PDA

View Full Version : Official 2016 Spurs Offseason Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

objective
07-13-2016, 09:01 AM
Hey, I remembered Hill wrong.

But my memory wasn't all bad with the Spurs and 80%, they had Beno and Ian take first years at 80%

http://www.shamsports.com/2014/09/how-agents-make-money-out-of-rookie.html?m=1

Ian was a promise pick. Ian was such s secret promise that the Spurs had a code name for him in case they were overheard talking about him in public. He was stashed. He wasn't working out for teams. But he still took the 80%.

kobyz
07-13-2016, 09:03 AM
Anyone asking why the Spurs would want Bourousis haven't watched the SL bigs.

Or they watch Greece against Croatia for Olympic spot early this week...

TheGreatYacht
07-13-2016, 09:15 AM
Stokes is better than any of those euroscrubs

Chinook
07-13-2016, 09:34 AM
If Durant had decided to sign, but only for the max, and the cap number had worked out that it was either shrink LJC for that last bit, or lose Durant, you are certain they'd tell Durant, "No thanks. We got this guy, he blew out his knee, hasn't done much since, but we just can't ask him to give up the money. Sorry KD!"

Because that's what you're saying.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not saying anything about a contrived scenario such as you're stating. I will say, though, that LJC has more leverage than the Spurs do in that situation. If they need him to take less than 100 percent, then he'd have to agree and sign, because his hold is larger than that. If they were okay with giving him 100 percent, then the extra 20 doesn't matter, as he can sign after they use the cap space.

The point was about how the Spurs had to operate in ways that other teams didn't have to in order to be successful, and finances play a role in that.

No. This scenario, where they are concerned with cap space, not dollars, has nothing to do with that. They aren't saving money out of their pocket by screwing LJC. They are saving money to give to other players. And the ownership just got a bigger spike than the cap did, so they have the money if they ever did.

Do you think LJC and his agent would have accepted scale if he had exploded into a star?

It depends. I don't think he'd pull a Saric, as he's just delaying a big payday (especially in today's climate). But even if he did, the CBA sets up the rookie scale as a guaranteed min for stashed first-rounders, not a cap. If they happen to earn better contracts overseas, that's the risk the Spurs took by not paying them for years. Stashed guys are already well behind their counterparts in the salary curve. Even a guy like Splitter would have made more money in his career had he come over right away.

Teams have broken draft promises before, I believe I heard Givony or another draft guy break it down on a podcast recently. I might try to find it.

Teams break their promises and, it usually hurts them. NO did it this year, and I'm sure they won't be able to make another one for a while. Again, this is an order of magnitude worse.

But about renouncements, yes, it did happen before. Why dismiss history?

Because it happened once in 651 iterations. That's a 0.15-percent rate. I'm not dismissing history; you're dismissing statistical reasonability. That's even worse than arguing the Spurs should cut Parker because Detroit cut Josh Smith.

I think the Spurs tell agents and players that truth as it is at the time. That they like the player, but don't think that have room or a role for the player. If the player is fine not coming over, they can keep him on their board. But there's the risk that if the player pushes their luck, it could end badly for them. And if agents and players aren't comfortable with that, they can try to force their way out of the first round. Guys have done it before.

Yeah, no. That's what happens to late-second guys like Thomas and Denmon. It's not what happens in promises. The team doesn't have leverage when they make a promise. LJC didn't stop working out with other teams because the Spurs strong-armed him into it. He and the team came to a mutual agreement, with him fulfilling his part by foregoing money that he was entitled to and signing a long-term deal in France. And he pretty much stopped trying for anyone else (which is a usual part of promises), when he had the stock to get drafted by someone else.

And sometimes players push their luck and win. The Rockets wanted Capela to stash himself to get more room in pursuit of Bosh. He refused. They then had 3 choices: sign, trade, or renounce. He was promising enough that they put up with it.

They didn't promise Capela, and he didn't promise to them (the Spurs promised to him, and how knows what he agreed to for them). If anything, that should show you that players have leverage most of the time. Deshaun Thomas and Jack McClinton forced their way into camp just fine. There wasn't a chance that either would be renounced. Look at Philly and McDaniels. There are too many examples of teams giving in to act like one more 20 years ago in the dawn of the rookie scale is "history"

ceperez
07-13-2016, 09:54 AM
Just watched LJC's first game in SL and he just looks so thin and weak. I don't know what happened to him, but I'm really surprised that Spurs are going to sign him!

Keepin' it real
07-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Just watched LJC's first game in SL and he just looks so thin and weak. I don't know what happened to him, but I'm really surprised that Spurs are going to sign him!

He'll likely be the 15th man on the roster, in other words, will rarely play, so why not sign someone dirt cheap and young for that position?

NASpurs
07-13-2016, 10:21 AM

Keepin' it real
07-13-2016, 10:35 AM

You know Brown will do Pop a solid.

apalisoc_9
07-13-2016, 10:55 AM

Noel would be nice. Least amount of ego and the best sefender out of the three.

Kindergarten Cop
07-13-2016, 10:59 AM

Noel would be nice. Least amount of ego and the best sefender out of the three.

Sadly, the Spurs don't have much that we could offer (outside of our core players).

Kikoluna
07-13-2016, 11:07 AM
Sadly, the Spurs don't have much that we could offer (outside of our core players).

How about kyle? We can try the whole stretch 4 crap

palangi
07-13-2016, 11:12 AM
He'll likely be the 15th man on the roster, in other words, will rarely play, so why not sign someone dirt cheap and young for that position?
So sign Christian wood. He's also young and would be cheap. But he can play basketball and make a shot.

raybies
07-13-2016, 11:19 AM
So sign Christian wood. He's also young and would be cheap. But he can play basketball and make a shot.

I'm with you on Christian Wood. In the past he's had a bad attitude but if he's past that I believe he'll be the next Hassan Whiteside. Hassan had immaturity problems and still does but has mostly gotten past them. I think Wood will get past them too, I mean he's only 20.

tbdog
07-13-2016, 11:23 AM
How about kyle? We can try the whole stretch 4 crap

Spurs trade what, 2014 pick 30 Anderson for 2013 Pick 6? Nice.

NASpurs
07-13-2016, 12:13 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-thunder-eyeing-westbrook-trade-celtics-most-likely-partner/

Report: Thunder eyeing Westbrook trade, Celtics most likely partner

The Thunder could be trading Westbrook "sooner rather than later"

---------------------

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/13/oklahoma-city-thunder-russell-wesbrook-trade-rumors-boston-celtics

Report: Russell Westbrook could be traded before season

SAGirl
07-13-2016, 12:41 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-thunder-eyeing-westbrook-trade-celtics-most-likely-partner/

Report: Thunder eyeing Westbrook trade, Celtics most likely partner

The Thunder could be trading Westbrook "sooner rather than later"

---------------------

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/13/oklahoma-city-thunder-russell-wesbrook-trade-rumors-boston-celtics

Report: Russell Westbrook could be traded before season
That's a big scoop.
KD and Russ likely decided enough was enough and to part ways. Will be nice to see Russ in Boston. Will make the east conference interesting.

montgod
07-13-2016, 12:54 PM
That's a big scoop.
KD and Russ likely decided enough was enough and to part ways. Will be nice to see Russ in Boston. Will make the east conference interesting.

If Boston trades, they are going for broke this year hoping it will be enough to contend with Cavs since there is no guarantee Westbrook re-signs in Boston next year. My guess is that if it's true, I. Thomas is on the move again along with J Brown and some draft picks.

beirmeistr
07-13-2016, 01:06 PM
Spurs sure are biding their time with any more moves.

NASpurs
07-13-2016, 01:07 PM
Another one bites the dust

montgod
07-13-2016, 01:14 PM

I am okay with him not being signed. He always seemed like he plays at half speed for some reason. Not a huge fan.

Chinook
07-13-2016, 01:14 PM

I consider this a good thing. Didn't they already sign a center? Makes me wonder if Dieng is available.

montgod
07-13-2016, 01:15 PM
I consider this a good thing. Didn't they already sign a center? Makes me wonder if Dieng is available.

Good point although Dieng wouldn't be cheap.

NASpurs
07-13-2016, 01:16 PM

Or it's just insurance for Pekovic's annual 30 game season plus Garnett gives them nothing.

montgod
07-13-2016, 01:17 PM
Or it's just insurance for Pekovic's annual 30 game season plus Garnett gives them nothing.

Yeah but they signed Aldrich and have Karl Anthony-Towns. I mean, they do have Dieng listed as Power Forward so maybe he won't play C

tbdog
07-13-2016, 01:28 PM
I would love to have Dieng. Almost too perfect. He is on Mills money, so I would want to get that done and trust Manu/Simmons/Murray/or some Summer league invite can hold the backup point duties.

T'Wolves now have: Towns, Dieng, Aldrich, Hill, Garnett, Benjinca, and Payne as full time bigs, plus they can go small with Muhammad. So they obviously need to get rid of at least one, probably two. You really shouldn't have more than 5 full time bigs.

tav1
07-13-2016, 01:30 PM
Rockets broke up with Chris Finch. He'd be an interesting hire.

