PDA

View Full Version : official offseason thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 01:25 AM
it barely hit that there'll be no more spurs basketball until... ??? i'd bet on christmas day but the POs aren't supposed to end until october... so... maybe late-january?

anyways:

under contract
free agent
player option

la ($24)
marco
demar ($27.7)

dj ($14.3)
poeltl

rudy ($14)
forbes (thank god)

patty ($13.3)
eubanks

trey ($5.5)
quinndary

derrick ($3.5)

lonnie ($2.9)

luka ($2.8)

zeller ($2.4)

kj ($2)

metu ($1.7)

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 01:39 AM
i believe demar has seven days to make a decision on opting in, and i believe he will opt in 100%.

spurs don't have any real cap space but two things i think they should do:
-acquire an elite 3&D SF
-sign dwight howard

Fusternino
08-14-2020, 01:43 AM
Zeller?

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 01:54 AM
Zeller?
yeah, idk about his contract other then the amount is not fully guaranteed per: https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/SAS.html.

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 01:57 AM
IDK how it is now but it used to be that if you aren't in the POs then you can make trades.

unfortunately, i really don't see the spurs moving demar (at least until halfway thru the season).

maybe la will ask for trade to POR. you could hardly blame him. he has to be kicking himself... what was it, one year with TD, two with manu, and one with kawhi... sucks for him, he came to the spurs to win.

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 02:52 AM
watch POOP let one of these, if not all, walk so he can sign his friend....

we all know he cant help himself...

Plus this Covid 19 Hysteria and the ensuing inevitable economic meltdown is going to affect that salary cap.
ugh.

i was gonna say there's no way pop resigns forbes... that he's gonna treat him like boban.

but bryn hasn't been playing so his market value won't be anywhere near boban's... which makes me think the spurs might resign him :cry

my gut says they won't though.

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 02:54 AM
For Eubanks and Quindarry (are you sure its not a 2 year two way contract for Q)? on the Two way contracts
i'm just going by https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/SAS.html.

venitian navigator
08-14-2020, 03:35 AM
IDK how it is now but it used to be that if you aren't in the POs then you can make trades.

unfortunately, i really don't see the spurs moving demar (at least until halfway thru the season).

maybe la will ask for trade to POR. you could hardly blame him. he has to be kicking himself... what was it, one year with TD, two with manu, and one with kawhi... sucks for him, he came to the spurs to win.

He came to the spurs to win but he didn't behave as a winner should have done when the Spurs, with him and the big four still there, were effectively a contender. I know that he's a good player and probably the best one we had after the Kawhi saga, but I wouldn't be suprised to hear some years from now thet the main reason why Kawhi left was the too much deference shown by our FO to LA and his preferred (also if detrimental for the team) playing style...

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 05:26 AM
He came to the spurs to win but he didn't behave as a winner should have done when the Spurs, with him and the big four still there, were effectively a contender. I know that he's a good player and probably the best one we had after the Kawhi saga, but I wouldn't be suprised to hear some years from now thet the main reason why Kawhi left was the too much deference shown by our FO to LA and his preferred (also if detrimental for the team) playing style...
hmm, i really don't see that as being the main reason... if it was then the spurs could've adjusted their style or even shipped la out and problem solved.

also, kawhi was dead set on being in LA. that's where he wanted to be traded to... and during his free agency, i don't think he even flirted with another market.

if anything, i'd say:
a) kawhi wanted to be in LA
b) kawhi wasn't happy with who the FO was surrounding him with / there was that rumor that spurs didn't want to trade for paul george
c) tony parker's comments were the last straw

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 05:34 AM
actually, i put kawhi’s uncle being a fücking asshole as #1 on the list of why he wanted out of sa.

venitian navigator
08-14-2020, 06:05 AM
I Agree and I also agree with you comment above...but the b) part of it directly include the LA problem...simply because he was considered the main fit along with n°2 for making our team contenders for at least the next five years. What happened instead has been that LA for his character issues and playing style proved to be more committed in mantainig his nba player value than on winning at all costs puting himself at service of team goals. You want tom tell me that its not a disappointment for Kawhi passing the role of main player of the team after having accomplished the finals MVP? and pasing it to a very good player with no titles? a player that by himself has determined a sort of change in the philosophy and playing strategy of the team (from the team game of the "beautiful game" plus some iso plays for K to the "LA needs his touches above everybody else")?
I have been one of the most hard against Kawhi and his uncle because I really considered their behavior both dishonest and unappreciative for what the FO and the city of SA has done for them and their economical situation (considering the point from where they started), and I fankly have always considered their conduct as part of a fraud against the team.
Imho it was just a choice of convenience for us not to proceed against them by nba rules .
That said its obvious that a lot of the more recent team choices have been , simply said, completely wrong...

Starting from the Scola saga (he's still playing in Europe...always inesplicable to me how we never realized he could have been a very good player for us, expecially considering his Argentine connection with Manu) the main ones have been the Mills and Gasol extensions and the said above passing the main player torch from Kawhi to Lamarcus

But also the Toronto trade cant be considered exactly a win (till we'll see the KJ development)

and the Russell contract was simply awful

Enough to have more than a doubt on the lzst years team FO brain about contract extensions and free agents evaluation.

So, just to put an end on this post, no doubt that kawhi behavior has been horrible...but the last thing we can say, once some time is passed, is that :
a) He (and his uncle) made a wrong opportunistic choice;
b) Once he (rightly) considered himself the main player of the team, the team has done all the right moves to build the future of the team and in any case to appease his will and pride

SAGirl
08-14-2020, 06:27 AM
Wow that deal for Dejounte Murray... :cry
He has disappointed. I am in the camp that overestimated his value too. He may yet live up to a role that justifies that salary but it is looking like an overpay at this point, particularly when White is better and it doesn't look like they can afford to pay him without some kind of trade. There are potential trades in the future IMO, maybe LMA or Demar, but I can't let them see White just leave in FA when his time comes (because he has value, and they can get an asset for him at the very least, if they aren't going to pay him, but they should want to keep him.)

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-14-2020, 07:01 AM
What's with the totally negative bullshit on the site lately? People have wanted rebuilding since 2010 - this is rebuilding.

He has disappointed. I am in the camp that overestimated his value too. He may yet live up to a role that justifies that salary but it is looking like an overpay at this point,

DJM's extension hasn't even kicked in yet. He's still playing on $2 mil per and comfortably outperforming it. If he's this bad next season you might have a point, although the improvement in his shooting percentages from all over the field is already very encouraging. Kid's only 23. White was 23 when he debuted for the Spurs and he wasn't exactly good his first two seasons.

particularly when White is better and it doesn't look like they can afford to pay him without some kind of trade. There are potential trades in the future IMO, maybe LMA or Demar, but I can't let them see White just leave in FA when his time comes (because he has value, and they can get an asset for him at the very least, if they aren't going to pay him, but they should want to keep him.)

Totally wrong. They can keep him and they can do it easily without any moves if they want to. He's contracted for one more year. His possible extension/new contract will kick in in the summer where the Spurs have about $15 mil committed to the salary cap.

SAGirl
08-14-2020, 07:14 AM
DJM's extension hasn't even kicked in yet.
This is a thread about next season, so I am commenting on his salary for that season. That he was paid 2 mill this year has no place in a thread that is evaluating the roster and salaries for next year. And he was given the extension based on potential before this season. I do think we are all allowed to use our eyes to evaluate whether he would have gotten that money had he simply hit FA this summer. It's hindsight, but its a reasonable inference. I said he may yet live up to that extension, but it doesn't look like it right now based on marginal improvement. He improved his shot but he's not a volume shooter. His PG skills continue to be lacking and the more time goes by the more I am convinced that he simply is what he is in that regard...

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-14-2020, 07:25 AM
This is a thread about next season, so I am commenting on his salary for that season. That he was paid 2 mill this year has no place in a thread that is evaluating the roster and salaries for next year. And he was given the extension based on potential before this season. I do think we are all allowed to use our eyes to evaluate whether he would have gotten that money had he simply hit FA this summer. It's hindsight, but its a reasonable inference. I said he may yet live up to that extension, but it doesn't look like it right now based on marginal improvement. He improved his shot but he's not a volume shooter. His PG skills continue to be lacking and the more time goes by the more I am convinced that he simply is what he is in that regard...

Not sure what you've expected but his shooting improvement has been anything but marginal. He's also improved his assist to turnover %, so his decision making has been better, albeit still not great. People might have had unrealistic expectations, but I expect the Spurs would be quite happy with what he's shown post injury.

tbdog
08-14-2020, 09:10 AM
Murray is young and point guards usually takes longer time to blossum. You don't give up on a young pg. Heck, if he just becomes a consistent 3 point threat, he'll have a career like Patricks Beverly.

exstatic
08-14-2020, 09:15 AM

I don’t think you can move DeMar until his option date has passed. We also cannot trade with any team still in the bubble, in the playoffs, so a LaMarcus trade would also have to wait.

BackHome
08-14-2020, 09:51 AM
The Spurs took a gamble they could give him a decent contract since he was coming off injury or they could have let him come back and prove himself and then pay him a much bigger contract. I am not going to write him off but I will write him off next season as our starting PG that title is Whites. He should start but as a starter they need to leave him in as SG and tell him to run to corner and shoot the 3 ball he can take PG duties as backup PG with second unit.

I think Lyles has a 5 million option next year not sure if it’s players or team? I would not mind him coming back for one more year. My only issue is he is like Anderson in offense he never wants to shoot the 3 ball and when he does it’s feast or famine.

Rudy as I said before value is at an all time high from his bubble play I would try and work a trade if at all possible we need a rebuild and hopefully he can get us a mid late first rounder.

LMA - He has one more year if he is open to a trade to someone other then Portland then I would explore all options.

DEROZZ- I liked his play in the bubble he really stood out as someone willing to help the young guys and was putting up nice numbers. He has opted in for next year have no idea what Spurs will do with him long term?

Forbes - better be gone he is seriously stunting the growth of the kids.
Mills - if he is willing to sign a team friendly deal OK we need some role models on the team
Eubanks - Depends on who we draft and if LMA stays
Metu - I think will be released as he is not a Pop guy
Poodle - If LMA stays I could see him wanting to leave for starter position and more minutes hopefully we could work a sign and trade I think he could be flipped for a mid to late first rounder ie. Boston

Draft - Obi PF or Vassell at SF or Patrick Williams SF/PF or Saddia Bey SF/PF

But Spurs will probably draft Kira Lewis PG or Aleksej Pokuseuski PF.

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 01:45 PM
i think murray will improve enough to justify his contract.

the $ does increase year after year but at least the spurs will get to see what they have before they're paying him $16.6 and $17.7 the final two years.

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 01:46 PM
Murray is young and point guards usually takes longer time to blossum. You don't give up on a young pg. Heck, if he just becomes a consistent 3 point threat, he'll have a career like Patricks Beverly.
good point.

Dejounte
08-14-2020, 01:56 PM
Pat bev being paid 13 mil a year

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 02:13 PM
it's not saying a whole lot but i can definitely see murray being better than george hill.

