View Full Version : If the Spurs draft 11th

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

exstatic
08-14-2020, 09:21 AM
I must be missing something here...Spurs have the 12th worst record. Why are we drafting 11th?

Who are the 11 teams with better records, and what are their records?

Dex
08-14-2020, 09:39 AM
Who are the 11 teams with better records, and what are their records?

This is from ESPN:

https://i.imgur.com/gSZI68B.png

Dejounte
08-14-2020, 09:47 AM
This is from ESPN:

https://i.imgur.com/gSZI68B.png

I explained this to a guy last night... If you can find the post it will explain everything

Dex
08-14-2020, 09:54 AM
I explained this to a guy last night... If you can find the post it will explain everything

Gonna make me work for it, huh? :spin

Draft order is stuck on the position it was pre covid

The only thing that affects draft order since the bubble is who makes the playoffs

If the blazers lose, they will have a worse win percentage than the Suns, so the Suns would make the play in tournament for the 8th seed.

If the suns beat the grizzlies twice, they become the 8th seed in the playoffs and forfeit their 10th pick and everyone else moves up and they move to 15th

You based this on the Suns making the playoffs, but they didn't. So they are still stuck at 10th...which I guess leaves us at 11th?

Chinook
08-14-2020, 09:54 AM
I must be missing something here...Spurs have the 12th worst record. Why are we drafting 11th?

Wait, I thought Ex was saying the draft order was locked pending playoffs. I hadn't seen anything to that effect, but it wouldn't have been surprising because the league ended a number of things officially when the stoppage happened. I thought there was special rule so that teams wouldn't try to tank in the bubble. If that's not true, then the Spurs could've fallen all the way down to 14th or rising up to ninth. No idea why in that case people would've kept saying the record was locked this whole time.

That's depressing.

EDIT: I see DeJounte is saying the records were locked pre-COVID. No it's about finding evidence that that's true.

Dex
08-14-2020, 10:00 AM
Wait, I thought Ex was saying the draft order was locked pending playoffs. I hadn't seen anything to that effect, but it wouldn't have been surprising because the league ended a number of things officially when the stoppage happened. I thought there was special rule so that teams wouldn't try to tank in the bubble. If that's not true, then the Spurs could've fallen all the way down to 14th or rising up to ninth. No idea why in that case people would've kept saying the record was locked this whole time.

That's depressing.

EDIT: I see DeJounte is saying the records were locked pre-COVID. No it's about finding evidence that that's true.

Yeah, I'm legitimately posing the question because I don't know.

Based on record, Spurs have the 12th worst record...which would normally give them the 12th draft position.

But obviously all of this bubble stuff has made things wacky.

RC_Drunkford
08-14-2020, 10:03 AM
is there a way for us to get a higher pick with some luck in the lottery? We actually need Obi Toppin, but there's no way we move in the Top 3

Dex
08-14-2020, 10:04 AM
This is from Sports Illustrated, which alludes to what Dejounte was talking about.

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/06/16/nba-draft-2020-schedule-dates

One key thing to note here is that the back end of the lottery and associated odds (picks nine through 14) will still be determined by teams’ regular-season records through March 11. As things stand, that means Washington, Phoenix, San Antonio, Sacramento and New Orleans (with a 12/13 tiebreaker on the table) and Portland, in that order. If any of those teams winds up making it into the playoffs at the conclusion of the final eight-game regular-season slate in Orlando, they’ll be replaced in the lottery by whichever team(s) fall out.

Brooklyn and Memphis currently hold the eighth playoff spot in each conference, and if they miss the post-season, they’d be placed in the lottery based on their record through March 11. A scenario along those lines would place those teams in the 13th and/or 14th lottery slot, with the others moving up accordingly. Additionally, Memphis’s pick is top-six protected and will otherwise convey to Boston. Brooklyn’s pick is lottery-protected, but if the Nets remain in playoff position, that pick will convey to Minnesota.

So if I'm reading that right...if Portland beats Memphis (which seems entirely likely), they swap spots and Memphis will fall into the 13/14th position and the Spurs will be unaffected and stay at 11th.

Weird.

RC_Drunkford
08-14-2020, 10:36 AM
I see a lot of mock drafts saying we gon draft Devin Vassell. He kinda reminds me of nephew. Good defender, good 3-point shooter, can come of screens and flashed more offensive potential. Seems like the player we need.

Dejounte
08-14-2020, 10:38 AM
I see a lot of mock drafts saying we gon draft Devin Vassell. He kinda reminds me of nephew. Good defender, good 3-point shooter, can come of screens and flashed more offensive potential. Seems like the player we need.

God....fuck no.... Fool's gold

RC_Drunkford
08-14-2020, 10:44 AM
God....fuck no.... Fool's gold

lol chill, I'm just getting into the scouting videos. Toppin seems to be the top forward of this draft, but he needs work on defense. Probably too high of a pick for us to get anyway

exstatic
08-14-2020, 10:50 AM
Washington was the possible play in team in the East, but they got destroyed in the bubble. They actually dropped behind a team in the East that didn’t even get into the bubble. :lol

exstatic
08-14-2020, 10:53 AM
I checked Tank a thon. It was the pelicans. They started the bubble with a better record than us, but shit the bed.

DPG21920
08-14-2020, 10:56 AM
Spurs have 10x (~9%) the chance of moving into the top 4 than they do falling to 14 (.008%). That is good news.

DPG21920
08-14-2020, 10:57 AM
They can still select all the way down to 14th. There are about as good of odds of them dropping to 12 as there are of them getting 1-4

Am I missing something. I thought it was a 9% chance at top 4 and less than 1% chance at 14.

Dejounte
08-14-2020, 10:57 AM
lol chill, I'm just getting into the scouting videos. Toppin seems to be the top forward of this draft, but he needs work on defense. Probably too high of a pick for us to get anyway

Use this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/HardwoodHoopsCentralsNBADraftGreenRoom

Dont just watch highlights

DPG21920
08-14-2020, 11:00 AM
is there a way for us to get a higher pick with some luck in the lottery? We actually need Obi Toppin, but there's no way we move in the Top 3

Yes. There is a draft lottery with odds based on record. Spurs have a 9% chance to improve from pick 11 (if they do improve the only other picks would be 1-4. Can’t move to pick 9 for example)

exstatic
08-14-2020, 11:03 AM
Am I missing something. I thought it was a 9% chance at top 4 and less than 1% chance at 14.

Tankathon has a lottery simulator, and while I occasionally see them drop to 12, I’ve never seen them go lower, and it seems that they jump into the top 4 more often than dropping to 12.

RC_Drunkford
08-14-2020, 11:05 AM
Use this channel:

that's exactly what I'm watching. Even Bryn Forbes would look good if you just watch highlights. I'm always interested in the players weaknesses. Some of them are easily fixable, some ain't at all

RC_Drunkford
08-14-2020, 11:07 AM
Yes. There is a draft lottery with odds based on record. Spurs have a 9% chance to improve from pick 11 (if they do improve the only other picks would be 1-4. Can’t move to pick 9 for example)

man if we could get a top 4 pick.... This team would be on fire from then on

DPG21920
08-14-2020, 11:09 AM
man if we could get a top 4 pick.... This team would be on fire from then on

Its not a star heavy draft by most accounts, but absolutely would be a massive boost. Whether its getting a better shot at the best player in the draft or ability to trade. Many great things could happen.

I’m calling pick 3 for SA.

Dejounte
08-14-2020, 11:23 AM
that's exactly what I'm watching. Even Bryn Forbes would look good if you just watch highlights. I'm always interested in the players weaknesses. Some of them are easily fixable, some ain't at all

If you watch the entirety of Vassell's video, you will see his awful Kobe like shot selection, his thin frame (weighs 180lb?), and his average height for a SF. He would be a bad fit on this team. We need strength and length.

He gives NO SPACING AT ALL even from the first play in that hardwood hoops central video

Watch Deni, Patrick Williams, and Precious Achiuwa

Dejounte
08-14-2020, 11:32 AM
https://youtu.be/NrfhjfxhZ_g

Watch the godawful play at 2:34. He makes dumb plays like this all throughout

He drives in and passes it to a crowded area where someone has two guys on him and leads his own man to him. He's got that DJ Murray intellect on offense

RC_Drunkford
08-14-2020, 11:34 AM
Its not a star heavy draft by most accounts, but absolutely would be a massive boost. Whether its getting a better shot at the best player in the draft or ability to trade. Many great things could happen.

Even if you keep LA and DeRozan, with the young guys making strides, adding a Top 4 pick and 1 rotation player into the mix would work wonders for this team. Especially when Bryn and Marco are gone

Chinook
08-14-2020, 11:36 AM

I didn't say 14. I said 1-4.

Dejounte
08-14-2020, 11:45 AM

Another DUMBASS play at 3:08. He gets the ball, dribbles it towards his own teammate (#23) on his left, and shoots a long 2. Dude is dumb as bricks.

pad300
08-14-2020, 11:55 AM
Vassel is Danny Green, not Kwitter. If I was picking, he wouldn't be my choice.

spurspl
08-14-2020, 11:58 AM
does anyone have a video of Avdija playin as a PF? i wonder how he handle with this position bc as a SF he looks really good.

BackHome
08-14-2020, 12:20 PM

Another DUMBASS play at 3:08. He gets the ball, dribbles it towards his own teammate (#23) on his left, and shoots a long 2. Dude is dumb as bricks.

If we stay at 11 and all the big names are drafted who would be your top 2 players right now?

Dejounte
08-14-2020, 12:47 PM
If we stay at 11 and all the big names are drafted who would be your top 2 players right now?

Those would be my tier two players:

1a. Patrick Williams
1b. Precious Achiuwa
2. Isaiah Stewart
3. Tyler Bey

Thomas82
08-14-2020, 01:29 PM

Yeah, and we'll take Wiseman with it.

Seventyniner
08-14-2020, 01:35 PM
Here's a link to Tankathon's table showing the chances for each pick.
http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds
(http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds)
For the Spurs:

2.0% chance of getting the #1 pick
2.2% chance of getting the #2 pick
2.4% chance of getting the #3 pick
2.8% chance of getting the #4 pick
77.6% chance of getting the #11 pick
12.6% chance of getting the #12 pick
0.4% chance of getting the #13 pick
Less than 0.1% chance of getting the #14 pick (though still technically possible)

Seventyniner
08-14-2020, 01:40 PM
The Spurs also haven't had a second-round pick this high (#41) since trading for the #37 pick to get DeJuan Blair in 2009 and the #33 pick to get Marcus Williams in 2007.

I am nowhere near a draftnik, though. Any ideas on what kind of player the Spurs might be looking for at #41?

Tankathon has the Spurs picking at #42 in the second round for some reason. I see that second-round pick ties are the opposite of those in the first round, but Tankathon shows NO and SAC being tied for #12, while they have SAC picking at #41 ahead of the Spurs. I don't understand this.

Dejounte
08-14-2020, 01:53 PM
The Spurs also haven't had a second-round pick this high (#41) since trading for the #37 pick to get DeJuan Blair in 2009 and the #33 pick to get Marcus Williams in 2007.

I am nowhere near a draftnik, though. Any ideas on what kind of player the Spurs might be looking for at #41?

Tankathon has the Spurs picking at #42 in the second round for some reason. I see that second-round pick ties are the opposite of those in the first round, but Tankathon shows NO and SAC being tied for #12, while they have SAC picking at #41 ahead of the Spurs. I don't understand this.

Paul Reed
Daniel Oturu
Zeke Nnaji
Xavier Tillman
Jordan Nwora

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 02:10 PM
Here's a link to Tankathon's table showing the chances for each pick.
(http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds)
For the Spurs:

2.0% chance of getting the #1 pick
2.2% chance of getting the #2 pick
2.4% chance of getting the #3 pick
2.8% chance of getting the #4 pick
77.6% chance of getting the #11 pick
12.6% chance of getting the #12 pick
0.4% chance of getting the #13 pick
Less than 0.1% chance of getting the #14 pick (though still technically possible)

i'm kinda confused.

does this mean that the spurs have no shot at #5 to #10? spurs either get (unlikely) #1 to #4 or #11 to #14, is that right?

Seventyniner
08-14-2020, 02:22 PM
i'm kinda confused.

does this mean that the spurs have no shot at #5 to #10? spurs either get (unlikely) #1 to #4 or #11 to #14, is that right?

Right, the Spurs cannot get #5-10 no matter what.

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 02:24 PM
thanks.

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 02:27 PM
i was imagining the spurs getting lucky and landing the #8 pick but it's not possible... sooo i guess the spurs will just have to settle for getting the #4 pick :smokin:smokin

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 02:29 PM
i will make a sacrifice to the basketball gods if the spurs land a higher pick than the warriors.

exstatic
08-14-2020, 02:35 PM
i'm kinda confused.

