs to be schooled in defense by pop?

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/hWwpNtXZeAyHcyLJSkRclFuiHFk=/0x109:768x621/1200x800/filters:focal(0x109:768x621)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/47279940/S5lLO5QX6yJ3rG57LjhFWsEW02aayRL9llv3jSII__g.0.0.jp g

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/s3.wscram.radio.com/styles/nts_image_cover_tall_775x425/s3/Jabari_Parker_4.jpg?itok=RkHJP17x&c=719415dae8f87cafddfaa1f736bf7b6f

Dverde
01-23-2019, 12:56 PM
You don’t want Jabari on that contract.

https://pics.me.me/ne-rec-hot-pockets-just-garbage-o-sandwiches-cheese-with-28419483.png

SpurSpike
01-23-2019, 01:01 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/hWwpNtXZeAyHcyLJSkRclFuiHFk=/0x109:768x621/1200x800/filters:focal(0x109:768x621)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/47279940/S5lLO5QX6yJ3rG57LjhFWsEW02aayRL9llv3jSII__g.0.0.jp g

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/s3.wscram.radio.com/styles/nts_image_cover_tall_775x425/s3/Jabari_Parker_4.jpg?itok=RkHJP17x&c=719415dae8f87cafddfaa1f736bf7b6f

Ok thanks for the pics, he is larger than i first realized. Seems like a fatter version of Rudy Gay. Gay wasn't known for defense but is doing better in SA, who knows. Not a lot out there to trade for that are decent and possible. Id still take him for Pau tbh.

DAF86
01-23-2019, 01:02 PM

Pau's contract would allow any team to shave 10 millions of cap space in the offseason. That is valuable in itself.

r0drig0lac
01-23-2019, 01:03 PM
You don’t want Jabari on that contract.

the situation of Jabari is really confusing (it is not lack of talent obviously), however I would like to pair Harison Barnes (which unfortunately has a very bad contract) with Gay, Aldridge and Derozan for one season if it were possible

Dverde
01-23-2019, 01:26 PM
I think Julius Randle would be a great fit. I’d rather clear out cap space and go after him in the offseason. You could play him with Gay and LMA.

Kobe'sAchilles
01-23-2019, 01:30 PM
The person to look at is Saric. Minny probably wouldn't trade him to us so we would have to sign him outright but I do wonder if there's a trade to be made for him. Maybe 2 picks and Pau? He would fit perfectly amongst the starters and is just a super smart player. I like him for our team

otherwise NO TRADES THIS YEAR BC EVERYONE YALL WANT ARE TRASH. That is all :lol

cd021
01-23-2019, 01:43 PM
One plyer gets injured and we have to change the entire complexion of the starting lineup because we have no other good options to keep the same structure of 1 true bigman and 1 long SF playing PF.

That's not entirely true either; Pop shoe horned Gasol into the SL to find him some minutes. He could've just as easily went with White, Forbes, DeRozan, Bertans and LMA in the starting lineups.

That's obviously better than the Gasol starting lineup because its a lineup that is better able to space the floor and compliment it's two best players.

Duncan87
01-23-2019, 01:48 PM
Anyone here watch Clan the Spurs fan you tube channel ?supposedly he has some legit inside info from Spurs he works for some sort of Spurs writing page said today Spurs have expressed some desire to trade for Conley

Duncan87
01-23-2019, 01:49 PM
Also shot down TT saying didn’t come from Spurs

DAF86
01-23-2019, 01:52 PM
That's not entirely true either; Pop shoe horned Gasol into the SL to find him some minutes. He could've just as easily went with White, Forbes, DeRozan, Bertans and LMA in the starting lineups.

That's obviously better than the Gasol starting lineup because its a lineup that is better able to space the floor and compliment it's two best players.

Ok, and who do you play when Bertans goes to the bench?

Indianman
01-23-2019, 01:52 PM
Anyone here watch Clan the Spurs fan you tube channel ?supposedly he has some legit inside info from Spurs he works for some sort of Spurs writing page said today Spurs have expressed some desire to trade for Conley

Everybody here has collectively accepted that we don't need an injury prone guard in the back court problem we have already. Also, Conley is super expensive who would hurt the cap flexibility.

Wouldn't a certified columnist know that already?