GAustex
08-14-2020, 02:33 PM
No poop makes successful off season

And Forbes gone

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 02:33 PM
on demar:

Additionally, there aren't many teams that are projected to have cap space this offseason, limiting DeRozan's options. Other than the Spurs, the four teams that came to mind (https://ca.nba.com/news/free-agent-destinations-for-san-antonio-spurs-forward-demar-derozan/3njyxazjwcaf13dmmcra17ivf) when thinking about potential destinations for the four-time All-Star should he decide to test free agency are the Detroit Pistons (https://ca.nba.com/contestant/detroit-pistons/news/4uhocflc1adaeo3zuzwinuofe?_clref=Detroit%20Pistons ), New York Knicks (https://ca.nba.com/contestant/new-york-knicks/news/37l6h83vguf1x4i1ervkamlpo?_clref=New%20York%20Knic ks), Charlotte Hornets (https://ca.nba.com/contestant/charlotte-hornets/news/559r96itsc3o9wo42452od63z?_clref=Charlotte%20Horne ts) and Denver Nuggets (https://ca.nba.com/contestant/denver-nuggets/news/dyiwt9mhy41jesv1pwn8a38jb?_clref=Denver%20Nuggets) . Denver would give him the best chance of competing for a championship, whereas Detroit, New York and Charlotte would be his best chance of securing another big deal.

https://ca.nba.com/news/whats-next-for-san-antonio-spurs-forward-demar-derozan/x1o2998xuaat1sylxknsa0cbr

RC_Drunkford
08-14-2020, 03:10 PM
as far as forwards in free agency I would look at Saric, Otto Porter, Grant, Christian Wood, Gallinari and Harry Giles. As veteran bigs I'd look at Ibaka, Millsap and Marc Gasol. I think I would let Lyles walk and try to trade Gay after his bubble performance. He just can't keep that up for an entire season. Sign a young guy for starting PF and a vet for the bench

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 03:30 PM
as far as forwards in free agency I would look at Saric, Otto Porter, Grant, Christian Wood, Gallinari and Harry Giles. As veteran bigs I'd look at Ibaka, Millsap and Marc Gasol. I think I would let Lyles walk and try to trade Gay after his bubble performance. He just can't keep that up for an entire season. Sign a young guy for starting PF and a vet for the bench
i'd love gallo on the spurs. he actually managed to stay healthy this season.

i'd take gasol too. i don't see him commanding a lot of $.

look_at_g_shred
08-14-2020, 03:33 PM
Why the fuck would we sign gasol or any old vet? We are trying to play faster not fucking slower. Fuck no to the thought of another Gasol on this team. We can address the PF/C in the draft. Precious? Stewart? Let's not go backwards now..

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 03:50 PM
Why the fuck would we sign gasol or any old vet? We are trying to play faster not fucking slower. Fuck no to the thought of another Gasol on this team. We can address the PF/C in the draft. Precious? Stewart? Let's not go backwards now..
gasol wouldn't be a priority but poeltl will be a free agent.

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 03:50 PM
before the bubble, didn't poeltl say something along the lines of him looking at other teams during free agency?

RC_Drunkford
08-14-2020, 04:02 PM
before the bubble, didn't poeltl say something along the lines of him looking at other teams during free agency?

yeah he wants to start, but I don't see any team starting a player who will foul out in the 1st quarter. I think he stays, if he gets a higher offer I would look at a veteran big as a 1-year stop gap

ragas
08-14-2020, 04:09 PM
yeah he wants to start, but I don't see any team starting a player who will foul out in the 1st quarter. I think he stays, if he gets a higher offer I would look at a veteran big as a 1-year stop gap

No, that‘s not what he said. He said, he expected more minutes, but also that it‘s on him to earn it. He‘ll look at other teams but would also be willing to stay if he gets the chance for more minutes. We‘re talking 20+, but not starter minutes.

BackHome
08-14-2020, 04:38 PM
I would not be surprised if he comes back and I would not be surprised if he is traded.

poopbox
08-14-2020, 07:50 PM
Pau shit the bed here and some people want to bring in Marc he literally pouted so much with the grizzlies he got his coach fired :lol

cjw
08-14-2020, 08:26 PM

He’s restricted. Just trying to create some interest to show Spurs aren’t bidding against themselves. Spurs can match any contract he gets too.

This is not a year for a guy like Poeltl to be getting an outlandish offer sheet. Expect Spurs to be able to keep him for something reasonable.

lmbebo
08-14-2020, 08:45 PM
Don't expect a ton of movement this summer in general -- economic, virus, etc. Predict a quiet summer....

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 09:05 PM
like i said on the first page, spurs should target dwight howard. but if they can’t land him then i think marc gasol for a year would be a solid vet to have off the bench, he’s not gonna cost much. very much prefer him over trey and zeller.

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 09:32 PM
TBH, i've been hoping masai wants demar back. call me crazy, but hear me out: spurs send demar, murray, 2nd round pick for lowry and og.

spurs get a PG with a steady hand and a SF, both with championship experience. yeah, lowry is making $30 million his final year but after next season, la + lowry will come off the books.

dream lineup next year: lowry / white / og / la / howard. then you have keldon, lonnie, and the 1st round pick off the bench.

that's the 3rd (maybe 4th cause warriors) seed in the west next year baby. that's how you retool.

exstatic
08-14-2020, 09:35 PM
gasol wouldn't be a priority but poeltl will be a free agent.

He’s restricted, in a tight market. I doubt any team even gives him an offer.

lmbebo
08-14-2020, 09:37 PM
TBH, i've been hoping masai wants demar back. call me crazy, but hear me out: spurs send demar, murray, 2nd round pick for lowry and og.

spurs get a PG with a steady hand and a SF, both with championship experience. yeah, lowry is making $30 million his final year but after next season, la + lowry will come off the books.

dream lineup next year: lowry / white / og / la / howard. then you have keldon, lonnie, and the 1st round pick off the bench.

that's the 3rd (maybe 4th cause warriors) seed in the west next year baby. that's how you retool.

Meh ...

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 09:42 PM
is tony not a good mentor?

some of lonnie's layups are random af... it's like he's not even expecting the ball to go in, like 20% of him is expecting a foul call. sometimes it's like he's just pushing the basketball from him palm to rim area :lol it's just strange to see.

Degoat
08-14-2020, 10:19 PM
I wonder if and when they’ll do a draft combine

RC_Drunkford
08-15-2020, 07:05 AM

LaMarcus can't play PF anymore and I don't want a Center who has butt injuries cause some transvestites fucked em in the ass

gambit1990
08-15-2020, 11:36 AM
nets are expected to pursue pop.

gambit1990
08-15-2020, 11:40 AM
LaMarcus can't play PF anymore and I don't want a Center who has butt injuries cause some transvestites fucked em in the ass
sure he can.

and i used to be a dwight hater but he has been ballin for the lakers this season. should could definitely use his presence.

pad300
08-15-2020, 11:50 AM

That would be a good to great trade for the spurs, but there is no way TO is doing that...

Also, keep Dwight far away from my team please.

gambit1990
08-15-2020, 12:01 PM
before this season, i would not want dwight on the team.

he’s been solid though. he’d be the best C the spurs have had since duncan.

R. DeMurre
08-15-2020, 12:14 PM
Vlade Divac is out in Sacramento and Joe Dumars is in... I wonder how this will affect Bogdanovic and Bjelica? Bjelica was rumored to have been offered to the Lakers along with a pick for Kyle Kuzma at the trade deadline. I think the Lakers screwed up, not taking that deal. Bjelica's one of the most underrated players in the league and outperforms Kuzma per minute in rebounds, assists, blocks, steals, 3pt%, and 2pt%. He'd be a much better pairing with LeBron & AD than Kuzma, who is an advanced stats disaster. He's three years younger than LaMarcus, and doesn't have to be cajoled into taking three point shots. His contract is beyond reasonable. Perfect fit for this Spurs team.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/kings/nba-rumors-kings-made-nemanja-bjelica-kyle-kuzma-offer-lakers

look_at_g_shred
08-15-2020, 12:21 PM
I want Bogdan

Joseph Kony
08-15-2020, 12:54 PM
before this season, i would not want dwight on the team.

he’s been solid though. he’d be the best C the spurs have had since duncan.

Aldridge in 2018 and 2019 was far better than old Dwight Howard, c'mon son :lol

Joseph Kony
08-15-2020, 12:56 PM
Vlade Divac is out in Sacramento and Joe Dumars is in... I wonder how this will affect Bogdanovic and Bjelica? Bjelica was rumored to have been offered to the Lakers along with a pick for Kyle Kuzma at the trade deadline. I think the Lakers screwed up, not taking that deal. Bjelica's one of the most underrated players in the league and outperforms Kuzma per minute in rebounds, assists, blocks, steals, 3pt%, and 2pt%. He'd be a much better pairing with LeBron & AD than Kuzma, who is an advanced stats disaster. He's three years younger than LaMarcus, and doesn't have to be cajoled into taking three point shots. His contract is beyond reasonable. Perfect fit for this Spurs team.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/kings/nba-rumors-kings-made-nemanja-bjelica-kyle-kuzma-offer-lakers
Dumars has not always been the best GM, and given his style of play a player he may value a player like Dejounte Murray tbh...Spurs should look into a trade, because I agree Bjelica would be an underrated get, he'd be a great Bertans placement

gambit1990
08-15-2020, 12:59 PM
Aldridge in 2018 and 2019 was far better than old Dwight Howard, c'mon son :lol
i meant pure C. howard has always been an center in the nba.

gambit1990
08-15-2020, 01:01 PM
the dude has been revitalized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyqbQSauL0s

Dejounte
08-15-2020, 01:39 PM
Dwight Howard is a joke lmao

gambit1990
08-15-2020, 01:47 PM
not on the court.

Dejounte
08-15-2020, 01:52 PM
not on the court.

His antics off the court are not worth the trouble even for what he does on the court

I know youre infatuated by the guy but he doesnt move the needle and would probably be a distraction for other guys

gambit1990
08-15-2020, 01:54 PM
His antics off the court are not worth the trouble even for what he does on the court

I know youre infatuated by the guy but he doesnt move the needle and would probably be a distraction for other guys
DoEsNt MoVe ThE nEeDlE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b4VgCWfUkk

those are defensive highlights for just one month.

Leetonidas
08-15-2020, 01:57 PM
I would gladly take Howard on the roster if he didn't cause issues. He can still be a starting C on a lot of teams imo

Dejounte
08-15-2020, 02:03 PM
DoEsNt MoVe ThE nEeDlE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b4VgCWfUkk

those are defensive highlights for just one month.

Bruh highlights are made to make players look good. This guy wouldnt be a reason to make a team become a top 4 team

I get tired of the lazy takes by people here who dont pay attention or just go by bad scouting reports or worst, just the highlights

BackHome
08-15-2020, 03:02 PM
You don’t want Howard any where close to these young kids.

gambit1990
08-15-2020, 03:19 PM
This guy wouldnt be a reason to make a team become a top 4 team
i never said spurs + dwight = top 4 team.