The first four spots are drawn at random, and the rest of the teams are ranked in order, record wise, from 5-14. We could jump into the top 4, stay at 11, or get knocked backwards by teams behind us jumping into the top 4.

DPG21920
08-14-2020, 02:39 PM
Yeah, and we'll take Wiseman with it.

Or trade back and get extra pick

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 02:53 PM
i'm super happy the draft rules were changed.

if that didn't happen then the warriors would have the highest chance of landing the #1 pick.

but with that rule change, the warriors, cavs, wolves have an equal chance of getting the #1 pick.

spurspl
08-14-2020, 02:56 PM
if spurs moved up in a draft im gonna play lotto

maybe im too realistic but we aint gonna move up unless spurs make some trades

cd98
08-14-2020, 03:14 PM
Not going to lie, it's going to feel a little pathetic groveling and hoping the Spurs beat the odds in the lottery. It will be weird seeing a Spur representative at the draft (if they even do that this year), either cheering or looking sad if the team stays at 11.

BackHome
08-14-2020, 03:19 PM
It kinds sucks that our first time drafting this high has to happen in a weak draft class.

K...
08-14-2020, 03:43 PM
Not going to lie, it's going to feel a little pathetic groveling and hoping the Spurs beat the odds in the lottery. It will be weird seeing a Spur representative at the draft (if they even do that this year), either cheering or looking sad if the team stays at 11.

Well it's a remote Skype stream, so the usual hijinks won't apply.

RC_Drunkford
08-14-2020, 04:03 PM
i'm super happy the draft rules were changed.

if that didn't happen then the warriors would have the highest chance of landing the #1 pick.

but with that rule change, the warriors, cavs, wolves have an equal chance of getting the #1 pick.

NBA will gift the Dubs the #1 pick to boost TV ratings just like they gave the Lakers the #4 pick so they can get AD

DAF86
08-14-2020, 04:06 PM

Watch the godawful play at 2:34. He makes dumb plays like this all throughout

He drives in and passes it to a crowded area where someone has two guys on him and leads his own man to him. He's got that DJ Murray intellect on offense

He only needs to spot up and shoot 3s, tbh.

DAF86
08-14-2020, 04:08 PM

The fuck? Why is that?

Dejounte
08-14-2020, 04:52 PM
He only needs to spot up and shoot 3s, tbh.

For someone who preaches about needing a player who can defend tall SFs....Vassell is not your guy. Like someone said earlier, he's Danny Green, not Kawhi. This guy is a twig and will barely be able to hold position against stronger, taller players.

And let's be real...... People will throw fits if the player we draft's ceiling is 3 and D

Dejounte
08-14-2020, 04:57 PM
https://youtu.be/u2fA5-Em8Mc

One of the youngest players in the draft. Strong, tough. Averaged great numbers in college.

He was seeing double teams in college

ulosturedge
08-14-2020, 05:09 PM
The FO seems to think they will get a contributor no matter how it plays out. I wonder who they think is the real deal and who is not. There definitely seems to be plenty of length in this draft. You got tall point guards and agile centers now. The landscape is changing in this new Era of Basketball.

DAF86
08-14-2020, 05:48 PM
For someone who preaches about needing a player who can defend tall SFs....Vassell is not your guy. Like someone said earlier, he's Danny Green, not Kawhi. This guy is a twig and will barely be able to hold position against stronger, taller players.

And let's be real...... People will throw fits if the player we draft's ceiling is 3 and D

This is a pretty shitty draft. Folks need to adjust their expectations. I for once would be thriller with finally getting the 3 and D guy we have been missing ever since Kawhi and Green left.

Vassell has a 6'11" wingspan, tbh. And the expectations is that he gains muscle mass like 90% of the guys that get into the NBA.

Dejounte
08-14-2020, 05:53 PM
This is a pretty shitty draft. Folks need to adjust their expectations. I for once would be thriller with finally getting the 3 and D guy we have been missing ever since Kawhi and Green left.

Vassell has a 6'11" wingspan, tbh. And the expectations is that he gains muscle mass like 90% of the guys that get into the NBA.

Bruh that's only 1" more than Keldon's wingspan

SloMo, DJ, Metu all failed to gain muscle mass

It's all wishful thinking

For much of the length disadvantage you whine on Keldon about, Vassell is the exact same thing. It doesnt make sense... Again, your whole basis on this lacks any time spent on watching the dude. If you watch the 1 hr and 30 minute video, you'll see he doesnt have much success vs lanky players that you'd see in the NBA

exstatic
08-14-2020, 06:01 PM
The fuck? Why is that?

Because they only draw for the top 4 picks. After that, the teams are slotted in reverse record order. We can be 1-4, or 11-14.

Thomas82
08-14-2020, 10:11 PM
Or trade back and get extra pick

I would rather take Wiseman and keep it moving, but I see where you're coming from.

Joseph Kony
08-14-2020, 10:14 PM
hopefully Silver will do us a solid and gift Spurs a top 4 pick like they did the Lakers last year

Thomas82
08-14-2020, 10:39 PM
hopefully Silver will do us a solid and gift Spurs a top 4 pick like they did the Lakers last year

I really hope so too.

Dejounte
08-15-2020, 09:13 AM
Posted this last year... Including prospects I like:

pg = runs plays
sg = shooter/ secondary playmaker
sf = offball movement shooter
pf = post play/ guards weakside
c= defensive anchor/ rim protector

combo guards (pg/sg...runs plays + shooter/secondary playmaker):
--Dejounte
--Derrick White
--Quinndary

strict sg...shooter/ secondary playmaker:
--Mills
--Forbes

wings (sg/sf...shooter/ secondary playmaker + offball movement scorer):
--DeMar
--Johnson
--Lonnie
--Beli
++Deni Avdija

big forward (sf/pf...offball movement shooter + post play/ guards weakside)
--Gay
--Trey Lyles
--Samanic
++Precious Achiuwa
++Reggie Perry
++Jalen Smith
++Patrick Williams
++Paul Reed
++Tyler Bey
++Obi Toppin

combo big (pf/c...post play/ guards weakside + defensive anchor/rim protector)
--Aldridge
--Metu
++Daniel Oturu
++Onyeka Okongwu
++Isaiah Stewart

strict center (defensive anchor/ rim protector)
--Poetl
--Eubanks
--Tyler Zeller
++Xavier Tillman
++Zeke Nnaji

BillMc
08-15-2020, 09:29 AM
Posted this last year... Including prospects I like:

pg = runs plays
sg = shooter/ secondary playmaker
sf = offball movement shooter
pf = post play/ guards weakside
c= defensive anchor/ rim protector

combo guards (pg/sg...runs plays + shooter/secondary playmaker):
--Dejounte
--Derrick White
--Quinndary

strict sg...shooter/ secondary playmaker:
--Mills
--Forbes

wings (sg/sf...shooter/ secondary playmaker + offball movement scorer):
--DeMar
--Johnson
--Lonnie
--Beli
++Deni Avdija

big forward (sf/pf...offball movement shooter + post play/ guards weakside)
--Gay
--Trey Lyles
--Samanic
++Precious Achiuwa
++Reggie Perry
++Jalen Smith
++Patrick Williams
++Paul Reed
++Tyler Bey
++Obi Toppin

combo big (pf/c...post play/ guards weakside + defensive anchor/rim protector)
--Aldridge
--Metu
++Daniel Oturu
++Onyeka Okongwu
++Isaiah Stewart

strict center (defensive anchor/ rim protector)
--Poetl
--Eubanks
--Tyler Zeller
++Xavier Tillman
++Zeke Nnaji

Good break down. :bobo Not sure Metu is a combo big but otherwise pretty much agree.

Russ
08-15-2020, 10:25 AM
This post can be distilled somewhat:

++Onyeka Okongwu

Alternative version:

++Deni Avdija

dbestpro
08-15-2020, 10:49 AM
I'm calling it now. The Spurs will win the third pick in the lottery and draft Obi Toppin. ...............................

Thomas82
08-15-2020, 11:13 AM
I'm calling it now. The Spurs will win the third pick in the lottery and draft Obi Toppin. ...............................

I agree with winning the 3rd pick, but I say we get James Wiseman.

look_at_g_shred
08-15-2020, 12:23 PM
Obi Toppin is not the way to go. Liability on defense. One dimensional offensive player, though can occasionally hit the 3. Ceiling is capped. Will he ever be as good as Aldridge? Probably not. Pass.

duncan2150
08-15-2020, 01:20 PM

Imo they will go with avdija if they have the 3 Or Wiseman if he's there.

BackHome
08-15-2020, 03:05 PM
I had a dream that we got to draft Avdija we’ll see on Monday if that dream comes true.

SpurPadre
08-15-2020, 03:21 PM
If by a miracle we get #1 overall, is Anthony Edwards a no-brainer for us?

TXstbobcat
08-15-2020, 04:14 PM
I had a dream that we got to draft Avdija we’ll see on Monday if that dream comes true.

Thursday August 20th

Obi Juan Kenobi
08-15-2020, 04:21 PM
Avdija if the Spurs get into the top 4!!!

Dancelot
08-15-2020, 04:27 PM
I wonder who the spurs send to represent the team for the lottery selection? Our horrible new GM? The Coyote? Maybe they ask Nephew because this is all his doing anyway? The admiral?
possibilities are endless, exciting times. Also, when is the actual draft supposed to take place?

Obi Juan Kenobi
08-15-2020, 04:29 PM
I wonder who the spurs send to represent the team for the lottery selection? Maybe they ask Nephew because this is all his doing anyway?

:lol

Dejounte
08-15-2020, 04:30 PM

Fuck no. Watch him in an interview and find out why.

Russ
08-15-2020, 04:34 PM

Wiseman would probably be the favorite (if so, hard to argue).

Dancelot
08-15-2020, 04:36 PM
I wonder who the spurs send to represent the team for the lottery selection? Our horrible new GM? The Coyote? Maybe they ask Nephew because this is all his doing anyway? The admiral?
possibilities are endless, exciting times. Also, when is the actual draft supposed to take place?
Kinda actually have a feeling it’ll be D-Rob. He was at the draft when Lonnie was selected

Thomas82
08-15-2020, 05:43 PM

It's scheduled for October 16.

exstatic
08-15-2020, 05:53 PM

They’ll never use a top 4 pick on a defensive dud.

duncan2150
08-15-2020, 05:55 PM
They’ll never use a top 4 pick on a defensive dud.

You mean offensive dude ? Cause toppin is Not a very good defender but he is good offensively.

DAF86
08-15-2020, 06:02 PM
Bruh that's only 1" more than Keldon's wingspan

SloMo, DJ, Metu all failed to gain muscle mass

It's all wishful thinking

For much of the length disadvantage you whine on Keldon about, Vassell is the exact same thing. It doesnt make sense... Again, your whole basis on this lacks any time spent on watching the dude. If you watch the 1 hr and 30 minute video, you'll see he doesnt have much success vs lanky players that you'd see in the NBA

According to this, Keldon's wingspan is 6'9"

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/keldon-johnson/

And that's one of the paces that has him at 6'6".

How would having a SF with an almost 7 foot wingspan would be giving a length advantage? :lol

exstatic
08-15-2020, 06:09 PM
You mean offensive dude ? Cause toppin is Not a very good defender but he is good offensively.

Dud means a failure. Didn’t type Dude.

duncan2150
08-15-2020, 06:12 PM
Dud means a failure. Didn’t type Dude.

My bad and I agree about toppin.

SpurPadre
08-15-2020, 06:21 PM
Fuck no. Watch him in an interview and find out why.

Oh, a knucklehead? No wonder the Dubs are drooling over him.

Dejounte
08-15-2020, 06:43 PM
According to this, Keldon's wingspan is 6'9"

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/keldon-johnson/

And that's one of the paces that has him at 6'6".

How would having a SF with an almost 7 foot wingspan would be giving a length advantage? :lol

Sigh I give up. You can hang your hat on Vassell. Who the fuck cares. He'll be this year's Nassir Little because people are so enamored by the stupid shit they read online and don't actually watch the players they spew out.

Its hard to argue with you when youre all over the place and contradicting your own views and wants. Youre stubborn as hell to admit it too.

Ill say it again... Vassell's defense is good against 1-3, not 3-5 which you have stated is important for this team. Watch the fucking 1 hour 30 minute video on him. Take time to have informed thoughts.

D-Robinson 50 fan
08-15-2020, 10:02 PM
Paul Reed
Daniel Oturu
Zeke Nnaji
Xavier Tillman
Jordan Nwora

I think Paul Reed and Daniel Oturu will be gone before that pick. If not both would be great pick ups. I think both of those guys go late 1st or early 2nd round.