-21-
07-13-2016, 01:33 PM
I don't get the love for Dieng. He's one of the worst rim protectors in the league.

Chinook
07-13-2016, 01:34 PM
I don't get the love for Dieng. He's one of the worst rim protectors in the league.

So?

tbdog
07-13-2016, 01:40 PM

I don't see how. I just had a quick look at his adv stats and nothing jumped out to me that supports this. I think he is fine. He isn't great, but it just would suit what we want. Has athleticism. Some range. Some defensive presence. Can play both 5 and 4.

-21-
07-13-2016, 01:44 PM
So?

I don't think he's anything special. IMO you can get the same production from a cheaper guy. Plus we already have Dedmon, I'd rather have someone like Stokes or Thomas Robinson.

Chinook
07-13-2016, 01:46 PM
I don't think he's anything special. IMO you can get the same production from a cheaper guy. Plus we already have Dedmon, I'd rather have someone like Stokes or Thomas Robinson.

He's nothing like Dedmon and he's much better than Stokes or Robinson. Feel like there's some stereotyping going on here.

TheGreatYacht
07-13-2016, 01:46 PM
Agreed. Dieng is going to be 27 in January and he's on an expiring contract, would be a waste to trade for him just to rent him for a year or match the huge money he's about to get...

SAGirl
07-13-2016, 01:49 PM
Maybe the guy they are letting go is Payne?

TheGreatYacht
07-13-2016, 01:52 PM
How would the Spurs get Dieng via trade without giving up a pick? They have Dunn and Rubio, so Mills ain't going to get it done. Fathead and Simmons? eh doubt it.

He's going to be 27 soon and will become a free agent next offseason. Just wait till next year.

Chinook
07-13-2016, 01:53 PM
Maybe the guy they are letting go is Payne?

Almost certainly. I think they're willing to listen on Dieng, though. Dude will make $20 Million a season next year.

tbdog
07-13-2016, 01:55 PM

Your not getting the same production from a cheaper guy. Stokes has played bugger all in 2 seasons. Thomas Robinson has bounced around, and I think he will get more than the min. Deing contract is like 3m. He has played over 20mins a game and was the starter for the Wolves.

TheGreatYacht
07-13-2016, 01:57 PM
Your not getting the same production from a cheaper guy. Stokes has played bugger all in 2 seasons. Thomas Robinson has bounced around, and I think he will get more than the min. Deing contract is like 3m. He has played over 20mins a game and was the starter for the Wolves.

How would the Spurs get Dieng via trade without giving up a pick? They have Dunn and Rubio, so Mills ain't going to get it done. Fathead and Simmons? eh doubt it.

He's going to be 27 soon and will become a free agent next offseason. Just wait till next year.

tbdog
07-13-2016, 01:57 PM

They cannot have Dunn and Rubio on that team. They just cannot play together due to the inability to shoot. Mills would actually be a welcome sight for that team.

TheGreatYacht
07-13-2016, 02:01 PM
They cannot have Dunn and Rubio on that team. They just cannot play together due to the inability to shoot. Mills would actually be a welcome sight for that team.
I know that, but it's not like they'll play together. One will be the starting PG, the other will be a backup. Mills wouldn't get minutes there unless the Wolves get lucky and find someone dumb enough to take Rubio's contract from them.

Not to mention their third string PG is Tyus Jones who they just drafted last year.

-21-
07-13-2016, 02:34 PM
He's nothing like Dedmon and he's much better than Stokes or Robinson. Feel like there's some stereotyping going on here.
I didn't say he was similar to Dedmon but they do play the same position. Dieng may be better offensively but his post moves are still pretty limited, his jumper is unconsistent and at his age, I think he's peaked. Defensively he's average to below-average. Playing for a better coach like Thibs may help him but I don't think he's worth the money he's eventually gonna demand. Dedmon is a pretty limited player as well as a fouling machine but I like how he projects especially with the bench as a roll man/rim protector. He's probably gonna get paid next offseason too and I'd rather pay him than Dieng.

Yeah, he was a starter for the 29-53 Wolves. His contract is 3M for now. To get him the Spurs would need to give something up like Mills (leaving us with Murray as the backup PG). The Spurs are better off taking a chance on a D-Leaguer/international player imo.

LakerHater
07-13-2016, 04:27 PM
Hes a poor poor mans Kawhi!

LakerHater
07-13-2016, 05:59 PM

From Downtown
07-13-2016, 06:13 PM

Aparently he's on his way to SA
I guess most of the guys will sign in the next 48 hours

ace3g
07-13-2016, 06:27 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnR4aypWcAE9t3o.jpg:large

Keepin' it real
07-13-2016, 06:28 PM

Even his Gatorade is bigger.

LakerHater
07-13-2016, 06:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnSFlzOUkAAmbTp.jpg

TD 21
07-13-2016, 06:57 PM
Wood has been mentioned, but Holmes hasn't. I expect them to trade one of Noel/Okafor before the season begins to clear up their logjam, but at this writing, they're at 17 and it's difficult to see him not being one of the two cut. Landry might seem obvious, but they want some vets around.

Payne is another name to keep an eye on. Unless Garnett up and retires (and there's been no rumors of this, nor would I expect an attention whore like him to go quietly), they're overloaded with bigs, even if/when they waive Pekovic.

siraulo23
07-13-2016, 07:07 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnSFlzOUkAAmbTp.jpg

:lmao

SAGirl
07-13-2016, 07:15 PM
sad to see Boban leave TBH. I bet he will be a beast for Van Gundy next season.

spursistan
07-13-2016, 07:19 PM
sad to see Boban leave TBH. I bet he will be a beast for Van Gundy next season.
was he a keeper? :lol

SAGirl
07-13-2016, 07:19 PM
was he a keeper? :lol
sadly no.... Manu or him it came down to apparently.

ElNono
07-13-2016, 08:06 PM
Aparently he's on his way to SA
I guess most of the guys will sign in the next 48 hours

Manu is actually in Vegas with the Argentina NT. Won't take long to get that done since he's in the US.

ElNono
07-13-2016, 08:07 PM
Wonder if they're gonna do anything to introduce Pau. Doubt it can be done before the Olympics.

sasaint
07-13-2016, 08:10 PM
sadly no.... Manu or him it came down to apparently.

(Wow, Yoda-speak?)

OR my choice: C) None of the above

NikosChelsea7
07-13-2016, 08:24 PM

He talks about Tim's retirement from 7:02 to 7:21.

ElNono
07-13-2016, 08:24 PM
If what's been rumored is right, then Pau and possibly Bertrans should be signed before Manu...

NikosChelsea7
07-13-2016, 08:44 PM

SAGirl
07-13-2016, 09:00 PM
(Wow, Yoda-speak?)

OR my choice: C) None of the above
:lol I hear you.

NikosChelsea7
07-13-2016, 09:01 PM

ElNono
07-13-2016, 09:23 PM

great podcast, thanks for sharing. Pretty much confirms his good knee just failed him and that was that.

raybies
07-13-2016, 09:35 PM
There's goes wood. I'm with those that think it would be best to wait it out and see what's left after training camp. Still there's Thomas Robinson, but who else? The week is drying up..

Snaq O'Meal
07-13-2016, 09:37 PM
There's goes wood. I'm with those that think it would be best to wait it out and see what's left after training camp. Still there's Thomas Robinson, but who else? The week is drying up..

Terrence Jones is the most talented big man available. It'll be interesting to see what his asking price is.

Kawhitstorm
07-13-2016, 09:53 PM

They want a more dependable shooting big man to stretch the floor & more than likely Pek is getting waived.

apalisoc_9
07-13-2016, 09:54 PM
They want a more dependable shooting big man to stretch the floor & more than likely Pek is getting waived.

Pek? When's the last time that dude played? :lol

objective
07-13-2016, 10:02 PM
great podcast, thanks for sharing. Pretty much confirms his good knee just failed him and that was that.

Anybody remember who the other player there had a meeting with was?

SAGirl
07-13-2016, 10:09 PM
Truly spectacular must listen podcast!!! Thanks for sharing. It was recorded right b4 today's game and RC got really emotional. Hoping for the best for this season. In perspective, we got to enjoy watching these guys play and figure it out together. The loss of Tim the person is incredible and it gives me a different perspective on Manu, you know? That whole chestnut. Got to enjoy these guys while they are here, as well as hope that the younger guys figure things out.

It puts in perspective how as the big 3 aged, they needed younger players around them and now need to develop more than they had in a long time just bc they need to.

It was encouraging that RC said they hope to see Tim in the organization in some fashion.

ElNono
07-13-2016, 10:20 PM
Anybody remember who the other player there had a meeting with was?

Danny Ferry maybe? I think they signed him that year

Ron Swanson
07-13-2016, 10:29 PM
Truly spectacular must listen podcast!!! Thanks for sharing. It was recorded right b4 today's game and RC got really emotional. Hoping for the best for this season. In perspective, we got to enjoy watching these guys play and figure it out together. The loss of Tim the person is incredible and it gives me a different perspective on Manu, you know? That whole chestnut. Got to enjoy these guys while they are here, as well as hope that the younger guys figure things out.