I get tired of the lazy takes by people here who dont pay attention or just go by bad scouting reports or worst, just the highlights
:lmao

you're literally describing yourself:

i'm using game footage to support my view. where's your evidence that dwight is a joke on court?

itzsoweezee
08-15-2020, 04:26 PM
Teams likely to compete for the playoffs in the west next year (in no order):

1. Lakers
2. Clippers
3. Nuggets
4. Jazz
5. Rockets
6. Warriors
7. Blazers
8. Thunder
9. Mavericks
10. Suns
11. Grizzlies

I really hope the front office embraces the youth movement and ships off the vets. Two wasted seasons in a row accomplished nothing

Dejounte
08-15-2020, 04:36 PM
i never said spurs + dwight = top 4 team.

:lmao

you're literally describing yourself:

i'm using game footage to support my view. where's your evidence that dwight is a joke on court?

I didnt say he was a joke on court. I said he was a joke period, and i provide details in later posts. Dont say game footage when it's strictly just highlights. LeBron elevates his team and makes Dwight look like an asset, when he really isnt. Watch him go to another team next year and be forgotten again. Did you forget this dude had to beg to be on the Lakers when he was on the verge of being forced to retire because no one wanted him?

Truth4sale$
08-15-2020, 05:29 PM
I know everyone is disappointed the Spurs did not make the playoffs but we as fans and the organization were able to see some promising play from the prospects. I dont think major changes are needed by addition, only subtraction. The Spurs need to continue to see what these prospects can do over a full season. There will be likely be 5 months before the next season, and that is a lot of time for players to bulk up (Samanic) and work on deficiencies in their game after getting real NBA experience. I expect a big leap from our 2019 draftees.

Thomas82
08-15-2020, 05:44 PM
nets are expected to pursue pop.

Sean Marks denied that rumor quickly.

exstatic
08-15-2020, 06:14 PM
sure he can.

and i used to be a dwight hater but he has been ballin for the lakers this season. should could definitely use his presence.
He’s balling because it was literally his last chance. They got him into a room, and told him if he pulled any of the crap that he did in his previous stops, they would cut his minimum unguaranteed salary ass. He hasn’t turned over a new leaf, he’s just scared of being out of the league. It almost happened. If he gets any kind of money on the next deal, he’ll be back up to his old tricks.

BillMc
08-15-2020, 06:31 PM
He’s balling because it was literally his last chance. They got him into a room, and told him if he pulled any of the crap that he did in his previous stops, they would cut his minimum unguaranteed salary ass. He hasn’t turned over a new leaf, he’s just scared of being out of the league. It almost happened. If he gets any kind of money on the next deal, he’ll be back up to his old tricks.
Probably a similar conversation was held with Melo in Portland. Not that Melo was the clown Dwight is, but his selfish me-first ball-stopping ways had to end or he was done in the league.

gambit1990
08-15-2020, 07:03 PM
Sean Marks denied that rumor quickly.
i know he did in the past but i posted that today because there's reports of it again.

gambit1990
08-15-2020, 07:11 PM
betting odds don't equal indications but wow, pop is +175, surprising to me.

https://i.imgur.com/qw4XKN0.png

exstatic
08-15-2020, 07:33 PM
betting odds don't equal indications but wow, pop is +175, surprising to me.

https://i.imgur.com/qw4XKN0.png

:lol. Didn’t thibodeau just take the Knicks job?

Robz4000
08-15-2020, 07:41 PM
:lmao Tim Duncan even listed

gambit1990
08-15-2020, 08:22 PM
i wonder if the nets would wait until dantoni gets fired.

i'd take jeff van gundy over mark jackson and vaughn. i could see kd and kyrie wanting mark jackson out of those three though.

gambit1990
08-15-2020, 08:24 PM
i don't want pop to go to the nets. as much as we complain about him, kd and kyrie don't deserve him... pop would actually get them to the finals in year one. and i hate kd and kyrie.

Thomas82
08-15-2020, 09:12 PM
i know he did in the past but i posted that today because there's reports of it again.

Yeah, I saw it. I just thought he said it again today.

cd021
08-16-2020, 08:39 AM
https://nbacoaches.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Jacque-Vaughn-Extension.jpg

Do you think we can get a pick and Jacque Vaughn BACK for him?

I think Jauque is the type MENTORING POINT GAURD/ HEAD COACH Dj NEEDS.

Imagine Jauque making DJ "Oladipo LIGHT"

If not DJ, then Maybe Lonnie Walker IV is VicOladipo 2.0.

Oh the Possibilities.....

Coach trades are so rare, its hard to say. The only one that I know of is the Rivers to the Clippers trade. Pop is under contract for next season so I think that they have to give up a first in the highly unlikely event that Pop decides to leave San Antonio for Brooklyn.

BackHome
08-16-2020, 08:50 AM
Pop ain’t leaving it’s not his style at his age people don’t like major change nothing he wants is in the East Coast ie Wine

Dejounte
08-16-2020, 08:54 AM
Pop likely scrutinized Mute cancer for having no loyalty and yall expect him to do the same?

Dex
08-16-2020, 09:11 AM
He has disappointed. I am in the camp that overestimated his value too. He may yet live up to a role that justifies that salary but it is looking like an overpay at this point, particularly when White is better and it doesn't look like they can afford to pay him without some kind of trade. There are potential trades in the future IMO, maybe LMA or Demar, but I can't let them see White just leave in FA when his time comes (because he has value, and they can get an asset for him at the very least, if they aren't going to pay him, but they should want to keep him.)

At the time, it was universally lauded as a great contract too. Unfortunately, he has shown that all those workout videos are all just fluff so far.

He still has time to figure it out and make himself worth that contract, but I don't think he has the BBIQ to ever become a star level player. That All-Defensive team nod may have been fool's gold.

Dex
08-16-2020, 09:13 AM
https://nbacoaches.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Jacque-Vaughn-Extension.jpg

Do you think we can get a pick and Jacque Vaughn BACK for him?

I think Jauque is the type MENTORING POINT GAURD/ HEAD COACH Dj NEEDS.

Imagine Jauque making DJ "Oladipo LIGHT"

If not DJ, then Maybe Lonnie Walker IV is VicOladipo 2.0.

Oh the Possibilities.....

Whether or not you like Pop, you must be smoking the good stuff if you think the Spurs will EVER trade him or force him out.

For better or worse, Pop will leave on his terms, and that will be when he chooses to retire. I don't ever see him coaching another NBA team.

exstatic
08-16-2020, 10:07 AM
i wonder if the nets would wait until dantoni gets fired.

i'd take jeff van gundy over mark jackson and vaughn. i could see kd and kyrie wanting mark jackson out of those three though.

Mark Jackson isn’t that good. He had two playoff teams, but the second one wasn’t as good as the first, and Kerr came in and won three rings in four years. Jackson also had Raymond firmly nailed to the bench, failing to recognize his abilities. He also clashed with the GS ownership, not liking his gay son being in the front office. Jeebotards gonna jeebotard.

Dex
08-16-2020, 10:09 AM
i don't want pop to go to the nets. as much as we complain about him, kd and kyrie don't deserve him... pop would actually get them to the finals in year one. and i hate kd and kyrie.

Pop would literally murder KD and Kyrie by like the 2nd day of training camp.

GAustex
08-16-2020, 10:40 AM
Yes it would

gambit1990
08-16-2020, 01:37 PM
Mark Jackson isn’t that good. He had two playoff teams, but the second one wasn’t as good as the first, and Kerr came in and won three rings in four years. Jackson also had Raymond firmly nailed to the bench, failing to recognize his abilities. He also clashed with the GS ownership, not liking his gay son being in the front office. Jeebotards gonna jeebotard.
i know he sucks.

TD 21
08-16-2020, 03:15 PM

Please. Kerr himself said he had Green slated for a 10-15 mpg backup combo forward role, until Lee got injured in training camp, he became the starting four by default and the rest is history.

Their first championship, they didn't have to go through a single elite team due to historical opponent injury luck and their next two required begging the consensus second best player in the league to join them and destroy any semblance of competitive balance.

Don't kid yourself, from a management/coaching perspective, the majority of it is luck. The latest beneficiary is the Raptors, who have fallen ass backwards into their current situation and fooled people into thinking they have a secret sauce.

SAGirl
08-16-2020, 04:42 PM
At the time, it was universally lauded as a great contract too. Unfortunately, he has shown that all those workout videos are all just fluff so far.

He still has time to figure it out and make himself worth that contract, but I don't think he has the BBIQ to ever become a star level player. That All-Defensive team nod may have been fool's gold.
Yup, I was glad when he got it. It's unfortunate he has disappointed. I guess we could all give him another season, but I am definitely not as high on him as I used to be and I have a feeling the Spurs would be better off finding a good trade for him. Hoping to be wrong at this point and wishing him the best. The last thing I want as a fan is for him to not progress.

KobesAchilles
08-16-2020, 05:13 PM
Firstly, Tony isn't the mentoring type. Unless you are a wife of a teammate who sub in for you in crunch time during the NBA finals. Then Enrique becomes your BFF, always smiling at you, staying up late talking to you on the phone, SEXTING, and of course the old IN OUT.

Second. Tony has apparently being going through the end of yet ANOTHER marriage, and DJ seems to only meet his babes in IG so doubt TP see's him as a viable wing man to troll for babes.
He's getting another divorce? Link? just legit curious lol

gambit1990
08-16-2020, 05:46 PM
new article: https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/29663903/next-moves-spurs-trade-demar-derozan.

who’s gonna hook us up?

r0drig0lac
08-16-2020, 06:37 PM
new article: https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/29663903/next-moves-spurs-trade-demar-derozan.

who’s gonna hook us up?
Nets or Heat imo

JuneJive
08-16-2020, 06:57 PM
Does it say something we don't know?

Dverde
08-16-2020, 07:17 PM
Go Pop Go to New Jersey. Next two years contend for a title with KD and Kylie. Probably won’t work out, but better than this.

RC_Drunkford
08-16-2020, 07:31 PM
Pop can go to the Nets and take Bryn Forbes right with him. I'm sure KD and Kyrie need a shooter

BackHome
08-17-2020, 08:11 AM
Corona is causing a shit load of divorces that’s for sure.

gambit1990
08-17-2020, 11:34 AM
Corona is causing a shit load of divorces that’s for sure.
yeah, i just read an article about that actually.

gambit1990
08-17-2020, 11:57 AM
something to think about: demar's last contract was for 5 years / $139,000,000...

twilo73
08-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Not trying to be unreasonable. I know this is farfetched. But came across article in which Pop praised Jovic. Is there any way we can find a trade to get him? I'm 99% sure they don't want to trade him but just for fun can you guys think of a way to make it happen? I don't think we match up well but if we introduce a third team it might work out. I'm thinking Utah and Gobert going to Denver to mitigate the loss of Jovic. Thing is that after bubble I think some of our pieces like Walker, White, Murray and Poetl have increased value so its not like we get Jovic for LMA straight up. That's silly but DMD and some other pieces could get us Jovic signed for 3 more years. Add to it what we keep like KJ and two or three of Walker, White, Murray plus our lottery pick and we look very good. Again pipe dream but fun.

Genovaswitness
08-17-2020, 08:22 PM
damn kawhi's looking amazing right now. 3x finals MVP for sure :toast

Chinook
08-18-2020, 02:44 PM
https://rizemanagement.com/wp/wp-content/gallery/rrichards/RRichards.jpg

You know 2 way contracts the G League and the Spurs DEVELOPMENT program have certainly come a long way.