Dejounte
08-15-2020, 10:04 PM
I think Paul Reed and Daniel Oturu will be gone before that pick. If not both would be great pick ups. I think both of those guys go late 1st or early 2nd round.

The Spurs picked up Quinndary last year and really... He came out of the blue. The 2nd round will be unpredictable as hell. I thought i did a lot of research on players last year but Q just came out of nowhere.

Dejounte
08-15-2020, 10:12 PM
https://youtu.be/vRfGXwKG0pQ

At 2:20
"Offense is offense but on defense if you can stop a team from scoring, i feel like that holds more weight than scoring."

"We dont get too high or too low"

The way their coach is described, he sounds like Popovich.

D-Robinson 50 fan
08-15-2020, 10:13 PM
The Spurs picked up Quinndary last year and really... He came out of the blue. The 2nd round will be unpredictable as hell. I thought i did a lot of research on players last year but Q just came out of nowhere.

So true. No telling who the team picks with the 1st rounder and the 2nd round pick is even more up in the air.

I just know if Reed or Oturu are available at our 2nd round slot I would be ecstatic with either player. I'm really excited about the draft

Dejounte
08-15-2020, 10:17 PM
So true. No telling who the team picks with the 1st rounder and the 2nd round pick is even more up in the air.

I just know if Reed or Oturu are available at our 2nd round slot I would be ecstatic with either player. I'm really excited about the draft

You have to think they have to move on from 1 of Aldridge, Poetl, or Eubanks if they draft Oturu, unless Oturu can play the 4.

Dejounte
08-15-2020, 10:24 PM

For one of the 1st round picks last year, there were a couple signs that were a dead giveaway that they were drafting Luka... One being reports of RC going overseas to scout him.

Guess what RC did this year? He scouted Deni overseas.

*Crosses fingers*

Johnson though, I did not see coming probably because of my bias to high performing stats in college. This opened my eyes for this year...paying attention to players who did not get the spotlight on his team due to the system in place by the coach. >>>>Patrick Williams is an example. Patrick's propensity to make a smart pass and great understanding for spacing shows me he is a high IQ player. We'd be getting a solid role player immediately if Pop plays him in his rookie year.

objective
08-15-2020, 11:27 PM
I think Robert Woodard is kind of a discount Patrick Williams, older and without the scoring potential, but he could be there in the second round. Malik Fitts also as a second rounder I think is interesting, kind of like a broken down Marvin Williams.

Vassell is okay, maybe could top out like a Doug Christie?

I still love Patrick Williams. This video doesn't cover his defensive movement weaknesses or possible leg imbalances and body concerns, and also doesn't cover his passing at all. But it's okay.

https://youtu.be/Llf0TncXzR8

I have to watch more Deni before the lottery and they get stuck at 11 and the potential of getting him or Obi goes to next to zero and kills my interest in watching tape.

exstatic
08-15-2020, 11:40 PM

Q came out of Portsmouth, just like Derrick did.

objective
08-16-2020, 12:03 AM
Use this channel:

I'll have to try and watch more of that channels videos even though they give me a headache.

BUT one thing that does disappoint me a lot with some of their videos is how early in the season they did them. Some of these guys are very young and the videos only do half their season, but the players get better as the season goes along (hopefully) and by cutting off so early in the season it might leave an inaccurate impression.

For instance, Patrick Williams video going by the date posted is missing at least his last 15 games, and he only played 29.

Vassell's video is missing his last 15 games.

Woodard's video is missing his last 20! games.

Achiuwa is missing his last 24 games.

Tyler Bey's only missing his last 6 and he's older so maybe with him it's not that drastic.

Oturu's is missing his last 16. Isaiah Stewart is missing his last 26. Josh Green missing his last 22.

And so on and so on with Obi Toppin, Paul Reed, Okoro et al all missing the last 25 or so games of their seasons.

Hopefully the channel updates or there's some other videos that do these kind of long deep dives.

Dejounte
08-16-2020, 06:26 AM
I'll have to try and watch more of that channels videos even though they give me a headache.

BUT one thing that does disappoint me a lot with some of their videos is how early in the season they did them. Some of these guys are very young and the videos only do half their season, but the players get better as the season goes along (hopefully) and by cutting off so early in the season it might leave an inaccurate impression.

For instance, Patrick Williams video going by the date posted is missing at least his last 15 games, and he only played 29.

Vassell's video is missing his last 15 games.

Woodard's video is missing his last 20! games.

Achiuwa is missing his last 24 games.

Tyler Bey's only missing his last 6 and he's older so maybe with him it's not that drastic.

Oturu's is missing his last 16. Isaiah Stewart is missing his last 26. Josh Green missing his last 22.

And so on and so on with Obi Toppin, Paul Reed, Okoro et al all missing the last 25 or so games of their seasons.

Hopefully the channel updates or there's some other videos that do these kind of long deep dives.

I agree but there's still major value in these as you see things that probably wont see drastic change over another 15 games, which includes: shooting form, natural tendencies, spacing IQ, and a few more. The latter half of games might show an increased amount of field goals made, probably better defense, but i disagree it would show a whole lot more.

I think i mistook baseline bum as you earlier in this thread lmao

The PWill video in the channel shows his knack for passing. It showed me that he's really skilled in that regard. Hes a pass first forward and showed unselfishness. Really knows how to be a system player which tells me he would fit in as a Spur very easily. Like I said earlier, he knows how to pick his spots to shoot and doesnt force anything when its a bad shot. To me, that kind of IQ is HUGE and ive watched many other prospects that dont display that kind of maturity.

Dejounte
08-16-2020, 05:18 PM
I rave about Pat a lot but I just want to reiterate how miles apart he is from Deni. I was watching Deni again today and damn.... I cant believe he isnt going #1. Dude is destined for stardom. Here's hoping we get lucky in four days...

DAF86
08-16-2020, 06:19 PM
Sigh I give up. You can hang your hat on Vassell. Who the fuck cares. He'll be this year's Nassir Little because people are so enamored by the stupid shit they read online and don't actually watch the players they spew out.

Its hard to argue with you when youre all over the place and contradicting your own views and wants. Youre stubborn as hell to admit it too.

Ill say it again... Vassell's defense is good against 1-3, not 3-5 which you have stated is important for this team. Watch the fucking 1 hour 30 minute video on him. Take time to have informed thoughts.

Dude, I clearly stated that I based my list solely on reading different scouting reports, analyzing stats and watching tapes, so I won't ever argue about their play because I have never watched them play a full game. I will, however, set the tale straight about basic facts. So, if you tell me "Vessel and Keldon are the same length" I can easily state the fact that Keldon is listed at 6'9" by most sites while Vassell is anywhere from 6'10" to 7 feet.

DAF86
08-16-2020, 06:37 PM
If you watch the entirety of Vassell's video, you will see his awful Kobe like shot selection, his thin frame (weighs 180lb?), and his average height for a SF. He would be a bad fit on this team. We need strength and length.

He gives NO SPACING AT ALL even from the first play in that hardwood hoops central video

Watch Deni, Patrick Williams, and Precious Achiuwa

According to this site, Achiuwa's weaknesses are exactly that:

T1iR1ncNTfM

I hadn't watched him yet, he seems more like an undersized Center than a real forward on today's NBA, tbh. Dude can't shoot, plays mostly as a screen and roller (isn't a ball handling guy), and seems a bit awkard moving his feet on defense in the perimeter. Again, I'm only tape watching so I won't be defenite about anything, but he doesn't seem like the type of player we need.

By Deni, you mean Avidja? I have actually seen some games of him. He's definitely intriguing but the chances of him being a total bust are pretty high too. Textbook high-risk high-reward guy. He is actually very Samanic like: tall but has t-rex arms (only 6'9" wingpan for a 6'8" guy), has shooting potential but he doesn't actually shoot a high % from 3, could be easily bullied around at the NBA level. If your focal points are strength and length, then Avidja isn't the guy to be looking at. Anyway, I doubt the Spurs go that route a year away from having drafted Samanic, tbh.

Dejounte
08-16-2020, 08:46 PM
Avdija is nothing like Samanic... Their games are nothing alike.

Precious' appeal is his potential as a strong forward and to be a Kawhi/ Giannis/ LeBron stopper. His strength is unmatched. I go in-depth about this way back in this thread. I'm aware of his current weaknesses.

objective
08-16-2020, 10:50 PM
Been watching more Deni and I see why he'll probably be gone well before 11

He really is like a discount Doncic which is pretty good for this draft. He's leagues beyond Samanic though they don't exactly play the same position.

Dejounte
08-16-2020, 10:54 PM
Been watching more Deni and I see why he'll probably be gone well before 11

He really is like a discount Doncic which is pretty good for this draft. He's leagues beyond Samanic though they don't exactly play the same position.

His speed is the gamechanger. Also, his offensive arsenal seems advanced. Making an MJ fadeaway made me go whoa. But finally, his will to win. There's simply players who know what it takes to win and these guys always end up setting themselves apart from others.

To DAF86: Strength and length isnt the reason I want Deni. It's his surefire stardom in the NBA is why I want him. Whereas with you, you constantly preach about us needing a player to defend SFs in the NBA and then end up desiring a player who clearly doesnt have the traits to do so.

Ive just come to accept you and I have different eyes for these things. I was where you are at years ago. Maybe if you take this seriously, in a few years your eye for these things will develop. In comparison, objective knows his shit. This guy has great insights and really pays attention to detail.

Instead of stats... Tell me, how is he scoring? How fast does he look? Where does he like to shoot? Does he have good ball handling? What do you notice about his ball handling? Spacing? Does he hustle to get rebounds? Does he box out? There's so much more to pay attention to that's important to scouting a player.

Dejounte
08-16-2020, 11:04 PM
Here's the move I was referencing at 9:27:

https://youtu.be/DPAzGTz0mck

He uses the glass, too. That's an ELITE move. None of the prospects so far I've watched has that.

Degoat
08-17-2020, 12:41 AM
People aren’t gonna like it probably but if the spurs have the opportunity to trade our pick plus Lonnie to grab him you gotta do it imo. I can’t see Deni falling to us

Ignazzz
08-17-2020, 02:09 AM
Spurs will sell pick for cash ;))))
no cap space and 120.000.000 now

objective
08-17-2020, 03:22 AM

He uses the glass, too. That's an ELITE move. None of the prospects so far I've watched has that.

It's pretty legit.

One thing that stands out to me is how, like Doncic, he can go full speed and move anywhere while dribbling and passing on a string or going for his own and does it naturally. Doing that at speed and under control isn't easy, Dejounte Murray has played 4000 NBA minutes and can't match it.

Obviously he would need to work on his shooting, and I worry that he may not be able to guard SFs or bigger his first few years, but there's a lot to like.

By comparison, Bolmaro is like a discount Deni. Close on the playmaking, but the lack of vertical pop just limits him. I think I've seen every highlight clip of Bolmaro on YouTube including when he was a minor in the Argentine domestic league and I don't think he ever had a clean dunk, he managed to catch rim even when he scored. When a guy is 6-7 and can't clear rim and isn't a 3 point marksman, that's a worry.

No problem there with Deni, he can get it done.

DAF86
08-17-2020, 04:33 AM
His speed is the gamechanger. Also, his offensive arsenal seems advanced. Making an MJ fadeaway made me go whoa. But finally, his will to win. There's simply players who know what it takes to win and these guys always end up setting themselves apart from others.

To DAF86: Strength and length isnt the reason I want Deni. It's his surefire stardom in the NBA is why I want him. Whereas with you, you constantly preach about us needing a player to defend SFs in the NBA and then end up desiring a player who clearly doesnt have the traits to do so.

ive just come to accept you and I have different eyes for these things. I was where you are at years ago. Maybe if you take this seriously, in a few years your eye for these things will develop. In comparison, objective knows his shit. This guy has great insights and really pays attention to detail.

Instead of stats... Tell me, how is he scoring? How fast does he look? Where does he like to shoot? Does he have good ball handling? What do you notice about his ball handling? Spacing? Does he hustle to get rebounds? Does he box out? There's so much more to pay attention to that's important to scouting a player.

lol son, don't dare patronizing me. :lol I have more correct calls in hindsight in this site than you have takes in general.

I seriously doubt you have watched Avidja play more than me. In fact, have you even watched an entire game of him? Be real son.

I'm not saying "don't draft him". In fact, on my list of players to draft I think I have him at 4. I'm just stating the many, many reasons why he could be a complete bust on the NBA. He is a high ceiling, horrible low floor player. If he's available at 11 you probably have to take a shot at him.

RC_Drunkford
08-17-2020, 05:06 AM
It's pretty legit.