It puts in perspective how as the big 3 aged, they needed younger players around them and now need to develop more than they had in a long time just bc they need to.

It was encouraging that RC said they hope to see Tim in the organization in some fashion.

http://robertkaplinsky.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/drevil_cover.jpg

GSH
07-13-2016, 10:29 PM

I still think it will be part of the ownership group. Coaching is a cast-iron bitch for the time it demands. Besides, he'd have to wear a suit, instead of those puffy-sleeve shirts.

tonight...you
07-13-2016, 10:33 PM
I still think it will be part of the ownership group. Coaching is a cast-iron bitch for the time it demands. Besides, he'd have to wear a suit, instead of those puffy-sleeve shirts.
You know they would bend over backwards for him to have any position on the team.
They'd pay him just to "be around".

objective
07-13-2016, 10:35 PM
Danny Ferry maybe? I think they signed him that year

Maybe. I don't know, from his phrasing it sounded like someone they never signed, I imagine he would have had no problem mentioning Ferry. Plus the talk about the structure of the deal probably not working or being enough, don't remember how he phrased it, that sounded like a 'not enough money' issue.

ElNono
07-13-2016, 10:46 PM
Maybe. I don't know, from his phrasing it sounded like someone they never signed, I imagine he would have had no problem mentioning Ferry. Plus the talk about the structure of the deal probably not working or being enough, don't remember how he phrased it, that sounded like a 'not enough money' issue.

That's right. Well, Grant Hill was also available, right?

Kawhitstorm
07-13-2016, 10:56 PM
Pek? When's the last time that dude played? :lol

When Pau was on the Lakers::lol

H7HfoSpZkj0

objective
07-13-2016, 11:23 PM
That's right. Well, Grant Hill was also available, right?

I think that's right. I think they offered a low 1 year deal.

NASpurs
07-14-2016, 12:18 AM
Nooooooooooooooo

Snaq O'Meal
07-14-2016, 12:22 AM
Nooooooooooooooo

Looks like we will be seeing the likes of LJC backing up our bigs than guys like Christian Wood or Terrence Jones.

Joseph Kony
07-14-2016, 12:59 AM
Thomas Robinson is starting to look like a pipedream at this point :lol

Snaq O'Meal
07-14-2016, 01:07 AM
Thomas Robinson is starting to look like a pipedream at this point :lol

Maybe they'll bring Matt Bonner back to sell more tickets and to outshoot the Warriors. And you know Pop loves his veterans.

sasaint
07-14-2016, 01:18 AM
Maybe they'll bring Matt Bonner back to sell more tickets and to outshoot the Warriors. And you know Pop loves his veterans.

Yep. I already posted this. Looking more and more like a return of the Red Rocket, unless they pick up somebody that gets cut just before the regular season begins.

eDizzle20
07-14-2016, 01:27 AM
The 4 and 5 positions are looking paper thin. Gasol is 36 years of age and you essentially have LJC and Dedmon backing up him and Aldridge. I don't consider Anderson a 4. He's still more of 3 due to his lack of strength. Bertans seems to be more of a natural 3 than a 4. I'm not sure what the plan is, but I'm sure LJC is not the answer. I would like to see the Spurs go after Thomas Robinson, heck, I wouldn't even mind Josh Smith at this point.

Snaq O'Meal
07-14-2016, 01:31 AM
PATFO will probably go dumpster-diving for big men later when the decent ones have all been signed and the remaining free agents are desperate enough to accept whatever scraps that are offered to them.

T Park
07-14-2016, 03:00 AM
for all that are bitching.

you can only offer the minimum.

Bitchinga bout a guy not being signed whos signed for over the minimum is a stupidity.

Ditty
07-14-2016, 03:06 AM
So the last year we were stacked with power forwards that we decided to play one out of position until it bit us in the butt. Which you really can't complain because you don't pass up on a talent like West was, and we didn't know TD would breakdown, that he was pretty much unplayable against OKC. So now we technically have one power forward on this team :lol? Don't get me wrong Gasol, Aldridge and Dedmon rotation is probably the, or one of the best big men rotation in the league with their size, length, athleticism and talent. In the long run that will probably be the rotation when games matter anyways. I'm not a fan one bit of Anderson playing at PF. He's still too skinny, and needs to bulk up a bit more. He may get there as he is only 22, and may grown into his body like Odom did when he first came in the league to be able to play the four. Anderson is best with the ball in his hands as we have seen in Summer League. It would be nice if Bertans is a decent defender, and becomes a lethal shooter to be our backup 3. Simmons would have to prove he can play D, and be smarter with the ball to be in the rotation. Mills needs to play off the ball which he is best at. Manu needs to ball in his hands in critical moments down the stretch, but outside of that Manu is fine at either guard or small forward position.

My guess is that the sign LJC, and put him in Austin all season. Stokes to a partially guaranteed camp deal, and give Thomas Robinson a partially guaranteed deal also. Maybe Robinson's bad attitude can improve being on a winning team again, that he doesn't have to be a prima donna if he makes the team and doesn't play much. Which neither him or Stokes won't probably play much outside of when Gasol/Aldridge take the night off.

tbdog
07-14-2016, 03:41 AM
I remember in 2011-2012, Spurs big rotation was TD, Blair, Splitter and Bonner. This was after the the 2011 first round loss to the Grizzlies. We later picked up Diaw. But that big rotation was awful. And although LMA and Gasol are good, I do feel we need one more big that can play. Garbage guys don't count.

pookenstein
07-14-2016, 06:07 AM

Did Peter Jackson take that pic? Shot in the right angle soit looks like Gandalf and Bilbo, like Boban is actually sitting 2m in front of SvG.

stxspurs
07-14-2016, 06:19 AM
Doesnt look to happy to be there.

NASpurs
07-14-2016, 09:29 AM

K...
07-14-2016, 09:34 AM
So Randolph comes here due to process if of elimination?

sasaint
07-14-2016, 09:36 AM
I would like to see us take a flyer on Randolph if he is available.

tav1
07-14-2016, 09:39 AM

Gulp.

I. Hustle
07-14-2016, 09:46 AM
Whatever happened to the Latvian Rocket Dairis Bertans? Did he just suck last year or did he not want to play with the Spurs because he got more $$$ overseas? I don't remember what happened.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 09:48 AM
Spurs would be a perfect team to break Randolph back into the NBA. But it's also Randolph, so...

jyra
07-14-2016, 09:52 AM
Wouldn't mind Randolph at all, he had a pretty good season in Russia last season. His three point percentage is pretty strange though. He shot 25% in 23 Euroleague games and 47% in 20 VTB United League (Russia) games. So it's hard to say how much he really improved his shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWohlVD0RIE

Chinook
07-14-2016, 09:54 AM
Whatever happened to the Latvian Rocket Dairis Bertans? Did he just suck last year or did he not want to play with the Spurs because he got more $$$ overseas? I don't remember what happened.

He got married half-way through the SL. I think that's what happened, but he had already fallen off after Simmons joined the squad.

I. Hustle
07-14-2016, 09:56 AM
He got married half-way through the SL. I think that's what happened, but he had already fallen off after Simmons joined the squad.

Aaahhhh ok. I know he was a 2 but, from what I remember, he had a pretty solid start in the SL

I. Hustle
07-14-2016, 09:57 AM
Wouldn't mind Randolph at all, he had a pretty good season in Russia last season. His three point percentage is pretty strange though. He shot 25% in 23 Euroleague games and 47% in 20 VTB United League (Russia) games. So it's hard to say how much he really improved his shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWohlVD0RIE

Don't want him for his threes anyway. Would be cool to give him a shot.

jyra
07-14-2016, 10:00 AM
Don't want him for his threes anyway. Would be cool to give him a shot.

Yeah, I think his mobility and length (esp. on D) are still the most intriguing thing about him. But you need at least some shooting next to a non shooter like Dedmon.

NikosChelsea7
07-14-2016, 10:04 AM

tav1
07-14-2016, 10:07 AM
Spurs would be a perfect team to break Randolph back into the NBA. But it's also Randolph, so...

Spurs are a great fit for what Randolph needs, and his game would work well next to Aldridge, Gasol, and Dedmon, except for his mental lapses.

Is he the best big left on the free agent board? I'd rank him ahead of Jones. Is D-Mo to broke to sign?

apalisoc_9
07-14-2016, 10:07 AM
Randolph is the laziest NBA player ive seen. Its easy to be competitive in europe because of the talent level and most importantly less games. If europe has a 70 game season, randolph would be a lazy scrub.

ceperez
07-14-2016, 10:08 AM
The 4 and 5 positions are looking paper thin. Gasol is 36 years of age and you essentially have LJC and Dedmon backing up him and Aldridge. I don't consider Anderson a 4. He's still more of 3 due to his lack of strength. Bertans seems to be more of a natural 3 than a 4. I'm not sure what the plan is, but I'm sure LJC is not the answer. I would like to see the Spurs go after Thomas Robinson, heck, I wouldn't even mind Josh Smith at this point.