I dont think the 2 year 2 way contract was a thing in 2010 and the Austin Spurs where the Toros.

I cant help but wonder what kind of player RYAN RICHARDSON would have been if he was able to get one of those contracts back then....

Richards didn't want to work to get better. Had he been willing to come in humble and start from the bottom, he'd've made the roster. His skill level was almost unheard of for bigs a decade ago. But he forced his way over, got cut and ran back to Europe instead of going to the d-league where someone would have picked up him just for the potential alone.

Chinook
08-18-2020, 02:45 PM
Anyone else see those pics of LMA looking like Antonio McDyess now that he's old and slimmer?

ace3g
08-18-2020, 03:07 PM
Anyone else see those pics of LMA looking like Antonio McDyess now that he's old and slimmer?

CDpT3KZgnFm

CDRM-dCAkg6

Chinook
08-18-2020, 03:25 PM
CDpT3KZgnFm

CDRM-dCAkg6

Thanks. Especially in black and white, he reminds me of Dice. And I loved that old dude, even though he wasn't quite good enough to be what the Spurs needed. To this day, his tip-in against the Lakers ranks among my favorite moments of Spurs fandom.

Dex
08-18-2020, 03:26 PM
yeah, i just read an article about that actually.

This is why you marry someone you actually enjoy being around. My wife and I are actually enjoying it.

I can't imagine being cooped up in the same house with some of my exes for 5 months and counting, tho.

Robz4000
08-18-2020, 03:51 PM
Thanks. Especially in black and white, he reminds me of Dice. And I loved that old dude, even though he wasn't quite good enough to be what the Spurs needed. To this day, his tip-in against the Lakers ranks among my favorite moments of Spurs fandom.

Same

gambit1990
08-18-2020, 04:12 PM
This is why you marry someone you actually enjoy being around. My wife and I are actually enjoying it.

I can't imagine being cooped up in the same house with some of my exes for 5 months and counting, tho.
yeah, i can get why people are splitting but it is still sorta surprising, to me, given the economy.

but yeah, i wouldn't want to be cooped up so long with certain people either...

ace3g
08-18-2020, 06:33 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1264902234703265794/lC3YnIYF_normal.jpg

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

(https://twitter.com/wojespn) 32m (https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1295858171291066368)
NBA nearing final steps on moving draft combine to a virtual event at regional sites, sources say espn.com/nba/story/_/id… (https://t.co/sU49irhn8K)

BackHome
08-18-2020, 10:46 PM
Richards didn't want to work to get better. Had he been willing to come in humble and start from the bottom, he'd've made the roster. His skill level was almost unheard of for bigs a decade ago. But he forced his way over, got cut and ran back to Europe instead of going to the d-league where someone would have picked up him just for the potential alone.

I remember him dude had tons of potential in the end I don’t know if he didn’t want to work hard if he just had a screw loose? He has been bounced from one league after the other after he left the Spurs playing for some leagues I can’t even pronounce. Maybe he is just one of those free spirited people who want to see the world and don’t really care about making a name for themselves.

Darius Bieber
08-18-2020, 10:49 PM

I still remember Reggie Miller's comment on the replay of that tip-in... "That's game-time"

ragas
08-19-2020, 06:16 AM
like i said on the first page, spurs should target dwight howard. but if they can’t land him then i think marc gasol for a year would be a solid vet to have off the bench, he’s not gonna cost much. very much prefer him over trey and zeller.

Not so sure about Dwight Howard after Game 1.

ace3g
08-19-2020, 06:39 PM
Off-season goal: Find person who did this...

Phone and browser results in same use of word in sentence.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ef0Qy9vWoAMZbZJ?format=jpg&name=large

GAustex
08-19-2020, 06:48 PM
There is a chance they are referring to Tottenham though each would be reasonable

ace3g
08-19-2020, 06:58 PM
There is a chance they are referring to Tottenham though each would be reasonable

That idea did cross my mind.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/google-trolls-tottenham-with-dictionary-definition-of-lackadaisical-10003130.html

GAustex
08-19-2020, 07:09 PM
True story. I expanded my sports viewing in the early 2000s. EPL I watched. I needed a team. Of course the Spurs would be “my” team. Colors are close too.

ace3g
08-20-2020, 09:19 AM
Oct. 18: Free-agent negotiations can begin (6:00 p.m. ET)
Oct. 19-23: Free-agency moratorium (begins 12:01 a.m. ET)

First-round selections can sign contracts

Minimum contracts can be signed

Restricted free agents can sign an offer sheet

Third- and fourth-year rookie options can be exercised

Oct. 23: Free agency begins (12:00 p.m. ET)

Teams can sign free agents

Trades can become official

Rookie-scale and veteran contracts can be extended

Clock on offer sheets begins

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29256760/2020-nba-restart-key-dates-playoffs-draft-free-agency-schedule

Dejounte
08-20-2020, 09:25 AM
For some odd reason, DJ removed this post:

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/dejounte-murray-on-the-offseason-my-biggest-healthy-off-season

Dex
08-20-2020, 09:41 AM

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/dejounte-murray-on-the-offseason-my-biggest-healthy-off-season

Maybe he had his exit interview and Pop told him he isn't untouchable.

Murray seems to have the right attitude...on Instagram. He needs to back it up with his play on the court and frankly, he hasn't.

SAGirl
08-20-2020, 12:00 PM

Yea, it's odd he would remove it. It's a thankful and hopeful message for the fans...

He could have been informed that trades are possible and he is a candidate. Not necessarily that they are looking to trade him, but that Spurs are listening to offers. If he is uncertain of remaining in the team another season then the post doesn't make sense. That is what came to mind.

Dejounte
08-20-2020, 12:27 PM
Yea, it's odd he would remove it. It's a thankful and hopeful message for the fans...

He could have been informed that trades are possible and he is a candidate. Not necessarily that they are looking to trade him, but that Spurs are listening to offers. If he is uncertain of remaining in the team another season then the post doesn't make sense. That is what came to mind.

I feel like if it was that, with how sensitive he is, he would have removed everything Spurs related

gambit1990
08-20-2020, 01:10 PM

hmm...

ace3g
08-20-2020, 02:19 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1296526643373244419

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1264902234703265794/lC3YnIYF_normal.jpg (https://twitter.com/wojespn) Adrian Wojnarowski (https://twitter.com/wojespn) (https://twitter.com/wojespn) @wojespn (https://twitter.com/wojespn)

Front offices are privately concerned about the lack of salary cap and luxury tax projections in place prior to October 16 draft, which would allow them to make crucial decisions --- including on possible trades --- with a clearer understanding of the financial ramifications.
2:18pm · 20 Aug 2020 (https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1296527007371743232) · Twitter Web App (https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/how-to-tweet#source-labels)

Jsmythe
08-20-2020, 03:58 PM
Just read this article on fivethirtyeight.com about the top performers in the bubble. They calculated every player's WAR (wins above replacement) in the bubble games and Derrick White was #8, just ahead of Luka Doncic.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/who-made-the-most-of-the-nba-restart/

PLAYER
TEAM
OFFENSE
DEFENSE
TOTAL
WAR

James Harden
HOU
+15.0
+4.4
+19.4

Damian Lillard
POR

Devin Booker
PHO

Kawhi Leonard
LAC

Paul George
LAC

Nikola Vučević
ORL

Nemanja Bjelica
SAC

Derrick White
SAS

Luka Dončić
DAL

Gary Trent Jr.
POR

Bogdan Bogdanović
SAC

Chris Paul
OKC

Thomas Bryant
WAS

Nikola Jokić
DEN

Cameron Payne
PHO

objective
08-21-2020, 09:01 AM
I don't know if anyone else has posted something like this, but ...

If Pop's coming back, I think they could use another old codger assistant coach to be on the bench with him. I think he missed having a peer to commiserate with this past season.

I don't know the terms of his contract with being fired with 1 year left, but I think Gentry could be that guy. The coached together under Larry Brown, and Gentry at least used to have family in-laws in the area though I don't know if those relationships are still there and on good terms, but I think it'd be nice to have Gentry back.

Even if it's only to have an old comrade to complain to.

Dejounte
08-21-2020, 09:04 AM
I don't know if anyone else has posted something like this, but ...

If Pop's coming back, I think they could use another old codger assistant coach to be on the bench with him. I think he missed having a peer to commiserate with this past season.

I don't know the terms of his contract with being fired with 1 year left, but I think Gentry could be that guy. The coached together under Larry Brown, and Gentry at least used to have family in-laws in the area though I don't know if those relationships are still there and on good terms, but I think it'd be nice to have Gentry back.

Even if it's only to have an old comrade to complain to.

Kenny Atkinson would be nice

objective
08-21-2020, 09:15 AM
Kenny Atkinson would be nice

He would be, but he might still be able to grab the Bulls job, or Cleveland, or maybe the 76ers. Maybe if he's designated coach in waiting to Pop.

But also, he's pretty young at 53. I was thinking of an old guy who just sits in the bar or barber shop to be there for Pop to bitch to the young players these days, and Gentry would just sort of nod back as if to say, "You're damn right".

And at 65 with his number of stops, there's no way Gentry is ever getting another head coaching job. It's either retire or go back to being an assistant.

And Pop had hired him to come back as an assistant in like 2000 before he got the Clippers job after like a month. So Pop must like him (or liked him).

Chinook
08-21-2020, 09:21 AM
He would be, but he might still be able to grab the Bulls job, or Cleveland, or maybe the 76ers. Maybe if he's designated coach in waiting to Pop.

But also, he's pretty young at 53. I was thinking of an old guy who just sits in the bar or barber shop to be there for Pop to bitch to the young players these days, and Gentry would just sort of nod back as if to say, "You're damn right".

And at 65 with his number of stops, there's no way Gentry is ever getting another head coaching job. It's either retire or go back to being an assistant.

And Pop had hired him to come back as an assistant in like 2000 before he got the Clippers job after like a month. So Pop must like him (or liked him).

It doesn't hurt that Gentry is considered to be one of the best offensive coordinators in the league. The Spurs could use a fresh but experienced mind to try to make sense of the talented but flawed offensive pieces the roster has.

Dejounte
08-21-2020, 09:31 AM

I kind of feel the report that came out this year that the day before Kenny and the Nets parted ways, he had dinner with Pop (and RC too?). I think it has to mean something...

Excessive Egotist
08-21-2020, 11:41 AM
Hollinger has twice suggested Spurs send Rudy Gay to Golden State for Andre Iguodala's trade exception. He thinks a second round pick + trade exception would suffice. Seems light to me. Maybe a pair of seconds or Paschall or Smailagic? Any thoughts on Gay's value?

The exception would be helpful toward retaining Poeltl.