One thing that stands out to me is how, like Doncic, he can go full speed and move anywhere while dribbling and passing on a string or going for his own and does it naturally. Doing that at speed and under control isn't easy, Dejounte Murray has played 4000 NBA minutes and can't match it.

Avdija is a nice prospect, but he's nowhere close to Doncic. Doncic outplayed a prime Goran Dragic in a Euro Basket finale while only being 19-years old. It was clear as day that he's a superstar. Avdija on the other hand is 19 and averages 4 PPG in the euro league. Huge difference

DAF86
08-17-2020, 05:09 AM
Real question: anyone drooling over Avidja has even seen 1 complete game of him?

objective
08-17-2020, 05:34 AM
Real question: anyone drooling over Avidja has even seen 1 complete game of him?

Don't know if I'm considered to be drooling over him, but I think I watched a half of one of his limited minute games before the shutdowns and don't remember much. Probably against Olympiakos while watching only Milutinov minutes. I tend to find out a player then watch some and only get back to them closer to the draft if they are supposed to be in the general Spurs range. I tend not to want to see a lot of early season games from players that young, I want to see the late games after they've had the opportunity to incorporate their coaching and improve.

The bubble games are on my to-do list, and if I can find copies and see enough to change my mind, I'll change my mind. No big deal. If you have any youtube links to his bubble games, please share as I'd appreciate the chance to watch them.

Avdija is a nice prospect, but he's nowhere close to Doncic. Doncic outplayed a prime Goran Dragic in a Euro Basket finale while only being 19-years old. It was clear as day that he's a superstar. Avdija on the other hand is 19 and averages 4 PPG in the israeli league. Huge difference

I was comparing his command with the ball, how Avdija can come closer to making those kinds of plays than an experienced player like Dejounte Murray can. Obviously he can't score like Doncic and that's why I called him a Discount Doncic. Hell, call him a homeless, toothless, disabled Doncic if you want.

This draft doesn't have a top tier player like a Doncic or even an Ayton or a Trae Young. The players available are the players available, and I don't think Avdija will make it to 11. If he's there I would be happy if they picked him over say, Saddiq Bey or RJ Hampton or the likes that are currently mocked in that range.

Would I want him over Patrick Williams? Hard to say, I think Williams has a scoring potential that others don't believe in.

RC_Drunkford
08-17-2020, 05:48 AM

That's a turnaround fadeaway off the glass. I can do that. He has skills though, in the post and good shooting numbers already, which makes him an intriguing prospect. His passing is overrated though, he averages 2.6 assists on 1.9 turnovers. That's far from a good ratio

objective
08-17-2020, 06:17 AM
Avdija does get a lot of turnovers so that's one more reason why I'd like to see his bubble games in full. Though I do feel better in the abstract about a ballhandler trying things and committing turnovers than a non-playmaker who somehow racks up the turnovers (Samanic).

Scoff if you will, but I became more interested in Avdija in his bubble game clips on YouTube. Yes, the Israeli domestic league is pretty bad, but I've seen worse. I watched a bunch of Argentine domestic games to scout Luca Vildoza who was draftable a couple of years ago, now that league is real bad.

But he went from being a mostly bench player pre-bubble to starting every game in the bubble (12 game sample size), winning MVP, and one of his major red flags, free throw shooting, went up to 71.7% in the bubble from the trash it was pre-bubble.

I was more impressed by his bubble clips than before, though of course they're just clips and not full games.

duncan2150
08-17-2020, 06:29 AM
Avdija is nothing like Samanic... Their games are nothing alike.

Precious' appeal is his potential as a strong forward and to be a Kawhi/ Giannis/ LeBron stopper. His strength is unmatched. I go in-depth about this way back in this thread. I'm aware of his current weaknesses.

Agreed with that

duncan2150
08-17-2020, 06:36 AM
One thing about avdija is that he was good in euroleague a really good competition at the age of 19.

He was also the MVP of the euro u20 last summer.

objective
08-17-2020, 06:48 AM
I have found some full bubble games of Avdija to share that I will be watching this week. Make up your own minds on his play, no one needs to take my opinions for anything seriously.

First one I just started watching began with a great play. But I'll have to save the rest for some other time.

https://youtu.be/Lpl47KSV04k?t=14

https://youtu.be/15E8ImWHWv4

https://youtu.be/ZSB9m9sun70

RC_Drunkford
08-17-2020, 06:56 AM
the intriguing thing about Avdija is that he has a very advanced skillset at a very young age. He has good footwork in the post, a hook shot, can run in transition, finish with both hands, has great court vision, high Bball IQ, has playmaking ability, is long enough to play decent defense, is a good shooter, has improved his free throw percentage already and plays against grown men. Give him 3 years of development and he might be something close to Doncic if everything goes right.

Dejounte
08-17-2020, 07:06 AM
lol son, don't dare patronizing me. :lol I have more correct calls in hindsight in this site than you have takes in general.

I seriously doubt you have watched Avidja play more than me. In fact, have you even watched an entire game of him? Be real son.

I'm not saying "don't draft him". In fact, on my list of players to draft I think I have him at 4. I'm just stating the many, many reasons why he could be a complete bust on the NBA. He is a high ceiling, horrible low floor player. If he's available at 11 you probably have to take a shot at him.

I feel like this is one of those lines of questioning where anti-maskers are trying to find a "gotcha!" moment to find small victories in these arguments, while ignoring the rest of what's relevant to the discussion (like the points i shared to you in an earlier post which you *unsuprisingly* ignored). I dont feel like i need to engage with you further, since you're so stubborn in your ways. Like I said, we can talk again once you have things that aren't so basic ("he has a high chance to bust derp" yeah, well no shit, a lot of other prospects do too) to share, like what objective and a few other posters have brought to this thread.

Dejounte
08-17-2020, 07:15 AM
the intriguing thing about Avdija is that he has a very advanced skillset at a very young age. He has good footwork in the post, a hook shot, can run in transition, finish with both hands, has great court vision, high Bball IQ, has playmaking ability, is long enough to play decent defense, is a good shooter, has improved his free throw percentage already and plays against grown men. Give him 3 years of development and he might be something close to Doncic if everything goes right.

See, i dont think Avdija should be compared to Doncic at all when we're talking about style of play. Doncic is more like Magic Johnson on offense, while Avdija is more like Ginobili --a do it all scorer type, More speed, more upright body, will have electrifying passes here and there (but hes not an assist machine or a "general"/ head of the snake), hasnt learned to slither and finesse around as much but he's 19, and everything else about his play screams an offensive-give-it-his-all juggernaut.

BackHome
08-17-2020, 07:51 AM
Yeah I think in this draft more so then many some of these high picks will turn out to be bust just as long as it’s not our pick. Lol. And For The Love Of God can ya fools wait more then one game before you start claiming his is a bust. :bobo

BillMc
08-17-2020, 07:52 AM
When on Thursday is the lottery? At halftime of one of the games? If so, which game? Thanks in advance.

look_at_g_shred
08-17-2020, 08:35 AM
Has anyone seen that pic of Pop shaking Deni's hand a few summer's back? I think it's on his IG account. I'm sure PATFO has had their eye on him for a while. I think there is a good chance he's #1 on their board, just depends on what pick we get. Also, on one of the bubble games, they did an interview with someone ( i can't recall his postition) but when asked about the draft, he said they feel like they are going to come away with a very good player. Could just be a vanilla answer but yeah..

Dejounte
08-17-2020, 08:36 AM
Has anyone seen that pic of Pop shaking Deni's hand a few summer's back? I think it's on his IG account. I'm sure PATFO has had their eye on him for a while. I think there is a good chance he's #1 on their board, just depends on what pick we get. Also, on one of the bubble games, they did an interview with someone ( i can't recall his postition) but when asked about the draft, he said they feel like they are going to come away with a very good player. Could just be a vanilla answer but yeah..

David Telep, director of player personnel

look_at_g_shred
08-17-2020, 08:38 AM
David Telep, director of player personnel
Thanks brah..did you see it? What do you take from it?

Dejounte
08-17-2020, 08:46 AM
Thanks brah..did you see it? What do you take from it?

Yep, i made a post about it. Same as you. I get a sense that theyre confident that whoever they pick, theyll be happy about it. Probably means there's multiple players that they believe will be available at 11 that they view as equally good

wildbill2u
08-17-2020, 12:54 PM
He also seems willing and able to stick his nose in the paint and battle with some power for rebounds and nifty footwork for layins off the glass. I haven't seen a lot of other players that could be on our draft list, but if they have better skills and development potential I'd like to see them. he might have the potential to be the mythical SF with all the skills that we have been looking for. Wish list.

Thomas82
08-17-2020, 01:02 PM
When on Thursday is the lottery? At halftime of one of the games? If so, which game? Thanks in advance.

I was wondering the same thing myself.

barakz21
08-17-2020, 02:30 PM
I thought the lottery was today?

absoloot66
08-17-2020, 02:58 PM
See, i dont think Avdija should be compared to Doncic at all when we're talking about style of play. Doncic is more like Magic Johnson on offense, while Avdija is more like Ginobili --a do it all scorer type, More speed, more upright body, will have electrifying passes here and there (but hes not an assist machine or a "general"/ head of the snake), hasnt learned to slither and finesse around as much but he's 19, and everything else about his play screams an offensive-give-it-his-all juggernaut.:tu

I also saw glimpses of a big Manu in that clip you posted.

spurs50_
08-17-2020, 03:13 PM
So let me get this straight, so if the 11th pick comes and goes and still no Spurs ping pong ball, that means we are picking anywhere from 1-4?....I will be watching and wearing my lucky Manu jersey in hopes of a top 4 pick......Go Spurs!

Chinook
08-17-2020, 03:17 PM
So let me get this straight, so if the 11th pick comes and goes and still no Spurs ping pong ball, that means we are picking anywhere from 1-4?....I will be watching and wearing my lucky Many jersey in hopes of a top 4 pick......Go Spurs!

Yes.

pad300
08-17-2020, 03:37 PM

By comparison, Bolmaro is like a discount Deni. Close on the playmaking, but the lack of vertical pop just limits him. I think I've seen every highlight clip of Bolmaro on YouTube including when he was a minor in the Argentine domestic league and I don't think he ever had a clean dunk, he managed to catch rim even when he scored. When a guy is 6-7 and can't clear rim and isn't a 3 point marksman, that's a worry.

Bolmaro's issue isn't inability to dunk, he just doesn't shoot well in general. If he had a jump shot, he'd be in the top 5 in this draft...

Sugus
08-17-2020, 03:49 PM
He also seems willing and able to stick his nose in the paint and battle with some power for rebounds and nifty footwork for layins off the glass. I haven't seen a lot of other players that could be on our draft list, but if they have better skills and development potential I'd like to see them. he might have the potential to be the mythical SF with all the skills that we have been looking for. Wish list.

Agree with this. So many of the Spurs' roster issues would be alleviated or outright solved by having a strong, starting SF that could playmake, handle the ball, initiate offense for others or himself, and just not be a defensive liability. We could comfortably rotate our guards depending on matchup and would finally be able to play them at their natural position (or choose not to) if the situation requires it. Also, whilst I don't agree with the notion that simply being drafted by the Spurs automatically improves your shooting splits, I really think they're one of the teams that can help Deni achieve his potential not only in shooting, but playing in general, wheareas he might cap out as a role player on other teams. Having him rot in New York, Cleveland or Detroit would be a shame. If the Spurs jump into the lottery, he's my guy, otherwise I'm still strong on the Achiuwa train.

BackHome
08-17-2020, 04:12 PM
The question is to move up we would have to give up our 11th pick and probably Murray or a White is this kid worth that?

wildbill2u
08-17-2020, 04:19 PM
The question is to move up we would have to give up our 11th pick and probably Murray or a White is this kid worth that?

After two years in the league as a part time starter, Murray has not overcome his flaws to the extent that he is worth keeping over White. I would trade Murray to get a SF with great potential.

EasyMoney
08-17-2020, 04:26 PM
Giving up on 23 year old after 2 full seasons of play. Disgusting.

DAF86
08-17-2020, 04:30 PM
I feel like this is one of those lines of questioning where anti-maskers are trying to find a "gotcha!" moment to find small victories in these arguments, while ignoring the rest of what's relevant to the discussion (like the points i shared to you in an earlier post which you *unsuprisingly* ignored). I dont feel like i need to engage with you further, since you're so stubborn in your ways. Like I said, we can talk again once you have things that aren't so basic ("he has a high chance to bust derp" yeah, well no shit, a lot of other prospects do too) to share, like what objective and a few other posters have brought to this thread.

I already provided a lot of "non-basic" aspects of Avdija. If you want I can repeat them.