Gasol is going to have his minutes managed just like Duncan. I also don't expect Aldridge's minutes to increase either.

So Spurs will likely be playing a lot of small ball! LJC is just too thin to even be at the 4. LJC is kind of like a Mbah a Moute that can't shoot! Matter of fact, he's so raw that maybe he spends most of his time in Austin.

Spurs regular 13 man rotation:

Gasol / Dedmon
Aldridge / <MIA1>
Leonard / Anderson/ Bertans
Green / Manu / Simmons
Parker / Mills / <MIA2>

FutureMan
07-14-2016, 10:09 AM
I'm surprised no one is talking about Brandon bass for the min. Our rotation is going to be too young/inexperienced if we let someone like Jean-Charles play back up 3 or 4. So something like this maybe:

Parker/Mills/Murray
Green/Ginobili/Simmons
Leonard/Anderson/Jean-Charles
Aldridge/Bass/Bertans
Gasol/Dedmon/ 15th spot (probably bonner lol)

tav1
07-14-2016, 10:14 AM
Jean-Charles is not a wing. Bertans is not a 4. The depth chart looks more like

Parker/Mills/Murray
Green/Ginobili
Leonard/Simmons/Bertans
Aldridge/Anderson/LJC
Gasol/Dedmon

NikosChelsea7
07-14-2016, 10:14 AM

He also joined the Turkish team that David Blatt will be coaching for the next few years.

I. Hustle
07-14-2016, 10:16 AM

He also joined the Turkish team that David Blatt will be coaching for the next few years.

Thanks for that. I was wondering what happened to him. I thought that maybe we might have a couple of bros on the team.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 10:17 AM
As of now Anderson is the backup four. I don't get what's so hard about this. It's okay to not want that. It's also okay to think he won't succeed there. But he's going to play there until he shows he can't. Every off-season move the team has made so far supports that, and even though they may well sign a power-forward to be the 15th man, I don't think they intend for that player to be in the rotation.

There's no point in making depth charts that don't reflect reality:

Parker, Mills
Green, Ginobili
Leonard, Simmons
Aldridge, Anderson
Gasol, Dedmon

With Murray, Bertans and LJC filling in as necessary.

bklynspursfan
07-14-2016, 10:37 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/spurs-sign-pau-gasol

NikosChelsea7
07-14-2016, 10:40 AM

NikosChelsea7
07-14-2016, 10:43 AM

SpursFan86
07-14-2016, 10:44 AM
As of now Anderson is the backup four. I don't get what's so hard about this. It's okay to not want that. It's also okay to think he won't succeed there. But he's going to play there until he shows he can't. Every off-season move the team has made so far supports that, and even though they may well sign a power-forward to be the 15th man, I don't think they intend for that player to be in the rotation.

Parker, Mills
Green, Ginobili
Leonard, Simmons
Aldridge, Anderson
Gasol, Dedmon

I agree with that projected depth chart, but I really hope Bertans can find a way to take Simmons's spot in the rotation. I think he has the potential to be a far better fit next to Manu/KA.

r0drig0lac
07-14-2016, 10:50 AM
until the end of the season, Bertans will be the backup in SF, no doubt

beirmeistr
07-14-2016, 10:51 AM

finally, some action.

NikosChelsea7
07-14-2016, 10:52 AM

Chinook
07-14-2016, 10:57 AM
I agree with that projected depth chart, but I really hope Bertans can find a way to take Simmons's spot in the rotation. I think he has the potential to be a far better fit next to Manu/KA.

until the end of the season, Bertans will be the backup in SF, no doubt

I think it's a better fit, too. But Davis will have to earn that. I can't justify Simmons losing his spot to a guy who hasn't played for the team in any capacity.

sasaint
07-14-2016, 11:01 AM

Parker, Mills
Green, Ginobili
Leonard, Simmons
Aldridge, Anderson
Gasol, Dedmon

So, that makes 13. Do you think Forbes makes it 14? (Tbh, I have fo gotten his contract status.) Also, I have it in the back of my mind that Bonner is returning.

siraulo23
07-14-2016, 11:01 AM
The signing begins :tu

montgod
07-14-2016, 11:05 AM
So, that makes 13. Do you think Forbes makes it 14? (Tbh, I have fo gotten his contract status.) Also, I have it in the back of my mind that Bonner is returning.

I just don't see Forbes being signed outside of Austin Toros or along those lines. Too many rookies and not sure Forbes has shown enough in Vegas, but who knows. It also depends on who else is still out there in Free Agency that the Spurs might want. PG and PF/C are still areas they may want to address (i.e. Felton, Robinson, etc....)

Chinook
07-14-2016, 11:18 AM

No idea what's going to happen with Forbes. He is supposedly already committed to contract like Arcidiacono is. So he'll be with the big club and have a chance to get a spot. I do think they let those guys and maybe another one or two compete for the final perimeter spot while looking to get the best big they can for the other spot.

I would love to see Briante Weber brought in, but he's going to get too much money at this point. So it will probably be between Bryn and Ryan. For the big-man spot, Bass is an interesting name, but I think he opted out for financial purposes. They should probably just sign a decent young guy with the understanding that that spot will be available for a vet down the road. With the number of one-year deals and expiring contracts for bigs on potentially bad teams, the buyout market should be good.

SAGirl
07-14-2016, 11:26 AM
It's possible. He's been the best shooter in the SL squad. They might want some Patty Mills insurance to develop for a season after this if Patty's not re-signed. I totally can see it, and I think he had a minimum contract anyways.

I see the possibility with Bonner. He's experienced, a shooter, fits the spread out style Pop is going with in the bench and I suspect that if someone is giving Anderson a hard time Pop can slide him over to the 3 and bring Bonner. It makes too much sense in fact.... specially with the amount of new young players/rookies, that Bonner will be re-signed. For once I don't mind. This is about to be a new locker room with a lot of young guys and Bonner is the most likeable, personable dude they will meet and humble enough to teach character when they don't get to play that much bc they are out of the rotation and how to be a professional. I could be wrong, but I can totally see Bonner as the last big. (Also, will Pop want him to take Bertans under his wing?):lol

sasaint
07-14-2016, 11:29 AM
It's possible. He's been the best shooter in the SL squad. They might want some Patty Mills insurance to develop for a season after this if Patty's not re-signed. I totally can see it, and I think he had a minimum contract anyways.

I see the possibility with Bonner. He's experienced, a shooter, fits the spread out style Pop is going with in the bench and I suspect that if someone is giving Anderson a hard time Pop can slide him over to the 3 and bring Bonner. It makes too much sense in fact.... specially with the amount of new young players/rookies, that Bonner will be re-signed. For once I don't mind. This is about to be a new locker room with a lot of young guys and Bonner is the most likeable, personable dude they will meet and humble enough to teach character when they don't get to play that much bc they are out of the rotation and how to be a professional. I could be wrong, but I can totally see Bonner as the last big. (Also, will Pop want him to take Bertans under his wing?):lol

Yep. That's exactly what I think about Bonner.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 11:30 AM
I can't imagine Bonner outlasting Tim. Just doesn't feel right.

SAGirl
07-14-2016, 11:35 AM
It's incredible but if there was a season Bonner didn't make sense, it was last season. This season I think he has more to give than last.

Drom John
07-14-2016, 11:37 AM
Well, I can imagine Bonner outlasting Tim. It's very credible.
There are a lot less mileage on Matt's knees.

Keepin' it real
07-14-2016, 11:39 AM

Kind of like cockroaches outlasting humans.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 11:41 AM
Kind of like cockroaches outlasting humans.

Was thinking that exactly, actually.

AFBlue
07-14-2016, 11:42 AM
I just don't see Forbes being signed outside of Austin Toros or along those lines. Too many rookies and not sure Forbes has shown enough in Vegas, but who knows. It also depends on who else is still out there in Free Agency that the Spurs might want. PG and PF/C are still areas they may want to address (i.e. Felton, Robinson, etc....)

Personally I think one of Forbes and Arci will be signed to the big club, whether that's a guaranteed contract out of training camp or at some point in the season. Both are good enough to be NBA-caliber role players from what I've seen so far. Hope they don't get picked up by another team of the Spurs don't guarantee their deals.

picnroll
07-14-2016, 11:42 AM
Well, I can imagine Bonner outlasting Tim. It's very credible.
There are a lot less mileage on Matt's knees.
Knees yes. Ass no.

minuzzo21
07-14-2016, 11:43 AM
No more Bonner, please! We need a big who can help us to rebound!

Chinook
07-14-2016, 11:47 AM
Personally I think one of Forbes and Arci will be signed to the big club, whether that's a guaranteed contract out of training camp or at some point in the season. Both are good enough to be NBA-caliber role players from what I've seen so far. Hope they don't get picked up by another team of the Spurs don't guarantee their deals.