R. DeMurre
08-21-2020, 12:26 PM
Just read this article on fivethirtyeight.com about the top performers in the bubble. They calculated every player's WAR (wins above replacement) in the bubble games and Derrick White was #8, just ahead of Luka Doncic.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/who-made-the-most-of-the-nba-restart/

PLAYER
TEAM
OFFENSE
DEFENSE
TOTAL
WAR

James Harden
HOU
+15.0
+4.4
+19.4

Damian Lillard
POR

Devin Booker
PHO

Kawhi Leonard
LAC

Paul George
LAC

Nikola Vučević
ORL

Nemanja Bjelica
SAC

Derrick White
SAS

Luka Dončić
DAL

Gary Trent Jr.
POR

Bogdan Bogdanović
SAC

Chris Paul
OKC

Thomas Bryant
WAS

Nikola Jokić
DEN

Cameron Payne
PHO

Bjelica is like a supercharged version of Davis Bertans-- great shooter but he'll give you more rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals than Bertans. Lakers made a huge mistake IMO refusing Sacramento's offer of Bjelica and a pick for Kuzma. One of the most under-the-radar producers in the league.

r0drig0lac
08-21-2020, 12:35 PM
Bjelica is like a supercharged version of Davis Bertans-- great shooter but he'll give you more rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals than Bertans. Lakers made a huge mistake IMO refusing Sacramento's offer of Bjelica and a pick for Kuzma. One of the most under-the-radar producers in the league.
with Divac out of the sacrament, Bogdan and Bjelica should be possible targets for SA.

Chinook
08-21-2020, 01:21 PM
Hollinger has twice suggested Spurs send Rudy Gay to Golden State for Andre Iguodala's trade exception. He thinks a second round pick + trade exception would suffice. Seems light to me. Maybe a pair of seconds or Paschall or Smailagic? Any thoughts on Gay's value?

Depends on the second (s). I have little interest in getting both 48 and 51 from the Warriors, especially given that the Spurs might be trading off more vets for pick while already having 41. But some future seconds might be good. Regardless, I'd like to shoot for a bigger deal with GS. I don't think Rudy has a ton of value around the league. Maybe LAL, MKE or BKN would want him, but I don't really see the value there except maybe the Lakers for 28

gambit1990
08-21-2020, 01:54 PM
He would be, but he might still be able to grab the Bulls job, or Cleveland, or maybe the 76ers.
yeah, i think pop will coach this upcoming season... KA will be in philly.

Excessive Egotist
08-21-2020, 02:09 PM
Relative to BKN, they can't player transact with Spurs if they're also serious about trading for Popovich. Coach transactions can't happen in same basketball calendar year as player transactions with same team. I know that's in the weeds, but FWIW.

Thomas82
08-21-2020, 02:33 PM

Depends on the second (s). I have little interest in getting both 48 and 51 from the Warriors, especially given that the Spurs might be trading off more vets for pick while already having 41. But some future seconds might be good. Regardless, I'd like to shoot for a bigger deal with GS. I don't think Rudy has a ton of value around the league. Maybe LAL, MKE or BKN would want him, but I don't really see the value there except maybe the Lakers for 28

Right!! If you want to deal with the Warriors you might as well go big. I would see what they want for the No. 2 pick since they're looking to trade it. If I can get it from them, I would use it on James Wiseman.

gambit1990
08-21-2020, 02:34 PM
Relative to BKN, they can't player transact with Spurs if they're also serious about trading for Popovich. Coach transactions can't happen in same basketball calendar year as player transactions with same team. I know that's in the weeds, but FWIW.
good to know. it does seem like that would be a conflict of interest.

gambit1990
08-21-2020, 04:13 PM
https://imgur.com/3f3efa71-c85e-41d0-be24-26ba4e90acbchttps://i.imgur.com/0DidNXi.png

ace3g
08-21-2020, 05:52 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1264902234703265794/lC3YnIYF_normal.jpg (https://twitter.com/wojespn) Adrian Wojnarowski (https://twitter.com/wojespn) (https://twitter.com/wojespn) @wojespn (https://twitter.com/wojespn)

ESPN story on NBA’s Board of Governors discussing the delay of the draft, free agency and start of 2020-2021 season on call today. es.pn/2FGzE4x (https://t.co/CTllgpcJv4)
3:48pm · 21 Aug 2020 (https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1296912127047892993) · Twitter for iPhone (https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/how-to-tweet#source-labels)

Dejounte
08-21-2020, 06:14 PM
Dejounte posted today "I pray the Lord protect the path im going"

He gone?

gambit1990
08-21-2020, 06:34 PM

He gone?
just saw that.

SAGirl
08-21-2020, 09:22 PM

He gone?
Could be anything but it does tell us where his mind is at. I am thinking it's possible. I think Spurs have to look at trades if they are near the luxury tax like it's already been mentioned by other people here.

gambit1990
08-21-2020, 11:16 PM
kawhi balled out... again :depressed

gambit1990
08-22-2020, 03:38 PM
did you guys see demar’s dumbäss tweet? :lmao

Sugus
08-22-2020, 07:01 PM
did you guys see demar’s dumbäss tweet? :lmao

No, link?

GAustex
08-22-2020, 07:06 PM
you can look it up

cd021
08-22-2020, 07:07 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1264902234703265794/lC3YnIYF_normal.jpg (https://twitter.com/wojespn) Adrian Wojnarowski (https://twitter.com/wojespn) @wojespn (https://twitter.com/wojespn)

ESPN story on NBA’s Board of Governors discussing the delay of the draft, free agency and start of 2020-2021 season on call today. es.pn/2FGzE4x (https://t.co/CTllgpcJv4)
3:48pm · 21 Aug 2020 (https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1296912127047892993) · Twitter for iPhone (https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/how-to-tweet#source-labels)

If their pushing all of theses back several weeks then that means that the NBA calendar might permanently be affected.

Sugus
08-22-2020, 07:16 PM
you can look it up

I don't use twitter at all, don't even have an account, or know DeMar's handle. I don't care enough to look it up, tbh, but I'll give it a laugh if someone else posts it.

buttsR4rebounding
08-22-2020, 09:59 PM

He gone?

Maybe they just told him he needed to score like a 2 now because he lacks the court vision, handles and passing instincts to be a 1.

Dancelot
08-22-2020, 10:49 PM
Would you trade Aldridge for Horford and a first round pick? For some reason that been in my head. Gets philly out of that contract and gifts the spurs a pick for absorbing it.

gambit1990
08-22-2020, 11:02 PM
more and more i'm thinking the spurs should move la...

but do not move him and keep demar.

Atl Spur
08-23-2020, 12:56 AM
I think they will make major changes this off season......

Prime BEEF
08-23-2020, 04:04 AM
Trades:

LMA/Gay/11th pick to Hornets for Batum/Zeller/3rd pick/32nd pick

DDR/Murray to Bulls for OPJ/LaVine

Starting Lineup:
PG-White
SG-LaVine
SF-OPJ
PF-Toppin
C-Poetl or Zeller

id go after Reed and Nwora with the 2 2nd rd picks

tbdog
08-23-2020, 05:08 AM
Spurs not giving up on Murray this early.

DAF86
08-23-2020, 05:38 AM

Bjelica is a fucking stud. Would love to have him on the Spurs. Do the Kings really offer Bjelica + a pick for Kuzma? That's insane. Bjelica >>> Kuzma.

CGD
08-23-2020, 06:13 AM
Would you trade Aldridge for Horford and a first round pick? For some reason that been in my head. Gets philly out of that contract and gifts the spurs a pick for absorbing it.

That’s a MASSIVE contract. I’d want more that just a late 20th pick.

Thomas82
08-23-2020, 09:33 AM
Trades:

Starting Lineup:
PG-White
SG-LaVine
SF-OPJ
PF-Toppin
C-Poetl or Zeller

I like that deal with the Hornets, but if the Warriors didn't take him, I would definitely get Wiseman.

Dex
08-23-2020, 09:59 AM
Trades:

Starting Lineup:
PG-White
SG-LaVine
SF-OPJ
PF-Toppin
C-Poetl or Zeller

Paying 27M for Nic Batum next season? No thanks

mo7888
08-23-2020, 11:08 AM
Trades:

Starting Lineup:
PG-White
SG-LaVine
SF-OPJ
PF-Toppin
C-Poetl or Zeller

I'm not sure Charlotte would do that but from our perspective I'd be in favor of it. I'd pass on the Chicago part of that trade. I think we could extract more value trading Murray and DDR separately.

BillMc
08-23-2020, 11:20 AM
What do you guys think Trey's future with the team should be? He's still young (younger than White and Forbes). Is he worth keeping around to see if he can develop? Or is he already a journeyman and known quantity. Could he be a late bloomer?

NASpurs
08-23-2020, 11:27 AM
What do you guys think Trey's future with the team should be? He's still young (younger than White and Forbes). Is he worth keeping around to see if he can develop? Or is he already a journeyman and known quantity. Could he be a late bloomer?

I don’t mind him as a bench player but he’s definitely not a starter yet Pop sure loves to put 9th, 10th role men in that over-their-heads, starting positions.

mo7888
08-23-2020, 11:32 AM

I feel like we know what he is. I don't see him as a late bloomer because I don't see the drive and work ethic to take him to another level. The skill is there but the drive doesn't seem to be. That said, I'd keep him unless we feel like we need the cap space for another move of some sort.

Realdeal1
08-23-2020, 03:56 PM
With the Sixers possibly blowing up their team ... any chance to trade for one of their stars Embid or Simmons?

BackHome
08-23-2020, 04:56 PM
Looking at Philly you see what shitty coaching and shitty management can make a team with talent not live anywhere close to where it should.

Russ
08-23-2020, 05:09 PM
With the Sixers possibly blowing up their team ... any chance to trade for one of their stars Embid or Simmons?

Probably a bigger chance of getting Brett Brown to come back as an assistant.

Chinook
08-23-2020, 05:53 PM
Probably a bigger chance of getting Brett Brown to come back as an assistant.

That'd be great actually, though I would be worried he'd be next in line to coach.

Might get Ime to come back, though. I'd love to see what he could do with Johnson and maybe the new draft pick.

Chinook
08-23-2020, 05:55 PM
Looking at Philly you see what shitty coaching and shitty management can make a team with talent not live anywhere close to where it should.

The issue is that they had shitty talent too. Way to many folks (not saying you) believed they pissed away the hand Hinkie got for them. Truth is, they never had a good foundation. The only way it would've worked differently is if they would've drafted a superstar in one of these years. Besides that, the closest they got was when they refused to trade for Leonard, and Hinkie wouldn't've done that either.

Dejounte
08-23-2020, 05:57 PM
Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid isnt a good foundation?

Rocalcio
08-23-2020, 05:59 PM
Don’t get me wrong, I hate Dallas, but I want to see that Doncic kid going as far as possible in the offseason. What a game he had once again...

Chinook
08-23-2020, 06:01 PM

No. Embiid can't stay healthy and has character issues, and Simmons can't shoot, can't stay healthy and has character issues. They're not a duo that looks able to contend, so quibbling about better guys being around them doesn't mean anything. They needed someone to come in and essentially push them down a notch. Only one such player has been drafted since Hinkie was let go, and that's Doncic. Kawhi could've done it, but they decided to play hard ball for some reason.

Dejounte
08-23-2020, 06:07 PM
No. Embiid can't stay healthy and has character issues, and Simmons can't shoot, can't stay healthy and has character issues. They're not a duo that looks able to contend, so quibbling about better guys being around them doesn't mean anything. They needed someone to come in and essentially push them down a notch. Only one such player has been drafted since Hinkie was let go, and that's Doncic. Kawhi could've done it, but they decided to play hard ball for some reason.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think you're in the minority with this opinion... i think Spurs fans would gladly trade this whole roster to have those two guys. Contending wise is all hypothetical, but you just have to look at all that talent and think it can be harnessed better with a more serious organization like the Spurs.