Strengths:

-ball handling for a player his size.
-mobility for a player his size.
-passing and vision.
-tries on defense (although he's a bit inconsistent on this regard).
-shooting potential.

Weaknesses:

-lacks length for his size.
-lacks strength.
-turnover prone.
-despite a decent enough form, doesn't actually shoot a good %. Neither on 3's nor FTs.
-can become timid on offense at times.

The problem with a player this kind is that he's pretty much "all-star or bust". If he doesn't become good enough to become a primary option of a team, I don't see him asjusting to a role playing part.

TD 21
08-17-2020, 06:30 PM
I already provided a lot of "non-basic" aspects of Avdija. If you want I can repeat them.

Strengths:

-passing and vision.
-shooting potential.

Weaknesses:

-lacks strength.
-turnover prone.
-despite a decent enough form, doesn't actually shoot a good %. Neither on 3's nor FTs.

The problem with a player this kind is that he's pretty much "all-star or bust". If he doesn't become good enough to become a primary option of a team, I don't see him asjusting to a role playing part.

Fair enough, but I still think if they luck into a top 3 pick (not predicting it, but conveniently many franchises who have been screwed had lottery luck in short order), he's the guy and if not, he's at least worth exploring trading up for.

You'd know better, but my sense is the ceiling is Hayward, the middle ground is Turkoglu and the floor is Osman. If he can even get close to Hayward, that's a near ideal fit with the youth/DeRozan replacement.

keithington1
08-17-2020, 06:52 PM
I feel like Okongwu is everything the Spurs need. Strong Defense. Can guard on the perimeter. Agile. Fits in nicely next to Samanic. Developing offensively. Smart. Good passer. Future franchise big. The Spurs can never seem to get important stops and he will be an eraser. Fits next to Aldridge. Poeltl would be gone.

Dejounte
08-17-2020, 06:59 PM

Strengths:

-passing and vision.
-shooting potential.

Weaknesses:

-lacks strength.
-turnover prone.

If 6'10 wingspan is okay Vassell in your eyes, why isn't it for Deni? Because he's taller? That doesn't make any sense.

Proof that he lacks strength? Please provide.

His percentages vastly improved post-covid. Percentages should be taken with a grain of salt anyway if the player boasts a nice shooting form. Look at Keldon shooting poorly in the Gleague.

Proof of timidity on offense? I especially call bullshit on this one. Please provide.

There's no reason to downplay Deni because you're in love with Vassell, the player I've trashed in earlier posts. That's what you're doing here.

TD 21
08-17-2020, 07:20 PM
I feel like Okongwu is everything the Spurs need. Strong Defense. Can guard on the perimeter. Agile. Fits in nicely next to Samanic. Developing offensively. Smart. Good passer. Future franchise big. The Spurs can never seem to get important stops and he will be an eraser. Fits next to Aldridge. Poeltl would be gone.

Some good points, but as much as I'd like to keep the big man lineage going strong here, in this era I wouldn't pick a big with non superstar (Davis, Jokic, Embiid, Towns) potential at the top of the draft.

Not only has the league done everything in their power to minimize their impact, but the position is oversaturated.

keithington1
08-17-2020, 08:20 PM
Some good points, but as much as I'd like to keep the big man lineage going strong here, in this era I wouldn't pick a big with non superstar (Davis, Jokic, Embiid, Towns) potential at the top of the draft.

Not only has the league done everything in their power to minimize their impact, but the position is oversaturated.Fair point. But who do you expect on this roster to stop those players and other superstars. Aldridge is getting old and Poeltl is soft. Spurs are lacking an impact player in the middle to cover everyone’s deficiencies. If the Spurs stop playing defense and try to outscore teams they will not win anymore championships in the near future. I don’t expect Okongwu to make it to 11 but I would seriously consider him 1-4

DAF86
08-17-2020, 08:38 PM
Fair enough, but I still think if they luck into a top 3 pick (not predicting it, but conveniently many franchises who have been screwed had lottery luck in short order), he's the guy and if not, he's at least worth exploring trading up for.

You'd know better, but my sense is the ceiling is Hayward, the middle ground is Turkoglu and the floor is Osman. If he can even get close to Hayward, that's a near ideal fit with the youth/DeRozan replacement.

I'm high on him too. Like I said, I have him in my top preferred picks. I was just pointing out that he's very far from sure thing. If he pans out, he can become the best player in the entire draft, if he doesn't, I see him out of the league in three years. Whereas as players like Vessel and Bey are for sure lower ceiling but they seem to have an assured role as 3 and D guys for a long time.

DAF86
08-17-2020, 08:50 PM
If 6'10 wingspan is okay Vassell in your eyes, why isn't it for Deni? Because he's taller? That doesn't make any sense.

According to this site, he has a 6'9" wingspan. Same as Keldon.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/deni-avdija/

Proof that he lacks strength? Please provide.

He gets bullied on the block quite a bit. Just watch any of the full games objective posted.

Proof of timidity on offense? I especially call bullshit on this one. Please provide.

He goes entire games where he doesn't shoot it more than 5 times. Again, just look at the first Game objective posted. I think he went 0 for 2 on that game.

There's no reason to downplay Deni because you're in love with Vassell, the player I've trashed in earlier posts. That's what you're doing here.

I'm not in love with Vassell :lol, I already told you I didn't see a single full game of his. I have, however, seen some games of Avdija and I'm just sharing my thoughts. I don't know where You got this idea that I'm shitting on the guy. I have already said that if he's there at 11 the Spurs would be dumb not to take a chance on him.

Dejounte
08-17-2020, 09:28 PM
According to this site, he has a 6'9" wingspan. Same as Keldon.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/deni-avdija/

He gets bullied on the block quite a bit. Just watch any of the full games objective posted.

He goes entire games where he doesn't shoot it more than 5 times. Again, just look at the first Game objective posted. I think he went 0 for 2 on that game.

I'm not in love with Vassell :lol, I already told you I didn't see a single full game of his. I have, however, seen some games of Avdija and I'm just sharing my thoughts. I don't know where You got this idea that I'm shitting on the guy. I have already said that if he's there at 11 the Spurs would be dumb not to take a chance on him.

On strength - Ive watched those games. Dont be lazy. Outside of 1 or 2 plays, I dont see it. Give time stamps like I did in a previous post when Ive had to prove a point.

So you pick a game where the team didnt need him to score. Nice. Let's ignore: 1) Maccabi's coach is known to game plan his offense around his veterans and 2) Deni averaged 18 ppg in this tournament, meaning if he was "timid" in this one or three games, he was consistently scoring in others and 3) euro leagues arent "superstar" centered so theres no reason to expect Deni to be the focus of an offense meaning if he appeared "timid" it was probably because the game plan didnt revolve around him needing to score

Context matters

timvp
08-17-2020, 09:29 PM

I've watched a couple full games of Bolmaro and, wow, I've never seen a prospect who appears to be in shape and moves around pretty well who can't jump at all. His passing highlights are impressive but it's difficult for me to look past his inability to jump. Add in his iffy shooting numbers and I haven't yet figured out how he's in the mix for being picked in the first round.

I'm trying to like him because of the possible backdoor connections the Spurs have in Argentina but ... I'm not there. I mean, old man Belinelli jumps higher.

DAF86
08-17-2020, 09:35 PM
On strength - Ive watched those games. Dont be lazy. Give time stamps like I did in a previous post when Ive had to prove a point.

So you pick a game where the team didnt need him to score. Nice. Let's ignore: 1) Maccabi's coach is known to game plan his offense around his veterans and 2) Deni averaged 18 ppg in this tournament, meaning if he was "timid" in this one or three games, he was consistently scoring in others and 3) euro leagues arent "superstar" centered so theres no reason to expect Deni to be the focus of an offense meaning if he appeared "timid" it was probably because the game plan didnt revolve around him needing to score

Context matters

Seeing how they lost by double digits, I'm sure his team needed a bit of scoring from him. :lol

DAF86
08-17-2020, 09:38 PM
I've watched a couple full games of Bolmaro and, wow, I've never seen a prospect who appears to be in shape and moves around pretty well who can't jump at all. His passing highlights are impressive but it's difficult for me to look past his inability to jump. Add in his iffy shooting numbers and I haven't yet figured out how he's in the mix for being picked in the first round.

I'm trying to like him because of the possible backdoor connections the Spurs have in Argentina but ... I'm not there. I mean, old man Belinelli jumps higher.

He's not a first rounder, imho. He might be available at the middle of the second round if the Spurs are interested.

Realdeal1
08-17-2020, 09:47 PM
So when is the draft lottery again?

ace3g
08-17-2020, 10:04 PM

Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed this. Was watching some highlight videos of him for the first time a few days ago and that stood out especially on break away drives. Very discouraging considering his height and age.

EasyMoney
08-17-2020, 10:14 PM
Precious achiuwa, anyone?

BackHome
08-17-2020, 10:35 PM
I like him but he can’t shoot and I don’t think you can say Chip is going to fix that shot if he does you gotta give him a big raise.

Thomas82
08-17-2020, 10:40 PM

He would be nice to have, but if we go big I think Wiseman would be the better fit.

Thomas82
08-17-2020, 10:40 PM
So when is the draft lottery again?

Thursday

Dejounte
08-17-2020, 10:44 PM
730 PM CST Thursday

Kurgan
08-17-2020, 11:45 PM
I like him but he can’t shoot and I don’t think you can say Chip is going to fix that shot if he does you gotta give him a big raise.

It's not just on Chip. The player has to put the work in too. We saw this with Kawhi and also Derrick White who both became great three point shooters. We've also seen players that don't put the time in and have stalled their development as a result(Murray who still has a suspect shot and a shitty handle)

BatManu20
08-18-2020, 04:43 AM
Avdija is a top-6 pick. He will be long gone by the time we’re on the clock. Depending on how the draft shakes out though, I think we’ll have a decent chance at a 3-and-D wing like Devin Vassell or Aaron Nesmith.

I prefer Nesmith but he’s got some injury concerns. Vassell May have a higher upside but he also has a poor shot selection at times. I think that’ll improve with some NBA coaching. We could use either one on this roster though.

duncan2150
08-18-2020, 05:10 AM
Precious achiuwa, anyone?

I like him, i think he is what we need defensively. He can guard 2/3 positions and he improves his shooting more than 1 attempt per game at 32.5%.

I like okongwu too. Wiseman and him are very interesting.

For the bigs I don't think it's bad to draft one because of the actual game. What you Need is a versatile big who is Not a liability on the pnr D, who can switch on some guards.

objective
08-18-2020, 05:49 AM
Bolmaro's issue isn't inability to dunk, he just doesn't shoot well in general. If he had a jump shot, he'd be in the top 5 in this draft...

Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed this. Was watching some highlight videos of him for the first time a few days ago and that stood out especially on break away drives. Very discouraging considering his height and age.

allow me to correct myself. I must not have watched everything or watched very closely, as he had 3 clean dunks in the U19 highlights here:

https://youtu.be/H1VAQ8_Qw9U

Dunk 1 causes him to celebrate maniacally, and dunk 2 appears to leave him inspecting his wrist.

He does clear the rim on occasion.

That being said, he did sign a 3 year extension to stay in Spain this past week, so he may slip to the second with buyout concerns, or just grabbed and stashed by Boston with one of their many picks.

objective
08-18-2020, 05:59 AM
damn, now I've found other videos of him dunking at the minor league or fiba level. Not on anyone, but minor dunks all the same.

Not impressive dunks. And they're outnumbered by layups that seem like dunks for anyone else that just die in front of the rim to become layups.

But I look to have been too harsh.

Still would get buried like Worthy in a dunk contest against Vinny though.

He needs some jumpsoles stat

BillMc
08-18-2020, 08:22 AM
730 PM CST Thursday
Thanks!!

Dex
08-18-2020, 08:51 AM
Are there any undersized combo guards in this draft?

I just want to know what name to expect :lol

look_at_g_shred
08-18-2020, 09:07 AM

Kira Lewis who's been shooting up the draft board apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AMQICcqhOU

BackHome
08-18-2020, 09:08 AM

lol this is my worst nightmare with Pop :bang

Degoat
08-18-2020, 11:17 AM
There’s a ton of combo guards in this draft lol

Dejounte
08-18-2020, 01:44 PM
https://youtu.be/dUByk2-TiSM

Some love again for Isaiah Stewart:

-saw double teams as a FRESHMAN, in one instance I saw he was being triple teamed
-would probably be an eventual Aldridge replacement, instead of a Rudy Gay one (which I would prefer)
-one of the youngest players in the draft
-old school post up big
-7'4" wing span, I believe
-friends with DJ and Keldon already on social media
-nice kid in interviews

Had he gone back to college for one more year, I could see him being a top 10 draft pick... In the same way that Obi Toppin was not even considered a lottery pick last year before deciding to go back to college.

https://youtu.be/cEAq8hc8vTI

bluebellmaniac
08-18-2020, 02:34 PM
2 days until the Lottery.... !!!