To be clear, team's don't sign players "out of training camp" the 20 guys they bring into camp are under deals that last at least through the season. So there is literally no chance of a player tearing it up in camp and getting poached by another team with a bigger offer. The closest anyone has come to that was Novak a few years ago where the Spurs agreed to cut him because the Knicks told him they'd give him a guaranteed offer.

The talk is that both Forbes and Arcidiacono are going to be signed to deals as soon as the cap moves are done. So we'll be able to see them compete in camp with no concern about other teams.

And I'm not trying to attack you by bringing it up. It's just a misconception some people have. Isaiah Thomas also talking about giving a player a contract out of camp yesterday. It's scary that the dude spent years as an NBA executive and didn't know that it doesn't work that way.

ceperez
07-14-2016, 11:54 AM
To be clear, team's don't sign players "out of training camp" the 20 guys they bring into camp are under deals that last at least through the season. So there is literally no chance of a player tearing it up in camp and getting poached by another team with a bigger offer. The closest anyone has come to that was Novak a few years ago where the Spurs agreed to cut him because the Knicks told him they'd give him a guaranteed offer.

The talk is that both Forbes and Arcidiacono are going to be signed to deals as soon as the cap moves are done. So we'll be able to see them compete in camp with no concern about other teams.

And I'm not trying to attack you by bringing it up. It's just a misconception some people have. Isaiah Thomas also talking about giving a player a contract out of camp yesterday. It's scary that the dude spent years as an NBA executive and didn't know that it doesn't work that way.

You do have to ask why Spurs signed two 6'3" guards (Forbes and Arcidiacono). It is as if they are trying to fill a void at the guard spot.

AFBlue
07-14-2016, 11:57 AM

I was assuming one of two paths for each player on a partially guaranteed deal. Either you make the cut out of training camp and your deal is fully guaranteed, or you don't make the cut and you're a free agent eligible to be signed by other teams. Is that not how it works? Appreciate the insight.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 11:59 AM
You do have to ask why Spurs signed two 6'3" guards (Forbes and Arcidiacono). It is as if they are trying to fill a void at the guard spot.

I mean, I don't think there's much of a chance they don't have seven guards on the roster (and that's with considering Simmons a forward).

offset formation
07-14-2016, 12:02 PM
It's incredible but if there was a season Bonner didn't make sense, it was last season. This season I think he has more to give than last.

It's like you're in my brain or something.

sasaint
07-14-2016, 12:02 PM

I absolutely agree. However, if both Arci and Bryn are signed to contracts, Bonner is the odd man out. (If he is resigned there will be a season-long ST meltdown.)

Chinook
07-14-2016, 12:03 PM
I was assuming one of two paths for each player on a partially guaranteed deal. Either you make the cut out of training camp and your deal is fully guaranteed, or you don't make the cut and you're a free agent eligible to be signed by other teams. Is that not how it works? Appreciate the insight.

Deals can certainly be structured that way by having a guaranteed date for the day after the cut deadline. But that's not how it works normally. If you're trying to make a team in camp, your deal is usually mostly non-guaranteed, with the guarantee date in January (as mandated for all contracts by the league). Making the roster is almost never a trigger itself.

There is sometimes a slight difference that comes with camp contracts, but that has to do with the injury guarantee being reduced. That could be the case with Forbes and Arcidiacono, though signing early means they probably just got regular deals with little guaranteed money. But it will likely be the case that the 19th and 20th men have that type of deal. Pretty sure Ndoye's deal last season is an example of this.

ceperez
07-14-2016, 12:04 PM
I mean, I don't think there's much of a chance they don't have seven guards on the roster (and that's with considering Simmons a forward).

Then why bother if there is no need?

I believe they already knew that Murray wasn't going to be playable until he gets seasoned.

ceperez
07-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Deals can certainly be structured that way by having a guaranteed date for the day after the cut deadline. But that's not how it works normally. If you're trying to make a team in camp, your deal is usually mostly non-guaranteed, with the guarantee date in January (as mandated for all contracts by the league). Making the roster is almost never a trigger itself.

There is sometimes a slight difference that comes with camp contracts, but that has to do with the injury guarantee being reduced. That could be the case with Forbes and Arcidiacono, though signing early means they probably just got regular deals with little guaranteed money. But it will likely be the case that the 19th and 20th men have that type of deal. Pretty sure Ndoye's deal last season is an example of this.

I understand that the Forbes deal was guaranteed (just the salary). Did Arcidiacono also get the same kind of deal?

Chinook
07-14-2016, 12:08 PM
Then why bother if there is no need?

Why bother with what? The Spurs are set to play small a lot this season, so having more guards makes sense. It makes double sense giving the expiring natures of Manu's, Mills' and Simmons' deals. It doesn't hurt to get depth where you need it most.

I believe they already knew that Murray wasn't going to be playable until he gets seasoned.

Buford said as much in his post-draft conference. And I'm a fan of them bringing in a guy so they never need Murray this season. But I doubt they feel Forbes or Arcidiacono are locks to get playing time over Dejounte right now.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 12:10 PM
I understand that the Forbes deal was guaranteed (just the salary). Did Arcidiacono also get the same kind of deal?

I really think that article was just wrong. My guess is that Forbes and Arcidiacono got identical contracts, both of which are two-year deals at the min with small guarantees.

AFBlue
07-14-2016, 12:14 PM
I really think that article was just wrong. My guess is that Forbes and Arcidiacono got identical contracts, both of which are two-year deals at the min with small guarantees.

What do you think the odds are that both are retained through camp?

SAGirl
07-14-2016, 12:17 PM
It's like you're in my brain or something.:toast
Frankly b4 Diaw was traded and while Boban was still in the picture as a possibility to be signed, I didn't think we would see Bonner again, but with things as they are right now it's a different scenario, the big market is now thin, the guys out there that are worth getting are looking to get paid more, etc. Once I saw Humphries with a 1 yr 4 mill deal, Bonner all of a sudden started looking like a possibility.

It's scary how thin Spurs are right now. Kawhi will have to carry a large burden this season and he's always been managed in minutes. And dare I say it if we have an injury to a key guy we are headed for the lottery. We just don't have the depth right now. Last season we survived injuries bc Boban/Anderson/Simmons stepped up. Now Boban is gone, and Anderson and Simmons are rotation players.

Behind the rotation players there's not the quality that there was last season. I think Bertans will play a lot anyways, when Manu rests. And he's my likely candidate to play minutes for Pop as a rookie.

But overall, just got to pray we stay healthy.

offset formation
07-14-2016, 12:20 PM
Steph is also only 6'3". Perhaps Pop is looking for someone like Forbes that can shoot well from 3 and that can spell Mills for stretches of time when guarding Steph. Mills is just too short. Tony simply can't stay in front of him.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 12:21 PM
What do you think the odds are that both are retained through camp?

If you mean of the making it as a duo almost none, barring a Mills trade. Even then, at least one would be cut as soon as the Spurs found a vet PG. If you mean individually, I'd put Forbes at 65 percent and Arcidiacono at 25 percent. Forbes has a legit NBA skill, even though Arcidiacono is a better player. The remaining 10 percent is if someone like Hanlan gets signed or if they bring in another young guard.

kobyz
07-14-2016, 12:24 PM
We still need a small ball 4, Slowmo is to liability on defense to be that!

offset formation
07-14-2016, 12:25 PM
:toast
Frankly b4 Diaw was traded and while Boban was still in the picture as a possibility to be signed, I didn't think we would see Bonner again, but with things as they are right now it's a different scenario, the big market is now thin, the guys out there that are worth getting are looking to get paid more, etc. Once I saw Humphries with a 1 yr 4 mill deal, Bonner all of a sudden started looking like a possibility.

It's scary how thin Spurs are right now. Kawhi will have to carry a large burden this season and he's always been managed in minutes. And dare I say it if we have an injury to a key guy we are headed for the lottery. We just don't have the depth right now. Last season we survived injuries bc Boban/Anderson/Simmons stepped up. Now Boban is gone, and Anderson and Simmons are rotation players.

Behind the rotation players there's not the quality that there was last season. I think Bertans will play a lot anyways, when Manu rests. And he's my likely candidate to play minutes for Pop as a rookie.

I agree. Here's to hoping Bertans and someone else like Forbes are better than we know so far.

I would say I think our starting 5 are better offensively than last year, which should take a little pressure off Kawhi. We can certainly stretch it better on both sides of the floor. In some respects, I would speculate we might even have a better high-low game as well...even though LA and Duncan did fairly well with that last year.

offset formation
07-14-2016, 12:27 PM
We still need a small ball 4, Slowmo is to liability on defense to be that!

Not against a 4. He played well in the paint last year. His deficiency is out on the perimter.

NASpurs
07-14-2016, 12:55 PM
:lol

Chinook
07-14-2016, 12:56 PM
:lol

Shit, this is getting bad. What's Chris Singleton up to?

NASpurs
07-14-2016, 01:00 PM

picnroll
07-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Gotta wonder if Aldridge is starting to feel sorry about signing on with the Spurs.