BillMc
08-23-2020, 06:24 PM
Don’t get me wrong, I hate Dallas, but I want to see that Doncic kid going as far as possible in the offseason. What a game he had once again...

If he eliminates Nephew and Morris I'll be eternally grateful. Still unlikely though.

ace3g
08-23-2020, 09:12 PM
Still weird that we would already have named an NBA Champion and be 1 month into free agency by now.

KobesAchilles
08-23-2020, 09:21 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but I think you're in the minority with this opinion... i think Spurs fans would gladly trade this whole roster to have those two guys. Contending wise is all hypothetical, but you just have to look at all that talent and think it can be harnessed better with a more serious organization like the Spurs.
Embiid would be a perfect fit here. What kind of idiot puts Embiid on the 3 point line bc Simmons can’t shoot. Nah buddy. Get working on your fucking jumper or come off the bench. I would give it to Embiid every time on the block and when Simmons guy doubles off bc he has a worse jumper than Rodman I would light into Simmons in film sessions. The coddled that kid too much and this is the result. Dating a Jenner instead of working on his game.

poopbox
08-23-2020, 09:26 PM

A guy who won't shoot and a guy who is habitually out of shape and injured ?

Realdeal1
08-23-2020, 09:51 PM
I’d be happy with core group of

Joel Embiid
Derek White
Lonnie Walker
Keldon Johnson
Jacob Poetl

Chinook
08-23-2020, 10:43 PM

I think this highlights a potential misunderstanding a lot of folks have about the Spurs. They don't make players better -- at least not at a rate beyond what most teams can do. All 30 organizations can afford world-class coaching. There are certainly elite coaches out there, but it's not like the non-elite ones are bad. The Spurs' success comes from their selectivity. Guys play well in their system because they target guys who they think can fit in. When you talk about taking talents the Spurs didn't pick and pushing them on the team, that system can break down. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work. Maybe someone like Josh Jackson could've had his head on straight in SA. Maybe Derrick Williams would still be in the league had he had a staff who pushed him to modernize his game. Or maybe bad teams are bad because they chase talent with little concern to scheme or cultural fit.

You can totally argue the Spurs broke down once they started straying from that principle. Neither LMA nor DeRozan fit into the Spurs' model. A big reason for that is because the Spurs had the luxury of a stable foundation for more than a decade. But that just highlights what I'm saying. Talented as they may be, Simmons and Embiid are EXTREMELY flawed players, and so long as they are the thing holding your team up, you're in trouble. Spurs fans may envy their talent just as they might envy teams like Phoenix who had a constant stream of talent flowing into their toilets while the Spurs had to struggle to find gems. But it doesn't change the fact that talent alone isn't enough to build a contender.

Chinook
08-23-2020, 10:44 PM
I’d be happy with core group of

Joel Embiid
Derek White
Lonnie Walker
Keldon Johnson
Jacob Poetl

Um, no Poeltl. No idea why he's even in there.

But yes, I'd still want to trade for Embiid if at all possible, but they'd definitely be a limit to what they could give up if they wanted any chance at all.

Payote75
08-23-2020, 10:57 PM
Actually Poeltl is a perfect fit in that lineup. He doesn't need the ball constantly good defensively can clean up garbage and get 2nd chance shots/rebounds he would be an excellent running mate for embid but even off the bench it works I want that dude in the Spurs he hustles and Spurs need that......but embid would do well to have a Poeltl in there with him.

DAF86
08-23-2020, 11:01 PM

Simmons can't shoot and the other guy is an injury prone center, maybe the less valuable position in today's NBA. It is an extremely flawed foundation that will never be good enough to win a championship. If they had drafted Tatum instead of Fultz, things might be different.

R. DeMurre
08-24-2020, 01:28 AM
It's starting to look now like that shot by Kawhi over Embiid in game 7 last year might've ended The Process. If that shot misses and the Sixers win in OT, they probably go on to beat the depleted Warriors and win the championship... then, all the salary issues, personalities, etc. are forgotten. Ironic thing is the Sixers starters actually outplayed the Toronto starting five in that game. Every Sixer starter had a positive +/- in that game and every Raptor starter except for Lowry had a negative +/-. Toronto's only two bench players that night were Van Vleet (+10) and Ibaka (+22). Philadelphia played three bench players very limited minutes, but it was enough to lose the game, with James Ennis and Mike Scott at at -8 and -12, and Greg Monroe incredibly at -9 in only 1:41 minutes of playing time. After that series, Jimmy Butler leaves, apparently frustrated with the team's work ethic, and the team is never the same.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201905120TOR.html

tbdog
08-24-2020, 01:56 AM
Embid is great and is probably 20 to 30% better than LMA. For how long with LMA age and Embid injury history is unknown. The issue is to get Embid will cost you far more than 30% to trade for him.

On another topic, I fucking told you all that T Harris is a waste of money. Don't moan you have DD. This team would be a mess if we had Harris instead.

gambit1990
08-24-2020, 02:00 AM
It's starting to look now like that shot by Kawhi over Embiid in game 7 last year might've ended The Process. If that shot misses and the Sixers win in OT, they probably go on to beat the depleted Warriors and win the championship... then, all the salary issues, personalities, etc. are forgotten.
should be the case.

tbdog
08-24-2020, 02:06 AM

Sixers would choose to keep Embid over Simmons. And they desperately need shooters. Lucky for us we have beli, Forbes and Mills. 👍

On a serious note, and unfortunately I can foresee a big trade coming. Beal to Sixers with future 1st from Warriors. Wiggins to Wizards with Warriors 2nd overall pick. Simmons to Warriors.

daslicer
08-24-2020, 02:45 AM
It's starting to look now like that shot by Kawhi over Embiid in game 7 last year might've ended The Process. If that shot misses and the Sixers win in OT, they probably go on to beat the depleted Warriors and win the championship... then, all the salary issues, personalities, etc. are forgotten. Ironic thing is the Sixers starters actually outplayed the Toronto starting five in that game. Every Sixer starter had a positive +/- in that game and every Raptor starter except for Lowry had a negative +/-. Toronto's only two bench players that night were Van Vleet (+10) and Ibaka (+22). Philadelphia played three bench players very limited minutes, but it was enough to lose the game, with James Ennis and Mike Scott at at -8 and -12, and Greg Monroe incredibly at -9 in only 1:41 minutes of playing time. After that series, Jimmy Butler leaves, apparently frustrated with the team's work ethic, and the team is never the same.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201905120TOR.html

Shots like that tend to break a franchise. It's why I'm always amazed how the Duncan era Spurs were able bounce back from those type of horrific loses ala .4, Dirk's and 1 play, Ray Allen shot.

R. DeMurre
08-24-2020, 02:45 AM
Sixers would choose to keep Embid over Simmons. And they desperately need shooters. Lucky for us we have beli, Forbes and Mills. 

On a serious note, and unfortunately I can foresee a big trade coming. Beal to Sixers with future 1st from Warriors. Wiggins to Wizards with Warriors 2nd overall pick. Simmons to Warriors.

I think the Warriors will trade that pick too. Curry, Thompson, and Green will turn 33, 32, and 32 next season. They want to win another championship now. Wiggins plus the #2 pick could bring some serious role players.

spurs10
08-24-2020, 03:11 AM
Shots like that tend to break a franchise. It's why I'm always amazed how the Duncan era Spurs were able bounce back from those type of horrific loses ala .4, Dirk's and 1 play, Ray Allen shot. Yeah 'bounce back' with a championship each of those times. It ain't how you fall, it's how you get back up.

DAF86
08-24-2020, 03:21 AM
It just hit me that, no matter how much we improve in the offseason, making the playoffs next season will be a real challenge. Warriors, Lakers, Clippers, Rockets, Mavs, Nuggets, Jazz, Blazers, Thunder, and even Suns, Grizzlies and Kings. The Spurs would have to finish above 5 of these 12 teams to make the playoffs. After the play in the bubble many of us, including me, thought that if we would have played this lineup all season we would have made the playoffs, and it's true because of the Warriors being out of the picture and a team like the Blazers underperforming, but I don't know if not playing Forbes and Belinelli will be enough to make the playoffs next season.

tapiefan
08-24-2020, 03:27 AM
Doncic is the real deal. Age 21. Triple double, 43 points (with only 5 FTs to shoot), buzzer beater in the PO. This guy will bring rings to the Mavs.

Draft 2018 looks more and more like Draft 1984, Marvin Bagley the new Sam Bowie (not sure the ceiling of Ayton is the same than the Dream BTW).

cd021
08-24-2020, 05:10 AM
I think the Warriors will trade that pick too. Curry, Thompson, and Green will turn 33, 32, and 32 next season. They want to win another championship now. Wiggins plus the #2 pick could bring some serious role players.
Trade back maybe, but would they really trade the number 2 pick outright for anything less than a star?

mo7888
08-24-2020, 08:28 AM
Sixers would choose to keep Embid over Simmons. And they desperately need shooters. Lucky for us we have beli, Forbes and Mills. 👍

It feels to me like the sixers are going to keep Simmons over Embid. I dont think they should but I think that's what they are going to do.

NASpurs
08-24-2020, 08:30 AM

Could we trade Pop for picks and/or a player? He should be worth at least Levert :lol

rankingtear
08-24-2020, 08:37 AM
Not impossible, kings got a second rounder from the knicks for their GM.

mo7888
08-24-2020, 08:39 AM
We could probably get their first rd pick for Pop.

DAF86
08-24-2020, 08:42 AM

Could we trade Pop for picks and/or a player? He should be worth at least Levert :lol

Do it Mitch! I mean, RC.

Atl Spur
08-24-2020, 08:52 AM
Keep Pop; trade DDR,LMA, DJM and RG. We have a starting core of DW, LW, need sf ( maybe Jeremy Grant ), TL, Poodle. Keldon 6 man........ Luka hopefully takes a jump also.

rankingtear
08-24-2020, 09:08 AM
Why put white back at point when hes thriving at the shooting guard role at least get a PG.

r0drig0lac
08-24-2020, 09:12 AM
Why put white back at point when hes thriving at the shooting guard role at least get a PG.

so that it can have a high usage and put beautiful stats

Dex
08-24-2020, 09:39 AM

No surprises here.

BackHome
08-24-2020, 09:45 AM
Yeah Philly looked terrible against Boston looked like they didn’t even want to be playing.

ace3g
08-24-2020, 10:50 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1197929409044504576/nKXnm0aN_normal.jpg
Shams Charania ShamsCharania
(https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania) 11m (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1297921010172338176)
Sources: The NBA has set offseason rules for the 22 teams in Orlando once eliminated:
- Team facility open for voluntary workouts for players under contract; up to four at a time
- One staff member per individual workout
- Coronavirus testing is optional; at team's expense

ZeusWillJudge
08-24-2020, 11:00 AM
When it comes to drafts, I always look for sleepers. I'll step in and make an early one. Keep an eye on Kenyon Martin Jr.