BillMc
08-18-2020, 02:41 PM

:lol

Chinook
08-18-2020, 02:52 PM

It wouldn't be the worst thing, honestly. I mean, I wouldn't love it at 11, but guard isn't a settled position, especially if Murray or White gets traded. In the post-DeRozan era, the Spurs are going to need perimeter players who can break down a defense. Only Walker has that potential right now.

Kira Lewis who's been shooting up the draft board apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AMQICcqhOU

Obviously that's a strengths video, but he looks to have a lot of what the team will need when pieces start coming together. The Spurs aren't lacking for big guards/small wings who have potential to defend. There'd be nothing wrong with drafting someone you think can be the engine to your offense.

Hence why they need to draft Toppin and not worry about his defense, but that's whatever.

BackHome
08-18-2020, 03:28 PM
Can you imagine if we luck out and fall in the top 4. Lol. :clap

Chinook
08-18-2020, 03:57 PM
I just saw some highlights for Paul Reed. He'd be an exciting pick for me if the Spurs can find a way to get into the middle of the draft. I could see Boston being willing to do 14 and 26/30 for 11. If Toppin is off the board, I'd be okay with doing that. Otherwise, the team might be able to move up from 41 by including cash, Milutinov and/or future seconds. Or there could be a number of other trades that could get such a pick. But I love the way the dude swarms on defense. He has that MKG-style horrendous shot and he might be Metu-like in terms of his ambition with the ball in his hands. But the way he just seems to absorb people he's guarding would have me very interested in him as a long-term role-playing piece in a new reign of Spurs defensive excellence. White, Walker, Johnson, Reed and Poeltl would be absolutely oppressive.

SpursBills
08-18-2020, 04:20 PM
I just saw some highlights for Paul Reed. He'd be an exciting pick for me if the Spurs can find a way to get into the middle of the draft. I could see Boston being willing to do 14 and 26/30 for 11. If Toppin is off the board, I'd be okay with doing that. Otherwise, the team might be able to move up from 41 by including cash, Milutinov and/or future seconds. Or there could be a number of other trades that could get such a pick. But I love the way the dude swarms on defense. He has that MKG-style horrendous shot and he might be Metu-like in terms of his ambition with the ball in his hands. But the way he just seems to absorb people he's guarding would have me very interested in him as a long-term role-playing piece in a new reign of Spurs defensive excellence. White, Walker, Johnson, Reed and Poeltl would be absolutely oppressive.

Some mocks have Cole Anthony falling down to late lottery. Before the season he was in contention for the number 1 overall pick. How would you feel about him at 11?

Dejounte
08-18-2020, 04:27 PM

Paul Reed was on my tier 3 list and wouldnt mind him if we traded down also. Would help with the defense for sure.

Dejounte
08-18-2020, 04:56 PM
https://twitter.com/KSATRJ/status/1295839737702502405?s=19

Come on #1 pick baby

Chinook
08-18-2020, 05:09 PM
Some mocks have Cole Anthony falling down to late lottery. Before the season he was in contention for the number 1 overall pick. How would you feel about him at 11?

I agree with what TD21 said about the how the Spurs should pick a guard if they think that guard can be star. But from the bit I've watched, I don't see a guy who can be the engine of a high-powered offense. If the Spurs specifically needed a guard, sure. But I don't think they do, even if they trade White or Murray. If the Spurs got a second pick in the late teens while moving a guard, then Anthony could make sense there. To get up to 11, I'd need a guy who's a better penetrator, not just a good scorer.

ace3g
08-18-2020, 06:25 PM
ESPN latest mock draft

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EfuBCPCWAAQGSFw?format=jpg&name=large

11. San Antonio Spurs (https://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs) | No. 1 pick odds: 2.0%https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mens-college-basketball/players/full/4396909.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=falseAaron Nesmith (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4396909/aaron-nesmith)
Vanderbilt
F
Nesmith's draft range: Nos. 8-15
Given DeMar DeRozan (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3978/demar-derozan)'s player option and age, finding a long-term starting wing will surely be a priority for the Spurs. Nesmith is arguably the best shooter in this class, especially off movement, and would fit seamlessly into the Spurs' culture with his work ethic.
Full Nesmith scouting report (https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable)

41. Spurs
Desmond Bane (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066320/desmond-bane) | TCU | G | Age: 22.1

TD 21
08-18-2020, 07:06 PM
Fair point. But who do you expect on this roster to stop those players and other superstars. Aldridge is getting old and Poeltl is soft. Spurs are lacking an impact player in the middle to cover everyone’s deficiencies. If the Spurs stop playing defense and try to outscore teams they will not win anymore championships in the near future. I don’t expect Okongwu to make it to 11 but I would seriously consider him 1-4

Poeltl is a very good defender in two of three areas: Rim protection and in space. Sure, he's a poor post defender (I doubt Okongwu will fare much better in this regard), but that's by far the least important of the three in today's game.

They're not winning a championship in the near future anyway, balance is what wins them and the league is more of an offensive one today.

Not that they'll all be long term fixtures, but most of the current youth either is either a plus or neutral defender. The biggest question mark lies in offense, where they have no centerpiece.

kht
08-18-2020, 07:43 PM
Well... let's hope we hand in the top 4 then...

objective
08-18-2020, 07:57 PM
Patrick Williams is climbing.

CBS moved him to #8 on their big boards, and now ESPN new mock has him at 12.

He might be gone before 11.

No joke, I think I'd want him in the top 4, I think he has that kind of potential

CBS (https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-draft-big-board-notable-risers-and-fallers-in-latest-top-100-prospect-rankings/)

. I think teams are higher on him than they are leading on -- I know at least two scouts who have him inside the lottery of their own rankings -- and I suspect that in a draft devoid of surefire wings that he's likely to be considered among those with the brightest long-term outlook.

Dejounte
08-18-2020, 08:05 PM

No joke, I think I'd want him in the top 4, I think he has that kind of potential

CBS (https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-draft-big-board-notable-risers-and-fallers-in-latest-top-100-prospect-rankings/)

Yet people want Devin fucking Vassell.

Watch them shift gears and want Pat now that a fucking article says it instead of using their eyes and brain. Thats how it is with a lot of people here.

OR

Like a certain pest on this forum will reply to this post saying theyre sticking to their guns because they'd rather be in denial than be wrong.

You look at Precious in that ESPN mock draft and he's placed 8th now. No one believed Precious should be higher more than I have. You just have to watch players and lean on your understanding vs others. It's that simple.

BatManu20
08-18-2020, 08:05 PM

I like him as a prospect and he’s really young too (just turned 19 last week), but if he goes before us then that just pushes another one of the original Top-10 guys down to us. So be it.

Dejounte
08-18-2020, 08:10 PM
I like him as a prospect and he’s really young, but if he goes before us then that just pushes down another one of the Top-10 guys down to us. So be it.

There is no "top 10". Its all what you make of it. Purely subjective. Dont be sheep. Even if you aggregate all the mock drafts out there, it won't be close to the actual best top 10 of the draft in a couple years. Just look at the fucking draft that included Derrick White, hes top 12 in that draft yet was drafted 29th.

BatManu20
08-18-2020, 08:13 PM
There is no "top 10". Its all what you make of it. Purely subjective. Dont be sheep. Even if you aggregate all the mock drafts out there, it won't be close to the actual best top 10 of the draft in a couple years. Just look at the fucking draft that included Derrick White, hes top 12 in that draft yet was drafted 29th.

Well they’re still going to get a talented player is my point. There’s more than 10 guys in this draft that could really help us. Spurs will do their due diligence and take the player they think will best help us for the next 5+ years.

ace3g
08-18-2020, 08:36 PM
1 Trade for Every NBA Lottery Team If It Wins No. 1 Pick
Greg Swartz (https://bleacherreport.com/users/330978) ** should have his writer's license revoked...

August 18, 2020

The Trade: 2020 No. 1 overall pick, PF Rudy Gay, PG Patty Mills, F Keldon Johnson to Cleveland Cavaliers for PF Kevin Love and G Collin Sexton

The San Antonio Spurs' 22-year-playoff streak is over, and they need to add significant talent to start another run next season.
Kevin Love, a five-time All-Star, and Collin Sexton, a 20-points-per-game scorer, would spark a starting lineup that could also include LaMarcus Aldridge (http://bleacherreport.com/lamarcus-aldridge), Dejounte Murray and DeMar DeRozan if DeRozan picks up his player option or signs a new deal.

LaMelo Ball or Anthony Edwards would make more sense for the Cleveland Cavaliers with Sexton gone, and either would join 2019 No. 5 pick Darius Garland in a revamped backcourt. The Cavs would save significant future money by swapping Love's contract for the expiring deals of Rudy Gay and Patty Mills, and Keldon Johnson would provide wing depth.

San Antonio likely won't commit to a rebuild with Gregg Popovich still coaching, so moving the first overall pick for established talent would be the right choice.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2904053-1-trade-for-every-nba-lottery-team-if-it-wins-no-1-pick

RC_Drunkford
08-18-2020, 08:53 PM
1 Trade for Every NBA Lottery Team If It Wins No. 1 Pick

Greg Swartz (https://bleacherreport.com/users/330978) ** should have his writer's license revoked...

August 18, 2020

The Trade: 2020 No. 1 overall pick, PF Rudy Gay, PG Patty Mills, F Keldon Johnson to Cleveland Cavaliers for PF Kevin Love and G Collin Sexton

The San Antonio Spurs' 22-year-playoff streak is over, and they need to add significant talent to start another run next season.
Kevin Love, a five-time All-Star, and Collin Sexton, a 20-points-per-game scorer, would spark a starting lineup that could also include LaMarcus Aldridge (http://bleacherreport.com/lamarcus-aldridge), Dejounte Murray and DeMar DeRozan if DeRozan picks up his player option or signs a new deal.

LaMelo Ball or Anthony Edwards would make more sense for the Cleveland Cavaliers with Sexton gone, and either would join 2019 No. 5 pick Darius Garland in a revamped backcourt. The Cavs would save significant future money by swapping Love's contract for the expiring deals of Rudy Gay and Patty Mills, and Keldon Johnson would provide wing depth.

San Antonio likely won't commit to a rebuild with Gregg Popovich still coaching, so moving the first overall pick for established talent would be the right choice.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2904053-1-trade-for-every-nba-lottery-team-if-it-wins-no-1-pick

the #1 pick AND Keldon Johnson for Kevin Love :lmao :lmao :lmao is this guy a Cavs fan or something?

Chinook
08-18-2020, 09:05 PM
OMG :lol He must be trolling. I wouldn't trade that for Lebron at this point.

DAF86
08-18-2020, 09:14 PM

My only problem with him is his lateral movement, which might prevent him from being a plus defender.

DAF86
08-18-2020, 09:16 PM
Yet people want Devin fucking Vassell.

Watch them shift gears and want Pat now that a fucking article says it instead of using their eyes and brain. Thats how it is with a lot of people here.

OR

Like a certain pest on this forum will reply to this post saying theyre sticking to their guns because they'd rather be in denial than be wrong.

You look at Precious in that ESPN mock draft and he's placed 8th now. No one believed Precious should be higher more than I have. You just have to watch players and lean on your understanding vs others. It's that simple.

Dude, if you don't want me to keep quoting you stop throwing hissy fits at me. :lol People don't agree with you, deal with it. Stop taking it so personal. :lol

Chinook
08-18-2020, 09:20 PM
Yeah, DeJounte, you're actually a good newish poster, and you bring a lot to the board, but you can't let DAFfy get under your skin like this. He and I probably butt heads more than anyone else on this side of the stairs, and we still don't have ill will toward each other and actually agree on some things.

Chinook
08-18-2020, 09:27 PM

I get it from seeing him. I don't really like the way he moves, but he's a big guy who seems to have a good nose for impact defensive plays and some offensive potential. He just didn't pop for me. I'm not even close to an amateur. I think I'm a decent amateur analyst for what's happening in the NBA, but I don't have the patience to watch film and pick out traits like you and a couple of other posters on here seem able to. With that said, I'd be wary of using a top-four pick on him. At 11, I'd be fine, because he checks boxes for what the team needs, and with Lyles and Gay, the team can take some time to develop him. At four, I think there are guys with higher floors AND higher ceilings. Though defense is important, a top-four pick would hopefully be the highest the team has in a long time. If they nail it, they could be a steady playoff team again. I don't necessarily want to use that on a full project unless he realistically has All-Star upside that he can reach while on his rookie deal.