Ron Swanson
07-14-2016, 01:01 PM
We're bringing back Bonner.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 01:04 PM
Shit, this is getting bad. What's Chris Singleton up to?

Even he's signed.

http://www.eurobasket.com/VTB%20United%20League/news/451817/Panathinaikos-tab-Chris-Singleton,-ex-Anhui

TheGreatYacht
07-14-2016, 01:05 PM
What a selfish POS Manure is

Chinook
07-14-2016, 01:07 PM
Gotta wonder if Aldridge is starting to feel sorry about signing on with the Spurs.

I don't think he's remotely concerned with the team waiting to sign a 14th or 15th guy. Even at his age, Gasol would be the best or second-best teammate Aldridge had if he was still in Portland.

Nathan89
07-14-2016, 01:10 PM
:toast

The only way we head to the lottery is if that injury happens to Leonard.

Leetonidas
07-14-2016, 01:11 PM

Why? if it wasnt for GS getting Durant which the whole league cant matchup against then Spurs would be looking good as anyone next season imo. Spurs are aiming for next summer imo

Nathan89
07-14-2016, 01:11 PM
Steph is also only 6'3". Perhaps Pop is looking for someone like Forbes that can shoot well from 3 and that can spell Mills for stretches of time when guarding Steph. Mills is just too short. Tony simply can't stay in front of him.

Forbes hasn't shot well in many games now.

NASpurs
07-14-2016, 01:12 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/player_tracker/free_agent

Quincy Acy or bust. Dude blew his load against the Spurs last year.

Snaq O'Meal
07-14-2016, 01:13 PM

A team with Aldridge and Gasol will not be lottery bound.

NikosChelsea7
07-14-2016, 01:16 PM

Nathan89
07-14-2016, 01:16 PM
A team with Aldridge and Gasol will not be lottery bound.

It's would be unlikely because it's not that difficult to win in the regular season in this league but that'd be the only way.

NikosChelsea7
07-14-2016, 01:39 PM

NASpurs
07-14-2016, 01:39 PM

NikosChelsea7
07-14-2016, 01:42 PM

jyra
07-14-2016, 01:42 PM
Hm shouldn't Bertans be signed before Dedmon (I assume he signed for the Room exception)? Did Bertans accept a min. contract, or am I just missing something here?

Chinook
07-14-2016, 01:44 PM
I'm actually not sure what's going on here. Dedmon for the room exception DEFINITELY means the cap space is over. Murray at 120 percent implied it, but both of these things happening means the Bertans may not get cap space.

And if he doesn't I can understand why the Spurs tarried. They had almost $2 Million they could have used on somebody if Davis wasn't getting it.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 01:45 PM
Hm shouldn't Bertans be signed before Dedmon (I assume he signed for the Room exception)? Did Bertans accept a min. contract, or am I just missing something here?

Looks like it. But that would be very stupid. The team had more money they could have given him, and they could have gotten an extra year or a team option on the second year, both of which have value.

Rev Hill
07-14-2016, 01:48 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/player_tracker/free_agent

Quincy Acy or bust. Dude blew his load against the Spurs last year.

No. Don't need a 6'7" power forward on this team. Would rather have a one of several other players...Hickson, Lee, Bass...

Seventyniner
07-14-2016, 01:48 PM

Looks Like He Went To The George Hill School Of Capitalization.

SpursFan86
07-14-2016, 01:53 PM

I never understood why people type like that :lol It's not even like it's a shortcut or anything...it's quite annoying capitalizing the first letter of every word as if you're writing a 20+ word title or something.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 01:54 PM

Guess We Know Who One Fake Fan Is.

MaNu4Tres
07-14-2016, 01:58 PM
Quincy Acy for the minimum, please.

SAGirl
07-14-2016, 02:03 PM
And it obviously depends how long it is. I think one of our two best bigs going down for a lengthy period would also do it.... bc we just don't have much depth IMO and LMA was still a significant scorer. Luckily though LMA and Gasol had healthy seasons and so did Leonard. I think Pop will keep them healthy.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 02:06 PM
And it obviously depends how long it is. I think one of our two best bigs going down for a lengthy period would also do it.... bc we just don't have much depth IMO and LMA was still a significant scorer. Luckily though LMA and Gasol had healthy seasons and so did Leonard. I think Pop will keep them healthy.

I don't think it's anywhere near that dire. The team could get by fine with only one of those bigs for a long stretch. Same goes for Leonard. Sure, they'd take a hit, but you're still talking about a well-coached team with talented players. If teams like Dallas can make the playoffs with how terrible they've been recently, the Spurs could, too.

SAGirl
07-14-2016, 02:11 PM
I don't think it's anywhere near that dire. The team could get by fine with only one of those bigs for a long stretch. Same goes for Leonard. Sure, they'd take a hit, but you're still talking about a well-coached team with talented players. If teams like Dallas can make the playoffs with how terrible they've been recently, the Spurs could, too. I guess so, but I had never seen a Spurs team that was this top heavy. I haven't been a Spurs fan that long mind you. The teams I have watched since 2013 were teams that had a lot of depth.

coachmac87
07-14-2016, 02:15 PM
I guess so, but I had never seen a Spurs team that was this top heavy. I haven't been a Spurs fan that long mind you. The teams I have watched since 2013 were teams that had a lot of depth.

What made you a Spurs fan and who were you a fan of before?

Chinook
07-14-2016, 02:16 PM
I guess so, but I had never seen a Spurs team that was this top heavy. I haven't been a Spurs fan that long mind you. The teams I have watched since 2013 were teams that had a lot of depth.

It's easy to have depth when you hang out over the cap for like a dozen years (literally). MLE signings start adding up, you can keep your own guys comfortably. You have less to think about when making trades. When you use cap space, you have to let a bunch of guys go every year. I think they settle back into a long time of no cap space after 2018, or they might even do it after next summer if Gasol opts out and they get a long-term answer at C and PG.

Anyway, the Spurs have prospects, and you just have to hope those guys play well. For regular-season games, I'm pretty confident they can get by most nights.

Seventyniner
07-14-2016, 02:21 PM
I never understood why people type like that :lol It's not even like it's a shortcut or anything...it's quite annoying capitalizing the first letter of every word as if you're writing a 20+ word title or something.

Just typing that was difficult. :lol
Maybe some phones have a setting that automatically capitalizes the first letter of each word? Seems useless though.

Seventyniner
07-14-2016, 02:23 PM
It's easy to have depth when you hang out over the cap for like a dozen years (literally). MLE signings start adding up, you can keep your own guys comfortably. You have less to think about when making trades. When you use cap space, you have to let a bunch of guys go every year. I think they settle back into a long time of no cap space after 2018, or they might even do it after next summer if Gasol opts out and they get a long-term answer at C and PG.

Anyway, the Spurs have prospects, and you just have to hope those guys play well. For regular-season games, I'm pretty confident they can get by most nights.

If memory serves me there a push in one of the CBA negotiations to get rid of the MLE, but the players pushed back hard at that.

The MLE is one of the things that kind of makes a mockery of the salary cap anyway. If the league really wanted parity they wouldn't allow teams to operate over it so easily. Not allowing tax-paying teams to receive a player in a sign-and-trade was a step in the right direction imo.

SAGirl
07-14-2016, 02:24 PM
What made you a Spurs fan and who were you a fan of before?
I moved to SA around that time (husband in the military). I had not watched or followed basketball b4, but I switched states, homes, moved, found myself in a new place and the Spurs are a big thing locally. Saw a few games on TV with husband and I was surprised the team was still that good. I mean even a casual fan knew the big 3 from winning championships but that was a long ass time ago. I was intrigued by their young guys, etc. I was more attracted to the team building, the culture of the team etc. I am therefore a little bit more attached to younger players than the old big 3. It's been interesting for me to see Kawhi develop and the team around him, etc. I just have a different perspective I guess.

coachmac87
07-14-2016, 02:29 PM
I moved to SA around that time (husband in the military). I had not watched or followed basketball b4, but I switched states, homes, moved, found myself in a new place and the Spurs are a big thing locally. Saw a few games on TV with husband and I was surprised the team was still that good. I mean even a casual fan knew the big 3 from winning championships but that was a long ass time ago. I was intrigued by their young guys, etc. I was more attracted to the team building, the culture of the team etc. I am therefore a little bit more attached to younger players than the old big 3. It's been interesting for me to see Kawhi develop and the team around him, etc. I just have a different perspective I guess.

Interesting. I wouldn't have known you've only been a fan for 3 years or so due to the way you talk about the game and players. It's awesome to hear and see how the Spurs have made you passionate for the game of basketball

Chinook
07-14-2016, 02:30 PM

So why are you SAGirl if you aren't from the area?

Anyway, my interest curve is similar to yours, but it started earlier. I am the only basketball fan in my immediate family, but I just sort of watched dumbly until about 2008 or so. So I was more attached to the new players of that came around that time (Hill, Blair, Splitter, Green, Hairston). I remember Robinson, Elliott, Avery, etc. But those aren't MY Spurs. Even the Big Three were more like an older sibling's friends than my own.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 02:32 PM
If memory serves me there a push in one of the CBA negotiations to get rid of the MLE, but the players pushed back hard at that.