I've come to be a big believer in guys whose fathers were NBA players. Junior is coming straight out of one of those athlete prep schools. I think he's serious about being drafted, and not just doing one of those deals where they test the waters and then go to college if they aren't going to get drafted high enough. A lot of second round picks get sold for cash, and if I were the Spurs I would do that in a heartbeat to pick him up. If he falls out of the draft, which is more likely, I would have him on speed-dial for a two-way.

He's a hell of an athlete, and he's got those NBA genes. I think he'll be on an NBA roster, sooner or later, and he could even develop into a really good player.

Sugus
08-24-2020, 11:49 AM

Because he's the best player we have at running an offense, and one of the only ones that can really step up with the ball in his hands. He's got above average size and defensive qualities for a PG and would be a mismatch there, and clearly understands the balance between scoring and distributing, can handle the P&R, set up teammates, etc.

Of course, if BPA this draft at #11 is Hayes, you take him and work it out with White at the 2, but the best thing for this team would be getting an actual, solid 3, so that not only you can maximize White's production at the 1 (hopefully benching Murray as bench "PG"), but also slide Keldon and Lonnie into their natural 2 positions. Keldon in particular would be a beast and nightmare matchup at the 2. And of course, you can still play Keldon/Lonnie at the 3 when Drafted Wing sits, or matchup-depending, it's just good to have that flexibility. If you draft a PG instead, while it certainly has its benefits, you're taking the ball away from players who need it to develop their games, whilst losing out on maximizing positional advantage, given our guard's abilities. I'd much rather draft a 3, or 4, or 5, obviously contingent on BPA not being too different one position from the other.

The real conundrum for the Spurs is Dejounte. He actively makes things more complicated from a team-building point, and I don't see a role for him in the starters going forward, mainly because he just can't do anything at an above-average level in order to fit into a niche. Not enough playmaking/handles/vision to be a true PG, not nearly enough shooting to be a real SG, not anything to play the 3+. I'm willing to give him another season to sort things out, but the more I look at the team, the more I'm starting to hope the Spurs make a package including Murray to trade up or get a second pick, tbh.

Chinook
08-24-2020, 01:28 PM
So this is the best (semi)realistic trade I could come up with:

Warriors trade 2 and Wiggins for Murray, Gay and 11 (with maybe a future pick)

Spurs trade Murray, Gay, Aldridge, DeRozan, 11 and future picks for Wiggins, Simmons, Horford and Smith

Sixers trade Simmons, Horford and Smith for 2 and future picks.

GS saves money, gets players they could use and maintains draft capital to use in other trades.

Sixers get out of bad money and get a pick haul for Simmons

Spurs get a young PF to play with their guards and a center who can shoot and is used to coming off the bench

White, Mills, Vet
Walker, Smith, Weatherspoon
Johnson, Wiggins 41 (Reed)
Simmons, Lyles, Samanic
Poeltl, Horford, Eubanks

I don't know if that's a contender, and it locks the Spurs into a lot of money and few picks to make it work. It'd leave them with some room to grow given that they lose no significant prospects other than Murray. I think that if GS was willing to give up 2 for that package, I'd take that and skip the Simmons part. He's certainly a good player who'd fit very well with the rest of the projected SL, but he has a lot of red flags. The Spurs can't expect to be contenders, so if they're willing to trade away almost all of their vets, I'd rather draft Toppin (because of course I would) and look for other deals with the vets to bring in additional value and reevaluate next off-season to see if it's time to make a move.

Excessive Egotist
08-24-2020, 03:03 PM

Spurs trade Murray, Gay, Aldridge, DeRozan, 11 and future picks for Wiggins, Simmons, Horford and Smith

GS saves money, gets players they could use and maintains draft capital to use in other trades.

Spurs get a young PF to play with their guards and a center who can shoot and is used to coming off the bench

White, Mills, Vet
Simmons, Lyles, Samanic
Poeltl, Horford, Eubanks

I don't know if that's a contender, and it locks the Spurs into a lot of money and few picks to make it work. It'd leave them with some room to grow given that they lose no significant prospects other than Murray. I think that if GS was willing to give up 2 for that package, I'd take that and skip the Simmons part. He's certainly a good player who'd fit very well with the rest of the projected SL, but he has a lot of red flags. The Spurs can't expect to be contenders, so if they're willing to trade away almost all of their vets, I'd rather draft Toppin (because of course I would) and look for other deals with the vets to bring in additional value and reevaluate next off-season to see if it's time to make a move.

Your top deal for #2 is smart, and I agree with your guess that Warriors would seek an additional first. My main hesitation is that I don't think moving up to #2 is worth it in this draft class. Move up to trade down (Atlanta, Cleveland, or Detroit) to snag one of Toppin or Okongwu?

I like a lot of permutations that involve Horford/Simmons. Although, I increasingly wonder if Ben Simmons isn't a center in modern NBA. If you look at where he scores the ball efficiently, it looks like a traditional center shot chart. I'm hung on the pick haul part. Philly would want a pick haul, no doubt, but is it worth it?

mo7888
08-24-2020, 03:06 PM

White, Mills, Vet
Simmons, Lyles, Samanic
Poeltl, Horford, Eubanks

I believe I'd rather do the warriors part of the trade and leave the Philly part out at that price. Then see what value LMA and/or DDR would bring in subsequent moves or keep them if if didn't like the return. I possibly would revisit the sixer trade with Embid at a reduced price and it being a smaller deal.

Chinook
08-24-2020, 03:19 PM
Your top deal for #2 is smart, and I agree with your guess that Warriors would seek an additional first. My main hesitation is that I don't think moving up to #2 is worth it in this draft class. Move up to trade down (Atlanta, Cleveland, or Detroit) to snag one of Toppin or Okongwu?

I like a lot of permutations that involve Horford/Simmons. Although, I increasingly wonder if Ben Simmons isn't a center in modern NBA. If you look at where he scores the ball efficiently, it looks like a traditional center shot chart. I'm hung on the pick haul part. Philly would want a pick haul, no doubt, but is it worth it?

The question I have is if Philly would agree with you on 2's value versus 11. If so, the Spurs might be able to cut GS out and trade Murray, Gay and Aldridge along with 11 and a lightly protected pick for Simmons and Horford. Then do a DeRozan trade like the ones Dallas fans keep talking about on RealGM (DMDR for THJ 18 and filler). Maybe you could just throw in 18 to remove any future obligation. Or you could use it on a player to fill in the thin guard rotation (Lewis, for example).

I agree with you on standing pat, though. I don't see why that deal would need to be done on draft night. Simmons has too many problems to rush a deal, especially since the team wouldn't really be a contender after the trade.

I also don't think Simmons is a full-time center. But he could definitely play one in a pinch.

I believe I'd rather do the warriors part of the trade and leave the Philly part out at that price. Then see what value LMA and/or DDR would bring in subsequent moves or keep them if if didn't like the return. I possibly would revisit the sixer trade with Embid at a reduced price and it being a smaller deal.

I don't think the Embiid trade is going to be a reduced price. He'll go to someone before he goes for a package where the Spurs could save some money. They're saying Joel may well be dealt this off-season. If that's what the team wants, they'll do it, likely before draft night.

mo7888
08-24-2020, 03:31 PM
The question I have is if Philly would agree with you on 2's value versus 11. If so, the Spurs might be able to cut GS out and trade Murray, Gay and Aldridge along with 11 and a lightly protected pick for Simmons and Horford. Then do a DeRozan trade like the ones Dallas fans keep talking about on RealGM (DMDR for THJ 18 and filler). Maybe you could just throw in 18 to remove any future obligation. Or you could use it on a player to fill in the thin guard rotation (Lewis, for example).

I agree with you on standing pat, though. I don't see why that deal would need to be done on draft night. Simmons has too many problems to rush a deal, especially since the team wouldn't really be a contender after the trade.

I also don't think Simmons is a full-time center. But he could definitely play one in a pinch.

I don't think the Embiid trade is going to be a reduced price. He'll go to someone before he goes for a package where the Spurs could save some money. They're saying Joel may well be dealt this off-season. If that's what the team wants, they'll do it, likely before draft night.

That definitely could be right about embid's price. I saw somewhere this morning(I think it was Michael Scotto quoting an Eastern conf GM) that the expected price would end up being a young player that could be an all-star someday and a starting level player. I am probably hoping they would see DJM as the former and LMA as the latter.

BackHome
08-24-2020, 03:36 PM
Does LMA have a no trade clause?

Excessive Egotist
08-24-2020, 03:40 PM
On Joel, it's hard to find a great fit that also has the appropriate assets to secure him. My favorite fit is Minnesota. Twin tower configurations rarely work, but Towns and Embiid could definitely space for one another.

Chinook
08-24-2020, 03:41 PM
That definitely could be right about embid's price. I saw somewhere this morning(I think it was Michael Scotto quoting an Eastern conf GM) that the expected price would end up being a young player that could be an all-star someday and a starting level player. I am probably hoping they would see DJM as the former and LMA as the latter.

One would hope Murray's value is in that range. I do think it's around there, but it'd be insane to think he could be the centerpiece of a trade like that. Maybe 11, Murray, Gay and LMA/DeRozan for Embiid and Horford/Harris. I'd love to get at least some of those Philly seconds back though. They have two in the 30s. That accomplishes what has to be their third goal of clearing some of their long-term money off the books. I'd do it at that price (again, especially if the Spurs got at least one of those 30s picks and maybe a later second as well). But I wouldn't add any more picks to the deal. I don't think that makes the Spurs a contender, so they'll still have okay picks to use on themselves or might need to make subsequent moves.

Chinook
08-24-2020, 03:41 PM
Does LMA have a no trade clause?

He does not. He does have a trade-kicker, but nothing to prevent his being dealt.

KobesAchilles
08-24-2020, 03:46 PM
He does not. He does have a trade-kicker, but nothing to prevent his being dealt.
I think the new 76ers coach would want one year of Simmons and Embiid together. Every new coach always believes they have all the answers to fix all the problems and I can see the GM agreeing for a year. I think next year might be the Embiid sweepstakes

mo7888
08-24-2020, 03:49 PM
I think the new 76ers coach would want one year of Simmons and Embiid together. Every new coach always believes they have all the answers to fix all the problems and I can see the GM agreeing for a year. I think next year might be the Embiid sweepstakes

I think the pressure is too high on Brand to wait... he won't be around to make the trade if he waits until next summer.

Excessive Egotist
08-24-2020, 03:51 PM

This sounds right to me. And they'll make their acceptance of the job contingent on front office adding multiple shooters to the rotation. Trade opportunities with Philly will be draft assets and maybe Thybulle in exchange for taking back Horford.

Russ
08-24-2020, 03:53 PM
I think the pressure is too high on Brand to wait... he won't be around to make the trade if he waits until next summer.

He may not be around next summer if he actually does get rid of Embiid (or Simmons).

mo7888
08-24-2020, 03:54 PM
He may not be around next summer if he actually does get rid of Embid (or Simmons).

That's the danger....it's not just moving one...they have to improve after the trade.

Excessive Egotist
08-24-2020, 03:57 PM
He may not be around next summer if he actually does get rid of Embid (or Simmons).