Dejounte
08-18-2020, 10:01 PM
Pat is a riser in the same fashion Sekou Doumbouya was last year. The combine will shape the minds of these scouts. I see Isaiah as a riser right before the draft. Like who the fuck gets doubled, tripled as a freshman? It's not common.

D-Robinson 50 fan
08-18-2020, 10:06 PM
One thing about avdija is that he was good in euroleague a really good competition at the age of 19.

He was also the MVP of the euro u20 last summer.

his Israeli league numbers were solid but his Euroleague numbers were not. I read on real GM from actual Israeli league fans that he shouldn’t have gotten MVP also but that’s a different story that I’m not really going to research at this time.

Degoat
08-18-2020, 10:09 PM
It’ll be very interesting to see who may fall to us at 11 (if we don’t get lucky and land a top 4 pick) because I definitely see Precious and Pat going in the top 10

bluebellmaniac
08-19-2020, 12:43 AM
1 more day until the lottery. Thursday, 7:30 pm CT

DAF86
08-19-2020, 03:11 AM
ESPN latest mock draft

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EfuBCPCWAAQGSFw?format=jpg&name=large

11. San Antonio Spurs (https://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs) | No. 1 pick odds: 2.0%https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mens-college-basketball/players/full/4396909.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=falseAaron Nesmith (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4396909/aaron-nesmith)
Vanderbilt
F
Nesmith's draft range: Nos. 8-15
Given DeMar DeRozan (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3978/demar-derozan)'s player option and age, finding a long-term starting wing will surely be a priority for the Spurs. Nesmith is arguably the best shooter in this class, especially off movement, and would fit seamlessly into the Spurs' culture with his work ethic.
Full Nesmith scouting report (https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable)

41. Spurs
Desmond Bane (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066320/desmond-bane) | TCU | G | Age: 22.1

I hadn't check Nesmith yet. Not exactly what I would prefer but that shooting looks too tempting.

am25Vj5Nm6U

According to that video his strengths are shooting, defensive IQ, size and strength (for his position, which is more of a SG, than SF). And his weaknesses ball handling, first step, foot speed, playmaking (tunel vision) and injury concerns (yikes).

The video has him compared to Danny Green (if you assure me we would get a Danny Green for the next 5 to 7 years I would draft him with my eyes closed), but that catch and shoot ability coming off screens reminds me more of Klay Thompson. I wouldn't be oppossed to drafting him, tbh.

duncan2150
08-19-2020, 04:20 AM
I like him as a prospect and he’s really young too (just turned 19 last week), but if he goes before us then that just pushes another one of the original Top-10 guys down to us. So be it.

+1 even if there i's no top 10 in this draft but if Williams goes higher than 10 that probably give us a better choice.

Dejounte
08-19-2020, 08:16 AM
I'm lowering Onyeke Okongwu on my board. I'm changing my stance on players with no semblance of an offensive game. If they flash an advanced move or two, then there's potential there. But if all youre doing are layups, its concerning. The current Spurs team has no superstar where we can play 4v5 on the offensive end. There's no James Harden here (yet. Looking at you, Keldon). So, all of my prospects on my big board will shift a little because of the emphasis of having all players show some kind of skill on offense and lowering the standard for defense, because our defensive system usually funnels everything through to our center anyway (whenever our wings or guards get blown by). So, only the defense of center prospects remain critical.

In summary,
-Zeke Nnaji rises (both offense and defense impress)
-Tyler Bey falls (has the Devin Vassell syndrome on offense, takes stupid shots)
-Onyeke falls (no sign of an offensive game)

Tier 1 (high chance to be a star)
1. Deni Avdija
2. Obi Toppin

Tier 2 (some chance to be a star)
1A. Patrick Williams
1B. Precious Achiuwa
2. Isaiah Stewart
3. Zeke Nnaji

Tier 3 (high chance to be a solid role player)
1. Onyeke Okongwu
2. Jalen Smith
3. Paul Reed
4. Udoku Azubuike
5. Xavier Tillman
6. Tyler Bey
7. Daniel Oturu

Collins21
08-19-2020, 08:57 AM
I'm lowering Onyeke Okongwu on my board. I'm changing my stance on players with no semblance of an offensive game. If they flash an advanced move or two, then there's potential there. But if all youre doing are layups, its concerning. The current Spurs team has no superstar where we can play 4v5 on the offensive end. There's no James Harden here (yet. Looking at you, Keldon). So, all of my prospects on my big board will shift a little because of the emphasis of having all players show some kind of skill on offense and lowering the standard for defense, because our defensive system usually funnels everything through to our center anyway (whenever our wings or guards get blown by). So, only the defense of center prospects remain critical.

In summary,
-Zeke Nnaji rises (both offense and defense impress)
-Tyler Bey falls (has the Devin Vassell syndrome on offense, takes stupid shots)
-Onyeke falls (no sign of an offensive game)

Tier 1 (high chance to be a star)
1. Deni Avdija
2. Obi Toppin

Tier 2 (some chance to be a star)
1A. Patrick Williams
1B. Precious Achiuwa
2. Isaiah Stewart
3. Zeke Nnaji

Tier 3 (high chance to be a solid role player)
1. Onyeke Okongwu
2. Jalen Smith
3. Paul Reed
4. Udoku Azubuike
5. Xavier Tillman
6. Tyler Bey
7. Daniel Oturu

Aside from Deni Avdija and Obi Toppin I think he Spurs should draft Aaron Nesmith dude is a great shooter and would fit great with this team.

Dejounte
08-19-2020, 09:42 AM
Aside from Deni Avdija and Obi Toppin I think he Spurs should draft Aaron Nesmith dude is a great shooter and would fit great with this team.

Sure, I wouldnt be opposed. Im mostly fixated on size, thats why im not including any guards in my lists. I personally want to see us have more length.

No guard stands out to me anyway.

BackHome
08-19-2020, 09:43 AM
I could live with the above list as far Nesmith I like him but he has injury issue with his foot and we already have White with foot problems don’t need another at least not with our highest first pick in decades.

Dex
08-19-2020, 09:56 AM
the #1 pick AND Keldon Johnson for Kevin Love :lmao :lmao :lmao is this guy a Cavs fan or something?

Ah yes, the dynamic duo of Aldridge and Love. We stacked

Seventyniner
08-19-2020, 10:14 AM
Ah yes, the dynamic duo of Aldridge and Love. We stacked

I think I had toyed with some trade ideas where the Spurs ship out Aldridge and another minor asset (though not the 11th pick) and get back Love and the Cavs' lottery pick in a salary-dump move for them. But I don't think they're so desparate to dump salary as to lose a high draft pick. Maybe if 4 teams jump them and they pick at #5 (27.8% change) or #6 (20% chance).

Would taking on Love's contract be worth it if the Spurs were willing to include #11 and could move from #11 to #1 or #2? This assumes the Cavs get one of those picks in the lottery. I doubt it due to the Spurs' tight finances, but it might be the best chance to move to the top of the board if there is someone the Spurs really really want.

offset formation
08-19-2020, 10:38 AM

Which is why I'll give the benefit of the doubt that the Spurs braintrust will get the best player we can. Remembering of course that haven't drafted higher than MOTHERFUCKING 19th in the last 23 years. With the average being 25th or beyond for Timmy's tenure.

When you step back and think about it, that's just awe-inspiring that the Spurs got the players they have from where the pick. And it has already continued with DWhite, and Keldon, and potentially with DJ, Lonnie, and Luka. Hell we may have even found solid bench guys that stick around for years, recently in Witherspoon and Eubanks, LATE in the second round.

Point being, I have full faith that PATFO gets the guy that not only furthers the Spurs way and Spurs culture but that helps us win for the next decade and beyond, whether it's a center, PF, SF, SG, or even a PG.

It's gonna happen.

offset formation
08-19-2020, 10:40 AM
I think I had toyed with some trade ideas where the Spurs ship out Aldridge and another minor asset (though not the 11th pick) and get back Love and the Cavs' lottery pick in a salary-dump move for them. But I don't think they're so desparate to dump salary as to lose a high draft pick. Maybe if 4 teams jump them and they pick at #5 (27.8% change) or #6 (20% chance).

Would taking on Love's contract be worth it if the Spurs were willing to include #11 and could move from #11 to #1 or #2? This assumes the Cavs get one of those picks in the lottery. I doubt it due to the Spurs' tight finances, but it might be the best chance to move to the top of the board if there is someone the Spurs really really want.

I'm sure somebody could offer them more than we could.

RC_Drunkford
08-19-2020, 11:07 AM

Loves contract is horrendous. Nobody in their right mind would do this. Spurs got plenty of cap space to sign good players in 2021 they don't need Kevin Love to mess that up just to jump up 4-5 spots in a mediocre draft where the talent level is even

ace3g
08-19-2020, 11:10 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Efwm4YeXsAEaaxx?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1268544071578062849/QIG6_iqC_normal.jpg
San Antonio Spurs spurs
(https://twitter.com/spurs) 44m (https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1296106145535479809)
Tomorrow will be our first time in the #NBADraftLottery (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NBADraftLottery) in 22 years! #GoSpursGo (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GoSpursGo)

Dejounte
08-19-2020, 11:12 AM
Which is why I'll give the benefit of the doubt that the Spurs braintrust will get the best player we can. Remembering of course that haven't drafted higher than MOTHERFUCKING 19th in the last 23 years. With the average being 25th or beyond for Timmy's tenure.

When you step back and think about it, that's just awe-inspiring that the Spurs got the players they have from where the pick. And it has already continued with DWhite, and Keldon, and potentially with DJ, Lonnie, and Luka. Hell we may have even found solid bench guys that stick around for years, recently in Witherspoon and Eubanks, LATE in the second round.

Point being, I have full faith that PATFO gets the guy that not only furthers the Spurs way and Spurs culture but that helps us win for the next decade and beyond, whether it's a center, PF, SF, SG, or even a PG.

It's gonna happen.

For sure.

If the Spurs draft Devin fucking Vessell (which I highly doubt they will) then I'll put my ego aside and have a slither of hope that there is something in the guy that's worth it. The Spurs have earned more than enough trust from fans that they know how to draft players *more often than not*.

ace3g
08-19-2020, 11:21 AM
Tankathon's latest draft sim

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EfypK3sXkAA9lQI?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/876253047151898624/yHxi6HJt_normal.jpg
Tankathon.com @tankathon
(https://twitter.com/tankathon) 1h (https://twitter.com/tankathon/status/1296097233847320577)
Official sim of the day. Lottery is tomorrow! Pistons win for the second day in a row. Then 2-4 Hawks, Cavs, Spurs. tankathon.com (https://t.co/dkKqbnRuz5)

offset formation
08-19-2020, 11:25 AM

Tankathon.com @tankathon
(https://twitter.com/tankathon) 1h (https://twitter.com/tankathon/status/1296097233847320577)
Official sim of the day. Lottery is tomorrow! Pistons win for the second day in a row. Then 2-4 Hawks, Cavs, Spurs. tankathon.com (https://t.co/dkKqbnRuz5)

Lock it in.

stnick2261
08-19-2020, 01:52 PM
I haven't done a huge amount of research into the draft yet (even though I did just read the last 20 pages of this thread). Are there any websites that have the prospects divided into tiers? (franchise, all-star, solid starter, role player...)

BatManu20
08-19-2020, 01:52 PM
Isaac Okoro, Aaron Nesmith, & Patrick Williams are my favorite prospects right now that could potentially be available at 11.

Okoro will likely be gone and Williams is shooting up draft boards right now and I think he’ll be gone by the time we pick when it’s all said and done. Nesmith could fall right into our laps, though he does have that lingering foot injury.

Dejounte
08-19-2020, 02:06 PM
I haven't done a huge amount of research into the draft yet (even though I did just read the last 20 pages of this thread). Are there any websites that have the prospects divided into tiers? (franchise, all-star, solid starter, role player...)

Watch each prospect on your own. Trust your own eyes. Not these websites. You still have an advantage, youre still a blank slate. These websites will form unnecessary biases in your head. Dont do it.

Dejounte
08-19-2020, 02:10 PM
https://youtu.be/cC04PlZ6cOo

Isaiah Stewart's swarming defense on projected SF/PF Tyler Bey starting at 2:10

Also Stewart overpowering Onyeke Okongwu at 4:06

gambit1990
08-19-2020, 02:13 PM

Tankathon.com @tankathon
i said the spurs would land #4 last week...

ace3g
08-19-2020, 03:01 PM
https://img.bleacherreport.net/img/slides/photos/004/405/188/hi-res-a7957c7c79dede3ea9e1a74f3585f649_crop_exact.jpg?h= 533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top
11. San Antonio Spurs: Saddiq Bey (Villanova, SF/PF, Sophomore)

The draft class gets cloudy outside the top 8-10, so the Spurs may go with a player they can bank on. The 6'8", 216-pound Bey just shot 45.1 percent from three and offers off-ball shot-making versatility that seems guaranteed to translate.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2904419-2020-nba-mock-draft-lottery-simulation-and-1st-round-predictions

Robz4000
08-19-2020, 03:26 PM
Dubs are gonna get the first overall pick.

exstatic
08-19-2020, 03:30 PM
Dubs are gonna get the first overall pick.