The MLE is one of the things that kind of makes a mockery of the salary cap anyway. If the league really wanted parity they wouldn't allow teams to operate over it so easily. Not allowing tax-paying teams to receive a player in a sign-and-trade was a step in the right direction imo.

I think it's mandatory given how the cap is actually going to drop. There are so many team that just don't seem prepared to go from trying to make the minimum salary to being tax payers. The Spurs are one of the few that seem like they're ready for the changes that are about to occur.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Btb, Redick's being an idiot on Twitter.

raybies
07-14-2016, 02:37 PM
San Antonio Spurs ‏@spurs (https://twitter.com/spurs) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/spurs/status/753674470141759488)San Antonio, TX (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A3df4f427b5a60fea)
Spurs sign forward Davis Bertans » http://gospu.rs/29ywRK5 (https://t.co/nYlQfLiA6w)Welcome to the squad, @DBertans_42 (https://twitter.com/DBertans_42)!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnWPy1XUEAEiZZW.jpg

NikosChelsea7
07-14-2016, 02:38 PM
Nevermind.

Chinook
There we go.

NASpurs
Hopefully one ginger is enough.

raybies
well that should be it. So we should see, Manu sign soon and then free agents

loveforthegame
07-14-2016, 02:39 PM
Not there was any doubt but it's nice to see the signings happening. :tu

ElNono
07-14-2016, 02:39 PM
San Antonio Spurs ‏@spurs (https://twitter.com/spurs) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/spurs/status/753674470141759488)San Antonio, TX (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A3df4f427b5a60fea)
Spurs sign forward Davis Bertans » http://gospu.rs/29ywRK5 (https://t.co/nYlQfLiA6w)Welcome to the squad, @DBertans_42 (https://twitter.com/DBertans_42)!

yes! hope he's good.

coachmac87
07-14-2016, 02:41 PM

Anyway, my interest curve is similar to yours, but it started earlier. I am the only basketball fan in my immediate family, but I just sort of watched dumbly until about 2008 or so. So I was more attached to the new players of that came around that time (Hill, Blair, Splitter, Green, Hairston). I remember Robinson, Elliott, Avery, etc. But those aren't MY Spurs. Even the Big Three were more like an older sibling's friends than my own.

Where you from? Why the Spurs in 08'?

LakerHater
07-14-2016, 02:41 PM

damn :bang

objective
07-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Bertans announcement could have been delayed waiting on fiba clearance, contract probably turned in before dedmon

Solid D
07-14-2016, 02:42 PM
:tu

raybies
07-14-2016, 02:45 PM
Hopefully this means we can see him in Summer League tomorrow. And out of curiosity, why is Milutinov in town if he wasn't going to play? Maybe the Spurs were working him out against the Summer Spurs to evaluate him. The only move we can make to afford him from what I know is trading Patty, and if we do that we would have some space for a center too. I'm sure the Spurs wouldn't really want to do that with all the influx of youth and new players. Gonna need character and leadership in this transition period. But on the flip side we are most likely gonna lose him after this season with the market the way it is. I don't know if PATFO will want to spend around ten mill for him, which I'm guessing.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 02:48 PM
Where you from? Why the Spurs in 08'?

Austin. Born and raised, and still living here. Spurs are my team because they were always my team. But I didn't care about the intellectual aspect of sports until I was an adult. I went away from college and didn't get to watch the games, so I had to read about them instead. Changes your perspective.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 02:48 PM
Bertans announcement could have been delayed waiting on fiba clearance, contract probably turned in before dedmon

Yes, that's easily the best explanation. Plus, I think Laboral Kuxta just accepted the buyout yesterday.

SAGirl
07-14-2016, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the perspective. Cap issues confuse me. :tu

SPURt
07-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Btb, Redick's being an idiot on Twitter.
He's basically saying he's on the side of players choosing to create super teams and that super teams haven't equaled true dominance since there's been 5 different champs in 6 seasons.

Commissioner Silver's stance is probably the position of every owner not in Golden State. Luckily this season will need to be played in order for any real conclusions to be made. Fortunately for JJ, the Warriors would need to make the league seem uncompetitive for a Bulls type run (6 chips in 8 years) in order for the economics to have a legit shot at being negatively impacted. JJ will be retired or close to it by the time those chickens would come home to roost.

It it will be culturally interesting to see if that type of winning will be embraced in today's society. The Bulls were loved globally on the fame of MJ. Now that KD is the villain and global fans are more informed it could have the opposite effect. Either way, I think the popularity of the sport will remain intact regardless of the Warroirs success.

NASpurs
07-14-2016, 02:51 PM

coachmac87
07-14-2016, 02:52 PM
Austin. Born and raised, and still living here. Spurs are my team because they were always my team. But I didn't care about the intellectual aspect of sports until I was an adult. I went away from college and didn't get to watch the games, so I had to read about them instead. Changes your perspective.

Nice! Hook em

LakerHater
07-14-2016, 02:52 PM
WTF

NASpurs
07-14-2016, 02:53 PM

Chinook
07-14-2016, 02:54 PM
He's basically saying he's on the side of players choosing to create super teams and that super teams haven't equaled true dominance since there's been 5 different champs in 6 seasons.

Commissioner Silver's stance is probably the position of every owner not in Golden State. Luckily this season will need to be played in order for any real conclusions to be made. Fortunately for JJ, the Warriors would need to make the league seem uncompetitive for a Bulls type run (6 chips in 8 years) in order for the economics to have a legit shot at being negatively impacted. JJ will be retired or close to it by the time those chickens would come home to roost.

It it will be culturally interesting to see if that type of winning will be embraced in today's society. The Bulls were loved globally on the fame of MJ. Now that KD is the villain and global fans are more informed it could have the opposite effect. Either way, I think the popularity of the sport will remain intact regardless of the Warroirs success.

There's a big difference in making trades and getting clearance from players before bringing in a superteam and just having cap quirks allow you to have two MVPs without giving up money. Silver is trying to make it harder for teams to game the system, not for players to take less money to have good teams.

I. Hustle
07-14-2016, 02:55 PM
WTF

They always sign more players than what they need. They just have to be cut by the deadline. Nothing to see here.

TXstbobcat
07-14-2016, 02:56 PM

I was raised in Austin too. I lived there for 28 years.

LakerHater
07-14-2016, 02:57 PM
They always sign more players than what they need. They just have to be cut by the deadline. Nothing to see here.

maybe jus for training camp?

coachmac87
07-14-2016, 02:58 PM

This kid will make the final roster....

Hoping LJC doesn't

Ditty
07-14-2016, 02:59 PM
It's probably a park ally guaranteed contract so they can have him in camp. Stokes will probably get the same thing here soon.

Drom John
07-14-2016, 03:01 PM
Larry Coon:

70. What is a summer contract?

A summer contract is typically used for training camp invitees, because the player's salary is not included in team salary until the first day of the regular season. In other words, it is a "make-good" contract -- the player must make the team's opening day roster in order to receive his salary and for his contract to be included in team salary.

If the player is a veteran free agent who last played for that team, the contract must be for one season at the minimum salary (see question number 16). In all other cases there are no special limits to the salary or number of years -- a team could theoretically sign a player to a summer contract for four seasons at the maximum salary. However, summer contracts frequently utilize Exhibit 9 of the Uniform Player Contract, which adds further limitations (see below).

A summer contract can be signed from the first day after the July Moratorium (see question number 104) to the last day before the regular season. To avoid counting as team salary, the player must clear waivers prior to the first day of the regular season. To qualify as a summer contract no compensation of any kind can be earned or paid prior to the start of the regular season. The salary cannot be guaranteed or insured. However, the player may receive per diem, lodging and transportation expenses, and disability insurance covering summer leagues and training camp.

Since summer contracts do not count against the team's cap until the start of the regular season, teams can effectively sign players to summer contracts when they do not have room (cap room or an exception) for the contract, and delay creating the necessary room until the start of the regular season.

A summer contract does not need to utilize Exhibit 9 of the Uniform Player Contract (One Season, Non-Guaranteed Training Camp Contracts), but doing so limits the team's liability in the event the player becomes injured. If a player with an Exhibit 9 becomes injured and unable to play basketball prior to the team's first regular season game and the injury is a direct result of playing basketball for the team, then the team pays the player $6,000 when it waives him. This is in lieu of the rule for ordinary contracts guaranteeing the salary of an injured player until he is ready to play again or until the end of that season, whichever comes first (see question number 64). If Exhibit 9 is used, the contract must be for one season at the minimum salary, with no bonuses of any kind.

A team cannot sign a player using Exhibit 9 unless it has at least 14 players on its roster, not including summer contracts.

When a player on a summer contract is traded before the start of the regular season, his salary for trade purposes is $0 and the trade is treated the same as a trade for draft rights. Teams cannot receive trade exceptions (see question number 85) when trading summer contracts, and the acquiring team does not need to match salaries, have cap room, or use an exception. However, the acquiring team must create the necessary room or designate an exception prior to the start of the regular season, when the player's salary is added to the team's cap.