Pretty good chance Brand is dismissed yet this week. His track record is abysmal. They need to clean house of Brand and all of the Colangelo hold overs. Brown is not nearly as much as fault as Brand. Hell, nine of Brown's Process G leaguers are still in the association and a few are valuable rotation players. The roster is not Hinkie nor Brown's fault, but the locker room has quit on Brown, so he needs to go to.

KobesAchilles
08-24-2020, 04:09 PM
Here’s hoping Brett Brown will get Patty Mills back in Australian NT form :lobt:

cd98
08-24-2020, 04:13 PM

No surprises here.

I don't know if he is a great coach or not, but he has had flawed teams except last year's roster that could easily have beaten the eventual champions but for a ball bounce. I just don't think the roster, as constructed, is that great. He may not be a great coach, I don't know, but definitely a flawed roster given all the lottery picks they had.

gambit1990
08-24-2020, 04:23 PM

gambit1990
08-24-2020, 04:37 PM
-spurs are fully committed to putting out a winning product, have no interest in a rebuild
-spurs (unfortunately) haven't ruled out keeping demar long term
-this will not be a ho hum offseason
-spurs / bertans aren't on as bad terms as other players who have been traded but bertans knows he would have more freedom / get a fresh start elsewhere
-bertans isn't dying to return to the wizards

TD 21
08-24-2020, 04:59 PM
The 76ers aren't trading their youngish top 10ish player or their young top 20ish player for the Spurs crap, not even to get out of the Horford albatross.

As usual, the agenda driven NBA media has decided the media friendly white coach should be absolved and the black man (who's been on the job about five minutes and given his inexperience and their expectations probably didn't have full autonomy) is the real culprit, when the reality is their stars don't fit and they haven't been able to catch a break, injury or otherwise.

"The Process" is still a success though because of the talent and assets it delivered. You don't get to pick your stars and the Fultz situation is inexplicable. It's like blaming the Spurs for Scumbag intentionally destroying his value.

r0drig0lac
08-24-2020, 05:00 PM
The 76ers aren't trading their youngish top 10ish player or their young top 20ish player for the Spurs crap, not even to get out of the Horford albatross.

RC_Drunkford
08-24-2020, 05:06 PM
-spurs are fully committed to putting out a winning product, have no interest in a rebuild
-spurs (unfortunately) haven't ruled out keeping demar long term
-this will not be a ho hum offseason
-spurs / bertans aren't on as bad terms as other players who have been traded but bertans knows he would have more freedom / get a fresh start elsewhere
-bertans isn't dying to return to the wizards

context?

Chinook
08-24-2020, 05:08 PM
People are going to be surprised what Embiid goes for. Most teams with "non-crap" assets are in no position to make an Embiid trade, and the rest don't have any assets legit better than what the Spurs do. GS is a possible exception, but they wouldn't give up any of their "big" three, and Wiggins' deal is horrible. Push come to shove, DMDR, Gay and LMA are all good expirings which most teams can't match from a ballast perspective, and 11 is apparently no better or worse than 6-20 in a lot of people's minds. Toronto didn't win the Leonard sweepstakes by accident. Teams are way more reluctant to offer big value in deals than most believe. The Spurs definitely CAN trade for Embiid or Simmons. It just might not be worth it for them to extend themselves far enough to do it.

Uriel
08-24-2020, 05:31 PM
With Brown being fired by the Sixers, any way he can make it back into the Spurs' coaching staff?

TD 21
08-24-2020, 05:33 PM
People are going to be surprised what Embiid goes for. Most teams with "non-crap" assets are in no position to make an Embiid trade, and the rest don't have any assets legit better than what the Spurs do. GS is a possible exception, but they wouldn't give up any of their "big" three, and Wiggins' deal is horrible. Push come to shove, DMDR, Gay and LMA are all good expirings which most teams can't match from a ballast perspective, and 11 is apparently no better or worse than 6-20 in a lot of people's minds. Toronto didn't win the Leonard sweepstakes by accident. Teams are way more reluctant to offer big value in deals than most believe. The Spurs definitely CAN trade for Embiid or Simmons. It just might not be worth it for them to extend themselves far enough to do it.

Agreed, but there's still a middle ground between not going for as much as the perception might be and the Spurs' crap. DeRozan is the worst possible fit with Simmons and Aldridge is 35. They're also both expiring and likely wouldn't re-sign given the situation. Gay is an old, expiring, worse version of Harris. Murray is another poor fit and right now a negative contract. 11 is nice, but not all that meaningful to a team trying to contend.

Actually, the Raptors did win the Scumbag sweepstakes by accident. In fact damn near everything they've accomplished has been by that because up until that fell into their lap, they'd been trying to re-build since Ujiri was hired. Had Scumbag been a professional, the Spurs could have commanded a haul similar to what Davis went for.

RC_Drunkford
08-24-2020, 05:45 PM
One player I'd love us to sign is Christian Wood from the Pistons. He's 24, 7'3'' wingspan, shoots 38.6 % from 3, a good roller, athletic, lob thread, fast running the floor, ORtg 123 DRtg 110. He's a free agent and was on a 1.5 million dollar contract. Undrafted player who played in the G-League. Should definitely be available for MLE type money and would fit perfectly at starting PF.

Watch him block Embiid twice in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ezo4IxlVEs

BillMc
08-24-2020, 06:01 PM
So, with Brown being fired Jonathon Simmons tweeted: "Bout time they fired his ass"

Guess the old Spur comradeship is not in full force everywhere.

Dejounte
08-24-2020, 06:06 PM
So, with Brown being fired Jonathon Simmons tweeted: "Bout time they fired his ass"

Lmfao !! Very professional of him wow

BackHome
08-24-2020, 06:17 PM
One player I'd love us to sign is Christian Wood from the Pistons. He's 24, 7'3'' wingspan, shoots 38.6 % from 3, a good roller, athletic, lob thread, fast running the floor, ORtg 123 DRtg 110. He's a free agent and was on a 1.5 million dollar contract. Undrafted player who played in the G-League. Should definitely be available for MLE type money and would fit perfectly at starting PF.

Kid has some nice hops.

tbdog
08-24-2020, 07:22 PM

I wanted Woods two seasons ago. He had some serious character issues though.

toki9
08-24-2020, 07:30 PM

Yeah, that was really weird and pointlessly hostile. Just looked it up, and he only played 15 RS and 7 playoff games for Philadelphia.

Thomas82
08-25-2020, 12:05 AM

I wanted us to sign him as an undrafted free agent a few years back.

ace3g
08-25-2020, 02:33 PM
(https://twitter.com/wojespn) 17m (https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1298338246527717376)
ESPN story on the NBA and NBPA agreeing to a delay in the CBA termination window -- and what it means to preparations for the 2020-2021 season. es.pn/3gqeVyF (https://t.co/WhzNIAqjXB)

Chinook
08-25-2020, 03:12 PM
I wanted us to sign him as an undrafted free agent a few years back.

Me too. I actually wanted him in the draft, along with Upshaw and both the Holmeses

Seventyniner
08-25-2020, 03:51 PM
(https://twitter.com/wojespn) 17m (https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1298338246527717376)
ESPN story on the NBA and NBPA agreeing to a delay in the CBA termination window -- and what it means to preparations for the 2020-2021 season. es.pn/3gqeVyF (https://t.co/WhzNIAqjXB)

Bad as the optics are, in money and power terms this would be a perfect time for the owners to lock the players out again and really bend them over a barrel.

BackHome
08-25-2020, 05:54 PM
As much money as they lost this year and probably next year it would probably be the correct business move for them.

spurspl
08-25-2020, 06:36 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/blob:https://www.spurstalk.com/04afc02a-63b6-4f7d-8f7d-e8a90b596132

Thomas82
08-25-2020, 07:21 PM
Me too. I actually wanted him in the draft, along with Upshaw and both the Holmeses

Yeah, Wood would have been a steal in the 2nd round. I remember seeing a couple of mock drafts with us getting him in the 20's.

Chinook
08-25-2020, 07:32 PM
Yeah, Wood would have been a steal in the 2nd round. I remember seeing a couple of mock drafts with us getting him in the 20's.

That was the 2015 draft when the Spurs pissed away their pick on Miluntov. I was most upset with Harrell, but even if half those bigs busted, they'd've been better uses of the pick than selecting a guy with the goal of saving money.

R. DeMurre
08-25-2020, 07:34 PM

I like him too but someone is definitely offering him more than the MLE.

Thomas82
08-25-2020, 10:50 PM
That was the 2015 draft when the Spurs pissed away their pick on Miluntov. I was most upset with Harrell, but even if half those bigs busted, they'd've been better uses of the pick than selecting a guy with the goal of saving money.

I wanted Wood with that pick and was pissed when we passed on him and then let another team sign him as a UDFA.

mo7888
08-26-2020, 10:47 AM
Nate McMillan fired by Indiana

Ocotillo
08-26-2020, 01:01 PM
Nate McMillan fired by Indiana

Cue the rumors the Pacers want to talk to Pop. :tongue

spurspl
08-26-2020, 01:46 PM
pop gettin us a 1st rnd pick is the best what he can do for spurs right now.

exstatic
08-26-2020, 02:58 PM

The last time we rented 10 digiits worth of caproom for a year, we sent GS a first to eat the last year of RJs contract. If they take Rudy’s last year, and actually send us anything, we come out ahead.

exstatic
08-26-2020, 05:04 PM
Spurs not giving up on Murray this early.

It’s not that early.

cjw
08-26-2020, 05:28 PM

The exception would not only help toward retaining Poeltl, but can swing a trade after next offseason (not sure how th year period will work) without using cap space.

Alternatively, they can help another team get under the tax by taking on a salary into that trade exception and get yet another asset ... so long as they stay under the tax themselves.

BackHome
08-27-2020, 09:52 PM
With GS getting second pick I think they will trade this and get a number of players who will immediately help make them favorites again. So I don’t really think they will be in play to land Rudy this summer.

Chinook
08-27-2020, 10:13 PM
With GS getting second pick I think they will trade this and get a number of players who will immediately help make them favorites again. So I don’t really think they will be in play to land Rudy this summer.

I think that's optimistic. Very few players are good enough to warrant the second-overall pick while also fitting in the TE. They'd probably have to trade Wiggins, and that's going to add a lot of negative value to the deal. I could still easily see Gay being the best GS can do. But I also don't put it past them to just draft a player. Maybe they move down a bit, but they look like the type of team that'll at least want to see how they are healthy and with some young blood before making a contending trade. It's not clear they aren't already good enough.

gambit1990
08-28-2020, 10:52 PM

Ocotillo
08-29-2020, 08:16 AM
1299408184600399879 With Marks in NJ interesting Brett Brown is not even an afterthought with the prior Spurs connection

GAustex
08-29-2020, 09:17 AM
Go for it Greggy
A new challenge

mo7888
08-29-2020, 10:17 AM
With Marks in NJ interesting Brett Brown is not even an afterthought with the prior Spurs connection

Well this is a wild ass conspiracy theory with no evidence to base it on but, since Brown did his best when the 6ers had really young talent maybe the plan is for Pop to go to Brooklyn for picks and Brown come in and groom the young guys as we rebuild....maybe bringing Atkinson or Forcier with him?