It’s funny, but I run the tankathon simulator from time to time, and probably 15% of the time, GS gets pushed out of the top 4 to pick at 5. :lol

Dejounte
08-19-2020, 03:32 PM
I have the Spurs getting the 1st pick by the 2nd or 3rd try every time

BackHome
08-19-2020, 03:32 PM
Yeah some crazy mock drafts are coming out some guys moving up and some moving down. I am thinking if we stay at 11 we have a possibility to get Isaac Okoro, Killian Hayes, or Onyeka Okongwu.

look_at_g_shred
08-19-2020, 03:34 PM
Yeah some crazy mock drafts are coming out some guys moving up and some moving down. I am thinking if we stay at 11 we have a possibility to get Isaac Okoro, Killian Hayes, or Onyeka Okongwu.
Literally all those 3 will be gone at 11

exstatic
08-19-2020, 03:36 PM

A lot of stuff will change between now and the actual draft. Happens every year. Even the final mockS won’t be very close to what happens on draft night.

exstatic
08-19-2020, 03:40 PM

People thought that about Clarke lasyyear at about this point in the process. They also thought he had a 7 foot wingspan, and when it measured out at 6’8.25”, he dropped like a rock.

Dejounte
08-19-2020, 03:45 PM
A lot of stuff will change between now and the actual draft. Happens every year. Even the final mockS won’t be very close to what happens on draft night.

Exactly. I keep preaching this. Just because theyre being projected as top 10 doesnt mean theyll be top 10 in a few years. These mock drafts are unreliable. Form your own opinion. Think outside the box.

The likely reason the Spurs are so successful selecting the right players is they don't follow where the wind blows.

Dejounte
08-19-2020, 04:02 PM
For reference:

(I think it takes year 3 to understand what trajectory the player is heading)

Only two players of the top 10 in the 2017 are looking like stars.

Five out of the top 10 in 2016 are looking like borderline stars/ stars

3 out of 10 in 2015 are stars.

Keep this in perspective.

Theres a greater chance your Okoros, your Okongwus, hell, even your Deni's (but I doubt it) will bust. Watch as many videos as you can! Who LOOKS like they can be successful in the NBA? Don't fall for these mock drafts!

LOOK AT ALL THE PLAYERS. Even the ones projected to be drafted last in the first round.

Seventyniner
08-19-2020, 04:08 PM
It’s funny, but I run the tankathon simulator from time to time, and probably 15% of the time, GS gets pushed out of the top 4 to pick at 5. :lol

According to Tankathon, GS's chance of picking at #5 is 47.9%. You might be seeing unusually good luck for GS.

Seventyniner
08-19-2020, 04:10 PM
Just for shits and giggles I ran the lottery sim until the Spurs got a top 4 pick, then again until they got #1. It took 11 tries to get into the top 4 (at #4) and 2 more to get #1.

The next attempt get pick #3 on the 5th try, #4 on the 8th try, and #1 on the 38th try. I didn't pay attention to whether the Spurs got #11 or #12 though, I was only looking at the top 4. It was funny to see NO win the lottery twice in a row at one point.

Not that it means anything, though. The odds are clearly listed and the draw will only happen once.

TD 21
08-19-2020, 04:15 PM
I could see them going with Nesmith.

Vassell and Bey project as spot up types, which is fine, but this team needs dynamic shooting and an off movement one can be an offense unto themselves, while providing a secondary source of play making by warping the opposing defense. Also, unlike most of those types, he has decent enough physical tools to be a non liability defender. As an added bonus, he'd spell the end of Forbes.

Sure, he'd be another 2.5 as opposed to the more needed 3.5, but Bey will probably struggle to defend the overpowering big wings anyway.

Dex
08-19-2020, 04:47 PM
Just for shits and giggles I ran the lottery sim until the Spurs got a top 4 pick, then again until they got #1. It took 11 tries to get into the top 4 (at #4) and 2 more to get #1.

The next attempt get pick #3 on the 5th try, #4 on the 8th try, and #1 on the 38th try. I didn't pay attention to whether the Spurs got #11 or #12 though, I was only looking at the top 4. It was funny to see NO win the lottery twice in a row at one point.

Not that it means anything, though. The odds are clearly listed and the draw will only happen once.

Yep. It's fun to dream, but it's basically like trying to roll doubles to get out of jail in Monopoly.

We'll get one shot at it and 9% isn't anything to take to Vegas.

Russ
08-19-2020, 04:49 PM

Maybe Okoro, not the other two . . .

Probably . . .

People thought that about Clarke last year at about this point in the process. They also thought he had a 7 foot wingspan, and when it measured out at 6’8.25”, he dropped like a rock.

Unfortunately, no measurements this year . . .

BillMc
08-19-2020, 06:22 PM
I am staying up past 3:30 AM here just to watch a draft lottery. Man, I'm lame sometimes....

DPG21920
08-19-2020, 06:27 PM
I am staying up past 3:30 AM here just to watch a draft lottery. Man, I'm lame sometimes....

Will be worth it. I’ve already spoken SA into the top 3 cheers!

BillMc
08-19-2020, 06:28 PM

Hope you're right my friend. :bobo

pad300
08-19-2020, 07:04 PM

Huh, #12 here we come...

BillMc
08-19-2020, 07:05 PM
Anyone gotta link that will have the lottery? My TNT link does not actually have the studio show, just the games. Suspect the lottery won't be on.

bluebellmaniac
08-19-2020, 07:07 PM
Anyone gotta link that will have the lottery? My TNT link does not actually have the studio show, just the games. Suspect the lottery won't be on.

Yes, how is it being televised? What station is broadcasting it?

bluebellmaniac
08-19-2020, 07:07 PM

Gotta get my Firestick ready...

ace3g
08-19-2020, 07:20 PM

8:30 p.m. ET on ESPN

Russ
08-19-2020, 07:21 PM

ESPN has it live between the Milwaukee game and the Lakers game.

JuneJive
08-19-2020, 07:22 PM
Top 4.

Go.

objective
08-19-2020, 08:14 PM
I watched Nesmith's last 2 games against Auburn and SMU today. I guess he'd be okay if the health is there and some of the better choices are gone.

Very good shooter but not a whole lot else, not a creator, kind of a slow defender 1-on-1, better in help. Maybe a more projectable shooter than Vassell or Saddiq Bey, legit 6-6, but most of his games were against cupcakes. The relative success of Cam Johnson this year might give him a boost.

If I had to make comparisons: glass half-full: 2007 Michael Finley. Glass half-empty: 2009 Michael Finley.

Other random notes:

Okoro is kind of small. I know he's strong and bouncy etc, and listed at 6-5 barefoot from high school measurements but I am very skeptical. Nesmith was clearly bigger than him. I think he's smaller than Keldon. Unless Nesmith grew a bunch.

Hell, half the time he was defending Saben Lee, and while being clearly heavier and more muscled he didn't look much taller, and Lee is listed at 6-2. I wonder if there was a combine if he'd shrink like Zhaire Smith did.

Speaking of Saben Lee, he's staying in the draft though going undrafted in a lot of mocks ... I think he'd be an interesting UFA, maybe on a two-way. He has some craft around the rim and some three point range, could be a third string point guard

TXstbobcat
08-19-2020, 08:32 PM

sounds like a done deal to me! lol

Dejounte
08-19-2020, 08:43 PM
I watched Nesmith's last 2 games against Auburn and SMU today. I guess he'd be okay if the health is there and some of the better choices are gone.

Very good shooter but not a whole lot else, not a creator, kind of a slow defender 1-on-1, better in help. Maybe a more projectable shooter than Vassell or Saddiq Bey, legit 6-6, but most of his games were against cupcakes. The relative success of Cam Johnson this year might give him a boost.

If I had to make comparisons: glass half-full: 2007 Michael Finley. Glass half-empty: 2009 Michael Finley.

Other random notes:

Okoro is kind of small. I know he's strong and bouncy etc, and listed at 6-5 barefoot from high school measurements but I am very skeptical. Nesmith was clearly bigger than him. I think he's smaller than Keldon. Unless Nesmith grew a bunch.

Hell, half the time he was defending Saben Lee, and while being clearly heavier and more muscled he didn't look much taller, and Lee is listed at 6-2. I wonder if there was a combine if he'd shrink like Zhaire Smith did.

Speaking of Saben Lee, he's staying in the draft though going undrafted in a lot of mocks ... I think he'd be an interesting UFA, maybe on a two-way. He has some craft around the rim and some three point range, could be a third string point guard

No more shortys please

look_at_g_shred
08-19-2020, 08:51 PM
Man I’m going back to my first instinct, and it’s Patrick Williams. He has all the tools, has an NBA body already and he’s only turned 19 this month. Defensive instincts you can’t teach and all the potential on offense. This is MY GUY and I’m fine if the spurs stay at 11 because I’m confident we’ll have a good shot to get him. I really hope the spurs feel the same way. He’s exactly the player we need, and he has superstar potential if it all works out.

r0drig0lac
08-19-2020, 09:03 PM
1- Deni
2- Wiseman
3- Williams

ace3g
08-19-2020, 09:25 PM
I am on the Patrick Williams bandwagon.

playblair
08-19-2020, 09:34 PM
which apks/apps do u use ?

TXstbobcat
08-19-2020, 09:38 PM
Looks like Peter J Holt is going to represent the spurs at the 2020 lottery

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2020/8/18/21374468/peter-j-holt-will-represent-the-spurs-at-the-2020-nba-draft-lottery

TimDunkem
08-19-2020, 09:46 PM
What do you think P.J. Holt had to do to get his job?

Dejounte
08-19-2020, 10:27 PM
Man I’m going back to my first instinct, and it’s Patrick Williams. He has all the tools, has an NBA body already and he’s only turned 19 this month. Defensive instincts you can’t teach and all the potential on offense. This is MY GUY and I’m fine if the spurs stay at 11 because I’m confident we’ll have a good shot to get him. I really hope the spurs feel the same way. He’s exactly the player we need, and he has superstar potential if it all works out.

I wouldnt be as fast to say that and I like him. I do think his floor is past-his-prime T-Mac (still a decent player) and his ceiling could be what Jayson Tatum is right now.

TXstbobcat
08-19-2020, 11:26 PM
What do you think P.J. Holt had to do to get his job?

lucky dude was born into it.

bluebellmaniac
08-19-2020, 11:50 PM

For ESPN, Redbox

bluebellmaniac
08-19-2020, 11:55 PM

Pluto might be my second choice. Lots to choose from.

Sugus
08-20-2020, 12:43 AM
I wouldnt be as fast to say that and I like him. I do think his floor is past-his-prime T-Mac (still a decent player) and his ceiling could be what Jayson Tatum is right now.

After watching some tape on Williams, I don't know that he could be playing like Tatum is right now. He doesn't have a bad frame but I just don't see him putting on the muscle and mass that is so necessary for Tatum to shine like he does. I do like the prospect, but I'd prefer a stronger wing. Especially considering Luka might not put all that much weight on, we need some real size at the forward positions.

timvp
08-20-2020, 01:10 AM
Might be an unpopular opinion but if the Spurs get the first pick, right now my gun-to-my-head pick would be Anthony Edwards. Easily the best scoring prospect in the draft, IMO. You don't have to squint too much to see him landing somewhere between Bradley Beal and Eric Gordon. A short shooting guard is literally the position of least need on the Spurs but they have to go with the best player available. Edwards comes across as kinda goofy in interviews but you can chalk that up to youth. You can't teach his natural scoring instincts and he is a good enough passer already that you can project the possibility of building an offense around him. He also has some defensive potential if he decides to buy in on that end.

I like Ball too but he's a terrible fit for the "culture" and he has a much lower floor than Edwards.

timvp
08-20-2020, 01:18 AM
An international scout has been telling me for months that Deni is way overhyped. He says Israel is so desperate for a star that his team is doing everything possible to artificially boost his stock. For example, supposedly his Israeli League MVP was BS.

I'm still working through Deni's tape but I've been pretty whelmed so far. Good size, straight ahead speed, ballhandling and some craft but I haven't come across much depth yet. A perimeter player with low shooting percentages and no real ability to beat defenders in isolation? Meh. I haven't seen his most recent footage yet though so maybe it's in there...