SAGirl
07-14-2016, 03:02 PM
Interesting. I wouldn't have known you've only been a fan for 3 years or so due to the way you talk about the game and players. It's awesome to hear and see how the Spurs have made you passionate for the game of basketball
I have learned along the way. Found myself with too much time early in SA and read or watched videos from coaches in YouTube to learn.

NASpurs
07-14-2016, 03:04 PM

DPG21920
I don't think it's anywhere near that dire. The team could get by fine with only one of those bigs for a long stretch. Same goes for Leonard. Sure, they'd take a hit, but you're still talking about a well-coached team with talented players. If teams like Dallas can make the playoffs with how terrible they've been recently, the Spurs could, too.

You are being very Dude & I like that. But I just think you are underestimating the lack of talent (possibly) on the bench and the holes. The Spurs only have 3 NBA caliber bigs as of now on the roster and Pau is older. Any injury puts the Spurs in a very tight spot.

*Could* things work out? Sure, but Spurs are on thin ice both at guard and PF/C.

Chinook
Nice! Hook em

Ew. You mean Gig 'Em.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 03:05 PM
Larry Coon:

As always, Drom, much appreciate insight.

NASpurs
07-14-2016, 03:07 PM

Chinook
07-14-2016, 03:08 PM
WTF

I love how the tweet makes it seem like it's a big announcement. They'll sign five guys who won't be on the final roster.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 03:10 PM
You are being very Dude & I like that. But I just think you are underestimating the lack of talent (possibly) on the bench and the holes. The Spurs only have 3 NBA caliber bigs as of now on the roster and Pau is older. Any injury puts the Spurs in a very tight spot.

*Could* things work out? Sure, but Spurs are on thin ice both at guard and PF/C.

The Spurs won 60 games with Old McDyess, Blair and Bonner as their rotational bigs around Tim (who was not yet in his Indian Summer). They can get by for a stretch with one Pau or LMA with Anderson, Bertans or LJC filling in next to him and another next to Dedmon.

Darius Bieber
07-14-2016, 03:11 PM
These are just preseason player signings. Just like Jimmer was last year.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 03:12 PM
These are just preseason player signings. Just like Jimmer was last year.

Indeed. I'm expecting three more bigs and probably Washburn to be added the roster within the next week or so.

SAGirl
07-14-2016, 03:13 PM

:toast I love SA, I didn't think too much about the hashname. I could ask why you are Chinook? I wonder lol

NASpurs
07-14-2016, 03:13 PM

DPG21920
07-14-2016, 03:14 PM
The Spurs won 60 games with Old McDyess, Blair and Bonner as their rotational bigs around Tim (who was not yet in his Indian Summer). They can get by for a stretch with one Pau or LMA with Anderson, Bertans or LJC filling in next to him and another next to Dedmon.

That was with a better TP/Manu (they both played nearly the entire season). If SA had the guard depth and bench talent I would agree - but again, no one is saying it's impossible but to not even seemingly acknowledge the potential holes when they seem to be just as likely as the good?

spurs1990
Lineup as of 7/14

PG - Parker, Mills, Murray
SG - Green, Simmons, Forbes
SF - Leonard, Ginobili, Archiacando
PF - Gasol, Anderson, Bertans
C - Aldridge, Dedman, ??

Losses:
PG - Miller
SG - Martin
PF - Duncan, West, Diaw, Bonner
C - Marjanovich

NASpurs

DPG21920
07-14-2016, 03:15 PM

And I think they had Tiago playing 15-20 MPG as well...

Darius Bieber
07-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Indeed. I'm expecting three more bigs and probably Washburn to be added the roster within the next week or so.

In your opinion, who would be our Rasual Butler this year? (No guaranteed contract guy who got signed for the season)

SAGirl
07-14-2016, 03:17 PM
Austin Torosssssssss! Man I regret now not seeing Kyle slowmo drives in person for cheap in the Toros. I saw his games on YouTube but I didn't know I would become this kind of crazy fan back then. :flag::lmao

look_at_g_shred
07-14-2016, 03:21 PM
Lineup as of 7/14

C - Aldridge, Dedman, ??

Losses:
PG - Miller
SG - Martin
C - Marjanovich
Uhhh ?

Chinook
07-14-2016, 03:28 PM
:toast I love SA, I didn't think too much about the hashname. I could ask why you are Chinook? I wonder lol

My avatar is a chinook. Have an appreciation for ichthyology. Would work at a fishery in another life.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 03:30 PM
In your opinion, who would be our Rasual Butler this year? (No guaranteed contract guy who got signed for the season)

Seems to be too much money to get guys on the cheap. Would love Acy, to echo what M43 said.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 03:30 PM
And I think they had Tiago playing 15-20 MPG as well...

I still think the current group is better than that.

Chinook
07-14-2016, 03:31 PM
That was with a better TP/Manu (they both played nearly the entire season). If SA had the guard depth and bench talent I would agree - but again, no one is saying it's impossible but to not even seemingly acknowledge the potential holes when they seem to be just as likely as the good?

They have an MVP candidate now and other good players.

SAGirl
07-14-2016, 03:33 PM
Hopefully this means we can see him in Summer League tomorrow. And out of curiosity, why is Milutinov in town if he wasn't going to play? Maybe the Spurs were working him out against the Summer Spurs to evaluate him. The only move we can make to afford him from what I know is trading Patty, and if we do that we would have some space for a center too. I'm sure the Spurs wouldn't really want to do that with all the influx of youth and new players. Gonna need character and leadership in this transition period. But on the flip side we are most likely gonna lose him after this season with the market the way it is. I don't know if PATFO will want to spend around ten mill for him, which I'm guessing.
Yes I think they are in a bind with Patty. To me it's sounded like he's a Pop guy and Pop is loyal to his guys, but then again tiny shooters are almost a dime a dozen.

Possible character for a midseason trade maybe? If they need reinforcements and Forbes or someone else can replace his shooting?

DPG21920
07-14-2016, 03:34 PM
I still think the current group is better than that.

Well I take it you then will be colored shocked if the bench is a problem this year and/or big man depth is a problem (especially if there is an injury)?

You seem to think SA has a lot of really good for sure NBA talent on the bench and that the big rotation is more than good as well.

Pau/LMA is beast and I love Dedmon as much as the next guy, but LJC/Kyle/Bertans is a Barrell full of questionable talent and questionable positions as far as being legit NBA PF/C's.

John Petrucci
07-14-2016, 03:34 PM
For those familiar with him, any predictions on whether or not Bertan's nice looking quick release on 3 will translate to NBA? Some of his highlights just look awesome.

I. Hustle
07-14-2016, 03:35 PM
maybe jus for training camp?

Pretty much. They test these guys out and they are still fighting for a roster spot. Then they have to be waived by a certain date.

SAGirl
Forbes made the team?

DPG21920
Also, I'm very happy with how good SA can be - have said so all along. Not arguing they aren't a great team and that an injury for sure crushes them. But I can see the glaring holes and the potential for calamity - even with just one injury. It's not a guarantee, but I would not be shocked either.

TheGreatYacht
07-14-2016, 03:36 PM
Really hope Arci doesn't make the final team. Forbes has potential though :tu

DPG21920
07-14-2016, 03:36 PM
Forbes made the team?

No. Just a Summer Contract.

NASpurs
07-14-2016, 03:37 PM

SPURt
07-14-2016, 03:37 PM
There's a big difference in making trades and getting clearance from players before bringing in a superteam and just having cap quirks allow you to have two MVPs without giving up money. Silver is trying to make it harder for teams to game the system, not for players to take less money to have good teams.
I don't think it's that much of a quirk. If Curry didn't explode after his last contract and had signed a max in the first place this summer looks a lot different for Golden State. It's a little different than the Heat or even the Spurs with LMA/Kawhi.

NASpurs
07-14-2016, 03:38 PM
All of these guys keep calling the organization "the Spurs family". Pop and RC did a number on them :lol

NASpurs
07-14-2016, 03:39 PM

ceperez
07-14-2016, 03:41 PM

Well, only $75k is guaranteed? Does he have the same contract as Forbes?

Found elsewhere, "The Spurs went a bit further, giving Forbes a one-year contract. If he makes their roster in training camp, he’ll earn the rookie minimum salary, around $543,000. "

coachmac87
07-14-2016, 03:42 PM
Lineup as of 7/14

C - Aldridge, Dedman, ??

Losses:
PG - Miller
SG - Martin
C - Marjanovich

Archi is not a 3 LMAO!!

kobyz
07-14-2016, 03:44 PM
I don't understand what the spurs doing with Boban and now Dedmon, singing them for just one year without them having enough time in just one year to learn the team and not going to help, and than losing them for nothing, what the sense in that?

SAGirl
07-14-2016, 03:44 PM
My avatar is a chinook. Have an appreciation for ichthyology. Would work at a fishery in another life.
Understood. Clearly I am completely ignorant on fishes. :lol